Speaker 1: I'm Peanut Tuoman and this is the NFL Player Second Acts Podcast.
Speaker 2: My guy with me as always, mister Roman Harp. What's something baby feeling good?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Feeling bright?
Speaker 2: I like that shirt?
Speaker 4: Thank you, Carolina blue.
Speaker 1: It is well, I don't know, it's like a Carolina blue and a Wyoming brown.
Speaker 4: Sure whatever. I don't even know it like that, But I mean, we can't talk about that. We are in the Panther Vision studio. We are with our next great guest today. Man, I'm really excited to hear from this man. They you know, somebody's always got somebody just a little bit out there you don't even know, or until all of a sudden you read the stats and it really hits home with you. You learned so much about so you do, so you do people. And that's how I feel about our next guest right here. And he played cornerback in the NFL for nine seasons with the Chicago Bears as well, great friend, I was waiting for that great right. He was a pro bowler and an All Pro. He once held a team record of interceptions for a cornerback until somebody broke it. Okay, all right, And after football he found his second act by helping young people and military veterans, especially close here in his home state of North Carolina. Our next guest, can we all welcome in, mister Donelle Wolf, Welcome to the Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Or how you doing it?
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: How you doing I'm doing good?
Speaker 3: Looking great defensive backs? Man, I'm at home.
Speaker 2: Yes, come on in, Yes, welcome.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. I got to know this though, because let's just get right to it. I kind of mentioned it in the mentro, But are you cool with the fact that Peanut broke your interception record? Because you had the record and then Peanut came along and broke it.
Speaker 3: I'm cool with it because to me, you know, whoever breaks my record, it's a bad man. Okay, he's a bad man.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: So well, how closely did you follow the record? Did you keep up with it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Was it like?
Speaker 4: How much pride did you take you to having that record?
Speaker 3: I took a lot of pride in it because you know, I played a long time barring in no injuries and was able to put up those kind of numbers and then to see somebody come in and break the record, you know, I applaud him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, were you aware that I was not? I was not aware that I had broke it. I had no clue that I was even close to it. When I played, I didn't really focus on my stats. I just tried to, like, for my goal of mine, I would just say, for this year, I want five picks, four picks, whatever.
Speaker 2: Then if I got it, cool.
Speaker 1: I think Jeff Joniac, he's the voice the color commentary for Chicago Bears. He was the one who actually told me that I broke it, and I was like, huh okay, And then I didn't think anything else of it because I was still actively playing and I was just, you know, just trying to get more picks. So yeah, when I when I found out, Looking back on it, now I can say, yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, I was. I was. It was It was cool.
Speaker 1: But I didn't play the game to break records or break your record. I was just playing a game because it was fun, right, you know.
Speaker 2: It was fall.
Speaker 3: Absolutely me too. You know people talk it up. Yeah, we out there trying to play football and win a football game, right, So we don't really looking in the stacks, right, I mean, we like looking at the paychecks. Oh yeah, we love.
Speaker 2: Looking at the paycheck.
Speaker 4: But I just also want you to know, like it took Peanut eighteen more games than what you did to get.
Speaker 2: That record, So you was a bad man.
Speaker 4: You got the record in eighteen fewer games than Peanut. So you can take that with you. Go ahead with your questions.
Speaker 1: Why do you always like that? Oh my, I didn't want to give them. You give me, you give me. It's like here, you take fowers, you get.
Speaker 4: That, you can get that.
Speaker 2: Take that with.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: For those that don't know.
Speaker 2: It's okay. So here's what I will say. This is a bad man. So Jerry A.
Speaker 1: Zuma, another another Chicago Barry played running back.
Speaker 2: I think he played running back at Maine.
Speaker 1: Won all types of war won the Watson Payton College you know that division too, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he won that award.
Speaker 1: Dude was a phenomenal and you know zoom, phenomenal football player in college. Gets drafted to the Bears and then they say, oh, yeah, you're not playing running back, You're you're a dB now and he goes The first time I'd ever been on the defensive side of the ball was when I got drafted by the Bears and I think ninety nine. Similar to you, you go to Clemson and you've been offense this entire time, right, and then you get to Clemson and now it's like, oh yeah, you're a dB.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It was tough, you know, because I'm used to having the ball and running this forward, yeah, versus going backwards and covering somebody. I don't know where they going, so I have to make plays on those players. But it was tough, but I got adjusted to it by this working hard, watching film. Was athlete because I was three stars, three sport athlete track, basketball and football. Could have played basketball or Clemson. So it wasn't that difficult, but it was challenging. So my first year I didn't play much, but then my sophomore year I ended up beating out a fifth year senior. Okay, and then the rest is history.
Speaker 4: I mean, you were a two time All American. You had a little bit more than just history.
Speaker 2: You were really good. You were Clemson.
Speaker 4: What what was the hardest thing that you had to learn as a defensive backs that was different than what you did on offense when the turn your hips? Okay, people don't understand that. Yeah, and all of a sudden they get you got to turn and flips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to know when to turn. If you don't turn, you turn too late, too early. A lot of things that happened, Yes, not good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: Because they wide receivers, they wait till the defensive back turns their hips to then break. So learning that part for you was the hardest part. Even though you were fast as you could be, that was hard for you.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: When did you start to feel comfortable at that cornerback position, like when you were just like, you know what, Yeah, I got this now, I feel I feel pretty good, even though I know you're two time All American. Was it when you're still in college. Was it when you got drafted by the Bears?
Speaker 3: When I would pick off the football? Okay, because I used to always had the football in my hand running back. Now I'm on the other side trying to get the football that way, on the defensive side of the ball, So interceptions, Okay, when I picked up football, I got really excited about that part.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you picked off the ball, I kind of see you, you know, being a former running back. Were you trying to run casts over or were you just trying to avoid them.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to score peanut. Okay, Okay, I'll turn and then I switched down mentally, I'd go from defensive back now I'm going to running back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to get to the end zone every time. What was your welcome to the NFL moment? We'd love to ask guys different times. Was it preseason? Was it like when did that happen for you? Like, oh, this is the this is the league, and eighty nine we played San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Forty nine is over in Germany a pre season game. Okay, I got a chance to go against.
Speaker 2: Steve Young, jer Rice, Ronnie Lott.
Speaker 3: So that was that was a pivotal moment for me that I looked to look around these all these Hall of famers, all these great players, and I'm going against them, and I'm lining up across one on one with Jared Rice and I'm battling with him and it was awesome.
Speaker 2: How did it go for you? Was it good or bad?
Speaker 3: We'll start off a little slow. Then I got used to it and I picked it up because it's different you and the man and calling you the man. Yeah, you know you're the star. Now you go to the pros, everybody's the star. Yeah, and then the competition is tough, fearce fierce, as you know, you guys know. Yeah, so I justin. But it took me. I take maybe a year or two because my third year I made the Pro Bowl in nineteen ninety three. Yeah, so I was progressing in the right area.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, would you progress in the right area? How much credit would you give or kind of? I don't want to tell you what to give credit to. But what was it like being drafted to a defense that was already so well known and so established like Richard Mike Singletary, you.
Speaker 3: Had n.
Speaker 2: Was there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Mike, William Perry and Perry Richarde who for having good or how great he was whatever it was, he was famous. Everybody loves the refrigerator, everybody loved it.
Speaker 3: So when I got drafted, he you know, he's a Clemson guy.
Speaker 4: I'm a Clemson guy.
Speaker 3: It took me on his wings. Okay, it was big wings.
Speaker 4: And you know he.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't let anybody bother me. He say, if you need anything, just let me know. But planning out getting in all those guys, I was. I was nervous. They just come off winning the Super Bowl and they drafted me to come in and start. And I did start, but I was nervous because I didn't want to mess up. And a guy looking at it and Mike Singletary looking at you his eyes like this, he's a captain of the defense. But it was a great experience. I just didn't adapt it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm I'm from Chicago. I was born on the South Side. Huge Jordan's fan.
Speaker 1: As you can see, I got on some Jay's right now have half the shoes I own?
Speaker 2: Or are Jordan's right?
Speaker 4: He's trying to get a deal over here.
Speaker 3: I would love to m.
Speaker 1: J or I'm sorry, I love a deal. They've been calling him. You're not even that Mama call him m I'm gonna call him m His.
Speaker 4: Mama, don't call him him.
Speaker 2: She probably calls him Michael. Keep going.
Speaker 1: But I'm I'm a huge I'm a huge Jordan fan, as is half of the Globe.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You kind of were in Chicago during his era. What was it like, uh, in Chicago in that Michael Jordan era.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's great.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, we were winning, they were winning, and we passed go in the streets and hang out a little bit, and yeah, have dinner. And we were always cross paths and great guy. And he's North Carolina Chapel Hill guys. Yeah, I'm from here, he's from here. So you know, we just you know, we just hung out and had a good time.
Speaker 4: Did you own a pair of jects?
Speaker 2: Of course you had to have them. You had to have them even back then then. Yeah, you had to have him. I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Because you know, now there's everybody, it's so proper now, but back then, it's like, nah, you was back then too, Like you had to have it because y'all. You know, back you know, I was just a little kid and I.
Speaker 2: Went but knee high.
Speaker 3: But you know, if you have money, you.
Speaker 2: Had to have some jays on. That's that's what's up.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 4: Some things don't change, never change, okay, Georgia will never change now.
Speaker 3: And you know he used to get ticket get me tickets for games you watch him play, Okay, so you know we had a pretty good Relationshipah, So.
Speaker 2: What was one of the best games you saw him play?
Speaker 1: Because you saw him I'm kind of jealous because you saw him play live. I've met I've met MJF A few times. I've watched all the games, I got the shoes to close whatever. But what was the best game you saw live?
Speaker 3: We never playing the Pistons. It's a very physical game. Yeah, they were going at.
Speaker 4: It, you know, and your boy just kept doing this thing.
Speaker 3: He kept doing the thing. They knock him down. You're getting back up.
Speaker 4: We'll be back in a minute. So let's talk about post football. You know, you have a great career and since then, what keeps you busy? What keeps down a Wolford busy? And what gear brings you joy as you've gotten older.
Speaker 3: Coach high school football East Lincoln High School for a few years, retired. I also coached at Clemson a couple of years. I went back and finished my degree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, congratulations on that.
Speaker 2: Thank you a ring, didn't you got?
Speaker 3: Twenty six sixteen Alabama was a defensive assist time.
Speaker 2: I'll say that again. Who did y'all beat Alabama?
Speaker 3: Oh? Twenty sixteen? Deshaun Watson was our quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah he should have been. I mean, I couldn't believed drafted higher.
Speaker 3: Than what he was, but yeah he was.
Speaker 4: That was a really good team. He was a defensive defensive back, assistant.
Speaker 3: Yes, really good team.
Speaker 2: I just want to hear him say who they beat one more time? Say it again. Who did y'all beat Alabama? Okay? I went to University Alabama.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 5: It was like why.
Speaker 4: Because I went there.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 4: So coaching was a thing for you.
Speaker 3: It was fun, you know, because I'm done. I don't know what I'm going to do posts after football, so I just dove into coaching and found some joy in that. Yes, and then once that's stopped, you know, I'm not working on some things in my hometown.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what we want to get to.
Speaker 1: So one of the things I know, there's I think fourteen acres of land and you have this dream center, the down Air Wolford Dream Center. How's that going? And I know it's not it's not built yet, but can you talk about what are your plans for this place in the future.
Speaker 3: Well, I believe in strong community. Yeah, because if you have a strong community, everyone wins. So when I was growing up, I had to support around me. Yeah, I had a good community around me. I had the boys and girls clubs. So I want to provide that same service now to my hometown and with the center, with the military veterans, kids at rich senior citizens and just get back to my community and this makes it strong.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's Fairville, Fairville, Yes, Fairville, North Carolina.
Speaker 2: I know you help a lot of veterans. Faedville. That is where the military.
Speaker 3: Military Bragg and I'm sorry Fort Liberty, Fort Liberty, they changed changed names.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, you're right.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about some of the things that you've done with some of the military veterans.
Speaker 3: My father served in military for thirty years, so we traveled around the world and.
Speaker 2: He retired at Bragg. Yeah, well Libery Liberty.
Speaker 3: And you know he's a strict parent. My mom she brought me church every Sunday and that was the foundation of my life. And now I want to get back and and I'm happy to do that.
Speaker 4: Where did you get this passion to want to give back? Was that your father that well he was a little bit strict. But what made you want to say, you know what, I want to give back. I want to continue to push back and pull forward to my community.
Speaker 3: I've seen him serve our country and the ups and downs, trials and tribulations, and he would always come home and love on us and make sure we were doing the right things, and we had food on the table and love.
Speaker 2: What brink was was your dad?
Speaker 1: Because my dad, my dad served, My dad did twenty I was a military partly loved.
Speaker 2: Overseas, did the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure we had a similar upbringing as far as what rank was your dad?
Speaker 2: He's a drill sergeant.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I always had to walk a straight line. Oh yeah, when we come home from work, he's in the house. We had to walk straight line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know any many drills.
Speaker 3: There was no shortcuts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know many drill starergiants that know how to cut it off either. They don't know how to be a drill sergeant. It just this and one time I tell you this. Still one time, you know, I forgot to take the trash.
Speaker 3: We have to do our tours right trouble, so I forgot to take the trash out. But one night and I get up next morning, I'm smelling something, smelling this and smelling that he had dumped the trash in my bed to remind me I forgot to take it out. I never forgot to take the trash out again my bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think I might try that. I'm liking your pops right now. The next time my kids will take out the trash. I'm just empty on it in the bed break, the turret.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna try that. I mean, it's it's a hard statement. It's a big statement. It's a big statement.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try, Donnielle.
Speaker 3: I want to know.
Speaker 4: About your experience because we like to, you know, showcase not only what our legends do in the NFL, but also sometimes it's pat the NFL on his back and give them their flys too, the NFL. What was your experience like with the NFL Continue Education program You mentioned it earlier, how you went back and got your degree and finished that up.
Speaker 3: That was the reason I went back because of that. Yeah, they provided that service. I signed up and took advantage of it. And then on top of that, Coach Sweeney gave me an opportunity as well. Yeah, so I ended up getting a degree in the National Championship in one year. Year.
Speaker 4: Clims have been good to you.
Speaker 2: That was good, been good. Clims have been good, been real.
Speaker 3: Oh man, And my daughter she starts she's just got hired there. Ip TA, which is the fundraising department. She just got hired there. She graduated too. She was in the school when I was in school, and you know, and I told her, I said, you need you're gonna help you old men I got. I got into the school, so I need you to help me with Michael schoolwork when I need you.
Speaker 2: Like, I like that.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Did y'all graduate at the same time.
Speaker 3: She told me that you don't go downtown. You got to stay in your house. Who don't come down?
Speaker 2: I don't need you.
Speaker 3: Just the.
Speaker 2: Y'all. Well, never have the same camera parties.
Speaker 3: Set me off.
Speaker 4: Man, oh man, we come around here talking about daughter, sayhing like that.
Speaker 2: Don't you do that?
Speaker 3: No, she didn't run off the little boards and chasing them. That's what she didn't want.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can do that when our girls go to school. You can just go to a callge party and act like we're in there. I'm just not gonna say anything, gonna take no, we'll talk off bline, we'll talk off. You gave me some ideas. You gave me some ideas. We can just dress down, watch our kids do it.
Speaker 4: You know we're gonna we're gonna ask you this all right. We were trying to ask a lot of our guests this and really picked their brain. And you have you seem like you a lot of people have influenced you. You've been through a lot of different things, You've seen a lot of different things. Influence as people that have really affected you kind of shaped you and made you who you are up until this day. We like to ask the mountain, the mount rushmore of influence. So everybody, Yeah, so you got four of your life. Who would those people be?
Speaker 3: My father, my mother, my high school coach?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Well why because they're the foundation. Mh. They brought me into this world and they taught me a lot, all right. Coach coach, he is a mentor. We had one car. He was taking me to all on all to all my official visits. Oh and he took me down to Clemson just being there and supporting me and my family.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you got that's three. So you get who's who's the number five pastor? Okay? Corona?
Speaker 4: Oh was it the same one? Which past is it your current.
Speaker 3: Performer pastor or one today to one today? Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, And why would you say this particular pastor?
Speaker 3: Well, because he's when I was small, he was he was preaching, and my mom should take me to the church all the time. So so he's always been my guy. Yeah, my spiritual my spiritual leader. Yeah. Still if you passing the current right, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's necessary. You gotta you gotta have that spiritual advisor, no doubt. It's like the living word, man, a word.
Speaker 1: Hey, you're off the hot seat, man, thank you for thank you for coming you man, you off the hot seat. We appreciate you coming out, man, Thank you for truly uh.
Speaker 4: And good luck less with your with everything you got going on to don't go nowhere yet. You can't leave yet. We didn't let you off that fast. We're gonna Peanuts is gonna get us out of here.
Speaker 3: He's got ordered some food. You guys gotta get out.
Speaker 2: That was those those are for our kids.
Speaker 1: That that that wasn't for us.
Speaker 2: That was yeah, I order for him my kids.
Speaker 1: I would have ordered you some, but it's going to a whole different places.
Speaker 3: I'll get you next time.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, actually, yes, sir, Yes sir.
Speaker 4: Remember how about that eighteen less games too.
Speaker 2: Remember that.
Speaker 3: He's gonna wear that out. He's gonna worry you all about Alabama too.
Speaker 2: And wait sixteen twenty sixteen. Okay, I'll give you give you THEMA I appreciate that. Look, Hey, I'm Peanut. This is the NFL player Second Acts podcast.
Speaker 1: Like Share, subscribe, follow, Please watch this episode in other episodes on the NFL's YouTube channel. I thought it was mine, but it's not. It's the NFL's YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: It's ours. It's kind of like it's ours.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna just say it's mom, you know, it's something like it's something like that.
Speaker 2: Look Alcohol podcast.
Speaker 1: iHeart radio.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's it. That's it. That's it. Just share life.
Speaker 1: Subscribe, follow, comment link, Tell the a, tell a friend of.
Speaker 2: Tell a friend, Tell a friend.
Speaker 5: We are
Speaker 3: Stop