Speaker 1: Right, what justin middle to field forty five to fifteen bring Russ in front of a leading Lions in this way? I am Jeff Joniadicklitz is not donig up her.
Speaker 2: What was like playing for coach Bigdom?
Speaker 3: I don't want to answer any questions like that. Sixty one yards?
Speaker 1: What's Sunday stroll for? Justin Field? Bears et Cetera With the voices of the Chicago Bears Jeff Joniac, It's that time again. It's Bears Packers trying to be dramatic time trying to set the scene here on the Bears et Cetera Podcast, Episode forty eight. The season began with the Packers with the Bears in week one. The Bears are a different team as we enter Week eighteen, nothing else to play for but their own ride and their own big finish as a platform to twenty twenty four, which promises to be extremely intriguing. Packers. Well, they're trying to secure a playoff spot with a win, and they could have a six or seven seed in the playoffs. We'll get to all of it in this episode. Thank you for joining us. We appreciate your time. As always, we also have special guest Mike tom Zach, Tom's teammate from the eighty five Bears, now an assistant football coach on a volunteer level at Youngstown State, something he's done for the last eight years or so. I think you'll find the conversation riveting and entertaining, and we're gonna hear it.
Speaker 3: You learned a lot of stuff you never knew, didn't you?
Speaker 1: One percent? Yes? And I every time I think I've heard every eighty five Bear story. That's why Tom, as we digress for just a smidge, No documentary that has ever been done or will be done, could ever capture every single strain and thread of that eighty five Bear team. You can't.
Speaker 4: You can't because first of all, you can't do a documentary long enough. And then, you know, it just happenstance that you and I got on different subject matters and different avenues of interest that affected both myself and Mike because we are incoming Bear rookies together. You know, it kind of kicked off of friendship that has lasted this long and beyond. I'm friends with this entire family, was close to his dad and everything. But the behind the scenes stories that you don't get a chance to hear.
Speaker 3: Until you actually sit down and talk about them.
Speaker 4: I think people will really get a kick out of some of the chance meetings and some of the things that happened throughout our careers together unreal.
Speaker 1: We're also going to hear the entire news conference from Wednesday from Bear's quarterback Justin Fields. Thought it was his best one of the year. I think he's in a really good place mentally. He's in a good space, and he feels he feels good about the progress that he's made individually, the team made as a whole, and he puts everything about the team, everything about what is right now. He's not really engaging on anything beyond that.
Speaker 4: That kind of frustrates me about the press conference is because they ask him so much about his future, which is irrelevant. In Wednesday of Packer week, it's about the Bears Packers game.
Speaker 3: What have you done to improve.
Speaker 4: From the first time you played the Packers Week one? What are you doing right now that makes you feel more confident going into lambeau Field. Who on your team have you developed a working relationship with that can help you beat the Green Bay Packers Sunday? And that's all those questions that go on and asked because everybody wants to get the same answer to the same question of that everybody asks and so to me, SIS be a little angst and angry. It's packer week, but I think it's a little bit unfair about the questions that they continue to ask just every time he goes to the podium, whether it's postgame or midweek.
Speaker 1: Good new Chicago United Airlines is getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles like Bluetooth connectivity screens, hit every seat in room for everyone's rollerbag. United Proud to fly the Chicago Bears and you too. Let's get the status at hallis some movement on the roster. Colin Johnson the big receiver, big number eighty and now the active roster. They wave linebacker DeMarcus Gates, long snapper Matt Overton an emergency addition on the practice squad. With Patrick Scales dealing with a foot injury. They're trying to see how he makes it through the week. Also, Tyreek Stevenson Tom named NFC Defensive Player of the Week. Four pass breakups, two interceptions. We've talked a lot about him. He's been one of the most targeted corners in the NFL in neon lights. I'm a rookie, you know, have at it with Jalen Johnson on the other side, but he has got better the entire season matured, and he has never gone into tank tom never, not one time.
Speaker 3: You know, outside of quarterback, cornerback.
Speaker 4: Is the position that you have to have the thickest skin because if you think of a quarterback throwing in interceptions his approach to the sideline, there's a million things going through his head.
Speaker 3: You are cornerback and you give up a.
Speaker 4: Touchdown, there's a million things going through your head, and then there's a lot said about you after the game. I admire Justin Fields and I admire Tyreek Stevenson because of two of the thickest skin positions on an NFL team. Both of them have put that on display.
Speaker 1: And the NFC Offensive player of the Week is who the Bears will be facing. Jordan Love. Five games with three or more touchdowns and a one hundred plus quarterback rating, time for most in the league. In the win over Minnesota, we touched on it in the Monday Podcast. Three touchdowns passing, one rushing, and two hundred and fifty six yards of passing and a one to twenty five quarterback rating. He is elevating, he is, He's elevating at quarterback. It'll be a heck of a matchup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Jordan Love will probably tell you he's the most fortunate player in the NFL to have the opportunity to be drafted in the first round and sit behind a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers for that long before he was put in as the starting quarterback. Because you can see his mannerisms, the way he looks at the offense, the things that he has seen repetitiously in the meetings that has spoke to him by the coaches, and he watched Aaron Rodgers do the way he handles himself in preparation through the regular season, through training camp. So Jordan Love throughout the course of the season has put a lot of those types of improvements on display, and deservingly so he wins the award.
Speaker 1: And the Bears have two pro bowlders, Tom announced last night and they were done so so kind of interestingly by the Bears Ryan Poles, the general manager, and Matt eberfluss in on it. So they called in cornerback Jalen Johnson and defensive end Montest Sweat on their off day on Tuesday, said they had some things for them to look at on plays from the game on Sunday, and so while they were both hesitant, they did arrive and there were GoPros in the office when they showed up and were told that they were Pro Bowlers. And the reactions you can check out on the Bear's website and the Bears social channels simply outstate. Jalen was with his whole family, he was going nuts, and Montest Sweat thrilled. So two Pro Bowlers from the Bears, and there was a late push by the fan voting and a number of Bears players made it into the top ten. Now, I know it's not a game. We can debate what this is all about, you know, on another podcast maybe, but it's a bunch of events now as opposed to just just the game. So it's not like it used to be. But the recognition is such that players do do appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I believe I'm all for Montese sled, I'm all for Jalen Johnson.
Speaker 3: I think TJ.
Speaker 4: Edwards rees, you know, he deserves the Pro Ball as well. I think justin Fields should get consideration.
Speaker 1: Let's listen in to Justin Fields at the podium and have us all on Wednesday feel like you were showing the world.
Speaker 2: Kind of what you're capable for.
Speaker 5: I mean, it just felt good to go out there and get a double with my teammates. You know, I think everybody played well offense, defense, special team. So you know, it's always good, a good feeling when you get a home.
Speaker 6: Is there satisfaction though, when when you play a good game, man you get the win.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm just doing my job at the end of the day, I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. You know, in my eyes, I could have played better, didn't play good enough. But like I said, good team win. Everybody played well on all three phase of the football and good team win.
Speaker 7: So how much better have you got and this team gotten since the first game against Green Bays start year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think we've improved tremendously in all phases. And I think that's players and coaches. So we've grown a lot as a team. Our chemistry is going with each other. So excited to go out there Sunday at three forty five and well up.
Speaker 8: So that's a long time ago.
Speaker 3: But does that factor end?
Speaker 7: Is there any kind of motivation or incentive to be like, hey, we want to show the Packers what we are? What to that beating you guys to start the season.
Speaker 8: Does the factor and that they beat us earlier in this season?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we want to win every game. It doesn't matter when they beat us. We're not thinking of that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, our mindset is just go out there and playball like how we've been playing, and you know, win the game. So every game we want to win, no matter against just the your field part whatever you know team or the green bad Packers. So every game we step on the field, we want to win the game.
Speaker 9: So early this year, you pointed to the Lions of last season, the turnaround that they had and kind of setting the foundation. Obviously, the parallels are starting to become more clear now with the success you guys have had as elated.
Speaker 3: Do you think back to that could all? Do you look to that as an example still?
Speaker 5: I mean I was just kind of given an example, but now we're not basing our team based off of their team last year. I was just just simply comparing, you know, our season this year versus theirs last year.
Speaker 9: But yeah, they did finish last year with a week a team winning lambo. What would it mean to to cap the season off with the victory there? And rival You're not the significance for you guys.
Speaker 5: Within you know, I think it means a lot to uh, you know, the team, the fans of the city. I think it'd be great. You know, we know that Green Bays playing for a lot at stake. They're playing for a playoff spot right now. So I just think with you know, kind of all that on the table, I think, you know, it would be great, a great feeling that you know, in the season off with the winning lambo up there. But you know, we're just going to take a day by day wry about you know, the rest of the day and tomorrow and you know, of course leading up a Sunday, get ready to play boss because.
Speaker 3: What's at stake for them?
Speaker 10: You're going to walk into a pretty big game environment on Sunday.
Speaker 3: What's the value for a.
Speaker 10: Team like you guys and just gaining experience in those big game, big stage moments.
Speaker 8: I don't see it being that much different.
Speaker 5: I see it, you know, because everybody always the rivalry or whatever I think it's going to be, you know, the same environment, so I don't see it being too much different. But I mean, like I said, it's gonna be fun. It's gonna be a fun environment to walk into. You know, their home field. I know their friends gonna be loud because it's not much to do in green bags, I watch football.
Speaker 8: But it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: A great environment to us for us to play in and you know, hopefully have a great game and get the double on Sunday.
Speaker 1: So where where do.
Speaker 7: Where is Having DJ as a teammate helped you grow as a quarterback the most this year.
Speaker 5: You know, I'll just talk about, you know, how smart he is, how he understands leverages, coverages, has tempo you know, in and out of his routes, and of course he's just a great play player and playmaker. So you know, it's it's it's great having him on the team. He makes my job easier. Like I always say, you know, he's pretty much always open unless they double team him. But I mean it's been great. You know, anytime you can get the ball in his hands, you know you're most likely going to get an explosive play. He's hard to tackle, he's like a running back after he gets the ball in his hands. So, like I've said, throughout this whole year, he's made my job easier and been a great asset to the team.
Speaker 3: I've been a catch of his this year. That eat in game that you.
Speaker 5: Were even astonished by, I think the I think the last game was one of his best catches that I've seen, the shoulder. I think it was a third down or something like that. Yeah, that was a that was a pretty cool catch. But I've seen him make, you know, playing catches and practice that were wild. So you probably haven't even seen him. But I can't really think of any others that comes to the top of my head, you know, from game. But I think that one last week is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: That we talked you.
Speaker 6: Earlier about compartmentalizing whatever your future might be and just worrying about the next game.
Speaker 3: What happens next week? When there's no next game to worry about?
Speaker 6: Do you do you know whether you'll have any more clarity about your future and how do you deal with it when maybe there's not the focus you need so intensely every day where you might let your mind.
Speaker 5: Wander next we I don't even know if we're gonna get next week, brother, So I'm just worried about the rest of the day and you know, the rest of the night. So got these meetings I'm about to head to and you know, like I said, we got a game on Sunday.
Speaker 8: I'm not focused on you know what happens after that.
Speaker 1: So justin what have you appreciated most about the brotherhood in your locker room?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, just how tight knit we are. You know how much we've grown over the season. You know, like I said, it feels like almost a college locker room where you pretty much live within the ten minute radius of all the guys. You're always hanging out and stuff like that. So the chemistry we have, the closest we have within our group is amazing to see. And it's it's it's it's rare in any NFL. So you know, I'm definitely grateful for you know, all of the relationships and connections I've made with you know, all of my teammates this year. So it's it's it's just been awesome.
Speaker 10: So a little bit the way your defense is playing right now comparatively to where it was, what's your level of appreciation for that side of the ball and what they've done to kind of fuel s.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean shoot, like I always say every the game, it makes my job easier when they give a short fields and take the ball away and really on offense, if you're having a slow, slow day, you can really just worry about field position, like I think Cleveland was a great example kind of the first half. You know, it was kind of a defensive battle at first, and field position was really important. You know when you have a when you get a team backed up or we're backed up, you know that's advantaged then. So you know, when you have a defense is playing really well, you know you don't have to four stuff downfield. You can take what the defense gives you and really just know that your defense is going to have your back. So, I mean, the way with the way that they've been playing, you know, I offense is our job as an offense has been way easier. Like I said, should we put up twenty eight points in the games pretty much over so you know, defense has been playing a great and looking forward to them playing lights out one more time this year, so it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 4: Most NFL quarterbacks get support from their teammates.
Speaker 3: But when your teammates talk about you, they really really gush about you.
Speaker 7: What does it mean to you to have that really strong support from the guys around you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I just I think that just shows on how much we love each other, not only as players, but you know as people as uh, you know, people outside of the building building.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, we've been a lot of We've been around a lot of guys you know, in the past on different teams and stuff like that, and you can kind of tell when people really love the game and really are passionate about the game of football. And you know, I would say all the guys in the locker room are so when you just see their work ethic, how much they care about the game, how much they care about you know, the team and winning the team success. You know, that just all brings us closer together and you know, focusing on accomplishing one one goal as a team. So I just think that's you know, goes back to what we talked about at the beginning of this year with you know, Coach Flus just getting us all together, getting us all close, having those breaking off in the groups and really getting closer to each other. Talking about you know, personal life from growing up and stuff like that. So when you know a guy's story, you know where he's came from, you get to connect on a deeper personal level which you know has which causes you to have that connection closer. So you just know a guy for who he is. Away from the game, that's when you really get to connect with the teammates and really start to grow as a team.
Speaker 1: So all right, you listened to it, Tom, and I did as well. I thought he was real strong up there, so.
Speaker 4: Do I I really admire justin from what he's gone through all season.
Speaker 3: And not only I.
Speaker 4: Like the fact that when he talks about how close the locker room room, as he referred to as a as a ten minute radius, and that means, you know, just to analogize that the closest group of people in your football life for the guys inside that locker room, and a lot of times with the modern day world of cell phones, a lot of your closest people in your support are only a phone call or text message or an email away. When you have that closeness that Matt Eberflus and Ryan Poles and the organization has developed inside that locker room. I think it tells you a lot about the direction this organization is going.
Speaker 1: Well, it's time to tackle some game day deals. Then go with a grocer who's been part of Chicago since eighteen ninety nine, Juelasco, the official grocery store of the Chicago Bears. All right, in terms of what he's looking at. As we're going to start with the Bears offense against the Packers defense, you obviously got to talk about Rashan Gary on one end, Preston Smith the outside linebacker around the other, and of course Kenny Clark on the interior, Mattiebraflus, circle, JayR Alexander. They've got some young players added to that mix. Overall, the numbers don't compute, though the defense has struggled for Green Bay. What's attackable in your opinion.
Speaker 4: You know, you always have to start with the Bears running game, and if you can block Kenny Clark and kind of keep Preston Smith and the other guy you know, pushed to the exterior of the offense with contained concerns for justin fields and you can open up some of those point of attack runs with both Khalil Herbert and Roshawn Johnson, then I think that's the best exposure of success that you can have right through center field of that defense. But when you are going to incorporate pass protection, I don't think you're gonna be wise to just sit in the pocket with Justin fields because of the support of the crowd, noise, the deficiencies that creates for the offensive line getting off the ball all together and on time. Sometimes that takes a toll on your organized pass protection. So Justin's gonna have to be dynamic and his athleticism and his escapability. But still, if you want to have an identity that's figured out even late in the season and it is your run game, your run game is going to have to be as supportive as it has been the last two weeks.
Speaker 1: And certainly we cannot forget the first series in Week one. The inability to convert on third and fourth down kind of became a perpetual issue over the course of the season at times, and that is a cleanup area for sure. The Bears got significantly better in many phases, and that is one that continues to need to be addressed right well.
Speaker 4: In short yardagin the two plays they ran the first game of the season. They gave so much pre identification where they were going to run the ball, and then you see the defense of the Green Bay Packers condensed down and they get inside the exposed lanes of quarterback snakes or a snake by Cole Kamet, and then all of a sudden, now the defense is in your lane that you're trying to create, and it's difficult to move guys on those instances. So you have to have a variety of plays for short yardage and goal line. And if you are going to you a quarterback sneak, it has to be instantaneously and it's not with a with a controlled snap count that gives the defense more time to be organized in the lanes of control. So we'll see about what subtle changes that they make the shortyards and goal line at the eighteenth week of the season as opposed to the first week of the season.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you about that too. And when you get to the line of scrimmage, are you a proponent then of what you're saying is you get to the line if you if it's third and one, fourth and one, you get to the line of scrimmage goal.
Speaker 4: Yes, you break the huddle first boom, you go, and everybody's got to be ready for it. They know they're not going to be in their stance for an extended period of time. And as soon as Justin gets to the line of scrimmage, first sound go. And it's going to be difficult because you know what the crowd is going to contribute on third and fourth and one. They're going to be insane. So it's not going to be simple. It's going to take discipline in order to pull that off.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna step away from the game plan talk. We'll talk about the other side of the ball, of the defense, Jordan Love and Aaron Jones and the Fellas. But first, our conversation with former Chicago Bear nineteen eighty five undrafted out of Ohio State, Tom's old rookie teammate and longtime friend, Mike tom Zach. He looks like a little Tom Cruise right now. He's got the shades. He looks good. He has an aged Why is Tom not looking like this? He looks more. Tom looks more like a senior citizen professor. And you look cool. You got the black, you got the black leather jacket going, You got the shades. Tom he looks good.
Speaker 2: It's our choice, right, Jeff.
Speaker 12: It's our choice in life to either look good or either that or work hard at it.
Speaker 4: Listen, That's why I hung around when Mike when we are both young Chicago Bears, because it was right when top Gun came out and Mike used to wear those Aviator sunglasses, and you know, he used to track a lot of attention because of it.
Speaker 3: I used to like the attention that Mike attracted.
Speaker 12: I was just trying to drive membership down to my parents' health club down in Mokena and Jolliett.
Speaker 1: Those of you out there are that are newer to the Bears and don't remember all the eighty five Bears. Big Mike is Chicago born and bred, Calumet City, Thornton Fractional North High School, Ohio State, then Bears, then several other stops in the National Football League. And are you still doing the volunteer assistant coaching at Youngstown State?
Speaker 12: I am, Jeff, and I'm having a lot of fun doing It'll be my eighth year coming up here in the spring, and have a lot of fun with it, getting a chance to inspire young men and that are serving the community well and serving the university.
Speaker 2: Well, so it's been fun.
Speaker 12: Jim Trustle has been to con and do it for many years, and he retired a year ago in January. You know, YU is a good place for me right now, and I've enjoyed every minute of it.
Speaker 1: Are you working with quarterbacks or all players or are you just there to lend.
Speaker 2: Support kind of combination?
Speaker 12: You know, for some reason in some way I kind of migrate towards the quarterback room, right oh yeah, and kind of getting the here of the offensive coordinator like every fan wants to do SAT Chicago.
Speaker 2: But no, it's been great.
Speaker 12: I've been advising Doug Phillips, our head coach going on his fifth year, and the Missouri Valley Conference. Guys, I don't know if you know it, but this weekend, South Dakota State versus Montana for the national championship on Saturday, and it'll be one competitive battle for sure.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mike, I'm not gonna dwell on it, but I'm gonna ask you one question about the college uniform because our good buddy and teammate Jay Hilgenberg sent out a tweet yesterday about his dissatisfaction with the uniform of the college player today, and the fact that most of these guys look like they're wearing shorts instead of a football uniform. Is it something as a coach that you just have to go along with to satisfy the kids or are you okay with it?
Speaker 2: I'm not okay with it. Our head coach isn't okay. You know what.
Speaker 12: Happens a lot of times, Tom, whether it be high school, college or the pros. Either you coach it or you allow it. And if you allow it, the locker room will take over. As you well know throughout your high school, college and professional career. And Jeff, you probably feel the same way a lot of things you do in life, let alone out of household or running a business. You know you got to coach them up consistently. Here's one thing I've learned about the college game. Assume they know nothing. They want to be told and taught, and you got to do it repetitiously because the rosters are turning over ever so quickly now in college football.
Speaker 2: So again, either to coach it or you allow it.
Speaker 4: I tell you some of the most educated points made that we've heard on this podcast. Now we've been doing almost fifty times, which is good to hear, super encouraging, Mike. But listen, you know, when Jeff introduced you as a former Chicago Bear, Ohio State tf North, the whole deal, you're also a former Green.
Speaker 3: Bay Packer when we get ready for this rivalry.
Speaker 4: We've always been Chicago Bears, and that's where our roots in the entire growth of our career is bred. Outside me playing one year for the Dolphins, you know, you had a chance to play it on a couple teams in the NFL. How do you look at the Bear pack Bear Packer rivalry at this point in your life as opposed to when we were both in our twenties and thirties.
Speaker 2: Well, that's changed.
Speaker 12: Obviously, the numbers stayed the same, but the names changed in the back of the jerseys on both teams. And it's been three plus decades since I played for the Green Bay Packers, and you know what a treat that was for me. You know, I was probably one of the first quarterbacks in Chicago Bear history that crossed that state line and went north to Green Bay, and I was grateful for it. I truly was Indian fante and ron Wolf and the ownership group welcomed me up there, and I tell you what. The first couple of weeks I was in Green Bay, Tom and Jeff I got interrogated. I got interrogated by Lindiante, by the offensive coordinator, by defensive quarter and Ron Wolf. What the hell are the Bears doing down there? Why are they winning so many division championships? And that was the mantra for them to try to capture. And sure enough, it didn't take him too long. Once bar and Mike Coman Holgern got there. You know, things changed rather quickly on the side of the Green Bay Packers, and it was a tree for me. You know, everyone says Ohio State Michigan is the greatest rivalry in college sports, but arguably there are many others, right, there are many other college games that are equally important. But Green Bay Chicago, guys, how many years now, one hundred and five maybe I don't know, number four, one oh four, yeah, oh my gosh. And how many of those you guys have probably kept the you know, two dozen or two decades of those right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for me, it's coming up on well twenty seven years. But you know, I graduated from Iowa State in eighty December of eighty four, told to go cover Bears training camp. And I have cassette tapes at home in boxes. I mean and now and I look back. We're all the same age. Like you know, I'm sixty one. I believe you are as well. Tommy's sixty and it just I was. It was an intimidating bunch in a good way.
Speaker 12: But you know what, I really I realized the rivalry was real. There was a guy named Ron Holstrom, Tom remembers, and he played at Iowa and it was our first spring workout and there were three stalls in the in the bathroom, three three poopers, if you will, and I'm in the far one against the wall. I didn't realize this, but there was no toilet paper. Long story short. A guy gets in the stall one and I say, hey, my man, can you help me out?
Speaker 2: He goes, who is that? And I said Tom Zech. He goes fu Ron holds. He left me hanging. You know.
Speaker 12: That's when he said, hey, you came from the Bears. You came from the Bears, So it was real. But again, your loyalties are with the colors you wear. And I had a good time competing against the Bears for two years. I was in Green Bay, and I always remember those games as being special on both sides of the sideline.
Speaker 4: Mike, when do you look at quarterback like justin fields when you think about, you know, what he did in Ohio State and what he's doing in the NFL. What is the most attractive part of his game to you? As a former Ohio State now a college coach and a professional quarterback.
Speaker 12: You know, Tom, this is something you guys have never seen before from the broadcast booth. He has thrown off schedule. He has made more plays off schedule than he's made on schedule. And I think you guys know what I mean. You know, plays call for a play action pass, he hits that fifth step and throws the ball. You know that might happen forty to thirty percent of the time, but the other sixty to seventy percent of the time it's off schedule. He's reacting, becoming an athlete, extending to play, widening the field still electric, so uncharacteristic because most defenses want a guy in the pocket, right They want to keep him.
Speaker 2: In the pockets.
Speaker 12: So well, you know, as a former Buckey, I wish him a long career because I've been holding that belt for a long time now, and I hope it's a healthy one because he's been banged up, you know, in the early part of his career, and he's missed you know, a number of games. You guys will know better than I, and I just wish him good help and hopefully everything works out in Chicago for him. And I wish I was a lot more like him. I wish I had some of that talent.
Speaker 1: There's a new wrinkle every week. I mean, you just really know as a broadcaster, and I mentioned this last year and Tom Tom's heard me say this. I had a hard time catching up to Justin when he started the running aspect of his season because he has options. He might throw it, he might stop and pop it looks like he's rushing around the end. He'll throw back the middle of the field, and so I never knew what was coming. So I had to kind of slow myself down a little bit. I've caught up to him now in the second year, but it's almost like a defensive player trying to catch up to a starting quarterback, you know when they're a rookie.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you've had to adapt in a broadcast booth and you slowed your broadcast down because you don't know the outcome. Tom, you would agree he's an outlier very rarely do you see. You might have saw Russell Wilson early in his career, right, that might have Randall Cunningham take it back, you know, three decades Michael Vick. But he is so different than everyone, and I enjoy watching the highlights. I don't see a lot of games, but I enjoy watching the highlights when he performs.
Speaker 4: You know, Mike, But as a coach, if you say he throws off schedule fifty maybe up to fifty five percent of the time, and you're coaching your receivers, you're coaching your offensive line, and you're not you know, you're you're coaching those guys.
Speaker 3: How do you coach them?
Speaker 4: If you talk about a quarterback that doesn't throw on schedule into the design of the specific play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a good point, Tom. It's a challenge. It's a challenge.
Speaker 12: I think everyone in that hallis fall has had to adapt on the offensive side of the ball. They've had to tell the offensive line sustain your blocks. You know, I know you don't have eyes in the back of your head, but you know, slow your pace down. You know, best thing you do is just play man to man defense with you know the opposition, and just hope that you're doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: But you know they've been they.
Speaker 12: Have been clicking, right, they've been clicking the last couple of weeks, three weeks, you know, with their offense. And I think they're okay with all schedule stuff because he gets you out of trouble and he gets you in a position where either we're going to go forward on fourth down or you're gonna go.
Speaker 2: Ahead and punt the ball away and play defense.
Speaker 1: Have you had the opportunity to watch Jordan Love since Week eleven? Sixteen touchdowns, one interception?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, I tell you that's another dude that is really playing out of his skin.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 12: You know, who would have thought that I'd like to have those numbers. Sixteen touchdowns, one interception. I mean, that's that's kind of an outlier for the last.
Speaker 2: Eleven weeks, right. But you know, one thing you look at Jeff, you know.
Speaker 12: His durability, He's remained healthy, He's had other complimentary players on his side of the ball. There's a great confidence right now the way they're playing so It's going to be a competitive battle, and I think both these organizations want to go out on the high note. So it'll be a sixteen minute game for sure, and a lot of blood left in the field.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mike, So the quarterback position, you look at farvar to Rogers, Rogers the love do you think that the template of success for the quarterback position is to draft a quarterback and have a good fortune of him sitting behind the quality of the quarterback for a couple of years.
Speaker 12: These quarterbacks nowadays, Tom, don't want to sit. You know, it's pretty obvious that they're going to play the younger guy if they can. Green Bay was a luxury, a great luxury, and the way they transition, you know there was, you know, kind of a plug and play. The stuff they're doing in Cleveland right now with their organization, with all the injuries they've had, and I look at the same scenario in Green Bay. You know, they had opportunities to, you know, do something. They believed in their quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 12: That's one thing that organization has done. They've been loyal and they trust the process of getting these quarterbacks to play at a high level.
Speaker 1: That Active on X otherwise known as Twitter, and I've noticed these, uh, these sayings that you've put out there, these uh, these thoughts, and I jot and I read them every day because I I'm interested in them, and a lot of it does speak to me. So here's one I think it was Today's Instead of crafting extensive lists of resolutions, we may want to choose a single word to guide our year. Stick toitiveness with exclamations, and then you punctuate each one of your phrases every day with onward, so onward and upward. And you know, I just I just learned yesterday that only one percent of the population in this world followed through or are held accountable for their resolutions that they put out there. So I like to stick to itives. Go what what has motivated you to do this?
Speaker 3: Is this?
Speaker 1: Is this something that you've always are? Are these your original thoughts? And now you know why you put it out there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question, Jeff, real good question.
Speaker 12: And you know, we can draw a different inspiration at different times in our life, whether it be a tragedy, whether it be you want to inspire other people. And think the older you get in life, the more you realize it's not about you. It's about serving others to whatever capacity, and being around these college student athletes. You know, they're so mobile, they're media savvy, they're putting out stuff. And when I started doing that, a lot of players would come up to me and say, hey, Coach, I appreciate that today talk to me. It really meant a lot to me. And if you touch one person, it could start a ripple effect. Right, It's like throwing a rock in a lake. You know, you see the ripple effect and everything. So you know, I draw inspiration from from people that I've read about. I draw internally inspiration to share, you know, and text messages, and you know, there's a message out there that we're not We.
Speaker 2: Haven't arrived yet. We haven't arrived.
Speaker 12: And that's why I always say on because in football and in life, it's the next play, it's the next series, it's the next day, it's the next opportunity. And that's the way I correlate my life. After three three downs, you don't get a first down. You got to punt the football or go for it on fourth down. So it's always onward and upward.
Speaker 1: I have one more, tom, let me read one uh, and this is this is true for all of us. I hope you're living the life you want, and if not, I hope you have the courage to turn around and start again. And that could be used in any any any walk of life, any business, any personal situation. And that one's big on me and Tom this one too. Uh, don't exercise to be thin, exercise to be strong. It's Tom, he's been. My daughter is a competitive weightlifter now and she's all over me. Dad. You gotta start lifting weights. Stop worrying about eating pasta and start lifting weights.
Speaker 12: Hey, sometimes it takes a message, the same message from a different voice that will Yeah, you know, touch your heart. And you know Tom and I, you know, we grew up working out a lot, my parents being in the health club, my brother being in the health club industry. A lot to be said for that. But the older we get Jeff in our sixties. Pliability, stick to itiveness, discipline. Those are three strong words that you can use through every day of your life. But how often can you use those?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 12: It's building, building, building, building, and a discipline kind of just as your foundation.
Speaker 4: But you know I talked to I talk about him multiple times weekly in my life, and I think Clyde Emerck had as much of an influence on Mike Tomzack's life as he did on my life.
Speaker 3: And I remember Clyde to the.
Speaker 4: Before he passed away talking about Mike Tomzak doing sixty one dips and just the displays of strength that as a quarterback Mike put on.
Speaker 3: And I think, when you have a guy like Clyde.
Speaker 4: Emrick that can be such a positive influence in your life. I think when I listen to to the message that Mike puts out there, almost listening to a Clyde Emrick type uh message deliver, you know, and all the things that he said to us repeatedly throughout our life, and how important he was in our future life.
Speaker 2: Great point. Jeez, what a mentor.
Speaker 12: I miss Clyde daily and he was an inspiration now only to a lot of former players or people in life, but the Bears organization.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 12: Six decades? I believe, yeah, I think six decades and just a huge impact. And you know he was. He was the kind of master link to that chain for a number of years. And hopefully somebody is picking up the picking up what he left off on and carrying the torch for him. But you know it's a great point, Tom, wonderful point about Clyde. And you know one thing Tom, Tom, good lift, but.
Speaker 2: Good lift hips hips.
Speaker 4: You know, I always say when if your bio starts, the first man in the world too, whatever it says after that, if it's a positive, it's going to inspire a lot of people. And Clyde was that way, the first man in the world to lift four hundred pounds overhead under a two hundred pound body weight, and what everything yet you had to do in order to accomplish that.
Speaker 3: People don't see that.
Speaker 4: They only read the sentence, and it kind of interest you in what he was able to accomplish. And I think that's what every way program across the country, high school, pro college, whatever it is, that's the influence they try to have.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Mike st a lot in college football.
Speaker 12: You know, one of the most valued assistants in any college program is a strength and performance coach.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt, Mike, you had a long career. Did you think you were going to Oh?
Speaker 12: I was a lot like Tom in some regards. You know, going to work every day thinking that you might be cut, having a poor performance on Sunday, you know, four interceptions against San Francisco acquiring a nickname Lotto picked four.
Speaker 2: Oh god, you know some of those meetings, you know. But I learned this a long time ago.
Speaker 12: My dad always said this, it's never as bad as you think it is, and it's never as good as you think it was. And he said that early in life to a lot of players that he coached. When I was in fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth grade, and then when I got into high school, it kind of was that mantra. You know, so don't get too excitable, stay humble, keep on working at your craft. And that's one thing that I did. I worked at my craft. I trusted my confidence, and I firmly believed that I was a leader of men. The ten greatest people I met in the huddle were the guys that were in that huddle every play, every series. And my job was to motivate and go out there and let my skill take over.
Speaker 2: And I didn't do it.
Speaker 12: You know, My biggest growth year, Jeff and Tom was my rookie year with the Bears, when Jim McMahon and Ed Hughes sat me down and said, hey, this game is simple. Just watch the safeties the two dudes that are underneath the goalpost. One's are free, ones are strong. See how they rotate. They're all on a string. And once that, once I absorbed all that, the game slowed down tremendously for me, and I knew I could play this game at a high level. And at the end of my career, I can always look back and say I was the winningest quarterback in Chicago Bear history, being a free agent out of calum At City, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a very proud, proud statement.
Speaker 12: I don't like to be boastful, but a lot of players helped me along the way when to get that, you know, title, Jeff and I was shocked when my son shared that with me six months ago. I was shocked that I was the winning his quarterback.
Speaker 2: I truly was.
Speaker 1: He Mike was the last remaining member of the eighty five team to be on an active roster in the end.
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 4: For going from free agent to the longest tenured member of the eighty five Super Bowl team, that's one hell of an accomplishment. When you think about some of the young guys, like that was my first year with the Bears. You think of some of the other the rookies on the team at that time, and Mike, Mike dow last us all. You know, that's that's you know, there's a lot of jerseys hanging on the wall.
Speaker 1: Now, you made it to you made it to two thousand, right, you made it too, But I think you were with the Lions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I made a two thousand.
Speaker 12: Brooke my leg the third preseason game, got a pay got a paycheck for sixteen weeks. Got a phone call from Matt Millen, the new uh general manager of Detroit Lions, Steve Mariucci's protege, and Matt told me your services are no longer needed, even though you have one year left on your contract. We're gonna let you go and bring Jim Harbaugh in. And I said, Matt, I'm a fighter, I'm a competitor. Bring us, bring me in, let me compete with him. He goes, no, we've already decided. And I said, Matt, with all due respect, I hope you never won a game. And I hung up the phone, and they went, oh in sixteen oh my, yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 12: Tom knows and Jeff, you've been around enough of these players.
Speaker 2: It never ends well.
Speaker 12: No, you know, I don't care in Chicago, Yeah, it kept you know, in Green Bay now you know, Cleveland, Cleveland, bo Pittsburgh. You know, it never ends well because when somebody terminates your contract, you got to find a job. I mean, you know he'll get And I always talk all the time. It have been better for them to cut us as free agents our rookie year so we could start our real life.
Speaker 1: Right wow. But that's uh, that's stick to itiveness to a t yeah by you right there. Wow, that is a fantastic story. See these podcasts. We're new to this this year. Right this is episode forty eight of the Bears et cetera podcast, And we sure do appreciate you listening. We appreciate our guests. And we've just out of happenstance. I thought comes into Tom's mind and we start and I threw your name out there. Hey, can you get a hold of Big Mic We be eve been getting a lot of quarterbacks and the stories are unbelievable. We Dan Fouts thought he'd never even make it out of his third year, you know, but yeah, you know, the coaching saved his career. They were ready to right you get the right mix. You were six years in Pittsburgh, right, who are your seven seven? Okay, who are your offense?
Speaker 2: Well, we've had three of them.
Speaker 12: We had Ron Earhart, we had Chen Gaily, Yeah, Ray Sherman, and then Mike Malarkey. So in the seven years there was a lot of turnover and offensive coordinators and different philosophy, but a lot like justin fields.
Speaker 2: Is going through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how does that impact you?
Speaker 12: Know, it's funny because the way Joe Flacco has been playing, I think a lot of that stuff is overrated. As far as the offensive coordinator. You know, you have a great skill, go out there and perform. You need to have a great supporter in your left ear to tell you, I'm gonna put you in the right play, You're going to succeed, You're gonna do fantastic, You're gonna lead these guys down the field. And you have to have that repeatedly. And I had some coaches in my career that were that way, and it gave me the great belie to go out there that everything is going to work out well.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it did, but most of the time it did.
Speaker 12: So you need somebody that you could trust and It takes a while developed, trust guys, you know, it really does, especially when you're at the quarterback position. I've had a number of quarterback coaches and offensive coordinators that if things went bad in the field for me, they would turn the other cheek, right, you know, they would like run up a tree.
Speaker 2: And it's like, okay, you son of a bitch.
Speaker 12: You know, I had your back for many, many, many weeks and many years, and now you're gonna run up a tree. But by and large, nothing to be this grunt all about. I enjoyed everything, every every training camp, every snap, every practical joke, every opportunity to get to know my teammates better.
Speaker 2: And it's been a great ride.
Speaker 12: And I'm just fortunate enough to be able to talk to you guys still and still be alive, you know, be quite honest with you. A lot of our teammates in eighty five and throughout that run in Chicago and no longer with this, and some are struggling today and it's just great to hear you guys voice very familiar voices.
Speaker 4: Last real funny story, Mike and I were the Bears are playing the Steelers, and Mike and I were walking through the lower part of the Steelers Stadium because they had an alumni weekend. And Aston Kircher, I think that's how you today his name, the guy from the seventies show. He was walking in and Mike wanted to go up and say hi to him.
Speaker 3: Before Mike got to him, he saw Mike and he goes Mike. Tom's at from the Super Bowl shovel. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: So you know, I mean, you think of just the route in the course and the people that get to know you throughout the course of time. It's just, you know, an awesome story book life.
Speaker 12: It really is Tom and and you know Aston Coocher, a huge bear spend I stood on the sideline with him and uh you know his current wife, Uh saw on the bear sideline.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: I have a picture with him in the background. I was too shocked. I was too I was too afraid to say. Got to get a pick with you, right.
Speaker 2: And you gotta make choices in life, Jeff. And sometimes those are still you know, you can go to the edge of the cliff and sometimes you gotta a jumper or take a leap of faith.
Speaker 12: But you know, Tom a good friend of ours. Here in Youngstown. Boom Boom Mancini. Yeah, well, here's a guy we met, you know, in the mid eighties, you know, through Tom Drees and everything, and Boom Boom's been you know, familiar face, you know, to be associated with an occasion here in Youngstown.
Speaker 2: And you know, he's a.
Speaker 12: Guy that absolutely loves the Chicago Bears. I mean, he tells me stories and his hands go as quick as his mouth goes, and he's just a fun, fun.
Speaker 3: Dude to be here.
Speaker 2: Roddy really is.
Speaker 3: Jeff.
Speaker 4: I know, I know that you have to go, but next time we're on the podcast, remind me I have a funny story about Boom Boom Mancini, and we have to get him to be on the pocket.
Speaker 1: We'll get him on the podcast for sure. All Right, real quick, we do have to go, and you're busy to Mike, but we appreciate this for those, again, the younger crowd. We got a younger audience these days as well. You played in the Super Bowl kick off return correct punt punting, Oh punt team? All right, break it down for me, what the hell happened?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, the last thing you want to do, as any player that you get to at a certain level of life and professionally playing the Super Bowl and have a d NP.
Speaker 2: Nice to your name did not play.
Speaker 12: And here we are, four minutes and forty three seconds left in the game, and Steve Fuller's hand the football offer, you know, to Calvin Thomas or Thomas Sanders, and I'm looking to my left and looking to my right, and I'm thinking, damn, I'm the only player hadn't played yet. So I'm mentioning closer to the field and Steve Kay's are standing next to me.
Speaker 2: I said, hey, case, I'm going in. He goes where I said, you wait and see special teams.
Speaker 12: As soon as fourth down came, Jeff I sprinted across the field like I stole something. Told Sean Gale, who happened to be the gunner on that side of the field. I said, hey, coach Kaes wants to see it as a former teammate. Sean said, all right, man.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 12: Willie Claiborne all told defensive back lines up across me. He goes, what's up, And as Susie said what's up, the ball was snapped and I'm running down the field and he shoulders older with me. So I grab his face mask, unfortunately, and throw him down. I figured, you know, the former wrestler, the body goes where the head goes.
Speaker 2: And here comes irving front of.
Speaker 12: My way and I kind of sashet him, push him out of bounds or whatever. And watching the replay and the big screen, I'm all the way to the sideline, the bare sideline, Dick. It hits me right in the chest, that nice little shiver, and he goes, what are you doing? I said, coach, I don't have time to tell you. I got twenty family members. They're all from Chicago Land. This is a dream of mine to play in the Super Bowl for my favorite team. An he questions, He goes, yeah, you're in the next series.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 12: I would have never kept the game ball because I knelt down the last play and in the locker room, my bag and I came back out and celebrate with Tom and Jay and everyone, and so you had to do it.
Speaker 1: So you took the game ball.
Speaker 12: Oh, it was the last one to head it on a kneel down. Yeah, where is that game ball right now? It's sitting on my mantle.
Speaker 1: That is a fan task store. Yeah, yes, it's it's I'm surprised. I mean, how did you not get you know, reamed for it is the question.
Speaker 4: Well, he got called for face mask. I know he did throw the pedal.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you guys really were forty six to ten.
Speaker 2: I know, six to ten.
Speaker 1: But you know how coaches are here, You know how coaches are.
Speaker 12: Coaches want to coach right, Coaches want to coach and correct. And I looked at it as a positive thing because you know, I was Dicka's favorite quarterback and every year I call him on his birthday and said, this is your favorite quarterback and he says, you're right, You're my favorite quarterback. Because I would say I saved his ass when he had a heart attack on that Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a funny story real quick. I go up to Hallas Hall. We had a terrible game against New England. But back and forth the.
Speaker 12: Oyo McMahon, Tom Zach, McMahon, Tom Zach, then all the horror ball blah blah blah. I didn't shower after the game. I'm ready to quit football. I'm ready to quit football. In nineteen eighty seven, I'm tired of Dick all this stuff, and I'm driving up to Hallas Hall Monday morning and a WBBM breaks in and says, we've got a developing story. Mike Dicka had a heart attack. I said, yes, yes, there is a holy spirit. He's been listening to me the straightness' rear end out.
Speaker 2: And that was on a Monday. Wednesday.
Speaker 12: I went to see him at Lake Forest Hospital only say kid, you're my favorite. I'm never gonna yell at you again, never gonna yell at you again. We went out and to play the Redskins. Remember at toms On that Sunday. Yeah, probably one of the better game. Our team offensively, had a great game and never had any more issues with Dicka.
Speaker 1: Gosh, great stuff. You also quarterback the Alays. You also quarterback the Fog Bowl. You won her first ten starts at quarterback. That set an NFL record until Big Ben broke it. You had the highest scoring game in the history of three Rivers Stadium, your quarterback the Steelers against Tennessee. So much great stuff, a great long career, a very productive life, and your love of the game still pouring through. We appreciate you being Mike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: Bear down, bear down, all right, all right, Tom people probably, well, everybody who loves the Bears and eighty five Bears know a lot of the history of you and Mike. But you guys had TNTs back in the day. Tell us about that for people don't know what them you guys. You guys were restaurant tour bar owners. And it was a popular place, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was a successful restaurant in Joliet T and T stood for Thayre and Tom Zach. The telephone numbered ended in eighteen fifty seven.
Speaker 3: His number was eighteen. Mine was fifty seven.
Speaker 4: And it was a restaurant that was predominantly run by my brother and my mom.
Speaker 3: My mom and my brother, however you want to put it.
Speaker 4: And it was a great place at the time, and we put a lot of time.
Speaker 3: And effort into it. We are down here weekly.
Speaker 4: We came and we did a cable TV show out of here every Tuesday during the regular season. We would come and sit behind the counter and sign autographs for hours at a time.
Speaker 3: So it's something that we took a lot of pride in and uh.
Speaker 4: The really the theme of the restaurant lasted into just about five to eight weeks ago when we ended up selling the final version that ended up being Fair Brothers, Deli and Grill. But Mike and I he because he was from the Frankfurt area, which is about eleven miles away from Joliet, and he went to high school in the area. I went to the high school in the area, and we took a lot of pride in it and it was a fun place that.
Speaker 3: Was supported by the community.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: The location was built across the street from my high school football field, and uh, you know it was it was a mainstay in the area, and I thought it was really important if we were ever going to get involved in something, to do something that could help the support of our hometowns.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly what it did.
Speaker 11: Who came up with the idea I did because the restaurant that we put it in used to be a restaurant called Sirloin or Pub and my mom was a waitress there her whole life as we were growing.
Speaker 4: Up, and it was a place with a big fireplace in the middle, high vaulted ceilings, fun And then we went in there and we renovated it. The same guy owned it that owned it when my mom worked there, and we we leased the restaurant for a period of time, did the renovations. It had a big parking lot, it was on a busy street corner in Joliet, and I think it's kind of you know, Difka had a restaurant and with the popularity of the team, and we were both local guys and so we kind of, you know, met with a group of people. And my dad was a super handy guy that helped in the renovations and everything. And my mom was in the restaurant business her whole life. And my brother was an on the spot type of guy, and so, you know, the restaurant business is a difficult is a difficult business, and all due respect to all successful restaurant owners in the country, it was a great learning experience and it was a lot of fun for me and my family.
Speaker 1: The fun conversation with Mike, and he seems like he's in a great place. He's got a lot of knowledge, and he's given back, he's given back to football. And he's certainly the son of a coach, a prominent coach at that and in a prominent career in the National Football League. He's done a lot, he does. He looks great, So it's always always good to see some of the guys from the eighty five team. That's where I got my start covering sports in this town was training camp and platvill And so you guys were mythical figures already. Then you know more you want this Ron.
Speaker 4: Mike's dad, Ron Tomsack, as you mentioned, was a successful high school coach, and he also owned a health club, a fitness club. His brother, younger brother, Steve, owns a health club fitness club here in the area in his whole town. And his son plays for Mike tom Zach at Youngstown State as a receiver.
Speaker 3: And then Mike's.
Speaker 4: Brother, his other brother, Ron Tomzak, is a college football official.
Speaker 1: And the nephew is a very good kicker. Yes, take a chance download the Bent Rivers app today and we're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. All right, back into the Bears. Let's look now at the Bears defense and what they're going to expect from a young, very talented group of receivers that has a hot quarterback.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I think Bears defensively, they're bringing in an entirely different focused defense that they had Week one. I think they're taking an entirely different team from first level, second level to third level. I think they have more players on the defensive line that come in there at a fresh rotation, and I think that can take a toll on their offensive line if they're had to make changes throughout the season here. So when you're looking at a Bears defense that is going to be in tune with the snap count of Jordan Love, I think they can get a better get off on the ball. I think they can put the offensive line in a more backpedal type position that can make the decision process by Jordan Love even more sped up. And I don't know what the status of Watson is, their big receiver that they brought aboard, if he's going to be healthy or not, but he has big playability. Reid has big playability. The tight end position has been able to help him. They still have Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. However, I think that the defense or the offense of the Green Bay Packers is facing an entirely different defense than they faced Week one.
Speaker 1: Do you know that the Bears right now are holding opponents rushing game better than the eighty five Bears defense?
Speaker 4: They run the ball a lot less nowadays than they did in eighty five. I mean, there's all these reasons, and sometimes it's.
Speaker 3: Hard to compare.
Speaker 4: However, the Bears defense has improved at such a.
Speaker 3: Dramatic rate that it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Surprise me that they're turning teams into teams that have to throw the ball more than they have the luxury of running the ball. And when you see it against some of the opponents that they faced as of recent especially the Detroit Lions, who has the one two punch of their running game, the Bears have done a great job against it. And I think this is probably the most formidable front seven that they're going to face since Aaron Jones has been a part of the Packers.
Speaker 1: I got hurt in the opener, ran off to the hamstring. Yeah, and that's always been problematic, all right, Tom, You know there's many a game you can't just focus on one. I'm focusing on making sure you protect the ball and taking the ball away, but I'm also in my mind formulating a plan here. You better have a quick start. If you have a fizzled start, that place gets a little crazy. And yeah, Packers' feet off of that, I don't care if it's Far, if it's Rogers or now Love got to get a quick start, got a quick start because in their minds, gosh, we did it. Did this happen last year against Detroit? We got knocked out of the playoffs. Now it's a different team. That team was expected to do great things. This one was not. So they've kind of arrived ahead of schedule a little bit and have a chance here to win their ninth game and go to the playoffs as a late six or seven seed. So I just hope the Bears really start fast, like be on it, you know, be crisp, be clean, and don't make yourself dig a hole that you're going to now try to figure out how to get out of. Late in the game.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, they better take a look at last week's game plan because the Atlanta Falcons missed two field goals to open up the game. And if you want to talk about starting fast, Okay, if you hold them to three, I think that's a win by the Bears defense, But you can't give them the opportunity to get in the red zone and convert it into a touchdown. Then all of a sudden, you have the crowd involved in the game and you're fighting an uphill battle of the aggressiveness of the defense. And I'll tell you this one of the asterisk points of this game. When Trent and Gil has to punt, he better be good because I don't think the punting game for the Bears over the last few weeks has been the best part of their special teams. So when you're in position where you can have a punt that makes a Green Bay start possession inside the ten yard line, or can kick the ball out of bounds to have a long field.
Speaker 3: You have to do that.
Speaker 4: And it's not all about offense and defense. It's about the contributions of the special teams. And I know the Bears. When the Bears do punt, they can't allow their punt returner to have significant first down contributions.
Speaker 3: To the start of the drive.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's going to take the Bears offense, you know, starting starting fast, And Okay, it's like this, so the Bears have taken the ball if they win the coin toss, and last week when Atlanta won the coin toss, they took the ball first. When you look at Bears starting fast, do you want the Bears to keep the ball if they get if they win the coin toss, or do you want to give the ball to Jordan Love and put your defense on the field first, Because.
Speaker 3: I think I think I want a significant decision.
Speaker 1: I think I want to take the ball for this one. You do, Okay, I'm coming in with some swagger. I've won seven of twelve. I got a jazzed up group of guys that have played hard all season long. They're hearing every single day about oh gosh, can you knock the Packers out of the playoffs? And the messaging is, whether you agree or disagree, is we're worrying about just what we're doing. We want to win for us and build a platform to the future, even though this is going to be a different roster in twenty twenty four. So I'd say, you know, is it risky? Sure, it's risky. It could be a first down blitz that knocks the ball, scoop and score. And then I'm gonna be very upset with myself.
Speaker 3: For saying that question about that same thing though.
Speaker 4: So the balls take the Bears take the ball first, So does Luke Getsy think, Okay, I know what Green Bay's thinking. This is all I want to do or does Luke Getsy say hey, I know what our offense does, well, this is what I want want to do. Sometimes, Jeff, when you get caught in these scenarios where you get an ex coach that's familiar with the products, sometimes you start thinking too much. But I think Luke has done a really nice job of designing first possession drives. Yes, and so that piques my interest too. If you say, Okay, Luke, what do you want to do? We can take the ball first. Do you feel that you're confident about your first scripted plays, that you know a combination of what the Bears are, you know their strong points are right now in how to take advantage of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need I need wins on my first first possession here. I need win winning plays. I need that confidence to go in there. Because you're going in with confidence. Don't let it get muted right out of the gates.
Speaker 4: The first game of the year, you got Alan Williams calling defenses. Now you got Matt Eberflus. The first game of the year, you had Luke Getsy calling offensive plays, and now you've got Luke Gatzi calling plays in the eighteenth game of the year. That's almost an entire lifetime. Yeah, for an offensive coordinator for the length of one season.
Speaker 1: Tom, it's a I mean it's a different team I have. It's a different team. This is a different This is not the Week one Bears. Nope, Nope, not by a long shot. Busy Heart Seltzer, the official Heart Seltzer of the Chicago Bears. All right, Tom, we're going to wrap up here. Great show, by the way, it's been a lot of fun. Can't believe we've done forty eight of these and we've got.
Speaker 4: One more question for it on the profession, on the professional side of it. So your your flip chart that you make when you do a broadcast, second to none.
Speaker 3: I got more information than you can possibly use. Do you make a new flip chart since it's week eighteen.
Speaker 1: Or always a fresh one?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So I was reading my flip chart this morning that I made week one, and it's interesting to see within that period of time, who wasn't there, who is there, who's not playing, who's now earned the starting.
Speaker 1: What have you learned? What have you learned? Because I I haven't done my board yet.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Watson was injured the first game of the year, and now there's speculation that he will be back on the field come Sunday.
Speaker 1: There a lot of Bachtiari is not there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the offensive line as a whole, you know, there was a lot of injuries and stuff and just you know, just something when you talk about there's a whole life in between week one and week eighteen. It's funny when you can read the charts that you made week one.
Speaker 1: Just wait till training camp when we get started again. Things look so weird, that's for sure, all right. So we talked to Mike tom Zeck. As you heard earlier in the Bears et cetera podcast here and there, I told you about his his Twitter x comments every day. Here's a couple more because they are really good. They're really good, and I've been I've been reading them for weeks. Give me a critical attitude toward my own faults and a tolerant one towards the faults of others. And he always punctuates with onward that that's a good one for both of us.
Speaker 3: You're right, you're right, because.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you and I are not tolerant even of each other. Sometimes, right we can get under each other's skin. Come on, but this one, this one. This is Chris. This one, Chris is crystallized Tom Thayer. This is all about Tom Thayer. Ready, it's not bad, but maybe it's not the exact. But speak the truth, even if your voice shakes, because sometimes you get angry, but you speak the truth. Onward, Tom, Onward, Onward. Bears fans listen.
Speaker 4: I admire Mike and I'm glad to see that he's giving us some of his knowledge.
Speaker 1: No, it's impressive, it really is. And the and the I'll tell you what's even more is the volunteer. We didn't get into that, but the volunteer aspect for eight years as opposed to getting a paid position in college. That's quite the that's quite the love of the game and giving back, Yes it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 4: It's I think it's the admiration for the kids that he's working with as well.
Speaker 1: Yep, Bears fans, you can be there for live NFL action all season long. As the official ticket marketplace for the Bears in the NFL, Ticketmaster as a wye selection of tickets available for every game. Find tickets today at ticketmaster dot com. Slash Bears. We are going to find out a lot more in one game, which happens to be the finale from Your Chicago Bears on Sunday starting at three twenty five. You can hear it on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network, Myself, Tom Thayer, and Jason McKee as we wrap up yet another season together. I think I'm right. I think we're going to learn a lot one way or another about the Chicago Bears in this game.
Speaker 3: Where I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I'm already so angst that when I get on that bus after the game, I want to be I want to have.
Speaker 3: A smile on my face. It looks like I have a hanger in my mouth.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's how much I want to be smiling because I know how I'm going to be if it's the other way around.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, a couple of years back, when Jaquem Grant returned to punt for a touchdown and there's a there's a go pro in our booth, it's not always there. The Bears decide when to do that or not. And I'm losing my mind and the Bears are losing the game, and Tom's just watching and he's not even moving a muscle, and Mike Golick in the booth next to us is laughing. He's seeing me go crazy, and he's pumping his fist like way to go. Tom's inconsolable. That's how he is at a Bears Packers game. And you know what, I wouldn't want it in any other way. I just love the raw motion and the feeling because hey, nobody's invested more than you guys in the Bears, Packers and the fans. Of course, all right, we'll have it for you and our next Bears, Etc. Podcast on Tuesday of next week. We'll recap the season and look forward to the future. It's going to be a wild, wild future for the Chicago Bears. Thanks for listening, everybody, please subscribe now the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcast. Tom take us home, will you?
Speaker 3: Goll Bears?
Speaker 1: That's it, Thanks for listening.