Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The video is apocalyptic. Some of the news broadcast I'm watching with what's happened in California, Los Angeles, Pacific Palisades. Man, it's heartbreaking. It's one thing when you get out of your house and you're safe and you've evacuated, but you still lost your house. And that video it is it is really really tough. It's it's devastating in more ways than one. So the firefighters, thank God for them. And I always think about this, you know, whenever you're in a hometown, you're small town and you see the firefighters out there and they'll have that day where they have their boots and they're collecting money. Think about that next time. Just think about that next time with those great people. But uh, you know, this feels like it's a yearly thing that goes on an annual thing. Unfortunately with California and these winds are whipping, I mean eighty ninety miles per hour, you're not sure where to go even when you evacuate. Talking to a friend last night at two in the morning my time, and he said, I don't know where to go in the which direction said, it's scary, so the proverbial thoughts and prayers, but certainly more than that, whatever that is, certainly more than that. But really really that you watch and you're like, that is real, and that's happening right now. It's almost like from a movie set. But it's not all right. Our job is to be a diversion. Our job is to entertain, make you laugh, make you think, make you smile, and we'll try to do that today. We got the Minister of Humor here, Fritzy in the back row. You got seat, and you got Marv, you got Paula yours truly and of course the back room guys. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app to watch the program. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show, and this first hour brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of the DP Show. Instant push to Talk offering national LTE coverage, nose subscriptions ever, business owners keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time one push of a button. Go to Rapid radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free shipping. We'll talk to Chase Daniel, the former quarterback. He'll join us from now. He's driving up from San Diego to Los Angeles and he works for Fox Sports one. So hopefully Chase will be okay commuting from San Diego up there with the fires. Mike Florio on the comings and goings here of you know, Antonio Pierce gets fired. I was not surprised that he got fired. This has Tom Brady's fingerprints all over it. In my opinion, as a minority owner, if I'm Mark Davis, it'd be crazy not to use Tom as the sounding board to say what do you think we should do, how do you think that we should approach this, and what coach do you have in mind? So Florio will join us a little bit later on as well. Got a poll question, Play of the Day, stat of the Day eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Got a big basketball game tonight. It'll be the Thunder against the Cavaliers. Thunder the best in the West, the Caves, the best in the East. That's National TV. And then you'll have Spurs in the Bucks. So you got Wemby against the Greek freak. So maybe basketball will take the spotlight and showcase some great talent, some great teams there coming up later on tonight. Back to Antonio Pierce being fired, I didn't think he was going to keep his job because of Tom Brady coming in. Now, if they had the number one pick, then I thought, sure, he's not gonna keep his job. It's you want to come in, Okay, let's start. Let's start with a coach and maybe we get a quarterback here. I thought they were gonna go all in on Michael Pennox last year. Now they could have gotten bow Nicks, but they got Rock Bowers, who is gonna finish runner up and Rookie of the Year. He was great, But you gotta find your quarterback. Now, imagine if you had your quarterback. I mean that's another thing. When you look at Rock Bowers and Malik Neighbors. They put up these unbelievable seasons with bad quarterback play, which makes it like if you're grading it on a curve, Damn that's impressive. So here are the Raiders with the sixth pick. Now, it's not a heavy quarterback draft. You're gonna have cam Ward, who right now is the favor to be the number one pick. If the Titans hold on to it, then Shador Sanders. Then you're gonna have Jalen Milroe at some point. But if you're the Raiders, are you going to get maybe somebody in free agency?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I was talking to somebody, a former TV executive who is well connected with the owners around the league, and I'm talking to him about a couple of things, and I said, would the Raiders kick the tires on Aaron Rodgers? He said, well yes, and he goes, I would too, because Aaron respect for Tom Brady. Raiders, you're playing inside. Half of your games are going to be now, granted you're in the AFC West, but if you want to do that bridge quarterback there And I said, okay, Like, I just I can't get into the Aaron Rodgers business now. I just can't. And I know those are respectable numbers that he put up, but there's just so much more that's going to go with this. Now, are you like, what do you have and you bring him in? What do you like? What are your expectations? Hey, let's win five games. Hey, it doesn't matter what our record's going to be pep who are stilling to show up. We're a tourist destination. I don't know what the mindset would be for the Raiders that how quickly do they want to win? But if Tom Brady's involved in this, Tom Brady, he's not used to losing, and that's what I think. How do you expedite this? Does he bring in Mike Rabel? Does Mike Rabel? And this is another thing I asked the former TV exect. I said, does Mike Rabel turn down the Patriots as a way of showing respect to Bill Belichick? Because what happened at the very end with the Craft family in Belichick? Now? He said, yes, I could see that happening.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Once again, this is just somebody's opinion on this, because I don't think anybody really knows what goes on with the Patriots. They're pretty, you know, close to the best. But if you're Mike Brabel and you have respect for Belichick, would you want to go back to where Bill coached and created this legacy? And he's going to have I think multiple opportunities. I think Brabil will have a couple of different places to choose from, which is interesting because he was available last year, and maybe he decided that he didn't want to coach, didn't want to be a head coach, maybe wanted to kind of step back be, you know, a consultant for the Cleveland Browns. But now he's going to get that opportunity. But Brady's got to get his quarterback. That's the crazy part of this that the greatest quarterback now needs to find a quarterback and who's going to be good enough? Now? Is that where you go to Sam Darnold. That's a possibility as well. So I think there's so much going on. Then you got the Dallas Cowboy situation. Mike McCarthy. Now the Cowboys said no, you can't interview with the Chicago Bears. It's kind of interesting that in a week's time, if he's not re signed, they can't do anything about it. But then if he's not rescign and then they're not bringing like, I don't know what the hold up there is. But Jerry Jones after the game on Sunday was asked about Mike McCarthy interviewing elsewhere. Then I would say, go talk. I really would go talk.
Speaker 5: Sounds I just.
Speaker 2: Let Zeke do that, got it.
Speaker 6: But I don't want anybody here that's not healthy to have somebody around it wants to be someplace else.
Speaker 2: Really, it's not Okay, then why didn't you deny permission? Mike doesn't want to interview with the Bears. He'd rather stay with the Cowboys. But if you're not going to resign him and letting go interview with the Bears, mind boggling. Mind boggling. All right, Seaton, what's pole question for the first hour of the program? Well, we got a few of them here for you.
Speaker 5: Let's see, PAULI sent one over the head coachless team that feels furthest from the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Furthest from the Super Bowl head coachless, the phrase that sounds weird. Look at this, we're head coachless. How's the rest of the body? Okay, well, let me think about that. Maybe we'll do that in a few minutes. Okay, what else do you have?
Speaker 3: Seed?
Speaker 5: Uh, let's see, we have better gig Fox Broadcaster or Raiders front office.
Speaker 2: Well, he is a part owner, so that's different than and they kept Tom toe LESCo as their GM. I just see Brady as a one and done. He does the Super Bowl and then he decides that he's going to be more involved with the Raiders. I just don't see Tom sort of in and like one foot in, one foot out with the Raiders. I just he's too much of a competitor. And it's one thing you can compete in this business, like I compete with myself every day. We compete, you know, with ourselves each day. But this is different. These are wins and losses with Tom and creating something, building something, and I think that would probably intrigue him as opposed to being a broadcaster. I mean, Tom can be at a certain level and he knows that there'll just be people who don't like him just because he's Tom Brady or he beat their team or whatever it might be. You know, Tom is competing against Tom, and I think that I don't know if he gets the same kind of adrenaline rush now he will when you do a playoff game, when you do the Super Bowl, Tom's going to be like, oh my god, that was awesome, but it's still not that awesome of playing in it. Or you're part of a team. Now it's a different team. It's the Fox broadcast team. But he's used to winning and losing and when you get done with the show, only you decide if you've won or lost. Hey, how did I sound? Was that good? This is different with the Raiders, yes see.
Speaker 5: But if his plan was to be part of the Raiders organization, right, he's a minority owner, but he wants to be involved in the day to day operations. Why would you sign a ten year contract at Fox?
Speaker 2: Well, he got that before he got the Raiders situation. He didn't know that was going to be approved. Now, once again, I don't have any information on that, but I'm just thinking. I think Tom realized broadcasting is a little bit tougher than he thought. The thing he thought, you know what, this is fun. I'm around the game, and I've been around a lot of former players and former coaches who realize that those who make it look easy, that's how they stand out. Those are the stars. It's not easy. But when you make like John Madden made it seem like, oh man, you just kidding them that, mom, But it was so much more than that, Like you have to put in your time. Tom can't even go and be in these meetings now, Like he can't even be there to talk to these people, like, you know, the analysts, normally do. So I think Tom it was an offer he couldn't refuse. And then I think he probably realizes that all right, I kind of like it, you know, it's kind of fun, but nothing compares to competing, and he's one of the ultimate competitors. And that's why I think. And look, Andrew Marshawn of you know, the media critic, he's the one who brought it up and said, hey, he thinks Tom's going to be one and done. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 7: If you had this could be a five minute poll question. If you had a bet that Tom Brady has one job a year.
Speaker 2: From now, which would it be the Raiders?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: The competitive angle, yeah, yeah once once again.
Speaker 2: You know, I was around Drew Brees and when you're when you're in the studio, it's sterile. And that's what it's really jolting for these former coaches and players.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 2: You're watching these games and then you talk a little bit about them with highlights and analysis. But if you go to games, broadcast games, there's a whole different energy when you walk in. And I thought, okay, maybe that can replicate something that Tom had when he played. That feeling and I man, I like this. I think he realized it's a little bit tougher the critics. You know, you can't just go out there and say I'm gonna throw a touchdown pass. It doesn't work that way. Or man, wait till they get this analysis. And Tom is working with somebody who is trying to help him bring up things that nobody else is bringing up, Like he wants to get that he's a competitor there. And I was told that he works with somebody at Fox and they're trying to give him these stats, you know, things that he can work on bring up. And then it's like, all right, I see what you're doing there, Tom, Yes, Ton.
Speaker 4: Is he more concerned about his look or how he sounds in.
Speaker 2: The air, I don't know. I mean, I think his looks are all set, I think, but though, yeah, well, I think he's pretty good for a little clearly. I think in the next ten years he'll look pretty good.
Speaker 3: Still.
Speaker 2: His voice, his voice is something that you know it he doesn't have that great voice, But I don't know if that would factor in it all. I think this is just Tom. Get a coach in there, maybe get Mike Rabel in there, and then you find your quarterback, and then this is a different way of kind of differentiating you from anybody else. You know, Elway tried to do it, it didn't work out. Now others have tried to be part of a franchise, and certainly great quarter Hall of Fame courter of Dan Marino's with the Dolphins. This is something where if you create something like this, I think you just put that on the resume. It's another thing to put on the resume and say, yeah, I did that, did you yeah?
Speaker 7: Pulling as journalist Tom Brady just last night posted a picture on vacation. He's at the beach with a football in his hand. He goes, man, it's January. I got to see how the army is, see if I can still do it like for fun. He's just goofing around. But of course he's shirtless than he looks. The lighting is just perfect. Yeah, but he could still play, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: He looks lean.
Speaker 1: He will.
Speaker 2: He will be the best quarterback in the building with the Raiders next year. Even if they bring in Sam Darnold Tom or bring in Rogers. He Tom would probably think, you know, I could probably do this. It's just you know, this is and I wouldn't rule it out after watching Lebron last night. Now it's different. Lebron's you know, freakish the dunk that he had against the MAVs. But you know, in his mind, Tom probably goes, I could still do it. Only forty I'm only forty seven. I can see that, all right. Glad you're with us and whatever role we play in your lives on a daily basis, certainly those of you in Los Angeles, hopefully we can be a diversion for you today.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture.
Speaker 3: Stories that well.
Speaker 2: Other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something right.
Speaker 3: So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. We spoke with Kyle Hamilton yesterday after practice and he is a two time Pro Bowl safety for the Ravens and a Notre Dame grad as well, played under Marcus Freeman is his defensive coordinator. And I started out by asking Kyle Hamilton which game does he feel more confident about the Ravens against the Steelers or is Fighting Irish playing tonight against Penn State.
Speaker 3: You know, taking one step by a time.
Speaker 9: So Notre Dame is tomorrow, so I'm worried about that Notre Dame game tomorrow. I got a few Penn State people talking a little trash, but you know, I said, it's they had a good season. They it's kind of a cool story. They came this far. Get the program, storry, but we got bigger things to do.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Do you have I think three teammates who went to Penn State? Are there any side bets on this game?
Speaker 9: A ton of bragging rights, because that's all anybody does is about their college. But you know, come Friday morning, I'm gonna be really loud.
Speaker 2: Marcus Freeman looks like he could still play Kyle.
Speaker 9: I think he's only about thirty.
Speaker 3: Five something like that?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 3: But he that up?
Speaker 2: But around there I think he was pretty intend, was he? He was what defensive coordinator when you were there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? He was my DC?
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 9: It was cool to have a DC that was closer in age to us than our head coach and can kind of relate, been in it and can relay the messages very well.
Speaker 2: Does do you get to tackle Lamar Jackson or Jerrick Henry?
Speaker 3: No? I mean I wish I could, more so than Derek.
Speaker 2: But you don't want to tackle Derrick Henry.
Speaker 9: Yeah, No, that's that's uh. You know, when he has to do so, you know, you gotta do what you gotta do. But I'm glad he's on the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Okay, But that's where you make a business decision. If he was playing on the Titans, have you made business decisions when you're tackling somebody.
Speaker 9: I feel like you can't really do that because if you try to do that, then you know you're just gonna get embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Well you can't admit it, but in your mind it's like, God, this is gonna hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, But most of the time you get up next play and then you forget about it.
Speaker 2: But trying to corral Lamar, I mean, how tough is that? And he's your teammate.
Speaker 9: Yeah, obviously I can't speak from experience other than faul Camp, but even then, when he's going fifty percent Lamar, it's still tough to stop him. And you see it every single game day. It's just like, I know, the defense has to be frustrated being out there and you feel like you have the perfect play out up and you do and and then you get to him and he squirms out and runs for fifty yards that throws a sixty yard touchdown.
Speaker 3: It's just it's got to be demoralizing.
Speaker 2: Okay, if we ran a forty yard dash, who's winning on the team out of everybody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely not me? As I showcased at the combine.
Speaker 2: What was your time at the combine?
Speaker 3: Four or five? Nine?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're tall, you're rangy. You make up for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah that seems any care. They thought I was slow?
Speaker 2: But you know, okay, did they call you slow?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It it some of them did. But you know it worked out, and I'm right where.
Speaker 2: I need to be at your Your speed challenged is what you are.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: You're not slow, You're just speed challenge And your forty was faster than Jerry Rice's.
Speaker 3: Oh I can, all right, that's something the standing on. I can.
Speaker 9: Somebody tries to make fun of me. But forty yard dash winner on the team probably probably Keaton No Nate Wiggins, Nate Wiggins, Nate Wiggins and Keaton Mitch will be a good race.
Speaker 2: Where's Lamar in this? If we did a forty or one hundred yard.
Speaker 9: I don't think anybody's ever really seen Lamar run full speed.
Speaker 3: When he does.
Speaker 9: He's super fast, so I probably put it I say that Lamar runs around high four to three.
Speaker 2: He's Kyle Hamilton, the Ravens safety, two time Pro bowler and a former Notre Dame fighting Irishman. The difference between playoff practice in a regular season practice is.
Speaker 3: What, honestly not much at least for us.
Speaker 9: You know, we try to take that mindset and every single week so we don't get to the playoffs and then change what we're doing. It's something that I think the Ravens have done a great job of. Coach Harbor, everybody in the facility and everybody on the staff is just you know, we're kind of built for this at this point.
Speaker 3: It's just business as usual. So going on Saturday and do we need to do?
Speaker 2: Are you preparing for both quarterbacks? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's kind of something that you got to prepare for because they deploy justin fields when you know, kep driven run stuff and obviously he's still a quarterback, can still throw the ball, so you know, you'd ever know how the game is gonna go and say.
Speaker 3: You got to prepared to be prepared for everything.
Speaker 2: Best wide receiver you faced this season was who.
Speaker 9: Mmmm, that's a good question. You know, CD's pretty good. I'm forgetting somebody. I will always say it wasn't this season, but last season. Pookinakua is probably one of the more underrated people in the league.
Speaker 3: Just playing against him. He's physical, he's tough.
Speaker 9: Makes great catches, runs good routes and you know, now a lot of people give him credit for what he does. And that's one person that really stuck out to me last year.
Speaker 2: But but Kyle, I watched him play and I'm like, Okay, how did everybody miss on Pookinakoula being a great wide receiver, even a good wide receiver in the NFL?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think he had somewhat of a sub par combine or something coming out, maybe mesurables, But I think people get stuck in the numbers a little too much and forget that.
Speaker 3: You know, you gotta play FOOTBA at the end of the day. He's definitely good football player.
Speaker 2: Jim Harball is quirky weird. Is John Harball quirky weird?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't think so.
Speaker 9: I think he was probably the cooler brother growing up, even though Jim was the NFL quarterback.
Speaker 3: You know John was still the older brother, and nah, I feel like I feel like he kind of has those.
Speaker 9: Older brother qualities and Jim has those younger brother qualities.
Speaker 2: Does John say goofy things though?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he does goofy, borderline corny. Yeah, he tries, and we appreciate him trying to have a little satirical side to him, but you know, sometimes he is.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a hit or miss with him.
Speaker 2: Well, congrats so far, good luck against the Steelers, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dad, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's Kyle Hamillon the Ravens Safety.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: We say good morning to the Arizona State head football coach Kenny Dillingham. Had an unbelievable season, took Texas to a couple overtimes before being bounced from the postseason. Kenny, thanks for joining us. How many times have you watched that game?
Speaker 4: Too many? Way, way too many? Probably ten to twelve times.
Speaker 2: But what are you trying to get out of that when you watch?
Speaker 6: To be honest, just what tips did they have to give their players an advantage. And if we ever played them again, what could we do to give our players an advantage?
Speaker 4: I mean nothing more or less than that.
Speaker 2: Do you watch alone?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 2: Do you drink beers when you're want? I mean, you know, can you have a little bit of fun when you're watching this coach?
Speaker 4: Sometimes? Usually when you win, you do that. When you lose, you try to drown in the sorrows.
Speaker 2: But what is it that you could have done? If I say you get one mulligan? What would you have done differently?
Speaker 6: I would have had not called a timeout on the fourth and one in overtime. I would have let the play eat and it would have converted, and I would have had a time out to say for the fourth and twelve when yours checked out of it out into a cover zero beater.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say something about the targeting. No call there.
Speaker 4: I can't control that.
Speaker 2: How painful is that to watch? Because I thought it was you could have picked a penalty either defenseless receiver or you could have done targeting, and they gave you neither of those. What do you see when you see that play now over and over?
Speaker 4: I think I see the same thing that everybody sees. That's just it is what it is. Though that's sport.
Speaker 6: There's miss calls, there's calls all There's probably five of their calls in the game that nobody talks about that probably could have gone against us. So I don't like to use those moments as excuses, even though they're the big moments and they're what everybody should talk about, because people only talk about the big plays, the big moments, the big no calls, the big mate calls, whatever it is.
Speaker 4: But there's a lot of things I could have done better to help our football team.
Speaker 2: If Ryan Day reached out to you today and said, hey, got any tips for me facing Texas, what would you tell him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's on They're they're very physical on the perimeter. Uh, They're they're really good tacklers. And I think that's a great skill. I think it's one thing you see on tape, but like when you see it live, the size and the tackling ability, Uh, it's different. Then I would say you have to have an ability to check when when yours checks. You can't let Quens check Texas and the good football plays and uh and not change the look. So you better create a mechanism defensively to check when he checks.
Speaker 2: Okay, explain how you then can counteract when yours is going to check and change the play. Then what is your job?
Speaker 4: So you could have like a dual call.
Speaker 6: So basically you say we're going to run field blitz and we're going to run cover four and if the quarterback checks, then we're going to change from our field blitz.
Speaker 4: Call to automatically changing to cover four.
Speaker 6: So he made a check based off of field blitz and he wants the perfect play versus that we're now going to a complimentary call. So having a way just like offenses have a way to when you hear kill kill and the quarterbacks say that he's changing calls based off the look.
Speaker 4: Same thing for a defense.
Speaker 2: But the fourth and thirteen touchdown did he check out of something?
Speaker 4: He did?
Speaker 6: He checked out of a call in which we felt really good about what we were doing into a call later on the clock, and you know he didn't.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable check and then they executed really well.
Speaker 2: What did you think of the Notre Dame Penn State game?
Speaker 6: Unbelievable game. I think Marcus Freeman's an absolute stud of a human being. I've been going versus m since I was at Florida State when he was the defensive coordinator and he was a phenomenal coach then, and I think the way he leads people, I think you can see his guys play really hard.
Speaker 2: Do you have a clock management guy like Marcus Freeman has a guy right next to him. Do you have a guy whose only job is to give you clock management?
Speaker 4: I did. It was Matt Butterfield.
Speaker 6: He just took the full time special teams coordinator job though elsewhere, so I'm hiring.
Speaker 4: So if you ever want to hang it out the clock management guy, let me know.
Speaker 2: I like the colors and I like the climate. I just don't know what it pays, not what you mean. He's the Arizona State head coach Ken Dillingham joining us on the program. I'm going to ask Bill Kauer about this. We see this with Dan Campbell other coaches. They create a culture. It feels like you're creating a culture, But I don't know how you go about creating that culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think for us, we pick our players, right, We recruit our players. So for us, it's recruiting guys that are like minded, you know, our three pillars of our program are.
Speaker 4: Be a good person. It's very simple to be a good person, make good decisions.
Speaker 6: It's very simple to make good decisions and then have more fun, working harder than anybody in the country.
Speaker 4: So what is our culture?
Speaker 6: We better recruit to people that when they walk around the building, they have a smile on their face, they're excited to be here, they crack a joke, you know, they have personality because I really think when you get people around you that personality, you wake up and you may have a down day and that person is going to lift you higher than you would have been.
Speaker 4: And that's the culture we're trying to create.
Speaker 2: First time you see Cam Skataboo, your response is your reaction is what.
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: This had all those yards? You know he's an underdog. There's a reason for him. And but what he's done to.
Speaker 6: Change his body and to change who he is just as a physical specimen, he's the strongest he's ever been, least body bet he's ever had, fastest he has ever been. Mindset's better than it's ever been. He went from a really really good football player to somebody who was top five in the Heisman vote. And I think he should have been higher.
Speaker 2: But so that confidence of just kind of loading him up and just say go like he's gonna he knows he's gonna get We talked to him after the loss and he said, look, I know I'm gonna get hurt. I know it's going to hurt, but I'm going to hurt you as well. Like that kind of physicality. And he said, Marshawn Lynch is sort of you know, one of his idols or who he runs.
Speaker 6: Like, Yeah, I think Scott just has that in mindset he gets into he's the nicest kid off the field, super intelligent. People think his play style, oh he's crazy. Scott is incredibly intelligent, high high IQ. And for him to flip a switch into this like no way anybody can stop me mode? And does that mean he's always not going to be stopped. No, Nobody in the history of sports ever been invincible.
Speaker 4: But it means he believes.
Speaker 6: It so much that he's going to make plays that people are like, what just happened. And every day for the last seven hundred days or whatever, seven hundred and eighty days I've coached him, he has done something at practice or in a game that I'm like, what just happened?
Speaker 4: That is incredible.
Speaker 2: How often do you go to an opposing team stadium and people question it if you really are the head coach at Arizona State?
Speaker 4: Oh the way easier question. How often do I does that not happen? I mean, I look twelve, so it's you know, when I walk around, it's just part of it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I've been young my whole life, though I started coaching at seventeen, so I'm very used to the fact. I mean, I get stopped trying to walk into the field before the before the peach ball. They're like, you need credentials, go back and get them, and I do it. You know, at the end of the day, I'm people are doing their jobs, so people don't really recognize me.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Hopefully I look young when I'm older, you know what I mean, and people will be jealous.
Speaker 4: But right now, it's just part of it.
Speaker 2: What do you expect to happen tonight between Texas and Ohio State.
Speaker 6: I haven't watched enough Ohio State to give like a really, really good opinion. I know Texas is going to be really good on defense. I know they're not going to give up big plays. So I think the key to Ohio State, I can you think the key to the game is how do you stop Ohio State and one of the best wide receivers in college football in a long time. And you can't just double team them because Ohio State's too good to do that. So what are you doing to get the quarterback to think he's double teamed, move his eyes off of him, but him really be singled up? And I think that's one of the hidden things in the game, is the deception of him being doubled. Can you do that enough to single him up and get your hats elsewhere? For Texas and if they can, you know, I think they're both really good football teams.
Speaker 2: By the way, when we had cam on he said he checked out of that halfback option that I think he said. Your quarterback said he was banged up, don't throw me the football, and so he changed the play. Did you know that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I did. I saw it live and in person, baby, and on fourth than too in the fourth quarter, So that was exciting.
Speaker 3: But he's the same.
Speaker 6: Dude that punted for US last year and checked out of a punt versus USC and did this and signaled a wide.
Speaker 4: Out to run a slam and threw it to him for a first down.
Speaker 6: Same dude that caught a toss, scrambled backward ninety seven yards, realized he was going to lose yards and threw the ball away.
Speaker 4: His football IQ.
Speaker 6: And his savviness is unbelievable for his style of plug.
Speaker 2: You strike me as a pregame speech guy.
Speaker 6: Really, yeah, we actually don't give pregame speeches. Our players give pregame speeches. This is a player run program. Our players give the pregame. Our players make the decisions. I am literally a surrogate between the leadership.
Speaker 4: Council and the players, and my job is to help.
Speaker 6: The leadership council make the best decisions for the football team. But I do not run the show here. Our players run the show. I just help them get to the best decisions.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, Well, like, is there a cut off point of what they are allowed to do? And say, like, do they have total autonomy here?
Speaker 6: I mean, if they're going to do something that is bad, I'm going to say no, we're not doing that, you know.
Speaker 4: But if I say, do you guys think we should do this or this? And I give them options and they vote, I'm doing what they vote for.
Speaker 6: If they say, hey, we need a Monday off, we're tired, and I say, you guys know what the repercussions of this are, right, It means Tuesday has to be this high. You guys have to elevate Tuesday to another level. And they say yes, I'm like, Okay, Monday's off.
Speaker 4: I firmly believe in.
Speaker 6: Extreme ownership, especially in today's day and age, and to get a team buy in, you need team commitment, team ownership, and I think that was one thing our leadership council, the decisions they made, and they could push the team to further, my opinion, further than we thought we could go, or people thought we could go because there was such buy in, because it was team decisions, not a head coach saying we're going to.
Speaker 4: Go out and practice for two hours and thirty minutes today.
Speaker 6: In November, it was the leadership council saying, hey, we talked to coach. This is why we need to practice for two hours and thirty minutes today.
Speaker 2: Wait, when how did you learn this?
Speaker 6: I just believe in trusting people. I mean I leave, I mean I shouldn't say this, but I leave my car unlocked, like my wife hates it. I just believe in people. I truly believe that if you try to, if you give people the keys, if you truly empower people, and if you get the right people around you and you trust them and you believe in them right and you empower them, they're gonna be better versions of themselves. And that empowerment is going to take you as a unit higher than you could ever.
Speaker 4: Go by me saying run one hundred yards.
Speaker 2: Okay, if your car is gone by the end of the day, do not blame me.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna lock it now.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to change.
Speaker 6: My entire theory on not locking my car now because I just exposed that.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on all this success. We appreciate you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Coach coach Kenny Dillingham Arizona State second season and they were three and nine first season, eleven to three in season two. I could buy into that.
Speaker 3: Did we just get a new favorite coach?
Speaker 4: Shot?
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel like we might have. He's there, let's go. I thought that was great.