Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decide to drop into the show. Now here's your host, Paul Chargian.
Speaker 1: It's a very special edition of Fantasy Football Weekly featuring Scott Fish.
Speaker 3: Hey, buddy, Hey, how's it going good.
Speaker 4: We're on the cusp of Scott Fishbowl season. This is number fourteen.
Speaker 3: No, number fourteen.
Speaker 4: You never would have known.
Speaker 3: No, no, And thirteen years ago, no no, I would things turned into it's it is. It's a monster. It is a monster, it really is.
Speaker 1: So how many people do you have in for this year playing in the Scott Fish Bowl.
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna end up somewhere in the neighborhood of four thousand, God haven'ts And just about forty four thousand signed up.
Speaker 1: Wow, so forty four thousand and signed up. So there was a one in ten chance if you, you.
Speaker 3: Know, applied, I have something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's getting ridiculous.
Speaker 4: It is getting ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's it's become the by far the biggest charity event in fantasy sports. You last year, how much did Fantasy Cares raid two.
Speaker 3: Hundred and seventy eight thousand, And that obviously doesn't include like various things where people do donations to other places in our audi or whatever because they were part of it or whatever. But we brought in two hundred and seventy eight thousand last year.
Speaker 4: That's amazing, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: The guillotine leagues, we've got a we've got a scott Fish Bowl Guillotine League. Now, the way we do it, it's been a fifty dollars entry, one hundred and forty four teams, so we raised seven hundred dollars. Should we move into one hundred dollars an entry and I think then try to raise you fourteen thousand.
Speaker 3: It'd be a lot of money, pretty ny, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yep, tell me who the recipients are, you know who? Where does the money go?
Speaker 3: So the main one we do is well over one hundred thousand to Toys for Tots. We go on shopping trips in twenty thirty cities around the country buying toys for Toys for Tots, so we we can you know, deliver some awesome Christmases. To kids. But we do so much more than that, from food shelves to dog shelters to you know, girls sports, female sports charities, stuff like that. There's just you know, that list is almost endless. I think we help out twenty plus different charities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: I think the one that we do with the Guillotine Leagues is called Best Christmas Ever yep, where they identify families in real need and do a life changing event for them like.
Speaker 4: You know, paying off their mortgage or you know, things like that.
Speaker 1: That's so I believe that's the one that we've used and we'll probably continue to use. And it's nice that we have the autonomy to do that sometimes. You know, some of these are national things, some of them are local things. But it's I think it's great the Fantasy Cares works that way, the uh, the people that and by the way, with the Gaillotine Leagues, if you win, uh, we we have twelve people who get who get automatic entries into the into the Scott Fish Bowl yep. When through the Guillotine League format. So that's one way one way to get to get in. That's one way to get in. So part of what makes this fun as many things that make the scott Fish Bowl fun are the live drafts that started, you know, pretty innocuously in just a handful of cities and is now like in every major city different. How many different cities have got a live scott Fish Bowl draft happening.
Speaker 3: This year, it's thirty three different cities. Wow, six different countries.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we should have gone to like Barcelona, or we should we should have done Why are we doing minneapolises involved? What were we thinking?
Speaker 4: You know, we could be in Saint Martin.
Speaker 3: We had so many options.
Speaker 4: Options, right, and we're in Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it's it's fun. It's fun. It's yeah. You you think of a major city in the US, we're probably doing it. We got uh we got a few internationals, Mexico, Mexico City, London, all those.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I'll be at Minneapolis. Uh. You know this weekend, I'm going to Vegas for a big event at Circa in Vegas and then.
Speaker 4: A big event. Yeah it's event.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the event.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vegas this weekend, Denver the next, Minnesota the next, and then the last weekend I'll be in La Then I will red Eye to Boston for our first attempt at a charity event, like a live gala type of thing.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's talk about the Boston gala. I'll be at the Minneapolis one. I'll be at the Boston, Yes, talk about that one.
Speaker 3: That one's gonna That one's gonna be awesome. There's there's gonna be a whole lot of stuff. Serious XM will be there. I believe NBC Boston will be there at TV station. We'll have lots of people from Paul Me Joe Briant from Football Guys to Fanie Bell, Uh, Lawrence Jackson and Eric Froton from NBC. Jeff Ratcliffe from Serious XM will be hosting live there. They will be on air live there. We'll have drafts, we'll have you know, food and beverage and everything. It's it's a ticket to charity event, but it's well worth the cost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know the you know the ticket is it's a charity event. So you're you're buying a ticket. You get to hang with a bunch of cool people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you'll get to see some drafts happen in person, which is great. Uh So that's the Boston one in particular details at don't go to Fantasy cares for this, right, go to scott fish Bowl for this if you want details.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the best the best way to do is fantasycares dot org slash gala. It's probably the easiest way to do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Fantasy chairs dot org will uh yeah, get slash the right in the right direction.
Speaker 4: For all of this stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, So all this fun stuff happening, which you're gonna hit those four or five cities yourself in person appearances many of these weekends over the next several weekends. I assume they're drafts of the thirty three cities. Many are happening at the same time, same place. You have to just meet up with cool people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know all love fantasy football.
Speaker 3: Yep. I can't get to the mall, but I'm going to one a weekend. Several of us are.
Speaker 4: That's very resource.
Speaker 3: It's it's fun. We've found some people that are going to just like they live in one area. They did the live event one place, and then they're going to a different place the next year, and differently. They're traveling for these which is cool.
Speaker 4: It's almost like groupies following around their favorite fan.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like that.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, every year the scoring system changes. There's there's something different, and you always put a different twist on it, and it breaks people out of how they've been drafted. For those have already been drafting, and a lot of people already have, They've done tons of Best Ball drafts, they might have already done their their rookie drafts.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Because your scoring system is so novel and so unique, you have to really rejigger a lot of your thinking. Yes, tell me about the scoring system you chose for this year.
Speaker 4: What are the highlights?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I mean just first time. Why I changed every year is for I don't like you say, I don't. I don't want like analysts who play or even you know, hardcore drafters to just like auto pilot this thing. Want them to actually think about them. I want them to research. I want people to talk about it. I want I want to make it so the draft is a little chaotic. People wish I would be less crazy with my scoring, but I feel like it's I do very basic stuff that people understand. I just incorporate a few of them or switch it up just enough that you know, it's they understand how to do it, it's just different. So this year we made kick returns a big emphasis because the NFL has changed kickoffs this year, and so we we wanted we didn't want to give it your basic kickoff return scoring because that doesn't it doesn't score much and it doesn't factor and people don't talk about it then, right, So what we did was ten points for a kickoff or punt return touchdown, Oh, touch all right, and then one point for every five yards return. So if you get an eighty yard return, that's a big day, Right, that's a giant day.
Speaker 1: So right now and a lot of times right now, like June as we're speaking, Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 3: Know who the returners are going to know. I mean, we've seen Eckler returning kicks in Washington Camp. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think Carl Darryl Patterson is scheduled.
Speaker 1: It feels like they're trying to find people who can do a little.
Speaker 4: Something in open space right this new format.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're telling me Tyreek Hill might I mean you're not, you're not telling me, but I'm betting Tyreek Hill might go back there. A few times he was a returner in college. I mean, imagine the value add there in drafts.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's it's going to be a different system a right, So we got kick returners. You can identify that running back or wide receiver you might otherwise draft anyway.
Speaker 4: That's also we're going to return kicks.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's pretty cool. Yep. We do have a few things like tiered PPR where running backs get half, wide receivers get one, and tight ends get one point five for the PPR. That's not that's not too crazy. It's just you know, varying between the positions. Tight Ends get an extra point per first down, which you know gives them a boost. But I think the other big thing people really talk about is that I nerved quarterback passing yards made the rushing I mean basically what I did in multiple facets of this is I made more versatile players score more. So the rushing quarterbacks are given a boost because I nerved passing yards to one every fifty yards. So a lot of people think, you know, the top three basic, your basic top three, Lamar, Hurtz, and Alan are all basically top five picks. Now, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so those are the kind of the core four and the only the only position gets points for first downs or tight ends.
Speaker 3: No, they all get half a point. It's just they get the tight ends get one and a half. They get an extra point. Yeah, gotcha, got you?
Speaker 4: Gotcha? All right, Yeah, here's what I want to do. Take quick break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, let's talk about how you think the first part of these drafts are going to go. Let's get into some players that you think can benefit from the scoring system. Stay tuned more Fantasy Football Weekly coming up next. Welcome back Fantasy Football Weekly, Paul Churchian and Scott Scott Fish Bowls. Some draft, number of drafts have already happened. Yeah, are these in? It feels early, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but once I announced the scoring, they I mean people start mock drafting. So people start mock drafting immediately. Yeah, once the scoring gets I bets, it's kind of a big day.
Speaker 4: So let's talk through the.
Speaker 1: First round and see how this first round is really in this format, it's very different. It is zan what you're going to get out of any other draft, the best ball draft, a dynasty draft, or redraft.
Speaker 4: This is very different. Right now, who's the first player.
Speaker 1: Coming off the board in the Scott Fish Bowl scoring system format.
Speaker 3: I would guess I didn't take a quick look at that ADP. Honestly, I would have guessed McCaffrey and then the three rushing quarterbacks, because that's what I've been told out there, is that that is the top four.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you and I were looking at the ADP that says that is not the top four. Okay, well it is, but it's just not in that order.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. See like I, like I said, I wasn't actually looking at it when that question.
Speaker 1: So Josh Allen going first overall? Okay, now that we talked about quarterback passing, so the rushing quarterbacks all have an emphasis here. So Allen is going number one, Jalen Hurts is going three, Lamar Jackson's going four, and you had mentioned you thought they were all going to go early.
Speaker 4: Patrick Mahomes going five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a little bit of a slight surprise. But maybe not. People just believe that last year was his worst year of his career basically, so they must be expecting the bounce back. But I've watched a lot of these mocks unfold, and the four positions really are, like, if you look at the first four rounds are a smattering. They're all over, like the quarterbacks are going later in this format than a normal super flex league, which I kind of like.
Speaker 4: Well not so far. Maybe four of our first five quarterback No.
Speaker 3: No, yes, but you're you're not Like last year ten quarterbacks were adp first round and that that I flipped.
Speaker 1: Yep, so we haven't mentioned position two. That is Christian McCaffrey. Yeah, so Josh Allen and to Christian McCaffrey and to Jalen Hurts into Lamar Jackson into Patrick Mahomes. Pick six comes up and we get our first non quarterback non Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, got a couple of wide receivers. I gave them the full PPR this year. This is probably the first year I didn't like, really weaken the wide receiver position. I've I've always weakened them because their value in almost any league, but definitely in SFB always comes in their depth because you can start seven, So their value has always been in their depth, not their top end in SFB leagues. But this year, this year, I gave them a little bit more credit. So they're they're approaching higher levels on there. I think I think one thing that's that's fun, that's going to come into play is those kick returners like Waivers week one and week two, people are gonna find out return they're going to become flex plays. Your boy, Rashid Shaheed was wide was overall number two twenty seven last year and this twenty seven overall, not wide receiver twenty seven, twenty seven overall. In fact, I think week to last year he had like forty three points. No way. Yeah, oh you.
Speaker 1: Know you and I so we should mention it's a critical part to this year. Yeah, only one running back mandatory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one quarterback, one running back, one wide receiver, one tight end.
Speaker 4: Everybody else.
Speaker 3: Everybody else's flex.
Speaker 4: Including kicker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, including kickicker.
Speaker 1: So that's the You know that that does change a lot of the thinking as well.
Speaker 4: Right, you know I can just go hero running back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, my first pick could be a running back that I think is gonna get a ton of touches, yep, be super safe, and then just abandon that position.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a possibility.
Speaker 3: I think people will do that.
Speaker 1: I think they probably will as well. So we had mentioned pick six two wide receivers then going that's ceed Lamp.
Speaker 3: Then Tyreek Hill makes sense.
Speaker 4: I have no problem with that.
Speaker 3: No, and I think he'll could you know, they might throw Hill back there for the return or two, which.
Speaker 4: It's awesome better. I don't think Ceedee Lamb will do that.
Speaker 3: No, probably not.
Speaker 1: Then eight and nine we're back to quarterback Anthony Richardson because the rushing makes so much sense.
Speaker 4: And then c J.
Speaker 1: Stroud, which surprises me. But he's not gonna help you that way.
Speaker 3: You got to almost be expecting he starts to be come in turn into mahomes too, you know. And and it's not crazy either he's got weapons not I've he's got weapons and his run game is mixing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've got a ticket in my drawer from my last trip to Iowa c J.
Speaker 4: Stroud to win m v P.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, well I'm gonna be in Vegas this week.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you know, the the angle on Stroud to me is he's coming off the best rookie season in the history of the position, or close to it by many metrics, And what if that's not false?
Speaker 4: And what if this?
Speaker 1: What if they all get better in year two with the young receivers, You know the.
Speaker 4: Coaching staff's got another year in the system. What if they that whole Houston offense elevates a whole step from here Now.
Speaker 3: C J.
Speaker 4: Stroud's in the m v P conversation.
Speaker 3: If you've watched him any of his videos talking about preparing for defenses and defensive looks, and especially the once he does what it has done with Michael Parsons, where Michael will be like, we'll shift to this and CJ. Stroud on the dot is like, we'll shift to this, And I'm like, like, that tells me this guy's just got it. Honestly, it just tells me he's got it.
Speaker 1: It was No, that's not a fluke what he did last year. No, but I'm still surprised to see in this scoring system c J. Stroud picked nine.
Speaker 3: Overall, people just love him. I do do, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't know that he matches the scoring system with your out, with your nerved pass.
Speaker 3: I think you're right. I think we'll call it.
Speaker 1: We'll call it a mistake and hope pick ten Breese Hall. I think most people don't realize breshalled the most receptions of any running.
Speaker 3: Back last year. Yeah, that's I did not realize that actually, but it doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's you know what I love about Breese Hall why I'm totally cool with him going here pick ten, even though you only get a half point for running back receptions, but man, that floor, you know there's.
Speaker 3: A lot of first downs too well, yeah.
Speaker 1: Great point, a lot of first downs yep. And even those short even the short receptions can be first downs.
Speaker 4: So I you know, I I love Breesol here.
Speaker 1: Then Bjon Robinson at eleven. Talk to me about Bijon Uh did not catch as many passes as I think a lot of you know, we know we can catch.
Speaker 4: Arthur Smith didn't use him that way.
Speaker 1: No, not a guarantee that he will be used that way here.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think they're just plugging in on volume in an overall better offense, rising tide situation. And people love the young, high potential running back. Whether it's whether it's hit or not, or whether it will hit or not, it's that's always gonna jump ADP.
Speaker 4: It always is all right.
Speaker 1: And the last pick, and this is of the of the first round, I think we can leave it here. We finally get a tight end here. You've got all of these things to help tight ends. Right, I get full point PPR. I know, I get point a half PEP and a half point and half PPR, and I get a half first down a half first outs.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean that is a ten yard first down is four points.
Speaker 4: That's huge, sir.
Speaker 1: You're almost you're you're almost a touchdown scoring just for a first down.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely Salaporta goes here. I feel like he should have already gone.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like you can make a case for a lot of those players, but we we have been seeing like, yeah, those top four or five tight ends will go in the first two to three rounds of three rounds probably of SFB drafts. And that's what that's what I like. That's why I try to make this scoring. I try to make this scoring do that where like, you know, we we got a huge stretch after those first six quarterbacks of no quarterbacks. You know, that's it starts to smatter in all the other positions. It becomes a nice, uh balanced system over the first three rounds.
Speaker 1: So tight end is fascinating this year because yeah, for years now it's been the tight end wasteland and you are like, I can't be picking I can't be the twelfth person to pick a tight end because now I'm starting Tyler Conklins. But this year, because Sam Laporta emerged, because Trey McBride emerged, because Dalton kincaid looks extremely promising, Jake Ferguson looks promising, here comes brock Bauers, who looks like a you know, I don't know, like once a decade opportunity for his upside if that comes together. Many people think Kyle Pitts were finally gonna get the Kylevin year. So now if you do slough tight end, you still might find a little more help than you would get before. Tight End nine off the board, not in your format, just overall, just standard redraft David and Joku, Jake Ferguson is ten.
Speaker 3: TJ.
Speaker 4: Howkinson's not gonna be ready.
Speaker 1: For the start of the season. He's going eleven. Brock Bauer is going twelve. So if you slough it, it's to me, it's not like disaster grade stuff.
Speaker 4: It's a little better.
Speaker 3: It isn't. And the fact you only have to start one and if you slough it and just grab two that you can enterchain. Just play the play the matchups or play the matchups. I mean, we're talking about a scoring system where a four for forty tight end, which is a very common tight end, very yes, like that, like that four for forty could be double digit is likely almost guaranteed to be double digit points. So that's that's kind of what that was meant to do is create a whole bunch of flex opportunities. The returners a whole bunch of more flex opportunities, the kickers a whole bunch more flex opportunity. Like it should insulate you from injury, You should have options all over.
Speaker 1: Would you rather take Sam Laporta, we know he's by ADP and Scott Fish Bowl Draft.
Speaker 4: Sam Laporta's going pick twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Would you rather take Sam Laporta at nine, ten, eleven so you can go get them yep? Or would you rather slough the position and be the twelfth guy to get a tight end so that you're taking Dallas Goddard, Dalton Schultz, Rock Bauers, somebody in that range.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd probably still take.
Speaker 4: Laporta, I think too.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like that back corner for that because it's a third round reversal. It's something we do in fish third round reversal. So if you're at twelve and you grab Laporta and the thirteen you pair him with aman Ra or Jefferson, or if you believe in one of the quarterbacks left, you get another pick in twelve picks like you get two, you get three of the top twenty five picks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a pretty good deal.
Speaker 1: So would you rather what do you think is the perfect draft slot again in your scoring system and working in the third round reverse?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the two best spots in my opinion are four and twelve. Four you are guaranteed one of those top four that everybody seems to feel a consensus, and then you're coming you're coming back the quickest of those four spots, or twelve where you can just knock out three of those top twenty five. And I just feel like it's a year where where that's what I'd rather have some you know, other some other years you might just want to be at the top. And but yeah, this one in three are are I will take? I'll take twelve.
Speaker 1: You can get all kinds of information about Scott Fishbowl fantasycares dot org. Yeah, scott Fishbowl's got its own landing page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, scottfishball dot com for the fishball stuff. Fantasycares dot org. Is it's the charity that SFB is an event part of It's yeah, it's the you go there for you know, that's where you donate where I believe we have a lot of the stuff we're doing up on there, but if not, I should make sure we do before I go to Vegas because there's so many things going on, so many campaigns we're running right now. Yeah, I bet, yeah, I bet. Uh.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. Thanks, it's awesome that you do this.
Speaker 1: It's been fun to I've now known you long enough to see it grow where you're like, yeah, I remember originally you're like, god, we got like, you know, five hundred people.
Speaker 4: I don't think we can grow this thing anymore.
Speaker 3: I know. Yeah, those early years of not thinking we could grow it anymore. But there's such a giant team behind us now that.
Speaker 4: Isn't that nice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it makes all qualified help. Yes, Yeah, that's that makes that makes a big difference.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: All right, Scott fish nice job on this. We're excited to be a part of it. Hopefully we'll see some listeners. Minneapolis listeners in Boston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Minneapolis, can I say it's Yeah, It's at Tom's Watch Bar, downtown Minneapolis, July fourteenth, two pm. Come on down, hang out. There's a bunch of raffle items like Jordan Addison jerseys justin Jefferson Jersey. Like, we have eighty different things up for raffles.
Speaker 2: Ash.
Speaker 4: Wow, I didn't know. So that's super cool.
Speaker 3: Just a ton of stuff. It should be a fun time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I do have one more thing about the Fantasycurist dot org slash Underdog. Go go sign up for the Underdog satellite contest to get into SFB for next year. It's only five dollars, so playing a bunch of them. We just I really really want to fill that thing because it's a big partnership for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, and tip of the hat to Underdog for being such a sponsor and absolutely ye for what you're doing.
Speaker 4: It doesn't surprise me if you know some of the people that I like. I like so many people inside.
Speaker 3: That organ stall the same here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of good people there. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, speaking which, let me just mention elected into the Fantasy Sports Hall of Fame this week Stacy Stern friend for both of us, worked with her on the FSGA board for the better part of twenty years. She's helped legalize fantasy sports in more states and in more ways than anybody else's history the history of the industry, and we're excited to get our first woman into the Fantasy Sports Hall of Fame. Yep, that's that's very cool and she's the right person, so I'm really really excited that.
Speaker 4: That that's going to happen. Her induction ceremony will be in Boston just two.
Speaker 3: Days after the big FSB Boston Gala.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's outstanding, So tip of the hat to Stacy Stern as well.
Speaker 4: All Right, thanks for listening everybody. We'll be back next week with more Fantasy Football Weekly.
Speaker 1: Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.