Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers, goes beyond sound bites and headlines and looks deeper into the processes, challenges, and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cohne, i lead mutual fund and active Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Investing often involves making forecasts about an uncertain future. Portfolio managers spend enormous amounts of time trying to predict earnings, economic conditions, competitive dynamics, and market sentiment. Yet for many businesses, those outcomes can change quickly, making even the best forecasts difficult to sustain. One way to reduce that uncertainty is to focus on companies whose businesses are inherently more predictable. Firms of occurring revenue, strong customer retention, discipline, capital allocation, and durable competitive advantages can provide investors with greater confidence and long term cash flows even as markets become more volatile. That doesn't eliminate risk, but it can change where investors choose to take it. Today, I wanted to explore what makes a business truly predictable, why recurring revenue is such an important part of the equation, and how those ideas translate into portfolio construction, security selection, and long term investing. So joining me to discuss that is Joseph Seposnic, portfolio manager of the Rainwater Equity ETF ticker RW. Joseph, thank you for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: David, So you often say that most businesses can't be predicted. What led you to that conclusion and how's it shaped your entire investment philosophy.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to take you back to my start in the industry. I started at Fidelity and I joined out of undergrad. I went to Berkeley for undergrad and I came to Boston and my boss said, you're from California, so you must know something about semiconductors. So they gave me research coverage of the semiconductor industry back in two thousand and five, small cap semiconductor businesses. Those businesses are not the businesses of today, which are great businesses with lots of customers, tremendous demand, and a very bright outlook for the future. Back then, they were very small companies with just a couple of customers, and they were kind of going in and out of business. And I had I had research coverage of these small, small companies and they were very unpredictable. I can remember I hosted a company of a I hosted a meeting with the CFO of a small chip company supplying chips to the flat tanel display market, and he was talking about how great his business was and how everything was going well, and they had they had approximately three customers at the time, So we had the meeting. A couple of days later, they reported quarterly results and the stock went down sixty percent in one day. And all I can say is I was very happy that I didn't recommend that business, but I was also shocked into paying attention and trying to understand what could make businesses not have that outcome occur, What could help me as an analyst understand the types of businesses that are susceptible to being crushed and broken in the way that company was crushed and broken just a couple of days after my meeting and update with the CFO. So I had research coverage of semiconductors at the time, and then I was given research coverage of software businesses a year or two later. I found those businesses to be somewhat better businesses and more predictable, but that memory always stuck with me. I joined TCW a couple of years after that, and I was given research coverage of another cyclical sector, the industrial or chemical sector, and I had to grapple with this same issues cyclicality cash flows that were all over the place, difficult to predict, sector and in market. In the course of studying businesses in the industrial space, I came across a Maverick CEO who transformed his traditional industrial company it was called Roper Industries now called Roper Technologies, from a traditional pumps and valves, meat and potato semi business into a business that had some recurring revenue healthcare associated with it. They acquired these businesses and then he took another step to acquiring a freight matching software business, so kind of a hybrid between industrials and software, and then progressively into software, transitioning this cyclical industrial business into a more recurring revenue software and services company. And that stock was one of the best performing businesses in the industrial sector for the time period that I'd covered industrials at tc WE, approximately eight years, eight years or ten years or something like that. So these experiences and my discussions with him really influenced my style as an analyst, and I began to gravitate to more predictable businesses. Oh you know, I think one other experience also was very certainly shaped me. I looked at performance of Nvidia in twenty twenty two, not that long ago, just four years ago, and in twenty twenty two, Nvidia's insiders sold several hundred million dollars worth of stock as the stock declined about fifty percent that year. They were coming off demand that was falling off on kind of an overbuild of the bitcoin complex, and so they were taking it. In twenty twenty two, one year later, and videos shares were up tenfold, tenfold. So management had been selling hundreds of millions of dollars of shares as the stock declined fifty percent in twenty two, and in twenty three the stock was up tenfold. The smartest management team in the world, or at least one of them, couldn't foresee where its stock would be just one year later. It was a reminder to me and to many others that this business is very difficult, and predicting where most businesses will be is a very very difficult approach. In twenty fifteen, taking all of my learnings as an analyst and my evolution as an investor. We launched a fund at TCW which focused on investing only in predictable businesses. We called it Predictable Growth Businesses, and over that nine year period of managing it, we found that this approach could generate really, really strong returns for investors and do that in a very risk controlled way. Our thesis was, if you invest in businesses where the business model itself is geared toward recurring revenue sources, management is more likely to manage this business in a way to where they can accurately match expenses to revenue and they can appropriately put together a capital structure for the business because they can kind of see where revenue and cash flows will be over the next couple of years. So inherently the business is less prone to being disrupted and it's less prone to having management mismanage expenses or the balance sheet. We also found that these businesses, because of their inherent characteristics, were easier for us to value. It was harder for us to screw up. Valuing businesses where you could see the cash flows over the next couple of years, you could more accurately forecast what the businesses should be valued at and they therefore make an investment conclusion. And so these businesses had these inherent advantages. I think that the last advantage that we identified is that recurring revenue businesses give the management team the ability to play offense in a way that most companies can't. When you know where your cash flows will be over the next couple of years, it gives you the confidence to make investment decisions in your business, maybe more aggressively, and to make inquisitions of synergistic businesses that can help you both improve the moat that you've that you've built with your company and maybe expand your moat into the future as well. So those were some of the advantages that we see with recurring revenue businesses. And you know, there was a an update to the famous Hendred Best in Binders study that came out a couple of days ago, which I think is also important to point out. Obviously it's a very famous study by Best in Binder And you know, a couple of the conclusions were, number one, four percent of all stocks generate all of the markets returns in excess of the of the of I think the tenure treasury. That's one of the interesting conclusions. But I think the second interesting conclusion is he looked at and I think we could post this of course, or share this with you. He looked at the stocks over the last one hundred years that had the highest cumulative returns compounded returns, and if you look at the top three, they happen to be Altria, Vulcan Materials in Kansas City, Southern All three businesses compounded at sixteen and a half percent, fourteen percent, and fourteen percent over very long stretches of time one hundred years, one hundred years, and ninety six years. And all three of these businesses have substantial amounts of recurring revenue associated with them. So it's an approach that I think has been tested over time, but there hasn't been a strategy that has exclusively focused on only investing in recurring revenue companies.
Speaker 1: So if we go deeper, how do you actually define recurring revenue? You know? In other words, you know what truly separates a recurring revenue from a company that just simply appears stable.
Speaker 2: We bucket recurring revenue businesses into two categories. Number one, the traditional subscription recurring revenue company. There's a subscription associated with their business. That would be a business like Bloomberg, business like Netflix, a software business that has substantial maintenance associated with the product. That's the traditional definition of what a recurring revenue business is. The second type of recurring revenue business is what we would describe it as transactional recurring and transactional recurring businesses would be a credit bureau where there are only three credit bureaus in the United States and all of the economic activity in the United States essentially goes through those three credit bureaus. It's transactional because alums will fluctuate based on economic activity, but it's recurring because there are only three pipes, and if you want to get an answer, you've got to go generally to two out of three every time, and sometimes three out of three to get a decision. You could think of the ratings agency businesses in the same way. You could think of the aftermarket aerospace parts industry as a similar analog. You sell the original equipment part to Boeing or air Bus, and then the plane flies for thirty years, and you're the sole source provider of the replacement part, so as activity keeps going over the years. The airlines, the airline operators and the airlines have to come to you for that specific part and they can't go anywhere else. Those are the the two categories of businesses that we focus on that can also take the form of local monopolies. Is you could think of the waste collection waste management businesses that have local monopolies as being very very recurring, revenue oriented businesses. And I think a great example on the aftermarket aerospace parts industry is if you think of a very basic part on a plane, The most basic part of the plane, I would say, is the seat belt, and the next time you're flying, if you flip open to the back of your seat belt, you'll see that the provider of the seat belt is a company called Amsafe. Amsafe has been making seatbelts for many, many decades, and it was acquired by a company that is in our portfolio called Transdime. You would think that a seatbelt is a pretty i don't know, regular part on a plane that you could replace pretty easily, not particularly expensive, but it happens to be because of the way we regulate air travel, quite a established position and one that is difficult. It is very difficult to replace am safe position in the seatbelt market. The reason for that is that the seat belt needs to be certified with the FAA, the seat belt with the type of seat or the seat manufacturer, of which there are a couple, they have to be certified in a system, and the seat the seat I'm sorry, the seat belt, the seat itself and the position of the seat on the plane also has to be certified as well. So the cost of re certifying a seat belt is incredibly high. So amsafe has a very strong position on planes and has the ability or has substantial pricing power because of the way we regulate parts on planes and travel today. So as you can imagine if you look at other parts on a plane, they are also to the extent that they are sole sourced and proprietary. They have really really strong long term businesses and very very strong pricing power and not surprisingly, very very strong recurring revenue for many, many years. That's the type of business and type of part that we really like.
Speaker 1: So when you're finding these businesses, what other characteristics do you look at that basically have to be present before it makes it into your fund.
Speaker 2: Well, we only invest, as we talked about, in recurring revenue businesses that generate substantial free cash flow and have a dominant market position. The businesses have to be selling a critical part or service, critical product or service, so you won't see us invest in any discretionary businesses. Generally we avoid consumer facing businesses, and so we're trying to build this durable compounder of free cash flow that over time will create a snowball of free cash flow which physically moves the value of stocks and the underlying portfolio forward over time. Our view is that stocks are driven at the end of the day by the free cash flow that they generate, and our view of free cash flow is what physically moves stock prices. It isn't revenue, it isn't earnings, it's not but at the end of the day, it's the free cash flow that the company generates. And so we're looking for businesses that sell something that's very important to the customer, have very very few competitors, and generate substantial amounts of free cash flow. The second element of what we look for is we really believe that management is incredibly important. I remember when I was at Fidelity, it was strongly emphasized to us as young analysts to stay close to our companies, and we spend a lot of time talking to management. And what I've found over the years is that being aligned with great management is as important as being aligned with a great business. I found that bad management can ruin a great business, and that great management can enhance even an average business. So for us, when we think about management and assessing management, we're looking for a couple of key elements. And I think that these elements are relatively underappreciated because a lot of people say, oh, we look for great management. But for us, we go back to a quote that Warren Buffett gave in a talk that he gave to the University of Omaha, I think in the early eighties, where he said when he's when he's analyzing or assessing a management team, he said he's looking for one word, a fanatic. And when we assess management and management teams, we are looking for fanatics. Fanatics for us, I mean individuals or teams that are committed to their business. They're not just mercenaries. This business is a part of their life. It's a part of their psyche, it's a part of their makeup. And so when we meet with them, we're trying to understand is this business just something that they work on because it generates a nice stream of income for them, or is this business something that is really important to them and they are fanatical about it. One of the ways you can determine that is obviously looking at the track record, which we spend a lot of time looking at the track records of management teams, but we spend a lot of time meeting with them to try to understand that are they a fanatic. The second element that we look for, to the extent that we can determine that they are fanatics is do they have the right incentives in place to create shareholder value over time? And of course all management teams have incentives in place. Many management teams are highly compensated. But the question is is the compensation are the compensation metrics that have been laid out for the management team consistent with creating value for shareholders and for and for customers and and UH and for employees. And we find very often that the metrics that are laid out in the proxy really don't have a great deal of connection to creating shareholder value over time. In other words, there are very often UH in the types of businesses that we look for management is incentivized to grow revenue, maybe even to grow profit. But if there isn't a connection between growing revenue and generating higher returns on capital or compounding free cash flow over time, what you'll see is companies acquire revenue maybe in products which create revenue growth, but not a lot of profit or cash flow growth, and over time, those companies don't create as much value as companies that can link revenue, free cash flow, and returns together to create an incentive structure that incentivizes the management team to balance those elements and hopefully improve and grow them over time. And we think the growth of cash flow and return on invested capital and the top line is the combination that really is beneficial to the company and to shareholders. And the third element that we look for when we assess a management team is their capital allocation track record. Because we invest in these durable, recurring, revenue, cash generative companies, it's really important that the management teams have the capability of being great CEO investors, as we call them. Are they great investors because they're generating all of this cash flow and are they investing that well? You know, today a lot of people are asking that question of Microsoft, in Amazon, and Google, the great hyperscalers of our time. They generate enormous, enormous operating cash flow, and the management teams today are allocating that enormous sum of freak or operating cash flow to building out their presence in AI, their presence in the cloud. And the question is will those companies generate sufficient returns on the hundreds of billions of dollars of capex that they're investing in just this year. And so it's very important as we assess our management teams to be aligned with great investor management teams who have a capability have a track record and a capability of being able to reinvest the free cash or that they generate into projects or capital investments that will create more cash flow for investors over time. So that's generally what we're looking for in businesses. And then once we found these businesses, we like to hold on to the winners for a long period of time. We've found that there's a significant amount of persistence for winning stocks, and because of that, we try to hold on to these businesses for many, many years.
Speaker 1: I do want to go back to cash flow for just a minute. You know, many growth managers focus on revenue growth. You know, you're obviously focusing on cash flow growth. Why do you think cashflow is actually, you know, ultimately the better north star in terms of growth.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that at the end of the day, the value of your business is the are the future cash flows that you will generate out into the out into perpetuity, discounted back to the present. I wouldn't place free cash flow as the driving factor for each business at different places in its maturation cycle. Obviously, early stage businesses must generate revenue and the cash flow hopefully will come over time. But for the types of businesses that we focus on, the companies I would say that have already won, they should be in the mode of generating cash flow and either returning that cash flow back to investors, which we generally don't favor, or doing something with that with that cash flow, which will be quite productive. I would also say that cash flow, unlike many of the other metrics that you cite revenues, EBITDA, earnings, adjusted earnings adjusted EBITDA, all of these adjusted adjusted metrics that management likes to put in front of us, cash flow is not adjusted. Cash Flow is just cash flow and It's one of the purer measures of how a business is performing and whether it's creating any value at all. Many businesses, or some businesses that don't generate much in the way of cash flow and don't generate much in the way of growth, you know, you kind of wonder what is going on there. But the businesses that do generate a lot of growth and generate a substantial matter of cash flow and reinvest that cash flow effectively are businesses that are going to create a lot of value for investors, particularly if they can continue to grow and make great investments with their capital.
Speaker 1: You know another thing, I note your website frequently mentions fewer surprises. Do you think or do you believe avoiding negative surprises is ultimately more important than finding the next big growth company.
Speaker 2: I think they're both very, very important. When I was running the old fund, I talked about addition by subtraction. When we look back at, you know, our annual performance, we always think about, could we have made one less mistake that year? And if we had made one less mistake that year, you know, our performance would have been substantially improved. And so what we're trying to deliver for clients is a better better outcome relative to the to the broad market, with risks that are substantially lower than that of an investment in the broad market index. So because of that, we favor these businesses, which, in our experience, generate fewer surprises because they're inherently more predictable and more reliable. And they are generally managed by individuals and teams, which have incentives to constrain the animal spirit, influence or impulses that management teams can have, but also incentivize them to play offense and to grow the business. So hopefully they're not taking excessive with their recurring revenue company, but hopefully they're also incentivized to grow this business and therefore generate a more predictable outcome than most companies will over time.
Speaker 1: Okay, another thing that caught my eyes. You know, your willingness to hold meaningful cast positions when valuations aren't attractive. In today's investment world, you know, managers often feel pressure to stay fully invested. How difficult does it to have that patience?
Speaker 2: Not particularly difficult. We stay very disciplined in looking for the types of businesses that we've historically invested in, and there are times when we see great opportunities, and there are times when we're in between opportunities, and there are times when there aren't a lot of opportunities. Today, we think that there are a substantial amount of opportunities in the recurring revenue area of the market, and valuations today are probably more attractive than they've been in the in the ten years I've been a portfolio manager and operating UH this strategy. So I think there's a lot of opportunity UH in this area of the market. And I think that because the the the AI cycle has captured the attention of so many market participants. What's happened is that the AI associated businesses and and beneficiaries of AI, so kind of tangential beneficiaries of AI, have have generated enormous amounts of earnings growth in the last couple of years and are projected to generate enormous amounts of earnings growth. And that has essentially created this giant move of capital from the more predictable, steady, eddy durable businesses to all the way over to all of these fast growing AI beneficiaries, and that's created a much lower multiple environment for these still durable recurring revenue businesses because all of the capital has rushed to the other side of the market, much like occurred in nineteen ninety nine, when all the capital rushed to one side of the market created lots of value and what people call the anti bubble side of the market. And I think I would not call the current market a bubble, but I would say that the dynamic of capital rushing to one end of the market that's generating a lot of earnings growth right now, but it's uncertain that that will continue, has created a lot of opportunity on the other end of the market'sctrum, and that has made us extremely excited.
Speaker 1: So in your career, obviously you talked about at the beginning, you know, the different sectors you are covering. Is Rainwater fundamentally sector agnostic or are you finding recurring revenue businesses clustering in certain industries or sectors.
Speaker 2: It's both. It's sector agnostic, and we find a lot of clustering. We certainly can go across sectors, and we have, but there are sectors that we have historically found great opportunities in and they inherently have the combination of very very strong business model, very very strong recurring revenue moat and management teams that are really talented at maximizing the opportunity of that particular moat. And so for us, that happens to be in aerospace, where you have these really unusual regulatory barriers, and so we've invested in Gero Space, run by probably the greatest industrial CEO of our time, Larry Kulp, who built Danaher, and he's optimizing a really strong recurring revenue engine business. We've found other great businesses in the aftermarket aerospace parts part of the industry, but we've also invested in totally different parts of the market, like stock exchanges, which are basically a tolling business on economic activity. So we own the Tel Aviv stock Exchange, which we've owned now for a while and has probably been our best performer, and we view that as a royalty on economic activity on it for a particular country. In that country, that happens to be the only stock exchange that operates. Obviously, we have multiple stock exchanges in the US, and so that's an example of a transactional recurring revenue business. Clearly there actually there's both subscription and transaction. You pay subscription to be listed, and then you pay as transactions occur. So it's really a very very beautiful business. So you could think of the industrial sector certainly an area where overrepresented. You can think of some of the other attractive sectors aside from stock exchanges, waste management, as we talked about as a sector that we've liked, railroads, there's certainly a sector that we've liked. Certainly, the data analytics businesses like the credit bureaus have been businesses that we've liked, and all of them have the characteristics that fit this unique approach that we followed for a while.
Speaker 1: I just want to move on to valuation for a few minutes. You had mentioned the recurring revenue businesses make it easier to look at valuations. You know, I think a lot of investors worry about paying already or forty times earnings for quality compounders. How do you determine when a great business has become too expensive or you know? Or is it ever? Can they become too expensive?
Speaker 2: Well? I think that the evidence of the last couple of years in the software industry points to the fact that they can become too expensive, and they can. They can also be a very paranoil like concern that they will be disrupted as they are expensive. So that has been a double whammy, uh to that end of the of the market. But certainly businesses can become too expensive, and we spend a lot of time thinking about that. Generally speaking, if a business is performing well, its management team is continuing to operate as as they said they would, particularly in the area of capital allocation, and the company's market position continues to be strong, we are reluctant to sell out the position purely on valuation. Now, if the valuation becomes extreme, we certainly would would reevaluate the business. But I think the other the other part of the equation or side of the coin is you're always thinking about whether this idea is better than your next best idea, and as you are making those trade outs, as we're making those trade offs, certainly valuation plays a role in helping us determine whether one opportunity is more attractive than the other. But generally speaking, we hang our hat on investing in the really, really durable business that we believe will keep compounding free cash flow, as opposed to hang our hat on a low evaluation in hopes that that will bail us out over time. Generally, we'll lean to the to the first type and less so to the second type. Though of course you're always looking for more value for your dollar and a lower valuation for every unit of compounding that you think you can get.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, if we have this conversation ten years from now, what would happen? What would have to happen for you to say that rain Water was a success? Is it, you know, outperforming or is there kind of a broader objective you're trying to achieve for your investors.
Speaker 2: Well, our objective is to is to change the lives of our investors. So we have today, you know, over a thousand investors we believe in the fund, and hopefully we'll attract more investors, and our our mission is to generate really really strong returns for those investors, as we did in the prior fund, and do that while keeping them out of trouble and ensuring that we managed a portfolio in a responsible way that keeps risk under control. And if we can do that, we think that we can positively impact hopefully thousands and thousands of lives over time, which I think will be incredibly satisfying to all of us on the Rainwater team. It reminds me of the great Will Danoff, a portfolio manager of Contrafund at Fidelity, kept taped on his glass wall outside of his office for all of us analysts to see, and it was a letter that he received from a couple that had just had a newborn and had informed him that they'd started the new born's college fund and had invested in Contrafund in hopes of growing that college fund and preparing for the eventual college experience of their child. And I think about that all the time. And our responsibility is as investors is to do a great job on behalf of our clients. And so in ten years time, our goal is to change many, many thousands of lives and help those people live better lives and hopefully their children have their children live better lives. That I consider it would be a great success for the Rainwater Equity TF definitely.
Speaker 1: And I just have one more question before I let you go. If an investor is listening today and you want them to remember just one thing about your investment philosophy, what would you hope it was.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I think our fundamental belief is that most businesses can't easily be predicted, and therefore let's just invest in the segment of the market that can be predicted. And that segment of the market that we believe can be predicted are businesses that operate a recurring revenue a business model. It could be subscriptions, it could be transactional recurring, it could be a local monopoly. But those types of businesses over time can generate excess returns. And partnering the business model with the fanatic management team together creates a combination that we think is very very powerful and provides investors with an alternative to the broad market indexes which are heavily weighted to a single theme. Obviously he's been a very very powerful theme, but doesn't provide them with a whole lot of diversification. I like our approach because we believe it will generate strong returns over time, but it also presents investors with a way to diversify some of their capital from the broad market indexes that are very concentrated, and presents them with hopefully businesses that will experience fewer disappointments and hopefully solid results over a long period of time.
Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately we need to end here, but this is great Joseph, thank you again for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me was so much fun, and.
Speaker 1: I also want to thank our listeners. If you like the episode, please share it, subscribe and leave a review. And if you'd like to see more of our research on the terminal, go to bifund, Go for US Fund and Active Research until our next episode. This is David Cone inside Active Old Tom