Speaker 1: On this episode of the Heat Check, the Final Four is set in college hoops and we'll be breaking down the NBA quality players on all four teams.
Speaker 2: Lucky you.
Speaker 1: We get into some news from around the league, including more on the Timberwolves drama, the Sun's latest meltdown, and an injury.
Speaker 2: Report from around the league. A lot to get to, So come on, Anthony, let's talk that motherfucker beast, that shoulbute beyond.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I'm recording from Boston, where I got to see a ton of quality NBA players in person, the ukumber of.
Speaker 2: The Illinois game.
Speaker 1: And so now that the Final Four is set with Yukon and Alabama on one side of the bracket, which is just an absolute nightmare fun matchup, and NC State versus Purdue on the other side, which is absolutely crazy for NC State to be there, I've.
Speaker 2: Got some thoughts.
Speaker 1: We'll be getting deep into the draft prospects soon, but I thought we would take a quick look at some of the players in the Final four who have a chance to be playing at the next level in the NBA next year. So let's start with Yukon, right, who might be the best college basketball team in modern memory? Like the most dominant. I kept asking people, have you ever seen a team like this before? Old heads, young guns, historians? Nobody has?
Speaker 2: They have now.
Speaker 1: For Reference covered the spread in ten consecutive NCAA Tournament games by an average of thirteen points nuts. According to Keith Smith French Show, who puts together this really cool spreadsheet every year about what players in the tournament are on draft boards. Here's how the remaining team stack up for NBA prospects. Connecticuette Huskies. The ESPN's Big board has six current Huskies as NBA players. Wow, only four right now are considering the draft. They are Stefan Castle, top fifteen player most likely. He's sixty six stefan freshman shooting guard. He's averaging ten six and three with one and a half stocks per game. But mostly what I like about Castle is you can put him on the other team's best scoring guard and he's gonna lock him the fuck down. He is a big body, he can shoot, he can make things very difficult for you, and on top of that, his athleticism was on full display against Illinois, where he had this spin move, turnaround, up and under reverse dunk which absolutely lit my eyes up. And let me know, Oh my god, this guy's an NBA talent, like a real deal. And we have seen that all year, but that was just another moment that popped off the page. Donovan Klingon is scene as a top ten talent. It's probably somewhere between ten and twenty. He's a six eleven center. I don't think that's true. Actually, he looks taller than six eleven. I think he's probably over seven feet now. I saw him in person. He looks like he's seven to one. He's averaging thirteen eight and two sixty four percent from the field. He had ten blocks in one game. They only credited him for eight. He had five blocks against.
Speaker 2: Illinois, but I think he had more than that.
Speaker 1: He held opponents against Illinois for zero for nineteen on possessions that he defended, which is absolutely nuts. Alex Caraban's an interesting one. He's seen as like a second round guy six eight forward. He's averaging fourteen to five and two. He's like the third option. But he's just steady Eddy. He's exactly what you want from a guy that's big. You're gonna see him on probably Grant Nelson, so he can defend Biggs as well, especially ones that want to stretch out the floor and keep Donovan clinging away from the rim, and they're not going to be able to do that with Alex Caraban down there. He's shooting fifty percent from the field right now. Samson Johnson is a backup center who I absolutely love. And when Donovan Klingon is either in foul trouble or is it playing well, Samson steps in. He's slated to go undrafted, but he might want to test whether he can get into the league. Right now, he's a six to ten backup center. He's averaging five to three and one, not a lot, seventy two percent from the field, but he's playing really well.
Speaker 2: In this tournament.
Speaker 1: In the minutes that he's kidding Alabama my man Grant Nelson second round pick. Now they're saying he was not on draft boards until Alabama's just rip through the NCAA tournament. He's a six to eleven transfer from North Dakota State. The thing that I like about him is he can shoot the three. He's shooting thirty six percent from three, but hitting some big time shots in clutch crucial moments. Forty nine sent shooting from the total field, averaging twelve six and two, but it feels so much more impactful than that, especially considering in the tournament what he's been able to do hitting free throws.
Speaker 2: Down the steps stretch at NC State.
Speaker 1: We got to talk about DJ Burns, who I circled on my list of players that I was most excited about watching in this tournament. Six', nine two hundred and seventy five pound. Load he might have played his way in the. LEAGUE i don't know what he, is BUT i tell you, what when he has the ball in his, hands magical things. Happen just the court vision outrageous and it was on full display Against duke, again and he.
Speaker 2: Was laughing because they couldn't guard.
Speaker 1: Him not the best defender, himself but he's averaging fifteen three and four in THE acc, tournament eighteen five and four in this four tournament game so, far including twenty nine in a game Against.
Speaker 2: Duke how About Zach edy For.
Speaker 1: Purdue he's now slated to be a lottery pick after not being able to be drafted last year and having to come back to college. Basketball he's seven, four two Times National player of The. Year he's had an excellent tournament he's averaging thirty sixteen and. Two the thing THAT i think is really, impressive, though to note About Zach eaty is he's averaged only two turnovers on over thirty four minutes per.
Speaker 2: Game that's just.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous so by, CONSENSUS i think this is maybe the weakest draft in recent. Memory and that's WHAT i think makes it so. Interesting there's a lot of jump balls out. There there is a massive difference in opinion of nearly all the top players in the, draft unlike what we saw last year or even in the last few drafts where the top ten was pretty much set in, stone not even like the colibally would, notwithstanding so you could argue all you, want Like Donald clington can go top, ten you could also say.
Speaker 2: Why he might go?
Speaker 1: Twentieth donovan klingon a defensive first center who really can't get? Buckets why WOULD i take a guy like that in the top ten when he's basically a backup big who. Knows, also on top of, THAT i Watched Terrence. Shannon he's obviously not in the final, four but he's. Big he's six six sixty seven and he's a terrible. Shooter but we saw him throughout the, tournament be able to fill it, up be able to hit crucial, buckets but more, importantly get after the, ball, defensively hit free, throws steal the, ball.
Speaker 2: And put the game.
Speaker 1: Away For illinois that were not supposed to Be Iowa, state and there they were in The elite. Eight So i'm really excited to see what happens with some of these guys that we were maybe not expecting to go drafted or not expecting to be this highly sought after after they've had these great tournament, runs which is something that we see every year in THE ncaa. Tournament guys that surprise you and guys that fly up the draft. Board one thing is for, sure having FUTURE nba players on these final four teams is good for both college and pro.
Speaker 2: Basketball so let's steps moving. On we've been.
Speaker 1: Covering this shit show that is The, minute so the Tim wolves ownership drama between on one, hand current owner and world class dick Asshole Glen, taylor and on the other, hand modern THINKING nba owners in Wait Alex rodriguez And Mark. GLORY i would recommend you go back and listening to the last couple of episodes to fill yourself in on what's going on in terms of like how we got, here where we're, at what's to say happens? Next but it's safe to say that the great fear is that this toxicity would impact the. Team all of, this all this, fighting all of this drama would impact a team that's trying to fight tooth and nail for the number one seed in The. West so guess, What Glenn, taylor you fucking. Google it appears that it is already distracting the team trying to keep in your, grasp and it should have only one.
Speaker 2: Thing on its, mind and that's winning The.
Speaker 1: West current standings are wild right, now there's a three way tie atop The west for the first. Place but, anybody this was not going to be a distraction That all The timberwolves don't care who owns the. Team all The timberwolves don't care that their name is in the. News all The timberwolves don't. Care Think Glenn taylor said he was going to sell the team and now he's.
Speaker 2: Not you're. Wrong Take Mike.
Speaker 1: Conley Mike colley is like widely considered to be one of the nicest player to ever step foot on the basketball.
Speaker 2: Court so who is he even.
Speaker 1: KEELED i, mean he's so even, keeled and he's never once gotten a technical in eighteen. Seasons so this is what he had to say about the bullshit that is dominating the news in The Twin. CITIES i don't think it affects the players as. Much maybe it affects the image of the, team the aura of the team around a little, Bit but as far as the players are, CONCERNED i think we're just, like, damn that's, crazy and then we go back to watching film and worry About Yo, Kisch Jamal murray And Michael porter and those. Guys it's a unique situation and it's something we don't have any control. Over we're just trying to do our. Job note that after saying it doesn't impact the players, much he uses the qualifying term where trying to do the job meaning like not. Nothing the last thing this team needs is to be thinking about anything. Else the five game, series by the, way with The nuggets last, year hinged on like a couple of, plays a couple of possessions per game in those five games that it took The nuggets to get through the difference between winning and losing against The nuggets is going to be a single. Shot being distracted at all is going to get you, Absolutely mrked is very, dangerous especially dangerous considering that you've got very little room for error in a very Stacked, west which is what makes this entire thing incredibly, stupid and the timing of it almost. Criminal If Glenn taylor had any support left In, minnesota and what from my friends say he does, not it's long gone now after his latest. Shenanigans we're going to be watching The wolves extra extra close in the coming weeks out In. Phoenix oh, no we've got a full blow melt on our.
Speaker 2: Hands yeah we.
Speaker 1: Do The suns are now just ten and nine in the last nineteen and are now squarely in the plan at seventh, place one and a half games behind the Surging, mavericks by the, way and facing the toughest schedule down stretch of any team in THE.
Speaker 2: Nba nerves are rattled and.
Speaker 1: Frazzled frustration is, everywhere and guess what when that, happens someone's got to be, blamed and fingers right now are being. Pointed and the head, Coach Frank, vogel has found his, scapegoat and his name Is Lou.
Speaker 2: Dort Lou. Dort, wow what the?
Speaker 1: Fuck, Yeah vogel has snapped and done something almost no head coach has, done which is to single out a one individual opposing, player and good, God vogel dig just. That here's what he had to say about Lou.
Speaker 3: DORT i really liked the offensive game that we. Played we had several possessions where we have. Speed, WELL i didn't make the. Shot it wasn't, perfect and we did have fourteen, turnovers even if seven of them were whistle, turnovers you know, which the leagues got to look at all the flopping that Lou dort. Does it's ridiculous how he gets, called and then you know they're gonna get calls like. That then they're they're gonna have an. Advantage you can't just fall down every time there's contact and get a, whistle you. Know, SO i, MEAN i hope the big looks at.
Speaker 1: That let me repeat, that you can't just fall down every time there's contact and get a. Whistle this is what Made frank vogelsnan, this, dude you just got beat down by twenty five points at the hands of The thunder with Outshake Gojess.
Speaker 2: Alexander you lost every quarter to the. Thunder do you know how hard it is to?
Speaker 1: Win to lose every single quarter of AN nba, game it happens like ten percent of the, time and you're gonna blame all of that on little old Lou, Dort, well big Lou dort. Flopping you, KNOW i think it Was Eric gordon going two for ten on more shots taken Than Devin, booger who got outscored by a Rookie Caseen wallace who's coming off the. Bench you don't think that might be the. Issue the kicker? Though is this the call that set Off vogel occurred in the second quarter When dort got called for a flopping, foul and the next day THE nba front office overturned it determined that, yes Lou dort had been, fouled it was an incorrect flopping. Foul by the, way if you want to see how often Lou dort has been called for flopping, Fouls he's been called flop flopping three times this. Year two of them have been, overturned so one time he has one flopping, foul which is as many flopping fouls As Josha kogie of The suns. Has, boy it's getting rough out.
Speaker 2: Here for The.
Speaker 1: Suns what, happens like there's a decent chance that The suns don't make it out of the. Plan it's an absolute rock fight right now in the seven to ten. Spots Imat ishbia is gonna have a lot to answer for in this, offseason considering how much money he has stuffed in the payroll and how little moves he has to, make and now he's got to Pay Grayson allen and go well over the luxury tax.
Speaker 2: Team let's be, honest is kind.
Speaker 1: Of finally we've got some injury news that will affect playoff races down the. Stretch, first The Sacramento kings man suffered a massive. Loss Six man of The Year Malik monk has suffered a spring mco probably out for the year UNLESS i don't, know like The kings go to The Western Conference, finals But i'm not sure that's gonna happen Without Malik. Monk what a massive loss for The, kings who have been like pretty inconsistent most of the season is probably second half of the season at, least And Malik monk might be the most consistent part of that besides the Earon fox And Demonisa. Bonus he's been super fun to watch. Too he has been an absolute delight and is in a contract year and is a.
Speaker 2: Microwave his value has never been.
Speaker 1: Higher The, kings as we discussed in the last, episode can only offer him seventeen million dollars a. Year now they're gonna have to hope that that's gonna be. Enough hopefully it will. Be With Kevin herder now ruled out for the, season The kings are now a play in team down two of their most important bench. Guys around the, league a lot of players are getting shut down for the year on non playoff teams by the.
Speaker 2: Way Laurie markinen is done In.
Speaker 1: Utah chamezzi meant to just a wild player to be, mentioned got shut down by The. Pistons Quentin grimes is done up In, Toronto Kita Bates dop is done In, brooklyn And everybody's done In, brooklyn And LaMelo ball is officially done In. Charlotte on the bright, side despite reports that The lakers are saying they both Gave vincent And Jerry vanderbilt should be back by the end of the, Season tyler hero is ramping up down In, miami And Pat beverly is skipping season ending resurgery to thug it out In. Milwaukee but more, Importantly Jojo Joe El embiid is ramping up and for video that's been released over the, weekend he is looking absolutely like a. Monster you do not want to See Joel embiid like, this AND i promise you no one wants to play him in the first, round.
Speaker 2: Especially like The. Celtics can you imagine having like an.
Speaker 1: Eighty percent one percentage and then the first thing that you see Is Joel embiid in the first. Round these playoffs cannot get here fast. Enough that's all the time that we have this episode of The Heat. Check thanks to the Great Keith smith and the whole crew at BET mgm. Tonight come Back monday for an all new come back tomorrow for an all new, episode A Rookie, report and check out the feed for past episodes of many episodes which drop unexpectedly like another blue chip team Like duke at the hands OF Dj. Burns do not forget to follow The Heat check as we head down the stretch of the. Season that means, della that means, Subscribe that means all your, friends all of, them tell, them even Even Frank vogel who wants to blame his dogshit team on loudor tell, Him, HEY i know what'll make you feel. Better Tristan.
Speaker 2: Creek roast in your, sons.
Speaker 1: And don't forget to follow us head at this heat check and At Trista creek on, TikTok twitter And, instagram and of course Won on put some videos, on but YouTube will see your excited