Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Welcome to I Choose Me, the podcast about learning to choose yourself. I am sitting across from someone who has run his fingers through my hair for a good part of twenty years now. To twenty years, Chaz Zine has seen me at my absolute best and my absolute worst, sometimes on the same day. And Chazz is the founder of When Haircare. He's a QBC superman and hairstylist to the stars. I cannot wait to share with you the reason for so many of my good hair days. Chazz Dean, Chassy Dean, you're here, I'm here. Well, we've been trying to make this happen for a while now, and I'm just so happy that you're here at my house and you are I don't know, You're just You're just the best.
Speaker 2: We go back, we go back. Oh so back, mm hmmm, so back.
Speaker 1: So back that it's you. You did the hair on us gals, Yeah, the nine two o gals. Yeah, back in the nineties.
Speaker 2: I know, to you and for you and Tori, I don't know if you say, and you don't have to. Are you're in the same age realm?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay. Reason I know this is because I went to her twenty first birthday at the House of Blue, as you remember, so I know I was doing your hair prior to that. That's the crazy part.
Speaker 1: So we don't know, we don't even know exactly.
Speaker 2: No, so before you were before you were twenty one, so you're probably nineteen or twenty when I started doing your hair, which is great.
Speaker 1: It hasn't been that long because I'm only twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Well, say thirty one, you are older. I was just a little two years older.
Speaker 1: Then back then, Oh my gosh, Well it just feels like we never lost ways because we kind of parted. What you did your thing, I did my thing. We didn't see each other for many years, and then QB happened reunited us.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: It's the best. Okay, First of all, you walked in here with a gift for Dottie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're new.
Speaker 1: When by kasdine win pet's luxury pet.
Speaker 2: Beds, she's like the sleeping I can't even.
Speaker 1: See her in there.
Speaker 2: She's in a fort she's in her own What is that fortress over there?
Speaker 1: That is gorgeous. I love the color, it's so perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got this small latte.
Speaker 1: We love the animals, don't we.
Speaker 2: My I just literally because we just got them last week. So I literally just put the large ones. And my boys still sleep in their crates because it lets them rest and sleep. If they're out, they're always you right now, they're always going. So when it's time for them to sleep, they're in their crate. So I put the large one in their crate and they it's like cocoon them. It's like this. They're just the happiest and it just went I just said yesterday because they've had He's in there, pats in them, but they actually have their faux fur they do in there, and I will start posting because just to watch them lay in it, it's like they're being hugged by it. It's they're so happy.
Speaker 1: It's the getting the dogs are getting a hug from chasdine. Who wouldn't want that for their pooch. You guys got to check it out for sure, because it's really cute.
Speaker 2: I've had the people climb in them too, just so you know. Everyone that's got there so far said the first end is got in them with my dog.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, do you think I'll fit in that one, not that one.
Speaker 2: We can get in with the large. Well, you need your medium a large. The large one is like a better upgraded version of bean bagshairs. Think of it that way.
Speaker 1: It is gorgeous. Well, thank you for that. You just I want to talk about when a little bit first, because where we see you built this incredible business, this brand, and you were a newbie in town. You were nineteen working at a salon and you were innovating even then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for other people, imagine that.
Speaker 1: With a concept, right and you that's where you first came up with your cleansing conditioner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was out of a product I created for another company, which is the Sexy Concept, Big Sexy Hair. I created their first ever three products and they're worldwide billionaires now, yes, but I created their first three products for them. And it's when I purchased the salon that I'm like, why am I using shampoo? Because it kept stripping the hair. I knew that I kept I think you remember, no, because I found you. Once I gave it up. I started adding vegetable color to the shampoo, think it would help the color stay. It didn't work so well. Added to the shampoo and the conditioner, but I knew the shampoo was stripping us. I'm like, how do I clean the hair and eliminate that. That's where it all started. Remember I used to mix you guys bottles and send you home with.
Speaker 1: Yes, you said that shampoo is like a harsh detergent stripping our hair.
Speaker 2: Of all that was like your clothes and how you strip your clothes and they lose, They lose elasticity, the color phades, They start to fray and fall apart because it's so harsh. I think, I know you know this about me. I washed my clothes. I cleansed my clothes, and when I really do, wait a second, it really too And I watched my dog bes and when no put it in the washing machine, you mix it. You dilute it first. You dilute it first, just like think of it as a concentrate. I mix it in the wind pet poddles. Because of the wind pet poddles. You put the cleansing conditioner in there, put water in there, shake it up to it. It's more I liquified and multified, and then I just add that to a washing machine. I usually do lavender, sometimes teachery, but lavender is so good and so calming. Oh my gosh, Yeah, it's real.
Speaker 1: You have all the flavors.
Speaker 2: It's real.
Speaker 1: We couldn't even wouldn't have time to list all the flavors you've developed over the years. But I think that it's just so impressive, Like I find your story so impressive, especially now revisiting you and seeing what you've done since we were our friendship was interrupted by whatever time. But I just think it's so incredible that you have built this business you have after you bought that first salon at nineteen. First of all, how did you do that?
Speaker 2: How did you.
Speaker 1: Buy a salon at nineteen? Did you have people supporting you, helping you, encouraging you.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the deal. Here's how it worked. I was lucky on one part. My brother when we were he was a teenager, I had aunts and uncles that lived in Hong Kong. So my grandparents took my brother on that trip and we I was next in line and then my sister. We were supposed to go, but it never happened. So when this opportunity came up, my grandfather says, here's what I'm minute to do. Since you didn't get to go to Hong Kong. I'm going to give you the money that for the you would have if you had gotten to go on that. So that's how it was, honestly a trade out, a trade out. I didn't get to Hong Kong. I got my salt.
Speaker 1: You got a business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a business. And then I borrowed money from my parents, but they didn't have we didn't come from money. I paid that back and so forth. They trusted me a reliable son, so I paid those back and I didn't have any money, so I maxed out credit cards just to renovate the space. And it wasn't major. It just made it feel a little more homelike. And was this the one in Beverly Hill Gun Center and the center?
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that spot. And then you purchased what has become your forever home. Chas Deine Studios started out as one bungalow and now it's six. You guys, you have to you have to go there. It's six beautiful bungalows. It's like you stepped into a little village. It's like a hair spa, day spa. You never want to leave spa.
Speaker 2: You just aha moment me because the reason what catalyzed me to do that is you remember the Star and inquire and all those magazines. Yeah, what made me actually do and this is a real and I don't talk about this barely. What made me do it is Torri was in my chair one day and she ordered pizza. She was eating pizza and I was highlighting her hair and she was on the cover of the Star Inquirer saying, Oh, toy's not natural blanc. I'm like, she never pretended to be, but it felt so violating and I knew I potentially would lose her as a client because she's in my chair at my salon. Because they used to drive by you. I don't know if you remember, drive by the windows slowly and tech do a click click click, because the Glen Center was a safe haven generally. When they discovered that a lot of celebs were hanging out and going there because it was a safe haven, they started to exploit that. Because Warren Baty used to be up to your member's offices were there, there were in that bending. There were so many people that would go up there. And once they discover it and they started exposing it, I knew I'm going to start losing these guy, I had the Gretzky's. I had so many people up there, e Er, Juliana, Margyliz. But my point is if they don't feel like they can come there and let their guard down and feel safe, I'm going to lose those people. So that's what made me move from an exclusive neighborhood in bel Air to Hollywood. When I moved to Hollywood is not what it is now, though it was dirty. It was before Hollywood and Highland before that was all random. Yeah, it was before that, and people thought I was insane. You're leaving one of the richest neighborhoods in California to go to Hollywood, which was like crack Alley. Then yeah, I remember going to my intuition.
Speaker 1: That's incredible though, what I mean people were calling you crazy and saying you should definitely not move to this location. But you knew in your gut. Have you always been a person that listens.
Speaker 2: To the because I don't question it. I'm just like, I don't know what it is. It's just imagine like a string being there and something pulling you towards it. I'm like, I'm not going to question it. I'm going to trust it. Even though when everyone around me is like, you're crazy, what are you doing, I'm like, I don't know. I just I'm trusting my intuition.
Speaker 1: That is so admirable because you were really young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really.
Speaker 1: Because a lot of people. Yeah, a lot of people listening. Maybe they have had these little inklings do brave things like that, but then they everyone them. Everyone talks you out of it.
Speaker 2: The other part that's important is my mom. Today's today's my my mom and dad both passed away. My mom twenty five years ago, my dad five years ago. Today is their wedding anniversary. So when you book this day, I'm like, oh my gosh, it's that's why this light going on off. I feel like it's them. I really think they're like, I'm here with you. It's their wedding anniversary. They were together. They were together since high school until my mom passed away of cancer and my dad five years ago. So my mom would always be worried and I'm like, Mom, I just knew this. As a kid, I would always say, mom, Leah, we grew up with cats, and when you take a cat and you drop it upside down, they always flip over. And as kids, you think that's fascinating or whatnot. You I don't know if you.
Speaker 1: Know that, is that true?
Speaker 2: If you do it on a bed to make sure, but you hold them upside down and they always flip over. At least I knew that as a kid. I remember that My cats.
Speaker 1: Are known to always slam on their.
Speaker 2: Feet, lamb on their feet, and I always told her that, my mom, I'm a leo, I'm a cat. Then she would always scratch my back and I'd be like a cat, like don't stop, don't stop. So I would remind her, I'm a leo. I will always let to my feet. If it's not this, I'll do that. If it's not that, I'll do that. She always worried, And I'm like, I have photography. If it's not photography, it'll be here. If it's not here, it'll be makeup. It's not this, I will always land on something. But she always worried for me. I'm like, you don't have to. The blessing in this is as you're asking about when she knew my vision, because it was nineteen ninety three in my vision. She was diagnosed in ninety six. She passed away in two thousand and one. So it took me all that time to launch it in November of two thousand, so just just three months before she passed away, I launched it so she was able to see my dream start in unfold, which is it's a lot. And I know she's been with me through the journey and whatnot. And I tell people like I know people that just lost their mom, like, just see them around you. They are now. And I learned this. She knew what she knew of me from what I let in when she passed away. It's like my brother passed four years before her freak accident. I don't know if you know this. In September thirteenth and ninety seven when we had El Nino, he saved a thirteen year old boycott and rip tie at Carlsbad State Beach. And I've never been there, but I've meet so many people from Carlsbad. I'm like, I lost my brother lost his life there. So he before her, Yeah, he died a hero. And she had been diagnosed with her cancer. And I remember as a child her telling us when we were in Pennsylvania, so I was probably ten eleven twelve. I remember being on drives and I don't know what started the conversation. I remember her saying, oh, I know, because we were going to relative funerals. And I remember her saying that she prayed to God none of her kids ever went before her, Oh my gosh, because she didn't know if she'd be able to handle that. And I remember I had to be the one to tell her. And this is before cell phones, and I'm not trying to name, but Paula was my client, Paul Abdul with my client time. Many people didn't have cell phones in ninety seven, but she had one. And when I found out that he had passed, she was there. She literally gave me her cell phone because didn't have cel phone. We had pagers maybe, but she gave me her cell phone because my parents were out in see Me Valley and I had to go out there and be the person to let my mom know that her son had passed. She had been diagnosed with cancer a year and a half at that point and going through treatment. And I remember when I didn't plan to go here, I didn't know where we were going today, but when I was one to tell her because I knew she had said she'd hope none of us ever went before her. She didn't know she could handle it. When I told her, I remember, it was like a well the sound that came out of her. No, I didn't like and hear it to this day it should have been me. I'm like, oh my god, don't say that.
Speaker 1: So that was a traumatic day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And when her time came, I just reminded her that you're going to be with Jimmy again. You'll get to see Jimmy again. You'll be united with Jimmy, and you fall along in her and it's okay, We'll be okay. So my point in that is is when she passed, I knew that he has shown me signs, so I knew that she would be around me. I knew that because he had shown me that you had already thought that. So thank god, I was prepared somewhat because I wasn't just I became spiritual. I had to know that there had to be something go ahead.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, I had that same experience, like you can't really feel it until you've been seeing very close, and then you know, you go through all the stages of.
Speaker 2: Grief of what is after this and yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Then then you get them back in the most beautiful.
Speaker 2: If you're open, if you see it, and my brother did. He did it right away. It was up in the Glen Center and birds flying in the salon, and I knew because you know, you know me, those doors were always open. I spent years and you remember that. So I saw the sign. So when my mom passed, it was the same thing. I realized that she knew as much about me as I shared with her. But now she knows everything about me. And I really one hundred percent believe that that she's omnipresent in my life. She sees things you might not even want to. You know what I mean in the shower is that they everything. But I'm being serious. They're omnipresent everywhere around you. Whereas before when she was here, it's like, oh, I forgot to share this with her. I forgot to tell her that, But they are so if that helps give people peace of mind, it's what I believe. And in middle school we learn that you can't destroy energy. It just changes forms.
Speaker 1: Right, we talk about it before. I've talked about it before with other people who've gone through it, and it is the same thing that I hear over and over is what you're experiencing what I've experienced and what I like to tell people who've just lost someone when they're ready to hear things. You know that this is the opportunity for you to have a whole new relationship with this person, which is really beautiful, so true, very hard to handle, but it's also very real. Yes back too, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I don't know how we got there, but with landing on my feet.
Speaker 1: Listen to your intuition, knowing that this West Hollywood, it's not even West hollywo it's Hollywood location. Was the home and now it is. It's basically the half the block.
Speaker 2: Yeah that it's honestly the whole block except one home. And they've been there since the sixties, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: And they're not they're not selling.
Speaker 2: Not yet. She said, to let me know when it is. I know where B two is. There's B one, B two, B three when I purchased B two and B three, which are the other bungalows the salons. When I first did that, I hadn't intended. It was the day I went and got my variants, meaning I could use it as a salon. I don't know if you know this. It used to be a film editing studio really, the one Bungalow, the one, the main one was a film editing studio and Rob Reiner edited every one of his films there. In Quentin Tarantino question, was edited there? A sure thing was.
Speaker 1: You've got some good Hollywood vibes in there.
Speaker 2: And I've had people, We've met people that are now our clients that their cousin lived upstairs in what was my office, and then someone else that lived there. So I we just had a client that was just in recently, and they were just random people that come like she, oh, she used to work there. She worked for the filmating studio. This was just like last month. So to have that history, because the buildings are around five years old, Yeah, they're from nineteen twenty one. So to have that history is really.
Speaker 1: It's really really cool. Did you have did chas Dein have? It sounds like this was easy for you, but I know it wasn't, and I want to never I want to ask you about like when you face obstacles, when you face the challenges, because I'm sure they started coming at you right away, how did you handle them?
Speaker 2: You just it's a part of the life. Thing you control, the things you can, and you have to accept the things you can't. And I remember my sister even saying the better kids when they're growing up, She's like, you know, is it a moral issue or not. If it's not a moral you'll deal with it and move on. It's the same sort of element. If it's something I can control, then you know I'm going to fix it, adjust to control it. If I can't, I have to see the best light of it, and how can I overcome this? So those happen regularly. I hate saying on a daily no, that's business. Yeah, problem with how the how the business has grown. It's like it's literally wake up and I don't even like saying anymore now knowing and I have this thing that we call it what's our blessing for today? It's like, look at us a blessing and turn it into instead of oh my gosh, like, okay, show me my lesson in this. And it's really hard to do.
Speaker 1: Your schedule is packed, and it can be overwhelming and daunting and become something that is like a grind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it had gotten to it's been since COVID. It's gotten the point where you're like you're almost afraid to wake up and look at your phone or your emails because you're like, what today, And I don't want to have that mindset. So we're trying to turn it over. Okay, what blessings we have coming today, and we're calling them back because there's got to be a blessing behind your in Somewhere's how I'm trying to see if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: You just said something about your transformation. What did you mean?
Speaker 2: My spiritual guidance was if you remember Reverend Dela re Slam touch by an angel for twenty five years, she was my minister and she became we became friends, close friends before she passed away, which was in twenty seventeen, so wow, almost nine years ago. She molded and shaped and helped me grow into who I am today. One hundred percent believe that. But it was she taught her lessons from her living the lessons as well. She would tell you her life and I've been this and that, and this has happened, and that happened. Here's what I did, and you've got to find the blessing in it. So it's going back to that. They just honored me, like a couple months I saw that I got honored, and I don't go as often because it's different. It's like she was, she was part of me, do you get what I mean? And it's different, it's not the same. So it makes it a little harder because she's not there. So it makes it harder. So I still practice my spirituality, it's just in my own realm, if that makes sense. So went back to it. So many of the people that when I used to go were there and from out of state and out of the country, ministers and so forth, and it just did bring it back of the message of like what is my blessing in here? Instead of why is this happening to me? It's like show me my blessing? What is my blessing? And you kind of have to because there's so many there are so many obstacles, and that what I was saying is since COVID, the obstacles have gotten much crazier. They really have. So I don't want.
Speaker 1: To talk about it, but I know that, like I know that there has been some legal stuff in your background with the brand that you've had to deal with, and I'm sure was really tough eleven years ago, believe it or by the way, if anybody's listening, going, why does he know every date? Chaz knows every date of everything that ever happened to him and to you, so crazy, He yes, like this memory of numbers, Yes, you're magical.
Speaker 2: I just found out. We just GVC thing. Take us back to I just spoke to it, and I believe because if you notice the thirteen, my mom is six thirteen, my brother was nine thirteen. It's like thirteenth. I've closed escrow at the Slawn on June thirteenth of ninety seven, on a Friday thirteenth. I just found out today because we spokes are a buyer. And she goes, I believe they're gonna have your TSB on November thirteenth, and it's a Friday the thirteenth. I'm like, oh my god, that is the best stuff for me because it connects all that. So having said that, yes, my numbers are and then she knows that I closed ESCO on this slaon on June thirteenth, she goes, that can be part of your story. I'm like, you don't even know. And it doesn't mean it's all good things like my brother passing. No, that's not a good thing, but it's still a prevalent, something significant significant. I closed escrow up my house when I moved out this lawn in Los Felis area on June thirteenth as well. You can't make those things happen.
Speaker 1: No, really, that's like serendipitous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When she said, oh, and it's my buyer's birthday is that day? November thirteenth is a Friday thirteenth, and she says they're birthday, I'm like, good, because it's great luck for me.
Speaker 1: Let's take it. Let's do this.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so beaking of a number of person, I am that person. I don't know why. It's just I've always been numbers, you know, with your color and all that numbers.
Speaker 1: It is so true. If your hair looks amazing, you feel amazing. And guess what the same is true about what you wear. Let's get a confidence boost this week. This is the whole reason Chazz created when This is the whole reason I created me by Jenny Garth with QBC. I have a collection designed to help women feel confident, comfortable, and effortlessly stylish. That's right, it's so easy. So at every stage of life, dressing just gets easier. Please head over to QBC dot com and explore my Me by Jenny Garth. All of our newest collections and styling tips can also be found by following us on Instagram at me by Jenny Garth. Thank you. As Chaz Deane ever doubted himself? Have you ever had limiting beliefs about you or what you can do? Because I talk about imposter syndrome sometimes I've had it, and a lot of people experience it, and so many people experience limiting thoughts. Maybe not beliefs, but just those thoughts that keep us from reaching for the next great thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. It's weird. I don't. I don't. You know me too, I don't have those because what it is is I know what works for me and doesn't. Like I'm not a mechanic and I'm not an electrician, So if I pretended I was, that would be different. So because I do things that I know, I can't like the gardening of this construction. I love that remodeling. I love that I do things that I'm passionate about. So no, no, no, Maybe when I was in school and classes that I didn't do good at, maybe does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, no, Differently yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't go down past I know, and that's not for me or it's not going to work. And it doesn't mean it's easy. It's definitely not easy. It just means, yeah, I don't doubt. If anything, I have to convince everyone around, like the glansing industry or giving that up and no flattering has no curly arens no heat that. Yeah, it's more I stand behind what I believe and does that make that makes sense?
Speaker 1: It makes sense. But for some people it's not as easy to weed out all the other voices that are deterring them from reaching their goals.
Speaker 2: You have to follow your passion. If you follow your passion, not what someone else's passion is for you or what they believe you should be doing, it makes it. And that's what I tell I've done this with people when we go on, like years ago, went to rehob with in this family, I'm like, you could tell they're miserable and whatnot. I'm like, close your eyes. If you could do anything you want in life and you don't have to worry about the family, the kids, paying the bills, anything you want, don't take money out of the equation, what would you do and this person was not doing a job they liked. I can't remember what it was, but it was just, you know, a nine to FIVEE. But no, and he's like, I would be a chef. I'm like, then that's what you should be doing. What it is, and everyone knows what it is, but just close your eyes and if money's not a factor, family's not paying bills, all that's removed from it. What would you do? Everyone does know that it secretly lives within them, and if you follow your passions, it doesn't mean it's can be easy, but it's going to take you to where your joy and your happiness is. That's for sure, because that makes sense. Absolutely, we will do what people tell them they should be doing, or what you.
Speaker 1: Think, or what they signed up for in college, what the parents do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the parents want to do.
Speaker 1: And some people listening myself included, struggle to find what it is that's.
Speaker 2: Their passion by what that way in high school when everyone was picking about this in school and as I didn't fit into any of those pegs or boxes or squares or whatnot, and I'm like, I felt like I'm not good at any of those things, or that doesn't speak to me. And then when I finally realized, like, but I am photography. I love that. I'm like, didn't realize you can make a career out of it. Not so mine didn't fit in all the things they told you you can be here, you can be here, you can be photography wasn't one of those choices. It was hairstyling and all. Honestly, it wouldn't have been in there. So it's like I found my love for photography through high school. I took it for two and a half years. I joke that I don't know how I graduated because I cut most classes. I went to photography, and that was my passion.
Speaker 1: You do all your product photography. I love that because that's an art in itself, very detailed. Everything you do is beautiful and so curated and so thoughtful to maintain the integrity at the park.
Speaker 2: I learned that through photography. I have over seven hundred and fifty thousand photos on my phone.
Speaker 1: I need coffee table one hundred.
Speaker 2: Fifty thousand videos on my phone.
Speaker 1: It's real, we need a photography like a coffee table book from you.
Speaker 2: I should do that because I've always wanted to.
Speaker 1: It's funny, I've always wanted to do that too. Let's challenge ourselves and make it happen. You haven't used regular shampoo in over twenty five years, not on yourself, or your dogs, or your any of your client. Well, he just let his hair down, you guys.
Speaker 2: Since nineteen your locks, yeah.
Speaker 1: I can tell they are soft.
Speaker 2: And I haven't colored my hair almost three years. This is my natural.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I haven't colored since I already know August fifth of twenty twenty three. I know that's yeah, August fifth, twenty twenty three. It was last time I highlighted. And the rest is it's just one. There's a natural.
Speaker 1: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's still a little I mean you are about three hours ago.
Speaker 1: You are the model for your lifestyle brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I haven't used leather, hair, faced body, and word skin since May first and nineteen ninety three. That's the day I opened this alone.
Speaker 1: And that has been a message that you've been trying to get across to people. Not that we don't need no regular commercial shampoo and conditioner.
Speaker 2: No, you shouldn't let alone, don't.
Speaker 1: Why why tell us why we should?
Speaker 2: It strips everything out of your hair, everything out of your hair, including your color, and even if you are natural, like mine is natural, but it's still with make it to whar. My scalp is oily, My ends are dry because it's robbing and stripping everything. The thing I tell them to really think about is whatever products feel like on your hands, is what it's doing to your hair. When I was an assistant and I used to before I help them create their products, we used to use a high end and it's still on the market, high end brand and their shampoo and their conditioner, and I would go home as an assistant and my cuticles will be cracking and bleeding. I would put asila, I'm sleep with gloves on our socks on them, go back to work the next day for it to happen again. It was a vicious cycle. And I knew that all those chemicals are what we're doing it. And we would try to wear gloves to cleanse people. But when it's with shampoo, it's like it hurts because you're pulling on the air as you're doing Like, I can't have you wear gloves. So we weren't allowed to wear gloves when you shampooed because it was pulling and tugging. I knew that that was happening. Then I saw the client's color fading, as you know. And then I knew I was shampoo and conditioning twice a day, fourteen times a week because I was so oily Because every time you stripped your scalp, body works over time to replanish it. So all those things I knew, I'm like, so how do I fix it? And I know how to eliminate culprit, which was the shampoo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so many hair products when you think about it, they smell like alcohol or perfume.
Speaker 2: Perfume is the other part, So perfume or alcohol. Yeah, it's just so stripping on your air. So yeah, and then you use conditioners just to get a calm through, which weighs it down because it's all polymers, fillers, bind and waxes to detangle it.
Speaker 1: So when I first I love it when you talk fast, war when you talk, especially when you talk about products, because you've said it so many times.
Speaker 2: Waxes, it's like lines and tigers and.
Speaker 1: Bears ouch, and it takes me like five minutes to figure out what you just said.
Speaker 2: Polymers, fillers, pillers, binders, and that's what's in. If you reach it's water, and then all these things, so many well water, all these chemicals and then all these things. Yeah, polymers, fillers, binders and wax It's true. And keep you say, I'm like power spilers, binding and waxes, al attigers and bears. O.
Speaker 1: My, it's so funny because you do it all the time. Okay, so why do you call it it? Win?
Speaker 2: Because if you guys, when because you already know you came to me. Nikolatte was my first celebrity. She sent Tory Nichola. Yeah, she was my first, and I thank her and bless her for it. She's the same thing. We speak again. We're friends. We've always made friends. But she's out a maliboum and I don't see her that often, but she and I go back. She was on Notts Landing when I met her. She was Paige and I used to have a crush on her. And when I first got to her hair, like, are you gonna be okay? John, I'm like, yeah, I'll be fine. But I think everyone had a crush and she was hot girl. But she sent you, guys, and when I tell you, and she would tell She told Torri, Okay, you're going to go to him. He's going to get you off the bleach. He's going to get you off the shampoo. Just trust him, because we remember he trust him.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's.
Speaker 2: Going to work. No, he doesn't know my hair, I have fine hair, is not going to work. And also that was it. You guys would leave me and I would say, They're like, okay, I'll try it, but I just don't know. I said, it's a whole new way of looking at cleansing your hair. And most people think it's a backwards way. So I said that for years it's a whole new way. It's a backwards way. Whole new way. It's a backwards way. So when it came time to naming it, I knew I wanted a three letter word because of you know how I am with all numbers and all that stuff. I knew I wanted a three letter word. I knew I wanted to have meaning and I want to have a very zen feel to it. So I'm like, I always tell people it's a new way of looking at cleansing your hair. So I wrote new one a piece of paper and I held it in front of a mirror and I said, new when new When I'm like, I like that a new backwards way, so it all has meaning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's new when a new.
Speaker 2: Backwards way of doing it. In most people's eyes mine it wasn't, but most people thought it was a backwards way.
Speaker 1: You recommend not washing your hair for how many days?
Speaker 2: Well, lather ever with Okay, lather ever if you're cleansing with the cleansing conditioner. On all honesty. I have people that do it twice a day because they work out and whatnot. You'll never dry out from it. The more you do it, the better of the results. So you can. But what it is is you don't have to. I went from literally fourteen times a week twice a day. I didn't have a choice because it would rob my scalp. It would get oily, vicious cycle if I was going to dinner or movie. You know when you get that oily and it's like it's being irritating. So I remember those times, but that was in ninety three. Was the last time that happened to me. But my point is is that I went from fourteen times a week, twice a day to now I do it like twice a week and it gets better on day two better on day three, better on day four. There's times that I'm like on day six and seven, I'm like, no, I really like it today. I'll wait till tomorrow. I'll wait till tomorrow. So you can do it as often as you want, but knowing you can wait is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk so much about the specifics of your products because they need to be discussed, but I wanted to get back to some bigger life things because I know we mentioned before you lawsuits and you've.
Speaker 2: Say that, yeah. The only reason because I do want to clear that we okay. When that happened. At QBC, I was the number one beauty run number one for years. It was it was always at the top was Philosophy and below them was par Essentials and I was third, and then in twenty fourteen I became second. Twenty fifteen I became first, and that's when Lassuit hit number one KBC and I was number three in the country. And that's what people don't know about us. There were the top two, which you know, we all know who they are, the top two, and then it was me. So it's not even intentionally but right on their back door because we had the infomercial that was worldwide and it was playing everyone's TVs like it was a number one infomercial. I think I was you were, Yeah, you were? You were in the informercial we got in GLED. I think, yeah, you were in our infomercial. Sorry, I just when Allie Robinson was in it. I think that same one.
Speaker 1: I believe that sounds right.
Speaker 2: But because we were in everyone's face, and because I'm not a corporation, I'm an individual. On no, I don't have backers. I don't have I don't have anyone back in my brain. It's literally just me, and I'm proud of that as well. However, I became a target. And I'll just say now that we do know that the reason we were investigating by the FDA is because the person who requested that was their number one backer was Johnson and Johnson, who we were right at their back door. Who do you think had me investigated? So really think about it. And the point is is that I didn't have all the statistics, but we did over thirty three tests. I've spent over three million dollars on testing, and everyone came back negative, negative, negative, negative, negative, loss or damit, everything negative. So I'm like, imagine I was on number fifteen. We have an the one we can do. Okay, let's do it sixteen seventeen up to number thirty. We have another one we could try this, Let's try that. We want to leave everything, ever, no stone unturned. So imagine if I was on number thirty two and the thirty three, the third one came back positive, it would have erased all the three monient ever race spent. So if you think no one in their right mind would keep testing after even twenty or thirty, but to still do it, Okay, you have this one. They've done it where they injected it, they've done everything on the testing, and it's on our website. You can jeck it. So my point was that was all a little too late, though, because it took years to do that, and as it because I wasn't planning on settling at all, and as it kept going, it just kept getting worse and worse. And they're like, you cannot settle and go to court and you most likely will win this, but you may not have a business by the time you're done. So like, that's the only reason I settled. And we're in a world where people know they know it's it's easier to settle than it is to go and do that.
Speaker 1: How did you remain resilient during that time?
Speaker 2: Doctor Reverend Delarice Lad that's where she there were it was I couldn't because what it did for me is it questioned my character and anyone that knows me knows I stand in conviction of who and what I am. I've had to let friends and stylists go from my salon who were doing Brazilian blow out because when I go on are, I say, we don't use girls, use plans, we don't use some lacktor, we don't use bleach, we don't use this. And found out someone was doing a Charatan's treatment at their home. I'm like, I can't go on air and speak of we don't do this, and you're doing that. It makes me look like I'm a liar. But I was blindsided by it, and I'm like, so I had to let that person go to this day, she's still a friend. She's still a friend, but if you question my integrity, I have nothing. So when this came, it's like, of course the question my integray went on. I'm like, you just feel like, how can you come, can you overcome this?
Speaker 1: So that period that that struggle was hard, that you learned, what's the hardest thing you've ever had to say no to?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't do things that I'm okay with, you know what I mean, it's like if it goes against but I have so I have boundaries. So I'm trying to think, say, what's the hardest thing I said no to?
Speaker 1: Is it in your careers? In your personal life?
Speaker 2: Probably? I guess it might be personal life, Like I don't I'm not like I'm single, you know me, I'm single most of my life and I'm very okay with that, and people or like, no, really really I am because I won't settle no, you won't make sense. I won't settle so proudly that and you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: By the way, I don't know that there's anybody out there that deserves you.
Speaker 2: I mean, you are something that's I feel it was meant to happen. It'll happen. But I guess it's probably that saying no to something I know isn't right. That makes sense, right? I get chances. I give chances, and I'm like, okay, and if I see something like no, it's not okay, and so it probably would probably be that.
Speaker 1: And also just like getting past society's desire to couple everybody.
Speaker 2: Up, Yes, which is crazy. It's crazy. It's like and I think people are now more figuring out once they become single and whatnot. They're like, like, my sister's married to marriage since I well mat or a man in high school. But she at this point knows if anything happened, she would remain single because you realize they're sacrificed. I'm like, that's okay, and I'm not trying. Their marriage is great, but if anything were to happen, She's like, I wouldn't because I think you realize how much like I give them myself in every aspect GVC, salon everywhere and my alone time means everything to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, tell me about your alone.
Speaker 2: Where ground and sentences.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you, like, how do you protect your energy? Because you are so generous with.
Speaker 2: It, I have to like at work, you or a no, I give and give a gift. PVC, you give a give a gift and I'm finding great with that. It's in that wheelhouse. When I'm in my element, I can be extrovert and train and educate and all that. When I'm not in my element is where I cocoon in and I'm like I do and it's people think, oh, you're a leo. You're like, no, I don't. I don't. I can do and be passionate about the things I do and talk about it, but if it's not my wheelhouse, I'll just I want.
Speaker 1: To just see, Yeah, make retreat. You like your alone time.
Speaker 2: That's what recharges and I need that and I love that, and I cherish that when at the end of the day and when the whole staff goes home, like nothing against them, no, but it's my space and my time and I cherish it so much. Yeah, And just even with the angels, And it would probably be the same if they weren't, I.
Speaker 1: Say, angel Angels, doggies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just make everything sweeter. But even without, if it was just mine, it's more turning in and reflecting, and it's things come to me, ideas and what not come to me through in the shower obviously constantly because you're you're tuned out and whatnot. And when I get massages, it's like because you're checked out, it's like ideas, I'm like, oh, my God, I gotta remember this.
Speaker 1: I'm not annoying though, when you're trying to get a massage and you're like light bulb bloop stopping or.
Speaker 2: I wake up in the middle night, I'm like, I don't like write me all down because it wakes you up too much. But it's like when you're sleeping and it comes to you that's an I thought an idea, and keep track of that and massage, yeah, definitely, because it's just boom boom boom, and I'm like, okay.
Speaker 1: Stop, everybody, just stop. What is one piece of hair advice that's actually life advice?
Speaker 2: My first one that came to minde is hydrate hydrate hydrate.
Speaker 1: That's what one piece of hair advice is also life advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is well, I think the first thing comes to mind is stop the abuse. Stop the Yeah, well it's life advice so well, because stop the abuse and stop trying to follow the trends and just let it be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, before I let you go, Chustine, what was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 2: I guess it would for me, it'd have to be an ongoing existing one. Is like what I do is, as I said, I give give you all the day. So what I do is I reserve and I cocoon my Sundays for me. I get invited to a lot of things on Sunday, and there's things I want to do, but I know if I don't recharge today and turn within and just be solo alone, and it's like plugging in your vone. It's like I'm recharging on Sundays and there's things some that are great there. It has to be extremely special or something that I need to attend in order to do it. Something happen to Hollywood Beauty Wars. I'm like, not on Sunday, but I've had to do I have done that. It's true, it really is. I protect my Sundays. I don't leave. I just home with the angels and I chill. I if I miss that, unlike I feel behind all week.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Monday comes way too quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I oh my god. I love that we're so similar.
Speaker 2: Your Sundays they are well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for sharing all this insight with people. You are just a treasure trove of just everything good. You are just a good human