Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys, screaming live from the Dallas Cowboys World Tours at.
Speaker 3: The Star In Street.
Speaker 1: Patent Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's a post draft edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome into the SWBC studios, where there is some excitement, there is some frustration. There is some trash talk happening always though, but we'll get to that in the third segment. Okay, we're gonna talk about hockey later. Okay, because there.
Speaker 4: Is anything about hockey.
Speaker 2: There's an in that house. Bet I'm talking about hockey. Yeah, in the third segment. We're gonna talk about it later. So, but we do have a draft class to address. We have undrafted free agents that are now part of this Cowboys to lots of new additions to talk about over the last week.
Speaker 4: So that about the music. Can they stand the right? Yeah, we're gonna find out.
Speaker 2: Can they stand?
Speaker 4: We're gonna find out.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing I think there were a lot of really good additions through the NFL draft, but I think there might be a better edition happening on the show today.
Speaker 4: Facts so.
Speaker 2: That that watch and listen to us. You know, there's always been a fourth chair. At one point it was Rob Phillip Island and we love Rob Philip. We will always love Rob Phillips. We're still in a group message w r D late late night.
Speaker 5: It was a very late night, okay, very late right early morning, early morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we love Rob. Rob will always be a part of the show. He knows that, and I can't wait to see him this weekend. By the way, that'll be a lot of fun. But here's the thing, I still have a Christmas present. There has been there has been an empty chair for a couple of months now. Well that chair is no longer empty today what is today to Tuesday or Wednesday?
Speaker 6: Wednesday May third, We welcome for the first time ever to the Talking Cowboys group, the newest Dallas Cowboys dot com writer Nick Harris. Hey, w Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Let's go. We got like a like a w W. Let's go. Yeah, you gotta kick it off, let's go. Let's go. Okay with the first overall pig.
Speaker 2: So I am one very excited about this because I think we have a really fun group. But Nick just brings a whole nother element to this that's going to be next level kind of outline where you came from, how you got to the Cowboys, and what's on the table for you over the next few months.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I come from the recruiting world.
Speaker 8: So if y'all are big college football recruiting fans, I was working at twenty four to seven Sports and Rivals for the last four years, the last year and a half working as the national analyst for Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.
Speaker 2: So like SEC Country, Big twelve Country, a little bit of.
Speaker 8: Everything, definitely, and scouting kids from the time they're fourteen until they get to that college level and then transfer portal stuff as well, so you know, juggling all that and then you know, this opportunity with the Cowboys came up and couldn't pass down an opportunity to take up this seat, guys, So the real reason is to be.
Speaker 7: On the show.
Speaker 8: That was Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely, it was to take this chair water exactly.
Speaker 5: The thing is, we are ready to have the best podcast on the Cowboys platform. Yes, and like and now with the addition to you, it's just just unfair at this point. Is Yeah, it's like two, it's like four Usain Bolts, Like you just don't stand a chance.
Speaker 2: It's the not one, not two.
Speaker 4: Not three, just just full.
Speaker 7: Katie on the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what this is.
Speaker 7: I respect that. I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's the Infinity, the final one, the smash smash sosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one. And of course we've got Beamer in the back. We count him as a part of this show. He only belongs to this show.
Speaker 4: He doesn't belong.
Speaker 2: So Nick, thanks so much. I mean, this is gonna be fun. I can't wait to have you a part of the crew throughout talking Cowboys. But let's dive into this draft class, shall we. Because Cowboys they go out and they do good things. Not exactly what Isaiah had in mind.
Speaker 4: Last week.
Speaker 2: You said that if they didn't address the offensive line, they.
Speaker 5: Did what I what I expected him to do and what we talked about, just not in necessarily the order in which I wanted it to happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, what was the order you wanted it to happen.
Speaker 5: Well, I wanted offensive guard first, not a swing person, not to somebody who can move over. I wanted a big, nasty guy who that's all he does is play guard.
Speaker 4: That was my first one.
Speaker 5: My second one was saying that we need to go out there and get a solid tight end, and then we needed to make sure that we address the defensive line and make sure we get a run stopper. And we talked about all the other guys, adding a guy in the secondary, adding a receiver, like they did all these things.
Speaker 4: It just didn't happen in the order that I wanted it to happen.
Speaker 5: So kudos. I'm sure we'll get the grades and all that stuff. Super kudos to the front office. They have had a dog on MVP off season. They have had an unbelievable off season, not only in the free agency market, not only in trades, but also you talk about the draft, and now we talk about the post draft and the acquisitions that they had there as well.
Speaker 4: They're absolutely killing it.
Speaker 5: You're starting to see the culture that word again, right, You're starting to see that really start the transition and start to really come to fruition with this organization and it's awesome because they're not being tentative. They're not being relaxed, they're not sitting back, they're not waiting for the crumbs to fall through. Okay, they are being They're being diligent and being aggressive in terms of what they want this roster to look like.
Speaker 9: And you know what, I love the word that you chose, culture, culture, culture.
Speaker 4: Culture.
Speaker 9: Jerry Jones admitted it himself when he said that the Masi Mossie Smith pick would not have occurred nine to ten years ago. Okay, the last time the Cowboys selected a defensive tackle in the first round was Russell Maryland one in nineteen ninety one. And for those that may be too young to understand the greatness of Russell Maryland, we're not comparing him to Massi Smith, but we're saying this is how highly graded and how much the culture has changed under the two diligit Dan.
Speaker 4: Quinn as defensive coordinator.
Speaker 9: So the Cowboys are valuing positions that in recent history they haven't necessarily pre Quinn safety being.
Speaker 4: One of them.
Speaker 9: Okay, now knows tackle being one of them. Addition of Jonathan Hankins at the ahead of the trade deadline, Now you dropped in Mazzi Smith. This team, particularly this defense, was already one of the more nightmarish ones last season. But now you drop in somebody like Mazzie Smith and then you say, okay, well, whether you like the pick or not, and we'll get to the grades here shortly.
Speaker 4: And I love the pick. I'm floored. But are they going to address some.
Speaker 9: Of the other positions that they might have needed, because, like Isaiah said, because of how they handle free agency, they didn't have a ton of needs. They could truly go more so to BPA best player available in the draft, and they arguably did Schoonmaker because of the tight end run at the top of the second round. Marion overshown. The value Onduce Vaughan is just insane. So, I mean, you got that explosiveness you added to your offense, you add it to your defense. The value equation will talk about here shortly, but overall they just keep knocking it out the park.
Speaker 8: Yeah, to add another layer to the culture element. Talking to all these guys that are all really excited to be a part of this franchise, but especially the ones that came in on those thirty visits, it sounds like the thirty visits were almost like I'm gonna tap into my recruiting here, like official visits. It's what it sounds like, you know, coming in for two days, you know, the first day being able to sit down and just really learn who these guys are, and then the second day you dive into football and you know, kind of see what your fit is on the team. And you know, I think that stood out to a lot of these guys, and you know, who knows down the line when maybe one of the two of these guys that they didn't draft become free agency. Think back to that thirty visit experience, and you know that becomes a big part of it. But looking at the class, you know, I'm kind of with you, Isaiah. I think they addressed a lot of points of need, but maybe not in the order I would have expected. I would have liked an offensive lineman in the second or third round. I fully expected it to happen by the end of day two, and it didn't happen by day two.
Speaker 7: Austin Richards. I do like his versatility.
Speaker 8: I like what they will be able to bring him, bring him to the table with and maybe you know, give some guard flexibility for him. But I guess we'll just kind of see whenever that comes around. But what it was it in the order that I wanted? Maybe not, But I do like that they addressed multiple points of need and that they reversed all around the entire class.
Speaker 2: And that's that's the thing is. It goes back to what Patrick just said, Dallas addressed a lot of needs before the draft happened. You go out, you get Stephan Kilmore that that gives deftit corner. You go out and you snack Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 4: That's a starter at the wide receiver position.
Speaker 2: So you weren't you weren't pigeonholed into specific picks along the way. And I think it's a mixture of BPA in need because I don't think it was straight BPA by any stretch of the imagination, because there were better players on the board, higher ranked players on the board throughout much of their draft. Maybe not on their board. I don't think they window dressed their board, but comparatively to what we had seen, and they went for specific need. But did they go with the best player that filled that need? Absolutely? I think Luke Schoomaker is a great example of that, because they wanted Sam Laporta. They wanted Michael Mayer going into day two. They thought one of those two guys would slip after only Dalton Kincaid went on day one. So they knew going into day two, all right, tight end is going to be a big possibility here. And they felt like and they brought in Tucker Craft. They know what he brought to the table. They felt like there was a drop off off from the Kincaid, Laporta, Mayor Schoonmaker cluster of tight ends to the next cluster of tight ends. So they made the pick. They picked the tight end over a couple other positions there. So with that being said, they addressed need. But they did it with the best player available at that need at that time. And Duce Fawn is another great example of that. They had been searching for a running back all week in long Rosehawan Johnson was a name, Chris Rodriguez Junior from Kentucky was a name. Then they get down to this sixth round and they're saying, Okay, we didn't get a running back. We didn't find one. Who's the best one on the board, And at that point it was Deuce Vaughn And it just happened to work out for a great moment, outstanding.
Speaker 4: Moments, draft moments. I've ever seen him. Hard to top it, righteration.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, and for everybody that doesn't know and hasn't seen Duce Fawn, that dude is a playmaker ballder. He deserved to be in the sixth round. I had a fifth round great on him. So the fact that they've got that value and have that moment in the sixth round, I think it was one in one, just a fantastic pick. So with that being said, Isaiah, and you talk about the need and then the best player available, do you feel like there was a position that was neglected? Was it offensive line? Even though they did go get good value with awesome richards and brought him to the table.
Speaker 4: But I can't.
Speaker 2: Do you feel comfortable with the offensive line spot right now?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know the reason why I say that is because I hesitate to say that they didn't take care of business, because we are all sitting here together saying that they checked every box.
Speaker 4: Every box got checked.
Speaker 5: Okay, it may not happened in the order that we wanted, but who are we to say that the fifth round pick isn't going to play like a first round pick.
Speaker 4: Right, We don't know, right, we don't know Deron bl exactly right. So perfect is episode the.
Speaker 5: Fact that they addressed all their positional needs, needs, not once, but needs. I'm satisfied. I am, I am satisfied. Now you just got to wait and see what happens. You gotta wait and see why if you have a first rounder, that's if you have the third rounder, right, depending on what it is, it doesn't matter. You address your needs. Now you just hope that these guys show up and play ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think that the biggest crux of all of our argument in the contrary would simply be the value equation, because of the order in which these players went didn't necessarily job with the order that we as individuals and or as a group and or as Cowboys fans might have had them valued on our respective boards. So in that capacity, we then have to defer to the recent success slash failure rate of this staff, and you got to give them grace because they've earned grace. So, for example, Mazie Smith, to your point, he checks all the boxes. He's not pure BPA, but he's not pure meat. He's neat, he's quite literally both of those things, and the same could be said for Schoolmaker. And they had discussions on other running backs a chain, but by the time they got on the clock, a chain was already gone. You lost out on guys. And then here comes Duce Vaughan. He's the blinking light, right, so as the Cowboys like to refer to a guy like that. So for me, yes, I had Schoolmaker graded later late three, late day three. But the run on tight ends. What everyone needs to understand in Cowboys Nation. That's listening, and I'm assuming everybody's listening because this is the best podcast out there. Say it again, this is the best podcast out there. Is that the draft doesn't operate in a vacuum. Okay, you have to as much as you want to stay true to your board, and you do your best to do so. You also have to understand that variables outside of your control will also dictate what happens next when you're on the clock.
Speaker 4: That's a Schoolmaker pick.
Speaker 9: Schoolmaker got pulled forward in my opinion because of the run on tight ends, but I still very much like Schoolmaker as a player. So the Cowboys still got themselves a definitive player and somebody who could come in and challenge for a starting role against Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot and you love to see that happen. But to answer your question, I think the only position and I like, I assume Richards brains because I saw stat only three sacks allowed in over one thousand reps.
Speaker 4: And that's a you know, no North Carolina guy. He knows how to protect the he's playing tackle there too.
Speaker 9: Correct And Nick and I we spoke with Will McLay on yesterday in a conference call, and I specifically as McLay, is this a Tyler Smith situation where you bring a man as tackle but you commit him fully a guard in training camp? He was like, no, he's going to, you know, get reps at both. So keep keep a bit of information. I think wide receiver is still the question mark for me. That's still the question mark. There is a good, solid, solid ceiling on Jalen Brooks, the seventh round flyer pig, but we have to keep this in mind. We're talking about w R four through let's say six, Let's say seven. Let's say that carry seven because Turpin is a is a returner so you're talking about WR for through WR seven. I feel much better about that being the conversation versus a year ago when we're trying to figure out, you know, Jaylen Tobert, is he going to your wide receiver three? Yeah, right, it's a different conversation. So I'm more comfortable with that. But they're going to try to figure it out that that would be the only position. I would say that didn't necessarily get addressed completely, but I'd like to see with Jalen Bruce brings at the table.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think that's one of the bigger kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 8: I think there's a lot of questions around the wide receiver depth going deeper into the offseason and ahead of training camp, there's gonna be a lot of questions around that. You know, see me for Hooko, you know, he was a guy that looked really good at training camp last year, didn't really get to show what he could do last season. You got Jalen Tolbert, who you know many are hoping can take that next step and get and earn that wide receiver four role because when injuries happen, as we've seen in the past, need those guys to step up and you know, I think that leads right back into the offensive line situation when injuries happened, who's gonna step in? You know, if Tyron Smith gets hurt again, you know who steps in and is able to fill that versatile role. You know, you move Tyler out to left tackle or and bring in who to fill his spots.
Speaker 7: So I think there is a lot of flexibility.
Speaker 8: And we've we've talked about this a lot and in the last few days about how much versatility is in the class. You know, with a lot of the draft picks that they made, you know, Deuce being able to come out of the backfield lineup in the slot, Austin Richards having that gar tackle flexibility. We could go on and on, but I think that versatility allows them to be a little bit more flexible whenever those injuries do happen, because that's what's plagued them in the past.
Speaker 2: That's a great point because you think about what's happened toward the back half of the schedule, and this happened under Kellen Moore, and of course Kelli Moore is now in Los Angeles. But things get stagnant. We have talked about it on this show. The Big bag that Kellen Moore brought. You reach in, you try and pull out that one last toy, that one last item out of the bag, and there's nothing in there. You're just getting nothing but velvet down there. So so when that happens, We've talked about this before. It's a debate between play calling and a debate between skill sets. Did they go out and they add that skill set nick that allows them to go deeper into their bag from a play calling standpoint, by adding guys like a Douce Vaughan and Luke Schoonmaker, who can you can run behind Luke's Schoomaker. You can't run behind Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot as blockers, but Schoonmaker can lead the way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it opens up your offense in a completely different way.
Speaker 8: And I whenever I had heard that the Cowboys really wanted to go get a tight end that can help them in the run blocking game, I was like, Oh, okay, yeah, I like this different. Yeah, exactly, especially with the way Tony Pollard and Duce Vaughan can run between the tackles. I mean, we've seen Will McLay talked about it. You know, Duce Vaughn taking off for a seventy eight yard touchdown right between the tackles against Alabama. So you know him being able to do that, you know in Dallas, you know, I'm sure that's that's a big circle around their pick.
Speaker 7: It's exciting.
Speaker 9: Let me let me ask you this hypothetically speaking, here's a here's an offensive scheme, dual running back sit with duce Von and Tony Pollard in the same set. You have a two tight end, one of those tight ends, a schoonmaker who can block and catch Jake Ferguson, Ceedee Lamb, and then you got Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 7: You're we got too many on the field, right. I hope everybody check.
Speaker 4: It as to what is happening, right Kellen Moore kell with a different type of twelve.
Speaker 5: Nobody saw, there's no replay, willn't take a play. People need to pay attention to what's happening with this, With this offense, Kellen Moore is gone. Okay, Kellen Moore's aired out, throwing every single down type of guy. Give me three four receivers on the field at all times. Then you have coach coming in and he's pretty much saying that he wants to do what.
Speaker 4: Run the ball?
Speaker 5: He wants to run the ball. Okay, he backs that up in a draft by going out and getting that tight end.
Speaker 4: That does what block block.
Speaker 5: He goes out there and also grabs a running back right late pick that can have what shifty shiftiness? Right shiftiness. So now you're looking at it. These guys got the old lineman. They want to play bully ball. Don't expect to go out here and see a bunch of three receiver sets. Don't expect to see what you've seen over the past years. The offense is changing. And if you don't see that, that symmetry between the draft, what he's saying and what's happening with his roster right now, then you need to take a step back and look at it. These guys are gonna be a downhill team. What was the fullback they picked up? Lipkey, You don't just pick up fullbacks. It's not something you just do.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: McCarthy did it in Green Bay too, And what do they do?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so you're going to see two backs, You're gonna see two tight ends.
Speaker 4: You have you have two sure wide receivers.
Speaker 5: And if you want to sprinkle in the third, you have a third You're know, they're they're getting away from being dependent on having three and four solid receivers.
Speaker 4: They're getting more towards. We're gonna be solid up front.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have somebody to come downhill, and we're gonna get four yards of pop on the ground. And then when we need to, we canna run slants, we canna run double moves, we run all these things. We are going to move the chains. They're just telling you they're getting away from being dependent on having a third thing thirty five times a game. Don't expect to see the same thing you've seen in the past years and.
Speaker 9: Then want to posing defenses crashed down, Brandon Cooks over the top, ceedee lamb against changing.
Speaker 5: Do you like the change? It's consistent. It's not going to be as flashy if what I'm if what my foresight has right now, right in my little crystal ball. Okay, it's not going to be as flashy. It's going to be more long winded.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So, people like the big plays, that like the big splash.
Speaker 5: And that's cool, but that's not an exciting brand of football. It's not an exciting brand of football. But it is consistent it wears teams down, and it leaves your bag full, it leaves your back. Because you simplify the crap out of your offense, everybody doesn't have to think as much. Right, We're just out here playing, right, And then when they start changing their personnel up all of a sudden, Right, if you want to go to backs, if you want to throw a little duce out there, now you got a TP and a duce.
Speaker 4: Guess or do you need a third receiver out there?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 5: Right, I can put my I can put shoemaker out, I can put my line, but put my my tight end out there. Now, I got six offensive linemen pretty much right, I could block it up. I could sit back and I could throw it. If I need to get my guys out of the backfield, I could motion either one of those guys out the backfield, and all of a sudden, I have very viable options at the receiver position and running back position. They are trying to simplify this offense as much as possible. It's gonna pay dividends. Is watch this happening.
Speaker 9: Mike McCarthy said late last season, he made a comment that's really coming to fruition right now. When it really cements what Isaiah is saying as far as the foreshadowing for what the Cowboys offense is going to be. Mike McCarthy and a postgame press conference said, I would rather trade production for wins. I'll trade offensive production for wins. I'll trade out. Mike McCarthy doesn't care about having forty points a game. He doesn't care about averaging the forty burger. He cares about improving on the twelve and five season and getting deep into the playoffs. So if that means the Cowboys offense has to be more methodical and they average only twenty eight twenty seven points per game, which is still lights out, by the way, But if they only average twenty seven to twenty eight points per game, hell if they only average twenty four points per game, but you get a thirteen and four season and you're in the NFC Championship at minimum.
Speaker 4: That's what Mike McCarthy is here. What does Dak do best? I've said it a gazillion time, play action.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So if you know what your quarterback does best, play to it and he doesn't make too many mistakes when he's in that in that mode, why would you not build everything else around it to set him.
Speaker 4: Up for success.
Speaker 2: Whis just what they're doing.
Speaker 5: It's exactly what they're doing. We're gonna run the ball thirty times a game. We don't want him throwing the ball more than twenty five times a game. He is going to have a high percision rate because we're running highly accurate passes. You are a highly accurate, accurate routes, short nights, precise. Get it in their hands if they want to jump in. We got a double move built off of it. We are going to wear you down.
Speaker 9: Oh and by the way, never have guys who can separate. Whose name isn't cd let duce Vall. He's separating schoolmaker. Yes he's an elite run blocker, but he can separate. Jake Ferguson separator, Payton Hendershop separate.
Speaker 4: Look at the personnel groupings the personnel.
Speaker 5: If you come out in the twenty one personnel, they have to come out in the base defense.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: If you come out in the twenty two personnel, they have to come out in the base defense. Right and now, all of a sudden, twenty three even now you motion guys out. Now what now you have linebackers guard on your on your receiving running backs. Right, if you want to go out there and come out and you come out in twenty two or twenty three personnel, and you want to come out with through your linebackers and your big safeties, Guess what, we have two tight ends that can run routes on you all day long.
Speaker 4: We leave one of them in at the block. Yep.
Speaker 2: Now it gives an opportunity because last year, whenever you were relying on Dalton Schultz and he was kind of banged up toward the back half of the season, but you were relying on Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hindershot. Is that youth duo at the tight end position. You knew what was happening. Jake Ferguson was going to come in there and he was going to block eighty percent at the time. And then you had you had Peyton Hendershot who was going to come in He was going to be a receiver eighty percent at the time. They weren't going to rely on the other one to do the other task. Now you can have a schoonmaker who blows that all up and you don't know what he's doing because he is capable as a receiver just as much as he is capable as a blocker. So I think it does. It opens things up and you can see a pattern. So when we come back, I want to talk about who the draft picks affect most. You mentioned Dak Prescott, but does it affect the other tight ends. Does it affect the linebackers who won the draft weekend in the Cowboys locker room. We'll talk about that next when we come back here on more talking Cowboys. Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 10: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and.
Speaker 2: Toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever. Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees roasted package and shipped to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee Club today.
Speaker 2: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lipbomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 13: No one knows where this market will go. Things could change tomorrow, next week, or next month. At Meryl, We've been here before and history shows this is the time to stay focused on your future because through every market, the bull will always have your back. Find an advisor in North Texas at mL dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Publish Meryl, a Bank of America company.
Speaker 4: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 12: Investing involves re marilynch Pierce, Center and Smith Incorporated, Register Broker Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor Member, SIPC A holy own subsidiaria of Bank of American.
Speaker 3: Corn to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Register now for twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys youth camps presented by Infizil. Line Athletes ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at at and T Stadium or Ford Center. At the Star and Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are top by current Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Save twenty five dollars when you sign up for camp by May twelfth. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash camps. Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. Chris Beam, Isaiah Stanback Patrick No C Walker on Kyle Yeomans with our newest member of Talking Cowboys, Nick Harris, joining us for the first day. All right, Nick, we're gonna put you on the spot, throw it and go straight at it. Who won Draft day inside the Cowboys locker room? If we're talking about position groups, was this a draft that builds around Dak Prescott coaching staff? I'll throw the coaching staff in there too. Who won draft weekend by the acquisitions that the Cowboys may?
Speaker 7: Bear with me here, I'm just gonna go defense.
Speaker 8: You talked about Kellen Moore being stagnant at times last year, and there would be multiple drives where they're off the field and three four plays and you know the defense is right back on the field trying to, you know, go against a run defense or a really good rushing offense, and then they're getting run right up the middle. It's it's bad complimentary football. And Mike McCarthy talked a lot about it this past weekend. We're trying to implement complimentary football. And this kind of passes back into our last segment of being able to run the ball more. Even when you have a bad drive, you're still taking two and a half minutes off the clock and letting those guys get a little bit of rest and then with the run stoppers that they're able to bring in. Now you know, have those guys rest up, and then you have good run stoppers and the A and B gaps that are ready to get back on the field and play defense. So I'm just gonna say defense and look at the Overshown take as well. That's going to provide a lot of positional flexibility in all three levels.
Speaker 7: He has position.
Speaker 8: He has experienced at all three levels as an ed drudger, linebacker and safety. I mean having a guy like that that can either beef him up and bring him down, or you know, lean him up and put him back, or just keep him in the linebacking corps, I think I think there's just a lot to lack about the defense lean him up and push him back.
Speaker 2: I like that, tomarveon Overshown all three levels and so and you had been around Overshown through your recruiting days, right because he was out in the East Texas initially, and then of course he went to Austin and you spend some time down there.
Speaker 7: But I mean shout out to Art Texas by the way, East Texas, the Texas.
Speaker 4: Beast, Texas Baby.
Speaker 2: Where does he fit best? Do you think he fits best as a linebacker or just as a purely versatile piece.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think he's gonna fit best as a linebacker, But I think he's going to have a lot of pass rush upside that I think not a lot of people will expect.
Speaker 2: Dan Quinn knows how to unlock that from people, which goes to my answer.
Speaker 4: Dan Quinn is the big winner. He continues to win.
Speaker 9: The Cowboys continue to basically give him carte blanche, and wisely so, because he's already built one of the most dominant defenses in the league. And it just got better. You dropped Mazzie Smith in you talk about Demarveion Overshown, who was someone I like so much. I mocked him to the Cowboys and my one and only draft and here he is, so hook him. And then you talk about Villiyami for Hoko for those that are unaware of they call him Junior for Hoko for those that are unaware of, the cousin of Vita Vea.
Speaker 4: The guy is violent. He he has two gears, stop and kill.
Speaker 9: Okay, go back and watch his film and you love everything you see from him. So when you talk about overshown and Mazzie Smith, and you talk about Villiami for Hoko, and I'm actually intrigued with Eric Scott, someone.
Speaker 4: Who not a lot of people knew about. But if Will McClay is and Dan Quinn are so all in on this.
Speaker 9: Kid that they're willing to give up a pick next year, which will ultimately be a comp pick, but a twenty twenty four fifth round pick, to move up and draft him at one seventy eight instead of risking him falling the two twelve.
Speaker 4: That tells me something.
Speaker 9: And for those that don't know, the four point seventy one second forty was on a tweak quad right because he tweaked it, pull up, jumping thirty nine and a half inches in his vertical still ran it, though, do you know how insane that is to even run a four to seven to one hurt? But he said he's been clocked at sub four five, sub four four five. So Eric Scott, he's intriguing. Bottom line is dan Quinn already entered this this draft with top two defense in the league. I'll put San Francisco up there as well. Top two defense in the league. I'll put Philly at three. We'll see how my Georgia boys blew. But it got better. That should terrify people. Keep in mind he also went and got Stefan Gilmore to play opposite Trevon Diggs. Jordan Lewis is coming back healthy to tandem with the Ron Blank coming off of breakout rookie season. Donovan Wilson is back, three headed Monster, jay Ron Curse is back there, Malie Hooker's back there, and then you have Marveian Overshown. Who where's he lining up? It's a guessing game. Where's Waldo? It's gonna be Where's Waldo? Just like it is with jay Ron Curse. Dan Quinn won and keeps winning.
Speaker 2: It's da Barbion over shown reminds me of a mixture between Michaeh. Parsons and jay Ron Curse, because that's what it's gonna be, because it's like, okay, I mean, I'm not comparing let me let me slow this down real quick. I'm not comparing his skill set to both of those players. Like I don't think he is Michael Parsons and I don't think he is jay Ron Curse. Put together usability, but his usage could be compared to that because where is Micah gonna line up? For the most part, he's now going to be.
Speaker 4: An ad dresser.
Speaker 2: That's just kind of where he has been, where he's been successful. Then you have jay Ron Curse, who where is he gonna line up? Okay, he's gonna be in the back of the defense and he'll come into the box and they to cover a tight end. He's gonna do so many different things. And then there's a Dabarbion overshow, and that's like, all right, now, he can do all three of those things.
Speaker 5: So when I see him, I see Donald, I see I see a Donald. I see a Donald would cover. It's a hard hitter, like that's what That's what I see when I see him. I see Donald like he's either he's either not coming or he's going. It's either, you know, it's full speed ahead, and he has ability to cover a little bit. So I see, I see a bigger, more rangier Donald more than a little bit.
Speaker 4: That's what I see when I see he is really good at coverage. So I agree with you guys. If we're talking about offensive defense, I think the defense won.
Speaker 5: They won the night. When we're talking about position groups. I think the running backs one, really, I really do. I think the running backs, or even over the D line, because you think about, yeah, man, they have a one heck of a pick right the D line. Didn't they need it? They need they needed that. Outside of that, they had no needs. It was once offensively when you go to the running back room.
Speaker 4: They had needs. We talked about it. They had needs it right.
Speaker 5: When I talk about a position a position group, that one, I would have to say that they won in the draft and in post draft by paying by picking up Hunter. Because now you look at it in terms of what they're saying that they want to do. They have those boxes checked. They don't have to look outside anymore. That room is solid from what they did in just the draft. In just the draft, they addressed it right. So they already got TP right. They got Ronald Jones before, right, so they got too good about that's a two headed monster. Ronald Jones, from my perspective, is a blocking His guy's gonna be under to be on a third down situations to block in short yardage.
Speaker 4: That's your job. That's your job.
Speaker 5: Get us one to two yards and make sure nobody his deck in the back of the head.
Speaker 4: Okay, read linebackers one to two.
Speaker 5: Communicate with the on line, know exactly where the slide's going. Make sure you pick off the an outline of scrimmage. That is your job.
Speaker 4: Okay. Now, and we go out there and we get a shifty cat. Okay, TP, we don't want you to be that shifting guy. No more.
Speaker 5: You have more responsibilities. We're gonna have somebody who was your role. That's he's now taking your role for your last year's role. We're your last three years role.
Speaker 4: Okay. So now that's Deuce Dews. That's your job.
Speaker 5: And guess what, we got a big monster if we don't have to bring a lineman in no more to go down here and come downhill. Every time we have a lineman in the game, we're running the ball. No Now, we got a foolback who's ce ball.
Speaker 4: Hit ball.
Speaker 5: That's all he wants to do. He wants to see you tell him he go out there and hit fifty two. Okay, coach, he can also catch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again, now you got it. Coming out of the back of the first of Telly. We started talking about.
Speaker 2: Goallar about receiving touchdowns last year.
Speaker 4: Now we're talking about play.
Speaker 5: Actually were talking about him coming in, bluffing on the linebackingay and going out to the flat right. So now you in terms of addressing a position group holistically, I think the running backs won.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: That's that's an interesting take because I agree that they won. Did they win over the defensive line? I think Mozzie Smith adding to that defensive line? What if we talked about and we talked about it before Jonathan Hankins, and then we talked about it after Jonathan Hankins came into the fold. They need a guy like that. Absolutely, they have needed a Mozzi Smith and they got Jonathan Hankins. And I still love Jonathan Hankins being on this football team, even in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Need it both, yes, you need it both.
Speaker 5: We talked about big Jonathan Hankins coming back and saying that is an instrumental piece.
Speaker 4: That's something that happened.
Speaker 5: But we also said he needs somebody when he goes out that that role is still fulfilled because.
Speaker 2: Now it's the opposite way though now Mozzie Smith is that role and Jonathan Hankins is the fill in and Mozzi Smith is the long term answer to that question. So now you allow for everybody to run free, not only when Jonathan Hankins is in the game, but now you've got a Mozzie Smith and a Jonathan Hankins. You're let's put them both out there, let's have some fun, let's go line.
Speaker 5: But you're the thing is they're not exposed. And that's the one that's the conversation we had pre draft. The reason why they needed to address that position and with a high pick is so that you're never exposed to the run when they see big Jonathan Hankns go out. What is offensive coordinator automatically think the middle of the defense is weak. Yeah, we can. We can go right up the middle. Okay if we want to. We can do quarterback sneaks if we want to. We can get easy yardage because that's where they're soft. At right, they're soft. Right, What did Michael Jordan do? He took his weakness and he made it his strength. What did Dallas Cowboys do? They took their weakness. They just made it their strength. That's how you address your roster. They did at one heck of a job. And now we have a rotation on right, we have all these defensive ends. We have all these tackles, right, but now you have a rotation of a guy who's going to sit in the zero or the one gap.
Speaker 9: Well, here's what I say, and careful with this, because I think that you'll see sets of Mazzi and Jonathan Hankins together together in more than just goal line if you read the tea leaves and listen to what Will McClay is saying, Stephen Jones was saying, when you listen to what Mozzie Smith is saying. So I rode on the transport with Mozzie Smith from DFW upun his first arrival to the Star here at Frisco, and one of the things he said, which was later backed up by McLay and Stephen Jones, is yes, he is that definitive run stopper, that elite run stopper. But they saw some things on the Michigan film that are going to have them testing him in training camp as a flex. They're going to see him do some three tech work, some five tech work as well, depending.
Speaker 4: On what the lineup is. Four down man, three down man.
Speaker 9: So you're going to see Mazzi Smith not just operate solely as a run stopper, which means if he's on the field with Jonathan Hankins, which direction are you running to? Because also you got to keep in mind these are operating in a rotation of guys like osa Odiggy Zuwa who's coming off of a breakout season, Chauncey Goosten, whose needed was pointy North.
Speaker 5: Right now, Dan, I have to say it again, dan Quinn was already a winner coming into the draft. And the fact that they drop a nuclear.
Speaker 9: Weapon like Mazzie Smith onto the table and then sprinkle in another weapon in Villyami Fojoko and then say hey, Tomar Jon Overshan, come on in and join the party. This defense as a whole, to Nick's point, is insane. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we saw dan Quinn kind of sneak over to the to the end of the table in the front office after they made their first round pick and they'd officially made it, and then a smile was ear We felt it, We felt it downstairs, Yes, it was.
Speaker 7: He's got to be excited. He's got every every right to be excited.
Speaker 8: Quick thing I want to touch on, if they can unlock that pass rush ability for Mazzie Smith, that would be.
Speaker 4: Fun because he's already disruptive from zero one to two. That's super explosive, super explosied.
Speaker 5: There's only one person, think about this, there's only one person on this defense who's asked to play one position, Jonathan Hankins.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody else is.
Speaker 4: Get in there, big boy.
Speaker 2: And I mean, if we would have talked about it last week, if we would have in our lead up show said okay, three of the first four picks are going to go to the defensive side of the ball. One, I don't think we would have believed. I would not have and two I don't think we would have been as excited about it. But that's what dan Quinn brings. Hiss an element because there's a trust factor there because of what he's done, because of the the guys that he's hit on and the guys that he stood on the table for have worked out, they have been there, they've done that, and they've shown it. So he's earned that ability to go in and say, guys, I really want a Massie Smith, even though I know we need offensive line, but I'm here, look at me. This is my third year is defense coordinator. We need a Massie Smith. Let's go get us a guy real quick. We need to go to break. When we come back, though, we're talking a couple different things. We're talking hockey, we're talking about have the stars aligned. We're gonna talk a couple different things, and then we'll wrap things up and send to next week when we come back with more talking cowboys. Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 10: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee.
Speaker 2: To people who love America.
Speaker 12: When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com to fuel up today.
Speaker 4: Hey honey, can we talk? Of course? What's up?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I just thought you should know.
Speaker 11: I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 4: Have you vote this way a long time? No?
Speaker 11: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 4: If you feel that way, I think you should try it. Babe. It's amazing. I mean, you're amazing too.
Speaker 5: Nude Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 2: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys. The Jack Black playmaker Tim Bucks free shipping.
Speaker 3: To the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Head to the Miller Lighte House at at and T Stadium for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos and Tunes Festival, presented by Miller Ly at Saturday May thirteenth, from two to seven pm. Enjoy a variety of tacos and food truck options while you sip on cold drinks and listen to live music. And Mission and parking for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos and Tunes Festival are both free. Visit at T Stadium dot com slash Tacos and Tunes for more info. See you there, I would love to go. I'm not going to be there. I'm gonna be That's that. That morning I will be flying out to Seattle for the start of my honeymoon because I'm getting married on Sunday. Seattle is not a bad place to be, k Yeah, you know, and that's interesting that you say that last night, and actually cracking.
Speaker 4: Is the disagree It is cracking. You know what, It's amazing.
Speaker 2: This started yesterday afternoon. I called to you and we were talking about a couple of days and I was like, I wonder, I forgot Dallas and Seattle are playing in this series, and that of course they go back and forth. Of course, last night was at the American Airline Center. The Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle is the other the other games of the series. I was like, I wonder if there's a game that would overlap while I'm in Seattle. I'm only there for one night during this series, authorities, because you know then we're going on a cruise and whatever. But that one night is going to be Game six. And I found that out last night, and I spent way too much money on Sea Geek Bang. I went on Sea Geek and locked it in.
Speaker 9: You can't, oh, you can't put a price on being in the bill. When the stars eliminate.
Speaker 4: That, they put a price on it.
Speaker 2: There was a price on it, no doubt about it. It was just a big price. But the hotel we're staying at is like a couple of blocks away, and so we're going to walk to the stadium if they go.
Speaker 14: But here's the thing, if only someone knew anybody in the Krakens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is all happening. Or I heard about Isaiah being front row last night Buddy Buddy with the Krakens ownership group. And I didn't even get a text message.
Speaker 4: About this morning.
Speaker 2: They didn't even hear about it. But you know what, Isaiah, I wasuch.
Speaker 4: I was CouchSurfing while you were the same here Rubbin Elbow, I was in there. I was in there pissing off all the stars. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for those that don't know, and you should know, if you listen to this show, Seattle all, I mean that's hometown for for Isaiah.
Speaker 4: Stand back.
Speaker 2: He's got his cracking shirt on.
Speaker 4: This is custom, says the custom.
Speaker 5: You can crack house one of one, one on one man start selling these joy I'm trying.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to counterbalance it. But that that's next level. And one of my clients made this for me. He designed it looks great. It's pretty dope, but it looks like it's so funny. Look it looks pro shops awesome. It is going to be.
Speaker 2: But so you're a huge Cracking fan. You have been since day one.
Speaker 5: I mean they founded the team every just like people are Dallas everything, I'm Seattle everything.
Speaker 2: Well, you're you're you're one of one in the studio because three of us are stars fans.
Speaker 4: Absolutely you should be.
Speaker 2: I think we need to make a bet. I think we need to bet something here.
Speaker 4: You still want to bet?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was going to say, you know, we scored three goals in fifty two seconds. That's okay, Okay, you.
Speaker 2: Scored one the rest of the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, grab him and hold, grab him and hold.
Speaker 2: You tried, you tried to.
Speaker 4: Like nervous. We got pav God, so we would.
Speaker 2: We'll be all right, bro, show Letski I mean, oh my gosh, yeah, Pavelski. I don't know why I said, let's I think that's a football player.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Uh, Pavelski though, oh man, it was nuts four goals last night. Okay. Here's the thing, though, we gotta we gotta come up with with the bet that's happening here. Of course, it's a series win stars, win the series, crack and win the spot one. Uh yeah, we give you a one one game head start. What are we thinking here? We think it just jersey hat swap where where?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of a bet live on the air. By the way, if you have any questions or you have any suggestions.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen, tweet us. Tweet us with your suggestions. Let's take a poll. We have tonight until tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We got next week too. Yeah, yeah, let's take a pole. I don't think see what I think this thing is going six.
Speaker 9: Or yeah, let's do it like we did the nickname like that. We're going to crowd source this. So ladies and gentlemen hit us up each individual on the Twitter.
Speaker 2: I'm voice of the Star Kyle Underscore.
Speaker 14: Yeomans can stand back monetary because the NFL zero zero mon no money can be just this is a pure pride.
Speaker 4: We just talked about. Okay, it's gonna be one heck of a series. I can tell you that.
Speaker 2: Patrick just reminded me, So Nick your Twitter to follow.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 7: Nick, Harris d C.
Speaker 2: Harris d C.
Speaker 8: We talked some cowboys. We also talked to Miami Heat. Especially it comes tapping, so your heat.
Speaker 7: Yeah, big time.
Speaker 4: Almost pulled it out without Butler.
Speaker 7: I should have. I'll take it.
Speaker 8: You see you see Jimmy last night and smiling and wave into the crowd.
Speaker 4: You guys can be that combined without in the garden.
Speaker 2: This this is talking cowboys. But also, I mean the way that this show is run. This is like we're sitting at a bar, We're sitting at a sports bar or talking with your friends. We're gonna we're gonna tailor it to.
Speaker 4: Be who represents a city exactly.
Speaker 2: I wish that this series was like last week. You don't know why I do not wish it was. Why I wish it was last week?
Speaker 14: Why is because that bet could have been uh, you wearing a cracking jersey down the aisle.
Speaker 2: That's not I would have never make that bet in the first place.
Speaker 4: Why not confident card?
Speaker 2: No, there's a couple of different reasons. Why as an.
Speaker 5: Undershirts undershirt, just have it underneath, just rip.
Speaker 2: It open, Beamer.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know if you're familiar with the divorce rating, but let's not contribute to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm good on that lot. But all right, guys, well yeah, well we'll we'll hit the bet next week. I will be here next week. So it is the week after the wedding, but my honeymoon doesn't start until the thirteenth and Tacos and tunes.
Speaker 5: There's two more games games before No, yeah, two more games before, three games before next show. No, I think they played Sunday Tuesday something like that. So Thursday, Sunday Tuesday. I think that's what they are, Saturday Tuesday anyways.
Speaker 2: So it's a Tuesday game, not a Monday game.
Speaker 4: It's one of those. But either way, there's two to three games before our next show, so.
Speaker 2: It won't be clenched by then, and if it is, you'll win the bet. But that's fine, we'll figure it well.
Speaker 9: You guys, hold it down next week, rub it all in his face the wins, because next Tuesday I will be out of office, actually my first off season, you.
Speaker 4: Know, reset, So you're going to reset.
Speaker 9: Just want to try while I'm watching the stars win because that's what I love.
Speaker 5: Competition. I'm a I'm a fan of competition. Yeah, that's it doesn't matter what sports.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, in order to be a part of the.
Speaker 4: Show, you have to run a forty r dash down with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, book he's ready?
Speaker 4: Question, can you beat Kyle book stop?
Speaker 7: What did he run?
Speaker 4: Question?
Speaker 2: I asked that question?
Speaker 9: He's already Yeah, it's already.
Speaker 2: Yeahs it's done, it's over.
Speaker 4: It's deuce. Wouldn't ask that question? What a tiny run?
Speaker 2: No, no, all that cornhole? Yeah, and then you got to try and be beamer.
Speaker 7: And I'm pretty good at cornhole. I'm not. This is not a challenge.
Speaker 8: I'm just saying, yeah, hold on, we gotta yeah, we got a thing.
Speaker 5: There's there's a thing, okay, and we have to say it with your chest Fridays, but being there, our show is only once a week, right now. We say what I chat. We don't back down from commings. We stand behind what we say. Sometimes it's gonna be received, well, sometimes it's not, but we stand behind it.
Speaker 4: We say with our chest.
Speaker 7: Chris Beamy, you can see me outside.
Speaker 4: Let's go. Welcome to the show, Nick Harris, all right, we'll be.
Speaker 2: Back next Tuesday at our normal time ten am Central time, right here from the Star in Frisco. For Chris Bean for Exiah stand back, Nick Harris and Patrick No sy Walker. We also do the chopper at the end West show where you go after Phillips. Yes, sir, all right, see you next week. On Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club