Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Ethos and what Ethos does is it helps you find life insurance. Let me tell you why life insurance bailed me out. My father died when I was sixteen. We didn't have a lot of money when it happened, and we were in a pretty tough financial spot after it happened. I'm an only child. Suddenly my mother's single, single mother. She had a job, suddenly lost a job, looking for another job, and we were struggling. You know, my dad didn't leave us in the best financial situation, but he did make one purchase. He bought a life insurance policy. Wasn't a huge chunk of change, but it was enough when we found it. And when I say we found it, meaning we went through his desk and we found, oh, look at this, let's see if there's anything here. And it helped us out at a time that we really needed it. And that's why I think it's important that if you can, especially if you have young children, if you can get life insurance, you should get it. Life is full of unexpected emergencies, unexpected things happen. It is an extra bit of security, something you can leave and help out at a time when you're you're not there to help. So what does Ethos do well? Ethos makes getting life insurance fast and easy, and it's one hundred percent online. You can get a quote in seconds, you can apply in minutes, and you can get same day coverage. They will find you the right fit. There's no medical exam. You just answer a few simple health questions online. You can get up to three million dollars in coverage and some policies are as low as thirty dollars a month, and you'll get your lowest rate from their network of trusted carriers. So take ten minutes to get covered today with life insurance through Ethos. Get your free quote at ethos dot com slash chuck. That is e thos dot com slash chuck. Application times may vary and rates may vary. Hello there, I'm Chuck Todd and welcome to d Thursday, or call it the Long Weekend edition of the Chuck Podcast. So twenty four hours ago, I I'll be honest. Right as I was recording, we knew that he was going to get an exit ramp on all Things Iran, and then he sort of did his typical you know almost celebratory aspect of things that looked like he was suddenly business partners with Iran, even floating the idea of a joint venture to collect tolls on the straight up.
Speaker 2: Hoorn moves well.
Speaker 1: Needless to say, if you're trying to figure out what is going on in Iran, you're not alone. Is the straight open or clothed? Is the ceasefire holding or not? Are we done with this war or not? Because if you listen to Pete Hegseth, it's over. If you listen to General Kane not so much. And who knows about the president. This is easily turning into one of the more humiliating moments in American modern American history. I mean, this is this is nothing short of a debacle for American prestige. Throw in a concern about whether any ally can trust us, whether you're Israel, whether you're Europe, whether you're a Gulf state, your cutter. We could judge whether these how close these allies can be. But Donald Trump is proving to be an erratic partner. And before I get into what I think the fallout and where we're going, I wanted to just remind ourselves, you know, boy could anybody have seen this coming, this idea that we would have somebody running American form policy as the commander in chief who would create, somehow take situations which were impossible to make worse, and he would make them worse, like Oh, I don't know, handing the Iranian regime the control over the Strait.
Speaker 2: Of Hormuz.
Speaker 1: And you and you ask yourself, cheeze, did anybody raise any red flags about this? Anybody? Well, it turns out some of President Trump's most important supporters these days, we're actually.
Speaker 2: The ones.
Speaker 1: Sounding the alarm the loudest, arguably back in twenty sixteen. And it feels very important for us to go back and remind ourselves because we're in this situation where we have just pissed away American American prestige in the Middle East in particular. But it is just a total and complete mess. Whether it's our relationship with Europe, whether it's our relationship with Southeast Asia, whether it's our relationship in North America, whether it's a relationship with Israel, whether it's our relationship with Saudi Arabia UAE Kadhar. And again, I go back to what I said earlier, Some of these relationships.
Speaker 2: Some of you may not.
Speaker 1: Like the United States having at all, but whatever you think, when you make a commitment in the name the United States of America, you would assume any American president is going to stick by it.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to just.
Speaker 1: Make sure I was not hallucinating when we were watching this debacle happen and we're living it in real time and it's all impacting our pocketbooks.
Speaker 2: And then some.
Speaker 1: I thought it would be important to remind folks that there were plenty of warnings out there, and remind folks that there are Republicans in power today who were concerned about exactly what has happened. And when you hear their silence, now you should be outraged, and you should and then some. So let's start with Lindsey Graham again. This is in May of twenty sixteen. In an interview with Time Magazine, Lindsay Graham May six Trump is basically the nominee by this point, okay, and Lindsay Graham says the following. I just believe his temperament and judgment is not sufficient to be commander in chief of the finest fighting force in the world. I think his foreign policy is gibberish. And of course, in May of twenty sixteen, Lindsey Graham tweeted, which is still out there. If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed and we will deserve it. Now, of course that was not true. So one thing Lindsay Graham was wrong about was the political viability of Donald Trump, and he wasn't alone on that. But I want to go back to what he said. I believe, I just believe his temperament and judgment is not sufficient to be commander in chief of the finest fighting force in the world. I think his foreign policy is gibberish. Well, we'll last twenty four hours Lindsey Graham Circuit May twenty sixteen. It's pretty prescient. Let's move to Marco Rubio March of twenty sixteen. He's an active candidate against running against Donald Trump, so you can chalk this up to that. But here's one of his campaign statements, this official campaign statement, Marco Rubia on Trump's fitness. We've seen a scary side of Donald Trump. It isn't just the opposite of what the Republican Party stands for, it's the opposite of what America stands for. More Marco Rubio on giving him the nuclear codes. We're about to turn over the nuclear codes of the United States to an erratic individual. Jeez, is Donald Trump as president displayed any signs of being erratic? Oh, you mean, like forty eight hours ago when he threatened to eliminate an entire civilization. It was clearly a veiled nuclear threat. The White House had to put out of it. No, no, no, he's not talking about news. But they waited until the question was asked. And then, of course there's this kicker, which is on video. You can find it anywhere that archives of video, because this was set on CNN in March of twenty sixteen. For years to come, there are many people on the right in the meetia and voters at large that are going to be having to explain and justify how they fell into this trap of supporting Donald Trump because this is not going to.
Speaker 2: End well one way or the other. Again.
Speaker 1: Marco Rubio, the current Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, the person that, according to The New York Times, pushed back enough on Trump to say, I'm not sure about regime change, but if you narrow the mission, okay, I can go out there and sell them.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Marco Rubio. Now think about future Secretary of State to Donald Trump, Marco Rubio, who said the following, and I'm going to repeat it because it seems incredibly important and pression at this moment for years to come. There are many people on the right, in the media and voters at large that are going to be having to explain and justify how they fell into this trap of supporting Donald Trump, because this is not going to end well one way or the other.
Speaker 2: If you're a.
Speaker 1: Real hawk about Iran, or you're a real dove about a run, donald Trump has failed you. If you're a hawk about the use of American forces or a dove about American forces, donald Trump has failed you. Donald Trump lets down everybody. He always has, and that has been his mo. He has done it every single business. Remember, this is a man that failed to make money owning a casino. How incompetent do you have to be to not be able to make money owning a casino, let.
Speaker 2: Alone his foreign policy.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Ted Cruz, who, while running against him, brought up the issue of nuclear of the risk of nuclear putting the nuclear codes in Donald Trump's hands. I don't know anyone who would be comfortable with someone who believes this way of having his finger on the button. I mean, we're liable to wake up one morning and Donald if he were president, would have nuke Denmark. That's not the temperament a leader to keep this country safe. What's really eerie about that quote about Denmark is this was before Donald Trump was musing about Greenland in February of twenty sixteen. This was literally Cruz just picking a country, like the least threatening country in Europe he could come up with. And yet it turned out Cruse stumbled into something that was true. While we haven't bombed Denmark, it is clear Donald Trump has all but said he's pulling out of NATO because of Denmark because they won't hand over Greenland. But if only somebody had warned us, if only the Republican Party of twenty sixteen still existed. How about Nicki Haley. She said this during the State of the Union response in January of twenty sixteen on behalf of the Republican Party. Well, Donald Trump is the front runner. During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices. We must resist that temptation. The next morning, she was asked if Trump was her target with that comment, and she said, mister Trump has definitely contributed to what I think is just irresponsible talk, but I still can't help right, the real kicker is Marco Rubim. For years to come, there are many people on the right, in the media and voters at large that are going to be having to explain and justify how they fell into this trap of supporting Donald Trump because this is not going to end well one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Well, this is not ending well.
Speaker 1: This Iran war was not well thought out, clearly was not something was we learned in the New York Times over the last forty eight hours from Maggie Haverman and Jonathan Swan that there was a lot of hesitation and then bib Natyah somehow found a sucker in Trump, right, bib Natya, who tried to convince Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, everybody else knew that Bibie always came in and overhyped his intelligence and oversold the capabilities and oversold what they could accomplish, because those other four American presidents actually trusted their own intelligence agencies, this one only here's what he wants to hear. And he surrounded himself with people who decided that in order to keep their jobs, they would not disagree with the president. Now they're going to claim as we hurt as this time story spells out that in their own way, they tried to steer him, They tried to let him know how difficult this would be. But none of them were Gymnatis, none of them were Mark Milly, none of them were John Kelly. People who had the guts to say this is stupid, don't you know? There was at the end of the Obama presidency they started trumpeting what they said was the new Obama doctrine, don't do stupid shit. This is the definition of stupid shit.
Speaker 2: Not having a.
Speaker 1: Plan going about this sort of damaging the military's reputation, even though the military itself did their job, and in some cases did their job quite well. But if you don't have a strategy around your military campaign, then you might You're were wasting munitions, you are wasting the credibility of American military mighty. And now look what we have. So where are we and what does this mean going forward? Well, it was, as you know, and I've been saying it for a while. Trump put himself in this box. He desperately wanted out of this war. He literally grabbed a lifeline to get out of this war. But the problem is he just took whatever lifeline the Iranians would offer him. And so now there, you know, this ten point plan that Trump seemed to indicate that he accepted the premise of that the Iranians were circulating included ridiculous things like getting rid of all sanctions that go back to the George W. Bush administration, that include full reparations for the damage that was done. And he indicated it was a workable place to begin negotiations. And then all of a sudden, the backlash comes and what happens, Oh no, no, no, no, he threw that it's a different ten point plan.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The point is, and it goes to something that David Milliban, the head of the International Rescue Committee. This is my exclusive guests for my Newsphere show. This normally comes out this weekend, but it's actually we're going to push it out early for variety of reasons due to scheduling. I had to tape it earlier this week, and you know he was Foreign Secretary for the UK and you know he dealt with the Iranian regime every now and then, and he will tell you he goes The number one thing they like to do is negotiate. They don't want to end negotiations. They've used negotiations. It's very similar to Putin, right, the Putin strategy of these bullshit cease fire talks that have supposedly been happening over the last six months or what is it a year now since remember Donald Trump was going to end this war in Ukraine twenty four hours once he was elected president. Well, it's gone real well, right, the Russian strategy, they're not interested in ending this war. But the more that they negotiate, the more it puts Zelensky on his heels and they get to do what they've been doing. Well, the Iranians are this regime is the same way, and they will negotiate and negotiate and negotiate. In fact, it was getting that way with that nuclear deal and finally they found an endgame. So now the question is, you know, first of all, is it a ceasefire? Is the straight opener closed? The biggest problem is the Strait is now in the hands of the Iranians, and we're going to have to negotiate it. They started this off by thinking there was going.
Speaker 2: To be regime change.
Speaker 1: By the way, speaking of regime change, the new I had told them Comani's son.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: Axios reported that it was the new Supreme Leader who said, no, no, no, no, it's time to let's try to come up with a cease fire. Any green Linen Well, The Times of London reported that the guy's not cons and has not been conscious since given the job, So we don't even know who we're negotiating with. Nobody seems to know whether that guy is dead or alive. Apparently he's not dead, but nobody's quite sure if he's conscious or not. And if we're negotiating with the IRGC, well, they have no interest. They certainly would like a ceasefire because if they would like to pause and gather, and my god, this ceasefire, I mean, it is handing the Iranians everything they could have ever asked for. Right, They've got the President of the United States making ridiculous over the top threats that actually create condemnation. The Pope spoke out, and of course the Pope speaking out has then got parts of Maga world so angry that they're like trying to ret in the Vatican. So this president can't handle criticism to the point that he's going to declare war on the Vatican.
Speaker 2: And you know, I know.
Speaker 1: There's a source of Maga that hated Pope Francis and source of the right wing part of the Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, it is.
Speaker 1: Some strange Brew And then you have the whole there's sort of an anti Catholic contingent in this Maga world. Pete Haigseth this sort of part of that crowd, right, that's why they apparently, you know, wouldn't even allow a Catholic Mass at the Pentagon Chapel on Good Friday. So there's always been there's a weird and I have to say, politically, that's incredibly risky, right, if you wanted to just look at swing states by religion, there's a lot of Catholics in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan, Iowa too. By the way, if you in Ohio, if we in certainly this cycle, they're going to be competitive states. Whether they're swing states again, we'll find out in twenty eight. But they're certainly going to be competitive in twenty six, so I'm not sure pecking a fight with the Pope, the first American pope, who frankly is the most interesting and likable pope we've had ever as far as Americans are concerned. My god, he's a Chicago White Sox fan, right. That is, you want to talk about devotion, that's devotion. But the President makes this ridiculous, over the top call somehow creating some empathy for this Iranian regime.
Speaker 2: So, to borrow some.
Speaker 1: Words from Marco Rubio, this is not going to end well, one way or the other. This episode of the Chuck Todcast is brought to you by Wild Grain. Wild Grain is the first bake from Frozen subscription box for sour dough breads, artisonal pastries, and fresh pastas, plus all the items conveniently baked in twenty five minutes or less. Unlike many store brought options, Wildgrain uses some simple ingredients you can pronounce and a slow fermentation process that can be a lot easier on your belly little gut health there right, and richer in nutrients and oxidants. There's also no preservatives and no shortcuts. The Wild Grain boxes are fully customizable. In addition to their variety box, they have a gluten free box, a vegan box, and a new protein box. I will tell you I have done the gluten free box. I have done it a second time. I have also used the code the todcast code. You use the promo code toodcast at checkout, you get thirty dollars off. I've already used it as a gift to somebody else who loves this bread. It is hard to find good gluten free bread. It is fantastic. They give you step by step instructions. I really dig this. There is nothing like having an artesian bakery in your freezer to chase away the winter chill. Now is the best time to stay in and enjoy some comforting homemade meals with Wild Grain. I obviously highly recommend it. It is worth giving Wildgreen to try. Right now, Wildgrain is offering my listeners thirty dollars off your first box plus free croissants for life. Come on when you go to wildgrain dot com slash podcast to start your subscription today. That's thirty dollars off your first box and free croissants for life. When you visit wildgrain dot com slash podcast or simply use the promo code podcast at checkout. This is a sponsor I absolutely embrace, so use that code. Here's the good news. This war was clearly not working. The only way you were going to seed and all your goals here is to put in ground troops, and he clearly didn't want to do that. Understandable, it's this you know he did. This is going to be a quagmire.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The person who understood that getting involved in these Middle East wars was a dumb idea supposedly was Donald Trump, But perhaps he can't even remember his own campaign pledges from twenty twenty four, let alone twenty twenty and twenty sixteen. So now what well, I think the best we can hope for is some sort of negotiated settlement on the straight. My guess is there might be some fees that are going to be connected to rebuilding some parts of Iran. Maybe that's how this is done. The world economy, I mean that, you know, Donald Trump cares more about how markets and the stock markets behaving, and knowing him, he's sitting there bragging to his own people, Look, look what I did. I made all this money back by getting this by convincing the markets there's a cease fire and that the Strait is open. By the way, we still don't know if the Strait is open, but a whole bunch of people got to make money on Thursday on Wednesday, so I'm sure he's feeling pretty good. The point is he does care about that part, and he does care. If he is the trigger for a recession, it may be too late, right, the damage that has been done to a variety of facilities in the region. It's not like all of a sudden everybody just turns up. No, there's going to have to be repairs. There's gonna it's going to take months for the energy markets to sort of become whole again. And that's assuming this stays as is. But what's funny is the Israelis are complaining that the United States got to deal without consulting them. Well, it does look like the Israelis are making their own decisions on Lebanon without really consulting.
Speaker 2: The United States, and that.
Speaker 1: It's clear the Iranians are hoping that the United States will pressure the Israelis to back off a Lebanon and more importantly, has blah because they're trying to keep their proxies in place. The point is is it goes back to the initial criticism. Okay, the worst thing is to be an equivocator. If you're going to be the commander in chief, are you here? Are you here? When you're an unreliable ally? You're not an ally. Unreliable allies are simply people on your contact list that you've decided not to alienate. But you're never going to really trust them on anything. That's the United States at the moment. Is any NATO nation to trust the United States to come rescue.
Speaker 2: Them right now? Of course not. They won't.
Speaker 1: There's going to be people in Israel that are wondering whether they should trust the United States. Now.
Speaker 2: Look, you know.
Speaker 1: It is Donald Trump's fault that he didn't trust his own intelligence agencies. That he took the word of the Israelis that this regime change was going to be easy, This was going to you know, everything was going to tumble, right, And this is classic Donald Trump. He gravitates towards the person that tells him the best possible outcome, not not necessarily the most likely outcome. Right, So Bbe is selling him this incredible and you'll be the one. You'll be the American president that did what all these other American presidents failed to do. Well. He has become that president. He is somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in what was, as far as a military campaign is concerned, should have been fairly winnable. The United States has done plenty of destruction. They've certainly crippled the country. But again, the regime itself, they just care about staying in power if it takes some years to rebuild, but they get to stay in power, they don't care. These are people that killed their own kind simply because these people were asking for more freedom. And this is who Donald Trump wants to make a deal with. Maybe or maybe he won't, who knows. But can we put to rest the notion that the Madman theory of foreign policy is ever a good idea. It's ridiculous and all it does is erode America's credibility. And look, we already have very little trust in our government right now as a society. Just look at the numbers. We don't trust people in any corporation these days. We don't trust anybody that doesn't come from our world. In our news feeds these days. But there was something about the word of the United States still mattered somewhere and he's gotten rid of that. And that's not going to get fixed overnight. That's not going to get fixed with one new president. It's going to take us multiple presidents, probably having to be eat some eat, some crow, and some humble Trump, humble pie. We're going to be apologizing to the world for Donald Trump for decades, whether it's in one on one relationships with countries, because of this ridiculous trade policy that he's come up with that's only alienated allies. Right, What is he done in the area of foreign policy that has improved a relation and American relationship? I know some of you might say, well, Saudi Arabia or is it? Those are transactional relationships. And I'm sorry, go talk to anybody serious in Israel to think if they actually think.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump is a reliable aully.
Speaker 1: Go ask anybody inside up in the upper echelons of the UAE of the Saudis right now, they thought Donald Trump was a useful idiot that they could manipulate.
Speaker 2: And buy off. Well, they bought them. They've done that.
Speaker 1: They've bought the family and the man's still unreliable.
Speaker 2: Now. I guess you could say Donald Trum can't be bought.
Speaker 1: Well, he weirdly can, but we just don't know who he's working for at any given time. Perhaps, but he's just a erratic and he's unstable. And it's not as if we weren't warned he was a erratic and unstable in some ways. He's consistently inconsistent. I've always said this, He's authentically inauthentic. He's consistently inconsistent, and his instability has been stable over a ten year period. He's been unstable the whole time. But the mistake so many people make with Donald Trump is that they think, oh, no, I can control him. I can do this, and nobody ever can. And the problem these folks have is all of the backsplash ends up on you. He always walks away with much less dirt on him than on everybody else. And I promise you, if this gets really bad, he will be blaming everybody left, right and center. But everybody inside this current Republican party knows damn well what he has done to the credibility the United States is a disaster. And why do I know they know this?
Speaker 2: Because they said it ten years ago. They all knew it.
Speaker 1: They knew it then, they knew it in January of twenty twenty one when Mitch McConnell choked. And we are all paying the price. The world's paying the price again. Whatever side you come down on on our relationships in the Middle East, we've burned all of them. And he has put the next president in the worst possible position. We're going to be going hat in hand all over the world again having to fix or apologize for things that Donald Trump has done. I remember, I'm old enough to remember when when when the right got mad at Baraco, they thought Barack Obama was having to was apologizing for for for George W.
Speaker 2: Bush in the Iraq War.
Speaker 1: Well, it certainly caused some anxiety in Europe, but nothing like this, And there was a lot more. Ah, there was a lot. You know, there may have been disagreements that I had to handle Iraq, but there wasn't a lot of disagreements on what to do about Russia and what to do about and whether Europe was an ally or not, and whether you treat Canada and Mexico like partners or like adversaries.
Speaker 2: But here we are.
Speaker 1: And this is a big bungle, and there's you know, we make get dragged back in at this point, so this may not be over. I think Trump doesn't want to go back in. I think he wants to wash his hands of this and somehow hope he can paper over what is going to be a giant mistake.
Speaker 2: Now I do think it. I do. I'm going to end this little.
Speaker 1: Rant on the topic that does not that we all have chosen not to talk about as much anymore, because there's just in some ways there's nothing to do about it. But there is only one country that continues to benefit from how poorly the president has handled American form policy. And you know where I'm going, mister Putin, and Russia the biggest beneficiary of all of this. This is bigger beneficiary than even China. The Russians benefit the most their clients state Iran, who has been their most important military supplier of these drones. It is depleted American munitions, it is depleted the supply that Zelensky was counting on to help Ukraine that we were sort of doing in this sort of quasi len lease program through NATO. Meanwhile, America's relationships around the world are all fraid due to Donald Trump's erratic behavior. There's one person that's benefiting and one entity that benefits the most. Oh well, only somebody had warned us. Only somebody running against him had said. There are many people on the right, in the media and voters at large that are going to be having to explain and justify how they fell into this trap of supporting Donald Trump, because this is not going to end well one way or the other. It's going to be on Marco Rubio's tombstone. That's how much that quote's going to live in infamy. Our Secretary of State there is I don't want to overlook what happened. What else happened this week, which is, you know, in some ways more cow bell if you're the Democrats, a massive overperformance in the Margie Taylor Green special and the blowout on the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Right, remember where we were a year ago with mister Chainsaw Musk, and that was that was what a competitive race was supposed to look like. That was somewhere I think a nine to ten point twenty points. This is Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: I tell you one thing it has done. I was.
Speaker 1: I was sort of assuming that Wisconsin voters would do what they've done regular, which is so you know, they go back and forth on their governors, and we're going to be to open governor seat, and you know, slight advantage to the Republicans, not after what I saw there. All I'll say is Senate Republicans ought to be happy there's no Senate race in Wisconsin this year, because.
Speaker 2: That was a shocking blowout. Remember the the the the non.
Speaker 1: Liberal candidate, I don't know whether he was running as a conservative, was trying to run as an independent, and it went nowhere. So I think I look at what happened on Tuesday as a reminder that this war is accelerating the Republican Party's problems in this midterm. And I do wonder, and it's this is I will say this to my friends and the right who know this is a disaster, who know they've got to find a way to save face here in order not to get blown out. Trump's very vulnerable right now. He's on an island. He's on an island in his own West wing. If the Republican Party wants to have some credibility.
Speaker 2: Going forward.
Speaker 1: In a post Trump era, those that attempt to distance themselves now will probably be glad they did come twenty twenty eight, because again, this blunder, this one's not getting papered over. I know with Trump, we've been here so many times. Oh there's this, there's this, there's this one, this one. There's certain things that are in permanent marker. This one's in permanent marker. And I think the political situation is deteriorating very quickly.
Speaker 2: On the right for the right.
Speaker 1: And you know, you can we can have this argument all day. You know, you can try to distance yourself and see if you can mitigate this, because I don't think the base. I think the base is going to be more fractured than ever on this. I know what the numbers say, per se, but you're starting to see it. To me, that blowout in Wisconsin is an indication a whole bunch of the Republican base is like, I ain't bothering if you get any sort of turn out situation like we saw in Wisconsin this week, and this is what you see in November. Are we going to talk fifty two Democratic Senate seats, fifty three? Could we really see thirty or forty House seats? And I think the numbers are very difficult to get out high. I think a wave frankly is four Senate seats in twenty to twenty five house seats, but that in Wisconsin. If that's if it's closer to that, that's how you get to That's how this gets over thirty to thirty five house seats, and that's how you get to four to six.
Speaker 2: Seven seat pickups. I would saying we're there yet.
Speaker 1: But boy, every week it looks more viable all the time. This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Soul. So if you love that end of the day unwined but hate the hangover, Soul's out of Office is for you. These sparkling THCHC drinks and gummies give you the same relaxed social feeling without the alcohol, without the calories, and without the crash. Soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious hemp derived THCHC and CBD products designed to boost your mood and help you unwind. Their best selling out of Office gummies were designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood, and enhance creativity and relaxation with five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe. So also has a variety of products specifically designed to help you get a better night's rest, including their top selling Sleepy Gummies, a fan favorite for deep restorers.
Speaker 2: Sleep Look. I have made no secret.
Speaker 1: I am a believer in this stuff, in cannabis and hemp derived. I do not partake in alcohol. For the most part, I think this stuff is a lot safer than alcohol, a lot less addictive than alcohol. And yes, I have to say I love these drinks. It is the glass of wine and you know after work, that's what this is. So no hangover and no excess calories like this. I'm a big fan. So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to sold today. Right now, Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order. Go to getsoul dot com and use the word toodcast that's getsol dot com promo code podcast for thirty percent off. And yes, I too, am a customer.
Speaker 2: Pass Chuck.
Speaker 1: First question comes from Barry M in Miami and he just wishes me a happy birthday. I tell you, mister Manelo, I appreciate that. I appreciate the sentiment. I don't know that the M is for Manelo, but if you're Barry M I'm going to assume it's Manelo.
Speaker 2: So thank you for those wishes.
Speaker 1: Next from Mark in Cleveland, and he writes, could you share your thoughts about the long term damage being done by the Trump administration in terms of what's being missed by incompetent leadership. I think about the late nineties, when gas prices were under a dollar, the tech bubble was still growing, and the news seemed almost boring all the while the plan for nine to eleven was being hatched different times, obviously, But I just wonder what's being missed that will come back to bite us in the future. Thanks Mark and Cleveland. Well, I'll tell you my biggest concern. It goes to actually at the heart of that New York Times story on how net Yahu sold Trump on the Iran War and when he came in with this intelligence from Masad. Hey, no, no, no, no, we know that regime change and this is going to happen, that people are going to fight, and so the Israeli intelligence agencies claimed one thing the America John Ratcliffe headed the CIA, and he's not not exactly a Trump antagonist. It's called it bullshit. Marco Rubio did. They sort of all did except for Hexa. But so my biggest concern is you have a president that does not trust our intelligence agencies.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 1: He views them as enemies, right, he views them as the deep state. We have a Director of National Intelligence that does not believe the intelligence community. I do think John Ratcliffe does.
Speaker 2: I think he is. I think I.
Speaker 1: Know him a little bit. I choose to believe that he takes his job seriously and that he trusts the men and women at the CIA I think are The National Security Agency is run by you know, I think a competent person. But my concern is threefold on this because you say, what's missing. That's the thing we don't know. I can tell you that I'm I gotta be careful here of my own sourcing here. I don't want to burn anybody. But there are multiple issues in our intel community right now. Number One, you have rank and file intel agents who don't trust the political bosses. What do they withhold because they're worried about their own sources being built?
Speaker 2: That should they withhold?
Speaker 1: No, they should like, whatever you think of your political bosses, that's the democracy. But that doesn't mean the instinct of these career CIA guys is to not trust these political actors who have been dismissive of what they do. So that's number one. Number two is the concern that what I just said also applies to the quote five eyes. Five eyes is the essentially the English speaking the white English speaking countries, right, it's Canada, the United States, Australia, New Zealand that share intelligence and Australia, United States, the UK, Canada, Yeah, five eyes in the United States, this is the quote five eyes. Well, there is a lot of distrust these days between the Canadians the United States, between the Brits in the United States, pretty much between everybody in the United States.
Speaker 2: So how much is.
Speaker 1: Being shared there? We already know of reports that Massade is so concerned about leaks, particularly by the commander in chief. It's you know, Trump's one of those people who will just blurt out stuff. So the point is there's a lot of intel being withheld from our intelligence agencies. Intelligence sharing is a huge, vastly important thing that takes place. So you're asking me, what do we I think we are. I think we are incredibly blind in a lot of places, incredibly blind because you have rank and filent intel officers who are concerned about their political bosses. You have other allies who are withholding some information for fear that it may fall into the wrong hands. So yeah, I think it's it's quite possible. You know, we were distracted by impeachment back in ninety eight ninety nine when ben Laden was doing all of this. In fact, i'm when when when Clinton actually launched a missile strike to try to get ben Laden missed him by day. He was accused by some Republicans of playing wag the dog, that it was a quote distraction from the impeachment inquiry. I think it's a fair critique that essentially the impeachment, you know, this was both why the impeachment was damaging to our national security and why Clinton resisting resignation might have been dangerous to our national security.
Speaker 2: Right, what would have been in.
Speaker 1: The best interest in the United States was to not have this issue, right, and I understood the political fight and all of this stuff and what was the line, but there's no doubt that we missed something when it came to Bin Laden. So you're right to do this. The problem is I can't I can tell you I know all of those these issues that we have right now in our intelligence gathering, so we don't know what we're missing. But I have a feeling we're missing something big and it is a cause for concern. This is why I you know, you know, it could be the worst job in the world in twenty twenty nine, is having to be the president to follow Donald Trump. Next question comes from Brad. You've often said that DC is more veep than West Wing. If you're comfortable shit saring, what's the most veep thing you've seen? Thanks for everything you do, Keep up the great work. Isn't the most veep thing we've seen? This around debacle at this point right where we go from threatening the obliteration of a civilization to maybe we'll start a joint venture in the straight of horror moves to collect tolls, which is a true thing that Donald Trump did this. Boy, in all seriousness, I say, in all seriousness, like this is all serious.
Speaker 2: At this point.
Speaker 1: Boy, I don't know if I have one big thing, but there's like, you know, whether it's staffer, you know, the way staffers sort of you know, over worry too much about whether their boss is going to have the right drink of water on set, or want to do all these things. But I wish I had a I wish I had a good go to answer. But the problem is, and this is what the Trump ra has done. Like Trump himself is kind of a parody at times of Trump, right, Like there are times you're like, there are plenty of times you see some of these Trump truth socials that get repurposed and retweeted all over or on Instagram, whatever, and you look at me, You're like, this can't this one can't be true. This one's going to be made up, right. I mean that's the problem is that he is in some ways he may kill satire, because how do you he certainly made it really hard to write fictional politics. I say this with somebody who was working on this with a with a friend of mine. We off and on are working on a potential, you know, some sort of thriller based in Washington, and you say to yourself, you know, if you sort of borrow the law and order model, right, you sort of rip from the headlines, you know, it's stranger, right. This is the case, classic case with the phrase truth is stranger than fiction.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: When the more I think about your question, what's the most what's the most deep thing you've seen, it's the Trump presidency, right, whether it's how he's handled the Kennedy Center, how he's handled the gold lemeat everywhere, the sort of you know, you know he is. You know, he's such a creature of the of the sixties and seventies and eighties. You know, one of the leading you know, sort of showmen of the seventies was a man named Liberaci. And if you've never heard of him, you should google him. Just a flamboyant sort of showman piano player. He would just you know, it was. It was sort of like if Billy Joel and if Elton John and Lawrence Welk had a baby, it would be Liberaci. I know that's a strange thing to say, but it was. It was sort of like because it was piano bassed, right, but it was sort of you know, it was.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 1: To describe Liberaci as flamboyant, as almost un selling him. And yet if you spend some time looking at like there's some great tours of where Liberaci lived and his the Vegas abode and all this stuff. Let's just say I think Donald Trump would be right at home. I just think that the entire presidency feels like a VIEP a series, you know, season ten of VIEP. Next question comes from Andre in La and he says, one very powerful way that the Republican Conservative Party gets their messages out to their bases through talk radio. Why do you think that most Democrats tapped I haven't tapped into that market. Even out here in California, Conservative talk radio is very effective in getting a message out and slowly building momentum for ideas and talking points. I know that somewhat point MPR, but it does not move the needle in the same manner. To hear your take on this, best regards, Andre, Well, you know, it's interesting. There's a little chicken and egg when it comes to talk radio talk radio.
Speaker 2: You know, if you think about the.
Speaker 1: Russlanbot Times, right, which was before Russell and brother, was another conservative talk radio icon named Paul Harvey. And that's the that's the rest of the story. If you've ever heard I was about to say, that's the way it is. That was cronkite. The rest of the story. The rest of the story was a Paul harveyism, and Paul Harvey was conservative without being a sledgehammer about it. Rush became a sledgehammer. But it was you know that the talk radio you got to think about it almost demographically, right, who's in their car more often? It was like the traveling salesman, the person that's on the road, the sort.
Speaker 2: Of almost like.
Speaker 1: White collar working class, meaning like it was sort of service sector but sort of maybe insurance salesman, pacemaker salesman, you know, a small time financial advisor, or I'm just you know, a lawyer, but that's always sort of trolling for business and I and again it is sort of working class, white collar. I don't know house to call it, right, you know, there's right, there's the people that schower before work and the people that chower after work. Right, these are still people that chower before work, but they're in their car all day. And that was always the hard So you know, I've always thought that talk radio just sort of the demographics just fit right, and the person that's more likely and you throw in, right, the traveling salesman or any of these folks. I just described all work on commission commission and the taxing of it. So that was sort of an already it was sort of like it was, you know, to me, sort of already almost like a predisposition to the message on the right, which was a little more anti government. You know, low taxes, they're you know, you're working hard, they're taking money out of your pocket, and you know, it was sort of the middle manager class, if you will. So I just think it the reason it worked for the right, and I think it's less so now, I really do. I think in many ways, podcasts of you know, everybody now as their channel. You're right, I think there's still what remains of talk radio really is targeting retirees, right, folks that still are sort of in the habit, but that were radio listeners of the nineties.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a little bit of that.
Speaker 1: I think over time you're going to see that when these folks age out of voting, I think you'll see sort of talk radio, you know, like I said, in some ways, it's already shifted to this, you know, to to this independent world. You know, whether it's Ben Shapiro or what Tucker Carlson's doing or even what Megan Kelly's doing and things like that. So, but the the other part with the left is it's the left is just more fragmented and where they get their news and where they get their information and always kind of has been in different ways. And I just think that radio is never it just wasn't in some ways. Television was right, I would argue for a long time, cable news and broadcast news was sort of was geared towards center left, and and then you had talk radio on the right. And then essentially all Roger Ailes did was bring talk radio mindset to primetime cable and so, and that's you know, I think that now the technology is going to be wiping that away. But I just think it was just sort of the if you think about the demographic that was in the car, right, and this was really targeted at. I can tell you most of the time that I ever listened to wrestling, but was I was in traffic. I know, I was sitting there and you're you're you know, this was in the Yeah, you might have had a cassette player, a CD player, whatever. I had, the six, I had the I had a Mazda six two six. I had you know, would immediately, you know, had a little CD player, had the I had a six CD change. I thought, I was, you know, I wouldn't spend money in a car about a U sixty six, but I, you know, I had that and as nice of a of a radio as I could. But she did get bored of the same six CDs. Right, Can you imagine only having six CDs to choose from back then? But I kind of look at it, you know, and I and you know, you could have a chicken and egg conversation.
Speaker 2: But I think it was just sort.
Speaker 1: Of a a predisposition of of the of the person that was most likely listening to talk radio at that time, and sort of melded with the message that the that the right was pushing at the time on on low taxes and less government. Next question comes from all love your show Wake Up Mornings out here in the suburban foothills of the Cascades in Washington State. It's amazing You've got a better view than I do. And I listened to your podcast to start my day. Well, thank you. Your list of droughts. Your list of droughts missed Washington State. You're right, I didn't and I'll tell you why in a minute. I was only talking about governor's races up this cycle. Washington State's always on the presidential cycle. Washington. There's actually another state on their Utah. It's also had a lengthy drought as well, sort of going the other way. But both Washington and Utah are always in the presidential years. But that's why I did it. But he goes Hey, it took me a minute to do the math. But having worked for both Dan Evans and John Spellman, I figured we were close to South Dakota. I count it as something like forty two years for what it's worth. I also worked for Democratic governors Dixie Lee Ray and Booth Gardner. I remember booth Gardner. Sometimes wonder if there's another person alive in Washington State or elsewhere for that matter, who can say they worked for two Democrats and two Republican governors. Are to imagine these days, Paul. Anyway, Paul, it's a good point, and I should have mentioned the droughts. You know, I was very That's why I was trying to be very specific about about being in twenty twenty six, so in the midterm year. But if you give me a second there are a few the bigger droughts, right, Utah and Washington are both at forty one years since eighty five on both of those and I think those are the only two on the and we're going to be getting there with Delaware, I think Delaware now. And Delaware is another state that is on the presidential year. There are eleven states that are on the presidential year, and of course two of those states, Vermont and new I'm sure every two.
Speaker 2: Years for their governors.
Speaker 1: So Delaware is currently on a thirty three year streak of democratic governors. But again, so just short of it was Mike Castle was the last Republican governor, and he left office in ninety two. There my Castle infamously is the Republican, the moderate Republican congressman who was going to be the next US Senator from Delaware, replacing Ted Kaufman who was the caretaker for Joe Biden Senate. See and then he ran into a woman named Christine O'Donnell who ran the great ad that said I Am not a witch, perhaps one of my favorite all time paid for campaign TV heads out there. She wins a Republican primary. So at the beginning of this mega movement before we were calling it a mega movement. And Chris coons is basically has a Senate seat for lafe. He was going to be the basically the nice man who was going to lose to my Castle for a US Senate seat in twenty ten, and instead he's now got a Senate seat for life. Frankly, he's one of the more thoughtful senators out there and one of the guys that does seem to want to put country before party when the chips are really down. All right, Next question comes from Kelly X in Texas. Kelly writes, this would be my fourth question you answer and putting me close to the Five Timers Club. We really got to keep track of this, Nason Lauren Wely, We really do. Maybe there's maybe there's swag we got to come up with, right toodcast five Timers Club.
Speaker 2: The it's gonna be something. We got to come up with something fun here.
Speaker 1: And hey, you know, since we want to keep everything for free, maybe a sponsor will want to be a sponsor of the Five Timers Club. See if I say these things out loud right, the ad sales team will be be fired up. So let's go anyway, Kelly X, let's answer your question number four on your way to the Jack Black five Timers Club. With the war with around you put war in quotes here, With the war in Iran ending and gas prices falling, do you think the GOP will be able to run on the economy improving in the midterm elections and winning the war. The way I look at it, that if there's any uptick in the economy at the end of the summer into the fall, that the blue wave may EBB and GP holds the House and Senate. Thank you for your insightful commentary and fins up.
Speaker 2: I say what you did.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see a look. I do agree that the fins fins that there should be something better with that with the Dolphins, and I think if they start winning ever again, that maybe we can start making some of those things work. Kelly X, I'm gonna guess you wrote this question before you found out that the straight Horr moves man might be open might be closed, before you found out whether are we really negotiating? Are we not negotiating? I don't, I I am I'm skeptical. I I you know, I hear your point. I think if this were a first term. I think if this were, you know, an administration that was going to be gearing up for a reelect, you know, they would be a little more focused, a little.
Speaker 2: More on top of things.
Speaker 1: But this economy is a mess and the globe we're all interconnected. This isn't going to just snap right back. And you know, I, I.
Speaker 2: Know we have short attention spans collectively.
Speaker 1: I just don't think our attention spans that's that short.
Speaker 2: On this front. I really don't. I think there.
Speaker 1: I think the exhaustion is there. I think it's real, and I think I go back to a phrase that I probably am now over using, but good gets better, bad gets worse. This isn't getting better because he's not getting better, right. I mean, he's been erratic. He's fired two cabinet secretaries in the last month. He's probably going to fire at least one more, maybe two more. So Yeah, I am skeptical. I hear your point, and it maybe it's possible. I'm not saying they're not going to try, but I think it's going to be very difficult to sort of Jedi mind trick the voters on this one last question, man, I go from a Finns fan to a Pats fan comes from mark H Pats fan and Alan Texas. God bless you, Hey Check love the podcast to take my mind off of civilization destruction, I asked Chatchbet to write a.
Speaker 2: Version of Billy Joels.
Speaker 1: We didn't start the fire, using only notable events from the current Trump presidency. It's amazing to shere volume of scandal, drama, and intrigue in just over a year. I think I've got to hit on my hands. Also, this won't stop tanking, but what about forcing an ownership change in professional sports after a certain period of ineptitude like they faced in the f One movie. For example, the New York Jets don't make the playoffs for ten years, the incompetent Woody Johnson has to sell the team. I'm looking hard at Cleveland and the Jets, maybe even the Cowboys. You could even do a Hard Knocks type series for teams facing divestger this. First of all, I wish you would have shared with me the lyrics. You would have gotten me to karaoke this a little bit. So here's first of all, my challenge to you, mark H. Submit the question with the lyrics. I want to see what you came up with. And I hope you know you got to include tolls in the strait of hormones. Kim Jong Un, Right, I can't take it anymore, so I gotta see the lyrics owner divestger. This is the single best tank anti tanking idea I have heard yet. Man, forget everything else, and I'm you know, this is a good place to sort of put a code on the weekend. This what's happening in the NBA. It's right, it's beyond what's the only good news about this issue of tanking in the NBA is everybody's talking about it. So if Adam Silva doesn't figure out how to do something about it, he's got it because he's got to face this owner putting forcing owners to have skin in the game. You know, one of the things I've always believed about these sports owners is that they are custodians for these teams. These teams belong to the league in the community. In fact, if the league didn't exist, the teams wouldn't The teams themselves would not have the value that they have, right, So the league's given the value. So these are these are basically just shareholders, right, they own the the Washington shares of the NBA franchise, the Dallas shares of the NFL franchise, right the New Jersey, New York shares of the of the Jets franchise. So I think this is a very fair way to do it. And if you want your anti trumpet, in fact it is it is up to the You know, the all of these leagues are essentially run by the owners, right, because they're all essentially shareholders. The board of directors are the owners themselves, and the commissioners all work for the owners. Yeah, we cannot put this on the teams. You can't put this on the general manners. If you if the owners knew they had to sell the team no matter what the market said at any given time, if they didn't, and my god, in the NBA you have twenty playoffs slots. I think you know one of my you know, I think the I would shrink the number of teams allowed in the NBA playoffs. I think ten in each conference is way too many. What if he had it down to six and he gave essentially you gave the h the one in the one and two seeds to buy and three, four, five, and six played best of five and then you got to the best of sevens. But if you shrunk the number of playoff teams, you go from twenty to twelve, right, six in each league in conference excuse me, I'm speaking baseball term server and the owners, right, playoff money is more directly in the owner's pocket than anything else, any other revenue that they get, right, other than their.
Speaker 2: Season ticket revenue.
Speaker 1: So that also would create an incentive if you're not getting if you're not able to fill your arena with playoff money, that's a problem, right, So the point is you're getting at it's the owners have to face, not fines. Although I don't know if you saw Draymond Green's rant earlier this week where he said, boy, they love to find players and we know there are ten teams tanking and there have been two fines total, And he's right, But the owners are in charge of Adam Silver, right, this is part of the problem.
Speaker 2: But if the you would.
Speaker 1: Think the good ow owners would want to shame their fellow owners into being better owners, right, what's in the best interest of the league. So I loved a Vestger. I think it's brilliant. My goodness, I mean the Jets. The Jets should have been sold decades ago, right, I mean Woody Johnson. I think there's a reason they don't put them in charge of Johnson and Johnson anymore. But that is this is absolutely brilliant. You know, you my god, White Sox and Bulls fans, They've been trying to figure out how to get rid of Jerry Hinsdorf for decades.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This is a guy that had Michael Jordan, and it was too cheap to even support that at times. I think this is the answer. You know, you go ten years without winning a playoff series. You know, it's either ten years without winning a playoff series or five years without even being in the playing game.
Speaker 2: Especially if you keep ten spot.
Speaker 1: Please, getting into the plane is not difficult. In fact, I think the Wizards have gotten into the plan over the last couple of years. Right, It is not hard to get into the plan.
Speaker 2: If you choose to, so.
Speaker 1: Mark, it's brilliant divestiture, best tanking idea I've heard yet one two send the lyrics.
Speaker 2: We got to know.
Speaker 1: I'm really bummed about the Nats bullpen. I know I sound like my friend mister Corneizer, who uses pretty much the opening monologue of every one of his podcasts to lament and complain about the Nats bullpen. But it's really frustrating because the Gnats are hitting. This is such a smarter I will say this, I am. I can tell this team is using analytics. I can tell this team is a bunch of young players who are listening to, you know, the Raise way of doing business. And they have a plan each night and they seem to, you know, go up there and there and there and then, and you could see the problem is, you know, you can't analytics a good bullpen and we just the art. Look, I know everybody's always in need of bullpen arms, right, this is not easy, but my word, it's it bad. It feels like every person that comes in from the bullpen the first thing they do is walk a guy. So it's like there's always a man on. It's from the sixth inning on down. I think the Mats have now blown three leads the eighth inning leads, So on one hand, it gives me a little hope that there's something going on with this lineup. And it's nice to see James Wood and just he his swing is so good that just making contact the ball's going to go.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean he had a home run that was a missile the other night. I mean it was in the It thankfully wasn't low enough that it that it hit the wall, but it.
Speaker 2: Left the yard so fast. Man it is.
Speaker 1: He has got such a sweet swing, mister James would but boy, this bullpen, man it is it is. If I thought the Nats were going to be competitive, I'd.
Speaker 2: Be losing my mind.
Speaker 1: I am relieved that the lineup isn't just garbage. I really sort of am enjoying that they find they just play baseball, they score, you know, they figure out how to put pressure on the other team. In fact, I look at the Blue James performance against the Dodgers, and I look at the Nats performance against the Dodgers, and I'm like, hey, our lineup's not so shitty, but if we don't have a bullpen, we're not going to win games. And you know what's so frustrating about baseball, right and the difference between if you go six and four every ten games throughout a season, you might you're gonna come close to winning a hundred games, and if you go four and six in every ten games, you're gonna get close to losing one hundred games, right this Those two games a week, right, those two games a week. You got to go six and four right every ten games in order to make the playoffs. And the difference between six and four and four and six every ten games is your bullpen.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: It's two things, the bullpen at the bottom of your lineup, right, and the good teams. The bottom of the lineup wins one of those two games, and the bullpen wins the other. And that's the difference between going four and six and six and four every ten games. It's why we baseball fans love baseball because the difference between great and disaster is literally two games out of every ten. It's the beauty of baseball and it's the frustration of baseball at times. But come on, nat, let's go keep trying to find new bullpen arms. Just throw in the miners and bring somebody else up. That's all I ask. Just don't keep bringing the same people out to walk the guy and give up the two run over. Bring out new arms to do that. You might stumble into the next ball schemes. All right, man, to say, we've had a crazy week as usual in an understatement, but do your best to have a good weekend. Compartmentalize politics, let people like me focus on it. I hope you enjoy your weekend. Thank you for listening to podcasts. Don't forget like and subscribe. I don't do that enough. I forget to tell people and Hey, if you want to break from politics but you can't get enough of the dulcet tones of Chuck Todd, please sign up for Dynastic with my friend Ja, Donda and I in our sports history podcast.
Speaker 2: And with that, I'll see d Monday.