Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, I want you to do a new beat every time. Hey hey, hey, is that a new beat?
Speaker 2: I mean, well, you know, like it's not my normal like Broadway beat, like hey hey, hey.
Speaker 1: You know, well you know I'm still I'm still learning. I'm still learning.
Speaker 3: I can dig.
Speaker 1: How are you, Mandra.
Speaker 3: I'm doing good. I'm doing really good good.
Speaker 1: I'm Tiffany. I wish forget to introduce ourselves.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, I know who you are.
Speaker 1: Whatever, but people might be new, they might be like, well, who are these people?
Speaker 3: Hey guys, I'm Mandra and.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 2: So I feel like we haven't, like, you know, what's new in the zoo. I saw your ig stories, which I loved of like your updates with like the house renovations. First of all, I love the drawings. Yeah, yeah, that was awesome. Honestly, I was like, oh, I can see it.
Speaker 4: He's like a broke ass property brother documenting my house project.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We're really it's coming along really good. We're getting toward the end. We're having Yeah, we're having some final inspections and talking about furniture now, so it seems like we will we'll definitely get in there before I mean knock on wood before Thanksgiving is still my goal.
Speaker 1: I'm so jealous.
Speaker 2: We're definitely not going to get before Thanksgiving. We've got one of our partments. We're just waiting for the other two, and so it's just we're kind of like a little bit halted. But one good news is that so for the master bath, I've always wanted a separate shower, separate tub, and looking for a tub for Superman has not been easy because he's six it And I found one though, and it's like it's beautiful but not it's big, but not like obnoxiously big, and like his he actually even though he he's got long legs, you know, obviously because he's six six, but it's actually his torso and up that's longer.
Speaker 1: That makes him taller. So he's able to sit in this tub.
Speaker 4: And he's like, I'm like really picturing him in the tub and I feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like we went to this tub place.
Speaker 2: I don't know, have you everard, you know, like lately we've been going to a lot of kind of like off market like bath places, or not even just bath places, but furniture places, like.
Speaker 4: Those places on the highway that you always drive by but like you never really go in until you need a tub.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we went to this place and I really liked it and I was like, okay, sitting it and his legs stretched all the way out. I was like, I think this is the tub. So there's that piece of good news because I didn't know, you know, because I'm he's more of a bath person honestly than I am. Like I'm more of a shower and then occasional bath, but he'll, you know, I feel like he'd take a bath every day if he could. But our baths now is like traditional size, which is like, you know, too small. So yeah for that, I mean, we were moving really quickly and now like grinding to a halt because we're waiting. But I mean I feel I feel like a January move in is likely, which I'm nervous about because of Jersey weather, but you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, all about stress management.
Speaker 3: What else is going on?
Speaker 4: So I officially declared next Tuesday work from home Tuesday for the people that report to me, because I want everyone to have ample time and flexibility to get.
Speaker 3: Out and vote.
Speaker 1: Yes, please Jesus.
Speaker 4: Get out and vote. Get out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It just feels like, if you you know midterm elections, it feels like this has more hype than even even the presidential election day, which is kind of sad to me. But the stakes are huge. The stakes are so huge. I mean, this is going to determine control of the two chambers of Congress. I mean, this is this has massive implications. And if you're upset, if you're feeling like, you know, the government is not working for you, the only thing you can do is vote.
Speaker 1: Exactly. No, I agree, you just like, is this real life?
Speaker 2: I'm wonder, Like I wonder one day when I'm like a grandma, like what my kids or my grandkids will say about this time, Like is it true.
Speaker 1: Grandma that you add an idiot named I'm like, oh lord, girl, I'll talk about those tabs. We call those the doc ages.
Speaker 4: Listen, the Holocaust happened, Slavery happened. We are capable of great terribleness, Like, yes we are. All you know, all we can do is vote, I am.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you one. One.
Speaker 4: One thing that is giving me so much hope right now is so my mom. I've talked about her on the show before. She is the She's the woman that. I think a lot of people are talking about white Midwestern women who voted for Trump, and you know, like, how are they going to vote this time? How is the perception of Trump changed? And like, I don't know, I've I've talked about before how delicate it's been talking to my mom about politics. I mean, we had like terrible, like earth shattering fights the year after the election, and then we just decided we cannot have a relationship if we just talk about politics. So we just stopped altogether. And it's like walking on eggshells with her. You know, I try not to mention anything. It's been difficult, but Okay. I was on the phone with her like a week or two ago and she got quiet, and we were talking about what I was gonna do for the weekend, and she was like, you know, I think I'm gonna go check out The Hate You Give? And I said, what, I haven't even read that book, to be honest, And I was like, you're gonna go see the Hate You Give? Okay, this is and if you guys don't know, that's a movie about a young black teenager in I don't know where it takes place. It was shot in Atlanta, the film itself, but anyway, young black teenager gets pulled away the cops and gets shot, and it's just about the repercussions of that incident. Anyway, my mom was like, yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Go see it. I love the book. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: I was like, Okay. Next thing she said was, you know, I watched the debate she lives in. She lives in Missouri right really really highly contested race per Senate in Missouri right now, where the Democratic incumbent is really in danger of losing her seat. And there's a you know, a Trump uh kind of Trump flag waving Republican is in is her uh is her opponent. And my mom said she had watched the debate and then she was like, I don't really like that that what's his face? I forget his name now, I don't really like that that Republican, you know, but I you know, uh. And she started talking me, saying some positive things about the Democrat candidate, and I was like, Okay, hold your breath, don't screw this up. Don't screw this up, Mandy, shut don't. And then she said, you know, Mandy, I feel like this year is going to be a big year for me. I feel like I am more aware of what's going on and I might be making some changes dot dot dot, and I just said nothing. I literally held my breath and I was like, but inside I'm dancing because I'm like something is shifting, Like she's I feel like if she's been able to sort of change the way that she's voting or at least thinking about politics in a different way, that gives me so much heart and so much hope that maybe we will see some real change with the selection coming up.
Speaker 2: You know, I just think so much has happened where you just can't ignore it. And I love that that because not everyone's open. That's like like because you know my dad and it's like traditional, like you know, older, like you know, especially when when people get older, if they grew up Christian, they tend to be like hyper Christian during that time. And so he was like very much like, you know, I think, you know, homosexuality is bad. When Allen came out, he was like no, no, no, turn off the TV. You know. But then he was like, so, my dad's really big and watching political channels. It was like I love, like, so he loves Rachel Maddow like, oh, when I say loves yo, I was like, looking, I remember he was Tiffy, have you watched Rachel?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I just love Rachel. Oh my god. And I was looking at myself.
Speaker 2: I thought to myself, do you know, Daddy like Rachel, she's as gay as they come.
Speaker 1: I didn't sound him.
Speaker 2: That, but I was like, mm hmm, you love Rachel, don't do you. I don't think he knew at first. And then I don't know if she came out on TV or or if it came out. And then he was like, Tiffany, did you did you know that Rachel was gay?
Speaker 1: I was like, she is?
Speaker 2: And I could see he was grappling with it, like I love Rachel Rachel.
Speaker 1: And so he kind of left it there and still was watching.
Speaker 2: And so and then one day, like maybe last year, my dad was talking casual, talking casually. He was saying something something yeah, Rachel. She was saying that her and her partner that she I couldn't believe it. I was like, did my father say partner?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: And he was just you thinking like her and her partner that they should be able to And I agree, I think that.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, look, at the world changing. You've changed a little ebo man from somebody who just was like, has this singular focus about this is what I don't get homosexuality. So it's it's wrong and it's terrible and this, this and that.
Speaker 2: But then someone that you respect so much and that you think is so awesome happens to be the very thing that you're like must be so terrible and wrong, and it calls him to question what you believe. Man, Not that I think that he's like, you know, I mean, I'm sure he still has his you know, obviously believes about you know, Christianity, but he is realizing that it's not as black and white as as people would make it, you know. And I just love the fact that, like, you know, that if he as old as he is in his seventies can make the switch. I think, like anyone can kind of make the switch.
Speaker 3: So I love that, Tiff.
Speaker 4: I have to tell you, so you know how we talk about my Jamal. Yeah, I have another name. I found out another guy listens and his name is Ian. Okay, hey, Ian, he works with me. And I found out he listened to our podcast and I did I died. He doesn't know what Ian, I know if you're listening.
Speaker 3: I really died.
Speaker 4: He's like, we were on a we were talking about something at work, and he was like, so I heard on that Paychecks and Balances crossover episode. Man, me and my wife are going through something similar, you know where I'm thinking about, uh, you know, covering some whatever. I'm not putting his business out there, but he quoted something from the show and I was like, Ian, shut his face.
Speaker 1: Ya. Isn't it crazy? Like whenever people like, you know, like actually listen.
Speaker 2: I mean it's even when women, I'm like, really, i just always feel like I'm talking to you. I'm like hey, Mandy, and I'm like, wait what, especially when people now because they know I'm not a hugger, so they love hugging me and they give me two one for me, one for you. And so when people like just come up to me and they're like, oh my god, I love the.
Speaker 1: Podcast coming in and said, Hi, how's the house going, and blah blah blah, and I'm like, wow, y'all, really.
Speaker 4: You know, give her two hugs from me y too, and squeeze really hard and linger.
Speaker 2: Don't do that, because I was definitely gonna be like you know what, Oh my goodness, h.
Speaker 1: Oh, anything else from you, mandra.
Speaker 3: Let's move it on to boost and break? How about that?
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 3: I think I got a good one.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are you gonna do? Are you gonna boost? Break? Are you gonna boost? Are you gonna break? Are you gonna booz booz? Are you gonna break? That was a little improblem you welcome.
Speaker 3: That was impressive. They're not always impressive, but that was pretty good. Pretty good. I want to do a break real quick.
Speaker 4: I want to do a break for just I'm just speaking to people out there who are maybe early in their careers or you know, it's a hot job market right now. A lot of people are trying to move around jobs.
Speaker 3: We're hiring a.
Speaker 4: Lot at my company. I'm doing a lot of interviews. I am like just you know, stockpiling tips on resume writing and cover letters and interview process and whatever. But if you're out there and you're in the interview process, here's here's a lesson in what not to do. Okay, So we had an open position here, had a lovely person apply for this job, and after a couple of rounds of interviews and then taking a we give certain positions a test to see if they're qualified. First test was like okay, and then we decided to do a second test because I was a little bit on the fence, and based on that second test and then feedback from a couple of other people who'd be working with, this person, decided decided not to move forward with the applicant and instead of you know, we have a recruiter on our team who's you know, helping us communicate with our applicant because there's so many different candidates out there, and sent this person a letter, just you know, an email just saying you know, we're not you know, we're not going to move forward with your application or.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 4: And I didn't think anything about it until like a week later, that same recruiter we were talking about like the status update, and she was like, just so you guys know, we got a really terrible Glassdoor interview review, which I didn't even know you could review the interview process on Glassdoor. But our company, this this person turned around after not getting a job, was so upset about it, and I guess like the sense of entitlement was so strong that they decided to go to Glassdoor and write a whole like takedown of the interview process and how unprofessional we were and during the interview process. And here's what kills me. It's not just about, you know, don't be a jerk. You know, who writes a you know, a petty review if you don't get a job. But it was it was about this person wasn't terrible, Like, it wasn't in the fact that they didn't have potential that we didn't you know, extend an offer to them. It was there are a lot of other candidates in the mix, and they were just had more experience or they had they were more seasoned than you were. And I legit told the recruiter when I told her to you know, let the candidate off easy, to tell her that I'm happy to mentor her and help her improve on, you know, certain areas. Because I felt this, and I get really like, I you know, this person, I felt like I identify with them. They're young, they're earlier in their career, but they have a lot of potential whatever. But she went and did this, and I'm like, now you have instead of taking that email from the recruiter which says, you know, Mandy's happy to talk to you and emailing me, you know, to ask, you know, hey, I'd love more information on why this did it work out or whatever where I can improve to go and do this like yelp takedown basically of the interview process, like I'm never going to refer you for a job like this is a very small world, you know, the world that I operate in, and it just shocked me that someone would choose to burn a bridge like that and so immaturely. And so if you guys are out there and you're interviewing, just just listen. Like we read the glass door reviews and it's not super hard to tell who it is who's written them based on what you put in there. And just because you get turned down for a job, you know, doesn't mean there there's not an opportunity to make a connection like leave like at least leave a good like. We have jobs open all the time. And the first thing I did when we had these eight opens eight openings come to be as I went back to the last you know, crop of resumes and interviews to say, who did I like from the last batch, is anyone still available? You know, well, we may come around to you in the next round. Like you want to keep that door open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So with my sister, she has since moved from Jersey to Chicago years ago, but she was like, literally there are people that she sees from Jersey, like at the jobs and job interviews in Chicago and in her field. And so that was just really a really foolish move and immature because you just don't know when you're going to see people again. And yeah, it's just burning your bridges is never a good thing if you can help it. And yeah, that was just foolish because now if you were to see her, you know, ten years from now, you might be like, ooh, I don't know, she's that one.
Speaker 1: Seems like a troublemaker, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or just just immature and not willing to have a teaching moment or learn where you can improve, or just like the sense of entitlement.
Speaker 3: Like I thought it went really well.
Speaker 4: The hiring manager had positive feedback, but I still didn't get that, you know, and just to criticize, I don't know, just to take it so personally like that. And I wish her all the best, but I you know, my first job I got in New York City, it was exactly that.
Speaker 1: It was I got.
Speaker 4: I had an internship, and then I got a job from someone who remembered me from that internship, you know, two years later, and then the next job after that, guess what the editorial assistant, which is like the bottom, the lowest rung on the totem pole in publishing. She was now an editor and she remembered me like five years later for a job, and she reached out to me, and at the time she was like really low, but then she became an editor and that you know, she brought me up. So I learn firsthand the value of you. I'm not going to say I'm perfect. Oh there's bridges I have burned, and I regret for sure, but this just struck me. And and I'm just as a warning. You know, glass stores out there, people are using it, and just be careful. You know how you choose to use glass door because people watch and we read and we talk, and it can you can end up hurting yourself down the line. It makes you in ways you may not understand just now in the heat of that emotion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and like you said, don't be Nikki and Cardi if you can help it, basically, right, that's the lesson in all this just.
Speaker 3: Be Queen Latifa.
Speaker 2: So mine, I'm gonna do a small little boost and then like a small little break in a bigger boost. So my computer I've got, like I guess Google Chrome, like that's the that's the browser I use.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if anybody else is using Chrome.
Speaker 2: But for some reason, like the Facebook is setting like the pop up notifications, I can't turn them off. I tried everything, I've googled, everything I've written Facebook, I don't know what happened. And I'm getting I don't want to see Mandy like your picture, someone to send you a message like it just keeps popping up.
Speaker 4: Wait a second, are you that old lady who's using the podcast for tech support?
Speaker 2: And so when I tell you, like yo, it's popping up every two seconds and I can weep.
Speaker 1: And I tried every day. So yeah, that's just my little break, you know.
Speaker 2: I've come to grips with it that just when I see it, I'm just like my left eye twitches.
Speaker 3: Low key notifications.
Speaker 4: I mean, so that's so distracting you if you're at work or trying to get stuff done, like all the pings and the pop ups and the bouncing icons and stuff like, I try to shut that all down.
Speaker 1: It's so and I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna have to find that, you know, some young millennial Techi window.
Speaker 1: I'm getting a new computer. That's it. So that's my little break.
Speaker 2: And those Dagon and it just came out of nowhere, those Dagon notifications.
Speaker 1: Anyway, my booth. Maybe have you been watching Red Table Talks with Jada Pickett and her mom and her daughter.
Speaker 3: I have. I watched.
Speaker 4: I was just listening to the one with Will Smith that came out like last week. Is that what you're gonna talk about?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh my gosh, right right, So the second one just came out.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched the second one yet, but I think I'm gonna have Superman watched the first and second one with.
Speaker 1: Me, but I haven't. I mean, it is so like the first one was so good.
Speaker 2: It's just I just love this the transparency that they're showing, you know that, like everything's not perfect, and how hard they have to work on their marriage, and like the fact, like if you listen, there's so many jewels dropped, Like the fact they went to communication classes, the fact that they set a standard in the beginning, like honestly, Superman and I did that because I was like, I don't I don't want to grow up in that, or I don't want to, you know, yell and cuss and fuss at each other. So we like made that a rule. Meanwhile, I don't know one who breaks it because you know, I don't know. I'm trying to be better. He's the I thought that he was gonna be like the yeller, but I'm the one he's like, why why is your voice raising?
Speaker 1: My way is not raising?
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: He's a way better communicator, mean.
Speaker 2: And while I had all of these rules about how we got to communicate with respect, and I'm the one who I'm like, timpany look at yourself in the mirror, look at yourself. So no, but I just thought it was really beautiful. So I can't wait to watch the second one.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Like even like the story of how they met was pretty amazing and how Will was just really clear that he wanted to get married and he wanted to have a family, and I was talking to like, so Superman. This weekend was that we were at my parents' house and what started off as like, oh, can you help me do this one favorite the basement became like almost a remodel. Have we've been there every We've been there at their house more than our house. And so he was just redoing like the plumbing in their in their master back because there was like a little bit of a leak. My mom wanted a new fixtion because one of the little like the hot handle on the sink wasn't turning. I mean just everything toilet was running. I mean, my mom has gotten her her money's worth, child, and so and even when I brought Supergirl, like we brought Supergirl on Saturday, she gave her a Supergirl because meanwhile, Supergirl is because she's the only child, and like, she's got three adults in her life that like, so she doesn't she's not used to like doing as much stuff as she ought to, quite honestly, because I was always getting on them about she needs to were yours. But as soon as she walked to my mother's house, my mother was like, here's a rag. I'm gonna need you to write down. She looks so shocked, like, wait, I don't I don't understand. I'm like, that's called a rag and we're cleaning. But then my mom ended up giving her like a little bit of money just to be like she's I want her to come back. I'm like, tell clean, mommy. But it was just really like awesome. And I see all that to say that. Somebody hit me behind the scenes and said, dang girl, because I think I like he fixed their sink, and I was I put it on ig Stories and he was entering to the door song he did it, We did it, We did it, Lauren Semos and she was like, danger, hey, you get do all that.
Speaker 1: I can't even get a text back.
Speaker 2: And I just thought, like I don't get him to do all of that, that there are men out there who are already in that space.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's what I like about Red Table Talks is.
Speaker 2: That it shows that you know, sometimes it's like, you know, you have to be open to the fact that sometimes the person that you're wanting, that you're looking for might not look exactly like what the picture you have in your mind, and so you want to be really clear about what you desire in a person. I knew I wanted somebody who was intrinsically kind. I like literally wrote these things down I wanted somebody who was generous, you know, I wanted somebody who was considerate. And like I told myself, if he is a five foot five Asian man, Okay, not to have anything wrong with Asian man, but I'm not naturally attracted to Asia man.
Speaker 1: But I told myself I was going to be open to that much.
Speaker 2: The whoever I love might not look like, you know, like like what I had in my mind, but would feel like what I needed in my life. And you know, Superman happens to be chocolate. So I was like, oh, thank you Jesus. But you know, if he was it, but he had all of those characteristics, you know, I likely would still love him.
Speaker 1: Not likely I would.
Speaker 2: And so I mean, red Table Talks just shows you that there are men out there who are already predisposed to wanting more, and not everybody is playing. Not everybody is like you know, tricking out here in these streets. And so ladies, there's hope. I mean, not that Superman is perfect, because he's not. But like I fell on the toilet the other day. I was like, sir, you know when you leave the toilet set up, I was like, it was like the first time that happened. I'm realized. I'm surprised that you know that hasn't happened more. But like, you know, middles of the night you go to the bathroom. I literally was like, I'm sitting, I'm sitting in town.
Speaker 4: I would have woken him up by pouring a bucket of toilet water on his face.
Speaker 2: Now, I was so because now I'm like, now I've got to wash because what am I gonna go to bed with the WebBook?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I gotta take a full shower at one am. That's what we're doing. So other than that, though, he's great. No, but so yeah, Red Table Talks that is my brown boost.
Speaker 2: If you watch it, tweet us at it's the BA podcast on Twitter, right it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell me like your favorite parts.
Speaker 2: And I haven't watched part two, but you can tweet the those two because I'm sure i'll watch it by the time the years it's on Facebook.
Speaker 5: Yeah cool, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Okay, any any other questions.
Speaker 3: Oh a real question? Okay, cool? Yeah? Oh I always do that. I X out my tab as I'm aimlessly clicking things.
Speaker 2: Well, while we were for Mandy to open her tab. If you've got questions. You can email us at Brown Ambition podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we love your questions. Or you can go to.
Speaker 3: You know what, where can you go? You really good?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I was so happy with myself and then then just like quickly, I don't know, my memory is really terrible, Like I'll have it, and then what will happen is I will I'll get nervous about it, and then I'm like, I don't know it?
Speaker 3: You know what? What's our website?
Speaker 1: Ran a bison podcast?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, so you can help ask us anything and yeah, we'd love your question.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Girl, I'm still shaky sometimes too, But anyone, what's the next question?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 4: I found the question like five minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the cover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a really we have a we have a good question speaking of Christ for help. So this comes from anonymous, Oh clever a dot anonymous. So this listener, I think this is this is a good question. I think everyone can relate to this, she said. He Mandy and Tiffany. I'm absolutely ashamed to be asking this, but after listening to your podcast for so long, I feel like this is a safe space it is to ask this. Anonymous question that I'm sure many of your readers can relate to. What advice can you give to those of us who have a long time, who have a long time to go before achieving our financial and personal goals, Like I'm talking years to get out of debt, build savings, et cetera. Meanwhile, I feel like everyone is glowing up, buying houses, getting married and so on. It makes me so disgusted that I give up hope and just keep digging, going deeper into debt. I think it would be helpful to know how you ladies coped when you were in your struggle phases. Sincerely, Anonymous.
Speaker 2: Hey, I mean, well, I remember when Facebook kind of like when I got on Facebook for the first time and I was like, everyone's.
Speaker 1: Taking vacations every week.
Speaker 2: I just remember being so shocked at like how much the people that like I knew, not like the people I knew closely, but like you know, like folks from college or high school that I don't necessarily talk to anymore, but watching everyone go on vacation and buy nice clothes, And I remember being like, but I'm broke.
Speaker 1: How what am I doing wrong?
Speaker 2: I mean now that like I'm I'm more into it I realized a lot of people were doing that off of credit cards, and so they didn't have what you thought they had. But honestly, here's the thing. And I had to tell this to my friend the other day because he was struggling with like, you know, he's like, I've got a very active social life and I want to still go to the club and vacations with my friends and fancy dinners and blah blah blah. And I said, friend, you can either take the big L for a short period of time that means staying home, saving budgeting, getting yourself together, another stream of income, all of that for a short period of time, like really grind during the shorter period of time, or you could take a small L the rest of your life, meaning like you're always on the cusp of struggling forever, you know, because if you don't reset, you know, and build from a strong foundation, then it's like you're always going to be just that close to being broke, just that close to like.
Speaker 1: You know, check to check.
Speaker 2: And so it just took me, honestly too, and it might take you staying off social media for why I know I did, and just I had to focus and it took me about maybe like three or four years to like get past broke, and then like another two years to get to get to a point.
Speaker 1: Where I wasn't just beyond broke.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, you're okay, and then another year to be better than okay.
Speaker 1: So it took some time.
Speaker 2: But if I had not taken that l you know, and during that period of time, I would still be semi struggling, but forever.
Speaker 1: And I didn't want to be eighty and semi struggling. I was like, well, let me just take a few years and for me to be uncomfortable in order for me to have the life that I want later. So that's my advice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think as much as you can try and well try and first of all, but at social media, I would say, take a break from social media if you feel like people are posting there, if it's people like Okay, listen, Tip and I have been talking about our break and home renovations like crazy people for you know, a year now, and it may seem like, well, geez, they just got a house out of nowhere. They're doing so well and I'm doing so so not well. You know, ask people, how did you how did you get to a place where you could afford a home? Okay, I started saving when I was twenty two years old. I was part of a company that got acquired. I made money off of that, so I'll be upfront about that. I changed jobs until I got you know, equity, and equity has been beneficial to me too my.
Speaker 3: Last two jobs.
Speaker 4: So there's steps that I took to get to a place where I could afford a house. So I feel like, instead of feeling down about it, like talk to people about the steps they took to get to where they are, even if it's like offline or whatever. You know, just like off the record to hear the story behind what seems like a super easy, you know, accomplishment that they may just like post about on social media. And be clear about your goals and what you want, because that's what could be agonizing, Like if you're not sure what you want and then you see everyone else doing something and you think, is that what I should want? I don't have that yet, you know I should want that. I want that, nah, And then you start feeling terrible about yourself, you know, around for me buying a house that I had to I had to really have come to Jesus' situation with myself. Do I really want a house? And what does that say about me? And how I how I used my money that I've worked hard to build up, you know, and I had and I and I'll tell you point blank, I've struggled with going back and forth. You know, is buying a house the right thing? Is this the right way to invest my money? I don't have it entirely figured it out. Like, talk to me in ten years and I'll tell you if it was a good idea that I, you know, bought this house.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So just all you can do, I think, is talk to people and then listen to their self doubt, you know, listen to their insecurity, listen to you know, the steps they took to accomplish those goals, to maybe learn something from them or to take art in the fact that not everyone has everything figgled figured out, and then dust your hands off and get back to work on accomplishing your goals, because, you know, steeping yourself and feelings of negativity or in scarcity or feeling like you're never going to accomplish your goals, that that definitely won't get you to your goals. You know, that's the sure fire away not to accomplish your goals, but think about the actionable things you can do to get there, and you know, if there's any drastic changes you could make to to put yourself on the track that you want to that you want to be on.
Speaker 1: And then too finding like like finding like your squad, because like having a group of peers who too, who also was kind of like in the same space, like wanting to do more, you know, still.
Speaker 2: Struggling a little bit, and so I have like a squad of people that we kind of grew up together. And it was random. Some people I met at coffee shops, some people I met at networking events, some people small business association. Just so so as I started to build like those people and it didn't mean that we all collectively hung out together, but like, you know, my friend Cabral or my friend Mark, they're not necessarily friends, but these are folks that when I was building, so were they. So it normalized the process of like I don't have it. I remember, like like maybe a couple years ago when I was really struggling and I was like, oh, Mark, man, I'm you know, I didn't I didn't you know, like I'm laid on my bills.
Speaker 1: He was like ooh, I thought I was the only one.
Speaker 2: And we both started laughing, and it normalized the process for us, like, Okay, laid on your bills happened, You didn't kill anybody, And so now marked us very well.
Speaker 1: He's got like five or six laundromats.
Speaker 2: And Charlotte, North Carolina. He had an investment property in Newark that he sold recently, and so like we laugh about those times. So finding like people in your position that are also growing and building is going to help too, because it will normalize that this part of the of the journey is is okay, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 1: It's just this is part of the journey.
Speaker 4: I had to cut a friend early in my twenties who was she had money when none of us did, and we would go out and she would want to pay for everything, but then like low key, make you feel bad for not wanting to pay for everything. And it was a really toxic friendship and it was almost like we were the friends that she kept around to make herself feel better about where she.
Speaker 3: Was at financially.
Speaker 4: Okay, And as soon as I recognize that I was like, Ann, I'm done. I mean it took me like a few years of this toxic friendship, but I cut that friend out. And you know, if there's people in your life who who aren't you know, making who aren't supporting you or like being your cheerleader or your champion, you feel like you can't open up to them, just cut them, cut them out of your life.
Speaker 2: And well, cut them out of your life, said, cut them, like take that night, Cirl.
Speaker 3: I mean it might come to that, but hopefully not.
Speaker 4: No, that's awesome though, but I mean, yeah, we both, I mean we want us to go down our list of struggles.
Speaker 3: There's a long list of struggles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we're right there with you. And thank you for listening to this podcast. And yeah, hopefully you get support beyond this show, but actually talking to people in your network or your family or your friends so that you don't feel so alone, because you're definitely not.
Speaker 1: You're definitely not. The truth is not to shade the folks who are who are posting all this soff.
Speaker 2: Honestly, more people are struggling than you know. And I'm not saying that in a judgmental way and anything else, but like just because someone is on vacation or they bought a car, or they've got you know, like dope clothes or whatever, that does not mean that they're excluded from the financial struggle. So outward expression of wealth and money has nothing to do with what people really have. I mean, I've seen people that are like, You're like, you have money, but you look but you look homeless.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I've seen people who look like they have money and they actually do have money. And then I've seen people who look like wealth and are totally broke. So there's no way to tell basically like what people have. And you know, so a lot of people it might be stunting for the gram, you know, their Facebook, Facebook what is this? So they have a Facebook fortune, you know, and that's not necessarily true. So just know that, like, you know, not all things are real. It's like, you know, the beautiful models on the in the magazine that yes, these women.
Speaker 1: Are beautiful, but you know they're also touched up. So everybody does a little touch upon their life for social media.
Speaker 3: Ay Man, that Mayfair filter though, that's my jam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like Mayfair. There isn't another one that I like too.
Speaker 4: Yeahs all right, Thank you anonymousphere question. And again, you guys can go to Brand Ambition podcast dot com ask us anything to send us a question, or you can hit us up at Brand Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com with your question.
Speaker 1: Yes ma'am now just said dot com.
Speaker 4: Oh I know, I said, yes ma'am.
Speaker 1: All right, those are really great questions. So what do we usually end with this? That would we end with?
Speaker 4: I think they were supposed to do the boost at the end now, but like I forgot.
Speaker 1: No, but this is awesome.
Speaker 2: I honestly just and honestly I love that the feedback that we got from the Battle of the Sex, and so many people hit me up and said do that again? Honestly, so I would love to have, like, you know, to to have We'd love to have more people on the podcast and more guys to kind of give their point of view. And this time we should really have a battle because I feel like that was everybody was so nice, and we need the gloves to come.
Speaker 3: Off, you know, they all talk like this bedroom voices.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe we should have the Huggies on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't know who.
Speaker 1: That would be kind of fun though.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, Superman already thinks that he's part of the podcast, so I feel like if I feel like
Speaker 1: That he might be partially open to that