Speaker 1: All right, Dan, will you run the Humane League. It's one of the largest, arguably most effective animal welfare organizations in the world. And I would say generally animal welfare organizations have you know, sort of steered people into donat meat, go vegan. But you recently made a sort of heretical statement, which is saying that there's a place for meat eaters in the animal welfare movement. Now, before we get into why you said that, in your point, I want to sort of set the stage for people about animal welfare. I think we all sort of inherently know factory farming is bad, but like, what are the realities of what you're fighting for here? What does that actually mean and what happens in factory farming.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I agree with what you said.
Speaker 3: I think most people have some sense that factory farming is not good for animals, it's not good for the planet, it's not good for the people involved. What I don't think people have is a good understanding about a couple of things. I think one is the scale that factory farming operates at.
Speaker 2: You know, just in this.
Speaker 3: Country, in the US alone, at any given time, there are billions with a b billions of animals living in factory farming conditions.
Speaker 2: We can talk more about what those conditions look.
Speaker 3: Like, but that's like, you know, at any given time, the farm animal population of this planet far exceeds the human population, and by several times.
Speaker 2: So if you just think about.
Speaker 3: The scale of the individuals involved, I think people often just aren't quite connecting with that piece of it, right, and how much that's grown significantly over the past, like, you know, fifty seventy five years, even from when our grandparents were you.
Speaker 2: Know, we're around.
Speaker 3: Another thing that I think people don't really understand is the kind of depth of the suffering, right of the kind of how bad the welfare conditions are for animals on in industrialized agriculture.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of us, you know, a lot of us grew up with the Richard.
Speaker 3: Scarry type of book right where it's kind of like you've got happy animals grassy fields. It's not to say that doesn't exist, right in some parts of this country. You can drive through on the highway and you might see cows kind of out on a grassy field and think that seems fine, right, But those conditions represent you know, less than like three percent two percent.
Speaker 2: Right of the overall volume.
Speaker 3: Of animals that are living in agriculture at any given time, and for ninety seven ish percent of animals, the reality is very different from that.
Speaker 1: So we're talking to billions, you know, that are living in this different reality which we're about to get into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly that.
Speaker 3: And you know, you go to the farmer's marketing, you talk to the very nice farmer there. They're probably doing a great job, right and then taking animal welfare very seriously. But again, they make up a tiny fraction of the overall industry. And what the reality is for the majority of the industry and the majority of the animals involved, is an industrialized approach to agriculture and that means a couple of things. It means treating animals more like you know, farm equipment, right, like a track, right, then you would dog or a cat, right, And so that manifests in some different ways.
Speaker 2: That manifests primarily through extreme.
Speaker 3: Confinement conditions, right, housing animals in the smallest space that's economically viable to save money. Right, You save money that way by you know, overall operation costs, by the amount of feed that these animals eat, because they don't if they can't move around right, They don't burn a lot of calories, so they don't need a lot of feed. And there's multiple ways that that becomes economical for the industry. What that means for the animals, right, And to give one example is like in the egg industry, which we do a lot of work on at the Humane League.
Speaker 2: Most egg laying.
Speaker 3: Hens live their entire lives and what's called the battery cage, which is a cage about the size of a file cabinet fur where you'd see four to six animals living their entire.
Speaker 2: Lives from birth to death, never setting foot outside of it. In filings, people just like four to six, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Just think about opening your filing cabinet up and there's four heads living in entire lives in there. They never move right, animals aren't allowed they're not able to spread their wings, they're not able to move around right. So there's the obvious like physical right conditions and the suffering that that creates. There's also a sort of you know, a kind of mental toll that this takes on the animals, you know, who have rich inner lives the same as our cats and dogs do.
Speaker 2: Right. And then chickens, you know, to continue to have.
Speaker 3: Example, these are animals whose natural instincts tell them to nest, right, to build nests, the dust bathe to perch right.
Speaker 2: And you know, it might seem silly to us because we don't.
Speaker 3: Have those instincts, but for them, these are like very deeply rooted instinctual behaviors that they have. And there's a tremendous amount of mental suffering that goes into being having all those behaviors frustrated, right, and they're not able.
Speaker 2: To pursue them in the conditions that they live.
Speaker 3: Then the third thing that I would point to is the kind of social dynamics for these animals, right, Like, like we are, right, animals inherently social, right, and they're just stay you know, the farming environments don't recreate the same kinds of social structures, right, familial interactions that that animals would have.
Speaker 2: In most instances, when.
Speaker 3: Pregnant farmed animals give birth, the babies are separated from the mothers at the moment of birth, never to see them again. Right, And so in all these different ways, their inherent social structures are broken apart, and again a tremendous amount.
Speaker 2: Of stress and suffering comes with that.
Speaker 3: And just basically, these animals lives don't look anything like what they would look like in the wild, or even a close proximity to that. And when you think about the billions and billions of animals that are living in those conditions every day of their lives, every day of our lives, right, the scale of this issue, I really truly believe is a moral atrocity of historic proportions, right, And I firmly believe that there will come a time in the future, well we'll look back on this period of animal agriculture and see it as I think what a lot of us see it as today, which is a the historical mistake, right, and a moral failure on our part to kind of recognize that this is what we were doing and doing something. But we're not there yet obviously, But I think our work at the Human League and across the animal protection movement is to try to bring that moment about and try to accelerate our part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think some people have a point of view of well, they're animals, we're humans. They're different, they don't suffer like us. What do we know about animal's ability to suffer mentally? And physically, and then how does that actually manifest itself based on what either scientists or people with organizations like yours see in some of these factory farms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we do know that animals can, you know, scientifically proven too feel pain and suffer basically the same way that we do, particularly factories, you know, farmed animals, cows, chickens, pigs, central nervous system, rights, rebook, cortex. They have all the wiring right that they need to feel pain and suffer the same way that we do, the same way that caps it dogs do. Farm animals are more intelligent, I think than people give them credit for.
Speaker 2: Right, when you start.
Speaker 3: Thinking about the mental aguish Pigs are demonstrably smarter than dogs.
Speaker 2: And there's no disrespect to dogs.
Speaker 3: I have dog, We love dogs, you know, but pigs are smarter than dogs, right, And so I often think about dogs as our analogy for just like, imagine your dog living in these types of conditions and what that would mean to them, and.
Speaker 2: It's going to be no different from a pig. Right.
Speaker 3: I do think it's fair to say that animals are different from humans, right, So a lot of people don't realize that pigs, right, are proven to be as intelligent as dogs. They perform just asia as dogs do on animal kind of cognition and intelligence tests.
Speaker 2: So I often think about dogs as our analogy.
Speaker 3: Right, imagine your family dog at home living through the kinds of conditions that we talked about, and you know, that's that's kind of what sounds. I do think it's fair right to acknowledge that animals and humans are different.
Speaker 2: Right, we are not exactly the same.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't mean that the ways that we are the same, right, don't need to be taken seriously. Right. Nobody's advocating for animals to have the right to vote, right, because animals don't need the right to vote. That's not a relevant need to them, right. But their need to not suffer, right, Their need to live in an environment that is natural to them, their need to be with their families, and their innate desire to be with their like, those things are all very much the same, right, And so I often think it's really about thinking about what would we do to a doggercat lives in our home, and do we feel comfortable right with that same an animal with that same ability to feel pain and suffer at that same ability to kind of experience.
Speaker 2: It living in the kind of conditions we talked abu. I think most people would agree that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now it's a pivot to your So you recently took this role at CEO of the Human League. I think this was about a year a year and a half ago, and part of your message is that you think there is room for meat eaters in the animal welfare movement, which I think when I heard that it surprised me. It's like, oh, that's interesting, So unpack that. What is your thinking behind that, and we'll get into how that was received, But first tell us why that's your position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I don't see I'll be even more direct, I don't really see a path to the future that I described right, one where we look back and say, oh wow, factory farming is really a kind of dark period in our history.
Speaker 2: I don't see any path.
Speaker 3: To getting there without the support, right, and the enthusiastic participation of people who who eat meat or eat animal products, right, who aren't vegetarian or vegan. I say this as somebody who's been vegan for almost thirty years myself, right, So I'm you know, I think that's a great choice for people to make and if they're concerned about animal suffering. But I don't think it's the only choice, and I often think that. I think factory farming is the result of a set of individual policies, like corporate and public policy decisions that have been made along the way. It is not this force of nature, It is not this kind of incontrovertible truth about the man's relation to your humanity's.
Speaker 2: Relationship to animals. It's a choice that we've made.
Speaker 3: It's a result of set of choices that we've made, and to get out of it, we just need to make a set of different choices, right as it comes to corporate policy, right, the way companies manage their food supply chain, and public policy right and laws and regulations that govern the way that animals raise for food and other things like farm subsidies.
Speaker 2: And we can get into all the details, all right.
Speaker 1: So, all that said, what was the reaction you got from the animal welfare movement when you took that position.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think historically this is not a popular position in the animal protection movement, or at least in a certain wing of the animal protection movement.
Speaker 2: But I think more and more my experience is that I think the.
Speaker 3: Movement is coming to terms with the idea that I'm sharing here, which is that we have to build a broader tent of people who care about animals if we're going to be effective at achieving our kind of big picture objectives in the long term. Again I mentioned I'm somebody who happens to have been vegan for a long time, but like you know, that's like one percent of us one and a half percent of us.
Speaker 2: Right, And in order to fundamentally.
Speaker 3: Reform and ultimately end factory farming, which is our goal at the Humane leg, we're going to need a broad movement of public support to do that. And I don't think movements that are measured in the one percent, two percent, three percent of people are ultimately sufficient at being able to achieve those kinds of.
Speaker 2: Big structural change type of objectives.
Speaker 3: So I find that more and more people are embracing that idea, and I think I've been a part of a lot of conversations recently across the movement about like, what does it actually look like to implement that, How do we think about messaging, how do we think about outreach, how do we think about programs and campaigns you know that create more of that kind of welcoming environment and invite people right who don't identify as vegetarian or begins into the movement. And I think we're going to I expect to be seeing a lot more of that kind of activity happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are those initial sort of outreaches and messaging, What do those look like? What's been the reaction?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I think a lot of people, as you you framed the conversation this way, you know, the story they've heard is factory farming is bad for animals. Basically it's your fault, right, because of the personal dietary choices that you make, and the responsibility is on you the change. I don't you know, is there a small amount of truth to that story shore, but I don't think it's the full truth or the kind of real truth, right. The real truth is a factory farming even for people who eat me to eat animal products. This isn't something that anybody asked for, right. These are a set of decisions that were made by people in positions of power and influence, you know, at corporations and the government, right that have brought us to this place. And I think people have a tremendous amount of power right more than we realize to influence those decision makers right, those companies, governments, state and local legislatures, et cetera, to make different choices right.
Speaker 2: And it will take a lot of different choice is over a long period.
Speaker 3: Of time to kind of back out of the factory farming industry that we've we've we've put ourselves into.
Speaker 2: But it can be done right.
Speaker 3: And I think it's really about asking people to flex their citizen power right, their ability to make phone calls to members of Congress and legislators, right to talk to the companies that they might stop.
Speaker 2: For about wanting to see higher welfare standards and.
Speaker 3: Options at the grocery store and restaurants, right, acting as citizens right, I think the way many of us are used to acting on other issues that we might care about, whether it's climate or public health or other things, and not only ask people to flex their consumer power right sort of are the what do they choose to.
Speaker 2: Buy and what do they choose to be?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think to your point that no one made the decision for us, it really was. It really did just come down to a mathematical equation of saving money. Now to your point about how animals are treated as farm equipment. If you're talking about farm equipment and how to make that more efficient, great, we're talking about pieces of steel and oil and all these things. But when we're talking about sending of beans, that becomes really problematic to put something like that into a math equation.
Speaker 2: I think two.
Speaker 1: When the request is made for people to go from say standard American diet to vegan, it's kind of like asking someone to go from A to Z, not A to B, T C T D. So what, in your mind are some of the first steps someone can take to get to be so they can then go to C and then D and then see how far down the alphabet line they can go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So a lot of our work at the Human League is about sort of mobilizing citizen power to influence institutional decision making. And I think there's a lot of early steps that people can take, you know, whether it's with our organization or somebody else. Right in that being, we do a lot of work and other organizations across the movement to get companies to improve animal welfare in their supply chain. Right As an example, we're working we're trying to get Kroger right now, one of the largest groceryanies in the in the country, to go fully cage breed with their eggs supply right, to kind of no longer buy eggs and sell eggs from farms that look like what I described previously and buy them from from cage three farms that we should be clear are also still not great for animals, but a significant improvement right on the kind of traditional battery cage system that we describe. So people can call a company like Kroger and ask them what their cage free policy is, and if it's not, you know, one hundred percent cage f resourcing, ask them why not.
Speaker 2: Then you know what they can do about it.
Speaker 3: And if they shop at a local Kroger right, they could maybe choose to take their business elsewhere, or at least talk to the manager at the store right kind of make their voice for There's also a lot of work being done to protect farmed animals at the public policy level. So right now, as some of your audience may be familiar, there's a big debate in Congress over the next draft of the Farm Build Right and whether or not it will include language that would overturn a set of state level animal welfare laws and states California and Massachusetts that have passed laws that actually ban a lot of the kind of extreme confinement systems that we talked about earlier. So like very strong, very good, very powerful laws. The industry doesn't like these laws for obvious reasons, and so they're lobbyists in Congress are trying to push to kill them. And there's a language and the Houses draft of the Farm Bill that would essentially overturn a set of state level laws that were past democratic right, either through ballot measures where the billain in California at Propositions twelve passed with twenty five percent margin, right, like it was like seventy five to something. I forget massive popular support for laws like this across the country. So not only is it bad for animals, it's fundamentally undemocratic right for the federal government to say we don't like.
Speaker 2: Your state laws, we're going to overturn them.
Speaker 3: So right, that's an example where people can make a phone call to their member of Congress or for their senator and say, how are you planning to vote on this bill? Right? Please don't vote on any bill that would strip annimal welfare protect at the state level. That's just one example of a policy app here in New York. Right in New York City where I live, we have a ban on flagra in the city, which is a product that's produced using very cruel methods that I won't get into because they're too impleasant.
Speaker 2: To talk about.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of policy public policy opportunities for people to think about using their voting power right to support candidates that have a good position on farm animal welfare and speak up against individual bills that would be bad for animals or in favorable Yeah.
Speaker 1: That makes sense to kind of give you an anecdote at the personal level with me, I mean, I was one of those people like I think every single American is where you know that factory farming is bad, but you're like you just kind of you fall into it anyways, and you don't think about it all that often. Then I read Animal Liberation Now by Peter Singer. He's a philosopher at Princeton. Really, I would argue kind of started the movement. So I read this book. It was the updated edition of his book. I was like, oh my god, I had no idea, how bad it is on so many levels, and so I went vegan. I wrote it out for a while, but then eventually, because I travel so much for work and I'm always on the move, I found it really really difficult. You know, I'd be in an airport and I'd be like, I don't think there's anything for me to eat here beyond trail mix. So what I started to do is pivot into having some animal products in my diet. But what I did is I looked for places where do I need animal products here? So, for example, at breakfast, if I'm using Way Protein, oh, it turns out that like all these companies now make amazing vegetable protein powders, and I can have an apple and some blueberries. At lunch, if I was going to eat ex meat, it's like, oh, you know what, I also really enjoy air fried tofu, So now I'm going to swap that out. Now at dinner I might sometimes have meat. But for me, it was like this kind of big picture look and go where don't need these products and also kind of giving myself permission to not feel like a terrible killer if I get in a position where it's like, okay, our option is an animal product now, but you've done all this other work to remove animal products from your diet and I think that's a win. And then the other thing I did is I started giving money to the humanely, which leads me into a point that you made. I believe I heard you say. You know, you being a vegan for thirty years, you've probably impacted the lives of thousands of animals. But if you, as an organization, can get a massive corporation like Kroger or a fast food place to change their policies, now we're talking in the millions of animals that you can affect. So talk to me. You mentioned the Kroger campaign. What else are you thinking about right now in terms of getting some of these big food corporations to shift and what do you think the outcome of that will be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great point. To your point is is why our theory of change.
Speaker 3: Is centered on institutional decision making, because none of us have the ability to make those kinds of decisions that are going to affect millions unless we happen to be the cover CEO or something right, And if you're listening, you know what you need to do.
Speaker 2: So The way we think about it is this, Our focus.
Speaker 3: As I mentioned, is right now, is on is on moving the industry away from these battery cages to cage three.
Speaker 2: We do that for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 3: We think it's because that is where the highest sort of degree of suffering is taking place, and also where we think it's the most tractable, it's the most movable, right because there are just there are just very clear alternatives that nearly have right of the industry has already adopted at.
Speaker 2: This point, right, So in the US we aren't.
Speaker 3: About fifty percent of the egg industry has moved the cage reproductions, right. So there's there's no practical there's no technical you know, there's no operational reason why any company can't choose to go one hundred percent cage free.
Speaker 2: It's really just a matter of will and willing to make the decision.
Speaker 3: Of those fifty percent that are of the industry that is still.
Speaker 2: Reliant on battery cages.
Speaker 3: Most of that is supply to the grocery industry because you would guess most eggs that are bought in the United States are bought and grocery store.
Speaker 2: So that is why our focus is on.
Speaker 3: The grocery industry right now and really kind of moving individual big players in.
Speaker 2: The grocery industry to cage three.
Speaker 3: We recently had a great victory at the Humane League, and several other organizations across the movement all work together on this to get all hold del Hays, which is probably name that doesn't mean anything to anybody, but it's a holding company. They own stop and Shop food Lion Hannaferred, a bunch of East Coast grocery chains that people probably know. They did exactly what we're asking Kroger to do, which is they made a commitment to go one hundred percent cage free. It takes some time, right, It'll take up some years to kind of implement it. That's fine, it's normal. So we've got to hold del Hays now, which I think is the fifth largest grocery produce company. Kroger would be the fourth, right, and there's only a couple of companies left after that, the biggest one being Walmart of course, right, which is the biggest. They're the biggest everything of everything, but they're the biggest purchaser of ames worldwide in the US. But if we can get just a handful of additional companies right to go to commit to going cage free in their supply chain, the entire industry, and I think it's entirely possible within the next like let's say five to ten years, that there will not be battery cages braggling in this country. Those still exist in other parts of the world, but that would be a massive timing point.
Speaker 2: We focus on that for two reasons.
Speaker 3: One is the reason I said, we just think it's where the highest welfare gains are to be had. But it also becomes a proof point, right, because if the egg industry can fully transition to higher welfare methods, well so can the pork producing industry, and so can the you know what they call broiler chickens, the meat producing chickens. And so I think if we have that kind of industry case study of a full transition to higher welfare, we can accelerate the progress that we're trying to make them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I feel like animal welfare used to sort of be viewed as more of a left leaning cause, I would say, but I feel like it's starting to really cross political lines. And as you mentioned, with that voting, what do you say saying out there. Do you feel like we've hit a moment where now it's just sort of a lot more people from all different backgrounds or asking questions about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I do think it's a unique, relatively unique issue in American public life that hasn't been sort of fully polarized in one direction or the other. I mentioned the farm bill debate that's taking place right now. Some of our strongest allies in Congress have been on the Republican side of the isle, and we've had strong analyis on the Democrat side as well. Actually that it was one of the representatives, Representative Luna Costa, who's a Republican from Florida, I believe, was one of the leading advocates against this kind of language that we talked about that would overturn state level welfare laws. So I do think there's no necessarily sort of political ideology that do paring about farming.
Speaker 2: And if you look at the public it's the same right.
Speaker 3: I mentioned Proposition twelve in California, it's the strongest state level animal welfare law in the country. It bans the production and the sale of animal products produced through extreme confinement in the state of California. So battery cages like we talked about, creates for pigs, similar devices, deal creates things like that. That law pulls at eighty percent nationwide.
Speaker 2: Wo right, So if you.
Speaker 3: Ask voters would you like to have a law like this in your state, eighty percent of voters say yes.
Speaker 2: And it's not meaningfully different based on party affiliation.
Speaker 3: You can't get eighty percent of American voters to agree on anything, and yet they agree that we need much stronger animal welfare loss in this country. So I have a lot of hope for the future of public policy and kind of legislation and regulation around the movement. I think it's just a matter of us as a movement investing ourselves in bringing that about.
Speaker 2: So I think the political will in the public support is there.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick break and then Dan is going to explain which labels on animal products actually improve the lives of animals and which are just corporate jargon. Let's talk about how to actually eat what labels on food actually matter for animal welfare. If I'm at the grocery store and I see all these different language on food, what should I actually be looking for.
Speaker 3: It's a great question, because this is I think where a lot of very well meaning people get very tripped up, and it's intentionally confusing, as you could guess, because the industry doesn't really want you to understand. So talking about using and continuing to use eggs as the example, right, cage free means something right. It means rather than living in these battery cages that I describe, hens live in you know, a shed environment, which again is not necessarily great for them. You wouldn't want to be living in a cage free facility, but it's significantly better than living in pasture. Raised would then be a step further than that. It's what it sounds like, right, Animals would have access to pasture, not necessarily live there and find lives on the pasture. We should be clear to that, But I have access to the past here. You then will see labels like you know, you go to the grade, you see you know, farmer browns.
Speaker 2: All natural farm fresh things.
Speaker 3: All natural farm fresh. These are marketing terms. They mean nothing right for animal welfare, for anything else. Yeah, and then what's interesting about an organic label?
Speaker 2: Which, don't get me wrong, I support people buying organic. We try to buy.
Speaker 3: Organic things in our household, but organic doesn't necessarily mean higher welfare.
Speaker 2: Right, organic is focused on you know, it's things like pest.
Speaker 3: Aside use and important things, things that I at least think are important as well, But it doesn't necessarily correlate to animal wealthare so you're looking for so pasture raised would be an indication that something is you know, there's a meaningful distinction between you know, the standard practices and what this particular form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: As a vegan.
Speaker 1: What is your take on ranchers and people who are trying to do the right thing? And how do people even find those products?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know, A thing that I think people well also don't realize about the agriculture industry is how consolidated it's become and how corporate it's become. Like most other industries in the country, right the you know, a majority of battery farms are operated by a very small number of companies, right, And like anything else, it's this highly consolidated, highly corporatized industry.
Speaker 2: One of the interesting things that we find is that some of.
Speaker 3: The strongest supporters of farm animal welfare laws and some of the strongest opponents of the farm bill that would overturn these laws are small family farmers right who do genuinely want to do the right thing, right, are inherently at a competitive disadvantage to the big industrialized conglomerate mega corporations that dominate agriculture. And you know, despite I think they genuinely do want to do the right thing for animals because they you know, they live with these animals, They see them every day, right, I think they have a relationship with them, and it's very different than a corporate approach.
Speaker 2: But also they see it as a competitive advantage. Right.
Speaker 3: It's going to be probably easier for them as a smaller producer to transition of higher welfare standards, and so it gives them a competitive advantage against the industry to be able to kind of move in that direction.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of those producers are going to.
Speaker 3: Be local, right, So like when you go to your local farmers market, right, you can ask questions to those producers about, you know, how do you how do your hands live?
Speaker 2: Did they live in cages? Do they live in sheds? Do they have access to pasture?
Speaker 3: Right? That's probably going to be your best bet for finding kind of very high welfare products. But you know, when it comes to eggs, right, Like a lot of the even the big companies, they transition their supply chain to cage free.
Speaker 2: And so if you see that label at the grocery store, even if it is you.
Speaker 3: Know, at a big, you know, mega grocery retailer like you know, you can understand that does mean something meaningful? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Does does the word free range? Is that useful or is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Free range would be sort of equivalent to pasture raised, right, the idea that they're going to be out there and you know, have some amount of access to outdoors, right, because again, the majority of animals just don't.
Speaker 2: It would never see the light of day outside of it.
Speaker 1: What do you think will have into pricing, because I think there's this, you know case you can also vote with your wallet. At the same time, if I buy you know, uh, free range meat from we get from a guy up in Idaho and you know, I got to meet him at the parking lot of a Walmart once every three months, and it's also a lot more expensive. Do you think that as Do you think economics will kind of play a role where the price of free range products will drop or will those stay elevated? And what's your thoughts on that, given that people have only so much money for food and it's also increasing across the board.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, So to your point, free range would be sort of towards the top of the you know, the top of the scale in terms of high welfare. And the reality is, yes, it's going to be more expensive to produce that because you can't, as you talked about, like rely on that sort of we're go in to view these animals as production units and maximize for efficiency. It's just yeah, there's a reason they do that and help some save money on production costs. So there is a certain reality today. But I think a couple of things are true. I think for some of the incremental welfare improvements, right, like like moving from battery cages to cage free, that's an incremental step.
Speaker 2: There's not a massive production costs difference in that, right. It's it's something, but it's like measured in like cents on a carton events.
Speaker 3: What I find very interesting is when you go to the grocery store and you compare the price of the you know, traditional eggs to cage free eggs, you might see a dollar or a dollar fifty two dollars markup on the on the package of cage free.
Speaker 2: Eggs, almost all of that is corporate margin.
Speaker 3: It's corporate profit, so sort of green tax or a humane tax, if you want to look at it that way. Because companies have realized they can market that as a threemium product, right that there is a signific for people who can't afford it, which I agree with you, everybody can't. But for people who can't afford it, they're prepared to pay more for higher welfare products. But people don't need to be paying the extra dollar dollar fifty. It should really just be a couple of cents, right, So, I think also part of it is about companies very cynically exploiting people's desire for higher welfare products to up the prices. I'm not suggesting that's what you're goind Idaho is doing. That's probably a real meaningful production costs. But I think for those incremental improvements, there's a lot of kind of corporate breed kind of sitting behind it and exploitation of consumers.
Speaker 2: I think if you take a very long viewed, like how.
Speaker 3: The industry is going to evolve over time, right, if you think about what it's going to look like to fundamentally transform the animal agriculture ecosystem and start moving away from factory forming at scale. You know, the reality is, I do think it's going to require fewer animal products being produced sold in consumer I don't think that that's going to mean every single person needs to go one hundred percent Megan, right, But it might mean that people need to think about moving from eating meat every day to maybe a couple of days a week, or you know, every meal to one meal or two, you know, like incremental shifts and diet and also in just industrial use. Right to your point about corporate decisions, companies can do things like, I don't know, replace an egg ingredient in like a brownie, you know, recipe that they produce its scale with a different product, and that can have a meaningful reduction and animal product in some production without.
Speaker 2: Anybody noticing, you know what I mean. So I do feel like that needs to be part of it.
Speaker 3: But I think about it as and I think this is how it sounds like how you think about it.
Speaker 2: I identify as an environmentalists, a climate person.
Speaker 3: Somebody who carries like I try to recycle, you know, do I recycle one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: Of the bottles and cans that I get my hands on. No, probably not right.
Speaker 3: If I'm out with my kid running around, I just might have to toss it in the crash. Right, But recycling ninety percent or eighty percent, but my bottling cans is.
Speaker 2: Ninety to eighty percent better than not doing it at all.
Speaker 3: And I think we need to look at animal consumption the same way, right, incremental shift is what's needed. And if that's going to be accessible to people in a way that going vegetori or vegan isn't, that's great, right, and that that's got to be part of it.
Speaker 2: But I think the way.
Speaker 3: The industry needs to evolve as the industry does need to shrink, right, and we need to raise and fewer animals.
Speaker 2: And then I think that will help offset some.
Speaker 3: Of the kind of production costs, right because and then I think it'll be easier for part elements of the industry to transition to higher welfare standards while keeping costs more manageable for for cons.
Speaker 1: We'll take a quick break, and then Dan, who has been a vegan for thirty years, is going to tell us the easiest ways to find awesome plant based alternatives. How does the Human League. Talk about this from a health perspective, and I'll give you my point of view. I think that you can do any diet really poorly. So we've kind of had a rise of as veganism became more popular, we've had a rise of well, now you can have vegan doritos and vegan whatever. And in my mind, it all kind of comes down to the food sourcing, right, Like a vegan diet that is filled with the vegan version of junk food is probably going to be worse for you than a diet that is mostly whole foods but include some animal products. I do think that if people were to shift to more plants, I think that would be really meaningful for public health because when you look at the data, the vast majority of people are getting enough protein per day, absolutely, but only one in ten Americans eat enough fruits and vegetables every single day. So I think that needs to be the shift. How do you talk about that and think about health or do you just stay out of it and focus on the ethics.
Speaker 3: Yeah. As as an organization, we're an animal welfare organization, so our our messaging is focused on that.
Speaker 2: You know, just personally, I.
Speaker 3: Tend to agree with you, right, I don't necessarily identify as the most health forward vegan. Before I got on with you, I had my you know, tokfurkey sandwich with like vegan talkies.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean? Like super healthy? Probably not? But I had a good time eating my lunch.
Speaker 3: And it's important that people enjoy their lives, right, I think that's got to be part of it. But yeah, to your point, the standard American diet I don't think works well for anybody. That's just my personal opinion. Definitely doesn't work for animals, it doesn't work for our health. I think we've we've convinced ourselves. Yea, At to your point, we have some kind of protein epandemic in this country that I don't think any of the data suggest. And then you know, you often hear there's a bit adjacent to the health question. But to your point, right, like people might try some vegan foods and not Like I don't know how many people I've talked to it's like, oh, I had a vegan burger and I didn't enjoy it, And so it's like, well, I've had plenty of vegan burgers I didn't enjoy have you ever eaten a hamburger you didn't like?
Speaker 4: Some food is good, some food is bad, some food is healthy, some food is unhealthy, And I think those are different kind of parameters, and whether it's animal based or not, I think it's important for people to just figure out what do they like to eat, right, and what is a you know.
Speaker 3: Plant forward version of that diet that works for them and feels sustainable right, Because I think that's the big thing.
Speaker 2: If people can make radical changes to their.
Speaker 3: Diet that aren't sustainable in the long term and then they just go back to where they were previously, and I don't think that helps anybody, and it does it definitely doesn't help animal So figuring out what's sustainable for you and what you enjoy eating in a way that kind of takes all these considerations into into consideration, I think that's the.
Speaker 2: Path for most people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been a vegan for thirty years. What are some of the things that helped you the most at stay on the path in terms of how you approached eating and living in a world where you know, if you find yourself at the airport your only choice is trail mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, I'm dating myself a little bit, but I went to vegetarian vegan when I was seventeen years old.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how to cook. So, like, first of it was just like figuring out how to cook for.
Speaker 3: Myself, which hopefully most people don't need to go that through that kind of one on one level version of it. But I also think it is about learning how to cook with different kinds of products. As a tangent, my wife is a vegan cookbook auth there, and a lot of what she writes about in her in her books is about, you know, we have access to these products that sort of replace animal products in certain.
Speaker 2: Times, and right like I've got you know, I could use a veggie burger as opposed to a hamburger, but they don't actually cook the.
Speaker 3: Same way, right, and so you might prepare a vegan burger a little differently than you would and eat right. And so I think a lot of it is just about figuring out how to evolve also, like your preparation the types of meals that you make and the way that you cook them and prepare them to account for different types of products.
Speaker 2: You know, for a lot of people, right like I grew up in a You know.
Speaker 3: My dad cooks Italian food for us, so figuring out like, you know, Italian food is what feels like comfort food to me, So what are kind of vegan versions of Italian comfort food that we can make at home? So I think figure I think for me, and also just the products have improved tremendously over the past thirty years. I remember having to drive, you know, to literally drive two towns over to get like a shelf stable cart and of soy milk for my cereal in the morning, which I can now get at the Boteg guy around the corner from my.
Speaker 2: Apartment in New York City.
Speaker 3: You know, every product's not going to be for everybody, and every meal isn't going to be for everybody.
Speaker 2: So I just think trying a bunch of things, seeing what works for you.
Speaker 5: And figuring out what your go to is, because I think the other people think about having a vegan lifestyle is like, oh, you're reading labels constantly, but it's just like dot but you I've bought most of the same things at the grocery store every week.
Speaker 2: I don't need to read the labels. I already know what's in it.
Speaker 3: Right, So sort of figuring out what's my go to and how do I prepare it in the way that works for me, and how does it kind of overall create a diet and a food lifestyle that I feel excited about and is going to be sustainable. I love it.
Speaker 1: Where should people go to find your work the Humane League and what sort of one big takeaway you can leave us with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can find us online at the Humane League dot org and we're on all the socials at the Human League and various platforms. I think the biggest thing I would want people to take away is that they have you have more power than you realize right to influence institutional decision making that can have a meaningful impact on farm animals.
Speaker 2: And you can do that whatever your dietary towards me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, billions of farmed animals. By the way, Well, Dan Channon, thanks so much for coming on. Keep up the good work. What you're doing is important and we appreciate you taking the time man.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. Michael, It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That's rot.
Speaker 1: Thanks for checking out the show, and thanks to Dan for coming on. He's at the Humane League dot org. Check them out and if you're looking for ways to swap in some good protein that is plant based, because that's one of the hardships of turning to plant based products is getting in enough protein. Check out Momentous plant based Protein. It's fantastic. And also tofu. A lot of people don't like tofu, but guess what if you air fry tofu, it is amazing. I've turned so many people who are fundamentally anti tofu onto tofu by telling them to put it in the air fryer. Get it a nice sort of golden brown on the outside. God, it's fantastic. Please subscribe that helps us. Please give us a review that helps us as well. That way you'll get those updates for our twice weekly shows and in closing, have fun, don't die, and be nice to animals.