Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Friday, March fourteenth, and today the Ravens officially introduced their new wide receiver to DeAndre Hopkins. He was in the building today to sign his new contract and join the Ravens and also meet with the media this afternoon. If you're listening to this podcast in the Ravens Lounge podcast feed, well make sure you also subscribe to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. We have all of our press conferences posted there in their entireties, So if you're already subscribed to the loundview, that's great. Also subscribe to the press Pass feed as well. Here's the full press conference that Hopkins had with the media this afternoon after signing that new contract.
Speaker 2: So, DeAndre abut, I think people have been setting that picture of you lamar Derek Henry and say how many touchdowns can this trio total? Do you have any answer to that? Man? Hopefully enough to win a lot of games, you know, to win the games we need to win. So I don't have a number, but hopefully you know more more than a little bit.
Speaker 1: How excited are you to be united with.
Speaker 2: Derek har Ah? Very excited? Derek is you know, like family.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, Derek and I have a long relationship. Uh you know we talked today. Actually well uh you know his trainer and uh you know m myself. Uh you know, we all work out together down in Dallas. Uh so uh you know, his trainer called me earlier. Uh while while Derek was working out. He really didn't say too much. Uh, but that's Derek, you know, he he he's grinding you talk to.
Speaker 3: You Lamar yet any any interactions with them?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I talked to Lamar a couple of days ago. Uh, you know, just you know, just ready to get to work, you know, Uh, not really much need to be said, just you know, let's let's get to work. How much did did him be here?
Speaker 4: And you know, obviously it help with Patrick Finnity him, Like is that the sole reason or what what played into this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely? Uh I think you know Lamar, you know, being uh the leader of this team is is you know, part of the reason that I came here. You know what he stands for and how he's led this team and this organization, uh you know, to to the playoffs in multiple years and you know since he's been here. Uh, you know, just how he's uh, you know, just led you know, any receiver group he've had, he's had, so I think, you know, let's play. That played a big part of me coming here for sure, Lamar being the quarterback. How would how did you come in here sort of come together in those those a couple of days. Did did you guys have a sort of a short.
Speaker 3: List of teams?
Speaker 2: Did you identify it joining de Bronzos or how did it?
Speaker 3: How did it?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know, obviously you know I was in Kansas City, Uh, you know, so you know we really you know, didn't you know, do too much, you know, thinking that, you know, possibility of me being back in Kansas City. But once we uh you know, found out that you know, I wouldn't be back in Kansas City, we made, uh, you know, a list and the Ravens was the first team on my list.
Speaker 4: DeAndre, I know you're coming off of with Kansas City getting to a super Bowl for the first time in your career, and I know it's only been about a month, But what do you take away from that experience? What do you learn from that experience that you now bring here not just for yourself but with teammates who the goal here for several years is to get over that help and get to.
Speaker 3: A Super Bam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, obviously, you know, I started off in Tennessee to win to Kansas City, So you know, I had best of both worlds, being you know, with the team that wasn't the contender and then going to a team like Kansas City who was obviously you know, we played in Super Bowl. So you know, a lot of a lot of lessons that you know, I can give to a lot of players, especially on this team. You know, being in the game that they were in last year. You know almost you know, basically you know about to playoffs, but you know, almost doesn't get it done in the NFL. So you know, I feel like I can give a lot to this, to the especially this receivers group, you know, and guys in the locker room as well. You know, I'm pretty sure there are some guys who's played in the Super Bowl, might have won a Super Bowl here, you know. But you know, for myself, you know, if if someone asks, you know, obviously I'm here to to help and uh, you know, make everyone better.
Speaker 4: You know, you mentioned the the guys you're gonna be playing here with you know the receiving room with say Rashad and also the tight ends. You know, I have a lot of good receivers. Have you Have you given a thought to your sort of fit in what you know your specialty is gonna be in the passing game.
Speaker 2: Uh, I haven't really given much thought. You know, this is my first day. I just came in, uh you know, signed my papers and did a little workout, uh you know, and met with you guys, so uh, you know, not really haven't given it much thought. You know, just really wherever I can be used is uh, you know doesn't matter to me. What do you know about.
Speaker 3: The receiver group that you're joining?
Speaker 1: Different guys in there, and have you spent eachini in in ten Uh?
Speaker 2: You know? Those those are some some some very talented young receivers. Uh, those guys zay uh bait Uh you know the tight ends that we have uh marking those guys, I think, uh you know what a receivers specifically. You know, they're young, uh fast, and those guys go out and make plays. They're exciting to watch, you know, But I don't know much about them outside of you know, just what I see on the football field. So you know, just looking forward to you know, just hanging out and learning more about 'em.
Speaker 5: Jumping from the offense that's led by Patrick Mahomes. You now one with Lamar Jackson. What was your mom and your family's reactions to that?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously excited, you know, you know, a bittersweet that we couldn't you know, win uh Kansas City last year. But that's football, you know, still grateful for the opportunity. Uh, you know, but they're they're excited. You know, my family's big fans of Lamar DeAndre.
Speaker 5: You've been in the league twelve, even going out thirteen. What is it about your game that you feel like still allows you to be so effective?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know, I would say, you know, how I'm able to get open. You know, I've never been a four, three or four for a guy. Uh, you know, but I'm able to make plays on the ball and get open, uh and you know, contest to catch it. You know, I feel like that's been something that you know, I've been able to sail in and just you know, I would say my knowledge of defenses as well. Playing thirteen years in the in the NFL, you learn defensive coverages and you know how to get open and you kind of know what the defense is doing sometimes pre snap, Yeah, I do. You mentioned like thirteen years not a lot of guys get to be getting into it.
Speaker 3: But you know, when when players.
Speaker 2: Get through that, their question comes, you know, how much do you have left in the pack? I mean, what would you kindly be your answer to that?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: How much I have left in the tank? You know, man, I'll take a day by day honestly. You know, I really never thought about that or look forward to it. You know. You know they say, you know, you'll know, you know when your body gives out on you, and they haven't hasn't given out on me yet or or for me, I feel like gotten close. So you know, who knows? Man? Who knows? The angry you?
Speaker 4: Baltimore has kind of been in a room or every off seal for like four years now.
Speaker 2: How much did did you? When you're doing your research deciding where you want to play?
Speaker 4: Do you call for her and Kurve Ravens kind of talk to her about what it's like? Is there something about this organization other than obviously the quarterbacking being contenders that was really attractive to you?
Speaker 2: I mean, Coach Hoball man, you know Lamar, all those you know Derek. You know, Derek and I talked throughout the year, and that's one of my best friends. You know, he keeps an honest So for myself, you know, it was, man, a couple a couple of different things, you know, but I mean coach from the head coach down. Man, I feel like everyone you know, man, they compete their dogs, and I feel like this organization and this team matches who I am.
Speaker 4: You gotta get back to Jamison's that's about your experience and left in tank. I mean, do you take some inspiration from what Derek did last year because he was getting some of those same questions and running back turns thirty? What about his campaign last year maybe kind of pushes you to do more?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, you know, you know, Derek is definitely inspiration, not just to myself, but I think everyone in the league as well. You know, for a guy you know who plays running back in that age to do what he done, it's it's, you know, it's very rare. So you know, I can't say that he's not inspiration. He's definitely inspiration. But for myself, you know, I don't look at really not one single person to motivate me to keep going. You know, I I think you know, when you play football, you have to have it within yourself and you got to know who you are.
Speaker 3: Andrea, I don't know that every free agent comes in and gets a workout done before their introductory press conference.
Speaker 4: What what made you do that?
Speaker 3: And is your workout routine do you feel like part of what's allowed you to still be productive at at your agent?
Speaker 2: Oh? For sure. My workout routine has changed throughout the years, but it's definitely been a key part of of me still being able to come out and you know, play at high level at at the age of thirty two. You know, I'm not sure you know why why you wouldn't you know, workout if you have a weight room this nice or you know you have the chance to work out, you know. So for myself, I just like you know, working man, just just you know, when no one's looking, if that's you know, at my house at night. But it's definitely been a key part of me, uh, you know, still playing and also my diet. You know, it's it's not just the workout, but it's everything else.
Speaker 3: An influence from Derek.
Speaker 2: I thought, no I'm a little older than Derek, but you know Derek, you know, but not Derek definitely, you know big in Tennessee with him, he's he's picky about what he what he is. You won't see him in the cafeteria going through the line too much. Do you remember when Lamar.
Speaker 4: Kind of first plusted onto your radar screen and you maybe thought.
Speaker 2: Well that could be fun. One day, man, I was watching Lamar when he was at Louisville against Clemson, and I remember like, man, it's you know, this was when Clemson, I think might have won national championship and was giving a run for their money. I was like, who is who is this guy? You know? And I think I started following his career after that, uh cause obviously I went to Clemson, and you know, Lamar was, you know, a couple of plays away from basically you know, single handley beating him, and I was like, man, this kid's gonna be special.
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: What about this game? Is Valtomore's game that it looks impressive to? Uh, you know, I would say, it's it's it's football, like you you know, outside of his running ability, uh, you know, he only threw four interceptions last year if I'm not mistaken. Uh, And it takes a very uh, very high iq A at the quarterback position for that to happen. Uh. And that's that's that's very impressive. If if you play football, you know that's that's not easy to do. How much does that way in your decision you're considering, like where to go?
Speaker 4: Is just looking at the obviously the marks down to keep himself put looking out.
Speaker 2: Of who was that strict? H U A big, a big, big part of my decision obviously. You know Lamar is you know, known for for running, but you know, watch film and you know, I was watching YouTube highlights of this offense kind of get familiar with it. You know, he makes some incredible throws and so of the interceptions. You know, as a receiver, you know, you got to take responsibility yourself. So Lamar's man, he knows how to thread the needles. So I think for myself that was definitely a big part of the decision. Deandrew Lamar typically practiced with his wide receiver students during the offseason. Have you spoken with him and will that be the plan for you? Oh? Yeah, I spoke to him, and you know, we'll we'll get up when he can. When when we can. You know he's he's a busy guy, so as myself. But you know, I'm sure we'll find time to work before we get here. Yadre, I know.
Speaker 4: You played through that MCL injury last year. Was that any kind of limitation for you just going through and tough men?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't, Man, it wasn't you know, it wasn't something that I had to play through. It was kind of, you know, something that happened, and you know, I was able to play week one and you know, I would say after after my my first week of playing, you know, it's kind of you know, really nothing that bothered me. So you know I felt good. Man, didn't feel like you would need surgery for that. It just kind of kills. I had surgery on my right m c L like maybe like seven years ago, and uh, you know, so you know I've I've had an MCL surgery. So you know, I'm definitely one to ask if you got m c L problem. A couple more really good?
Speaker 5: Well, I have one more, DeAndre, just from your journey going from the Texans to Tennessee to Kansas City, how do you think that will help you with like adapting to I guess what have you learned that will help you adapt to different organizational cultures teammates systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've definitely been around a lot of players in you know, even Houston seven years, they're seeing a lot of people come and go. Uh, you know, it's it's part of it, you know, just accepting it, accepting your role and your job and you know me being to God, just embracing everything and and uh, you know, embracing the questions from the younger the younger people, and you know, it's a business. You really can't take it personally if you get traded or you get released or cut. And so for myself, you know, just having gone through those things, it's you know all you know, my first trade, I would say, wasn't as easy, uh to accept because you know, I was young, and I'm like, I'm at the top of my game while they trade me. But you realize, you know, after a while, it's a business. And uh, you just got an embracing, you know, not taking personal.
Speaker 5: Close to you without talking again and offers.
Speaker 2: Uh they they they they're they're winning, you know, they and he knows how to get guys open, and uh you know, it's it's offense that's worked and it's it's still working.
Speaker 5: When did you realize you stepped into that leadership in your career?
Speaker 2: I would say like year year four, year three, when I had an older guy come in and you know, he was asking me questions when I was younger, and I was like, wow, you know, I guess I am you know what they consider the number one receiver. Uh So I would say it was early in my career.
Speaker 4: You talked about your experience different places earlier, you've been placed where you were the guy.
Speaker 2: Uh here, there's a lot of guys. How much you think that'll help you playing with so many guys and how much do you think your experience will help you deal with it if one day you're getting two jargs next day August. Well, you know, I've I've definitely been in situations, you know, past couple of years we only got you know, a couple of targets. So for me, it's really never bothered me. And you know, I I embraced it. You know, I love that. You know, there was a draft every year for the organization two draftegue guy. That's part of football and you have to you know, realize and understand this. This is a business and that's how it goes. So I love it. And you know, the guys that are out there, they're gonna they're gonna get open like they have done the past couple of years. Hopefully I can, you know, give them a couple of little tricks to help them, you know, advanst their game a little more. You know, if there's something that they're doing, you know, I'm sure you know, I'll ask, like, you know, what what are you doing? I can add in my game because at this at this position, you never want to feel like you know everything at the receiver position because there's always little things that you can learn from a scout team guy or a rookie. That's how you get better.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, thank you. So that's what Hopkins had to say after signing that new contract. I also had a chance to sit down with him for a one on one conversation. You can check out that video on our app our website as well as our YouTube channel. You shared a really good insight about coming here to Baltimore and what kind of impact he expects to make on this team. Now, as you know free agency is always exciting and unpredictable, so there's lots of news happening. Make sure you're subscribed to the Lounge treat if you haven't done so already. We're going to continue to break down all the news that's happening over the course of free agency and coming up next week, the Ravens planned on having Ronnie Stanley in the building on Monday to officially sign his contract that the Ravens agreed to terms with earlier this week. That's it for us on the Press Pats podcast and the Lounge Feed. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back with you again next week.