Speaker 1: Hey, everybody.
Speaker 2: Chuck here with a Saturday Select, bringing you one all the way back from August twenty eighteen. A nice summer episode. Who Is the Man of the Whole? This is very interesting. The Man of the Holes was somebody who lived by himself as an uncontacted human, well pretty much uncontacted. A very interesting story. Sometimes I wish I was the Man of the Whole. But check it out right now. Who is the Man of the Hole? Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. So I'm Josh Clark, and there's Charles W. Chuck Bryant, there's Jerry Jerome Brolind. Boy, I'm not in a good way today, Chuck, you off your game, as if you can't tell I think you're fine. Well, thanks, man, I feel a lot better. Sure, Yeah, no, I'm okay. I can tell you. I'm I'm surrounded by friend's family.
Speaker 1: Like your dad's in the corner. It's weird.
Speaker 3: I have the idea I have TV. Oh man. I instagrammed a photo of my mom and dad from the seventies. Yeah, and I captioned it They're like looking at each other kind of lovingly and I captioned it the moment before I was conceived.
Speaker 1: You know what Jerry showed me that today?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she did. I look a lot like my parents mixed together. Huh.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The first thing I noticed was like, Wow, that's that's what Josh would have looked like as a grown man in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Because that profile.
Speaker 2: Of your dad, I don't know, I've never seen your dad young, So I was like, man, that's really that's you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally saw it. I saw both.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, because you look at my dad, You're like, oh, that's Josh. But then you look at my mom, You're like, oh, there's Josh too. Very bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I guess I definitely favor my father, is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a lot of people just favor one or the other. But I'm fifty to.
Speaker 1: Fifty Yep, that's kay all fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a new one.
Speaker 1: There's a T shirt, Yeah, fifty to fifty Clark.
Speaker 3: So, oh, I know the point I was making. There's this House Stuff Works article that you sent called The Man in the Hole, and it talks about this guy who is the last of his kind, he's, as this article put it, like the loneliest person on Earth. And I was like, yeah, I mean, I'm sure this is a lot like being in solitary confinement or something like that, but no, this is way beyond that. And this house stuff works article byes Lynn Shields like really drove it home. She wrote, like, what if you were the last person who could speak your language, the last person who remembered what Halloween was, or a Coca cola, or that a dog says wolf, Like, imagine that, And I'm like, yeah, that's way different from being in solitary. Solitary confinement would be bad enough. You know, you're physically restrained, but at least you'd know out there that there are other people who know the same things you know, that speak the same language you speak, that your family's still out there, that kind of thing. This is utterly different. And this man, the last Tribesman he's called or the Man in the Hole, is possibly not just the last of his kind. He might be the only person on the entire planet in the situation that he's in. Maybe isn't that bizarre to think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we did another show on are There Undiscovered People? Quite a few years back, and I don't know how he didn't get to this guy, but I saw this article and it was striking, especially if you've seen the couple of videos, and I think there are only two pieces of video of this dude. One I saw where they were sort of shooting, you know, they were zoomed in on a hut, and that's you know, where he lives. There's a series of thatched huts in the Tenaru Indigenous Reserve in the Rondonia state of Brazil, YEP. About twenty thousand acres big area of the forest in jungle. So he lives in these thatched huts that are scattered about in the middle of nowhere, and they were able to get him on film kind of zoomed in between the cracks and you see the guy kind of looking a little bit, but you can't make out much. So I saw that video and then I saw another one where it was a pretty good shot of him from a distance making good work trying to chop down a tree.
Speaker 3: That was the most recent video, which well, let's just.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and get into this.
Speaker 2: He was found or discovered in I think in nineteen ninety six when some loggers from the State of Rondonia.
Speaker 3: Which from the impression I have, this is a very rough and tumble state populated by loggers and cattle ranchers, and there are very few laws from what I understand, and things are settled by the gun. Is the impression that I have of Rondnia. It's right smack dab in the middle of South America, and it's extraordinarily densely jungled in the Amazon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 2: One New York Times article, like the guy was talking that they were talking to said, from a helicopter, you look down there and you think there's just no one down there.
Speaker 1: It's just all jungle, he said.
Speaker 2: But when you get down there, he said, there's a lot of people and drug runners and bad men everywhere. So this guy is definitely an anomaly because he is not hanging out with anybody.
Speaker 3: No. And the reason why they think he's alone, Chuck, is because back in nineteen ninety five nineteen ninety six, when the rumors of like a wild man in the jungle started to circulate, they think that he had just recently survived a slaughter that had killed off the rest of his tribe.
Speaker 2: Which was only like supposedly five or six people by that point, because they think the rest had been slaughtered and't that that's a common thing We're going to come up on in a couple of these is these ranchers and loggers. They're like, we want to go clear this land, and there's a tribe, a native tribe, they're an indigenous tribe, so let's just slaughter them, get them out of the way.
Speaker 1: It's really, really an awful, awful thing.
Speaker 3: And it's been a very common thing apparently since the seventies and eighties, when ranchers and loggers moved into Rondonia, just snatching up land. And this is again, this is the Amazon. This is basically Christine Forest rainforest that people who have never been contacted by anyone from the outside world live still to this day. And this guy's one of them. So at first they thought maybe Hughes just a member of a tribe that we already know about, right, And then over time as they started to study this guy, it became quite clear that now Hughes, he's a member of a tribe that we didn't know about before, and we're pretty sure he's the last of his kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's this organization called Funai fu NAI, the National Indian Foundation of Brazil, and they have been tasked with for the past twenty years monitoring this dude, and before his companions were killed, monitoring his companions. And you sent a nice follow up on FUNAI. They have a departments and one is called the General Coordination Unit of Uncontacted Indians the CGII, and that was established in nineteen eighty seven and they're the only a department of government in the world which protects indigenous peoples who don't have contact with the outside world or nearby tribes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because before in the nineteenth century and even through a lot of the twentieth century, there was it was just basically Christian missionaries who were making their way into the Amazon to contact tribes and bring them Jesus basically, and also healthcare and food and all that stuff tools the implements of modern culture, but also to proselytize too, and there was a lot of it just wasn't very well thought out. And as a result, even from these these the best of intentions that a lot of these missionaries had a lot of tribes died. So in nineteen ten Brazil came up with their I think it was like the Indian Protection Services was the name of the department that they first came up with, and the Indian Protection Service they took over from the missionaries, and it was a step up in that sense because it was more coordinated. There was thought to it, there was some sort of study, but the point was to take uncontacted Amazonian tribes and bring them into the modern world so that they could assimilate with the modern world. The point was to basically reduce cultural diversity in Brazil and that kept going until the sixties when there was a huge ExPASy about the Indian Protection Service that they had just fallen down so terribly in their mission that there was basically mass extermination, slavery, rape, everything, every horrible thing that you can think of that could befall a human being happened to these tribes under the watch of the Indian Services Protection over sixty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: The department in nineteen eighty seven, the CGII was founded by a man named Sidney Posuelo. I guess how you pronounced that. And this was a big sea change in policy, which was, like you were saying, the previous strategy established contact to try and get them integrated at some point to this new policy, which was don't even contact these people unless they are under serious threat, because history has shown all manner of bad things can happen when you contact these people, one of which is certainly introducing them to new diseases and things that will kill them that they've never never seen or experienced. And this is you know, there's a big debate still on, like what the best policies are here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So these two American anthropologists, white American anthropologists, men who I guess, wrote an open letter in either Science or Nature, I think Nature, basically saying Brazil and Peru should reverse this long standing policy of not contacting Indians in the Amazon and should actually plan peaceful, well organized contact so that they can be better protected. It's these anthropologists stants that if you don't protect them, they're going to die one way or another. That there's no way that they're going to remain isolated. On the long term. Maybe you've got another generation possibly of some of these tribes that could live like this, but beyond that, it's just not going to happen. There's too many power, powerful interests banging on the doors of their preserved areas. Who are more than willing to hire people who will accept money to go kill these people just to get this land. And by just leaving them alone, you're leaving them very vulnerable. Whereas if you plan out contact, then conceivably you can show them that there are things like medical treatment, there is better ways that you can protect them. You can kind of give them contact, and that even more so interviews with groups that have become have initiated contact or have had contact made with them said we would have made contact with you guys earlier, but we thought we were going to be enslaved or murdered or something. We had no idea that you wanted to actually help us. Had we known that, we would have contacted you guys decades ago. So those two things put together, these American anthropologists have said we endorse this, and fu NI and a lot of other groups, including the UN and human rights group in the UK called Survivors International, have said, no, that is totally disrespectful, that flies completely in the face of agreed upon procedure and protocol. Just be quiet, you're being neo colonialists. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting though, because what they're trying to do is, like you said, have very highly controlled contact, and the assumption that they don't want to be contacted, at least through their eyes, appears to be false because, like you mentioned, they're afraid of being kidnapped or something or overtaken. And if had they known, like, oh, you just want to give us some nice tools and maybe inoculate us, and we'd actually be.
Speaker 1: Down with that as long as you leave afterward.
Speaker 3: Right, And these two anthropologists said, like, you've got to do this smartly, Like you basically have to go in with cultural translators, usually tribes who have made contact with outsiders before, already ablished contact that live in the same area, who might be able to translate between the outsiders and the actual uncontacted tribes. And you need healthcare providers who are going to stay there for at least a year, at least a year of sustained care or else. Yes, they're going to die from these diseases you're going to bring in inevitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're good.
Speaker 2: They give good examples too in that article about how this is backfired with missionaries, like the your people, they were there for six months and the missionary said, well, let's go on vacation and then the Yora died a few weeks later, and then in nineteen seventy five, missionaries provided care to a community on Ake community they took a vacation and then they died as well. So they're saying like, you got to have a plan to go in and stay there. You can't just go in, bring them some food and machetes and acculate like spring break, and then then get out of there. But I get the idea that this is still a pretty hot topic of debate.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, that those anthropologists, they set off a huge debate, and I think it was sparked by the video that was released by Survivor International of the man and the Hole chopping down a tree. And the video was taken in twenty eleven, but they only just released it in July of twenty eighteen. And this is, yeah, this is very much still going on, this big debate and it's a huge it's a huge issue and you can kind of see both sides. Like I had just read about Fooneye's counter to it that like, look, dude, this is our thing. We got this. You just mind your own business. We have our own policy, stay out right, stay out of this. Yeah, But then if you read the anthropologists letters, you're like, actually, they have a couple of good points here. So it's it's not a clear cut a picture, sure, one way or the other. It's definitely there's a lot of nuance to it on both sides. All Right, let's take a respite, let's take a furlough or a vacation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll come back and talk a little bit more about the man in the hole.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So the reason they call him the man of the hole or the man in the hole is the odd thing of inside these thatched huts, of which he has several around this area. Inside the huts are these and all over the place there are these holes with like spikes for like trapping animals. But he has these six foot deep holes inside of his own huts, and apparently no other tribes around him have done this, and it's very unusual thing. And the belief is that he is it's for his own protection. I guess if he's being fired upon or something by loggers, he can jump down on one of these holes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the impression I have too, which is extraordinarily sad.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: So the reason why they think that that he has these holes is because he's had terrible run ins. I guess this seems to be evidence that he is the survivor of a slaughter or a massacre, because this is not a normal technique that they've seen with other tribes, and they found it at every single one of the huts that they've come upon of his.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They do know though, from tailing him or mon tailing him, monitoring him for the past couple of decades though, that he he hunts with a bone arrow. He farms probably at night and stays out of the you know, as much as he can. Stays inside during the day out of fear, which is also awful. But he farms like papaya and corn and other fruits and vegetables. He has all these traps set everywhere. Like I mentioned, they have found hand carved arrowheads, torches made from branches in Resin And at one point they actually tried to make.
Speaker 3: Contact, yes, several points.
Speaker 2: Well, at one point when they tried to make contact, though, he fired upon them with his bow and arrow and actually hit someone.
Speaker 3: In the chest, one of the food iye agents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were like, all right, we're out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. At that point they stopped trying to initiate contact with this guy. And again, this is like peaceful contact they're trying to initiate, not like hey man, get off of this land. They're like saying, do you need anything? Do you want some food? What do you want? And the first few attempts to contact him resulted in him just basically slipping into the shadows in the jungle and just disappearing. Then it progressed into standoffs. Then it progressed into a shooting, and so they stepped back. Survivor International and FUNAI and some other groups stepped back and said, this guy is escalating in hostilities. He's showing us he doesn't want anything to do with us, like you. It would be something if like he'd shot the first time and then slipped away the second time and the hostilities were decreasing, but instead it's going the opposite way. The hostilities were increasing. So he's getting that he has the opportunity to contact these people who are coming with their hands up and like not trying to kill him, and he's still saying back off. So finally the government said we're just going to back off, and they backed off. They FUNAI established his policy of not contacting this guy, not even attempting to contact this guy, but instead monitoring him, making sure that his preserve is protected, and then leaving him things like the acts that he was seen using in that twenty eleven video, or seeds for some of the plants that he grows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which a lot of times he doesn't even accept or take these gifts. Imagine he's not retrusting. And like you said, as far as protecting the area, in two thousand and seven, Funai and the government eventually increase the area to thirty one square miles around where he was is off limits to any trespassing or development, later expanded to three thousand hectares.
Speaker 3: So I think they added another three thousand.
Speaker 1: Hectares, okay to the already square mileage.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And this is really ticked off the ranchers and the loggers because they're like, our business is being held back by this one guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they want to kill.
Speaker 3: Him, to kill him. As a matter of fact, when the government announced that it was not only keeping up the practice of preserving this guy's land thirty one square miles, but adding an extra three thousand hectares, which brought the total to forty two and a half square miles or one hundred and ten square kilometers that this man has to himself. The five ranches that surround this preserve hired somebody to go try to kill him. Yeah, Fu and I went and checked on him after a couple of weeks after that announcement was made public, and they found that their outpost was ransacked and that they had found the shotgun shells spent shotgun shells in the fourth floor. So there's clearly an attempt to made on the guy's life, and for a couple of years they had no idea if he'd survived until that video was made in twenty eleven that showed this guy who is now fifty. They've been tracking him since he was in his third fifties. Now they chopping down a tree. Yeah, chopping down a tree like it's nothing. So they knew that he was alive and in good health as of twenty eleven, and they're assuming that he's still alive.
Speaker 2: Man, how good would a movie be about this guy? I know, just have a lot of it play out in silence, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: That would be cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's crazy to see a video of this guy from seven years ago. Like in the world we live in, to think about there's still places on earth where this guy it's almost like the Japanese straggler who had no idea that the war had been over for whatever thirty years living in the jungle. It's just amazing to think about the fact that this is the lone the lone guy out there by himself and what his life must be like.
Speaker 3: But not only that, it's like like when we did the paramedics episode, I think I said something like, there's there's no greater symbol of humanity than paramedics, you know, I think this is another really great symbol of paramedics in this guy. Well. No, the Funai Brazilian government's response to this that this man has been part of a tribe. He's the last of his tribe, and the Brazilian government has said, this man deserves to live his life out in peace in the way that he he wants to, in his traditional way, to be left alone. And we're going to designate one hundred and ten square kilometers that belong to no one but this man. Yeah, despite the fact that all around him is the outside world trying to press in. We're going to stand in the way of that so that this guy can live out his natural life. That just gets me, you know, right in the bread basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the Disney version of this movie is they would find alone tribeswoman somewhere, drop her off and have them have them meet cute by the papie tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the ranchers want to tickle him. But if it were live action these days, it would be they would hire either John Wayne or Fisher Stevens to play the last time.
Speaker 1: Fisher Stevens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember he played the Indian programmer in Short Circuit.
Speaker 1: Really well, that's right, yeah, geez.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was as recently as the eighties.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not like Mickey Rooney, you playing an Asian man in the nineteen sixties. Not like that was any better. No, boy, Hollywood, you've been getting wrong for so long.
Speaker 3: They have. At least Mongol got it right though, right maybe, Yeah, we haven't seen him reserve judgment.
Speaker 1: Should we take another break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, We'll take another break and talk a little bit more about some of these isolated tribes right after this.
Speaker 3: Okay, Chuck, So the last Tribesman, the man in the hole. He's being left alone, and that's policy in Brazil and Peru. From what I understand now, there are some tribes that have actually accepted contact and have made peaceful contact and have become I guess a little more integrated. I think there's three degrees that FUNAI separates tribes into indigenous tribes into there's totally uncontacted, which is like they are living off on their own, they outside world has nothing to do with them. There's partially contacted or partially assimilated, right, like they're they're living in their hut in the jungle, but they still have an iPhone, right. And then there's fully assimilated, where they like live in a city now or something like that, or they have like a job in the city or something like that. So it's not just in the Amazon. It's not just in Brazil where there are uncontacted tribes, although that is definitely the place where you're going to find the most. I think I saw somewhere between fifty eighty and one hundred and twenty uncontacted groups of indigenous people are presumed to be living in the Amazon still today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just those that random swath of numbers shows you that they there's still so much they don't know.
Speaker 3: For sure, but there's there are other parts of the world where there are uncontacted tribes, and you found an article that ran down a few of them. One that surprised me was just off the coast of India, on Sentinel Island in India, North Sentinel, a.
Speaker 2: Good ole cracked article which may have been done under the watch of our now colleague mister Jack O'Brien. Nice shout out to Jack and his daily Zeitgei, Zeitgei's podcast, Yeah, which I was on.
Speaker 3: Have you been on?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 3: You gotta be on. It's great, great fun. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna lap you. I'm gonna go on again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well please.
Speaker 3: Do all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the sentine Leese on North Sentinel Island, Indiana, they don't even know if that's their real name. They just call them that because I guess we have called it North Sentinel Island, not you and me, but other people who.
Speaker 3: Named it to I think the British.
Speaker 2: But apparently yeah, probably. We don't know a lot about them. But in two thousand and six, a couple of fishermen drifted there in their boat near the island and were killed and buried in shallow graves, and helicopters came and they were like, we got to find this burial site and get these guys back at least, and they started firing arrows at the helicopter and it was just out of there, and the local cops were like, now, we're just gonna leave those guys there, We're not going near it.
Speaker 3: They have actually for this has been going on for a very long time. Apparently Marco Polo remarked on them, wrote about them. He was traveling I think the twelfth or thirteenth century, so they've been fierce for years now, and apparently survived the two thousand and four tsunami. Yeah, Indonesia's tsunami. That's crazy because this is an island that the tsunami just swamped and they managed to hang on just fine.
Speaker 2: I think ancient people have survived more than one tsunami, you know.
Speaker 3: I guess you're right. That was a pretty bad one though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty amazing. This other one, the coral Wai tribe of Papua Indonesia. They were contacted in the seventies by of course, missionaries and archaeologists, and they were using stone tools and living in tree huts and stuff like that, and their big belief as a tribe was that the world would be destroyed by an earthquake if they assimilated and changed their customs. So missionary said, all right, you know what, We're just going to leave you alone.
Speaker 3: What I think these people might have invented bungee jumping? Do you remember that land diving up isode them? They sound really familiar.
Speaker 2: I think it might be maybe so, But they are in the middle of nowhere, so it's a long way from even like other remote villages.
Speaker 3: Which is a I mean, that's a mark in your favor for now. But as the Amazon Basin has been showing us since the seventies and eighties, so much of it has disappeared due to clear cutting for ranching, logging, that you just have no idea how much longer that's going to hold up, no matter where you are in the world. Yeah, I mean, we're at seven and a half billion people now, and then I think the next thirty years we're expected to hit ten billion. That's a lot more people that not only need more land, but also are going to be using up those resources that are currently on that land.
Speaker 1: Right now, you know, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, if they discover oil where the Krawai tribe lives in Indonesia, there goes that isolation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably so.
Speaker 3: I think that's a real danger for all tribes. I think that's probably what those two anthropologists we're talking about. They're saying, like, long term, we need a plan here everybody. We can't just be like, well, we just won't contact them because it's just not viable, I think was their point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about this one really was interesting to me.
Speaker 1: The Old Believers. Have you ever heard of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like some GQ article in the last couple of years about that.
Speaker 1: Are they well dressed it?
Speaker 3: I think so? In burlap apparently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are Soviet Well, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy eight, there were these geologists in the Soviet Union that we're looking for iron ore. They were in a helicopter and they saw a cabin way out in the remote areas of Siberia, and they found a family there that actually spoke a language I guess, I mean, what would that be.
Speaker 1: What language?
Speaker 3: Old timey Russian?
Speaker 1: Old timey Russian, uh huh.
Speaker 2: And they were huddled in fear and they were yelling, this is for our sins. They were dressed in burlap and living off the land. And apparently they were a group of people called the Old Believers, which left the Russian Church, the main Russian church in the seventeenth century and had been I guess looked at you know, they kind of went everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was sort of.
Speaker 2: A diaspora for the Old Believers. Some of them just went to other countries and seeking asylum or whatever. And apparently some of them just looked to Siberia and were like, no one's there, so we'll go there.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: It sounds creepy though, the Old Believers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's a terrible name for him. You know. It seems like they could scan you or something to make your head explode. Are they worship Cthulhu or something?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I almost feel like if we should look into them a little more, because I think they could probably hold up their own up.
Speaker 1: And I think he might be right.
Speaker 3: I also remember hearing about families that lived in the Ozark Mountains in the midwest of the United States, I think around Arkansas that had been out of contact, didn't even know the Civil War had happened. They were just that isolated. So yeah, you tend to think of as just strictly indigenous peoples and that it's just in the Amazon, but like, there's groups all over the world, fewer and further between outside of the Amazon because there's less unpopulated areas. But it happens.
Speaker 2: And one of the sad things about all of this is for one of these other tribes that you know, you can go read this cracked article.
Speaker 1: What's it called.
Speaker 3: I didn't see the title. Actually, it's just suddenly there were oh, five isolated groups who had no idea that civilization existed.
Speaker 1: Crrarect lists were always so great, are always so great.
Speaker 3: They've come in handy from time to time.
Speaker 2: But one of the sad things they point out for one of these other tribes is that in Peru, and I imagine in some other South American countries, are these awful things called human safaris where and they will take tourists around to look at uncontacted tribes from afar and close up.
Speaker 3: They're like, here, drain some of this iohusca through your nose, and we're going to go check out some tribes hanging out on a riverbank somewhere.
Speaker 1: Man, so weird.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to add one more thing. I came across an article that wasn't really apropos of what we were talking about, called the Right to Kill on Foreign Policy Magazine, and it's about like this other tangential issue that governments like Brazil have to deal with, which is, like, some of these isolated groups practice things that the outside world finds abhorrent or is illegal in the outside world. Specifically, in this article, in fanticide, if you're born with the disability, and I think about twenty of Brazil's isolated tribes, there's a chance that the community will decide that you need to die again. It's the practice of infanticide. And Brazil's like, we are not quite sure what to do about this because our constitution guarantees everyone in Brazil the right to live, but it also guarantees the indigenous groups the right to live according to their customs. So they have no idea what to do. And it's a big thing about, you know, moral relativism or moral absolutism and which one's correct. And it's really interesting that they're having to think about this right now. Yeah, for sure, it's a really interesting article. Definitely worth reading.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will check it out. Are you talking to me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm talking to everybody, but specifically. Yeah. Well, if you want to know more about isolated tribes, you can look those words up anywhere on the internet and they're going to deliver you some amazing stuff. And since I said that, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 2: Since you said amazing stuff, well look you here, dude, I have a handwritten letter on construction paper.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: That nice? Yes, I love it. Hey, guys, I hope this finds you. Well. My name is Claire and I'm twenty one.
Speaker 2: In fact, for my twenty first birthday, I came and saw you guys live in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Awesome. That was a great show.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: I got to here in college and I'm studying mathematics with a license and education, so I'll be teaching high school math benefan since twenty fifteen. Thank you for the many nights you have calmed me and all the information I've learned. And I've been wanting to write for a while just to say thanks and send appreciation, but also a request and a little something. Whenever you talk about math in any regard, please be more positive.
Speaker 3: Please stop getting it wrong, Please be.
Speaker 2: More positive and encouraging. We're well known for poopoing math and saying I hated math.
Speaker 3: Well, it's so intimidating, it's just so stupid.
Speaker 2: It is, but she says this math is hard and already has a stigma for people who hate it or to hate it. But as a future educator, since you too are sort of educators that reach a huge audience, your outlook and attitude about math is important. It's okay to not like math and think that it's hard, but know that you and anyone can do math. I know it's a silly thing to ask and point out, but I think you could both have a positive impact on the math stigma. I wish you and your wives and Chuck your daughter all the best. Thank you for all of your hard work, and thank Jerry too. Jerry has to put up with you two all the time, so she's definitely been working hard. And she writes sarcasm, smiley face the fabulous day, and that is from Claire and Claire, You're right, we just joke around, but we should take more care with our words about the maths.
Speaker 3: You know what, Frankly, Chuck, I think miss Claire makes a great point that we should just basically take all the jokes out of our podcasts entire just so no one takes it the wrong way. No, just make it nice and neutral. She is right, though, she is right, we should take it easy on.
Speaker 1: Math, she very nicely said, back off math.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, did she draw little Yosemite sam at the bottom there? She did? Oh? Yeah, look at that. Nice. Well, if you want to get in touch with this, like Claire did, you can go to your local post office. We love that place. And you can also instead go to the internet go to stuff youshould Know dot com. Find all of our social media links there, or you can send us a newfangled electronic mail by addressing it to Stuff Podcasts and HowStuffWorks dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.