Speaker 1: Welcome to zero. I am Akshatarati. This week climate Action under Trump. It's week two at COP twenty nine in Baku. The negotiations are heating up. Much of the fight is about money, but countries like Saudi Arabia are also opening up old fights about fossil fuels. How does this all go down? We'll bring you more about whether there's a deal on climate finance or not next week. Till then, I thought I'll share two conversations I had about climate action over the next four years as Donald Trump retakes the White House. The first one is with Ali Zaidi, who is currently the climates are under President Joe Biden. I talked to Ali on stage at the Bloomberg Green event here in Baku about what exactly endures inside the US on climate action and can anyone pick up the slack that's left behind when the federal government stops acting. The second one is with Jonathan Pushing, who's the head of the Environment program at the Hewlett Foundation and a veteran US diplomat on all things climate. He says that the world is a lot more prepared for a Trump presidency this time, and there's also a lot more momentum on climate action. That means both Ali and Jonathan agree that things are likely to slow down rather than reverse under Donald Trump. That's not to say it's good news, but it does create opportunities for other countries to step into the void and take on a leadership role. Welcome to Bloombergreen, and welcome back to the Zero podcast.
Speaker 2: Fantastic view with you.
Speaker 1: Now. Last time we talked about two years ago, India and Pakistan were going at it at the World Cup and you were celebrating the US having passed the largest climate legislation ever passed. Now there's good news and bad news. The good news is India has actually won a World Cup since.
Speaker 2: Then, but who's keeping score right?
Speaker 1: And Pakistan well has had a few climate impacts. And the other bad news is well Trump is coming to power and we don't know whether the largest climate bill that the bide An administration was able to pass will be able to get all the money, all the incentives that it has out the door. How worried are you?
Speaker 2: I am less worried than you might think I am because in the architecture of our climate strategy, we anticipated a handoff to the private sector to carry us the distance. I think of the Inflation Reduction Act, the Bipersion Infrastructure Law as the booster packs on a rocket, but the rocket is the private sector. And I think what we will see next year and the years after is that during this period of time we were able to achieve escape velocity in the United States on critical areas decarbonization. I am worried about parts of the inflection point, which to me feel very fragile. One of them is our ability to sustain the manufacturing renaissance that's taken off in the United States. We know that federal policy is so critical to incubating that industrial capacity build out in a couple of key areas. I think we might fall back if policy is reversed course.
Speaker 1: So the Trump administration is promising to cut taxes, and that means it's going to have to try and find money from places. I know that there is a lot of money from the Inflation Reduction Act that's going to go to Republican states that might stick around. But there are certain types of incentives that might actually be cut immediately or maybe phase down sooner than planned. A couple of them that come to mind, electric vehicle tax credits, might go altogether. The clean Electricity tax credit might be phased down early. Do you think those two sectors have met this rocket escapablocity that you hope?
Speaker 2: Well, Look, I think that the American people are very focused and rightfully so, on pocketbook issues, including the cost of energy. Those electricity tax credits are tax cuts that flow through to utility pairs who now see lower energy bills. You can literally go to utilities around the country where they will tell you how much the price of electricity came down and how much families are benefiting because of investments from the Inflation Reduction Act. So I think it would be problematic not from just a climate perspective, but from a retail economics perspective if there were to be a reversal on that. On your point about is it easy to undo this, Look, nine out of every ten dollars from the grant side of our investment agenda is in some form or fashion already into the economy. Most of the tax credits twenty one out of twenty four have some guidance associated with them and are moving forward. And you know, I believe and I think this is manifest in the politics in Washington that we have grown the political consensus around the Inflation Reduction Act through its execution, which evidence point one is the letter from House Republicans to their own leader saying, hey, let's stop trying to repeal something that would unplug a bunch of jobs and economic opportunity in our districts.
Speaker 1: Well, ideology has never been more powerful in American politics than it is, perhaps now, or at least in recent history. Perhaps it is now. We are studying to see some of the Trump administration's appointees, and what we are noticing is that there are a lot of loyalists being put and so there are wild cards that could be coming your way. Aren't you worried about those?
Speaker 2: Look, if you work on climate change, you're always counting on there being wild cards. But I think there's a real robustness in the system. The first part we talked about already, and that's the private sector and the role it's going to play in. I think continuing to pull the policy a certainty along. They have made a trillion dollars worth of investment bets predicated on a policy regime. They're not going to want to see the rug pulled out from.
Speaker 1: All we had the egg on mobile CEO yesterday telling us that the US should not pull out of the Paris Agreement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's not your most obvious ally in this fight, but not only calling for staying in Paris but also calling to keep intact the incentives that have been put in place. So I think there's that piece of it. I think the robustness also comes from state policy. You've got more than half of the states that have democratic leadership and very much engaged in advancing clean energy. But that actually ignores the fact that you have a bunch more Republican governors whose entire economic theory rests on investments from the Inflation Reduction Act. You go to a place like Oklahoma, Governor sit an amazing leader in attracting private investment to a state. Most of that private investment is clean energy. Governor Kemp in Georgia, most of that investment clean energy. Go to South Carolina Governor McMaster, most of that new investment clean energy. So if you want to see the politics of this, you look at the house where they've written to their leader. You look at the private sector where they put the bet on clean energy future. You look at the states where they're running towards clean energy. This is actually a much more robust system with a lot more momentum behind it than we had in twenty seventeen. So I hear you on the risk factors, but I'm focused on the incredible momentum and I think that's where I put my stock.
Speaker 1: Now, let's look at the international front. We are here at COP twenty nine. Negotiators are going to have to battle out something that is perhaps going to be the hardest thing that many experts are saying since the Paras Agreement, because it's all about money, and especially rich countries, especially the US does not like to talk about money as much when it comes to hundreds of billions of dollars that need to be given to developing countries. Before we get into the details, the first thing that's going to happen is that Donald Trump says he's going to pull the US out of the Paris Agreement. Again, let's see if he listens to the exit mobile CEO. But if he doesn't, that means the US is not party to negotiations within one year of him making that decision, and that creates a credibility gap right now in these really difficult negotiations are the other negotiators taking you and your colleagues seriously.
Speaker 2: I think the US has built up quite a bit of credibility over the last four years, including an announcement I made today about three billion dollar target that the President had set in twenty twenty one to mobilize adaptation finance into the developing world, the Prepare initiative. We actually met that goal a year early, and we'll meet it again next year. But you know, I would be sugarcoating it if I suggested that US leadership going into next year from the federal government has a bright and positive halo around it. In global climate conversations, I think people hear what has been said, they read what has been written, and they largely believe it. And as a result, that I think diminishes the US federal position as the rules are being written on the clean energy economy of the future. That comes to the detriment of US businesses and US workers. So I think that's a problem if we don't sort of see this through in terms of the conversation that's happening right now. It's all about bringing more countries in around an ambitious target for twenty thirty five. It's quite a way a way, I think the bigger that coalition is and the boulder that ambition is, the more likely, If that might be counterintuitive, but the more likely we are to pull through on the other side and deliver the resources that are necessary to lift up the entire world in adapting to these challenges.
Speaker 1: Why is that? Why do you think a bigger target will make it easier given the US is likely to leave.
Speaker 2: I think if it is a target that is fit to purpose, that actually meets the moment, there will be more of a pull to get it done. If it's, you know, an anemic target, I think that makes it less exciting for people to really put their weight behind it. And I think the broader the coalition, the more likely it is that, you know, when one country falls back, the others pick up the slack, and so on so forth we pull each other through in the end.
Speaker 1: One reason why the Inflation Reduction Act has some more teeth than would have been otherwise is because there was a recognition from the Republican side that China is eating the US lunch when it comes to green technologies. This next four years are likely going to grow that gap. Even with the Inflation Reduction Act staying as it is, as you would hope it stays. What happens when you come back, say in twenty twenty eight, Democratic president back in power, and the gap between the US and China is bigger when it comes to green technologies. How do you catch.
Speaker 2: Up if four years from now we have fallen further behind China. I think that's economic malpractice at the federal policy level. I think the science is not unsettled on climate change, and yet folks articulate it as a matter of belief. But even if you set that aside, the economics are clear. These are technologies invented in the United States. When we invest in their manufacturing capability and deploy them domestically, there is unambiguous economic upside and energy security upside. It would be economic malpractice to put us back in the position we were four years ago, where we're in a massive deficit in the leadership of these technologies. So I understand your question, which is what happens if that deficit exists? So if we come out of the ditch. So I'm actually rooting for how root for anybody who puts America's economic interests first? And I'm going to root for the next Congress, the next administration, finding a way, whether it's motivated by climate or not, to invest in our industrial strength and invest in our energy security, and invest in our ability to make the technologies that we pioneered in the United States, make them cheaper, make them better, and help them translate into jobs and economic opportunity.
Speaker 1: So far, what the Trump administration has said is there's going to be an Energi czar in the White House, not a climates are So what happens after January taking part and becoming part of the resistance which was created after the system administration.
Speaker 2: Well, the good news is I won't get shown up by the next climates are No. I look, I'm I am eager to be part of civil society and to root for the success of a country I love, and to find a way to plug into the imperative of our times, which is that we rise to meet the moment on climate change. Whether or not Joe Biden is his office or Donald Trump is in office, or whomever we are in the decisive decade for climate action. Climate action is not on pause over the next four years. It's on all of us to figure out how we accelerate progress at home and abroad on that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Elie, thank you. After the break, I talked to a veteran American climate diplomat, Jonathan Pushing, about how global diplomacy changes once Trump becomes US president. Again. By the way, if you've been enjoying this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. It helps other listeners find the show. Jonathan, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Glad to be here. Now.
Speaker 1: These are not idle circumstances for you to be talking about the US. We expect Donald Trump to pull out of the PRAUS Agreement. We don't know, of course, there are things that are unpredictable in a Trump residency, but assume that happens, how do you think the world reacts, and what have we learned from the first time this happened that could be applied today.
Speaker 3: So thanks very much. I think that there are a number of pieces in the way we should look at the questions you're asking, and I think they're the right questions to ask. The first one is I do assume, as you have suggested, that he intends to withdraw from Paris. I think the open question is whether he also withdraws from the convention, and we don't really know. He didn't do it the first time. There's some indication that he intends to do it now, but we don't know. Let's assume for the moment that he doesn't. In that sense, the US continues to be part of the conversation. They have an observer's seat in the back of the room because they're not a party to Paris any longer, but because they're in the convention, they still have a role. They have a perhaps small, but a delegation that continues to come. That would be consistent with some of the requests to the administration from some of industry, which believes that the global rules are ones the US should be involved in negotiating, and those standards will matter to them as they do global business. A second possibility he actually withdraws from the entire process. I think the thing that countries have learned is two from the Morocco experience. Marrakesh was the last time he was elected. He then withdrew and we had that four year period. The first thing that they've learned is that the US being out slows things down, but it doesn't stop them, and the US is a smaller share of the globe total today than it was in twenty sixteen, give or take some it's just over ten or eleven percent of the world total. That's a much smaller share, and the world can move on with the ninety percent of the global community that is still engaged. The second thing which they learned is that notwithstanding in the administration the executive branch withdrawal, the US continued to act in many ways. Inertia is a remarkable thing, and policies are hard to overturn once they've been set. So policies, for example, like the Inflation Reduction Act or the Infrastructure Law or the Energy Bill, those are likely to go for some period of time, and the incentives that they set are likely to continue. There's also some indication that the states and localities will continue to do the work that they have done. So while there may be a slowing in the US frame, there is continuity in the sense of more action, but it will not be as aggressive as required to solve the climate crisis, and the kind of ambition which the last four years of the Biden team has brought will be missing, and some of the pressure that the US can bring to bear in the global community will be absent, and it is not clear today that there is another country, or even necessarily a group of countries that can pick that up.
Speaker 1: All right, There are two things that are different this time around in a Trump presidency than last time. Last time there was a delay baked in. The US left out a very long time, and by that time Joe Biden was elected, and so the US came back, but no other country as a result of the US exit followed through. This time, there's already noises being made. Papua New Guinea did not send diplomats to COP twenty nine. Argentina took their diplomats back, and we understand Mila is thinking about taking Argentina out of Paris. Do you think this time around the risk of other countries leaving is higher or lower?
Speaker 3: And why? I think it's probably about the same. I think that we're not likely to see many countries withdraw The agreement is not, in some sense a particularly onerous one. It leaves to each country the choice of what it will do, and in some ways that flexibility means that a country could decide to take up modest level of reductions commitments and still be eligible for the financial aid that comes with it, still be eligible to be part of a dialogue on technology, part of a dialogue on trade. So there's actually a lot of incentive to be in and only marginal incentive to be out. I think the second question, though, is what's different this time? He's going to be pushing an oil and gas vision of the world. He has said so in his campaign. He's not particularly supportive of renewable transition. But this time, unlike the last time, the prices for those alternatives are fundamentally competitive, and that to me is a fundamentally different outcome. So a country like China is very happy to engage in the global dialogue and say, well, the US isn't available for funding these new transitions, but we are. We're in, we have a ready checkbook, we have an experience of a transition at home. We are prepared to engage with you as you make the transition. So now the question becomes what will the Donald Trump administration offer as an alternative. Will it offer low cost gas? Yes? But will that low cost gas come with a dependency on the United States? Yes? And how reliable will that be over a longer term when you build out gas infrastructure. One of the advantages of renewable energy is that once you've built it, this supply, the energy itself is domestic. It doesn't come from a tradable permit, it doesn't come from some kind of a commodity. It comes because you have wind or sun or geothermal capacity. So in that sense, there's an enormous value in the security of your energy resource not to be reliant on a global gas market or on one player like the United States. I think where we were four or eight years ago was much higher prices and therefore a very different competitive market.
Speaker 1: The other thing that the US is likely to do before a formal exit happens under Trump, if it happens, is to submit what is known as the Nationally Determined Contribution, a target that the US will be setting for twenty thirty five. Because the US is still party to the agreement and all other countries are set to submit this before February of twenty twenty five, how much do other negotiators other countries take those goals and the US credibility behind it. Given Trump might leave and as you talked about, may slow down progress that is somewhat baked in, but because it won't be as fast as we need it. Those goals are likely to be much further out than what is reality.
Speaker 3: I think that's an accurate characterization. I think this submission of a US NDC or a US commitment has a couple of particular attributes. They'll do it before the end of this term, which means to me that they're very likely to be able to say, if we were staying in this is the kind of trajectory we'd be on. And by extension, this is a credible pathway for others. This is a pathway that we think we could meet with policy, with technology development, with engagement globally, with supply chains, and that represents almost a baseline that the rest of the world can look at to assess their own progress. That's the upside of doing it. That means that there's some vision of what you might want to try for. On the other hand, there will clearly be a walking back. There will be a sense wele the US wanted to do that, but it won't. The Trump administration won't. So should we in our country follow a good and desirable path or one that might be easier with less burden, less potential upfront cost and how to think about that. I think it'll be in the middle. I think the existence of a credible pathway will have an impact. I think the absence of the US to push that will also have an impact.
Speaker 1: The reason cops exist and work is because we have a global problem that requires all countries to come together and discuss how do we address it. But I think there has been philosophically a thought that given climate change in climate science has been now well understood and impacts are being felt, the desire for countries to work together will actually grow because this catastrophe is here today, but it doesn't feel like that's happening. Are we actually moving away from a cooperative world trying to address climate change to a competitive world trying to address climate change? A competitive world that has existed in every other fora for as long as two hundred countries have existed on this planet. And is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Speaker 3: I think we should be clear about the role which the convention and the process plays well and the role which it could never really deliver. It is very good at goal setting. It has set a goal for us for all countries to act domestically. It is set a goal for us for those domestic actions to be enshrined in regulation or in law. It is set a goal for temperature increase well below two and striving for one point five. It has set a goal for collective efforts on finance. But it is not, nor I don't think was it ever expected to be an implementing body. This is not where you go to write the rules of a public utility commission that's working in the state of Iowa. This is where you go to say, is that aligned with a collective effort? And it is also very good at reviewing the actions of the countries and seeing if they align or not. So to me, the question is not so much will that continued need for both setting goals and for reviewing progress. Will that continue? Yes, with or without the United States. On the other hand, do we need other institutions and mechanisms to facilitate implementation. Absolutely, and those are going to be taken up by sector. So in some cases, for example, will the steal producers of the world figure out how to do a better job at low carbon steel and will that information move around? Yes? Will they compete with each other, of course they will. Will they compete against a low carbon future. Yes, because global demand is going to drive that forward. Do you need a singular agreement where all countries agree on exactly how they would do that. No, that's where the market can play, I think its most effective role, where competition around price and the delivery of these attributes of zero carbon become significant. So I think the agreement and the next steps around the agreement play out both collectively in the effort of setting the goal and evaluating progress, and individually and in the competition that each country and within each country companies have to find solutions that work.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to ask you a finance question now, because this is the cop at which a big finance goal has to be agreed on. Now, whatever the goal might be, and whether we get a deal or not, we can look back at the funds that do exist and recognize maybe the partial success or really a failure of those funds. There's the Green Climate Fund, There's the Global Environment Facility, there is now the Global Shield that has been created. Just the sheer number of funds and the number of steps you need to take to get the money out of them makes it really difficult for that money to actually do the work that needs to be done even if the money exists. Why is the finance problem so complicated and why does the structure require all these international funds and multiple of them that are being I think.
Speaker 3: The underlying issue is broken down into those countries that have access to commercial capital, those countries that have access but at high rates, and those countries that really don't have access. And in fact, if we look at the funds, the majority of the actual resources are going to the upper middle income countries. They're not going to the bottom of the pyramid. And so in some sense, that community, which is more than one hundred countries, come back to the process every time and saying it's not working. But supposing you think about it a slightly different way, and the question now is is their reform in the various financial institutions that are trying to change the way they provide for risk and to offset the risk in the market. Now I have some real indications of progress. Some of the adjustments being made in the World Bank, for example, are increasingly not looking at project finance which goes to an upper middle income country, but looking at why is there so much risk? And can I reduce the risk so now that country could borrow from the market and the rates would be more competitive. This, of course is why you have other connected problems. The debt burden of countries makes this more difficult, and the questions of the number of different demands on resources are also more difficult. But I would submit that at the end of the day, the problem here is not will there be government to government transfers of funds, but there will be a de risking of private capital, and the combination of the reduction in price of what we are trying to do, plus some risk adjustment and risk management will fundamentally alter the investment trajectory. And we're already starting to see that, and it's moving down the development chain, which is to suggest that over time, the money that will have to provide from one government or from a group of governments to other governments will pay for a smaller share of the total, and the market investment will increasingly pay for the large share of the transition.
Speaker 1: This idea is usually referred to as blended finance, and blended finance itself is not new, but working at sort of billion dollar scale is quite new. It's only really in the last ten years that that's worked. If you were to look at success stories. What comes to mind as things that people should look at and may not be a perfect analogy, but ways in which blended finance can really unlock capital at scale.
Speaker 3: So I think it's really helpful to think about some of the things that various development agencies are doing, including the World Bank. But let's take a couple of examples. For a long time, development finance was project finance. The idea behind it was there's a new power plant, or there's a road, or there's a factory, and I will put in capital to enable that to be developed. But many of the developed country development agencies have shifted and they've said, what are the barriers to private markets working to investment working? Well, there are a barrier to policy. Those policies don't allow the repatriation of profits, or the policies have high surchcharges in tariffs, or the policies make it difficult to get access to the grid. If you are to adjust those policies, you'd actually start changing the risk of the investment. And we're seeing development agencies increasingly focus their attention on those kinds of policy adjustments. So you look at some places like Ghana or like Kenya in Africa, both of which have seen some really interesting evolution in the way they treat farign capital and the kinds of ways that that capital is now welcomed because it's easier to deploy it and to bring it to project programs, and that now enables private markets and banks around the world to come in because the risk has been reduced. I think we'll see more of that. It's much more evident in some of the upper middle income countries. You see it in a very different way in Mexico than you do in Mali. Mali is still having a great deal of difficulty civil unrest. They're much much harder to work. Mexico is seeing much much more capacity in terms of market investment.
Speaker 1: Now, I want to ask you a big picture question looking at twenty twenty five, ten years of Paris, and I say ten years of Paris, but I want to ask a picture much bigger than Paris, which is when the Paris Agreement got agreed. It was sort of the moment where not just the fact that finally a climate cop led to an agreement, but also a recognition that governments around the world were starting to prioritize climate in a way that they had never done so and we can split what happened after Paris in maybe two hours. The first five years was really recognizing what it means to try and meet these goals. You had the one point five c report that came out that sort of created the net zero by twenty fifty framework that has been adopted by countries and companies. You had investors thinking about investing in ESG because interest rates were low and they thought they could get more return on something that is fundamentally the right thing to do, and there might actually be longer term returns to be gained. And then you can look at the following five years, and then things started to hit reality. If you're to imagine the next ten years now that we've sort of come to a point of more realism on climate, which is carbon cannot be the top priority for any country, but it will be among the top priorities, maybe the top five, maybe the top ten priorities. How do we tackle a global problem over the next ten years as the urgency to act becomes faster, but the reality is going to pull it down.
Speaker 3: So I think there's two realities. There is the reality that is essentially about the climate change itself, and over the last ten years, we've seen the increasing level of impact. I think that that impact starts to show up in local will to change. It shows up in a combination of need for resilience. But it also shows that some of the things things that we are looking to as part of the solutions set, will need to accommodate that resilience. And if they provide both services, both a service for reducing emissions and a service for resilience, they'll be more attractive. Let's give an you example that there have been some massive storms in the United States. It goes back to Superstorm Sandy. We've had Heleen this past year. Interestingly, the communities that were most resilient to those storms were able to put their solar grids onto the market. Those that relied on conventional centralized power, primarily of natural gas, had blackouts. That's a very interesting conclusion. The same thing has happened in Hawaii for typhoons. The same thing has happened in India after the floods. Those local communities that actually had access to domestic, local renewable energy were much more quick to recover. There's a second question here, and that's the price question. Prices have come down for the alternatives, and the prices have come down for a variety of alternatives that are central to the question. One, the price of renewables has come down. It's now much cheaper and in most of the world competitive with fossil fuel. Not everywhere, but much of the world. Two, the price of an electric vehicle has come down. And for some it's been the Chinese market, which is extraordinarily rapidly growing, but it's also been a two and a three wheeler market which is coming out of India, and that's penetrating into Africa with those vehicles, not just with a four wheel light duty car. We're seeing the price of alternative industry coming down, not yet to the point of competition, but to the point where some supplemental price from carbon makes it an equivalent cost. And that looks like it's going to continue to drop at the same rate. If all those things continue, the next ten years is likely to see an acceleration of action. I think it will be less quick in the absence of policy stimulus, but it will occur. And I think really the agenda for this negotiation and for the global endeavor is can you further accelerate the transition, not will it stop or will it continue? But can it go faster?
Speaker 1: Thank you gentathmen.
Speaker 3: Thanks, it's been a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Zero. If you like this episode, please take a moment to rate or review the show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. Share this episode with a friend or with someone who is a Trump supporter. You can get in touch at zero port at Bloomberg dot net. Zero's producer is Mighty Leraum. Bloomberg's head of podcast is Sage Balmer and head of Talk is Brendan nune Our. The music is composed by Wonderly Special thanks to jend De Luis, Sharon Chen, Shuwan Wagner, Ethan Steinberg, Blake Maples, and Jessica Becker. I am Akshatrati Back soon.