Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what is happening in the White House, the crumbling world what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis. This episode, I'm joined by Mia Wong, James Tout, and Robert Evans. We're covering the week of July thirtieth August seventh. Robert, what is Texas?
Speaker 3: So the original root word of the state's name is Tejas, which means friendship, a thing that no one in Texas has ever known, because it's the angriest meana state in the country. That's that's Texas.
Speaker 2: Garrison up for some stiff competition these days, up for some stiff competition, but it's still it's still holding out, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Everything's bigger in Texas, Garrison's It's famed as being the second or third worst state that borders New Mexico, so you know, rarefied company. Really it can compete with all of the states bordering New Mexico except for Colorado. The state's bordering New Mexico except for Colorado are Oklahoma and Arizona and Texas, so not high bars.
Speaker 4: Texas has some of the finest abt and breakfasts that I've ever stayed in, that's right, including one with a deeply disturbing basement.
Speaker 3: Okay, just because they had one torture basement, James. So we're talking about Texas right now because a bunch of the Democratic state legislators just fled the state for Illinois, I believe, is how the name of the state has pronounced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's French.
Speaker 1: It's French.
Speaker 2: It's French fact check for real Illinoian wrong.
Speaker 4: Disposed fact checks by real Illinoyance.
Speaker 3: So when you've got a legislature of pretty much any type, at least in the US, I'm sure there's other countries that don't do it this way, but you need what's called a quorum in order to actually do anything, which means of the total number of elected members of the legislature, you need a certain number of them. Otherwise you can't like do anything because there's not enough people there in order to to actually have it be a valid vote. And I probably don't have to explain the reasonings why. There's some pretty obvious reasons why you'd want it to work this way. But there are, however, some downsides to it. You know, potentially you can be depending on whether or not your side is doing it. It's a downside or an upside, right, which is that if you have a side that is the minority in the government and they don't want a vote to go through, they can just bounce. And if they bounce at the right time, before the legislature has been called and like no one's there, then you can't get a quorum and nothing can get done. And this is big news right now because in order to stop a redistricting vote, a bunch of Democratic legislators have fled. But this is a thing that has been going on for well over a century, and it is a thing that both sides of the aisle have engaged in with substantial regularity. I'm not an expert on any of this. The earliest example I can find of anyone doing this is in Texas, and I'm not saying that means it's the earliest example of anyone in the US doing this, But the earliest example I found in my research was from eighteen seventy. So there's an article on this in that by the Texas State Historical Association called Understanding the Rump Senate of the twelfth Texas Legislature and the rump Senate is a term applied to the fifteen radical Republican members of the twelfth Texas Legislature who fled in eighteen seventy to stop a vote on a militia bill. And this bill gave the governor power to declare martial law. It gave him the power to establish a state police force. It increased the appointed power of the governor, a bunch of stuff that's not all that interesting to us today because governors, like every state does this today, right, Like there's state police everywhere. Every state governor has the power to call a militia, you know, a national guard or whatever. Like this is not controversial today, but it was back then. And it's important that I note that while it was fifteen radical Republicans who fled in eighteen seventy, those were conservatives, right, Like the radical Republicans were conservatives in eighteen seventy, right, So this is kind of a reverse if you're just sort of looking at things from a liberal or conservative point of view, This is kind of a reversal of what's happening right now in Texas, although it's happened a lot of other times since right, So this is eighteen seventy, and I should note it didn't succeed right. This is, however, one of the fairly rare times when this kind of thing happens. If it goes on long enough, every time, the governor basically will declare an arrest warrant for the legislators who have left. And as a general rule, this does nothing, right, Like, the governor has the ability to find them a certain amount per day, and it has the ability to call out an arrest warrant, but it's not like a real arrest warrant. Like if you murder a guy and then lead to another state, an arrest warrant will be issued that law enforcement in that state has to abide by. Right, because you murdered somebody, this is not a real crime. Basically, if you flee back, if you wind up back in the state that you left, you can be taken into custody by law enforcement in the state, but they can't leave the state to get you. And almost I would say, like ninety percent of the time when something like this happens, nobody actually gets arrested. However, in eighteen seventy, several Conservative members were held under arrest for like three weeks until the Senate could.
Speaker 1: Pass the legislation.
Speaker 3: So, as is usually the case whenever stuff like this happens, it only succeeded in kind of delaying the inevitable. It didn't succeed in actually stopping things. And this has happened a number of times in Texas. Most recently Texas Democratic lawmakers broke quorum in twenty twenty one. And I want to quote here from an article in ABC News, quote Texas state lawmakers left Brookquarman twenty twenty one when Democratic House representatives fled Texas to prevent measures restricting voting options. The measures eventually passed after internal democratic fissures led to enough representatives returning to form a quorum. And this is the kind of thing where Governor Abbott allowed the sergeant of Arms, or commanded this target of arms to arrest the members within Texas. Weirdly enough, a couple of them did return. The first was Philip Cortes, who like briefly came back to Austin to handle personal business and there was a civil arrest warrant signed, but then he fled the state again before he could be arrested. There were warrants signed for the fifty two remaining absent legislators, but law enforcement didn't arrest or detain anybody. Eventually, enough Democratic legislators came back into the state for like personal reasons. Some of them had like shit to handle, like in their own life. Some of them had other things they wanted to push through in terms of like legislature, and so they were like, I guess I'll come back and let this happen. And eventually the House reached quorum and this past Democrats did not face the five hundred dollars a day fine that they'd been threatened by the governor, and nobody was arrested. Now, I've been talking about Texas here, but this happens all over the place. In fact, when this story first broke, the immediate thing I thought back on was what happened very recently in the state of Oregon, and has happened a couple of times in the state of Oregon.
Speaker 2: You know mine too. They do this all the time, they do this a lot.
Speaker 3: But yes, this is a common thing in Oregon. It has started, and this is both parties have done this. I should note, right, both Democrats and Republicans in Oregon, as in Texas have done walkouts.
Speaker 2: They don't even have to leave the state. They don't even have.
Speaker 3: To leave the state, although they have recently. This seems to have started an Oregon I think in the nineteen seventies. There's actually a really good article that's hit like an overview of a bunch of different states history of doing this in Oregon Central Oregon Daily News. Although it's an ap press article, so I guess Central Oregon Daily just is licensing this thing. But anyway, in Oregon, the most recent case of this happening was in twenty twenty three, after Republican staged a six week boycott, which is the longest so far in Oregon legislature history, over a rule a law of the Democratic Party was pushing to protect abortion rights the right to gender firming care for transgender people. This again did not succeed. This was passed in the legislature and there were actually some consequences, although it hasn't been enough time to see how serious there will be. Because there was a different GOP walkout over climate change legislation which also failed in twenty twenty two, and as a result of that twenty twenty two walkout, voters approved an amendment to the state constitution in Oregon which barred lawmakers from getting re elected if they had more than ten unexcused absences in a single annual legislative session, and as a result of the walkout the next year over abortion rights in gender firming care, ten Oregon Republican lawmakers were barred from seeking re election again. As I stated, this is something that very rarely actually does anything. There's a twenty twenty one case in New Hampshire where Democrats walked out in protest of an anti abortion bill. The Republican House speaker locked the doors to maintain a quorum. I'm going to quote from the Central Ark and Daily article, sucking the doors right now so that everybody in the chamber will stay in the chamber. Shout at House Speaker Sherman Packard, who later refused to let Democrats back in to vote on the bill. It's just fucking like representative politics is just snol children shouting at each other. I want them to fight with canes. They should be fighting with King.
Speaker 4: Agreed, give them nerfs, give them give them all enough, let them fight it out.
Speaker 3: I would say ninety percent of the time nothing is, at least from the reading I've done, nothing is achieved except for a delay, which is not to say that that's nothing. And also I do believe, like in the case of the Democratic Party, I don't think what the Texas Democrats are doing will stop the redistricting. Like the Republicans are going to win this fight. It's worth fighting. Yeah, I'm glad they're fighting it. However, very rarely is the actual law stopped or is anything but a delay achieved. One of the rare cases in which something more was achieved is in twenty eleven, in Wisconsin, Democratic state senators fled to Illinois as a protest against Governor Scott Walker. He was attempting stript public workers of their union rights. Yeah, and this, you know, this walkout was staged at the same time as a mass pro union demonstration at the capitol, and after several weeks they won a partial victory. Republicans weakened the legislation, which is like significant, right, like the fact that they actually got concessions over this, and sometimes the delay can be significant. The same year that that all went down in Wisconsin, Indiana Democrats also left for.
Speaker 4: For whatever reason ILLINOI is where you go if you're doing this, No on wants to come get you know, wants to go. No one's coming to Illinois.
Speaker 3: It's I'd been to fuck Illinois and sorry, Illinois is the hero of this story.
Speaker 1: We love you Illinois.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chicago's five, Chicago's fied for whatever reason. This is the state you go to if you're a Democrat doing this in the modern era.
Speaker 4: If you're in Wisconsin, it's not a far away I guess.
Speaker 3: Well, this is Indiana too, and also not very far away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's also not far Yeah, they couldn't make it to California.
Speaker 3: You know, it's further now that Texans are doing it. Yeah, but Indiana Democrats left in two that an eleven to prevent Republican law that would have stopped unions from levying mandatory fees on union members, which would kind of make could potentially make it impossible to do a union because nobody wants to pay for a union. But everyone wants won right, Yeah, every worker does.
Speaker 1: You want the union protecting you.
Speaker 3: You don't want to have to give up your money, So it's the kind of thing you could I think the Republican plan was use the natural greed that people have in order to hamstring unionizing efforts.
Speaker 2: Many such cases, and.
Speaker 3: The Democrats left, which left the House short of its quorum, and threatened to stay in the other states until they were promised that the bills would not be called. Republicans successfully passed the bill, but they had to wait until the next year. So again, every now and then you ECO win out here or the site doing this eeks out a win, and everyone does it, and everyone has been doing it for more than one hundred and fifty years. Nothing about this is new, with the exception of the fact that they actually look to be pushing some serious legal consequences. The most I've been able to find in the history of this is what happened in eighteen seventy where a number of people were arrested and held in custody for a few weeks. Usually no one is arrested, and usually the fines aren't even actually levy. Right now, this does cost money. The last Texas walkout, Texas Democrats were spending like ten grand a day on food and board, you know, paying for their hotels or whatever, which was I think Beato Ol'roor raised most of the money through his pack, which is what.
Speaker 2: Covered it a few hundred grand, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like six hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: So you know this does cost money to do because you've got to put these people up. But generally you're not really hiding them. And generally the legal consequences are more of a threat than a reality.
Speaker 2: Right, and that might not be true in this most recent year.
Speaker 3: Yes case, yes, and we're going to throw to you, Garrison, but first, you know who does force serious life changing legal consequences on people.
Speaker 4: Jay Pritzk.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the products and services that support this podcast, which are entirely we're actually backed entirely by JB.
Speaker 2: Pritzker from your mouth to God's ears, Robert not like knowingly I stole his debit card, and boy, that guy has a high daily spending let me tell you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he has a lot of shadow companies.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Thanks JB. Please don't change your password to your online bank. Garrison, Hi, we're back.
Speaker 2: So, as Roberts said, Republicans in the Texas legislature are trying to jerrymander Texas to increase their total power over the state, proposing a redistricting map that would add five more Republican seats and in an effort to prevent or delay this. This past Sunday, sixty two Texas Democrats have fled to Illinois to deny quorum in the Texas House, and only twelve need to return in order for the redistricting to go through, with the main goal right now being trying to stay out of the state until November. In terms of consequences, new House rules adopted back in twenty twenty three after the twenty twenty one quorum, I can impose a five hundred dollars fine per day for missing lawmakers, not just from the governor.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: On Monday, the Texas House Republicans voted to issue civil arrestaurants for the lawmakers, empowering the Sergeant of Arms and the Texas State Troopers to locate, apprehend, and transport the rogue legislators back to the capitol. Governor Greg Abot announced he had mobilized the Texas Department of Public Safety to return the Democrats to the chamber. Now, these warrants really only apply within state lines. These are civil warrants. They're not facing criminal charges though. Back in twenty and three, during a similar quorum break due to gerrymandering efforts, federal resources were used to track planes with suspect did rogue Democrat lawmakers, and Abbott has already proposed trying to declare their House seats vacant if they do not return, a tactic which would probably prompt some lengthy legal battles and require new special elections to take place to fill the seats. So that still would like delay this process. That's not a quick solution. But there has been some breaking news as of this morning recording Thursday. On Thursday morning, Texas Senator John Corbin announced that the FBI would now be investigating and working to locate the Texas House Democrats, saying in a press release, quote, I thank President Trump and Director Patel for supporting and swiftly acting on my call for the federal government to hold these supposed lawmakers accountable for fleeing Texas. We cannot allow these rogue legislators to avoid their constitutional responsibilities unquote. So the extent of the FBI's involvement in tracking, down, locating, or apper the Democrats is currently unknown. The FBI has declined to comment, but this is something that's going to develop in the next week, which.
Speaker 1: They always do when ongoing case is.
Speaker 3: Like sure if you email or whatever the FBI about any ongoing case.
Speaker 1: This is what they do, period. It's been their policy for forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it doesn't tell you anything, just saying that in terms of, like, we do not know what the extent of their involvement is going to be at this point, right, yeah, right, and they might not even know either. Yeah. This could just be a tech cashpitel TikTok.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a good chance they're internally scrambling to like, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 2: Like, this would be unprecedented sending a federal law enforcement arm to physically apprehend and return lawmakers. That is certainly an escalation from using like federal resources to track planes like they did in twos and three. This would be a whole new ballgame.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: As I noted, it's uncommon for them to be arrested inside the state by the sergeant at arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, I mean, like arrest just means you know, you'd like accompany them back to the capital or force them to return to the capital.
Speaker 1: You're staying here, You're not going to leave to the state.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've got a guy called Sogant Arms involved. It's not serious, but even that's purely uncommon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I like most corm breaks fail because legislators just choose to return, whether to do personal business, whether to do political business. It takes a lot of discipline to not return to your home for a period of like three to six months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get stuff to do.
Speaker 3: Most people, a lot of people have what are called familize famali's something like.
Speaker 4: That for media.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it's a new concept. Yeah, we're still working at kool Zone to get a handle on it. We'll have a report on whatever that is.
Speaker 1: So don't worry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've got to get back to the policule or whatever. But they haven't violated a federal law right lately.
Speaker 2: No, so federal, they'ven't violated a Texas law.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, it's not a law.
Speaker 3: It is literally the governor saying I'm sending guys for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is some old timey parliamentarian shit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and like you know, as I was saying, it's like again, it is on. This could just be a cash hotel TikTok op.
Speaker 1: But also I hate the way that sounds.
Speaker 4: I what a fucking way to describe our federal law enforcement.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a hinge.
Speaker 6: This is genuinely okay, I'm gonna take a very very slight detour, which I said this before. But also, like, the thing that gives me the most hope about all of this is that, like, look, they found the right winger to put in charge of the American secret police, and he doesn't want to do his job because he just wants to be a podcaster.
Speaker 3: Hey, understand, you make me director the FBI, and I promise to be more or less the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But you know, but if this is actually a thing right and federal agents is only grabbing lawmakers out of Illinois.
Speaker 3: That is that's a big deal. Yeah, it's a massive escalation.
Speaker 2: And that's why, as people fully supported by pritz Chris private militia, we will be on the frontline defending the Texas lav makers. That's right, saluting the Chicago flag.
Speaker 7: M hm.
Speaker 3: Yes, As as Governor, Pritzker recently stated blood for the blood gods, skulls for the skull throne.
Speaker 1: Classic Pritzker.
Speaker 6: And did you need to do some Pritzker not even slander here, So just fuck you, tiny bit of fuck you Pritzker news, which I was gonna talk about a little bit anyways later, but U Pritzker has basically allowed a bunch of hospitals in Chicago to stop covering gender firmacare for minors, even though it's like illegal under Illinois state law.
Speaker 2: So fuck him for that, eat shit.
Speaker 6: Yeah we we we will unfortunately oppose the Kannie of the Great Plains.
Speaker 3: And what's the reasoning there? Has he given any.
Speaker 2: He was just like, oh, well they're gonna lose funding.
Speaker 3: Ah, oh no, it is over yeah, okay, yeah, it's so, it is over the threats.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, a number.
Speaker 3: Of states have been have been something similar is brewing in Oregon right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've we've yeah, this has been happening Oregon. We we just had an episode about people resisting this in Pennsylvania. This will be a continuing and ongoing struggle. But I fuck you Pritzker, eat shit.
Speaker 2: Like I do have two science stories for this middle segment here. First one, I'm gonna call on everyone's I don't know, probably my least favorite Kennedy RFRF Wow controversial. Yeah, there's a lot of bad Kennedy's.
Speaker 8: After reviewing the science and consulting top experts at NIH and FDA, HHS has the termine that mRNA technology poses more risks than benefits for these respiratory viruses. That's why, after a extensive review, BARTA has begun the process of terminating these twenty two contracts totaling just under five hundred million dollars to replace the troubled mRNA programs, we're prioritizing the development of the Sayer broader VACS strategies.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure thing, sure thing, mister Kennedy. Oh Jesus fucking Christ.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sounds true, and not like we're throwing away a holy grail of medical miracles.
Speaker 2: Literally won the Nobel Price. Yeah yeah, yeah, So this is this is some devastating news where he is is removing twenty two contracts researchers and universities that are developing new mRNA vaccine technology. And earlier in that video, so I'm not going to play because it's just him basically lying, but he was lying about how mRNA technology has been ineffective against upper respiratory infections because it only targets a single protein which not only becomes obsolete due to mutations, but actually accelerates the mutation process and prolongs pandemics. This is not true. You can know no, it's not true. This is not true. And one of the most unique aspects of m RNA technology is that the vaccines can be developed at a much faster pace to be deployed against mutations. And if a vaccine is not does not one hundred percent prevent an infection, that doesn't mean they still won't, like decrease the severity of symptoms. He is trying to cote his his decades decades long like anti vaccine advocacy in this like scientific language while actually just like stripping away all of the funding and removing access to two vaccines. And this is stuff that he promised not to do. In his confirmation hearings. He said that he would not take away vaccines yep. And he would not change who's on the vaccine advisory panels. He has done both of those things so far. Two months ago, he fired all seventy members of the advisory panel. I talked with Cave about this, and he replaced them with eight anti vaxxers. And not only did he remove a multi billion dollar contract from Deurna to continue mRNA vaccine research, he now canceled these twenty two other contracts totally five hundred million dollars of technology. People are going to die and get sick because of these changes, yes, yeah, which doesn't just affect like COVID and the flu, so it also affects all of the other ways that mRNA technology can be utilized. A lot of these research projects are about expanding the possible use of this technology beyond upper respiratory infections. So this sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is real bad ITV.
Speaker 2: I am very nervous about the development of the HIV vaccine and cancer vaccines, things that we were getting so close to now being put into jeopardy because this fucking clown is in charge of Health and Human Services.
Speaker 4: A ton of this is wor I've done at the salkans Gean San Diego, Achile.
Speaker 2: It was reported earlier this week that some Republicans and Trump himself might actually not be happy about this. And Trump has a meeting scheduled with RFK Junior today to discuss these cancelations, so we'll see where that goes. In some other science news, Sean Duffy, interm NASA administrator who also is the Secretary of Transportation, who directed his employees to prioritize funding in grants towards towards demographics with high marriage rates. He announced that he was expediating plans to launch and operate a one hundred kilowatt nuclear reactor for the Moon.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 3: Look, there's a lot of people living on the Moon and power outages have been a constant problem there, Garrison, if this science fiction novel from the nineteen sixties is accurate.
Speaker 2: I talk with a friend of mine who is an anonymous NASA contractor. She gave a quote, quote I need a cigarette unquote.
Speaker 1: Great, because he just got fucked.
Speaker 6: It's also worth noting that all of this is coming in the context of the largest really like the largest cuts in the history of American science across the board to anything that's actually like I'm gonna get's remotely doing science, Like yeah, sorry, I just I just want to go on.
Speaker 2: Especially space science, like Duffy's trying to manufacture this new space race and prioritize like manned Moon, all while cutting at least fifty percent all NASA science missions and just like absolutely crippling NASA's capacity to actually develop technology. Now, Duffy said at a press conference, and seeing this new directive on Tuesday, quote we are in a race to the moon, a race with China to the moon, and to have a base on the moon, we need energy. Unquote. Is that fucking nineteen fifty talk? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: And that's the time when the greatness happened to Garrison. They want to get back to that.
Speaker 2: The NASA contractor I spoke with said quote, NASA is already down at least twenty percent of its workforce and behind on its previously announced to lunar missions and objectives see the Lunar Gateway and Artemis three. I just don't immediately see a world where NASA does this successfully, even if they go the route of contracting it out. If the success, specifically the lack thereof of the commercial Lunar Payload Services Program and the commercial LEEO Destinations program, has any indication for how this will go, it will be mirrored in failure and many years behind schedule at best. Unquote. This new NASA directive from Shan Duffy calls for a fission Surface Power Program executive to be named by the end of August, whoill then implement yes, yes, who will then impleant and oversee the project while reporting directly to the NASA Administrator. The directive reads, quote, since March twenty twenty four, China and Russia have announced, on at least three occasions a joint effort to place a reactor on the Moon by the mid twenty thirties. The first country to do so could potentially declare a keepout zone, which would significantly inhibit the United States from establishing a planned Artemis presence if not their first unquote. And this is I think a big part of why Duffy is wanting to do this, and the contractor I spoke to said quote, If they're able to extend some quote unquote exclusion zone around a reactor on the surface where other countries aren't allowed to land, it's not difficult to imagine that they may try to use this to de facto claim areas of the Moon for the United States unquote.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, we have colonized the Moon.
Speaker 2: And there is even more troubling use cases. Part of the directive reads that this would quote encourage dual use civil and defense operational architectures, Yes, for deployed fission surface power systems in coordination with interagency partners.
Speaker 4: Moon base unquote. Space force finally getting its moment in the sun on the Moon.
Speaker 6: I guess this really is just like the pure unspeakable tragedy is unspeakable first version of colonialism, because it's like the moon is the one place that is actually Tyrannullis and there's nothing there and there's nothing to gain from being there.
Speaker 2: There's just nothing. But you know, we got to colonize it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the sun ever sets on the American Empire if you've got the moon on it as well, so you got that going for you.
Speaker 2: It's just just it's just a pure drive of colonialism detached from its actual like material motives.
Speaker 4: Having failed to gain Greenland, we will pivot and take the Moon instead.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, the Moon and Greenland are both similarly habitable territories, so.
Speaker 4: It's true, but you can't do backflips in Greenland.
Speaker 2: So like, this is the plot of despicable meat.
Speaker 6: Like that's what we're doing here, We're doing the plant of despicable meat.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Many science fiction movies have predicted this, Please send them all to us.
Speaker 3: Yes, as was noted by Robert Heinland, the moon is indeed a harsh mistress.
Speaker 1: Wait, what is that I hear? Is that the tariff songs.
Speaker 10: Jazz, rock jazz po sorry, rocking.
Speaker 3: Jazz, ah god, every time, every time, it's good.
Speaker 2: Let's talk tariff tariffs. There are so many of them.
Speaker 6: The tariffs have gone into effect, So all right, we're gonna do a full episode about this on Monday, because there is so much tariff bullshit that it quite frankly needs its own actual episode in which we're gonna be talking about shit like, for example, the US has maybe on accident, maybe on purpose, recognized the junta me and mar is a legitimate government.
Speaker 2: Do the tariffs stuff.
Speaker 6: We'reking about that on Monday because we don't have time for that, Shita.
Speaker 2: What we instead have time for is.
Speaker 6: The just massive array of tariffs on a list of countries so long that we just genuinely can't read them.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 6: Okay, this is a very very confusing raft of tariffs. In a lot of ways, it's simpler than the other ones. But okay, so so Persian And if the US runs a trade deficit with you and you're not also in one of the other special categories where we have imposed a really high tariff on you, it's like fifteen percent. If we have a trade surplus with the country we imposed a ten percent tariff.
Speaker 2: This doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 6: Sure, Okay, So it's like in terms of the state of motives of the tariffs, it doesn't make any sense except in terms of like raising money, which these raised very little actual money relative to like the amount of money.
Speaker 2: The US spends.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: Right wing commentators have stated that the end goal of this massive tariff program is to abolish income tax because we can fund the government through tariffs. Actually great, yeah, I just know that. No, you can't like this, No, this.
Speaker 4: Is just yeah. At the same time, it said driving the deficit into the fucking sky, like yeah.
Speaker 6: And we've talked about the sort of riffs that this has caused, with like the sort of true believer deficit hawks versus these just completely unhinged fund the government with tariff weirdos. But Comma, there have been a huge number of countries. Then now we have fifteen percent tariffs on we've also gotten a formal like announcement of the one hundred percent tariffs on semiconductors unless you invest do some kind of certificant investment in the US. It's deeply unclear what the fuck that means. Uh, Apple hasn't pledged to invest one hundred billion dollars in the US. There's this very very weird thing on the right where like they just they think that you can make iPhones here. You can't. You just simply cannot. We you don't have the labor force, you do not have the technology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Tim Cook did just bribe Trump with a.
Speaker 4: Nice plate of gold in the iPhone, a big old ingot of gold.
Speaker 1: So I thought it was a gold iPhone.
Speaker 2: There was some glass involved as well, No, it was it was it was a plate that was on like a gold like brick base. I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the way we do it. Now, we're exactly decided under the radar.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 2: You have to bribe the supreme ruler by giving gifts of gold to grand good favor.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it's like fucking smoke whatever. Like it has this pile of gold that he's going to be sitting on. It's going to be Scrooge mcducking in that ship by the end of four years.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't get us started on ducktails. Oh no, no, no, no cure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll really inflate the length of this episode.
Speaker 4: That's what they call a layup in in sports ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the tear us up to?
Speaker 6: They're calling me the fucking Wembin y'all, fucking a fucking inflation shop blocking Fuck this we're talking about. We're talking about ship infrastructure. People have been trying to develop like the infrastructure developed ships for a long time now. The Biden administration did this. The Chinese government isn't boring a bunch of money into it. And it's basically impossible to actually develop domestic ship infrastructure other than the kinds of infrastructure that he US already has. Because the really short version of it is that it's not just a technological problem, and it is it's really hard to actually develop the technology. This is why almost all of the direct production stuff there trying to replicate basically just happens in Taiwan. It's not just a problem of the technology is really hard. It's a problem of the machines to make. The machines that you need to make these things exist in like one place in the world, in Switzerland, right. So in order to actually scale up production of this, which is woild, is in theory what these one hundred percent imported semi conductor tariffs are supposed to do. Right, You have to go up three layers of the supply chain, you have to make the machines that make the machines that make the machines that make the semi conductors.
Speaker 2: Right, that's like the simplest way to explain it. We don't. We can't fucking do that. Like Apple could throw a fucking hundred billion dollars that what that would do?
Speaker 1: Shit?
Speaker 6: Right, So they're chasing just a ghost. But you know, our entire sort of like trade policy is just being run by the just weird, fascist, miasmic phantoms of all of these trade policy people. Now, it's also worth noting that there's been you know, another I guess kind of that's been enacted. Other than hilariously, the countries that tried to negotiate what Trump got worse rates than the ones who just waited until he imposed fifteen percent rate.
Speaker 4: Generally, that's kod it's funny.
Speaker 6: But also so Trump has been threatening anyone who buys oil from Russia and also I think Venezuela, though it has been less for US on that with fifty percent tariffs. Right now he's threatening India with fifty percent tariffs because India has been buying oil from Russia that India's tariffs are currently a twenty five percent. He is also just straight up imposed to fifty percent tariff on Brazil for refusing to release Bolsonaro. There's been some updates on that front where Lula is just straight up refusing to do direct talks at the US. Lula had an exclusive interview with Reuters where he said, quote, we had already pardoned the US interventions in the nineteen sixty four coup, said Lula, who got his political striders. Listen, listen to the Lula episodes we did, They're very good. More more Lula quote, but this is now not a small intervention. It's the president of the United States thinking he can dictate rules for a sovereign country like Brazil. It's unacceptable. It's worth noting that this is actually a pretty massive change for like Lula specifically relations with the US. Lula actually had very good relations with George Bush. But he is writing a massive tide of of Brazilian anti American nationalism, and he's attempting to spread this tide elsewhere.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: He's been specifically saying that he's calling on organized resistance from particularly India and China, but the rest of bricks, which is a well, okay, bricks was originally a category of assets that's now kind of a vaguely a political alliance who's made members are Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. It's unclear if this will happen, I kind of I don't know, but Lula's the first person really really seriously trying to organize resistance to this outside of the EU. The EU's also under a thread of thirty percent tariffs if they don't just sort of like see the Trump's demands. But like you know, again, India also negotiated ill with the US and then immediately got their tariffs, like is now being threatened with fifty percent tariffs, so you can't negotiate with him to escape this. So I don't know, Lula, maybe this is the beginning of sort of organized, like large scale organized terraff resistance to the US being framed in this sort of like collective struggle versus the US thing. That's an interesting political trend that will be following as all of us continues. Okay, and the rest of the unhinged amount of tariff news we're going to be covering Monday, I will make a brief note that the Yale Budget Lab is estimating like like a twenty four hundred dollars increase for the average family just in terms of like inflation prices for this especially on things like clothing. They are specifically I think there's a sane article puls so they're specifically talking about running shorts and shoes and anything any goods from South Asia massively increasing in price. You're talking thirty percent increases very quickly. So yeah, Now, obviously all of this news is I don't know, the stock market has kind of like accustomed itself to tariff news. Yeah, but Comma, we've got a really really bad job support last month.
Speaker 2: And well actually, well well I don't know if that's true. I think the jobs report could be completely faked. Yeah, who can say, Jesus, if the president says it, it has to be true.
Speaker 4: A Biden did you have a Biden appointee?
Speaker 2: All crazy crazy The auto pen is issued to this job's report.
Speaker 6: So yeah, Trump, Trump has fired the Commission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics for releasing this report. We are just we are just truly fully into the deep end of shit.
Speaker 2: Now, Like the report just showed that we didn't have very positive job growths, and like anyone who's trying to get a job right now can confirm that it's like a nightmare.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we're just like we're just like fully going to be in Like, you know, it's unclear exactly how fast American data collection capacity is going to degrade. It is worth noting this is the thing that kind of happens at the end of dictatorships when they really start going to shit, is that they lose the ability to trust their own cistical apparatus.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, like anything that happens that Trump just doesn't like, you can claim it's fake and rigged, whether that's losing an election, whether that's his good close personal friend Jeffrey Epstein, or if that's a Bureau of Labor Statistics job report, it's all rigged. It's all a hope.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But to tie this back to Lula for a second, I think it's actually really a really interesting historical parallel that's worth noting that Lula's rise to political prominence came off of a series of strikes that was held because because a bunch of economists that were working with the inside the Brazilian labor unions figured out the military dictatorship of Brazil had been faking their inflation numbers, and like, this is one of the things that caused the end of the dictatorship. So you know, you can only lie about the inflation rate for so long before like someone goes like, hey, you've been lying about this the whole time, and I don't know this.
Speaker 2: This, this has brought down military kidder just before. And that's why we have to hold archive of our own accountable for faking those inflation numbers.
Speaker 1: I agree with you entirely, Garrison.
Speaker 11: I don't get paid enough for this. You've lost me not following and yeah, that has been terriff talk. You know what will continue to be available to our listeners at an excellent price despite tariffs.
Speaker 2: The products and services that support this podcast.
Speaker 4: That's absolutely correct, Garrison, Well done. All right, we're back, so bad And also back is the United Kingdom, where a poll shows that more than half of Britain's think there are more migrants in the UK illegally than legally.
Speaker 2: This isn't true, No, but feelings matter way more than facts.
Speaker 4: Je failings matter. They yes, they do. The actual data even at the highest estimate of undocumented people shows that this around ten times more foreign people who are in the UK with documents. This is indicative of a broader issue, right that the discussions having around immigration are nearly all based on massive amounts of misinformation. Misinformation by a mission was extremely common in legacy media until very recently, right like, there was simply not people covering immigration in a serious fashion, Like even in the Biden administration, the reporting that was done was atrocious. This comes as the Labor government's disapproval rating in the UK hit sixty seven percent in a Yugo of pol which I think is very indicative like what Labor did, right was try to adopt right wing culture war positions to get people to vote for them, and it does not work and it is not working for them. You can look at their policies towards trans people right there, and it's not buying them to favor they wanted to moving back to the United States. Yon sou Go, she's called Sue by her friends. It has been released by Ice after being detained at a routine hearing. A twenty year old young woman as a Korean national South Korean evidently right and the daughter of a priest so she's here on a visa as a dependent of a religious worker. There are religious worker visas, and she's here as a dependent. She is I believe in the process of transitioning to a student visa. She had the hearing her case wasn't like dismissed or evoked. She had another hearing set for October. I claim that she overstayed her visa, Her lawyer says, I claim, it's not true. I'm particularly interested in this case because of the intervention of the diocese, the Episcopalian Diocese of New York, and so it was the Episcopalian Diocese of New York's legal team who fought for her release. She was very quickly moved to Louisiana. We know that is likes so do this right. It likes to move people to places where it feels like it has a favorable circuit court. The Dioceit offical team was able to secure her release, but they are still working on the release of a fifty nine year old ProView and asylum seeker who has been detained after having her court date moved up. So in her CASEY said, hey, we've got a hearing that's opened up. When don't you come in on Thursday and then detained her, which is just reprehensible. It is really good. I think that these big religious organizations are getting involved directly in these cases, that they are taking on responsibility, that they're using their pulpits as a place to oppose this. I think that's good. I think, regardless of your stance, aren't organized religion, you should be happy about that. These are institutions that have power in this country. Talking of institutions that have power, detainees in Florida's Alligator Alcatraz are being denied their right to file court documents because federal courts are claiming they're not under federal jurisdiction. State courts are claiming they're not under state jurisdiction, which is fairly reasonable given that they have not been charged with or accused of, in many cases, any crimes in the state of Florida. Right then, they're not being held. They were not detained by well, sometimes they were detained the Florida law enforcement, I guess, but only in their capacity to enforce federal immigration law.
Speaker 2: Yes, with the special deputized NAT.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's yeah, it's deputies, which we're about to talk about there have been some very funny outcomes of that. This isn't it like I've seen it report as a loophole. It's not a loophole. It's extremely fucking clear that they were detained by the federal government for immigration reasons, and they have every right to representation in immigration court right that this is not a loophole. They're just denying people their rights, and I think reporting it as a loophole is entirely ridiculous. A judge has ordered a document showing who is contracted by whom at the facility be produced as part of a civil rights lawsuit. So what that will do woul obviously document them. The fatal government it's paying some of this. I know rich DeSantis had wanted to use FEMA money for some of this breaking news. So federal Judge Kathleen Williams has ordered that construction new construction halt. They won't be allowed to do any new filling, paving, or infrastructure building for the next fourteen days temporary pause. They can still continue to hold people right, this is not going to stop those people being denied their rights, which is what sort of stake here. So we talked a little bit about those Florida deputies right who have been I guess secondid to ICE orgs. They've been crossworn to do ICE work. ICE is recruiting very heavily right now. I'm offering fifty thousand dollars sign on bonuses. It has reduced a minimum age and it seems to have no maximum age cap. From what I can tell, this Border Patrol has been issuing all kinds of waivers for years, right, for all kinds of things that it's supposed to have as like standard for its recruiting. This isn't particularly new. ICE has been known for a while. It's kind of if you want to be a FED and go around and carry a gun, and you can't get hired to do gun stuff for the Fed to other agencies, ICE is probably the place you're going to end up, right, Like their standards are lower than other agencies.
Speaker 2: And now they're like specifically selecting for the most like online unhinged right wing free to join their agency as like a national police force. Yes, and that's like what they're doing in their messaging online. And also some news this week Dean Kane has has joined ICE. Yeah, yeah, it's most likely in like a promotional capacity. But still worth noting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you might get chased by middle aged superman. So let's talk about what ICE is doing to recruit a festival. It is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on big trucks. We know Donald Trump himself, it's found a big truck, so many pictures of him enjoying big trucks. Over the years, Ice has spent one hundred and ninety six thousand dollars on Ford raptors for recruiting purposes. The raptor, for those not familiar, is like a tricked out F one fifty. They were issuing raptors to field agents for a while. They're not the best vehicles, like I've heard plenty of agents complain about the raptism. Yeah, yeah know, And the BP had a special like lowest possible trim of the raptor that like they're popular now because people will buy them used as government surplus and make them good. But they yeah, the raptors they had didn't work too well. They also bought a GMC Yukon for one hundred and one thousand dollars, which is a very expensive GMC yukon. I have also noted that ICE is recruiting from the police who have been cross sworn into doing ICE enforcement. This has resulted in some very funny beefs between agencies including can I share this video? Can I screenshare?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's that's what it's the video.
Speaker 12: And then what has happened is ICE has sent emails to I don't know how many agencies, by no, several agencies. I've talked to several sheriffs that their deputies have received these this request and basically it's a recruiting tactic. It's hey, we got your email, Now you got certified, and it's something like, dear colleague, you showed an interest in this and that, and we will let you know that we are offering a fifty thousand dollars bonus paid ten thousand dollars at a time, and it's for five years. Obviously, man, is that not you know Biden handed feeds you. We we went through all of that, took our time, utilizing our local resoort, not ours yet, but local resources.
Speaker 1: And then they try to recruit you right out from.
Speaker 12: Undery using the very emails that we give you.
Speaker 2: Finally they've found something bad. ICE is done. Yeah, this is a new low. Even for uce.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sheriff Chip simmons that calling Ice out for that poor form.
Speaker 2: Sheriff Chip finally found something that shows this true depress a compromised heart of Ice.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah. Where will they stop? Well, let's talk about where they will stop or at least start spending. Ice has been spending some money this week. Some of this I think, like some of the sort of reporting on ITFC isn't hugely responsible. So like I used to signed a sole source contract with B two Technologies for example, for quote licenses for the Inmate Identification of Recognition System and the Mobile Offender Recognition Information System. They call these IRIS and Morris based on their initials. Right, these are for ers, so that's their enforcement and removal operations brands BO two pitches. IRIS is being able to identify people with no physical contact based on the tears in their IRIS. This technology has been used by police for a while, so you'll notice it was called the inmate identification So the way they would obtain these Irish scans would be scanning people who were detained. Right. CBP will also have IRIS scans, so well, uscis right. This is one of the pieces of biometric data that's sometimes collected from migrants as part of their process and moving into the United States and then getting their documents, et cetera. What Morris will do is allow them to search a registry of previous offenders. In twenty twenty four, Niagara County Sheriff's Office were the first sheriff's office to add IRIS to their vehicles. But I feel it reported as this is as a CBP officer or ice officers are going to be scanning people's irises with their phones. I don't see any evidence of that technology existing either in the contract that the government has or on the website for the company that makes it. And guessing what this will do is if they have somebody who, for instance, has previously been detained, somebody who has done time and come out, then they will use this to like as aware of identifying them right when after they've detained them before they take them to wherever. The big issue here, right, is that B two owns this database of scans. So this database includes Morris right, which is previous people who have previous offenders. They have a sex offender registry within it. They also have databases of seniors who are at risk for going missing so that I think that's people with dementia that people can voluntarily sign up to. And they have a database of missing children as well. The A two interesting company. They also they offer a bunch of services for detention companies. They previously partnered with the support Our Sheriff's Foundation to provide lower cost prescriptions to sheriffs and deputies. They're pretty embedded in this law enforcement world. Other contracts they saw for ice new tech solutions for fingerprint scanners. Again, fingerprint information is routinely taken from migrants and many one people.
Speaker 2: Getting green cards, people getting visas, people getting citizenship.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, anyone who has in any capacity and really engaged with uscis like all those categories you mentioned, Garrison will have already done this. They did also purchase gray Key, which is more concerning, which is for breaking into cell phones locked cell phones. Yes, it's for trying to get around the lock on your cell phone. I've written about GrayKey before for Input magazine Germany. The way they do this is that they try and make a copy of the cell phone and work on a copy so you don't get locked to have of your cell phone. But grey Key is an extremely nefarious piece of technology for breaking into people's phones which you otherwise wouldn't be able to access. So yeah, that is what I have for ices spending spree this week.
Speaker 2: For our last story, I would like to also talk about technology, but technology in the news some AI incidents that have broken into people's news news gathering process. Former CNN anchor Chris Cuomo has shared a fake AI video of AOC giving a speech in Congress calling out the Sydney Sweety American Eagle ad as racist.
Speaker 1: Damn it, I got to see this. Why does it have to all be so stupid?
Speaker 9: I was tweeting today and saw a clip of AOC saying that Sydney sweeneyad was racist, and so I replied to it, and I said, why do you care about this and ignore what matters most? Why in all the times that you've called on Israel to stop, why have you never told Hamas to stop, told Hamas to surrender? Why would you ignore the Saint Louis attack on that Jewish guy who had his car bomb. AOC tweeted back and said, dude, that's a deep fake that Sidney sweetya ad. You suck in so many words, and she was right.
Speaker 2: They got me.
Speaker 1: She was right, I suck.
Speaker 4: He has been owned.
Speaker 1: That's not bad, that's pretty good. That's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just to cut off the clip there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's the right place for it to go.
Speaker 2: On this AI video of AOC, it is clearly like like in Boston into the video himself. This isn't AI video from from chat gpt memes plus AI art on Instagram.
Speaker 4: This is this guy is being elevated as a fucking journalist.
Speaker 1: Jesus wept.
Speaker 2: He later said on on Newstation on his show They Got Me Ai. It was really good and it did seem like something she would say. I'm gonna now play video in question to see if you think this is something that AOC would say.
Speaker 13: Sidney Sweeney looks like an Aryan goddess and the American Eagle jeans campaign is nazipaganda. I mean fuck watching that sultry little temptress squeeze into a Canadian text small with her bouncy little fun bags.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's oh my god, I don't know, no more, no more episode.
Speaker 3: Oh man, what a one of our greatest journalists. You know, AI really has to be you know, we've hit AGI if it can if it can crack a mind as keen as Chris Woma.
Speaker 2: It was really good and it did seem like something she would say.
Speaker 10: Good.
Speaker 6: Don't even know her voice sounds unbelievable, unbelievable, some one of the most union things I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: I didn't watch that, and then wonder why she hasn't commented on hermas in the same breath treating indication of where our country's at.
Speaker 2: That AI video is eighty seconds long. It gets so much crazier, but we don't need to say anymore. The other incident of AI in the news, former CNN Chief Whiteous correspondent Jim Acosta interviewed in AI avatar impersonating a school shooting victim.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, goodness.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things that like every town or someone was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, I caught this when it happened.
Speaker 2: Here's a video.
Speaker 9: I would like to know what your solution would be for gun violence.
Speaker 2: Great question. I believe in a mix of stronger gun control laws, mental health support, and community engagement.
Speaker 12: We need to create safe spaces for conversations and connections, making sure everyone feels seen and heard.
Speaker 2: It's about building a culture of kindness.
Speaker 1: And understanding.
Speaker 2: What do you think about that. I think that's a great idea, Joaquin.
Speaker 1: That's not even an answer. That's not an answer.
Speaker 2: This is one of the goodest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Create a culture of kindness and understanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll fix it.
Speaker 2: Thanks, incredible humanity.
Speaker 4: Not a person that's someone's child.
Speaker 2: That's not someone's child, all right, Jim Acosta.
Speaker 4: Rome is just a generic well now.
Speaker 2: It's like it's it's it's not a person.
Speaker 10: This is yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they've attempted to reanimate through cringe ji someone's kid and they look like a character in It's a small.
Speaker 2: World ycause the parents are involved in this process. Jim Acosta wrote on Blue Sky at four pm, I'll have a one of a kind interview with Hakeem Oliver. He died in the Parkland school shooting, but his parents have created an AI version of their son for a powerful message on gun violence. Unquote. You did not interview Jakim Oliver. That's that's that's not him. You did not interview that person.
Speaker 1: No, you did not. You didn't interview anybody.
Speaker 2: You have helped to spread a fake puppet of someone without their knowledge and consent, just as just as gross is doing it for like movie actors right who who have died. This is and you know, more more gross actually actually like significantly more gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it didn't even suggest like it it wasn't even like willing to be like ban AR fifteen's or whatever. Yeah, like there was no nothing suggested here, Like I can't believe how milk toast for a dead person who was killed by an AR fifteen. It wasn't even willing this. It was just like vaguely new gun control and also a culture of kindness. But like can't even be specific this ghoul that you've made.
Speaker 2: You're putting fake words in someone else's like death mask mouth y'. Yes, it's so it's so unethical, Like I don't even know what to say. It doesn't work at CNN anymore, but my god, like this is not journalism in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to like punch down on the and I don't understand, like I have no parents who have lost children right through my work, I've talked to lots of them, well, and i'd like to and I understand the desire to get your kid back in some form and if sure, whoever the fuck came to them and said, we're going to make an AI of your child so it can argue with journalists about gun control. Is a fucking ghoul perival.
Speaker 2: No, the the fault here is on the people promoting technology, and in effect, that's what Jim Acosta is doing here as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally no, because a journalist is totally irresponsible.
Speaker 2: And profiting off of it. It's so gross. So anyway, that was our AI news to close the episode. Sorry, we couldn't end on the aoc ad instead had to end on a bit of a more more sour note.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I genuinely want to know where that aoc ad goes. I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'll send it to you, James. Yeah, okay, we reported the news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: We reported the news.
Speaker 7: It could happen here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it could happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.