Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty This is pretty smart. I'm currently in a New York hotel room. So if you hear any beeping or people yelling, I've tried to record this a few times. There goes another beep. It's just New York people are in a rush. So excuse all the noises. The episode doesn't have them, maybe just the intro, but no that it's real and it's coming from my heart. Okay, So there are a few places as intimidating to me as a kitchen, well, a kitchen and Ikea. When I moved to La ten years ago, I went to Ikea to get some furniture and I got back to my apartment and I was like, Okay, never done this before, but I can do anything I put my mind to. So I watch a few YouTube videos and I try to put this furniture together. I could not do it. I tried again. I tried a different way. I watched more YouTube videos, and I could not figure it out. I ended up having to hire a task rabbit, and that's sort of just how I feel about the kitchen. I don't know where to start, and even the basic stuff I do know how to make, it's just never gonna taste that great when I make it. And I'm very aware that there are world class recipes just a Google search away, and yet I haven't been able to bring myself to want to learn how to cook. And I'm not alone. A twenty eighteen study from Porch found that only five percent of twenty to thirty somethings consider themselves very good at home cooking well. Our Guest Today says it's literally her purpose in life to change that, to teach people how to cook and to feed themselves. Mollie Baz is a former chef turned food personality and truly a star in the world of food. Her new cookbook More is More is aptly named.
Speaker 2: Go for It, taste as you go, keep adding, keep tasting, like no timidity.
Speaker 3: We're not doing like a.
Speaker 2: Little bit of pepper flakes, Like let's taste it, let's learn what our limitations are. And so it's like it's a maximus is maybe not the right word, but like a.
Speaker 4: No fear of failure, no fear of failure.
Speaker 1: That's the energy she brings to the kitchen, but that's also the energy she brings to her life.
Speaker 2: And I worked there for like a year and like cried every day in the back room, but was like, I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna learn everything.
Speaker 1: And that she did. Molly is fierce and I don't use that word lightly. I don't think you've ever heard me use that word on this podcast. After starting her career and fine dining, she took the food fundamentals that made her a great chef and decided to do things her way. She dropped the chef title. She finds it unapproachable.
Speaker 2: Everything I do and my career is this sort of innate fear that we could get to a place where most people don't know how to put like even the simplest meal on the table because it's so easy to get a delicious meal via takeout or Postmates or Uber eat or go out to a restaurant. There's just nothing to me that can replace like the feeling of sitting down like in a actual home, even if it's not as yummy as what you had at that Like Michelin, start whatever it tastes better because like you're so enveloped in like an experience of coziness and warmth and whatever. And so I think that has driven so much of what I do.
Speaker 1: My mom used to say something to me when I was younger, and I think it's at the core of who I am now.
Speaker 4: We would be at the park, she would.
Speaker 1: Say, Danielle, see all of those people on the park benches over there. You can either be on the bench watching people living their lives, or you could be the one living walking around. If you want something, go get it, Go live. And as I was sitting with Mollie, that's what I kept coming back to, If you want it, go get it. I felt like I was sitting with a person who unapologetically went after what she wanted. She made things happen, and food just happened to be her vehicle. So today, through her deep love of food, Mollie is teaching us why leveling up our palate could actually just help us level up our lives. And a little teaser, she drops the one ingredient you need to change your food and your cooking. So, Mollie, you wrote in your book that the word chef makes you cringe in regards to your own title.
Speaker 3: Why I'm just like not a chef anymore. And I was.
Speaker 2: I definitely sel identified as a chef when I was working in restaurants, and then I've spent so much of my like actual adult career honing the skill of learning how to really get in the head space of an amateur cook, like a home cook, that I'm like no longer a chef. I feel like I'm just like a really badass home cook. And the word chef like, obviously I love chefs and I so appreciate what they bring to the world into restaurants, but for me, like it suggests a like buttoned upness that I just don't possess and don't want to because I want to be really relatable to just like your average home cook trying to put a meal on the table.
Speaker 4: How did you come to this?
Speaker 1: Because most people are aspiring to the big title, the big job, and you're like, I'm good with the opposite.
Speaker 2: I had like a real revelation when I got my first job working in food media, like at a food magazine. I had been working in restaurants for so long and was like, I want to branch out. I want to see what this like food media situation is maybe I'll work at a food magazine. And I had a really tough transition actually because I brought like my cheffiness into that space and it was so not the space for it, where like what you're supposed to do is or what like the most successful version of a recipe developer is not one who's like pulling out all the bells and whistles, because your average cook.
Speaker 3: Is like never going to succeed in that way.
Speaker 2: But I've felt like a lot of pride around being a chef, having just like spent years and years in kitchens, and it was very humbling to then go into an environment like the test kitchen that I was working in and have all of these like really talented, incredible cooks that weren't like chefy in the real like restauranty sense, And it really brought me down to earth, and I found a real appreciation for the skill of figuring out how to create truly delicious food that doesn't rely on like seventeen steps and you know, like overnight braises and reductions and micro this and molecular that, and that it's almost harder to put something truly revelatory when you can't rely on all of those things. Yeah, And so I took that as a challenge and kind of rejiggered my relationship to cooking to be one that was like seen through the eyes.
Speaker 3: Of a home cook.
Speaker 1: So in what I do, there's this guy Bob Costas. He's like a famed news anchor sportscaster, and years ago I read that he said the best interviewer's hosts know one hundred percent of the information and use twenty five percent of it on.
Speaker 4: Air, And I thought that was nuts.
Speaker 1: And as I got older and got more comfortable in my skin, I understood what he meant. Yeah, but I'm in such admiration that you recognize that at such a young age. It sounds like you have like a really great sense of self.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an interesting way to put it.
Speaker 2: I think it is like, I know I can do all these things, but I feel like my job here is to like take all of that one hundred percent and distill it down into like the most kind of easily digestible twenty five percent for like the larger population.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's why so many people gravitate towards you. Well, one of the reasons so for some family's food is a really big deal.
Speaker 4: I did not grow up in a food family.
Speaker 3: Neither did I.
Speaker 4: Okay, so how did you come to food?
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I think that like it's a nate like you either like have a palette.
Speaker 3: That is curious or not.
Speaker 2: And I think I was just born with a curious palette for starters. But it was really not until I was like out on my home, living outside of my family home, on my own, feeding myself, and then studying abroad and being exposed to food outside of what I had known my whole life that like kind of my world opened up and I was like, oh my god, what is cooking? This is insane. There's like such a crazy breadth of flavor and ways that food shows up in the world. And I think I'd just been a little bit sheltered, isn't the world isn't the word, but just sort of in my own space, in my own comfort zone with.
Speaker 3: The food I grew up with, which was like totally fine and not exceptional. Sorry Mom, sorry Dad. And then I just like got out.
Speaker 2: In the world and was like, oh, this is sick, Like there's so much to explore.
Speaker 1: Do you have friends at college that had a different palette. Like I remember the first time a friend showed me sushi, Like we didn't eat sushi in my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely surrounded myself with people who were like also, Like my best friend in college was like obsessed with food also, and we actually, kind of embarrassingly now as we look back on it, had a supper club in college where we would like turn our living room into a dining room and like our other best friend was the waitress and she would like check you in at the door.
Speaker 3: That's so cool. We would make like four course meals.
Speaker 2: So we were very I was very exploratory during college, studied abroad, ate a lot, learned a lot, and then as soon as I left college and graduated, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, Okay, this is it.
Speaker 2: I'm doing it for my career and my degrees in art history, which has actually served me so well. I think just because like what I do now is so much more than just food, and it's like a brand and it's really visual and I show up in the world beyond just what's on the plate. And so having gone to school for something visual, like really I think informs all of that. My mom had some roles, but I was a pretty good girl. I would say I likes not go out of the house once and it was a major drama, but beyond that, like I was pretty good, so I didn't break the roles. My brother, on the other hand, was like always breaking them, so like relative to him, I just looked like an angel.
Speaker 1: You mentioned a curious palette. I'd never heard that term before. Yeah, I really like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I don't know if it's like a personality thing or a palette thing, or like maybe where they intersect, But I think it has to do with like trying something new and then being like curious enough to like ask or find out more about it or want to like explore it or have it another time, and not just like have the experience end right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you feel like you happened a curious palette?
Speaker 1: So I've noticed that when I date people who have curious palettes, mine becomes more curious, and I'm really grateful for that.
Speaker 4: Like I never I looked at food as fuel previously.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the opposite, Yeah no, but now I look at it differently, and I'm so interested and I think it's it's an art and a science.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 4: So how can somebody refine their palette? Like, is it just by eating out at restaurants?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: What do you think it is?
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 2: It's about paying attention and so it's so easy to move about the day, the week, the month, the year just eating and not really like stepping back and taking kind of clocking what's actually going into your body and thinking about how it tastes and like what it reminds you of and is it some to this and like how did the texture improve or take away from the dish. It's about self reflection and like in the same way that it's important to spend time with yourself, just being with yourself, thinking about yourself. You know, mental health is so important. Like I feel like eating can be that as well, and so many people just like rush right through it to get like through the meal or to the next thing. And I feel like developing a palette is like slowing down and like thinking about what you're eating.
Speaker 1: That's so well said, Thank you. I think when I started thinking of food as art as nourishment, Yeah, that like the self care aspect of food is really big, because when you talked about making your own food. In college, I hear like a sense of pride, like I know how to feed myself.
Speaker 4: Totally I didn't know how to feed myself either.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think one thing that has really fueled like everything I do and my career is this sort of innate fear that I have about our my generation or just sort of world we live in, that we could get to a place where most people don't know how to put like even the simplest meal on the table because it's so easy to get a delicious meal via takeout or Postmates or Uber Eat or go out to a restaurant, which by all means like we need to keep those afloat, and restaurants are such.
Speaker 3: An important part of my life.
Speaker 2: But I worry that like modern conveniences will make home cooking kind of obsolete and there's just nothing to me that can replace like the feeling of sitting down like in a actual home and not a restaurant that's meant to look like a home, and eating whether it's something that you cooked or a family member, like even if it's not as yummy as what you had at that like Michelin, start whatever it tastes better because like You're so enveloped in like an experience of coziness and warmth and whatever, and so I think that has driven so much of what I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the idea of food as love, and I think that's what you're talking about, and.
Speaker 3: Like we could lose that and that would be a bummer.
Speaker 4: You seem like a trial by fire person to me.
Speaker 1: I was laughing when I was listening to a lot of your podcasts because people are asking you these like very chefy questions and You're like, well, I worked in a kitchen and.
Speaker 4: It was insane. Yeah, and so I was like, yeah, I'm out.
Speaker 1: And then you just went on to this sort of job that felt like you had sort of dreamed about it even before you knew it existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely someone who's like open to exploring things. So I think when I realized that I had a passion for food and wanted to make a career of it, I was like, well, I have to learn how to cook, because I'm going to have like no credibility in this world if I don't learn how to cook. So I was like, fuck it, I'm going to go work in a restaurant. I have no idea what I'm doing. I honestly to this day, don't know why I got hired because in retrospect, like I was a total mess. I remember the first time that I, like day one, working the line in a restaurant. The chef must have seen something in me I don't know, and he was like I was like shadowing the line, cook on the line, and he was like, hey, Molly, pick up the chicken. And I was like okay, okay. And I opened up the oven and there was like a chicken roasting in the oven in a skillet at four hundred and fifty degrees and I was like I don't what, where's the Like I don't have an oven mit? Like could someone get me an oven mitt? And they just like looked at me like we don't use oven mits and kitchens. We use like side towels and rags, and like I didn't know. I didn't even know what to do. I was like, how do I get the chicken out of the oven?
Speaker 3: Like I'm gonna burn myself.
Speaker 4: It was like this at the Boston restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the Beigonhelby Strow and someone passed me a side towel. She was like a dish towel, and I was like, okay, got it, like keep side towels onto you. It's like I was a mess, but I knew that being put into that environment would teach me like so much faster than I then, like going to a cooking school and having like a formal but like slower education.
Speaker 3: And I think I'm kind of like a let's get to the point kind of person.
Speaker 1: So after the Beacon Hill Bistro, you went on to a Brooklyn restaurant that was like high end food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did Beacon Hill Bistro too. Then I went into fine dining in Manhattan. So I went to this restaurant called piachelin Ooh and that was like very like fourteen course tasting menu, super like French brigade system kitchen, like very classic what you expect when you think about like a Gnarley kitchen. And I worked there for like a year and like cried every day in the bathroom.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna learn everything.
Speaker 4: Everyone has a cry every day at Yorks Story, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was mine.
Speaker 2: And I was like treated like absolute shit but had to wear with all to be like this isn't forever, like I'm learning so much. And then I went to Brooklyn and I worked at this like British gastro pub for a year, and then I worked at this restaurant called The Glassary, which I don't know if you've been to Kismet here, but the same chef Sarah and Sarah who opened ran the restaurant were the chefs of the restaurant in Brooklyn that I last worked at.
Speaker 1: So I heard you talk about this because you said it was the first time you worked for a woman.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it was a completely different experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like way more sensitive and emotional and like harder and better all at the same time. Why harder harder, Because like I felt like other like there was a lot of women in the kitchen. It was like pretty much all women. I was like scared to hurt feelings, and feelings got hurt. And you know, a restaurant is like such an intense, high stress environment that it's like easy for things to snap and like miscommunications to happen and people to feel unsupported, and so it was like emotionally challenging. And then also like felt so good to be able to like be a woman in a restaurant and like not have to hide the fact that you like have emotions and are sensitive and like your feelings might get hurt if like someone doesn't hold you down on prep.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, so it was a bit of both.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like now that you work for yourself, you get to be who you fully are?
Speaker 2: And that's the greatest like joy I have every day is like I feel like I have people around me who celebrate me, and that's why they're around me because I'm like I feel I feel seen by the people I work with and really supported.
Speaker 3: And like I can be.
Speaker 2: Like vulnerable with them and like disappointed in things and not feel like I'm being like a Debbie Downer. And I can also be like kind of a dumb ass when I need to and I'm not being judged. And when when it's like when I run the show and I'm choosing who those people are that like make me feel safe and good, that feels really incredible. You Know.
Speaker 1: There's this guy Matt Higgins who I had on the podcast. He's in like the VC World, and he was a guest on Shark Tank and he said when he was looking for a life partner, it was the same as when he was looking for employees, and it was like people.
Speaker 3: Will say, oh, like VC energy, but I liked what he said.
Speaker 1: He said that everybody will tell you like, find somebody who like really brings you down to earth, who keeps you grounded as yourself. And he was like, the whole world keeps me grounded. I want someone who can show me I can fly. And I was like, yes, that.
Speaker 3: Energy, Oh my god, that one hundred.
Speaker 4: And it's the same with people you work with totally.
Speaker 2: My agent and my manager both are that, like that's awesome. My agent is a woman named Nicole, my manager Ben, and they like will do anything for me and like I know how deeply they love me and feel me and like know who I am in the world and can.
Speaker 3: Help me navigate it.
Speaker 2: When I'm like, this is the first time I'm ever doing X, Y or Z. Yeah, I feel like they do exactly that for me.
Speaker 1: Speaking of first times, you work at these restaurants and then all of a sudden you start doing work at bon Apetite, and I love the story you tell because you were like I worked there like one day a week, and I.
Speaker 4: Thought that was it, Like I had it.
Speaker 2: I was actually working at Epicurious, which is like the sister company, so it's like the digital sister brand to Bone Apetite, but it was right next door on the same floor as Boneaptite, and I was like, Okay, I'm going to get in here, and I recipe tested like once a week, and I would just like sneak into the Bone Appetite test kitchen, which just had these like big windows on the world downtown in New York, and I definitely think that and I guess this is something that's good about me. Like I felt so proud of myself for having even gotten in the door there that I was like, I'm peeking, Like this is as high as I can possibly go. I'm working for like a major food publication. It was Epicurious. But then I started working like little by little for BA but being a recipe tester, which means like I wasn't doing anything actually creative. I was helping just test other people's recipes and making sure that they like function properly. But no one was saying, like, Mollie, what do you want to cook at all? And then I started food styling for them, and it was the same thing. It was like making other people's food look good. But still I was like, oh my god, I've made it, have made it, have made it. And then just like kind of kept getting better. And then at one point they were like, do you want to develop a recipe? And I was like yeah, And then from there it was do you want to just like maybe try being on camera. You can like shoot a video and we'll see how it goes. And it just like I just I had died and gone to heaven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you just you set your sights on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had.
Speaker 2: That is one thing that people say, or like my my best friend Rachel always says, she's like you are a manifestor like you know what you want and like you say it and then like you've manifested. And it doesn't mean that you're like forcing through trudging through things, but like for whatever reason, like the energy you put in the world, like manifest the things that you want. And so I feel like it kind of manifested that whole job for myself. I also like asked for the job, right, but you got to do a lot of manifesting.
Speaker 4: Also, how did you manifest the next phase?
Speaker 3: So like the cookbook and like going on into my own phase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you leave BA and you've never worked for yourself before, and kitchens are very structured places, do not be late, show up at this time, and like everything is kind.
Speaker 4: Of there for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Honestly, I think I wouldn't have been able to manifest this second phase of my career where I am my own boss if I hadn't been given the votal confidence from my cookbook publisher initially, Like I got an email out of the blue from them when they were first interested in working together, and it was like the dream email to receive. That was like I saw the Penguin Random House, like as the at Penguin Random House dot com, and it was like from this woman Jen.
Speaker 3: I didn't know who Jen was at the time.
Speaker 2: She's now my editor, but I just remembered being like, oh my god, like I've I have died and gone to heaven.
Speaker 3: I got the email from like the publishing house.
Speaker 4: And they reached out to you.
Speaker 2: They reach out to me because they had seen me on camera at FT and they probably were like, it's a rising.
Speaker 1: Star energy, but it's very different energy when you reach out to them versus when they reach out to you.
Speaker 2: Totally different and so That's what I mean that, like they really gave me the confidence to like look at myself in a different way. So to this point, I had been so like kind of at the service of the company I was working for and still sort of in disbelief that I'd even gotten as far as I had in my career, and certainly didn't think that anyone was going to be like and now like, let's it's the Molly Show.
Speaker 3: What cookbooks do you want to write?
Speaker 2: And so when I, after many conversations with them, finally got my first book deal that was just going to be like the Mollibas Cookbook, I think that was like a really pivotal shift in the way I perceived myself and my value to the world and my ability to like create something entirely my own that no one else was helping like curate for me. Like all of the work I did at bone Ft Magazine was like to develop recipes for a specific story that the magazine wanted to tell, And now I had this chance to write a book that was just like what story and food do I want to tell? Or like what do I feel like the world needs to learn about cooking just from my perspective period like nothing beyond that, and that I feel like was the moment.
Speaker 4: And you worked with designers who had never done cookbook layouts before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why did you make that choice both times? Actually?
Speaker 2: So for my first book, yeah, I hired a French design team called Villenimi and then this second time around with this book, play Lab, which is an agency creative agency here in LA And I was very intentional about that because and kind of with everything I do, I'm like, I don't want to look like the spinning image of a cookbook or recipe developer or like chef or whatever it is that like people might call me. I want to do it like my way, in a way that feels unique. And I felt like hiring a design team that had done a million cookbooks before, they would have this idea of what a cookbook is supposed to look like and how a recipe is supposed to be laid out, and I was like, I don't want anyone to come in with preconceived notions about that. I want to like rethink it all. And I feel like as a result, the book, like both of them look you know, the insides look like cookbooks and on the outside They're like.
Speaker 3: Is it a cookbook? Is it an art book?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What is it? And I like that sort of ambiguity.
Speaker 4: Do you miss the adrenaline of working in a kitchen at all?
Speaker 2: Yes, big time? Like that's definitely the biggest loss. I think, do you get it elsewhere? Are you skydiving? What's at all? Not really Like I'm like running on the treadmill and being like, way to go, But like I don't have it baked into my life in the same way.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Honestly can't think when the last time I had like an adrenaline rush akin to getting through service.
Speaker 4: The steaks are so high.
Speaker 1: I was a waitress at an Italian restaurant and it was a Friday night, which is busy. Yeah, and somebody ordered like the broiled chicken and I forgot to put it in. And that's like a forty five minute wait if you don't put the chicken in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I still to this day I feel PTSD. Yeah, that sort of host I haven't felt in any other career, Like the kitchens are insane, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think, like and it's like the bad comes with the good, Like the good part of that is like it's exhilarating, and you like experience like a whole roller coaster of emotions every day you go to work, which is like no better way to feel alive, and then also.
Speaker 3: Like it's terrible, no better way to have a hard Yeah, like the.
Speaker 2: The bads are really bad, you know. And so now like things are mellow ish in my kitchen.
Speaker 1: If you're just tuning in, let me catch you up. So a month ago, I was traveling a lot and really not feeling my healthiest, and then I found Green Chef online and signed up for their meal kits. They're clean, easy, delivered right to my door, and now I understand why they're ranked the number one meal kit for eating clean. So Green Chef believes in making healthy eating easy for everyone. Whether you follow Keto, Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, or you just want balanced meals, Green Chef has you covered with a range of recipes to suit your preferences. I personally chose their balanced meal plan because I just like a little bit of everything. They offer over fifty weekly menu items, so you get to discover exciting new flavors that support your healthy lifestyle and they're really yummy. Plus they've got you covered for quick and convenient lunches with their ten minute low prep options. If you're at the office or press for time, I mean you all know by now I'm a low prep girl. What I think really sets Green chef apart, though, is their commitment to clean ingredients. Their nutritionous approved recipes feature food without artificial colors, sweeteners, high fruitose, corn syrup, and limited added sugar or processed ingredients. So you'll find lean proteins like turkeys, sakay, salmon, tilapia, scallops, and shrimp, along with certified organic fruits and veggies, farm fresh ingredients like tart, cherries, truffle, zest, and rainbow carrots, organic cage free eggs, and whole grain options. Here's the best part. Green Chef is not just about great food. They are the only meal kit that is both carbon and plastic offset. They offset one hundred percent of their delivery emissions and one hundred percent of the plastic in every box. They are truly sustainable. So go to green chef dot com slash pretty Smart fifty and use code pretty Smart fifty to get fifty percent off plus free shipping. Green chef dot com slash pretty smart fifty and use code pretty Smart fifty to get fifty percent off plus free shipping the number one meal kit for eating Well. I'm fascinated by this concept, and I'm so curious about your pulse on this. It seems like so much of your career has come from just a place of yes. How do you now at this stage determine when you say yes versus when you say no?
Speaker 3: Very easily?
Speaker 2: And I think I figured this out kind of right when I was building this second chapter of my life, which is my career.
Speaker 3: On my own out I have outlined for myself what sort of my purpose is here as far as what like I want to.
Speaker 2: Do and accomplish in my career, And the purpose is I want to teach people how to cook. I want to make it easier for people to eat deliciously in the comfort of their own homes. And I want people to like find the joy in it where it can otherwise be stressful. And so as opportunities come my way, they're all basically filtered through that lens of like, am I getting closer to my goal? Like am I landing one more meal on somebody's table? And so if that's through starting a recipe club, knowing that like I'm disseminating my recipes out.
Speaker 3: Into the world, taking cookbook deals.
Speaker 2: Starting a wine company because I'm like, I want people to be able to drink delicious wine. All of all of the opportunities that are coming my way get filtered through that system, and it's like then very easy to be like, you know.
Speaker 4: I really like that.
Speaker 1: So do you ever like you'll have an opportunity come your way and then look at your purpose like read it on your computer and say one hundred.
Speaker 2: I mean it's in my head because I know it so well. But my manager also like very much knows that. That's sort of the north star, and so it's a conversation that we're constantly happening.
Speaker 4: Does the purpose ever evolve for you? Or is it pretty It's.
Speaker 3: Been the same.
Speaker 2: It's always been that, and you know, like it can kind of take on different forms. Like there's a very literal way to interpret it, which is like did I deliver a recipe to someone? And then there's like did I deliver on the like experience of creating joy around eating cooking, making it less stressful, making it more fun, less serious, more casual. That's sort of like the broader goal and objective and a lot of things will filter into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said it's exhausting to work for yourself, but you've also said that you've never felt burnout like when you were in a kitchen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where do you stand now?
Speaker 2: I feel momentary, fleeting moments of burnout yea, Like right now, I am like pretty close, to be honest, I'm like gearing up for my book tour, which is happening in like three weeks, and looking at my schedule like kind of gives me hives because there's just like so many asks from so many people, but it's all also such incredible opportunity and I'm like so excited to do every single one of them that I take so much.
Speaker 4: On burnout and the term burnout a lot, But exhaustion on your own terms is better than exhaustion on someone else's.
Speaker 2: Term, totally, And I think I know I have a pretty good sense of like where my limits are and can manage, like even though my schedule is like totally bonkers right now, and like for most people, it would just be like absurd to even like entertain the idea of taking another photo shoot next week, which I'm going to do. I can feel when I'm like gonna snap, and I never let it get there.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so I say yes to a lot.
Speaker 2: Of things, but I'm so invigorated by what I do that like that oftentimes really outweighs any like sense of burnout.
Speaker 4: How do you balance it with a partner?
Speaker 1: And I'm going to use the word nourishment because we're talking about food, but like you're nourishing your business, you're nourishing yourself at a moment of exhaustion. Like I know being a wife is really important to you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad you brought it up because in our conversation yesterday you were asking, like what's a failure or what's something that you failed at? And what I came up with involves this exactly, Like I really oftentimes put my career in all of the chaos and moving parts of it first and to the detriment of like my family life. And that could be like whether it be with regards to my partner, or like staying in touch with my parents on the other side of the country, or making time for friends that I haven't seen or talked to me a long time, Like the pace of life feels so fast to me right now, and I'm really really working on slowing that down and finding balance.
Speaker 3: I started working.
Speaker 2: With a life coach recently who has like totally kind of shifted the paradigm for me and helped me realize that like sprinting to the finish line isn't the most graceful way to go about building something as big as I want to build, and that there is something to be said for slowing it down and like relishing in every moment of it a bit more so that it doesn't just like whiz by you and in doing so, allow you to make space and time for people who, like you, would regret so deeply having not made time for if you got to the other end and look back and were like, oh shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so that's something that has troubled me in the past, because it's so hard to slow down when there's so much momentum and that I'm like constantly working on.
Speaker 4: I think that I resonate with that so deeply.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I appreciate your honesty. Yeah, Yeah, it's exhausting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Your first cookbook is called cook this book, so it's all about essentials. Yeah, and you say you simply need to set yourself up for success in the kitchen in order to truly enjoy it totally.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be really honest with you right now.
Speaker 1: Not only do I feel totally inept in the kitchen, but I do not enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Okay, why don't you enjoy it?
Speaker 4: Part of it is that I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: The other part is I live in like a one bedroom apartment in West Hollywood, so my kitchen's a little like, yeah, it's hard to move around. Yeah, and similar to what you said, it's so easy to order sweet greens and have a delicious meal. Yeah, I'm nervous. I'm gonna have kids one day and not know how to feed them.
Speaker 3: I'm nervous for you too. That's literally like why I'm here. I know, like I'm nervous for people like us.
Speaker 2: This is sort of like what my whole philosophy boils down to, which is that if it's not fun, you're never going to pick it up and do it.
Speaker 3: It's going to be the last thing that you want to do.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna find a million reasons why tonight is not the night to cook a meal and So my whole sort of like theory on cooking is that, like it is my job to break down the barriers to entry for someone like you, to deliver a meal that can be made in a kitchen with like sizing constraints and that doesn't use like seven hundred pots and pants, that you're not like super annoyed that you have to do all the dishes afterwards, and to deliver the message of it and the language around it and the direction in a way that is like lighthearted and playful and like uses goofy words so that I can signal to you that, like it's just not that deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not that serious.
Speaker 4: And I don't have to google the words you're using totally.
Speaker 2: They're colloquial, and I think that's like the ticket to enjoying it.
Speaker 4: And so, so More is More, which is your new cookbook?
Speaker 3: Will you grab it?
Speaker 4: Because it's so pretty? I want to show everybody, Yeah, Okay, More is More.
Speaker 1: Yeah this is really well designed, and I love the red Okay, but if I pick up More is More, you're saying, I can sift through it and like go to the grocery store and I could do this.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent so this book was made with like every average national grocery store in mind, so like it's not going to call for something that you're going to special order online, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: This looks so good, so good.
Speaker 2: A piece of fish, some potatoes, some lemons, some parsley, some walnuts.
Speaker 1: I love how you mix cultures too. Yeah, like I see some Asian fusion here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I pull from like all of my eating experiences. I feel like the other thing is that this little guy, his name is Leroy the Lemon, I named him, and he signifies a recipe that's like super quick, so when it's a cleat cook, yeah, so like this one probably takes fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's your homeide. And so there are like little things throughout the book that helps you through it.
Speaker 1: So part of me feels like you're such a less is more person, So why title it more is More?
Speaker 2: My feeling is that sort of what sets apart a really amateur novice cook from a professional one is this ability, yeah you from me, is this ability to sort of like take control of your kitchen and just like go for it and like throw in some herbs and squeeze some lemon juice in there and season with your hands and lose the measuring spoons and that it's like a more is more mentality of like go for it, taste as you go, keep adding, keep tasting, like no timidity, not we're not doing like a little bit of pepper flakes, Like let's taste it. Let's learn what our limitations are. And so it's like it's a maximus is maybe not the right word, but like.
Speaker 4: A no fear of failure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's being fearless.
Speaker 2: It's being confident in yourself and knowing that like you are going to fuck it up occasionally, but like you're gonna learn so much from that mistake that it will pay off in the long run because you'll never do that again and you'll like learn something about it. And so it's just like it's about like just like going the extra mile.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I know you always carry a tiny tin of mouth is it mouthed malden, Yeah, mold and flaky sea salt in your bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I saw your tattoo and it's also indicates the salt of salt.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: I think for me, the maybe first thing that any cook needs to learn how to do is season properly. Food does not taste like or ingredients do not taste like themselves until they are seasoned.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, like.
Speaker 2: A boiled potato can be a totally glorious thing on its own if the water has been properly seasoned, and if it hasn't, it just tastes like starch, like chalky axi starch, with like nothing pulling out. It's like very natural, innate essence. And so for me, it's not like I like salty food. It's like I want everyone to taste food the way it's like meant to be tasted, and salt brings those inherent flavors out.
Speaker 3: It's a multiplier of flavor.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you did a podcast all about sandwiches, Yeah, which the whole podcast is about sandwiches.
Speaker 1: So I that's the one thing I can make. Can you build me the perfect sandwich.
Speaker 2: Right here on the spodcast? Yeah, I certainly can. So. So I think like the the glory of a great sandwich is a balance of like texture, fattiness, saltiness, and acid. And so there's a reason that the like Italian hogi is sort of like an iconic sub and there's a recipe in this book.
Speaker 3: For my version of it, you almost flipped right to it. Oh perfect, it's spread.
Speaker 4: Okay, wait, build me this sandwich.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 2: So we've got like a crusty sesame loaf that has like some gives so that when you bite down into it, it does all the innerds don't explode out.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Then we have our fattiness in the form of all these cured meats, and those are also where the saltiness comes in because they're cured and they're salty. And then we've got crunchiness in the form of shredded iceberg and jardinera and like pickley things that have crunch and texture to them. And then that's where all of the acid is happening as well. So there's like the jardinera is like a pickle brine, and then it's tossed with red wine vinegar.
Speaker 3: And then I have.
Speaker 2: Added Calabrian chili here because I like spicy sandwiches. But that's like how you build a like holistically balanced sandwich.
Speaker 1: I would have never thought that you're supposed to stack it in a certain way for crunch and all of that.
Speaker 4: That's very cool to.
Speaker 2: The architecture of a sandwich is just as important as what's in it, because like the eating experience can be ruined. Like in a really like simplified example of this is like when you get a burger and instead of the burger sitting on the tomato, it's sitting right on the lettuce, and by the time you eat it, the lettuce is hot and wilted, and you're like, why is the lettuce even here? Like it's not doing its job. But if you put a tomato in between the patty and the lettuce, it's a barrier and the lettuce days crisp.
Speaker 4: So like architecture, okay, anywhere in the world, what is what is your favorite restaurant to eat at?
Speaker 2: The place I dream of and like we'll go back to every time I am. There is called Ches George and it's in Paris, and it's a really really old school steakhouse and it's really boisterous and it's like a tiny, little long corridor of a restaurant, like you can barely make your way through the line of tables and then you get sat in a booth and the man who runs the restaurant comes over and he like carts over a table side cart of pete and riettes and pickles and bread and butter, and he just like takes a big scoop out of it and just like slops it onto your plate. And it's just like the most visceral eating experience. And I already love Paris, like even if that restaurant didn't exist.
Speaker 3: So to me, that is like the one.
Speaker 4: I love your vocabulary. The way you describe things. I feel like I'm there with you. Oh okay, rapid fire. Yeah, for Molly's More is more.
Speaker 1: Food is about flavors and recipes and culture and memories, And to me, I think so much is about nourishment. Like I said, how are you nourishing yourself right now? Especially in this busy season.
Speaker 2: I am getting massages and I am putting calendar invites on my calendar with my husband to do like seven to ten minute walks around our property, which is so crazy that we have to, but like stepping out of the headspace and going for a walk outside and like leaving the phones behind is everything I need to.
Speaker 4: Reset in seven to ten minutes, We'll do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: Can you beat Bobby Flay?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I've never tried.
Speaker 4: Yes, if I don't know what wine to order, what's like a basic thing I can ask for.
Speaker 2: I would say that the best way to approach, like going into a restaurant and a wineless that you're just like I don't even know, is to ask the waitress, like give them your use the vocabulary.
Speaker 3: That you have available to you.
Speaker 2: And it's like, are you in the mood for something like strong and bold and like in your face or are you feeling like light and ethereal and like use other words to describe what you're looking for and let the somlier guide you towards a wine that like embodies that characteristic.
Speaker 1: That's great. What's a book that you've read that changed your life? Something you think everybody should read?
Speaker 3: Pretty much every of Ruth Reichel's books.
Speaker 2: She's been an idol for a really long time, and growing up I read all of her memoirs and just like got lost in the way that she describes food. It's just like, interesting that you said your vocabulary, because the way that Ruth Reischel describes the experience of eating is unlike anyone I've ever met, and so like for someone who's so curious about it. All of her novels are just like incredibly compelling.
Speaker 1: Will you grab the card game right behind you? Okay, so open it up. Choose a card that feels right to you, Just any card. What's this one that's the explainer?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, okay, should read it up?
Speaker 4: Yeah please?
Speaker 2: What is your earliest memory slash example of what success looked like? How did that impact you? Well?
Speaker 1: You got it?
Speaker 3: Deep one, very deep. Okay.
Speaker 2: This may not involve success as much as it does like self assuredness and sense of self. But my brother growing up was like constantly reinventing himself and had like so many what we just like would call phases of like the way he kind of like held himself.
Speaker 3: In the world and the way he dressed.
Speaker 2: And I think that it like instilled in me the realization that like you are never you're you are one person that has like a million different.
Speaker 3: Evolutions over the course of.
Speaker 2: Your life, and that you can kind of continually reinvent yourself and it's not just like you're not stuck as like you in your time and so like, while that's not like career success or financial success, I think that's like to me a really successful sense of self or like way of seeing yourself in the world to say, goot out to my brother Adam.
Speaker 4: That is really nice. Is he in New York?
Speaker 3: No, he's in La. He's the best.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question, what is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 2: To move to La which happened accidentally. I'm a generally very happy person, like I can find comforts and joys wherever I am, but it wasn't until I moved here that I really felt like I found my place. And I feel like joy, environmental joy every day of my life. And it feels like it has opened up so much in my life, like so many new friendships and connections and work pursuits and opportunities, and it just like I feel like I pulled the curtain back.
Speaker 4: So many people don't feel that when they moved to LA.
Speaker 2: I know, I think I'm always trying to convince people like it's really great, I swear, but I'm just like, that's my experience.
Speaker 1: I felt that way too. No, Yeah, I landed here. I didn't know anybody, and I was like, yeah, this is my place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we found our place.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is, Today's a good day to have a good day. I'll see you next week.