Speaker 1: So I'm about to sit and watch the arrest of Lucy. Let be it's the first time I've seen it, as I don't love to go out of my way to see people getting arrested. All right, let's see how this goes.
Speaker 2: Hello, Lucy, is it hell? I'm please stepan seven? Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's six am.
Speaker 1: Lucy's wearing a powder blue hoodie matching sweatpants.
Speaker 3: She's letting the officers inside.
Speaker 1: Eleven minutes later, it's recording again and we can see Lucy being led out of the house in handcuffs.
Speaker 3: She looks just shocked.
Speaker 1: We're all seeing the same facial expression. But what meaning are we imbuing to it? Depending on what you feel about her, you think, oh, she's in shock because she's being accused of a crime she didn't commit, or she's in shock because she thinks she was going to get away with it. I don't know, Lucy. I do know that feeling of shock and just helplessness, and how suddenly you go from being a regular person who has the ability to just open a door.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: That's something that immediately is triggering for me, is the memory of suddenly not having access to the world, the way that a normal person has access to the world, and now the world is completely changed and shifted around you. I remember the actual moment they put handcuffs on me. They told me that it was a mere formality. It's just a bizarre moment of change that you don't really understand, going from being a free person to a person in custody. It's there's nothing really that compares to that. It's the ultimate, like being rendered small.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna put me in the box seat in the hair.
Speaker 5: Oh, I have to take a seat in that.
Speaker 1: Today, watching this, it brings me back to the day I was arrested. I was so in shock that I didn't even realize what was happening. It was so unfathomable to me that I could be accused that I believed the police when they told me they were taking me somewhere for my own protection. Even as the handcuffs clicked on my wrists, it still didn't click for me. It wasn't until several days later, after repeatedly crying myself to sleep in a prison cell, that I was escorted to a makeshift courtroom in the prison, where a judge told me I was accused of murder. Only then did I finally understand what was happening to me? I don't know what Lucy let Be felt the day she was arrested, but in the video of her arrest released by the police, that dazed expression.
Speaker 3: It gives me chills.
Speaker 1: But for whatever confusion Lucy let Be may have been feeling, a much more straightforward narrative was starting to emerge in the media.
Speaker 6: A woman who worked at the Countess of Chester Hospital has been arrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies and attempting to murder another six still probably.
Speaker 1: As part of the investigation, the Cheshire Police search Lucy's home, her parents' house, and Lucy's office the hospital. They sees her diaries, her computer, her phone, and paperwork she has stashed under her bed. What they find will become key evidence against Lucy at her trial. One item in particular seems so damning it could well be irrefutable proof that Lucy is exactly what the doctors suspect her of being a serial killer. The next day, Lucy's name and the accusations against her will make the front page of every major newspaper, every news show, and every radio broadcast.
Speaker 3: From this moment on Lucy.
Speaker 1: Let Be is a character in her own life story. This is the moment Lucy loses hold of her own narrative. I'm Amanda Knox and from Vespucci and iHeart Podcasts. This is out the Case of Lucy let Be, Episode three, Operation Hummingbird.
Speaker 3: It's been nearly.
Speaker 1: Two years since the death of Baby A. Doctors on the neonatal unit at the Countess feel like they.
Speaker 3: Are banging their heads against the wall.
Speaker 1: So far, they've had two external reviews and a third is underway, but still none of the reviews are coming to the same conclusion as the doctors.
Speaker 6: Let's say we've got a problem. The facts are we've had an increase in death and we think it's her.
Speaker 1: Michelle Warden is a former neonatal nurse at the Countess. She never worked with Lucy, but she knew a lot of the people who did, and she says the doctors in charge were ready to blame Lucy very early on, from.
Speaker 6: The first moment that they pointed the finger at Lucy. They were not thinking that Lucy had made a clinical mistake or there'd been an accident. All the way along, they'd only had on average three deaths a year. They were definitely considering that this was a malicious act. I think because they were saying there were so many, I'm saying, oh, these are unexplained collapses.
Speaker 1: Just a side note for those who are not familiar. In this context, a collapse is a sudden deterioration in a baby's health, a drop in vital signs, a change in heart rate, or if they stop breathing. For the doctors, the sheer number of deaths while Lucy let Be was on shift are looking like much more than mere coincidence, and it needed the police. But still none of the hospital administrators agree, that is until doctor Jayram tells them a story that, if true, is the first hand account of attempted murder.
Speaker 7: That is a night that is etched on my memory and will be in my nightmares forever.
Speaker 1: Doctor Jerram tells hospital administrators that two years prior, he had walked in on Lucy watching a baby nearly suffocate to death. But a question remains, why didn't he just call the police.
Speaker 6: Then he suddenly came up with this idea that he caught her virtually red handed with baby Ka, but he didn't document anything in the note, and he didn't tell anybody for over twelve months now. If you seriously think you've walked into a nursery where somebody's about to murder a baby, you just get in your car and drive to the police station, wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: After initial conversations with hospital higher ups, the police are still skeptical that there even is a case, but after receiving an email from doctor Jayram, a detective decides to meet with the doctors.
Speaker 8: I met with Stephen Breary and Rabbi Jayream and asked them to explain to me, in the very short timescale we had, why I should or should not take this forward to be investigated.
Speaker 1: This is a quote from Detective Superintendent Paul Hughes of the Cheshire Constabulary, read by an actor. It's from an interview he did on a podcast hosted by the UK tabloid The Daily Mail.
Speaker 8: Although they are very, very fragile, very delicate babies that need care, there's no expectation of depth, there's no expectation of collapse.
Speaker 1: Detective Hughes looks like he could be a character in a Guy Ritchie movie. He's bald, barrel chested with a close trimmed beard. He has a kind of Jason Statham vibe about him. In interviews and press conferences about the case, he wears a suit that barely contains him and a somber expression. During their initial meeting, doctor Breery and doctor Jayram tell Detective Hughes that although babies on the unit are fragile, one thing they don't do is die suddenly. Of course, it's not like babies never die in a neonatal unit, but the doctors explain they usually know when it's going to happen. The doctors go on to explain just how unusual these deaths were, and Detective Hughes leaves the encounter convinced there's a case. Here's doctor Jayram during his ITV interview.
Speaker 7: The very fact that the police, after listening to us for less than ten minutes, realize that this is something that they had to be involved with. To me, speaks volumes and I could have punch the air.
Speaker 1: Finally, the police open an investigation into the deaths at the Countess and code name it Operation Hummingbird. The following series of events would forever change the hospital and everyone on that unit, from staff to parents. A narrative would take hold, and there was no going back from here, this is now a murder case, and at the helm would be Detective Hughes as senior detective. Here he is again, this time in a promotional video put out by the police themselves.
Speaker 8: What I was presented with was effectively a number of reports written in medical jargon.
Speaker 1: It's a lot for the detective and his team to get their heads around, but thankfully the Countess pediatricians are on hand to answer questions. When I sat down with doctor Phil Hammond, I asked him about this moment in the investigation.
Speaker 9: I don't like it. In a proper scientific investigation, you'd say, okay, we're going to get someone independent to look at this.
Speaker 1: If you recall, doctor Hammond is a retired doctor and medical columnist for Private Eye, a popular current affairs magazine in Britain, and he's written over thirty articles about the Let Be case.
Speaker 9: I think the first thing to say is that doctors a human, so with suspect of the same biases and temptations as everything else. I think the biggest failure in that is that police allowed the doctors to investigate these deaths and mark their own homework.
Speaker 1: Doctor Hammond says that it is clear that doctors wanted the police to see things their way and to ignore other issues that were plaguing the unit.
Speaker 3: He tells me about the flurry.
Speaker 1: Of emails the seven senior pediatricians from the Countess were sending each other right as the police investigation was getting under way.
Speaker 9: They're saying, you know, we've got to make sure the police act on this, and we'll cut this bit out and here are my suggestions, what are yours? And it's clearly they're gaming the information. They actually say, we want to peak the interest of the police.
Speaker 1: Specifically, doctor Jayram writes in one of those emails, quote, should we highlight explicitly for these cases that LLL was in attendance and in close proximity to the incubators.
Speaker 3: This is, after all, the basis of.
Speaker 1: Our concerns, and I think for the police to have their interest piqued, we need to have that.
Speaker 9: And I think that's just wrong that they shouldn't be investigating that they were trusted as doctors. They were the ones who raised concerns.
Speaker 1: One of the things I've had to wrap my mind around is that good people make mistakes. The consultants, like even the doctors who were sort of cherry picking information to make it palatable to the police. They were going off of what seems like a gut feeling and out of concern for patients.
Speaker 9: I think in my interactions with doctor Jerrohm when I first started investigating this, he appeared to me to be very genuine in his beliefs. However, they spun the information a removed it's about the baby's being really sick and then not having enough staff.
Speaker 1: Detective Hughes felt the doctor's help was so invaluable that he would go on to publicly praise their contributions. In an interview with The Observer, Hughes is quoted as saying the doctors were the golden thread of the investigation. But it wouldn't be accurate or fair to say that detectives based their entire investigation on the information provided by the doctors.
Speaker 3: Far from it.
Speaker 1: In fact, Operation Hummingbird doesn't truly kick off until detectives are introduced to a completely different doctor, a doctor who's never set foot in the Countess of Chester Hospital, but one who becomes indispensable to the investigation. He's the man reporters would take to calling the Welsh Wizard.
Speaker 10: Dear Demander I enclose a letter I sent to Private Eye yesterday.
Speaker 1: This is an email I received from doctor Dowie Evans last year, read by an actor. I had been briefly corresponding with him in October of twenty twenty four and again in twenty twenty six, but he never responded to giving me a formal interview. But that didn't stop him from sharing his thoughts via email.
Speaker 10: Doctor Hammond has no experience of medical legal practice, and as far as I know, has no pediatric or neonatology experience. He's best known as a stand up comedian and writes for satirical magazine Private Eye.
Speaker 1: As you can tell, he's not doctor Hammond's biggest fan.
Speaker 10: The Eye is not really qualified to engage on matters as sensitive and complicated as the murder of little babies.
Speaker 1: Doctor Evans is in his seventies, a grandfather, living out his retirement in his beloved Welsh countryside. He has white hair, fair complexion, gold rimmed glasses and a rotating supply of cardigans. Early one Sunday morning in twenty seventeen, an article in the Sunday Paper catches his attention, and, in true doctor Evans fashion, he's inspired to fire off an email Dear Nick. Nick is a contact at the National Crime Agency, a sort of clearing house that connects expert witnesses with police departments.
Speaker 10: I've read about the high death rate for babies in Chester and that the police are investigating do they have a pediatric neonatal conduct I was involved in neonatal medicine for thirty years.
Speaker 1: Doctor Evans has been out of clinical practice for nearly a decade, but he keeps busy by working as an expert witness, mainly on cases of medical malpractice and child abuse.
Speaker 10: If the Chester police have no one in mind, I'd be interested to help. Sounds like my kind of case.
Speaker 3: The police agree.
Speaker 1: Doctor Evans begins work on Operation Hummingbird as an expert witness in the summer of twenty seventeen. Here he is talking on the RAJ persad In Conversation podcast.
Speaker 10: I said, if you suspect somebody, or you suspect some people, don't I don't want to know. This is July twenty seventeen. What I need is to get the notes of every baby who's died and every baby who's collapsed from January twenty fifteen to July twenty sixteen, not just the suspicious ones or the ones you can't explain. I want all of them.
Speaker 1: That attitude, he goes on to say, allowed him to approach the task of investigating in a completely unbiased way. But the records from the police investigation, the ones detailing doctor Evans's involvement in the case, they tell a different story. According to doctor Hammond.
Speaker 9: And he said, within ten minutes of looking at the notes of the baby, I knew this was inflicted harm.
Speaker 11: It's in the police thought. Oh and it was his certainty.
Speaker 1: As long as there have been police and investigations, there has been tunnel vision. Tunnel vision is when investigators get so focused on one theory they may inadvertently ignore or even deliberately suppress evidence that doesn't fit. You can think of it as a species of confirmation bias, the human tendency to look for evidence that confirms an established belief or favored theory and to discount evidence that contradicts it. It's a very dangerous problem, one that is at the heart of many wrongful convictions, including mine. Even after the true perpetrator's DNA was identified in and on the body of my roommate, the investigators and the prosecutor, who already believed I was somehow involved, ignored exonerating evidence like the fact that none of my DNA was ever found in the room where the murder occurred. But they also magnified the importance of irrelevant evidence, like the fact that my DNA was found in the bathroom, the bathroom I used every day. It was tempting to think at the time that they were simply out to railroad me, no matter the cost. But I've learned to see that malice isn't necessary to explain that behavior.
Speaker 2: Justice can make mistakes because the machinery is run by human beings. Human beings make mistakes.
Speaker 1: John Sweeney from episode one, the former war correspondent with The Unrulyed. He has done a very deep dive into the investigation into Lucy Ledby's case.
Speaker 2: I do not believe that the police did a proper job when they took the advice of an expert who knocked on their door.
Speaker 1: John says that from the very beginning, Lucy was the person at the end of the tunnel, and those with the power to accuse her, charge her, and then prosecute her saw nothing and no one else, and he believes that included their star witness, doctor Evans aka the Welsh Wizard.
Speaker 2: Essentially, the stististics don't make sense. They're wrong. The idea of somebody being locked up, the idea of me being locked up for a crime that didn't happen, or that you're entirely innocent of that's a terrible, terrible thing. And what happens if they're wrong? What happens if the doctors have improperly excluded other alternative explanations.
Speaker 1: John believes that doctor Evans only helped reinforce the police's tunnel vision, that he was irresponsible with the way he interpreted the evidence supplied by investigators, especially the information gathered that showed Lucy was at work for every suspicious incident.
Speaker 12: You know, you've got to be quite careful with the statistics of it.
Speaker 1: John Sweeney is not the only one with that opinion. This is doctor Jane Hutton, a professor of statistics at the University of Warwick.
Speaker 12: I've been interested in mathematics for a long time and also in using mathematics to address problems in the real world.
Speaker 1: Doctor Hutton, like doctor Evans, was hired by the Cheshire Police to consult with their investigation into Lucy let be.
Speaker 12: The first I knew, Butchlor's background noise was in about April twenty eighteen when I was asked to get involved.
Speaker 1: Doctor Hutton recalls that investigators were asking her to find numbers that fit their theory.
Speaker 12: Their initial thing was, we'd like you to help us understand the statistical issues, and we would like you to calculate a probability of one member of staff being present. Can you come up with a figure of something like one in a million for probability of somebody being on duty? So I said, well, that's completely the wrong way to do it.
Speaker 1: That's like asking a fingerprint analyst, can you come up with an explanation for why these two prints match instead of asking them to determine if they are a match or not. As doctor Hutton goes on to explain, when it comes to the neonatal unit and infant deaths, finding a cause of death isn't always straightforward. For doctor Hutton, looking at neonatal deaths is a bit like being asked to explain the exact cause of death of a very old person.
Speaker 12: You know, it can be slightly tricky to think, well, was it the kidneys or the liberal the lungs or the heart or the brain. So yet it always get a very clear cause. And also, if you've got to talk about an unexpected collapse of anybody in intensive care, you're in intensive care because you're seriously unstable.
Speaker 1: And as Hutton says, the babies in the Countess's neonatal unit were sick babies.
Speaker 12: The best you can be a stable contrary to what was said in the trial that the babies were well. If they were well, they were taking up places they didn't need.
Speaker 1: Doctor Hutton adds that the information she was given on the babies who died or collapsed was not only insufficient, but also income example, all.
Speaker 12: The deaths and look at all the factors of the deaths, and then you might say, okay, we want to look at twins who didn't die, or we want to look at triplets who didn't die, or so on.
Speaker 11: So you've got a comparison group.
Speaker 1: Without all the needed information rigorously and properly collected, Doctor Hutton could not determine anything.
Speaker 12: So I basically said, that is not what I will do, because that is the wrong thing to do. I can tell you what the correct approach is, and I did at some meetings discussing the correct approach, what was needed, and so on.
Speaker 1: I'll be the first to admit that my brain isn't wired for math and statistics. But even I can tell you you don't need a PhD in statistics to understand what was lacking here. Basically, Hutton needed a bigger sample size.
Speaker 3: She needed more.
Speaker 1: Information on the babies and their mothers, the pregnancies and the outcomes. For Hutton, cherry picking the evidence that way is a recipe for tunnel vision.
Speaker 12: You need to interpret them correctly. You need to be very aware of cognitive bias and the risks of bias in people looking for evidence.
Speaker 1: But doctor Hutton says her warnings seemed to fall on deaf ears.
Speaker 12: And then essentially it went quiet, and I would get the old trickle of oh, we're waiting for the Crime Prosecution Service. They might have different views about evidence, so just went silent.
Speaker 1: In fact, the next time doctor Hutton heard anything substantial about the Lucy let Be case was when let Be was arrested.
Speaker 12: You don't start by assuming that there's murder when you have no evidence.
Speaker 1: Doctor Hutton might have had real trouble with the task she was given by the police, but doctor Dowie Evans, he would go on to be the prosecution star witness. Just before the trial, the doctors of the Countess helped police piece together a graph. On one side of the graph the babies who had collapsed or died. On the other a list of the nurses on staff, and right down the middle under Lucy's name, a column of x'es. She was there for every single suspicious incident. But for doctor Hutton that graph proved nothing.
Speaker 12: Well, all the graph shows is was prison when she was present. It doesn't actually show you anything else than that.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing that this this raises is the question of why Lucy? Why are they targeting her? I'm back speaking with journalist John Sweeney. Is it just because she's conveniently a young woman who's there at the wrong place at the wrong time? Like, why are the police willing to assume you know, criminal intent or criminal fault, criminal wrongdoing? I mean, and I ask this also from a very personal place, right because I also you know, to this day, am like, why me, what was it about me that like made the entire world think that I was some kind of insane murder orgy? Why?
Speaker 9: Why?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: What happens with Lucy is I think she's just like you were. You were very unlucky, and I think she was very unlucky, and she was the wrong woman in the wrong place. And then you've got the police. Now, the police like nailing mass murderers. You've learned from Viscer experience. So you've got to come out, and you've got to come out fighting. You do, because otherwise.
Speaker 1: The narrative is this boulder that rolls down the hill and you can't stop it.
Speaker 3: The more momentum it gets.
Speaker 5: It's true, it's.
Speaker 1: Fair to ask why Lucy was the target. From our work and other investigations into her case, it's clear there are problems with the investigation, and the tunnel vision of the police seems obvious but not completely unfounded. Even if it didn't prove that she was guilt. Lucy was in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot, and I can see how that might give rise to suspicion. And there was more because on the day that the police searched Lucy's house and office, they discovered something that seemed like definitive proof of her guilt on post it notes, on sheets of paper, and in her diaries. Were words and scribbles written by Lucy that pointed to the evil the police believed lived inside the young.
Speaker 4: Nurse, basically as a note saying, I don't deserve to live. I killed them on purpose because I'm not good enough to care for them. And then in capital letters leaping out at you, I am evil. I did this. That's a very striking visual piece of evidence for the jury. So we got that very early on. And of course you look at that and you think, ah, well, this could be game O her already here where you know, this person's literally confessed to what she's done.
Speaker 3: Next on doubt the case of Lucy.
Speaker 13: Let Be, physical evidence cannot lie. Insulin testing from this laboratory should not be used as evidence of poisoning. They knew that what they were doing was not the proper way and should not be used as evidence in the case, but yet they did it anyway.
Speaker 4: And then finally just comes in, all Rice, we gonna stand up. And that's that's the start of the court deck.
Speaker 2: There was a woman accused of.
Speaker 4: The murders of seven babies. You were going to see a.
Speaker 11: In person.
Speaker 3: Doubt.
Speaker 1: The case of Lucy let Be is brought to you by Vespucci, iHeart Podcasts and Knox Robinson Productions.
Speaker 3: I've been your Host Amanda Knox.
Speaker 1: This episode was written by clusy To Olivera, Kathleen Goldhar, and Natalia Rodriguez. The co producers were Clusy To Olivera and Lucy Ditchmont. The assistant producer was Amy Gill. Senior producer is Natalia Rodriguez. Audio mix by Tom Biddle. The theme music was written by Tom Biddle, story editing by Kathleen Goldhar. Legal advice was provided by Jack Browning. The producers at iHeart Podcasts are Chandler Mays and Katrina Norville. The executive producers were Joe Meek, Amanda Knox, Christopher Robinson, Daniel Turkin, and Johnny Galvin.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening.