Speaker 1: Welcome to Reasonably Shady. This is Gaselle Brian here, and I am here with hello everyone.
Speaker 2: My name is Robin Dixon.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is our Reasonably Shady podcast. This is our first podcast. Guys. We don't know what the hell we're doing, but just bear with us because we're going to figure it out and by the time we're like on episode I don't know, twenty eight will be great. So we do kind of want to tell people how we met, right, well.
Speaker 2: I think we should start off with just why are we Why is this podcast called reasonably Shady?
Speaker 1: That's very important. So to know us is to know that Robin is extremely reasonable. She's like practical, She's always like Switzerland. She always tries to see the good in people. And I'm just shady.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, So Gizelle's first reaction to something is a shady one, and then.
Speaker 1: I think about it, I process it, and then I try to be like Robin, which is very reasonable, but hmmm, doesn't really work. I just stay on the shady side.
Speaker 2: Yes, you sure do, Yes, I mean, but sometimes you don't take that much convincing. I have to, like, you know, we'll have a private conversation. I'll say well, look at it this way. Sometimes I get through to you. Yes, yes, but yes, so welcome to reasonably shady where you will get a lot of reason and a lot of shade.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Now I can say that. One hundred years ago, I moved to Baltimore, I got married, and me and my husband at the time went to the car wash. And who did I see but this beautiful woman. And I was like, oh my gosh, she really pretty. She kind of looked like me, you know what I'm saying, And.
Speaker 2: That's why she was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why she was beautiful. But no, I saw her and I was like, Wow, she's really really beautiful, and I thought to myself, I wonder who that is. Then years later I was at a party, lo and behold this beautiful woman was introduced to me. Yes by our friend Cherisa.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so Charis invited us both to a charity event, one of the biggest, you know, one of the biggest charity events in the city of DC. All the women look forward to it. Everyone gets pissy drunk. So everyone was pissy drunk at this charity event except for us. Maybe, yeah, probably like a little bit. I was probably partaking. We ended up at the same table, sitting right next to each other.
Speaker 1: Yes, So once I realized who she was, She's Robin Dixon. It dawned upon me because when I moved to Baltimore, Robin is from Baltimore that everybody kept asking me was I related to Robin Dixon? And I was like, I don't know, no, Robin Dixon, and who the hell is Robin Dixon and Robin Dixon what? So then I was like, holy shit, you the girl everybody's been asking me about. And she's beautiful, so I don't mind being related to her. We're not related, but I mean, you know, okay, I'll take that exactly. So we instantly became besties and like the rest is history.
Speaker 2: But I feel like it took like it was like we were sitting next to each other and we instantly were being reasonably shady. I probably was being shady too, though, absolutely we've been shady shady, yes, And we were just you know, observing the people in the party, you know, making little comments about what was going on, yes, and having a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it probably took a minute really for you to realize, oh, you're the girl from Baltimore that everyone thinks.
Speaker 1: Yes, my cousins. Right. It did take a minute, but once I figured it out, I was like cool, Like, at least it was somebody that I thought was cool as opposed to an asshole, right, And.
Speaker 2: You know, it's kind of weird. It's like, even though you didn't know me, just figuring out that there was some sort of connection and you knew people that knew me, it was like, okay, all right, she's really cool. And then I realized that she was the woman on the side of the metro bus that I would see.
Speaker 1: I hate robbing right now, Okay, I hate robbing because once upon a time I was on metro buses as a billboard. Not because I'm wanted for like a crime or something.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, no, you weren't on the bus for a crime, but you were like laying on top of your then husband Jamal, like come to our church.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, they were very cute. It was it was very cute.
Speaker 2: And I was like, look, are you hated the picture? I need I have to find a picture of these busses. I mean I would literally be like, oh, who's that woman on the side of the bus.
Speaker 1: She's pretty, Like who are they Robin is hating on my task. Yes she is.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not like it was. So we were like instantly, I was like, oh, that's the woman outside of the bus and Jazelle was like, oh that's the woman that everyone thinks it's my cousin. Yes, and we were, you know, both silly, goofy, having fun, laughing, instantly hit it off.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And then years later we got to call about a show called The Row Housewives Potomac and we've rocked that out for I don't know, several seasons. So it helps solidify I mean, we were already besties before then, but it really helped with our relationship. And we've had each other's back on the show. They've been trying to test apart, but we have had each other's back, and I like, totally appreciate that. By the way, I appreciate that. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean that's what real friends too.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So can we talk about their Housewives of Potoma? Yes, how we got here so Jizelle will tell you. So. When they first started casting for a show for Bravo, you know, they say, oh, they're looking for an ensemble cast of women in the in the DC area, and Jezelle had already been talking to a casting director, and Sureisa had already been talking to the same casting director. And they said, well, call Robin because you know, she's our friend. She'd be great. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And I want to say I was already in. They liked me.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, she was already in. So the casting director calls and so they're both like, Rob when you talk to the casting director, I'm like, for what, Like, I mean, I don't got nothing going on. I was going through like I was. My life was in shambles. I will be honest about that. You know. Financially we were in a bad my relationship was in a bad place, all that type of stuff. I think I was divorced by the Yeah, I was, Yes, you were definitely divorced. So I was like, I'll talk to him, but whatever. I talked to him, and my first lead, you know, I'm like, not in my opinion, not auditioning for a show. I'm having a conversation. So my first you know line with him, he was like, you know, oh, tell me about yourself. I was like, well, I don't live that life.
Speaker 1: That's bad. I should have prepped Robin and I did.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'll be honest, I'm not living that life. And so he called either Gazelle or the reason was like, I hate her.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm going to give the story how it really happened. So I was in, I was good to go, and they were like, do you have any friends and I was like, yes, Robin, and you're gonna call her and she's gonna be amazing. And so they called this person that I had hyped up like I was a hype woman. I was like, she's amazing, and then Robin is on the phone like not giving a shit. So the guy immediately called me back and was like I hate her and she's out, and I was like, oh, hell no, call her back, call her back, call her back. So it took Robin a minute to be nice to casting and so finally, you know, they obviously loved her in the rest of.
Speaker 2: The rest is history. Yeah, every day, I'm still like, how did I get on this show?
Speaker 1: Because I told him called Robin back, right.
Speaker 2: But it's been fun. It's been a journey, and most of you who watch the show have seen our relationship, and you know, I think the name of our podcast reasonably shady, is it? You probably think it fits us?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, So how do we get to this podcast?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: We got to talk about the pandemn demic, okay, because that is what it is. And like I think, during the beginning of the pandemic, we decided for whatever reason to have an Instagram Live together because we were bored. Yes, shitless, we were bored.
Speaker 2: We missed each other, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so we did that.
Speaker 2: And we don't get on Instagram a lot, like we're not, you know, addicted to social media. So that was kind of like the first time in a really long time we had gotten on Instagram Live together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you even have lashes at that point? Did you have some lashes on it? Because I think I looked real crazy.
Speaker 2: You might have had a turbine on my head or something.
Speaker 1: You had a term. I have like my hair like on a ponytail top of my head.
Speaker 2: I have lashes. The pandemic hit, okay, can we talk about like the pandemic hit? And I was like, oh, yes, I mean I was like kind of loving it at first because I was like, oh, I don't have to get my hair done, I don't have to get my lashes done. I don't have to put on clothes. I don't have to And.
Speaker 1: That's a dream for Robin. For everyone to know, that is Robin's dream in life, to never have to do any of those things anything anything.
Speaker 2: I didn't have to get my nails done. I let my nails fall off. I still haven't put them back.
Speaker 1: On, right.
Speaker 2: What else.
Speaker 1: You had on? Sweatpants every day?
Speaker 2: Pants? Every day? I was drinking wine at ten am and eating chocolate cake at four am.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, I remember Robit Cobby and she was like, just hell, oh my god. It was midnight and I had I just polished off an ice cream bar. I can't do it anymore. And I was like, back away from the refrigerator, yeack away.
Speaker 2: It was hard. I gained like a good fourteen pounds during the pandemic. Yeah, during that, like that first two months of the pandemic, I gained fourteen pounds for sure. And then a light switch went off and I was like, I hate food. I don't want to Yes, I was like, I don't want to eat, I don't want anything. So now can like and this has been going on till this day. I've only had a bar. It's everyone, It's eight thirty at night PM and I've had one bar, like a protein bar.
Speaker 1: Okay, but rob when we can eat. I mean we didn't have to go that far, I know.
Speaker 2: But something happened. I mean I still eat, but it's like I'm not hungry.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I went from eating all day, right all night, staying up until like four in the morning and just pigging out to not eating, Like so.
Speaker 1: You're like a bear and hibernation. Yes you have stored up fat and then yes, yeah, but right so I decided, Like for me, it was kind of similar, like one day I woke up and I was like, I'm not cooking anymore. And I have children, and I was like, I don't care if they starve because there's gonna be no food being cooked up in this home. My god, I'm done.
Speaker 2: Yes, because at first we were cooking all day, three times a day. Now I am proud to say I am like a Platinum plus tier member of Chick fil A, Like I mean.
Speaker 1: I can't, I can't because I'm right behind you.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ever, the highest reward level is I'm that I redeem my rewards for free cookies for a free chicken sandwich, Like.
Speaker 1: It's just on an app. I gotta get on the app. What I'm not on the app? You're not on the What am I missing?
Speaker 2: You're missing free chicken sandwich and freeze nuggets and free okie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm doing it now, I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm getting on a scott damn app. All right, you are they.
Speaker 2: Delivering to you?
Speaker 1: So what I do is I drive up to the mall where the Chick fil a is, I give my kids my card and I sit in the car and they go in there and get the food and then come out. So I need to get a app.
Speaker 2: What I do is I opened the app and I hit repeat last Order and you know, sin and like, yes the app. I want.
Speaker 1: I want my rewards. I have already told people I am the cheapest richest woman you will meet. Okay, I want my goddamn rewards. Okay, all right, will we got sidetracked, Robin, So.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but I feel like all of that, like it's hard to talk about a pandemic and not talk about all the shit that we want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. And it was literally it was a lot because Robin, you and I were sending each other menus. I mean not menus. We were sending each other recipes of different food that we could cook, and none of it was like fat free. None of it was like the skinny portion. This was all like food food looking good, yes, yes, with BUTTA. So that had to stop. That stopped. That was horrible. But I feel like, you know, clearly we're coming out of the pandemic and I feel better about my life.
Speaker 2: Oh, me too, absolutely, And spring is sprung. Yes, that always helps. So it was a really rough patch for me just this past like you know, fall, winter, and now that spring is here, it's like, okay, spring is here. We have a vaccine, Yes, we have you know, I think we're we've just become more accustomed to life as it is. Although I feel like we are getting better and I'm feeling better about life. I am.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling really good. And you know, we're in the state of Maryland, and the State of Maryland is doing great with their numbers, and that's making me feel like, you know, there's there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Speaker 2: It is, absolutely but I'm still very cautious. Yes, you know, I'm not out and about. I'm not you know, trying to be a big gatherings. I'm not you know, when.
Speaker 1: I'm my god, do you see all these spring breakers spring Breakers have lost their damn mine?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It is something called peachry dish of germs and it makes me my stomach cart.
Speaker 2: It's like they just like release them from jail and they just like, but you know what, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna throw shade because when I get into a club, I'm acting like I'm twenty five. Yes, I can't wait until that I'm dropping like it's high. I mean right, and I don't want to go to the club. But when that time, I don't want to go, but I'm going, Yes, yes, we're gonna have a good old time. So my I will say, my outlet has been and we still have to get back to this how this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're getting there. We're getting there, young us. This is reasonably shady. Bear with us.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is why we're here with you because we have so much to talk about, and we go we you know, we get on the sidetracked and come right back. But my outlet has been basketball tournaments. M So we have you know, wanna and I or I have a youth basketball team that Wan coaches.
Speaker 1: Wan is her husband fiance, yes, husband.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so our son Corey plays on the team.
Speaker 1: Robin is the is a boy mom. I'm a girl mom.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: I know, yes, so boy mom all day.
Speaker 2: So we have been traveling every other weekend to play in basketball tournaments. The kids playing mass like. It's all very socially distanced all that, but in the nighttime the parents turn all the way up. I mean, we're literally.
Speaker 1: Basketball parent turnout.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, wow. We are literally at the games with hangovers.
Speaker 1: Because that's a game.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are turning up. And literally one weekend my son was telling me stuff that I said and I did and I don't remember. So yes, those have been my releases.
Speaker 1: That's called bad mom, just in case y'all don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, but MoMA gotta be happy.
Speaker 1: Mommy gotta be happy.
Speaker 2: We got to be happy. So anyway, that's you know, No, I haven't been in the club, but we have created our own little club. In the residence in Okay or.
Speaker 1: Not to turn up into residence in is a turnout.
Speaker 2: The Wyndham Garden, This.
Speaker 1: Is a turnout.
Speaker 2: We get the ball, we get the conference.
Speaker 1: Are you drinking dog? Twenty twenty. What is at the bar? Tell me what's at the ball?
Speaker 2: We have a stock bar. We have to kill it.
Speaker 1: We got what kind of tequila? Because there's different kinds stuff cosamikos. Okay, this is a horrible turnout. Okay, great goose.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's my drink anyway. So okay, back to where we were talking about.
Speaker 1: That's such been your outlet for the pandemic.
Speaker 2: That has been my outlet over the past few months. Like at first, I was very like, I'm not even a house. I'm not going anywhere. And now it's like, okay, these kids need to get on the basketball court and I need to leave the house. Okay, that is I like an outlet.
Speaker 1: Getting back to how we are here at this podcast, people robbing went on a rant. We like we said, we we did an Instagram live together. We did want our too, maybe just one I can't remember. And the feedback that we were getting or the comments were that, oh, you know, Jesselle Robin, y'all should have a green eye bandage, y'all should have a podcast, right, And I think.
Speaker 2: It's because when we're talking to one another, the people who are listening or watching they feel like they're like our girlfriends too, or our friends too, Like they're right there in the room with us, and they're like, you know, they're getting it. They're keicky in with us, Like we're not just like talking, you know, just about the show, and like we're literally just laughing, joking, having fun. And I think people people really responded to that, like they were messaging me, yes, messaging both of us, like, you guys need a podcast. You guys need a podcast, right, And so I Robin told me I put it OUTGA one day, Yeah, Robin called me and said, she said, you know, people were giving that kind of feedback.
Speaker 1: I put it out into the universe. In other words, I call my manager and I told her to make it happen. And here we are today. We are on Iehead, we are on the Black Effect platform. Thank you Black Effect. We love y'all. And you know, I feel like this is a great way, speaking of outlets of us to like share our stories. We've been through personally a lot. You know, I'm divorced, I got three kids. Robin is not really divorced, kind of not really. She's okay, fine, she's married, she has two kids, and we're both entrepreneurs. We both believe in success. We try to get our hustle on. We try to teach our kids to be the best people that they can be. And I feel like, you know, there's a lot of people out there that are striving for greatness. So that is what we are going to try to bring you all week by week. But first, because we are reasonably shady, we'd like to give y'all individually our reasonably shady moment of the week. Robin, would you like to go first?
Speaker 2: Okay? I will go first. So today I had an appointment to get corn rows.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain that. Because it's that different from loose locks, lemon locks. I need an explation because I don't know nothing about these braids.
Speaker 2: Well me neither. That's the problem. So you know, I don't know a whole munch about hair. I just typically I go to my hairstyles and I say, do my hair, thank you. So I don't really know the terminology for corn rows or braids or whatever it is. So I just told the girl I want corn roads. I'm going on a trip I don't want to do with my hair. I want some corn roads. And she's like, well, what stout. Do you want? I was like, oh my lord, what do you mean? So I was like, just I said, just do something cool, right, I'm thinking because I've gotten corn roads before. And it literally took like less than two hours to do. And I had all these appointments, you know, I had somewhere to be Okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, call my house to do this podcast podcast.
Speaker 2: Ye. Yes. So I was like, okay, my appointments at two, I'll be out by the latest. I can go home and you know, eat something for her, you know, see my kids, make sure they're cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nah. Five and a half hours later, right, I walk out. First of all, I had to I texted you out probably like five times. Oh I'm running late. Oh I'm even later. Oh I'm even later, Like I literally and it's so crazy. It's like I thought she was almost done, but she wasn't. It was like, okay, there was like a patch of hair and I was like, okay, that's the last one. And it was like oh okay, no, now it's the last one.
Speaker 1: And then it was like, so, oh, here is reasonably shady you to me because you late or the lady that did your head to you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say me because I did not tell her I was on a time constraint, okay, you know, like and it's like once she started doing her thing, it's too late. You know. I couldn't be like, wait, whoa wall, wait a minute, this feels like it's taking a little bit longer, you know, when I got like half my hair. So they're very cute.
Speaker 1: By the way, Robin looks really cute. For those of you all cannot see us, she looks very very cute, and she's a very pretty woman. And that's why we love her. Even though she was two hours late.
Speaker 2: No, I was two. It's really more like.
Speaker 1: Three yeah, no, no three late latest bock. There we go. There we are just late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I am the shady person because.
Speaker 1: You're okay, all right. So, and just to know us is to know that Justzelle's always on time. I live by that. I don't know where that came from in my life. I'm a virgo. Yes, I'm always on time, and Robin's always late. So guys, if you all don't get an episode from us, it's because Robin didn't show up. She was late.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, then no, just call a guest, okay, or I'll just do it myself.
Speaker 1: Oh no, So okay, anyway, all right, so my good thing is.
Speaker 2: Like you love me? Yes, It's so crazy. I was like when I was texting her, I was like, I'm running late. I was like, oh shit, I don't know what she's gonna says, like okay.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, what was I gonna say? Okay? Oh god?
Speaker 2: Actually, And honestly, we were supposed to do this at ten am. Yes. And I called her last night, yes, after I got home from a basketball tournament, and I was like, I think that's a little too soon and we're gonna need a little more time because I get my lashes done like I got I have.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, I'm the book of excuses. Okay, people bear with me. Pray for me, y'all. Pray for me, yes, yes, pray for me in these streets anyway. Okay. So my reasonably shady moment is, you know, I have met a couple of new ladies lately, and one of them I reached out to because I felt like, you know, she could be a cool girlfriend and we could kind of keep key together or whatever. And I sent her a little text message and I was like, Hey, why don't we hang out for drinks? Right? And she responds back and says, mmmm, well, you're gonna need to go on my assistant and have you penciled into my schedule?
Speaker 2: Who does that?
Speaker 1: Now? That's not reasonably, that's just shady. That's shady shady. Yes, that's all the way whack shady. That's right. Yeah, but but it falls under this is what happened to me in my week, and I just want to share that with y'all.
Speaker 2: So that should be like, okay, well kick rocks and let's keep it moving.
Speaker 1: Kick rocks, keep it moving because I have friends that I can have drinks with, right, I don't need any new friends. Yeah, and that what Drake said, I don't know no new friends. That's Drake or who said that? Was that little baby or dub baby. I can't tell them apart it was Drake. Okay, no new friends, all right? Anyway, moving on, So we would like to share some hour or I would like robbing to be honest, because I've known Robin for a while, so I know her past, right, and we're seasoned women, right, we've come a long way, a little more seasoned than me. Okay, So anyway, and I feel like there's a big difference between like who we were as children growing up. And I can identify with this because kids are teenagers now, they a little bit of not not off the chain, but you know, they do things that make me wonder, how will you grow up and what will you be? Right? That's scary, It's extremely scary. So I would like for us to give a little tidbit into our past, robin so people can really understand us.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm happy to share my past. Okay, so you know, and I think this is just great, This is just we're all going to be friends here. Hopefully you all will be tuning in for the podcast, you know every week, yes, every episode, and so you're going to get to know more and more and more about us. So where what better place than to start with our childhood or you know, how we became who we are today. So I grew up with two professional parents. My father is a dentist. My mother was a professor at Morgan State University and then also an entrepreneur. We lived a very upper middle class, bougie black people life. And when I say bougie, I mean we were in you know, Jack and jail my mother is in a sorority, my father's in a fraternity. You know, I am in a sorority as well. I guess we should just name. I mean, I don't, I don't have to protect the name. So my mother is a Delta, my father is a Kappa, and you know, they both went to HBCUs. They're very like social in the city of Baltimore, very well known. It just you know, because Baltimore is a small town and you know, years ago wasn't that many professional black people in the city of Baltimore. There weren't that many black dentists in Baltimore. Just whatever it is. So because of that, my parents were very I don't want to call them bougie though, because they're like they were like laid back bougie people, like down to earth boogie people.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree with that.
Speaker 2: And you know, we're all in the social organizations that are more exclusive and hard to get into. So that was kind of the life that I lived. I went to a private school, a very prestigious and expensive private school from ninth through twelve, and you know, I had a car as soon as I turned sixteen, like all that stuff. Lived a good life and oh mm hmm. I was so smart that by the age of three I was reading and so they put me in school a year early. Okay, So I was like my parents' golden child because I was so smart and I was so well behaved, and I was and my brother was a terror. My brother's three years older than me, and my brother was like the worst child ever. Yes, I said that he was. You could tell him.
Speaker 1: I said that too.
Speaker 2: He was the worst, Like he was a nightmare. He was wild. I think, like you know, they I don't know. He just there was just so many issues with my brother that when I came along, my parents were like especially my mom, she was like, oh my God, thank you. I think God was like, you need a break because that son of yours is a terror. So I was the perfect child.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know this is going downhill.
Speaker 4: So yes, Somewhere along the way I met some people who weren't the perfect children, and I succumed a peer pressure in like seventh grade.
Speaker 1: And what happened robbing in seventh grade.
Speaker 2: In seventh grade, I was smoking cigarettes and running the streets, like running up and down the you know, the literal streets of my.
Speaker 1: Neighborhood and smoking cigarettes in seventh grade, so you would chain smoking like an old lady.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we were like hiding behind the bushes smoking cigarettes. Then we would go and like break the Mercedes emblems off of people's way ladies cars.
Speaker 1: You are a vandal.
Speaker 2: You were randomize, yes, So I'm like, I'm sorry if you noticed one day that your Mercedes emblem was gone from the hood of your car. It was me what I was taking a can of soda. This is like a federal offense.
Speaker 1: I think the Statue of Limitations statue. Yeah, it's over, okay.
Speaker 2: I was taking a can of soda and pouring it in the mailbox, like blue mailbox that you like put your mail in, Like people like, oh I gotta pay my bills, let me drop it in this blue mailbox. So you are and take a can of soda and pour it in the mailbox.
Speaker 1: So people have pepsi mail cold mail because of Robbins. This is horrible. I thought I was bad. No, you take the cake, honey.
Speaker 2: So that was seventh grade. So then ain't God forbid?
Speaker 1: You get the eighth grass no better?
Speaker 2: And all the while my parents think I'm perfect.
Speaker 1: Oh they had they were none the wiser. They were none the wiser, Like, how did they not smell that cigarette smoke on me? Maybe they were in denial, gladys girl, you couldn't smell robins.
Speaker 2: Do you know? Like I'm to this day, I'm like, I don't want to talk about this, and my brother brings up this shit and I'm can we curse here? Yeah?
Speaker 1: She'd we can cursey it?
Speaker 2: Okay, m hm, because I have a potty mouth. My brother bring this stuff up as if it's like the funniest thing on earth, and I'm like, no, don't talk about it. So anyway, okay, okay, eighth grade, I am drinking mad dog what twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: In eighth grade and you didn't even get to high school yet? No, no, I didn't get to high school yet. So you was a cigarette drunk and I was smoking weed and you were smoking with Robbing Dixon in eighth grade. Eighth grade, Like, that's really really young, Like because eighth grade you're what fourth to twelve, you're thirteen.
Speaker 2: You I'm a year younger than everyone else.
Speaker 1: So you're twelve.
Speaker 2: I started school a year early.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if my children were right now, because you know, the twins or fourteen if they were smoking weed, I would be like livid.
Speaker 2: I would beat their ass for you. Yes, okay, Like, and my and my son Corey just turned thirteen yesterday, and I'm not imagine him being around anyone doing that.
Speaker 1: So do I need to keep you away from my kids?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Are you a bad influence? Robin?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No. The story there's like a there's a is there a light at the end of the time?
Speaker 2: A light at the end? Where's the light it's coming? I mean, it gets a little bad, and then it gets when.
Speaker 1: When was sex involved?
Speaker 2: Ninth grade?
Speaker 1: Robin Dixon cannot come around my kids. I'm here to tell y'all she's got some bad values.
Speaker 3: But all the.
Speaker 2: While, I'm like, Okay, I know I'm doing I'm being really bad, and I hope I don't get in trouble. I hope my parents don't find out. I don't know how the fuck I got away with this stuff. I just don't neither do I. So ninth grade came, and this is where the turning point happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, because at this point you're like, uh, what do you call it? A delinquent? You're a juvenile delinquent?
Speaker 2: Right? I could have been in Julie. Okay, So, and this is all because I had a friend that was my best friend, and she didn't have supervision like her parents are buried lean, but you did. And her parents smoked cigarettes too, so it's like if we were smoking in the basement, they weren't going to be able to even tell, right. So I spent a lot of time in her house and got into all types of trouble. So ninth grade something a light bulb went off in my father's head.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jesus, because you've been running around town killing people's Mercedes fins, Jesus.
Speaker 2: And I was at my friend's house and we were running the neighborhood somehow, I'm trying to remember the story. Oh, there was a guy I was talking to and he was four years older than me.
Speaker 1: Of course he was.
Speaker 2: He was probably because of course the fourteen year old boys weren't you know, they weren't doing it?
Speaker 1: And was this were you even of age? No, you were not, and he was. This was called rape, it sure was right. Clearly, you can never talk to my kids again.
Speaker 2: I can speak from experience. Okay, what not to do? I am the example of what not to do. But what happened was so fourteen, hanging out with my friend and her boyfriend who and they had been like having sex for two years, you know. And then and then this guy that was a senior in high school, and we drank mad Dog, we smoked weed, and all I remember is I was in the back of the car getting laid.
Speaker 1: Getting what's laid me? You were having sex? Yeah, okay, I'm sorry, Okay, yes, okay. And then what happened, Yes, this is getting good.
Speaker 2: So that happened, and then something, it's something in my father's head, like a light bulb went off, and he was like he started looking for me, like I was at my friend's house, and he literally drove to their house and was like, where's Robin, Like something's not right?
Speaker 1: Oh? How long did it take for your father figure out? How much are right? Three years?
Speaker 2: No, probably three years, I guess, So yeah, I think he always I think it was one of those where like they knew that my friend probably wasn't the best influence, but I would always be like, but that's my friend.
Speaker 1: I want to go to her house, right please?
Speaker 2: And we spent like all like a lot of time together. She was Jewish, I can recite Hebrew prayers I've been you know what I mean. It was just like I spent that much time that I was at like Rashashana dinner with her and all that type of stuff. So but something my parents would always try to like, no, we don't want you to go over there, because I think they knew that it just we were not supervised, right, So for whatever reason, that night he drove over there, came and got me, and I'm drunk as a skunk, and literally it was like for me, that was like the worst thing imaginable for me, for my parents to see that I was drunk like that, right, and to disappoint them like that that I literally didn't drink again, like you know what I mean, like after that experience, right, Well, I don't say I didn't drink again because clearly because you were drunk last week with me, moms, Okay, I won't say again. I probably didn't pick back like by partying up until like senior year in high school, Okay, but I pull I wasn't. I stopped hanging out with my friend great and do you know by senior year in high school, she was addicted to heroin. Mm hmmm, like she had to go scary.
Speaker 1: Who you telling?
Speaker 2: I mean, when I think about it, I'm like, oh my god, that could have been me. Even though I felt like I was a little I have, like, you know, more willpower than that I had, Like I was always one. Like you know, when when you were in like drug did you have dair class? What's it called dare? Yes? Okay, when I was in dair class and they showed you the pictures.
Speaker 1: When they tried to scare you, well it scared me great, right, So I didn't think I was going to go that far.
Speaker 2: But the fact that my friend that I hung out with every weekend was addicted to heroin by the time she was in twelfth grade, Like, I just think about, like what could have been.
Speaker 1: So clearly we love your father because he got you on the street and narrow. He saved me, He saved you. But back then, back then, you weren't. You were not thinking about your future and what you were going to do and who you were going to be.
Speaker 2: No, who's doing that in ninth grade?
Speaker 1: Well my children do that?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yes, Oh they're gonna be okay. Oh they are like ahead of the curve, they are, Yes, Okay, that's amazing, because no, I'll be honest, I'm forty one.
Speaker 2: I still don't know what I want to be.
Speaker 1: And that we're gonna save for another episode of People. Robin's forty one and she has no clue what she wants to do with her life. Yes, that's because I feel like that's a lot of people and people can relate to that.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, yes, absolutely. I mean I just feel like, yes, how many times in college like you. I mean, I feel like all of my friends in college are like I don't know what I gonna do unless you're that one friend that's like I'm going to be a doctor.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, good for you, bitch, I'm so.
Speaker 2: Happy that you figured that out.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Yeah, so that story, that experience like probably saved my life. Yeah you know what I mean, It probably really saved me from just being like just totally jacked up and seeing my parents so disappointed, like literally scared me to the point where I was like, Okay, I don't want to do that again. Great, And you know, I still was a good student, Like you know, I finished off, was a good student. I was. I went to college, yeah, you know, graduated all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: You met wan, you had some kids, Yes, and you met a friend named Joseelle Boo. We're here today, so just out. Yes, Well, mine is like Cinderella in comparison New Yors. Mine is very PG rated. I was not vandalizing any cars in the streets. I think I had a wild moment. Let me see, probably high school going into college, and I remember like one of the nights I was like, I can't do this anymore. I was like, I was turned so in college. I happened to turn twenty one. Being in college twenty one is a very big difference from Robins fourteen years old. Okay for the record, but anyway, and I was enjoying myself, living my life and doing my thing. I'm in college and the guys I was hanging out with they was like, Youselle, you turning twenty one. You have to take twenty one shots h And I was like, okay, that sounds good to make. It's like so I was down. I was like ready for the challenge. And I don't know where in the twenty one I literally have no idea about the rest of the night, but I can promise you I tried to get there because it was a challenge and I.
Speaker 2: Wanted our lucky your life.
Speaker 1: I know, I wanted to I wanted to beat the challenge. And I remember saying, I don't think I'm gonna make it y'all. Probably around shot ten, I was like, I don't think I'm gonna make it y'all.
Speaker 2: Some cheap ass liquor too.
Speaker 1: It was probably like a mad dog. Oh my god, but it was like shots So anyway, Oh.
Speaker 2: I don't want to cut you off. Go ahead, but you said mad dog. So when my parents when when I got caught being pissy drug and my parents were like, what were you thinking? Why are you doing? I was like, well, it says that it's wine, and I didn't think that wine was bad.
Speaker 1: So she's just lying on top of line, on top of line.
Speaker 2: Try and then oh my god, this is like the blink the victim. I was trying to victimize myself. So then they're all like mad at me, and my brother's like, oh that's me. I was like, I want to kill myself. I've got to kill myself. That was like to get them to like leave back off, Yeah, leave me alone. I'm going to kill myself. So yeah, so at least you.
Speaker 1: Were a smart juvenile to language.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, So back to a little bit of a backstory. I am the youngest of three kids, so by the time I was coming up, and we're all kind of like eighteen months apart. So by time I got like, you know, in my high school years or whatever, my parents, like I think, were tired and they didn't feel like dealing with me, and they didn't care what I did. So I did get away with a lot, you know, maybe sneaking out the house couple of times, things like that, but no, nothing like too traumatic. But yes, when I was trying to take my twenty one shots on my twenty first birthday, I realize I can't do this. No, and I feel crazy. And I felt crazy for like weeks, like I felt sick, I felt like delirious. I felt like God was trying to tell me something. I don't know what he was trying to tell me, but he was just like, bitch, you don't need to be drinking all this, Like that was what I was getting from God.
Speaker 2: You are lucky you are alive. Yeah, I mean cause and not like I guess to be serious now, like we do hear stories of people in college, Yeah, who die from alcohol overdose.
Speaker 1: Right, But whoever was giving me the challenge? I know who they are to this day. Why did y'all.
Speaker 2: Do that to me?
Speaker 1: Like, right, that wasn't nice, That wasn't a good challenge.
Speaker 2: That was the worst, and how they feel their daughter? Right?
Speaker 1: And I was so crazy. I just was like, okay, I'll do it right. Who agrees to this?
Speaker 2: Right? Okay, so stupid Carloge students?
Speaker 1: Right? And then you know, after I graduated from college, and I still I didn't know what I wanted to do either. I didn't know you know, where I wanted to land. I do know that I did want to like plan things. I want to be like an event planner, wedding plan or something like that. And I did do that for a little while for the NAACP where I met Jamal got married.
Speaker 2: So I didn't planning background as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, and Mayor Royn got you know, things and comings. But never in a million years if somebody said you're going to be in a reality television show and you're going to be a housewife and you're gonna be on Bravo, I would be like hell no, not only no, but I don't want.
Speaker 2: To do that, right. It wasn't a desire and not some people want to be on TV.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I had no desire. I was living my life and enjoying myself prior to our casting director calling me and saying this is what you're gonna do? Right and then and then I actually talked to When you and I talked about it, you were like to say, you we only live once, Like why not? And where where? Why not? And who knows if we'll make it past season one? Right? We on season six?
Speaker 2: I didn't eve think season one was going to make the light of day.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're on season three, just for the for the for the people in the in the cheap seats in the back were on season three and Robin's like, are we still on this show?
Speaker 2: Right? Is this is this real?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, Robin is ceasing three? Yes. Robin didn't get it for a very long time that we were on TV. Like she'd be like confused, Like we'd be walking down the street, people screaming our name. She's like, who are they talking to? They talking to us, Robin, We're on TV.
Speaker 2: I actually experienced that this past weekend at a basketball tournament. Yeah, Like there's this lady like waving crazy and I'm like looking behind me, I'm like what she oh she sees someone, Oh you're waving at me. Hi.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will never forget. And actually this was actually season one, so it was a little weird. So this could this could be believable. I mean, you could, you know, not be this naive. We were in Bethany Beach and because we went there for Ashley's that was our trip. That was our trip Bethany and they got win that a reality show was filming and Bethany Beach, so we were like, i think going to the boardwalk or whatever, and it was a mob of people just like waiting for us to get off the bus. And Robin was like, holy shit, who are those people? Why are they here? What are they doing here? It's like robbing they're here for us And she was like what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean. I'm like no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I was like, yes, they see camera crews and they're running now. At the time, they.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew that Beyonce was getting off the bus though, and Beyonce did.
Speaker 1: It was me and you, I'm just saying, but anyway, so we get off the bus, and they didn't know who we were. But like after that, it's like you know it is. This ride has been a blessing, I'll say for myself, and I think I can speak both for the both of us. You know, it's ups and downs, there's highs and lows, but we have been able to showcase things that we do love and our family. I'm proud of my family. I'm proud of the mom that I am, and I feel like that is a blessing. And if anybody can, especially your story, Robin, because you're so relatable, if anybody can learn from our lives, I think the whole thing is worth it.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely. One of the biggest blessings for me is when I receive feedback and comments from people who are like, you have helped me. Yeah, you know you, I've you know, I'm not in a good place, but I watch the show and either it's for comic relief or it's because they look at our stories and say, whoa I can relate to that. I love how you overcame. Thank you for sharing. And so for me, the best part is just affecting other people's lives that I don't even know.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you it's not easy. No, it's not easy. No, I don't recommend reality television for anybody who does not have thick skin. When I say thick skin, like elephant skin.
Speaker 2: Right right. Fortunately, and that's the thing about both of us. Yeah, we don't care like you know, all of the scrutiny we received. I mean, sometimes it is a little jarring when we can receive so much negativity, But we know who we are, and we have the people in our lives that are important to us, and we know that love us, and they're not going to change for us, and we're not going to change for them. So fortunately, I've been able to maintain friendships with all of my friends that I've been friends with before the show, and they don't give a damn about the show, you know what I mean. And so I can have good girl time with my friends and not talk about the show and just feel like myself. And so, yes, it's stressful. It's hard. Filming is hard, Watching the show is hard. The you know, scrutiny is hard. But overall, the blessing has been just like way more than the negativity.
Speaker 1: Right right, So people, we're about to wrap up this first episode that was so fat. I know, but we have a couple takes from the episode. Okay, so take number one for me is Robin Muss. You've not delinquent. But she has come so far people, Okay, she has. I mean, listen, she didn't come from vandalizing Mercedes Benz to being an owner of Embellished and her hats are selling I have on one right now. Her hats are selling like hot cakes, honey cakes. So that's amazing. Do you have a take from this show?
Speaker 2: I do. I would say thank God that Giselle did not overdose and she's here because won do it? Yes, because we wouldn't be here. We would not be on season six of The Real Housewives of Potoma.
Speaker 1: We would not. We would not. And you know what, more importantly, like the power of friendship, Like I'm so happy that we're friends and we have a sisterhood that is.
Speaker 2: Unbreakable, absolutely absolutely, yeah, And that is so valuable. And when you have that friendship, everyone just nurture it. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, Now, at the end of every episode, guys, we're going to be giving you our reasonable person of the day or the week or the year, and our shady person of the day, the week, or the year. So who's reasonable these days?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is our first podcast, ye, and we just have to pay homage homage homage. Both the age is silent, right, it's it's hama homage homage. I promise I went to private school. Yeah, we have to just give doctor Fauci. Yes, yes, yes, yes, pribes. I don't care if you believe the pandemic is a hoax. We have been through hell and doctor Fauci has remained steady, steadfast, factual yep. And I mean, for the most part, it's crazy, like they would say, like, oh, I predict that in three months the numbers are going to skyrocket, and we're sitting there like, oh whatever, And then come three months and the number of skyrocket. So like I feel like everything that they said would happen happens.
Speaker 1: Yes, So he's a reasonable person. He is our reasonable person.
Speaker 2: And we got to give it up to our new president, Joe Biden, just for the sake of thank you for being here. Yes, thank you. One.
Speaker 1: If I find myself at this point in a reasonable way, not having to stalk CNN anymore to find out the bad news, I can actually go to bed feeling kind of safe and secure. About the world.
Speaker 2: I knew that life was crazy when I would literally be listening to CNN in my car. Yeah, Like I would be driving and turn the scene in and it was like almost like comforting to hear those voices that I've been listening to, like all day, all night. Yeah. And now I don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean you can if you want to, but I feel like I don't want to start the rating.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, don't if y'all ratings go down. It's not our fault. No, it's not our fault. Yes. So it's because the world is a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we're feeling a little bit more secure about our leadership. And then now we have our shady person of the year and ooh, she been shady, shady, shady, shady hoo, this thing been shady. And I don't even like to say her name because I just want her to go away, but that she needs to go sister girl, COVID girl, you are shady. Coronavirus better known as coronavirus, Miss coronavirus. You so shady. Ooh you shady, and I'm a need for you to leave, Okay, So get your shady tail up. Out of here. We are done with you.
Speaker 2: She has outworn her welcome, Yes she has, she's never welcome never, no no.
Speaker 1: So we've had we've had enough of you. We're done. And I think our reasonably shady combination is a good one because I think Bauci and Biden can get rid of are shady. Oh, absolutely, miss correct.
Speaker 2: We are going to be back to normal one day one day.
Speaker 1: Soon, one day soon, one day soon. So I think I think that's it for today. That's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we should tell people thank you number one for listening to us. Yes, and I hope you continue to listen to us because we have a whole lot of exciting topics to talk about. Yes, you can expect to hear, you know, just topics about relationships and business and friendships and beauty and you know, current events we're going to tackle. Yes, And so I'm sorry, and I mean, and it's going to be fun and funny and you're going to feel like you're talking to your girlfriends. Oh. And then you know, at some point we're going to have advice segments, so if you have some, if you need your advice from me or Geselle, I mean, I don't know who you want advice from me, we'll both give it to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but next our next podcast, we believe it's going to be about breaking up or making up, all about relationships and that animal that we call love. So you don't want to miss that. Yes, So until then, holla back Reasonably Shady.
Speaker 2: Which one are you going to be this week?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be shady.
Speaker 2: I will continue to be reasonable. My bye people. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Reasonably Shady is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows
Speaker 1: And you can connect with us on social media at Robin Dixon, ten, Giselle Bryant, and Reasonably Shady