Speaker 1: Welcome into Raven's press Pass. Today we'll hear from the coordinators, offensive coordinator Todd Munkin, defensive coordinator Mike McDonald, and special teams coordinator Chris Horton. Let's start with offensive coordinator Todd Munkin.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody good, great, all right, that's it perfect, perfect, that's perfect. Yeah, Washington, Oh man, it was awesome. Awesome to compete against another team. Different looks kind of heightens the intensity of a practice. It reminds you of what this is all about. I mean, it's it's about winning. It's about competing and uh, winning individually and then ultimately winning as a team.
Speaker 3: But it was really not it was really great. It was great.
Speaker 4: To come into Frank camra the off season. It's like a very detail idea what you want to do.
Speaker 5: Offensive look like?
Speaker 4: How much did that picture kind of change all once you get working with guys at Steeple the Gray and you know see person and person.
Speaker 3: All the above.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have an idea what you wanted to look like. It's always a work in progress. We're always under construction. A player is an offense is as we still learn each other and strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 3: And it's a little bit harder.
Speaker 2: When you don't play a game yet, right, you don't you don't know that what it'll look like Week twelve, thirteen fourteen, compared to what it will be to start that remains to be seen.
Speaker 3: I want to talk.
Speaker 2: About setting and sending you and team plays and ideas and plays of a scene, and then you're you know, receptive and hearing that.
Speaker 3: And that's something things you've always done. Talking about that process a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of your listening to your players and the ideas that they are played as a niche and running well.
Speaker 2: First off, if you empower your players, then I don't say this there they're more you're more receptive of their ideas and they put more time and effort into it, not just things that they see, but things that they may see on film or what's on their mind in terms of a better way of doing it. Because if they don't have confidence in what we do, you're really in trouble. So I think that's a step in the right direction. And when players have ideas or thoughts or suggestions, it's been my background of hey.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at it.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at what you see as long as it's well thought out and I think it fits. There does come a point where you can't have twenty eight suggestions for God's sakes.
Speaker 3: But the reality is you do want them involved.
Speaker 2: You do want them feeling good about the process how we go about game planning. And once they do that, then there's, like I said, a certain amount of empowerment ownership into what we do. And then they feel terrible when it doesn't work because it was their idea.
Speaker 3: They become the oc U. It was your idea. And help.
Speaker 6: Y'all you said that you kind of you think of what you say between sous to give you.
Speaker 3: A little more on Bluebell, Ba Nace and that Timestam.
Speaker 6: We're to see that right now.
Speaker 3: You're developing always.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: Years ago at the Manning camp, Peyton told one of our quarterbacks and it was Nick Mullins at Southern miss I said, what'd you get out of it?
Speaker 3: Said Peyton?
Speaker 2: Manning said, never get tired to run the same routes over and over and over. Don't ever get tired of being elite at the little things like don't ever get tired of That's how you build a certain chemistry, an idea of how they're going to come out of their breaks and win, their body language, what they put into their route. So I think that's always ongoing since we're Odell's new year, but Odell is an elite route runner does take pride in that. So I think as we continue to go and move forward, I think they'll continue to build suggestions.
Speaker 5: Do you like trick plays or a fan.
Speaker 2: Like plays at work? So if that works, then I'm into trick plays. So I don't I mean, I don't know. I mean, it's, uh, we'll see. I mean, you know, it's usually that's what the players come up with. You know, that's usually what they like. They've got like the triple reverse pass, you know, something like that, and they're usually the ones throwing it.
Speaker 3: Just just to say that, have you seen the hands up thats like there has been a better feel with memmore and I mean, has there been something like you did that you've seen the past?
Speaker 6: Think?
Speaker 2: So, I think so, I think with all of the guys, Odell's a part of that and the players that have been out there, I think that comes with reps like anything comes the same with offensively, the the things we do in practice that you have success with builds confidence into calling it. Same with players. The players that you keep and that you trust show it in practice. So when you see certain things in practice, it's easy to carry over and call it in the game. If not, then you're just guessing. So there's a lot of work that goes into it. With you just want to see it run around a little bit. You've seen it for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Now, what do you see from you make? What do you make what you see?
Speaker 2: He Well, we're excited to have him out there, and so what we've seen so far is to me, a player that's eager to get going. He loves playing football, That's what I see. And he's he's being diligent in what he's missed from a mental standpoint, That's what I like. He's still building himself up to being able to go a full practice. But I see diligence. I see a guy that's eager to get going. He loves playing football.
Speaker 5: Be really dynamic out here in practice against the Ravens. To see him do it against the Commanders, to see him jut a guy in the first press game.
Speaker 3: What does that show in what we see every day? I mean that that's just it. You know, it's.
Speaker 2: Usually a player's elite skill set shows up. Right, That's a physicality of a player will show up. The ability to stop on a dime and make people miss. You'll see that show up. So now, uh, with that, that is a obviously a strength of his. Now we're working to refine some of the other things. Uh, that will make him a complete player?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Mark Andrew's highly competitive and astute learner. I mean he wants to know how we see a concept and he wants to do whatever he can to help us win. I mean to me, that's what he's always done. But you don't see that till you get around him. How he loves to compete, how you know how he approaches every day. Is one of the first guys in our offensive meeting. He's sitting right there, ready to go. He's wide eyed, he's taking notes and that's impressive.
Speaker 3: Back a JK for a.
Speaker 6: Second can get from the field and now you're able to up with them with the team.
Speaker 5: Is there a point where maybe like an idea pops into your head when you see JK running out there or a band, What do you see or how does.
Speaker 3: Your mind work there?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 2: I mean it's hard because it's early, but all players are like that, including JK. What you see on a daily basis builds us and do what you want to call. So, whether it's a matchup player at running back, tight end or receiver where you feel like they can win on their own, or you start to see how they run the football, their skill set I think adds to that. So with every day, I'll be able to see more of that. Not that I haven't seen film, but I haven't seen in person yet. Upstairs, much easier to spread out, much easier to stay calm.
Speaker 3: The emotional side of it is much easier.
Speaker 2: Because at the moment you feel like you can scream. No one's right there, even though you think they can hear you through the glass. But the reality is it allows you to stay a lot more focused and try to keep it as calm as you can.
Speaker 3: As calm as you can.
Speaker 2: I'm human, so it doesn't mean I don't get frustrated or I don't make mistakes, but it has always allowed me and I can see it better.
Speaker 3: You can see it better in person.
Speaker 6: Year carefully about problem, drac.
Speaker 2: Well, what we're trying to show is what our guys know and what we can go to the field and they can execute. So we're not playing everybody. So when you're not playing everybody, the group that's out there, what can they run and execute at a high level.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: So we're showing what I think they can execute, if that makes sense at this moment in time.
Speaker 1: Next up, defensive coordinator Mike McDonald, How are you navigating?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've thought about it, and you know, I assumed that question was going to happen, but I think it's an opportunity to one just you know, give a shout out to Marlon and the things that he's done, you know, for our for our defense and our team. I mean, you're talking about a guy that, uh has been here in the off season, has taken on a leadership role. He's out there every day, he practices extremely hard, he practices the right way, and uh, you know, he's a teach.
Speaker 6: He's a teach tape every every practice.
Speaker 4: So you know, obviously, you know, we'll see, we'll see the length of time that he's gonna miss. We'll miss him absolutely, But you know, we do have we do have good players in our back end, and and you know, the expectation is to come in and and to uh and to produce and execute and and play the way that we play. So we'll take it one day at a time. I'm sure you know there'll be pieces moving from here from between now and the and you know, when we get kicked off and see where we're at. But I think right now we're just trying to figure out where to where to put all the spots. And I think he will come into clear focus as uh as the season approaches. Yeah, we have you know, with Kyle, it's it's a function of you know, how much how much we want to move him around on a on a per play basis. You know, it's not easy going from one one position to another. If you can package it, uh to make a little cleaner with you know, and someone whoever fills in for his role if we do, if and when we do move him, you know, that's something else that we're considering as well. So it's not just Kyle that we're you know, we're uh, we're considering when we're talking about moving him.
Speaker 2: You've had somewhere in cars from and I've seen a lot of Hardarius Washington that can nick that's something how do you think he's here that there's overall about the Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ur Darius has done a great job, and I think he really felt him in the game. He plays extremely fast, he plays decisive. You know, he's not the biggest h d B of all time, but he throws his body around and he doesn't play little. You know, he plays like he plays like a big player. So you know, I give him credit for that. He's a tough player, and uh, you know, he's very He's a lot more consistent this year, and I'd say that this time last year. I think he'd tell you the same thing. So H pleads with with AD's progress for sure, John Seymour, H, I think he's had a great camp. You know, I think you put him in the ar Darius conversation of just being more consistent. I think he's playing more confidently and especially as man de man techniques. But he's a guy that you know, he's just he's he's had a s's, he's kind of had been in a few places. He's been a great special teams player. And you know, I'm sure that you tell you that he's excited about having an opportunity to expand his role on defense. So you know, when, if, and when his opportunity comes, you know, I expect him to be out there making plays just like everybody else.
Speaker 1: Like maybe the the sip, the line of the quarterback death that.
Speaker 5: You get really the safeties and marks child, How confident are usual those guys?
Speaker 3: Sometimes the way to pick up the slider going you see the jor handed a quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I would say I'm extremely confident for them to go in and play.
Speaker 6: Really good football.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say they got to pick up any slack, you know. I just you start trying to do things outside of what we're asking you to do within this scheme. I think that's when you get when you get holes and and uh and in seams that you're not trying to create. So they're doing a great job. Uh, they've had both had great camps and have a lot of confidence in those guys. But I think it's gonna be exciting to watch them on the game. But the expectation is not to do anything extra but just do their jobs.
Speaker 3: Alid just kind of stood out kind of hand back.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, like to your to your point, James, this is first camp. I mean he's really he really is a rookie, I mean in really almost every matter of the of the words. So we're preaching consistency, just like we did with with a DAFE last year, and focusing on day to day routine, Okay, the process, taking it snap by snap, no hide, don't get too high, don't get too low. It's a long season and and we want him out there, you know, for the long haul. So you know, the expectation is is that, uh, he's going to be able to produce for us, you know, consistently. So that's the message that we're trying to get get get towards him. And I think he's accepting it. And uh, you know i'd say, I'd say for being a rookie, it's a it's a good first good camp, you know. Yeah, I would just piggyback on my answer there. I think you do see a daily focus from him on what we're asking him to do within the defense. I say, his his rush is a lot more decisive. I think you see a more consistent plan on a down in and down out basis. And uh, you know, the message to him is you know I told the other day, is you know, let's can you do it for fifty five plays. Can you do it for sixty plays? That's a challenge and I and I think he's taken that on head on. So I'm proud of his approach there and his mentality. But we'll see that's that's the next step.
Speaker 2: For him yet.
Speaker 6: But give it a yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the hand that we've been dealt, so you know, we got to take it on head on and we're rolling, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's if you take it.
Speaker 4: If you have a different approach, then you know all you're doing is just wasting time. But to your point, you know, there's certain things that we wanted to get to at this point if you would have considered everyone was available, you know, so you got to kind of put your ego aside and table those things. And for certain guys, based on where their development is, you know, you have to evaluate that. And you know, now you're looking at hey, let's you know, let's make sure we're doing all the stuff and everybody's on the same page. We'll get to the stuff that we want to get to in time when it's the correct time. But right now, time is to get everybody, get everybody rolling up to speed for sure.
Speaker 1: And lastly, special teams coordinator Chris Horton.
Speaker 7: Good to see everyone today. Hope everyone's doing well. Just a quick little recap from the game. It seems like it was forever ago, but I'll just try to give you as much as I can remember. I thought, I thought all the guys went out there, they play well, they compete it. We gave him an opportunity to try to, you know, make some plays. We didn't really have that many opportunities in the part return game. You know, one of the glaring moments we did put a ball on the ground. Obviously we've been coaching our butt offs with that. James knows, you know, what we expect whenever he's back there. Ball security first. The last two days have been really good for us. I thought the commanders came in here and really did a good job and gave us a great look. I thought we got some really good punt and punt return work, which is what we look forward to, is what we needed, and we got some young guys doing some good things. Just really looking forward to seeing those guys go out on Monday night and perform at a high level. Questions you see, I'm keeping as you know, ke Keaton's doing a great job. We got him back there for a reason. He's got he's got elite speed, he's got great vision, and his ball.
Speaker 6: Security is outstanding.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, so we're just gonna continue to give him opportunities back there. Uh. We got some other guys that will also put back there this week and give opportunities to But Keaton's doing a great job. We put him at gunner, We're letting him, you know, we're letting him play out there. We put him as an inside player on kickoff and just allowing him to utilize his skill set, you know, his speed, his physicality whenever he's out there.
Speaker 6: You know, Jeff I do.
Speaker 7: I thought Jordan came out. He punted the ball very well. He had great hang time on those punts. He gave our gave our coverage an opportunity to get down the field. Obviously, there's some things that we're going to continue to work on, uh as far as keeping the ball out of the middle of the field. But when the ball was in the middle of the field, he had hang times which allowed our guys to get down the field and uh and and cover.
Speaker 6: So I'm really pleased where Jordan is. And obviously we're going to continue to work.
Speaker 3: Christ you've spoken high. We have Tyler rots from them. He arrived with pretty pleased to see you've seen him practice carry over to the game.
Speaker 6: Did you see it?
Speaker 3: Kind of?
Speaker 6: You know, practice has carried over to the games.
Speaker 7: And again I thought, uh, you know, in the preseason games you don't really get as many rushes.
Speaker 6: But I thought, the last two days, what we got out of him.
Speaker 7: From the commanders and what we've seen from the commanders has really just really proven our proven ourselves right that this guy, this guy can get it done. And I thought, I thought his field goal snap on that sixty yard er, man, it was from snap to hold to the to the kick, it was outstanding.
Speaker 4: When contacts gonna get on limited at what are you looking for when you when you're value waiting young guys were good opera guys, you might work, you.
Speaker 6: Know, we're just looking for that.
Speaker 7: We're looking for guys that fly around, play with a play with high level of intensity, play with good effort, play with physicality, and just really see who could who could execute under pressure and not make the minimal mistakes. Uh, And then we will give those guys opportunities throughout the game to kind of really go cover some kicks and make some plays, and we just want to see guys play the raven way.
Speaker 5: Justin's sixty yards, it looks like it could have been further from significantly longer. You all messit measure exit velocity or how far kicks could have gone, where they could have been made.
Speaker 3: Like is there an analytics pression all that kind of stuff you take.
Speaker 7: It, you know Roun there probably is, But I don't think when when we're in the game, I don't think Randy's thinking about that.
Speaker 6: I think, uh, throughout the.
Speaker 7: Pregame, Randy knows Tuck's line and he's he's like, hey, we can we we can be good from here. And we line up there, we kicked the ball and you know, we put Tuck out there, he's gonna expect to make the kick. And it was a it was a great night for.
Speaker 3: It personally seen from.
Speaker 4: Tyler Walls.
Speaker 7: Again, all these guys are doing a really good job, specifically Thailand. You know, Thailand's in his third year, right and and if if we just remember when Tailand was a rookie man, he played, he played lights out for us, and then last year it wasn't he wasn't so great for him, and I think this year he's come back and he's putting himself, given himself a great opportunity again to really go out and uh excel on special teams. As far as some of the other guys, what I'm seeing from from Dante and Sean, you know, I just want those guys to come out there and just be physical, run around, put their helmet on somebody, and just play our style of football.
Speaker 6: And they've done a really good job with that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Raven's Press Pass. If you haven't done so already, make sure you subscribe, leave a rating and review. And if you haven't done so already, make sure you check out the Lounge podcast where we have episode five hundred featuring Kicker Justin Tucker. Subscribe, rate and review that. Thanks for listening to you.
Speaker 3: Back with you tomorrow,