Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Morning everybody.
Speaker 4: It's DJ En v Jess, Larry is Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed we have Monica McNutt.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Hi guys.
Speaker 5: Monica is a what are you a sports reporter analyst?
Speaker 6: What we're working cycle instructor on the side and you know, just trying to take care of my mentals, my chicken shout out to Marshall.
Speaker 5: Now I saw you the other You tweet the other day that you misplaced your beach by Dread headphones on the plane, and you said that it messed up your movie watching the experience very much. Did you have to use the airplane headphones?
Speaker 6: So I was worse listen not airplane headphones, so full full context. It was before the next loss of the Pacers, so it was team travel, Charter Life smooth.
Speaker 1: We love it. I use my.
Speaker 6: AirPods, but the plane is still loud. So it was very much like I can kind of hear I want to watch this versus you know this around experience watching Uh, mister missus Smith on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: Is it good?
Speaker 1: I'm getting into it. It took me about three episodes.
Speaker 6: It was a little predictable, but I want to support I think, so I'm gonna hang on.
Speaker 2: Did you ever find your headphones?
Speaker 6: I did not, and the locators lost. I'm pretty sure I lost them on the trip to Chicago. I'm one of them people that I don't lose a lot, but when I can't find something.
Speaker 1: I lost it.
Speaker 2: You just left it somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and somebody got them. I hope they're blessed.
Speaker 4: But when you walked in, you and Charlemagne were having a conversation about makeup. Yes, like discussed because he was because he was like, did you get this treatment?
Speaker 3: And he was like, I haven't got that. Said, oh my god, that.
Speaker 1: Treatment are amazing treatment.
Speaker 3: What you're talking about her? Because I was amazed when.
Speaker 2: She removed the makeup. The removal is incredible.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to tap in now.
Speaker 6: The problem, though, is I'll be trying to save her the face by Brenda and then she's not in my house.
Speaker 3: And I knew wear in your eyebrows, Charlage, I knew that.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? Absolutely? Mind?
Speaker 3: Now, let's talk Can we talk some sports? For some sports, let's let's talk.
Speaker 2: Lets talk about Monica for us.
Speaker 5: Can we get to know Monica before we get into the sports.
Speaker 1: You know, she played in bake in college, but.
Speaker 2: Georgetown Hall, I did?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: Why did you stop playing?
Speaker 1: You know what? Okay?
Speaker 6: So I was very realistic, right, and I remember saying to my dad, like, I don't want to be twenty eight coming back from overseas and being at entry level positions.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 6: This is the I don't live with a bunch of regress, y'all. But it is the one thing that I do regret not even trying to see if I could stick on the roster in the W.
Speaker 1: I had so much respect for the craft.
Speaker 6: I didn't think I was good enough, and frankly, I was ready to put my energy elsewhere. Basketball was like third grade every Saturday, every summer. You know what I'm saying, that commitment, and so I was kind of like, all right, I'm ready to do something else. So I did not attempt to go pro. I immediately began my full rate into media.
Speaker 4: Do you think you could have win pro? Do you think you could have win pro? S? And everybody that the way they played and knowing the way that.
Speaker 6: You play, I graduated twenty eleven. I think I could have made a roster. I don't know if I would have stuck for the entire season. If I'm honest, the w was just that tough.
Speaker 1: It's just that tough.
Speaker 2: Why do you feel like you know?
Speaker 5: Like you said, you have regrets, but it's like you physically know or spiritually know when it's time to move on to the next thing.
Speaker 1: Correct, So if you knew that.
Speaker 2: Like, why do you have regrets?
Speaker 6: I think I trying would have honestly given me some intel in terms of the process, for one, which would have benefited me now. And then I think it would have been like, well, you tried it, now let's move on, you know what I mean? Even if the result was still you're gonna move on, because if the plan was it's time to move on, it was gonna be revealed one way or another. So that's the only and I use regret lightly. There are a few things that I look back and I'm like, I should have done that. Thankfully, I don't live with a toitle those.
Speaker 2: So so do you feel tall for no reason?
Speaker 1: No? I love being tall. I feel tall on purpose?
Speaker 6: Okay, baby, Like it took me a long time to get comes up on these sides, eleven sides, twelve feet okay, come here.
Speaker 2: Because we hugged, but you like lean down.
Speaker 5: That disrespectful to short man, I don't know if you know that, But to short king, I feel like that's disrespectful.
Speaker 2: Yes, what I'm I supposed to do?
Speaker 5: Like when tall women kneel down in the picture like that, Like why are you doing that?
Speaker 6: I'm not good Like I wouldn't be tall if you weren't short, though, so we work together, like we work together.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised you didn't try to post you up.
Speaker 4: Usually any any woman here as toll, he tries to post you up like he plays basket.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. Don't do that. We passed that. Don't do that.
Speaker 3: Don't do that because he does that all the time.
Speaker 2: The woman I know, I'm not gonna do it. I don't know mineel like that.
Speaker 3: He's in the street, right. We try to battle them out.
Speaker 1: We're all accustomed to it. Move no, man, get I'm away now.
Speaker 3: How did you get to be in an analystic reporter?
Speaker 6: So when I graduated in twenty eleven, we lost to Yukon ironically in Philly and at the Press conference final press conference.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yo, like my career is over. I'm trying to get in the media. What's up.
Speaker 6: And a couple of folks in the audience actually gave me cards and connected, and I think I'm very thankful to my parents. Advocating for myself has been something that I have never struggled with her to see my parents, and so all along the way, I'm meeting these people and letting them know what I wanted to do. I actually ended up being at a Washington Post event and sitting in front of the director of the Phillamol College of Journalism or Sports Program for Sports Journalism at University of Maryland, again advocating for myself. He's like, come truck out our journalism program. At the time, I didn't know who he was. Turned out to be George Solomon. That gets the wheel rolling in me in terms of opportunities to learn the craft of journalism, study it, be able to go and perform in various mediums, and then take my basketball passion of basketball knowledge and merge the two. So twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, I graduated from grad school and then it's just kind of been pushing ever since.
Speaker 5: Was there any body that inspired you to want to get into broadcast journalism?
Speaker 6: Robin Roberts, like I was the nineteen ninety six ninety seven WNBA foundational years, Robin Roberts was still working on the call at that point, and I just remember seeing her and then following her to ESPN and Sports Center and obviously on the GMA, Like it was like yo, like that's me, Like I could do that. And so I think Robert Roberts is probably my first muse in the space. And then I would say somebody like Doris Burke probably.
Speaker 5: Does this stigma still exist that women don't know sports one hundred percent?
Speaker 6: It's changing, but it's definitely still out there. And I'll be honest, y'all. For me, it was so funny this week Monday. First take Steve and A Shannon, all those guys and Steven that has to take this moment to address this whole thing with Jaylen Brown, right, and I am listening, and I'm like, Dak, this man have been in the industry twenty five plus years, well respected, and he's still having to clarify. And so for me, you know, less than ten years in at least in doing that showing on that platform it was this that's just the nature of the beast's moment, because I'm like, I didn't say that when people are like tweeting stuff at me, like I didn't say that, or that's completely out of context. And so I think you learn and you build the scar tissue, the tough skin to deal with it, because it's just the nature of the beasts.
Speaker 1: I do understand differently, we forget.
Speaker 6: Fanish short for fanatic, and so sometimes when I'm engaging, I'm like, all right, is this misogynistic bs or is this just a crazy fan right? And you gotta be able, I don't want to say hold space, but you gotta be able to navigate both because there is still a sentiment out there that women just don't know what they're talking about. And for me, I'm like, look, we don't have to agree. That's the nature of the beast, that's the nature of human experience. But don't be nasty for no reason. That's my only thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think when it comes to like sports pundents, you can immediately tell if you like somebody just by listening to him, cause you know what they you know, they know what they're talking about. I remember the first time I saw you was on I think the Yes Network with cas. It was with after the Knicks game, and I was like, I remember hitting cats, Like who is that? Like, you know she knows what she's talking about, not she because she's a woman, just that person knows what they're talking about. Yeah, yeah, And I appreciate that that that compliment and compliments from basketball people mean no world to me.
Speaker 1: Like if this.
Speaker 6: Assistant coach or this coach or this former athlete is like, yo, we like what you do, like thank you and it and like what you do doesn't mean we always have to agree. I'm gonnacros from NASA Rosie two years ago at the Women's Final four and she's like, mine, you look like you having fun. Though She's like I don't always agree, which is fine, but you look like you having fun and you've done the work, and that's that is.
Speaker 1: The bottom line.
Speaker 4: Now, I got to ask you, w NBA, let's do it. There's been a lot of conversation recently about the w NBA. Things have changed in the last year, but I think people wanted more and I see them starting to talk more and more and more and more trash, right, Caitlin Clark for example. Right, you know she's doing well, scoring twenty two points. It's difficult, right, d Like, this is top level basketball, but people wanted more. They want to herd like what she did in college, and they're saying that this could actually hurt the wn bab what's.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: So two things can be true, and this is why the run up to Kaylan getting drafted and becoming a pro was so fascinating to watch for those of us that have been in the space.
Speaker 1: Right, she's dynamic, she has changed the game.
Speaker 6: She's worthy of all the contracts, the dollars, the Rise and Tide raisers, all ships, whatever. Although there is trajectory of the WNB in the last four years, some of these things were going to happen anyway.
Speaker 1: But the w is also tough. It's one hundred and forty four of the.
Speaker 6: Best women in the world period, not in the United States, in the world. And so she is fine and talented and will be okay. And there's also going to be a curve, and I think that's what we're seeing in real time. You don't get drafted number one because the team just won a championship. The team is straggling, right, and the Fever have struggled since they won a championship with Tamika Catches. I think that was twenty sixteen, So they're trying to get back to the promised lands, so to speak. I think the hope is, Okay, we're turning in to watch Caitlin Oh, but let me. I'm learning about the Connecticut Sign, I'm learning about the La Sparks, I'm learning about the Las Vegas Aces, these other teams that I now want to follow.
Speaker 1: That's the hope. Now the reality.
Speaker 6: I literally had this conversation a week ago one of my bosses is is that fan base for her going to.
Speaker 1: Hang on while the Fever continue to struggle? Now?
Speaker 6: I can't answer that. I can already see growth in her first one two weeks the month of the season. But I hope that the eyeballs that she's bringing are about women's sports at large and not just her, and that encourages and boost the WNBA at large.
Speaker 5: I've never rooted for a white woman so much of my life. Okay, because she has to be successful. I feel like, you know, the more success she has, the more success women's basketball is going to have. Like people should want her to succeed, but it's kind of weird to see people rooting against her.
Speaker 6: So first of all, let's let let charlamne and be less unpacked that who who is who is Chuck talking to the other day? Like who is Chuck talking to? Stop hating?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now, if you're talking to the internet, make that clear.
Speaker 6: Because I have talked to w players, I've talked to her teammates in Indiana, like, folks are excited and thrilled. But the idea that the w NBA has to play kumbaya and not compete.
Speaker 1: Like whoever said, I'm blank?
Speaker 6: Was it je t They said, y'all should be competing because you want to make her look good.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I said one of the podcasts, I say, say that, write.
Speaker 6: This clip like cut it out, cut it out, like at the base, at the foundation of this this competition, and that is beautiful and worthy of celebration.
Speaker 3: If you're listening, you don't know what she's talking about.
Speaker 4: He was saying that the WNBA should fall back off and for let her score, let her score thirty forty the first two years and get more people involved, and then play hard on her but I'm like you, it's competition. Like now, I want to show that I can defend her. I want to show that when she comes into my city that she's scoring two points.
Speaker 1: That's so like, that's no insult to her. She's a competitor.
Speaker 6: She go go get she go go do what she gotta do. Do not give this any real rational space in your head.
Speaker 2: Don't even do it. I'm like, Jeff might not be a little all. You might not be wrong.
Speaker 4: Because I'm saying, for two years, get more, especially to go see her.
Speaker 5: It's not like she's not getting shots to be fun.
Speaker 1: She's to me, if i'm her, that's an insult. That's an insult.
Speaker 2: And it's only been with five games.
Speaker 1: I got a double check something like that.
Speaker 5: She scored twenty a few times. But I'm looking at everything else she's doing. She's getting she's getting reading, cut down on the turnover, but she looks like she's doing, she gonna, she's doing.
Speaker 6: Anything quite as his cap. I don't I shouldn't say quiet as his cap. But it just hasn't been as much of a national headline. But her comrade in that class, Angel Reae, has been off to a rocket right like she's angel is stupid and I'm hooping, And I'll be the first to say that. In college, I was like a house is going to translate in terms of position, but the work ethic, the energy get into the glass, like the toughness, all of those things have translated.
Speaker 1: And I'm really excited for her. This rookie class is.
Speaker 6: Dope, and I think the timing of it is really unique in terms of the growth of women's sports at large. And then you have these personalities that you can lash onto and really root for, and they are cool sharing their lives, which is super dope. So it's a beautiful combination. So right now you're Rookie of the Year. So far as injuries, in terms of product, I mean, both those teams are struggling. I haven't eve thought about show me it's so early. My big thing going into the conversation with Rookie of the Year though, is whose numbers are going to impact their team's overall improvement. So right now you would give a slight edge to Chicago. Both of those teams are struggling. Well, not shouldn't struggling. They're still young, they're still building, but you would probably give a slight edge to Chicago right now, Cardoza not even Yeah, she had a shoulder thing, she's getting she's getting back.
Speaker 2: How hard is it being a woman at ESPN?
Speaker 6: So I live in New York, I operate out of the Seaport Studio. I have no issues. The times that I've been in Bristol, I've had no issues. It is that's a ESPN is a great place to work. Every no place is perfect, right, and so I don't find it to be hard. I think I'm probably hardest on myself. And that's just the background of an athlete, right, Like, yeah, it's crazy to me. The other day I had a conversation with my guys over at Next School and they asked me about my most morole moment from the season. And this wasn't an ESPN moment, but it was with Mike Green. Right, We're doing a game in Golden State, second game. I had the opportunity to call for the Knicks. I might have been a third and Mike Bring does his signature bang on the call and it was like.
Speaker 1: Surreal for me because I'm like whoa, Like whoa.
Speaker 6: And so there's this moment of I'm sitting next to this Hall of Famer that has done this for I'm ten years or even the other day in the studio, like I'm sitting across from you, Donna's Haslam, a three time champion, like a dude that played eighteen plus years in the NBA, and here I am someone who has loved the game of basketball, done my best to study and prepare and just bringing my perspective. So whether it's ESPN or MSG, there's an innate confidence that you have to have in terms of my voice and my perspective adds to this conversation. Now, that does not mean I don't operate with a ton of difference and respect, because I mean I'm riding them off, all these people that I have the privilege to work next to, and I have a ton of respect for your experience. However, this is also what I've observed. Can we have a conversation, and so that goes back to basketball people being like yo, that was that was solid or on the occasion where it wasn't solid, you have the opportun unity to receive constructive feedback, adjust and grow.
Speaker 1: So I have not found it to be hard.
Speaker 6: I'm very thankful I've had the opportunity to do a bunch of different things, and I think moving forward, for me, it's about finding the lane that best suits my skill set.
Speaker 4: And I gotta ask, you said you did a bunch of Knicks games, right, it feels like the NBA gets a lot better and more talked about.
Speaker 3: When the Knicks are in the playoffs. It feels like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes it does.
Speaker 3: Are you crazy?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 6: So this was my first year as a Knicks radio analyst. We had a blast, right. This was also probably their best year in terms of if you think of January, they was on a hot streak. I have learned how national television works. There's a few y'all know, it's a few markets that hit. And we're gonna keep recycling these topics. When the Knicks are playing well, there's definitely more energy, Like there's more energy about the teams that are coming into the garden. How did the results end up going down at the garden like the whole bit?
Speaker 1: So, yes, I think that's a fact.
Speaker 4: And I also got to ask, you know, people have been complaining about the refs in it BA recently and they're saying they make bad.
Speaker 3: Calls and this, that and the other. What are your thoughts on the rest of the NBA.
Speaker 6: I think referring is a thankless job. Your best case scenarios. We say nothing about you, right.
Speaker 4: The one time the Pacers complaining seventy eight times is like, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Like in one game.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think between game two and three they sent seventy eight clips to the league office.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: Rick Carlo popped a thirty five thousand dollars flying for his postgame press conference after Game two, and in Game three in Indiana, the tenor of the game was a little different.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's why I think they won that game.
Speaker 1: But ahead, we're gonna keep moving.
Speaker 6: I think officiating definitely has room to improve, and it's just a matter of consistency. Even last night, complete accident, was it? Jaylen Bronston clock kicks t J McConnell on the head, everybody listening, JJ Reddick, Mike Breen, George Burk Like, by rule, this is gonna be a flaker one unintentional, but you kicked the dude in the face and the crew ruled that it was just a regular file like it was like, oh, and so I think there is consistency by the letter of the law that is missing and that probably be my biggest gripe.
Speaker 4: And who's the face of the league right now? You look at some of the biggest stars in the league, they didn't make the playoffs. Well out the playoffs, I should say, you eat Lebron, You're talking Curry, you're talking Kevin Durant, these guys.
Speaker 3: Out, So who is the face of the league.
Speaker 6: I mean we've only been debating us for like three weeks on television.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 1: Look, I still think that those guys.
Speaker 6: When you think NBA, you think of the Jannis, KD, Steph and Lebron still first in my mind. But I do think we are witnessing a changing of the guard Minnesota. Mike, guess what, right look like, That's how it's gonna happen. And so I think that probably puts a little bit of a pause on the Anthony Edwards talk. But then you got like Kyrie, who's going off alongside Luca, Right, they love Kyrie.
Speaker 2: Now Michael Jordan is the face of the NBA.
Speaker 5: Okay, And you know how you know Michael Jordan facing the NBA because even the greatest players that are still playing right now still get compared to Michael Jordan's Anthony Edwards is still getting compared, you know, to Michael Jordan right now, Lebron James. They still he was in the playoff. They would say, he's still chasing Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan is the face of the NBA guys and gals.
Speaker 6: Okay, I don't know if I agree with that, but sure I understand your logic. I mean, I think the face of the league is such a it's a loaded question, right because so much of it is also like wanting to and so in terms of the guy that's front facing a vocal, it's definitely Steph and Lebron in terms of like they're gonna capture all of these.
Speaker 1: Deals regarding the league.
Speaker 6: They're gonna wear mics, the you know what I'm saying, They're gonna be strategic and everything that they're doing. I don't know if there's anybody that seems to embrace it quite the way they do until you turn around and got and Edwards, but I will say they like, I love it.
Speaker 4: Though he's like he's on he comes from a side of it almost like more like an Ivison approach. I don't give a fuck about none of you, all them, I'm gonna say what I gotta say, and it is what it is.
Speaker 3: And then if you talk back to me, I'm gonna try to dunk on you.
Speaker 2: By the way, I.
Speaker 5: Like Anthony Edwood's too, but it feels like once those Jordan talks really started to heat up for that week, his performances didn't match.
Speaker 6: So this is year one though. I feel you on that, but this is your one. I'm gonna say this baby, this young man, this athlete, his.
Speaker 2: Baby, his baby.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's never been this far, and to me, he looks absolutely cooked and fatigued in the series, So I think he has time. Like this is the question around him has been it's either new face of the league. Don't think he's there yet. But like you said, the MJ comps, the personality, all of these things are reasons for folks to tune in, and so I think he's got He's twenty two, y'all, He's got plenty of time and plenty of runway. But I think knocking out the defendant tips and the way that they did that made that very excited and talking trash all along the way.
Speaker 3: Please, I got to ask about one more nick question we got. What do they shut up?
Speaker 4: What do the Knicks need to do for next year? You know they've been talking about do they trade Randall, do they keep Randall? Do they bring somebody else in? You know, what should we do?
Speaker 6: So hear me out listening, I think people forgot what this team could look like healthy, Right, Mitchell Robinson goes down in October, Julius goes down at the end of January, og misses a month ish down to stretch of the regular season. You get to the postseason, Ogi's still dealing with the injury stuff, and then obviously it ends with the jaylen Han thing. Right, Julius was a twenty five and nine guy. Excuse me, all star right, all NBA. Mitchell Robinson was having the best season to date before going down with that foot injury, and then when he did get healthy, he was productive until he got her to get in that Philly series. I actually would be okay if this team stood its ground and ran it back healthy. But to me, the culture has to be protected. Y'all know y'all heard all the conversation about Tibbs. I was, I like, want to kick anybody in the face that want to talk to me about TIBs. In minutes like stop it.
Speaker 3: Say TIBs work, Peaked did work.
Speaker 6: Like we're trying to win, y'all want to count minutes y'all on w's like what were we doing? So if they're going to add I think that front office has earned tremendous respect with the trade that they made to get Og and Precious the Truer and even the two guys out of Detroit were beneficial down the stretch. They deserve respect. To me, you gotta get a guy that fits a Tip system. You gotta be able to play. You want to play on both sides of the floor, and a ball can't really stick. I think the misconception is that the ball has to stick with Jalen. Jalen to me, is an incredible high basketball like you guy, Yes, he's gonna get his buckets. But if you gave him somebody that also was drawing a double team, which is Tip's favorite thing to say, like he gonn pass the rock, he gonna get off of it because he's a winner. So I would actually be okay if they ran it back and they were healthy. But whoever it is, you gotta be a real hooper and not in the NBA because of the lifestyle and you just happen to be talented.
Speaker 3: Devin Booker. They've been saying, what's your thoughts?
Speaker 6: Don't love that two ball dominant and what we're doing on the other side of the ball, And I just I don't. I just I don't love that one.
Speaker 3: Bronnie, Ronnie.
Speaker 6: I mean, I see where you're going there, right, I do see where you're going. Look, that is the literally lebron James test free agency sincerely right, two places in my mind, Philly has the money, they could actually do it, and everybody's like he can't go to Philly, no chance. And then in terms of brand and start power, like it ain't no place like New York. I don't think that's realistic. But that's a guy. You don't question his work ethic, you don't question his availability, like he gonna hoop when he went as long as he's.
Speaker 3: Outhy, you're gonna who is Brownie ready for the lead?
Speaker 6: I have not watched Brownie enough, so I can't say, but I do appreciate that. I think my favorite thing in this process, as the highlights have come down from the combine, was his player comps like he was honest, like he's like.
Speaker 1: These are the kind of guys that I love.
Speaker 6: Dave Yon Mitchell, like they called him off night in college because when he guards, the other guys have off nights, and that comp was one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 6: Derek White, I think was a guy he mentioned as well who's had a tremendous path to get to where he is now with the Celtics as they head to the finals. So I liked that he was in touch and he wasn't delusional in that way. I don't question that the young man is willing to work. This draft class might be the opportunity that makes most sense, because you're not talking about a Victor Wembayama Zion or a ja I think you can get ready, you know what I'm saying. Like and if he has anybody, if he has the opportunity, his dad is Lebron, he gonna he gonna tell you what you need to do in terms of the work, and not just from the nepotism side, but literally from the work, because that's why thing Lebron has never cheated.
Speaker 2: Heit versus Brownie James one on one.
Speaker 1: You want to like, I'm gonna say Kaitlyn off of like go.
Speaker 6: Women, but like Also, what can they play horse horse horse? I'm taking Kaitlyn, okay, yeah, because she's gonna give you Steph crazy shots.
Speaker 2: I think one on one.
Speaker 1: I have not watched Bonnie close enough.
Speaker 6: I can't say okay, okay, but I'm just in my head a little more athleticism there that could be problematic.
Speaker 5: You said something earlier that was like you said, the person has to want to play ball, not the lifestyle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you gotta want to hoop. You gotta want to work and hoop. You can't just be an NBA player because of the lifestyle.
Speaker 5: I feel like you said that and I never even thought about it, But I feel like that's the majority of the league. It feels like a lot of these people are just into the lifestyle as opposed to.
Speaker 2: Wanting to go out there and really be the best.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the hell of a lifestyle. I ain't mad at him.
Speaker 6: If if you are talented enough that your talent keeps you afloat, then God bless you. Like I ain't that talented. I gotta work hard, Like you know what I'm saying, and I don't. That is a real like only you know, only well, I should say that only you and your teammates know who those types of guys are. But to me, the culture that Tibbs has built those guys off days, what are those I mean besides taking care of their bodies a medical but like the opportunity to go improve your game, Like a dude like Josh Hart can't survive playing three straight forty eight minute contests because he just skating off talent, Like even if the work is not necessarily on your feet, it's how you eat, is taking care of your body, like, you know what I mean? And this current Knix group is a really cool group of dudes that are willing to work.
Speaker 3: I think the NIXT team this year is gonna change the league a little bit.
Speaker 4: The way that they work, the way that they hustle, the way that they want minutes, the way that they dive on the floor.
Speaker 3: They look like old NBA, the way they play.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair.
Speaker 6: I think that's fair, and I think I in the last couple of years, y'all, I'm like, simple things should not be conflated with easy, right.
Speaker 1: It sounds simple to just play hard.
Speaker 6: And work out out work everybody, but that's not necessarily easy, you know what I'm saying when that's your identity, and I think that is what has allowed them to be so successful. But then you look at their leadership, whether you argue about top tip or in the minutes or not, you never gonna question his preparation. The same thing with Jason and Bruston has won at every level. You never gonna question his preparation. He's not gonna cheat the work, and so that sets the temperament of the entire team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what you said, that line you said made me think of even college with the nil right, because I'm like, what do you tell these youngins that are in school who have the talent, and they have the talent enough to make the millions of dollars that they're making, Like, what do you tell them to keep them motivated? Other than there's more money in the NBA. So it's like money is the motivation now?
Speaker 6: So I still lifestyle, right, Well, I think we could throw in like true love of the game, right, like for whatever may come with it. There are dudes in the league that we know just love the game, right, like Kyrie's on this renaissance store if you want to call it that. But like you never questioned whether he loved the game and his talent, right, it was some other stuff right, Like you look at a guy to me like Drew Holladay, I don't question that he loves the game. Jay Lebronhaw question Jason tato Oh, Like I don't question that those dudes love the game. Now, they might not always come to the podium spitting fire, like you know, being in tense, but like, I don't question that they love the game of basketball. And I think when you truly are in it not just for the love, but also to win at a high level. And I'm talking from my experience and I finished playing ball in college, Like, there is not a sacrifice that is too great when you're all.
Speaker 5: In you what are your early thoughts? You look like we' about to get a Boston, Dallas great cities.
Speaker 1: I'm happy about that.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm sad for Many and one of my home wisdom is part of the Many organization. But this is gonna be a great series. Like the security guard downstairs, like who you Got? And I was like, bro, I'm not already make picture yet, I can I'm not ready to make picks.
Speaker 1: I really feel like this is Boston's year.
Speaker 3: That has been playing though Dallas been balling.
Speaker 6: Dallas has been balling against the defense that can't deal. Boston has the pieces to deal right like Drew Holliday, I know, Defensive Player the Year Rudy Gobert, like respect it, but in terms of most versatile defenders, like if that was a separate award, Drew Halliday.
Speaker 1: Oj Nnoby, like those type of dudes that can guard went.
Speaker 3: Through five, who stops Kyrie?
Speaker 1: The team it's a collective.
Speaker 6: But listen to me, if if if they're running pick and roll right, Drew got switched with I don't know the first three.
Speaker 1: The other three guards right, Tatum.
Speaker 2: Brown, White, White.
Speaker 1: That ain't easy.
Speaker 6: Now, I'm not saying Kyrie still might not finish with thirty and I'm not saying Luca's not gonna hear some crazy shots, but they also got to go down the other end.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have to defend as a collective.
Speaker 6: Now, Dallas's defense has been a lot better than I think folks gave a credit for, particularly after those trades.
Speaker 1: And I love the hunger that PJ.
Speaker 6: Washington and Daniel gafferd have brought to that team, coming from organizations that wasn't doing nothing. But at the same time, like the chess match of this might very well come down to Missoula and Jason Kidd on the sideline, right, Like you got Drew Halliday who has won, you got Kyrie who has won. Both won alongside time faces of the league type of guys, respectively. So there's an experience there as a collective. But ofn't been to a few finals a couple at this point, right, so like they get it. And as much as Kyrie experience, Kyrie's experience is powering the MAVs, Like what does the rest of that group look like on the biggest.
Speaker 1: Stage, assuming that they're going to get there? We're not.
Speaker 6: We don't count Minnesota all the way out till they all the way out. But I'm excited for this finals. I'm really excited for this final and this finals. If these if the conference finals end in five, like this is going seven.
Speaker 1: This is going to be so much fun.
Speaker 6: Kyrie the villain back at the team. He was once a part of the logo, right, Christaphrazinger gets healthy. He was in Dallas at one point like this, I'm excited for this.
Speaker 3: One question, what's your thoughts on the gambling of the NBA.
Speaker 1: Now I hate it.
Speaker 3: That was why.
Speaker 1: I just think it's dangerous. And even this year when.
Speaker 6: The Porter Kid had his episode, I just was like, I understand making an example, but literally, whether it's insert gambling property here, the.
Speaker 1: Tagline of the commercial is and suard effects and if you need help, call on gambling.
Speaker 6: So now we're gonna like we're not presenting something that comes with the cautionary tail, and now this dude gets no grace. I felt like that was incredibly unfair. I also think that besides, like.
Speaker 4: He was the example. Though he was the example. He wasn't a big player where it would hurt. He was the example.
Speaker 6: I feel you envy, but you really gonna roll us out with the caution tape and then I have no grace because.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't do that to the point they wouldn't do a bigger star. Yeah, absolutely not.
Speaker 6: Then you have zero grace, Like if this is if this actually could turn into a problem, we're just gonna skip the part that you might have a problem, and you just got to be then example. I thought that that was heavy handed and unfair. I do get it though, but like I thought it was heavy handed affair in general, it's also changing the dynamics between these players and fans in such a crazy way.
Speaker 4: I hate it because now you've got fans and they're talking about one more bad I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what you know?
Speaker 3: I mean one more rebaild. I gotta get my pall later.
Speaker 1: It's like, what come on?
Speaker 6: Like, I love my cousin. It's clueless about sports. Send me Probably it's talk about something grum trut went little dollar. I'm like, I cannot, I cannot like. And I get it, like engaging more money for the league, all that good stuff, But I really think we are entering very murky space, particularly college space.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like, m hm, I'm not a fan.
Speaker 2: You don't trust the integrity of players.
Speaker 6: I trust the integrity of players, But I think it's only adding more pressure to what is already a pressure cooker.
Speaker 1: You got you right, because now.
Speaker 6: If first of all, anybody sitting on the court and I can hear you hollering about your parlor.
Speaker 1: You paid a grip for them tickets. I don't know what your relationship with gambling is.
Speaker 6: You hollering at players we already got you know, you saying X y Z the wrong thing? Like a player can turn to a rep and be like, you know, they gotta go. It just creates more attension in my mind that just doesn't need to be there. Sports are already emotional enough, and then you talking about people's.
Speaker 4: Money, oh god, or a play that's not making a lot of money, like like what happened with Porter and say, you know what, I'm a Paul lady is when I scored ten points, I'm sick.
Speaker 3: I need to come out the game.
Speaker 6: Which is why I understand why he had to be made an example, because there can be no room for that. But even we just started talking about officiating, right, like gambling is just putting so much more pressure on everything that's right everything.
Speaker 5: Is it true that you got engaged and not your phone in the water?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true.
Speaker 6: He was recording no no, no, I didn'tkno get in the water. We were in Grenada. Some of our best pictures have come on, like self timer, and he timed it and got on one knee on a self timer. Then the wave came and knocked the phone over. So before I can say yes, I'm like your phone and he's like is that yes? So I'm like yeah, but your phone, like we need that.
Speaker 1: It was a really fun, great moment, good story.
Speaker 2: Like you didn't look at that as a sign, Like, oh my god, that I did.
Speaker 6: Not look at that as a sign. I was like very shocked in the moment. No, no chance that that was a sign. If anything, the phone was able to recover. Thus the signs that we will navigate adversity together.
Speaker 2: Oooh okay.
Speaker 3: I like turning that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 5: Is it tough balancing a career and a relationship because they like to tell women you can't have it all.
Speaker 1: My fiance is amazing and we're both in sports, so he gets it. We get it. Is it tough?
Speaker 6: Yeah, anything worth happening is tough. Is it tough maintaining your relationships?
Speaker 2: To y'all?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? In your career? And so I think it's funny, y'all.
Speaker 6: I hear my mom and my aunts and my grandmother is more in the last year than I think I ever have it. Just that one line, keep on living, right, I know, y'all, you know what I'm saying. I know we all heard that, right, keep on living? And I think the closer I get to both my dreams professionally and personally, I'm like, oh, this is what they're talking about. It's beautiful and I'm excited, but there is a level of energy and maintenance required so that these things are healthy that you can't skirt, you know what I mean. And so, yes, it's tough, but I'm absolutely enjoying it and I'm so thankful to have a partner that gets it. We you know, really starting to have the conversations about family planning and what that looks like because we're all over the place with our jobs and so those are not always comfortable conversations.
Speaker 1: But the beauty of it is.
Speaker 6: And one of the reasons that I felt for him was like I realized very early, like this is the type of teammate and partner that I want to do life with. It ain't always going to be easy, but I want to figure it out with you.
Speaker 5: We had a little rel up here, and a little rel said, you should focus on the marriage, not the wedding. He said, so many people focus on the wedding, but not what the actual marriage will entail, what the marriage will look like.
Speaker 6: A man retweet I agree, Now, granted, my wedding, my wedding plan on Mliss Williams is amazing.
Speaker 1: It's going to beautiful.
Speaker 6: But we are also very intentional about working on our foundation beyond that, Like that's a day. I think the older you get people jobs all across the country, family members getting older. We really wanted a moment for everybody to celebrate, but we are not naive that that's just the day to celebrate, and there's a real substance and foundation that we're building now.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know how tall your fiance is.
Speaker 1: How tall is he? He's six?
Speaker 2: For he's six?
Speaker 1: Okay? Would you have.
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: He got an NBA player name, but no, he's not in bare Players association he works with. He's not an ex, he's not a player. He is my high I know where you're going with this.
Speaker 4: No, But the reason I say that is Charlemagne always says that, you know, women told women should date short man and always say he's too short.
Speaker 3: He always feels a way because he says short man.
Speaker 2: He's just making this.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll get it straight.
Speaker 2: Do you want to ask.
Speaker 4: You're making you would you have a date a guy as small as Charlamage Because a lot of times tall women don't date that much shorter.
Speaker 6: So I think, Charlemagne, you're a little short for me. But I have opened my mind too short. And my fiance knows this, like there was a time in my life and I can remember me and my best friend like we was hoop girls. He's like girl six threes the minimum, like maybe six seven would be amazing, like whatever, whatever.
Speaker 1: My fiance is six foot like and for me, I had to be five two, No, probably not.
Speaker 6: I had to get to a very real place where it was like what matters. And my therapist, she gave me this project. She's like your ABC list. I've applied this to relationships, work, friendships, the whole bit, like what what have you had in the past.
Speaker 1: What do you fall for?
Speaker 6: And what are the actual non negotiables? And my fiance checked all the non negotiables and I was like, all right, bet, Like height is not as big.
Speaker 1: A deal as I thought it was.
Speaker 5: I'm not about to argue with you about missing your blessings because you haven't missed any you got you got a great.
Speaker 1: You got a great Yes, I got it it.
Speaker 6: Great things coming small packages. I will give you that for sure. Yes, But I just think there is that is a very personal decision. Like I have had friends that are my girl.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it. True, It's true.
Speaker 4: My sister is extreme and you might have your blessing because she was like when I wear heels, I tower over and I she didn't want to date anybody, you know, Charlomagne's.
Speaker 2: Dating is a very personal.
Speaker 1: It is a person decision.
Speaker 6: It is bro I I have heels that I'm taller than my fiance and and he's fine with it. And I found that to be something that I loved as we continue to get to know one another and got deeper in our relationship because I've dated taller dudes. I still wasn't as tall as you, but they didn't like how tall I wasn't heels right, and so like what I'm supposed to do. I want to feel good too, and so like he's like, if you feel good, I'm good, let's go, let's grow. And that's important. But I have heard women equate the height things to feel and protected, which I did.
Speaker 2: I get. I don't fight, I get it, I do get it.
Speaker 6: But almost like society are we in where you got a lot to drop your bat, Like, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Tell us about your nonprofit Grow Our Game.
Speaker 6: Okay, so that's actually my homegirl Jones shout out to her true New Yorker.
Speaker 1: She's a hooper referee.
Speaker 6: She runs the organization Grow Our Game, which is basically keeping girls in sport from the age I think her baby. Her youngest babies are four all the way up to thirteen, and they have activations all through the city. They work out a lot in Harlem, but the parents are in. Sea's energy is undeniable. She's effervescent, the kind of girl that got the zest for life and is just using sports as a vehicle to help these young women grow and develop in their confidence. At the end of every practice, that usually wrap it up with affirmations, you are kind, you are smart, you are beautiful, and you could do anything. And I think it's about using sport as a vehicle. And I know I'm a product of the power of sports for women. But at the same time, she has helped some young women go on to play D one college ball, and I think that is beautiful. And so the things that sport gave me, y'all, in terms of confidence, friendship, the ability to communicate. All of those are foundational to life, whether you go on and play at a high level or not. And so it's been such a blessing to be able to help put Grow our Game on and partner with them in that work. The girl's got a ton of interergy. It's some hooper's in there. The parents are about it and like, like I said, my girl she's whoo. She is always on energy, bunny like and I just love her passion for life.
Speaker 2: How do we support that?
Speaker 6: She's all you can follow on Instagram Grow our Game. The logo is GOG and it's a black and white logo. Make sure you got the right one. Definitely top in there. I'm sure there's links there to donate and get involved, and I'm always kind of trying to shout them out.
Speaker 1: So it's super dope.
Speaker 5: I want to have one more question, what do you think about this new media world that we live in where you have, you know, the athletes hosting podcast, athletes hosting the YouTube.
Speaker 2: Shows like you.
Speaker 5: What do you think of that and how is that impacting traditional outlets like the ESPN.
Speaker 6: I love hearing directly from athletes now. I will also say, as someone in the media. I also shut it all down on purpose just because I need to recharge, right, and I'm sure y'all can relate to that. I think there are more players, both men and women, that are interested in doing it and giving a true behind the scenes lens than there are interested in. Maybe creating petty beef is a nonsense, right, but the idea of accountability, I'm okay with that, Like you cannot fire off at the hip and not expect anybody to say anything right or not expect anybody to respond. And so I know because I can remember in journalism school, like as this was starting to change and Twitter was released or ex was really starting to get popular, some of the og writers were kind of like I used to be a newsbreaker. Now guys can break their own news. And I still think there's space for relationships and healthy relationships with trained journalists. But I also think it's okay to hear directly front players on their experience. I mean, whether you like or Draymond Green or not, Like his podcast is captivating, particularly after something happened in the game he got address it, like those are the pods.
Speaker 1: That have the best numbers.
Speaker 6: I mean, you look at a guy like jj Reddick, right, who was an athlete, has really delved in embraced the media thing. And who knows what his next chapter may be, whether he wants to go on to the peak millennial. You can have as many careers as you want, So I think it's cool. I think it's cool. I think it still needs to be done with respect. And if you really got an issue, people front facing are not hard to find. They got managers and teams, Like, everything doesn't necessarily have to be addressed over the public media.
Speaker 5: One last question, as a journalist, what is the number one mistake that people in new media are making?
Speaker 2: Because you're you're a journalist, yeah right, So what do you think the number one mistake?
Speaker 5: And I'm not talking about just even with the sports, just in general, all of these people with podcast, YouTube platforms and everything.
Speaker 6: You think so, and this is where you got to define yourself, right, Like are you trying to fall into the journalism category or the discussion category? Because credibility is so fragile, right, It's easily broken and it's hard to restore it. So I think whatever wherever you are, be mindful of your credibility, right, Like, if you want to talk about a hot button issue, do the appropriate research, or if you're just going glaze over it, you need to be very clear. This is just high level. I'm not the source on this, Like I'm just touching it because I think what you can do inadvertently not just credibility with like your audience, but if you want to matriculate, say say in sports, like you got people that you have to work with that are looking at you like what are your actual intentions here? Like you're trying to go viral? Are you trying to respect the craft? And so I think credibility is something that you have to keep top of mind.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, Monica, we appreciate you joining us.
Speaker 2: No okay, no, no no.
Speaker 6: If we get a game five, I will be out in Minnesota. If not, I'll probably be chilling until we get ready for finals and I'll be out there.
Speaker 3: Well it's Monica Minutte.
Speaker 2: How did it follow you?
Speaker 1: Socials? Is mckna Monica? Same on everything?
Speaker 3: All right, It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club