Speaker 1: What has happened? Everybody. Happy Friday to you wherever you are.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Texans All Access from the Hondai Texans Radio studio.
Speaker 1: Day three of training camp is.
Speaker 2: In the books and it was, well, I'll put it this way, I didn't even write Harris Hits for this one today. And I am your host, John Harris, the author of Harris Hits, author author football, and I saw that report for your Houston Texas Longside and you heard the voice, the voice of the Texans, Mark Vandermier. But Mark, it was one of those days that you know, Harris Hits had to sit on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they were going kind of three quarters in the bubble. They went a little easier on themselves today after days one and two. Tomorrow is going to be heavy duty baby out in the outdoor elements in front of the fans for the first time, and I think this is a great time. The fans will give the players even more juice back outside high energy practice. You know they're gonna lay it all out there practice wise, practice context of laying it all out there, and then Sunday day off and then start the whole process again on Monday. So I like that they did that. I think it's smart. I taught to Frank Okam after practice. We'll probably play that next week. But a good interview with him because I said, how is camp different now than it was in two thousand and eight when you were drafted by the Texans as a defensive lineman?
Speaker 1: Plenty different.
Speaker 3: He had plenty to say about it too, and how they take care of themselves now? And I said, well, how do you build the intensity? The callousis that you have to build and the intensity and everything else. And he had some good answers about this, because you know what the D line calls themselves.
Speaker 4: Right, the engine, the engine.
Speaker 1: The engine is.
Speaker 3: If you're part of the engine, you got to be ready to go at all times.
Speaker 2: And those two and rod Right was on in the loop today with Reggie and John. I haven't a chance to talk to Reggie and John about it, but we love our time with rod Right. We'd love it. I know with Frank as well. We have absolutely enjoyed our time with them. But those guys get coached hard. Yep, they get coached hard. First day of OTAs, I think it was first day OTAs no pads.
Speaker 1: The contact has got to.
Speaker 3: Be day icy, don't hurt anybody, don't hurt anybody.
Speaker 1: You know you don't, you don't want to hurt anybody.
Speaker 2: But also that you know there's gonna be some bodies that run into each other because it's football, that kind of thing. So they get done with a period. And now keep in mind OTA's mini camp. Not everybody's there. I think Sheldon wasn't there. Uh, Tommy was in practice, but he was not in at the time whatever. And I happened to be floating by, and there was a special teams period and whoever was not on special teams from the D line was sitting on the bench and Rod right and they were getting the business handed to him.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I'm like, it's the first day of OTAs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It isn't like you're let's ease into this thing. Is like, no, No, we have a standard. You meet the standard, whether it's a walkthrough, whether it's a meeting inside, whether it's a team meeting, whether it's one on ones, whether it's inside Drew. We have a standard and you better freaking match that standard every.
Speaker 1: Day and exceed it if you're gonna play for this team.
Speaker 2: That's the expectation and that's I'm just I don't know if that's what he said to him, but that's kind of in my mind what I was thinking he was saying to him. I just felt like, first day OTAs, man, we don't ease into this. And like, if you're not easing into it in the first day OTAs, you sure as hell are not easing into it on day three a training camp, even if you're not having all the contact, because when they're out without pads, it's a contact sport once if with the pads on, it becomes a collision sport. Yeah, but that that has that has stayed with me. I mean that was that was just this offseason. I remember I I've already I love Frank Okamp and Rod right, I love them both. When I saw that, I was like, hell yeah, because that's what other that's what non championship teams do. If here what championship, then the standard has to be at such a level that every rep, every practice you go out there. And that's why today watching over in the bubble and I thought that was another great thing. Look, we don't we play outside one time and that isn't it's all week five on the schedule, right, so let's we're gonna get plenty of work outside on the grass, but when we can take the load off getting him inside in the bubble, let's do it. That said, the expectation is still you better know what you're doing. You better go out on the field, know what your responsibility is, know what your role is.
Speaker 1: And go to the hilt.
Speaker 2: Just don't tackle anybody, don't hit anybody, don't collide with anybody, stay up and get a lot of work done.
Speaker 1: And I feel like that's what today was. Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 3: It was also choreography for situational stuff that last second field goal type stuff. Spike the ball, get it all done in time, get the guys acclimated to that day three, I thought it was pretty early to be doing stuff like that, but why not. Why not get it in their system early because every point is crucial, every possession is crucial.
Speaker 4: You've got to get points whenever you can.
Speaker 3: How many times at the end of the first half situation were they able to execute a lot, you know, and as to do it, they go after it, they get after it. There have been teams here in the past, and I don't know, I don't know why the approach was this way, but you felt like there wasn't this sense of urgency or as much of one to get something done before the break, to get something really positive done. It was like, if it happens, okay, but if it doesn't, no, No, this is we need to get at least three here before halftime, and that's going to make a big difference. It's always brought up, you know, back in the day, Chris Berman and Tom Jackson NFL Time time and you know, the music and everything, and they would say, what do the good teams do? They end the first half, Well, they begin the second half, Well, they're really good in that middle part of the game. Look, I think the good teams do everything well, and you want to be one of those good teams. So this kind of work is really important early. Plus, I like the bubble, Johnny. Whenever I'm in the bubble, and this being the twenty fifth year, it just reminds me of year one so much because that's the first time I ever saw a practice was in the bubble in the offseason, So it always brings me back to that that moment. For some reason, the smell of the bubble is the same as it was twenty four years ago. It's the same smell and it hasn't changed that much at least to me, but it probably has over the years. I mean it's a new bubble. I think they flipped the bubble twice. Probably new air conditioning, I know, new lights and things like that. Any case, in any case, the bubble is a good place to watch because the visual is different in there and when the.
Speaker 1: Lighting is different.
Speaker 3: I was talking to our videographers about this. They don't like it, a little different than they like. The photographers hate the bubble. Yeah, the bubble's not but the lights are better now than they used to be. They used to really hate it. But I think that it's a good place to watch things. And for the guys, Johnny, you tell me because you played this game when you're going that three quarter, Yeah, it's not about intensity, it's about precision. It's a good time to work on your precision on things.
Speaker 1: Do you have pep in your step? This is I heard.
Speaker 2: I heard this when I heard I heard Dimika Ryan say it. And I'm always in tune to. I'm in tune listening to for those sort of things like how you know, like what's the acronyms, and then Nick.
Speaker 1: Cassio said it the other day.
Speaker 2: Precision effort, physicality, PEP, pepping your step.
Speaker 1: That's what I call it.
Speaker 2: You got pepping your step, precision effort, physicality. And I've asked this question of both of them over the years, because I know I definitely have asked it of Nick, what's a non negotiable as it pertains to when you're doing player evaluation, be it free agents or rookies coming to the Texans, what are your non negotiables? I've asked that of Demko. To be on this team, to be on this defense, to be part of the offense, what are your non negotiables? And it feels like those three things stand out. You must be precise in what you're doing everything. You're not just gonna go willy nearly fly out there and like things are going to happen for you.
Speaker 5: Effort.
Speaker 1: We know this team, we know it's effort. And then last, it's certainly not least its physicality.
Speaker 6: I feel like those three letters, the accron and pep pep in your steps. I'll say it, that seems to fit almost even better than swarm because it encompasses everybody, but it feels like those are these are.
Speaker 1: The non negotiables.
Speaker 2: If you don't have those three, if you're not precise in what you do, you don't show the right kind of effort or enough effort, and you were not physical, you're not a Texan.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I feel like that encapsulates even more than the smart dependable they've come up with in the past. I feel like I feel like Pep, especially for this team, this coaching staff, this personnel group, Nick, et cetera.
Speaker 1: I feel like it fits that much.
Speaker 3: If somebody asked me about this kind of stuff. You know, every coach has their thing, I mean some more than others. Yeah, and Demiko a swarm in this now and everything that Nick added to it.
Speaker 4: I think it's important to have these things.
Speaker 1: It's important, you know, do your job.
Speaker 3: These cliches or acronyms, phrases, mantras, mantras very important because you want to simplify it and you want to give the guys something to go back to. This is the religion of football right here.
Speaker 4: In sports.
Speaker 3: You need to be able to have that to rely on to push you through those hard moments because this is a grind and this time next week we'll be talking about Okay, we're in game week Monday. Oh no, Friday's game week Monday. John, Oh no, so you're not gonna start with that, but no, it's gonna be also, Oh wow, we've been in camp for a whild out and they're gonna feel it. They're gonna feel it because they have a day off Sunday, O day off Thursday, and then probably the Sunday after that. If I'm not that's right, both because a Saturday night practice a week from tomorrow. Anyway, well, let's not too far ahead of ourselves other than to say that you need things to carry you through this time. And today it was just great to see the guys inside run of those routes, being precise defensive players, not lighting guys up at all, right, and seeing some execution in the bubble. I can't wait for tomorrow won't be padded in all likelihood correct will pass. These came out in full pads today.
Speaker 1: That's disease.
Speaker 4: I'm not surprised.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: I'm not surprised he comes out in full pads today. Well, because it's because it's a walkthrough.
Speaker 2: They know he's not gonna you know, he's not gonna hit anybody, shouldn't hit anybody at that point.
Speaker 3: Maybe he just wants to like call us up. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm who's to say. I mean, it's disease.
Speaker 2: I mean he's the he's the leader of that defense in it, and it shows. But because they did a lot of walkthrough stuff, we got a chance to see Tank with with the offense.
Speaker 3: At this speed, you can just throw them right out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the in the choreography everything. And Dimko talked about it yesterday.
Speaker 7: He talked, He.
Speaker 1: Said, Tank is just chomping at the bit.
Speaker 2: He just wants to be out there and and and totally understand it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you want to be out there with your guys. You want your guys CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud, you want to be out there with you, you want to be catching passes.
Speaker 1: But I felt like it was you talked about the very end.
Speaker 2: They did a little bit of some situational work, and I love and I think I think about if I were coaching, I would mix in situational work with every practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because to pay attention to it.
Speaker 2: It forces guys to pay attention and forces him to learn a little bit about football. You'd be surprised how many guys might think they know the situation, but they may not.
Speaker 3: I mean, these things are really difficult. You're watching TV or like, oh yeah, I just get the field goal team out there spiked. You have to work on it. It's too many moving parts. You have eleven guys, everybody's got to be going. Even today, looking at getting up to the line spiking the football, it was really interesting to watch them practice this. Yes, you have to do this well, and it's it's fun for us to be able to observe it and relay it to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And the guy that is charged with doing it on the field, being the maestro getting everybody in position in those situations is one ce J Stroud, our buddy having Washedburn from CBS Sports, sat down with CJ, and it is wonderful.
Speaker 1: Take a listen well, CJ.
Speaker 8: First of all, great to see you. Always appreciate your time.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 8: We're kicking off training caip year four for you, it feels like you've been in the league a lot longer than that. Has this time flown by or does it feel like it's been four years?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 9: Good to see you, man. I appreciate you having on the show. But it's been been quick. Yeah, it's been a blessing. You know, I'm very grateful to go on a year four because, like yesterday, I was a rookie, so you know, it does seem like I've been in the league a lot longer. But you know, still you know, early in my career and I've been able to you know, have some meaningful years, but has gone by fast.
Speaker 8: Biggest difference when you start a camp like today as opposed to year one and year two for you.
Speaker 9: Definitely just like the comfortability of you know just what to expect, especially you know, being on the same team for this long and with the same head coach. And I think, you know, he's he's done a good job of, you know, trying to make everything everybody won, you know, from offense, defense, special teams, and you know, making sure we're competing at a high level.
Speaker 10: So and then you know, just learning every day.
Speaker 9: I think, you know, just because I am getting it down better doesn't mean I know everything.
Speaker 10: So I'm trying to learn every day.
Speaker 8: Specific to your offense. Nick Keley takes over offensive coordinator last year. Inevitable growing pains, you seem to figure it out towards the back end of the season, you guys go on that run. Where have you seen the growth in terms of the relationship you have in the command you have of this offense.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, early on, you know, has some some things that I feel like we knew. We're just figuring each other out on playing styles, on system, you know, trying to keep been in the system but also make it tailored to the guys. And I think he's done a great job, you know, I mean me and his relationship has grown. Uh, we talk a lot. We try to communicate as much as we can. I'm in his office a bunch, So M's nice man to uh. You know, have somebody who you know wants to see you succeed and that wants the best for you. So, you know, I think this year we'll take another step and you know, uh be better than we were last year.
Speaker 8: It feels like from the outside, you have what most teams in this league hope for continuity both sides of the ball and offensively, it's more about sprinkling in things to tweak and improve. I wanna start with the offensive line. It's probably been a a conversation point you've had to answer over the first three years in this league. What do you like about the group that this front office put together for you this year?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think they're tough.
Speaker 9: You know, I think you know, uh, you know, it starts with you know, car r r o line coach. He's a tough guy, you know, definitely, you know, it's very opinionative and lets you know how he feels and he's gonna be brutally honest with you. But also, you know, I think the guys you brought in, you know, like whyt I thought, you know, I think he's very tough. He's played a lot of meaningful ball in his career, and you know, it's one of to get on the team where he can you know, make a run. So I'm happy to have him. I think Keeling brings a edge. You know, he's a dog young guy, but you know, takes command. Uh Braydon has been doing great. Trench's doing great, Tay you know, Jake Ed you know, uh Ed got paid, but he's working even harder now. So super proud of that guy. But you know, I like where we're going, and I you know, like the guys you brought in.
Speaker 8: I'm curious what's the process if Keeling's your center to kind of developing that chemistry necessary to play such a key role.
Speaker 10: I think first he has to be himself, you know.
Speaker 9: I know it's different, it's new for him, but he has to find, you know, things that that he's comfortable with doing, and I think, you know, uh, but also pushing itself to know and try new things. But I think most of all, he has to be himself. Like he got drafted in the first round for a reason, you know, and everything I've seen, you know, he's he's the first round talent. He's tough, he's he reminds me of my guys that I had in college, is like doesn't stop playing.
Speaker 10: Here's a whistle.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like he but just more than just talent, just like effort and you know, trying to like you know, play with the Wiston.
Speaker 10: Even if he's wrong, he's going a thousand percent.
Speaker 9: So you know, he's a great guy, somebody who you know, faith based, guy who relies on God. So I think, you know that definitely help him in in his rookie season. And I'm here for.
Speaker 8: Him and David Montgomery, a name in this league that that has so much respect that he brings here to Houston. How do you see him fitting in to the run game?
Speaker 10: Uh, He's gonna be perfect for us.
Speaker 9: So I think you look at this system, you know, you know kind of we have a New England style Slash Rams type of running running games. So you look at the guys that have had success in those systems, or guys like David Montgomery. So I see nothing but success for him. I think he's super tough, very quick feet, you know, is a one one cut guy.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 9: But he'll also run through your face. So you know, I'm a big fan of him since he was in Chicago.
Speaker 8: And for you, it's always fun talking to you the beginning of a season, obviously throughout the year, just your growth both on and off the field. And in preparation for this, I saw a quote you had the beauty is in the struggle As a guy on the outside, it seems like you've had a lot of success. Where's the struggle been for you that you've had to kind of navigate?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 9: I think everybody you know, and even myself, you think, whenever I end the game, I don't ever think about the good players, think about the bad and same thing. I don't ever think about the good games, think about the bad. So but for me, I mean, I have had a lot of success, a lot of wins and a lot of you know, playoff wins, which is I'm been grateful for. But I'm ready to take a step, you know, and and go even farther than that. You know, not only is you know, as a team, but personally as well. So I think I put in the work of off season. Now it's just you know, doing it now. But yeah, I mean, I'm I'm grateful for, you know, the success I had. So I'm not you know, naive or you know, dumb that I don't think I'm a bad football player, but you know, I definitely not.
Speaker 10: Can I can take better.
Speaker 8: Steps And it's the reality of the job. But when you're as highly touted as you are and productive as you are, people want to know, all right, when's he can be locked up for the long term? And here in Houston, how do you manage that noise? And just what's the human nature of wanting to know where you're gonna be beyond next year?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, you know, first, you know, my my my faith is in God, and you know, I've been brought to this great city of Houston. You know, when I was twenty twenty one years old as a young kid, went behind the ears and the city has taught me how to be a man. And you know, I've made plenty of mistakes, had a lot of successes, but they've rooted me on, you know, and I just really appreciate being here, so you know, right now and focus on football and letting my agent and you know, our front office handle it. But you know, everything's moving forward, and you know it seems like you know, everything's moving moving up. So we're we're I'm happy where I am, and I want to be here, you know, as long as I can.
Speaker 8: And and lastly, see JA, what gives you confidence in yourself? But more importantly the collective that this is the group that can push through, get past that divisional round and and reach the goals that not only are you guys capable of that, but that I know you're death.
Speaker 9: Yeah, personally, I would say, you know, just the work that I've put in over the years, that versity that I've been through, Like I, this isn't new to me. You know, I've been through a bunch of my career from high school to you know, playing out of high state now playing here in the NFL, and I'm used to adversity. I'm used to you know, you know, people not believing in me, So you know that's kind of something that I'm used to.
Speaker 10: But you know, I also know that people do.
Speaker 9: So, uh, then the work that I put in, I'm I'm proud of myself on the off season I've had and the steps that I've taken. And then as a group, you know, the work we put in together. I think you know where a group that you know has seeing what it looks like when we're rolling and you know those games we're like a little bit off is where you know, we we dropped some games.
Speaker 10: So I think if we go back.
Speaker 9: And we look at, you know, some of the games we had a lot of one score games, we win those games, we you know, we could be on top of the AFC, maybe even the best team in the league.
Speaker 10: So that's definitely in and just capable for it.
Speaker 9: So I believe, you know, the work that we put in their OTAs and now going into training camp, you know we'll be able to take that step.
Speaker 8: Awesome man, always great team. I appreciate your talking about see a week once, sir.
Speaker 2: Great stuff from those two happen to see two days later, Evan Washburn up with Josh Allen. I was like, yep, Van Washburn's gonna be in the building for Bill's Texans, which he thought that was going to be the case.
Speaker 1: So we'll see them again at some point.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: I had a chance a couple of days ago to catch up with one of my one of my new favorites. It's been around here for a year plus, he's going into year two. It's ariantae Urserie. Stick around for his answer to who he would want at dinner with him.
Speaker 1: It's a bunch of Michaels.
Speaker 6: Here's Tay with me, all right, standing with a guy hasn't been here all that long. He's one of my faves. Arianta Ersrie Tay. I wants you to think back to day one last year as a rookie. I want you to think about today, your first day in year two. How different of a player are you from year one a year two?
Speaker 11: Yeah, man, I will say, you know, mentally, physically, I feel like I got it stronger, I gotten better, you know, just with the help of my peers. Taking a time out of my own to find out what I need to work on, what's things I need to tighten up so I can be ready to propel for my second year. So just coming out here today, man, was it was a hell of a feeling be out here, back out here with the gods. It was just con continue to get better.
Speaker 12: Man comfort level.
Speaker 6: When you can walk in a huddle and you hear a full play call, you're like, hey, I'm accustomed to hearing that as opposed to a rookie.
Speaker 12: What's that been like? Just absorbing the play call all that kind of stuff? You second year?
Speaker 11: Yeah, man, I say, I'll say, like, definitely, the the difference between last year and this year is just the tempo, uh, being more confident, hearing the play before the play even comes out of CJ mem I already know what you gonna say, so uh being the first guy to the ball, uh getting down, getting ready to get, you know, and just ready to ball, ready to play fast.
Speaker 6: Mindset of the offensive line in twenty twenty six and fuse like they're being some guys at it to the room. You like to say, the glass eaters, all that kind of stuff, and of course people point to you and say, yeah, that guy's a glass eater as well.
Speaker 12: What's the the culture of been talented the offensive line room this year?
Speaker 11: I would say nasty, tough, and you know it's gritty. Those three words right there, Just nasty, tough and gritty boys that want to work, Guys that push each other, Guys that hold each other accountable. No matter who you who you are, and where you at on depth chart, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: Everybody works hard.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Summer got a chance to get away from here for Minnie Camp. I knew you were here for a bit because I would see you. But what was the summer like? In between Mini camp and between the started training camp.
Speaker 11: I talked to Will, and you know he talked about it's all about having that balance, you know, Uh, spending time with your family, making sure that you're working out so you can stay in shaven. Uh, you know, just be ready to come back for camp.
Speaker 12: She get home against some barbecue, second rate go barbecue.
Speaker 5: I was down there in Dallads eight hunches of bunch.
Speaker 6: Okay, but you know where the best barbecue is right kids in city?
Speaker 5: Baby?
Speaker 6: No, Okay, see this debate, have this debate that started production meetings that I still can't get my man around. So my Houston barbecue people. You've got to bring my man around. Okay, So let's go away.
Speaker 5: From football for a little bit.
Speaker 12: We talk about football day. Let me go away for football.
Speaker 6: So this summer I had an opportunity. I don't say we called it an opportunity, but I had to go to La. My wife had a bunch of stuff in LA. That had to drive back from LA all the way back to Houston. It's about twenty four hours. I did by myself.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 8: It's fine if.
Speaker 6: You had to make that trip, but you had to pick one teammate to go with you for that whole trip.
Speaker 12: One teammate. Who would it be? What one teammate? Would it not be?
Speaker 7: Who you want?
Speaker 12: Who would you want to have on a trip? Who would you know?
Speaker 11: I'm not taking love everybody, but one teammate probably yeah, probably probably Kamar just because he on defense. But one guy, what take with me is why telling him?
Speaker 12: Yeah, what's he been like? To have him in the room to share?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 11: Super fun god, that brings energy, the same guy every day, you know, loves family and he introduced me to his family, introducing him on my family. So relationship in the bond that we built, so quick, it's been good.
Speaker 12: Okay, I like it.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 12: This is when I asked the coach assistant coaches in the off season.
Speaker 6: For person dinner. You're one four person dinner dinner live. You could pick any other three to join you at a dinner. You can talk about anything, you ask anything. What three individuals, people, entities would you want with you at dinner?
Speaker 12: You can pick to anybody.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna say Michael Jordan, Okay.
Speaker 10: I like it.
Speaker 5: I like it, uhcause.
Speaker 12: You're you're a hooper. I mean you you played balling, you played bowing high school, you know.
Speaker 5: And I love his story.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Jordan's with you for sure.
Speaker 5: Michael Jackson. Okay, Michael B. Jordan.
Speaker 12: Wow, that's so you're staying straight.
Speaker 5: Michael, I like you. Michael B. Jordan, Yeah, okay, favorite actors.
Speaker 12: It's me this what you've been watching lately, TV movies, what you've been on.
Speaker 5: I just got into The Odyssey, okay.
Speaker 12: Thoughts Film review thumbs up, thumbs down.
Speaker 11: It was a great movie, ten out of ten. It's a little long, but you know, it's it's worth it and it's very interesting. Yeah, you know, I think you know you should go watch it.
Speaker 12: Okay, I'll definitely, I'll definitely go watch it.
Speaker 6: You're two expectations for you, but just for yourself, what do you what do you want to accomplish? I mean, look, the team wants to do great things and win a lot of games and go win championships and such, but just you in focusing on year two, what is it that you want to do? What's your goal trying.
Speaker 5: To accomplish in year two? Man?
Speaker 11: I think just the intentionality to really really get better, Like I'm talking about owning off the field.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about, you know, changing.
Speaker 11: Your lifestyle, just wanting to be better, you know, just being better than everybody around you and you know, and hopefully that elevates everybody else. So I think every day just trying to push myself. You know, I'm not trying to always be perfect, but I'm aiming to be perfect and I feel like if I'm doing that, then I'm hitting the right direction.
Speaker 12: It's the man ariatte Er, Sri, keep your eyes on the folks.
Speaker 2: He's the best, Yes, sir, Thank you all right? Great stuff from Tay and CJ and Evan. We get back. Jonathan Alexander from the US to Chronicle joined US gave us his thoughts and what he's seen thus far in camp.
Speaker 1: It's next Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody to a Friday editione of Texans All Access from not at Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host, John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans. It's time to catch up with our good friend from the Houston Chronicle, Jonathan Alexander Tredy.
Speaker 1: Camp has started.
Speaker 3: He's got thoughts, Jonathan, our first official visit of the twenty twenty sixth season.
Speaker 4: How's it going.
Speaker 13: It's going well, and I'm glad to be back. Glad football is back. It was too long of a break, for.
Speaker 1: Too long a break. How'd you fill that break?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean I took a few days, a couple of weeks off, went to Puerto Rico, went to Galveston.
Speaker 1: Worked on me and Dalveston.
Speaker 13: Yes, working on some bigger projects, so I ken't be pretty simple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you did work on a lot of things. Give us a couple of highlights off season stories that you really liked, one or two that you really liked, because I know you did some features and things.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think my favorite one was the story on Keeland Red ledge and really just finding out about his journey and how he got to this point in his life and how he almost lost his foot, how he almost didn't played football, and really kind of how he was able to overcome a lot of the things in it's earlier life that allowed him to overcome a new amputation. So that was one of my favorite stories. It's funny because I asked Keelan did he read it yesterday? And he was like, nah, damn read it. He was like, but my wife read it and she said it was good. And I said, Okay, I guess that's good enough.
Speaker 2: I mean the player giving your thumbs up, He's like, but family members mostly the wife giving you your thumbs up.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things that Mark and I talk a lot about.
Speaker 2: At least I said to Mark Jonathan, is I get a chance to sit down or we get a chance to sit down with players? Yeah, there are new whether free agent's, rookies, et cetera. And they leave, walk out of the building and look at market.
Speaker 7: Like I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it. And what I mean is I get.
Speaker 2: Why the Texans made him a draft pick or went out and sought him in free agency. As you got done. Speaking with Kielan, did you go, oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: I told get why the Texans drafted this.
Speaker 13: Guy, because you know, the with the culture of Demiico Ryans has Bill exactly along with Nick ca Sarrio. You know, they want guys who are football focused, guys who may have a little ads to them but keep it about football, who are going to stay clean off the field and keeling religion.
Speaker 7: Is all of that.
Speaker 13: He he is the type the guy who's going to push you into the ground. He's going to play to the end of the whistle. He's going to focus on football. He's football the main thing. You know, that's his primary focus. He wants to be the best that he can be to protect quarterback c J. Stroud And you know everything he said, everything he's about is what the Texans want to be about.
Speaker 7: So didn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 3: Early observations about the offense through two days. I know they're not in pads, but here we are. We got to talk about it. What do you think of Jonathan.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think compared to last year, they are definitely ahead of where they were. They seem a little bit more calm. You know, obviously with Nico Collins, in the lineup. You know that that offense is always going to be dangerous when you have a guy like him, But now you're adding guys like Jayden Higgins, who who appears to be taking a step in my opinion, even though it's only two days. He made some nice plays and everything I've heard from people inside the building is like he came back different like that.
Speaker 7: Confidence probably helps.
Speaker 13: But he's bigger, he's faster, like you know, and he's been working hard. So if you could get him, and then whatever you can get from Tank, you know, hopefully is you know, the old Tank.
Speaker 7: But even if you get you.
Speaker 13: Know, three fourths of what he was, and then you add a lot to your offense, which was very much needed last year.
Speaker 7: So I think right now it's on the right path.
Speaker 1: We had this conversation at the end of the last segment.
Speaker 2: We're talking about David Montgomery, what he marks the running backs, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Job.
Speaker 2: How do you see that playing out? And include you are Jordan and that too, because I think you are is gonna have a role somehow with this offense in a ball carrying capacity, catching the ball back for whatever, how do you look the running back situation I know it.
Speaker 1: May not be the favorite for fantasy owners.
Speaker 2: Out there to not have total clarity every single week, But from your standpoint, how do you think the running back carries, touches, et cetera get divvied up?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I mean, I think David Montgomery is going to get the bulk of the carrieres, but that doesn't mean he'll get all of them, right, Like, they have trusting Woody marks and they think he definitely has big playability, particularly in the passing game. And then you have Jawar Jordan, who's a beast against whenever the Texas offense needs to run outside his own scheme. So I think you may see, you know, situations like that where they say, Okay, we need to do outside his own so we're gonna run him a little bit more.
Speaker 7: So I think you'll see them mixing match.
Speaker 13: But I do think, you know, David Montgomery, they brought him here to be the lead back, and when I watch him play, he reminds me a lot of Joe Mixing. And he's not trying to avoid any tacklers. He's trying to go through tacklers, right, And I think he's going to be critical in their red zone offense, and so they're gonna lean on him. But I think Woody Mars is also going to play a big role in Juar Jordan's gonna see some touches.
Speaker 3: To Jonathan Alexander of the Houston Chronicle joining us. So you're covering the whole team, and you're also covering the CJ. Stroud contract situation. I know these questions have come up press conferences with everybody. So how are you approaching that?
Speaker 4: What are you.
Speaker 3: Thinking moving forward here in the immediate future, Jonathan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean this move.
Speaker 13: We'll play a huge part, or this potential move play a huge part in the future ramifications of the Houston Texans. So I'm always keeping my eyes on it because obviously he can break it any moment. I've been told by multiple agents that Nick Asiria is a guy who's gonna call you when he's ready to make a deal, and you know things can happen very quickly at any point, so you know, you know, it sounds like c J. Stroud and the Texans have had good conversations into me. Nickose Ario's comments really indicate that they are behind and committed to CJ.
Speaker 7: Strout.
Speaker 13: Now, whether that deal gets done before the season or next off season. You know it, We'll have to wait and see. But it's something that I'm always paying it. I'm always gonna be paying attention to because it'll be huge when it happens. In the meantime, balancing, balancing everything else that happens is along with cam.
Speaker 1: That was one of the things that Nick said.
Speaker 2: We got to talk about, not CJ in particular, but negotiating contracts, and he said, agents and people know I'm a bottom line person, like I this is what I think, and there's not gonna be wishy washy. It's like, that's what we think. The value is is what we think the contract is not so much take it or lead. But if we're not, okay, well let's reconvene later. Let's look at this at a at a different time. And I just thinking about it after he said it, was like, Yeah, that seems to make sense the way that he approaches his business.
Speaker 1: Jonathan.
Speaker 2: I know it's only been two days you've watched this team, but has there been anybody that you go that guy.
Speaker 1: I hadn't really been paying attention to that guy.
Speaker 2: That guy is standing out a little bit, or maybe it's a star that you think is you know, still playing at a pretty high level even through these first couple of days. Do you have a name or two that are kind of like, you know what, I really need to continue to watch this guy or these guys.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 13: I talked a little bit about him earlier, like I got bogged down in the tank, Dell coming back, you know the noise which he is, but that I forgot about Jaden Higgins and the potential impact.
Speaker 7: That he can have one it's a great one.
Speaker 13: But outside of him, I don't know. Something is just telling me, like Camri Laster is gonna eat take it and even another step this year. Oh, one person I did say is already starting to show out.
Speaker 7: Henry Toto made a huge play in the backfield.
Speaker 13: He was great yes yesterday broke up that uh screens and I just I think this is the final year of his rookie deal as well. He's obviously motivated to earn a contract. I think he's gonna have a good years long as he stays healthy. But Kamaria Lassiter, I just think, you know, a lot of probably disrespect in the top one hundred player rankings and a lot of the other rankings he definitely should be in there. I think all of that motivates him. He might not say it publicly, but I think all of that motivates him, and he rises to the occasion every time.
Speaker 7: So I think he's gonna have another good year.
Speaker 2: He's one of those guys that he will put not just a chip on his shoulder, the whole damn bag's going on his shoulder, like every single practice, every single game, like it fuels as if he's got you know, Bobby Bouchet sounds going on in his head.
Speaker 1: He said, you're not good, You're too small.
Speaker 2: He ran four to six, and inside he's like, no, man, watch this, watch this bank Dereck Henry in the safety for safety against the rape like he does those kind of things.
Speaker 7: Nahgree, he's Jonathan.
Speaker 4: You brought up Henry.
Speaker 3: So the linebackers, you know here we are. We Gotasease Henry. Those are your top two and you're good to go. But the depth is taking a hit with the EJ. Speed in the offseason, obviously, and then you have Jake Hanson, who's your leading special teams tackler.
Speaker 4: He gets hurt. We don't know what the situation is.
Speaker 3: Hoping for the very best, but all of a sudden, that depth gets tested behind those top two guys.
Speaker 4: What about that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, and I wrote a little bit about that yesterday that you know, the depth there is being tested right now because with E. J. Speed having suffered that injury in the offseason, you know, they really don't know whether he's going to return. Who knows how long Jake Hanson will be out, but any loss from any extended period of time puts a lot of pressure on you know, those rookies too. If he does have to miss time, well, they've got to perform. You know, that could be good and bad because now they have a better chance of making this roster. But you know they're gonna need those guys to play well because at some certain point Jamal Hill, Aidan Fisher, Wade Wood as Marte Mapu are going to be called apoing and who's going to stand out? And I think they'll be looking these next few days to see who that's going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the guy that enters that spot might end up having to do it on special teams first. Yeah, more than likely having to do it on special teams first. And turning around, we talked about the contract with CJ. Let's talk about the ballplayerj And just two days in and we've seen every single rep he's had in practice since he's been here in games. We've been here for all that. Jonathan, you have as well your thoughts about the progress the maturation of c J.
Speaker 7: Stroud, at least early in camp.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, you know, first, I think it starts with like he had to be kind of coming in or you would think that he had to be coming into this season with a lot of pressure, just given how last season ended, the criticism, the heavy criticism nationally to him, and when I see him, he just it doesn't seem like it is violas him. He seems under control. He seems unbothered by it. And I think even David Montgomery, who's about to walk by soon, talked about it a little bit.
Speaker 7: He said, just not much phases him.
Speaker 13: And I think that's ideally what you want, because you want to see him move on from what happened, and so far I've seen him be under control, look a little bit more comfortable. Being this is second year in offense. You know, Demika Ryans talked about you know, they're trying to do a better job of being efficient, pre pre snap and that's going to handle a lot of issues. So so far the throws of you know, always throwing a nice ball. Now can the pieces around him help elevate him? I think you're starting to see that, and we'll see more of that in the coming days.
Speaker 3: Jonathan Montgomery has the wired ear pods as opposed to the wire less, and I'm back on the wired because a lot of guys are, actually, but that's not why I'm back on it. I'm just on them because I would lose the wireless, so I need the wire.
Speaker 4: To hang on to them. But this is a thing. What do you do?
Speaker 13: So they have become more in style yep, but you know what, I am so bad with Louis. I should do wired, but I'm I'm very obsessive about or not obsessive. I like to look at New York Times wirecutter and say what are the best earbuds to use? And right now I'm on wireless. Okay, soon I could go back to wired.
Speaker 3: All right, So never mind about that, So thank you for that information. Back to football. So here we are in camp and we haven't taught to you this offseason much at all. So AFC South Jags Colts.
Speaker 7: Who do you feel.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously the Jags are the biggest challenge here. We looked at their offseason and said, you know, things have to go right for them because they lost formerly known as Etn now Itchen, but Travis who had a great year last year, and I don't know if Towton can have a great year for them like he did like him did. But what are your thoughts on them and what they did and didn't do and how they might be in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't re up their running game, you know, on the same level as h M. You know, I thought he was such a big part of that offense. But I think they'll be solid team. I just think they'll probably struggle given that they're playing the first place schedule. Like I mean, their schedule isn't horrendous, but it is it is tougher than what they had, definitely tougher than what they had last year. Right, So I think they'll still be a good team. They have solid pieces. They'll be getting Travis Hunter back. You know, those head dressers on that team are really good. But you know, I do think that they'll they'll likely have some struggles with their schedule and getting past some of the guys they have.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of the stories and when Mark Roth daviously south and maybe think about it. Jonathan Taylor needs a deal. B Jon Robinson needs a deal. Jamior Gibbs needs a deal. Now, two of the three of those are hold ends. Yeah, they're there, so they don't get fine, but they're not doing anything until they end up getting a deal. Now, Taylor is doing work and he's convinced, Hey, yeah, I'm gonna be a cult for life.
Speaker 1: He's he went through this.
Speaker 2: Before with his second contract, he's about to go on a third.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any.
Speaker 2: Possibility of any of those three moving on or do you think that teams will eventually find a deal for those three because they are that important to the offense even though they're running backs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think all three of those guys stay.
Speaker 13: Of those three that if there was one that was a go, you know, probably B John Robinson. But I don't think that's the case because I think they invested so much into him. But I think all of those guys make sense. You know, as you reference Jonathan Taylor's comments about want to stay there. You know, the Lions just traded away David Montgomery, so you know they're investing heavily on him, and then b John Robinson is is is what makes.
Speaker 7: Their engine go.
Speaker 13: So you know it's a good day for running backs, but particularly compared to how it was a few years ago. They're starting to get paid in its deserving because running backs. You know a lot of offenses are putting their focus on the running game.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, that's the man, Jonathan Alexander Love get a chance to talk to him. Coming up, one of our good friends, one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: I get a chance to work with her on preseason games.
Speaker 2: Shelby Coppage TV sidelline reporter for your preseason games, will join us next right here in Texans All Access's and everybody, welcome back to this Friday is Year Texas All Axis. Jean Harris football and sideline reporter and TV preseason game analysts alongside my friend Indy Klue and play by play man Kevin Coogler for your Texans. Also joining us, Shelby Coppage, gotta be a great friend, does a tremendous job on the sidelines for TV.
Speaker 1: Shelby sat down with Mark and me.
Speaker 2: We talked about a number of different things, including her busy schedule this offseason.
Speaker 3: Shelby Coppage also national play by play announcer for Love Volleyball.
Speaker 4: Yes, how about it?
Speaker 14: How's it going to always random? For a ready throw to me?
Speaker 1: Mark?
Speaker 14: Love it?
Speaker 5: We go?
Speaker 4: Here, we go?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, you've done so much.
Speaker 4: I mean, how do you keep track of it all?
Speaker 3: Because national announcer for Love Volleyball and obviously the football stuff and everything else you do is so much.
Speaker 15: It's so much, but it sounds you and John understand it. It's so fun and so even on the days where I'm like ugh, I have to like get up in this hotel and go to work, like oh wait, my job is to cover League one volleyball or whatever team it is on the road.
Speaker 14: So it's so much fun. I'm so blessed. But it's definitely like it. It's it's a lot, as you know.
Speaker 3: So you do the astro studio stuff too sometimes, which is really interesting, and we'll forgive you for that.
Speaker 14: Hey, when you can't use me, I want someone else.
Speaker 15: But you know, right when the astros called me, I called Mark first. I was like, hey, Mark, can I still do the Textans games if I cover for the Astros here and there?
Speaker 1: He said, yes, if the colts call, then they'll be a fight. Yeah, goodbye.
Speaker 14: I' not doing that.
Speaker 2: It will be a fight at that's totally understandable. What would you say, Shelby, is your downtime of the year? I think for Mark and I it's pretty easy. It's like when they leave for Ota mini camp until today. Yeah, that's called our downtime. If you will, what's your downtime?
Speaker 15: So I actually just got two puppies this time, so no, So basically even when I don't have calls or anything, I'm just with puppies all day.
Speaker 14: I'm stimulated all day.
Speaker 15: It's been so much fun and like good you know, timing for summer to be able to train them before the fall starts.
Speaker 14: So it's been a really fun summer.
Speaker 1: Wow, what kind of dogs?
Speaker 15: A German shepherd and then a mutt so kind of cane course so much he's huge.
Speaker 3: Now I know you lost your long time Yeah, I love it bad May this off season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, condolence is about that.
Speaker 14: I know that's very tough.
Speaker 4: And Johnny lost two dogs last year.
Speaker 3: I know it's very tough, but so you went to the well pretty quickly to get a new set.
Speaker 1: As it turns out, just one.
Speaker 15: I literally got uh the puppies the day after I was done traveling for the spring. So like I called breeders, like when do you have an eight week old ready?
Speaker 14: Like timed it.
Speaker 15: So I had a few months after padme just traveling and everything. But like you need your attention, you know, yous, Like he can't be at home doing nothing, you know when I'm waiting for my games and stuff. So uh, Leyah the German shepherd was a little expensive a breeder.
Speaker 14: Then Coop on the rescue.
Speaker 15: Is the joke is his name is Coupon because he was so cheap compared to leya coop.
Speaker 14: So you know, people like adopt don't shop. Well I did adopt.
Speaker 15: And also the ones that already bore need homes too. The breeders, what do you do with these puppies?
Speaker 4: They need homes to do point they exist.
Speaker 1: There's my there's my daughter and her little guy Domino that she.
Speaker 3: Just got was a rescue.
Speaker 2: He's tiny, tiny, but he he's a he's a sweetheart. And my daughter just she was she was fostering him yeah, and I he didn't realize they called it this a foster fail when she adopts, so she.
Speaker 3: In love with him and she's foster failed.
Speaker 2: She fell in love with him and so literally Saturday went in, signed the papers, paid her two nd fifty bucks and Domino is hers, and I'm like.
Speaker 14: And Domina is also yours too, whenever daughter is busy.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: And he she was worried about how and I never really thought about this, but how rescues in particular react to men, and so yeah.
Speaker 4: Because men could be jerks to drives or whatever.
Speaker 1: And so I walked in and he just kind of sniffed me and he jumped up on me. I was like, well, yes, we're all good because you're a you.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And also, like.
Speaker 15: Hats scare dogs two sometimes, so like if you're on a new adopt hat, don't worry like hotter sunglasses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's training caps.
Speaker 3: So we're talking about puppies, but' rame Mike Vrabel raybel so on you.
Speaker 4: That's all we'll say about that. Shelby.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you about League one volleyball. Yeah, all right, So we have the Houston franchise and going through a lot of different things with that. It's awesome. This will be the second season that the Texans have control of the France and things are evolving because you had six teams, now you're gonna have ten. And tell us I like to point this out about volleyball. Yeah, it's training camps that we're talking about volleyball. Just briefly though, tell me so it's important, tell me about the caliber of play, because what strikes me is you might think is this a minor league.
Speaker 4: That it's not a minor league.
Speaker 3: These are major league players, but you get that access that you have with minor league teams where they can sign autographs and things like that.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so it has over twenty Olympians.
Speaker 15: That was just last season, so this year they've added even more. So imagine like the best players in the world overseas coming here so much less the USA Olympians, but we got the Brazil, the Japan like the best of the best.
Speaker 14: And the best thing.
Speaker 15: About volleyball is, unlike baseball, you can know when it's an awesome play. So you can walk in knowing zero about volleyball and know, dang, that was a crazy hit or a crazy.
Speaker 14: Dig like base. To me, all the pitches look the same. I can't tell.
Speaker 15: Like when Nico Collins makes a huge catch in the end zone, we can all appreciate how magnificent that is. That's volleyball, every single play, and so that's okay if no one really knows like League one, it's pretty new. But when you come to a game like you will understand how important this is. We have the best of the best athletes and also the Barry Center. I know the Texans are building a new place for the team to play, but it was insane, like thousands of people, hundreds of about thousands of girls waiting after the game was over to get autographs. Like this girl you know, might not know her Madison Skinner. She's gonna be an Olympian, played at Texas. She's everything. When she walked out, girls were screaming like their one direction, Like if you have daughters or whoever, like take them to these volleyball games, and especially like Texans. The Texans can see important. It is like they literally wanted in on this team.
Speaker 14: You have to go. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My thoughts on being here at camp and Texans pre TV rolling in two weeks from tomorrow.
Speaker 15: First thought was, it's kind of cool. There's a breeze, like I'm not I'm not you. You just got here, nice, I just got here. Yes, I did just get here. But like it's been a little cooler.
Speaker 14: I see.
Speaker 15: I'm really loving already seeing like CJ, you know, get connections. I love the handshakes, already excited to see him with the helmet off, the haircut, but the vibes are super high.
Speaker 14: Media is so excited to be here. Yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: It is awesome. She's awesome, This show is awesome. You're awesome for listening.
Speaker 2: Everybody back at sports Radio six ten, Slash ninety five seven the Fan, They're awesome. Practice number four tomorrow, Harris Its will be up later in the day. Make sure you check it out. We'll see you then, everybody, and as always, go Texans,