Speaker 1: Here's a reminder. We are doing the Brown Ambition one year anniversary contest and we want everyone to send us emails and tell us what Brown Ambition means to you and you could win a free dinner in New York City with me and Tiffany in September. So send your submissions. The deadline, I believe is the end of this week and winners will be announced next week and we just would love to treat you guys.
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell them what they because someone did ask me what date?
Speaker 1: Now that we pick the date, Oh, the date of the dinner would be September sixteenth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what time? Like what like seven.
Speaker 1: Fifth or seven pm ish evening time? Ish? It's going to do one of those things where we find out when everyone's free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's Friday. That's a Friday.
Speaker 1: It's a Friday, September sixteenth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At Delicious Popo.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Popo. Honestly that even if you don't want to see me and Mandy, you want to eat that food, the chicken.
Speaker 3: Everything, literally everything, It doesn't even make sense. Somebody's grandmother is like it's like she must sleep in the kitchen there and just wakes up and just cooks because the food is like poochao, you just gotta love it. So yeah, so we hope to see you and we want to you know, hung up on you talk talk, you know, a brown girl smiles and all that kind of fun stuff. So definitely email us what Brown Ambition means to you at Brown Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Brown Ambition, Brown Ambition.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a like threes company, Like remember did you ever used to watch Three's.
Speaker 1: Company have a knock on my door? No?
Speaker 2: No, take us up?
Speaker 1: That is that's all I all. I think I learned that from an episode of Full House possibly it was like very meta and never actually watched an episode.
Speaker 3: Right, That's like I didn't know until I got older that like the Brady Bunch was from like years before I didn't. You know, as a kid, you don't think about why these kids wearing mail bottoms. You're just like, whatever, that's true, you know, and you're like, oh, did you go you were just in San.
Speaker 1: Fran right, yes, Also, welcome to Brown Ambition. If you didn't catch it, this is the show you're listening to.
Speaker 2: Our Man, Our poor manners, Our poor.
Speaker 1: Man is how how dare we. Yeah, I was just an SF. The locals call it SF, so that's what I'm going to call it. Oh excuse me, I've been twice, so that's what I qualify as. Oh okay, okay, yeah, no, that wasn't serious. I'm not a local at all. It's it was good. I was like a workation, okay, where you work, but then you try to have fun at the same time, which was new for me. Yeah. I did have a really good time like work. During the day, I actually was mooching off my best friend who just got a really sweet job at LinkedIn and got to go check out their offices, which are I don't know, you know. It just makes me like think back on my Silicon Valley days at the good old Yahoo because just when I tell you this cafeteria, I had the best Indian food I've had pretty much anywhere at the LinkedIn cafeteria, Like it was delicials. Yeah, they had the Poppa Doom, which is like crunchy, like crackery bread type thing and like buttered chicken. But then they also had a barbecue area. It was just like the Land of Riches and like a rooftop area, and then an ice cream bar every day at two pm.
Speaker 2: That's just fattening, Like, that's not even right.
Speaker 1: I literally stayed there from noon until four pm. I was just like, I guess I'll just stay here, read my booth on the rooftop and a nice view of downtown and I went. You know, I didn't partake in the ice cream social because you know, malactose, but they have like Eminem's on tap and just like just nuttiness. Like I had to get out of there at the end of that. I'm like, this is not natural, this is not okay. I need to go back to reality.
Speaker 2: Does everybody overweight? There?
Speaker 1: No, everyone, It's California. Everyone's like thin and like active. I'm sure they all like rode their bikes to work. I don't know. But what I like the most about SP is the weather though, because like it must be the most boring job in the world to be a meteorologist in San Francisco, because you're just like, well, the same as it was yesterday, folks, and that's your forecast by like it's the same every day. It's like fifty five with the highest sixty two. But we did we went out and did something I always wanted to do, which was Napa Valley. We went on a wine tour.
Speaker 2: Oh aren't you very almost thirty?
Speaker 1: It was very fancy. Well, whenever I like doing tours where like you get a driver because it's actually on a wine tour, because you don't want to be designated driver. You want to enjoy yourself and you don't want to worry about directions and that kind of stuff. So we did this nice tour through the a dot com which I think is owned by trip Advisor. But we're The average age of the van was basically like sixty six, and me and my friend were like, hella, la la. Yeah, it was funny, but we had a great, great time, very fancy pants.
Speaker 2: I like, sanfriend, did you do the trolley?
Speaker 1: Yes? We did? Why is that so exciting? Like, yes, we did the trolley. She dragged me this seven dollars. I'm like, why am I paying seven dollars to go to First of all, we had to pay two dollars to get to the trolley, took the bus to the trolley just to hop on the trolley and pay seven more dollars just to ride up the hills and the opposite direction where we needed to go. That we could get off and then pay for an uber back to where we needed to go.
Speaker 2: So you can say I hit the trolley. I would.
Speaker 3: So I'm very touristy, honestly, like embarrassingly, so whenever I go places, I'm always like, what's the torsy things I can do? So I did the trolley. In San France, I had to run a bike and I.
Speaker 2: Rode over the Golden Gay Bridge.
Speaker 1: Oh you did, I've driven over. I didn't ride my bike over it, though.
Speaker 2: It was much windier than I anticipated.
Speaker 1: How did they windy city it is?
Speaker 2: I was like, so I'm freezing every.
Speaker 1: And every corner is a different climate in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Yes, And then like you like, so one we went to the Pere Fisherman' Dwarf. Well not we, I was by myself, but I went to Fisherman's Wharf, which is cool. It's like, you know, a port or I don't know, like.
Speaker 2: Not really a beach, but it's just like a like the sea, That's what it seems like. But then you have downtown and then you have beaches.
Speaker 3: Honestly, San France is one of my favorite American cities. I even did the Crookedest Road in America.
Speaker 1: A Lombard Street.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was like, oh my god, I'm doing everything. It's just I had such a good time. I you know, they have a Mere Woods which is beautiful redwood forest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd gone like we did a uh fiance and I went a couple of years ago and did like the big road trip up the Pacific Coastal Highway, and so we hit all we hit all the big stuff in San Francisco, like during that trip, like we went to the Redwood Forest, we did all the the Lombard Street and like the pier and that kind of stuff. So this time I like to like get all that stuff out of the way in one visit. Yeah, and then and then come back and just focus on the food.
Speaker 2: They have very very very good food.
Speaker 3: I think San France is known for their Asian food, isn't it like Indian food and Thai food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god. We had the most amazing We were in the Mission District, which is like the Latino heavy neighborhood, but we had the best Thai food there. Randomly, but yeah, it has like they have Japan towne China Town. Really good food, really really good food, and even better I didn't pay for my flight because I had points points points points.
Speaker 2: I'm actually going away to for my birthday.
Speaker 3: I finally booked my birthday trip pre birthday trip because you know, Superman, we're counting on you to make this birthday special.
Speaker 2: If you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Oh, I forgot the other day.
Speaker 3: It was like, so at this point, he's given up on trying to even be like a surprise or anything.
Speaker 2: He's like, so send me pictures of rings.
Speaker 1: You like, what come play the charade.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, I'll just Sendrina with you. He's like, no, I could do it. I'm like, yeah, I will send with you.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, I'm sure it'll be a surprise when it happens, but at least we're moving in the right direction.
Speaker 1: So I decided to go for your trip.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to go to Paris and Prague. Pep oh cool. I know.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to go to Prague.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 3: And so a friend of mine, I've always wanted to go to Paris. I mean, I've been to France before. I've been to the French Riviera, Cannes and stuff, but I've never gone to Paris. And a friend of mine cool. She's like my favorite travel partner because we have like identical travel like emos, you know, like she's very easy going. She likes walking. I like to do a lot of walking. She's very like, you know, we can either do a lot or little.
Speaker 2: I don't. She's just a perfect travel.
Speaker 1: Partner, like those are hard to come by, it.
Speaker 3: Is, And it's so weird because we live in the same city and we never hang out.
Speaker 2: Like she's like we're friends, like hey.
Speaker 3: Girl, hey, but we don't hang out. But when it's time to travel, I'm like, Madeline, are you ready. She actually has a company called Traveling Mad where she like helps kids travel. So she helps like college kids do like exchange programs, and she also tries to get kids, especially in urban areas, like their first passport stamp.
Speaker 2: So she's dope.
Speaker 3: So she actually went to Paris for her masters and lived there for a number of years. Speaks French fluently, and like, so I'm excited to go to Paris with her so i can do touristy things, but then I can also do like, you know, not super touristy things. And then Prague is a new place for her and I've never been either so.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: We'll be for about a week, like seven days, seven seven eight full days, so it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Oh fun times. That's October.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna I'll be going in the first week, first or second week of October.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yep. So I'm excited because I was like, yes, finally, we've been trying to go to Paris for the longest.
Speaker 3: We missed out on super cheap tickets round trip from Newark for two fifty last year, and we nearly cried tea years.
Speaker 1: I tell you, it's the worst.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. And I was just like, h and I really want to go back to Santorini. That is like like one of my friends.
Speaker 2: It was just there. Her name is Amita.
Speaker 3: I want to go yeah, ah, Mandy when I tell you, oh mg, like Santorini is either like perfect for your girlfriends or perfect for like romantic place for boo.
Speaker 1: I'm working. I'm working on that honeymoon honeymoon fund savings fund right now?
Speaker 2: Is that where you want to go? Where do you want to go for honey.
Speaker 1: We haven't decided. We're looking at Europe, but really it's going to come down to where do the points take us? Okay, but I think I think Europe's gonna happen. We've talked about Cuba, but that got put on the back burner. I'm thinking Europe. I just want to go somewhere like really cheesy, romantical that you'll like, you know, like just embrace the like where would Audrey hepburn.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to Paris?
Speaker 1: I have, but when I was younger, not as like a grown up, and I'd love to go there, but I kind of want something more remote and not so like, uh you know, big city like exhausting. I don't want to be like exhausted.
Speaker 2: Okay, so like not like I Abizza.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to like be uts utzing I was every night. Is not what they do there.
Speaker 3: You know it's so crazy, but because it so as I said it, Bizza in my mind, I was like dancing like I.
Speaker 1: Took a No, I don't want to take any pills. Now, thinking of the US, did you watch I know I know the answer, but didn't you watch the VMA's last night?
Speaker 2: I actually did not.
Speaker 1: I watched Shocker.
Speaker 2: Wow, you thought you knew I wasn't gonna watch it.
Speaker 1: I barely knew half the people. I was like looking through the slideshow of VMA's like red carpet arrivals barely after Beyonce, I was like, and who do what A what?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 3: I was like, so I figured like I didn't even realize they were on, and so like I was like, what was I doing last night? I think honestly, I I think I was just like reading like old lady. And then I happened to look on Facebook and I was like, oh, the umuz is on. But I'm like, yeah, I don't care. I'll just watch the clips that people tell me I should see. So art strategy, right. I saw Beyonce. Obviously she's played, she did a full concert. She was amazing. Rihanna was Okay, So let's talk about Tianna Taylor in that body?
Speaker 1: O my god, is there a personal finance angle here? How much money would it cost you to spend on a gym membership to get that body?
Speaker 2: I mean, this woman had a baby.
Speaker 3: A baby, A full human being came out of this woman's body.
Speaker 2: She is like magnificently made.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, this, but you know, she's like just the perfect size of like not super skinny, not like overly muscular. She's just like just God was like, We're gonna give you this thing, and no one else in the world will happen.
Speaker 2: Here. You go be blessed and bless others. And she did.
Speaker 1: And if you missed it last night, and you guys are scratching her head. So she starred in Kanye West's new video for a Fade. Yeah, and we won't even mention the speech, his little speech he gave before. He just like he should just hit play on the video.
Speaker 3: I didn't even fotch. I was just like, like I said, I just caught the clips. I watched Beyonce, I watched her. I didn't even watch Brittany. I heard it was a little sad to watch, especially post Beyonce, so I didn't want to do it to myself.
Speaker 1: Brittany came after Beyonce.
Speaker 2: I know, why would they They played her. That's called the setup.
Speaker 1: You don't have friends, I mean, Brittany just like gotta know your lane, go back, you know, stay in Vegas.
Speaker 2: M I mean, Brittany still don't like.
Speaker 3: I mean, I grew up with like, you know, hit me baby one more time, so you know I'm feeling her.
Speaker 1: She's faded. It's not the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not. But did you see Drake Drake profressing his love for Rihanna? I was like, oh, I I.
Speaker 1: Also didn't watch. I don't know why I even brought it up, but no, I didn't see it.
Speaker 2: I read.
Speaker 1: I read the headline. Though he loves her, Drake just looks too much like my little brother. I have a really hard time like looking at him because everyone's like, oh my god, Drake, like huh so sexy, but he looks exactly like my baby brother, and I can't handle it. I can't.
Speaker 3: But there's some bran ambish and listeners that are like, so, wait, so where's your baby brother located?
Speaker 1: Except my brother is smarter, wiser and has beautiful Chris green eyes and lady he is newly single. Now that I mention it, that's gross. Never mind, I'm not as pim. I don't mind around. But he but my my little brother, Alex is his name. He he had like a little rap career in college and he just like couldn't deal with the drake he got, I think, the drake of comparisons. And to this day he just walks down the Streeople be drake at him. I think it bothered him so much he just like put it on the table. But he was really talented. It's a little rap hip hop career. I digress, just bab but it was it was it was cute.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I said, I I felt like from what I could understand that the the VMA seemed like, you know, people enjoyed them, although I did not partake, but you know, it was cool.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of MTV and youth, actually there's no good segue for this. I really want to talk about the EpiPen controversy. Have you been following this? Yes, there's those yeah for an EpiPen. So and you know what's crazy. I you always hear about EpiPens and allergies and stuff and that kind of thing. But I didn't realize how many of my friends and family RELI on EpiPens for their kids or like for themselves, and how how how important they are. And so this company, Mylon, they like doubled the price of EpiPens to like six hundred dollars and even if you had a coupon, it was still like my my cousin's wife said that even with a coupon, it was still one hundred and fifty dollars for the EpiPen, which is like all that stand between someone in death, like if they have an allergy, you.
Speaker 2: Know, which is crazy, and.
Speaker 1: There's all this controversy. I even saw Sarah Jessica Parker, so apparently her son has a peanut allergy, and she was like a spokesperson for this company, and then she like posts on Instagram you know, I'm no longer going to be affiliated with them, and like denounced it, and it looks like today I think I'm pretty sure that they decided to lower the price by fifty percent and response to like all the controversy.
Speaker 3: Because that's just I mean, like you said, this is life saving medicine, and you're putting someone in a position to say I'm just going to have to die because I don't have it like that, doesn't you know what I mean? Like, how does someone sleep? I was just talking to him about Superman. I was like about it earlier, and I'm like this, I bet I get that you have to make a profit, but how does one sleep at night knowing that you are sentencing some people to death because you know, because of profit and I get that money has to be made, but at what costs?
Speaker 2: When does it when does it become okay too much?
Speaker 1: Well, this is this is a really crazy thing, the fact that they so they're basically releasing a cheaper version, a generic version of the EpiPen in the next couple of weeks and response to all this controversy. So it's going to cost three hundred dollars versus the six hundred dollars for the name brand, but they're still going to offer the name brand. And here's what people don't realize, Like, so if your insurance covers the EpiPen, like they're there's still these these pharmaceutical companies are still offering them more expensive one because they know if you don't pay attention you're insurance, you'll just put you'll fill the prescription for the brand name EpiPen, and your insurance company will pay for it and they're still going to get their money. So that's why they have these like two different same thing, different prices. And this has always like pissed me off, But recently I got stuck. So I was picking up my monthly supply of Lady Pills. You know what I'm talking about. And I went to the drug store and I had new insurance for the first time, and they told me my prescription was going to be one hundred and thirty five dollars and I was like, say what to who? What about Obamacare? This should be free? But it was like it was like the end of the day. I tried calling my insurance company. They were hanged. They had closed at six pm, and it was I needed to start this new cycle because I'm on you know, a schedule or whatever. So I was just like, screw it, here, here's my money. I'll figure it out later. I ended up calling and it turns out my doctor messed up, so there's I'll just go ahead and say so, of course I'm talking about birth control. But there's two versions of birth control that I could have been prescribed. One is called Yazz, which is like the name brand one. The other one created the other one by the same company, is called Yazmina. And so when my doctor sent in the prescription, they mistakenly put Yazz instead of Yasmina or I don't know if they thought yas was short for Yasmina. They got confused by the drug company, and so I was given the name brand prescription and thought I had to pay one hundred and thirty five dollars when all along, if they had just put Yazmina the generic, I would have had to pay zero dollars and by the way, would have gotten three cycles for free, like for three months supply for free. And I was just so mad that that that that drug companies do that, and it's it's like for all drugs, you know, there's always a more inexpensive generic, but so long as they know insurance companies will pay for the more expensive one, they just continue to market them.
Speaker 2: Yep, you're right. And it's just a shame because you know, I forget who was that guy.
Speaker 3: Remember there was a guy who was a super jerk and he had a number of medicines that he jacked up the price like seven something.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous in sc Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: He laughed all his way all like like they had him like you know, testify before like send it, and all of a sudden, basically he thought it was a joke and he laughed and he.
Speaker 1: He's way all the way to jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh he's in jail now.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was, oh yeah, he was like it was something else. It was he had like misled misled investors company or something like that. But yeah, he's well, look.
Speaker 3: At God, Look at God. A baby and teenage Jesus working in our favor.
Speaker 1: Said, yeah, yeah, I think that this EpiPen company just saw the writing on the wall. I don't think. I think after this whole Martin screlly nonsense. And that was for a cancer drug. Yes, I remember that even worse, I would say. Anyway, so boo drug companies. I should have saved that from my brown Boost. But I digress. I'm sure you guys have crazy drug insurance stories out there. It is just it's a nightmare. So if you guys have questions or stories you want to share, feel free to email us at Brian Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: And you know, it was funny because I was just talking to Linda, my best friend, today and one of my best friends and a friend of mine text me. He said, hey, Tiffany, he saw my post about my friend Breathe that passed away from diabetes and how Linda and I were working on getting her services. And he was like, one of my friends, his mother has had a stroke and she needs services.
Speaker 2: And I told Linda.
Speaker 3: Like we need to create like a because I was just asking her and passing because Linda went to school for social work and she's an advocate, and she just had so many resources of like, oh, girl.
Speaker 2: Tell them to call this, tell them to say this, tell them.
Speaker 3: To ask for that. And I'm like, why people you don't know the stuff? She said, No, they don't, and they don't know how to advocate. So I'm really trying to get Linda to like, because she's pretty, like, you know, chill and quiet, to like speak and share.
Speaker 2: So whether I do like some sort of free workshop.
Speaker 4: So because if you need help and you're not able to provide for yourself of basic health care, there are all of these resources, like if you can't go food shopping for yourself, they will send somebody to cook.
Speaker 2: For you, food shop for you, drive you around all of this stuff. But most people don't do it.
Speaker 3: And if you don't push and you're not persistent because you know they don't.
Speaker 2: Want to pay for it. But by law, that is you're right you have access to that.
Speaker 3: And Linda was like, girl, like, if you need medicine, she was like, there are laws in place that you will you must receive them you have to jump through some hoops.
Speaker 2: But she was like they're in place, and I was just like wow.
Speaker 3: She So I'm trying to get like, you know, I don't know when I create some sort of spreadsheet or some sort of like one sheet of things you can do, because I feel like if more people knew, you wouldn't especially if you have health issues, borring anything. I don't know about any major health issues when I As you get older, you know, your parents are getting older. Like I'm in my mid thirties now, my dad is in his mid seventies, and I'm like, okay, Like you know, I'm grateful that he is he doesn't have any major health issues, but I mean, how long does that last?
Speaker 2: He's in his mid seventies.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I think it's only a matter of time. For some it's someone in your life, you know, it's something you're touched in some way by a medical crisis. And it's unfortunate that the system isn't set up to In a lot of ways, it is, but only if like you come prepared, You've got the insurance, you're prepared. If you're in a vulnerable position, it can it can destroy you. I mean how many cases of bankruptcy are caused by medical debt. I think it's over fifty percent. It's bad news bears.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, so yeah. I just think knowledge is key and that's why we do what we do.
Speaker 1: Are your favorite brown boosts, Brown Break.
Speaker 3: Yes, ground Break, ground Boots, ground Break, brown Boo Brama called the BB section. I'm trying to think should I boost or should I break?
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Break, but it's kind of like lighthearted. I'm gonna break take a brown break from unpaid invoices.
Speaker 1: What's what you heard about your money?
Speaker 3: I know, but you know, lighthearted like in a lord Like every entrepreneur, I know, we have a little key key gig along, like you know, invoices.
Speaker 2: Taking forever or you having to remind companies like hey girl, so you know you owe me right? And so today was like.
Speaker 3: Invoice day, So I like emailed everyone made some longe calls with my fake hey girl, hey voice to be like hey.
Speaker 2: Girl, where's my goddamn money?
Speaker 1: No, well, so for real, what is your like I think on the house of everyone out there who's like isn't getting paid and like wants to know, like what's strategy? How do you kindly nudge people to give you your money.
Speaker 3: So usually you know, you come up with a strategy before like the action takes place. So typically if it's a client that I have not worked with, either I ask for pre payment or ask for payment after like right there, so I've spoken today, and if I step off stage, check.
Speaker 2: Is handed to me. So that's usually what happened.
Speaker 3: But every once in a while, like I have clients who I've worked with, so they've paid so before, so they don't typically have to pay me like right here, right then, but sometimes they drag their feets because they're like old clients. So I'm like, girl, you know how this works. So I if the payment is due on the first I typically if I haven't gotten payment within like four or five days, then like I'll send a reminder email something like very passive aggressive, like hey, do you.
Speaker 2: Need anything else from me in order to expedite payment?
Speaker 1: Like do.
Speaker 2: You write and versus and so?
Speaker 3: And then usually is the right back of they won't and if they don't within if I don't hear back via email within two days, then I'll usually will pick up the phone and call and just say like, hey, what's going on? And even still sometimes you still have to a few days later call again or email again, and it usually doesn't take more than two or three emails for a client that's late. I have to say that I've never.
Speaker 2: Not gotten paid.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of my clients can't, a lot of my friends who are entrepreneurs can't say that. But there was one time that I was dangerously close, and it was eleven thousand dollars of not being paid. But I wrote the most sickening letter you have ever read.
Speaker 2: Ooh child, That letter is is stuff of legend.
Speaker 3: Still to the client that didn't want to pay, and they were a municipality, and they were I didn't know, but they were notorious for not paying. And I did not know that they had ordered a ton of books like I myself had to pay three thousand dollars for the books, like I think they ordered like eight hundred or.
Speaker 2: A thousand books or whatever.
Speaker 3: And then and on top of that, I spoke so all together they owed me eleven thousand hours.
Speaker 2: And I had been emailing them, emailing them, emailing them.
Speaker 3: Nothing, and so I ended up writing a letter where I highlighted every single name, like highlighted yellow every time I mentioned someone that I had spoken to, I highlighted and I said, see screen shot below exhibit A, just to show, like you know, just to show kind of like the paper trail, and I see Seed, the mayor, I see Seed, his staff, I see Seed, every council member, I see Seed, assembly people.
Speaker 2: I see see every.
Speaker 3: Body in power that I could think of that was not even related to my payment.
Speaker 2: But I just wanted them to know the shame of what was happening.
Speaker 3: And like I said, I bolded and highlighted every name of the person. It was only like three people who were kind of responsible for me not receiving payment. And I laid it on thick about how much I gave back to the city, how I had.
Speaker 2: Developed and all this other stuff, and how I had been working in the city for years and how why would.
Speaker 3: They do this, and you know, and and then I said, you know, this is my last ditch effort. I had even gotten the mayor's actually private email, like I can't even say where I got it from, because I was like I had people on the hunt, like go get his email to make sure he gets this, even though he didn't have anything really to do with this, And I said, you know, this is my last ditch effort to reach out for fair compensation for what I delivered before I go to the media.
Speaker 2: That was the last line.
Speaker 1: And they had.
Speaker 3: Already known me to be on TV sometimes and like it definitelyly and like major media outlets regularly.
Speaker 2: So I made sure to leave that. I left that lingering at the end, like live Richard.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: These are people who had.
Speaker 3: Not called me in months, Mandy, I mean, I don't even think about it. Took three minutes before my phone was therein you know, my phone was jumping he he hell up.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even decide who to answer first.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, hi, hey girl, Yes, oh that was inappropriate that email. And I was told that my email was inappropriate, and then by then I was like living.
Speaker 2: I said inappropriate.
Speaker 3: I said, why I know I was inappropriate the fact that I had been messaging you for months and the only reason why you're messaging me back is because I wrote that letter. I said, that's what's inappropriate. And the nerve of you to tell me I'm inappropriate for demanding payment, And she was just like the girl on the line was just like after stuttering, and I said, you know. And then then somebody else called and they said, you know, we can have your payment to you.
Speaker 2: You know, do you want to pick it up or do you want us to me?
Speaker 3: I said no, I'll pick it up, and they made the woman who had been shading me bring it and walk into my car like walk the walk of shame across the girl I was so shading me while I was in my gym clothes looking like a bomb. But I was like, you see me in my nineteen ninety nine Tolia to Camri, this check is.
Speaker 2: Worth more than my car.
Speaker 3: And I rolled down the window just enough for her to slip the check in, and I gave it a look like it didn't have to be like this, and I rolled.
Speaker 1: You brought this on yourself.
Speaker 3: But what it did teach me was one because I didn't want to demand payment, you know, like I felt like, well, but sometimes you have to. You have to stand up for yourself and don't wait till long. The longer you wait for your money, the less likely it is that you're going to get it. Do not let two weeks pass. So if you don't have it in a few days, reach back out. Two days after that, reach back out two days after that reach back out. It's better to be annoying because if you wait a month, people have moved on to other things. I once I waited nine months for a magazine publication to pay.
Speaker 2: Me my money. It was like six hundred bucks. It wasn't even like a whole lot.
Speaker 3: Of money, but nine months of bugging them, like, you know, out of principle, like give me my money. So yeah, so today's brown break is just unpaid invoices. And I just there's certain people who I would never ever work with again. Some people just you know, there was there was a mistake or whatever. But some people you just would never ever work with again.
Speaker 1: Good lesson. Yeah, I think a lot of people will find that usefuls Like send me that.
Speaker 2: Let a girl I need a template.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brown boost. I'm gonna do a boost because this was super helpful to me. And I know it's really awkward when you're traveling or hanging out with friends and you're spending it, like especially when you're going on like trips with someone like you going on your trip with your friend, like when you are like, oh I'll get this, and oh I'll get that, and then everything's a big fat mess at the end, and you don't feel like, you know, one person paid more than the other. So I started using this app called try Count TRII Count which and there's a couple others like it. I think the closest one to this one is called split wise. It's not the only app, but it's the one that I use, and I like it a lot. And you can create a like kind of like create an expense report and you put in like who's involved, and then you easily just add expenses to it, like Mandy paid for this uber. You know so and so paid for that dinner, and you say who and if you have more than like ten friends or a few friends, and like someone goes grocery shopping but only two people eat the food, then you can put so and so paid, and then so and so benefited from that, or you know it was for whoever. And at the end of it, it does all the math for you and it just easily says you, oh, Stephanie seventy five dollars, Stephanie Oh's Chris twenty five dollars, and it just like does it. And it's so nice and like democratized and like there's no awkwardness you know, it's like, well, trycount said, you owe me, so here, you know, give me the money and then you could just send a little express Spencer report to all your friends at the end and you know, venmo or whatever you do to send the money around.
Speaker 2: I like that try Count. Okay, it's t ri I.
Speaker 1: CEO n U t coo U NT.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you.
Speaker 3: Spell correctly, that's I mean, if you want to get tactical, if.
Speaker 1: You want to find the app, if you're interested. I've heard split wise is good too, but like I said, that's the only way I haven't used split wise. I've only used try count. It's it's basic. It gets the job done, and it makes everything less awkward, and there's no like you know, it just sucks when you have to get seventeen checks, you know. Yeah, yeah, just make sure your friends are good for it.
Speaker 2: No, but that's cool.
Speaker 3: I like that because you know, these days, as you get older, people pay for things and.
Speaker 2: You want to make sure you get your payment back, like I just did.
Speaker 3: There was an all white affair like like dinner en Blanc in my city, and I was like, I purchased like six tickets and then the people who were supposed to go, didn't end up going, but we were able to like get.
Speaker 2: Other people to tickets. And I'm still short because you're just like, ah, you know how.
Speaker 3: That works, you know it is, and you're just like you know, and after a while you're just like, you know what, forget it, you know, like, I'll just eat that twenty dollars. But you never know where things come from. You're like, but I thought, and everyone's like, no, I paid my money, so we should have used you know, we should have used Well. The lesson learned is one paying up front and then less than to try and counts.
Speaker 1: Less than three. Don't hang out with them anymore, don't make plans with you know, you go through life and you know the friends, you know the ones so you need payment up front. You love them, but you know they need you need retain or security deposit or whatever for the movies. Yeah, you all have.
Speaker 3: Those persts that you're like girl or the friends are always like, oh you got.
Speaker 2: This for me, and you're like the last prettycot. No, No, you.
Speaker 1: Know they're friends. Doesn't mean you're got to be friends. It just means you have to just the way you handle things with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like the type of friends that make you swipe your metro car, Like, girl, you got your metro car and you're like.
Speaker 1: You, that's a lot of money that adds up. It is, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not plenty any fingers, but you know who you are. It's a man the first week. So what are your what's your win this week?
Speaker 1: I have a win that I've been meaning to say and I keep forgetting, but I wanted to give this a shout out because if you listen to our show on Single Moms and the Amazing Single Mom Keona Harris, she took her daughter on a road trip cross country over the summer and one of the things they did on their road trip was volunteer at different organizations along the way, because you know, they couldn't be any more perfect. And she told me about one of the organizations that they helped out based in Cleveland by a woman named Kevenny Gilmore, and she started she basically grew up in foster care and when she was out of college age, you know, you age out of the system and you have to kind of just like go start your life. And she actually ends up having she basically went to college because she needed a place to live, and she was homeless on her summer, on her winter breaks and fall breaks and things like that. So she decided, you know, a lot of young people when they aged at foster care have nowhere to go. So she decided to buy a house and turn it into like a halfway house, kind of a home for foster children who have aged out of the system. I know, it was like a great initiative. It was called or it is called hashtag foster care with hashtag spelled out. Okay, But then I was reading on her about Keviny Gilmore and it turns out like this. This the house that she had bought and was preparing to turn into this little oasis for foster kids. It was ransacked and burglarized back in the spring, and people had come in and stole like all the copper wiring and like the hot water heaters. And it was a duplex, so they got double of everything and no just thousands of dollars that she lost. So if you have, you know, I just thought I would give her a shout out. I believe there's still raising money to help replace some of the things that were stolen from the house, and they have a go fund to me page up and you can just look up hashtag boster Care on GoFundMe and you can probably find your way there. We'll put a link on this week's blog post with the podcast too. But yeah, I was just it was like a yay, this is a win, but also it's sad when someone's trying to do some good in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm done.
Speaker 3: I'm going to donate just because I you know, it really is the the duty of those who have to help those who don't, and not just I'm not just talking about financially. I mean, you know, whatever gift that you have, you might be like, you know, I'm musically inclined. This person needs music in their life. But I feel like everyone has something that they can contribute, And if you can contribute to this amazing organization, then just imagine that. I always think to myself, just imagine like when I see Superman outside like playing with the kids and buying them pizza and school clothes, and like like the other day we got school clothes. Came to the house and I'm like, this is not supergirls school clothes color, And he looked all sheepish. He was like, oh no, that's for the girl next door. And I was like, oh, this is why I love you. Like who just buys random school clothes.
Speaker 2: The little girl next door told him the.
Speaker 3: Other day, I have a godfather, but you're my godfather now.
Speaker 2: Which I thought was alive. She knows where the money comes in from. She was like, yeah, capitalist yes, yes.
Speaker 3: She was like, so we've dropped him, just so we're clear, you're my godfather. And but just imagine if we all just took care of like the small circle of influence that you have, like just around you. Just imagine if people just did small acts of kindness like that, then you really could change and shift the world. You don't have to do huge overtures if you don't have it, just something as simple as you know, doing something nice to someone in your neighborhood and so corner.
Speaker 1: You do a little bit, and that's all this woman was trying to do. So So check out hashtag hashtag foster care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm definitely on a gam so I don't have a win, but I do have a book. So I am like really really big on like the like the laws that you've heard about obviously, like the law of attachment.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, the law of attraction, like the law of attachment, the law.
Speaker 5: Of attraction, you know, yeah, let me be wrong, Okay, Yeah, So for those of you who've ever heard of The Secret, the Secret talks about the law of attraction, which is based on it means the things that you think about you bring about.
Speaker 3: And there's all of these other spiritual laws. And so there's this great book. I just saw that someone had posted it on Facebook, and I always wondered, like, you know, where could I read more of some of the other laws, Like there's like the Law of detachment, which I like, and deprak Choper actually has a book called the Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, A Practical Guide to Fulfillment, to the fulfillment of your dreams. And so I'm excited because I really want to dig more into these laws.
Speaker 2: You know that because the law of attraction has worked so well.
Speaker 3: The Law of detachment I love, which just states that you're supposed to detach yourself from the outcome and just do good and just know that good is going to come. You don't know specifically in what way we returned to you, but in some way it will be. So you detach yourself from the outcome and that has helped significantly, Like especially like if I'm going out or you know, like maybe I'm going someplace with a friend, and you know, you're like, okay, in order for this party to be fun, I want to be able to do this, this, this, and this, and then if it doesn't happen, you kind of feel like, oh, I should have stayed home. But if you detach yourself from the specific outcome, you just say, you know what, I'm going to go out and enjoy myself whatever that looks like. And so that's one of my favorite laws, detachment of just allowing things to flow.
Speaker 1: The law of low expectations. No, I want to be happy in life. Lower It's so true though people don't want to hear it. But I'm like, lower than expectations college graduates. Maybe you won't make one hundred thousand dollars. How about that lower expectations.
Speaker 3: And so I'm just excited just to read it. It's like, for I got it on my kindle. It's apparently not that long. It's like an hour read, which so I mean I should be able to go through it.
Speaker 2: Pretty quickly if you have any cause I love reading.
Speaker 3: I have a wide range of the type of books I like to read, Like, I love romance novels, but then I also really like books like this the Law, you know, the Seven Spiritual Laws of Success. But I also love marketing books. So I'm really like I have a wide range of what I enjoy. So I would love if you have book suggestions of just a good book. I don't have any preferences. If you've read a really good book, please email us, share it, Tweet me at the Budgetista, tweet us is it the BA podcast?
Speaker 1: It is at the BA podcast?
Speaker 2: Yes, tweet yes at the BA podcast.
Speaker 3: Tweet Mandy Mandy with an I You're not Mandy Money, It's Mandy Woodroof on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And So, because I'm looking.
Speaker 3: Always to I have my Kindle with me always, and so sometimes I flips through and say, well.
Speaker 2: What do I feel like today?
Speaker 3: So I'd like to always have a ton of like unread books that I can get to at any moment.
Speaker 1: You too, School's back and sessions, So everyone get on them books.
Speaker 2: Now you gotta read, honey,