Speaker 1: The pros love Royal Birkdale Golf Club, the upcoming site of the Open Championship, but do we love it. That's what I'm talking about today with my colleague Joseph Lmania. I'm Garrett Morrison and this is Designing Golf. Joseph Almania is here. Joseph is a writer for Friday Golf, focusing mostly on the professional game and the courses where high level tournaments are played. And you, Joseph just got back from a visit to Royal Birkdale. How was your trip.
Speaker 2: It was a great trip, Garrett. Yeah, I played Royal Birkdale and Royallytham and St Anne's two very different golf courses, but extremely useful to have that context about Brickdale in advance of this Open Championship. So excited to talk about it. Love talking golf courses with you, So eager to get into it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love talking golf courses with you as well. Always interesting stuff comes up. Yeah, very cool trip that you went on to see a couple of courses that are that are hosting Open Championships in the future, in Royal Brickdale obviously next week, and then Royal Lithm and Saint Anne I believe on the on the schedule for twenty twenty eight or nine.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight, and also the Women's Open is there at the end of this month.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, okay, cool places. So we're talking about Royal Brickdale today, going into detail about the golf course and what your impressions of it are. I have some of my own impressions, but those are just based on seeing the golf course from afar. I've actually never been there, so I'm very curious to get your kind of on the ground details about it. Now, before we dive into the elements of the course itself, I want to go through a little bit of history. This is something that I can offer in this podcast is some historical context. So Royal Birkdale is in the coastal town of Southport in the county of Merseyside. It's part of a trio of open ROTA courses on the kind of Merseyside Lancashire coast. Royal Liverpool is an hour south and Royal Livem and Saint Anne's is just across the Ribel Estuary to the north. It takes about an hour to drive between the two courses. I believe but it's only nine miles as the crow flies, so it is in a kind of series of very well known golf courses on this one stretch of coastline in England. Birkdale Golf Club was founded in eighteen eighty nine, originally a nine hole golf course, and then in eighteen ninety seven the club moved to its current location in the sand dunes just south of the city of Southport. So the original course in this location was designed by George Lowe, who was the professional at Royal Limb and Saint Anne's. As far as I can tell, it was a well regarded but not hugely well regarded golf course. In Bernard Darwin's book Golf Courses of the British Isles, he mentions it just once and kind of mentions it in passing, you know, as part of a list of courses that would be worth talking about on this coastline, but he doesn't say anything else about it. And obviously that version of Birkedale never hosted the Open Championship, so clearly it was overshadowed in a sense by you know, Hoylake to the south and Lithm to the north. So we go forward to nineteen thirty two and Royal Birkdale decided to completely redesign golf course. They brought in the architects fred G. Hawtree and J. H. Taylor to do the work and what they produced is essentially today's version of the golf course with a lot of alterations, you know, the usual amount of alterations that happened at Open Championship courses. But this is kind of their golf course. So who were Fred G. Hawtree and JH. Taylor? These are not, you know, maybe the best known names in golf architecture anymore. We can start with Taylor. John Henry Taylor was a very well known professional golfer. He was a member of the Great Triumvirate alongside James Braid and Harry Varden. This was a trio of British professional golfers who really dominated the game around the turn of the twentieth century and played a big role in popularizing the game in England as well as the US, where where they kind of took trips and spread the gospel of golf. Taylor won the Open Championship five times and went on to be a very significant golf architect as well. Probably his best preserved original design is Royal mid Surrey golf Club near London. Very interesting and kind of curious course. It has a kind of artificial appearance that in some ways has come back into fashion these days. He also wrote a fair amount about golf course design. Bob Crosby, friend of the program, who has been on designing golf a number of times, has done research on Taylor, and Bob characterizes him as mostly an advocate of what we would now call penal design. So Taylor often expressed a belief that hazards should be placed to punish poor shots, you know, poor strikes of the ball, rather than serving kind of a more complex strategic purpose. He liked cross bunkers and once wrote an article lamenting that cross bunkers had fallen out of fashion. And behind these positions I think was Taylor's conviction that the purpose of golf architecture was to provide a fair playing field for competition. Fairness was a big deal to him and understandable that he would take that position given his background as a professional, competitive professional golfer. Now, all of that said, I don't know how much input Taylor had at Royal Birkdale. My impression is that the new course at Birkdale that was installed in nineteen thirty two was mostly the work of his partner, Frederick George Haughtrey. Fred G. Haughtrey Hattrey was not known as a competitive golfer. He was very much a professional golf architect. Founded his own firm in nineteen twelve, started working with Taylor in nineteen twenty two, and Hawtrey had what I'd characterize as a very practical, utilitarian approach to design. He did a lot of work at a lot of courses. He wasn't known for his artistry, unlike his contemporaries Harry Colt and Tom Simpson. You know, no one out there, I don't. I mean very few people at the very least are begging for restorations of Fred G. Hawtree courses. But Hawtrey did end up having a big influence on British golf architecture. His son, Fred W. Hawtrey carried on the family business and in turn passed it on to Martin Hawtree, who is still building and renovating golf courses today. So the haw Tree firm is now one hundred and fourteen years old, widely recognized as the longest continuously operating golf architecture company in the world, obviously extremely successful. And I would say that the haw Trees are sort of like the Jones family of Great Britain, right, Robert Trent Jones, Robert Trent Jones, Junior Rhys Jones, Except unlike the Joneses, they haven't really gone out of style or you know, had their courses kind of reversed in their character the way that the Joneses have over and over in the US. You know, in my opinion, Mackenzie and Ebert, Tom McKenzie and Martin Ebert the dominant golf architecture firm of the Open ROTA Today. Mackenzie and Ebert are very much in the Hotrey mold, doing a lot of work a lot of places, frequently hired by courses that want to host big tournaments, not particularly renowned for their craftsmanship, all right. So that is the architectural lineage behind the nineteen thirty two Birkdale Golf Course. It received the Royal designation in nineteen fifty one, hosted its first Open in nineteen fifty four and ever since then has very much been part of the Open RODA. This year's championship will be the eleventh that Royal Bridale has hosted since nineteen fifty four. Great list of winners, Peter Thompson twice, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Johnny Miller, Tom Watson, Ian Baker Finch, Marc o'meira, Patty Harrington and Jordan Speif that's a murderer's row, I mean, that's a list to be proud of. There's not really a random one in there. You look at that list and you're like, oh, yeah, yeah, those guys could play golf. So the course itself has seen many updates over the years. Right Fred W. Hawtree made some big changes in the nineteen sixties He created the current par three twelfth hole and completely rebunkered the course. The original bunkering at Royal Birkdale was much more kind of rugged and lacy edged. Today's bunkering is kind of that typical stack sod pop bunkering that you see at many golf courses in this region. Then in nineteen ninety one Martin Hawtree rebuild and redesigned all of the greens. So basically every open, and there have been many opens at Royal Birkdale, every open has brought a new round of nips and tucks to this course and this year is no exception. Tom McKenzie of the firm Mackenzie and Ebert completed a major renovation last year, which we will talk about Joseph later in this episode. I think that's good for history. Let's go through the elements of the golf course at Royal Birkdale. We're going to talk about the land, the routing, the hazards, the greens, and the design philosophy. Does that sound good? Sounds great? All right, let's start with the land. I want to you know, start off with your with your you know, impressions of the land as you walked onto the golf course, as you played the holes. How would you describe the terrain at Royal Birkdale.
Speaker 2: The dunes are the obvious land features at Royal Birkdale. And as I'm sure you're going to talk about, a lot of the fairways sit between the dunes. It's not a golf course where there's a lot of traversing of those dunes. You're near the water, you're near the Irish Sea, but you don't ever you don't ever approach the sea.
Speaker 3: You don't see it.
Speaker 2: But the wind is a significant factor, in part because of the proximity to the Irish Sea. So the things that stand out, in addition to the wind and the prevalence of wind, which I think is an important ingredient of an Open Championship and how it tests golfers. The dunes are a very significant part of the golf course and they're not out of play.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's not that the yes, the fairways don't necessarily traverse them, and greens aren't positioned on a lot of the dunes. But the dunes are in play, as people will remember from you know, Jordan Spief blowing a shot way right on thirteen onto one of those dunes. You can end up on them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, of the dunes really, I mean like the other side of the dunes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the dominant land feature and I think that that should inform how people think about the golf course.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, dunes and wind. Those are kind of the big big features of this property. Spectacular dunes right thirty to forty feet tall, probably the biggest dunes on the Open Roda, or at least rivaling those, especially you know for an English golf course. These are dunes of the type that you might associate a little bit more with with Irish links courses. You mentioned the wind. My understanding is the wind basically rips right off of the Irish Sea, so it's coming directly in from from the shoreline roughly west northwest on the compass, and that is the predominant wind direction, but of course not the only wind direction. One more thing I'd like to mention about this stretch of links Land is that it also includes a couple of other golf courses. So right next door to Royal Brookdale is Hillside Golf Club, which has hosted some big tournaments including the British Masters and number of years ago. And then next to Hillside you'll find Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club, which I've heard some great things about. So all three of these courses kind of sit side by side in this dune system. Royal Birkdale, of course, you know, owns the most valuable part of this dune system, closest to the ocean and with the biggest dunes. So that's the kind of property we're dealing with, a Duneland property, and very dramatic even for an open course. Okay, So that leads us to the routing of the golf course I have a couple of takes about the routing of the golf course, so I'll talk about this first and then i'll send it to you for you to tell me whether this is sort of a correct set of conclusions. But for me, it is the routing of Royal Birkdale that really identifies it as a modern links. So first of all, it's laid out in two loops of nine has returning nines. The front nine travels around the northern half of the property and the back nine travels around the half, and the basic momentum of each nine is to venture out toward the ocean side end of the property. Again, you can't see the Irish Sea from the golf course as you mentioned, but you know generally the course kind of goes out toward the ocean and then comes back. The back nine has a couple of different loops where it goes out toward that end of the property and then comes back and then goes back out. So each nine kind of has this has this momentum toward one end of the property. But returning nines is the big thing to notice here. This is not your old school out and back golf course like Royal Troon or the Old Course. The second big thing about the routing at Royal Birkdale that feels modern to me is that the holes almost exclusively run between the dune ridges instead of going directly over them. And you already mentioned this. Just about every fairway sits in a valley between dunes, and just about every green sits in a little amphitheater surrounded by dunes, and as a result, the fairways are relatively flat and the greens are mostly relatively flat. This, I would say is a very post World War II approach to routing Duneland properties. Keeping in mind obviously that Fred Hawtree and Jage Taylor did all this in nineteen thirty two, so I guess in a sense they were ahead of their time. But this kind of a approach where you where you're kind of avoiding the bigger dunes is something that I associate more with modern links in Great Britain and Ireland than with links that were built or redesigned in the nineteen twenties or before. So those are the two big points I'd make about Royal Birkdale's routing. And it has those returning nines, each going toward the ocean and then coming back, and it has this tendency to stay between the big dunes instead of interacting with those dunes. So do those points conform with your experience of the course, Joseph, They do.
Speaker 2: This is not a correction, but I wouldn't say that. When you're playing the golf course, it feels like you're at the beginning of each nine kind of going out towards the sea and then back. Since it is insulated and you never see the sea, it's not like the wind intensifies as you get closer to the sea. So it doesn't really feel that way to me, that you're making your way out towards the water and then.
Speaker 1: Doesn't feel like there's like a magnet that's attracting you out there, like it doesn't St Andrews, you know, going out toward the estuary, it feels like, you know, that's drawing you out, and then the town draws you back. There's not that same feeling.
Speaker 2: I played the golf course one time, so I don't want to There might be people who play it every day and feel that way that they're being drawn out toward the sea and then back, but no, it didn't feel that way to me. I think the other The only other part that maybe you didn't mention that I felt was true and I think it sometimes discussed with Burkedale, is it does make your changing directions a lot. For the first twelve holes, you're never really playing two holes in the same direction there or even like straight and back right back. Once you get towards like thirteen, fifteen, seventeen and eighteen all kind of play in the same direction, and then fourteen and sixteen play back in the opposite direction. But until you get to that point of the golf course, you're sort of always playing in different wind directions like that. That's the big part that's noticeable when you're playing it. The wind is kind of constantly changing on you, and that is something that I like about the golf course. But yes, i'd say the defining characteristics of flat fairways and flat greens situated between dunes you're appropriately hitting on. And in terms of the going out to the sea and back.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: And I have Google Earth pulled up and I'm looking at it, and that's certainly true, but I would say it doesn't it doesn't feel that way when you're prying the golf course.
Speaker 1: Well, this is why it's insightful to have you on because I'm just looking at Google Earth and being like, oh, look at that. But yeah, I mean, I guess since you can't see the ocean that you don't necessarily have that orientation of I'm going toward it and then coming back. But the changes of direction is an important point to make about this routing, and it's another thing that I associate a little bit more with not modern links, but more like post nineteen hundred's links. Right, Whereas a lot of nineteenth century eighteenths links golf courses were happy to go out and back and have multiple holes going in the same direction. In sequence, there was much more of an emphasis after the turn of the century on varying the direction of the holes throughout the course. Now, another thing that I've heard about World Birkedale's routing is that a lot of holes are set on crosswinds specifically, so the wind comes in from the Irish Sea predominantly northwest, and a lot of the holes are kind of oriented, you know, perpendicular to that wind direction. Is that something that you picked up on while you were.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, I would say I need to think through the prevailing wind on every shot I had the prevailing wind, So it's sort of helpful here as a reference. Like straight away, the first hole you can go O B right and the wind is off your left, so it's not the most comfortable t shot, which is something that I like about the golf course in terms of how it tests pros. Some of the other shots, yeah, some of the par threes, like seven is I think a frequently photographed hole, kind of a short part three. The wind is straight off your right. Twelve another part three that is often photographed and one of the more iconic holes. I guess you'd say, I don't know that any hole at Brokedale's necessarily iconic, but twelve would probably be.
Speaker 3: Towards the top of the list, straight off the right.
Speaker 2: So some of the holes at the end you have the wind you're either straight into or it's behind you. But I would say, especially through the first twelve holes, you're dealing with a crosswind, which is really difficult to play. And there are a lot of shots where you've got to start a shot if there's a decent amount of wind pretty significantly far right of the green, if the wind is off your right, and trust that it's going to come back, like playing in the wind is a very significant variable at Brookdale.
Speaker 3: Yes, a lot of crosswinds out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we get significant wind during the open, it's going to be challenging. It's going to be entertaining because because the ball is going to be getting pushed left or right. You know, you're not often traveling directly up or down the prevailing wind. If you get the prevailing wind, players are going to be having to manage their shot shape with some pretty narrow corridors. You know, they're going to be pushed into these dunes in one direction or the other. So, yeah, the course can it can very quickly become a beast from the sounding.
Speaker 2: I guess, not to interrupt you, but I would need to maybe think this through a little more. Like Shittacock, for example, the prevailing wind is not the most difficult way to play the golf course when you get the opposite wind to the prevailing winds right right versus at Brickdale, I would need to think about how all the holes are oriented. But I think the prevailing wind would probably be the most challenging direction. Don't don't hold me to that, but it's a really difficult wind to play the golf course in. So I don't know if that's I would want to flesh that out a little more before saying it definitively, but it feels that way and going through the holes.
Speaker 1: In that's an interesting point. Yeah, that's kind of a different approach to routing for the wind. Do you route for the most difficult course to be the most common course, or do you route for the course to be most manageable in the prevailing wind. Obviously, the easiest wind is no wind at both of the courses, but if you get the prevailing wind at Shinnacock, the down wind holes are often the logger holes and the into the wind holes are often the shorter holes. That's just the way William Flynn approached routing for the wind there. The course is challenging enough as it is, and so you know, when when the wind comes more out of the north at Shinnecock, then you're really in trouble and a lot of members choose not to play the course on those days. And you know, when we happen to get that wind during US opens, that's when Shinnecock really turns into a beast. So yeah, interesting at Rollbrickdale that the approach seems to have been perhaps different. All right, let's move on to the primary hazards Royal Brokedale. I've identified three categories here bunkers, dune, vegetation and wind. Now we've already sort of talked about the wind, so let's get into the bunkers. What was your experience with the bunkers at Royal Birkdale, both in terms of their placement and in terms of their style of construction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I know we're going to talk a little bit more about the renovation work that Tom mackenzie spearheaded in advance of this open I think a lot of that was to soften some of the bunkers and make them a little more playable for members. And I would say, in comparison to some other open venues like Litham for example, which I have a reference for now less Penal, the bunkers are a little more playable from around the greens. You can advance the ball farther if you find a fairway bunker. But in play like I think the bunkers are located in places overwhelmingly that makes sense that will be at the appropriate scale for professional golfers, so not as there aren't a million bunkers. I don't know exactly how many bunkers are out there, but it's not I wouldn't say you feel like there's a bunker everywhere, but definitely they are real hazard, just not as penal at some other Open championship. And you don't have to come out sideways. It's not like if you're in a pop bunker around the greens you have no chance. The pretty manageable, I would say, kind of going back to the fairness idea that you laid out at the top of this podcast, kind of feels like if this, if the original vision was that you should be able to get up in town from a bunker, then that is represented in the golf course.
Speaker 1: So it's not like Roal Liverpool where the bunkers are kind of intentionally sadistic in a way right, where they you know, intentionally created kind of flat bottom bunkers in a lot of places that were all Liverpool so that the ball would end up against the lip and not be advanceable. Roy Burkedale a little bit more manageable. Now, what about a position. Just looking at Royal Birkedale, it seems to me that often both sides of the fairway and both sides of the greens are defended by bunkers. But we have a few different kinds of arrangements in the fairways, some staggered arrangements here and there. What was there general feeling about how the bunkers were placed the spots that they most frequently show up in a player's kind of dispersion pattern.
Speaker 2: There's not a whole lot of like a bunker in the middle of the fairway or a bunker that like juts out into the fairway that makes you think about whether or not you want to lay up short of it or try to push past of it. It's more bunkers that are to the side of the fairway or to the side of the greens, and you're not thinking as much I would say about like distance control and again, do I want to play short of this or try to push past it. It's more if I hit something offline, there is a bunker there to catch it. And I think that's basically the general premise throughout the golf course, so there's very little exception to that. Sixteen is one where there's a bunker in the middle of the Fairway, I don't. I'd have to think about if there's any other ones that are like that. But often, you know, you might have a bunker on the dog leg and you got to carry it. If you don't, you're in the bunker. Like That's how number six is. Yeah, I'd say that's the general which which I think kind of goes in line with the Penal school of architecture that you alluded to again at the top of the show.
Speaker 3: So that was my experience with it.
Speaker 1: It would likely be that would be the method that the Jage Taylor would prefer and defend, though I'm sure he would like more cross bunkers to be present at Royal Birkdale. There there generally aren't kind of like big bunkers at Royal Birkdale. Most of them are small pots and sometimes they're chained together to create a bigger hazard. But rarely do you see the kind of big bunkers going across the line of play. You know, there are a few that Mackenzie and Ebert reintroduced to certain places. To a couple of holes here and there, like on five and seventeen would be the examples that would come into mind. Fairway bunkers that are more of that kind of blowout style, more rugged in their appearance, and of course bigger as a result. What was it like when you were off the fairway and in the rough?
Speaker 2: So this is the biggest, I would argue, the biggest defense of Royal Birkdale, and from my perspective, in what provides an effective test of professional golf. Having a golf course where there's a lot of space and the fairways are pretty narrow. But often the fairway might be let's say, twenty five yards wide, but from dune to dune or from really thick dune vegetation area to thick dune vegetation area on the other side it's like sixty five or seventy yards. So often what you will find at Brickdale, and I would this is one of the defining characteristics in my opinion, kind of a narrow fairway and then five to eight yards there's usually like maybe three yards of rough, like a first cut that's pretty short and you're fine if you find it ball sitting up, and then another like five to seven yards of kind of a thin ish native area that's playable. You'll find your ball even if there weren't spectators out there, but you don't want to be there. It's sitting down. And then once you get wide of that, you get this thick, dense vegetation. And if there weren't spectators, you probably wouldn't find your ball, certainly wouldn't be able to advance it very far. If you get really wide, then there could be some instances where you're in spectator areas and you kind of get bailed out and open. But largely I would say that is the texture, the complexion of the golf course. A pretty narrow fairway, a small penalty for missing, and then a very very significant penalty for missing wide, and that is where these dunes are in play are impacting the golf course because you could hit into the side of a dune super thick lie, I have almost no chance of advancing the ball. If you were to kind of map out the penalties with like a small miss and a wide miss, it's probably about, as you know, mathematically symmetrical as about anywhere on any open venue that I could think of, And I guess there's probably some aversion to that to an extent in some architecture circles.
Speaker 1: But I think talking about it couldn't possibly be me.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not even just saying you necessarily, but I know that when I've mentioned that before, that that there's I don't think it needs to be mathematically precise, but I do like when a wide miss finds a significant penalty, and I think that's part of why the pros will really like Royal Birkdale as it does that. That's what pros talk about all the time, like I want a good shot rewarded, a bad shot pun The wide t shots here are punished very effectively, and part of that is because how much space there is out there. It's not a cramped golf course where spectator areas now are bailing out or tournament infrastructure is bailing out a wide miss.
Speaker 3: That is a key characteristic.
Speaker 2: Of Brickdale and why I would argue in part that it might have more merit as a venue than it does as a golf course, and there is a distinction between the two.
Speaker 1: And Roal Brickdale has based its identity for a long time on the fact that it frequently hosts major tournaments, not just the Open Championship, but the Women's Open and the Amateur Championship, et cetera. And so this is a major reason for the club to exist. It is the thing that they pursue. And so, yeah, certainly makes sense that a graduated penalty would be cultivated on a lot of the t shots on these holes. And that's kind of what you're describing, this graduated penalty where the wide misses get the get the most severe punishment. The narrow misses still get punished, but less so. And if you're in the middle of the fairway and you hit it, you hit strike the ball, well, then then you'll often find yourself in a very good position to attack the whole. Okay, that's that's really interesting. Obviously, a key characteristic of Royald Birkedale, perhaps even more important than the bunkers, is the fact that the the dune vegetation, the rough is laid out in this fashion that you're talking about. This episode of Designing Golf is brought to you by Mobjack. Mobjack is a craft brand specializing in luxury lifestyle belts. These belts are forged from the mastery of skilled artisans who pour their expertise and care into every detail their handcraft. In the USA, using traditional cutting and stitching leather working techniques, Mobjack belts are produced in small batches with Italian leather finished to the highest standards. Basically, what we're talking about is a full leather backed belt with colorful woven patterns made from fade resistant materials. They have nickel plated solid brass hardware, which is very important, right, This is not flimsy stuff. And these belts are really versatile. They can be worn on the golf course or with business attire. And you know, they're a great alternative to the standard logo belt when you're trying to keep your logo count in check, and also an alternative to just the plain old leather belt and brings some color, some style to your outfits. Also, keep an eye out right now for a number of great mob Jack summer styles, including the Southampton, the new Port, and the watch Hill. So step up your style with a help from Mobjack. Go to mobjack dot com to see everything that they're offering, and use the code fried egg for fifteen percent off. That's code fried Egg, all one word at mobjack dot com. That brings us to the Greens. Joseph and I want to start with you here. You know it's hard to get a sense for greens from Afar from pictures. I've done my best and I have my general impressions of modern greens that have been built at many open road to courses. But how would you describe the greens at Royal Birkdale.
Speaker 2: It's hard to get a sense of even after having been there. Garrett like, I don't have a ton to say about the greens. They're pretty flat. There's a little bit of movement in them, and there's some elevation change, and I think some of the greens that have been built more recently have more of that slope, more slope in them, like the seventeenth there's a significant amount of slope in the seventeenth green. And the par fives tend to have pretty big greens, pretty long from front to back, which I think has its virtues from the standpoint of not just that it's they're achievable to hit intwo for somebody who's playing in the open, for a professional golfer, but also if you hit it in a bad spot at the ball, then can actually travel and roll into slopes into a bad area. So I think you'll see that on the par five, six, fourteen, and seventeen all are pretty big greens. But other than that, most of the greens are similar in size. They're oval, they don't have a ton of movement in them, and there aren't there.
Speaker 3: There are some.
Speaker 2: Most of them are surrounded by short grass, but it's not like, oh, if you miss right on this green, you're completely dead.
Speaker 1: It's not super severe, not super severe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not super There's not a ton of areas where if you're short sighted you're in a huge amount of trouble.
Speaker 3: I'd say largely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're oval, they have a little bit of slope in them, not a ton. In the defense of this golf course is not the greens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's basically been my impression. Now, instead of speaking specifically to Royal Birkdale's greens, which again I haven't experienced in person, I want to talk about what I would consider this sort of house style of green design in modern British golf architecture, and I'm talking more about work that's been done at Open Road to courses over the years by the likes of Martin Haughtree, Donald Steele and most recently Mackenzie and Ebert. I think there is a trend in green design and again, a house style and a lot of the greens that Royal Birkdale from photos I've seen, you know, kind of embody this tendency, So that style is basically a roughly and oval shaped putting surface, sometimes kind of peanut shaped, maybe almost always longer than it is wide, sometimes set on a diagonal, especially on par three's, but I would say usually set straight onto the line of play, often guarded on both sides by pop bunkers front right, front left with a short grass run up through the middle is a frequent orientation on the putting surface itself. Mostly flat, you know, generally speaking, severe tilts are not very common. You don't see a lot of prominent, rounded internal contours like rolls or spines or depressions or channels. Sometimes you'll see a tier to define a difficult pin position, but for the most part, the internal contouring is pretty simple and quiet. The most distinctive aspect of this house style, though, is these kind of scoopy short grass runoffs along the edges, basically chipping swales that will shed inaccurate approaches away from the putting surface and toward these lower collection areas. These swales often have roughly the same shape and scale regardless of the setting or the surrounding topography or whatever natural environment the green is tying into. But you see them a lot of places. Once you see them, you can't unsee them now. I would say, good example is the new Fifteenth Green, the new par three that Mackenzie and Ebert built, and we'll talk more about that when we get to the renovation work section of the podcast. But if you just look at the fifteenth Green, yeah, it's set on a little diagonal. There's some interest there, but it is longer than it is wide, it has some bunkering, but the primary feature is these chipping swales along the sides of the green that have this roughly sort of wavelike appearance, so that they are defined into different collection areas. This is something I see on a lot of modern and renovated links courses in Great Britain and Ireland. It is very characteristic of the work of Donald Steele, who renovated many of these courses in the seventies and eighties. You see it a lot from Martin Hawtree, and we've been seeing it very very often from Mackenzie and Ebert as well, though I will give Mackenzie and Ebert some credit here. I think that there there is a little bit more variety in the way that they've executed this concept on various greens than than we saw in the work of say Donald Steele. But but it is kind of still representative of what I would call this house style, And honestly, it just drives me crazy. I think. I think there's just there's this much much better ways to approach green design that they're there are so many ways that you can tie a green into its environment, uh and kind of mimic the surrounding landforms that are more elegant. But I'm just not sure that that we've seen a huge amount of shaping talent and have these courses in recent years at open road of courses. You know, it's often often this work is contracted out and and uh and and so to my mind, a lot of these greens have come out looking a little bit similar to each other. But that's just a general take, you know, not necessarily about Royal Birkdale specifically, because again I haven't seen them in person. I'm just getting an impression from the photos about these designs. But to me, it's starting to get a little bit repetitive.
Speaker 2: So my only quick reactions to that fifteen that you outlined the new Part three, which we'll talk more about some of the renovations later in this podcast. But that's a little more severe than a lot of what you see at Brikedale. Pretty steep actually where it falls off to the right in a tightly mown area that is pretty significantly uphill if you miss that green over to the right. Most of what you see at Brikedale, some of the greens are yeah, they're perched up, but it might be like a foot of the drop off. It's not that severe. The only other real exception I can think of to that is nine, which has a significant false front that if you come up short on nine, it probably rolls twenty yards back to your feet, and.
Speaker 1: Probably seventeen to two, which is like an enormously long green with deft levels to it.
Speaker 2: The par fives are long, and especially seven the greens the par fives are long, and seventeen has some pretty significant slope in it. I would say, outside of fifteen, the par three nine, which has a big false front. In the par fives, almost all of the greens are about the same size, whether it's Part three or Part four, about the same size oval and might have a little tight runoff area in different parts, surrounded by pop bunkers and not indistinguishable from each other, because somebody who plays there every day would know the subtleties of all the greens, but largely not a lot of variety in terms of their size, in terms of the little chipping runoff areas that you talked about.
Speaker 1: If you had to sum up the design philosophy behind Royal Brickdale, how would you put it?
Speaker 2: Well? I think it's relevant that it's in the lease that was granted to the course. According to the documentation that we were provided, it says this was designed as a tournament venue and that this is supposed to be a championship test. And I'd argue that it meets that criteria. That you know, fair is a word that I would probably be pretty quick to use here, And even though fairness isn't something that I necessarily think is super important ingredient in a golf course, I think that the general like you talked about, the gradual penalty here is a significant part of the design philosophy. Whether that was a part of the original vision or not, I don't know how much they were thinking about gradual penalty in the late eighteen hundreds or in the nineteen thirties when this redesign happened. But if you were to look at the golf course now, I think that's one of the noticeable things that you'd call out about it immediately. There aren't a lot of blind shots. There aren't steep runoff a super steep runoff areas where you find yourself in total jail.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like it's an.
Speaker 2: Eight It's a collection of eighteen solid holes that all kind of fit the same mold. Like, yeah, penalty for missing real premium on ball striking and being able to control your trajectories and penalties associated with not being able to do that, And that's basically every hole on repeat. But I wouldn't when I say that it sounds mundane or repetitive, I gotta say I didn't find the golf course to be repetitive rote redundant, Like I actually think there's a decent amount of variety out there, more than I would have thought before. And like from a memorability standpoint, the criteria do you remember all the golf holes? I do, and I find them to be a little more distinct than I might have thought going in so, but I still think that fairness and that gradual penalty feels like a pretty significant part of the DNA of this golf course.
Speaker 3: Whether that was part of the vision from the beginning or now, I think it.
Speaker 1: Was for sure. But I'm curious what distinguishes the golf holes from each other for you, because as if you were from home, that's something that has been really challenging with World Birkdale over the years.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the shot value is really high, and so there are a lot of shots that fully commanded attention. And for example, like the ninth hole dog leg right, you're not going to see too many golfers try and get over the corner because it's like two sixty and then once you get over the corner and it kind of slopes down to the right, the fairway gets very narrow and you almost have nowhere to land it. So you're going to see a lot of golfers hit shots that are, you know, two hundred and fifty or so yards off the tee and then they'll have some kind of wedge in maybe one hundred and forty yards with a lot of wind, and that's a different wind direction a different the whole dog legs in a way that's different than anything else out on the course. Really, I think there's quite a bit of variety in the first twelve holes. Maybe not the first couple, but you're playing, you're playing in a lot of different directions, and I think that there's a little bit of elevation change. Eleven, you're on an elevated tee and you're hitting that hole is pretty much straight away, but like you're right back into the wind, and that's a really, really hard golf shot that you have to flight something down, hit like a low piercing T shot, and if you don't have that, you're gonna get exposed. Does that come through on TV? Does that check the box of variety as much as maybe we might like. I don't know, but it was the only time I really felt like I had to do that that day, from an elevated tea box into a huge amount of wind. So I would say from a shot value standpoint, you're always your attention is always heightened, and the shots that you're asked to hit around the greens are pretty similar. But I off the tee and into the greens, it's a lot of different types of shots like the fourth hole is I think it's two twenty from this new back tea And when does straight off your left to a pretty small green surrounded by pop bunkers really really difficult? And then seven is a much shorter, it's a short iron when to straight off your right the green doesn't look that different. It's kind of a small green surrounded by pop bunkers. The shot is downhill Like those two part thres, I don't know how differently they come across on TV, but they play completely differently. So again, is that the variety that comes through on TV that you're talking about and being able to distinguish these holes from one another? Maybe not, but in terms of playing them, and I think the pro golfers will probably attest to this after they go through, especially the first twelve or so holes. I think it's a lot of different types of shots.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think what's coming through here for me is an impression that I've had all along really that Royal Birkdale is very invested in fairness. Now, that can be interesting. What's surprising to me, and what you're saying is is how interesting that was for you. But the design philosophy is one that is very devoted to fairness, and yes, this graduated penalty has something to do with it, but the level nature of the fair ways is probably the biggest factor at Royal Birkdale that for me, contributes to this overall impression that the courses is very much about fairness. If you hit the fairway, you will have a relatively level lie, with some exceptions here and there. It's not as though the fairways are perfectly flat. There's a little bit of rumple on them, but in general, compared to most Links golf courses, especially the fairways at Royal Birkdale, are relatively level. It's something that people have commented on at Royal Birkdale since the nineteen thirties that this is a way in which the course is very different from other Links courses. And there are some, you know, a variety of theories as to how these fairways came to be because if you look at the dune system there, if you look at the surrounding dunes, my understanding is that there are very few natural flat places and so when you see these fairways kind of running between these big dune ridges that are more or less level, you have to think that those are artificial, that they were constructed to be that way somehow. Now, it was relatively rare in nineteen thirty two, especially in Great Britain, that a course would be manufactured from tea to green in this fashion, so that that would be something pretty remarkable in Gulf architecture for the time. But you know, one theory that I read about in an article by Ron Witten from two thousand and eight before the two thousand and eight Open Championship. Witten's idea is that basically the course was routed through natural valleys, through places where there might have been even some water courses going through the dunes, but that the level of those valleys was raised a little bit. That they basically built the fairways up from the bottom of the valleys and left them relatively flat. And Ron Witten goes as far to say that you know, hat Tree might have hired a road contractor to build the fairways and that's part of the explanation as to why they are so flat. But yeah, this is a defining characteristic of Royal Birkdale and it's something that I think pros and joy where if they hit the fairway then then they're all right. They're not on a side slope. You know, that's something that competitive golfers have complained about at Saint Andrews since the eighteen hundreds, that you can hit the ball in the middle of the fairway the ideal position and find yourself on a weird lie. That can happen at Roural Saint George's, it can happen at Royal Port Rush. So you know, pros like these level lies in the fairway and that's something that Royal Birkdale provides for me, though it is the course is missing something because of that. For me, one of the most fascinating and pleasurable things about links golf is that there is undulation and the and there's a little bit of mystery, a little bit of complexity to the game once you're in the fairway, and you know, as far as a test is concerned, I think that the test of hitting off of an uneven lie is a worthy one for a professional golfer as well. So in any case, the uh, if we're talking about philosophy of design, those flat fairways and relatively level greens, that's an essential part of it. If you're within the playing field at Royal Brokedale, then then your game is going to be relatively predictable.
Speaker 2: I guess well, it's probably sounding like I like fairness more than I actually do. I think the course is missing something and how flat I would say how flat the greens are more than how flat the fairways are. That's one of the things I appreciate about Augusta National most the way that the uneven lies interact with the shots you have to hit like that is such a cool part of Augusta National that yes, I think Royal Birkdale is missing something with how flat the fairways and especially the greens are. But what I appreciate about the test, and whether you want to call this fairness or just the test of high level golf. You can't bully this golf course because of how big it is and because of how much there is a penalty for hitting something way off line. And I think in that sense it really commands a great golfer, a professional golfers attention, and a lot of these other open venues, sadly that don't play quite to the scale that they are intended to play. You can kind of stand on a tea box and say to yourself, like I can hit this one hard, maybe carry a bunker that is supposed to be in play and hit it anywhere, and even if I'm way off line, it's not going to be that big of a deal. And you can't do that as much at Royal Birkdale. So I think that's the part of it that I appreciated, and that it really heightened my attention on all the shots, because it's not like you can hit iron off a bunch of the te's it's still pretty beefy. And then if you're hitting driver and it's you got a significant crosswind and your ball is gone if you hit it thready yards right of the fair way, like that's a really good test. So it's for me it was more about the shot value than the adherence to fairness, though I agree with you that a little bit more slope and some more interesting greens, frankly, would go a long way at Royal Birkdale.
Speaker 1: Are there any courses that you think would be interesting to compare to Royal Birkdale, either in contrast or for characteristics that might be similar.
Speaker 3: I think it bears some resemblance to Port Rush.
Speaker 2: I do. I think there's some similarity to Royal Port Rush, in the way it plays through a lot of the dunes. It's not the type of links like baked out irons off to tea trying to avoid pop bunkers that jut out into the fair way. It feels I think it feels in a lot of ways similar to Royal Port Rush. Maybe this isn't the best reference since we haven't seen it super recently, but I think it's like the polar opposite of Royal Litham in sane Hands, which I also saw, where you're hitting bunker shots out sideways. It's like a quaint, tight property where you kind of look around and you're like, how can they have an open championship venue? How can this host and open? You go to Birkdale, It's like, yeah, this place can host and open.
Speaker 3: It's really big.
Speaker 2: Those dunes provide the good vantage points for spectators. So from the way it plays. I've never played Royal Port Rush, I have been there. I think there's some similarities, and then yeah, completely completely different than a place like Litham in Sant Anne's or any golf course that's really tight and you're kind of looking at other holes as you're playing, and maybe you have a wide miss and there's nowhere for the spectators to stand because it's a small property, so you're in the spectators and then you're hitting a wedge onto the green and it doesn't really test you that much. Like this is quite different than that. Yeah, yeah, I mean Royal part Rush seems yeah, similar in some ways. It is is of like a similar vintage, right that they're early thirties golf courses. Essentially, that's when Harry Colet did so much of his work.
Speaker 1: At at Royal Port Rush. But Royal Port Rush does have I think much more sophisticated in artful green design as far as I can see, and definitely a more assertive approach to routing large dunes. Right. There are big fairway contours at Royal Port Rush. It's not it's not that kind of playing between the dune ridges approach on every single hole though. A lot of the holes that Royal Port Rush are in these valleys, and part of that is inevitable on sites with big dunes. This is often a debate that golf course enthusiasts have with each other whether big dunes or smaller dunes are better for golf, and the argument against having big dunes on a golf course is that you can't really use them that much. You have to for the most part avoid them, or else the golf course will become non functional. And so small dunes can can create a lot of interest because you can play any which way over them, whereas at Royal Birkdale and to an extent world Port Rush, you're a little bit more limited to the valleys. That said, another interesting comparison with Royal Birkdale. In fact, I think the kind of yin to Royal Brokedale's yang is Royal Saint George's, where there are really big dunes at one end of that property, and the routing choices in that section are so bold, right. There's not this avoidance of blind shots, there's not this avoidance of huge fairway contours or really perched greens that might be considered unfair by some players. If you look at the first several holes at Royal Saint George's so which travel through such big dunes, it I think provides a kind of counter example to the design philosophy the routing philosophy of Royal Birkdale, and I think it also explains why We'real Saint George's is not as beloved by competitive golfers as as Royal Birkdale. It is St. George's is not afraid of quirk, it's not afraid of accusations of unfairness. But to me, it's thrilling because it actually interacts with the big stuff. It doesn't just use the big dunes as penalty or as scenery. It brings them into the golf holes. It actually maximizes the greatest asset of the property. And that, to me is what I really want a golf course to do. And so that's I love Royal Saint George's. When I played it for the first time last year, I loved it far more than I expected I would. And part of the reason is this is this approach to routing the golf course.
Speaker 2: No pushback. I think your critiques are valid. I think the parts of Brokedale that you don't love makes sense to me if you were to I think the only somewhat defense I'd offer is that if I think most people would put port Rush like miles and miles ahead of Brokedale, and to me that gap is a little narrower, probably than most people might assign it. I don't think broken is the golf course that port Rush is, but I don't find that to be a I don't think there's a huge golf between them, huh And why is that? Well? I think maybe the port Rush I think some of those holes blend together for me personally a little bit. And similarly to like it's not. I think the virtues of Brokedale, as we've mentioned, are how it tests a professional golfer, and I think it does some of that a little more effectively than port Rush. There are some unbelievable golf holes at port Rush and the fifth out by the water like there it has more outstanding golf holes, but I think a lot of the holes at port Rush kind of in the middle and even to start, aren't the badass major championship golfers, and Brokedale I think has a little more like from start to finish, commanding your attention where it can kind of bite you anywhere. So that's something that I like as somebody who watches a lot of professional golf. But in terms of one that to just walk every day, you know, maybe I'd feel a little more positively about a Royal port Rush compared to.
Speaker 3: Birkdale, at least using that criteria.
Speaker 1: Gosh, does a test of professional golf have to be boring? No, it does not. It does not. It sounds like that's what we're implying, though, that Royal Birkdale is a great test of professional golf precisely because of some of the aspects of it that make it kind of boring.
Speaker 2: I think it's more that, unfortunately, with technology, we have really outgrown a lot of the great, great designs across the world, and if they have been compromised in a way that the current dimensions of the game, you can overpower so many of these golf courses in ways that are obvious, like carrying a bunker, but also in ways that are less obvious, and you can hit a shot three hundred and twenty yards off line you might find grand stands or something, and then you have a pretty easy shot on and so like Saint Andrews, unfortunately, I think is a great example where people who love golf courses, and I put myself in this category, I know you're obviously staunchly in this category, get delighted to watch golf at Saint Andrews, and then the shot value doesn't always quite line up with how it's intended, and that can be to me, that's very disappointing to watch in an Open championship venue, or any major venue for that matter. So I think, with the exception of basically Augusta, it's very hard to find great tests of professional golf that are also beautifully designed, and so I think Birkdale, Yeah, is it beautifully designed?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Are there a lot of great golf holes out there? I don't think so, but I do think it's a really effective test. Now, the number of venues at this point that do both, it's very small, and again that's not because it's impossible to do.
Speaker 1: It's just because of the current scale of the game. You know, this is not a well worked out theory then I'm about to outline. But I've found myself recently wanting to move away from the framework of test when it comes to evaluating professional golf venues and more toward what makes a place a compelling venue overall for the viewer, primarily for the fan, and that doesn't always align with test. I don't think, for example, if you take a hole like the road hole at Saint Andrews, I don't know how the road hole necessarily rates on a test scale. But if you ask anybody what holes they want to see played in major championship situations, the road hole is going to come up. The fifteenth hole at Augusta National is going to come up. Are these holes really great tests of professional golf in the sense that they have high shot values for each shot and that they really identify the best player? Maybe not, but they inject a little bit of chaos into the tournament, and I think that's part of what people want to see, and that element of mystery and chaos and things just being a little bit off kilter. Maybe things being a little bit unfair is something that I crave in a professional golf venue. And I'm not sure that that that fits in with the framework of a great examination of golfing ability. But certainly I think it's the special sauce that makes certain holes so in certain courses so memorable, right, And that's something that maybe we're all burkedale acts a little bit there. There aren't many holes where I feel like, oh, this could get.
Speaker 2: Really weird, in complete agreement with you, and I think fifteen at August as an example that is a great test of professional golf and has that level of quirk and things can go awry. I think Tenant Shinnecock and I think Shinnacock is one of the premier major championship venues in the world, and it has that element of chaos. And again ten eleven at Shinnecock, I think are awesome, awesome tests of professional golf. I'm in agreement with you that Brickdale does not satisfy that criteria, and I do not think this is one of the best Open championship venues.
Speaker 1: I would not put this near.
Speaker 2: The top, but it at least satisfies the can you just get up and hit it wherever? No, you cannot, And unfortunately, there are so many venues now that fail to satisfy that criteria, and I think that is where my frustration comes from that if we were to significantly scale back the game, a lot of the places that you take delight in and have their quirk, we would actually allow that quirk to shine versus muting it because you can just overpower it. So I think it's a much more of a commentary on the state of the scale of the game than it is appreciating the level of fairness that Birkdale exacts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you there. But you know, Royal Birkdale has its place in the Open ROTA when you put it that way, right alongside the old course in Royal Saint George's and even you know some holes at Hoylake. Royal Birkdale has its identity, it has its position on the RODA, and I think it's probably good that the RODA features a course like Royal Birkdale, which is, you know, just has a different character than most of the kind of older links courses that where the Open Championship is held.
Speaker 2: And just quickly, this isn't Tory Pines, Like I think Tory Pines is the kind of rote like people say it's a good test, but sure not a well to designed golf course. I think it's kind of common sentiment at this point. I would just contend that Brokedale is more going on than somewhere like Tory Pines.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you often bring up the subject of wide misses when we talk about Tory Pines, where those wide misses really really aren't punished very severely compared to narrow misses, and that flattens the competition in some ways and makes it less satisfying. You know, it doesn't feel like maybe we've identified the best player consistently at Tory Pines. Although the winners there have been have been all stars, two degree, Royal Birkdale is there's certainly something more satisfying about seeing a golfer conquer Royal Birkdale. You know that they've you know that they've done a good job. And honestly, the roster of winners at Birkdale testifies to that one of the best lists of winners I think that any course can claim, and so that's that's something that I think the club can rightfully be proud of. All Right, let's talk a little bit about the renovation work now here. Toward the end of the podcast, we've gone through the elements of the golf course, given some takes on how we think it'll play and just what we make of the golf course architecture there in general. There have been some changes recently at Royal Birkdale, carried out by McKenzie and Ebert. The club hired mackenzie and Ebert in twenty twenty two specifically to prepare the course for this year's Open, so the changes they made were targeted at Championship Golf in case we haven't covered this before. Mackenzie and Ebert is a partnership between Tom McKenzie and Martin Ebert. On each of their projects, one of them takes the lead. At Royal Birkdale, Tom McKenzie was the lead architect, but as a firm, Mackenzie and Ebert are the undisputed Open Championship doctors. They now consult at all of the current Open RN golf courses, including the old course at Saint Andrew's, so they are incredibly dominant in this particular domain of golf architecture. Their work at Royal Birkdale was carried out between twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five, and the changes were extensive. Tom McKenzie made alterations to every single hole at Royal Birkdale. I'm not going to go through all of those changes right now, but one of the major goals of the renovation was to create more variety in the par three's. Previously, three of the four par three's at Royal Birkdale basically played in the same direction, and then the other par three often required the same club as the other par three's in certain wind conditions. So the idea was to just get more variety in the t shots there, and the way that they did that was to eliminate the old fourteenth hole and then to create a new par three playing back toward the clubhouse between what used to be the fifteenth and sixteenth holes. So the old fourteenth hole happened to kind of sit between the clubhouse and the practice ground. Eliminating that hole allows better access to that big practice area and driving range which will be during the Open Championship, a fan village, So this has been an infrastructural improvement as well as an improvement in the kind of directions and lengths of the par threes.
Speaker 2: And just to clarify it, yeah, what understanding is the fourteenth green that they used to have has just been repurposed as the short ging facility. So it's kind of sitting there like it was the old fourteenth hole, but it is now a short ging facility.
Speaker 1: And they can use it in the winter or something as a part three. They can still play it as a golf hole, but you know, basically the old fourteenth hole was kind of blocking access to that area. You know, now it's just a little bit more open there and the fan village, which is a big priority in any Open Championship these days is going to be a bit more easily accessible from the clubhouse than it would have been otherwise. So this new par three, the fifteenth hole, brand new hole designed by Mackenzie and Ebert, plays back toward the clubhouse, okay, in a different direction from the rest of the par three's, And then in order to have roomed for that par three, the current fourteenth hole had to be kind of shifted toward what is now the fan village. So you know, again, Mackenzie and Ebert designed and built a new fourteenth hole. Okay, So we have a new fourteenth, we have a new fifteenth, and from there the course plays home sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen roughly like it used to. So that is the single biggest change. Two new golf holes in that critical section of the back nine. The other really major change was rebuilding the fifth hole, which is a short par four. Basically it was not a very well respected hole, and Mackenzie and Ebert designed and built a new one in the same location. So those are the biggest differences, I think, Joseph that people will notice between the twenty seventeen Open Championship version of Royal Birkdale and the twenty twenty sixth version. Where do you want to go with this? What changes did you find the most interesting? What did you make of them?
Speaker 2: I think you are appropriately highlighting the most relevant changes. So like fourteen, now the par five is going to play if they want, like six hundred yards and back into the wind, and I believe it was five point fifty before, so there's some lengthening there. Fifteen is the entirely new part three. It's two hundred and forty yards from the back to very very difficult shot and completely different par three than what existed before. I understand the not wanting to have the same club in your hands four times, potentially wanting a little more variety. So that is the need that I guess I'll use need in quotes, but that's why they the impetus for that change.
Speaker 3: And then five is totally different.
Speaker 1: Five.
Speaker 3: I would agree that the whole before was not particularly good.
Speaker 2: It was just a short four that didn't There was no there were no bunkers in any of the landing areas off the tee. I think it was about three hundred and twenty yards before and the length hasn't changed much. But now there's a smattering of bunkers up by the green and a fairway bunker that kind of protects the left side. The other change on five that will probably just like kind of fly completely under the dar, but you might find interesting, Garrett is a pretty big dune on the right that obscured the view to the green was flattened. And I don't know all the reasons for that, or if it was an artificial or natural dune before, but like that was probably the one area where there was a blind shot if you wanted to go for the green.
Speaker 3: It was kind of obscuring the whole.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was the impetus for the change and not wanting to have any blind shots, but I just found that kind of amusing that I've sticked the one quirk kind of to the golf course.
Speaker 1: It is no longer there. Yeah. Well, the other quirk was that eighteen had two sets of tease and was kind of had a double fairway at the start of the fairway where you would play into the hole from different directions, And the thought there was that this hole had a schizophrenic identity and they wanted to unify it around one set of tees, So they kept the left setatees where the whole plays a little bit straighter, and that was no other quirk of the golf course that has gone away. I'm not necessarily saying that that was like the coolest thing or that it was genius design or anything like that, but they have taken that away as well. Yeah, taking the blind shot on five away. What do you make of the new fifth hole? I mean, just looking at it, like in terms of strategy, like not bad, you know, I don't I kind of see what they're going for. I guess pushing up towards the green on the short part four is feels a little bit risky, or you know, the landing zone is a little bit more obscured. You can kind of lay up to the left a bit. I mean, what did you make of the new fifth hole?
Speaker 2: When I make of the fifth hole is what I make of the changes on net overall, Garrett, which is, I feel like they've replaced holes, at least in the changes that they've made that weren't particularly sacred or special before, with holes that still aren't necessarily that great a golf holes or special or sacred now. And I think the fifth hole before it was weak, and so this is an upgrade almost by default.
Speaker 3: I still don't really like this golf hole. I think it looks really weird.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of rumpling of the fairways to the right of the green that looks really artificial and funk.
Speaker 1: As soon as I saw that, I saw some early pictures of this, maybe even in twenty twenty four when they executed this shaping in the run up to the green. Basically it's very lumpy, bumpy, but doesn't really look natural because it's a bit too uniform, and you don't really see that elsewhere at Royal Birkdale because, as we've discussed extensively, the fairways are fairly flat, and so I'm not sure why they made this decision to create artificial mounds around this set of bunkers that kind of runs up to the green.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of a weird, a little bit of a clunky, awkward golf hole to me. It's again, before I don't think it was a good golf hole, but now, like, if you want to go for the green straight back into the wind, you're gonna have to hit something. It's like three hundred ish yards to the front of the green, but there's nowhere really for you to put the ball, Like there's bunkers all down the right side that you're going to end up in. There's like a pretty narrow fifteen ishuyard wide gap if you go let the left side of the green that you could hit something up there. But I think you're gonna see most guys when the wind is up, just hitting iron into the fairway, and that iron is harder now, like there is a fairway bunker protecting the left side of it. It's not as thoughtless off of the tee. So I think from an execution standpoint or the golfer what they need to execute, the shot value has been enhanced and it is a more challenging golf hole. I still think it looks weird and I don't think it's a great hole now, But again that's kind of how I feel about the changes overall that they made. I'm pretty neutral on them. I think I understand the rationale for them. I don't think they blew up anything sacred, and I think in a couple spots things look a little weird. Left of sixteen green is another spot that I immediately clocked as I was playing. I was like they took out two bunkers and you can tell like it looks really funky left of the sixteen green, like these two big swales where the bunkers used to be. But overall, I think a lot of the changes were fine. I'm not offended by the fit fifteenth part three that that one is going to be highly scrutinized next week during the Open. It didn't bother I think it's fine. I think it's a pretty good golf hol for pros. So overall, I think on net I rate out somewhere neutrallly on all the changes.
Speaker 1: You know, because of rural Brookdale's history as a golf course that was meant to host tournaments and that never really had precious golf architecture to begin with, I find myself challenged to get too worked up about any of this, you know, as far as I'm concerned, I think I come down where you do. It's fine. It could be better. Yeah, the architecture could be better, the shaping could be better, the tie ins with the natural environment could be better. The strategies could be more interesting, the greens could be more interesting. All of this. But it's not like they're running roughshod over Harry Colt or Thoms Simpson greens here, you know, And that's what it really raises my hackles with new work at places like Royal Liverpool or if they were to do anything God forbid to the older greens at Royal Saint George's, you know, that's where that's where I'd get I'd get kind of angry. But with World Birkdale that this has been the nature of the course from the beginning. You know, they kind of make make some changes for each Open Championship it's been in a course has been in a continual state of flux basically from the time that the club moved to the stretch of Doomland to the current day. They're always making these little adjustments. Do I think that the you know, from Afar, does the golf course design look like it falls short of the kind of best design work that's being done today. Absolutely, yes, But I'm sure that it will be a fine Open Championship venue, that it will be challenging, that it will be a test, and if the wind is up, it's going to be incredibly entertaining because you know, wind and linksland terrain is an invincible combination and no matter what the golf architecture on the ground is, that would be interesting. So hoping for wind that's always going to make an exciting tournament. So yeah, I'm I'm I'm kind of kind of with you on that, Joseph. I wonder if there are any are there any particular holes that you're especially excited to see or or even just like a little more excited than then you are to see the rest of the holes, because as we've established, there aren't any particular huge highs. There aren't high highs at Royal Birkedown necessarily, But are there some holes that you think people should keep an eye on?
Speaker 3: Yes, and sorry, just quickly on the changes.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing we should highlight is that a lot of these it's a lot of these holes are at sea level, and there was a there was a legitimate flooding issue with a lot of these holes. And so I think a lot of the bunkers, especially in the winter, like the Seventh Green, they have now raised, and I mean I think that hole is just as good or if not better now, and.
Speaker 3: There was actually a practical need for some of it, so I wouldn't be called that.
Speaker 1: I think This is part of the history of the routing of the golf course where it was routed through kind of what are called dune slacks, right, basically waterways between the tall dunes. Obviously, that's going to create some drainage issues and probably explains why a lot of the greens are you know, a little bit built up from the terrain in some slightly repetitive ways. You know, that's that's good for drainage. So yeah, good note there golf holes that you want to keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean five and fifteen people should monitor because those are brand new ones, as is fourteen. But I think forming an opinion will be interesting. It'll be interesting to hear what other people say. But I would say the part three's in general, I would just I would be excited to watch. There's not going to be carnage. There's no like postage stamp hole. But they're just very difficult shots. And so I think like seven and twelve, you're going to get a hard win off of the right and seeing who has that shot, whether they hold up some kind of cut, if they're alrighty into the wind, can you start a shot far right enough when the wind is significant like you really do have the golf course is exposed, like you've got to hit pure iron shots that really play the wind.
Speaker 3: So I think those are interesting to keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: One right off the top, maybe not the most interesting golf hole in the world, but again there's ob right and there's a hard wind off of your left when the wind is up. So no, there's not one hole in particular that I think people need to be a fixed to their TV when it comes on. But I think overall watching shots get smacked out of the air and seeing who can flight their ball and hit a pure iron shot that is basically present on every hole when the wind is up, and I think that's the main thing to get excited for him to watch. Who are some of these frauds that can't do that, that just hit it way up into the air because it does not work out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit of justice for the driving range rats, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, precisely.
Speaker 1: A couple of holes that you know, again jumped out to me just looking at photos and kind of trying to piece together how players would approach the holes. The eleventh hole, you know, kind of cool angles off the tee dog leg par four. The fairway bunkers define different landing zones and and I would expect different players to choose different landing zones depending on wind conditions. The green is oriented to the inside of the dog leg, a little bit offset from the shape of the fairway, in a way that's slightly unusual at Royal Burkedale. So eleven jumps out to me as you know, a nicely executed dog leg par four hole. And then the other one that I'm looking forward to seeing and that I remember being pretty entertaining in twenty seventeen is the seventeenth hole at part five. Coming home, you know, you can get aggressive over the big dune on the left for a chance of reaching the green. And two and then the green itself, you know, a little bit out of character with the rest of the golf course. It was built by Martin Hawtree back in the nineties, but very long, undulating green that introduces a different flavor to Royal Birkdale. And you know, in isolation, considered as as its own hole. And you know, putting aside the concern about the fact that this green is is not like the other greens at roll Birkedale, I think it should be should be fairly fun to watch players navigate that green on the way home with a potential shot at the Open Championship. So eleven and seventeen are kind of the holes that jump out to me.
Speaker 3: Six is also a pretty cool tea shot. I'd call that out.
Speaker 2: It's a par five for member play, but they play it as a part four, and there's a bunker down the right and a bunker down the left as it dog legs to the right, and seeing which guys try to take it over that dog leg.
Speaker 3: It's narrow. That fairway gets really narrow.
Speaker 1: Rory did it.
Speaker 2: I was rewatching twenty seventeen. He just bombed it over the corner. But it's only like seventeen eighteen yards wide, and that's one of the very few areas on the golf course that has any water. There's a little water hazard that runs down the left side and you can bounce through the fairway through a little bit of fescue if it's got some pace on it, into that water hazard. So I think that's actually a really good t shot for these guys.
Speaker 1: Cool. Yeah. I mean, if there is strategic interest at Royal Birkdale, if there are angles to consider, then often it is on these dog leg holes where you have the option of taking it over the corner of the dog leg and trying to hit a fairway that's oriented on a diagonal in relation to the line of play. You know. I think that there will be some pros who kind of appreciate that there is a legitimate question on a lot of tea's at Royal Birkdale whether you air out a driver or take a shorter club, and I think for that reason that there will be some pros who maintain that, yeah, this is a strategic golf course because I think that's how a lot of pros understand strategy. Is this a hole where I'm actually being persuaded to take driver out of my hands. There might be a couple of places at royld Brookdale that they do that, which I think will register as interesting to the pros, even if it's you know, a little bit less interesting on the whole for viewers compared to other things that could be going on on the golf course.
Speaker 2: And how that club choye interact with trajectory I think is really important because some of the golfers that they can hit something flighted down like a hard teed down driver.
Speaker 3: That changes the calculus a little bit.
Speaker 2: And the wind is just such a significant part of this test that I think that's an integral part of that off the tea decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't be surprising to see a player do really well in this tournament hitting a driving iron off the tee, like just kind of trying to bully the course with a low trajectory accurate driving iron like Brooks Tepka did at Chinnacok Hills in twenty eighteen. Certainly would not be surprising to see that happen. And of course wind is the X factor here. If we get wind at this tournament, you know, basically everything that I've said in my critis of the golf course and that you've said in your critiques is almost rendered irrelevant, right, I mean, it's just going to be It just be so fun to see this course played in the wind. You know, good golf architecture is always a plus. It's never it never goes a miss. But the biggest, the biggest factor is the combination of wind and firmness. If we get that at this Open Championship, at any Open Championship, we are going to have fun. So I'm looking forward to the tournament. Joseph, thank you for coming on the podcast. Really appreciate your perspective. Thank you for traveling out there and actually seeing the golf course so that we can talk about it in an in depth way on this podcast. Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to sacrifice to travel over there and play it. Thanks Gary, always job. We have always enjoyed talking golf courses with you. Yeah, it'll be It'll be great to see what people think of the course. I'm interested in what the public perception is of Birkdale, but it was a pleasure to talk about it with you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Make sure to follow Joseph's work this week and next week for the Open Championship. He's going to have some good stuff coming up, all right. This episode of Designing Golf was produced by Will Balsam. Thank you Will. If you've been enjoying what we've been doing on Designing Golf, I can guarantee that you would love what we're doing in Frida Egg Golf Club. Go to the Frida Egg dot com slash membership to see what FEGC is all about. But basically it's Frida Egg Golf's membership. It's one hundred and twenty dollars a year and with your membership you get a number of wonderful things, including exclusive content like our pretty extensive course profile library. These profiles are our in depth explorations of golf courses that we love, and you get access to the thriving FEGC community. Lots of avid golfers in there who just want to share their love of the game, Lots of people. Recently we launched the FEGC app which has been going really well. This is a great way for members to interact, so lots of cool stuff happening in Frida Egg Golf Club again the Frida Egg dot com slash membership. Come join us, Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again soon with another episode.