Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: We stay on national security and defense, and we head back to the Aspen Security Forum. That's where we find David Gera. He's the co host of Bloomberg This Week, and he also is the co host of The Big Take podcast. He's sitting down with Senator Chris Murfy, Democrat of Connecticut. Hey, David, we.
Speaker 3: Got word that just a few minutes ago the US resumed strikes on Iran, and I guess I'd like to start there if I could.
Speaker 1: The situation we.
Speaker 3: Find ourselves in the plasticity of the President's policy toward the region right now, and your latest thinking on sort of where we are and where things are headed.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that we had stopped our strikes. This war restarted about a week ago.
Speaker 1: It shows no signs of ending.
Speaker 4: This is the most significant foreign policy disaster in the last twenty years. Around effectively has control of the Strait. They are going to have control of the Straight for the long run. As a price of opening that Straight, they want all the sanctions released, which is going to put a lot of new money into their economy, but also allow them to send money out to their proxy groups in the region. This war should have never started. It's hard to figure out what to do now, because it's kind of like asking somebody, now that the raw egg is splattered over the floor, how do you put it back together? But it seems as if the United States is going to have to pay that vig billions of dollars to Iran and sanctions relief, and we're going to have to prevail upon the Israelis to permanently stop the war with Lebanon. And if those two things happen, maybe we can get that straight reopened. I have no confidence that ultimately there's going to be any bigger deal between the United States and Iran. I don't think they're going to make any commitments on a nuclear program. So I guess the best we can ask for right now is to just stop the shooting, get the straight reopened. And we're still seemingly a far away from that.
Speaker 3: As we look at humpty dumpty there on the floor. Do you think the administration gets that they are they still confident that they can stare down Iran, I guess, and find some solution by doing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the sort of can't over hype the degree that just plain old incompetence plays in this story.
Speaker 1: I mean, the trum administration doesn't know what it's doing.
Speaker 4: It's primary diplomats with Iran are the president's son in law and a guy who is a real estate developer two seconds ago who's never done diplomacy. So it's not surprising that they're failing. They're going to either have to put actual adults, like experienced diplomats in charge, or they're just gonna have to step out of the way and ask our European friends or our golf friends to come in and try to seal an ultimate deal on reopening the strait. So I have very little confidence that this crowd that's in charge of our national security is going.
Speaker 1: To be able to get anything done.
Speaker 3: We've seen in recent weeks your colleagues on the other side of the aisle, many of them expressing more reservations about this. Do you detect a real change kind of in their position as this is attenuated as it plays out.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is, of course a deeply unpopular war. The American people don't support the war. They want it to end. They're paying the price, not just in higher gas prices, is in higher diesel prices and higher fertilizer prices, but also in the cost of the budget.
Speaker 1: This is one hundred billion to two hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 4: And what is going to happen is that Republicans are going to cut funding for schools, for transportation, for nutrition in order to pay for the war. That's part of the reason that the American public don't want it. So as you get closer to the election, this becomes an issue that Republics are going to have to deal with because this will be an issue where voters are going to say, are you for the war or against it? And it's going to matter in their choices. So yes, I expect that you will get more Republicans saying time to end the war. For the first time ever. About three weeks ago, we passed a resolution in the Senate to end the war. It ultimately was stymied by some procedural moves in the Senate, but there is evidence that Republicans are starting to wake up.
Speaker 3: You mentioned is reel a moment ago. When I go back to that memo of understanding, which it seems was not worth the paper that it was it was printed on. I think the President would agree with that now, Israel, of course not a party to those conversations. And I'm curious how you look at the US is power to persuade as reel to scale back, pull back its campaign and Lebanon and change tech.
Speaker 4: I think you'll have to use the leverage that we have, and the leverage that we have is our defense relationship. So long as Israel believes that the Trump administration is going to continue to feed them the weapons and the intelligence that they need to carry out war on Lebanon, They're going to continue.
Speaker 1: To carry out that war. That's a very blunt tool.
Speaker 4: It took me a long time to accept it as a tool to try to influence their behavior in Gaza. But if it is a precondition to getting the straight open, then we have to consider using that tool, because as long as the strait is closed, it is American citizens families that are bearing the cost.
Speaker 3: Let's talk a bit about that pulled a domestic politics here, and you mentioned it's a deeply unpopular war. How do you see that playing out in the months ahead, and how do you and your fellow Democrats kind of maybe capitalize is not the right word to use there, but highlight the fact that it's this unpopular issay it is with the electorate.
Speaker 4: You know, what I found in my time in politics is that most of the time, foreign policy doesn't matter in elections until it's sometimes the only thing that matters. And I do think that this election it's going to be on the ballot. Even if Trump were to get the straight reopen today, the cost of a gallon of gasolene or fertilizer is not gonna come down to any reasonable level by November, so it will be a voting issue. And the president's foreign policy incompetence and that agreement you mentioned, that ces fire agreement was just an example of incompetence, right. He signed an agreement committing Israel to do something without Israel at the table. He apparently by accident, signed an agreement that actually gave control of the Strait permanently to Israel. Excuse me, to Iran. His foreign policy disasters are I think going to be relevant this November.
Speaker 3: I had Invester Ramavanuel here earlier, and he really seemed to welcome having this debate about US Israel relations going into the midterms and the general action on the heels of that. Do you likewise, I mean there's a lot of ink being spilled here about which there's division the Democratic Party. There's debate about Israel. How healthy that that might be. Where do you fall on.
Speaker 4: That, well, I mean, broadly, I don't think you're a healthy party unless you're having debate, unless you have division. Part of the reason that the Republican Party is about to get their clock cleaned in this election is that they don't have any.
Speaker 1: Debate, you'd I am pretty confident of that.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're going to try to cheat their way to a win, but I'm confident that if it's a free and fair election, Democrats are going to.
Speaker 1: Do very well. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think in a healthy political party you have debate, and we certainly do have a debate in the Democratic Party about what to do with Israel. I mean, I'm somebody that wants a strong US relationship with Israel. I do believe in the preservation and protection of a Jewish state in the Middle East. What Netanyahu is doing is not serving that objective. He is actually, in the long run, going to end up recruiting more enemies of Israel, both terrorist enemies and frankly countries that don't support Israel's existence Through his conduct in both Gaza and in leban and that's why I think we have to use blunt tools to get his policy to change.
Speaker 3: He allude to election malfeasans the potential for that. Seven o'clock Local time, nine o'clock Eastern time, the President is going to give a speech to the nation and reportedly we'll focus on the twenty twenty election and electional regularities as he sees them. I'll ask you, if you're going to tune into that bit more broadly here, what's the message of that and in the danger of it, as you might see it in him continue to espouse what we know not to be true.
Speaker 4: Well, the danger is that we, for the first time in American history, don't have a free election. I don't know what the President is going to recommend, but if he is trying to build the case to put troops out in the bolling places, he will likely be stopped by the Supreme Court, and then we will see whether our democracy collapses and he does not listen to the decision of the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: This is a really dangerous moment, and I'm really.
Speaker 4: Worried that so many am I Republican colleagues are quiet about it. You know, their party as a cult right now, and I am just still hopeful that some of my Republican colleagues will stand up and when they hear his speech tonight, call it out for what it likely will be the most significant rhetorical attack on democracy on the national airwaves that has ever been made in the history of the country.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you lastly, just about your counsel, your vision for the Democratic Party. You have a new book out, Crisis for the Common Good, and a lot of the council in that book is just for us to come together more through clubs and activities and kind of re engage with the way things used to be. Not wholly leaning on nostalogia, but that's a part of it. Here, I could ask if you're running for present, I expect you demurror on that. But let me ask you how you see the future of the Democratic Party here visa via text, or just how you're thinking about the way your party should take shape here going to the next election.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I bought my party to recognize that crisis. People are feeling less meaning and purpose in their lives. They're feeling more disconnected from their family, from their community than ever before. We've got to sort of preach a gospel of happiness about how people can wake up every day and feel like they have real dignity and meaning in their work, How we can control these technologies that are sending their kids into lives of isolation. Our party, sometimes, you know, solves very technical problems like the price of a prescription drug, but doesn't explain to people how that's actually going to make them happier.
Speaker 1: If we were to lead.
Speaker 4: This November and two years from now with a really aggressive plan on how to control the ravages of social media and AI, a space that, by the way, is open to the Democratic Party right now, like parents don't know which party to pick if they want to protect their children from AI. That would speak to families in a spiritual way, because they feel like they're losing control of their lives at the hands of these new technologies. That's the conversation my book is trying to start in the party. I mean, I think it's a little too early because we're not to be sure that we're going to have a democracy in twenty twenty eight, So let's make sure that we have a free and fair election in twenty twenty six, and then we'll all make our decisions for twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight centumorphy.
Speaker 3: Thank you very Muchsure frispav of Connecticut joining me here at the Aspen Security Forum