Speaker 1: LinkedIn News.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're not gonna go to your manager and be like, hey, you're micro manager and you got a chill or you know, you're not giving me feedback and I'm struggling.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it is a little vocal, like this is not the vibe, but I think having that conversation and being like, I'm struggling because of you, Like, how do you go about that in a professional way?
Speaker 2: You know, like what's like the professional way of saying it's you, it's actually you?
Speaker 1: I would say, don't by not saying that? Figure out?
Speaker 4: Avoid do not? How did not? How don't you have hired one one?
Speaker 5: You really talking offline then, because baby, you can't get online because you don't have no job.
Speaker 2: From LinkedIn News and I heard podcasts, this is Let's Talk Offline, a show about what it takes to thrive in the early years of your career without sacrificing your values, sanity or sleep.
Speaker 5: I'm Giana Prudenti and I'm Jamay Jackson Gadson. By a show of hands, how many of us have had.
Speaker 1: A bad manager?
Speaker 5: Hand is a raised girl, all of my hands, my toes, everything is up.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: The truth of the matter is a manager can make or break how you show up at work. I mean, first of all, not every boss is going to be super supportive, or even have great communication skills, or even be that girl gender neutral.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have to figure out how to.
Speaker 5: Make your manager work for you, but more importantly, how to show up as your best self at work.
Speaker 1: When you're dealing with bad managers.
Speaker 2: It really comes down to just making the best of your situation. You know, your manager's supposed to be your number one supporter, and when they're not, it can be really challenging and feel like such an obstacle. So even if they don't got your back, we do, and we're going to help you figure out how to build a good relationship with your boss, no matter how difficult.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jamay, what up? G Okay?
Speaker 2: Today we're talking all about what makes a good and a bad boss and how to establish a good working relationship with them.
Speaker 4: Spicy, Spicy, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: You Know something I hear a lot of times is that people don't quit jobs, they quit bad bosses. And I think there's some truth to that, because having a bad manager is a reason why a lot of people switch roles and of course.
Speaker 4: No one wants that. Like you don't go into a job.
Speaker 2: I don't go into a job expecting that to happen, wanting that to happen. But it's going to likely occur at some point in your career. So how do you then build the best working relationship with that challenging boss.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about that today, but.
Speaker 2: Before we get into it, to May, I want to know what do you look for in a manager?
Speaker 4: What makes a good boss in your eyes?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: I love this question because exactly what you said. I think people leave bad bosses they can't make it work. It's like a toxic relationship. You really want to stick it out, but I gotta go. I gotta get out of here. Now you're setting cars on fire like Angela Bassett. But for me, I get to see this from bost perspectives because I've been a manager, and I've also been an icy, an individual contributor who reports to a manager.
Speaker 1: For me, I love managers who.
Speaker 5: Are super communicative, who are personable, right like every once in a while, the manager who remembers it's your birthday, or like it's your anniversary or whatever.
Speaker 1: That's so sweet to me.
Speaker 5: I also do like someone who's really gonna have your back, Like you really want to see your manager as like someone in your army or your toolkit, like if you're gonna go out on the battleground, like you want them to be able to codebat with you. So advocacy, I think is something really important for me.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I a thousand percent agree. I think somebody who's going to like fight that battle for you. Of course, like you're gonna have to do that for yourself as well, but somebody who's willing to you know, advocate for you in meetings when it comes to promotions. All of that creates space for you, I think is so important. And on that piece on like creating space, something my manager does really well that I really appreciate is he creates space for me to learn and grow. I think sometimes it's hard for people to give up, you know, responsibilities and let people take ownership. I mean that's something transparently I totally struggle with. Like if I was to be a manager right now, I would totally be a micronasor.
Speaker 1: At least you know yourself, No.
Speaker 4: I'm self aware, that's one thing about me I know.
Speaker 2: But he really has you know, created a reputation for himself, and now he's giving me ownership over things that he used to once owned so that I can do the same. So I think that's something that's really important, as somebody who trusts you to get the work done and is going to put you in you know, the spotlight when they have the opportunity to, rather than continue to micromanage. And also somebody who you know, boosts your visibility, like when it comes to advocacy. Another thing that's big for me is somebody who offers support and guidance because when you start out, you turn to your manager any insight on like how to succeed in your role, how to succeed in the company. So somebody who's willing to share those learnings, and somebody who has more historical knowledge that they're willing to share with you, because otherwise you can really feel lost. And of course you have your allies and your peers and all of that, but your manager really is somebody who should be able to, you know, clear those roadblocks and help you kind of get to where you want to go.
Speaker 4: I think that's really useful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I also have to remind myself sometimes that We're still just people at the end of the day. You know, when I first started out, there were a lot of managers who kind of really created that hard work life balance. I mean, first of all, there was none. Like I've said before in other episodes, we was just working. Girl were just working. But like I do think nowadays, I like more empathetic leaders and managers, people who are going to see you. You know, I had to take a day off from work recently because I was I woke up and I had this terrible migraine, and I obviously I could have tried to push through, but like I reached out to my manager and I was just like, hey, I can't do it. If you let me go to work today, it's gonna be a little weird. And she was like, please stay home, I drink, go to sleep, and I was like, oh, thank you. So, like, you know, you just sort of sometimes need managers who just get it. And I do think that those are sometimes signs of good managers. There are people who just remember, at the end of the day, we are all people. We're all having a lived experience, and sometimes we just need grace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that goes back to what you said earlier about like leaning. By example, if you know my manager takes off because he or she is having a migraine, then I'm gonna feel better about doing it myself. And you know, my manager now always is like, take care of yourself, that comes first. So you know, those are the things we look for and a good manager. But of course there is the bad and the ugly. Have you ever had a bad experience with the manager? Oh?
Speaker 1: Girlame, do we have this coffee? Ain't strong enough?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Throughout my career, I've had a couple of different bad managers, and they've been bad for a number of different reasons. You know, sometimes I think what's important for people to remember, including myself, is that I don't think anyone is inherently good or bad. I think people maybe don't have the necessary managerial training.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm thankful that the jobs well, at least at LinkedIn. When I became a manager, we went through extensive managerial training. Now, the first one ever became a manager. I was just out on my own and I had to figure it out. And honestly, I used the traumas of bad managers past to guide me so that I could be a better person. For me, I felt that usually what was the pinnacle like trademark of a bad manager, where again the people who just don't speak my name in rooms. I'll never forget. There was this one time with the manager who, for whatever reason, she would just never invite me into meetings. There would be projects that I would be involved in, and then when it came time to presentation, I just somehow never got the calendar invite.
Speaker 1: I never found out.
Speaker 5: And then people later on would be like, oh, someone so presented this and I was like, wait, that's weird.
Speaker 1: I remember working on that. I will never forget.
Speaker 5: She had a friend who was also a senior leader in this company, and then this person started to see me more around and then they they were like, oh, let's meet up, let's have coffee. Got to know me and was like, wow, I actually see something in you. You know, I will be an advocate and ally and I'll never forget. There came a day when she sat down and she was like, I'm just telling you, I really think that you need to change managers. Mind you, this is her friend she is talking about. I was like, wait, what's going on with Tea? She was like, we got out of a meeting recently, and I only knew that this was your project because you had already shown it to me for feedback, but she presented it as.
Speaker 4: Hers not stealing the credit, stealing.
Speaker 5: The credit and then honey, they went out to happy hour and my boss told her that she didn't like me because she was intimidated. She said, she said, Jamay is doing X, Y and Z really well, and when I was her age, I wasn't doing that. So it was a crazy thing. That was the first time I ever actually realized that to some bosses, especially, I think if you're not if you don't know yourself, if you're not happy with yourself, if you don't go to bed at night hugging yourself, that's when you start looking at everybody else and being mad at them. Because I was like, baby, these are God giving gifts. I don't know what you want me to do, Like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know her fault. It's not my fault. Like and it was.
Speaker 5: It was wild, but that experience has always been seared in my memory because you might think that because they're more senior than you, that they are not intimidated, they're not threatened, and baby, there's something you are bringing to that table.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: If you have a good manager, they will see that as talent and gifts that they can use and they can help cultivate to help you unlock your potential. But unfortunately that's not always the case. I sometimes say that the best life lessons of mine have come from my bad managers and not the good ones. The good ones are great, but it's those bad ones that sort of teach you what you do not want to be if you ever become a manager, and even if you decide you never want to be a manager, what you want to look out for in future employers.
Speaker 1: What about you, Giana, I.
Speaker 5: Mean you you always you always talk about your good manager.
Speaker 1: Girls like talking about like a good man. Okay, I get it, we all.
Speaker 5: Want one, Okay, But have you ever actually had a bad manager?
Speaker 2: I have? Oh so, since I started at LinkedIn, I've had three managers. They've all been exceptional. But early, early, early in my career, early teen days, when I was working at my first ice cream shop.
Speaker 1: I love ice cream shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're throwing it way back. No, honestly, that was like the most pivotal experience. It really sticks with me.
Speaker 4: I had a really toxic.
Speaker 2: Boss who I don't even know if I've ever ever met the guy in person, Like he just like was, you know, hanging over all of us and would call the shop NonStop during people's shifts and would just ask us questions like make sure we were busy all this stuff. So he was just like overbearing already. And then it came to this one day, I like couldn't make my shift. Something was going on, and I called in advance and I was like, Hey, I'm not going to be able to make my shift in a few days. Need to take me off the calendar. And he basically threatened.
Speaker 4: Me over the phone and was like you need to.
Speaker 2: Be there like this whole thing. I got so read I was in this store. I was like, oh my god, I don't know why did I call while right there?
Speaker 1: Do you over ice cream?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, it's like so serious, serious business. So yeah, I decided to quit after that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm owt.
Speaker 2: Also, they had rats, so I was like I gotta go, Like, this is not the Vibe ice cream shop. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was about to say, you can't just threaten people. That's not really how it really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did the opposite of what he said.
Speaker 2: I was like by the way, and I sent a whole like, very strongly worded text and it was beautifully written and had my mom drag him for phil No, I was just like, I don't feel safe in this environment anymore, boo.
Speaker 4: A corporate woman since like fifteen I was, I was ready.
Speaker 5: You stood on business I as a child, I get I like it and I'm proud of that.
Speaker 2: We really hope you have an amazing manager and there will never be a problem. But in case you have a not so great boss, stick around because we're going to talk about how to deal with the difficult manager after the break.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, so we are back.
Speaker 5: We have been talking about good managers, bad managers, left managers, right managers, all the managers.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of manager you'll talk and I am digging it.
Speaker 2: You deal with bad managers at some point in your career. And I want to bring in a question from one of our listeners. Next this is Dear Work Bestie, where we answer your questions. This week's question comes from Stina in California.
Speaker 6: How do I deal with favoritism in the workplace? I had a manager who I felt played favorites in my opinion, I think they promoted someone who wasn't necessarily ready over another colleague who's been there longer and produced the same call of work. How do I balance professionalism with my boss and speaking out against toxicity within the team at the same time.
Speaker 4: Dang, not the favoritism. That's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, she mentioned somebody on her team got promoted over somebody else. I think with that, like, the reality is you don't really know what happens behind closed doors when it comes to promotions. But I'm sure and I can imagine I would feel the same Instina's position, like is this going to happen to me at some point? Yeah, it seems like this also happened in the past, but in the future, like you will maybe deal with favoritism again. So I think it's understanding across the team, like are you all being measured on the same metrics? Like if your one colleague who just got promoted is doing something differently, maybe they have weekly one on ones with their managers where they're really great about, you know, bragging about their wins. That's something that a lot of us struggle with. So maybe that colleague is serving up their wins in a different way. Or they have different metrics that they're you know, being measured against. Then I think that shows you what you could be doing. Maybe I need to be boosting my own visibility by telling my manager what's going on, keeping them.
Speaker 4: In the loop.
Speaker 2: And then also maybe there's an argument for saying across the team, I think we all need to be measured the same because we all have similar roles. So how can we kind of just like do a team wide assessment of you know, different metrics for us. Yeah, but of course, like if it's just your manager is best friends with that colleague who got promoted over other people, and there's like blatant favoritism in that way, you know, find an ally on your team, don't gossip with them. But you know, maybe other people are experiencing this as well and observing it. And then of course if you can't resolve on your own, you might have to just speak to someone higher up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like all those tips.
Speaker 5: Now, Stina, I'm gonna lean in a little bit more, and I'm gonna give you a little bit of tough love. Feelings are not facts you said. In my opinion, I think you probably saw something outside looking, but to me, in Gianna's point, you don't know the entire situation, So I would always just say go into any situation remembering that your feelings are not facts, right, and so sometimes we have to take a step back and make sure that we sort between the two. You don't necessarily know if the person who got promoted was not ready, because your manager could put you up for promotion, but if other people in the room can't speak to you or attest to you, it's going to be really, really, really difficult for them to push through. So clearly enough people believe that this person needed to be promoted at the next level now. But that being said, I do want to also say that I empathize with this because calling out toxicity in the workforce can feel super scary, and especially when you feel like that is going to cross a line of professionalism with your boss. So I have a couple of thoughts about this, particularly speaking as a former manager, but more importantly as a black and Latino woman who has had to navigate this. First of all, document everything. People say this all the time. My mom hadn't told me since I was three years old. Document everything. You need to write down who you were talking to, what time, what people were wearing, whatever, because you never know when you're gonna have.
Speaker 1: To really pull in that.
Speaker 5: Honey. Look, I have pulled out a booklip before and I'd be like, I remember because you were drinking this. And this is because because people will try to play you. Okay, I'll say this every podcast episode. People will try to play you, and I'm gonna play the game.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: But you need to document everything. Yes, if this is your actual experience, you can start documenting. So for either of these people, if you start to see that there is favoritism happening, start documenting little things that you start seeing your manager do document the conversations you are having.
Speaker 1: Also, more than.
Speaker 5: Likely your job has job ladders, which are sort of like what we call, you know, job ladders, career profiles. They're called different things in different companies, but essentially it is a written out document, usually approved by senior leaders on your team and HR that will explicitly call out the roles and responsibility at each level. So, Stina, this is a great opportunity for you to also ask your manager do you want all have this? And if you do, let's all review it together as a team. And if you don't that's an opportunity to maybe have a conversation with HR to say, like, I really want to make sure that we are equitably being you know, reinforced across the board with all of our roles and responsibilities. Can we explore building a job ladder so that we can all see very straight up, in black and white, what is expected of us and how to get to the next level.
Speaker 2: That's such a good point because you might not always know what it takes to get to that next level, So make sure you one have the understanding, and then like also benchmark yourself against your colleague. You know, what are they doing that I should be doing? And how can then you implement that into your own you know, workflow, and especially in your relationship with your manager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think in.
Speaker 2: Steena's case or anybody's case, when you're dealing with a bad manager, you first have to assess the situation. You have to identify how does that person work, and then how do I work and kind of try to bridge that gap. And this is applicable for everybody. So whether they play favorites like in Stinas situation, or maybe for example, they're a micromanager. So let's say they are a micromanager. You know, they frequently ask for updates and they closely monitor your work.
Speaker 4: You feel like you always have eyes on you. Yeah, you know that's tough.
Speaker 1: I've had those. Yeah, not fun.
Speaker 4: Not fun.
Speaker 2: So in this case, I feel like a lot of times it can be super frustrating to work under somebody who you feel like, Okay, they don't trust me to clearly get the work done because they're constantly asking for updates and I feel like they're.
Speaker 4: Holding me back.
Speaker 2: Right, I think what you could do is have a conversation with your manager and be like, hey, you know, I'm going to take the first pass of this assignment. Can I share it with you by end of week for feedback? Like literally create that deadline for yourself so that they know you don't want any feedback until Friday, right, and maybe they'll still check in, you know. I think it takes time for people to relearn their habits, Like I said transparently, Like I think I'm a micromanager right now. I have trouble because I'm very particular about the way I do things, and I, you know, want great quality with my work, so it's hard to give that up, right, So I imagine I would be checking in with people a lot, and that's a habit you need to kind of break, So give them some grace in all of that. Also, side note, if you're not having one on one meetings or bi weekly meetings with your manager, you should totally set those up. That's something like I always ask people if my friends are saying, you know, I'm struggling with my manager right now, I like, do you check in with them at all? Like, what's the kind of culture of meetings like there? Because if you're not having a direct line of contact with your manager and your meeting regularly, it's an opportunity for you to set that up so that you can share updates in you know, those meetings, and you can come prepare, write that out, share with them afterwards, and be like, here's the summary of what I said. And it's also an opportunity for you guys to build trust, right, That's ultimately what it comes down to when it's a micromanager.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And what I particularly appreciate about all of the tips that you just shared is that you are playing an active role in your career. Like one thing I everyone takes away when they listen to this podcast is that you are in the driver's seat of your career and we can give you all the tips of how to manage it, how to drive I mean, child, don't take tips for me because I don't know how to drive. But either way, we want to give you guys the tools. But at the end of the day, you have to remember that this is your career and you have to take the helm. I say that because one of the mistakes that I have found sometimes being a manager is that my direct reports are expecting me to do all the work.
Speaker 4: For you, right, and you got to manage up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, manage up. Come to your manager having already done some of the work. But this also goes back again to that open communication and having that dialogue with people you know, so you even asking them like how do you manage right? Like the same way we have personality, you know, Meyer Briggs or whatever, like all them things like you have those.
Speaker 1: Things for managers too, and people.
Speaker 5: You should come into the workforce understanding how you like to work, how you like to communicate, how you like to get your work done, and you should also be able to answer the same things about your manager. So I really think that taking the onus on yourself to help manage that relationship is going to be great.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you because you've been a manager, something I am definitely fearful of, and I'm sure many people my age are is saying, I mean, you're not gonna go to your manager and be like, hey, you're micro a manager and you got a chill or you know, you're not giving me feedback and I'm struggling out.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's a little vocal'll like this is not the vibe.
Speaker 2: But I think having that conversation and being like I'm struggling because of you, Like, how do you go about that in a professional way? You know, like what's like the professional way of saying it's you.
Speaker 1: It's actually you? I would say, don't by not saying that avoid do not?
Speaker 4: How did not?
Speaker 5: Do you really want talking offline then? Because baby, you can't get online because you don't have no job. No, But I really do think that there is a way for you to come about it and just being like, hey, I think that you know, we could help bridge this communication gap a little bit better and figuring out like come with them with a specific example and figuring out, Okay, so here's how it didn't work, but like, here's my proposed solution and then asking them. One of the key tools in my toolkit job is coming up with a good idea and then giving it to somebody else and letting them think it was their own.
Speaker 1: It will save you so much.
Speaker 5: It's the best thing ever, because then all of a sudden, you know they're going throughut their day and they'd be like, oh, actually, I.
Speaker 1: Think we should. That is such a great idea. That is amazing, girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: What you have taught me so much in this moment, knowing darn well that you were the one that planted that scene, but you don't.
Speaker 1: But run with it. Run with it, because.
Speaker 5: No, you never want to just say like you know it's you. But what you can do is just being like, you know what I think think that since you know you are so swamped, you are so busy right now, I can help take something off of your plate. How about I own the workstream of this project from A to Z whatever else. This is really where managing upsteps in right and especially if like you are a little bit more of that hands on like micro manager of your own life thing, this is gonna be perfect for you, because essentially what you're telling your manager is you can take a step back and I will own this. Yeah, and if you are not that person, then you also have the opportunity here to own this in a way that your manager is not like hounding you, but also you get to kind of determine the outcome a little bit better.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also want to quickly add like this can feel super isolating, and we're talking about having a conversation directly with your manager, but I'm sure your other teammates are experiencing this as well. Like, I know you're all excite eying each other in the team's meetings. You're like, hmm, like anyone else picking up on this? Like, there are gonna be other people on your team who are you know, experiencing the same thing as you. You don't obviously want to gossip with them, but I think you can turn to somebody who you trust and be like, hey, are you also struggling with X y Z. Maybe you guys are on the same project together, so it feels super you know, close to home, girl, So find an ally on your team and maybe you guys can come up together with an action plan, especially if you're younger and maybe you're the youngest on the team. And I'm sure a lot of people listening experience that find somebody who is a bit more senior and be like, hey, you know, is this also your experience and how are you dealing with it? Is there something I can be doing better? And like, together, should we come up with a plan to kind of, you know, fix what's going on here?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What I really appreciate about you saying that is that that has been an experience I have lived where I was dealing with a manager once and I really started to feel that he was racist, and I started doing everything that I suggested. I started documenting everything, I started making notes about certain things that he would say to me. And it wasn't until one day when our whole team got together that I started asking other people in the room. I've said, have you ever had this experience with this person. One thing that came out of that was that all of the women on the team had a very different experience with this manager than the men, and then the people of color on the team had a very different experience too. So I just want to say that because especially when you start adding in other layers of the isms right that come into play sometimes in the workforce, it's really terrifying and you feel gas.
Speaker 4: Lit and you are like, is it just me?
Speaker 5: But I do want to say that you building a report, even with your teammates, is going to allow you to start gut checking. Remember if feelings are not facts, but if you can start getting facts documented and all of you can collectively come together to say like, this is how this person is doing this versus that, that helps build a stronger case for you, whether that's going to HR or my last tip, which is walking away. Yeah, I don't ever want anyone to feel, oh my god, why I feel emotional saying this, Oh my god, it's just but it's true because sometimes by the time you are ready to walk away, you feel like you have exhausted every option you have, maybe even to some degree lost yourself in the process, and it's not good. I want to say that any job that makes you feel like you can't be you is not a job that deserves you. And you have to determine when you walk away, and you have to determine that it is okay to walk away, because let me tell you this, anything that I have ever walked away from I have never regretted maybe in that moment right because you always think there's nothing bigger, better, you know, more lovelier, more gold, and that's going to come along, and I guarantee you something else well. At the end of the day. If you feel like you have done all that you can to make it work and you are still not seeing any improvement, you're still not seeing your manager try, you're not feeling like you're getting supportive HR, it is absolutely okay to walk away. What I would say is create your exit strategy plan, but don't feel like you have failed. If you have to walk away, you actually are very strong if you are preserving your mental health.
Speaker 1: Mental health above all things. Yeah, mental health and mimosas.
Speaker 2: Sometimes Digress really is Greeners elsewhere with mimosas.
Speaker 5: After the break? How do you end your emails? Are you using sincerely maybe warm regards? Would you ever consider using sleigh and stay hydrated? That's next, Love Gianna and Jamay.
Speaker 2: I really love that convote to May because it's, you know, really intimidating when you're early in your career and feel like somebody who's supposed to be there to support and encourage you is a roadblock. So it's great to learn from your experience both as an ICEE and as a manager. And I think something I'm taking away from this conversation is it's really just about making like the best of the situation and seeking support from other people around you and filling in the gaps. Like your manager at the end of the day, can't be your end all be all. It's really great if they are your biggest cheerleader, but if you're not getting the mentorship or the guidance from them, you can see that support elsewhere through an official mentor So it's really about you know, doing your best to communicate and then filling in the gaps when you need to.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 5: I think for me, you know, one thing that I really want to hone in is just like again documenting things and having like that group of people in your life who you trust, whether that is other co workers or family and friends right who you know are not going to just be yes men, who are going to actually listen and give you real feedback because sometimes you are the problem. Also, I would say extending grace to people. You know, there was a time in my life as a manager where so many things were happening in my personal life.
Speaker 1: I probably didn't show up the best for my team.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't necessarily say I was a bad manager or a toxic manager, but that is a moment where her direct reports can really step up and manage up because you really don't know what's going on in other people's lives. And then lastly, that you are actually really strong if you decide to walk away, and at the end of the day, when you look back on this, you want a career that you are proud of. And I can guarantee you as someone who walked away religiously in the beginning part of her career from places that did not serve her or if she felt she had outgrown very quickly, I look back on those now and everything was working for my good. So do not think that any of this is going to stifle you from you know, the rest of your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this was.
Speaker 5: Fun, but girl, I want to do some talk about some things that are either gonna make it cool or cringe. You guys, this is one of my favorite parts of the show. It is called cool or cringe, where we get to talk about some of those really questionable aspects of the workplace and decide whether they are cool or cringe.
Speaker 1: Gianna, what are we talking about this week?
Speaker 2: I'm so excited for this one. It's non traditional email sign offs, and I've seen a lot, especially on TikTok, with some gen Z people signing emails in really fun, creative ways, like crying in the cubicles.
Speaker 1: So wait, that was a sign off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how serious these are, but I see them and they always make me laugh. So we're going to get into that. But before we do, Jamay, how do you sign your emails?
Speaker 1: That's a really good question. I actually don't even know.
Speaker 5: I think I just I think I go simple with it. I'm just be like, you know, all the best. I think I'm an all the best person because I am wishing you.
Speaker 1: The best most most of the time.
Speaker 5: If I do not wish you the best, I will remove that part and it'll just be jamay anything. After that, I started getting like a little whoa, Okay, this is interesting if I were to change it, though. I don't know if anyone listening saw the BET Awards when Usher got his like Lifetime Achievement award, but his whole audio cut off. But then there was a point where he caught back on. He was like, I'm trying to meet up his ex wife, so I think that would be my email sign on.
Speaker 1: Off, I'm trying LinkedIn.
Speaker 4: I'm trying Jamaica. That's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well we're going to get into some some different spicy email sign offs. Our producer has prepared some real life email signatures people have used, and we are going to read them.
Speaker 4: Now. I'm nervous. We haven't seen we haven't seen them. It's okay, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go first.
Speaker 4: G it's giving sorty bedat. Oh okay, I'm nervous, okay, because you're saying here's line. Oh god, I.
Speaker 1: Don't even want to read that. I'm scared to go ahead.
Speaker 2: Okay, looking forward to next week's presentation. In the meantime, have a great weekend. Stay litty, Emily, stay litty.
Speaker 1: Oh Emily, Emily, no woman that you are. Why would you you know, stay litty?
Speaker 2: I think if you're if I'm messaging you and that's our vibe, like we're friends. Maybe, I mean I wouldn't wouldn't say that, but like something more casual, casual like this maybe, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: If stelady has a place in the workplace, but.
Speaker 1: Also like where do you work? Right, like because like maybe she's just.
Speaker 5: Trying to have a let weekend, clearly, clearly, well, but this is like a date. Wait, because she was saying have a great weekend, right, Yeah, she wants you to be lit a weekend too. Yeah, be careful about that, right.
Speaker 1: Girl. Take a deep breath.
Speaker 5: Okay, if you could upload the attached document, that would be great. Thanks, live laugh, leave me alone, Connie?
Speaker 4: I love that. Who is it?
Speaker 1: Live laugh? Leave me alone? Connie?
Speaker 4: Connie?
Speaker 5: But Connie, if they left you alone, how would you know that they uploaded the attached document?
Speaker 4: Honestly? I love it.
Speaker 5: Honestly though, I kind of do because it's kind of like I want you to live.
Speaker 1: I want you to laugh. Now leave me alone.
Speaker 4: We're done yet, threads ended.
Speaker 1: You know what this this is giving. It's giving work life boundaries.
Speaker 4: It's giving boundaries.
Speaker 5: It's giving boundaries, it's giving I'm here to do my job, I'm clocking in, I'm clocking out.
Speaker 1: I'm about to go hang out with my girl. Emily.
Speaker 5: Were about to be in the city. Yeah, okay, Connie, Connie, Yes, Emily, I think we're still betcher. Okay, what's yours say? Okay, here's my feedback on the report. Let me know if you have any questions.
Speaker 4: Yea, Brian, Brian.
Speaker 2: No, No, Also, like, is that's still a thing?
Speaker 1: It is in wrestling, in wrestling?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I don't wrestle, and you shouldn't be wrestling at work, even with your bad boss.
Speaker 1: That's an HR violation. Why why Brian?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun, it's thirty, but.
Speaker 1: No, it's I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, okay, last, but certainly not least passing along the assets for tomorrow's meeting. Please don't fire me, as in p l Z, don't fire.
Speaker 1: Me, Darren.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, Darren, I think I might have to fire you just because you because you tell me you're about to pass along something and then say please don't fire me. Now you've terrified me, because what the heck are you? What are sending for tomorrow's meeting? Right, I'm terrified.
Speaker 4: Now I don't like that. I'm scared.
Speaker 5: I think Darren was actually saying please fire me, yeah, because yeah.
Speaker 4: That was a little bit of a cry for help. But all this is to say, what's the takeaway here?
Speaker 2: You know, you got to keep it professional. Obviously, every workplace has a different vibe. So if this flies on your team, like, go off, but probably keep it professional. I will say, I'm really trying to find my signature email sign off.
Speaker 4: I don't have it yet.
Speaker 2: So if you guys have really good ones that are fun, lighthearted, not sincerely, I don't want any sincerely. It's because clearly you're not being sincere.
Speaker 1: No, and the.
Speaker 2: Cheers one like, it's not me. I'm not cheers. So if you guys have good at rex.
Speaker 4: Let me know.
Speaker 5: I want to steal them. So, Gianna, what's the verdict? You think it's cringe or it's cool.
Speaker 2: I think all of these are a bit cringe, except for Connie is honestly leave me alone, like I'm loving that. But no, I think they're all a little cringe.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 5: I think Connie is the least cringe. I think Connie might be a little cool, but even still, I don't know if I necessarily would tell my manager or leave me alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cringe, but iconic.
Speaker 5: I guess the verdict is clearly out that we both think this is cringe.
Speaker 1: But I really want to know what you think.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks, for listening and let us know in the newsletter, which you should be following by now if you're not already. You could find the link to the newsletter in the show description and also in my LinkedIn bio.
Speaker 4: It's called Let's Talk Offline.
Speaker 5: Ooh, iconic Stina girl. Thank you so much for sending in your question. Y'all, y'all can be just like Stina. Okay, I love her question because it wasn't even about her, it was about how she can be a better ally in the workforce.
Speaker 1: We all should be allies. If you guys have.
Speaker 5: Any burning listener questions, you guys can and ask me and Gianna. Information on how to do that is in the show description. I'm gonna tell you all this every time. Look in the show description. It is a gold mine of gold gems for goldness and goodness. Look in the show description.
Speaker 2: Also, make sure you guys rate and review the show and follow us so you can stick around and join our.
Speaker 4: Little thing we got going here.
Speaker 2: I like it, And before you guys go, remember we've always got your back. So if something comes up, let's talk offline.
Speaker 4: I'm Giana Prudenti.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jamie Jackson. Gadsden and I Boy Voice, Just Crack.
Speaker 5: Going through Prebty Again and I'm Jamaie Jackson Gadsden, Stay Thriving, Let's.
Speaker 2: Talk Offline is a production of LinkedIn News and iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Western Sound. Our producer is Sabrina Fang. The show is edited by Savannah Wright. Our associate producer is Sarah Dilley. Alex mckinness is our engineer, and Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Speaker 5: Executive producers at iHeart Podcasts are Katrina Norvel and Nikki Etour. We got support from LinkedIn's Jesse Hemple, Sarah Storm, and Ayana Angel. Maya Pope Chappelle is Director of Content, Dave Pond is head of News Production, Courtney Coop is Head of Original Programming, and Dan Roth is the editor in chief of LinkedIn