Speaker 1: The one thing hackers want you to know about Bluetooth on the iPhone, When Disney will crack down on password sharing, and which music service is raising prices? Why you should clean your smartphone band, your smart watch band, I should say, and your tech questions answered? What's going on? I'm Rich Dimiro and this is Rich on Tech. You know the show is live because I make mistakes like a real human.
Speaker 2: No AI here.
Speaker 1: This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology.
Speaker 2: I believe that tech should.
Speaker 1: Be interesting, useful and fun. And guess what phone lines are now open so you can hop on and join in. It's triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also an option. Just go to rich on tech dot tv and hit contact. Saw the teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie last night, Mutant Mayhem, and the movie was fine. It was definitely a unique form of animation. Kids liked it. It was you know, brought back some memories from being a kid and all that eighties nostalgia. But what I really liked about the movie was the soundtrack. You could tell they really had some thought into the cool songs that they chose for that soundtrack. And so it's not very often that I watch a movie and then go ahead and download the soundtrack and listen to it. It's just very very cool. So we've got some great guests coming on this week. We're gonna talk about robocalls and spam calls. We've got a guest from True Caller, the app that can help you block some of that stuff. Then we've got Desmond Wheatley, President and CEO of Beam Global. I checked out their sustainable ev charging that fits into a standard parking spot. It's solar, it has a battery, and it charges cars. That's very cool. And later on in the show, Ben Showon is going to join us. He is from nine to five Google. He is going to have his review of the ADT self set up security system. Now, if you are following the news in any way, shape or form, you know that southern California is just going to be hit with some sort of tropical storm or hurricane. We're not really sure, but let me tell you how this all started I okay, it's just the wildest story. I am sitting at my house on I don't know what it was Wednesday night, Tuesday night, whatever it was earlier this week, and I'm testing out this new weather app. It's called Tomorrow Weather by Tomorrow, and I highly recommend you download it. It's tomorrow dot Io. Tomorrow dot Io is the app. And so someone told me about this app a couple of weeks ago. I've had it on my phone and so I was just kind of browsing the app because I really have grown to like the way this app presents things. And one of the cool features about this app is it has what's called a storm tracker, and you can tap this button on the app and next thing you know, it will show you where all the storms are. And actually, now I remember why I was doing this. I was looking at this app for my mom because she was flying out, and so I was kind of tracking the storm on the East coast and I tapped this storm tracker button and all of a sudden, I see this giant storm off the coast of not California, yet it was all the way down below, kind of near the tip of Mexico, Cabo and I'm like, wait a second, and it's showing the trajectory right towards southern California. And I said, well, this app isn't very good.
Speaker 2: This is a mistake.
Speaker 1: There's no storm barreling towards southern California. And sure enough, I go to a KTLA website and one minute before they had posted Hurricane Hillary or tropical storm headed towards southern California. And I said, wait, what when does this ever happen? And sure enough this app was right. And so now I'm really a fan of this app. So what's neat about this app is that it can do all kinds of weather predictions. It can track the storm, it can show you the trajectory. It just does it in a really nice way. I'm sure other apps do similar things, but I'm always on the lookout for a weather app that does stuff really nice and really neat. Anyway, I tell you all this not to get you to download that app, but to really kind of we don't know what's going to happen with this storm, but you have to be prepared, and with today's smartphones and everything, there are some ways you can prepare yourself. So I'm going to go through some of the things that I have researched to help you prepare. Number one, you gotta make sure your phone is charged in situations like this, don't go to sleep with your phone on five, ten, twenty percent, even halfway, just don't do it. The second thing you need to do charge up those portable batteries. So if you have a portable battery, charge it up. Make sure you know where those things are. Make sure that the flashlight is charged and ready to go, and you've got fresh batteries in there.
Speaker 2: Make sure you know where this stuff is.
Speaker 1: If you have one of those like portable like those giant battery packs like Jackerie is a company that makes them portable power, make sure you charge those up as well. And of course find your radio if you have a portable radio. Those are really good in situations like this. Now, there's an app that I tested which I thought would sound really cool. It's called Bridge Fi, and this is bri dg E f Y And this app is supposedly supposed to be good in a disaster situation because it uses Bluetooth on your phone and a phone nearby to let you chat with friends even when there's no Internet, so it works from a distance about three hundred and thirty feet this is a football field, and if you need to text someone that's further than that, it kind of hops your message among other users in the area. So the idea is that if everyone has this app on their phone, all their Bluetooth is working, it's creating a local network. The problem is I was not able to get this app to work. So you may be reading over the weekend a whole bunch of these emergency apps, and this is probably going to be mentioned over and over. I could not get it to work. But what's really neat about this app that if it worked, it would be.
Speaker 2: Really really useful.
Speaker 1: So I got my name to show up on different phones in my house, but I can never get the messages to carry through. But there's also a public group chat, which theoretically anyone in your neighborhood that has this app could hop on and chat. That would be really useful if the internet went out or if the power went out. But quite frankly, I could not get this to work. So you can download it, you can try it see if it works with your loved ones in your house. But for me personally, I could not get it to work. Maybe it was a setting on my phone. I don't know. The other app that a lot of people like is called Zelo Zello. This is an app that turns your phone into a walkie talkie. It's nothing new, it's been around for a long time. People really like it. It's available on iOS and Android. The problem with that is that it does need internet service, so if your mobile internet or your WiFi went down, that app would not be much help. But people do like it because it pretty much turns your phone into a walkie talkie. The FEMA app FEMA. This is from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. This is an app that provides you with all kinds of disaster resources. It's available for Apple and Android devices. You can get weather alerts in real time from the National Weather Service for up to five locations. You can learn about nearby shelters if you have to evacuate, and it also has a bunch of safety tips, disaster assistants, and preparedness reminders, so that's a good app as well. The FEMA app now red Cross also has an app called the First Aid App, and this puts expert advice for common emergencies on your phone, so you can kind of learn about this stuff before you actually need to use it. And it's really wild, Like I'm not trained in anything like CPR or things like that, but my wife is. And it's really reassuring to have someone around that kind of knows what they're doing in an emergency situation. So the more you can prepare that way, the better. Now, when it comes to location sharing, Life three sixty is a good app if you want to share location with friends and family that is cross platform.
Speaker 2: It works really well. If you're just.
Speaker 1: On iOS, you can use find my to see where friends and family are that are linked up with you, you know that are all on your Apple ID or people who have agreed to share their.
Speaker 2: Location with you.
Speaker 1: Now on Android, there's a little feature that's actually quite useful. This is on Google Maps. If you locate yourself, you'll see a blue circle on the map. If you tap that circle up will pop up a message that says share location. You can share your location with anyone for a predetermined amount of time. You can say share my location for an hour, or share my location until I turn this feature off. That's a really handy feature and it does work cross platforms, so that's very very nice to.
Speaker 2: Know out now.
Speaker 1: When it comes to SOS, this is there's a bunch of built in emergency features on the iPhone and Android. You should familiarize yourself with this. On the iPhone, if you press and hold the power button and the volume up button for a couple of seconds, you will see emergency call. So that way you can immediately activate the SOS feature on the iPhone. You can also turn on the option in settings to just press the side button five times, and so if you're just like in a hurry you don't really know how to dial nine one one, or if you're in a different country. This will work in any country because the iPhone kind of knows where you are and it will immediately dial emergency services. And you can set it to have a countdown time or you can just do it immediately. Again, you have to turn that on in settings, so definitely check that out now if you have a new iPhone, iPhone fourteen and fourteen pro and this saved a lot of lives over in Hawaii. Apparently, Emergency SOS via satellite this is a new feature, so this routes your emergency texts over a satellite see you have to have a clear view of the sky, and this is something that's a little bit tricky to do, so I would recommend if you have an iPhone fourteen or fourteen Pro, go into the settings, go into Settings SOS and scroll all the way down and if you see Emergency SOS via Satellite, you can try a demo of that feature. You can also share your location over satellite in the Find My app if you open the app and tap me, you can see that. Now on Android they have similar features, not the satellite just yet, but go ahead on Android and set up your emergency contacts in your settings, go to Settings Safety and Emergency and then of course they also have a similar Press the side button five times to activate. You go into Settings Safety and Emergency Emergency SOS and there's also a feature called Emergency Sharing. This will send your current location and a request for help to your emergency contacts. You can include a f in five seconds of audio. I tested this last weekend. I sent an emergency picture and audio to my mother in law by accident. She was very surprised. Thankfully the picture was of my legs and I had pants on, because that would have been really really emergent. Really that would have been a new emergency. And finally, on iPhone and Android, you might have gotten a wireless emergency alert in the past and you might have said I don't want these alerts on, and you might have turned them off in your haste. I would say it's probably a good time to turn them back on. Go into iPhone Settings and then Notifications and scroll all the way down past your list of apps. You'll see government alerts and you can turn on emergency alerts and public safety alerts. Android very similar. Go into Settings Safety and Emergency, wireless emergency alerts and you can turn those on again. If you're on Android, go into Settings Safety and Emergency. That is your friend today to check out all of the different safety features on iPhone notifications and also inside the SOS features SOS and Emergency that's where you're going to find all of those features as well. Emergency SOS is the actual label. All right, I know he gave you a lot. I put it all on my website rich on tech dot TV. Just hit the banner at the top and you can see links to everything that I mentioned in today's show. All right, coming up your calls at Triple eight. Rich One oh one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. My name is rich DeMuro and you are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. I know I went through a lot in the first segment when it comes to emergency preparedness. And I'm not one of these people that you know. I'm not trying to say doom and gloom is happening, but you have to be prepared. And it's better to be informed about this and have nothing happen then to be scrambling if something does happen. We don't know what the extent of this storm is going to be, but it is always, always, always best to be prepared. And I'm getting a lot of questions from my kids because they're hearing a lot of stuff, they're seeing a lot of stuff. I'm sure you are too, So it's always best to just be in the driver's seat when it comes to all of this stuff. By the way, charge electric cars too and gas up. Those are two things I covered hurricanes back in my early days of my career, and I will never forget.
Speaker 2: We were in what was would turn out to be Katrina.
Speaker 1: And we were in Mobile, Alabama, I believe when it hit, and it was or where we Pensacola, I can't remember. We were somewhere in the south and we were in place. And the toughest thing in the morning was when this storm was just beginning to hit, was trying to find gas. We must have driven for an hour to find gas. And so that is another thing that's always smart to gas up. I never, at this point in my life life, I never go to sleep without less, you know, less than like a quarter tank or something. But I you know, in emergency situations, always always always have a full tank. All right, let's go to Dennis. Dennis is in Corona, California. Dennis, you're on with Rich, very rich.
Speaker 3: So I have a I have two daughters, nine and eleven, and it seems like all their schoolmates have phones and they're not clamshells. They're all smartphones. I'd like to get your opinion on how to desk to monitor. I have two old old iPhone sevens that I was thinking about getting on and giving those to them, but you know, I don't want to have to ask for their phone and figure out something after the fact. You know, I'd like to be able to monitor their social media, their texts and just make sure there's nothing you know, with that independence comes some vulnerability. Yeah, so I just want to get your your opinion on I mean, I guess I might have to go through each of their social media apps and try to put rental controls on all of it. But I don't know if there's one encompassing app that sort of helps facilitate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, first off, good luck, because this is not easy, and I have two kids, and you know, I've got a whole bunch of precautions in place, and let me tell you, it's a headache. But it's also good at the same time, and it's also very, very complicated. Just today, my kids were complaining because they couldn't use Facebook Messenger to chat with their friends because I had it blocked at the network level, because you know, just because why do they need that? But now they're getting to the age where they want it. So a couple of things to look at. Number one, start with the screen time parental controls inside the iPhone. They're kind of complicated, but you can do a lot from there in limiting what they can do at the network level. You may want to look into a router that allows you to do things like block adult websites or block any sites. I've an EO and I can go through and block pretty much any popular website at the network level, which is really handy.
Speaker 2: And then if you want something that's.
Speaker 1: More full serviced, I would check out two services. The first is Bark b A RK. These are parntal controls that do all the things that you were talking about, monitor social media, texting, but you have to understand that some of those things are limited based on the iOS operating system. And the other one is AURA au Area, So I would check those things out. Those are the main platforms that I would look at, and I think using a combination of those things is going.
Speaker 2: To help you.
Speaker 1: The router that I like that has Bark built in is Villo Vilo, so you can check that out. They have a partnership with Bark and so you can get everything.
Speaker 2: Kind of all in one.
Speaker 1: But Dennis, no easy solution to this, but definitely I'm glad as a parent that you are looking into this and you are being proactive.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, coming up, we're going to talk about robo calls, why do we get them, and how to stop them right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We've all had that phone call, the spam call, the scam call.
Speaker 2: The robo call.
Speaker 1: They are annoying and True Caller is one of the apps that is trying to battle these calls. On the line is Clayton Leah Bratton of True Caller. Thanks so much for joining me today, be.
Speaker 5: Rich, thanks for having me soho really great to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about robo calls in general, because I don't understand in twenty twenty three why we're still getting them.
Speaker 2: Can you explain?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the reason why we're getting them that is, as long as humans have had money, somebody else has wanted to take it from them. And the people who are perpetrating these fraudulent schemes are both astute technologists, so they know how to get through the systems, and they are very accomplished psychologists and social engineers, and so it's just a numbers game, right If they're able to get through to vulnerable people, and we think that we're not vulnerable, but at any given moment, you could be. And they're getting more sophisticated than their scams. So this is two thousand and nine. True Caller has now grown to over three hundred and fifty million monthly active users globally in forty two countries. This is a global problem, right, It's an international problem. So we're going to do something about it.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that they're trying to you know, scam us or get money. I mean, is that really always what it comes down to, where they're trying to sell, like even like a sales pitch.
Speaker 2: Is that like a scam usually?
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's important for people to remember there are legitimate global calls, right. It could be a pharmacy, it could be traveling hospitality, and they use machines to dial masses of people for notifications. School systems aren't known for that. That's technically a robo call.
Speaker 5: But when they are.
Speaker 6: Used for nefarious purposes, they're not always outright fraud, like giving your credit card or send me an Apple gift card or something like that. Sometimes they're just collecting your personal information. So it could be a senior citizen, a medicare fraud scam, and all they really want to do is to get more detailed personal information they can leverage for identity theft in the future. So it's not always a clear cut of just asking for money, it's gathering more information.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So the number one question I always get when it comes to robo calls and scam calls is how did they get my phone number?
Speaker 2: Where are they getting this from?
Speaker 6: Interestingly enough, right, there's they multi source this from anywhere you've ever put in So you've seen the data breaches that large communications and enterprises have had, large retailers have had, Right, maybe you put your phone number into a point of sale system for a loyalty club, some retailer, or what we really see now is that people have been trading their privacy for the convenience of social media, and they put so much information about themselves out in social media that it doesn't take a lot of mining to get very precise information. If you've given me somebody's phone for three days, I'll tell you more about them than the FBI or the NSA. Really, I mean, we put so much information out there about ourselves, and then we wonder why we're vulnerable.
Speaker 1: So, how do they make the phone number look like it's coming from either a number near me or my number?
Speaker 2: What does that? Why do they do that just to make me answer?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So what?
Speaker 6: That's called neighbor spoofing, and it's just human nature to say, oh, that looks like it's from my area code.
Speaker 5: It's a much higher probability that that's someone.
Speaker 6: That might know me or that I might have a relationship with, might do business with, and that neighbor spoofing has proven very effective. Now I do have to credit the Federal Communications Commission and carriers for implementing something called stirshaken, which is basically a handshake protocol to say this is a very number, it does belong to this carrier, and that has greatly reduced at least the spoofing, if not the robo call volumes, because.
Speaker 8: There's other methods.
Speaker 6: And the reason you can do that is because as soon as we went to a voice over internet protocol or internet or internet phone right then you're not necessarily just some analog service over copper lines. You can put anything you want in the front of that message and the header message to say anything you want. And so again, enforcement is in. Policy are working to a certain extent, but you've got to be vigilant and you've got to have really that last line. It depends, like true caller, for the bad guys that get through.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get to some of the things that true caller does, I want to know, do you have any general tips on how to like, do we just stop sharing our phone number?
Speaker 2: I mean that's kind of impossible.
Speaker 1: It's like the phone number is everything now, like every service wants us to log in with our number.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it really is your identifier. And I think that there's a difference between being paranoid and vigilant, right. I think that there's obvious cases where maybe you know, you might want to quesquestion. I wouldn't treat it quite as closely as they do my social Security number, but I would be selective about it, right. And of course, if it's an unknown call, it's easy to say, well, just don't answer unknown calls. But there's a lot of people out there and professionals who's livelihood depends on taking that next call. It might not be somebody in your contact, but it may be an opportunity and so what we want to try to do is to protect those folks if they could take the call, the calls.
Speaker 1: That matter, right, And that's the crutch of this whole thing, because Okay, so like my wife, she'll sit there and the phone will ring and it's a different number, and she'll be like, I'm not answering that. I said, wait a second, our kids are like at school or at their friend's house, Like we don't know whose number that is. Like my rule is like if my kids aren't with me, I always have to answer the number.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: If you you just describe, you know, called the soccer moment, Right, You've got all these play groups and teams and all the people that you know that aren't going to be in your contact right from the school and all the activities, and then you have somebody like you yourself, a journalist. You're getting blind calls all the time, callbacks all the time, and you can't afford not to answer the call. If you're a salesperson, if you're a realtor, right, your livelihood depends on communicating. And the robo callers and the scammers and the fronters have deprived us of that communication. So we've got to protect ourselves with smarter solutions.
Speaker 1: And so what do you make of the call filtering apps that the carriers put out versus what you put out?
Speaker 5: You know? So I think that the first of all, we are compatible with it.
Speaker 6: We are like, like I said, the last line of the fence or a layer, that last layer on top of those.
Speaker 5: So I think that they're okay, right. What they're trying to do is to maintain.
Speaker 6: A decent database of suspicious numbers and try to identify callers as they come in. And it's bundled into your plan, and it does a decent job, right. My concern is that sometimes they could be blocking calls you know, falls positive, or you could be blocking calls that they really should be getting through. I would be, you know, be mortified if my parents didn't get a medical call or a pharmacy call what they wanted. But overall, I think it's it's good, right, every every it's because it's a cat and mouse game and every under measure helps. What we do is, you know, with true caller is we've got this global database that's constantly updated and so we're looking at the patterns of billion and a half scam calls. Of data we see network right and making that available and machine learning and AI to make sure that that's available. So if something does slip through what you've already got, that we can catch it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So explain to me what True Caller does. And the reason why this whole thing came up is because I said on my previous show, I said, well, I was a little concerned with putting my phone number into True Caller because when you sign up, they want your phone number, and are they sharing that with spammers?
Speaker 2: Are they selling that?
Speaker 1: I mean, can you explain, you know, how this works and if that's actually happening, because I feel like that's a common thing I hear about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it is fairly common that there are apps out there who ask you to put your information in there and then they monetize that data.
Speaker 5: That absolutely does not happen a True Caller.
Speaker 6: I would say that the user and subscriber information is absolutely Sackri saying. The only reason it's there is that if you and I are both True Caller users, that we are verified with one another, we can communicate through the platform. There's a you can imagine there's many entities that would like to license this, you know, the largest caller idea and spam blocking data in the world. Absolutely not, and so the user data is off limits. But the patterns we see in the billions of calls that go across the network, just the numbers, right, Just if we see a number of block of numbers firing off hundreds of thousands of calls at last two seconds, I'm pretty sure that that's probably nefarious activity, right, right, right.
Speaker 1: And so this happens in real time, and just explain quickly how it works on your phone and does it work the same on Android and iOS?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's a really good question. Now it doesn't, and so you know, a true call. Ever since the birth of Android, we've been the most comprehensive communications management you know, spam blocking and caller idea application. And it's very feature rich because an Android, you can actually see the phone number coming in and then you can say you can quire the data, you can actually enrich that data as it comes in. On iOS, as you know, it's very locked down and so you can't do the same thing.
Speaker 5: So we spent a good bit.
Speaker 6: Of the last couple of years developing an iOS solution and it's quite clever.
Speaker 5: What we've done.
Speaker 6: We have the ability to take the most frequently called numbers and spammers in a twenty four hour period and push them right to the device, right, And so that's just a couple of millions, so we're able to and it's constantly being updated.
Speaker 5: With AI and mL.
Speaker 6: Then we've also created a series shortcut right so that you can call it live call D and you can literally as a phone call is coming in.
Speaker 5: And say hey, serious or true caller.
Speaker 6: And that goes against our entire database of like seven billion numbers, right, So that's that's yeah. And then we've developed we've developed some advanced features like call screening where we can actually interact and engage with with the caller in a turn on whether you're going to take that call or not. That not only helps you take those calls that matter, but it's also something that just stops to get dead guys dead in their tracks, but you don't take the bad best. And then we've got other features that will be coming up around the corner that'll just make it easier to manage all your communications. And I think one of the things it's also worth talking about is the amount of spam text because you've seen as there's been some enforcement action and robo calling. This easy to send a text. It's even easier and cheapercent text. So we developed something called smart SMS and massive Message categorization and that allows us to detect those as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, we may have to leave that for another conversation because I'm out of time here, but thank you so much, Clayton Leah Bratton of True Caller. Check out the app. I'll put a link on the website Rich on tech dot TV. They do have a free level and then also some premium levels that do add some interesting features, including call recording and some other things.
Speaker 2: Clayton, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: Rich.
Speaker 1: All right, more of your questions coming up next to triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Carmen is in Hollywood, California. Carmen, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Thank you morning, Good morning.
Speaker 4: Question two questions thes prover up that might have to need internet whenever I need it, if I need it?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: So it depends on the emergency SOS you're using. So with the iPhone, if you're using the standard dialing nine one one. You actually all you need is access to any cellular service. So if you are on the latest software on the iPhone, if you ever notice at the top it says SOS when you don't have a signal, what that means is that your phone can tap into any of the three major wireless carriers to send out a nine one one emergency call. So let me repeat this, because in the US, the law says that phones have to be able to dial nine one one on any carrier's network. So let's say you have AT and T, you're in an area that has no AT and T service and you need to dial nine one one. Your phone is able to dial nine one one on Verizon or T Mobile. You don't know that's happening. It's just happening in the background. Now in other countries, they actually some of them don't allow that. And by the way, this even works on an unactivated phone. So if you had a phone in a drawer in your home and you powered it on and there is no active cellular plan on that phone, it would still be able to dial nine one one here in the US. Now, in different countries the rules are different. For instance, in Japan, I was told that they actually don't allow this sort of thing to happen, So you really need to check if you're going to a different country about dialing nine one one or their appropriate emergency service and making sure you have an active line that.
Speaker 2: Will go through as well texting.
Speaker 1: You can also text nine one one in a lot of places, so know about that. And then there is this new emergency it's called Emergency over SOS. Sorry, let me get the exact name. It's called Emergency SOS via Satellite and this is only on the iPhone fourteen and iPhone fourteen Pro models, and this is when you are outside of cellular and Wi Fi coverage, you will still be able to dial.
Speaker 2: It's not necessarily nine one.
Speaker 1: It is emergency services, but it's actually staffed by some folks that Apple has created and hired and set up, and so will they will receive. It's not a phone call, it's actually a text and that will work anywhere you have a clear view of the sky. And this is on the iPhone fourteen and fourteen Pro and so you can actually check this out inside the settings if you open up the settings app on your iphe phone, tap Emergency SOS and then if you look all the way down it says emergency SOS via satellite only if you have it, So if you have it, you can try a demo of it before you actually need it. And this will work in the United States, and you can go on the website to see exactly where this has coverage. But it's basically the entire US and in Canada and in other countries as well, So great question.
Speaker 2: It may not one caveat here.
Speaker 1: It says it may not work in places above sixty two degrees latitude, such as northern parts of Canada and Alaska. So hopefully you don't find yourself in a place where this doesn't work. But that's kind of like a fail safe place that does not require an Internet connection.
Speaker 2: Carmen, thanks for the question. Appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Ted in South Dakota. Ted, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm looking for UPS that can handle extreme temperatures hot, both hot and cold.
Speaker 1: So you want a UPS that actually works in different various conditions. So I'll tell you the way that I research products so that you can do the same. So I don't have a UPS, so I've never actually purchased one of these but this is an uninterruptible power supply, and this is basically a giant battery that you can connect to your electronics. So it has a connection for various gadgets that you can plug into this thing. And the idea is if the power goes out, this will still work. And a lot of the times that this will work for you know, maybe something like four hours. And so this, you know, you can plug in your main electronics, whether it's your modem, your router, your computer, a couple of things like that that you don't want to go down in the case of an emergency. And if you've ever worked at an office, you might have seen one of these things under or your desk or something. A lot of times they will have this, but this is for home. So the two sites that I would check out, actually I would check out three different websites and I kind of look at what they recommend and then also what Amazon is recommending as well. So the first website I go to is Wirecutter and their pick is won by cyber Power, and the second pick is by a company named APC, which you've probably heard of, And so both of these are about the cyber Power is actually pretty reasonable. It's one hundred and thirty nine dollars. The APC is about two hundred and seventy five dollars. Now you're gonna have to check to see what the temperature rating is on these things, because they may or may not work, you know, depending on the temperature that you need.
Speaker 2: There's a range for these.
Speaker 1: Now, if I go over to best Reviews dot com, which is owned by Nexstar, the company I work for on TV, they recommend APC as well and also CyberPower. So now this is telling me that APC and CyberPower are the two that I want, and they say the best of the best is the APC. And then they also have the CyberPower listed as a one that they like as well. And then if I go to Amazon and I search for a ups backup, the best seller is an APC model, but it's only sixty bucks. So if you want something that's really a little bit higher end, their popular brand pick is the cyber Power. And so again all roads are leading to the same two companies, CyberPower and APC. So that's where I would I would focus my efforts and research and to kind of narrow down to see which one of these is going to work with what I need. So that's the way I would do it. Ted in South Dakota. Thanks for the question, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I talk about the website rich on tech dot tv. That is where you can go to get more information on anything I mentioned here. So if you go there, you can not only see the things that I mentioned on the show. At the top of the screen, it will say looking for something I mentioned on the radio, so you can tap that and in real time it is updated with the different things that people ask and the links that I put in to everything that I mentioned there. So rich on tech dot tv while you're there, if you want to subscribe to the podcast version of this, you can do that as well. You can listen later, and you can follow me on social media. I am at rich on tech on all the major social media networks.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up.
Speaker 1: On the next hour, I'm going to tell you about the one thing that hackers wants you to know about, how Bluetooth works on your iPhone. You're listening to rich on tech, all right, let's talk about the iPhone. And there's this big hacker conference called Defcon. This happened in Las Vegas over the last week and they.
Speaker 2: Did something interesting there.
Speaker 1: A security researcher used a small vice costs about seventy bucks to create pop up messages on nearby iPhones using Bluetooth. Now, these messages wanted people to share their Apple ID or password with a nearby Apple TV. And now, as you might expect, the people at attend this kind of conference are pretty smart, so they didn't fall for it.
Speaker 2: But it was an experiment.
Speaker 1: Number one to show that if you turn off Bluetooth on iPhones, there's actually two ways of doing it, and most of us do it the way that doesn't really turn it off. And I'll explain that in a second. So the way that most people use the Bluetooth on iPhone is you use what's called the Control Center, and that's when you swipe down from the upper right hand corner and you toggle the little Bluetooth icon. That doesn't actually turn off Bluetooth. If you really want to turn off Bluetooth, you have to go into settings and turn it off there and that completely turns off that Bluetooth radio. Now, the whole point of this was really to tell people, you know what number one, you're turning off Bluetooth.
Speaker 2: The wrong way.
Speaker 1: If you think it's off, it's not actually off, and that way, in that way, someone could still try to hack you. And number two, it's to show that there are many, many methods of trying to get us. And it's not just the spam text and it's not just the robo calls. It is stuff like this where they try to engineer or reverse engineer our phones and social engineer us. Because how many times have you been to a conference center or an office where you need to connect to an Apple TV or some sort of service to share your screen, and of course you do this. Now it might seem a little odd that it's asking you to put in your Apple ID and your password, but again you might say, oh, that's maybe what I have to do. So according to Tom's guy, what you're doing when you toggle the Bluetooth off in the control center, you're really just telling your iPhone to disconnect any devices that are currently connected. And so the reason this is so complicated, it's like there's not even easy way to explain it. But the reason why they do this on the iPhone, and this is a change from years ago, is because everyone's using these air pods and all these earbuds and Apple watches, and you know Tesla's to do the Bluetooth, you know nearby Bluetooth. So if you turn off Bluetooth completely on your iPhone, you lose the ability to connect to things like your AirPods and stuff when you want to, when they're nearby, And so the iPhone sort of stays dormant with Bluetooth unless you go into settings and completely turn it off. So if you want to disabled Bluetooth completely, you have to go into settings and turn off Bluetooth.
Speaker 2: And the same goes for Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you're toggling Wi Fi off in the control center, it's just toggling it off that connection that it's actively connected to. If you truly want to turn off any sort of Wi Fi on your phone, you have to go into settings. I know it's a weird delineation, but it's something that you know, people like myself know about, but I don't think a lot of other people even think about. I did something interesting this week. I signed up for a mobile driver's license through the state of California. And this is something that we're seeing happen in more and more places, more and more states. This idea of a digital driver's license digital ID. Now, college kids probably don't really want this, because I don't know about you, but when I was in college, if I had a fail proof way of a place verifying my age, probably wouldn't have liked that very much, you know.
Speaker 2: And let's put it this way.
Speaker 1: Anyone who checks an ID that is looking at that ID and looking at the person standing in front of them, the person is, you know, maybe not the age they need to be. You are not fooling anyone. Give me a break. I can tell how old someone is, and I can tell if someone is of a certain age.
Speaker 2: I get it, maybe if they're right on the cusp.
Speaker 1: But when you have a thing that says you're twenty six and you're really seventeen, come on, they know what's happening, and they're just letting it slide. Now, with the new digital driver's license and age checks, that is not gonna happen anymore because they're going to be scanning your license. And I'm not talking the barcode on the back. This is a QR code that's on your phone. And so basically with California they're testing this new mobile driver's license. You can download the California DMV wallet app and you can sign up. And the way I signed up, you scan the front and back of your driver's license and then you basically take a picture of your face and they say they're scanning your face to match it up, and then it takes about a couple hours from me before they approve it. And I don't know if that's actually a human approving it on the back end or if.
Speaker 2: It's just a computer system.
Speaker 1: But this pilot is limited to one point five million participants. Now it's been going on for a couple of days. Now, they may have hit that already. As you might imagine, the comments on my Facebook page about this where wide ranging. A lot of people don't want to do this because why do they want to have more information out there than they need to Why do they want a digital driver's license when the physical one is just fine? And by the way, this does not work with Apple Wallet, it does not work with Google Wallet, so you can't actually store this on your phone in the same place you store your credit card. It's just stored inside this wallet app that the DMV has, so it's kind of weird. And by the way, there's almost nowhere you can use this. There's a couple of checkpoints that the TSA will allow this at at San Francisco Airport and LAX and also some places can allow you to verify your age as well.
Speaker 2: So why go through the whole hassle of all this.
Speaker 1: Well, I like to be on the cutting edge, I like to try new things, and I just wanted to see what this is all about.
Speaker 2: But at this point, even if you.
Speaker 1: Download and sign up for this, you still have to carry your physical driver's license. And you know, there's some there's some definite things that come along with this. Whether you like it or not, this is just a precursor to what's going to happen in the future, and that is that all driver's licenses will eventually be digital. That's just the bottom line. It's gonna happen, kind of like the way credit cards are now. It was like at the beginning of the wallets, the digital wallets, you could have an option of having it in there. Now it's pretty much tapped to pay is the way to go for like ninety nine percent of people, well maybe not maybe not ninety nine percent.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Let's see phone number triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question about tech, give me a call. If you have Disney Plus, they are going to start the password sharing crackdown. Netflix is they were the first to take this dive, and they said, you know what, it worked. They converted a whole lot of people into paying Netflix members because they flipped a switch and when you logged in, it said, hmmm, this doesn't look like it's logging in from the account or the area that we think.
Speaker 2: It should be.
Speaker 1: Seems like you're a friend of a friend that's logging in on your friend's account. Hey, if you still want to keep using this, you got to pay. And what happened a lot of people just said never mind, okay, fine, I'm done, and a lot of other people said, okay, fine, I'll get my own password and my own sign up and my own payment. And so they got a lot of new people to subscribe. And so now Disney is saying, okay, now it's time for us to do the same. Disney chief Bob Iger said that they were putting a priority on finding ways to convert password borrowing users into paying customers. All this, according to Variety, they said, we're actively exploring ways to address account sharing and the best options for paying subscribers to share their accounts with friends and family.
Speaker 2: What does that mean, queue the.
Speaker 1: Cash register, chiching, because it means they will find ways to make people pay or stop streaming on their friends accounts right now. The only thing that Variety found in the customer agreement for Disney Plus, ESPN and Hulu says that customers may not share your log in credentials with third parties, but they don't specify if a third party is friends or family or someone that doesn't live in the same household. So again, come twenty twenty fourths, you've got about let's see what is it. August got a couple months before this is going to take effect. But in the case of Netflix, it took effect really quickly, like really quickly, like Netflix.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time it happened to me. I logged in.
Speaker 1: I was trying to log in on my VR headset and Netflix was I was like, oh, no, we're sorry, your household is in another state. You need to pay, And I said, wait, what I pay for this? And sure enough, when someone on my account had logged in it sets the household as their area, and I was like, oh, that's how it works, and so they said, yeah, confirm we're the household. And once you try to log in from an area that's not in that households area, the red flag goes up and it says you can't log in unless you pay up or you can reset your area. And so what I did, because I'm the owner of the account, I went in and I reset the household to mine, and that, of course kicked off everyone else that was streaming from a different place, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I mean, who knows. Maybe I shared the password with them a long time ago. I can't remember. It's tough to remember all this stuff.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: Rich On Tech is the name of the show.
Speaker 1: You are listening to rich DeMuro here talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Coming up this hour, we are going to talk to Desmond Wheatley, President and CEO of Beam Global. They've got a really cool solution for ev charging that fits into a parking spot. You are listening to rich on Tech Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one is the number if you want to hop on the line and ask me a question about technology. Let's go to Kevin in Las Vegas. Kevin, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hey, Rich, how are you? Thanks for taking the call.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Thanks for calling.
Speaker 9: I have a strange issue going on. I have a Phillips Hugh lights installed in my house. And just to give you a little background, last year I had the Geek Squad install for me echob thermostads, schleg door locks. I put that in Phillips Hugh sinkbox and lights around my TVs and then just lights in all the lambs.
Speaker 2: Oh you're in it. You're in a minute, right.
Speaker 9: So I took the sink boxes off because they just made the TV take minutes to start up, literally two or three minutes to get the TV to start. And I called the Geese Squad back once they tried to fix it, they saw it happen. So I just eventually took.
Speaker 4: That off.
Speaker 7: Largely.
Speaker 9: Okay, but here's the issue I have. I wake up in the morning and I hit a good morning thing that should turn on all the lamps in the house. And what will happen is they all turn on but then slowly and I can sit there and look at the app and I can see it happened. A light will turn on in the kitchen, then one'll go down to one percent in my office, and then the family room will you know, prove them will turn out and if I turn those back on, other ones go out. And then eventually, after I fool with this for about ten minutes, it happened every single morning, eventually they stay and you know, but it's like when I first wake up and first turn it on. This happens every single day and I and I have both the Apple Home app and the Phillips Shoe App, although I usually use it in the Phillips Shoe app. And I can literally see like the slider's moving to turn a light off or to dim a light, and I just have to manually go back in. And after I do this maybe four or five times in switch lights, it then seems to settle in and work for the rest of the day. And I know it's a crazy question, but I wonder if you have any idea.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so when you say the good morning thing, is this a voice command?
Speaker 9: No, it's a it's a button. You know, I created a button, and I have all the lights on there. When I hate good morning or good night, it'll it'll turn them on or turn them off.
Speaker 2: Okay, And how did you create that?
Speaker 9: I created that in the Apple Home app. Okay, all right, So I put all the lights in there, and then you know, had them you know which ones I wanted to turn on, which ones I wanted to turn off when I said, you know, good night.
Speaker 2: Okay. So here's what I think is happening.
Speaker 1: And this this I think has to do with routines. So the way that these lights work is that it's you know, and Phillips, you are very great. I mean, they're really nice, and they in all of these lights. By the way, I've tested all the different brands, and none of them are perfect. I think that the Phillips are near perfect, Like they work really well, but they're also very expensive, which is why you know a lot of people are shy away from them, and they are the most popular brand. But at the same time, you know, they kind of invented this genre of lights. But I think this has to do with routines. The way that these lights work is that they typically take commands in kind of a sequence. So when it's like light on and then bring it up to one hundred percent and then change the color. So those things happen not at the same time, but sort of like in different sequences. And so that's what I think you're seeing happen with this situation. And I think that because it's going through that third party Apple Home Kit app. I think that's why it's that Home Kit or the Apple Home app is actually running sort of a sequence of commands to these lights. So it's saying, okay, fire the lights on, Okay, let's dim the lights, and that's why you're seeing those sliders move and everything kind of adjust for a little bit of time before it settles in.
Speaker 2: That's the way it works.
Speaker 1: And the only reason I say that is because I've got lights in my in my office that are on a routine through Google Home and it's really weird to when you when you when the routine works, it's fine, but when it doesn't work, when one of the lights is out, it will say all these weird things like light number one is not responding, or light number one is not dimming. Light number one can't change the color like it'll respond, And so I know that it's doing things in a sequence, and so.
Speaker 2: That is what I think is happening.
Speaker 1: The way to change that or solve it, I would make sure everything's updated because there are you know there there have been many many updates to these smart lights in the last couple of months, and I don't know is Phillips on with matter.
Speaker 2: Let's see the thing that's coming up yet. Matter.
Speaker 1: So matter is like the new kind of standard for all of these lights, and so if you could update these to work with matter, I think that might be a nice thing to do and see if it simplifies kind of this little system that you have that you've built. The other thing I would do is I would try to build a similar routine inside the Phillips Hoe app if that's possible. I've got a couple of my things on a routine there and it does seem to work more so than any other routine.
Speaker 2: I have the two routines that I have.
Speaker 1: That work the best I've built through Amazon Alexa and also through the just Phillips app. So might try playing with those things to see if that works. But I agree, Kevin, you've got a lot of things set up on here, so I think there's like a lot riding on the line, and none of this stuff is perfect. But if it's working at the end of the day, I think that's really what matters. But I know it's probably not something you want to do about, you know, like deleting these routines that you've created and putting them back up, but you may want to consider doing that. Thanks for the call today, Kevin in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it real quick.
Speaker 1: If you have a smart watch or a fitbit, you might want to clean the band. A recent study by clean the band that sounds like a band name. Recent study by researchers found that almost all Apple watches and Fitbit wrist bands have harmful bacteria on them. They tested plastic, rubber, cloth, leather, and metal bands. Ninety five percent of them had dangerous bacteria. People who wore smart watches during workouts had the most bacteria. Let's see the type of material also affects bacteria. Rubber and plastic were the worst. Metal wrist bands, especially gold and silver, had less.
Speaker 10: Welcome back to Rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich DeMuro here hanging out talking technology with you on location in the city of Los Angeles.
Speaker 10: We are standing under a.
Speaker 1: Sustainable self contained ev charging solution. It is being deployed in cities across America and the world. And joining me now is Desmond Wheatley, the CEO of Beam Global.
Speaker 5: You make these things.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, Rich, Thanks very much for having me.
Speaker 11: Yes, we're very proud of this product to your Our ev ARC electric vehicle, autonomous renewable charger, invented, designed, engineered, and best of all manufactured here in the United States, providing the driving on sunshine experience to customers all over the US and as you said, increasingly internationally as well.
Speaker 1: So the device is self contained and sustainable. So it looks like a giant solar panel plus a battery on top of a flat panel that lays in a parking spot. So this fits in a standard parking spot, and you can deploy ev charging, and not just EV charging, but all types of charging pretty much anywhere you can place one of these.
Speaker 11: You're exactly right, So the ev ARC fits inside a standard legal sized parking space fantastically. It doesn't reduce available parking in any way at all, because the vehicle is actually able to park on the ballast and traction pad, which is what gives the unit stability and ensures it doesn't blow away in hurricane force winds or during an earthquake or something like that. So you're getting all of this power generation being fed into vehicles or into other devices. You're not losing any available parking, and crucially, you didn't have to do any construction or electrical work. You'll never get a utility bill, and this will keep your electric vehicles running during a blackout or a brownout.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the different components I mentioned kind of briefly. It has a solar panel on top. Explain to me what's happening with this beam device.
Speaker 11: Yes, we're converting sunlight into electricity. We're doing that in a hyper efficient way because we have a patented tracking solution, and that causes the solar array to follow the sun as it moves across the sky in a really clever way. That gives us about twenty five percent more electricity than we'd anticipate from a fixed solar array fix. Rolary is still good, but trackings even better because twenty five percent more electricity means twenty five percent more miles driven by the electric vehicle. Now, we obviously wanted the thing to work day or night, or during periods when the sun isn't shining inclement weather like we're about to have here this weekend, and so we have our own proprietary battery solutions that we build into the product as well. So we convert so light and electricity, we store that electricity in batteries, and then we convert the electricity into a format that's usable by electric vehicles, or by cell phones, or by life saving equipment or whatever else you might decide to plug into it.
Speaker 1: So you've got the battery and not only do you have at least two car chargers, but you also have plugs and USB. So someone if this was in a park, for instance, someone could come and charge their phone from this device. And there's also an emergency component as well.
Speaker 10: Explain that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So actually we set them up to charge as many as six vehicles at the same time. So picture a flea operator like Los Angeles. Six fleet vehicles can plug in at the end of shift. The next time when they come back and use those vehicles, they'll be full again. We call this daily range replenishment. It's a fantastic way to.
Speaker 5: Fuel your vehicle.
Speaker 11: Gone are the days of going to the gas station and hanging around and pumping liquid, carcinogens and everything into a tank in your vehicle. Now you're just plugging in, just like you would plug in your cell phone while you're doing something else. Six vehicles charge. End of shift. But you're right, there are other things we can do with this as well. We have an emergency power panel, so if there is a blackout or a brownout or some other sort of disaster, first responders can come and connect to this and run life saving equipment, radios, computers, whatever else they need to do. And by the way, which that's happened, that's not just a story. We've had lots of instances where that's happened. And then a little bit more on the consumer side. Yes, we've got one hundred and twenty vol outlets and USB ports as well, so that you can charge your cell phone or your laptop. And it's surprising how often sometimes people are more excited about that than they are about being able to charge their cars.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's definitely interesting to have that ability as well. How much of a charge can one of these provide?
Speaker 11: An EVRC electric vehicle Autonomous Renewable charge is going to generate and store enough electricity to provide up to two hundred and sixty five driving miles in a day. Now, the average US sedan drives thirty point four miles per day. Fleet vehicles like we commonly charge around twenty miles a day. So you can see, with this single unit, in a single parking space, with no construction and no electrical work and no utility bill, we're able to charge six to ten fleet vehicles every day and give them that daily range replenishment. New York City is our biggest customer from a city point of view. Actually US Army is our biggest customer in total, but in New York City, even in the winter, we're recharging police cars there. So it's a very effective technology. Again, invented the United States and manufactured here. We're very proud of that.
Speaker 1: How much does one of these costs and how does that compare to actually digging and building out power lines?
Speaker 11: And that's that's exactly the right question, because the fact the matter is the answer to how much one of these things costs is less. It costs less than the voided costs of construction, less than digging the trenches, less than pulling the wires, less than pouring the concrete. The average selling price on This is about seventy thousand dollars. There are fantastic tax incentives associated with it. So if you have a tax liability, as many of our larger customers do, they're going to get about forty percent of that money back from in terms of out of pocket costs. And then of course you've got a lifetime of electricity or lifetime of fuel for your vehicles. You're never going to get a utility bill. And so in almost every instance, we have an awful lot of these things deployed across the United States and internationally. In almost every instance, the cost of the unit was less than the cost of digging the trenches and going through all that lengthy construction.
Speaker 5: Work and everything else.
Speaker 11: It takes about two years to deploy a grid tie charger in New York City by the time you go through planning and construction electrical work, which we do the same thing in under one hour and far less expensively.
Speaker 1: This is a big unit, Like I said, it fits in a standard parking spot, but you've got a big solar panel on top, you've got a battery.
Speaker 10: It's all kind of.
Speaker 1: On this hinge mechanism, I guess, or you know some sort of thing that holds it up this big bar, and then you've got this platform.
Speaker 10: Is this safe? Pople might wonder? Can I park under this? Can I step under?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 2: Is this safe?
Speaker 11: Designed, invented, engineered, manufactured in these United States of America. This is a very robust product. It's designed and in fact independently stamped to withstand wins of one hundred and sixty miles per hour. But it's done much better than that. In the Caribbean. It survived one hundred and eighty five mile in our Category five hurricane wins. It's flood proof to nine and a half feet, and there is nothing that an earthquake can do to hurt it. So this is an incredibly robust piece of equipment, built to the highest possible standards. Look, it's in the built environment. We know there are gonna be consumers and gonna be people wandering around these things, and we cannot let anybody get hurt by any of these things. We have never had a structural failure, and very proud of the team that builds them, and I am very proud of our factory facility, in the engineering that's gone into this.
Speaker 10: Tell me about that team you're based in San Diego.
Speaker 11: We're based in San Diego. Yeah, we're again fantastic. It's a meritocracy. We are for merit, but I think we seek out merit in places that some others ignore. We have veterans, we have workers disabilities, we have immigrants like me. We even have people who have had who have a dodgy history, but have paid their price to society. We're very proud of that team. With diversity, we get a lot of input. We got a lot of very clever ideas and their mission driven. I mean, we're letting Americans drive on sunshine. We're getting rid of their gasoline bills, We're getting rid of their reliance on foreign oil. This is about energy security. It's about cleaning up the environment if you care about that. But most importantly, it's about saving people a lot of money and giving them a great experience.
Speaker 5: Where is this being used well.
Speaker 11: At the moment, Better than half of our customers are fleet operators. So as I mentioned US Army, the Marine Corps. By the way, we are from the Marine Corps. Guys take off their uniforms and mirror mort and then they walk two miles to our factory and we put them in our Uniform Veterans Administration, so we have federal government. States of California's one of our biggest customers. I had the great honor of meeting the governor the other day because of the problems we're solving, not because of me, that's for sure. And then on the corporate side, customers like Google and Johnson and and others providing workplace charging for their employees so their employees can come in. We can plug in as many as six employees to this device. Every one of them will get their daily range replenishment before they leave to go home at the end of the day. And it didn't cost anybody anything. There's no unit costs to the energy because we're getting it from this glorious sunshine. So the way I like to think about this is this is an American product, taking American renewable energy and putting it into Americans vehicles with no unit costs of energy. I am absolutely certain that everybody will end up driving electric vehicle, and not because they're told to by the government or anybody else. They're going to do it because they're just way better, far more fun to drive. You never have to go to the gas station, you never have to do any maintenance on them. They're just super gadgets to own and you're going to love them.
Speaker 1: Them are some fighting words when it comes to, you know, traditional gas cars, but I will admit driving EV is a lot of fun. Where are you from, by the way.
Speaker 11: I'm from Scotland originally, and I'll say this about driving an EV driving there's only one thing better than driving an EV, driving on sunshine.
Speaker 5: That's what we provide.
Speaker 11: But yes, I'm from Scotland originally. America has been very very good to me. I'm trying to be good bye to it. So thank you for guys.
Speaker 1: Where can folks find out more about the ev RC and.
Speaker 11: Beam The best place, of course to go is our website which is Beam four all dot com. So that's b E A M F O R A L L dot com.
Speaker 10: Desmend weekly from Beam Global.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 11: That's been my great pleasure.
Speaker 5: Rich thanks for having me.
Speaker 10: More rich on Tech coming your way.
Speaker 1: If you have a question about technology, give me a call. It's triple eight Rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 1: If I had just a tenth of the energy that our last interview had, maybe this show would be more popular or less.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Uh triple eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You can find me online at rich on tech dot tv. There you can see some of the stories I cover for television. You can see show notes for past shows, subscribe to the podcast, and you can find me on social media. I'm on Instagram x formerly Twitter, Facebook, threads all at.
Speaker 2: Rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Let's go to John in Newbury Park, California. John, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hi, Rich, thank you. I just got a quick question. We've been using cable for a long time and the price just keeps going up and up and up, and I'm trying to get a sense of how streaming is different, maybe better than cable, and what's the downside of streaming.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a big report out this week that streaming has become more expensive than cable, and I do not believe that to be true. Here's the thing. When you are streaming, you are in control. You pay for cable, You're paying eighty five ninety bucks a month for a bunch of stuff you don't need. When you're paying for streaming, you're paying seventy five dollars for a bunch of stuff you don't need. That was a joke, no, I mean, but the reality is, yes, the prices of streaming services has gone up. Like I've said, the free ride is over. These things started out extremely cheap, and they the price on them keeps going up. But here's the big difference. The difference is do you need all that other stuff?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 1: It used to be when you had cable you would pay, like I said, ninety bucks a month and you'd get all these channels whether you watch.
Speaker 2: Them or not.
Speaker 1: With streaming, you decide what you want to subscribe to. Now you've heard of the big streaming services like Netflix and YouTube TV and Sling TV, and you know all these other you know, Hulu and Disney Plus. But there are a whole bunch of smaller streaming services out there as well.
Speaker 2: So a couple of resources for you, John, Which number one?
Speaker 1: I say, just dive in and do it to cut the cord.
Speaker 2: You'll be very very happy.
Speaker 1: You can go to a service like Real Good R E E, L, g OO D and you can see all of the streaming services that you can subscribe to now again the popular ones Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime, Hulu, FX Stars, crunchy Roll, But there are literally hundreds of streaming services like fandor Epics, Fear Factory, Let's see what else, Freeform, free V that's a free one, Fubuu TV, Funimation, there are so many scream Box Science, I mean things I've never even heard of, popcorn flix Plex. So there's a whole bunch of streaming services. You kind of build the catalog of things that you want, and if you don't like it, you get rid of it. Another good resource for you is called chord Cutter Weekly. Cord Cutter Weekly is written by techtjournalist Jared Newman. He's been on the show several times and he is a great resource for not only getting into this, but also finding the best deals and making the most of your streaming services. The other thing I like is called just Watch. This is a streaming guide for all of these streaming services. You can find it at just watch dot com. And the bottom line is that you are in control. If you're watching HBO Max and you're subscribing, and all of a sudden you decide you know what, HBO doesn't really have anything for me anymore. You go ahead, you go online and you cancel. Try doing that easily with cable it is impossible. You've got to call someone up. You've got to talk to them. They've got a sales team. They escalate you, they try to convince you, they give you two months free. All of this stuff with streaming is done online and at will, and so you have the ability to start and stop these services on your terms.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: A couple things to keep in mind very quickly is cable TV bundles versus a streaming service like Netflix. There are services like YouTube TV, Sling TV, and Fubu that are basically replacing cable TV that gives you a whole bunch of channels that you would traditionally get from a cable TV provider, like the Food Network, HGTV, Bravo, all those different channels that you may or may not need. So personally, the way I do it is I just put together this streaming services that I want, like a Netflix, a Prime Video, HBO, Max, Disney Plus, oh gosh, I have a lot of them, Apple TV Plus and Hulu. Those are the services that I subscribe to. And pay for I was doing the YouTube TV for like I think it's like eighty five bucks a month, but I realized I just wasn't watching it as much. I don't need all that content. And when it comes to your local channels, you can typically find those streaming on other places, so for instance, hang on, let me grab this. For instance, Roku channel this week did a deal where they have forty new TV channels that you can watch for free. They partnered with CBS News and Fox TV stations, So if you're in a major city like New York, LA, Chicago, you can watch these stations for free.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 1: The station I work for, KTLA has an app called Ktla Plus. You download that and you can watch for free. So I think this is kind of the thing that's happening across the nation, is that people want to be able to choose when and how and what they watch. And also they you know, they decide with their dollars what is important to them. If you don't want Netflix, if Netflix isn't making the kind of program that you want anymore, you can.
Speaker 2: Get rid of it. And it's very very easy.
Speaker 1: Good question, John, but I say go for it. I was a little hesitant to cut the cord. Probably gosh, there's probably been five years at this point. My wife was very much against it and would I would never look back at this point. All Right, A lot of you have emailed in let's see, Jill says, are all of the cell phone companies equal? I live in southern Cali, Alifornia. I'm currently an AT and T customer. I only have one line. I'm looking for less expensive service. What should I consider, Jill? You should consider what's called an MVN and know the services are not all equal. There are three. There's T Mobile, there's Verizon, and there's AT and T. They are all good for different things. AT and T is kind of in the middle. It's very broad range. You're gonna have a good signal pretty much everywhere you go. Verizon is really good in like, densely populated areas. They have super super fast service in many stadiums and downtowns and things like that, and then in rural areas they're really good, whereas T Mobile is really strong in kind of the city areas. So but for you personally, if you want to stick with AT and T, I would look into Cricket, which they own. But there are no contract and the plans are a lot cheaper. You just don't get maybe as many perks with those plans, but you can get a plan starting at thirty, forty, fifty five or sixty dollars month. The one that I really like is mint Mobile. I think they're fantastic. They were actually purchased by T Mobile that runs on T Mobile's network, but that's what I use for my secondary line, my test line, and it has been absolutely fantastic. Good question, Catherine says, how can I sync my iPad and iPhone so my text messages show up on my iPad? This is a feature called continuity. You can sign up for this feature in your settings on your iPhone and on your iPad. If you open up the settings on your iPhone, look for your messages, and there is a feature called continuity and it's a continuity and it's called handoff as well. And so if you look for that feature inside your settings, you are able to turn that on for your iPad and all of your text messages, whether it's an I message or just a standard text will actually show up on your other device. And Mary says, it's time for me to upgrade my iPhone. I was going to do go with the fourteen plus, but I just learned a new fifteen is coming out. Do you know what the differences will be between the fourteen and fifteen? Are they worth holding out for on purchasing until the fifteen comes out? Yes, only because you've got less than a month now. Usually the new iPhones come out end of September. I think you could wait one more month, and at the very least the prices will go down on the old models. But we don't know exactly what's going to happen with the fifteen, but there's definitely gonna be some improvements there, and at the very least, like.
Speaker 2: I said, the old models will be cheaper.
Speaker 1: All right. Coming up later this hour, we're going to talk about ady T and their new alarm system that you can install yourself, plus more of your questions at triple eight rich.
Speaker 2: One on one.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech, Rich DeMuro talking technology with you at triple eight Rich one O one. That's eighty eight eight seven four to four to one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. You can also email. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv hit the contact button there. You can follow me on social media at rich on Tech if you like what you hear. Let's see what else a lot to talk about. Oh, this hour we're gonna talk about Let's see. This is the ad T self setup. So this is a alarm system that you actually install yourself. Diy. I believe it's the first of its kind from ad T. So we're gonna have been shown of nine to five Google join me to talk about his experience with this program. And by the way, producer Adam, I emailed you a question, so you can you know, we're getting a lot of questions from folks, so I believe we're working on the ability to get the producer to be able to chime in. So if Adam, if you can get on your email, I'll have you chime in a little bit. Okay, time, yeah, you chime Okay. Let's see so many emails coming in.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the phones first. Let's go to Paul. Let's go to Paul and Columbus, Ohio. Paul, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 12: Hey, Rich, good luck with the storm too. I hope that doesn't cost too much disaster out there.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that California. You can't deal with rain to begin with, by the way, So if it just exactly yeah, so you've seen the video. I mean, if it's like just regular rain, it's tough out here. So we'll hopefully we'll be okay, but we'll see. We don't know what can I help you with.
Speaker 12: Okay, I'm trying to help a friend. I'm semi techie. She's very non techy. He's got an all computer probably five years old, running Windows ten, and she has issues with the USB ports. There's eight ports all together, a couple in the front, couple and the some in the back, and they'll just stop working. And then so it can plug it into another port and it may or may not work. And then you go back later after turning a computer on and off or whatever, and it can do the same thing. Sometimes it'll work for hours and other times it just quits. And I had to look at the device manager to see if there was anything in there with the triangle or red mark or anything, and nothing showed up there. We cleaned up the computer with a bunch of old files, but I don't know that that would have had any any consequence or to the USD except that it did boot faster. So what might we be looking for?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Have you and so you physically went over there and checked them out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I had not, Okay, I think I think that might be a good first step.
Speaker 2: And you said, this was what type of computer?
Speaker 4: A Dell?
Speaker 12: Okay, that's a small tower.
Speaker 1: And it's about five years old, right, And are all of the us bees on one sort of I guess card on this computer or they in different places?
Speaker 2: Like are some in front, some and back?
Speaker 12: Yeah, there are some in front and someone back, So I'm guessing that it's not the same card, but I'm not positive about it, Okay.
Speaker 1: And has she plugged the peripherals into the front, Like if it do they all stop working? Because that seems really odd that they would all stop working, even the ones that are in different locations.
Speaker 12: That's what I thought too, But like I say, it's it's intermittent. Sometimes the back will work, sometimes the funnel work, and then sometimes none of them are working.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Okay, Well, it sounds like if it's you know, there's two things that could be happening here. It could either be a physical hardware issue or it could be a software issue. And it sounds like you kind of ran her through and got the system cleaned up and sort of figured out with that. Since this is a Dell, Dell does have some I'm just on Dell's support website for this, and you know, they do have some special software on the computer that can help you figure out if it's a you know, actual physical problem or a software problem. And so there's one app called Support Assist, and that can actually help you troubleshoot this as well. So if you're in Windows, type in support Assist and you can run that little computer test to see what's going on.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: In my experience, sometimes these little computer tests could be pretty bad. Like it comes up with either stuff that's just like give me a break, or it may come up with something that's real.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's the first thing I would do. The other thing is, let's see there's another there's another. Okay, let's see. So they have like a list of like ten things to do. Obviously, you checked for physical damage.
Speaker 2: I would do that.
Speaker 1: Check the cable, you know, like, have her plug in something else that is different than what she's been plugging in. Maybe that's it. Okay, now you've got this hard Hardware Diagnostic Tool. Now this one you might need to be there for because it starting up the computer and then pressing F twelve while you are starting the computer to get into the you know, one time boot menu. So once you get into there, you can do the Dell Support Assist. And this is before the computer boots up, so basically none of the software is going to be running, and it can do a little bit of a better diagnostic on the computer without kind of drivers and things getting in the way.
Speaker 2: So that's another thing you could do. Again.
Speaker 1: That's called the Dell Support Assist, and that's when you boot up the system. Otherwise, I mean, you know, I would plug the USB device into a different computer. See if it stops working on that computer. Make sure Windows is up to date. There's a thing that you can refresh the USB controller. Let's see, disconnect all of the devices press Windows.
Speaker 2: Are Oh wow.
Speaker 1: This gets a little little tricky because you gotta you got oh wow. This is like getting into the Universal Serial Bus controllers and the Windows Device Manager. That might be something that you want to go over there, Paul and do yourself. But if you want, you can uninstall the USB host controller and then restart the computer and then reinstall that.
Speaker 2: I don't know that may be that maybe a little bit much.
Speaker 1: If it doesn't work after all that, maybe get someone from Dell to look at it.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like it's still in warranty, so I think, you know, it's one of these things where it's best to be in person. This is one of those issues that could be a million different things. And after you've gone through your standard troubleshooting, which it sounds like you've done, which is why you're calling me, it's it's just.
Speaker 2: Kind of a mystery.
Speaker 1: So I would get some physical help on this computer to see what's going on. Let's go to Brian in Long Beach, California.
Speaker 2: Brian, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Hello, Rich, Hey, good afternoon.
Speaker 13: What I wanted to ask about. I had a broken phone and then I had to get the replace right and I got on replacement phone, use the same number and the new phone. It thinks Google accounts that I haven't used in three years, you know sometime way to say it up and I need to be able to think the Google counts that.
Speaker 8: I have been using for the last two and.
Speaker 4: A half years.
Speaker 1: Could you get me with that, so you've got Okay, So you had a Google account on your old phone, you broke the phone and you got a new phone. Yeah, okay, what kind of phone is this? Android or iPhone?
Speaker 4: Andrew it?
Speaker 2: Okay? And so what happened? Who logged into this new phone for you?
Speaker 13: I called the company and I want they did work through with me?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, it sounds like you so, and you're saying that the account on this phone is an old account that you used to use and you no longer use.
Speaker 13: Three years ago. I never did really use that did establish it though, but you.
Speaker 1: Never really used it, and you want to go back to the other account.
Speaker 4: Okay, I want.
Speaker 13: I wanted to count that I've been using for the last two years, got it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So, uh in Google, if you go on your new phone, okay, now do you have the Do you have the information for this account that you want to use?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 13: Okay? And that then I run into the problem with the second authentication, that's the phone number have to use. I do have a password and I do have a screen name. But but some kind of way when the count was stayed up, I stayed up with a second authentication, but I no longer have that phone two years ago. And the second authentication is phone number of verification.
Speaker 2: And you don't have the phone.
Speaker 1: You don't so it's trying to send a two factor authentication to a device that you no longer have or a phone number you don't have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, So what you need to do is go through Google.
Speaker 1: Account recovery and this may take some time because they're gonna have to verify you. So uh if you go, let's see here, So you've got to go. Gosh, you're gonna have some trouble with this, but you're it's it's gonna take some time.
Speaker 2: But basically you want to go.
Speaker 1: Uh, there's a link if you Google recover Google account, uh, and it will bring you to a help page on Google Support dot Google dot com.
Speaker 2: And I would give.
Speaker 1: You, uh the the web address is accounts dot Google dot com slash sign in slash recovery.
Speaker 2: Okay have you done this before? Have you done? Have you tried this yet? Okay?
Speaker 13: Count the web page and I learned information about the second authentications, but uh, when it told me, when it told me to go there, UH didn't ask me for password to get into the sign athentication where I could change.
Speaker 1: It, right, Okay, do you have do you Okay? So basically you have to do what's called an account recovery. You have to go to this account recovery page.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is not the standard sign in page that Google has. So the standard signing page is just going to say, hey, we need you to do this, and then it's going to say forget your password or you can't access it, and it's going to take you through some steps. This is a special place built just to get you to recover your account. So you go to this accounts dot Google dot com slash sign in, slash recovery, and you want to answer as many of the questions as you can.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: What you want to do is use a computer or a tablet where you might have signed in before it sounds like you can't do that, or a browser that you've signed in, or a location where you've previously signed in. What Google's looking for are clues that this is actually.
Speaker 2: You trying to do this.
Speaker 1: It may ask you for an old password, it may ask you for security questions, it may ask you to put in an email address that you've used. But that's what you want to do, and you want to answer as many of those questions as possible, and that's going to kick you through the process and hopefully recover this account. That is the best chance you have at getting this account back. The bigger advice I have if you're listening and are trying to, you know, get into your old accounts is you have to. There's things called a backup one time codes, and so when you set up two factor authentication on any account, they give you a list of like ten different unique codes that can always be used to access your account in the future. Keep those verification codes safe because those will work no matter what, even if you don't have access to your device, even if you don't have access to your email, those will always work because the idea is that only you have those. But Google does have a process for this, Brian, It's going to take a little bit of time, but again you got to go to that website to help figure it out. Accounts dot Google, dot Com, slash sign in, slash recovery. Make sure you are trying to do this from a place that you have signed in or a Wi Fi network that you have signed in before from and hopefully you should be able to get that two factor I like that you enabled the two factor authentication, but the fact that you can't sign in definitely is a problem. And by the way, on your Android phone, once you get this information figured out out, you can go into the settings. You tap Google and then you tap your account. It says manage your Google account or sorry, it says your your name. You tap your name and it says add another account, and you can tap that to add a secondary account to your phone. Once you add that secondary account to your Google phone, you can go back and delete the old account. Good question, Brian. Hopefully you get logged back in. Please keep me up to date on if that happens. Coming up more of your calls at Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. I'm gonna tell you which music service is raising prices?
Speaker 2: Coming up right here.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out talking technology with you at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Email is at rich on tech dot tv. Hit the contact button and a lot of you like to email. So we've got producer Adam with one of the questions that you've emailed in Adam.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Rich, I got a question here from Michael. Michael. He says, I have a question regarding Wi Fi. What is the best way to get Wi Fi for my mother who is a senior at her residence. Besides the cable companies? Are there any government programs? So, Rich, how are you going to help Michael out with that good question?
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: So okay, okay, I thought he said she was at a senior residence, but it's just at her residence, so that okay. I mean, look, you don't have to necessarily go through the cable companies. That's kind of the traditional way. But there are some companies that are now offering wireless internet and this is all because of the new five G networks, even though they're offering them on a combination of five G and LTE. So one of them is team O Home Internet and this is put out by T Mobile. So you've heard of T Mobile, the wireless company. They have a box that you can install in your house. And when I say install, really that just means you literally plug this in to the wall and it pulls in a cellular signal. So it pulls Internet from the sky from the cellular system, and then it re sends it out as Wi Fi. So imagine it's basically the same box you've had for years underneath your TV, except there's no cable going into it from the ground.
Speaker 2: It's just wireless.
Speaker 1: It's pulling a cellular signal and then rebroadcasting that as Wi Fi. And this is best if you have a solid five G signal at your mom's house. And it's very inexpensive if you're doing auto pay. Wow, they just raise the price. You used to be twenty five Now it's thirty bucks a month. So you can check availability. If you go to t Mobile Home Internet, you can check availability there. I've not tested this one because it wasn't available at my home, but Verizon also has one, so Verizon Home Internet and this is five G now, their plans start at twenty five dollars a month.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's if you have.
Speaker 1: Verizon for your cellular signal, but that is the same thing, except it's through Verizon. I did test this, and I tried this box out. It's very easy to plug it in. It puts out the Wi Fi signal and it's pretty good. So again, Verizon Home Internet and T Mobile Home Internet. Don't think AT and T has jumped on that yet. Now the second part of your question, are there any government programs with these two services? You could check out something called the Affordable Connectivity Program. This is an FCC benefit program. It gives a discount of up to thirty dollars a month towards Internet service for eligible households. What's an eligible household? Well, they have to be two hundred percent or below federal povert guidelines. There's also a bunch of criteria. Two of them are if they are on SNAP or Medicaid. So I'm not sure if mom qualifies for that, But Michael, those are a couple of things to look into and you can see if those work real quick before we go to break here. Amazon Music Unlimited the latest to raise prices. Prime members are now going to be paying ten dollars a month instead of nine. The family plan goes up from sixteen to seventeen dollars a month, and the annual prices where you can really save some money, those also went up as well. If you're a new customer, you're going to be paying the higher price. Now existing customers you'll probably see this on your next bill that will start on September nineteenth. So don't be surprised if your Amazon Music Unlimited subscription price goes up. All of these streaming services have been raising prices. I know Amazon really wants it to hold out, but pretty much at this point, every streaming service has raised prices in the past two years. All right, more of your calls coming up now at triple eight Rich one oh one.
Speaker 2: But first we're going to talk to Ben Shown of nine to five Google about.
Speaker 1: ADT self Set Up Security system.
Speaker 2: You are listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you. On the line is Ben Shown, senior editor at nine to five Google. Ben, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's talk about your review of the ADT self set Up Security System. This is a departure from ADT, which we typically think of as having really super long contracts, professional installation. What is this system all about?
Speaker 15: Yeah, so self setup is what the name implies. You get the delivery to your house comes in a box. You can set everything up through an app. You can put it all in yourself honestly, it doesn't take that long. If you just have a few sensors and stuff, it might take half an hour. It's just a quick and easy setup, and really it's like a do it yourself kind of approach.
Speaker 1: And this is competing against something like Ring, but it also replaces what Google used to have for their own Nest Secure.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so it's similar to Rings simply save all of those But in terms of what Google had, they had something called Nest Secure.
Speaker 7: It launched several years ago.
Speaker 15: It was a standalone security system that was kind of designed to self monitor, so you could do everything yourself. It didn't have to be monitored by somebody, but you could get monitoring for monthly fee. Google discontinued it after a few years of not really doing anything with it, and just I think next year it's going to shut down. It won't be accessible through.
Speaker 7: The app anymore.
Speaker 15: It really won't be working anymore, which is a shame, and it kind of left a lot of people out to dry. But Google gave out discounts with ADT because they are heavily invested in this system.
Speaker 7: With ADT, it's a.
Speaker 15: Tightly integrated system and the point is for it to be a replacement because Google is not making their own.
Speaker 1: Explain the hardware is this hardware ADT hardware, is it Google hardware? Is it a combination? And what types of sensors and cameras can you get with the system.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so it is a combination of the two. The security hardware is primarily ADT. You have a hub from ADT that is the center of every setup, and then you have sensors which can be door and windows sensors, motion sensors. I think they have a fire alarm, but they also have just a bunch of different security and smart home sensors. Those are all made by ADT and they're all controlled by ADT's app. The Google side of it is your cameras, your doorbell, all of that will be provided by Google and everything comes together in Adyt's app. But you also of course have Google stuff in Google's app. But yeah, the two integrate together. And the big appeal really of that is that we if the ADT side of it, you can have your cameras from Google monitored by ADT professionals. So you sign up through ADT and then you get the ability for ADT people to keep an eye on your cameras use them for verification. If the system goes off, they will look at your feed and they will be able to say, oh, is this a false alarm? Oh do we need to send the police, Oh do we need to send fire.
Speaker 1: So there's an element of professional monitoring here in addition to the kind of app alerts and things exactly.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you have the option to do it completely on your own for no costs. But if you want monitoring, you can pay twenty five dollars for ADT's monitoring just of alarms, and then you can pay an extra fee on top of that, depending on how much storage you want for them to.
Speaker 7: Be able to tap into your Google feed.
Speaker 1: And if you didn't want ADT, if you just wanted to self host this sort of say, can you do this without paying anything month?
Speaker 15: Yeah, So if you want to use it completely on your own, kind of like Nest Secure was, you can use it like that. You'll end up getting monitoring for like the first month or so as a free trial, but after that you don't have to pay anything. You just pay for the cost of the hardware, which depends on the package you buy.
Speaker 1: So how was it to install this yourself?
Speaker 15: It was really easy. It takes, you know, like I said, about a half an hour or so. It's all really well put through the app. You'll set up the hub wherever you want it, and then you'll set up each sensor. And the cool thing especially is they will when you buy the system. When it comes you sign into your account, it will show everything you bought already in the app.
Speaker 7: You just have to pair it.
Speaker 1: So why do you think Google is doing this? Why do you think they're partnering with ADT? I mean it's a pretty big company. Obviously, I get the name recognition, but it seems like when I think of ADT, I think of big, long contract, very expensive. Maybe they come to your house to install it, which is nice. I mean professional installation always nice. But this is kind of like a one to eighty from everything they've done in the past.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's kind of a benefit for everybody.
Speaker 15: I think ADT realizes that a lot of people don't want those long contracts, they don't want professional installation and you know, really expensive hardware. They sometimes they just want to know when their door has been tripped or something like that, and this makes that way more affordable and way easier to do uh. And I think Google's benefit for it is it puts Nest hardware in front of a lot more people because ADT, like you said, is a really recognizable brand and has a lot of people already in it's ecosystem.
Speaker 1: What about the track record of Google? We always speak about this. You know, Google has a history of you know, coming out with the product, supporting it for a while, and then kind of moving on or changing gears. Do you see that happening with this.
Speaker 7: That is a totally valid concern.
Speaker 15: I think the things that make it a.
Speaker 7: Little easier to trust in is won the eighty T name.
Speaker 15: Because ADT supports their products for years and years and years. You can replace things over time. And also Google actually does have a really good track record with supporting most Nest products. For instance, the nestcam that was released back in twenty fifteen, like a long time ago at this point, is still working. It's still getting updates today, and it actually will be poorted pretty soon into the Google Home app, so it'll work the same way as the modern mess cameras.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at some of the pricing on the ADT website, and if you start the kind of the cheapest package starts about one hundred and seventy five dollars with monitoring at twenty five. Then you've got this starter package which is four hundred and eight dollars plus thirty five dollars a month for monitoring, which I'm guessing that's the camera, and then a premium package for about five hundred dollars and that includes things like motion sensors, door and windows sensors, a Google Nest Hub, a Google Nest doorbell, a yard sign. Are people kind of comfortable with this idea of the DIY security system?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I think for some people doing it professionally will matter, will be important because you know it's securing your home, so it is an important thing. I think the appeal of this, like I said, is you know you're not signing a contract. It's something you can do yourself, which you know a lot of people are looking for that, and it's and it's just more affordable because you can do all of this really at a discount, Like you can create your setup the way you want it because the packages, yes start at you know, one hundred and seventy dollars, but you can choose exactly how many censors you want exactly how many the yard sign the stickers.
Speaker 7: All of that. It is completely up to you and you can customize it however you want.
Speaker 1: So for the money, who do you like best? Do you like ring? Do you like what Google's doing with ADT or simply Safe or is there another solution out there that you think is best.
Speaker 15: Actually I have trouble coming up with the idea of some ideal DIY security system.
Speaker 7: I don't think there is anything that's ideal.
Speaker 15: I really do like ADP is set up, though, because you have the option to just use it on its own. I was using a simply Safe system for a while, and really a lot of the good features are locked behind the subscription. But with this system for ADT, the only thing that you're paying for that monthly subscription is the monitoring. Everything else, the automations and the app to tie in with Google Nest, everything is still working even if you don't pay for it.
Speaker 1: Any other things that you found in the course of your review that you want to mention that you think people should know about, I think.
Speaker 15: The only thing you should know about is that the hub the keypad is not the most user friendly interface in the world.
Speaker 7: So it's going to be a little tricky when you have a guest come over.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, that's actually one of the few times that my alarm system was tripped, was a house guest and they weren't able to turn off the alarm quickly enough. It wasn't this system, but I guess it can happen with any of them. So if you're not too familiar with that process, All right, Ben, how can folks find you online?
Speaker 7: Oh? You can find me every day at nine to five Google dot com.
Speaker 15: And I'm also on Twitter, threads, Instagram, everything else at Nexus.
Speaker 1: Ben ben Shone, Senior editor at nine to five Google. Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me more rich.
Speaker 1: On Tech head in your way. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. It's triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two or one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you. What a great show it's been so far, but there's still more.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So there is a feature on my website richon Tech dot tv where you are able to leave me a voicemail. And uh, you've done that, so Adam, can we play one of these voicemails.
Speaker 16: What is a good free computer cleaner?
Speaker 2: Oh, good question. A couple of them.
Speaker 1: This was actually emailed to me several years ago by someone who does this on a daily basis, cleans out computers. And these are the programs that they recommended that I should recommend. So one of them is called C Cleaner, and this is they say the world's most popular PC cleaner.
Speaker 2: And there's a free version.
Speaker 1: Obviously there's a it's a freemium model, like everything works on a freemium model. You can get it for free, but of course they would like you to pay to get more features. But the free version will do the basics and try to get some of these things off your computer and cleaned up. So C Cleaner is number one. Then you've got this product called super Anti Spyware dot Com and that's if you've got some spyware on your computer, you can check to see if you've got things is going on there. And so again that's super Antispyware dot Com. And finally from malware bytes, they've got ADW Cleaner. I believe this was its own program, but malware bytes purchase them, and malware Bytes I also recommend for kind of a cleaning program too. They've got their you know, if you just download malware bytes, that's kind of the same as super anti spyware. So those are three good things to get you started that should help you clean up your computer. The other thing you can do just on your own is go into your list of programs and uninstall any program that you don't recognize or use anymore. Restart your computer after that same thing goes for your extensions on Chrome. If you look at your Chrome toolbar on your web browser or Edge, there should be a little puzzle piece. You tap that it's extensions, scroll down to where it says manage extensions and remove the ones that you no longer use, know or recognize. Good questions for leaving the voicemail? Do we have another one?
Speaker 16: Adam looking for a website to cancel background noises to hear a conversation in a video.
Speaker 1: I love how meta this question is because there are background conversations in his.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: So was that a joke? I don't think so, that's I love that, Okay. I will tell you this is the best kept secret in the world, and you're gonna love this. It's called Is there even a name? For this thing I don't even know. It's called Adobe Adobe Enhance and it's a free tool. It removes noise from voice recordings with speech enhancement. And I'm not kidding. This thing is absolutely fantastic. You can upload audio files. You get one hour a day duration, five hundred megabytes maximum size and three hours total daily limit. You drag and drop and it will work its magic. It uses AI or whatever it does, and it is quite incredible to find it. You go to podcast dot Adobe dot com slash enhance and you can find it there and.
Speaker 2: It is just quite incredible.
Speaker 1: So that will remove the background information and it works really really well. All right, I've got a couple more questions. Did I email you another question?
Speaker 7: Or no?
Speaker 2: I don't think I did? Did I you did?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hear another. We get so many questions via email, Adam, go ahead.
Speaker 14: We have an email here from Jacqueline.
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 14: Jacqueline? Jacqueline says, is there a safe way to get all my years of photos safely off of my phone and iPad? I enjoy your TV tips. Thanks so rich. Jacqueline has to destroy some evidence, I guess can you help her?
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just got a new gadget, so this is a this is a very This might be the all time most popular question I've ever gotten in my history of reporting on technology.
Speaker 2: So basically, you see these ads.
Speaker 1: On late night TV and on the web for these little USB drives you can plug into your phone. I don't like any of those except for a couple. PNY just came out with a new one. You might recognize PNY. They make a lot of great memory type products. This is called the Duo link iOS USB three point two dual flash drive. Say that three times fast. It comes in sixty four one or two hundred and fifty six gigabyte variants, and you plug this into the bottom of your phone and you can transfer your photos from your phone to this drive. So on one side of this drive is a little lightning port, which is what goes into the bottom of the iPhone currently that's set to switch with the iPhone fifteen to USBC. And then the other side plugs into your computer, so you can basically free up the space or back up your photos by play lugging this into.
Speaker 2: Your iPhone.
Speaker 1: Now, remember I do like you to have your photos in several places, so don't just put it on this drive and have that as your only place. You should also back these up to the cloud. If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can use Amazon Photos for free unlimited to upload.
Speaker 2: As long as you keep paying for Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: Again, that's called the duo link iOS USB three point two dual flash drive. That's what I'd recommend to get those off your phone. Sand Disc also makes something similar. I'll put this all on my website at richontech dot TV. All right, let's get to the feedback. Now, these are things that you have emailed me.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Aaron says, thank you for mentioning about the computer and malware advertisement scam for tech support. As I mentioned two weeks ago, this happened to me. Thank you for your advice on helping me fix the problem. Aaron, That's why I mentioned this stuff because you never know when it's going to happen to me. Page says, I'm glad you decided to answer the email about how to load a file onto a flash drive. Please don't assume everyone's a techie. Sometimes your answers to people get too technical when the person just needs the basics. Oh wow, Okay, that was like a kind of like a nice like a compliment, but also like a don't do that again. I listen every week. I'm glad you took over the show. Thanks Page, Thank you Paige for the reminder. No not everyone's a techee. I definitely agree with that. Let's see. Jim says, hey, Rich, you can also turn off Bluetooth completely by asking Siri to turn off Bluetooth. That's the same as going into settings and turning it off.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jim.
Speaker 1: I would have to test that, but yes, if it turns it off in the settings, that would be great. That's one way to do it for sure. You can also ask Siri to restart your phone. That's very handy. Angela's commenting on the California driver's license. She says, I would like it if I could put it in my phone. The less stuff in my physical wallet, the better. One hundred percent agree, Angela. I can't wait to have everything digital. I literally carry no keys. I will tell you that it's amazing. So the only thing I carry that's that's physical is a little bit of cash sometimes, you know, don't just sometimes like a dollar, a credit card and a debit card and then my driver's license, and Jim says, outstanding show today. Thank you, Be safe and stay dry during the hurricane. We'll leave it there. If you can believe it. That's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on tech dot tv. This is show number thirty three. Next week we're going to talk to a security expert about the most important things you should know about AI and hacking. Plus we'll get an update on where we are with evs and the progress we're making on batteries. My name is Rich Dmiro. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this possible, including producer Adam there in the booth today. My name is Rich DeMuro. I will talk to you real soon. Please stay safe out there. Thanks for listening.