Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This he's Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Screaming live from the Dallas Cowboys World Tours.
Speaker 4: At the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 6: Six seconds dot tisi any paint touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 7: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC Studios.
Speaker 4: Welcome in, everybody.
Speaker 7: We've got the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock today. Patrick Nocy Walker is back in the building. Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back with his back brace. That's Chris Beam in the back as always, were back in business.
Speaker 4: Some Kyle Yeoman's what's up?
Speaker 8: Kyle?
Speaker 4: What's up? Gentlemen? Oh, it's always good to have the full crew here.
Speaker 1: It is you guys cooked yesterday? Thanks cooked yesterday.
Speaker 4: We missed you.
Speaker 9: We didn't have a show yesterday.
Speaker 1: You're a liar. We had a microwave yesterday. It was today. We have a whole weven. Oh that's right. You know why? Why what is today called? Kyle?
Speaker 7: It is talking today.
Speaker 10: That means get out your cellular devices and get on the line, shoot us a call.
Speaker 1: We want to talk to you people. It's been too long.
Speaker 4: It has been a long time.
Speaker 7: I was just saying when Josh yesterday on the show, we had not rehearsed, he was like, oh, what's the phone number to call?
Speaker 4: And I was like eighty eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 7: And I remember being surprised at myself that I was able to It's impressive, make it happen.
Speaker 1: But it actually is eight.
Speaker 9: And eight t lk cbys.
Speaker 11: There you go, the only phone number named after a podcast on this in this entire building.
Speaker 9: And guess what it's talking cowboy.
Speaker 1: It's almost like this is the best podcast in the buildings.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Almost, actually you do know me almost. It's arguable. I didn't mean argue.
Speaker 7: It is arguable, Patrick, who's arguing everyone?
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how it all goes.
Speaker 9: Why can't we have peace?
Speaker 10: Do you think that there's another podcast on this platform that collectively watches film collective collectively collectively not saying individuals, I'm saying collectively, Yes, you think there's another another podcast that can compete with us on that level.
Speaker 11: On any compete is it's a different It's a spectrum, right, But I'm saying I think there are a lot of podcasts that watch film on this, and as a as someone that works on all of the shows, it's sort of in the background.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we have really good shows.
Speaker 4: On your for sure.
Speaker 9: For the slight.
Speaker 1: No, but there's levels.
Speaker 9: There are levels to this.
Speaker 10: There's levels of everything, every in every profession, every skill set, there's levels, and Talking Cowboys just happened to be at the peak.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 11: I mean, who's here at seven? I am watching film in the training table.
Speaker 1: I know one guy listen, So I'm here for their slights when it comes to one pot in particular, but that's only because they throw shade. But they're not worth mentioning.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I don't even like having this conversation.
Speaker 7: I'm not I do we lie because people came here to listen about the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: That's right, Well, they're they're listening to us obviously.
Speaker 11: All the shows in good fun I want to hear about news that I want to hear about news in and that's why word number one is because we get into the topics of conversation and have fun while doing it.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys did place a guy named Perry On Winfree.
Speaker 10: He went to injured reserve with the beck issue that uh that cropped.
Speaker 1: Up on him two weeks ago. In practice, I want to say he was a parent for the Philadelphia Eagles. I know it's that's a very that's close to you throw. The celebration video was sober and now we yeah, football going football, you know, football going football. You love Perry On Winfrey story, you love the the emotional rollercoaster that that he went on, and we're not doing that. We're not doing that. But unfortunately, he's gonna be down for a minimum of four games. If he is, if he recovers and he makes progress, then there is a possibility we will see him after four games, but not before then. So we'll see how that works. Because it looks like based upon what owner and general manager Jerry Jones told one oh five three the Fan this morning, he quote unquote suspects that Mazzie Smith will be inactive again against the New York Giants. So hand up.
Speaker 10: If Winfrey went on ir was there any other moves that were made to replace his spot on the roster at the moment.
Speaker 1: No, oh, so there's an open roster spot there is. There's also Ryan Flinoy on your practice squad.
Speaker 7: Well, and Mazzie Smith was inactive. Yeah, he already has a roster spot. But he just said that he mister Jones this morning that he plans on him.
Speaker 1: He said he suspects he suspects that Mozzie Smith will be inactivity again.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought he kind of misunderstood the question may have.
Speaker 7: The way that I interpreted that is he didn't have any idea because he he thought the Jaden Blue asked was an injury ask and I think he related that to Mazzi too. So unless Mozzi's dealing with an injury that we don't know about, then there's a conversation to be had. The way, I don't know if a lot of he came out clean.
Speaker 10: Yeah, going into I don't but the part that kind of stuck out when he said, we came out pretty clean. So I don't suspect anything different. So if you go with that part alone, I should suspect anything to be different.
Speaker 1: We're not going to dive into here.
Speaker 4: You're not wrong I just don't know.
Speaker 7: If I would, I would put a ton of stock and understand, because I think he misunderstood.
Speaker 1: I think you could could mind that with what Shoddy was saying as far as the Mazzi question is saying that he needs to see consistency. Until he sees the consistency me as you see it.
Speaker 10: You don't simply have a great day of practice on Wednesday and then you turn down on Thursday and then try to turn back. He said that about Blue as well, right at Blue as well. So these are the two guys that Jerry was asked.
Speaker 1: About as well.
Speaker 9: But there's a spot open if we're talking consistency.
Speaker 11: If we're talking consistency, one of the only teams that Mazie really has a lot of success against is the New York Giants, Is true, I mean, if we're talking facts, we're talking consistency, we talk this is a team that you want to get right, yes, science against if you are Mazzie Smith. If he is activated, and if he's not, then perhaps a move perhaps, But here's going to find a guy who knows.
Speaker 1: What also makes me because that's with your open roster spot, We're going to get.
Speaker 9: To you and they're gonna put us wheelers.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying. I mean, so to your point, Cayle, You're right.
Speaker 10: He may have misunderstood the question, but also contextually at the fact that he had a lot of praise for DOEA.
Speaker 4: Yeah he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he actually I went back and watched.
Speaker 10: I was critical of him early on, and I went back, I can watch, and he got better.
Speaker 1: He got better.
Speaker 10: He started It was almost like he was influenced by the intensity of the guys around him. I feel like originally he came off. It was kind of just like kind of a stick in the mud, kind of just like a big log sitting.
Speaker 9: There exactly right.
Speaker 10: But then when you start seeing Solomon Todmins, we started seeing oh, so we started seeing Marshawn. Those guys are firing off the ball, Clark Keetning, Clark firing off the ball. It was almost like either get with it or get ghosts right, And it's exactly so like, that's when environment matters. That's when that's when the culture that you're in, that you're entrenched in matters. Right, If everybody else is going hard, who am I not to go hard? If everybody else is getting off the ball, right and being intense and violent. Who am I not to I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb on film. That's why this culture thing, when I talk about culture like, that's one element of it. If everybody is doing the right thing, I better do it too. Otherwise I'm gonna be the guy who sticks out and gets red dotted.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 10: So it's important to have those kind of guys at every position that are doing and replicating the things that you're looking for as a coach, because it impacts the.
Speaker 1: Guys around you.
Speaker 10: So when you see moves, roster moves that are made, understand why certain things happen, right, And that's rosters across the board.
Speaker 1: But obviously people care about here at the Cowboys.
Speaker 10: When you see things that people who don't necessarily represent what it is that you're trying to enact, maybe they come up inactive, Maybe they come up not on the roster because they're not embodying what you need from your team.
Speaker 1: But then the question becomes because I see where you're angling with the roster spot. If you're hearing Jerry Jones, the owner and general manager, speak so highly of your rookie draft pick and j Doya behind obviously Kenny Clark, who had a fantastic game. The question I will pose to you, since you are angling toward free agency, what's the likelihood of you hearing Jerry say something like that about his rookie draft pick and then simultaneously going out and getting a free agent of different skill sets, completely different skills.
Speaker 10: So the person pose that, I don't want to keep saying in the name, right, I just say that initial CW. I don't want everybody to be thrown it out there because I would love for the Cowboys to be able to go snatch that person up, and I know you want him to crack thought exactly, I want him to well, yeah, exactly. Well, I don't want other teams to listen into our podcast because I know what happens and go out there and still are guys that we're looking at. But if they were to go sign this individual who is one of the top d linemen in football and especially in free agency, he's an impact player. He's a guy that automatically gives you the versatility up front. And if people are going to say, well, you have Solomon Thomas, you have you know, Kenny Clark, you have oh, so where does he fit in?
Speaker 1: At he fits in? There's a thing called a rotation.
Speaker 10: When I was when I was with the Giants and we want a super Bowl, it was because one of the major reasons was because of the rotation at the defensive line position. Your old defensive coordinator out in Washington has a rotation of guys on that defensive front and they're all nasty guys come off the bench, they come into the rotation, and these guys have impact. So you don't have to have all the guys out there at every single down. But it allows for you to have a three down front, It allows for you to have a four down front, It allows for you to have a.
Speaker 1: Five down front. No matter what you want to do.
Speaker 10: Goal line set, you can go out there and goal line now you can stop some things right So there, you can never have enough impact d lineman.
Speaker 1: It's like it's just you just can't. Right.
Speaker 10: And if you know that your position group of depth right now currently on defense is at the linebacker level, how does it hurt you having more guys up front that can do their job. If you can have more guys that are require offensive linemen to now scheme up and say Hey, I need two guys on this guy. It frees up your linebacker, and linebacker is whose favorite position?
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, INFI coordinator.
Speaker 10: I don't think there's a question about the individual you're speaking of as far as on field play, not at all.
Speaker 1: We know, we know, we know what the we know why he's not on the roster right now.
Speaker 4: Was he hurt for a little bit?
Speaker 1: That was a that was the speculation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: One Supposedly The story is he had one surgery and and the team said he they needed him to have a second surgery, and he said no, and then they released him. That was the justification for the release. I don't believe that that. I don't believe that the injury was the reason for the release, but I think that was a legal way to release somebody. So I believe nobody knows. I know, I definitely don't know what the sadness of his health is. But if he is healthy, snatch him up.
Speaker 11: Well, you've you've touched on CW for now for a while. Is there anybody else out there that kind of gets that sort.
Speaker 10: Of not far free agent that's a free agent you don't you don't move. There aren't players there aren't players like that that have that much impact that are just sitting.
Speaker 1: At the crib. I'm curious they just they're just not.
Speaker 10: No, those are guys that I mean, look at his previous contract that lets you know exactly how impactful he is.
Speaker 11: Got him out there, Deshaun Williams, apparently, Lynvall, Joseph Quentin, Jefferson.
Speaker 9: No, nothing's really.
Speaker 10: He he's a guy that if you add him to your d line the office of lines are like crap.
Speaker 4: Nothing quite tickles the fancy with those names.
Speaker 14: Yeah, not quite. No, don't be don't be your finger on it. Really you said, what don't be the butt of the joke? Oh, you're right, it's probably a good idea. Any other news and notes there pat not at the moment. No, Jerry and Steven talked earlier.
Speaker 7: We kind of mentioned a little bit about Jerry Jones and his words today on one O five three, the fan flagship of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Of Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all on there right now. Uh, there wasn't anything crazy of substance. So we're talking about the CPA and the contract negotiations and whether or not there's a violation of the CPA, there's no violation.
Speaker 1: Whatsoeppening they talked about, which basically Jerry validated the report that the Philadelphia Eagles put it in an offer for for Micah and and we're we're moving past the Micah thing on here. But Jerry did speak about this morning so really quickly, Jerry said that there was no counter offer from the Cowboys to the Eagles because that was a hard no, no matter how you looked at it.
Speaker 4: And what was the report from Jay Glazer in terms of the numbers.
Speaker 1: Three first, a third of fifth and more and yeah, no no twice gif no no, so no, that wasn't going to happen, Absolutely not so. And of course Michael made his debut for the Green Bay Packers, got himself a sick chased down Jerirago from garbage, tremendous impact. He did what he did, what you expected to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was fourth in the UH fourth in the NFL out of fifty six edge rushers that were graded this week.
Speaker 15: One.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in terms of PFF grade.
Speaker 1: We all know he's cable doing it. Yeah, it does. You'll you'll see him a couple of weeks.
Speaker 11: Really, Mickey, maybe you feel a lot better about it to make sure yesterday when he was talking about it with garbage.
Speaker 7: Time like which a lot of it was Itszach was definitely garbage time.
Speaker 4: But he made it.
Speaker 11: It is no no doubt that he is a great player. He's a problem for any offense.
Speaker 10: He got to be forced to interception, absolutely, force double teams. He forced tackles for law.
Speaker 9: But if you want to feel better about it, don't don't. Don't make yourself dismiss it entire don't don't act like.
Speaker 10: He's not one of the most dominant and you you will see and have to figure out what you want to do with him.
Speaker 1: In three weeks.
Speaker 4: He's gonna have three weeks.
Speaker 1: I will say, I'm extremely interested just to see how this timeline plays out between for both the Packers and and the Cowboys, because I mean, there's just no denying. You can try to cope all your life, but Micah is still going to be going to be Micah. That being said, it's also true that man Kenny Clark, but great Buddy and the Cowboys also, although they weren't able to get home more than once on Jalen Hurts, they were one of the league leaders in pressures applied in week one, So there's there's.
Speaker 10: An opportunity to just turn that whole unit into just something dominant.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: But when you get you already know that once your cornerback room gets healthy, that you're gonna have one of the most feared secondaries in the league. If you can have one of the most fear d lines in the league, what does that do for your team? We've seen it, like you know what I'm saying, Like there's like there's way to have a roster. But okay, yeah, we're good up there, we're good. And then there's a way to just to you guys, remember like the game and the in the in the arcade where you dropped the little coin in and they had the little shelf that keeps pushing it to it. Like right now you have your coin sitting on the edge, and you just if you place their proper coin in their proper spot, dude, and you can just push all those coins off the edge and just say, dude, now we're nasty up front, like do make the move, do it?
Speaker 4: Do it, do it?
Speaker 1: You can do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love how committed you are to this. You really are. Why not?
Speaker 9: Now it's his QB vision.
Speaker 1: Why not? Why not? Now from the old man?
Speaker 7: I mean, the the one thing that I keep going back to is the whole conversation we had in the off season about culture, locker room and getting the right type of guy.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and some guys, and some guys can be influenced.
Speaker 10: You know, I don't know that person, but we just talked about how how ja Toya, how he was influenced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his play was influenced by the guys around.
Speaker 4: But that's a different type of we don't know conversation.
Speaker 1: We don't know, we.
Speaker 11: Don't know, we don't, we don't. Maybe he needs the right culture around. We don't Maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: Maybe there aren't multiple cultures in at this point though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's kind of my thought.
Speaker 7: It happened in Clemson, it happened early in his career, it happened.
Speaker 9: The rights culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see, say we'll.
Speaker 1: See, but but but yeah, yeah, I but I like the commitment.
Speaker 7: I don't see it's possibly happening. I don't see it happening. All right, when we come back, Kyle talking cowboys, We're going to take your phone calls eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 4: I know we've got a good one lined up.
Speaker 7: To ready and start this second I'm ready, oh second segment right after the break with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 16: AT and T has a new guarantee because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by yourself warning.
Speaker 17: Each item must be placed in the bagging area. Not guarant place item in the bagging area. Place im in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 16: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right Terms and conditions APT is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details.
Speaker 1: AT and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 18: We're with you.
Speaker 2: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 4: Where are you?
Speaker 1: Where are you noted?
Speaker 7: If you're looking for fresh American roasty coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of black rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 19: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner with over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas. We help businesses thrive, so communities prosper. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation alreadys Reserved.
Speaker 4: To the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by and Visi Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys, Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back, Kyle Yeomans. What a Monday night football game we had last night to Vikings coming back to win and defeat the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 9: Those darn Bears, man, you point that.
Speaker 1: You pointed at me and said Josh Rodriguez.
Speaker 4: No, Josh Rodriguez. And then I said, Isaiah.
Speaker 1: Delay, Yeah, you're delate. You glitched.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You glitch like the Bears there last night, like the Ravens did many.
Speaker 9: You're going for a while. Don't think we ever got Isaiah stand back.
Speaker 4: It's okay, we'll get it back. We'll get it back soon.
Speaker 1: Bears.
Speaker 4: Uh, Bears look like they're a mid season form through.
Speaker 13: Let's go.
Speaker 9: That John or that that's Tommy.
Speaker 1: Okay, now play, I'll play the other drop beam to talk about the beersh.
Speaker 4: That was not good, not good for the not a good showing. And they played Detroit in week two and then they turn.
Speaker 20: Around, brother, this guy.
Speaker 7: Stays sorry, Ben Johnson, sorry, Caleb Williams, Romeo, Donz, Colston love Lytton.
Speaker 4: There they will comet.
Speaker 1: They are going to get that corrected.
Speaker 4: We'll see, they're gonna get it correct maybe we kicked the ball out. Abound confidence and.
Speaker 10: Have confidence in Ben Johnson, but they they're their first half was SOL. Confidence in their first half of SOL. And then and then I feel as if certain aspects, certain players.
Speaker 9: In Minnesota focusing then Minnesota decided to eat.
Speaker 10: No, for sure, Minnesota is gonna be gonna decord. I mean, look, he's freaking amazing, but Ben Johns, there's no way he allows. There's no way I have I don't have faith that they're gonna be like an amazing team. But I don't think that you're gonna see that performance again. Yeah, I don't heard that.
Speaker 4: No, So they can figure it out in week four. That's where they can figure it out. We'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, you know what day it is.
Speaker 4: You know it's time it is. It's time for a talking Tuesday.
Speaker 21: Got me.
Speaker 7: Now, We've got some callers on the line, our first caller Mike in New York. We're gonna try and hit eight calls today by do it. What's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Be in and out going on guys, is always great to talk to you. I was impressed by the Dallas Cowboys running game. Obviously, I think Williams and other guys did good. I'd like to. I want to have blue back. And then my biggest concerned is I'll be there in a couple of weeks to see the Cowboys play the Jets in New York. Steedee lamb, come on, buddy, you need to make some catches. I understand it happened, but come on, dude, how many trucks did you have?
Speaker 21: Like four?
Speaker 1: Comar four.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you, Mike, and New York always brings the energy.
Speaker 7: He's one of my favorite callers because of it, and he quick got it in, got it out. Talking about the run game, First, what did you think about the run game?
Speaker 4: We've kind of hit it for.
Speaker 7: The most part, But the more I look back at it, I think there were good things. I also think they wrote some not so good things, especially in that second half.
Speaker 1: I think that when you it was it perfect? Absolutely not. Now was it wildly upgraded over last season? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: Six rushing touchdown. You got two rushing touchdowns in.
Speaker 7: The first so I know I'm not talking about the rushing touchdowns. I'm talking about the effectiveness of the run game. Rico, I mean we sat here and danced for Rico Dautle.
Speaker 1: I it was I think it was effective enough to get you the win in Philadelphia. I don't know that I think that you want more like shot even said he said he wishes that they had more more swings at the plate. When it came to Javonte Williams, I agree with that statement. I do agree with that. I would have liked to see, you know, a few more handouts fifteen carries, but he he made the most handful.
Speaker 7: Put you at twitty right, sure, so grab ahamdful, Yeah, grabb a hand full, Pauls So Miles Sanders, Yeah, that's that's where That's where I would like to see a change, because when we did the mock fifty three, I had Jayden Blue as my RB two behind Javonte Williams. Unfortunately, with Miles Sanders what you got. And I saw Miles Sanders do some good things. He had a couple of solid runs, he had some good pass pro but that fumble was backbreaking right and thankfully dak Press Scott turned into a linebacker and helped save the game at that point at least kept the Cowboys in position where they could come back and try to win the game. But I would like to see Jaydon Blue and Javonte Williams. I want to see that combo against the New York Giants. But when you talk about what Javonte did and was able to do average more than four yards per carry for the majority of the game, you saw the push that the offensive line was able to get out in Isaiah loves that because that's his baby's offensive line and getting that push.
Speaker 1: They were moving some bodies down there. They were moving some bodies. I know, we gotta go ahead just really quickly.
Speaker 11: I like what I saw from Jamontay Williams. I think that last year over this year to kind of play double that advocate to what Patrick is saying, I think you did sort of see a lot of the same. The results are a lot of the same for what the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Run game gave you last year.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think Johanty Williams has more juice than that. But I think you're sort of running into a redundancy with Miles Sanders where it's like you're not getting enough of juice there. Change of pace by virtue of making Jayden Blue inactive, that's something that I wish would change. But then again, Brian schauan Ever talked about it as far as consistency goes, Blue needs to step up in certain ways to earn his active spot on the on game day.
Speaker 4: So it's a good point.
Speaker 9: I just don't know that there was enough change of pace.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we'll get in real quick because I know we have to get eight callars somehow. But less about the player, more about the scheme. Love the scheme. Love the scheme.
Speaker 4: Scheme was good.
Speaker 1: Love the scheme.
Speaker 10: You got a lot of encourage, got a lot of wham blocks, you got a lot of backside cutoffs. This style of rushing attack is going to have some big plays if your receiver's block on the next level. That's really what is going to come down to in terms of the front seven. Though, with this type of running scheme. If if that was the Week one performance, I'm excited for what's to come. Because the offensive line is only going to get better, The timing is only going going to get better. Their their landmarks for blocking is only going to get better. Like everything's going to improve. Like that should be the worst that you've seen it right now. And obviously you'll see different schemes, different defensive fronts, different all kinds of stuff. Right that will change as the season progresses. But if that is the scheme that they're going with, I like it. I like it a lot.
Speaker 7: Cynthony Cynthia from Laredo. He is on the line, Cynthia, what's going on?
Speaker 9: Good morning guy, Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 15: I just have a QUICKI here. I just wanted to be on your first talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 15: I'll tell you what. I'm very excited. I'll be a Cowboy fan, win or lose. I'm there all the way and I just have to give you all a big shout out to my quatro amigo.
Speaker 12: Okay, I like.
Speaker 15: Especially my man over there, Josh.
Speaker 5: Hey, I just.
Speaker 15: Wanted to wish you I just wanted to wish you all a fantastic year. I missed you all off season, but I wanted y'all to have a very blessed year.
Speaker 7: Okay, Cynthy, Cynthia, You're going to eat best the best, and we're still waiting on a trip down to South Texas for some of those times as well.
Speaker 4: We're gonna make it happen soon. Very nice. Thank you, Cynthia. Yes, ma'am, Yes, ma'am. I love you as well.
Speaker 7: All right, let's go to one of our you talked about consistency. Consistency is key. This guy's consistent.
Speaker 12: Zero.
Speaker 4: What's up? Nebbi knows ball?
Speaker 21: Hi, guys, thank you so much for taking my call. Uh Listen, even though I'm not I'm not happy to say the least that we traded uh, Michael partians U. I still have eighth in this our football team, and guys, uh uh there there are no moral victories in the National Football League, of course, but after seeing how we played against the Philadelphia Eagles, I believe we can be a playoff team. And of course, once you're in the playoffs, anything, uh I can happen. And I'm not saying I'm taking the New York Giants lightly because I'm certainly not. Uh, But after seeing how they played against the Commanders uh uh uh, I think it's important for us to get control of this game early and put the Giants.
Speaker 3: Are away as early uh as possible. Although before I go to be honest, uh uh, that's gonna be hard to do. Considering how the New York Giants defense, uh, it's pretty good and will probably keep uh uh uh and we'll probably keep them I keep them in the game. Uh.
Speaker 21: I take care. Thanks for being patient with me.
Speaker 3: Uh, I have a great way and of.
Speaker 21: Course as always go Cowboys. Yes, I love you guys, by.
Speaker 7: Nebbe knows Baul and talking about that defensive line for the Giants saying, that's the thing, that's the thing I keep pushing back on is you can't count this as a win immediately, no matter how well Dallas played in Week one. The Giants are done being the doormat, and at some point they will be done, actually be done being the doormat of the division.
Speaker 11: You can't take any win for granted. You can't take any game for granted, especially when they.
Speaker 9: Have that defensive line, that defensive line.
Speaker 11: I love that defensive line, and I don't necessarily think they have the best coaching UH staff in New York. But if those guys decide to turn it on against you, I mean, yeah, I think there's plenty there. But don't play with your food for all intensive purposes exactly exactly that don't take care of.
Speaker 10: Don't play with your food. Like Ney said, get out to a fast start. It's your home opener. Choke them out right, just bullet constrictor choke them out right. You start to start, start and then you constrict constrict constrict and by the time you get to hopefully the third quarter, they can't breathe in this game all day low, You'll put let's go.
Speaker 7: All right, next caller, how about let's go all the way up to Minnesota, Lester, and Minnesota is on the line.
Speaker 4: What's going on, Lester?
Speaker 12: Hey, guys, how you doing this morning?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 12: Hey, I'm doing good. I call in on storyline A lot in my tag is until we get an offensive and good defensive line at the same time.
Speaker 21: This is what we got.
Speaker 12: So that being said, I really like the offensive line with how they played. I saw a lot of trap blocks and other sort of blocking schemes that I didn't see very much up until this year, So.
Speaker 21: I really love it. They did a fabulous.
Speaker 12: Job man, And I do think we do need to improve our defensive tackles a spot a little bit better. I'm sure they're working on that. And I think we played a good game.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 12: I know there's no moral vigy. I don't believe that either because I played football as well, but in high school. But hey, I'm liking what I'm saying. And one more thing, man, we need to get pickings the ball a little bit more. I understand. You know, CD is the man, and I'm not saying he's not, but hey man, we gotta get I don't want another cook situation. I want to he is he He's really good. Yeah, okay, that's all I go.
Speaker 7: Boy, thanks least appreciate the call. It sounds like he's listening to Isaiah standback. He says he likes the blocking scheme on the offensive line. You need to add one more piece to your defensive tackle room, and you need to get George Pickens the ball more. Those are three of Isaiah's calling cards this week.
Speaker 1: Betty, So, I totally agree with that, young man. It was a good call.
Speaker 4: Myself done.
Speaker 10: I think the Pickens targets will come organically. And I also think that's less of a conversation, although it's a rightful point. It's less of a conversation if CD comes up with those passes as he knows we would. So but yeah, I think that will Yeah, there will be next week. There will see games where Pickens is out. This week CD will be.
Speaker 1: And vice versas.
Speaker 11: Let's not forget the Eagles made it a point to take away George pick You.
Speaker 1: Did, which which schematically is what is that one reason the Cowboys traded for him in the first place, to be able to drink. There's going to be days where these guys switch roles, right, one person will be the.
Speaker 9: And that's the beauty of having them both.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and this this we'll talk about the giants later, but they will both have a good call.
Speaker 11: And had we won the game, had CD caught those those balls that he did drop, it would be a different story. You wouldn't be asking about the the total count of Pickens contribution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to figure out if that was actually less or if that was Isaiah calling calling? So how across the table a recorded call?
Speaker 9: I didn't see his phone?
Speaker 7: All right, Uh, let's try and fit one more caller in before the break, Dan and Florida.
Speaker 4: Dana, what's going on? Man?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, how are you man?
Speaker 1: Hear from you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You know, I used to have I used to have my own version of Talking Cowboys Weekly with Dave Campbell, But now he's moved, So I'm I'm kind of lost again.
Speaker 1: You know, I still got a home here you are.
Speaker 5: Now, Yeah, I know, I know. Hey, you know, Uh, I'm glad Isaia was you know, I watched the line I don't, I really do. I I just enjoy watching line play. I'll tell you I was impressed with Terren Steele. Nobody's really saying much about him right now. I mean, I know it's one game, uh, but he looked like a different ballplayer than he than last year. Again, one game, small sample, uh, but it's one game that he can build on. And the other thing I think defensively, the Clark pick up obviously very huge. I like the kid from UCLA and I always pronounced his name, Yeah right. I like him a lot. I think I think Mazise days are gone. They've come and gone. My personal opinion, he's had three years. I don't see any real growth or improvement. That's just me. What do I know. But I'd give it to that guy. But the thing, I think, the thing you take away from that game the other night is Hurts killed everybody with his legs. If Overshawan is on the field, that's not going to happen. And so I'm I'm thinking when he gets back, and I know they're saying it's around Thanksgiving. I've also heard maybe earlier. I don't know, but I think you know, him on the field is going to be huge for that defense because defensively, eber Fluss had them playing pretty well, and I think offensively, Seawanheimer did a great job. I thought his game plan was great. I thought he did a great job. I thought Dak was impeccable. Uh and and again I thought the line was really outstanding. And granted Carter was going, but you know what, if Carter was in, they were gonna double him. So you don't know if he was going to be a game wrecker or not. You know, if you've got BB and Booker on him, I don't know. I may call that a draw personally, but I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about that. Again, I think I think there's a lot of positives that come out of that game. And you know, it kind of really upsets me because I sit back and you look at the difference in this team in game one versus the difference the last couple of years with McCarthy in game game one, and there was a lot more There was a hell of a lot more discipline in terms of penalties. Okay, so I think there's a lot to build on. Just wanted to say, hey, guys, how you doing And That's what I got, man, Dane, You're the man.
Speaker 4: Appreciate the call.
Speaker 7: As always, Patrick, I'll defer to you on there because I know you kind of agree with.
Speaker 4: Some of the points there.
Speaker 1: I do. Especially I love thank you Dano for highlighting Terrence Steele. I think Terrence Steele had a pretty strong game in week one. You look at we were talking about how Tyler Booker fared. Well, you know, Jayleen Carter was on the field, but you play who's lined up against you, and Daniel makes a good point that Jayalen Carter's there likely gets doubled up with combo blocks with BB and Booker, so no point in discussing who wasn't there. But when you look at what Tyler Booker was able to do, I think that helped Terrence Steele be able to cook on the right side. Because Terrence Steele only allowed three pressures, he was singled up one on one coverage seventy three and a half percent of the time. This is Vietnix gen stats, and his time to pressure allowed three point zero seven average was the second best only to Tyler Goetton, who had the best on the team. So Terrence Steele, he did well in the run game, which is his kind of claim to fame, right, He did very strongly in the past game, So it is something to build on.
Speaker 10: Yes, it's a small data set, it's just one game, but again, you build on it and there you go from there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, a lot of people overlooking Terrence steelright.
Speaker 11: And of Terrence Steel just looking at PFF currently, his run blocking grade for Week one was seventy.
Speaker 9: Eight point nine.
Speaker 20: Good.
Speaker 1: Seems good.
Speaker 9: It seems pretty good. It's sixth overall in tackles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems good.
Speaker 7: There was one element there that I disagreed with, and he was talking about how this team looks more disciplined and looks better in week one than the Mike McCarthy led.
Speaker 4: Teams did in Week one. They hadn't lost since twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Two in week one, and they defeated the Browns last year thirty three seventeen in a dominant game. And honestly, when he brought up to Marvey an overshow and that was the first game that came to mind for me of trying to limit a mobile quarterback. Demo was insane in that game against Deshaun Watson at that point in time, and he helped control. That same sort of deal can happen with Jalen.
Speaker 10: Hurts the future And did you get to marve on Overshown speed?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Needed here on a couple of those gen and.
Speaker 7: Then you go one more, sorry to continue one more, you're further twenty twenty two or No. Twenty three forty to nothing against the Giants. Mike McCarthy's teams were for the most part ready for week one.
Speaker 4: I know it was. It was kind of back.
Speaker 7: And forth between twenty one or twenty twenty and then twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: But the last two years they were fine.
Speaker 9: Let's not talk about week two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, one. Who's different. We do a different conversation.
Speaker 11: But in that same breath, if you don't have the Marvin Overshown, what are you doing?
Speaker 9: Not giving snaps? What are we doing?
Speaker 13: Man?
Speaker 9: He's the most athletic linebacker you have.
Speaker 1: I think that's just that I get it. I get it. I know, you know there's familiarity between Sanborne and I refluc and then you trade it for Murray, So of course those two guys are going to get the first crack. But I agree, I agree.
Speaker 11: Mobile quarterback like that antidote at this point without the Marvin overshown is Maris leofhu.
Speaker 10: Get him on the field, troll the controllables opportunities that he had. He had really good reps. That's good to know, so I do agree.
Speaker 7: After the break, we're gonna hear from John and Alaska. We've got six collars down. We need two more. Get on the phone eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven more talking cowboys on a talking Tuesday.
Speaker 16: After this, AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 17: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 4: Not guarantee.
Speaker 17: Place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 13: You know what.
Speaker 16: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right. Burms and Conditions Supply is a att dot com slash guarantee for details. AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee isle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 20: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 4: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 7: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 20: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 13: To cry out?
Speaker 20: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker. Your order will include a free five p skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is full of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. We need to we need to have three more calls by the end of this show. Oh we've got less than ten minutes to do it.
Speaker 1: Let me talk. Got to be in and out.
Speaker 4: John and Alaska not a sponsor. Good morning, what's up man?
Speaker 5: Not much?
Speaker 22: How you doing?
Speaker 8: Guy?
Speaker 4: Doing great? And you were you were very early in the morning out there.
Speaker 22: Right, yeah, six forty one.
Speaker 1: Good for you. It's lunchtime, all right.
Speaker 22: I'll make it first. I didn't get to ask you last year who you thought your Dallas Cowboys Rookie of the Year might be for me. It was Cooper BB and I'd be curious to hear who you think maybe your Cowboys Rookie of the Year this year might be for me. I'm picking ezraraku.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 22: Secondly, I was I'm okay with the Parsons trade, but a big if they can get value for those first round picks, so so wait and see for me. And finally, I'm picking the Cowboys to beat the Giants twenty seven to nineteen this weekend.
Speaker 7: That a boy twenty seven nineteen would be awesome, John, I think, thank you again for the call, Thank you for getting up early out there in Alaska and listening from out there.
Speaker 4: You are the best, all right.
Speaker 1: Rookie of the year.
Speaker 4: Who do you think, Teller Booker, Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 7: He's gonna start every game if as long as he stays healthy, knock on one, He's he's gonna start every game, and he's gonna get better as he.
Speaker 1: Goes along, and he's going to be a maller.
Speaker 4: I think he's just gonna be a.
Speaker 11: Maller right for the sake of redundancy. Let me say Donovan Azraku, Okay, just from what he's shown in camp, I know he didn't have an excellent Week one, but that's a tall task going up against the Philadelphia Eagles. I think he balls out this game. I really do, especially against the Giants line.
Speaker 1: I have a one in it two.
Speaker 4: What's the what's the one?
Speaker 10: One is Tyler Booker by two is off the top rope I'm coming with. Shamar James was inactive, and he was inactive in Week one, but I think by the end of the season, if certain moves are made, I think you will see more sets with four linebackers, and I think that he finds a way into that rotation. And he is an instinctual player. I'm not sure why he was in active. He's a young player, but I believe that by the end of the season he will be a key a key element to that defense.
Speaker 11: I think as more players earn more trust with at eber Fluis, you will see players like that step up.
Speaker 10: I could I could foresee, I could foresee Kenneth Murray, Mayors lea foul, Shamar James very fast, second level very that I just don't see overtaking Damon, I just I don't see it. Yeah, there's different sets, there's different sets and matches matter.
Speaker 1: I love you know, I love him demon. I love Damon, That's my little bro.
Speaker 10: But certain sets are for certain individuals and skill sets and certain matchups. You can mix and mingle that. But again, if you're running mixing up a four three three four, depending on your your opponent, the abilities of your linebackers matter.
Speaker 1: Well, if we're doing too, then give me some Jay and Blue in there. M once he gets, once he gets back there, once he gets I like it.
Speaker 4: Good call John, very nicely done.
Speaker 7: All Right, this next one, I'm gonna say this, and I don't want to get fired because Chris Beine literally says, don't ask me in the in the text for it, it's hoodie Cush from the basement boys.
Speaker 4: I don't know what any of that means. But what's up?
Speaker 13: What's going on? Gentlemen?
Speaker 4: Is this a three line thing?
Speaker 9: I've never heard. I think he's in the I think he's in the chat mostly.
Speaker 1: Cush Yemen.
Speaker 13: Killed the Yeomans, fucking mess up by train to talk?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: So the one thing, and like I was doing Girls Boys Talk yesterday, the one thing that that struck a chord with me is the fact that no one's talking about this and it's something that we've been plagued with through the McCarthy regime. Prestat penalties. I mean, granted we had one was that the twelve men on the field, So like, is that not refreshing? Does that not?
Speaker 21: Does that?
Speaker 13: Does that not speak to the discipline of what the discipline and culture of what this new regime is is implemented. I mean, because I mean I remember before we were plagued by like fourteen penalties of prestat penalties in one game being the playoffs. So I mean, I just I just want to do it. File doing that And as far as the linebackers was concerned, I'm not too worried. I mean, first game of the season, new regime. Everybody's getting their feet under them, so I mean, I'm willing to give them grace. How about you, guys?
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 4: Good call overall, hoodie, I appreciate you. Man.
Speaker 7: I think there's there's a couple elements there. One the pre snap penalties. Yeah, that is refreshing.
Speaker 1: You quite, It's very.
Speaker 11: I mean, if we're talking about a change in culture from McCarthy to Schottenheimer, one of the biggest indicators that I saw, and this is a graphic that popped up like at the end of the third quarter, was penalties. We had three going into too the fourth quarter and ended with four for forty two yards. Last year you averaged seven point five per game.
Speaker 9: There, you go right there.
Speaker 1: And then what was one of the main things that a lot of people wanted to see from Tyler Gutton? Improval improval pl penalties? He had zero and then you look at pre snap obviously that we said only one. And he put that on the coaches twelve men on the field. He said, the coaches got to be better with getting that play call in faster. They will be looking for and then look at them looking for it. They'll be looking for that. And then was awesome, what did us?
Speaker 7: It was pretty sick though, flip it to the defense twist that was cool.
Speaker 9: That was I'm gonna save that gift for a while.
Speaker 10: Ye do it again and almost the defensive side of the ball. Sam Williams was played with the same thing penalties before he went down with injury and the Heagles trying to bait him on that fourth and flour He didn't bite. So yes, refreshing, absolutely good good call, Hoodie push, great call. Hoodie sounds like a super villain by the way his voice and his voice is like he had a super villain to laugh. Yeah, like, what did I get into here.
Speaker 1: He was like, you're killing me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sorry, I didn't know what your name was. All right, Jim and Pasadena. You're our final caller of the day.
Speaker 4: What up, Jim?
Speaker 1: Good morning man, Good morning, doing well sir?
Speaker 5: Hey, I agree with you guys.
Speaker 18: We need a home run hitter from the backfield. Javonte Williams gets you the hard yards and first level routes and past protection. He's a poor Ezekiel Elliott. But we need a home run hitter. So we also need a snumper in the middle of defense, someone like Bolton from Kansas City. So I wannam asking you, with so many premium picks coming in two years, would you give up a second rounder for a cat to fill the middle, or home run hitter from the backfield, or even a third rounder.
Speaker 1: I know that's negative you have. First of all, yeah, first of all, thanks for the call.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jim. I appreciate you man, Thank you, Jim.
Speaker 10: I don't I would not give up any of that right now. I think that you have guys on your roster that can fulfill those roles. They just need to be given the opportunity. Again, we're one weekend to the season. Yeah, we're one weekend to the season. You were going, I guess the defend the Super Bowl champions. There were some elements of your game plan that you had to be sure. You couldn't be just rolling the dice on some guys. If you had any uncertainty with some of your rookies and guys that you feel as if they can contribute it later on in the season, you were going to hold them back a little bit in this particular, in this particular game, but against like the Giants, I would imagine that some of these guys probably will come off of the inactive list and we'll have some opportunities.
Speaker 1: So you have to.
Speaker 10: Understand what you were walking into. And you can't play everybody. You got a fifty three man roster. Only forty eight guys can suit up. There's limited spots available. Sometimes you have to go a little bit safe, especially when you're playing the defending champs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 7: And Plus, you want to go upgrade your roster from the outside looking in right now. You don't want to spin draft captain. Yeah, get somebody no, no, no, for sure, don't wager your future right now.
Speaker 4: None.
Speaker 9: At this point you have to see who you have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got.
Speaker 9: Week one is not an indicator of what the rest of the season is going, right.
Speaker 4: Remember September football is September.
Speaker 10: You got to get to October before you actually know and you have enough data to be able to start to say, well, this person is, you know, going on this trajectory. This other person maybe pulled them back, but yeah, you need at least four games.
Speaker 4: All right, eight calls down.
Speaker 7: Good job everybody, great calls across the board, had a lot of good conversations. I love talking Tuesday. Good to have it back here on the Cowboys Radio Network. We'll be back tomorrow. We're gonna preview the Dallas defense taking on that New York Giants offense. Russell Wilson was named the starter by the Giants, so thank you.
Speaker 1: That's supposed to be.
Speaker 7: Brian Schottenheimer versus his former quarterback.
Speaker 1: He was not bad, but was he good? We'll talk.
Speaker 7: We'll talk tomorrow, see what that defense has in store for the New York Giants. For Patrick no S Walker, Josh Rodriguez, stand back, Chris ban answering all the calls in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: We'll see tomorrow. Morning nine to a.
Speaker 2: This is been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.