Speaker 1: It's only April eleventh, and we already have our first quarterback injury that could impact the twenty twenty five season. Where do the Saints go from here? With Derek Carr's status in jeopardy again, we will tell you the latest. In New Orleans, the NFL Draft is just thirteen days away, and Travis Hunter will not have to wait long to hear his name called.
Speaker 2: Will he be an NFL receiver? A corner?
Speaker 1: Both hear what the Heisman Trophy winner is saying now about his positional and geographical destinations. Michael Parsons does not appear to be headed out of Dallas, but he also does not appear to be close to a record breaking contract. Jane Slater is going to be here nobody better to break down all angles as the offseason program approaches, and also discussed where the Cowboys could look with the number twelve pick. Welcome Inside with the Insiders alongside Ian Rappaport, I'm Tom Pilicero in the NFL Network newsroom in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: We got special guests on the show tonight.
Speaker 1: Josh Connerley, junior tackle from Oregon, a potential first round pick.
Speaker 2: He's going to be on the show.
Speaker 1: So is our buddy Brett Lewis, who unleashed a mock draft with a shocking trade at number two. Stick around and hear from rep. But let's begin with the big news that Ian reported a short time ago. Derek Carr, whose time in New Orleans has been marked by a number of things but certainly including injuries, now dealing with another one and his season. Ian sounds like it is very much in Jeffarty.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: My understanding is that Derek Carr faces a murky future in New o owns specifically rated to the twenty twenty five season. Sources say Derek Carr is now dealing with a significant shoulder injury, believed to be a throwing shoulder injury that he has now been seeking medical opinions on. From what I understand, a decision is coming from Carr on how he is going to proceed, and yes, surgery is an option. If Derek Carr did in fact have surgery, it would likely take him off the field at the very least the start of the twenty twenty five season, likely more likely would put the New Orleans Saints and new coach Kellen Moore in this entirely new staff on the field without the person who has been their starting quarterback for the last several years. We do not know as of right now the immediate future of car Noise. It clear how and when this injury happened. Believed to have occurred at some point last season. Remember, he was dealing with a broken non throwing end to end this season and that was it. It's unclear if he had the injury at that time. There's still a ton of questions tom for the New Orleans Saints. What we know now is that Derek Carr needs to make a decision based on the medical opinions he will receive. And we also know that heading into the NFL Draft, where the Saints pick number nine, there's now a major major question about their quarterback need. In the first round or certainly early.
Speaker 1: Saints Oderek Carr forty million dollars, it's guaranteed this season. There was back and forth in the off season about whether or not, potentially they would restructure it in a more substantial way, including a pay cut. Car was not going. Along with that, there were retirement rumblings among other things. Now here we are once again wondering who the Saints quarterback is going to be should be noted they own the number nine overall pick, and even before this came to light, the Saints were doing their homework on a lot of different potential quarterbacks that could be factors in the draft, whether that's at number nine or it's later on. As we evaluate the future of Schadoor Sanders, Jackson Dart among others, and Tyler Shook potentially as well, it is notable that perhaps while they've always needed that quarterback of the future, now they might also need the quarterback of right now. In related news, the Browns added yet another quarterback to their room. It is Joe Flacco who is back in Cleveland. It's a one year, four million dollar contract. He ken earn up to thirteen million dollars with incentives. This is backup quarterback tight money for Joe Flacco on a team that also acquired Kenny Pickett by trade in the offseason, but owns the number two overall pick and five picks in the first three rounds or so in the draft. You take a look at some of the mock drafts that our experts have done and who they are picking for the Browns. You see some love for shandor Sanders as well as Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter.
Speaker 3: Ret Lewis. So now we gave it away.
Speaker 2: He'll break it all.
Speaker 1: Down and how in the world they got to end up taking Ashton genty. They did not do it at number two. I'll leave the rest of it to him. But when it comes to Joe Flacco Ian and the Browns, this is not a move that precludes them from doing anything, whether that's through a trade or the draft, but it does add a quarterback to Kevin Stefanskian company.
Speaker 4: Know well, the goal of NFL teams, as you know, Tom, is that they want to enter the upcoming draft, whichever year it is. But we'll talk this year's draft because that's coming up in about two weeks. They want to enter the draft with a team that they could feel right. Basically, they want to say, if the season started today, we would have a team ready.
Speaker 3: Now. The hope is to go into.
Speaker 4: The draft draft the best player available and not need need anything.
Speaker 3: The Browns are now in that position.
Speaker 4: That's basically how it would characterize the signing today of Joe Flacco. One year he gets three million dollars guaranteed you right, That is basically backup quarterback money. But at least they have a quarterback room that could go into the season and be okay. My understanding does not take them away from anything. It's actually similar to the New York Giants that with Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston. Could they take a quarterback, of course they could. Could they take them in the first round, of course they could. Similar to the Cleveland Browns, if it's a quarterback of the future, They're not going to let a signing of Joe Flacco for not a lot of money take them away from that. It just gives them a little security in case maybe someone takes the quarterback they want, in case they try to execute the trade. It does happen, and of course a lot of good feelings between Cleveland and Joe flack of considering what he did leading to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: This is kind of a cool reunion.
Speaker 1: That was not the only reunion for a veteran quarterback earlier today, the Seahawks also brought back an old friend. It is Drew lock who is returning for Seattle in a second stint after initially being acquired as part of the Russell Wilson trade. Locksman last season with the Giants did have some productive moments for them. Now back in Seattle where he still has a lot of fans, this time around as a backup quarterback behind Sam Darnold. Sam Howell also in that quarterback room, and Josh Johnson is headed back to the Commanders. Did Josh Johnson play for the Commanders previously? He did, But it's also pretty safe to say that any Josh Johnson team is a reunion. He has played for pretty much the entire league. He is now back behind Jayden Daniels in Washington. Meanwhile, that NFL Draft just thirteen days away. Jalen Miller another name the potentially you could here called in the first round of the draft. And if that happens, Jayleen Milroe wants to tell you why I.
Speaker 5: Don't consider it a challenge.
Speaker 2: I considered it as a superpower.
Speaker 6: You know, it's something that's traits that people don't have, and so why not benefit from that and why not prepare to keep on dominating defenses and be able to have something that other people have, because.
Speaker 3: You know, it's unique, you know something everybody wants you to have.
Speaker 6: My superpower having my legs and my arms, So why did I use that as a crush against myself because someone doesn't like it if you don't like it stopping.
Speaker 3: So I'm not, you know, phased by that that phase of you.
Speaker 6: Know why you're you know, while you're a runner and things like that, because at the end of the day, it's hard for defensive defensive coordita to stop it. You know, one one corver that do not get at all. It's too man, because no one has me. So it's it's it's it's definitely a superpower of mind, and I use my stress as my superpower.
Speaker 2: Jail and Milroe played a lot of big games. So did this guy, Quinn?
Speaker 1: You ers only did was go to a couple of college football playoffs when eleven to one on the road as a starter, won a conference title in one conference, then went to another one and took that team to a conference championship game. I had him on the Rich Eisen Show earlier today and asked him what he thinks to the fact that he's not really been in the conversation with those other big names.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, I mean, like you said, I feel like I'm a little underlooked for sure, you know, just looking back at my resume, you know, winning the last twenty one out of the twenty six games that I played, like you said, going to Big twelve, winning that game, then first year in the SEC, going to the SEC championship game, you know, back to back years in the college football playoffs, and you know, it was a fun ride, and I mean, I couldn't be more excited. And like you said, I feel like I'm the most polished quarterback I've been through the most coming out of this draft the most. I just feel like I'm the resiliency that I've shown in the minch toughness that I've shown. It's pretty much unmatched from from kind of what I had to what I had to deal with and what I've been through, and I wouldn't trade any of it for anything.
Speaker 5: I think it's getting ready for.
Speaker 3: The NFL and whatever is to come by way.
Speaker 7: But yeah, eleven to one on the road, only lost with my freshman year against Oklahoma State, so finished out eleven and zero on the road. I mean, team was five and seven before I got there, finished twenty seven to five my last few years. You know, it was fun turning that program around, and you know, with some help obviously, but it was it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Oh, Bucky Brooks overloo Quin youwers as well. Here's his top five quarterback prospects. Chadour at number one, Bucky's staying on that island, cam Wore Jackson Dark, Jalen Miler, and then Kyle McCord at Syracuse, the one time Ohio state starter checking in at number five. Travis Hunter is in Bucky's top five. I believe in multiple positions. He's a corner, He's a receiver.
Speaker 2: He is a.
Speaker 1: Unicorn in this draft. And he told the Associated Press recently that he's still unsure what side of the ball teams will want him to focus on. That could vary based upon the team that he ends up going to. The Browns have made pretty clear that they would potentially look at him as a wide receiver prospect. Other teams would look at him as a corner.
Speaker 8: What are you at the next level?
Speaker 3: Both?
Speaker 8: Just like you saw me play, you want to do both? How many snaps in a football game? Can you play all of them? If they gave me a chance and an opportunity.
Speaker 9: To do it?
Speaker 8: And so we were talking about the challenges that come with it. You got to be in offensive meetings, You got to be in defensive meetings, you got to be in wide receiver meetings, you got to be in defensive back meetings. How is there enough time to do all that? How did you prepare for that when you played college? Well, we kind of got twenty four hours in a day. We probably sleep for by eight of those, so it's probably got fifteen more.
Speaker 3: So dedicated to those I'm dedicated to football.
Speaker 1: Take a look at some of the players to start a wide receiver and corner in the same game since nineteen eighty Antonio Cramarti, Champ Bailey, those two I'm pretty sure were package type plays. Deon Sanders he was the real number three receiver and had a whole bunch of catches for the Cowboys back in nineteen ninety six. It all brings us to the question ian of whether or not Travis can follow in the footsteps. So the guy who coached him there at Colorado, and it does seem like, as you talk from team to team, the plan if Travis Hunter were to go there might be a little bit different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you mentioned it right off the top, right, So if he goes to Cleveland Browns A two, which is certainly in the realm of possibilities, will start out as a receiver, someone they believe is incredibly talented. He is incredibly talented, and he hasn't exactly focused on receiver that much. So whatever you're seeing on the fields a lot of bait just based on his raw ability. Imagine if they got that kind of coaching you get as a full time receiver. That's at least how teams who view him as a receiver feel, and then he would potentially sprinkle in at corner. But there are several other teams teams do pick high who view him as a corner first, and you know.
Speaker 3: We use the term shutdown.
Speaker 4: That's not really the kind of player that Travis Hunter would be. He's not Patrick shir Tamwi. Just lines up with the number one guys, more of an instinctual maybe someone who would excel and zone, someone who might get beat some of it, might lead the league in interceptions, just a really really unique corner. Then he could come in play receiver, maybe in the red zone. This conversation that we're having right now, Tom, we have not had a lot in the last many many years.
Speaker 3: This is a unicorn.
Speaker 4: A lot of teams love him, but just don't know how it's going to play out, and I think that's kind of going to be part of the fun of watching him is like it's all out there for Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: I just I don't know that he's just going to play every snap of every game.
Speaker 1: We'll think about some of the matches we have to look forward to. You're facing the Chiefs, You go against Trent McDuffie on Ovius and you flip around, try to pick off Patrick.
Speaker 2: Mahomes, who already is getting ready.
Speaker 1: To take on Travis Hunter and any other corners that might stand in his way. Throw in for one of his new tight ends, Robert Tunyan recently ahead of the upcoming start of the Chiefs off season program. Chiefs every year lose about a month of the offseason because they're always in the Super Bowl. But Patrick back at it barely two months later. Meanwhile, the Texans rewarding one of their own earlier today, Jalen Petrie, Green terms on a three year, thirty nine million dollar extension. He gets over twenty nine million dollar guaranteed can earn upwards of forty two million with the incentives. That deal for Petree now makes him the NFL's highest paid Nickel also a friend of the Insider, so congrats to Jalen Petrie who continues to also do a lot of great work down there in the Houston community. A lot more to come here on the Insiders, including Jane Slater will be here. What is the latest on Michael Parsons? Exactly what will the Cowboys do with the number twelve overall pick? And after this we already previewed it. Maybe maybe ruin the surprise a little bit, but you'll have to wait for rat Lewis to explain how that trade happened to land at Ashton genty in Cleveland. It's a lot to take on. Stick around light it next on the Insiders. Thirteen days to the twenty twenty five NFL drafts. Still time to get your mock drafts done. Rtt Lewis did that. You can find a full mock draft right now at NFL dot com. And now we're at Lewis joining us right here on the Insiders with me, Tom Pellisero, Rhett. You've got cam Or going number one along with all the other mock drafts we've seen pretty close to a certainty that's going to be the pick. So let's start out at number two because you've got a trade right here. Explain to me the thought process at number two.
Speaker 10: Well, look, I think this is a draft that maybe doesn't have as many way up there league, top tier, blue chip type of players, but Travis Hunter is certainly one of those guys. He feels like one of these guys that.
Speaker 2: You would move up to go and get.
Speaker 10: And look, it's not a huge jump from six to two for the Raiders to go up and make that move with the Cleveland Browns, and it just so happens to solve like two fairly big needs for them. And I feel like Pete Carroll is a coach tom that is going to be unafraid about using Travis Hunter full go on both sides of the ball, dB and receiver, and then maybe tapering back at some point if you need to tinker with that a little bit.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing.
Speaker 10: You might have to give up a twenty six first round pick to go and make this move. But I think you would take Travis Hunter the wide receiver in the first round, and then I think in another draft you would take what Travis Hunter the dB in the first round two. So this really feels like a two for one, and I feel pretty good about giving up the compensation to go get this player.
Speaker 1: All right, So Travis Hunter goes at number two, then at number three for the Giants, it's really Abdul Carter unless they go the quarterback route with Shador Sanders.
Speaker 2: Why'd you go Carter there?
Speaker 10: I'm just following all and reading all the tea leaves that you and Ian and Micro dropping, and it certainly sounds like you guys are saying that the Browns and the Giants might be passing a two and three on the quarterback. And in that case, knowing that the Giants did make some move at the quarterback spot to fill their room with Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston, you could arguably the best player in the draft falling into your lap here at number three. Sure, they traded for Brian Burns last year, drafted Kavon Thibodeau a couple of drafts ago, but you know, for following the Eagles model of building a bully up front, and if that's a championship model, I feel pretty dang good about bringing a player like Abdull Carter, the best edge rusher, defensive lineman to maybe overall player in the draft in New York.
Speaker 1: So you have the Browns then going down to six where they once again pass on a quarterback.
Speaker 11: RTT.
Speaker 2: What's the plan here?
Speaker 10: Well, look, I think we look back at the last couple of playoff appearances here for the Cleveland Browns, they were a much better running football team than they have been recently. I think they're bottom third in the league in terms of rushing yards per game last year. And you're getting a player in Ashton genty. If you're watching Path to the Draft today, we talked about Ladanian Tomlinson type Tom at the very top if he maxes out his potential and sign me up for that in Cleveland. I think what he does if you get Kirk Cousins via trade at some point or if you roll with can you pick it, he really helps your quarterback this year. And then if you go get a younger player let's say, you know, second, third, fourth round this year, or you just wait until next year to get a QB as a rookie, he's going to ease that transition having that big time run game.
Speaker 1: There's one other team that's had all these top quarterback prospects in for visits, including Schnor Standers, that is the Steelers at number twenty one.
Speaker 2: Where'd you go there?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's become a pretty popular projection to put Jackson Dart is the third quarterback off the board and into the first round, into the Pittsburgh Steelers at twenty one. Now, look, maybe there's a team that wants to come back into the first round and try to jump in front of the Steelers.
Speaker 5: To go get that third quarterback at Jackson Dart.
Speaker 10: But if he's there, I think either even if Aaron Rodgers ends up on the roster, I don't know how you feel about it, but I think even if this gives you a really good long term option at the position, and it just felt like they have not had that. And obviously, here Rogers comes in, he's not going to present that type of longevity four y at the position. So having a high level player at Dart certainly makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Rhett, great stuff as always, Good to see you, buddy, We appreciate it.
Speaker 9: No pro.
Speaker 1: Patrick Peterson, the longtime cornerback, will announce his retirement as a cardinal at a press conference on Mondays. When just five defensive players in Super Bowl Air to make the Pro Bowl in each of his first eight seasons, last played in twenty twenty three, with Pittsburgh now calling in a career developing news tonight from Ian Rappaport, the Saints suddenly have a major quarterback question, their starter Derek Carr, now dealing with a shoulder injury that threatens his availability for the twenty twenty five season. Car currently is weighing options, including the possibility of surgery answers within the next couple of weeks, timing up with a draft in which New Orleans happens down the number nine pick. Gent may or may not still be on the board by that time. One of the top prospects overall in this drafty Boise State star, who some have mock drafted to of the Dallas Cowboys if he's there at number twelve, mock drafts that certainly former Cowboys linebacker Jalen Smith would agree with.
Speaker 12: In twenty sixteen, when I was drafted, I was drafted second round. Dak was drafted in the same class, but our number four overall pick was Ezekiel Elliott, a running back.
Speaker 3: Dallas Cowboys needs a running back.
Speaker 12: Jerry Jones and the Jones family and the Dallas Cowboys they love Boise State talent. I played with Kellen Moore, who was the quarterback at Boise State, and I was coached by him as the offensive coordinator in Dallas.
Speaker 3: Leyden vander Esch was.
Speaker 12: A Boise State player, DeMarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford. There's some Boise State connection, and I think Dallas is ready to make a real push come A's Draft night.
Speaker 1: A Boise State love connection as it were for the Cowboys, who have drafted quite a few Boise State players over the years, Leyton vandersh the most recent one, Cedric Wilson, DeMarcus Lawrence, among others. As we welcome I Jane Slater, who is down there in Dallas. Is this are we connecting the dots and the strings here a little too far?
Speaker 9: Jane?
Speaker 2: Or is this a real.
Speaker 1: Possibility of Ashton Genty if he's actually there being the new man in Dallas.
Speaker 13: Look, when I was at the East West Shrine game watching practices, one of Ashton Genty's people came over to me and said, we've got to start talking about getting him here to Dallas.
Speaker 3: I said, you guys know, I.
Speaker 13: Don't own the team, so I don't have that sort of in but I think it's very clear that Ashton Genty would love to be here. And look, there is the Boise State connection. As Jalen Smith reference, there's obviously a huge need at that position. The running back by committee was an apt failure last year until they decided to move forward to Rico Dawdle getting the majority of the carries. But Asha Genty being there at twelve for them, are them even taking a running back in the first round, I think is going to be a bit of a stretch guys.
Speaker 3: Again, Ashon Gentz.
Speaker 13: The reason why there's this connection is he went to high school there in Frisco. He's the hometown guy. Obviously would like to stay put. But I think there's a couple of other ones you should keep an eye on. What we do know from the Cowboys thirty visit so far they've brought in at least four running backs, about.
Speaker 3: As many as they have at the edge position.
Speaker 13: Some of the guys that are really sort of moving up and getting mocked to Dallas. Keep an eye on Omari and Hampton and then the other one that I think really impressed the Cowboys based on some of my conversations was by Shell Tooton. Now, this was a guy who ran a four to three to two at the combine. If you listen to lanzer line, he'll tell you that this guy has got immediate starter capabilities. He's got three down value. And I was told not only did he impress the coaches in the staff with the Cowboys when he came in last week by the fact that he was wearing a suit, but they also showed he had a lot of maturity and they were also really impressed in Virginia Tech kids football like you.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: So we'll talk about them drafting a receiver, running back and they'll probably take a center. Let's talk about a current member of the Dallas Cowboys, Micah Parsons. We know talks going on for a potential contract extension. Off season workouts start on Monday. Do we know if we will see their star pass rusher and everything else.
Speaker 13: Listen, we haven't seen Micah Parsons in the last two seasons voluntary workouts. He always makes a point to point out to us they are in fact voluntary. I remember I asked him out his locker. You know what sort of message are you trying to send to the locker room if you say that, you're a leader, Micah, and you know Micah said, the guys get it. I was also a little shocked with his transparency when he said, I don't get paid like some of these guys.
Speaker 9: To be here.
Speaker 13: In other words, there are some built in stipends to some of these contracts for some of the stars to show up there. So that was sort of his way of sending out a missive to the Cowboys as early as last year that that's something he might like to see and his contract now. Jerry Jones and Brian Schottenheimer, the Cowboys new coach, intimated that they thought that Parsons would be a participant this year.
Speaker 3: We'll see if that's the case.
Speaker 13: Mike McCarthy thought he was going to be their last year, and then Parsons didn't show up. I reached out to Parsons to see if he had anything to say on it. He hasn't responded back yet, so that will likely be a storyline next week. Remember, folks, he's our voluntary and he was there at the mandatory OTAs in June last year.
Speaker 1: We'll look forward to Micah's answer to your text to his next podcast. Jane, thank you as always for your insight.
Speaker 9: Time.
Speaker 1: Now for a segment that we all love. It's fact or fiction with our buddy Adam Rank. Let's start right there, Rank with Paul.
Speaker 11: Let stop right there. Okay, I'm hold on for a second. Oh boy, listen, I do this live on Friday night every time I've got commitments. I'm going to go do an old folks home a comedy show. And yet you are sitting here in a different outfit, Bonsie, because earlier when you're talking to RHTT, you're in a button up shirt. Now you got the leather jacket on. It Is this a clip show?
Speaker 1: I knew what I wanted Brett to feel like. He was not under dressed for the show, so I took it off. Now straight back to the funds, Arelly. Hopefully this show is not going to jump the shark. Okay, Cowboys fact or fiction, they need to draft a quarterback, Rank, Tom, I'm.
Speaker 11: Gonna say that's a fact, but it's a fact if the quarterback is Shadoor Sanders. Allow me to get out of my conspiracy theory Tinfoil had as we go into it. Listen, do the Cowboys necessarily need a quarterback. They don't. But how fun would it be for the Dallas Cowboys to be sitting there at twelve having Shador Sanders available to them, realizing, hey, look if we alf Shador and we have them sit the bench behind Dak Prescott because Dak Prescott's contract makes it impossible to move him this year, but it's a guy long term down the road. Not only could you get Shadoor Sanders, you could also get Dion Sanders to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. You can't tell me. You can't tell me that Brian Schottenheimer is the plan. That's a plan. See that's everything is closed. I'm going to del Taco type of plan. Listen, Shador Sanders, Dion Sanders, Dallas Cowboys, twenty twenty six. The Cowboys have the chance to do the best thing ever and they need to do it. And by the way, I think that needs to happen.
Speaker 4: I don't know what's worse the fact that you're calling for the removal of Brian Schatanheimer before he's coached the game, or whether you just destroyed Deltaco, which is actually totally fine. I love Deltak, No I love Del Taco sounds like you really do the fact or fiction. If Aaron Rodgers signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers, they should still draft a quarterback in Round one.
Speaker 11: Let's say you this is a fact, much like I think that Permant's is a great place. That's a fact. Del Taco's a great place. That's a fact. But I do too. Listen, don't make me mismirch these places, and I will not mismirch the Pittsburgh Steelers, who have an opportunity to build for a quarterback of the future. Obviously, if Aaron Rodgers comes in, this is going to be a short term situation. But if the Pittsburgh Steelers have a chance to draft somebody like Jackson Dark, maybe Schador Sanders also falls down. If the Dallas Cowboys don't take them, there don't There doesn't seem to be a lot of teams in between the Cowboys and the Steelers who would be taking a quarterback. So I think for the long term viability for the Steelers, you draft your quarterback in the future, bringing a veteran. I know this will anger some people, but I think it kind of is reminiscent in the time when the Pittsburgh Steelers had touchdown Tommy Maddox and they drafted Ben Roethlisberger, and Tommy Maddocks started what was at eight games before he was finally removed or something happened. Ben Roethlisberger comes in. I think Aaron Rodgers could be a britt Yeah, this is it, Aaron Rodgers. You're not being compared to Tommy Maddox's where your life is gone?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: I like by the way, I like Tommy Maddox too. Listen, Tommy Maddicks, del Taco Schottenheimer.
Speaker 11: Love Schottenheimer, get out of there. I'm a big la extreme guy, so I love Tommy Maddox.
Speaker 2: All right. Fact or fiction?
Speaker 1: Rank the brown should trade for Kirk Cousins even after signing Joe Flacco.
Speaker 11: That's a fiction. Why are you training for the same guy you got Joe Flacco. Joe Flacco took this team to the playoffs two years ago. I don't even know why they would be messing around with this. This is no disrespect. Ian. Don't get it twisted. I like Kirk Cousins. He's fine, He's a good NFL quarterback. However, if you've got Joe Flacco, you don't need both of these guys. You got one. You got Joe Flacco. You made your decision.
Speaker 2: You go with him.
Speaker 11: So for Kirk Cousins, I think there are other opportunities for him. And by the way, it's not the worst thing in the world to be the backup quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons. To sit there and be a mentor for Michael Pennix. The Falcons could be very good this season. When you look at where the Falcons are drafting, If they draft correctly, get that defensive end, actually sack the quarterback, they have a chance to knock off the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for.
Speaker 4: The NFC South, Pennix Pennis looks pretty good. That's gonna be interesting one to watch, all right. Another one for your rank. The New York Giants are now set at quarterback after signing Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston.
Speaker 3: Fact or fiction, I would.
Speaker 11: Say that's a fact. I really like this tandem. Honestly, when they signed Jameis Winston, I was very excited about it. As a matter of fact, I believe I was on this show already touting that we needed to go out there and draft the league. Neighbors and all our fantasy drafts, and then the Giants come in there and they bring in Russell Wilson. You've already done it again. You've taken yourself out of the quarterback situation. There's no need to go after Sador Sanders cam Ward if he happens to fall, Jackson Dart anything like that. The Giants sitting at number three are in a very interesting position because they couldn't end up with a dual Carter Mason Graham makes a lot of sense. Or if they want to get weird, Ashton Genty could be available. I know that you won't make people forget that you let Saquon Barkley go and win a Super Bowl with the Eagles, But that would be a pretty good start.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Last one rank fact or fiction. The Vikings are set at quarterback with JJ McCarthy for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 11: I'm going to say this is fiction and it has nothing to do with JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 11: I think he's good Ian, he's good. I like Del Taco, I like JJ McCarthy, I like Permantes. Who's the backup quarterback in Minnesota. It's Brett Rippon. That's the problem. That's the thing. That's holding me up. I think that you need a veteran presence behind him just in case something happens, Just in case there's something that happens with his rehab or something like that. If you're looking for a guy who might be available. Dare I say the name Kirk Cousins, the Kirk Cousins Reunion. You know, I mean Chick fil A is fine, but you know he's missing Portillo's. Send him back to Minnesota and let him back up.
Speaker 1: JJ McCarthy rank, you never disappoint, except when you comment on the editing and the wardrobe. On the end, I'm saying I can talk with you again. Get out the great jacket out of here. We appreciate you being live though. That's actually a big part of being on a live show. Coming up, they had Connorley versus Carter in a college football playoff game. And no, that's not the new name of the next Beyonce album. We got Josh Connerley Jr. Potential first round pick. He joins the show and also talks about being a big man who can carry the ball a little bit.
Speaker 2: Next on The Insiders.
Speaker 1: Not many more consistent players for Oregon over the past couple of seasons than they're left tackle. Josh Connery Junior opening holes, blocking for the likes of Bo Nicks and Dylan Gabriel, occasionally even catching the ball a little bit. One of us several Oregon players to earn honors this past season, thirteen days away from finding out where he's going to go in the NFL Draft, kind enough to take a few minutes with us here on the Insiders, Tom Pilisero and Ian Rappaport. Josh, I appreciate you beating what is life like right now? No One, sometime here in these next couple of weeks you're gonna know where across the country you're continuing your football career.
Speaker 14: Man, it's a blessing and it's very exciting, and you know it's everything.
Speaker 5: Got a drink for you, know what I mean? So great, Philla.
Speaker 4: There's obviously some questions going forward about where you're going to go how high. Certainly seems like it's going to be a good process, good outcome for you.
Speaker 3: But also what position played?
Speaker 4: Left tackle? The last two years you played different positions. Where do you see yourself? Do you see yourself as a left tackle only or is the ability to play right side, something that you take pride in.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean whatever is asked on me. But I do see myself as a left tackle. But I mean honestly, anything that coaches won for me, that's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: So now you know you're six four five a's three hundred and eleven pounds. I would still say, based on a couple of clips I've seen, maybe running back.
Speaker 2: Is the position of the future.
Speaker 1: We got a couple of clips them letting you touch the ball, Josh breakdown, Josh Connolly Junior the skill position weapon.
Speaker 14: I mean tooo, when I get out there and I have the I have the ability to do anything on the field. Personally, I can't really throw like that, but I mean I got the hands.
Speaker 5: I could run a little bit.
Speaker 14: You know, ball security is always nice, and the hands are solf, so I feel like I can get it done.
Speaker 4: You know, in today's NFL, having offensive lineman be like actual athletes is kind of a real thing. Being, you know, ability to get in space and go find a corner. You have also been a basketball player, you have as we talked about how to touchdown a two boy conversion. What kind of an athlete are you? At and has this been a topic of conversation for you as you get to know some of these NFL teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's the attraction.
Speaker 14: You know, I'm able to get out in space on screens, I'm able to mirror anybody in pass protection, you know what I mean. So I feel like that is one of my advantages when it comes to like just having a big skill set of you know, a wide variety of things to do on the field.
Speaker 1: So there have been a bunch of NBA players that have come out of your high school there in the state of Washington too. I can only imagine when you're as big as you are, the first time you're out there in like high school, you have to be dwarfing the other guys on the basketball for much less the football field.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, honestly, there's been some guys that I played against that actually tower me, but you know, and size wise, Like I played against guys like Paul ben Carrow mmble. Even I've had a lot of competition with J. T. Tumlow as well, like we grew up playing against each other. So I mean there's always been a lot of.
Speaker 5: Me time people and me also being tired as well. So, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Want to talk about another one on one matchup.
Speaker 4: It's going back to the Big Ten title game, you versus Abdul Carter. He is a stud. He is going to go high in this draft. I don't think anyone doubts the unbelievable talent that he has. You had a pretty good day against him, really good day against him. What do you remember from that matchup and what do you How do you view Carter as a prospect.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean he's a one of a kind in my opinion, gets off the ball like no other. I feel like that's where he really separates himself as his get off and his ability to be really decisive with his moves and just continues to just thrive.
Speaker 5: But I feel like, yeah, I had a solid day.
Speaker 14: I mean, obviously there's some things that I do want back, and I feel like technique could have been cleaner at times. But overall, I mean, we got the win as a team, and that's all that really mattered to me.
Speaker 1: It does look like you were given them the business a little bit at one point to Abdul Carter. Are you a big talker on the field? Do you play the intimidation game?
Speaker 3: Job.
Speaker 14: Sure, Nah, I don't. I'm not a huge talker. I just go out there and do my thing. That's about it.
Speaker 4: Well, you're doing a good job talking to us, sent and we appreciate that. I want you to talk about one of your quarterbacks, and actually you've had some really good quarterbacks Bo Nicks. Dylan Gabriel in this draft. He is not a big dude. Uh No, he's really fun, really talented. What kind of player are NFL teams getting if they take Dylan Gabriel?
Speaker 14: I mean you get a person before anything, you know, someone that came in in the spring or came in the winner and had everybody gel together by spring, you know what I mean. Obviously as a team on the field, we were still coming.
Speaker 5: Along, but we all got along. And I feel like that's where it all starts.
Speaker 14: And the brotherhood that he embodied and continued to just it just started to transcend, you know what I mean, in terms of his character, and I mean that just goes to it just goes to show you Like why it translated on the field during the season is because of the way that he allowed us to get to know him and him starting to get to know us. But I mean, you're getting someone that shoot slangs the rock, you know, and someone that is a true field general and knows how to run an offense through and through.
Speaker 1: So thirteen days left until the NFL Draft, What if anything do you have left in terms of workouts visits still on your plate here between now and draft Day.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I have a few visits left and then I don't have a whole lot of zooms or stuff anymore, but I have a few visits and just gonna be grinding getting ready.
Speaker 2: Well, we appreciate you being here, Josh.
Speaker 1: Not gonna have to wait too long on draft day to hear it name cal so you can't wait to see in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Man, appreciate it. Let's do us again.
Speaker 4: Hey, I appreciate you guys for having me on the New Orleans Saints. Now a major question at the quarterback position. As I reported earlier tonight, Derek Carr is facing a significant shoulder injury has a decision to make in his future after consulting with medical personnel and getting several tests, and there is a possibility that he does not play in the twenty twenty five season, which, as the Saints going to this draft gives them even more questions to answer. For help on that, I'll bring in our good friend Cam Wolf. Cam thank you for joining us on the Insiders. As far as the New Orleans Saints go at the quarterback position, yes, of course they have questions surrounding Derek Carr, but they also have the number nine pick of this upcoming NFL Draft.
Speaker 3: What are their options there?
Speaker 9: Well, first, Ian, huge news from you on the injury front on Derek Carr, and the Saints, from what I understand, have already been doing significant homework on this quarterback class at number nine, and if it goes how we expect with cam Ward at one, then maybe Shador Sanders is a top option for them with that number nine pick.
Speaker 3: They've done substantial homework on him.
Speaker 9: They sent their quarterback coach, Scott Tolzine to see him throw at Colorado's pro DAE. I'm told they had scouts, multiple scouts at Colorado throughout the season to watch him play. And it's interesting because one stat that'll stand out through draft the Saints have not drafted a quarterback in the first or second round in fifty four years, since Archie Manning in nineteen seventy one. And so it's a team that just does not invested the resources in it. But they this feels like the year if any and so they have a decision. Do they go about and pull the trigger on a Shador Sanders or a Jackson Dart or do they wait till twenty twenty six where Arch Manning may be an option there at quarterback for them as a team.
Speaker 3: That's going to be something they do their homeworking.
Speaker 9: They you guys had Sanders on The Insiders yesterday in a great interview there he talked about changing a franchise. The Saints are a team that needs some juice, needs some hope, all things that Sanders brings as accurate quarterbacks, as a brand, as a person. So maybe it is perfect timing. And if it's not Sanders, maybe it's Jackson dark who they also have.
Speaker 3: Done homework on.
Speaker 9: They were at his pro dae at Ole Miss their head coach Kellen Moore, their offensive coordinat Doug Nismeyer, and their quarterback cut Scott Tolzene. They also had Tyler Shuck and the Louisville quarterback for a visit, I'm told today. And so this is a Saints team that is preparing for the future, and that timeline may have been expedited even more with the Derek Carr News.
Speaker 3: Great analysis.
Speaker 2: Cam.
Speaker 4: Let's go to the team in your backyard and I let's say a somewhat familiar name for those who follow the Miami Dolphins. Mason Taylor, a tight end prospect in this upcoming NFL draft. Tell me why you're talking about him and the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a cool story.
Speaker 9: Mason Taylor's the sun of Hall of Famer Jason Taylor, and he visited the Dolphins on a visit yesterday.
Speaker 3: He's a guy who's one of the top tight ends in this draft.
Speaker 9: From what I've been told, he could go anywhere from laden the first round to the middle of the second round, and the Dolphins are a team that has a second round pick at forty eight.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's an option there.
Speaker 9: His uncle is also Zach Thomas, who was a legend for the Dolphins too, and so it would be a cool story if something like that happened in a reunion. But he's a guy who's got a lot of interest from teams throughout this draft process. So I'm told he has a visit with the Cleveland Browns scheduled for Monday, and that's a team that also has an early second round pick. He visited the Seahawks and visit the Charger. So while those of us at home are feeling a little old scene highlights of Jason Taylor and now knowing his son's coming in, his son's going to be able to create his own legacy. He's a guy who had a lot of success as a pass catcher at LSU.
Speaker 3: He really wanted to shoot, show that he could block.
Speaker 9: He had twenty eight bench press reps at his pro day ran a four to sixty five. And so he could be a guy that here's his name called earlier than people expect. So the Saints also another team that has interested in Mason Taylor. I'm told maybe he doesn't go too far as well.
Speaker 4: And Mason Taylor would be a big time prospect, regardless of what his last name is. Certainly adds to the intrigue cam. Thank you as always for joining us, excellent stuff.
Speaker 1: The countdown is on for the twenty twenty five NFL Draft, presented by bud Light Watch all seven rounds across three days live April twenty fourth, or twenty six with NFL Network Draft coverage presented by Verizon, also streaming on NFL Plus and on ESPN, ABC and ESPN Deportees. Subscription required for NFL Plus. Take a look at Bucky Brooks's top five offensive lineman in this draft. Tyler Booker Donovan Jackson, both of this as the interior offensive lineman. Gray's Abel the latest North Dakota State product checking in right there at number three. Tom Pila Sarrow and he Rappaport back with you, Ian, You've been pitching something for about a week and a half after you wanted to see make this show, take it away.
Speaker 11: And here we are.
Speaker 4: So Gray's Abel is considered to be the top center in this strap show, only one of the top guards. Also a great athlete that did some digging. Reached out to his agent, Chase Callahan and said, was he a pitcher in high school?
Speaker 3: I heard he was.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 4: This guy can bring it low nineties some big time.
Speaker 3: He I mean, look at these clips that we got.
Speaker 4: That is the motion's great hooks like a great athlete. We can't hear the sound, but people are going ooh, I mean this is a baller and also plays football.
Speaker 1: By the way, twenty nineteen at Pierce South Dakota High School. Point six' EIGHT era averages one point six strikeouts per inning in thirty one. Innings pitch also works out on the. Farms you want a baseball, player a, farmer hand it offensive, line graysier.
Speaker 2: Guy see You.
Speaker 1: Monday, everybody