Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Needs Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. Our starting lineup, our fab five m cking of comedy, Fritzie and we got seat and Marv Pauliers truly and of course the back room guys as well. Operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls today if you want to downass up eight seven to seven to three DP show once again. We will be in Green Bay coming up in a couple of weeks at the bar on Home Ground Way located three blocks from Lambeau. Will be there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. And yes we will have a studio audience, but it is first come, first serve. Once we get to capacity then we have to turn you away. We do a meet and greet though on Wednesday night from four to six at the same place. That's first come, first serve as well. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards of the program in the first hour brought to you by our friends at Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At MAKO. They bring your car back to life, affordable paint chops, light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Oh better get Mako Play the Day, poll question stat of the Day. All of that forthcoming. We'll recap the National Title game last night as Florida comes back to beat Houston by two and Walter Clayton Junior the third is the most Outstanding Player. Masters Week starts on Thursday. Weather looks pretty good, the final week of the NBA season, and you got Celtics, Knicks, Lakers Thunder coming up tonight. Say good morning if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country. Florida is sixty five points of the fewest by a winning team and the combined total one twenty eight fewest in a title game since twenty fourteen. Also, this is just the second title game in the last thirty five years decided by two points or less. The Duke Blue Devils beating Butler in twenty ten was also a two point margino O stell of a day, Stanta a day, stantaa day, scant outa day. This is the Stele of the day in college sports, we tend to treat conference realignment like it's a business move, and for a lot of universities it is business. But after watching Florida win the national championship, it's more than just about money. Take Duke. Duke dominated the ACC and if you're not tested during the regular season, you get to steamroll your way to the final four. You rarely play from behind, you rarely feel that pressure. And then the moment demands that and they flinched fourteen point lead, vanished in the final four, and with it their chance for a national championship. And then you look at Florida. The Gators weren't perfect, but they were prepared for this moment. They've fallen behind in four of their tournament games and came back to win, including last night. But you know, think about this. They were down ten to Texas Tech, comeback down late to Auburn, another comeback two point win over the defending national champion Yukon Huskies. Last night, they're down by twelve at one point. No panic whatsoever, that's experienced. That's what happens when you're battle tested. Florida was. Duke wasn't, and it made all the difference in the world. I said this a couple of weeks ago during the regular season, if you win the SEC, it's like winning the national title. And that's exactly what happened. Florida won the SEC. Florida won the national title. They were ready for the moment and look aesthetically, no, it wasn't pretty basketball, but it was pretty close basketball, and you're seeing a team come from behind again. They had margins of at least six points, four second half comebacks down at least six points. That's the most in a tournament game since twenty fifteen. And you know, give Houston a lot of credit because they also showed that same kind of grit determination. They were prepared for a moment. They didn't quit against Duke, but that moment last night where you look at the last three, last four possessions and they got nothing out of it. They had turnover, turnover, turnover, and then couldn't get a shot off and you start to look at what the play was. Florida seemed to know what that design was. Here's Calvin Samson, the Houston head coach, on that design of the final play.
Speaker 3: We have a set where it's a stagger gate and we thought if we could get Emmanuel to shot bak and get downhill. I have to look back at the film and I don't know if the ball slip that of his hands or he probably should have shot faked that. You know, Clayton made a great play on that. But that's why you got a shot fake and get in the paint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised. It felt a little too on the perimeter, and maybe it was starting on the perimeter to then get to the basket because you're down two, and that's what I kept thinking, You at least have to get something towards the hoop. Don't settle for a three pointer to try to win the national championship. And I don't know if that was the play, but Florida knew what the play was going to be because they blew it up right away. So give credit to Florida did a great job with that. Here is how that final play sounded us.
Speaker 4: Out of the right hand wearing stops which seven seconds gives it the crier six seconds to go, five seconds to sharp top of the key, lost the dribbles, He's got to pick it up.
Speaker 5: It scooped up by.
Speaker 6: Content content, saturns it I brought it found a way from twelve down to the school's third national championship in then's basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was courtesy of Westwood One. But that's embarrassing. The turnover, turnover, turnover, can't get a shot off, and you could have pumped fake. Give Clayton, who's not a great defender, he made a great decision to go out there because you can maybe draw contact in a situation like that, but I think he was flying to the ball at an angle that he was not going to, you know, affect the shooter or at least be drawn into getting three free throws there. I was just surprised. It felt like it was going slow, slow, and then you do a pick and then somebody slides by, somebody's ready to set another pick, nobody's there to set a pick, and then all of a sudden you're reversing it, and then all of a sudden you're in trouble. And then all of a sudden you're tick tick tick tick tick tick tick, and then it's over. But give credit to Florida because that's a battle tested team and when you have those players who've been in moments like this, and granted it's the sec that you're in not the NCAA tournament with these moments, but it does translate, and you saw that because Duke didn't handle the pressure well. And when you have three freshmen out there, there's there's a little bit of doubt, there's reasonable doubt of what you're going to do with the game on the line when you're not used to those situations. But Florida wins the national championship and uh winning sixty five sixty three. See let's poll question today, Well we might as well start with a little bit of a downer. Worst way to lose a game?
Speaker 7: Is this a Todd Fritz This is not a Todd Fits negativity poll. Okay, the classic Paul Paps negativity pole. That way negativity index. I might be starting the PPN I Paul Paps negativity index. I'm going to spend all day working on them.
Speaker 2: Okay, sticky, all right?
Speaker 7: Anyway, The worst way to end a game not getting a shot off called third strike or a quarterback sack. Both of them are great called third strike. To lose a game is to swing the bat.
Speaker 2: Lad get gone on getting the mouth showlder, come on, huh yeah, Paul?
Speaker 8: What really hurts beyond the loss. Obviously, if you're a Houston fan, is not even the hope of a shot going up, not even because that wins it. If it hits, it wins it at the buzzer, not even getting a shot off, or like a Bengals fan, you had a chance to win a Super Bowl and a sack your quarterback doesn't even get downfield with a throw, which is more painful.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no guarantee that now granted with Joe Burrow, would he have hit Jamar Chase, they would have won the Super Bowl. Yes, that appears to be according to with the film shows, but I don't know if we have a called third strike that we can reference there. I think not getting a shot off because you can at least tie the game if you get a good shot and all you want is hope. You got the ball and you got to get two. If you happen to get three, you win the National Championship. A sack Matt Ryan against the Patriots getting sacked, Yeah, I would say last night that you don't even get a shot off. At least you took the ball, and I know you know called third strike. You don't get the bat off your shoulder. The sack. At least you have the ball in your hands and you know you're you have that opportunity to get rid of the ball. They didn't get a chance to even get a shot off. Yep.
Speaker 7: Yes, and maybe you know too with a called third strike. Sometimes a pitch has the ability to just freeze you and you don't really know why, but you're like, dang, that was a hell of a pitch where you see it and you just can't you're just frozen and it just gets you.
Speaker 2: You know, Yes, marvn.
Speaker 9: Carlos Beltran, didn't he have a called called third strike in nlcs M. The bad not come off as your.
Speaker 2: Shower, Okay, all right, yeah, yeah, I think not getting a shot off And maybe it's recency bias where you're just going who drew up this play? Like what was the play? And the fact if you have a play and you've run that play, that's great scouting by Florida if they know what your go to play is, because every team, certainly when you get to that moment, knows if there is a go to play, what's it going to be? And you know it's going to be a close game. Because Florida was favored by one. You know it's going to be a tight game. Houston plays tight games when it comes down to a one play what are you running? And I can guarantee you Florida's coaching staff scouted that and knew what that play was going to be because they were there and they blew it up in real time. What else do we have today, Seaton for the first hour? Well, let's see, I'm just posting that one right now. Paul just sent over another one too. That's kind of interesting. Wow.
Speaker 7: Should the NCAA tournament also give out an award for the finals.
Speaker 2: MVP instead of the Most Outstanding Player?
Speaker 7: Well, they give out the most Outstanding Player, and maybe you do that, But then should there also be a final MVP?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, I don't care. Yeah, enthusiastically, I like that. I would Walter Clayton Junior the third one have He wouldn't have won the Most Valuable Player last night, but he was the most outstanding player? Yes, Todd, would your.
Speaker 9: Best second half team get even another trophy because they were the best second team?
Speaker 8: Blood Walter Clayton got the MOP, but Will Richard from Florida would have got MVP of the final, which would be kind of a cool award to have because it's kind of overlooked.
Speaker 7: His night should have stepped up earlier, had a whole bunch of other games in the tournament.
Speaker 2: Should But if you're if you're most outstanding player, then you've been the most outstanding player over the entire tournament.
Speaker 8: But then you have a bad game or off night and someone else gets this the other award.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you had to lead them. Without you, they don't get to their right. So you're the most outstanding player. Yeah, sure, if you want to have another award. Sure, I think that they're probably satisfied with winning the national championship. I don't know if Will Richard is going. You know, I should have been MVP. I think he's okay. I think he's okay, all right, eight seven to seven to three, DP show email address DP Atdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show. It was one of those Julio Jones retires and you go, hmm, okay, wow, that's right. Hasn't really done much the last few years Hall of Famers. Soon as you hear the name Julio Jones, or the fact that we haven't heard his name in a couple of years, maybe not Hall of Famer at least right away. He had a five six year window. How many times do we save that? Though? About receivers, man, he had a five or six year window, because that's usually all you get, a five or six year window. And he had a lot of yards. I think he only had like sixty six touchdowns. I say only because I think he had like thirteen thousand receiving yards. But we'll play the Julio Jones Hall of Shame game coming up, yes, Ton.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I have a negative recency bias when it comes to Julio Jones. But we can save that a whole discussion. I usually ruin it all and I just say things way ahead of time. But we're gonna make a little segment out of it.
Speaker 2: But don't I always tell you save it, like I always tell you.
Speaker 9: And Paulie always tell me that, And I always ruined surprises and birthday gifts for your wife and Joe.
Speaker 2: But when we do our pre show meeting and then you'll go on a rant, I'll go save it, and then you continue the rant and then I'll go ton save it.
Speaker 9: I think it's less disobeying you more my own neurotical like I'm gonna forget what I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Say, so I write it down.
Speaker 9: I could do that. Yeah, there's writing implements, there's laptops, the ways to jot down thoughts these.
Speaker 2: Days, save it tone, Okay, I'm behaving this Todd does have a.
Speaker 7: Tick though where if he's gonna if he needs to get it out of his brain, he is going to say it.
Speaker 2: There's nothing that you could stop. That is true.
Speaker 7: It doesn't matter. If it's in his head and he has to get it out, he will get it out. It doesn't matter what else is going on around.
Speaker 2: You know that golfer and the corn Faery tour, he put tape over his mouth.
Speaker 9: I could relate to that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was trying to play better golf and not be yelling and screaming. Maybe you do that in the morning meeting. Just put tape over your mouth.
Speaker 9: Is really That's what I gonna come to.
Speaker 2: I don't want it to You're you're gonna force me to maybe suggest that to you.
Speaker 9: If I can't control myself, maybe we have to look at tape.
Speaker 2: But you do. And Seaton's right, I can tell when you blow right through the stop sign, when I'll go Todd save it. Boom Todd boom, And then I go, okay, great, but.
Speaker 9: I don't again, I don't mean to be rude. I know you guys take it that way, and I'm like giving a proverbial finger. I'm gonna say what I have to say. I don't care what any of you guys think. It's not really meant that way. It's really harmless, and it's my own little insectecurity or psychosis of some sort.
Speaker 2: But we all remember what we're going to say for the show, because the show is the important part of this, Like that's the content part.
Speaker 9: Yes, but I have a very short term memory. And just like when Poy said, how about not putting twenty words in the subject line? And part of it is being disobeying and the other part of it is like, oh yeah, that's right. He did tell me a hundred times not to do that.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Tod.
Speaker 2: Well, I take a break here, well, settle on our poll question and get to phone calls as well. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show. I had an idea the Master's starting this week, how about we come up with true green jackets.
Speaker 9: Yeah, now you're thinking, yeah.
Speaker 2: Are a new partner True Green. They're going to take care of your lawn. By the way, They're the official lawn care treatment provider the PGA Tour. They know a thing or two about keeping grass looking like a fair way. Maybe we wear True Green jackets. Coming up on Friday. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 2: Check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too.
Speaker 2: Take your phone calls chop it up as they say.
Speaker 12: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Koben on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I think we've settled on a poll question for the first hour of the program. Go to Danpatrick dot com phone number eight seven seven three DP show Masters. Starting this week, I'm excited to watch some of the players who've been on the Live Tour playing at Augusta to see them again because there are great players on the Live Tour. I don't like the Live Tour. I think it's hokey. I think it's corny. I think it's silly. I'd rather they just played four days of golf like everybody else does. I don't need music, and I don't need you wearing shorts. You want to start your own golf league, great, but I don't need gimmicks to watch John ram or Bryson Deshambo play, just play, that's all. Now we get to see them at Augusta, and I'm excited about that because I would like to see everybody play together. But I don't know if it's going to happen anytime soon. But I did watch the event this weekend in Florida at Durel, and once again, that music is just it's thumping, it's meaningless. You got shorts on and you play fifty four holes.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: I loved watching You know, Dustin Johnson, haven't heard his name in a long time. I didn't have a good final day, but bryceon De'shambeau and gen Ram and Sergio, and it's fun to see those guys. I miss them. That's what I think I'm trying to say, is I missed them. I don't miss Patrick Reid and some of these other guys, but I do miss those guys, even Mickelson. Phil's always fun. Look forward to seeing him at Augusta and one of these days, hopefully in my lifetime, they somehow figure this out. But let's just get rid of the silly music. No, no, it's not even, it's not even. Then and now on the first t say hello to Lefty Phil Nicholson. Yeah, well yeah, okay, it's crazy.
Speaker 11: Ye.
Speaker 2: Now, this is the sport where golfers will hear like, you know, somebody's stepping on a leaf and they'll go, oh, come on, but we could have this silly music and we're having fun. Come on, guys, the cameras co on, we got shorts on.
Speaker 11: We're having fun.
Speaker 2: Look at my tamline. We're only playing fifty four holes. It's funny too, is that.
Speaker 7: I would imagine for a good portion of the crowd they're watching just hearing anything even remotely close to dance music immediately like invokespanic of like, oh crap, do I have to start dancing right now? Oh crap, don't tell me we got it?
Speaker 2: Answer right. I don't want to. I just want to watch some golf. We're not dancing right now, are we? And I I think the players have to act like they're having a good time, like I want something at stake. I want this to mean something.
Speaker 13: I don't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean anything. You're just going, Okay, these guys got a big paycheck. They get to go out there, and let's give you the impression that we're having a good time. You know, when you go to the club, but you don't belong in the club, but you want to act like you're having a good time at the club. That's good. It feels like I'm excuse me, I would like to have some bottle service here, please.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: There was this like era where I was I don't know, like eight between like eighteen or like sixteen and twenty two. Maybe all my friends went to raves all the time, and I was going to raves, house music, all.
Speaker 2: This stuff, and I was like, get me the hell out of here. Yeah, that this punk is playing in my son is not my scene.
Speaker 7: I am definitely not, Like, dude, you guys want to go dance for like eight straight hours?
Speaker 9: No, sure, don't see what his glowstakes and your everybody's like.
Speaker 2: Yes, tod.
Speaker 9: I would think whether they're actually enjoying themselves or not. That's got to be a mandated We're paying you all this crazy money. You better any chance you get look like this the greatest thing ever live golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I feel sorry for them from the standpoint of they have to put on a front of man or we having fun and the PGA tour is not. I don't care if the PGA tour is having fun. I want to see them out there grinding. Something means something. When you win a tournament, it means something. Hey, you want a fifty four whole event and somewhere in Dubai, Well congratulations, that's that's nice. But there's no tension involved in it. Now you're gonna go to Augusta. That's what I want to see. These guys go from this atmosphere to that atmosphere. And I know you get you know, those who follow the Live Tour, and they're gonna be like, hey, our guys, what about our boys? Okay? I mean they were on the PGA Tour for a long time. They were established on the PGA Tour. You didn't birth them on the Live Tour. You didn't raise them to Shambeau and Rom and Phil, they've all been great on the PGA Tour. But you go from that atmosphere to Augusta. That'll be interesting to watch, yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 8: I'm looking at the payouts for when you win a Live Tour event and they're really strong. Like Mark Leishman made four million dollars for winning the Durrell and his team may splits another three million. So the persons are huge. But the thing is, if you notice the wins, it's the guys who didn't get the huge payouts like Rom and Dustin Johnson who are winning these events because that money means more to them.
Speaker 2: It appears, well, no, they've already made their money.
Speaker 8: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it doesn't mean anything to John Rohm to win one of these exactly, that's what you're saying. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't matter. And that's what I want to see. I want to see that it actually means something to you, not look at what we're doing.
Speaker 11: Great.
Speaker 2: And I've watched a couple of events. I like hearing David Ferriday still, but I there's no atmosphere. Now they did have good crowds there in Florida. Now, there was some ambiance there, But there are other times when I've watched I'm like crickets, nobody cares and maybe maybe I don't know. There hasn't been a big defection in a while. Remember there was a wave that was going to the Live tour. We haven't had one of those. I think they talked about Tony Feenow maybe leaving, but that hasn't happened. But I don't know if there's another golfer, you know, Justin Thomas or Jordan Spieth, Rory, they're not going. But I wonder if there's anybody else. Now what I would have done with the live tour is I would have gotten all of the I would have already reached out to Tiger Wood's son, Charlie, and he's like fourteen, and I would just say, hey, why don't you come and play some events. We're going to pay you. I would get the best college players. Hey, why don't you guys come over here. We're going to raise you. And people are going to be able to see you. They're going to be able to come out and watch, Oh man, you got to see this guy play. Now they have the older players, they don't have the younger player. You got to see this guy play. But I'm looking forward to the lived players getting you know, at Augusta and seeing how they fare, or just having him back, you know. And I always look back on Mickelson, and you know, who knows. Phil may have off the course issues, needing the money. There's always been the gambling allegations rumors with him, and maybe he needed the money, but he could have been Arnold Palmer. He could have been the great golf ambassador the rest of his life. He was a fan favorite and he went to Live. And that's disappointing because the sport needs to have that transition. Tiger's not going to be able to play. You need those golfers that are out there, they're playing, they're good for the game. Fan favorites. Phil can still play occasionally at a high level, and I miss that because Arnie and Jack and Gary and Lee Trevina. I mean, they had such great ambassadors for the game and you're gonna need that. And Phil could have been an Arnold Palmer like figure and chose to go to the lip Tour and then tell us how you're growing the game, growing the sport, which you're not. I mean, I don't know what the numbers are. If somebody says, man, look at what Live has done. What's that made rich guys richer? And what there's a rush on Bermuda shorts that they're wearing or got to buy the soundtrack for that tournament that they played, doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 8: Yeah, pulling It does feel like Rory McElroy has picked up the mantle of most beloved player everybody roots for him going into a thing. If you don't have a golfer. Plus Rory is on what a ten year drought with the majors, it's it's a double. He's the fan favorite. He took on the Live Tour. He's stuck with the PGA. I know he got the big deal, but he feels like he's taken over as the most popular golfer.
Speaker 2: And Jordan Spieth is up there too. I mean, there's players that you come out to see. I mean, I wish there were more players that we must see TV because I love the sport and I love that you're you're earning your paycheck right in front of us. There's nothing guaranteed. You're earning it right there. Where's the Live Tour. You're already made your money. Yeah.
Speaker 7: This person on social media said that Live Tour and PGA golf is like baseball and Savannah Bananas games.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. It's yes, Yeah, a couple of phone calls in here. Oh oh no, no, I forgot. I've put it off for thirty four minutes. Marvin, It's time to do it. Tournament's over. Last night, Ernie Johnson led into one shining moment allow me to lead into one dining moment. Here's Todd Fritz.
Speaker 1: The food is served, meats a cob.
Speaker 10: You're jeweling with their dissipation because you're.
Speaker 14: So stopped, you've locked sandwich years. They don't see your taste buds glow. All that hard work, Well now.
Speaker 9: It shows in one dining moment for all tasted vine.
Speaker 10: One dining moment, stuff face but no wine. No, the scales not are yes, the pounds pack on you saill have just one more until the plates are gone.
Speaker 9: Now your jeans won't close.
Speaker 1: What's a man to do?
Speaker 9: Your storm?
Speaker 2: It's full and your bowels are too.
Speaker 10: That one dining moment, how did you get so wide? One dining moment?
Speaker 9: To it grilled, baked or fried?
Speaker 10: Yes, one dining moment, bone appetite, one dining moment, feel that grill heat that one dining moment.
Speaker 9: No fox, boon or knife.
Speaker 10: One dining moment, the time of your life, one dining moment from eight down on to one, one dining moment. Can't you taste all the fun? That one shining moment? Who's got it better than us? Our one shining moment?
Speaker 9: Nobody does?
Speaker 2: Yeah, spattering, it's smattering, does it get better like once I don't know, like deeper into the song or the more times I hear it.
Speaker 7: There is a moment in there where Todd has a line about something be it grilled, baked, or fried, which is pretty like that was really good. That was a really good line.
Speaker 2: It's just lost in them. Yeah, so that's one dining moment. And no, we didn't say, Todd, why don't you write a song based off one shining moment called one dining moment? Todd did that on his own, and that's that's the only take that he did.
Speaker 9: Didn't exactly climb the billboard charts, right, Anything that's not even good have to be like a side sea of an old record that's definitely outside B. I don't know what that was.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Doug in North Carolina leads us off. Good morning, Doug.
Speaker 11: Hey Dan, I have a hot take for you, but it's sincere. If God came to me and said I could only watch sports on one Sunday of the year, I would pick Master Sunday over Super Bowl Sunday in a heartbeat. As a Lions fan, I've never had a vested interest in the outcome of the Super Bowl and oftentimes the games are kind of boring. But the Masters, it's the only sporting event that I can think of where the venue is the Star.
Speaker 2: Okay, but wait, Doug, if the Lions were playing in the Super Bowl or you could watch the Masters on Sunday.
Speaker 11: Ah, that's of course I take the Lions. But that's you know, year and year out. I've never been disappointed on a Master Sunday. I have been disappointed on a Super Bowl Sunday. It's just great TV. The venue is the Star, Dan.
Speaker 2: Yes it is, Yes it is. And I cocourage people. If you get a chance to go, please go to Augusta. You walk around. The atmosphere is wonderful, the souvenir area is spectacular, the food is relatively cheap, and it's just magical. It truly is. And what they did when they configured this golf course is they made it really snug. And that's why when you hear the roars, there can be a roar. You could be on the second green and you could hear a roar at sixteen and it feels like it's just over the hill. And it is that the holes are really close to one another. Therefore you hear that in the trees and I've used this, you get this, you know, cacophony of sounds that it's just different than any other sporting event I've ever been to. But if you get that chance, and granted it's expensive, but it's something, you know, bringing your dad to an event like this, your family, if you can, great atmosphere, and it's a bucket list item. Andrew and Washington, Hi, Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Good morning, Dan Dennis.
Speaker 2: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 15: Just a little bit about that poll question. I do think it's not getting a shot off at the end of the game is the most anti climactic because it's like it's not just for the team that had a chance to maybe win with a shot. There's also the team that won without having to get a rebound or a block shot or or their fans see the anticipation. Can you imagine the guy that fell on the ball at the end of the National Championship telling his friends in twenty years.
Speaker 16: Hey, remember that play that I made to win.
Speaker 15: I fell on the ball. It just kind of the Florida team didn't even know they'd won because they were.
Speaker 11: So locked in. But two things about that game.
Speaker 15: Todd Golden is the youngest head coach at thirty nine to win a national championship since Jimmy b in nineteen eighty three, and Florida is the first team to beat the defending champ in the tournament and go on to win the tournaments in thirteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Have a great week, guys, Thank you, Andrew. Good stuff there, Tim and Ohio? Hi Tim? What's on your mind?
Speaker 17: Gorn?
Speaker 2: Damn morning?
Speaker 17: I got astat of the day. It's very good one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 17: The Borda Gators last night won their third national championship, but also the Houston Cougar's lost their third championship. How and and now Florida won their first two national championships in a row, and the Cougars lost their first two national championships in the row.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, jim. I must have missed something though, but Florida congratulations, and Houston lost another national championship. Would you rather lose the way Houston lost last night or the way Houston lost? Did Jimmy Valvano? Would you rather an air ball Lorenzo Charles put back dunk to beat you? Or you don't get a shot off.
Speaker 7: So would you rather not get to shut off or not box out?
Speaker 8: Yes, Houston fans have had to see the replay of that. Lorenzo Charles put back a thousand times, ten thousand times, and it's you'll plea played a thousand more? Yeah, constant reminder.
Speaker 2: Okay, which, well, let's take a break, which one if you had to pick? Which one? When you say all right, I'll die by that? Well, come back. We got our play of the day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap oh my God.
Speaker 2: Of the day.
Speaker 11: Of the day.
Speaker 5: Check this out bomb the deliverers swinging a high fly ball lip ceter Racos have been way back at the wall, going going theiser, red seats and life Center being James Bud with a second home run of the.
Speaker 2: Year courtesy of the Nationals Radio Network. After starting out eight to o, Dodgers have lost three of their last four. Are the Dodgers in third place right now? Temporarily?
Speaker 9: That's so done.
Speaker 11: Thank you to.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day brought to you by tire rack dot Com, the official tire expert of the show. Go to tire rack dot Com, slash Dan the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Falcin tires special offers, free roadh hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rack dot Com The way tire buying should be. So if I said, and it's I'm going to preface this by saying, I apologize, but it's in my head now of losing a game and how you lose a game and Houston losing the game last night, not getting an opportunity to get a shot off. Is that worse than an air ball put back Lorenzo Charles and you lose to NC State. I would say that one's worse because it's so fluky that you forced a desperation shot and it's a shot you wanted NC State to take, and then all of a sudden, nobody puts a body in Lorenzo Charles and he gets the put back and wins the National Championship. I mean not getting the shot off. That was really good defense by Florida, and you almost if you have a pump fake, you could have had a three to win the National Championship.
Speaker 9: Yes, ton, I think of it from a play by play standpoint, which makes it far worse if you're on the losing end of that the put back, because it's like, oh and it puts it back, and the craziness of that call versus oh and they don't get a shot off and that's how it ends. That's far lamer. So I'm thinking of the two calls, it's gotta be worse.
Speaker 2: To Okay, well, let's replay Westwood Ones call with the final seconds last night. Use that on the right hand way.
Speaker 4: It stops with seven seconds because it's the crier six seconds to go, five seconds to shark top of the key, lost the.
Speaker 6: Dribbles, He's got to pick it up. It's scripped up by content. Content secures it from drawing a pound away from twelve down to the Skull's third national championship in men's basketball.
Speaker 2: If you're listening not watching, that would be confusing because you're like, he's got to pick up the ball. So visually you see it happen. But if you're just listening, you're going, wait, mante what and building towards that crescendo of I mean, it's not the like a Jim Nance signature call that Gym was famous for. You don't have that moment there, But yeah, a little confusing, Kenny in La Hi, Kenny, what's on your mind?
Speaker 18: First of all, as far as Fritzie is concerned, I don't know when his tune one Dining Moment went up to the top of the chart, but one Shining Moment was introduced in nineteen eighty seven, which was the first year that.
Speaker 19: The NCAA had the even from a three point rule. But I want to go back to nineteen eighty two, and I can tell you that I think Fred Brown that was even worse even where you'll recall that in eighty two which the North Carolina leading and George Hawn had the ball and Fred Brown passed the ball to Worthy with about five seconds ago. That was after Jordan his classic shot. So I think out of all those losses, that's got to be the toughest. And one more thing for Fritzy three the final four coaches were members of the tribe Jewish Men. Of course the winning coach was also Jewish.
Speaker 11: Is also Jewish?
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Kenny?
Speaker 9: How about that?
Speaker 2: All right? Kenny? With his Tom Arnold delivery there, but yeah.
Speaker 9: We didn't have to pass over.
Speaker 2: Thanks the forward Jewish. Yeah, congratulations Ton.
Speaker 9: And if Houston didn't choke the Jews, all three of those we have lost it before Golden.
Speaker 2: Saved Andrew in Oklahoma? Hi Andrew, what's on your mind? Hey, Andrew? Mike and Wisconsin, Hi Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 16: Good morning, Dan. Just when you guys come into the Green Bay for the draft Draft the draft. Just had a really cool idea. I talked with Tyler about it. He wanted me to share it with you. So there's a local artist that has found kind of like a niche. She does custom hand painted portraits on jersey. He's currently working on one for the Christian Yellowish fundraisers. Last year he did won that auction for like fifteen thousand dollars. You'd like to do one for you at the show if you have them.
Speaker 2: And why don't you send me to the website there so we can see what it looks like. Maybe it's myself and the Danetes.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he could do that. Otherwise, I was gonna be a little bit of a surprise. But he had an idea of maybe doing a happy Gilmore on a Boston Bruins jersey.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Yeah, I'm open to it. We're gonna have fun in Green Bay. I'm gonna have a lot of fun. Boys haven't been not everybody's been there, but atmosphere people, it'll be wonderful. Craig in South Carolina. Hi, Craig, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 13: They're Dan's six foot one, a soft one ninety soft.
Speaker 11: Hey.
Speaker 13: So on the topic of Green Bay, you guys will be in Green Bay. Last night, you got a great National championship. This week he got the Masters, just said opening day. That's a question for you and the Danettes. Is there a better sports month than April.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this. I think we had October we brought up. I think when I'm in the moment in that month and I say that month, and then we're going to be in October and it's going to be I mean, we had Yankees Dodgers World Series, you have the NFL, you have college football. It's pretty good time of the year. This baseball, basketball, golf, closing out the regular season in the NBA. I mean, you just had Ovechkin set the all time record, you got the draft coming up. It's pretty good. A lot of different sports involved in this month. So yeah, April's pretty good, pretty good.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 2: Coming up next hour, we'll recap a little bit of the Final four. Steve Lapis, who worked for CBS during the Final four, he will join us. We'll play fill in the blank Celtics, Knicks, Lakers Thunder tonight as we wind down the regular season. More of your phone calls as well. Eight seven seven three DP show Todd Fritz, The King of Comedy, Seat and Marv Pauly Yours Truly Hour two on this Tuesday. After this