Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm having a horrible week. Let me tell you about it. I heard it gets worse, It gets worse. I was getting on the subway and I was looking at my phone as one does, and I didn't notice in time that there was a just huge pool of oatmeal on the floor of the subway car. When I'm ninety percent confident it was oatmeal, I'll tell you why. There was a lid next to it, so I don't know. Maybe someone vomited and then threw a lid down, but I'm hoping that it was oatmeal. Anyway, it splotted up the back of my jeans. That was yesterday. I was walking with my lunch in my hand and just stepped in dog feces. Just I'm so upset. I hate this city. It's horrible here. You have to always be on high alert, and I'm tired of it. Man, I'm just I'm worn down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since I moved to the suburbs, I have not necessarily seen a decrease in my incidence of stepping on gross things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like you're part of the dog community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, bringing on myself.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of asking for it, but I'm not. I'm specifically not in the dog community. I have a cat, and I moved to New Jersey, so I try to avoid disgusting things, and I just I can't. It all found me this week and bad luck comes in three. So something hideous is going to happen.
Speaker 1: You're going to step on something real bad.
Speaker 2: Something is going to step on me. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Money Stuff Podcast, your weekly podcast where we talk about stuff related to money. I'm Matt Levine and I write the Money Stuff column for Bloomberg Opinion.
Speaker 2: And I'm Katie Greifeld, a reporter for Bloomberg News and an anchor for Bloomberg Television.
Speaker 1: You know who else is having a bad week?
Speaker 2: The list goes on.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say Donald Trump, but there's no real reason to think that Donald Trump's tariffs have a bad day Wednesday in the US Supreme Court because they're illegal, and every court that has considered them found them illegal. And the Supreme Court has generally been more willing to let Donald Trump do illegal things than other courts are, because, like you know, the other courts, there's like a law, the law, and the Supreme Court is like, yeah, we get to make up the law. So they've been a little more generous. But it seems like from the oral argument on Wednesday, it seems like they might have hit their limit on Donald Trump's universal tariffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. It seems like skepticism was the word of the day, I think, almost every meeting.
Speaker 1: So you can't really tell what they think from the oral argument, so you have to write that they were skeptical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, asked skeptical questions, things along those lines. Yeah, we're talking about the nineteen seventy seven International Emergency Economic Powers Act AIPA, if you will. So Donald Trump says that it's in the interest of national security that he's basically able to levy blanket tariffs around the globe. And that's what's in question right now, defining the limits of this nineteen seventies law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, normal people and lawyers and economists believe that tariffs are taxes because they are, and the US Constitution says that only Congress can impose taxes. And in APA, Congress gave the president the power to regulate importation in an emergency, but it doesn't say you can tax them. And it seems to me and many other people, and probably five or so justices of the Supreme Court, that that does not give Donald Trump the power to unilatterally impose taxes on the imports of every country in the world. Donald Trump disagrees, and in the Supreme Court argument, his lawyer Solicitor General, argued that these are not taxes. They're not designed to raise rev and the goal of the tariffs is to make everyone. Essentially, actually said the fact they raise revenue is only incidental. The tariffs would be most effective if no person ever paid them, because there were no imports.
Speaker 2: I think amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no one believes that, certainly not Donald Trump, who has talked about how much revenue they're raising, and certainly not the strim Court.
Speaker 2: So you know, yeah, I feel like it's been pretty nakedly a goal of the tariffs is to raise tariff revenue and trying to shrink the budget.
Speaker 1: Justice it sure, because they're at tax Yeah, so it's very hard to argue that, and they tried, and it doesn't seem like it went that well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, we don't know what they were thinking. We might get a decision by the end of the year, which is exciting. But I have a quote here from Chief Justice John Roberts saying that the tariffs were quote an imposition of taxes on Americans, and that has always been the core power of Congress. That's a direct quote. And then you also it's literally.
Speaker 1: Read a front of the Constitution, like the Constitution is like an actual favorite you can read right, you actually see that. It says Congress has a parat advice.
Speaker 2: I've carused it now and again a lot of amendments. Anyway, this is really enough front, right up front. And then you had Trump appointed justices as well, Neil Gorsuch and Amy Cony Barrett apparently also asking skeptical questions as well. But again it's very hard to know.
Speaker 1: It's hard to know. Neil Gorsuch, I have a certain personal fondness for no goar, such pause, go on. I think you talked about this on the podcast, But my wife argued a case in the Supreme Court that was a non delegation doctrine in case. The non delegation doctrine has been around for a long time. Basically, it says that Congress can't just hand over its powers to the executive branch without giving it an intelligible principle how to regulate that doctrine has been around for a while, but never really worked for the last hundred years. Like, the Supreme Court has never found a violation of the non delegation doctrine. It's never said Congress deligated too much power here, But Neil Gorsuch believes in it and has like tried to find violations of it and has like dissented from decisions including on and Following My Wife and saying that, like the non delegation doction should have some real power. And it seems here that if Congress intended to delegate the power to unilaterally tax all imports forever to the president, that would be quite a striking delegation that would perhaps exceed the ability of Congress to delegate, so like there's natural reason to think that he would oppose these tariffs. Similarly, John Roberts invented the thing called the major questions doctrine, which has become a big part of Supreme Court jurist prudence, even though he kind of made it up a few years ago. And in the major questions doctrine, basically it's like, if Congress is going to give the executive like some huge new power. It has to do so clearly. And here AIPA gives the president the power to regulate imports, which is not taxing them. So it doesn't seem like it does it clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like if you look at you know, if you count, like three liberal justices are going to sign out. One John Roberts loves his major question doctrine, and one new of course such loves his non delegation doctrine. You kind of get to the doors being stricked down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is interesting and exciting because the question has also been raised, would reimbursement.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, have to happen?
Speaker 2: What on earth would that possibly look like?
Speaker 1: Right? If you just went to the Supreme Court, you know, a year ago and asked them would this pay legal? I think they'd all say no, Yeah, but it's already happened, right for sure, it's already raised hundreds of billions of dollars or whatever, and so unscrambling the egg is really hard, and I don't know what will happen. I will say that you could imagine the government being like it would be impossible to pay refunds. And that's the reason not to strike this down. And they haven't done that. They've been like, yeah, I would pay refunds. Yeah, I do think anythink that's a little interesting, is that if you think about the incidents right, like on the one hand, like I don't think consumers have paid a lot of these times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like so far companies have you know, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of the costs. So pretty strong consensus is that tariffs have not been passed on to consumers nearly as much as economists expected. And I don't know exactly there isn't for that. Some of it it's just like a you know, good profit environment, and some of it is like everyone's a little bit waiting and seeing and like if the tariffs continued forever, they might pass them on.
Speaker 2: But the yeah, what happens.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, like if there are refunds, I don't know who gets the refunds. I think a lot of like the importers have sold refund claims to like hedge funds. Yeah, this is a real Wall Street trade where like some banks have been arranging trades where hedge funds will buy refund claims it like forty cents on the dollar. And if the stream court strikes them down, then like they get their money, and if it doesn't then they lose the forty cents on the dollar. So it would be more interesting if the tariffs like had been passed on to consumers and then they were like ultimately a transfer of money from consumers to hedge funds. Yeah, but instead I think there's just a transfer of money from companies stage funds.
Speaker 2: Well. Amy Coney Barrett did ask the lawyer for the small businesses that sued basically how the process would work should the terroriffs be overturned. His answer was that if they are overturned, then businesses may seek the return of the billions already paid to the US Treasury. So in that scenario, like the businesses have sold them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some interesting questions about whether the government would stone while a hedge fund that has bought Tireff claims, you know, yeah, but probably it'd be fine. Probably some hedgehunds are going to do well out of this.
Speaker 2: So the most interesting possibility for this podcast is that these terrafts are overturned.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, and then a hedge fund sues the government for a refund that the government says now and it goes to the Supreme courtly, that's a fun one.
Speaker 2: It's a fun one.
Speaker 1: That's a fun be interested in a tiff refund hedge fund case.
Speaker 2: I do want to put some numbers around the terriff revenue so far, because I think it's interesting. Apparently it's helped bring the national budget deficit down to one point seven eight trillion dollars for the most recent fiscal years. That's a drop of two per from twenty twenty four, which is good news. But you think about the overall trajectory of spends and tax cuts, it's probably not going to really change things that much.
Speaker 1: But even still, but else it's getting reversed.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe we don't know that right.
Speaker 1: And like again, like the government can't argue about this. They can't be like, we need these tariffs to keep the deficit down. Yeah, I mean they can. They can say it, but they can't say it in the Supreme Court because to the Supreme Court, they're saying, this isn't attack. We're not raising revenue, so we can't talk about the revenue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, kind of reminds me of the situation with Nvidia and AMD chips in terms of the idea was floated that the government would take a cut of Chinese revenues, like the revenue that they.
Speaker 1: Need in China, like a reverse taff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also like, how do you argue that's for national security that also seems to be just nakedly revenue. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like you can tell advanced technology to our enomy as lone as we got to cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, cony up, what do you want to talk about next?
Speaker 1: Met Sarah?
Speaker 2: I love this story so much drama in the healthcare. I'm an ice bace for this very hot, promising obesity startup, met Sarah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good to have an obesity drug.
Speaker 2: Yeahs I wish I had won.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, Metsarah is a like US biotech company that has an obesity drug that seems to be promising.
Speaker 2: Not on the market yet, no, but it did recently complete a mid stage trial.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's a promising but not yet commercialized the obesity drug. And Pfizer, a big US from a company that had a notable failure in trials of it's obesity drug. Yeah, and it's kind of like adrift without an obesity drug, agreed to buy met Sarah in September and since then, no Nordisk, which you know is a giant Danish pharmaceutical company that notably makes ozepic yep and we go vi yes, has come in with a higher bid for Metsarah, which surest all has interesting drama. But secondly, because Novo has the leading obesity drugs, there's a huge anti trust problem with it buying met Sarah. Yeah, and met Sarah with the board of directors is choosing between a higher offer from Novo that might not go through or a lower offer from Pfizer that has like very little anti trust risk. And Nova got around that problem, or thinks it got around that problem, or probably got around that problem by basically paying the money upfront. So instead of like signing a deal and going to get anti trust approval and when you get anti trust approval paying the money for the shares, Novah is just going to hand over the money upfront. It's going to be dividended out to met Sarah shareholders like as soon as they signed the deal, and then Nova will get back like sort of this like debtlike claim, so that if they get a distress approval, the deal will close and nov will end up owning Metsarah. And if it doesn't close, then Metsarah can sell itself to someone else, and Nova gets the first like six point five billion dollars of proceeds. It's a very weird structure.
Speaker 2: It is super weird. I had to reread it a number of times, and then listening to you describe it, I feel like I need to go back and play it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Basically, they're just paying for the company, even if they can't end up buying the company, which is wild.
Speaker 2: It's a very bold move by Novo. You mentioned that they have the leading of a BCD drug. I will put an asterisk there that they have seeded market share to Eli Lilly in the US. So they're trying to regain grounds.
Speaker 1: Okay, so one possible is they're trying to regain ground by getting Metsara's awesome new drugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Pfizer has a different theory, which is that they don't care about this drug. They're just trying to catch and kill it. They're trying to prevent Pfiser from getting an ibcit drug by doing this deal where where they will lock up met Sarah in like trying to get regulatory approvals for two years. And Pfizer says the deal with Nova will never close, They'll never get an anti trust approval, but like it'll take so long that the actual purpose of this deal is to prove ad pviser from buying it, so sort of like maintain Nova's position. So that's Pfizer's view. They've sued in multiple courts. They kind of lost around this week Deliery Chancery Court refused to stop Metsarah from taking the Nova deal, but you know there's still lawsuits kicking around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a very cynical take. I feel like the fact that it's not Eli Lilly doing this maybe, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a cynical take. I mean, it's very weird to pay for the company up front, even if you might not get it right. And like one possibility is that Novo is like, we don't think there's how much anti trust risk. We understand Metsarah is worried about it, so we're going to bear that risk ourselves by paying everything up front. But are other possibilities that everyone thinks there's a lot of anti trust risk and they're like, we don't even care if we don't get the company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say we heard from the CFO of Novo talking about why they wanted this company, and they're promising drug in particular, and the CFO said that they're particularly interested in Metsarah's amelin targeting drug. Okay, if anyone falling along at home is really well versed in this stuff. Apparently amelin is another potential target in obesity treatment, and just on Thursday, actually Eli Lilly said that it's amelin targeting helped patients lose up to twenty point one percent of their body weight over forty eight weeks. So I don't know, like Pfizer has their take, but Novo seems to have their own.
Speaker 1: Right, you can't fully believe the extremely cynical take of like never spending billions of dollars just the stobviser from getting out of PCD DUG that's adviser also has like a sort of like patriotic argument. Yeah, like you know, kind of playing to the Trump Justice Department. Should in an American company end up buying this American obesity rather than giving it to the Danish And.
Speaker 2: The government's going to be like what if we got a golden chair perhaps something along those lines, perhaps a kind of revenue.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, because like this is what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is.
Speaker 1: Totally what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Speaking of drama, this has nothing to do with obesity.
Speaker 1: Well, the story about a guy who's been five hundred thousand dollars on his personal.
Speaker 2: Chef talk about a fat wallets. So stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think about Like so, uh, Sam bankman Fred had his appeal this week. Oh yeah, it didn't go well. Oh, I mean we don't know the result that skeptical.
Speaker 2: Questions, skeptical skepticism.
Speaker 1: And Sam bankman freet has said that all of his problems started when he handed over control of FTX to people who are running it in bankruptcy, file for bankruptcy, and like someone else takes over the company.
Speaker 2: That was the starting point of well, that was.
Speaker 1: In the starting pipe. He was like, I could have recovered before that, but then after they took over the company, like the new CEO has an incentive to throw the old management under the bus, right and find as many problems as possible. And I was thinking about that because like, so we're going to talk about First Brands, which is a auto parts conglomerate that went bankrupt and this week sued its former CEO and soul shareholder Patrick James, for various alleged badness basically like doing a lot of fraud to borrow from various like factoring companies, and like taking all of that money and giving it to himself and spending it on seventeen exotic cars, lavish homes and Malibu and the Hampton's six figure bills for a celebrity chef other stuff like that. And I just think about it because like it's the same kind of dynasm where like you file for bankruptcy, like essentially a bankruptcy firm takes over the company and they're like, you know, let's be as negative as possible about the previous management, and so do you know they seem to have found a lot of stuff. Yeah, but you know you have to be a little skeptical, right because like they were running the company on behalf of the creditors, right, and like this is a company that was one hundred percent owned by Patrick James, and so they're like he used it as his personal piggy bank. He absolutely did, Like of course he did, because he owned the company, and so he didn't like follow a lot of like formalities, and like when he needed money, he just sent himself some money from the company, and now they want all that money back to pay to the creditors, right, and so they're like, oh, he did lots of fraud. Like I guess I believe them, But it's just like and it's an interesting dynamic, like so incentives to say he did lots of fraud.
Speaker 2: If I own one hundred percent of an autoparts supplier, I can take the money out and buy cars.
Speaker 1: Well, the question is who's going to object to that? And if there are no other soulders in the ordinary course, no one's going to object it. Now if the company goes extremely bankrupt, the creditors are going to object it. They're gonna be like giving back the money, and they're going to look very carefully to see if you did anything bad. And I do think that like they found that he did bad stuff in terms of like I mean, like the real allegation here is that most of their borrowing was secured by invoices. So I could sell auto parts to like a car dealership, and they get an invoice and they'd borrow against the invoice from like a factoring company. They would like send over lists of thousands of invoices to borrow the money and they would just change the numbers on the lists to get more money, and like that's fraud if that's true, right, Like that's really bad. And so the creditors have like allegedly found a lot of that. But then there's just like the other question of like, if you have a company that borrows money, can you take money out of the company? And it's like, well, it depends on what the credit agreements say, and like they make a lot of noise about how he didn't follow a lot of formalities, but they don't say like it was forbidden by the credit agreements. I don't know. So I don't mean to defend him.
Speaker 2: I feel I mean, I feel like someone listening cold because I know you want to know.
Speaker 1: I just think it's an interesting dynamic that the creditors have every incentive to look for fraud, and that they are like, he took money out of this company, which leads like, fine, if you you know it's his own company, but it's not his own company because he like borrowed a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That said, I do want to emphasize that the stuff they say about crossing out the numbers on the invoices and writing much larger numbers is really bad fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like much larger numbers, adding a digit maybe too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like there's an example in the complaint of like they patch together two million dollars worth of invoices, like thousands of invoices that total two million dollars, and they change them to make them eleven million dollars. Yeah, they borrowed eleven million dollars. Like that's really bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's super bad. That's flagrant if you really think about it. I do wonder if anyone in his family was like, Patrick, you run an auto part supplier. How do you have so many houses? How do you have so many car.
Speaker 1: No, it's a big it's not like a yeah, but even still think a multi billion dollar conglomerate of auto parts supplayers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, But I don't know with the benefit of hindsight, it seems a little sketchy.
Speaker 1: But I know he's a billionaire. I gotten myself into this anyway, I think completely innocent.
Speaker 2: I do think it's interesting that I don't know. It feels like every week more news breaks about first brands and the unraveling here.
Speaker 1: Even before I went bankrupt, like people are raising concerns about double pledging, and like, yeah, it makes sense that, Like when their bankruptcy team did a Friends of examination, they're like, oh wow, there's tons of double pledging here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You aptly linked to a Wall Street Journal report talking about how now you have a lot more firms, perhaps suggesting that we should up our due diligence. There was an interesting report too from the Financial Time today talking about how UPS is going to liquidate its funds with major first brands exposure. Apparently they have a fund specializing in invoice finance, specifically at O'Connor that is owned by UBS in the process of being sold to Canter Fitzgerald, which is pretty funny just in terms of obviously when the steal was signed in May, things were much different.
Speaker 1: And invoice financing fund now not so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're even liquidating a high grade fund that invested in invoices linked to less receive companies without any first brand's exposure. But right also, no one's like.
Speaker 1: Looking to get into like invoice financing right this minute. I will say, you know, I've talked about diligence on this sort of thing where you know, it's literally like you send over an Excel file with thousands of invoices and then they just send you the money. I'm like, you're edit that excel file. I will say I got at least two emails that included the word blockchain.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, that's what we've found a use case.
Speaker 1: Whether or not it's blockchain, it does kind of feel like we have the technology to not just take it on faith that that's just a pile of PDFs is real. But not everyone deploys that technology. And you know, there's a lot of trust in the financial system and sometimes sometimes people buy seventeen exotic cars on the back of that trust.
Speaker 2: It's really funny. Blockchain does seem like an obvious answer here, But don't put that in there.
Speaker 1: Nope, we're putting them in.
Speaker 2: No, oh, invoice financing funds. I don't know you say that now, Maybe isn't a great time for them. I want to read the story in like the next three months about someone coming in and moving aggressively here, because what was what was that?
Speaker 1: It's a real business, Like, yeah, I feel like people only ever talk about it when someone goes up in a flaming pile of fraud. But like it's a real business. Yeah, it's mostly fine.
Speaker 2: It kind of reminds me of the credit sweet blob. Wasn't it eighty ones? What am I trying to remember?
Speaker 1: I don't know what credits. We had that Green Soul problem, which was with the invoice financing from.
Speaker 2: No, I'm definitely not thinking would.
Speaker 1: Not oh the at ones in that Yeah, yeah, because credit series wiped out billions of dollars of at ones and for like twenty minutes people were like, I'll never buy an at one again, and then like the at one market came roaring back. Yeah, yes, I have to say that. Like the day that was happening and people were like, I'll never buy an at one again. I'm pretty sure I wrote in a column like they will definitely buy eight ones.
Speaker 2: Next week, and they did.
Speaker 1: The credit market has no memory whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Maybe that will happen with I think, yeah, voice finance advice.
Speaker 1: Financing, Like I don't think that like invoice financing will be dead, but like I think people might do a little bit more to a divillidence for a while. And that was the Money Stuff podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Levine and I'm Katie Greifeld.
Speaker 1: You can find my work by subscribing to The Money Stuff newsletter on.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg dot com, and you can find me on Bloomberg TV every day on the Clothes between three and five p we'd love to.
Speaker 1: Hear from you. You can send an email to Moneypod at Bloomberg dot net, ask us a question and we might answer it on the air.
Speaker 2: You can also subscribe to our show wherever you're listening right now and leave us a review. It helps more people find the show.
Speaker 1: The Money Stuff Podcast is produced by Ana ma Aserakas.
Speaker 2: And Moses on don Our theme music was composed by Blake Maples.
Speaker 1: Amy Keen is our executive.
Speaker 2: Producer, and Sage Bauman is Bloomberg's head of Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Money Stuff Podcast. We'll be back next week with more stuff.