Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a slightly longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Tara Moore to Before Breakfast. Tara is a speaker, a coach, and the author of the book Playing Big. So Tara, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to have you here. Why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Well, I am a very busy in the Sandwich generation person. I am an only child of two aging parents. I'm a mom of three kids. I'm a business owner and leader of a team and kind of the steward and host of a community of many thousands of women that are working on playing Bigger. So I feel like in this phase of my life sometimes my to do list is organized by like stakeholder groups.
Speaker 2: Of my life.
Speaker 3: For the first this is the first phase of my life where it's ever been really like that, and I'm really passionate about how our inner lives can either shape our outer lives or really help us cope better with what the outer world and its external circumstances are bringing us. And so that's really where I like to work at, that intersection of our internal space and then what we bring forward into the world.
Speaker 1: So what does it mean to play big?
Speaker 3: My definition of playing big is that it means being more loyal to your dreams than.
Speaker 2: To your fears.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people will hear the term playing big and have kind of a mixed reaction like, ooh, there's a part of me that would love to play bigger, there's a part of me that knows I'm playing small. And then there's another aspect to their reaction of like that sounds exhausting, That sounds like being a big, puffed up ego and playing politics and going for the world screwed up ideas about success. So it's really an internal definition, you know, And I find for me my own playing big edges, which I also always still struggle with.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think we teach what we need to learn, and I've had my own ways of being stuck and playing small. So a playing big edge for me could be am I going to write what I really think today? Or the safe thing? Am I going to speak up in the meeting? Am I going to be a people pleaser? Or not in this relationship? You know, it's all that stuff.
Speaker 1: And why I mean, are those all the reasons people don't play big? I mean? Are people worried about what the world will think of them?
Speaker 3: So if you think of playing big as being loyal to our dreams, that's very vulnerable.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It means we have to be authentic. We usually what we really want for our lives or our careers is probably a bit different from what our family or friends are up to, what they think we should be up to, So we kind of have to trust ourselves and stand alone in having faith in those dreams.
Speaker 2: And so that's hard.
Speaker 3: That's hard. And then there's social reasons. A lot of my work has focused on helping women play bigger and visible women. Powerful women tend to get a lot of push back in our culture and are often treated quite unfairly. So there's also this social layer to very legitimate fears that can come up, but still fears that we might not want to have running us in our lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what would be sort of an example of playing bigger, Like somebody is, you know, kind of going through life and you know, doing their job, raising their family and that sort of normal circumstances. What would it mean for us to think about playing bigger?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it can look a lot of different ways. But one example might be I have this idea that I want to paint, and I used to love art when I was a kid, and then I got talked out of that, told it wasn't a serious thing, or I got told by that fourth grade teacher I didn't really know how to paint, and I never touched again. And maybe for that person, playing big is signing up for the art class, or maybe they've already been painting but not showing anyone, and the playing big is I'm gonna approach a local gallery and see if I could have a show, because that would feel so good. So playing big could look like that. It could look like I want to write a book that tells my story of something significant I've been through in my life. It could look like I want to pitch a different job at work. I see a role that our company is missing. Could be I want to ask for the pay rise that I think I deserve, and for someone else it could be I'm going to turn down a promotion because I've always been on the treadmill and my playing big is realizing i actually want a slower pace of life and I'm not going to be run by whatever society's telling me. The next rung on the ladder is. So those are some examples of the range of ways it can look.
Speaker 1: And your book Playing Big, one of the things you talk about as you're trying to move into this world where you are playing bigger is to consult your inner mentor. So what is an inner mentor? And why is this person, whoever he or she is worth consulting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this has been one of the most remarkable, moving, joyful parts of coaching for me for the past I've been helping people find their inner mentors now for seventeen years, pretty much consistently for seventeen years. So I've seen thousands of people go through this process and it is pretty universally transformative for people. And what it is is it mean it's all about just simply doing a guided visualization meditation that anyone can access online. We can maybe share a link with people. And in that guided in that guided visualization, you let your mind, and not your everyday thinking mind, but your kind of imaginal right brain when you're super relaxed as you get in this meditation, you let that part of your creative mind bring you a sense of your older, wiser self, so yourself way out into the future. And it's kind of like we all have this inner elder that we might not have accessed before but is actually very much there. And it's not Yoda, and it's not your grandma. It's you, older and wiser, and so it is an authentic expression of your unique self, and it has guidance that's right for you. It's not somebody else's guidance that is a general prescription or what they think you should be doing. And so once people get a sense of that figure, they have a different kind of north star for what they're becoming. And they also have this internal mentor that they can consult with and really check in. How would she handle this, how would she move through the same situation, even down to the very granular, how would she write this email? How does she structure her time before breakfast? How does she move her body? What does she make herself for lunch and kind of micro decision by decision, we can find a more authentic, fulfilling life using that north star.
Speaker 1: Well, I imagine one of the upsides of your inner mentors is he or she is available twenty four to seven too, right, which is your If many people have helpful outer mentors, you know other people in their organizations or friends or family or whatever have served as mentors. But that person isn't there telling you, you know, how to write that email all the time.
Speaker 3: She's available all the time whenever you can, whenever you can slow down enough to be quiet to hear her and open to her guidance. She also has the guidance that's customized for you. And you know, our outer mentors can do a lot of the tactical functions of mentorship, the introductions, the opportunities.
Speaker 2: But sometimes I think a lot of mentors.
Speaker 3: Lack a skill to differentiate between the stories from their own lives. Yeah, here's what I did and what worked for me, But what is that the right path for you? Let me ask you a question that would help you discern if it is a lot of mentors don't have that second skill set to not just extrapolate and especially for women, where with every decade we're kind of presented with a new context and a new societal context. A lot of times the person who went through something thirty years before doesn't really have quite the relevant prescription for us.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then i'll be back with more from Taramore. Well, I am back talking with Taramore, who is a speaker, a coach, the author of the book Playing Big. So another one of your tips. Once we've done our found our inner mentor we want to unhook from criticism and praise. Now what does that mean practically in our lives?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, what I found in my coaching work is that a lot of people who they wanted to pursue some kind of playing big dream right to start the business, write the book, go for the bigger role, and they were coming up against a wall that had to do with their relationship to praise or criticism. And so that could look like I want to write the book, but I know it's going to be controversial, or I'm in this senior role now and I just have to make really tough calls that not everyone is going to like. Or I know I should be marketing myself more in my business and being more visible, but that feels like it involves a lot of rejection and failure because I put things out and they don't. They don't necessarily land. So in all these different ways, I kept seeing like all of these clients to get to their goals, they have to transform their relationship to praise and criticism to the world's response to them. Most of us are taking it way too personally. We're going on an emotional rollercoaster with it. We're letting it get us stuck. And the big reframe that I talk about in the book is this idea that feedback doesn't tell you about you. It tells you about the person who's giving the feedback. And that doesn't mean that we dismiss it or throw it out the window because we need it. But we're really learning when we post something as an entrepreneur and it gets no response, we're learning not whether we're we're the entrepreneur or not, but we're learning about our audience. And if we pitch something to leadership at our company, their response is illuminating something about them, and that allows us to start to use feedback as this strategically useful but emotionally neutral information, and that's crucial for really getting to our playing big.
Speaker 1: And I can see how people would get that point with criticism. I mean, you know, many of us need a tougher skin, need to let it roll off our backs, as people say. But the same thing goes for praise, correct, I mean, praise is not necessarily any more helpful.
Speaker 3: Right because let's say, Laura, you write a substock article and it gets lots of great feedback and you're like, few I passed today, you know, like today went well, and that's what most of us do. It's like, oh good, that felt good. Moving on, a couple things are problematic about that. We know from research that actually praise does not increase our confidence. It actually makes us more risk averse, because we become nervous about doing things that will disprove the praise or won't earn us the praise. Caroldrex research on mindset and on growth mindset shows us this. Those effects tend to be the most pronounced for high achieving girls, and I think they also really especially affect high achieving women. But also so think about all the learning that was missed there, because when we go oh few, okay, good, that went well. If that felt good, we don't say why did that resonate, why did that get a response? What's potentially replicable about that? Because we're forgetting to look at it as information about that other party. So we don't want our confidence or our motivation to depend on the world's reception to us. But we do want to keep paying attention to the learnings in both the seemingly less positive and seemingly you know, more positive reactions. They're both full of crucial information for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've learned the crucial information that everyone wants to click on a story called fourteen things you can do this weekend to save you time all year.
Speaker 3: Now we know the number are kind of like they're a regular winner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're a winner that everyone every every post needs to be some version of that. Speaking of putting things out in the world, I mean another thing you recommend in playing big is taking some sort of leap. So we've got some big idea we want to we want to play bigger. But rather than think like, oh, I'm going to write a book necessarily, or I'm going to change careers or whatever it is, to do something smaller that you can test out. Can you talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And this is great for people who are interested in time management because one of the ways that we can really waste time while convincing ourselves we're using our time really well is to do these kind of long, multi month or in many cases, multi year preparation get researching something, you know, writing the full eighty page business plan, writing the full manuscript before we've tested things out in the world. And you know, I live in Silicon Valley now where it's become much more the practice of how companies are built to do these quick cycles of experimentation where we learn what lands with an audience, We learn what works through these scrappy, rapid experiments. But that kind of thinking hasn't made it to a lot of other corners of the world yet, even though it's so valuable. So, yeah, if you want to write a book, test some ideas and some short essays first, you're going to learn so much. And from a sort of personal fulfillment perspective, you have a lot more opportunity to get the juice, like the good joy, self expression juice that you think is going to come from writing a book. You can get that this week by writing that essay on a substack, right, or if you you know, a lot of times people will have a dream like I want to build an amazing retreat center for parents, or I want to have a retail store that does X Y, and like rent that retreat center for one weekend first, or use your living room and make it a one evening event. So I always encourage people, what can you do in the next one to two weeks that gets you and the work you want to do in contact with an audience, and then treat that as an experiment that has a learning goal. It's not about how many people come into the room, but did you resolve some of your unknowns through that process?
Speaker 1: And is there a way you might think of one of these leaps in more of a like corporate or organizational context. Let's say somebody has sort of a normal white collar of job and is thinking of sort of raising their platform within their organization. What might be an example of a leap you could take in that context?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean so many. In fact, sometimes in those contexts it's hard to do it's harder to do things the bigger, longer way. But it could be you know I want to develop thought leadership in this area. I'm going to do one post about it this week, maybe on my company's internal message board. I'm going to host a brown bag lunch this week and teach about that topic. The thing I was thinking of pitching to my boss as a big initiative. What would be the two week experiment we could run to get some initial feedback on it and pitch that.
Speaker 1: I love it. Well, We're going to take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Taramore. Well, I am back talking with Taramore, who is the author of the book Playing Big. I know you have a lot of different things on your plate these days. What's kind of your business mix at the moment? What are you putting out in the world right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I continue to teach the Playing Big course, which is for women who want to play bigger in their lives and work. Then we also have many coaches, therapists, managers, mentors who want to be trained in the Playing Big coaching model to use it in their work, and so teach that. I also teach sort of my take on coaching skills through a different course. So we have a really wonderful, robust online education business. And then I continue to do corporate speaking, and then I'm working on a new book as well.
Speaker 1: Exciting. Well, we're looking forward to that for sure. What does your schedule tend to look like? Oh?
Speaker 2: LORDI Laura LRDI you knew I was getting there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I mean you got a picture. I call our house the campus because we have two work at home parents, we have three homeschooled children, we have an unruly dog, and then those are all the beings, and so I find it critical whenever I can. I like to be up, you know, an hour to two before the kids, and I find that usually the most important cognitive and creative work of the day happens. Then then that allows me to feel unrushed when they wake up. That because I'm very much a morning brain. So if I'm being a morning brain and I spend the first hour of the day reading picture books and pouring apple juices, I start to get kind of antsy. But if I've already gotten those two hours in, I'm like ready for that. And then yeah, I keep for the most part, I keep things free of meetings until about eleven am, so I can continue to write and do that heavier kind of in the document's work, and then meetings called teaching tends to happen midday early afternoon. Usually some kind of workout gets slotted in there, depending on the day, and then by the afternoon, I'm you know, schlepping around to karate and chorus and things like that.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned your kids are homeschooling. How does that fit in with the schedule with all that.
Speaker 3: They they are, Well, my elementary age and my junior high are pretty self sufficient with that. Each kid has their own Google calendar, they have their schedule varies quite a bit day to day because of the nature of homeschooling, and so they're moving between classes that they do online, classes in the community. Learning activities that we do with them pieced into all of that. And we have a really wonderful childcare helper too, who's you know, making sure all that happens when we're working and dealing with transportation needs that happened earlier in the day and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent.
Speaker 1: I'm always fascinated by families who managed to do working in homeschooling simultaneously. It's like one of those wonderful things of time that works in ways people don't always appreciate it. Yes, and these are things that can in fact fit together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but it definitely can.
Speaker 1: And since you are a morning person, I mean, is there anything in addition to the work that's part of like your morning routine, Like do you have any sort of things that make you in the mood to work in the morning or is it just straight up shoot the coffee, go for it.
Speaker 3: I always pray before I get up, you know, before I even get out of bed, So I and I like, in the morning, my prayer is more like turning over the day to a higher power than myself and asking that higher power to guide the day and kind of setting my own intention to be in a listening mode and a co creation mode with that larger force through the day. And then at the end of the day, the prayer is more like, well, it's kind of a quick review of the day, like is there anything I want to apologize for?
Speaker 2: Is there.
Speaker 3: Like any yeah, amends that needs to be made? Is there are other places where I feel like I really missed the mark? What do I want to remember with gratitude from the day and savor. It's more like that.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. So I always ask my guests, what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome?
Speaker 3: Such a great question. A few things come to mind. I mean one, I think one of the most reliable ways for me to do that is to move my body, and that just wakes me up, brings clarity, brings endorphins. So I love to dance, I love to lift weights, and I love to walk, and now I walk with a weighted vest too, which just gives me a little more like oomph out of a walk.
Speaker 2: So that's number one.
Speaker 3: I also really love exchanging voice memos with good friends. You know, we call it our podcast episodes because we can get on there and we talk for twenty minutes. But in this you know, family family working phase of life, it's quite hard to get a synchronous forty five minutes with another friend of mine who's also in that situation.
Speaker 2: Plus we have time zone. You know.
Speaker 3: My friends are all over the world, my close friends, and so that is just lovely. And getting to do a walk and listen to a friend. Sharon update for twenty minutes and then leave one that really adds a great deal.
Speaker 2: To my day too. I love it.
Speaker 1: I might have to start doing that because yes, it's like I like listening to podcasts where I think of the people as friends. So how much better to have my own personal podcast from someone who actually is yes, who knows me. Yeah, yeah, wonderful. So what are you looking forward to right now?
Speaker 2: Oh? What am I looking forward to right now? Well? My husband is lunch. I don't know, this is okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well no, I mean my listeners will have heard from him, Tara, they will from VIAU or in general, yes, via me. He was on his guest on the show a few weeks before yours airs.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so then let's just say it.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, yeah, communicating between you two for okay.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right now, oh right, right right, okay, right now, it's coming back. See this is a midlife short term memory storage, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, my husband Eric Reece is launching a book very soon called Incorruptible. It's a beautiful, important book that I'm so proud of him for creating. So I'm really looking forward to celebrating that coming into the world. It's around the corner. And you know, we met in college very much in the land of ideas, and so this much later in life when there's so much family project management in our lives. To just be celebrating a book launch and being talking about ideas so much more and getting to watch him share his voice in the world in that way, like, that's just been super fun and I'm really looking forward to the actual book launch week phase of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you both get to watch each other play big yes world. Where could people find you?
Speaker 3: Yes, I met taramore dot com and it's mohr. That's a good place to find me, and I dabble loose light very lately in social media, but I would much rather people find me via the website and the email list, and that's where I feel like we all get to talk with each other at a less breathless pace and longer form.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, Tara, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback, as we hear, feedback is useful and you are by target audience people who are listening to this. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at lauracam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.