Speaker 1: Or the Steelers Audio Network presented by bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new power Move Independence health System expert care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Our number two of the drive here live on campus of course, at Saint Vincent College, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage out here in beautiful Lake Trobe. Another beautiful day today. Steelers got out there early, a lighter practice to more to go, Matt. I would imagine they'll be a little more ramped up than they were today, probably, but you also never know. It's a it's a new year, it's a new system. Looks like there's some potentially some home run derby or some stuff going on over there, right now, I don't know if that's the Saint Vincent team or if that's some of that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's the Steelers or not. I bet it's not.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is, actually, because right now, Matt actually down to our right at the Fred Rodgers Center at the bottom of the hill, Keanu Benten is doing his extension press conference as we speed right now, Keanu Bettan's at the podium down there. Maybe we can get you some of that audio in the next two hours, better before week before we.
Speaker 3: Imagine being a yeah, signing that extension. Yeah, I mean, so there's life changing stuff. I mean, it happens all the time in sports, but just forget these are young men. Was he twenty six or something like that, and it gets to sign an eighteen million dollars deal and congratulations.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool. And obviously I don't know if you saw this stuff, Matt, but I don't think anyone's more fired up than Nick Herbig, who also signed his extension earlier this summer. Those two are best.
Speaker 3: It's cost best.
Speaker 2: They go back to college time together. And Benton was at Herbig's press conference after he signed his deal. Herbig is down there right now, sitting in for Benton's those two best friends, Badgers and Badgers. And yet, hey, if they both end up playing out every year of their extension, Matt, that'd be you know, over a decade that they ended up playing from college to the pros with your best friend. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: That's really cool. I hadn't thought of.
Speaker 2: That, Matt. Thursday night, the Steelers first preseason game and twenty eight to nine victory over the Green Bay Packers plenty to like. There are some things that need cleaned up, as always, but I think we certainly left there all of us with positive vibes and thoughts in those things from the first preseason game, most notably, Matt, because one, you got through it without any major injuries, which is always maybe the first boxing you want to check. And number two because we finally got our first look at the two young quarterbacks and they did not disappoint.
Speaker 3: They sure didn't. And I think we can lump. I guess we had got to start with the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Right, I think so. I was trying to when we were in break. I was like, oh, literally want to start. Everyone's talking about the quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: My producer Bran kicks in. I'm like, let's do something different. And then I'm like, no, you idiot, Like that's the story. Talk about it.
Speaker 3: Lead the special penalties, you know, right.
Speaker 2: I had this, you'll like this. I had this, U, I had this. Alex he was the GM of the college radio station when I was in Morgantown, and he was probably in his forties and had worked in radio forever and was a good dude. Yeah, And I remember one time he said to us, he was like, never try and bury the story. He's like, when you turn on the news at night, they're not like, all five people got shot downtown. We'll talk about that in twenty minutes, you know, like they lead with it. The biggest story of the day is what you lead with. And the biggest story from Thursday night is the play of the two young quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: And I want to lump Mason Rudolph in there too, because first off, this to sound like I'm being negative towards these three quarterbacks. By no means am. I I was very, very impressed with the three of them. All are in particular, I thought really out kicked my expectations, you know, considering he's the youngest of the group. I think he's the most rat of the group, and maybe he was the most consistent of the group, but collectively, all three of them did really, really well. Now what I'm going with with this is, first off, I want to recognize I thought the Packers' defense that they put out there was pretty darn poor, especially as the game went on. Their depth issues are problematic. There were some blown coverages, but you gotta take advantage of that stuff. But where I'm going with this, to me, the lead, and it's easy just to look at quarterbacks and draft doll players. To me, the lead is the work McCarthy's done with that position. I mean, the efficiency, the crispness. You can see how well they've been instructed behind the scenes and on this field, and even his play calling has a different flavor to it, and throwing over the middle. And I've used the word efficient for the quarterback play and the passing game overall nine thousand times since the game endedish and of fish and efficient, crisp. Everyone's very confident in their read on time. When plays break down, they don't become disasters, you know. I mean, it's just the fact that was if one of them looked great, and the other two were. I don't want any of that kind of all over the place. I don't think I'd be calling out McCarthy and praising him first and foremost. The fact that all of them were not carbon copies of each other, but played to their strengths really operated the offense, I think, really screams that this coaching staff has changed things and is making an impact.
Speaker 2: That's a very that's a very good observation from you. I'm with you on that one, because you're right. If it was just Mason Rudolph, or if it was just Drew Aller, then you you could make five unbelievable right, But it is easy to forget because all the attention was on the two young guys. And I'm not gonna call will Will Howard a rookie, but it is almost like the two rookie time. But Mason Rudolph ten for eleven, nice and efficient h A twenty five all three quarterbacks. Matt had an explosive completion too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they drove the ball down the field, they went fourth and fourth down, They threw in the middle of the field. They shut the guys up for run after the catch.
Speaker 2: You know. Four explosive plays in the past game, plus a nineteen yard of de Ben's chronic So that's that's about a yard away from being a fifth explosive in the past game, because of course that's a twenty or plus yard reception. For those of you who are new and have not heard, Matt and I lament explosives to death here over the offseason. Also, though no explosives for Green Bay on offense, the Steelers defense did not give up an explosive in the run game ten or more yards, did not give up an explosive in the past game, or for twenty of our more yards or a touchdown for that matter. But talk to me about those those two young quarterbacks. We'll go. Let's go in chronological order here. The thing that I really liked about Will Howard is Matt I was kind of waiting to see just what his nerves, what his body language looked like, because.
Speaker 3: I think this was like a rookie moment.
Speaker 2: I think it would have been understandable for him. He's been sitting and waiting for a year and a half. Remember, he hasn't played a football game since Ohio State beat Notre Dame for the national championship in January of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a lot long.
Speaker 2: That's a long time ago. And since then the Steelers went out and drafted a third round quarterback behind him. I think it would have been very understandable if he was like so, he sails a couple of throws, he makes a mental, is just so jacked up, so excited, so ready to go that he almost overplays it.
Speaker 3: And you were there, I'm sure the crowd really reacted when the second and they did for both young guys.
Speaker 2: You know, the second he runs out there, they now entering the game, number eighteen out in the place goes nuts and it's like, okay, here we go. Let's see how this is gonna look. And it's a two minute drill opportunity for him in there at the end of the second quarter too.
Speaker 3: I think that was his highlight if it was running the two minutes.
Speaker 2: If he would have came out and had some jitters, had some nerves, maybe fire to pass too long, maybe a short route he guns it in there too heavy. Yeah, I would have understood it. He's been championed at the for a year and a half to get back out on the field, but I thought he looked cool, calm and collected. I was very impressed by that.
Speaker 3: I thought so too, And again I thought that was on most display during the two minute drill. I thought he handled that very very well, had a real strong understanding. Now that's something they practice out here a lot. I mean, this staff is very into the two minute drill before. I forget the defense didn't hold up so well in the two minute drill after Howard's two minute drill, So half of the two minute stuff went well, half didn't. Another thing that really stood out to me with Howard that has to be part of his game because he's not as gifted of a thrower. Of the four of them, he's the least gifted thrower and by no means as he rogers, and he's not really close to Aller in terms of arm talent. But when he has to move his feet and reset, he did that really well without having to totally you know, start from scratch. Yeah, I mean, like Brady's the best example ever of just little subtle moves and not having to you know, reset my entire mechanics and being able to throw on platform despite being moved off my spot. You know, I thought that that's something that's going to have to happen for him, because if you're Mahomes or Rogers or whatever, and I get moved off my spot and I'm not in a comfortable position, I may throw this crazy sight arm laser that only superheroes can do, you know. So that was something that stood out to me. Accuracy in general composure great, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was very impressed. Yeah, seven of nine eighty six yards almost had the touchdown pass but was was ruled down upon further review and then hammered home by Lou Nichols. But I liked that.
Speaker 3: And that was another one. I mean, some of it was the play never should have lasted as long as it did. But it felt like that play went off for like ten seconds, like he was like doing his bend impersonation. He shrugged off a guy and you're right.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely right, and then found the open man right, and he had kind of slipped him between the coverage of the defense. And then more on Bernard later by the way, Oh, we're gonna have more on the receivers and some of these running backs too. But Drew Aller then comes in and obviously, once again the anticipation rises, the place is ready to go, and I think not quite to the extent of Howard, But I also would have understood if there would be some nerves, some miscues, some misfires, and Matt he goes.
Speaker 3: Ten long times. Does he played the game too, because.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point, ten of thirteen, one hundred and fifty three yards. Of course, the two touchdown passes and the touchdown run. It is as you mentioned, it is not like the Green Bay Packers defense was bathing themselves in glory.
Speaker 3: No they weren't.
Speaker 2: And you always have the footnote of you know, he's playing against third and four stringers, of course, But every time I start to think that, I remember our, our, our good friend Ton Jolkin, who used to always say, hey, that's the first step. If you can't beat the stiffs, you are a stiff yep, you gotta start somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look like you belong and you start beating up on the guys that are borderline players.
Speaker 2: And Drew Aller looked like he belonged and was beaten up on some borderline players.
Speaker 3: To a degree I never would have expected to be honest, I thought he was tremendous again, I thought he went through his reads extremely well. Yes, he got a lot of yardage to Wigian on a quick hitter, but if you watch that play, and I do want to watch it again, I was talking to Chris Hallick about this. It looked like the ball was snapped or even pre snap. He's dropping back and I think he wanted to go to a tight end first and even and he got off at number one immediately knowing the slant was there because there was a linebacker that was in his path, so before he even got to the top of his drop. And I need to think about the play again. I can't remember for he's a shotgun or not, but it really became decision time. It was not late in the down at all. And by the way, his time to throw was very low. You think of him being a big arm run around. It was quick, quick, quick, quick, quick, and he still got to his second read hits wigion and stride. He did the rest, of course, and we'll talk about him a lot, I'm sure too, but it's just a good example of Yeah, it's not real complex route combinations yet either against not real complex defenses, of course, but boom, he's really crisp, and again his time to throw being as low as it was and still putting up those kind of numbers without nickel and Diamondya was says a lot.
Speaker 2: I think those two matt had the kind of the composure of what you would expect from Mason Rudolph. You know, yeah, you expect Mason Rudolph to be a professional quarterback. He's not gonna be perfect out there, but he's a pro. He's been in this league. He knows what he's doing m and there. And I don't mean this as like a knock to Mason. I mean this is a credit to the two young guys. It was seamless from Mason to those two. Yeah, you had some penalty stuff that we need to talk about, and we will at some point when we get into some of the things you want to see cleaned up from Thursday night. But when you break that penalty stuff down, of like the eleven penalties, I think six or seven were on special teams.
Speaker 3: I say a lot. We're on special teams and they were early.
Speaker 2: And two were on Troy Foultanu early. It's not like it was procedural stuff. It's not like they were delayed couldn't get illegal because guys were lined up in the in the wrong spot. I really like that, like Howard and Aller had the same kind of cut of their jib in the same kind of operation as the guy who's been in this league for a decade as a backup and his professional and knows what he's doing. And that gets back to your your beginning point, which again I think is a really good one of Michael McCarthy knows what he's doing for quarterbacks and.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure Aaron Rodgers had some influence on that too. I think you see him coaching on that right.
Speaker 2: He certainly did, and you love to see that. And I think he even might have had a headset in or was involved with some of that stuff at different points.
Speaker 3: But for command, I mean they were in control.
Speaker 2: Good word to use, command control, comfortable professional quarterback play byes.
Speaker 3: You have officially signed. So the press conference must be over.
Speaker 2: Yes, it has, And in fact, I think our buddy Brian Becke of this radio network and of course Steelers dot Com just sent me some audio of the Keanu Benton press conference. So get a lot of different things going on today. But I think you have to be excited about that quarterback play. Now, I've seen some of this already, Matt. I've seen the Will Howard Drew Aller civil war starting on social media.
Speaker 3: And you know, you have to love one and hate the other.
Speaker 2: That's how it works in modern day sports. Right, one's the goat and the other is a bum. And I also too, you know, I always tell you this.
Speaker 3: Someone sent me a tweet after the game, like, do you know who Aler's picking for his Hall of Fame inductee yet?
Speaker 2: To who's he gonna have to give his speech?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Did he yet? That's funny?
Speaker 2: And I also I always tell you this. I a lot of times I have to take the foot off the gas when I try and gauge the consensus of the public off of social media, because social media is not the real world. Twitter and X and Instagram and Facebook and TikTok and all that is not the real world. But I I understand the hype. I want to see it continue to grow. And I think this is it's it's a good starting point.
Speaker 3: That especially a tremendous start.
Speaker 2: Tremendous starting. Yeah, it doesn't mean that both of those guys are capable and you're ready to get rid of Mason Rudolph. It doesn't mean that both of those guys can be a franchise type quarterback and all of a sudden we can close the book on potentially taking one in the first round next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't need do we need to stop the on campus segment quite yet, But what.
Speaker 2: It does matter is it also leaves all those doors wide open for opportunity.
Speaker 3: They're more open. I mean every day. Again, I always say, in this world, you're you stop swimming like a shark, you die, you know, so every day your value either goes up down or stay the same or whatever. But it's not monotonous. Over the price exactly and clearly one game and I don't think we even need the preface that first game, the preseason, and we know all those things. But you know, I'm not saying put them in Canton yet. But I'm even more open to you know what Jerry Doulak has been saying. I can understand a reason now you'd keep four, you know, I mean a little bit better than I did three days ago, you know what I mean. It doesn't mean I'm voting for that, but all these things are fluid, all right.
Speaker 2: But do you think Drew Aller will be first ballot or will they make them wait a couple of years, or that.
Speaker 3: He'll prove the wait a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you ever seen the movie Finding Nemo?
Speaker 3: Of course, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.
Speaker 2: Just keep swimming. I want to see those two young quarterbacks do some more swimming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they a lot more swimming.
Speaker 2: A couple more practices out here, and then of course another preseason opportunity Friday night against the Jets. We got to talk about some of these running backs. We've got to talk about some of these wide receivers, particularly two rookie ones. We've got to talk, unfortunately about some of those penalty issues that we saw. Plenty more to get into from that Steelers preseason game on Thursday night, of course, a twenty eight to nine win over at the Green Bay Packers, and will continue to dissect that thing as we roll along here in our number two of the show, West Sheeler Matt Williamson, It is the Dry Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is live coverage Jumped down twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light Easy to drink easy to enjoy and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before you dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold score. In twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by Iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, we build it.
Speaker 2: So obviously Matt and I are starting to plan out the route for the Steelers' Super Bowl parade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all these guys are the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: After that Thursday night victory against the Packers, our lime green line painting buddy, by the way, to give you all update is he did pretty well, Matt, far side of the field looks pretty.
Speaker 3: Good, looks like a successful mission.
Speaker 2: I think they're bringing them over to the Varsity field or now to see if he can continue his good work. So we'll continue to keep an eye on all things.
Speaker 3: Do they ever put numbers on that third field? I don't think they do. Right.
Speaker 2: I feel like they do it like the start of camp, but then they kind of fade quickly.
Speaker 3: Is the only special teams there? They even use it for anything. I can't even remember.
Speaker 2: They use it for some special team stuff because there is the one field goal post there and.
Speaker 3: It doesn't look like the others by the way that bothers me.
Speaker 2: It looks like it looks like I wonder if that's because they probably take it down I would imagine after I'm sure after camp.
Speaker 3: But it's taller and it's an h instead of you know.
Speaker 2: It is it's the it's the classic instead of uh.
Speaker 3: You can smash into it if you go exactly.
Speaker 2: There's the two there's the two uh, the two legs instead of just the one sexually located.
Speaker 3: And it's extra tall.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is extra tall right now. That's definitely got to be a training camp thing. I can't imagine they keep no.
Speaker 3: I bet that doesn't stay there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, the far field, Matt, I think gets used for special team stuff like you mentioned it. Also, you know, sometimes you'll see like the Jalen Ramsey's of the world over there doing something. Yeah, that's work and things like that, but it is, it's man, the field's looking very good condition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do for where we're at in training camp, Layton camp here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, without a doubt. Matt continuing to react to the Steelers twenty eight to nine preseason victory against the Packers. And we got to talk a little bit here, certainly about those rookie wide receivers Jeremy but norst Off.
Speaker 3: I thought the whole rookie class was shown really well. And you didn't even get to see the first pick, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you mentioned that because Noahkowski probably deserves a shout ever in there to Everett certain Rubio.
Speaker 3: Rubio, Yeah, yeah, he's a dude.
Speaker 2: He is. He one of the more surprising guys that has ever considered.
Speaker 3: I know who he was and confiding out about him when he get drafted.
Speaker 2: When the Steelers drafted Rubio, and Matt Williamson goes, who, Yeah, that's and he's not in the beast our buddy Dane.
Speaker 3: Brugler a NFL dot commyn I have a picture of the guy. He's a defensive tackle from Notre Dame. He's not from Alcorn State. You know, you'd think you'd have at least a picture of the dude.
Speaker 2: Was Gab Rubio from sam Houston State, staying with he went the Notre stinking Dame here. I mean, come on, but you're right, the whole rookie class deserves a shout out. But man, I was really.
Speaker 3: There's no such sleepers anymore. But like that's a sleeper, like if not anyone the whole media knows who he is and found somebody.
Speaker 2: In the modern era, a guy from Notre Dame that nobody knows who he is. That's his nuts, that's nuts.
Speaker 3: That's just they probably have like two first round pick, you know, defensive tackles. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, the next stuff on to it or somebody like that. It's gonna, you know, go in the top fifty here in the next year or so.
Speaker 3: Like when they drafted Kevin Dotson, I thought he kind of was that mold too, Like nobody was talking about him. He didn't have a Combine invite. It was a smaller school guy in his guard, you know. I mean, you can still find some information.
Speaker 2: On dude crazy. But uh, good on Rubio for making everybody kind of uh pay attention to notice. Yeah, take some notice now, certainly, And we were noticing those rookie wide receivers. Matt Absolutely, we saw a lot of jermy early on five targets, four receptions, fifty one yards. He had a explosive that he kind of created on his own, broke a couple of tackles on the sideline there and ended up taking what was probably a what a seven or eight yard gain and turning it into a twenty five yard gain. And then speaking of taking a short gain and taking it along, how about Legion Two receptions for seventy nine yards, including that explosive seventy four yard.
Speaker 3: Let's start with Weigen. I guess we didn't get to see him do a lot in the return game.
Speaker 2: I should have mentioned that. I mean, he had a couple opportunities, but no, really green grass situation.
Speaker 3: And that's the nature of the beast with that, you know. I mean, so I'm sure we'll get we'll see plenty of that going forward. But that made me wonder if the day they drafted him, did they have offense in mind as well, because we all assumed he was just returner only, and I'm like, man fourth round pick for a returner owner, he better beat Devin Hester, you know, And no, one's going to.
Speaker 2: At least Dante hall Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm like, well, that's not a very good draft class. It was a need. It kind of kills two birds, Okay, but I don't think he's ever gonna play offense. And you see some of it out there, you know, out on the field here, and then I think, you know, I don't want him to be a dree archer gadget only offense guy.
Speaker 2: That everyone knows what's coming with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but my hunch is just seeing his usage and as much as he did play and how they use them, they might foresee him being you know, a real wide receiver in time. He needs some work, of course, but he obviously has the speed and agility and body control and by all accounts he's a hard worker and smart and typical Iowa guy and all that kind of stuff. Maybe they think a year from now he could be your third receiver or I mean, so maybe at least open the idea that he's not just a returner in.
Speaker 2: Their eyes, which is what we're hoping for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be great if or he can do if.
Speaker 2: He ends up being a high level returner, outstanding, right, But if he can do that and contribute to the wide receiver room. Then you really start to live up to that fourth round billing.
Speaker 3: Because you know he's gonna be active on game day. So heaven forbid Metcalf and Rom and Wilson get hurt in the same game he's out there.
Speaker 2: We've seen those type of scenarios before. It happens, right, it absolutely happens, and so yeah, that that play listen again, it's you have to kind of I don't even know if grain assaults the right word, but just context. It was not the greatest defense from the Green Bay Packers, but that's what you're supposed to do. Wigan. To me on that play, it was like if you give a mouse a cookie, like the Packers gave Weigen a yard and he took a mile, you know, And that's what from those shifty, speedy, twitchy type guys, when given an opportunity like that, that's what you want to see him do. And Matt, you know, he ends up getting tackled at like the two yard line, but yeah, when he broke away from that initial wave, it was almost like, as I mentioned, I would have kind of been expecting Drew Aller Will Howard to like have some nerves have some just those moments where you kind of lose your mind for half a second. He kind of stumbled over it. It was like he saw, he did, he saw, he saw the clear path of the end zone and almost kind of tripped over his own feet for a second. Was still able though, despite doing that, to take it down into the five yard line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again, I don't think any of us need to question his movements, skills, his speed, his breakaway ability, vision with the football. All those things have been proven in the return game. But if he can develop into a project wide receiver too that is not gimmicky and can give you real snaps there at some point in the next year or two. Great, But at least I'm more open to that.
Speaker 2: Now I am too. And then Jeremy Bernard Matt a good starting point for him. He looked the part in terms of that physicality that you wanted to see with shrugging guys off. Yeah, he was lined up in a few different ways. Four receptions fifty one yards, including like I mentioned that long twenty five yarder. I thought that's a great starting point for him as well.
Speaker 3: It's really easy. I mean, every year draft knicks will compare someone to Deebo Samuel, and it's not fair in terms of just after the catch physicality. And a lot of people mentioned that with Bernard, he's not gonna They're not gonna hand them the ball, and he's not gonna run between the tackles, and he's not two hundred twenty pounds and you know, but he's really good after the catch and is a physical force after the catch, which the nature of these practices, you're not going to see that here. You know, he's not going to run over you know, right, exactly right, but he's hard to get on the ground. He's highly competitive. He's added a little bit of weight since his combine two. He looks stronger, bulkier. I don't think he's lost anything explosive wise whatsoever. Five of Rudolph's eleven targets went to him as the number one. I mean, with the two top guys out, they used him like a number one receiver. And I think that's very telling. And that's not a knock on Roman, but I got to think that there's been a lot more buzz about Roman Wilson than Bernard. Don't forget about this guy, because I think he's the better prospect clearly. I mean, if one of them had to get taken away from the team, I would definitely take Roman off the team before Bernard. I hesitate to say it, but I think he might be the biggest bright spot from this whole game.
Speaker 2: Bernard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, use early in the game a lot on purpose, did a lot on his own, was always where he's supposed to be. I think he's a chance to be pretty good.
Speaker 2: I don't hate that map, but it, Yeah, that might that kind of player of the game.
Speaker 3: I think we gotta throw everyone's gonna throw aler there.
Speaker 2: And I get proper Tanya into the conversation too, and what he was.
Speaker 3: Able to do, okay, because again I've been kind of critical of him. There's been four or five I did a podcast this the other day saying, I hope I'm wrong because there's four or five I've had questions about or I wanted to get challenged more. And Tanya was a perfect example that I'm like, I don't. I hope he just doesn't kind of grandfather didn't do right. Yeah, and boy, he looked like I've done this for a long time and I haven't lost anything. And it's a preseason game. And if you're gonna give me a crease, I'm gonna destroy it. Give me the ball when the times, you know, when uh it matters most, Drive me the football over the middle. Do a little bit after the catch moved. Well, I'm not saying I hated him before anything, but I have less doubts. I mean, if he's your third tight end now, I feel a lot better about it than a couple of days ago. Starting to warm up to that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: You're right, he looked like kind of that that guy who still needs to prove it but also is probably and they're done it been, they're done that past the point of a preseason game. But at his age and where he's kind of been the last couple of years, you still love to see him doing that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure through his eyes, like he's looking at those backup safeties going you're leaning left. I mean, you're it's like playing a poker against you know, rookies. You know, like you have such a towel, Yeah, you have such a towel. And I'm just gonna lean one way and get this open area. And the quarterbacks found him over and over.
Speaker 2: Our buddy Max Starks has this thing that he does where when it's a he calls it the barbecue chicken match up. Sometimes it's like this guy better cook that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And he always does this you gotta you got. He usually does it with offensive lineman, right, bet yeah, and he's like, you know, like Zach Fraser, you better dominate this guy. You need to be licking your fingers barb barbecue chicken. And I was we were laughing about that during one of the breaks during the broadcast where I was like, Max, you think Tanian's lining up every plague barbecue chicken? Yeah, four receptions for sixty one yards and uh.
Speaker 3: And I think he now is like the older brother, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's I think pretty squarely in the drive's sept for that tight end three spot.
Speaker 3: Bell was the other one in the mix, and he did a couple of little things too.
Speaker 2: He did, Yeah, he certainly did. I also liked what we saw from Riley Nowakowski. Matt, you know, didn't get as much use as a lot of these guys, but I always think it's important, you know, him and Aler they had that opportunity to connect on the touchdown pass.
Speaker 3: Probably that's more on Noakowski, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think Noakowski would tell you, and I'm sure he was probably asked about this in the post game and he probably did say I just didn't hear it that I need to catch that. It wasn't a perfect throw from Drew, but it was still within my catch radius. Drew would probably tell you I should have placed it better, but Riley would tell you I still should have caught it.
Speaker 3: I think he makes it. I think he should make that catch eight or nine times out of time.
Speaker 2: But but what I really like is, what was it a drive or two drives later, they have an opportunity again, they link up. He kind of that you know, you make a mistake like that and you could kind of hang your head and oh man, that was my opportunity I could have scored in a preseason game and all that. You get another opportunity, you come good on it. I also liked seeing some of the usage of him and some of those goal line situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I put him in motion before the snap too. I mean, they got a plan for him in a full back.
Speaker 2: In general, we're still I don't want to say early doors, Matt, but a lot can still change between now in final cutdown day. But I think Tanya and Noah Kowski they're in less something drasamtically changes. They're they're making this team.
Speaker 3: I would think so. I would think so, And I'm more comfortab about it now than ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that one, and I your your point about the kind of rookies overall is well taken.
Speaker 3: That whole class, shine man.
Speaker 2: They sure did. They sure did.
Speaker 3: And even I've heard a lot of complaints about the rookie class. Like, Okay, I like some of these players, but no, they we're gonna help him this year. Well that kind of is a good problem, you know, Like Parcels used to have a theory, every rookie I start is a loss. If I start three three rookies, that's lost right of the bat, you know, because they're gonna make a mistake, they just screw something up and you know, right, But like if all those guys keep getting bad, they still showed really really well. I mean, the bottom of the roster I thought did really really well in this game.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on that too. The one guy who would have liked to see a little bit more from was Eli hyden Reich nine carries for twenty one yards, and you and I have discussed this. I just I don't think he's a running back.
Speaker 3: No, I don't want to handle them ball between the tackles.
Speaker 2: And if you do some of that stuff with him occasionally, for sure, fine, But I would like to see him used more in the past game. But he did get some opportunity nine carries for twenty one yards. I just you know, I'm with you. I don't I don't know about him running the ball between the tackles they were doing.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's a jack of all trades. I hope he's not a master of none. Where again, that he could be the Connor Hayward where you're happy he's on the field if you're the defense, just because he's good a lot of things. But where's he really gonna sting me? Here's your nickname? You don't listen to. I mean, I watched the game, so I listened to the chodcast, So I guess I got a kick out of he's a Swiss Army knife, right, but they're calling him the Swiss Navy knife. Navy that that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we saw a lot of middle of the field usage for the offense too, Matt. I know that was exciting for the for the viewing audience.
Speaker 3: Huge. Now that doesn't mean Aaron should throw in the middle. He's been reluctant, and he's been reluctant going back to those Jets days. This offense clearly incorporates much more over the field throwing, and that is extremely encouraging to me, and it's been something that's been lacking for a long time. It's also because the quarterbacks they brought in here aren't big. I'm throwing over the middle of field, and frankly, smartly Tomlin doesn't want Duck to throw over the middle of the field and some of those type of dudes. So I loved it. It's clearly in the playbook. But it's been in the playbook more than we've seen in the past too. I think you're crazy not to embrace it and go deeper into that realm than you did these previous years or Aaron's first year here. But I guess see a couple games the regular season with him throwing, you know, in breaking routes and things like that, that totally buy in because you can call all you want, but especially as quarterbacks have had such success. They're gonna play it their way.
Speaker 2: They absolutely are. Yeah, especially a four time MVP, future Hall of Famer. Yeah, Matt, I do want to get to some concerns in our kind of final segment here of the four o'clock hour. But first, two more names that I think deserve a shout out. Sante Samuel.
Speaker 3: You know, we've been great every step of the way.
Speaker 2: And one of those things with I don't want to say unproven guys because the Sante Samuel's been in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's had his moment, He's.
Speaker 2: Had his moments, certainly, but when there's guys that are kind of the darling of training camp, you want to see him translate it to in stadium right in between. As much happens, it does not always happen, and it happened with a Sante Samuel on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: I love that he seems to get hands on the football every time you watch them.
Speaker 2: You see we've seen that every day out here, and you see it, you see it in the game on Thursday. I love it when the training camp reports, uh translate to in stadium and those opportunities between the white lines and the man. Why a black not a ton of usage. But he was just he was, I thought, blowing people up and UH and was real kind of disruptive there in the middle of UH, in the middle of the defense. I can't wait to see more of the big man doing that.
Speaker 3: I kind of mentioned when we were talking about Porter. Having Samuel as a reserve is a wonderful situation. And Dean does have a checkered history in terms of staying on the field, and Porter currently isn't under a long term contract all those things. I wonder if he's making the staff go. When we're in nickel, do I have to get Samuel out there somehow, or when we're in dime or should we play more dime or you know what I mean? Like, is he one of your best eleven? Is my point? There's he one of your best twelve or thirteen maybe. I mean he's playing to that level. He's playing like an NFL starting quarterback, cornerback. I agree on Black. Looks like he's getting off the ball quicker than last year. He still plays high, which you could get away with when you're that big and strong, especially against backups and whatnot. But he's a force out there. I mean, there's definitely I forget to us. I'm talking with Chris about it, like him and Harmon, and I think Rubio fits this mold now too. They play big. I mean they have big, heavy hands, you know, the hammers, and they they stunn you. They may or may not run the best. They may not be Warren Sap out there with swim moves and you know, rip moves and counters and all those things, but you feel their presence. They eat up a lot of space and they play big, and they have long arms, and they're huge human beings, you know.
Speaker 2: They sure are. And looking forward to seeing more of that. All right, when we return to close down the four o'clock hour, we got to talk about cleaning up some of these penalties, and we also have to talk about where in the world is Carmen san Diego. I mean, where in the world was Caleb Johnson on Thursday night and what's going on with that running back room West Shuler, Matt Williamson. We are live at training camp, Saint Vincent College. It is the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy.
Speaker 3: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by.
Speaker 1: Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. If visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home mixteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in a U your neighborhood Ford store and by the Steelers Pro Shot Visit shop dot Steelers dot Com.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here on campus at Saint Vincent College, reacting to all of the busy news of the day, and of course, the Steelers' first preseason game twenty eight to nine over the Green Bay Packers victorious Thursday night at home at Akershuer Stadium. In Mike McCarthy's debut, I always kind of wonder how that works though, right, Matt, because it was his debut. But then we're gonna say that again at the home opener against the Power. Yeah, it is always funny to me how that works, like where it's Yeah, it's like his debut, it's his first game back home, it's against his old team. But then we'll kind of rehash all that whenever the Atlanta Falcons come to town to start the regular season. But certainly a good start. Matt and I outlined some of the individuals that we were impressed by, also obviously pointing out the fact that you make it out of there without any major injuries, which is always a huge positive. Matt, though there's always some stuff that you want to clean up. Yeah, and didn't love all the penalties that we saw early on. I know a few of them were on special teams. I also understand that is part of the process of knocking off that rust. You're going to have penalties, You're going to have stuff like that. Some of it I can excuse, though some of it I didn't love to see. I think particularly those two holding calls that we saw early on on Troy Faltano.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were two pretty glaring negatives to me in this game. We can with varied amount of degree of concern penalties, and to be fair, a lot of them were early in the game. They were green Bay all of a sudden took a ton of penalties. Late in the game, they only had one penalty in the.
Speaker 2: First I think like eight of the eleven were in the first half or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I also think the O line as a whole did not have a good day, including Falton who including the tackles overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought Dylan Cook struggled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Broderick played a ton and was okay. You know, I mean, there weren't a lot of tackles available with Falton who only playing a small amount and on Shore not playing at all. But I didn't think there were a lot of Now, there were some consistent pressure on quarterbacks, there were some penalties, there were some miscommunication things, and I didn't see a ton of great running lanes either. So I did not think this was a good offensive line game. And clearly it was a penalty problematic game. A couple people have tweeted me this, and I did some homework on it before, you know, I told you I started building Matt's stats months ago.
Speaker 2: I think I know where you're going with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And McCarthy led teams, his Cowboy teams are pretty penalty are pretty highly penalized, and twenty twenty four, just in terms of accepted penalties that they committed Cowboys were the fourth most year before, second most year before that, eighth most year before that, most accepted penalties in the whole league. In twenty twenty one, twenty twenty they were the eleventh most.
Speaker 2: So real quick, So basically his last four years as a head coach, his team was top ten in penalties in the NFL in a bad way, in a bad way. Yeah, And then the year before the last year before that, they were eleventh. So just outside of.
Speaker 3: The top ten, and one of them they were most and one of them are second most. Now that's likely a McCarthy thing. Penalties are a hard thing to judge year to year. I mean, even if you look at Tomlin, Belichick, McCarthy, guys that you know coached for twenty some years, Shula is like one of the only ones. It's like consistently real far one way or the other. Like the Dolphins were always like the lowest penalized team in back of then no mistakes. Now, maybe Dallas's organization just isn't as buttoned up and the type of players they get or Lucy Goose.
Speaker 2: His time with the Packers was much better. Our buddy Ian pointed out, I didn't notice took. His numbers with the Packers were much better than they were in Dallas.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, maybe Jerry and company will just take guys that commit more penalties and they don't have as big a problem with it and they draft that dude, or maybe their guys aren't as smarter as disciplined or blah blah blah. I mean, because it was a stint with the Cowboys, but he's coached one game with the Steelers and penalties were a problem, and penalties were a problem with you as Cowboys, So let's not ignore it, you know.
Speaker 2: I think there's a balance there that we're looking to find. Yeah, and again, I think in your first preseason game there is a level of penalization to just be expected.
Speaker 3: I was just said too. I mean, preseason, you could throw a lot of flags.
Speaker 2: You know, you can throw a lot of flags. The referees I think at times do over flag in preseason just to make sure these guys are learning and talking about it. It feels like a lot of years we freak out like, oh my goodness, they're throwing every time someone touches the quarterback. They're throwing a flag every time someone touches the wide receiver, they're throwing a flag and then it gets dialed down a little bit in the regular season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's always the points of emphasis too, like we're gonna throw a ton of flags.
Speaker 2: On this and that. Yeah, And I think part of that might have been, you know, we saw like a couple like late hit like personal foul if you will.
Speaker 3: I also had a theory watching the first quarter, and Scronic was one of them. I'm like, are these Steelers that were carried over from last year just champion at the bit to hit somebody? Because because usually by this time they've done a lot of hitting and they finally they're allowed to blast somebody. Yeah, that's like I just got to hit somebody. If I get a penalty in the preseason, I don't care. I gotta get out of my system.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of that generally in the first preseason game, but especially when you're.
Speaker 3: Right when you're used to bagging right right right.
Speaker 2: Right, camp Matt. I guess the last piece of this that we need and we'll continue to talk about this.
Speaker 3: Game plenty tons right tomorrow too, but.
Speaker 2: I think the last kind of big headline piece from this game that we have to discuss is has the bell told for Caleb Johnson just two carries for three yards.
Speaker 3: The only way I can imagine it doesn't is if they have a trade in place like today that they just wanted to keep him fresh or make sure he didn't get her. I think Lou Nichols is kind of impressive. I think johnson usage, and going back to everything we've seen really since he's drafted, implies that his seat is red hot. I mean red hot because he doesn't offer anything on special teams. I went and looked Lou Nickel, I mean Lou Nichols. I don't know if he's good or bad on him, but he was near the top of the team in terms of special team snaps played. He played ten, where ten or eleven was like the most anybody played. I don't know if he's good or bad at it, but it makes me think that they have Nichols ahead of Johnson, let alone Homer ahead of Johnson.
Speaker 2: Who I mean, when Homer started the game, I was kind of like, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Was glad they didn't play Warren er Dowdell same. I thought that was really fun.
Speaker 2: If you would have said to me, Warren Daddle aren't gonna play who gets the first carry Caleb Johnson. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, I even joked, I mean, I think last week on this show that I might put a chip down the Caleb Johnson leads the entire NFL in preseason rushing yards, that they might just run him like crazy, Yeah, show us that you're worth it. But maybe they're like, we already know that he's not for us, and I'm not wasting the time on that. I want to see what Nichols and Homer can do. Homer had one bad past block problem too, which isn't usually his thing, but I thought that was noteworthy.
Speaker 2: Caleb Johnson had as many carries as Drew.
Speaker 3: Aller, zero first half snaps, and I think he had five snaps for the whole game.
Speaker 2: Less than Travis Homer, less than Eli hiden Reich, of course, less than Lou Nichols. And hey, maybe it is just been a foregone conclusion with his coaching staff as possible. You know, he's a square peg running back and we're a round whole running system. You know, those top things just happened.
Speaker 3: He was definitely drafted for last year's scheme.
Speaker 2: And it could have just been as simple as that that they don't think he fits what they're trying to do, and this has kind of always been the outcome. But I was surprised. I thought he would have had a much bigger chunk of the pie in preseason, particularly in that first preseason.
Speaker 3: As a junk at all, he got like no pie.
Speaker 2: He got like a couple of little of the crumbs left afterwards. That's about it. They couldn't even give him any breadsticks or garlic knots either. No, no, he got nothing, And so that to me was surprising. Hey, it could always change you on Friday night.
Speaker 3: I think it's talents to the Jets.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's very telling, as you say a lot of times, Matt, these coaches, these gms, these owners, they don't have to come out and tell you exactly how they think. You could just read your tea leaves. You could just follow the cookie crumbs.
Speaker 3: And the thing we always told you guys at Pitt and the all coaches tell you this too is don't take it personally when I coach you hard, take it personally, and worry when no one coaches you at Haul, I got no time for you because I've already written you off very.
Speaker 2: Well stated, and it's it's not a foregone conclusion yet, but it seems like that might be the case with Caleb Johnson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's really swimming upstream at this point. Could you get a six round pick out of him? Someone had to adore him a year ago if he did.
Speaker 2: And they're probably also looking at it right now to cut that guy. Yeah, for free, two hours in the books, another hour ago. You know what that means. To start the five o'clock hour. We will hit the tweets heavy here when we return. You've got questions, comments, concerns, reactions. You know where to get out of Sweatsheler, Matt Williamson. It is the drive excuse me, Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network