Speaker 1: This is the OTP presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans. When it's game day for your health coverage, trust Farm Bureau Health Plans to draw up a winning play for you. They've been backing Tennesseeans for nearly eighty years. Head coach Brian Callahan, good to see you, Good to be here. A lot of questions about your special teams and your press conference today. You mentioned that you're taking an all hands on deck approach to fix what ails you in that area, which amount expanding on how you go about the all hands on deck theory in a moment like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you try to find solutions anywhere you can find them. Obviously, what happened on Sunday is not acceptable in any way, shape or form, and we have to find a way to rectify whatever those issues are. And there's several and they all play into each other, and so some of it's about finding who else can help us. Is there guys that are starting that can play more force on special teams. Is there guys in our practice squad that might be able to make an impact, as there guys outside of our building somewhere that could help us. So that's all part of the process. And then refining what we do fundamentally, what are what we do schematically, what are the things that hurt us why? And then how do we prevent that? And part of our issue on special teams thus far has been early in the season was protection.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: So we we fortified our protection unit, got some bigger bodies in there, put Jalen Harrow in there, put Nick Vannette in there at the wing, and you know, all three tight ends or you know with Chig and Wilier that they're all in the in the middle to try to fortify some of the rush issues we had early on, and and it's been good. Those guys have done a really nice job in protection. But then there's a coverage out element that you know, you're you're sort of taking heavier, sturdier, more stout bodies, and now you have to go cover the punts. And we haven't gotten down the field with enough speed, tempo all those things to and then when we've gotten down there, we've missed some tackles.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then the other part of it is the punter has a job to do too. Knowing that we can't maybe cover the punts down the field that way, how do we how do we help that with the punt? Do we got to hang the punp more? Do we directionally punt all those things? So it's just that it's total evaluation of where where we can help the unit. And really, you know, specifically we're talking about our two return our two coverage units, the punt and the kickoff, and that's where we've you've given up yardage that you know, helps losey games when you when you give up yardage like that.
Speaker 4: So as it pertains to hang time. Specifically, in asking Ryan Stonehouse to get more hang time on his punts, are you asking him to change his punting style?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't. I don't profess to be a punting guru, but certainly there's some things that we ask of him that because of the situation we're in to help our team, that's one of the things that we need to do a better job of to put us in position to have us get a chance to at the very minimum for some fair catches. So we don't, you know, put our guys in harm's way. So there's probably some stylistic change to it. I couldn't tell you what that necessari sarily would be. You know, in the weeds of it all.
Speaker 1: All right, So yesterday you had a statistical advantage all day long and certainly at the end of the game, but because of the special teams issues that didn't end up mattering. Is one of the more disappointing elements on the day that you did some things well on offense, and you did some things well on defense, but special team's mistakes kept you from just sort of playing the Detroit Lions straight up. Almost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a really weird game in that regard, you know, And I think it's not just the special teams. I mean, we turn them all over four time on offense, two of which gave them plus field position on top of it, and then to respond, we gave up five touchdowns in the red zone. And that's a for a better, lack of a better term, a calamity of errors that that allowed them to score fifty two points. And a huge part of that is because we didn't help ourselves in any phase help the other phase.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: We we kind of went back and forth early. It felt like it was a long time and all of a sudden you look up, it's on the top of the second quarter. But there was there was moments where I thought we were really good defensively. There was moments and where I thought we moved the ball it was as well as probably passed the ball in terms of timing and efficiency. And Calvin had a big day, which was good to see from him. He bounced back in a big way after a disappointing week last week. And I just think that it's it's unfortunate that we didn't put ourselves in position to if we were going to get beat, let's get let's get beat, you know, right, and we didn't give her chanceself a chance to even do that.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's what I was really asking. Let me say it another when it's fourteen fourteen. Okay, you've had an interception and that wasn't probably a great decision, and you've given up a seventy yard run not great, But it's fourteen fourteen. You're right there, and I mean, if you go out and you kick them deeper they get a touch back, then we're playing ball fourteen fourteen and they're probably the best team in the NFC. Maybe they win the game, But it seemed like the most disappointing part is I would have liked to have seen that game, yes, And I have a feeling Brian Callahan knows what I mean.
Speaker 2: By yeah, Absolutely, I would have. I would love to see us, you know, go toe to toe in a game that you know, you're not going to have a perfect game. You're gonna make mistakes and they're gonna make mistakes, and that's just the gateway the game goes. But I would have liked to see what. I thought our team was in a great place. I thought they had great energy coming out, the way the defense started the game, and I just there was a lot of things about that game and I was excited about and I thought we moved the ball in a defense that I thought was maybe one of the better ones I've seen on tape all year, and I thought we did some really good things. And there's a lot of positive things to take away from it, except for the fact that you know, we didn't score more than fourteen points. And you know, they're just things that I was hoping that that we're ready to be ready to sort of take a jump, and I think we did in some areas and maybe smaller than I would have hoped. But I just thought we were ready to play that game and I thought our guys were in a great place and to just have it unfold the way it did is unfortunate because I think I was I felt like we were going to play a good football game against that team.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the performance of Calvin Ridley. What was it about that game anything that enabled you to get him going so early?
Speaker 2: First things first, I think our protection was good. We had a solid day in pass protection. That always is the starting point. I thought Mason played on time. He looked comfortable, He was accurate with the ball, especially early in that game. I mean he was, he was finding himself a bit of a rhythm. I think our offense found a bit of a rhythm on top of it, and Calvin was the beneficiary. He got some some mad We got a matched up on on the long ball down the right sideline, got him matched up on on their nickel, which is good on the on the inside fade. We got a match up against branch, which is you know, kind of their safety. So he got some matchups that were favorable and he won, and he made big plays and you know, he just he played with a ton of confidence. That was a Calvin that we've been waiting to see.
Speaker 1: How do you keep that going with him.
Speaker 2: I think he's in a great place right now, and I think that you you know, he's going to keep making plays in the balls they get thrown to him. And you know, I think he refocused his process. You know, I don't know if he'd be mad at me for sharing this or not, but you know, he he looked back and felt like, you know, I just maybe I'm not doing the right things or enough things in my preparation. And you know, every morning this week I look outside of my office and about seven am, the jugs machines running, and Calvin's out there catching I think he catches, you know, two two hundred dish balls out there in the morning before it starts his day. And you know, I thought that was that's how you that's how you do something about it. That's how you go about I need to do something different or more and how do I best do that while making sure I improve and play well for for our team. And I thought that was a great example of a of a guy trying to find a way out of the struggle. And he's been a little bit of the struggle and I just really appreciate how he goes about his business and it was I think it paid off.
Speaker 4: How do you plan to start the week at the right tackle position.
Speaker 2: Same as last week? Really, I mean there's only so many, you know, options we have, and you know, Leary did some good things and John did some good things. They both played some we'll probably keep that up and those things that improved. There was also some things that that got me. Still had some penalties and some things that weren't great. So we're just going to keep that as it is, and you know, as Isaiah gets more comfortable, we'll see where he's at. Isaiah Prince, excuse me, but we'll see where he's at.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned him, you signed him last week the practice squad. He's a guy you have familiarity with from the days in Cincinnati, actually started your suit bowld there. What does he have to start doing to legitimately get into that competition?
Speaker 2: Just knowing what to do, that's the first part. Understanding how things get taught and techniques and all those things, and you know, I think something you could get up to speed. He did a good job this last week and we'll just kind of see where it keeps progressing. But yeah, I mean he's got some experience he's played, and then my you know's there's a lot of football season left, and you know, we all know that injuries can be a part of it, and so we're gonna need all these guys to be able to play for us.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about leadership a little bit, because there's a lot of guys Arden, Keyamani Hooker, Quadri Diggs, Tony Pollard that are showing leadership not necessarily by what they're saying, but by their play on the field. How valuable is that to you right now?
Speaker 2: Incredibly? I actually pointed it out to our team in our team meeting today. Just just two plays at the end of the game, when it's fifty two to fourteen, and Jeff and Harold and Arden and those guys on Deep and Roger or are playing with the same intensity they played with at the first snap, and Tony Pollard's carrying a ball with the same speed and violence that he carries it the first time. And it just to me, that's that's what you know when people ask me like, how do you how do you believe in what in what you believe in, and why do you think the way you think? I see things like that where I know we're made of the right stuff, and we've got to stop, you know, putting ourselves in positions like we have. We're giving balls away or giving short fields and allowing what I think is one of our strengths. It's the way our guys play, how hard they play, how physical they play, to actually be able to benefit us. And that's where my belief comes from. Is watching those guys do that in their leadership in those moments is you know everyone's watching that, and to see that those guys continue to perform late in the game that really is over was I thought worth pointing out and worth mentioning and shows the character of those guys as leaders. That's the first thing is you got to take care of your own house a little bit and do do your job as well as you can as long as you can, and guys follow that.
Speaker 4: Hey Titans fans, with a Kroger Boost membership, you'll score big with double fuel points, free delivery, and lots more. Go to Kroger dot com slash Boost for details. Kroger Official grocer of the Tennessee Titans. Tighten Up.
Speaker 1: Holme is at the forefront of all that we do. It's why we're so committed to caring for the places and spaces in which we work and live. Ashley the official furniture provider of the Tennessee Titans. More with head coach Brian Callahan. What must will Levice show you during the course of this week to have a chance to get back on the field Sunday against the Patriots at quarterback?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one that he feels you know able to throw the football without much hindrance. You know, you can find all the arm angles and different throws, and then the distance of the throws, and then being able to make the throws where you have pressure in pockets. It's easy to stand out there and throw in shorts and just toss the ball. You know, it's it's about the rest of it. Can you play the position the way it needs to be played under durest, which is you know you are a quarterback at some point in every game? Can he make those throws? And then you know, just the haven't been off a bit too? Is there is there a rust factor? Is you ready to kind of go playball at the level that's required to play at the NFL quarterback position?
Speaker 1: So we're gonna see you kind of shut him down last week more or less, I did yes, And what was behind that decision just.
Speaker 2: To make sure that the injury that he has just requires rest. The more you try to kind of push through and fire through it and keep throwing it doesn't ever give it a chance to heal enough to be able to feel good. And so the intent was just to say, I know you're gonna be out and we're gonna keep you out and you're not gonna throw, as opposed to like trying to see if you can go and see if you can go, because it's kind of what happened coming off the buy with the Indie week. See if I can go, see if I can go. I feel good, I go, I play, I come back the next week. It's like I'm trying to push through, but it's it's now not improved. It's only gotten you know, harder to fight through because it's it's you get tired and it's not the same. So I was like, and we made him practice that, we try to see if he could fight through it, and then ultimately couldn't. And so it was like, you know, we just need to just need rest, and that's that's the best remedy for for what he's got going, so hopefully that there's the time off has been good, he feels good, and then we'll see when when we start to throw the football.
Speaker 4: There's a medical rest. But then there's also kind of a save you from yourself. You don't even have to worry about the mental pushing of trying to get back and trying to fight through something. Right, you would think that both of those would be helpful to.
Speaker 2: Him, I would think so. I think if you asked him, he might he might probably say the same. I. You know, there's all these all these guys. They're they're tough, and they want to play, and they want to be there for their teammates, and they want to fight through injury, and and everybody's got something right now. It's just they all do. They're all fighting through something, some more than others. But that's just the nature of the business and what football requires. And so most players, because they understand everybody else is dealing with something, don't.
Speaker 5: Ever really want to.
Speaker 2: If they feel like they can help the team, they're going to try to go help him win. But my job is ultimately to decide whether that's they're at the level that can actually help the team. Versus one that would would put them in maybe harms way or put the team at a detriment because they're not at full strength. And so that's I made that decision last week, and I'll make it again this week. If it feels like that's the case.
Speaker 4: Well, let's talk about some other guys that you have some decisions to make on. Guys like Lagerious Sneed, Taja Spears. Can we expect to see them back or getting closer to practice this week?
Speaker 2: The Jerious is still sort of on the end. We'll see Wednesday where he's at. I'm not as optimistic right now, but we'll see Taj. I am much more optimistic. I would think that TAJA's got a good shot at being available. He almost you know, he kind of fought through, repracticed last week some and and just felt like at the end of the week he couldn't quite go the way he needed to. But I thought he was close. And so hopefully this week is the week for Taj to make it back.
Speaker 1: Well, new linebacker jer Home Baker have a role this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see. We'll see how he fits in. You know, there's different style player, uh than than than Ernest was see what the role is going to be. He's get you know, new similar defense in Seattle with with Mike McDonald, but uh, see where he fits for us and how much he can pick up in a in a week. And again last week was just sort of getting your feet wet and finding out, you know, where your locker is and all that stuff. And so we'll see, we'll see how that that progresses. I'm I'm hopeful that we can find a role for him.
Speaker 4: What was the final decision on activating linebacker Cedric Gray from the practice squad?
Speaker 2: You know, just a young linebacker that maybe and then one of those one of those guys that may be able to help on special teams with some some of the the way he plays and and how he plays with some instinctiveness and some speed and all those things that might help us. So yeah, it was it was time to get him going and see if he can help us.
Speaker 1: Do you just say to a guy like Cedric Gray, uh, you know, we'd like for you to really cover kicks? Well, yeah, say hey, yes, hey, young fella, here's your opportunity. You've been waiting a long time for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's part of it. That's that's how young players in the league cut their teeth and where they start. And then you just you gain experience and gain exposure and playing the game and then hopefully you can grow into a role that helps you on the defensive side.
Speaker 1: First thoughts on Geried Mayo and the New England Patriots, your opponent for Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tough team, physical, they run the ball. Their defense is still very much a New England defense. I see, there's you know, they have the similarities. That's always been a good defensive football team. So yeah, you see all of the things about New England that's made them New England and they look the part.
Speaker 4: Another week, another opponent whose quarterback situation is up in the air. Are you tired of this story yet?
Speaker 2: I don't even That doesn't even phaze me anymore, to be honest, It's just part of where some of these teams are. And you know it's they got a young talented player they drafted that they that has played pretty good. And uh, you know, you can always you can always find to Kobe finding his way into a game and playing well. You know, it's just kind of what he does. And you know, at least they're not too stylistically different. You know, it's not like you're dealing with two very distinct offensive pieces. They both are kind of passers and have some body to move, but they're their offense won't change a time depending on who's in the game.
Speaker 1: Thanks for your time as usual, We appreciate you. Brian calliyan yep, thanks for having me. All right. So on Sunday, the Titans take on Gerard Mayo and the Patriots. Our Ramone Foster was actually his roommate in college, so we got Ramone to stop by for a visit. Take a listen to this. I want to start with an offensive line question about the NFL, and it's about Bradley Boseman. Oh, Bradley Boseman, who is an offensive lineman for the Los Angeles Chargers. Chargers beat the Saints yesterday. Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert has a bad ankle. Defensive lineman Nathan Shepherd knows this. As Herbert is releasing a pass in yesterday's game, Shepherd grabs that ankle, and then after the ball is clearly gone, he holds on and maybe gives Herbert a bit of a twist, to which Boseman is none too pleased, and the offensive lineman takes a line drive towards Shepherd, knocking him off and getting a fifteen yard penalty. So let's start with the first part for you as a former offensive lineman, does Bradley Boseman have to do this?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, yes, seven days a week, okay, and especially on game day till things about that one. We always heard NFL's a brotherhood, right, there's the ability to play against one another, and at the end of the day, the livelihood of what we do is what's most important. That's the first thing, right. So the defensive lineman that grab the ankle, that's flagrant. And I know brothers fight all the time, but here's the other side of family and brothership too. Brotherhood is I must be able to also correct you when you do bad. And seeing Boseman do that yesterday, it was the appropriate measure to take. When you are a team that's new head coach, a franchise quarterback that you must take care of. And you see when the play is already you know, the ball has already gone from his hands to twist and the turn of the ankle, that's breaking the rules right there. So because of that there has to be a consequence, and I don't fault them. I'm sure he's gonna receive a fine behind that, But that's the appropriate measures to take right there, Mike. And if you have the right type of quarterback and teammate, he'll somehow cover that fine for you.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna ask about that part. So he got a fifteen yard penalty, dude, Bojman, he will certainly be fined for that. Does Herbert pay that fine? To the rest of the out offensive lineman paid? Does the offensive line room paid the fine? Does everybody on the team chip in? How does that work on a real NFL team?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: The way that works is the quarterback will find a way to give him that money and he'll be taken care of.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: And what it also does for Bozman is it gains more stock for him for everybody in the building. You don't allow those types of things to happen. Yes, I was flavoring, but what he did was even more flagorant. I've been in situations like that where a guy would come and hit the quarterback late, and the defense of the guy that takes care of you, you must also take care of him. Especially when it's a Greages as it was yesterday. So yes, the quarterback usually and he's a second contract guy in today's NFL, that'll be a drop in the.
Speaker 5: Bucket for what he receives.
Speaker 3: Man if here's the other thing too, if Bozeman gets a fine because maybe because.
Speaker 5: Of the laws and the rules that.
Speaker 3: You know, coach Rummy, John Ryan and NFL front office may have to just administer that fine anyway. But the understanding that John Royne also played football and can understand context of why a player does a certain thing. Maybe in play a little bit right there, but so much as game from Bozeman, and as far as his teammates, especially his quarterback, and just the team and leadership.
Speaker 1: And who is head coach is Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 3: It was Mike, It would be even worse if neither of the lineman did anything. That's the way you asked me, what is the football team? What does a quarterback do? In those moments like That's where you become closer. That's where the fight us versus them matters more in moments like that. And if they had had done nothing, can you imagine the talking has us speaking about what is this offensive lineman. We do call them the big old s word that you never call big men at the three hundred pounders soft. You know, we beat having that conversation because there's a lot of unwritten rules in football, the same way they are in baseball.
Speaker 4: So that goes to not only just the quarterback and the offensive line. In that chemistry, there's a whole locker room. There is a competition of the team or the composition of the team. Excuse me, reflected in that one action, like he has to do it for the.
Speaker 3: Whole team easily, Yes, easily. Again, it's happened before. It happens all the time. It's just a matter can you survive those moments where bad stuff happens and then you get a fine or you get a penalty and you go on to win the game. Those are the things that have to happen. But what it does is it brings you closer, as that just said, like, you know, like the team becomes closer, the offense, like it's taken more serious when those types of things happen. And it just I've always been told and understand now that the leadership and tone of your team starts with those big three hundred pounds offensively and defensively. So if you, as a big human being, allow your small human being, your quarterback, whide receiver, running back to just get bullied and you do nothing, Imagine Mike.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if you have a big brother or if you're a big brother, but if.
Speaker 3: Your younger sibling gets beat up by an older guy or gets bullied and you just walk away from him, your little brother's gonna feel a certain type of way about you. Where's my protection? And that's the whole embotdoment of the position of the offensive lineman. Create space, protect and be the guys that lead out front. And I think that's what we saw from the Chargers offensive lineman. He was not going to take it for somebody that couldn't defend himself in that moment.
Speaker 5: Right there, And you gain a lot.
Speaker 3: And I'm almost philosophical about this because I love seeing that.
Speaker 5: I had a guy in.
Speaker 3: Detroit ask me, how do you feel about the offensive line and the play? Well, after seeing that play from Bozman, I feel a whole lot better across the league, knowing that the integrity of playing that position.
Speaker 5: Means a lot.
Speaker 4: That's interesting that you say that, were you feeling at any point as though what it meant to be an offensive lineman in the National Football League was changing from maybe when you played, or from what it has been historically over the last ten, fifteen to twenty years. Were you sensing a change throughout the league and what that position really meant a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, because it starts and it's out of their hands. It starts with the style of offense that you choosing to run. Back in the day, every quarterback started off under center. Right nowadays we see them clap their hands or give a cadence or you know, raise the leg as far as running the ball, and those guys have to do what they're told as far as offensive lineman, and there's not much control if a coach wants to throw the ball in a running situation, because that's where offenses are. They're more analytics and style and ability to be able to morph into a different type of offense. It's where you've taken away from offensive linemen to where back in let's go two thousand and five, the premier players in the NFL were running backs. Well, who's leading the way with that big offensive lineman that move guys around, So yeah, you do have those questions Amy as it pertains to what are guys being taught at the high school level, college level when they come into the NFL. Do they still have that same aggressiveness or is it for neess and throwing the ball down the yard the ways been perceived.
Speaker 5: It's still a big man game.
Speaker 3: Anybody that ever watched and analyzed this football like game that we play realizes is.
Speaker 5: One with Biggs. You got good ones, you're probably gonna be good.
Speaker 3: If you got bad ones, you're trying to find the good ones, you know, and seeing that from him shows that like God's care still and the DNA of the NFL offensive lineman is still there.
Speaker 1: How impressed were you with the Detroit Lions yesterday?
Speaker 3: They had their transgressions, I will say that first and foremost, but their ability to stay consistent, their ability to show the athletic ability and just force and drive and control the line of scrimmage. I was highly impressed. Coach Max said in our pre game on Titan Radio, from right to left, they may be the best offensive line now. First player the game, arden Key has something to say about that, But that happens when you play this sport. You're gonna get got, but the consistency in which they played, the way they bounced around Mike Amy, the way they run up and down the field, and you can see them being the first guys out. I even saw something that was super unique, and I don't know if many people played paid attention to it, but they started off their intros with the bigs, you know, like they started introducing the biggs, and that crowd got so loud because the understanding of why Detroit is what they are is because of those five guys up front and watching them be.
Speaker 5: As athletic as they are. Can they Soul I don't even think.
Speaker 3: He's six ' four and as athletic as he is in as strong and agile, says a lot about where it started to change as far as the importance, and not just the left side, but the right side too, Like I think we're starting to realize that too. It goes from right to left. And Detroit probably has one of the best models them and hate to even mention them, but Indie possibly too.
Speaker 4: You mentioned that Detroit was not without its transgression and that there were some times where they got got is the mark of a good team, not that they are able to play a clean game, but they are able to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves and turn it into big plays, big moments and points.
Speaker 3: It is and it goes back to the I'll use the tendanc evolves a situation. Right, here's the game maxims. The team that makes this feels mistakes win. Mistakes are going to happen when you got five guys trying to work it once as far as an offensive line, somebody's gonna give it up here. There's a matter of can we not point fingers, how quickly can we correct it, and how quick can we get something good out of it? And I think we saw Detroit on Sunday get something good quick and bad moments and they didn't let it carry over.
Speaker 5: And the other side is they.
Speaker 3: Had answers for you know, the Titans come down to score and guess what they immediately do, and it just helps you build confidence when this type of stuff happened. But that Jamor Gibbs seventy yard runs probably one of the more cleanest, just thoroughly.
Speaker 5: Block plays I've seen in football period.
Speaker 3: And that's what good teams do, is be in a back and forth and the execution of plays always come to the forefront of all things that you're doing. And that's what they did as far as that offensive line go, because that was just big on Biggs with a little contribution from the tight ends.
Speaker 1: Detroit's never been to a Super Bowl. Does this team get there?
Speaker 5: They have the makeups of it. They do.
Speaker 3: I do think missing Aiden Hutchison might show his ugly head somewhere down the line. But here's what we do know.
Speaker 5: They got the ability to go get guys.
Speaker 3: Because when you have a window or garage door that's opened as far as the Super Bowl window, you do whatever it takes. And they know what they may be missing production at the defensive end. But looking at their interior D line, O line, linebackers and backfield. As far as the running backs, Mike, we can say all we want to about. You know, Jared Goff can spend the ball down the field and you know they gotta Ben Johnson can call the plays as it all as a coordinator. But with those those two groups I mentioned those four groups, the interior D line, the linebackers, they got good ones, the offensive line, and the running backs they got good ones. That's the winning recipe for winning Super Bowls as much as we'll talk about.
Speaker 5: Passick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson throwing the football around.
Speaker 1: Yes, they do schedule wise and where they stand. To me, they're the number one team right now in the NFC. The number two team is Washington. Wow, dan Quinn and Washington have if the playoffs started today, have the number two seed. They won yesterday with a Hail Mary over Chicago Noah Brown with the big play. But most of the attention today has been in Chicago about Tyreek Stevenson and him busy taunting the Washington fans as the play started. Is there a punishment for Tyreek Stevenson for that? And if so, what's an appropriate punishment for Tyreek Stevenson today?
Speaker 3: It starts in the team meeting today, putting him up in front of everybody saying.
Speaker 5: His piece good or bad, but you gotta be held accountable.
Speaker 1: That he needs to stand up and like he would be called up, or he just needs to raise his hand and say I have something to say. How does that work?
Speaker 5: Both of them?
Speaker 3: And one thing I hated about team meetings and losses is the coach's voice just echo. After that, they have the little red laser pin and that big screen to point out the bad and if I was their head coach, Eberflus correct, I am fast forwarding, I'm rewinding, I am fast forwarding. I am rewinding and circling you with my red laser pan and say what.
Speaker 5: Were you thinking? What are you thinking?
Speaker 3: And afterwards I'd say, hey, what do you have to say for yourself? Because the team a good team. It's all about accountability, it's all about everybody pulling in the right direction. Those are the things that I saw happen in my team meetings, so I'd expect something similar because they had that game, they have a quarterback that played well enough for them to win, and your lack of judgment and professionalism somewhat cost you in the game because the ball, if I'm not mistaken, directly tipped off of his hand.
Speaker 5: I like to call it karma, you know, but let's.
Speaker 3: Just call that lack of focus, because if you were in your spot and watching that ball, maybe you would have had the ability to jump higher and tip the.
Speaker 5: Ball forward instead of backwards.
Speaker 3: It's and because of how bad that preplay stuff was, Mike Amy, I gotta assume that you are the reason why.
Speaker 5: So because of that can be held accountable. It's brutal in it.
Speaker 4: It makes my stomach hurt for this kid just thinking about it. I mean, if there is a punishment beyond that, I don't even want to know what it is. That sounds terrible. He did go to social media. He went to Twitter last night saw and tweeted an apology to his teammates, to the city of Chicago. He needed to be more aware. It's I've got it right here. Read it to Chicago and teammates, My apologies for lack of awareness and focus. The game ain't over until zero's hit.
Speaker 5: The clock.
Speaker 4: Can't take anything for granted. Notes taken, improvement will happen. Is that getting out in front of it or is that trying to take the easy way out by putting something on Twitter and saying that's I addressed it.
Speaker 5: The lot of part.
Speaker 3: That okay, the lot of part, because here's the thing behind it. And I laugh at this stuff that happens on social media because it's not reality. Because that's sincere as he can be. But why are you appeasing to that that to be for your teammates, like those are the things that have to be said in that team meeting to his teammates, the ones that matter, that are putting on those shoulder paths for him, like fan accountability matters. But I looked at the replies on that tweet. Nobody cares. Yeah, nobody cares. And that's the I guess the wave of like the NFL in the sense like social media is where you go to get your you know, your inner thoughts out. Well, in that moment, I probably will have just shot away and just shut up.
Speaker 1: So listen to this. If Chicago wins that game, they are five and two and they are a playoff team in the standings right now. Washington is five and three and they are not a playoff team right now because Philadelphia would have the lead in the division.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh wow, did not know that.
Speaker 1: So you think about the significance because that's a conference game, and as the page gets ready to turn to November, you start to think about those sorts of things. Hey, Titans fans, Seek Geek makes it easy to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season.
Speaker 6: Whether you're buying or selling football tickets, Seat geek is the place to do it. Seat Geek is the official primary ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titan.
Speaker 1: The most disruptive idea in ticketing ticket that works expect the expected. See geek c G made a rookie mistake this football season. Maybe you should have had Snickers because.
Speaker 6: Now you can enter for the chance to turn those rookie mistakes enterprises, including a trip to Super Bowl fifty Nile.
Speaker 1: Visit snickers dot com slash rookie mistakes for details. Want to wrap up with some Titans talk from you offensive line stability trying to get things together? Did you see any positive in Detroit? As the results over four hundred yards would seem to dictate, what were your overall thoughts on offensive line play against the Lions.
Speaker 5: I'll just put this one out there. Even though it worked out.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's ideal to swap guys and that tackle, but it worked out yesterday. If somebody had a bad play, coach is what coaches did yesterday. I felt like a facilitating competition steal. If you don't have an answer for something, the best way to do is to put guys in situations where they have to answer the call. And I thought both of those guys, for the most part, did a really good job Johnajuku and Leroy Watson. As it pertains to the group in general, you don't notice good things out of the offensive line, especially when you were on your heels the entire game. What I did see and notice was they had the ability to run the ball till you had to abandon right. The protection of the quarterback was there, and it may have been some closess with Detroit gave up four Saxon won the game. You know, So there's that idea too. What we're seeing this group do, we might not notice until late next year or the following year, because to be good at an offensive line, it takes reps, it takes time, it takes togetherness, and I'll be honest with you, it takes bad moments.
Speaker 5: I know nobody likes to live that life.
Speaker 3: But as somebody that played on the team that had what some considered according to the three letter analytics, folks piff f right like we were bad and playing bad made us better because it made us closer. And I'm seeing this group yesterday and I know JC Latham, if I'm not mistaken, was banged up pretty good. And he stayed and Peter stayed, and they were backs against the wall and moments to where they couldn't afford another sack or turnover, and they didn't give up any So these experiences that they're gaining and losses, you hope moving down the line they flip. And yes, Mike, I do think there's progress to be made. We just have no stats to show us that as an offensive line group, and that's the difference between the position that they play versus what a defensive lineman. They can say, well, I had three tackles, so I had two saxes game.
Speaker 4: Right, You're on the sideline, so you are closer than most to what is going on within the bench area and how guys are responding throughout the course of a game with it, and it can start at the offensive line, but as it pertains to the whole team. Did you notice interactions? Did you notice moments where this team felt like they were having those growth mode moms that are so imperative to any young team.
Speaker 3: They were, And then that too, you saw even in the bad moments, you saw communication with JC Latham.
Speaker 5: I got a point on mine.
Speaker 3: I also got to give Lloyd Cushionberry a lot of credit too, He's a guy those two. I feel like a vocal leaders on that side of the ball. Offensively, they're pulling the rope in the right direction and wanting it to be right. Nobody wants to lose. Losing, no matter of money, can make you feel good in the moment. So I'm trying to win games. And those dudes, you see that. You hear a young guy in JC pull guys. And I'll even say this defensively. I see them too. I don't know if I've seen in the past couple of weeks, Jeffrey Simmons and Arden Key lead better. Okay, they are up. They're challenging the dbs, they're challenging the linebackers, they're communicating with their own position crews. And I'll even after Arden's first SAC they came off on the first series. I spread it down there just to hear what the conversation is gonna be. And you hear jeff immediately saying bullyball. I think I heard them correctly. Bullyball, you know, And that was the mindset. It's just said, when and it's a team game and stuff is out of your control, those are the things that go under the water under the bridge. So yeah, I do see it, and again it's a matter of good things happening while trying to develop, and right now it's just not a lot of good things that you can kind of lean your hat on.
Speaker 5: But the bones are there to answer your question.