Speaker 1: We want to share a good friend's podcast with you this week, Enjoy the Truth with Lisa Booth in the Clay and Bock podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Well, folks, we've got a big guest today, Speaker Kevin McCarthy is on the show. But before we get started, I wanted to play this epic exchange that he had with an Associated Press reporter about the House's impeachment inquiry.
Speaker 3: Listen, ben ia As that came out and said that both Chairman Jordan and Colmer were not able to resent anything that was an impeachable offense at this point, is that an assessment that you share?
Speaker 4: You know, we appeachment inquiry is not impeachment. So what impeachment inquiry is to do is to get answers to questions. Are you concerned about all the stuff that was just recently learned? Do you have any concern? Have you asked the White House any questions? Okay?
Speaker 1: Do you agree that?
Speaker 4: Do you believe the President lied to the American public when he said he'd never talked to his son about business deal?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: So no, it's all right. You can't answer that.
Speaker 4: Do you believe when they said the president went on conference calls? Do you believe that happened. That's okay. Do you believe the President went to Cafe Milano and had dinner with the with the clients of Hunter Biden, who believes he got those clients because he was selling the brand? Okay, do you believe Hunter Biden when you sell the video of him driving a Porsche, that he got one hundred and forty three thousand dollars to buy that Porsche the next day?
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to get into that exchange. Also, the funding fight on Capitol Hill with the September thirtieth deadline as well. Plus Joe Biden is weak, but Democrats might convict Donald Trump heading into the twenty twenty four election, So how do we win in that political environment? All that and so much more with Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy, stay with us. Speaker McCarthy, it's an honor to have you on the show. You've got a few things on your plate, to say the least, so we appreciate you making the time.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate it. Gave them the opportunity. Look, I always love a challenge, and every week seems different, and I've got a few challenges out there. But you know, what this country is worth, the fight to make it better.
Speaker 2: Well, you certainly signed up for the right job. If you love a challenge. You're getting hit from both sides here. You know, let's start with the impeachment inquiry. What's your objective with it?
Speaker 1: My objective with it is just to get to the truth, to get answers. And you know, it's really interesting. A lot of people don't understand what impeachment inquiry actually means. You know, when I first took over Speaker and we've learned all this new information, we never would have known anything had Republicans not taken the majority. I mean, think about what we've known so far. At the very beginning, the President told us that he never even talked to his son about any business dealings. We had an Attorney general who said when we asked for a special counsel when they were looking at Hunter, Biden said, no, we don't need that. If Wise needs to be a special counsel, he can do it. If he wants to prosecuting, where we'd back it all up? Well, lo and behold what have we found out? As the world transgressed, we soon learned that there was an informant to the FBI came to us and said, the FBI has known or has an alleged informant that said that Biden took a bribe, but said you couldn't find it because he had a lot of shell companies. We then found out that when Biden became vice president, his family set up twenty shell companies. We then found out now that twenty million dollars have gone to him and paid nine different family members. We have then found out just this summer why we were gone last month, that Hunter, Biden's business partner, Devin says, no, the President not only talk to him about it. Hunter said he was selling the brand, that the President would call in to the meetings, and that he had dinners that at both dinners there was outcome. One he got a new Porsche. Another three million dollars from a Russian oligarch was sent in the following days. And then all of a sudden, the sweetheart deal comes and we get some irs whistleblowers who come to us who say, you know, what Weiss and the Attorney General have told you is not what we heard in the meetings. Weiss told us that he wanted to be special counsel. They wouldn't name it, and he wanted to prosecute in two jurisdictions and he was denied, and he said, we took minutes of the meetings, we asked questions about it. We have since brought in two other people that were in there. They say the same thing. And then we've found out that now the vice president got sixteen of the seventeen payments from Romania while he was vice president the family. We now also learned that when the president told us they got no money from China, that yes, they got a million dollars from China. And now we've looked as well that the vice president at the time used a false name in emails. Why would you do that so you couldn't Foya, you couldn't find these emails. And in these emails, there's fifty four hundred of them. The archives control it. Obama gets to make the decision whether we get to see it. But in one of them, it literally has the President and Hunter Biden on it from the staff saying talking about a phone call with the president of Ukraine. What we learned from Hunter Biden's business partner who was on BISMA, the Ukrainian Energy Board with them is that there was a lot of pressure being mounted about the prosecutor in Ukraine. We know the President said back then he bragged about withholding a billion dollars of American taxpayer money to get the prosecut fired. It's all around the same time period. We do know from the IRS agents that the government wise allowed the statue of limitations to run out on Hunter Biden under the most egregious portions of his tax provisions, which IRS never allows to happen to any American. So this is just in a nutshell. We also learned that there is a White House staffer that worked at the Vice president office that refers back to Hunter Biden's business partner says the Vice President has signed off on the Berezma talking points. Now, we have never gone after the president's bank records, We've never gone after the credit card records of all these shell companies. We never got after Hunter Biden's records. But what we know is we're going to have to subpoena those and what impeachment inquiry does. It empowers Congress meaning Republican Democrats, if they offer a subpoena to be in court to be able to get the documents that you need. So what we believe is it's about getting answers. Now, if you were an elected official and all of a sudden, all this information came before you, and you've got a question. Is the Attorney General telling the truth? That could be obstruction if you had lied? Is there government? Can you buy government or bribe? Well, there's allegations. Wouldn't you want to clear that up if someone said that about you? So we believe we should get the information, put it before the American public.
Speaker 2: I hear you, and I care, and you care, and House Republicans care. Do you think voters care?
Speaker 1: I believe voters, regardless of where you are philosophically, they want to know that their elected officials are not selling power. They don't want it done in a partisan way. And I think we've been very clear about this, laying it out. We've said the president you can bring forth any information you want. But I've never seen a government or a White House use agencies in manner that they have since Nixon. I mean, look what they've done now after we uncovered the irs whistleblowers who are not Republican, who came forward, who have been just workers for the government, and they have now told us that when they were going to interview Hunter Biden, like they do most people, they went to the FBI the night before. The FBI told Hunter Biden, so he left when they went to get documents of what he had stored. You've got a person in the DOJ calls Hunter Biden's attorneys ahead of time to warn them to clear out the documents. Then the FBI warns the Inaugural Committee. You don't want to think that people are getting some special treatment. When has the IRS investigated somebody and let the statue of limitations run out? If it gets close, they make you sign a document to extend the statue of limitations so it doesn't All this money he got from Barisma that he didn't report properly, he never got held accountable or had to pay tax on it.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys get to the bottom of it. You know, this is I care. I mean, this is important how our government is potentially being abused or quid pro quos, which it certainly looks like Joe Biden engaged in. You know, I also wanted to get your take on this spending fight right now on Capitol Hill with this September thirtieth deadline approaching. I mean, we know the Department of Justice is corrupt. You know, the border's not secure, DHS is not doing its job. Why continue funding corrupt agencies?
Speaker 1: Well, you don't want to. And the best way you do to change all that is fundamentally do it through passing legislation that controls that. We could put the Holman Act in. We can fund things that are important. We can cut other things out. But if you can't pass the bills on the floor, you have a hard time winning it in the argument overall. The other thing, Okay, say you don't fund it and you go to a government shutdown. You know what happens then the border is wide open. Do you not want to fund the border agents? The other problem that happens too in a government shutdown. You know what still gets funded the prosecutions that are looking into Trump and others that are playing a political game. So the way I look at it is, we want government to function, but we want it to be limited government. We want to be honest, We wanted to be accountable. We need to show them how we can show government can govern that way. That's why we've been moving our appropriation bills We've got to finish that job. I've looked at shutdowns before. If you shut down, you really see the power to the administration. Troops don't get paid, air traffic controllers don't get paid. You become a problem. So why don't you pass the bills and have the policy fights to win it. I think we can win the fight. Look at the mayor of New York about immigration. Their closest border is Canada. But what the Biden administration has done by this wide open border has made every community of border community fittonyl killing American every single day. I mean, we've got the policies on our side. We've passed HR two. We need to take the fight there, not run away from the fight.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to ask you, there's been a lot of conversations, you know, I mean, I guess with the funding, it's you know, if not now, when right? You know, we all talk about these things, but you know, now is the time to stand up with the direction this country is going in because you know, we all we all know that. You know, Joe Biden is weak, you know he's destroyed the country. But you know Donald Trump is facing potentially ninety one you know, criminal charges. So they may have a week hand, but they're trying to criminally convict our potential nominee and send them to jail. You know, how do we win in that environment? And what impact does that have on the down ballot?
Speaker 1: When you look at that that it goes to the obstruction question we have itself. How do you use government to go after the leading candidate to the opposition of you? That's not America. You know what's interesting here is even if they think that the president to go after Trump, how do you do it in a presidential year? You are just playing political games. And if you watch starting in New York, the DA now down in Georgia at the same time, you know it doesn't have merit. It's political play. That part has got to stop. And I don't think anybody in America believes that's right.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with you, but they're going to do it, and so how do we win? I worry that Republicans. You know, there's all this conversation in Joe Biden's week, Joe bid but that's operating like this election cycle is going to be normal, and so, you know, how do we win? You know, Speaker, if that happens.
Speaker 1: Well, the first thing is I never sit back and say I can't win. We've proven it time and again in the last two election cycles. When Republicans lost other places, we won in the House. The interesting thing, we have a five seat majority. I've been leader for four years, and those two election cycles with Nancy Pelosi being the Speaker, I wont five more Republican seats in California. She lost the majority in her home state. We won in New York. You know what, You've got to fight back. They change the election laws in California where everybody gets a ballot and you can harvest it, so you can sit back and say, oh, well, we're going to do the Democrats have the majority, we're going to get and we're going to fight back. If the rules are you can harvest, then you harvest. You stand up for the truth, you defend what is right, and you face them face on and you tell the truth about what is happening. Look, we know we have the House, but a five seat majority. If we don't pass our appropriation bills, we're weaker in the fight ahead. If we want to fight over the border, if we want to fight over financial issues, we want to fight them using the weaponization of government. That's why I created a select committee to go directly after that. Haven't had that before, a Select committee on China, so we can confront with the future challenges we have. You sit and you get in the trenches, and you make the arguments, and you fight, and you will win. You might not win it overnight. Just throwing a tantrum doesn't succeed. We have to have a strategic plan that makes us succeed. At the same time.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you have your eyes open about it. I agree with you on all of those issues. You know, there's been a lot of conversations about age limits for politicians. You know, Joe Biden is eighty and clear mental decline, Diane Feinstein ninety, health issues, Mitch mcconnolly eighty one, health issues. You're only fifty eight, so you're good to go. You're a good shape, Steger McCarthy.
Speaker 1: But I got another decat or two before I could become a senator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your great shape. So you know, but is it time for you know, those guys and gals to step down and to bow out to retire.
Speaker 1: I think it depends on your capacity though, right I've watched people who are younger who have challenges. One thing I say, I think the country as a whole, we did this in the nineteen sixties, where we start electing leaders in the forties and the fifties, right, I think you've got to be able to do the job. And look, I watched the difference between President Trump and President Biden. Trump would only need four hours of sleep every night. That guy was working morning, noon, and night. I've never see anything like it. And to be fair, Nancy Pelosi was eighty two, but she's a hard worker and much different. Biden talks on the open stage that he needs to take a nap. I don't see much happening in the process. So it's the energy of what you're able to do. I let the voters make that decision.
Speaker 2: I wanted to commend you because after the impeachment and Korey went out, the Biden administration instructed the media ramp up your scrutiny of you know, they gave them the marching orders, right, and we saw that exchange between you and the AP reporter. You did such a good job handling it. How do you get the media to cover that honestly?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: You know what's so interesting if you watch the questions the media asked me, based upon the questions they asked then Speaker Pelosi, it's fundamentally different. And I ask back because here we have the White House sending out to the media itself on the orders. It's kind of like media marching orders, right. And you had that a reporter, she had just written a story before that we went forward with impeachment inquiry with no evidence. I simply asked her a few questions that laid out the evidence. I could have gone on longer, and I think every single day I got thirty or forty reporters with every moment I walk out of my building or my office are around me. I'm not afraid. I don't hide, I don't put a lid on the day. But I'm not going to sit back and just have them ask one way. I'm going to question them because what I find time and again, even when it comes to legislation, the only question they have is will I pass it today? They don't ask about the policy inside it. And I think when you have a simple response back inquisiting to them, it refutes all their arguments before that. It proves they're just taking talking points madly from the White House on what they want to ask and they know nothing about what they ask.
Speaker 2: Well, it was perfectly done, so thank you for that. I'd love to have you back on Speaker. I know obviously you've got a busy day life ahead of you, so just want to thank you so much for your time. It's an honor to have you on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I look forward to coming back many times.
Speaker 2: That of course was Kevin McCarthy, Speaker of the House. Honor to have him on the show. That was the first time he's been on as a guest, so really appreciate him taking the time. I appreciate you guys at home for listening every Monday and Thursday, but you can listen throughout the week. What do you think John Cassio, my producer, for putting the show together. Until next time,