Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: Honey, we are.
Speaker 1: Thanks take valotility. We are the authority on all things R and B. Ladies and gentleman, My name is Tank. This is the R and B Money podcast, authority on all things R and B yesterday and today. We are a current R and B conglomerate. H we know what's going on with the youth, Yes, sir, put that on and just know what I'm saying. It works, okay, uh. I like to call this person one of the leaders of the new school. I agree, Wavy beyond waves. I've seen her read work. She's a problem and I like it. Ladies and gentlemen in the building, give it up the jobs right now, right now, Joz. I want to say this, Wow, that was beautiful. It's good to meet you, right and let me let me explain that. Not not as in meeting you for the first time, but it is good to meet you. In meeting you, I was like, oh my god, she's so dope.
Speaker 2: Wow. You always say that this is, this is not, this is this is always consistent.
Speaker 1: In meeting you, I was like, Wow, now, amazing energy, amazing, how you my loved one off top. I wish your nigga would about jos Zy, And as you say, consistency, that's you. You're You're consistent in your presence, in your demean in your work ethic every time, every time. And that's why we're talking about you. That's why they're talking about you. That's why you you know, that's why you've done the things that you've done, and they're doing the things that you're going to do. That's why you know, I see you first of all, she don't have a ship off time. It's I think.
Speaker 2: I think that's what's so good about like being like an R and B artist, Like it was. It was a fashion too. Everything was just the whole esthetic of being an R and B nigga. It was just like I love that, like I love when I used to see like Carl Thomas and his fur like the like you know, I love to see Donnelle Jones and his glasses and his black turtle neck like that was just fly. Like even with you, I told Tank, Bro, don't wear no shirt, Bro, don't come white. This is the show. Take the shirt off.
Speaker 3: You know that I'm not coming right there now.
Speaker 4: If you got to look across, okay, I don't see that.
Speaker 1: You know, we be in that place, get to you know, after the fool.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't like y'all like that. We don't like it like that. I can look at you like you look good, but look good I can give you. I don't like you like you can look good and you know it's nothing like you know what I'm saying that.
Speaker 1: I heard y'all looking waste together and ship Now yeah games, you know gangs got us on the program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not literally, just changing my life around. I love going to the gym. I didn't realize that I was going to really enjoy seeing I like seeing the aftermath and the results. Man, I'm a result person. That's why it even took me a minute to come to R and B Money because I was like, I don't got enough results. I ain't ready, I don't got enough points on the board in my eyes to be around you all because I really look at you all at a high level. So that's why I was afraid to come here. But you know, now I'm here.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Well, you're supposed to be here. Yeah, I want you to say that, like like while you're in it, even with everything that you've done right at a high level, but while you're in it, you know, I think it's important for us, you know what I mean. It's weird to say elders, but this is crazy.
Speaker 2: You're the eldest.
Speaker 1: Well I mean elder statesman.
Speaker 5: I like you and this shit.
Speaker 1: It's important to shine that light, you know what I'm saying, Like, we gotta shine that light on you. If you don't know, now you know, you know what I'm saying, because the legacy continues with you. You don't see what I'm saying, Like, we play our part in our pieces, but listen, we here, we're throwing calls on the fire.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the reason why we have the platform ultimately, I mean, obviously we're going to have you know, legends and new legends, and people who have been a part of the music business for a long time, and people who are starting out and people who are just accomplished.
Speaker 3: But most of the most most importantly for us, it's about what we respect, you know what I mean. That's why when I ran into you and you said that to me, I was like, no, you've been ready, I've been loving records, you've done. You know what I'm saying that if I can call out your records. That mean I respect what you've done, you know what I mean. So to us, it doesn't, we don't. We don't look at it that way, right, we understand what you're saying. We don't look at that way because we know how hard it is to get these accomplishments. And you know, like, I don't even like, I don't even respect when people have those those conversations about one hit wonders, Well.
Speaker 5: That's one more hit than you may ever have in.
Speaker 1: Your life line.
Speaker 2: And I'm so glad I got my big hit out the way, so I don't got worried about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I early.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let's let's now, let's get to the little john Zie. Let's go back to Memphis. Let's go back to Memphis where it all began. Give me, give me the beginnings, give me the upbringer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So born and raised in Memphis, Tennescy. Literally, my mom was a teacher. But my mom used to be in the group. She used to be signed to high records with Willie Mitchell. She used to go on to it and People's and see Johnson and al Green people. So my mom had a group called Jenny and the Jay's back in the sixties, they had a song on the billboard on the charts like they was doing good. They had a song called love what You're Doing in Me? And but my mom had to liked she always tell me she had to choose either the secular world or back in the day, you had to choose a secular world or you're gonna go to singing church. And I don't know, like Willie Mitchell let her our contract and she just starts singing in church and then yeah, I was born.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But my brother who's old, my older brother, he was an artist back in Memphis, Like he was in his croup called Children the Corn, and he was like it was like them Skinny Pimp, Three Sins Mafia, one of the first rappers who uh, Like so this is this is like my life, this is what I'm around. So like always like all the rap guys used to be at at my crib like smoked out my mama not there. Uh. But then my brother got locked up, and I think this was changed my life. This was I was like four years old and when he got locked up, I went in his room. I remember that. I remember four years old. I remember like it was just as I went in his room, I took all his CDs and cassettes and I snuck him under my bed. And at four years old, I had the keys to every every access to music that kids don't have access to. So like I at at like at a young age, I was. I took all my brother's stuff and I just took it and I played it on my Fisher Price uh they headphones and just listened and I promise you, like I just absorbed so much music. But like that's kind of like the bulk of where I started. And just like my brother, it was locked up for like like eight ten years. So like in between that, my whole life was dedicated to showing him that I could be Yo, I want to show I want to do what you couldn't have done because he couldn't. He was about to blow. Yeah, you know, he was about to be one of them dudes in Memphis. But literally even Project Pet shot my brother out in his and mister don't play like he shout him. I was like, yeah, that's my brother, Yeah, yeah, yeah, mister don't play album. Yeah my brother Lord Tyrek shout out to my brother John. But yeah, so like that's kind of where it started. So my mom's always supportive of me doing music because she wanted to do it, and uh, I was just doing a few talent shows. I think my first probably when I was eleven years old, a wrout my first song. I remember that and falling in love. I ain't know none about love. I remember that ship too week.
Speaker 1: But you heard love song the week keep was a week that was good, you know, something like, yeah, man, I've been good for the list.
Speaker 5: My first song was tracked.
Speaker 2: That was listen you but you had confidence. It was a heartbreak song, confidence and so like. But that was just kind of like my whole git Like I always wanted to be a songwriter, even in high school. I remember I went to Germantown and the talent show. Like I remember my ninth grade year. This girl wanted me to she wanted to do the talent show and she was like, I was like, I write the song, and literally she won the talent show and no. But then I kind of I kind of got tired. I was like, yo, niggas is she won? Musically inclined? I was like, hold on, I was thinking on the year book and I was just like, yeah, no, this ain't this on parallel and that that was when I realized that being a being a service, you probably not gonna have the all the love and support service. Yeah, being a service to somebody, you may not have all the love that you want, the respect that you think you deserve. So but but I was still you like honding on my craft, you know what I'm saying. But that was like the first time I realized high school Germantown that oh yeah, this is what that was ugly. Yeah, so you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: When you get in love in your high school as a.
Speaker 2: Songwriter, mad Love, I was playing tennis actually though I was actually playing tennis. Yeah, I got a tennis scholarship and everything. I was cold. What Yeah, I played tennis in high school.
Speaker 1: Had a pickleball.
Speaker 2: It's something new, right talking about it, right, It's.
Speaker 3: Like it's for like non I always wanted to play. Yeah, but it's weird, like floating in the air.
Speaker 1: All sorts of people play pickleball with big can actually be too athletic. First of all, there's a lot of skill involved, a lot of athletics. Is the involved. This ship Okay in court, this big, it's not that big. It's a full tennis court. There's only certain areas that the ball can go in lies.
Speaker 2: Folks behind you shaking their head. I just at this point pickleball.
Speaker 5: Not pickleball. You was playing tennis.
Speaker 2: Cod Yeah, playing tennis. But you know, I still love music, like music was always in my in my in my bloodstream. Literally when I was in high school, I was working with I was working at this studio in Memphis. This is where I kind of got my name as JOSSI.
Speaker 1: Uh, what were you doing at the studio.
Speaker 2: I was writing songs for all the chop niggas, paper bag Money, you want hooks.
Speaker 1: And you going to the studio was just you saying I need to be in here. Yes, I'm not getting paid nothing. I was getting paid.
Speaker 2: I was getting paid.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying if you did, if you didn't place nothing, you wasn't getting paid.
Speaker 2: No, Like, yeah, I wasn't getting paid. But the thing is like, so you know DJ litt Larry, he's Yo. Gotti's right here, man. He had this thing called trap House and Traphouse, Shoe megas, like everybody was in this studio. This just like two thousand and nine to two thousand and it got raided twenty eleven and it was the Saturday in my life it's over. And like I was in school, literally but like I used to get mad, but I used to get like a five hundred one thousand for all the pimps, all the all the pimps who want to turn their life around, be a rapper. I would be there. I met young Jockta, I met Rock over there, like young Doff used to be there before. Dolph was like really, dof you know what I'm saying. So he was all just you know, I was just a kid in high school around all these folks, you know what I'm saying. And literally like one day I got a call, I'm bauck to go. They say, do not pull up to the studio, bro, this shit is getting raided right now. And like I was. It was on the news. My mama like what you this? Ain't this?
Speaker 1: This were you?
Speaker 2: Oh? My thought? It was just like it was just crazy. I cried, I was. I was sick.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was really sick because that's all we had in Memphis was was the trap House. Like if anybody knows about Memphis, and like around that time, from like two thousand and eight to two thousand and eleven twelve, like that was all we had. That was it, and so like I was super depressed, didn't know what I was gonna do in my life. I was in school, didn't want to be at school in college and uh well didn't want to be in high school. I had to go to college the next year. I hated it. But god, man, I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you, did you go in your tennis scholarship?
Speaker 2: I went on a tennis scholarship college you show I went to I went to college on my Tennessee on my on my scholarship. Man, like I was cold. Stop playing with me.
Speaker 7: Cold.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Somebody got to have some footage.
Speaker 1: Somewhere we got.
Speaker 2: Definitely, my mama didn't come in onto my games. It's so bad, you know, mama dude, Like, but so she was an English Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom was at work and my daddy thought basketball was bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: My pop mama usually selling double doing music. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazyn. So nobody came to my game to recording, which is crazy, you know what I'm saying. That was just me, but but literally it was a I think, Uh thanks to trap House, I got connected with my boy Bug and Web but the machine they worked at the studio at Trap House and they leave me with this producer from VA who was signed to Timberland and his name was wiz Dom and Wiz was looking for a songwriter. And literally he called me. He met me on Twitter. You dealing each other like he was like, yo, I heard you. You called and Memphis. You know what I'm saying, I need a writer.
Speaker 5: And I was like, yes, you are away at college and that I was.
Speaker 2: I was, you know, I came back from h U T Chat to come back to UM because some family situation happened. I had come back home, so I went to school that U M. I went to Memphis. Yeah, I went to Chat one year. You know what I'm saying. I came back like it was too much stuff going on. I had to come back. And like you, if you know anything about Chattanooga and Memphis, they do not. We won't get along like Chatta. Like at the time when you went to ut Chat, everybody wanted to fight. It was just bad. Like I had a roommate got ran over.
Speaker 7: It was bad.
Speaker 2: Like it was just like you can't walk off the campus because you about to like you can't you gotta stay on the campus.
Speaker 5: Just beef between the two schools.
Speaker 2: It's no, not the schools, it's beef between the city. Don't like Memphis niggas. They just they just think we just boogie up at you know yea yeah, so yeah, it was just kind of crazy. I had to get up out of ut chat because it was a lot of stuff going on. But UH went back home, did University Memphis. I'm leaving school. This was twenty twelve. Got a call from Wiz and Wiz was like, uh, y'all, can you fly to Miami for a week? I need you? I went home. I bet my parents. My pap was like, yep, you can go. And I went out there and I stayed there for six years and that was that was That was it. That was the start of like who Johnsy was week? I was supposed to be there for a week. Yeah, from twenty twelve to twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you fund that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Let's talk about survival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, survival.
Speaker 2: I ain't go front my pop bless me, my pop, bless me. My pop was like, yo, this is what he said. He said, Yo. This is like He's like yo, since I ain't paying for your college. This is your college. He was like, he was like, I'm giving you four years to make it. If you're like if you're doing four years and all right, we were just what we're gonna do, you know what I'm saying. So kind of like that was him, that was that was his, that was his. My pop John, My papa is cold. My papa is super cold. N So my pap was like he was and I just think he's just saw like he saw it. He knew, he knew who his daughter was. And I'm just like him, like I'm cold, like I'm just in so many ways. So he was like, you know, if this is what you want to do, this is this is what you're gonna do now, Like I struggled, like he I couldn't live the life that I wanted out bro, Like he didn't give me a lot of money. No well no no no no no so no no no no. He just gave me money for gas and good stuff like that. It was good and I was blessed for that. But like, so Wiz got a pub deal because he did Up Up and Away for Low Way and he did a few other songs, and like I said, he was with Timbland, So I'm around Timbling Timbling. I think they had a house in Opa Loaca and they let us stay there. So I'm in Opa Loaca. So we was staying there and then we had to start paying rent on it. But like for a few months, we were just staying there. And so Wiz, like I said, he really like he took me under his wings and was like yo, he was like my big bro. So he was like yo, Boom, like let's just let's just cook. Were supposed to be like the new tim in miss that was a whole life friend. We're gonna I'm gonna write the songs you're gonna produce. And like literally like Tim and MISSI just like took us under their wings. I met Missy and she was like, yo, come stay with me and boom. I stayed with Missy for a few for a few weeks, stay you know. So it was just kind of like a learning experience.
Speaker 1: Stay with me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nah, she let me come place. It will make room for you, nah bro.
Speaker 2: Like literally, Missy, I remember my twenty first birthday, like she got me shit faced. I remember that. But I learned so much from Missy being you know, in that situation. But as far as having money, nah, bro literally like we was faking it till we made it.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: I would pull up, I would take wizards, jeep, take it to South Beach, get girls, bring them to the studio and we vibing at the studio. It's like Hit Factory. I'm talking about Hit Factory in twenty thirteen fourteen. It was just a different time. It was like popping. Everybody was there, like you had like that's how I met Wayne. You had the cash money over there. You would have carry Hilson in one room, Polo had done to be in the next room. Bibro would be upstairs with like it was as what is James Posner. I was a huge James Posner. He was an amazing songwriter. And I was like James Posts upstairs. No, I was just like such a kid and like I just wanted to just be around all of this. And literally I didn't make no songs, like literally no songs. But we probably I mean because like we just was we had to sneak studio times. So like think about this is when around the time when Simbling was kind of he was I was after the promiscuous girl, after the sexy back, so he was in it was a weird time for him and that that that little Tom, but he was always in the studio so like we didn't have to like we didn't We only could work when niggas went to sleep, right Like so I'm talking about we would be in the studio till four in the morning. I'm like, just And that was how I became a people, like a person that just everybody know, cause I was like, you know, if I ain't working, niggas, gonn no, why am Yeah? So I started going out. I started like hit in Miami, like Super Tomboys stud like the only one in Miami, and I'm in all the clubs.
Speaker 1: Niggas.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh the letter in like because I had to figure out, like I'm not working, so let me go outside and you know, use it in a network, you know, build my network. But literally we would come back to the I would come back to the studio, whiz it's still there, banging on beats. I was like, nigga, you have fun with that. I'm not just gonna sit here and not work, you know what I'm saying. But like we were like five or six in the morning, we would get in and work, and that was kind of like where I started honeing on my craft. But like it was, it was a weird time. Literally we would just be in the room just being like flies on the wall. When so and so walks in or Kugnye walks in, we just there. It's just not being were able to work. It was just I hated it. I hated that. Like I guess it's it was artists development of like going who you are, but boy, I hated that shit. Like just sit and they're like, hey, I'm the one. You just want to get in cold, like you should try me.
Speaker 5: It's tough waiting on your turn.
Speaker 3: That's not people and some people don't have the patience for it and fuck up a lot of opportunities jumping out there trying to prove that they're do one because like you said.
Speaker 5: You already knew who you were and you knew what you will become, and you knew, like.
Speaker 3: I can compete by your time and meaning that place wasn't your time neither, because that that ship wasn't booked for you, you know what I mean. Like, but that's the thing people don't understand, uh, industry etiquette, right, I've had plenty of you know who may be dope writers come in there that came with somebody else that keep trying.
Speaker 5: To throw words in pop.
Speaker 2: If you don't get here, I tell you, and I tell I tell one of my boys, you gotta get them out of there. Bro, like you're doing a lot. I'm quick to be like, bro, come on, bro, like I'm not like, I hate that.
Speaker 5: But they don't understand that though.
Speaker 3: It's it's just ignorance to it more so than it's about them being disrespectful.
Speaker 5: They just don't even know. They thinking, oh, I'm here now, shit, let me show my talent.
Speaker 2: I remember one session, you know, Jim Beans. Jim Beans was Jim Beans is a He did a lot of vocal production for like he did like the Promiscutor, He did all of that shit, and he did also the Empire. But Jim Beans is one of the first people who made me feel comfortable in the studio. Like literally, I walked in the first day off the plane actually coming to Miami. I walked into this session he was working on and he was like, you want to write? And I just sat there. I was quiet. I just sat and paid attention. I wasn't trying to like overstep boundaries, and he just looked at me and was like, you want to help me, right? I was like, wow, yes, yes, And I just thought that moment was so dope because he like let me into his world because I'm like, this is jim Beans like he did carry I know, I know everybody. I'm a super friends for I know every thing about Timbling and MISSI static if you ask me any questions about how they started. I know everything about these guys. I studied Missy, I studied till I study Magou. I love these niggas like so it was almost like I was just I knew who Jim Ban's was. So it was just like oh my god. And h just those moments where just people just want to like include you, those are the times that I just cause I wasn't gonna include myself. When I went to Missy's house, she she had a studio in my house. So now I can just wake up in the morning at work too. Yeah, And the thing about Missy ain't nobody coming in our house. So you have to teach yourself how to record. So I had to learn pro tools and I'm so glad, like she'd like, I learned how to record myself thanks to Missy. She taught me a valuable thing because working with Wiz. I didn't know. I was just I thought I had to write to all his beats because he's my producer, even if I didn't like it. I was like, I can't stand his beat, but I'm gonna write to it because it's my partner. You know what I'm saying. She was she was chewing them now, like Nigga, this ain't it. Nigga, this ain't good. She's like, nah, she was eating whizz up because she was trying to Like. She was like, this what I do to timbling? Like you know how many times I told timbling? Nah, Nigga, this ain't it. She's like Jozzi. She was like, you don't got to write to every every song, every every beat, because it's in your face. Like if a producer gives you one beat and you don't like it, be like, YO, play some more beats. You don't have to write. And I was like word like I didn't know that. I thought that, oh this is the beat, Oh this is so and so this is a big producer, so he knows. But no, like sometimes you may have to challenge your producer and be like, Nah, this ain't it. What else you got? It ain't it for me, you know what I'm saying. So Missy taught me that like and after that I was quick to telling Nigga, let me play another one.
Speaker 1: But I think I think your reverence for the craft in the beginning, you know, had you developing something that you probably weren't realizing you were developing, just being ready whatever it is right, Like I don't like to be but I.
Speaker 5: Want to because it's two sides to that.
Speaker 3: It's two sides to that, because I mean, the reps in itself gives you an opportunity to better yourself and better you know what I mean, Like for when that right record does come and the truth matters. As many people say they know in this ship, no one really, no, I don't know, we don't know. It could be something that we could play in the car every day and think is the greatest song in the world and nobody gives a fuck. And being on the flip side, it could be that throwaway record, throw away and Nigga be like, the world loves it.
Speaker 2: Did you have a throw away joint that people like you.
Speaker 1: Lying that wasn't four or five artists passed on it, just sitting there. I had one more day left in the studio that was paid for, and I was like, I was like, I was like, I record all the songs I wanted to record. They was like, well, you got one more day, so whatever you want to do. I was like, I was like, got this one beat and I'm gonna record this one right here, record that song. When Nigga Lane comes to what you're working on that, I'm like, this this bullshit you want to do? Want to do the bridge? He dow the Bridge. I'm like, all right, I'm just niggas call me. Two days later the nigga you did it? I was like, what you want?
Speaker 2: Nigga?
Speaker 1: I started naming all sorts of records. No this, please don't go. I said, what yo? I'm sure? Sure? Are you sure? Guys? How'd you? I wrote and produced the whole thing, but I was still like this kind of trush you sure?
Speaker 2: That's crazy?
Speaker 1: I watched that. I watched that song go from three spins to three thousand spins to six thousand. I was in the office every day, like what's going on there? Like you are it's happening. You got a hit record, You have a hit record. I watched us come out and sell more records than everybody.
Speaker 2: What you thought was the hit on that joint?
Speaker 1: On sex, Left and Pain?
Speaker 2: Which one would you go with?
Speaker 1: Everything was crazy.
Speaker 2: Now, but which one was you gonna go with?
Speaker 1: Over?
Speaker 2: Please don't go?
Speaker 1: I was just curious, Like, I mean, we had a wedding song on there, it would have been crazy, and we eventually went with Heartbreaker, But Heartbreaker was on there. I was kind of into my tempo bag, so I was thinking maybe the Coldest would have some play, you know what I'm saying. I was like, we put out this Coldest thing, I would be dancing a little bit. I'd already you know, fucked up a video dancing and ship, but I was I was willing to try another one.
Speaker 2: Hilarious, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: It was my body like through so many joints. The label was like, nah, trust me, this is it.
Speaker 2: And then Motherfuckers was shout out to the an O because I wish like, there's no an R. I don't it's scary. A and R is a some there's a few dopees, but like shout out to that an R.
Speaker 1: Well, thing from those days, like your executive was the fucking an ore those days. Nigga Barry Hankerson knew music like he wasn't no, he wasn't no lawyer or no. You know what I'm saying. He knew music, you know what I'm saying. He was with the Whinings. He wished Gladys Knight. You know what I'm saying. Him R Kelly Oliah like this, nigga knew music when when we put out Freaky as my first single, don't look that up and ship went bad? He said. He he listened to the project, listen to all the songs, and he called me in the office. He said, don't worry about it. I'm gonna take control from here. We're gonna change your life. I was like, I don't know what that means, but do what you do. He said, this is the.
Speaker 7: Song I deserve and here that's his history.
Speaker 1: So we we missed those executives who understand music because now it's numbers. Now, it's analytics. Now, it's chasing after fact.
Speaker 3: It's baseball all yeah, you know what I mean, it's absolutely an analytic game. And that ain't no, there's no uh, there's no heart in analytics.
Speaker 5: It's just numbers, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So if if you don't feel it, because that's all this ship is. I'm not replaying a song I did not feel. I'm the fuck what nobody else tell me? I didn't feel it personally, it's just me my feeling.
Speaker 1: Oh it's gonna be the biggest that's cool.
Speaker 3: It's cool, and y'all push whatever button you think you're gonna push it, and it may work. I'm willing to stand behind and stand in front of what feels good to me.
Speaker 2: That was, and that was one thing talking about Missy. I didn't have structure in my songs. My songs, I really didn't know. You know, that's one thing I love about Max Martin. It's some Max Martin structure. You know, you're going to get the AA, You're gonna get the A, B A, you know what I'm saying. You're gonna get a pop structure. You're gonna get the hook, big hook off on the bot on the down beat. I ain't none of that, So I was. It was just melodies and feeling and she was just like loving it and I was, and she she never really told me how to structure a.
Speaker 1: Song because she didn't want to put those those barriers she did.
Speaker 2: She didn't, Bro, she didn't, And like that's one thing I learned, I know, like about like what helped me. She she was like, yo, she wanted me to keep that feeling. She wanted me to keep that substance and just And I'm really a student, bro, I love to learn, Like I still love to learn. If you can't teach me nothing in the room, I be like, I'm I'm all right to go to the club. And she if I don't learn nothing, like I want to learn everything and soak up. So just being around Missy she taught me that. She she she taught me without telling me, like nah, this is where the hooks supposed to go. This that I learned that just really just just being around just great, just being in the rooms and being in flying the wall. Like nobody really just taught me how to write a song. I had to just learn from. Oh, ship Shun Garrett is in with timbling. Let me see what he's doing. Oh he's very pop like with his ship. So I'm okay, Oh that's where he goes. Oh so the hook is higher than the pre hook. So I got to go higher on the pre hug on the hook than the pre you know what I'm saying. I was, Yeah, I didn't know the build up, like I didn't know, you know, It's just everything felt good. So like my whole life was just literally learning. I was like just in school of like learning this ship. I didn't get paid until well I got Yeah, I got paid.
Speaker 5: That's not forget that money.
Speaker 2: Was gone when I got to Miami. That ship was done. Because I thought I was gonna get.
Speaker 1: Some say that because it's more on the I thought I was gonna be more.
Speaker 2: I was on the way to the studio. Who need a right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, I know from him that's the that's the thousand ju ju. I know he promised me four thousand of other night because he means what it was, Bro, you can spend this, but you had a you had a different kind of hunger for this ship in order to in order to in order to digest that information, like you have to have a hunger for that.
Speaker 5: Everybody's not willing.
Speaker 1: Everybody's not and everybody can't sit in those sessions or sit in those places and figure out what they're doing there if they're not working they'll be sitting at anybody. This ain't correct. No, hung, I'm out. But to be able to sit there and say you might have said to the whole session like this. It wasn't until the transition out of the second verse into the second hook you said what the fuck was that? Yeah, and that's what you needed to go to that next place that you're gonna go to. Yes because creative.
Speaker 2: No agree, bro, because I'm telling you. At the time when I was around Timbling, he was doing real pop songs. And I remember the day like it was yesterday. Uh, they brought Bryson Tilla in the studio. This is before Bryson dropped Chop Soul. They was like, Yo, you need to sign this dude.
Speaker 7: Tim was like.
Speaker 2: Nah, And I looked at I was looking at Wiz and I was like that nigga is cold like Bryce Tiller. So he was playing all the shit that he was about to drop, like the don't He was playing it all and I was just like, oh, this shit is so cold. So me and w said, Yo, we're FINSA started ship called twenty nineties R and B. So the twenty in the nineties, the two thousands, you know what I'm saying. And then the nineties of the R and B, so we was like, Yo, we're going to just do R and B like the way we like it. And literally we started making songs that sounded like classic Aliyah, classic total all that shit. And then twenty fourteen that Nigga Bites until the jop chopped so and we was like it begins like we knew, like, oh man, this is the sound, like this is what we here. The sound was a little darker because you know, but it was the chop soul, but it was R and B and we was just like, damn, I didn't have a voice on tip to timbling to be like, yo, bro, you're crazy.
Speaker 5: This is crazy kicked the student.
Speaker 2: And we didn't just talk like that, you know what I'm saying. So so I didn't want to like say that, but I was just like, this is yo, this song is gonna go. Yeah. I heard it, and so I remember when we went back to Missy house and we went to Jersey, they were Missy and I was like, Missy, I'm working on my album and she was just like you need to let you need to let him hear this because she was like, I think this will help Timbling get his stride back with like with that's with R and B. She she heard something in it. So I played a few songs for Timberland and that was when he started working on twenty twenty Vision with Justin Timberlake. And like, I really do feel like I helped influence We helped influence Timbling to do some R and B on that twenty twenty Vision because like I remember, he was just like, Yo, this is crazy. He flew up to La to work and we just we had a room. He gave us a room that was beautiful. I was like, yeah, nobody came in there.
Speaker 5: We had a room.
Speaker 2: I remember I saw James punl Roy for the first song was like since I always called him since, and he came in and showed love. But like we had a room in the back and we were just like, oh, we're here, like we we got our room. Tiana Taylor that was the first artist I worked with. That was my first artist I actually worked with was Tiana and we did a song man Monster Bro and I felt like Tiana, she was underrated, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, we got in with her and we did a few songs and I was like, Yo, this is it, and yeah, it was just one of those moments. Was just like I was around all of these people, like justin Timber, like in the studio when he's doing twenty twenty vision, I'm just like in the room if I felt like little Michael like what is that?
Speaker 5: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: It was really it was really one of those moments where I was just like, I'm ready put me in. I wish one of these nigga would be like Jozzie, what you got? Nobody? Nobody was like. I was just like yo, y'all hello. It was the weirdest I remember a few times. I probably like definitely like cry, you know what I'm saying because I was just like, what is like nobody's calling my name? And Polo to done. He hit me up because I was kind of getting fed up over the temper. But I was like, yeah, niggas ain't y'all. Don't y'all ain't pouring into me like I think y'all should. And Polo was like, yo, He's like yo, con Orlando, he got a Johnny Right studio that big comp him and Polo saw it. Polo was like, yo, let me manage you. And I did Monica's whole first album, I mean my first album, whole last album co read. I wrote that entire album. Damn. I had like six songs on the album and I did. I did her single.
Speaker 1: I can hear Polo right now. She wrote like fifteen songs an.
Speaker 3: Hour could But Polo Polo, he identifies talent and has been doing that for years.
Speaker 1: Polo got Polo has that gift. They don't give him credit for his his mind.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not Jones. That niggas call and he's been.
Speaker 1: He knows that ship. He knows ship, and he knows he knows back country and everybody.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, niggas diving in over there.
Speaker 1: I remember that they call me nigga.
Speaker 2: Got one came around, Nigga came for sure around the world. Yeah, that's a show, the show for show Like that was the That was when I got my money, like I got my like that was when I kind of, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Got your real opportunity, my opportunity.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. The horrible pub deal. We didn't talk about that Marble pub.
Speaker 5: I mean, why not why not talk about it?
Speaker 1: We've all been there.
Speaker 5: But you know what I'm saying, did you get more than seventy five?
Speaker 2: I got? You know I did? I did get more than that, but like and I guess I'm no, you did?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I wish I would have the pub did what?
Speaker 1: Did you have an nbr C?
Speaker 2: Yes, what the pub deal was? Oh and it's still Oh my god, so the ship is y'all you're ready for this show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right?
Speaker 2: Got the PUB deal in twenty fifteen? When did Kanye come out with?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: The album when the couple just didn't have no joints on it?
Speaker 1: It was blank?
Speaker 2: What was that? What album?
Speaker 1: Was this?
Speaker 7: A couple of years ago?
Speaker 2: That was like twenty what?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: He's this?
Speaker 2: When dropped bro? Twenty sixteen? All right, cool boom, all right? I got the contract twenty fifteen twenty Like towards the end of twenty sixteen, Kanye is and genius because he already knew that album's albums were about to be done. He knew that the streaming world was about to come crazy. The MD the deal I was in said that no songs, only one song counted, but they all had to be on a CD. On album albums are extinct they're about to be extinct in twenty sixteen, bro, So that means anything that I did that was just going to go on streaming platforms was not going to be counting. So I was gonna be in this bitch forever my whole life.
Speaker 1: How many songs though, bro?
Speaker 2: It was like seven songs full song, yes, bro, like bro.
Speaker 3: I fourteen off the top top if you write the whole, if you co write the top line. Now, ever'y talking about twenty one twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Sounded cool because you only heard seven and then no.
Speaker 2: And not only that, I didn't know if the album, but.
Speaker 1: You figured you could get it all done and one.
Speaker 2: Not only that though, yeah, but not only that. It was a lot of ship going on with the lawyer. It was bad. It was I got I got a swindled bad. But that's when I learned. I learned a lot of shit from that. So you know what I'm saying. We ain't gonna go too crazy, but I learned a lot.
Speaker 1: So you feel like you're a lawyer. Wasn't my lawyer?
Speaker 2: Was wasn't my lawyer. My lawyer was given to me by somebody else. That wasn't that. That wasn't my lawyer. So let's just say that you know your best interest, they have my best interest, you know what I'm saying. But at the end of the day, like I worked so hard, I was like, that's cool. But but that's the thing I thought it was gonna be on. I didn't know the album part, Like I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: You couldn't have known that because that's in the future, right, And nobody knew that the future was going to be that crazy except for the people on the other side. So we saw iTunes and we're like, okay, iTunes now were separating songs. Now you can get a song without getting.
Speaker 3: Honestly, none of this ship is a surprise accident design.
Speaker 1: But the people writing the contracts you couldn't what I'm saying that you couldn't have.
Speaker 2: And nobody told me, she's this is a great contract you should do, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like, okay, cool, I need this and I needed some money. When you're desperate, that's what happens when you're desperate. And just why you never be desperate for money. Just sit down and just just don't go out. Just sit you ass down and eat some.
Speaker 1: More, or you figure out your way to work for the desperation, right exactly, because if you if you are desperate, if you do need that money, then sometimes there's a bullet that you just have to bite in the beginning and you say, I'm going to be patient and work through this and I'm just going to do bigger and better on the other side.
Speaker 6: True.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Because most people that complain about the bad deal never did nothing beyond that deal, right Like, honestly, like you're not complaining about that deal, You're just like it was fucked up.
Speaker 5: I made it through it.
Speaker 3: Most of the people that be jumping and hollering about these man they fucked me over. And I would never because they never did anything else, honestly, because the more you do, the unless you think about the sacrifices that you had to make to get to the spot that you're talking about it.
Speaker 2: And some people really get Jaden really mentally. I know people who really have lost their minds, like I've lost their minds because because played with their money. You know what I'm saying, Well, essence is playing with the which is playing with their life.
Speaker 3: On God, I tell people all the time though, whenever you know because I've had those conversations with a lot of those same type people, maybe the same people, where I tell them, I said, don't ever get it confused. That contract will not outlast your talent.
Speaker 5: That sound good, but it's true, it's really the truth.
Speaker 3: Honestly, You're gonna go through the ship, and yes it's gonna it's gonna get tough. But if you really got it, if you really got it that ship, and especially as you start putting up numbers, then there's this thing called renegotiation and.
Speaker 1: Reversion, you know what I mean. All the reds, all the reds.
Speaker 3: Like that is really what this business is about. Because think about all the deals that people have done with artists, with writers, with producers that never materialize and they never got that money back.
Speaker 5: Imagine being on that side of the business. Because I've been on that side of the business.
Speaker 1: Spend I just believed then nothing, nothing ever came back and been accused of not being.
Speaker 5: Supportive when the bag was spent, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So there's two ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this R and B money thing, we give you both sides.
Speaker 2: Of publishing, and I understand, like there's two s.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 1: I have three albums, one two, three six uh fors of nature one man pain. Ask me how many statements I've seen already?
Speaker 2: Know how many STI I bet you like one? Two, none, one.
Speaker 1: I can believe that though one to how many artists royalties I've ever received from those three albums.
Speaker 2: Not that that's crazy, that's crazy for.
Speaker 1: The course, when if I if I wallow in that, if I lay in that and let that be the end of me, we never get to know but one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But I'm sorry, bro, the industry is that's sick. I just think people deserve like things should be fair. I think it should be some type of la Let me.
Speaker 1: Tell you what the problem is, and we don't have to go too far into it. But artists don't have unions. I know, we don't have a governing or protective body over us. It's designed to take advantage of us. The entire business. I don't care if you're black, white, whatever you are. This entire business is designed to to to to take advantage of you until you know better to do better. Now, what is great about it is that one moment can change every motherfucking thing, right one.
Speaker 3: Record record, imagine being able to imagine, able to be able to live your life and make money off of one game winner. That one game win, nigga got lucky here one Now you dancing and saying this motherfucker all over the world for the rest of your life, for.
Speaker 7: The rest of your life.
Speaker 2: That's that's the thing about this music.
Speaker 3: Maybe you can hit the lottery any day you wake up and this ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just what it is. You get the lottery.
Speaker 2: Not that true. I've definitely hit the lottery because because first let's let's go to get to what's your first placement and what's your first was it Demonica' stuff? My first placement was Monica Baby, Baby Baby just right for me with Little Wayne. I wrote that, and uh, I did Fergie Milk Money Ship, I wrote, I wrote that that was like, uh, that was like one of my first big placements I did with Polo, So yeah, that was that was it. And then literally I get a call for my boy, business Boy. It was one of my favorite producers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he linked me with business Boys from the mill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to my next single. He's incredible. Shout out to biz But literally that's my brother and like he hit me. He gave this guy my number. Andy Steinway who became my manager. He came for the publishing world and he was He called me. He was like, yo, I know you're in Miami. I can't do nothing with I can't really help do nothing for you in Miami.
Speaker 5: But you in Miami.
Speaker 2: He was like, if you come to l A like we can work. I was like, I got so many sessions. I started working with a whole bunch of like rap Like this was around the time extentation was popping, Like the whole Miami was lit. Like I'm talking about all the all those artists was at my Boys studio. We was in Brickle at the top. It was like twenty guns on the table. Yeah, but in Miami, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, so like I'm talking about Jimmy Duvall, who was amazing, but he didn't look at me for triple for excentation. So like we all like this was our whole crew. Like we was there and I was just getting money. I get a call. This was actually I'm a little sick, and I think there was COVID before we knew what COVID was. Bro I was sick as a dog. I'm laying in bed. My manager hit me up, was like, Yo, you want to work with this new artist Lelana's X. And I'm like and he was like, Billy Ray Sorrus, I was like, hell yeah, let's go. And I was like he was like, they want you to work on this song. And I was like, fuck yeah, I'm sick. But when tomorrow, I'm like, fuck I'm sick. But I was like, fuck it, I'm gonna going to this session. Like some just was like, you gotta do this session. And so literally I go to the session and they tell me the story about this song, how this is how they do Black people were so so fucked up. They took Lana's song X song, which is old Time Road off the country charts because they said it wasn't country, but it's because he was black. You are we all know, well it really really what it really was, right, So they did this. So now Billy Ray's telling me the whole story about what happened with Aki Breaky Heart. I didn't know about Achy breaking Heart. I just know Billy Ray, Syris from and Molly Cyrus. I used to love Hannah Montena and my mama, you know, she thinks he a good looking white guy. Used to always hear that he's good looking. You know what I'm saying, that's just one of the things in the house. So boom. So he's telling me, you know that the song actually was number two. They would not let Achy Breaky Heart go to number one, and they took it out the country shots too. They did the boy dirty. They did them dirty too. So he was like, I felt so bad. I was like, damn, bro, the game is so crazy. So I was just like, it's just like we're like underdogs. It was like the underdogs of this shit. And so literally I got an opportunity to be a part of one of the biggest songs in the world and ever bro ever, and then after that, shit just started going like it was just I was on them. I was on them.
Speaker 5: Before you go to that. What are the numbers on that record at this point? Do you even know?
Speaker 2: God, I don't even know. You see what be the numbers? Look at the numbers.
Speaker 5: Numbers absolutely passed. Look at the numbers for me, absolutely pastmad.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's like fifteen times, sixteen times, it's fifteen times. It's like fifteen, eighteen or eighteen million. It's crazy. It's just crazy.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: That's it's crazy, bro, and like uh Airbnb, just like we're constantly getting sinks on it. It's that that that that just and I remember I was at Coachella when it hit number one, and that ship was when I felt like that, when I felt like that nigga, I feel like that nigga that I was. It was crazy. It was so crazy coach Schello with a number one, like everybody niggas is on your ass. I never felt that shit, and I didn't like it. After a minute, I was like, all right, not these niggas. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: It's just what it is, just what I tell people when you hot, bro, enjoy being hot.
Speaker 2: Bro. I realized, see, Bro, I don't really check. I'm not a chart checker. I don't care about the charts. But now that when I had all time I wrote, I realized, like songs really only last like one week on number one, and you don't bro, that shit was nineteen weeks number one, So like after the third week, you're just you're not taking it in. I wasn't processing it like it just I like, I wish I could have bottled that feeling in because like after the sixteenth was like what the fuck is going Like we was number one for nineteen weeks. That was the craziest shit in the world, and like it made me realize, like, damn, pop world is different. The pop world is just a different beast. But I was also scared of the pop world because I didn't want to be that. I knew that I was so much more than that. I didn't want to be caught up into Yeah, I didn't want that what you said, the one hit Wonder. I was scared of being the one wonder. That song was too big and for some people, a song can be bigger than the person and the artist is like, can't come back from it, you know what I'm saying. So and then Lemonade came with Don Tollivan Nafy. Yeah, that song came and it brought and yeah, yeah, yeah yeah I wrote that and literally that hit top ten Billboard charts. So it was like hit number two, number five, number five, number two, I think.
Speaker 3: And it's funny when you mentioned that song, I hear you, I hear you.
Speaker 5: I damn it feel like you freestyled that man. It was it was life.
Speaker 1: Because the way you sing, I just know the way you sing, like you just like not having those barriers, no barriers with how you right and how you flow melodically.
Speaker 2: I just be like, yes, bro, no barriers, No what you never had, can't bag my bitch, can't miss what you never had? Like yeah, but literally that was that and then Boom missed the Right Now COVID hit, and I thought I was gonna have a hit with with twenty one Savage and Drake and I missed the Right Now with Metro booming Me and my boy tape Ko Bang did that, and I was like, this is gonna be the biggest song. And then COVID hit and it didn't do what it was supposed to do, but culturally it was a big song, like that should have been on the charts, Like I know that, Like if it was no COVID, if Niggas is outside, missed the Right Now would have been that joint. And after that everything just started going. Then Summer Walker Body, and then then it just started going crazy.
Speaker 5: That record, that record, Oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, it's so good. Special that jack Quee you, that was one of my.
Speaker 5: Favorite Should we go into this story? Should we go into this story?
Speaker 2: What story? What talking?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, you don't even know this story. Oh so Jack Quees pulls.
Speaker 2: Up on us.
Speaker 3: Word, oh, like just you know, just pull up, just came kicked it one time, right, and you know niggas, you know, studio ship and.
Speaker 1: You're like, can I play this record for y'all?
Speaker 3: He's like, nigga, yeah, Nick passing the ox. He plays that record and the studio stops.
Speaker 5: He plays you. The studio stops, and niggas was.
Speaker 1: Like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 5: You're like, yeah, you know, you know, we've been thinking about.
Speaker 1: I said, thinking, we let that nigga hap it. This record smash for you smash. So you call bird Man and you tell him this is the single, this is the video, nigga. This is your foot in the door, right, nigga, this is planet nigga. Nigga, you are here. That record crazy, cold bloody incredible. I write records like I rate records, like if I'm mad, if I'm mad that I don't have the record, if I'm mad that I that I didn't produce it.
Speaker 2: I heard that record, I was like, I really went through that. That happened to me. Like I wrote that song in Miami with London on the ruck and shot. I was talking to this girl and Shotty was hell bro, and she hit my keys. She hit my keys. So like when I say it was two thirty in the morning, I got a car, it was literally two thirty in the morning. Like London, we work late. In Miami, hit hit factory. Niggas work late. He's like, Y'll pull up to the studio and I can't find my keys. She didn't want me to leave. I'm trying to get up out of there, and like she just made it so hard for me to go to that session. I was like, show that you like fucking my whole vibe. Wrote that song because I'd rather be with you and all your bullshit, like I'm still with you, like I as soon as I got back home col up. So it was just like you know what I'm saying. So that song was really about shot Is you know who it is? Every time you hear she like this my song, like you crazy? Are you happy? You happy that you brought me hell all that day?
Speaker 3: Everything about that song is right now to me, Like and I've told you this every time I see you, how much I love your work.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: That's my favorite song you've written that I've heard.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That means to this day.
Speaker 5: That means a lot of I love that today Alone is close. Alone is close.
Speaker 2: Thank you, bro.
Speaker 3: So you know I looked at I looked at my what the ship that they send you of, like.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Spotify rapper, Yeah, yeah, your wrap ups.
Speaker 3: You know everybody you know you have it for all your Yeah, the platforms that you listen to. That record was at the top.
Speaker 1: I love alone.
Speaker 2: I love to hear that.
Speaker 5: I love that record for you. That's my ship you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everybody goes through that little moment and that's what I love. I love writing songs that are personal, like personal like you. I just feel like even when I write songs for C B, like I love when he sings when he's vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I don't he's untouchable, but R and B I want him to be. Yeah, I want you to when he singing, when he's singing in a vulnerable Paris at the at the at the at the show in Paris, and he's saying when he sang please don't judge me, and I'm sitting there like, am I about to cry? I gotta relax because when he's in that space, it's over. And I'm watching the entire crowd, like that's my son on stage.
Speaker 7: He's just it's hard as good, as hard as good as you know.
Speaker 2: No really talk. And that's why, like John Cuez was it was such a perfect song film because it's like you're you're being vulnerable, bro, like you're not trying to say fuck these holes, none of this.
Speaker 1: It's just like literally to me, that song established him as a true R and B artist. Thank you. That means a lot, like and it's everything I think, you know, it's those things where everything happens at the right time, you writing the melody is all these things. But then his delivery. He sounds impeccable on that record. He sounds amazing on that record. I said, yeah, you're you're you're exactly who you think you are. Damn Now he's torn all over the place. And for me, I feel like the foundation is that record. Foundation is that record because because late at night, okay, where you are what you're doing that one right there?
Speaker 2: You know, it'd be so crazy to me. Like that's why I feel like it's sometimes we need to have like oh cheese or like people around us who talk to be like, yo, you need to get back in the studio. With John Zy you and we need to get back you know, somebody who's in our ears to make that situation happen, because there was no way that we just did you just do one, We just do one. And I always say that to him. I'm like, there's no way you could have used me anytime you want. I'm here. I've always extended myself to them, and like, yo, use me, just don't misuse me. Use me though, I'm here to be used, like you know what I'm saying, And like it's just so crazy because like that's what this industry is. It's a it's a service industry where we work, you make the hits. And the fact that we only caught lightning one time and that was the only time you work, it is so crazy that we should have definitely.
Speaker 1: Definitely got to give definitely come on, two, three more, come on, man, you gotta do it. He sent me something to get on that I'm about to get on, and when I send it back, I'm saying, also, JOSSI said we gotta get back in, and we said catch lightning again.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's when you're really really good when you just make shoot they do a hook and sound good. Like, now you just cheating. Now you now you're being disrespectful. You trying to get sucked up because everybody can't do that.
Speaker 2: Everybody can't do it, all right, what the people have been waiting for?
Speaker 1: People have been waiting for. In your journeys, you're studying this music thing. I know you've come across to some artists that have influenced you in a way. They become your top five, your top five mm hm, top five? Hey, your top five?
Speaker 4: Ay he singer already be song I know you're young, but I know you know because I know your show and your god and tell us ya.
Speaker 1: Yes, rapp.
Speaker 2: Man, it's crazy.
Speaker 7: Josey's tip. Fuck, I agree.
Speaker 1: We got to get this nigga better, piano man ship, don't change this, don't.
Speaker 2: Change for nobody that nigga should have clapped in the back.
Speaker 1: And my god, sexual chocolate, Josie. Your top five R and B singers, That is tough.
Speaker 2: That is tough. I thought you're gonna ask me the songwriters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm just no, we'll get that.
Speaker 2: Alright. One twelve, I'm Carl Thomas. I'm sorry. Carl Thomas is my that's know, Carl Thomas is I should get himatted somewhere on me. I have like a thing of like all of my favorite and I really would love to get Carl Thomas tatted on me somewhere because he's he's one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's my god. I'm gonna go ah.
Speaker 2: His voice just cuts through too good, and I just love that her tonality. And I mean, what you was doing, she's so bad.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna look at the nigga.
Speaker 1: I was with Jamie Fox. I was with Jamie Fox as a background singers.
Speaker 3: Afterwards, the background and that list, I'm saying, if I'm talking to shout a little bank, ain't no bank.
Speaker 1: I was broke. He wasn't. I don't have the right words. He wasn't money with Jamie Fox was in there the Oscar Winner. He soaked up the room.
Speaker 5: That's even more.
Speaker 3: I knocked shot forgot that the conversation, right, yeah, you know he was at this little thing, right, I knocked shot.
Speaker 1: Jamie was there too. He tried and I knocked it, and I was well, I was at know what to say, but I said, Hi, he's supposed to be from the mid West. Listen, man, how was.
Speaker 2: The energy when you said that?
Speaker 1: She floated in Marvin gay you Better do it and only you better do it.
Speaker 2: I hate to yeah, not Marvin gay Bro, like I don't here. My Dear is my favorite album of Marvin Gaye's and only because I loved like my pop used to always tell me the story.
Speaker 5: The story behind it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just gonna have to go with what I listened to all the time, and it's Stevie Wonder. I'm sorry, Bro, I'm sorry no, but only because because because like I know, people probably expect me to say something else like, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they know you, they get it.
Speaker 2: Stevie Bro.
Speaker 1: Your Top five R and B songs, M.
Speaker 2: God, damn oh ain't supposed to be easy. Top five R and B song Number five Curtis may Feel Sweet Exorcists, I think has to be what I'm the only one you need. Oh you have to mean you had me?
Speaker 7: Uh uh?
Speaker 1: Mary J.
Speaker 2: Blige, I gave you my hunt to you. I love that song. Number five, Number three Carl Thomas, I wish Sorry, I gotta go there. Number two Stevie Wonder. Rocket Love mm hmm, sorry that rocket love is crazy. It's between rocket love or visions. Visions is cold. I love Visions two though, but and my number one song, Damn don'g I yo, my number one song. This is tough because you can't. I feel like I'm disrespecting my people that I love because I have so many grace like songs. But I have to go. Can I can I do like a one? Like a one a at one point?
Speaker 1: Will let you do that?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 1: Let your top.
Speaker 2: Oestly brothers. Let me down easy? It's one of my favorite R and B songs. Let Me down Easy? Is I play that ship like on my my wrap up. I was laughing like because it plays in the background. I was like, damn oh that nigga dollars like that ship was funny thog. But like, I just love old school. I love some music like that. So let me down easy? And probably can I say R Kelly?
Speaker 7: You can say whatever you want to say, yeah, podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, r r R Kelly. I can't breathe.
Speaker 1: What else? You got? What you got for? Mm hmm. I ain't saying no neggs. Hey, ain't saying no names. A saying no names?
Speaker 6: Weird?
Speaker 2: What you did?
Speaker 1: Don't say? I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 2: Hey, I got too many stories?
Speaker 5: Hey, come on come on, come on. Yeah, yeah, so listen, so listen, listen.
Speaker 3: You here you are at the R and B Money podcast, and we are at that section, were at that segment of the show, so obviously you know you watched it.
Speaker 5: You watched the podcast.
Speaker 2: Definitely, no no, this is saying no names.
Speaker 3: Segment of the show. Will you tell us your story funny or fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? In the Travels in the Journey of Jossey.
Speaker 2: No names.
Speaker 5: That's the only rules of the game, and no other rules of the game. Just don't say no names.
Speaker 2: Boy, I got so many stories.
Speaker 5: What a couple of niggas told us two or three.
Speaker 2: I'ma give you one. I gotta give you the best way.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they think of this. When I was driving, like, uh so I want to tell this story. Fuck it so literally. It was this producer. I was working with, a big producer. Uh he was in Miami and I don't know why he had. We was working and he he just felt obligated to tell me that he didn't like his girl messing with girls. And he was like, I don't like. He was like, I don't like, I don't like gay girls around my girl and ship like.
Speaker 1: I was like, who all right?
Speaker 2: So now I'm this is my first time meeting this nigga, like working with him. So I'm like, now I'm scared because I'm like gay girl. I'm like, yo, not not scared in the sist like he gonna but I'm like, I'm like, I don't want him to feel like I don't even want this nigga to feel like I'm trying to talk to his girl. Shit boom, here we go.
Speaker 5: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: I walked out, get in the studio. We walk in the room and we outside like playing ball, and he's telling me this shit, and like, you know what I'm saying. I think he's preparing me for when his girl comes. I don't know what he's doing, but I'm like, this is so weird. This is a weird conversation. So getting the studio and his girl come in girl bad. I remember this shit, and I was just trying to stay far away from her because the whole time I'm in my head, I heard this nigga say, yeah, like I just don't like my girl when she like that's he's kind of gifsty, And you know most niggas is really cool with like girls on girls and all that shit. But I don't. I just think he just he just let me know right there his insecurity. It was crazy, so cool. I'm like, literally, I'm on the other side of the tap for some reason, this girl is just wants to talk to me. No I'm talking about, wants to have a conversation. And I'm like yeah, yeah, uh huh. And like I'm back in my phone and like she's like he's making the beat and I can just tell he's paying attention, like side, and I'm just so scared. She's like come here. It's like I'm over there, so I sit. But like that moment, she was trying it, and I was just thinking of myself, Yo, this girl either this girl is not his girl, and he's just like yo, I'm trying to get her, so don't touch her. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We already know what she I already know what she's own.
Speaker 2: So bro, the whole session. Bro, I'm telling you, I've never been so and that was like my first like that was like a crazy yeah bro, yeah, So it was. Yeah, that was a crazy moment and literally the yeah, I ain't gonna talk about what else happened, But yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: It was just the girl.
Speaker 5: She was on it.
Speaker 2: She was on it, bro, And so now I get it, but like I don't. He didn't say anything, but I remember, it's just that moment, and if I told you the producer was it, you'd be like, oh word, it was just crazy, Like mm hm.
Speaker 1: The question you don't have to answer. But I'm just saying that I'm not gonna did she.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she definitely did. Yeah, Nah, she definitely. I didn't do nothing with it. No, No, not at all. No, Like definitely. I don't mess with niggas girls. Oh, I don't give a fuck if I see you with her. Nah.
Speaker 1: And that was just a moral judgment calling your partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not about to no, because like this industry is so small and niggas do that, and niggas really love that ship. I on the other hand, I'm very big on like I respect whatever that ship whatever. Yeah, And then to her it may not be that serial, but to him it's serious or to her it's serious, and to him it's not that serious. You know what I'm saying. So I don't play with that. But I just now I get, like I was like, oh, Shoty was like choosing up and he just but no, I didn't. I didn't know there's too many that's crazy. No, it was it was like I don't want I don't want to like, don't even want to sit. I don't even want to talk to you for a long time. But you know what I told myself, No nigga ever made me feel like that again in a session, Like I learned from that, like if you insecure, nigga, that show problem. But you're not gonna give me out of my zone to talk to nobody in the room because I'm not I'm not coming with no ill intentions, Like I wasn't coming on. But I was really scared to even talk to the girl. But but that's that just show you I was young and I was green to like the energies, you know what I'm saying, But like like now I'm like walking to my truth and then and you just got to understand I ain't on that tight time, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, that was crazy, bro. That ship was such a I was sweating, like, Yo, this nigga gonna really not fun with me.
Speaker 1: Came out the gate with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, out the gate like he was like he was warming me upon.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Was no.
Speaker 2: It was so crazy, like the insecurity of this dude. And I'll be seeing him to this day and I always remember that session.
Speaker 1: My girl gonna see her and go crazy. I gotta this in the bud early, Yo. That's sad because he knew you had it on you.
Speaker 2: It was crazy and I wasn't even like that then.
Speaker 7: That was crazy.
Speaker 1: But Jose listen, man, man, I heard that heard we we we love you up here. Yeah, sure, we love you man. You you have, you have access, Thank you free, thank you, you have support, you got brothers, you got whatever you need.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it. Thank you, thank you for sharing.
Speaker 1: The only rule is you must keep going. See that us keep going. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Capable hands, Yeah, thank you, come on ye, thank you to thank you.
Speaker 1: Name take And this is the rby Money podcast, the authority on all things R and B, hits swag Leader, the New School. You give us a Jobby R Money.
Speaker 3: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com or slash r and b money