Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Clubs. This is Mick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: And here we are. It's Brown's Week inside the SWBC podcast studio. A great way to kick off a new season. Producer supreme on top of his games.
Speaker 3: Like they say in the club, it's my jam ah, let's just pause for a moment and take it in.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, memories, memories.
Speaker 5: Bring in my cowboy Joe hat on it.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea, you know. That's the cowboy Joe hats making the round a very popular cap.
Speaker 5: Now these on T shirts and hot shirts.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So, and the Cowboys are headed to where.
Speaker 5: On Cleveland, Huntington Bank. There you can go.
Speaker 2: We are in sync. Here this breaking news from Cleveland. They renamed the stadium the naming rights deal Huntington Bank field Field.
Speaker 5: Okay, I said stadium, it's field.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 2: That's the news from Cleveland. And by the way, as I am, I try to do and it's game week is I try to go behind enemy lines and listen to enemy radio stations, and I guess they're not very fired up about this game because this morning they're talking all Cleveland Guardians baseball, not Cleveland Brown's footballers. They had a big series, and they had a big series against Bobby Witt Junior and the Royals starting tonight. I guess. But I'm sitting here going, okay, give me some insight on the Cleveland Browns, and I got nothing but Cleveland Guardian talk coming in.
Speaker 5: Well, I got one for.
Speaker 4: You, all right.
Speaker 5: I looked at the Cleveland Playing Dealer.
Speaker 2: The newspaper still have a newspaper there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not a lot of writing. It was a lot of podcast stuff. Yeah, you had to listen to. But they're starting less tackle or the one they were counting on, Jederick Wills.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: He had been on pup all training camp because he was recovering from last year's knee surgery. And he has yet to practice and they don't think he's going to be ready to go for at least the paper didn't think he'd be ready to go for Sunday's game. And the Browns are contemplating moving right tackle Conklin a veteran to left tackle, and he hasn't played there since his first two seasons in the league sixty seven total snaps. He's been a right tackle, but he too is returning from a knee injury, and they're worrying about what how are they gonna black Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Conklin only played one game last year at right tackle for the Cleveland Browns. And so as much as we will talk this week about Tyler Geiton versus Miles Garrett right and clan, they're talking about what are they gonna do about Michael Parsons?
Speaker 5: And it just kind of dawned on Meson.
Speaker 6: Let me check on them to see because they've got to have some worries.
Speaker 5: No one starts the.
Speaker 6: Season perfectly, okay, Right, you always have something to worry about. I saw where the Chiefs are starting a rookie left tackle, Kingsley Suma Taya toyay.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, and I get it.
Speaker 5: That's that close enough. Yeah, yeah from b Yu.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're little concern that they got to start a rookie left tackle. And so it's around the league. Everybody's got a concern, right. Uh So, when you were talking about going behind enemy lines, and I saw that. And if it's not Conkling and they want to leave him on the right side, I'm sure you're all familiar with the work of James Hudson, the third because he would be the next alternative.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I'm we are aware of him.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I have two grandsons named James and Hudson.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 5: I think i'll put them out there.
Speaker 4: There there go.
Speaker 2: And he, by the way, was a fourth round pick in twenty twenty one and started seven games last year with Conckland going down. So there's a little teas there on Cleveland on offense. Uh, you don't want to hear about the Cleveland defense though, yes, because this is he was the top defense in the cunt in the league last year. And they've returned basically everybody, and they've added a couple of pieces as well, and so and.
Speaker 4: It starts up front, right, Miles Garrett.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they've got stars at three levels, and you'll love their secondary. They got a guy named Denzel Ward who was the fourth pick in the draft who's a three time Pro Bowler, and Martin Emerson, their other corner is a budding Pro Bowl type player and Grant Delpit and one Thornhill at safety. But the guy that I love, you know, Miles Garrett, is I meanvious, it's obvious. What he's a defensive Player of the Year in the league last year. But it's the joker at the second level, and that is Jeremiah Owusu Coromoa, who the Big Green Notebook loved him coming out a couple of years ago, and he made the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career last year. Number six. You got to watch number six and you got to You've got to be concerned where number six is because he had twenty tackles for loss last season. Wow. And he is bad is a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing about him, the thing about him coming out is he played at Notre Dame and he was a playmaker there too, but he was He's six y two or six one two and twenty pounds. He's kind of a tweener between a safety and a linebacker. But you could just see the instincts and uh. And now they have with Jim Schwartz there, they have figured out how to use him and he is basically playing linebacker and he's playing at a very high level. But he had his ability to blitz. So when you least expected his quickness to get to the backfield, is it just jumps off the screen at you.
Speaker 6: So he's kind of similar to I'm gonna forget the guy's name, the guy that played safety for the Steelers with all that.
Speaker 2: I remember, although he is a linebacker. J Okay is a linebacker, but he's got that he's.
Speaker 6: Only trying to that safety play with your hair on fire. I remember Bill Parcells says, well, the problem with that guy is he doesn't do what he's supposed to do. So how do you prepare for him? He's going to just do something different all the time because he's a football player. So well, you think they're worried that they got to face the number five offense from last year and the number three passing offense from last year, the top quarterback.
Speaker 3: They rather be. That's all I'm saying, I ain't afraid of you. If I'm the cowboy offense, That's what I'm thinking, I ain't afraid of you.
Speaker 4: Matter of fact, they need to be taking a.
Speaker 3: Look at our defense because their offense, from what I recall, they weren't really tearing up the league at all. You know, you've got problems at the quarterback position. Can you tell me what's going on with Deshaun Watson these days?
Speaker 4: Anybody?
Speaker 2: I don't know that they can tell you for sure what's going on Watson.
Speaker 6: They had the sixteenth ranked offense last year, nineteenth passing off That.
Speaker 3: Is impressive compared to what I saw, you know, in because you had to overcome.
Speaker 2: Because they used sixteen different quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Point the fact that they were breaking that highly offensively, that says a lot about them. And they're you know, they're forty two because they decided to move on without him, and they did pretty well.
Speaker 2: I mean when Joe Flacco is sitting on his couch at Thanksgiving, uh, watching football.
Speaker 4: And comes out of an again not again, how we still doing? He had retired yet? No?
Speaker 2: No, he's now with Indianapolis. He got to deal with Indiapolis after letting them to the playoffs last year.
Speaker 4: He's a starter still, No, he's not.
Speaker 2: He's a backup in Indianapolis. Anthony Richardson's the starter. But uh, they got Jamis Winston as they're back up now at Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's good for us, like that.
Speaker 2: I like that, But watching me just six starts last year, and that's you know, that's been a problem for him getting on the field outside of his other problems off the field, which got him to Cleveland in the first place, with a highly lucrative contract guaranteed two hundred and thirty million dollars. And so it'll be interesting to see what the what kind of threat they pose offensively. They led the league in giveaways last year. They were thirty second in the league in turnovers. They coughed it up fourteen times on fumbles and twenty three interceptions last year for a total of thirty seven turnovers last year.
Speaker 3: And once again, the defense had to come to the rescue now many times.
Speaker 2: And the defense though, gave up only two hundred and seventy yards a game, which was the fewests that an NFL team has given up in nine years is going back to twenty fourteen Seahawks, and it was Jim Schwartz his first year as a defensive coordinator there. And we've seen him defenses before other places, namely Philadelphia pretty recently, and they won a Super Bowl with him as the DC there.
Speaker 6: So if you look at it other than the cow Boys, well not other than the Cowboys having to start two rookies on the offensive line. It's kind of basically the same offense, right, It's not like Tony Pollard lit up the league last year running the ball and the Cowboys did score a lot of points, and they do. They might have a better receiving corps together than they had last year. To them, well, I mean, I think Brandon Cooks having been in the offense for an entire year, and the connection they had consistently in training camp. And I'm not just talking about training camp practice. I'm talking about the rams scrimmages.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: He took Ceedee Lambs.
Speaker 6: Spot in those places, in those practices as the number one receiver and they were cooking, by the way, no pun intended. And I think Jalen Tolbert has taken another step, so we'll see what he's about.
Speaker 3: That's probably what you're talking. That's the difference, right, You're saying that he's the difference maker. And because those two guys se d and of course Brandon, they by the end of the right, because they did so well last year.
Speaker 2: It's like people out there doing their fantasy football drafts right now, and I know how much Mickey loves fantasy football. But okay, CD is like one of the top players picked of course. Okay, and then you got Brandon Cooks, who's way down the list. Okay, And you don't see any mention of Jalen Tolbert anywhere and so, but so from a national perspective or even just beyond people that have seen training camp and seen Jalen Tolbert out there, he's not on anybody's radar right now. And so twenty two catches last year, third year in the league and hadn't done much at all, and they're Cowboys are asking him to step up as their three number three wide receiver and then toys Michael Gallop before right and then.
Speaker 4: And that is going to be they see step up. It should be a step up.
Speaker 6: And then they seem really intent on getting the ball to Cavante Turpin as a receiver and putting him in the slot in different situations, handing him the ball, throwing him the ball down the field. I just think that presents the problems. And remember they also have a Pro Bowl tight end in Ferguson.
Speaker 3: That's the difference maker for me this year. They already know about our wide receivers. They already know about Cooks. You say Cooks might be a little further down. I always looked at Cooks as one of the top receivers in the league because of his diversity.
Speaker 4: He can go to any team and get a thousand yards and.
Speaker 2: He's basically done that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so that's why I look at him as a little bit higher up in regards to his respectability. When you're talking about Tobe, that's the that's the X factor to me. But Ferguson is the man. He is no longer an X factor to me. He is a consistent player. Pobo and H just one of those guys that can not only catch, but he can also block.
Speaker 5: Right and better than his rookie year.
Speaker 6: And and I would imagine they will use a lot of two tight end formations. H Scoon Maker, I think is on his way. We got to see it yet in real games.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: But he's not a bad blocker either. And one of the reasons why they ended up keeping the rookie free agent Ren Ford. I got to get the name straight, not Ford, span right.
Speaker 5: Uh. He's a pretty good blocker himself.
Speaker 2: And and I.
Speaker 5: Finally kind of ran across him out of uniform. He's a big dude.
Speaker 6: I mean he's stout, so one of the next to you what are you saying, everybody.
Speaker 5: When he's next to everybody else.
Speaker 2: He is six six and a half two hundred and sixty pounds.
Speaker 6: That's a big dude, right, And uh, he's a pretty good blocker, and there's a reason why they kept him as the fourth tight end. So, uh, that tight end group adds to what this offense can do.
Speaker 2: And we were here after the cutdowns last last week, but that's one of the things that the tight end position. The Cowboys made the decision to trade Peyton Hendershot to Kansas City and keep these young tight ends behind Jake first.
Speaker 6: And one of the things that I found out about Hendershot he had lost a lot of weight for some reason, and he wasn't.
Speaker 5: Looking like a blocking tight end to help.
Speaker 2: So you can understand why Kansas City was interested in him as a receiving tight end.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they can get him downfield. By the way, they were no longer interested in Eric Scott.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't last long there.
Speaker 6: He didn't last a week after they claimed him on waivers after the Cowboys let him go.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what this is really going to be a really nice matchup. It is because you're talking about even though they've got a lot of giveaways offensively talking about the Cleveland Browns. You know you got Jerry Judy just got there and the tight end that I really like also just as much as I like I was as juco is that how you say his name? And Juko uh With and jojoku In Joeku and that guy I saw him a couple of years ago and you knew he was going to be a stud.
Speaker 4: So yeah, very impressive.
Speaker 3: We've got some good matchups digs and the guys versus their wide receivers a Marii Cooper, you know, a guy that I still miss to this day as much as I was missing Zeke Elliott un till he came back.
Speaker 4: So this is gonna be a good matchup for our secondary.
Speaker 6: And by the way, they're starting running backs out too, right, So who's the next guy up?
Speaker 2: Jerome Ford would be your starting running back. He started twelve games last year. Chubb of course, only played two games last year, and so Jerome Ford is the guy. They've also got Deontay Foreman on their roster as well as Pierre Strong, so.
Speaker 6: The running back rooms are about yeah, because everybody's worried about the cowboys running back room, and I'll be interested to see how they how they hand out the snaps at that position.
Speaker 5: Don't sell Zeke short. I'm just telling you.
Speaker 2: I'm just going back to Ohio.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yes, good, good one.
Speaker 5: So I think he's got something and not many picks.
Speaker 2: Early picked to click. I gets the number one rush defense, that's right, the history of.
Speaker 5: I might I might go defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll bet, I'll bet. But you know the thing about.
Speaker 3: Zeke, his his uh, his usefulness is the fact that he can get those tough one yard advance, you know, tough.
Speaker 2: Well, there's going to be a lot of those. Yeah, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's my whole point. I don't mean on first and ten. I mean like thirty two. Okay, I'm not second and two.
Speaker 2: That's like that's the old you want to tell the.
Speaker 6: Story, Grison Garrison story, And.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I can get it right.
Speaker 4: It's like Dadie.
Speaker 2: Done was about walk Garrison said, if it's third and two, he'll get you three. If it's third and ten, he'll get you three.
Speaker 8: Oh God, God rest.
Speaker 2: His So Yeah, all right, just getting started on this edition of Mixed Shots. I want to know what happened on Labor Day because a work day here at the Star in Frisco, and we come back on Mixed Shots in just a moment.
Speaker 5: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape. The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 2: Miller Lte is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 9: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Mashine Legal guy. Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams cards for twelve ounces, fewer cows and cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Lay Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real hass Avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouthwatering and verse sol products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or Deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 2: The press stout who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll love full a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands since twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot com to mixed shots.
Speaker 3: Rally Days presented by seat Geek give NFL fans and experience of a lifetime the day prior to Dallas Cowboys home games on September fourteenth and Joe activities at Miller Lighthouse and get a behind the scenes tour of at and T Stadium and more. Visit at and T Stadium dot com Slash Rally Days for more information and to get your tickets today.
Speaker 4: How's that?
Speaker 5: I'm ready for Savannah in Dallas pipe in Please judge.
Speaker 4: Your release come back.
Speaker 3: It wasn't exciting now now it's exciting. It's an event now because you don't know how I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: So that's September fourteenth. That's the day before the home opener against We talk a lot about the season opener, but the home opener is against the New Orleans Saints. All Right, back to back home games on Sunday September fifteenth and Sunday September twenty second. You got the Saints followed by the Ravens. So just looking at the first three games here on a Thursday, right, No, Thursday would be the next week.
Speaker 5: That's Jacks, I'm ahead of myself.
Speaker 2: Let's go look at the first three games, okay, okay, And you get the next two at home against New Orleans and Baltimore and this Cleveland game. How tough is that that start to the season. Pretty tough start, yeah, And how important is it to get off on the right foot in Cleveland?
Speaker 6: And you're thinking that because you've got so many young guys, you're depending on some of them playing their first NFL games or starting their first NFL games. This team can get better as you go along. You just don't want to bury yourself early in the season.
Speaker 4: That's good point.
Speaker 3: I don't look at this game as extremely important because it's such a long season. I don't want us jumping out, getting full of ourselves and then we.
Speaker 4: Started underestimating our opponent down the line.
Speaker 3: I want this team to have a sense of urgency every game. I don't care who they're playing, and I want them to be able to rise to the occasion such as a road game that you might need such as let's say you happen to drop one and you need another one on the road, and you go on the road and be the damn good team. This is the kind I want them to handle adversity as well as i've better than I've seen them handle it in the past.
Speaker 4: That's what I want from this team.
Speaker 2: Well, consider what the Cowboys now. Last year, we knew going in playing the giantsy opener that okay, this better be a win, right and it was, and it.
Speaker 4: Was a bull division game, Division and.
Speaker 2: But against the Giants team that was rebuilding, and you should win that game, right, Okay, Now, this is a toss up game going to Cleveland.
Speaker 4: It's a great matchup. It is a great matchup.
Speaker 2: But you look at the last prior to last year, you had back to back season openers against a very good Tampa Bay team and you lost both of those. But you came back and got on a roll in one of those years, even after losing your starting quarterback and your backup quarterback had to go four and one the next five games. And so yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: That's the kind of adversity on top. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And so now the problem is in this stretch would be if you did lose at Cleveland, it's that Baltimore game that's scary in week three, that would you'd be on the road perhaps to a one and two start to the season.
Speaker 4: And to me, that's okay. I mean to me, that's okay. You're gonna start off top and then let's see what kind of character we have.
Speaker 5: Still got fourteen games, the games to play.
Speaker 3: Let's just see how much how much trust we have in each other when we get down. And I know fans don't want to be tested that early in the season, but to me, that's the best time to be test is early in the season because you have a chance to make up for down the line.
Speaker 2: I look at it. If you're looking at the schedule, I look at the first five games and then the next five. The first five it's at Cleveland, New Orleans, Baltimore at the Giants on a Thursday night, and then you get a longer rest in between, then play at Pittsburgh. Okay, And I'm looking at you. Need you for sure need to go three and two. There and four and one would be ideal. Of course, Okay, five and oh's ideal, but four and one because the next five you got Detroit at San Francisco, at Atlanta, Philadelphia and Houston. That's a tough stretch there, those five games. So that's why I think it's imperative to get off to a strong start in September because what you're staring at that five game stretch, if all those teams are healthy, that's a very difficul stretches.
Speaker 5: What you get for winning the division well.
Speaker 3: And once again, to me, it's no panic because I'd like to see what the rest of the division is doing. I don't expect them to be as strong this season is last season. I could be wrong, but I don't expect the NFC East to be that strong this season, and I would I would hope that would have a chance to right our wrongs as the season goes on.
Speaker 2: All Right, what happened on Labor Day here?
Speaker 5: They practiced helmets.
Speaker 4: That's what you're supposed to do on Labor Day.
Speaker 5: You labored, right, Yeah, some of us, we always.
Speaker 6: Have some of us labored in there on Labor Day helmets.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: It was a pretty uh extensive practice.
Speaker 2: It was their first time back on back here since Thursday. Were they off Friday Saturdays.
Speaker 6: They were off Friday, Saturday Sunday, So they practiced Thursday out here. The two practices prior that were open to the public Tuesday Wednesday, wouldn't They were like glorified walkthroughs, although they put the helmets on and jerseys on the second day. But I thought the key thing watching that practice on Monday was that everybody was dressed and practicing. The guys that had been out with Nixon bruises and sore knees or whatever. Everybody was back in practice, including Brandon Cook's, John Stevens along with Demarvian Overshown. Damoon Clark was out there, Israel Mukuamu and juan Ye Thomas.
Speaker 5: So we knew going.
Speaker 6: In the two big injuries that they've got to cover, Sam Williams out knee surgery, Deron Bland out with foot surgery. But other than that, all the other guys that they were kind of trying to just get them into the first week of the season out practicing.
Speaker 5: So I thought that was important and anything. And uh, there was a number twenty one out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way Carson.
Speaker 5: Kayln, come, he didn't pick twenty four.
Speaker 3: He was thinking, well, I thought they were going to give give Zeke's number back.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sit wanted fifteen. He wanted Its interesting though, And I don't know if it's just that day at training camp or what, or if he's still on his wristbands he's got number twenty one. Yeah, you have to look, it's like underneath when it turning, we noticed he still had a twenty one wristbands on. But yeah, that's his college number. And so he wanted fifteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, so Kaylen Carson again, you know he's going to start and everybody's going, well, they're going to put Amar Cooper to his side.
Speaker 5: What if you don't play sides?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Do we have cornerbacks that can do that well? Because it was always a big deal when it came to m Lineman.
Speaker 5: As much as I paid digs. He's better be able to do it right.
Speaker 4: He should be able to now.
Speaker 6: But again remember he hasn't He hasn't played in a game since September seventeenth. I think I wrote it down, Yeah, September seventeenth of last.
Speaker 4: Year, and that could be an issue.
Speaker 5: So that's a kind of an unknown also. Right.
Speaker 4: It was just the same thing with Michael Gallup.
Speaker 3: Right, how well do you come off of that injury in your first year? And I never really thought about it much. I was blessed enough not to get that injured. But I don't recall, as I look back on anyone having major problems coming back from that type of injury. I don't recall them having a ramp up year after that. I don't recall that, but they very well could have. This is a new thing for me, like with Michael Gallup, not coming off of that.
Speaker 6: Well, Tarren Steel will tell you the same thing. Okay, he feels so much better right now the second than he did all last year.
Speaker 2: Right. So part of it, I think is probably just a confidence thing.
Speaker 4: You're not sure you've gotta be. Yeah, yeah, you've got to be.
Speaker 2: You're always it's on your mind, and then once you get through a full year of it, then it's you're back.
Speaker 3: To These guys are so athletic sometimes they have to think, but do I want to try that move with this?
Speaker 4: You know, coming off of this injury.
Speaker 3: And I was blessed enough to I didn't have to get injured, So I didn't have to think like that, but I would imagine having to think like that is it can't blow with your confidence a little bit.
Speaker 6: I mean, after you have an ACL repair, Yeah, do you want to plant that foot boo?
Speaker 3: You know, do you want to do those those crazy moves? And Michael Gallup was doing before he got injured, right, Remember some of the more athletic moves that he was doing.
Speaker 4: You're like, man, I better not try that again.
Speaker 2: Well, then sometimes it gets publisher publicized that it was an a CL injury, but there was more to it than just a simple ACL. And even with an ACL, it's they're not all the same.
Speaker 6: Right, because you can also tear your MCL and you could have meniscus dances.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stuff off in there. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff off there.
Speaker 6: Starting to sound like John Maddis, I've got a lot of stuff on that knee.
Speaker 2: So other number changes from the preseason, Ryan Flinoy's number eighty Brotheran Span forty, was wearing forty seven in the preseason. He's now number eighty nine, right, So when you see eighty nine running out there, that is that's.
Speaker 7: What it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big six, six and a half two hundred and sixty pound college free agent from Minnesota.
Speaker 6: And no, no, he kept the same number. I was going to say, Nick vigil on the practice squad, veteran linebacker, because I was sitting there trying to figure out, you know, what positions they would have to elevate from the practice squad if you get two. And I wonder if they think about how much it costs them also who they elevate, because if you elevate a veteran, that weekly based salary is.
Speaker 5: Going to be more than a rookie free agent.
Speaker 2: Right, No, we don't, we don't. You don't want to. That's why we got the CD deal done.
Speaker 6: And that's why you got you got more money to play with. Yes, yes, all right, so we eliminate that. The hard part is going to be getting to forty six.
Speaker 2: Well, and you mentioned the linebacker. Okay, you got vigil on the practice squad, right, Okay, a veteran guy who would be a guy that you would want up.
Speaker 5: For a season opener too, Yeah, for.
Speaker 2: A season opener type. And with the injury situations that you have at linebacker coming out of the preseason, de Moone Clark was dealing with the bomber was over shown as well, back from a need. So, and then you got a rookie and lea foul.
Speaker 4: And the hip hoorn.
Speaker 6: No, Clark was no over overshown was coming back from a knee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the two he had two problems there.
Speaker 6: Well, now he's recovering from the knee, but he had a hip pointer in a training camp.
Speaker 4: Man, be careful with that kid.
Speaker 3: So my thing is this, I'm looking at Miles Garrett fourteen sacks, So what's the difference between his fourteen sacks and Michael Parson's fourteenth.
Speaker 2: And the number one defense in the league. That's why because there were others. In fact, I think TJ. Watt had eighteen sacks last year. There were others with better numbers as far as their sack totals, and so fourth I had the same thought. Okay, so and Parsons had fourteen sacks. Okay, So what set Garrett apart to win the Defensive Player of the Year award last year? And I think it was a It was for the voters. It was as much a team award that the Cleveland defense was playing so well and he was the best player on their team.
Speaker 4: And he does more than sacks. He does more than sacks.
Speaker 3: He's one of the more heads up, play making defensive lineman I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 2: He had seventeen officially, as far as the NFL count goes, he had seventeen tackles for loss, thirty quarterback pressures, fourteen sacks, four force fumbles last year and played eight hundred and seventy two snaps. So he's on the field eighty percent of the time. And the other thing about I was just looking through this this morning. Their front four the sack totals across the board. Okay, he had fourteen. Zadarius Smith on the other side, who, by the way, as a three time pro bowler himself, who's now they'll turn thirty two this week. He had five and a half sacks. They had another defensive end with five sacks. Alex Wright, the Dalvin Tomlinson defensive tackle had three sacks.
Speaker 4: Did they leave the league in sacts?
Speaker 2: They set a club record. They had forty eight sacks, and they set a club record which I did not lead the league, I don't believe, but forty eight sacks is a lot. Obo Okoronco had four and a half sacks as well. I mean it was there's there. They've got a number. There's a half dozen defensive linemen who had around five sacks each.
Speaker 4: They're putting a lot of pressure down surrounding the quarterback.
Speaker 2: And that's not to mention. They signed Quentin Jefferson who had who is a defensive tackle. He goes six to four to ninety pounds and he had six sacks for the Jets last year. They added him to that list.
Speaker 3: And see that that should be the goal for the Cowboys defense is to not just save your offense, but just control the entire game from your side of the ball. I've said it before, Spags liked it so much. I keep bragging on it. But you can't depend you can't have your your defense depending on your offense.
Speaker 4: You just can't. You can't win a championship like that. You can't. We can't even win in the playoffs like that.
Speaker 3: So that needs to be a whole new approach that our defense needs to take this season. Control the game from your end of the field, from your side of the ball.
Speaker 2: Okay, Mickey is over here studying some stats and his notes and everything, just religiously, and I'm just.
Speaker 5: Wait, throw this.
Speaker 6: About to say they had forty nine sacks last year? Okay, okay, I think the Cowboys had for forty eight.
Speaker 2: I've missed by one.
Speaker 4: Forty eight.
Speaker 3: He did all of that, Studiu just ignore everything I was talking about, which was gold by the way it was, and he just yeah, he's over.
Speaker 2: He got how many? So let's get this right. Sure, did you find out if they led the league in sacks?
Speaker 5: They were?
Speaker 4: Oh? I looked.
Speaker 2: We're gonna find that out and we're going to be back with more mix shots. Takes a BC podcast studio in a moment.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape. The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lte is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 2: What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm just reading the script. It is less fillings.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 9: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Little Lighter is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm me Shine, Legal Guy, Celebrate Responsibilyla Walkee Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams cards for twelve ounces, fewer cowsond cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hals avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section grab some today.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: If they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left.
Speaker 5: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, selling trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Pruscott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot Com To mixed shots, Come.
Speaker 3: Shop at the Star and Frisco on Saturday, September twenty eighth, from ten am to four pm at Flea Style Market at the Star presented by maker Place by Michaels, featuring fifty plus local makers offering art, fashion, home, dick Corps, jewelry and kids items. Market at the Star is always a favorite. Admission is free. Visit the Star District dot.
Speaker 4: Com for more info. All right, thank you very much done reading. I'll stop reading. A long time. I stopped reading at the gramblinks shies, we need a.
Speaker 5: Text from Savannah.
Speaker 2: How did how Grambling do this with you? Uh?
Speaker 4: Not too well? Okay. I played the University of louis Handa.
Speaker 2: Which is located in Lafayette. Used to be Louisiana Lafayette.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was the Billy and eighty years old school. He may be coaching there again.
Speaker 4: Road that was. That was a tough road trip. It was a long drive to the mid to central louis.
Speaker 2: You go to bounce back this week three.
Speaker 4: We're back in our own element back this.
Speaker 2: Week Oh Tuskegee.
Speaker 4: That's right, sure, yes we should.
Speaker 5: We'd be back on board right now.
Speaker 4: And we lost. By the way, we lost forty to ten.
Speaker 6: Cleveland was sixth in total sacks and sixth in sacks.
Speaker 2: Per pass play till they were sixth.
Speaker 5: They were sixth, solid six.
Speaker 4: Who's number one?
Speaker 6: Baltimore had sixty and we get them in week three. Miami had fifty six and Kansas City hit fifty seven.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right. You know this time of the year, people give out their preseason predictions on who's going to win the awards, you know, Most Valuable Player, Defensive Player of the Year, the Rookie of the Year, all that stuff. I already have the ed Block Courage Award winner for this year. It's going to be Ricky Piersoll of the San Francisco.
Speaker 5: If he gets back that soon. Not only did the bullet go through his chest, that went.
Speaker 2: Out the back, and he's going to be back by October, they're saying. The reports now are that he's gonna miss likely four games and he'll be back.
Speaker 5: Okay, how lucky.
Speaker 6: You got to be to go in and out and not hit anything significant?
Speaker 3: Right, my lord, that's when you say God is good. That's all you can say about that.
Speaker 4: Good good thing.
Speaker 2: We got guns the other.
Speaker 5: I couldn't help myself when you're talking.
Speaker 2: About being out four games. You know, there was a recent incident. It was two years ago. Brian Robinson, running back for the Washington Commanders, was shot in the knee and glute during an armed robbery. That was August twenty eighth, twenty twenty two, and he missed four games, came back, but he didn't have the bullet go through his chest all the way and exit the back.
Speaker 3: Of his No, that's the best thing happened to him. Yes, right, they didn't have to go in and get it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was no surgery involved.
Speaker 5: But isn't there like a tunnel through there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I'm serious that we could talk about the convenience of the location all we want. The dude got shot. Okay, that's just all he is doing. And he's coming back before Halloween. Come on, that's too that's too too.
Speaker 2: So they'll be back before Dallas plays San Francisco. Oh that's true.
Speaker 5: What was he like a third round pick?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 2: No, he was up into the first round of the first Okay. Yeah, he's a big kid too. If he's an athletic wide receiving, very athletic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess if you got a gun, you're a little braver.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the and the night, the other news coming out of San Francisco is that Trent Williams is now shown up. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, of course it's not going to miss a pay day. I try to tell you guys that no one misses a pay day, and Jamar Chase will be the next one.
Speaker 2: Troy Everson shows up every day.
Speaker 4: You got that right there.
Speaker 3: That is the only way I'll be showing up here every day.
Speaker 2: He'll show up a minute before show.
Speaker 8: To right, But I'm here, I'm here, or one game before or one minute before the show started, right, I mean I pointed out last week.
Speaker 6: You know that summer Michael held out, he showed up on Thursday for the Monday night game.
Speaker 2: Now, Emmett did miss two weeks.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 4: No, that was legendary.
Speaker 5: But he didn't have a contract, so.
Speaker 4: He had no choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was. He got the same what he was missing.
Speaker 2: As it turned out, he got the same amount of money as what he would have gotten. Yeah, if he had played in those games, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: Right after he signed, then they gave Troy a raise and he was already underpaid.
Speaker 4: So that was weird.
Speaker 2: That's the quarterback, that's right. Quarterback gets the money.
Speaker 4: Quarterback didn't have to hold out either that summer.
Speaker 6: That summer that Michael held out, there was four or five other starters who held out. Also, everybody was looking for money after eleven and five seasons.
Speaker 2: By the way, speaking of quarterbacks, at the end of last it's funny how a holiday weekend puts things on the back burner. Because at the end of last week, after the CD signing, and then okay, when's the Dak signing going to happen, and then Dak talked on Thursday and that got a lot of play. And now here we are, we're Tuesday of game week, and uh so, what's gonna happen here?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't think anything's gonna happen unless the other side says, Okay, we don't need sixty million average a year. Because the difference between Dak and the young quarterbacks that got that money, they were only going into their second year of the Contra, second second contract, right, so there was the ability to stuff pro rated signing bonus into.
Speaker 5: Their last year, their fifth year. They can't do that. Well, they could do it.
Speaker 6: With Dak, but he's already already there's five million.
Speaker 2: There's already money stuff there.
Speaker 6: Right, they've stuffed it for three times, so he's got forty million there that's still got be accounted for beyond what they sign for.
Speaker 5: So that's what's holding this whole thing up.
Speaker 6: The fact that, and it dawned on me that next year, ceed Lamb, they're going to have to redo his base salary because his cap hit next year is going to be like thirty three million dollars. So take thirty three and if Dak counts sixty, that's ninety three million out of two sixty for two guys.
Speaker 5: And if Zach Martin is not playing next year, his pro ration from his.
Speaker 6: Restructures seventeen million for not being here, and then DeMarcus Lawrence is another seven or eight million. And they're in the final year of their contracts too, So are they going to continue to play what eleventh or twelfth season?
Speaker 5: Who knows, But it's going to cost.
Speaker 6: So you can keep restructuring base salaries and pushing it down the road, but at some point it catches up with you. And that's why the DAK thing is complicated. It's not as easy as well, that's the market you got to pay it, and Jerry's saying, well, I don't have to set the market price. This is what I can afford for my situation.
Speaker 2: So is there a salary cap benefit to wait until after the season, And maybe that's too deep to get into in one minute.
Speaker 6: Not so much, because you still need five years to pro rate the signing bonus, right, because if you did it now, you could say, oh, I'll put one year in.
Speaker 2: This, like you're not doing a deal now in order to create more salary cap space.
Speaker 5: Now, no, it's going to cost you.
Speaker 6: It won't be you know, the cost next year will be for those many years, right, and.
Speaker 2: Already counts so much against see five million against the cap this year, and there's it's not like you can hide. You can put some of that into this year to easey. That helps you along for future years. And then if you want, you need that money in order to sign players and stuff as a season.
Speaker 6: And if you want to pro rate it, you really need five years. But he turns thirty two next year, I believe, so is he gonna play till thirty seven? And those other contracts, just like CDs that last year there's a huge base salary that's not guaranteed, so that that blows up what the average is if you take out the non guaranteed last year. Yeah, CDs averaging thirty million a year, same thing as Jefferson thirty million a year.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there he is kaponomics from making you in three minutes there you go, all right, so much to get to tomorrow and throughout the rest of the way. We'll be here at noon every weekday on mixed shots. Make it a great Tuesday and We'll see you again tomorrow at noon.
Speaker 4: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboy