Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jurel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panha, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: All Right, welcome man, What driving Nick great? Episode two twenty four A ton to do Today? The NFL officially changed it's kickoff rule. I'm actually fascinated by that. I think it's a good change. We do need to get into the gambling scan doles now plural encircling our sports leagues. Also, since you've last seen me, I had surgery on my arm. I have a steel plate there, so that's why you see this rat. But otherwise I'm doing great. Before we get to any of that, though, this is not a sports topic.
Speaker 3: This is just a.
Speaker 2: My thoughts on something that just happened so overnight. If you haven't seen it, a ship crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore and the bridge collapsed, and obviously thoughts and if you're the prayerful type, prayers with the missing people and with anyone in the moment directly impacted. But the reason I'm starting the show with that is that will be one of the three, maybe one of the two, single biggest things to happen in this country this year. I don't think people have fully yet. It just happened hours ago, wrapped their minds around what that bridge in that port city being destroyed by a ship gone awry means. But what it means for people's livelihoods, what it means for commerce, what it means for trade, what it means for a city that couldn't really take many more body blows. What it means for their economy is right now almost unfathomable. And so I don't want to start the show off on a down note.
Speaker 3: But this is.
Speaker 2: A type of worldwide event that I don't know if And again, it just happened overnight, so a lot of you guys are probably just finding out about it right now. But the impact of it and the import of that is almost impossible to overstate. So if you have friends, family, loved ones, anyone, obviously you're checking on them to make sure they're safe. If they're in the Baltimore area, make sure they weren't on the bridge, anything like that. But furthermore, if you have anyone that works in Baltimore, check on them because their lives are about to be turned upside down in for not a short period of time. And so I know that's an odd way to start the show, but I really believe it's one of the most significant events that happen in this country in at least a year, and it's you know, I don't want to say it's nobody's fault. We don't know what happened. It looks like the the you know, I'm not a shipping expert, but a ship from Singapore lost control and ran into the bridge. And so there's that. It is an odd way to start the show. I admit we will do a very very harsh tone shift in about twenty seconds to the regular show. But it is a very very significant event for the entire world, particularly for the United States, and for the good people of Baltimore. Okay, now to the Official Sports Show. I know it's an awkward transition, but I'm all right with that. Here's what did not make the cut the mizz offering to trade and Jason Kelcey and WWE. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Patrick Mahomes evidently lost a bet, so he had to dress up like a cow. I don't really care about that either. And now, speaking of things I don't care about, we have our demand was wearing these sunglasses if you're watching on YouTube, as a gag. When I sat down to see him in the chair in LA and I thought they looked so good on him. You know, I decided to use my fifty one percent voting power of the show and mandated that he not only wear those shades today, but that might just be his look moving forward. So give us those thoughts in the comments. So you're now seeing Demanse Demanse. The producers also want me to talk about the Bachelorette, which I understand is wildly popular but I know nothing about. So go ahead, we're having a con. Well this is okay. So this is the NFL Coaches photo, which is not the bachelorette.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing about the NFL coaches photo. If you're watching on YouTube, there are people most know. There's my guy, Andy Reid looking as glorious as ever. Is that Dave Canalis next to him? I know it's.
Speaker 4: I think we're about to run through a quick little quiz for you. So I think you got the first one obviously, before.
Speaker 2: We move on to anymore. I was gonna say, yeah, so it goes John Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh, Andy Reid, I think Dave Canalis, and then best I can tell that guy next to Dave Canalis is producer Matt Fully and shout out to him for getting in the picture. But I don't know who that is. All right, go ahead there you, oh Matts in both places. I don't know what else we have. We can go through it quickly because I know for the audio listeners this probably isn't really popular for them because they can't see what we're doing. I don't know who that is. I cannot I cannot identify.
Speaker 3: That's Brian call.
Speaker 2: Oh, Brian Callian. Okay, he just got his first head coaching job. Shout out Brian Callahan. All right, next, well he's sitting next to Mike McDaniel. I'm not good at this, and this is not my bit, guys, this is Kyle Branton p f T commenter's bit. Just tell me who they are. I don't think this is good content. Mike McDonald, Mike McDonald, Oh, the Ravens decordinator. And who's the guy on the other side of him, Zach t the other yellow circle, that's Zach Taylor. Glow up, Zach Taylor. Good for him. I should have known that, you know what. It's kind of a grainy photo. But I'm not good at things like that. I'm not good at like remembering players' numbers. I'm not remember good at remembering coaches faces. Okay, now to the actual show. So I'm just gonna take this from here before we get to some of the other topics. Because last week we said, demanse we were gonna wait and hold off on the Otani story until more news came out, and I'm glad we did. And then as the Otani story, Otani finally talks, and we'll get into that. There's a John tay Porter story, and you might say it was John tay Porter and he's the brother of Michael porter junior. He was a big time recruit from Missou who never really got his career off the ground because of injuries. He's on a two way contract and there are very suspicious betting patterns involving his player, props and games. He left early with injury or ailment. I want to start with Otani, and I'm going to start in a place that I don't think anyone else has started or discussed. But to me it is the most obvious, which is this. The Otani story can be about gambling in the micro, in the macro. To me, what it is about is this. You can't, in any walk of life, whether it be the United Nations, international communication or the world's greatest baseball player, have just one factor, authentication on your interpreter. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I mean this adamantly. Every time I read anything about the Otani story, what comes to mind is got to have two interpreters. The idea that you would ever be totally reliant on one other person in all communications, in all business dealings, financial dealings, everything to one guy. Of Course, that guy is susceptible to corruption. Of course you're susceptible to get and robbed. You gotta you gotta go too, interpreters. And I'm not blaming Otani for this, because it seems like the solo interpreter is what everyone always does, but that has always struck me as perilous. If the interpreter has his own uh ulterior motives or dishonesty or whatever, it doesn't have to be a gambling problem allegedly. It could be anything. It could be you know what, I'm mad at the guy I work for. I want him to look like a jerk in the media. It could be I don't like that reporter. I don't want his actual smart question to be perceived as a smart question to I can't imagine I really empathize with Otani or with anyone that has to do business dealings or real communication through an interpreter, because you've got to feel a little powerless. And because of that, and the reason I'm starting there, it is because of that that I tend to believe Otani. So here's what I mean, And this is the angle that I don't think enough people have looked at it from. If every single interaction you have with your employer, with your teammates, with your sponsors is run through another individual who is literally translating that obviously is the person you trust more than any person in the world. That obviously is a person who would have access to your bank accounts. That obviously is a person you would implicitly believe it. And so like, who would be the easiest person in the world for me to scam? The answer is Demanse or my wife or Diora, not because they're dumb, but because they that we operate from a place of like implicit trust. If Demanse called me and was you know what I mean, as he did actually a few months ago, was like, hey, what's your recommendations on how I file taxes? Like that conversation starts from a place of this person will only ever give me good advice, will only ever, or even if it's not good advice, give me their what they think is good advice, and will only ever have my best interests at heart. And so if in that moment I was like, oh boy, I got upside down in some investments. My credit's wrecked and I need to start fresh. I'm gonna rip off Demons's credit, he would it would he would be the easiest mark in the world because of our relationship. So if if Otani relies on this guy for everything, then of course this guy could rip him off for millions of dollars. And so that is then where I actually, when it comes to the Otani part of this, have more of an issue with the Dodgers, and so this is a paragraph from the Athletic that I think is the most intriguing part of the story. Also, a quote also under scrutiny is how the Dodgers and Otani's representatives entrusted Missihara, who's the interpreter, entrusted Missahara enough to have him be the lone point person to Otani while they knew Missahara was the subject of this line of questioning. Rather that rather they followed their typical order of operations. Every communication went from the Dodgers agent nez Balelo pardon me if I'm mispronounced it, or is represented at CAAA went through Missahara, even without Otani present. This meant no one from the Dodgers or CIA supposedly ever, talked to Otani directly about the looming story involving Missahara before the interpreter talked to the entire team. After Wednesday's opener, Misera now claims he never misinterpreted anything while interpreting for Otani. But think about that for a moment. What that is saying is that the Dodgers and Otani's representatives were aware that there were these allegations of some level of impropriety by the interpreter, and at no point did they then be like, Hey, can we find someone else that speaks Japanese? Call them in here, get show a in here, tell the interpret to go somewhere else for a minute while we make sure show hey knows everything that is wild. That is so irresponsible That to me is the most suspicious part of this. The idea that they would say, oh my goodness, the interpreter is subjected to a gambling probe. Somebody's gotta tell Otani, we'll have the interpreter do it. What that seems like, at best incredibly careless and at worst nefarious. And the reason I say it worse nefarious is it makes me wonder if everyone was hoping that somehow this story could just go away, that somehow that the company line of interpreter did all of this on his own, and then Otani, because he's such a great guy, just covered the debts. That's the cleanest version of this, because the new version, which is the interpreter, did all this on his own and then stole from Otani. That involves not MLB investigations, not even just IRS investigations, but federal investigations. That involves subpoena power, that involves depositions, that involves talking under oath, and it would again my initial read on it is folks were hoping that this could go away, and it obviously isn't. Now as a gambler, there are also a lot of other to me curious questions that arose up to an including what bookie is giving this guy multiple millions of dollars in credit I'm sure will be made whole at some point unless the guy was representing Listen, I'm backed by one of the biggest sports stars in the world. Now that doesn't mean he was backed by one of the biggest sports guys in the world. But as again as a lifelong gambler, let me tell you typically how something like this would go if I brought Demanse to my semi weekly poker game and he played with me a couple times, and he was introduced as my guy orever or even if I didn't bring him, but everyone publicly knew he was with me, and then Demanse showed up without me and lost money. He probably could do that a couple time time and be like, hey, yeah, to put it on my dad's tab. But by about the third time or if and when the figure got to a real amount of money, I would get a phone call like, hey, I'm sure everything's fine, not accusing anyone of anything, but just so you know, Demons has run up this much on your tab? Are you good? Are we cool? Do you want us to cut him off? Whatever? The idea that this got to millions and then the marker was called in strikes me as abnormal. Okay, And I know that there's a lot of these days what I would call just misinformation about how gambling works. I know there was a story Bruno Mars ohs the MGM fifty million. No he doesn't, No, he doesn't. I'm done you right now with knowing nothing that's not true. You know how I know it. You can't run up a fifty million dollar bill, not possible. Doesn't matter how liquid you are, doesn't matter now, And theoretically there, if the play is we want the bill to run up so high, so we theoretically quote own the guy. I understand that that sounds good in the movies. That's not how these things actually work out. At some point, gambling debts become too large to be paid, and that's why they need to be That's why anyone that's ever gambled with a bookie. You have a figure. So if you bet one hundred bucks a weekend, maybe the figure's five hundred dollars. If you bet ten thousand a weekend, maybe the figures fifty thousand dollars. But whatever it is, the figure is once I am plus or minus this amount, we clear the ledgers. You either pay up every Tuesday morning, or you pay up when the number hits a figure. That's how it works. The idea that Otani's interpreter figure would be, you know, at least north of a few million dollars strikes me as odd, and that's another thing that I would want further investigated. None of this implies Otani's to blame here, or that Otani had knowledge of it. One other thing about how this could happen on the money side of things, and then we'll get to John day Porter. The money side of things is a whole nother issue, which is people like, how could you not know this much money was taken out of your account? And the answer is, if you trust people to handle your money, you're every one of us, myself included, that trusts other people to handle our money is susceptible to being stolen from. And it is a trade off that a lot of us that trust other people to handle our money just sign up for and keep our fingers crossed. That's just the truth. When like I right now, there are three people in the world who, if they wanted to, could probably I don't want to say, clean me out, but get tens of thousands of dollars without me potentially knowing about it for months. And you might say, like, that's not supposed to be a flex That's not anything about how much money I have or whatever. It's just the the people in charge of my my actual money. Am I Like it's like I get bank statements every month? That's true, But that's a PDF file. Am I calling the bank every month, getting a human being on the phone saying, here's the account number, read me the you know the balance?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Are those are pdf files? Pretty easily forgible if you really want to. Yeah, So I know folks tend not to have sympathy when people have money stolen, Like, how could you not know? And the answer is it's pretty easy not to know, because the whole idea behind it is I'm paying you to take care of this because either I'm not good at it or I don't have time for it. So I find it totally believable that Otani could have a few million dollars siphoned out of his account and him not know it. So there's a lot of to me, unfair speculation about Otani's involvement that doesn't deal in the real world of how the and I don't know how the uber wealthy work. I don't even know how the actual wealthy work, but I know how I work, and I've got a decent amount of money. But how the uber wealthy, you know what I mean? How often they're actually being like, all right, let me call Bank of America and do a self audit. It's just not happening. Okay, So that's the Otani thing. Did that make sense to you? De mon' say everything I did there. Sorry that I'm kind of icing you out here. Uh, but I just wanna this is to know that that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get this is one of the touchier subjects I guess, But at the end there it kind of sounded like you were saying that there's no way Otani knew that the money was being taken, Like, of how did that much money he's taking.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying there's no way he knew. I'm saying I find it absolutely believable that he didn't know. I think there are some people saying he had to know. And what I'm saying is that I know this sounds weird, but if you've got thirty five hundred dollars to your name, you are going to know if someone took one hundred and twenty bucks from you. If you've got two hundred million to your name, you might not know if someone took twenty million from you. That's what I was thinking, eventually, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yeah no, that was the same thing I was saying, like four and a half million to tild Tani right now.
Speaker 3: Is I don't know what that is, but.
Speaker 2: Right it's it's not it. The only way you're gonna find out is if you do a self audit, because there is nothing it is not an amount to where there's ever a purchase or a thing he's trying to do that he can't do. Also, like Otani's liquid cash is not as real value, his contract is the seven hundred million fully guaranteed he has that he can borrow against that he can do whatever he wants. So all right, So there's that. Now. The johntay Porter thing is actually way more of a canary in the coal mine. Yeah, sinister, listen, I'm not gonna accuse John tay Porter of anything. What I will say is this, the circumstantial evidence appears to be overwhelming. But take Johntay Porter out of this. This is now where we have to have a real discussion about gambling and about player props, and about this specific type of corruption being inevitable, and our sports leagues needing to decide whether or not they're going to care. So I've been on the record about this that when it comes to Pro basketball and Pro football, the sports we talk about, the sports we gamble on that I don't think fixed games are actually a problem or a thing. And that's because I know how gambling works. I know that it is all. It is incredibly difficult to get you see all these fake tickets online. I know that out there is a eighty thousand dollars John day Porter same game. Part that that's not a real thing, guys, And if it is a really honestly, if there was a sports book out there that was accepting an eighty thousand dollars same game parlay on an eighth man the I'm not saying they deserve to be robbed, but there they are. They are I don't want to say again, I don't want to say they're asking for it, but that is ripe for this type of incident. The reason that I don't think you have to worry about players fixing pro basketball or pro football games is because the money doesn't make sense. It is almost impossible to get down more than fifty grand on a random NBA game. There is basically no NBA player that is involved enough to have a definite impact on the result of a game that fifty thousand dollars moves the needle for. In the NFL, you can get down you know, a few hundred thousand on an individual game, but unless you get to the quarterback, it is very difficult to guarantee you're going to have the impact on a game as a player, and there are no quarterbacks that it would make sense to throw a game for a few hundred thousand dollars in a one off incident, and if you did it multiple times, it certainly makes no sense because now your career is over, and even if you don't get caught, just because you must be terrible because you keep losing US games. So my concern with game fixing and gambling was always about college sports because the money matters a lot to the kids, and because kids' brains are not fully developed, kids do dumb things, and there's been corruption and game fixing in college sports for as long as college sports have existed. And the refs, because the every ref can have a massive impact on any game, and those amounts of money all of a sudden do matter. So that's where the concern is for the fixing portion of it. But then there's this whole sub genre of gambling that has become ubiquitous since gambling became legal, and that's the individual player props. That's the same game parlays. That is the you can bet on any player doing anything, and that's where, of course the money could work out for some of these guys. Of course, if a guy's like, hold on, I don't even have to impact if my team wins or loses. I just need to make sure that I don't hit a three, that I don't get four assists, and all of a sudden, I can theoretically make you know, ten twenty thirty grand. Obviously someone's going to fall into that trap, somebody. And so now is where the tougher, more awkward conversations begin, which is, do our sports leagues care enough about that to tell their official gambling partners which seem to be this endless faucet of money for podcasts, television, sports leagues, all of it. Hey, people want to better spread Okay, you're going to have every single player on the team a player prop listed with high limits on it of the bets you'll accept, then we're not partnering with you. That's a real question. And the well, right, so there's a lot of things right, So there's a lot of pieces of this where that that is all intertwined. And again I'm just here trying to be honest with the audience. It is also uh spot and Bamani has talked a lot about this. Arali Boso Vulgarris has talked a lot about this. It has become a more and more even prior to this real thing, which is how compromised a lot of us opinion makers are because all of us are either making money off the gambling sponsors used to will in the future whatever it is. And so you the question is do you want to be forthright and honest with your audience or do you want to make sure that you know what I mean the money faucet turns on. It's a tough one, right, And so we talk a ton of gambling on this show. We have Enduring Football Season, a specific gambling show. I personally am incredibly proud of how we do it. First of all, I've been gambling my whole life. It is something I enjoy. It is something that I know a lot about. But also on this show, what do we do? We pick games we do at the end of each gambling episode. We do one like silly Long you know what I mean. We will do Demand's teaser, which is a straightforward bet, and we do the offer, which is I think the way we position it as hey, look at this as a likely losing wager, but that you can have fun on. And I'm not telling people not to do it. But the distinction between that and having the vast majority of your gambling content be here is this no brainer? Same game parlay about player props feels a little different. And from the limited data we have about places where gamblings become legal, what folks are betting are parlays and player props. Because the upside's higher, it feels more fun. I get all of that. We have to be honest with the audience, which is those are, in the long run, guaranteed losing wagers. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't make them.
Speaker 3: It is it's.
Speaker 2: A losing financial proposition to go to Dave and Busters. But if you spend one hundred bucks and have a ton of fun in the afternoon, you're not like, gosh darn it, I thought I was gonna win money. It's like, no, I was paying for my entertainment. And so I am not saying people shouldn't do this or shouldn't be allowed to do that. I have odd feelings about whether or not it should.
Speaker 3: Be playing for the Xbox on the top shelf.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeah, that is a different level of gambling. I guess sure, So maybe David Buster's was the wrong example, but miniature golf or whatever it is positioning it as uh, this is you know, smart money making is not honest. It's just not And the reason we do the reason we do it the way we do it on this show. And I'm not trying to pat myself on the back. It's just how I've always done it. Is we are picking five games a week. We are incorporating the viig into our plus minus, and we are keeping a ledger, and we are letting you know throughout the year and at the end of the year where we plus or minus, and that way the audience knows where we're at, what we're doing. And if you remember last year, I forget which team it was, but there was, Oh it's the Jags. My one belief in the Jags swung my entire year from being plus a few thousand to where it ended up being minus a few thousand because of the way those bets worked and how many And so that I'm not acting as if there is a writer or wrong way to do it, but there is an honest way to do it. And for the sports leagues, if you are going to have be in bed fully with gambling, companies that are offering more different ways to bet on individual performance than any time ever before. If you do all of that, the Johntay Porter story or something similar is inevitable and it will not stop. It will not go away, and it will not stop. And if they're okay with that, they're okay with that. But let's not act like we couldn't see this coming. Now. I don't see the story of NBA star big name X, you know, throws a game. I don't think that's coming because I don't think the financial incentives are there. But I guarantee you it has already happened in college sports multiple times and folks just haven't caught it yet. And the ref stuff would concern me because there are real financial incentives there. All right, there's our gambling, our gambling and bridge collapse portion of the show. Let's take a very quick break and do our regular a bloc as scheduled. Take a quick break, come back, and we'll do the regular show next. What's Right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Welcome back in What's Dry with Nick Wright? Episode two twenty four. We had some breaking news before today's show, demands about an NFL rule change. Let's get into that before we get to Lugerius snead go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the NFL just changed their kickoff rule. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: So tentatively I like it. Let me explain to the audience what it is. So you're still kicking off from the thirty five, but everything else is wildly different. The team that is kicking off will now have all other ten guys lined up at the opponent's forty. The team that is receiving will have everyone else except for their return man, lined up between the thirty five and thirty, so they will be five to ten yards apart, all right, and then the return man will be somewhere between the goal line and the twenty. Okay, so envision it. The kickers in the normal place, The kicking team is moved forward twenty five yards to the opposing team's forty. The returning team is moved all the way back to between the thirty and thirty five, and you have one or two return men in between in the red zone, essentially between the goal line and the twenty. No one can move other than the kicker until the return man gets the ball or the ball hits the ground. Okay, once that happens, go play, go as far as you can. Here are the unique, the really unique angles to it. If the kick you kick it too short and you don't get it too inside the twenty, the receiving team gets the ball at the forty. If you kick it too far and you kick it into the end zone, the receiving team gets the ball at the thirty. So there might be some teams that just say, you know what, screw this, We're just gonna bomb this thing into the end zone and give the other team the ball at the thirty. That probably won't happen. There will be teams that screw it up and you end up getting the ball at the forty they kick it too short. But what's mostly gonna happen is there's gonna be a kickoff. It's gonna you know, land around the five to ten yard line, and then you're gonna have ten blockers, ten you know, attempted tacklers, the returnment and the kicker go after it. So there will be way, way, way more return That is a guarantee. The only potential negative is the surprise on side kick is dead. Now. Now, if you want to do an on side kick, you have to do you have to tell people and then do the onside kick. What I think is good about it is, uh, the on side kick, I think, and you guys can look this up. You see if I'm wrong, goes back to the old on side kick formation where you had a better chance of receiving it, the one that was in place forever before, like five years ago. So in general I like it. It will obviously reward this season smarter teams that figure things out, quicker, better special teams, things like that, and then once one or two smart teams figures out the way to do it, everyone will copy them. But I like this rule change, and I also speaking of rule changes, then we can move on. Don't really the hip drop tackle hyperventilation that was happening yesterday I think is way overwrought. I think there will be mark this for me. I'm gonna go ahead and say fewer than one hip drop tackle penalty a weekend league wide. I bet there are fewer than twenty called over the course of the season. Players will adjust and they're not gonna call I don't think the in between ones. All right, let's keep going to Monday.
Speaker 3: All right, So some other news.
Speaker 4: Lugerius sneak got sent to the Titans for a twenty twenty five draft pick or a twenty twenty five third run pick.
Speaker 3: Sorry, we know that you and the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: Kingdom wanted to run it back so you guys can get the three peat, But this was destined to happen. Can't keep all those stars? Yeah, but doesn't this kind of scare you? How many more good players do you think you can? You can lose until you start to worry about it.
Speaker 2: So, I here's the thing I was. I'm not. I never thought it was realistic that Chris Jones and Sneid were both gonna be back under long term contracts. I did start to think that Chris once Chris got signed, that Snead might play under the tag. And obviously you lose an excellent player, the team gets a little bit worse. Lagarius Sneid is the one who punched out this A Flowers fumble in the AFC title game. He didn't allow a single touchdown in coverage in the regular season all year. He was an excellent player. He also is sneaky older than people think. Chris Jones is twenty nine, Lagarius Sneid is twenty seven. He also has dealt with some slight knee issues. Because of those two factors, giving him twenty million dollars a year, Titans Game nineteen would not have been smart in my opinion. And the Chiefs have shown secondary is a spot they believe they can draft and develop and they will move off guys. Kendall Fuller they let go in free agency for a bunch of money. Schavaria's Ward they let go in free agency for a bunch of money. Honey Badger they let go in free agency. And now Sneid they traded. Now folks are upset that they only got a future third. Why did they not get more? And the answer they didn't get more is because because of Sneed's contract demands, which he earned and I am happy for him. The market people were not super excited about giving up a premium pick and paying Lagarius Snead, and so because of that, this was about as solid of a return as they were going to get. And here's why there is a tangible benefit to this season. I don't know if it's enough to offset losing Sneed, but that twenty million that you opened up, they still need to sign a tackle, They need to extend Creed Humphrey, they might extend Tray Smith. That money you open up right now is super valuable. Even though free agency has passed its first couple phases. So if you told me they could only keep one Snead or Chris Jones, I feel like they kept the right one. They are gonna have to pay Trent McDuffie a king's ransom in a year, so they are preparing for that, and for all those reasons, I'm not thrilled about it, but I don't think this is a devastating blow for Kansas City, and I am super happy for Lagarius Sneed, who has went through massive life tragedies, has never made real NFL money, and now gets paid based on his great work. All right, demons, h what's the next we've got?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So Dallas is reportedly gonna let Dak's contract play out instead of extending him. You said you would like that move, but don't you. It's probably better to have an established quarterback to be looking around for one.
Speaker 3: Of this time.
Speaker 4: But yeah, despite that, hold on, I'm sorry, go ahead, yeah, no, no, yeah, So what do you what do you think about that move?
Speaker 3: And why you talk?
Speaker 2: I'll take some notes, Okay, Oh, that's why you were grabbing your notepad. So yeah, the thing, you're fine. Uh. The Cowboys are in a really rough spot. Dak Prescott at sixty million a year as a disaster. Not having a quarterback obviously is a potential disaster. I would not pay Dak Prescott top of the market money. I would prefer see how this year plays out and roll the dice. I don't know that they're actually gonna have the guts to do that, but very clearly demanse uh, I think we know. You cannot win a Super Bowl with a good ish quarterback paid like a great one. You can win a Super Bowl with a bad quarterback and a great events. You win a Super Bowl with a young quarterback. You win Super Bowl with a great quarterback paid like a great one. We have never seen under the current salary cup cap construct a quarterback in that eight to fourteen range, where Dak is eight to twelve range, paid like he's the best and the team's good enough to get to the super Bowl. So the Cowboys put themselves in this position by giving Dak the no franchise tag, no trade clause, so it's not they're not operating from a position of strength. But what I wonder is if they could take the strength back from Dak prep, if they could regain leverage, if they do let this play out and then say to Dak's agent, hey man, you really want to go from being the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys to the quarterback of the Tennessee Titans. Is that what you want to do? The quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys to the what's another team that might be in the quarterback market right now? The quarterback the New York Jets. That's well, the commander is probably gonna draft a kid it too. But is that what you want to do? Or does it make more sense for you to take a Kirk Cousins type of deal which pays you good but not very top of the market and continuing quarterback for the Cowboys. So if they actually can stand true to this demanse, I think it would be a gutsy good move. What are you drawing? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: I was making notes, taking everything that you were saying in about you know, future sure quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: And oh you're.
Speaker 2: Oh, I get it now. Oh it's because Jerry Jones was doodling. I saw Jerry in the Rundown, and I forgot the Jerry Jones thing, and I was like, what do they have my guy demanse doing? Why are they having him doodle for no reason? But it's because Jerry Jones just had pages and pages of doodles when he was being interviewed at the owner's meetings. Okay, now I understand it. Speaking of things I don't understand. Demon's a JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the JJ McCarthy I trained is obviously really crazy. Right now, Folks like Jim Harbaugh saying JJ is even better than Caleb Williams.
Speaker 3: It's really crazy.
Speaker 4: Some reports are some reports are Washington is considering taking him as high as number two. All it took was that and Zach Wilson pass at Pro Day. Which team is gonna get sucked in? And why is it the Giants?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think he's gonna be gone before the Giants can pick. I have six Listen, man, this JJ McCarthy thing. I'm willing to open up the possibility that I'm wrong, but I do not get it. I admit I don't watch a ton of college football, but last year I did watch a ton of Michigan because they were the best team in college football. I didn't, so like, did I watch a ton of Drake May during the year? No, did I, by happenstance, watch a ton of JJ McCarthy. Yes, and I'm acting like I get these right every time. But at no point watching Michigan play was I like, Oh, that guy future top five pick. But he legitimately could go number two. He absolutely could go top three. And if he doesn't, someone is going to trade with either the Cardinals or Jim Harbaugh's Chargers to move up to number five and get him. So I don't get it. I flatly do not get it. So WI question here, demon's is interesting.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yeah, why if Harball is so high on him, would he not just trade Herbert away to get a war chest and get him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I actually thought about this exact thing, And the answer to that is because of the contract. First of all, it would be crazy. But let's just say Harball's adamant that he thinks JJ McCarthy is the best quarterback in the draft, that he's awesome, and you would have him obviously super cheap for four years. If all those things were true, then trading Justin Herbert for like four first round picks or you can't get four, but three first round picks theoretically would make sense. The problem is the contract Herbert signed is untradeable because of how they structured it. So because of the bonuses that have already been paid. Right now, if you were to trade Justin Herbert, you would take on ninety five million dollars in dead cap, so you just can't do it. So trading Justin Herbert is not like financially possible. It also would be crazy unless you believe JJ McCarthy's the best quarterback in the draft, in which case it would make sense. But it's not if he hadn't been signed to a deal yet. It would make sense if he was under the circumstance too, was under where it's like, oh, we could trade him and then draft our guy. That would be fine, But because of the contract Herbert signed, at least according to the people at spot rack, he's not tradeable. All right, quick break right back, wrap the show with a game of freak outer, chill out, What's right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Welcome back in What's Right? With Nick right real quick. Shefter just tweeted the NFL is planning to play another game this year on Christmas Day, which is on a Wednesday. So a Wednesday Christmas Day game is coming. Mark me down as someone that says that is a bad idea. The NFL, I is, I think trying to grab up too much real estate last year because of where Christmas fell on the calendar, you could like the day of the week. You could justify and explain it. Because let me make sure I'm right on this. I think last year Christmas was Christmas either on a Sunday or a Monday. But let me just look, I have he right in front of me. Christmas last year was on a Monday. No, it was on a Monday, but there's usually football games on Monday. It made sense with the schedule all of it. Wednesday is the one day football are never played. It's gonna be it's good. I don't even know scheduling wise, how you're gonna do it. And putting games on Christmas Day, I know it'll do a big number. I think. I think long term it's a bad decision. All right, demand let's keep going because the show's gone long. I know that shocks everybody.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yeah, Houston is now only one game behind the Warriors and Draymond says that he's not scared, and Steve Kurr is already arresting Stephen.
Speaker 3: Curry for the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Uh do you think that this Curry era will end up ending in an eleven seed?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think that the Curry era is over, but I do think the Warriors are gonna miss. I think that if you look at what the Warriors, and if we're gonna talk about why they're gonna miss, you have to you have to talk about the fact that Draymond Green was suspended for twenty one games and how that impacted them. But what the Warriors have left. It's not a gauntlet by any means. I understand that. But here is what the Warriors have left on their schedule. The following four on the road Miami, Orlando, Charlotte, San Antonio, only one guaranteed victory Charlotte, then home for Dallas, then back to Texas for at Houston, at Dallas home for Utah, then at the Lakers at Portland Easy home for New Orleans home for the Jazz. The Rockets, on the other hand, have a slightly tougher schedule, but they are rolling. The Warriors are I'd be really worried right now, and we'll talk about the Suns in a minute. Right now, I think the nine to ten play in game demanday is gonna be Sun's rockets. I think the Warriors are gonna fall out entirely, and I the Suns are gonna keep collapsing or keep falling.
Speaker 4: All right, next, All right, we're playing freak out or chill out. My Celtics blew a thirty point lead last night against the Hawks. Yeah, I know it's just one game, But do you think it's a time for me to freak out or chill out?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you it's just one games, So go ahead. I'm what's you're a yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean they're they're already getting into their post postseason function. They blew a thirty point lead to the Hawks. I don't I'm not like one of those crazy fans. That's just like like if if I'm very realistic, the Nuggets are gonna kick your ass. If you're gonna do stuff like that, you blew a thirty point lead to the Hawks. I mean no, I'm just very realistic and I'm not gonna do that. Oh you can be no, dude. If they're gonna do that type of stuff not gonna be I mean, you're not even gonna be able to get away from the Bucks let on the Denver nights.
Speaker 2: But uh, right, so that's the problem. The problem is I don't think you should freak out about one game you had won nine in a row. Uh, they took your third off the gas and weren't able to put it back on the gas. That's it. Thirty points is bad, but that happens. But I just don't I don't like the Celtics as much as I like the Bucks right now, and there is a very real possibility that round one Boston has to play Miami or Philly. Right now, the seven to eight seed is Miami Philly, meaning the loser of that game would then go into the next play in game and then have to beat either Chicago or Atlanta to then be the one seed or to play be the eight seed. I wouldn't love that path at all if I were Boston, and so I wouldn't freak out about last night, But would I freak out in general a little bit? All right? Next?
Speaker 4: Uh, the Suns dropped to the to the player in lucas their number, and they need to beat Lebron or Steff it's not a long shot. Since it's not a long shot to say they could be bouncing the postseason, Katie is stuck with no outs. If you can't make this work, should Durant freak out or chill out freak out?
Speaker 2: You just lost to the Spurs without Wimby, which is a travesty, a total travesty to lose that game. You are now if you are Phoenix, you are in the eighth seed. Now you're a half game out of being in the sixth seed. You're also the only two losses up on the Lakers in the nine seed. And we were talking schedules the Suns. It's not only that they have the hardest remaining schedule in the league by far, it's that they have This is what the Suns are about to start is the hardest ten game stretch demons any team has had at any point all season. Here are the one's final ten at Denver, at OKC, at New Orleans, Home for Cleveland, home for Minnesota, Home for New Orleans, Home for the Clippers, at the Clippers, at the Kings, at the Timberwolves. So you play one, two, three, four games against the West. One two, three, another one three, four games against New Orleans and the Clippers, and then Cleveland and Sacramento, and so I think the Sons are going to drop to the nine spot. And folks killed me when I said I didn't like the Bradley Beal. Addition, when I said I don't buy into it, I that that using all your chips, I'm getting Bradley Beal. They just keep I've said it for I'll say it again. They just have a slight They have Kevin Durant and then a slightly worst version of Kevin Durant and Devin Booker, and then a worst version of Devin Booker and Bradley Beal. They have the same like archetype of player, just three times over, and they have no moves to make moving forward. Yeah, I'd be freaking out if I were Durant next.
Speaker 4: All right, the Clippers have fallen off since Rusk got hurt, James Harden win from closing out on Kawhid, putting a Maxie in a headlock. Would once look like a serious contender now looks like an unserious team. Should the Clipper fans, if they exist, freak out or chill out.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to freak out. If only someone had warned you this was coming. So James Harden in his last eight games, he's missed two, so it's the last ten Clippers games. In his last eight games since March ninth, he is thirteen points on thirty nine percent from the field and thirty percent from three. It's that time of year again.
Speaker 3: It's that time. Okay, it's just.
Speaker 2: That time of year. Uh and his post All Star breaks swoon. At this point you can set your watch to it. And the Clippers aren't good enough. And so the now they're there, I expect them to stay out of the play in and then I expect them to get rolled in round one, either by Minnesota or who could they be playing in round one? If they stay the five, they could play New Orleans. They could beat New Orleans, I suppose, and then just get annihilated in round two. But Minnesota would beat them, Oklahoma City would beat them. If they fall to the six. Obviously Denver would beat them. And by the way, Laurie Reyes are wonderful uh producer, social medium. She's a Clippers fan. She says, I exist, so demands a u O Laian apology.
Speaker 4: All right, sorry, all right things will look it up for the Lakers. Eighty is playing out of his mind. D Lo just broke the Lakers single season three point record. It seems that they are peaking at the right time. Should the West freak out or chill out?
Speaker 2: So let me get Can I give you my Galaxy brain Lakers take because listen, the West obviously goes through Denver. Okay, we all know this. I'm gonna give you my The whole idea for the Lakers has been if you're a Lakers fan, like, well, maybe someone can beat Denver for us. That's not really a plan, right, hoping someone else upsets Denver. Here's now sneaky what I'm rooting for Lakers Denver? Round one? Here's why. Let me explain. How is round one different than all the other rounds? The games are so spread out, so much time between them. Is the Lakers' only path the beating Denver? Lebron being able to play like forty two to forty four minutes a night along with ad Yeah. Probably now I'm seeing Denver's beating the Lakers like nine straight games. Daniel right now is yelling in the control room. I get all of it. Denver is the far better team, but they can't beat Denver. Playing them every other day is their only hope. The spread out first round where you have two and sometimes three days between series. Maybe. Now here's what I do think. I do think that the Lakers can beat anyone in the West in a series other than Denver, and so Denver, we could have the same scenario as last year where the Lakers are the seven and they played Denil the one they played Denver in the conference finals. Like that absolutely could happen again. Uh, It's not necessarily what I'm predicting, but I do think the Lakers are dangerous. Uh. And the Lakers as opposed to when we were talking about tough schedules, the Lakers have a tough one tonight against Milwaukee that Lebron's probably gonna miss. After that, here's what the Lakers got Memphis Pacers, Brooklyn, Toronto, Washington, Cleveland, Minnesota, Golden State, Memphis, New Orleans, So Memphis, Brooklyn, Toronto, Washington, Memphis. That's five games you've gotta win. Could the Lakers right now because they if they want to get out of the ninth spot, they let's say Phoenix is gonna go four and six the rest of the way. Can the Lakers go seven and three? I think they can and catch them all right, Listen, We're not gonna do listener questions because we this show went too long on a million different things. Today thirty minute TV show. Today, I'm gonna be on with Colin in about an hour and a half. You want to check me out there? Demanse looks like, how'd you feel with the shades? Is this gonna be the new look? Because I like it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I need to get some I need to get a different pair. This was the mock the mock sunglass trot.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, get some all right, good.
Speaker 3: Some better ones, but yeah, all right, definite.
Speaker 2: Put your thoughts on Demanse's sunglasses look in the chat or in the YouTube comments. We appreciate you watching, like rate subscribe review. Hope you guys enjoyed today's show. See you guys on TV in about ninety minutes. We'll up. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get to Monday, another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,