Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Great episode three oh one, and this will be a different type episode. This podcast really hasn't existed since I've had to do a show like this. I don't think I've done a well. Damn, that just happened after a big Chiefs game since the pods existed, maybe in its early early infancy, but that just happened. Chiefs get absolutely rocked in the game to become the greatest team ever. So we will get into all of that. Also, at the end of today's episode, we will get a reaction to Luka do Ancich's debut with the Lakers. Those really should be their own separate podcasts or events. However, we're gonna do it all today. Want happen over the weekend, wanna happened last night? And here is I thought the right thing to do, we've been building up to it all year, was to have my first reaction to the Chiefs loss be on first things first. When I made that choice, I didn't necessarily know Demanse. Demanse's here, by the way, if you're new to the pod, Demanse's my son. He lives in LA's my coast. I didn't necessarily know when I made that decision that my first reaction to the game would be given covered in confetti while a marching band circled me and played around me. But I've had time to process, to think, to figure out what didn't didn't happen in that football game, And maybe the most interesting parts of that are what it means for Patrick mahomes pursuit of being the greatest football player of all time. How big of a stumble this was. Whether, as some have said, that makes this that conversation moot it ends it. I don't think that is the case, but I will say what didn't didn't happen. Also, one other quick note before we get to it, announce over the weekend. You know we own this podcast now, uh so Demanse and I. We've partnered with the great people at Volume. We still have the great people at Blue Duck putting it together. But that also means we're open for business. And as I told you guys a few weeks ago, New Gambling, we were open for a gambling sponsor. Shout out to the good people at DraftKings for stepping up to the plate. That box is now checked gambling sponsor, and I'm gonna go rogue here and say, we are also in a very short window of time looking for a car dealership sponsor, preferably one in Los Angeles or nationally. I've got a car and I, you know, live in New York. I don't need to demanse. On the other hand, got six weeks left on a lease. And if anybody wants to, you know what I mean, do some trade, do something, you know what I mean, have your people hit my people or whatever it is. I'm gonna and reach out however you can demon days you know, might be in the market for a car. So there's the fun stuff. Bamani Jones already trolling me live in the chat. We're also gonna try to get to chat questions. Uh, Bamani saying, y'all can't put no confetti on the screen. Thanks bo Uh. Listen to the Right Time with Bamani Jones, one of my favorite podcasts ever. All right, pal, enough preamble, Let's get to the game.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, Pops, that was that was really, really, really bad. I felt super bad for you the entire time. I I had fried chicken wings Yester Sunday during the game for the first time since college, and I feel like I did it very well. Sat down to eat have halftime, you know, thought it was gonna get better, and I just couldn't eat bad for you, And I went to go check.
Speaker 3: Your tweets and I was like, you know, he never really tweets during these situations.
Speaker 2: And what really, I think what really made it worse was that I went to go see your tweets and you had been feeling good. You're like, they're down ten. This is the part of the dynasty. They can finally start playing football, and it just kept getting worse.
Speaker 1: So that's a great place to start. So being down ten in the Super Bowl for everyone else in league history except for two guys, is a death sentence. There have been six double digit comebacks in Super Bowl history, and three have been by Patrick, two have been by Tom and one other guy. So Tom obviously had the twenty five point comeback and a ten point comeback against the Seahawks. Patrick was down exactly ten points in both Super Bowls against the Niners and the previous Super Bowl against Philly, and maybe one of the producers can pull up. I forget who the other ten point comeback was. I think it was in the eighties doesn't really matter, that's it. So prior to Tom Brady there had been one double digit comeback in NFL history. After in Super Bowl history, after Tom, there had only been three. There have now been six, and so being down ten, I was like, okay, you can deal with that. Then the pick six happens. And it's not just that the pick six happens and you're all of a sudden down seventeen. Oh my mistake. By the way, here it is the other double digit comebacks. New Orleans over Indy was a double digit comeback, and the one I couldn't remember. Washington fell down ten nothing to Denver in eighty seven and then scored forty two consecutive points. So I guess there have been seven, not six. All right, thanks guys. The the reason the pick six was so concerning was it was an unforced error, and it was when Patrick knew, all right, not a big margin for error anymore. And then after that, when there was zero margin for error, the Chiefs went three and out, and in that moment, if I'm being totally honest, I said, oh, they're gonna lose. It's like they're just they they have not they have done one thing, and they continued to do it all game really well, which is bottle up Saquon. But the offense cannot figure out how to lock these guys. And this is an cliche, old obvious point about beating a great quarterback, but it's been true forever. The single best way to beat a great quarterback is if you can get home with four, if you can get pressure without sending pressure, without sending a blitz. That's how the Giants beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl. That's how you neutralize Peyton. And that's twice. Now how Maholmes has gotten undone in a Super Bowl. But unlike the Tampa Super Bowl were despite the constant pressure, Patrick was actually pretty magical. The stats don't back it up, but it the eye test does. This game was the opposite. The stats look better than the actual game did. Team had twenty three yards in the first half and the opening drive of the game third down, easy pass to Travis Kelcey, a little behind it, and Travis didn't catch it. It wouldn't have been. It was catchable, but not a great pass. It was a drop but not a horrible one. But it's like that was a oh and that was without pressure. There was you know, his game is zero zero and no no literal you know, pressure from the defensive line. And then on the very next drive, after the Chiefs got another stop, Mahomes got his left tackle Joe Tooney, pushed into him right as he's releasing the ball, throws it short at the pick, and all of a sudden's twenty four to nothing and the game's over now. I did convince myself at halftime the game. I felt it was over at seventeen nothing, and then at the long halftime I convinced myself in fact was not over because and this was the you know, the cruelest thirty minutes of the game. And I mentioned this on TV, and it seems like some people had forgotten it that this dynastic run started in a game that Speaking of Bamani, I think he was with me for the divisional round against the Houston Texans where they were down twenty four to nothing and then went on a fifty one to seven run. And so a halftime, I'm like, what wouldn't that be something if the Bookends are being down twenty four to nothing, if with Brady mister down twenty eight to three, in the booth. Patrick orchestrates a twenty four point comeback in the second half of the Super Bowl, but instead they instantly went three and out again. And it was just that. And so I will talk big picture chief stuff at length. Shortly, the game analysis for the Chiefs is very simple. They couldn't block them and Patrick was skittish. And so I this is how do.
Speaker 3: You think he played? Bat Are you saying that he played badly?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do think he played poorly. I I So I think demand's that given how the line played, the Chiefs were going to lose. Given how Patrick played, they were going to get blown out like that. It And so if Patrick had on the times he did have time, or he escaped the price sure thrown on target, on time, accurate passes, they would have been able to stay within reach at least. But Philly, you know, and will get to jail In shortly. They dared jail In to pass and Jalen was more than up for the challenge. They stopped Saquon, it didn't matter. Philly's defense was flying around. And so I thought this was one of the poorest games of Patrick's career. There is no way around it. And so he said it, and because he's such a great leader, he took probably more of the blame than he had to. But when you are the best player in the sport, when you are going for history, and when you, in my opinion, play of your twenty one career playoff games the worst. I think this was worse than the Tampa game by a wide margin, the worst game of your career. You gotta wear it like that just is what it is. You just have to wear it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Demantsey on the sideline, we were comparing under Brady all the time.
Speaker 3: When when he got down like.
Speaker 2: That, it kind of seemed like he sat in his own head instead of like motivating his team around him.
Speaker 1: So that bart I don't I don't agree with that, because in the first half he seemed on the sideline motivational and trying, you know that, trying to get guys going right. The shots of him sitting and Kelsey sitting with like a blank look on his face and Chris Jones falling to the ground, that was all when it was over. Like, yeah, I know the game wasn't over, but they were down thirty points. In the second half of the Super Bowl, they hadn't crossed midfield. So I don't think and I want to say one other thing about Patrick's game. I do not consider what he did at the end stat padding in the traditional sense. Stat padding in the traditional senses. I know we've lost, I don't care. I'm gonna make my numbers look better. I consider what Patrick did at the end of that game. I'm listen, man, I'm fighting to the very end. And you know in doing that, he got blasted in the face and a strip sack.
Speaker 2: I think the guy is just not gonna do anything for the rest of the game just because they're down, not gonna.
Speaker 1: Well no, I mean something. You get those allegations when the other team has their backups in. Yeah, you're not just running the ball to end the game. But there it's the super Bowl. If or a regular season game and they were down like that, they would have just gotten out of there. It's the super Bowl. You got to play it to the end, and you know what I mean, and do the onside kicks and go for the deep shots and do what's.
Speaker 3: The game in the future, it will make it look a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what's right. So that's the that's the reason for stat padding is so in five ten years you look back on it, you're like, oh, listen, Like, if someone didn't watch this game a decade from now and they just look at it, they would probably think, oh, the Chiefs defense just got annihilated. Offense, did you know? The turnovers are bad? But scored twenty points? And that's not what it was. They were down thirty four to nothing. They were down thirty four to nothing, and the defense, in my opinion at that moment, had really only allowed seventeen points because seven was on a pick six, seven was right after a super short field interception, and three was on a super short field after the fumble, and so like that's the that was the problem, right, No, the deep listen, they shut down Saquon. They did what people thought they couldn't do, and they got their ass kicked. And so this is where I will I will go precedent for this, and I you know, I have aid for a while that Mahomes is trying to speed run Brady's career. I didn't account for the seven Super Bowl to be a part of that. So in our lifetimes, Demons, there have been two games total, two games that were played where if a team won that game, they would have the universal claim of greatest team of all time. One game was the undefeated seven Patriots up against the New York Giants, and the other game was this Sunday, and in both games, a team with a seemingly invincible quarterback who had been the best team in the sport all year long, played its single worst game of the season. That Patriots game was close because the defense played well, Brady didn't have as many turnovers, and because they weren't playing a team nearly as good as this Eagles team. But that Patriots team, which set the all time record for points, scored that Patriots team that was favored in some games that year de Monse by twenty four and a half points. That Patriots team scored fourteen points on the precipice of history, played its worst game of the year. And this Chiefs tea saying, no, I'm not saying levels the two out. What I'm what I'm.
Speaker 4: Saying is that we have now had two instances in my forty years where a team walked on the field saying, man, if we.
Speaker 1: Finished this, we are the goat team for the Patriots. It was a single season pursuit. For the Chiefs, it was a three year pursuit, and in both games, whether it's coincidence or the moment got to him, they couldn't finish the deal. And that loss still haunts Brady. He brings it up all the time. And I think one of the reasons that loss still haunts Brady is because he knew. He obviously knows now because the career is over, but I think he knew at the moment, this is the only chance I'm gonna get at this, The only chance I'm gonna get at an undefeated season is right here, right now. And I think for Patrick, he knew, man, the only chance I'm gonna get to three peat, to win a game, one, one more win and we're the greatest team ever is right here, right now. And it appeared to get to him a bit. And so that to me is the story of this game. Eagles fans. I promise I will give you your flowers in a bit. But Demanse asked some of these follow up questions before we get to legacy stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, who is one of the nicest slash meanest people that you heard from after the game. I know, folks are probably reaching out to you seeing how you were doing.
Speaker 1: Or I haven't read the text. Okay, I have not I have not read the texts Uh, that's what yesterday I say.
Speaker 2: I texted you during the game and you responded to me like yesterday at work or something like that.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I responded to you when I saw it, which was you text me again yesterday something else and Demanse sent me a document yesterday and my response was thanks so much, Pal, I love you so much. It was made no sense in the document that he and then I realized, like, oh, I, but I was reading the text you sent me right after the game. No, Like, let me look at the phone right now, I'm not I have this is Can I put this up to the camera because people will think I'm lying? What do you think the number above my text messages is right now for unread unopen texts now, keep in mind it normally hovers around two hundred, like to be fair, because I'm weird about texting and the TuS so if it and keep in mind this number, I'm not in the only group chats I'm in are for this show and the TV show, and those aren't like peppering messages back in the wa it normally hovers around two hundred. What do you think the number is right now?
Speaker 3: Probably in the fives.
Speaker 1: Now does this show No, it's probably not gonna work. Five hundred and thirty eight, Yeah, five hundred and thirty eight. I don't know if those I gotta tell you, if you're watching this, if you text me during that football game, the only chance I'll ever see it is the next time you text me. I'm not. I Am not going to relive those feelings. I'm not. I uh yeah, like cause I'm part of my morning so I'm so ingrained in my morning routines of listening to podcasts. I now have just gone back and found a bunch of like the NBA trade deadline podcasts I didn't listen to during super Bowl week, and that's what I'm listening to. So like I'm I'm getting, I'm getting people's reaction to the Mark Williams trade that has since been vetoed Like I am, I'm not gonna consume any super Bowl content and it's gonna be too painful. I have to create the content. I'm not gonna consume it. I also, I don't know if you remember this, but I I'm sure you remember I bet Brazil to win the World Cup and said that the money I bet on it was gonna pay for a trip to go to Brazil after the World Cup, and I booked the trip preemptively. Is two Februaries ago, and then Brazil didn't win the World Cup, but your mom and I went anyway. Our trip we're taking in a week and a half. I don't think do you know where we're going? No, So so this is sometimes things work out the way they're supposed to. Because I'm not trying to act like I'm a real celebrity. I'm not, but I am shockingly recognized in I'm more recognized. It would appear from my experience in the Caribbean than in New York City. And I think it's got like the the amount of and by locals by like guys that because I think a lot of those guys love American sports and they don't always get the games, but they watch a ton of content YouTube, you know, TikTok stuff. So it would be a nightmare for me to on vacation go somewhere where a lot of people know me and by and normally in February, your mom and I go somewhere in the Caribbean to be warm. I am literally going halfway around the world as far away as I could, and it was already booked. We're going to New Zealand. We're going to New Zealand, eighteen hour do stop flight. And I god knows, like I haven't given any Rugby takes or all see rules football takes, so I will get to hide from this. Because here's the other thing. Where do I like to go gamble? The answer that question is Philadelphia. Well that's off the board for months, maybe life Like I can't deal with these people, and I was pretty yeah, I just can't deal. I really just can't deal.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: You asked a couple of other producer questions before we get to the legacy stuff.
Speaker 2: So all the first things, first stunts you guys had it planned, were some of them unplanned. That happened since you know, the Chiefs lost some of that little impromptu.
Speaker 1: That was all Wild's hub, Dusty and Brew. I was. I told them I knew they were gonna do something. I didn't want to know what they were gonna do, and.
Speaker 3: Just go ahead.
Speaker 1: That was by the way, let me look real quick, that's gonna be our I don't know what the TV ratings are gonna end up. I assume they're gonna be good. But not to sound like a jackass there, but people want to see me in pain? That twenty five minute A block has right now, it posted eighteen hours ago. Has let me check? Oh gosh, darn it. Don't actually play the video one million, nineteen thousand views eighteen hours ago of people just wanting to see ten thousand comments Wow, wanting to see me in pain.
Speaker 2: You say that people can't hate watch for game, but can they hate watch your show?
Speaker 3: Do you think that happens?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think. I think the people that want to see me in pain like the show. I think it's like, you know what I mean, I get it, So I don't. I don't think people want something they don't like. They you know what I mean? So I think they like the show. But it also felt again I'm gonna go Galaxy brain again. I think the kids call this cope. But whatever, I think you'll agree with me here for what I do for a living and for our TV show and podcasts, specifically, the Chiefs. Losing that game made next season exponentially more interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad I've literally said this to like three four core workers yesterday.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you had the same thought. I'm going places.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, that and it's because had they won, every Chief's conversation next year is boring. It's either well, it's not just people get tired of it. There's no there's no stakes attached to it. Demanse the they had they won, it's every Chiefs conversation is either a compliment fest or a poorly constructed you probably don't believe it. Here's why you can doubt them now. And it wouldn't be there, you know what I mean. And so now they have lost, they got their asses kicked. There's questions about Travis's future. And if someone goes into next year and is like, no, I mean, Philly's the best team. That's a totally fair take. Somebody goes into next year and says the Eagle, I'm sorry, the Bills or the Ravens are going to copy the blueprint of what Philly did. That. I might disagree with their ability to do that, but that's a fair take. Like all those there's real stakes attached now, yeah, the and there is too, Yes, and an again, I promise we'll get to Philly, but let's uh, let's go to the legacy stuff and before we get to Philly.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is definitely one of, if not the worst game of Patrick Mahomes's career. At the half, he had thirty three yards, two picks, ten point seven passer rating.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Reid couldn't scheme up anything. Uh and Patrick Mahomes couldn't seem to get away from them? Is how what does this mean for his legacy?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this isn't This might be the most important conversation on the pod, except for when I have to tell the story about what happened to me the night before the Super Bowl with Jalen Hurt's family, who was delightful. But it's an unbelievable story. So this simultaneously means everything and nothing to Mahomes' legacy. It means everything to his legacy in one specific way, his pursuit of Tom Brady be the greatest player of all time. It took a huge hit. And I understand Tom's three and two in Super Bowls through you know, in this until he was thirty five, I you know, lost two of his first five like Patrick. I mentioned the seven corlers. This, I get all that. That's not I'm not making the point of like, oh, you can't overcome this loss. I'm making the point that this was a chance to do something Tom had never done, and he almost assuredly never get this chance again. So then it kind of does become a count. The rings count, the accomplishment's thing. And I don't think Patrick's going to play for a quarter century like Tom did, and so there and Patrick's not going to be doing it in a division that has zero competent coaches or quarterbacks for his entire career like Tom did. So it just so for the pursuit of Brady, this was massive for him. Compared to anyone else in the league or in league history, it means almost nothing. He had lapped them all already. So I let me give you, so who are so? For the for the other quarterbacks currently playing, If someone wants to say, Jalen Hurts gets to call himself best quarterback in the league right now, I'll listen to it, and again I'll to Jalen in a bit. I think that would be a bridge way too far. But it's like, hey, he's played in the super Bowl twice in the last three years. He was awesome in both games. He was the champion. Now like he gets it like that. The argument against that is to me a one on like, are we even being serious here? He thinks the best quarterback in football. But you can just be like, no, the wins. I am a wins guy. That's what it is. That's all fine. I so I oddly, even though I don't think Jalen is as good as Josh Lamar or Joe, I will listen to a Jalen Hurts deserves the spot at top Mahomes Mountain before I will listen to Josh Lamar or Joe do. Because what cannot happen is how someone performs in a Super Bowl knocks them down. So someone who a direct competitor who they beat and outplayed to get to that Super Bowl gets elevated. So in twenty twenty two, the reason Joe Burrow didn't have a chance to have this done to him by the Eagles defense was because Patrick beat him and outplayed him in the AFC Championship Game. In twenty twenty three, the reason Lamar didn't have a chance to have this done to him by the San Francisco forty nine ers is because Patrick beat him and outplayed him in the AFC Championship Game. And in twenty twenty four, the reason Josh Allen didn't have a chance to have this done to him by this Eagles defense is because Patrick beat him and outplayed him in the afa Championship Game. So what this game means for mahomes current standing amongst contemporaries is nothing. Nothing. What it means for his standing amongst the all time greats, well, I don't think anybody is going to argue, oh he Now if someone were going to like, who are the other guys? He's up against the only other guy other than Braid. Again, Brady is here. So we're talking about everyone beneath Brady Well, who's been to as many Super Bowls as Patrick only Lway. Did Elway ever get blown out? Uh? Yeah? Did he ever lose Super Bowls? Lost his first three? So it is is that a thing that we're worried about here? So we're gonna say John Elway. John Lway lost Super Bowl fifty five to ten, and it was, by the way, after losing a Super Bowl forty two to ten, and after losing a Super Bowl thirty nine to twenty. So okay, so elway, we're throwing l Way out Peyton Manning Well, Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning lost to Super Bowl forty three to eight, very similar circumstances, and it was after he had arguably the greatest season to any quarterbacks ever had. Okay, so we're not gonna elevate those two guys. The argument for elevation of one guy Joe Cool Joe Montana. Joe Montana played in four Super Bowls and played great in all four Super Bowls, never threw a pick one all four. You know, he was on the other side of that Lway fifty five to ten law or loss. Here is the problem, and this is the tentacles kind of of part of old Lebron Jordan arguments Joe Montana from nineteen eighty six eighty seven, I'm sorry, nineteen eighty five, eighty six, eighty seven. In those three years, Demonse went to the playoffs three times, lost in the playoffs in the first in his first game all three times. In those three games, had a total of zero touchdowns, had four interceptions, and lost three times by double digits, once forty nine to three. So the argument that like, Oh, if you're great, this doesn't happen to you. That's three years in a row, Smack dab in the middle of his prime where he didn't win a playoff game where he got blown up out where they couldn't move the football. He lost back to back years in the playoffs where he has often scored three points, where he didn't score a touchdown. So what I won't And this is a fundamental belief I have about sports. There is no championship round performance that results in a loss that is worse than a first round performance that results in a loss. Just this. And so I don't know who else is on this list we're gonna talk about, like, oh, we're gonna elevate Aaron Rodgers never played brutal in a Super Bowl? Yeh, because he played twenty years and got to one. And so like you, you're correct. But so there's just so. If the argument is Tom Brady is the only legend to ever play quarterback in NFL history, fine, But if the legend quarterback room has two or more seats, Patrick's the first person to sit down in that second seat. And that's with this performance. There is not a guy you can find that didn't have horrifying postseason losses. There isn't one, and Patrick remains the only player to never have the horrifying postseason loss early. And this is again where if we are going to be I think fair, we are going to acknowledge that the year Tom was trying to do what Patrick was trying to do this week, which was execute a three peat. He lost in the divisional round to Jay Cutler twenty seven thirteen, throwing a couple picks, including a pick six. Like again, and that's wasn't a super Bowl it was he played so poorly in that game they didn't get to the super Bowl. Again. Tom's resume is unimpeachable. But what we're not gonna do is act like there is this group of quarterbacks current or in the past who don't have some brutal playoff losses on their resume. Patrick remains the only guy who I would argue has just won. And you can say, yeah, but it came on the biggest stage. Came on the biggest stage, because that's the only stage he plays on. It's unfathomable at this point that he would be playing in the wild card round and getting blown out. You can't even conceptualize that that happened to Joe Montana coming off a Super Bowl in back to back years. So again, like I I will, there's a lot of fair criticism about this game. There is not a lot of Well, now we have to rethink. You know where where Patrick is in NFL history. That's not a thing now we do. If you were calling him already the greatest of all time, you got to rethink that. I said, had he won, I would call him that he didn't. And the results of the games matter. All right, We're gonna get to my Super Bowl Leaves story. Nick Sirianni Jalen hurts Howie Roseman in the rundown. It says I owe them all apologies. That seems well, we'll see. But first and foremost, shout out Draftkins, new official gambling sponsor of What's Right with Nick Wright gambling sponsor. They've been Demons's preferred betting partner forever, They've been my preferred betting partner for this past football season, and now they are exclusive betting partner to the people the DraftKings, And I'm gonna need the What's Right folks to help me out here in a moment. But first, let me tell you about them who's scoring big in the NBA this season. You with the all new ways to get in on the action at DraftKings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA for Monster Slam position, the Rock Cleaning Glass, get behind your favorite players and the prop bets you can make on DraftKings, the home of NBA player props. Ready to place your first bet? Try betting on something simple like picking how many points your favorite player will have. Go to the Draftings Sportsbook gap make your pick. So listen, there are some lines to look at for this evening if you want player props for this evening. Jalen Brunson's total is twenty eight and a half and Angry Kevin durant Ants total is twenty six and a half. Again, lines and odds are subject to change. Here is the thing I need from you guys. Okay, new DraftKings customers bet five dollars, get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly. Now I understand some of you guys, have you know already if you're already signed up? Try to just do that and use my code anyway. That won't work. I actually surprised shouldn't do that, But if you're using something else, I just want to show these DraftKings people you know they made a good call here. So here's what you do. Take it to the rack with DraftKings Sportsbook. Every point counts. Download DraftKings Sports Book app. And this is what I need. Use the code right, WRGHT. Use the code right. That's code right for new customers to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings, the crown is yours. Gambling problem one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope in why or text hope in why, which is four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and resort in Kansas twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKNG dot Co slash b ball so here against code Wright and I'm giving them a long read here because I have a real goal here and let's put Demons back on the screen if we can. So here's the deal, guys. We have a goal for this football season, and we're six months away from the football season. And guys, just so you guys know, I'm not seeing Demonsee at all right now. Maybe we can fix that. I don't know in the v mix. But if this DraftKings thing goes well enough over the next six months, then my goal is for next football season, demonse, for when you open the DraftKings app, for there to be you know, like you know, the rights Picks of the Week or whatever, the little picture of me and people can follow it, and and there to be one right next to it, Demonse's teaser of the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nothing would be greater then the people open the DraftKings app and they can just one click follow your teaser. I think the only way we're gonna get that to happen is if we I think, you know, we show them that we can move action here. So we just need people to use the DraftKings app, use promo code, right w R I g h T. If you new customer, bet five bucks, get one hundred million dollars in bonus bets, and then we'll try to give out some plays on the show, see if people follow them. Whatever it is. Again, we have a very long documented history five out of six years of being profitable against the spread and straight up picks. Demons is on a one year run of profitability and teasers, and so we've got six months to kind of prove ourselves for the next football season. But how sick would that being? Picture Demanse's teaser of the week. All right, now to the Eagles piece of it?
Speaker 2: All right, so we we know how you've always felt about Sirianni Jalen Hurts, say struggles the middle, throws across the field, you only like throw it up the sideline. You even referred to Howie Roseman as a mock draft GM.
Speaker 3: So where does this wind put them in your head?
Speaker 1: All right, I'll do Hurts last, let me do Howie. Howie is the apology I owe the loudest to. Even though the doubt was probably the briefest and least renowned. Everybody knows, you know, well documented doubts about Sirianni and the things for good and for bad I've said about Jalen Howie. I I didn't like the fact that when I called him a mock draft GM, what I said was how he rose Men's drafts are very best player available, and they very often best player available is the mock draft consensus best player. And so what would happen after the drafts is all of the people who did mock drafts, how he agreed with a lot of them, would draft said player. And then I'm gonna be like, Howie Roseman crushed it again, and I thought it was a little tagai wag, tag tail wagging the doggish. However, whether that you know, that just means that's the right way to draft, whether it means my analysis was off, whatever, it means that guy is built three distinct Super Bowl contenders and two Super Bowl champions, did it with Carson, rebuilt it on the fly with a totally different defense two years ago with Jalen Hurts, and did it this year. And so I think he has earned the claim of being the second best GM in the entire NFL. So absolutely, I mean, Howie Roseman, he also, you know, seemingly it was him that because we know what in Siriani that picked Kellen Moore and more importantly, Vic Fangio and Vic Fangio just painted his masterpiece. So Howie full credit.
Speaker 3: Right after the defense hues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, last year the worst defensive football, worst defensive football. It turned around with a lot of this and how He's two rookies played great, Quinn and Mitchell and Cooper Dejan. They brought in Zach Bond. He almost won Defensive Player of the Year. Vick was unbelievable. Jalen Carter, who was a risky top ten pick, was the second best d tackle in football arguably this year. So honestly, honest to God, full credit, full credit, Sirianne, I might just not know what football players will relate to from a head coach, like in the so coaches that I have been. Three of the coaches that I have been most skeptical of in the last five years, Dan Campbell after the bite the knees press conference, I just the bite the knee capture the I'm just being honest. My reaction was, Okay, there's like meathead and then there's whatever this is. Turns out he's like the sharpest analytics guy in the world. His players would kill for him. He loved like, he's awesome. My snap reaction was wrong. Second one, Joe Mizzoula. It's like this dude's talking about the floor tastes and like blood. He's watching the town. It was sixteen. He's just like, he's a like, what is going on? He got elevated to a position he wasn't ready for. He's awesome and his players love him. Then they're Sirianni who probably had the single worst opening press conference ever where he seemed very unsure of himself and almost timid. It feels to me like he then over corrected and was like, essentially, I'm just going to embrace every South Philly stereotype there ever has been and be brash and kind of a you know, like provocative in these things. But again, wins are a coaching stat and this team consistently wins. He just won a Super Bowl where his team played one of the best games any team has played in a Super Bowl in forty years. He has to get credit. He he has to be considered one of the five or six best coaches in football. It's not fair to elevate Kevin O'Connell, who I like a lot but has accomplished nothing above Sirianni, it's not right like fair is fair. So even if from a personality standpoint, I don't get it. They've just won sixteen of seventeen games. The one lost their quarterback got hurt. They blew out a team in the NFC Championship Game, and blew out a team trying to be the greatest team volts time in the Super Bowl. Guys have been to the playoffs all four years. They've had two awesome playoff runs like he gets the credit. And then there's Jalen who would you Demond's eight and be honest with me here, You're not gonna hurt, but you're not make me mad hurt my feelings. Would you have described me as a Jalen Hurts hater or a Jailen Hurts skeptic if you were only given those two options, like and again you can.
Speaker 2: I'd say, I'd say you're a Lamar Jackson hater. As far as Jalen Hurts, I'd see it as a skeptic.
Speaker 1: So it's so funny you say that because I obviously I shouldn't say obviously at this point, but I have always thought Lamar is a better player than Jalen. But I've also thought the way I've talked about Lamar and holding him to an MVP standard, and the doubt and the Aaron Judge and James Harden stuff in the choking and Big Games. Calling me a Lamar Jackson hater, certainly compared to the rest of the media, I think was totally fair. I never would consider myself a jail and Hurts hater. I thought that on the line graph of Jalen Hurt's opinions in the media, mine is somewhere in like the thirty fifth percentile. Like I probably was a little more critical of him than the average media member, but certainly not the most and certainly not a guy that I spent a lot of time going after. I just like was kind of matter of fact that, Hey, I think the guy does a lot of things well, but I don't really trust him as a drop back passer. He had that unbelievable game in the Super Bowl two years ago. I haven't seen him do it again since, you know, to use the Barkley terms, you know, he's a bus rider, not a bus driver. Like those are the things I've said, and I'll get to his performance in this game in a moment, but I have to give you that setup for this story. So Saturday night, Clutch Sports party at Brennan's in New Orleans, and it's me your mom Demons again for the new audience members, be like, you're hanging out with your close mom that's also my wife and uh, your mom's best friend. You're on Nicole. And as he's always the case at every party I've ever been to with your mother, particularly when it's your mother and Nicole, We're in there less than five minutes and they have been invited into a section to sit down because their feet hurt and because they're beautiful women and they're just you know, pretty privilege. I think it's called and so. And the people whose section is you know it's you know, basically say you can come into, but I don't. It's not I it's not really my thing. Like I I'm not gonna like there's limited seat space, there's all like the the even at a party like this when the drinks are free, like those are your bottles? Like I think I'm not I'm not gonna I'm not gonna be stand offish. I'm not gonna be rude, but I'm not. I'm not. I'm not crossing the rope so to take you know what I mean. And and also like, you know, I want to move around the room. I know a lot of people there. I you know, get my own drinks and whatever. But they're hanging out there for an hour, hour and a half. I'm moving back and forth. Say hi to my agent, say hi to other people. Are not argue, but you know, Philly fans come up to me and they're like, oh, man, we're gonna kill you tomorrow. And I say, man, I hope you enjoy tonight because tomorrow is gonna be the worst day of your life. Little did I know?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Where a good time? A couple hours into the night. Oh, another context for it, there's a UFC fight on the Big Strickland pay per view and it's on Oh I should have said this. This Clutch Sports party partnered with DraftKings. It's DraftKings Clutch Sports party, so they have a giant video board play in the fight. And where your mom was sitting was like the perfect spot to watch the fight. And I was into the fight. So once the fight started, I moved over to where I'm standing right outside the section watching this fight, and I stand there. You know how I watched non chief sporting events. I just stand totally still, arms crossed, like kind of looking. I don't know crazy is the wrong word, but I'm just like, I'm in in tensely watching the event. So I'm just standing there silently watching the event. But I've now been standing there probably you know. It's five round, five minute round, five round fight. I watched the whole thing standing right there. So it is standing there silently for a half hour, not really thinking, just whatever. Right after the fight ends, this woman comes up to me, who was sitting in the same section but across from your mom, and says, uh, I would like to ask you a question, like of course, And she said, why do you talk so bad about Jalen Hurts And I said, oh, I don't you know. I don't know. I don't know that that's fair. She was like, yes, it is. You always talk bad about it. And I was like, well, you know, I I have questions about his ability as a drop back pass her. It's my opinion, Like, I don't think I've ever been personal, I've ever been unfair. You know, you know, you know, basically agree to disagree, and she's not having it now. She's incredibly polite but very adamant that I have been unfair and I don't even know if inaccurate, but unfair about my Jalen Hurts commentary. So I'm like, okay, you know, like, hey, the we can certainly have this conversation. Because if it were again, this is me showing kind of how my brain works. If it were a guy, particularly a guy my age or younger, I'd have quickly been like, hey, man, you know, agree to disagree whatever. But because it was a woman, and a woman that I perceived to be older than me, I felt like I have an obligation here to be uber respectful and to just you know you, if you really want to have this conversation, we can have this conversation. And so I'm like, let me tell you the good things I've said about Jail. She's like, no, I'm not worried we're talking about that. I'm like, well, no, let me let me paint you the full picture, right, let me paint you the full picture. So I listed that the first time we ever talked about him was when he got benched in college and how well I thought he dealt with that about you know, I go through a bunch of stuff. I was like, and now let me tell you, I think the single most critical thing I've ever said about Jailing that is probably what you were sent or you've seen or whatever. I was like, I called him the weak link of the Eagles offense. I was like, and I know that sounds awful. I was like, but I believe the Eagles have a top two offensive line, a top two receiving corps, a top two running back. I so even if I think Jalen is a top ten quarterback, that would make him the weak link. And she still is like usually like I'm a little charming. I feel like I'm, you know, making the case whatever, not really having it. And then I realized something I should have realized much earlier in the conversation. And I said, man, may ask you a question. Said yes, I said, are you Jalen hurts mother? And she said yes, I am.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, man, I was like, and I told her and I was like, listen, you're putting me in a brutal spot. She was like, I don't know. Again, I don't want to misquote her at all. I don't know if she said, what do you mean or no, I'm not or whatever. I was like, because now that I know you're his mother, what I should do is just say I'm sorry for everything I've ever said, or you know, I'm playing a character. You know, it's my job, whatever it is. I was like, but if I have any hope of you having any respect for me after this, I feel like I have to show you I do believe what I say. I try to never be personal and that we're you know what I mean, we might just have a difference of opinion on certain things, and so like, if you want to continue this conversation, I will do it, like because but ultimately I'm not trying to you know, are like have a weird thing here? And she was like, no, I want to talk. And so we talked for gosh, I don't know, another ten minutes, and at some point a guy came over and I'm not I I think it might have been Jalen's uh dad, but I'm not certain, uh who was. He didn't say anything in the conversation except for the fact that somehow Houston came up and he knew who you were. So my Jalen's dad was a you know, coach to Channel View. Yeah, I mean somehow like my FA that came up, and oh, I the I I kind of remember, I not, I kind of remember, I do remember, I said. I was like, listen, I I was like, my son played high level basketball, nothing like what your son is playing. I was like, but I was like, my son and Jalen, I think, are the exact same age. It's like I and I was like, and I watched my son, you know, play trying to you know, get a college scholarship, play high level basketball, and the guy standing there, he was like, he's like, yeah, I remember. He's like you lived in sugar Land, your son played at sugar Land or your son played in sugar Land, and so that that just now that I'm kind of piecing the night together, I'm like, maybe that was Jalen's dad or just family because they're from Houston and you guys would have been in high school.
Speaker 3: At the same time, same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, and so all that all that would have made sense. And so the reason I even brought it up was I was like, I know, I know how parents watch their kid and then I know how the world watchs their kid like, it's probably not gonna be the exact same thing, whatever it is, And and then you know you don't have to give the entirety of the conversation. She obviously just thinks I'm wrong, which is what a mother should think. The And she thinks Jalen doesn't get enough credit for a lot of the stuff that doesn't show up in the box score, which is totally fair. But I just I tell this long story because it's an unbelievable story, but also because for the ending of it, which is she says, what are you going to say when he wins? And I was like, well, if he and before she goes not if when he wins, and I was like, well, you're not gonna like this answer. It's like, but I'm just I'm just gonna be honest with you. I can't tell you what I'm going to say about a game before I see how the game is played. I was like, and just knowing that they won doesn't tell me enough about how he played for me to be able to tell you what I will say. It's like, what I will guarantee you is this, if they win, I won't criticize him on Monday. It's like, I can guarantee you that what's never happened is team wins the super Bowl as an underdog against one of the greatest teams ever. And I'm like, man, their quarterback wasn't good. It's like, I can promise you I won't criticize him. I was like, I can't promise you. I'm gonna give him the level of praise you want, you would want me to before I see the game. And again, I don't think she loved the answer, but I just I was like, listen, like, you know, agree, this is what it is. And she was incredibly gracious and a very sweet woman. And then I shook the other guy's hand. Then another guy came over, guy your age, maybe a little younger, and he came over and I put out to shake his hand and I said, hey, what's your name? And he was not of the mood of the other participants, who's like, doesn't matter what my name is. I was like, okay, got it, no problem. I was like, I'm Nick, nice to meet you. Like, I don't know there's Jalen's cousin. I don't know who it was, but yeah, I got serious cousin vibes, and I'm like, Okay, you know what I mean. This has gone about as well as it could have gone all things considered. Yeah, And so that was that. So I tell all that story to now answer the question what am I gonna say? And what I'm gonna say is after that performance, it is I have had a top five quarterbacks list of Mahomes, Alan Burrow, Lamar Stafford pretty consistently over the last three years. There's been movement two through five, but that's basically been my list, and that has been on the back of Matt staff Matt Stafford's inclusion. There has been because man, guy kicked ass in Super Bowl, won a Super Bowl? Howm gonn Super Bowl champion quarterbacks still playing well are there? Like it's him, Mahomes and then Russell, who's different player, Rogers, different player, Brady's gone, Like, winning a Super Bowl really matters a lot. Winning a Super Bowl in part because you played great and playing great in multiple Super Bowls has to matter a lot. So what I'll say is Jalen Hurts now deserves to be just considered one of the five best quarterbacks it even if you have questions about his down to down, drop back passing ability, as I still do. He's a big game player. He's an incredibly tough player. He's a leader that deals with a very tough personality in aj an eccentric head coach. He never causes any problems or distractions for team. He agrees to continually run the toush push and that's a brutal play that really is so valuable to them. And he just thoroughly outplayed Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl and beat him. And he also the guy who I had there, Matt Stafford. He beat him in a game that Stafford played well, but Stafford made the big mistake in Jalen didn't with the fumble. So fair's fair, Like it's not right to just say Justin Herbert at this point is better than Jalen Hurts. It's not like the the arm talent is one thing, like that's not everything has to do with playing quarterback in this league. And he played great in the conference championship game. He played great in the Super Bowl for the second time. He had one turnover the whole playoff run. He stepped up in the biggest moments. He's earned that flatly. He's just earned that, so there's the answer. This episode of What's Right is brought to you by DAYA Pizza featuring dairy free cheese made with their new DAYA oat Cream Blend. Dairy free cheese come a long way with and DAYA is leading the charge their pizzas all for the Melton stretch or traditional cheese without any dairy. Each day of Pizza starts with perfectly criss cross layered with savory toppings, and finished with cheese that melts and stretches beautifully. The DAYA oat Cream Blend delivers a creamy, cheesy texture that's indistinguishable from dairy based options. Every pizza is crafted to be dairy free, making the great choice for anyone seeking more inclusive meal options without compromising on taste. Data takes the concept of dairy free to a new level, eliminating fau MoU fair fear of missing dairy. These pizzas delivered delicious taste and tech sure, making them perfect for any occasion from casual dinners to game day spreads. Enjoy a full move free pizza night with DAYA. Visit dayafoods dot com for more information or find DAYA Pizza retailers like Whole Foods, Kroger, and Walmart coming soon to select publics and sprouts. Follow Daya on Instagram and TikTok for more updates. All right, Demansey, We're gonna have to save the halftime show thoughts for a time when I've watched it because I was nervously circling the block. Have not watched it, and I'll be honest, I may never see it. I don't know if I'll be able to like again. And I like Kendrick, but I don't know, yeah, exactly. We're gonna also have to save the story I tweeted about about your mom on the plane for later, because we've gone an hour twenty almost and I do want to talk about Lucas de last night, so go ahead and set it up.
Speaker 2: So he played for about twenty three minutes last night, fifteen to five and four. He's won for seven from from three. But the chemistry out there is looking good. Looks like they play together. Well yep, yeah, So obviously La made the seventy seven shirts to give away to the fans of the arena.
Speaker 3: Everybody's very exceptive.
Speaker 1: And Lebron text Luca during the day and said, we're going to introduce you last today. Now, Luca made it clear, because like that's a big thing. Now, Luca made it, Yeah, the final introduction, that's the you know, the star of the team or whatever. Luca then made it clear after the game that that was a one time thing and it's going to go back to Lebron being introduced last and so. And Luca is obviously the best player on the team, but Lebron's Lebron, so he's gonna be he's introduced last. That's fine, man. I know intellectually that the Lakers' lack of rim protection because the Mark Williams trade got vetoed, should recap them. I know that from just a history of watching basketball. But I also know this, we have never in NBA history had two players with the combined IQ and combined passing ability of Luca and Lebron James on the same team. And you saw just glimpses of it last night. But what that will mean for the Lakers offense, I think people are actually underestimating. I think this can be a top three offense in basketball, and a top three offense you're a contender. If you have a top three offense, you still probably have to find a way to have a top fifteen defense, but you don't need a top three defense to be a contender if you have that offense. And what you also saw last night, Demons, what you have seen since the trade was made is a truly invigorated Lebron James, who last night on both ends of the court offense and defense, was dialed in in a way that he's not going to be able to be dialed in every single night, but because of Luca, he's not going to need to be so from defense.
Speaker 3: More effort on defense from Luca.
Speaker 1: To sure, But honestly, I don't care as much about that. I don't like I want Ideally Luca takes such an offensive burden off Lebron that he can then because even at age forty, Lebron is if if that's where he's expending his energy, is a better defender than Luca. And since we have got wind of this trade, what we have gotten from Lebron in four games and four victories is thirty one, eleven and nine on fifty seven fifty splits. Again, is he going to keep that up? No? But his season as is right now is one of the most remarkable things I've seen in the last decade in the NBA Lebron at age forty in year twenty two on a team that's winning without a co star for the last couple of weeks because Ad was out and Luca just got there. That is right now essentially tied for third in the West, him giving you twenty four, eight and nine on fifty two thirty nine splits. And now you add Luca, who is going to rip the league's eyes out with anger. That's a tough team, man, and you I thought it was really important last night that Dirk showed up. Dirk showing up for that game means even the greatest mav in franchise history doesn't buy this idea that behind the scenes Luca was some train wreck and that he's got his back. Lebron saying to Luca, f fitting in, fit out, Luca, do your thing, has to be the coolest thing imaginable. He might be like guys Nick, he's a five time first small NBA guy. He's been discussed from the best player in the league. All that in Luca, all that's true, doesn't change the fact Lebron was his basketball idol, the guy he he mirrored his game off of and Lebron is saying to Luca, hey man, you got the car keys bro And again last night he didn't play out that way because he was on a minute's restriction. It was a blowout. He didn't play in the fourth quarter. Luca is going to be so sensational and so motivated, and it is going to take such a burden off of Lebron that you all of a sudden look at the Western Conference standings and you say, well, if you could just somehow freeze them right now, I think the Lakers would take it. Denver the three, Lakers the four, so that you would be on the opposite side of the bracket is Denver and you get Houston in round one. Sign me up. And I know that would then mean I guess the absolute best thing imaginable would be Lakers catching Denver and being the three and being on the opposite side of the bracket of Okac and Denver. That should be the goal now that I'm actually talking this through. The perfect runout for the Lakers in theory would be because oka See is the one and it's locked that somehow they catch Denver and Denver falls to the four and Denver and oka See play each other. Now, Lucas had a great history against ok See with his okay See team is great. But you cannot dismiss the Lakers' chances of coming out of the Western Conference because right now what they have is a top three player in Luca. And where is Lebron right now? The way he's playing, Remove from your head that he is in year twenty two and age forty, with how he is playing. Who are the guys in the league that are definitively better than him? Joker, Yannis, Luca Shay Indeed, come on, no, I mean Embeid doesn't play. I was I'm gonna give it. I'm gonna say, I'm just gonna include this in the definitively better than him.
Speaker 2: Tatum, Oh yeah, I was gonna say, Tatum.
Speaker 1: I'm the Is there anyone on the Grizzlies?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Is there anyone on the Rockets?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I don't. Anthony Edwards. Sure give it to him, Anthony Edwards. Yes, all right, So now we're at six. I just the way my brain works, I just need to like go team by team. But Wimby because he's the best defensive player in the sport. Okay, Wimby. Yes, we're at seven. I think I think that's the list. I don't think Donovan right now is better than Lebron. I don't think Jalen Brunson right now is better than Lebron. And the other old guys Durant and Steph are not better than Lebron right now. So if you're the Lakers and you have a top three guy and a conservatively top ten guy, maybe the eighth best guy in the league this year, Anthony Davis would have had a claim too, but he's hurt. Again, that's a dangerous team man. And Lebron's ability to now pace himself to take games off, which again, he's played forty seven games this year, So what does that mean. He's missed four what the Lakers. He's played forty seven. The Lakers have played fifty one. He he's missed four. And it also means, by the way, le Bron's gonna catch another All NBA team because if it even was borderline, all these other guys are gonna be ineligible. Ad Now is gonna be ineligible because he's not gonna play sixty five games. Lucas ineligible. He is not playing sixty five games. They're like Kawhi's I think he's gonna BEA's not playing well enough anyway, He's playing fine, but he's gonna be ineligible like uh, obvious, obviously Imbiid's not gonna be eligible like those guys aren't playing. And so I I never thought this Lakers team was going to be fascinating from a championship standpoint, But now they have Luka Ancic. And if Luca can take Kyrie and role players to the finals, what about when it's Lebron and role players? Now again, those MAVs role players, they had multiple centers. There's a reason the Lakers trade for Mark Williams. I get all that, but look out, and there are some games I'm circling personally.
Speaker 3: Does a Lakers chip makeup for what just happened on Sunday? A little bit?
Speaker 1: Maybe fifty Nothing could make up for what happened on Sunday, but it is it would salve the wound a bit. Okay, Lakers next three demands A yeah, Utah, Charlotte Portland. Now Portland's playing better, but you're gonna be able to get on, you know, And they've they've already won six in a row. They should get to that national TV game against Denver on a nine game winning streak, and then at Denver on ABC a week from Saturday, and home for Dallas on TNT two weeks from today. Oh man, A tough stretch Denver, Dallas, Minnesota, Clippers, Clippers, New Orleans, not tough New York, Boston, you know. So like they've got some tough stretches. And at the end of the year when they're gonna be fighting for seating because of the wildfires, they moved some games. They have a five game in seven night stretch that he's home for the Warriors, home for New Orleans on a back to back, then at OKAC, then at Okay se again, and then Luca's return to Dallas on a back to back. So that that five game stretch you're working, Yeah, absolutely is brutal. But that's you know, that's right before the postseason, all right, ninety minute.
Speaker 3: Show ze for the.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, everybody seemed to know that was going to happen. Thank you for the breaking news on it, but I I didn't mean to dismiss it. My point is the Saints being one of the first teams to fire their coach and then not not hiring a coach didn't make sense, so they were just waiting on that, all right. Thank you to DraftKings, thank you to the Volume, thank you to people Blue Duck. Thank you to you to Monsday. See you guys on Thursday, see you on. I'll be on with Colin in an hour. Oh jeez, it's new and I gotta go. I'll be on Colin an hour, and i'll be on First Things First and three hours. What's right,