Speaker 1: Well, hi everybody, and welcome to the Renee Stubs Tennis Podcast. I'm a day late, but better to be late than never, so they say, clearly, I'm late because Washington finished late and I was working down in Washington. As I'm sure some of you had seen, I was doing postmatch interviews and I really enjoy my time down in Washington. Mark Iin puts on an incredible tournament there and gets just an amazing field every single year, and it was no different this year. We had the likes of you know, Naomi Osaka and Jessica Bogula, Taylor, Fritz, Ben Shelton, Rafael Hoda, Alex de Minor. The list was just very long, very extensive, and we had a lot of upsets. We had various different winners and losers through the week. It's always interesting to see how people adapt to their hard court, the very different balls to what you get at Wimbledon. Wimbledon bawls tend to be heavier, conditions are a lot different. Although it was very hot in Wembledon this year, I have to say so players not exactly coming to the US going oh my god, I'm not used to this heat yet. Because the heat in Wembledon was pretty extraordinary, but Washington notoriously hot, and it wasn't any different this particular last week, although it was slightly cooler than it has been in the year's past, as I've done that tournament many times through the years, but.
Speaker 2: Some incredible results.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to get to the biggest story, probably certainly on the women's side, with alex Iala.
Speaker 2: Winning the tournament in Washington, her first.
Speaker 1: Victory at the five hundred level on the WTA tour, but we'll get to that in a minute. I want to sort of start with the men this particular week because I was also very happy to see Taylor Fritz getting a win down in Washington.
Speaker 2: He has supported that tournament for years and years and years.
Speaker 1: He's lost some really tough matches through the years, and you know, with his difficulties over the last let's say twelve months, because it really was about this time last year that he started struggling somewhat with the knee. He comes through some really tough matches, terrific final against Hoda, back to back wins, no knee problems. We were a little bit worried, I believe in the semifinals he called the trainer.
Speaker 2: Out, but you know, he's expressed to me in the post match interview that it was actually his other knee.
Speaker 1: He was having no problems in that terrific quarterfinal match when he played against Alex Mickelson seven to six and the third Mickelson has a winning record over Taylor Fritz, So for Taylor to get through that match in the quarter finals I think was a huge hurdle for him. He has struggled this year, as I already mentioned, with the injury to the knee, and he's lost in a bunch of finals. So I'm sure and I know that he was very happy to finally get a tournament victory under his belt because it has been a while so for him to get it in Washington where he supported that tournament. As I said, he's lost some really tough matches through the years. To see him get through that particular match against Alex Michelson seven six and the third eight six, in the third set tiebreak, I was sitting courtside. It was just absolutely topsy turvy ups and downs, and it was terrific tennis from Alex and Taylor. Probably the match of the tournament, although there were some credible matches throughout this tournament. Raffael Holdah beating Lorenzo Massetti in the quarterfinals in an incredible three set match played on John Harris Court, which is the second court at Wimbledon. And if you go to Washington this so I'm like, if you don't want to play the prices at the US Open, or you don't want to fly to Cincinnati and you're in the Tri State area, oh my god, get on the exceler get on the train, get down to Washington. There is a second court there that had a match like Rafa Hodda and Lorenzo Messetti, which is frankly, it was a quarterfinal in DC, which could have been a final and could be a final at the US Open or a semi final even at the US Open, and you got to see them on John Harris which is I believe a grounds passed at Washington. So just a believable amount of people that went to this tournament. But Hoda got the win six to four and the third in the quarters over Marsetti. And then Ben Shelton's match against Alejandro Tabilo was amazing. I sat courtside for that match. Ben really should have won that match. He was up a break twice. He's just got to get better at managing those moments after he breaks. The first point of every game on his serve is so important, and I believe every time he broke, he lost the first point of the next game on his serve, and then he ended up losing the match. So pretty disappointing because the crowds were just unreal in Washington every single day, particularly at night where it's a lot cooler and so well, not cooler, but certainly he doesn't have the sun beating down on you. But that match in particular was just unbelievable, the amount of great tennis. They were just ripping the ball. I have such respect for these players when I sit courtside and I watched these matches, and I watched the Michaelson against three and the Tabilo against Shelton, and you know, Brandon Nakashima taking out the defending champion Alex di Minor in the quarters. I mean, just an incredibly stacked tournament. And in the final, we saw, of course the win for Taylor Fritz and as I said, he's lost a lot of finals this year, so to see him get through that match in straight sets against Hoda, who is now ranked fifteen in the world, and this time last year, I believe he was probably around five hundred or something like that. Like a year and a half ago, he was playing college tennis not far away from Washington in the University of Virginia. For him to be fifteen in the world right now, let me tell you, I have watched him play a lot, but I haven't watched him courtside the way I did in this last week. And I have to say he is a real threat to the top two players in the world in Alcarez and Sinner. I do believe that he has the game eventually. I think it's going to be a year or two. I think his improvement in the last twelve months is out. And if you were listening to Taylor Fritz's talk after the match at the trophy presentation, he said, basically, I'm glad I got this now while you're still young, because some of the mistakes and things that really didn't go his way in the final were for me, just a little bit of lack of experience.
Speaker 2: In those matches. Taylor Fritz has obviously.
Speaker 1: Won many many tournaments, including a Master's one thousand and INNI and Wells over the old Ruffer, the Ruffi il Nadal. But you could just see the experience come to the four in the final, particularly on some big points. But it was great to see Taylor back in the Winter circle. I think he's going to be a real threat as long as the knee doesn't continue to be a problem for him going forward. I was a little concerned that he did say in the post match interviews. And the one thing about Taylor is he gives you so much information when you interview him. He is an open book. He is a complete tennis nerd. He watches tennis. He talks about tennis all the time. I was told even in the locker room after matches Winna lose, he breaks down the match completely with his coach and Michael Russell. And he's a student of the game and we saw that in the final. He just kind of picked the right times to play the right shots. Having said that, and I'll keep saying it till he wins a Grand Slam, I just think his movement forward is so very important if he wants to take the net step, which is to win a major title. Now I am worried about the knee, but that aside, if the knee stays good, how is Taylor Fritz going to win a major title over someone like Carlos al Karez and Yanick Sinner and frankly even Novak Djokovic. He has to improve his netplay. He has to improve his ability to move forward. And I'll give you a reason why. There's a couple of times, even in the final against Hoda, where he had him on the complete run, he'd a massive forehand. Hodda is definitely going to play a defensive shot back, meaning a floater of some description, and a Janik Sinner, Carlos al Karez or a Novak Djokovic, we'll see that and go into the net and finish the point with a volley.
Speaker 2: And Taylor does not do that. He lets the ball float. It comes back.
Speaker 1: Now he gets away with it a lot against the Hodah, for example, it doesn't have the experience at the moment. He lets the ball bounce and then he has to hit two or three more huge four hands. Now he often wins the points because he does hit the ball so well from the back of the court, But the amount of extra miles he's doing all the time when he plays matches, it's too much, and if he's having knee problems, finishing those points makes a big difference.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Look, I can say this because Taylor Fritz does everything better than me on the ten score, but I can tell you one thing I do better than him is volley. So he hit a really ugly forehand volly, but he won the point. And I'm thinking to myself, if you could just get marginally better with your ability to volley, you could win these matches or certainly the points quicker, and you could certainly beat some of these players. But a Sinner and an Outcaaz will go in and finish those points at the net. And that is a differentiator between Taylor Fritz winning a Grand Slam and not. And I will say that until I'm blue in the face. And there are certain things that I truly believe in, and that is one of those things. If you have the weapons, you have the weapons, but so do Sinner and so does Alkirez. You have to be able to differentiate yourself somehow, and that's what those two guys do. They have everything, but they also have the volleys and they are able to finish points at the net. And if you go back and watch some of the biggest matches between Alcorrez and Sinner.
Speaker 2: That's how they're beating people.
Speaker 1: And so for Taylor, I'm so happy that he won this tournament because he deserves it. He's given everything he can to that tournament. He's had a tough year with injuries. He's lost a lot of finals in over the last couple of months. So to see him finally get a victory. But if there's one area, Taylor, I know your coaches are probably pushing you to do this, trust me, do it.
Speaker 2: Get them better. If you can volley a little bit better.
Speaker 1: You're going to win a lot more of the matches against the top guys to win a major title. But it was great. Rafael Hodah is now fifteen in the world. The improvement in his ranking over one year is extraordinary. I do believe he's going to be knocking on the door to win major titles. I think he can push these guys. He is not afraid to come into the net. He will learn to play these matches a little bit better. He will learn to deal with the final, he will learn to deal with the crowds and all this sort of stuff. And there's five matches in a row and then potentially seven to win a major title.
Speaker 2: But it was just great. It was great to see both of them in the final.
Speaker 1: It was interesting to watch and see who was going to win that match, and Taylor just came out on top. So that was, you know, really really really great to see. On another note, I mean, to watch, you know, a young player come through qualifying and win in Memphis was pretty extraordinary as well. And you know, to see a new tournament in Memphis come back boy a boy, very hot conditions, very very hot conditions. And so to get through the amount of matches that someone has to get through to win a tournament from qualifying. Not Emma Ratikanu, we're not talking about her, but a young player who's not only won the tournament sixteen years of age, Christina Lutova sixteen and just turn sixteen, well not just turned, but she turned sixteen in February of this year, so not that much into her sixteenth year or seventeenth year, depending on how you look at it.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. I mean, that is really truly amazing.
Speaker 1: So if there's a young player that you want to go watch in the next few weeks, the pressure is now going to be on her, because the eyeballs are going to be on her, and this is when you learn what makes a player is how they handle the pressure now of expectation, and Christina Utovah is going to obviously have that pressure on her now as a sixteen year old with a lot of expectation on her shoulder. But to have already won a WTA two fifty is pretty extraordinary. So I want to give kudos to Taylor. I want to give kudos to Christina. What an amazing week for the both of them, and so huge props.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, we're going to get to the.
Speaker 1: Women's because I know you all want to talk about alex Iyala, as do I because there was a lot of stuff coming my way on the old intranet over the last week about some comments I made about her particular serve. So we're going to get to that UF and break all right, everybody, Well, let's get into the women's event in Washington, which of course was also absolutely stacked. What a great tournament for all the players. Players love coming here, they love playing the tournament, they love the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Those crowds are unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And may I add, because I know that there were listeners of my podcast that were in Washington, and they do come up to me and thank you so much for all the love and all the support for not only me but for the podcast. But you guys, seriously, Washington props, you guys are amazing. The crowds there are just next level. They are incredible. They're incredible, he's supportive, they have to sit through very hot weather, they stayed late, and unfortunately on Sunday we had a lot of rain. I'm going to get to that in our questions because somebody some people wrote in and asked me about that. But you know, we had the likes of Fitzelina, we have Pergula, we have Osaka, we have you know, Samsonova and all these different players that had just great tournaments, but nothing compares to what we saw with alex Iala. The support she gets from her fans is unbelievable. I mean, I have never in my thirty years of playing on tour experienced a player with this much support, honestly, I mean, other than obviously the greats like Serena and you know, you know, even our karez now or Roger and Rafa and you know, the great Novac and all these players. I've never seen a player that is because of the country she's from, gets a support she does around the world.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And the way she played against Osaka to Spit to Lena to Pagoula was amazing, and there were some definitely struggles for Pagoula in the final. She looked pretty comfortable in the final on Sunday, upper set on serve in the second set, two one, and then when they came back the next day just just didn't have it. She was complaining about a racket string. She kept tapping them on her hand, and when I see that, when someone like Jess plays, that's a little bit of a worry because she's such.
Speaker 2: A kinetic player.
Speaker 1: She likes the ball to feel good on her racket strings because she doesn't have a lot of spin, so if it feels a bit off, she doesn't play well because she doesn't trust her shot making. Whereas alex Eyala came back on Monday, and boy oh boy, was sheer different player. She was head down, fully focused and to win the at third set six love pretty extraordinary. I think Jess packed bags once she got down to Love. She wasn't hitting the ball well, She's making a lot of unforcederers, and Iala was playing unbelievable and I just think with the crowd. I don't know if you've felt this, guys, but to be in the United States, to be an American player, and to feel like you're playing in Manila is what Jesspergula felt because on Monday, everyone on Sunday was allowed to come and watch the match on Monday, and everyone's like, is anyone going to come and watch on Monday?
Speaker 2: And I was like, are you joking?
Speaker 1: Alexeiyala is going to bring several thousands of people to watch on Monday because they want to see her, because she's as big as you get when it comes to an athlete from the Philippines. And sure enough, we turned up on Monday and it was absolutely packed on the bottom bowl of the courts, and even people up in the in the upper section of the drawer, which was outstanding, especially in the middle of the day, not at night. In the middle of the day, at noon, we had virtually a packed crowd and that was all because of alex Eyala. It must have felt so difficult for Jesspagoula to walk on that court and feel like you're not playing in your country. That's how popular alex Eyala is. And Alexiyala uses that to her benefit. She does not shy away from the obvious pressure on her shoulders. She steps on the court and she takes that and she uses it. And jess Bergoula looked like she wanted to get the hell out of there at like three Loves.
Speaker 2: She was like, I'm good, I'm out of here. I've had enough. And it's a lot.
Speaker 1: And for those people that are like I don't understand that mentality, it's hard. It's hard to play against a player that has that much support. We saw it the previous year when Naomi Osaka played against Vicki Mboco. I mean Naomi Osaka didn't deal with playing against Yala well either, because the crowd support was very much on Eyala side. So when you go and play against Alexiyala, you have to walk on the court knowing you are going to have eighty percent probably of the crowd against you. She is so popular and it's great for our sport, but it's also something that these players are going to have to start dealing with because she is only getting better and she is only getting bigger, and so going forward, that is one player that not a lot of players are going to want to play against based on the fact that they're going to have to deal with the.
Speaker 2: Crowd as well.
Speaker 1: And so her tennis it's improving all the time. I, of course, have received a little bit of stick, as they say, on the socials, because I had mentioned on the pot a couple of weeks ago when somebody asked me a question about who I felt would be the next player that could possibly win a Grand Slam. It's of the younger type, and Iala was mentioned in that, and I said that I thought Vicki Emboco was the player that I felt was a player that probably would win more or win before someone like an alex Yala, for example. And one of the reasons I said that is because I felt like her weapons and her confidence and the fact that she's won a WTA one thousand and the players that she beat to win that tournament was outstanding. And I've also gotten to know Vicky a little when she played with Serena and Queens, and the quiet confidence that she has in herself and her game was evident, and it's one of the reasons why I chose her, and I still believe that now having said that, and having said that, I thought that my quotes were that I didn't think Alexeiyala could ever win a slam serving the way she does now observing her in Washington, I have to say, I don't think it matters because these players do not handle her lefty serve very well at all. Now, when I think about Angie Kerber, for example, who also had a very slow second serve, if you're not adapting to that and getting your feet out of the way and playing the right shot off their return, someone like Angie Kerber and Alexiyala takes that next boor very early and they do not give up the baseline. So Alexiyala is probably the closest player I've seen to Angie Kerber in a long time. Lefty not a great second serve, decent first serve, pretty good and catches players off guard because they don't really know what to cover or what way she likes to go. But one thing that I did notice, when you're serving sixty mile in our second serves and it's a lefty and you don't like that spin because it's a spin, you don't see very often on the tour because there's not a lot of left handed players. You have to be able to handle that shot, and you have to be able to get it into a position on the court where you control the point. Now, one of the reasons why I talked about Yala not being able to win a Grand Slam serving like that is because later stages of tournaments, for example, at the Major's, you're going to play against a Sablenka, You're going to play against the Rabarkina, You're going to play against the Linda Noskova. Now you are going to play against a mirror Andreva or an eager shon Tech. Now, Iyala has beaten Santech, she has beaten Pagula, She's beaten a lot of very good players. She beat Naomi Osaka, but Omiasaka did not handle that second serve well at all. When you look at the stats from that match, it was horrendous. How I was going to say how she played that second serve, but mostly how bad her stats were in that particular match. It was unbelievable when I looked at it and I thought, she's only winning like ten percent on second serves or something crazy like that, so you know, these players are going to have to adjust to the lefty, and if they don't, there's no doubt that Alexeiyala can go deep in Grand Slams. And I know that, you know a lot of people are upset that I said she can never win a slam serving like that. I still kind of saw to believe that in a way. But also at the same time, sitting courtside watching these players struggle and I say struggle with the lefty slower second serve was incredible to me. And so when you think about how these players adjusted to that and or did not adjust to it, it's it was pretty obvious that that that is going to be a problem. And that's where, for example, Angie Kerber got away with it. Kind of a crack not kind of very average second serve at best, but she got away with it because it's a lefty and some of these players really struggled with left handed serves, and we saw that match after match after match. Her ability to be able play from the back of the court is evident. She is an incredible.
Speaker 2: Hitter of the ball.
Speaker 1: She absorbs pace really well, she hits into the open court really well. But the one thing that impressed me a lot is if you'd listened to my semi final postmatch interview with her. I picked up on one thing that she said to me, and you can maybe find it on the internet. But I said to her what it meant to beating Naomi Osaka because she wasn't overly excited when she beat Naomi, which is a huge win for her.
Speaker 2: For a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: She looks she's looked up to Naomi. Naomi's been somebody she's admired for years. Naomi has one multiple Grand Slams, so Yala would have watched her win those. She kind of didn't get excited, walked to the net, said something very nice to Naomi, and then I asked her about that, and she kept saying to me, Oh, it's I'm locked in. I'm so locked in I can't even think, like, is it over? And I pulled the mic back and I said, yeah, it's over. She goes, yeah, but not yet one more match, and I thought, oh, okay, she's already thinking about I didn't get too excited because I want to win this tournament. I'm not excited to beat Naomi. I'm not too excited to be in the final. I will be excited when I win this tournament. And those are little things that as a person that's been around tennis a long time person that's seen a lot of players come and go, those are little little things that you pick up on because you know the confidence is there and the want for more is there. And if you remember me talking about even Zverev when he won the semi finals at the French Open, and he also got interviewed after the match and he was very subdued and he said, this tournament is not over for me yet. I have one more left, and I would say maybe two or whenever.
Speaker 2: It was four years earlier.
Speaker 1: When he made the final, he was so excited to be in the final, and he was probably it almost felt like the tournament was sort of over for him mentally.
Speaker 2: And the difference maker is and I.
Speaker 1: Can say this, I mean, listen, I don't compare myself anything to alex Eyala or Zverevan singles, but I can compare it to winning doubles tournaments. And you know, I won sixty doubles tournaments on tour, and you know, multiple majors, and I was not happy. I mean, I was happy to win the semifinals, but I was not happy if I had lost in the final. And so when you start to demand more of yourself and want more for yourself and not be satisfied with just winning a semi final or even a quarterfinal, whatever it is, whatever you think your upside is, that is very important. And so for me when i Ala said yeah, one more match, I was like, well, I remember it specifically when I was doing the interview, and I thought, m okay, she's fully ready for this final. And so it was just great to see her competitive spirit, the way she uses the crowd, the way she doesn't feel the I'm sure she feels a lot of pressure, but the way she doesn't look like she sees the pressure of the people behind her. She really loves the competitive part of what she does, and that is massive. Now do I think she can win a Grand Slam after what I watched last week?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I do, And I do think that her serve if it gets better, which I'm assuming it will, because I think confidence also makes you serve better, that will be a huge thing for her because she is going to have to play against the Sabolenka at the US Open, or a Rebakina or all the players that I mentioned earlier that are seeing the ball like a watermelon by the time it gets to a semi in a final of a major, and that second serve at sixty miles an hour. If a player starts to play it well, is going to be a bit of an issue for her. If it doesn't and she gets into the point with these top players, there's no doubt that she can beat them. She's proven that time and time again already in twelve months. Her ranking now is shot way up and she will be a real threat against any player. It'll be interesting to see how she now transfers this extra pressure of winning a major tournament on the WTA Tour of five hundred and how she handles the pressure of that.
Speaker 2: So for all of.
Speaker 1: You out there that you come after me on the socials, I've been out here a long time. I've seen a lot of players. I've seen a lot of players come, and I've seen a lot of players go. And you know, sophomore year is very hard for players because coaches and players start to learn what your strengths and weaknesses are and what you have to.
Speaker 2: Adapt to as a player.
Speaker 1: Because people start to realize how they can beat you and how they can play against you. So I will hold my judgment for a little extra time, and I hope she continues to win. It is massive for the sport to have someone as big as this in the Philippines.
Speaker 2: It's only going to.
Speaker 1: Bring along so many young women and boys to the sport of tennis in Asia, particularly obviously in the Philippines, and you think about all those countries, and I hope she brings a cohort of young players with her that want to play this sport for a living, because all my goodness is she an absolute superstar in her country and it's starting to be all around the world. And just asked Jessica Bagoula how it felt to play her in the final.
Speaker 2: Not easy.
Speaker 1: So anyway, you can come after me all you want. But I have been around long time and I've seen a lot of players, as I said, come and go. This is a player after watching her this past week that I am sure is going to be around for a long time. But if you look at Layla Fernandez, she won this tournament last year. Very similar player, left handed, very very dogged, and she has had her limits as well. So let's wait and see We're very excited for this new incredible superstar in the sport and interesting allow Layla Fernandez's mum is from the Philippines as well, so Washington DC brings out some terrific support for players of either Philippine descent or of course Alexei Ala being full fully Filipino. So there was a great week and the atmosphere. Well done to everyone at the tournament, mark iin everyone putting it on. The support from Mubadala has been incredible and let's hope that tournament grows and grows.
Speaker 2: Because the crowds.
Speaker 1: Bravo to you guys coming out on a Monday supporting the tournament again. Just it's one of my favorite weeks every single year. All right, guys, let's take another break. I'm going to come back with reader questions because you guys have sent him a lot today, so I'm going to get to them right after the break. Okay, So let's start with reader questions. Carolyn Pruski, I get that it rains and players interrupted, but why do tournaments like DC do a poor job of communicating updates? Sunday was pretty awful. I can't imagine what it was like for the players. And spectators. It's like being stuck on a tarmac with no info from the pilot.
Speaker 2: Carolyn, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think that the tournament and you know, maybe I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, because I like everyone that runs the tournament, Danny Valbadoo and of course Mark iin and everyone, and I will say this. You know, when we looked at the radar, it was coming in and out. We thought we might be able to get a little bit of play, get the women over with hope for a break.
Speaker 2: You never know with the weather.
Speaker 1: But I think probably we could have done a better job of just letting you know that we're just watching the radar. But also at the same time, not to be a dick about this, but also if you do have a phone, which everyone does, you can see the radar yourself, right. You can see that if we're going to get a break, if we're not going to get a break, if there's a peereriod of time, that maybe we're going to get tennis played. If you had been there, you would have seen us. We cleaned the court, I believe three or four times, to the point where it was completely dry, and then it started rating again, we don't know if that rain is going to skip around us. It has done that before, where it's literally one minute away and it doesn't hit at the tennis courts. It did that a couple times this week, actually one day in particular. But everyone tries their best and should we have probably made some more updates to the spectators let them know that we're trying to get this started. But also logistically to move that tournament to Monday was an absolute nightmare for so many reasons. One, you've got volunteers, they have jobs. You have drivers, they have jobs. These are all volunteers that are doing this. We have, you know, to knock the stands down. We've got to do that on an extra day. We've got television, we've got ATPWTA, we've got tournaments the next week. We're trying to get it finished on Sunday. We tried desperately to get it finished on Sunday. And I would hope that most tennis fans that were there would understand that you also have the players themselves wanted to play on Sunday. I was underneath listening to the conversations, and you know clearly they're players like Jessica Bagoula, and you know, Taylor and Alex and Raphael want to finish on Sunday because they have to get to their respective tournaments the next week, Jessica going to Montreal and the boys going to Toronto for example, and Alex going to Montreal. So there are so many things are going to play, and I understand that was frustrating for the fans, but honestly, if you just look at your radar, you're probably having a good idea that we might not play. But we really tried to play on Sunday and it wasn't. It was a late minute decision and we're sorry that it caused so many headaches for everyone. But as I said, it was great to see everyone back there on Monday to support the tournament. So I think your point has been made, and I think the tournament is aware of that, and next year, if anything like that happens again, I'm sure they'll.
Speaker 2: Update as much as they can. Okay, are USh Vashishta?
Speaker 1: Guys, don't give me shit about how I say your name, because I look at it for the very first time literally as I'm doing the pod. So are Yush, here's your question? Any comments? On Novak's latest remarks about shortening the sets to four games, Do you have an opinion on why the Indian tennis market isn't growing?
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'll be perfectly honest. I haven't seen Novak's comments about that. I've been so busy this past week in Washington. But I don't mind that idea, because, as I said, I suggested maybe even four sets and then a ten point tiebreak in the Grand Slams.
Speaker 2: I get a lot of shit for this.
Speaker 1: Novak is also trying to, you know, say, can we shorten it a little bit? And this is a guy that's playing at thirty seven years of age, and he has run the race, and no one has played more five set matches or best of five sets matches on tour, the Novak Jokovic.
Speaker 2: So I would listen to the players. You know, I'm a tennis purist.
Speaker 1: I love watching tennis, but I don't want to sit and watch five and a half hours of the same match.
Speaker 2: I just don't.
Speaker 1: I don't care how good it is. I want to watch three hours maximum of the best tennis ever. That is a great I don't I go into a movie and I talk about this all the time.
Speaker 2: If I go in to watch.
Speaker 1: A two hour movie or a three hour movie, if they're entertaining, I'm good with it. Now if you get me to a five hour movie, I'm fucking bored. At some point, I'm like, when is this thing ending?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So you don't pay more money for a six hour to movie. You're not paying more money to go and watch the Odyssey. If it's six hours, it's the same as paying for a movie. Go that's two hours, right. So I just really believe.
Speaker 2: We need to shorten it down. We need to help the players.
Speaker 1: The points are longer, the matches are longer, We need the longevity of these players to stick around, and we need them injury free. And so for me to shorten them up at Grand Slam level, and I know I'm going to get to tractors. I know people are going to come at me. But if you know me and you've listened to this podcast, you know how I feel about that. As far as India Cannis, I don't know. It doesn't make sense, you know, I think you have to be it, you have to see it. And unfortunately there's not a lot of Indian players now Leander players, and of course Sonya Merza was so well known, you know, back in the day, and unfortunately just haven't had an Indian player that's done well. I think at some point there will be just like an Alex Yala from the Philippines, we will have a breakout star again. Hopefully that happens, and then that will bring along more kids. But obviously it says something about the programs in India, but certainly you would think there'll be especially with the history of tennis in India through the years, you would think that there would be more players. And certainly, look, you have enough people in the country, so you have to figure out a better way for their junior programs or something like that. Trut merrit Yala brings a huge vibe to the status. But do you feel like the American number one was given the accepted support in the DC final? Well, if you, as I just said, it would have been very, very, very hard. And I did mention it to myself when I was watching the final the other day, I thought, man, it must be so hard to be in the United States and feel like you're not playing in the United States.
Speaker 2: But that's the way it goes.
Speaker 1: If you have an incredible support system like Iala has with every Filipino play. That is, you know, all around the world they're going to go and watch the biggest superstar they've had in sports since Manny Paquia. Okay, and if you don't know who Manny Pakia is, check it out. World champion boxer. So this is an enormous moment for the Philippines and they are going to gravitate to this like nobody's business.
Speaker 2: And so was it tough for Jess.
Speaker 1: Absolutely If the crowd had been fifty to fifty, I think we would have seen a much more competitive third set, that is for sure. I think jess wanted to get that f out of there. It just was it was a lot to deal with for even a player's experience as Jessica Pogola and somebody that doesn't really worry about things like that too much. But even for her, it looked like it was tough. So yes, I think Yala used it to her advantage and jess did not handle it well, just like Naomio Saka did not handle well in Canada last year when she lost her Vicki and Mocco okay committed cat You're Back. Is the US open approach to the mixed doubles, the answer to raising the PROFILEO doubles or are there other things the tours could do well. Look, it's very complicated. I think I've said this forever. I think there needs to be more support for the doubles. I think it needs to get on television more. But that unfortunately is never going to happen. And it's sad to say. And as far as the US Open is concerned, I mean, it gives it probably the best exposure with all these top players playing, and then maybe people watch and go, wow, this is fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Mixed doubles.
Speaker 1: Doubles is fun to watch, as we all know, as Tannis Puris, it is fun to watch. And you know, if we do get that sort of response, oh wow, this is actually fun to watch, maybe we can get a little bit more advertisement for it, But it comes down to sponsors, It comes down to ticket sales, and unfortunately, you know, through the years, it hasn't had the support from the television and from the tournaments and putting it on the big courts because you're having to deal with singles players and so getting the singles players to play it at.
Speaker 2: The US Open is a great idea.
Speaker 1: It brings eyeballs to the sport, and it brings eyeballs to watching doubles and mixed doubles.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's an ongoing conversation that probably won't end for a long time. All right, Karen Gainey, what is your take on the ITIA upholding their decision on vendrosover.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal. We've read the ITIA report.
Speaker 1: She knew what was happening, she wrote what she wrote on the text messages. Look, she made a mistake. Does she regret it? I would argue and say absolutely. I think four years is absolutely ridiculous. I think it is way too long. Unfortunately knows the rule. We were just sent an email in the last couple of days by the WTA expressing those things. It doesn't matter what time. If they come to do a drug test, you have to take that. And if you don't this the concert cooints is clearly are severe. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore, thank God, because I definitely fail. But I can honestly say that I think the punishment was too severe. If you know marquad dev Vandrosova, you would know that she would be the last player in my opinion to take a performance enhancing drug because I mean, this is a girl who would have a beer before her match the night before. I mean, I've seen it, and she has such a relaxed attitude in general. I just think she fucked up and I think she will regret it for the rest of her life. I think the punishment is way too severe. I really believe that. I think two years was absolutely in the maximum of what she should have got. But unfortunately, the concisequences are if, for example, someone was taking something illegally or just took it maybe the day before, let's say, and then someone came to do the test and they said no, I mean, you can see why, and they're making an example of her. But I do believe it is way too long, just from knowing her as well. It's just it's devastating. Okay, let's get to NYC PDS question about Alex's serve. When and how does a player improve her SERF? Is the off season the only time block where she can make up huge improvements? Do you think it would be a good idea to hire a biomechanic serf coach or a lefty serf coach like Navratilov or Ivnisa bitch Well, I don't think it matters if you're lefty or not orlrighty. I would hope that her coach, look, he's done a fantastic job with her. In general, she's still very young. I would hope that they continue to work on the serve. I think there's a lot more that she can do about it. And a lot of people think, wow, she's kind of small. She's not that small, and she's strong. There are mechanical things that she can change on it, there's no doubt about that. But there's so many players that are playing on tour in their late twenties that still have just absolutely average serves and service motions. So it's still possible to make it even better. And yes, the off season is probably the best time to do it, but you can tweak it. You can keep tweaking and keep tweaking every single week. You can work little things getting you know. I won't get into the biomechanics a part of what I would do on her serf, but certainly it is an area that if she were to improve, she will become an even better player, and she will definitely be pushing these players in tournaments to come. All right, k l Hi, please analyze your take on Alexiella's game. Any tips for more skillful and technical advice you can give to her. Well, okay, so I'm kind of answering all these questions, and I knew I'd get a lot of Alexiella questions, as I should, because she is a massive story in women's tennis right now. We're in tennis in general. But no, I mean, listen, her groundies are great. She likes to come forward. She I love that she hits balls out of the air. She doesn't let the ball bounce. She's aggressive coming forward. She goes after the return, which is amazing. Which is she's going to have to do. She's gonna have to break serve a lot because her serve is very vulnerable. But that's the area that she should improve on. There's no doubt that she should get working on the serve if she can get even more out of the serve because as a lefty, it's un believable how many free points you can get based on the fact that players do not see that spin very much. So continue to work on the serve, continue to work on that service motion because the ground strokes are there. She decent at the net, and she has a great disposition on the tennis court. She doesn't get too high, she definitely doesn't get too low. And she has a great, a great mindset on the court, and that is that is something that is really hard to teach. It's also something that is great to have naturally, and she has it naturally. Just like I mentioned earlier about Vicki and Bocco, there's certain players that just even at a young age, have this amazing sense of self and she definitely has that on the tennis court, and she has of course we already talked about.
Speaker 2: The experience is unbelievable, Okay, CMH.
Speaker 1: Prior to e La Mania, which that I just experienced in DC, which WTA player had the most impactful fan base that travels, sheers, buys tickets and supports their home country player.
Speaker 2: I don't recall maybe sell.
Speaker 1: Us or Eager well, CMH, Chris, I've never seen anything like this. I truly have never seen anything like this. I did see it a little bit with Simona Hallip back in the day, particularly when she played in Canada. There's an enormous amount of Romanians that live in Canada and they came and supported her. I remember her playing the finals there one year and I thought to myself, Wow, this is incredible. So Simona Hallup's maybe the closest thing to that. And it's again a country that's quite small, that doesn't really have these massive sports superstars that come out, but when they do, they have incredible support around the world. And that's what I've seen with alex igershionteched to a certain degree. A lot of Polish people come out of the woodwork and they're just everywhere all around the world, and they support her a tremendous amount. Fonseca would be on the men's side anywhere he plays, there is just Brazilians that come out to watch him play, and he gets unbelievable support.
Speaker 2: In the last couple of years, he's the.
Speaker 1: Closest thing on certainly on the men's side, that gets that support like Yala does. This is something I've never seen before. It's awesome, it's incredible, she handles it so well and it's just impressive to watch, that's for sure. So all right, guys, well listen, you all asked great questions this week. Thanks for sending them in It was me by myself today. So I relied a lot on your questions and answering them and was great. One thing I do when I finish on just understand when I make comments about players, it is coming from a place where I have been around a long time. I am fifty five years of age. I've been in professional tennis since I was about seventeen. I've been around a lot of players that have come and gone. I've also seen a lot of players that I thought could win Grand Slams and did not. I've seen players that I didn't think could win Grand Slams and do. Now. When I made the comments about Yala never winning a Grand Slam based on her serve, there's still part of me that still believes that because you are going to run up against certain players in the Semis and finals who are going to take advantage of that. Now, do I believe that her leftiness is certainly going to help help her just like it did Angie Kerber?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: And so after viewing her tennis this week, after viewing her mindset and her ability to be able to close a match out, which she did in the Semis and the finals, really well, is she a player I can see winning a Grand Slam. Yes, she is, and I think that her ability to be able to utilize her leftiness is going to help her in the serving department. But I will say this, if she improves on the serve, it is going to guarantee that she can win a Grand Slam. And it does take that exceptional player at a young age, like a Linda Noskova who has massive weapons. Mira Andreva on Clay played a fantastic French Open, but alexey Ala. To win a major, you have to beat those types of players in the final that are going to go after your serf. And so I just still feel if she improves that then she can definitely win one. If she doesn't, it still will be a slight question mark. Now when experts, and I'm an expert, I've been around a long Time's in a lot of tennis players.
Speaker 2: I've coached a lot of players.
Speaker 1: I played a long time, And you know, people go me, woll you didn't win anything in singles.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't win a tennis I did not win a WTA tournament in singles. But I have certainly watched a lot of people win singles matches and singles tournaments. And I played for twelve fourteen years on tour playing singles, and it doesn't mean that I'm right or wrong.
Speaker 2: It's my opinion.
Speaker 1: And so if I have an opinion on a player, you don't have to be aggressive about how you feel about me. You can just think, ah, maybe she's right. And if alex e Ala wins a major title, I will be the first to congratulate her, and I will certainly be very happy if she does, because boy oh boy, is she going to bring another level of exposure to whomen's tennis around the world and certainly in Asia, and I will be here for it. And sitting and watching her this week was very impressive, and she is a hell of a player. And the fact that she doesn't have a big serve or a bomb serve is even more testamate how well she can play from the back of the court. And she is going to trouble a lot of players in the next few weeks and look out for her, and I'm sure there'll be a lot of eyes and a lot of expectation on her shoulders now. So let's hope she's supported and she will certainly be supported from the fan base and I just asked Thatt fan base, calm down. People have opinions and doesn't mean they're right, and it definitely doesn't mean they're wrong. Okay, So going forward, let's stall, calm down and just sometimes opinions are opinions, and just relax because a lot of you are coming at me that don't necessarily or have never, never, never watched tennis, okay, And I can say that I've probably watched more tennis than you, So just relax, okay, all right, everyone, thanks for writing in, Thanks for sending in the questions. I really appreciate it. Thanks for listening to me drone on today, and Caitlin will be back next week.
Speaker 2: She's in Europe.
Speaker 1: She's having a good time with her family. Pet Go's busy commentating because that's all she does now, And thanks for listening and listening to me today.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it. All right, guys.
Speaker 1: A lot of tennis still to come, Cincinnati, Toronto, Montreal. Of course, there's a small tournament in Philadelphia before the US Open, and then we get to the US Open. I can't wait for it because there is nothing better than Grand Slam tennis, and there's definitely nothing better than sitting back and enjoying it all. And thanks for listening to me today. All right, guys, we'll hear from me, see me next week.
Speaker 2: Bye.