Speaker 1: To on the move, going deep Speedlis Peace, do hell peas do.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studio. This inside the Baptist Help Training Complex. This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's got my ad hands in the playoffs?
Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Drift Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we are going to make this episode as close to a Travis locked on Dolphins episode as we can. I took a deep dive into the tape, the context, the stats around everything regarding this Odell Beckham move, how I think it changes things for the Dolphins, how it could prevent a lot of the issues we saw on the offense down the stretch, and how it could create some issues for the opposition we'll see in twenty twenty four. Plus we'll also go ahead and talk about HI think this offense can break records in twenty twenty four. All of that in a heck of a lot more From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drive Time Podcast.
Speaker 2: Ye daff is first six hundred.
Speaker 1: And six points in an NFL season. This was back during the sixteen game seasons thirty seven point nine per game. That was what the twenty thirteen Denver Broncos did as they broke the record for points per game and total points scored in an NFL season. And that is surely a high per game total thirty eight points per game, but six hundred points with seventeen games on the schedule. I think it's doable. That's thirty five point three points per game. And here is how the Dolphins can and will do that. First, the roster reset series is done. Rookie Minnie camp is coming up this week. We'll have the schedule release, I believe next week, I think, I think. And then we get into OTAs and man, from there, it's at least for me, a sprint to a news with a six week vacation sandwiched in there. And that sounds kind of gratuitous to say, because six week vacations pretty nice, But to me, those six weeks go by faster every single year.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I used to wish that time away more than anybody else on the planet. I never forget, I'll never forget when I went to Disneyland with my brother and his son, and then my wife joined us later it was for a work trip for him. He works in insurance and gets all these great lavish vacations out of it. And Dolphin's camp streted on like day three of that trip, and I was like, let's get these first two days out of the way. I want to go read practice reports, which, in hindsight, reading the tweets I was bringing from the people, I read from them back then, those tweets were not very useful.
Speaker 2: But I digress.
Speaker 1: But every time of year, every year, this time of year, I used to wish that time away more than anybody else. And this is scientifically proven by the way, by myself and my own feelings literally counting away summer months. Here's how football crazy I used to be. I will never forget. Two of my best buddies made a three hour road trip to an amusement park silver Wood and Idaho for those that know the Pacific Northwest, and I opted to skip the trip so I could stay home and watch the Hall of Fame game. That's a sickness man now, fifteen fifteen years or so later. I enjoy the golf, I enjoy the beach, I enjoy the time with my family and revel in those times, I get the sense the audience of a certain age maybe feels the same way. But who the heck knows Do the young people still do that with their sports? I don't know, but I digress. All of this is a preamble into opining what's next here on the podcast. Well, luckily, I've been holstering a couple of things here that happened to coincide, at least two of them with the Odell Beckham signing and every day listeners, Hell you once a week listeners know how much I thought receiver or really just additional pass catchers was one way to get this offense to the next level, and quite frankly, it's something they desperately needed down here in Miami. And just a reminder, as I've been rewatching broadcast copy on my days off, I guess I'm still pretty sick with football. I feel like people forget how productive this offense was.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 1: Scoring twenty points was like a woefully bad day for the offense. I'm old enough to remember when twenty points for the Dolphins was probably going to be a victory that Week four game in Buffalo. It's like, what is run with the Dolphins offense? Meanwhile, seventy the week prior. In the next two games, just score thirty one and forty two, like even with the late season air quote struggles, four hundred and ninety six points, eight hundred and twenty two yards literally a drop or two or a third and short conversion or a field goal or two away from seven thousand yards and five hundred points. I mean, do we realize that twenty nine point two points per game is the sixty third best mark in NFL history? Did you guys know that thirty two teams play the whole year every year? Sixty third all time Dolphins offense last year in points per game, and that was with the following limitations. Tyreek Hill playing just sixty three percent of the offensive snaps, Jalen Waddle playing under fifty six percent of the offensive snaps. The snaps they were both on the field together for forty four percent of your offensive snaps last year. That's where the obvious addition of Beckham and how his signing should make us better. Right with them on the field together, Reek and Waddle we averaged six point seven yards per play without one of them.
Speaker 2: It was six yards per play. Pretty damn good.
Speaker 1: Still without both of them five point six yards play, actually six point six led the NFL. Only US and the Niners had over six yards per play last year, and averaging five point six yards per play would have had you tied for six in the National Football League. So like the whole Tyreek and Waddle are the only reason we are good idea, Well, it's pretty much nonsense, because for fifty six percent of your snaps you had other guys on the field and you still averaged five point six yards play, the seventh most of the National Football League. But if you want those early season gaudy numbers, pushing seven yards per play in an NFL record, you're gonna want those guys to get So the big takeaway is that, regardless, it's still pretty damn good. And that's where I get to this point. And look, I am completely innudated with this stuff. So perhaps you're listening during your set of curls at the gym, or while you crank out your mid quarter projections for Q two at your desk, and you're saying to yourself, Travis, I know they were good. You don't have to convince me of that, brother. And this isn't even another Twitter Dia Tribe. I listen to NFL podcasts all the time. I won't lift list the specific one I'm talking about here, but it's like, we don't trust this offense is the sentiment I've heard multiple times. How do we know they can keep it rolling as the year goes along. I mean, it's not cold. We didn't play well against the Titans, and that game was here.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just.
Speaker 1: Because of cold weather. It's because of availability. That was the night that Tyreek got hurt. He misses the next game. You still scored thirty points, but still probably working through a sore sprained angle when he does get back a couple of weeks later, and then Waddle goes down these in the game that Tyreek comes back for with an even more severe angle that gets him back in time to play on a tight ankle in negative thirty degree temperatures in Kansas City. And that's all without saying, oh, by the way, we had backups from the opening day offensive line on eighty percent of the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Like it's a.
Speaker 1: Freakin lot man so to bring this all back on track and maybe land the plane here a little bit. Injuries are the biggest to turrent this offense can face and it will stay that way, as it does for any team. But next, I would argue the best way to combat this offense slowing down late in the year again, aside from just staying healthy, is a consistent separator not named Waddle or Tyreek. That's that's my contention. So Odell on third down, pretty good, isn't he? Just last year on third down alone, ten catches for one hundred and eighty yards and two touchdowns on eighteen targets, and all those catches went for first downs with an average distance to gain of six point seven yards on those targets, so converting an average of third and long at a fifty six percent and oh, by the way, eighteen yards per reception more than his total on both first and second down, and a yards per target of ten point zero on top of that. I mean, that's converting and hitting explosive, and it's all over the tape. More on that in just a moment, but just to go deeper on third and six or I'd rather check that third to four and six, So third medium he caught nine of twelve targets for one hundred and seventy two yards. All of those were first downs seventy five percent of the time, converting on third medium, on third and long he caught two of four for a fifty percent conversion rate. I mean, I'm just saying that's a very very tangible aspect you didn't have last year. I'm going to approve that to you here in just a minute. But first career third down one hundred and nineteen conversions on two hundred and sixty nine targets a forty four percent conversion rate, and in an offense last year as more of a featured role opposed to being the guy right, he was Odell Beckham Junior there for a while for the Giants and the Browns alike.
Speaker 2: The numbers jump.
Speaker 1: It's funny how that works a little bit different of a role, less of the attention from the defense, and those numbers go up, just like he's gonna see here. It reminds me of when you get one of your sluggers who maybe maybe he's struggling, or maybe you just have some other guys you want to shake the order up with, and you put him in the sixth spot in the batting order, and you gets to said he'd had a fastballs and all of a sudden the ball's jumping off of his bat. Again, I wanted to take a look at last year's other options outside of reek and waddle and try to put this three to the test. So Brax and Barrios caught eleven, or rather had eleven conversions on seventeen targets, which is pretty good. But let's think about this. I mean, I watched the tape and those are pretty open instances for the most part, and we're talking about nine yards per catch. Odell converts at that same rate and doubles the yards you get as a result. Hey, sometimes your hypothesis doesn't always go the track you want to. But I think there is context here to prove this point. It's about situation, and I can tell you right now this does more to tell you about the opportunity Odell has here with the space he'll get to operate than it does to disparage a Bras and Barrios or somebody else on the team. Because before this year career, Barrios on third down had a forty four percent conversion rate too. But you see when Odell is the man and he's posting that and you're getting single coverage with a three way go and like thirty yards of space and you have the exact same production. Do you see what I'm getting out here? How there's an opportunity for way more? What do I always say, there's more meat on the bone? I know Seth Levet from the Fish Tank podcast appreciates that sentiment. Cedric Wilson had five conversions on eleven third down targets last year.
Speaker 2: Again, pretty good, but opportunity.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm telling you, we'll get the tape here in a moment. We'll get to the tape here in the moment. I should say twenty five career first downs on fifty five career targets on third down.
Speaker 2: Again, that's not bad forty five percent.
Speaker 1: But again, the tape, and most of that was in Dallas when he was behind Lamb and Gallop and all the boys. Was Brandon Cooks there, I can't remember, but he was pretty far down the list of options in Dallas like he was here in Miami. Let's keep going back to twenty twenty two with Trent Sherfield, because I love all these guys, by the way, some of my favorite players to be around. But you get what I'm doing here, right, I hope laying the content on this thickly helps you understand what this offense can be with this one addition, I mean, look at the Niners when Juwan Jennings began to figure it out. It's amazing what happens when you don't just have the two or three top guys, you have fourth and fifth options that can really make differences for you. I think it's a modern game today for these top offenses. And that's before we get to the value of depth in case of an injury Sherfield. In twenty twenty two third downs, he had seven first downs on nineteen targets and just five point six yards per target. So it did get a lot better in twenty twenty three. But twenty twenty four, that's next, right, what did you grow upon last year? You got better on these third down situations, But let's get it even better from where it was last year, because in twenty twenty two it was thirty six percent at five point six yards per target. That is not a good mark to hit. Also, Odell doesn't drop the football one drop last year on sixty three targets, and that, by the way, tracks with Malik Washington and Taj Washington. The draft picks and John Us Smith for that matter. All those guys had drop rates under two percent last year college or the pros, and look, Reak and Waddle are going to drop some footballs. Go look at the list of league leaders and drops. It's the guys who also lead the NFL in catches in yards every year. Aman Ross Saint Brown was number one and Tyreek's number two and drop passes last year, and you could argue they were the best receivers in the entire NFL last season. So you're willing to accept that when you're talking about literal all pros in some instances first ballot Hall of famers in the future, and maybe a little less so with players that are not as explosive as Tyreek and Waddle. That right there is all you need to know. But you know that's not how we do things on Drive Time. We're gonna make it a deep dive here, So let's go ahead and take a break right there, come back on the other side and get to the rest of this very exploratory podcast taking a look at how the Dolphins offense in twenty twenty three can break records. Maybe that's next Draft Time podcast. Your host Travis Winfield brought to you by Auto Nation queued you up there in the first segment. I want to go back now and get to some real in depth detail here, and this is the second segment of my Lockdown Dolphins podcast. Was always a like deep dive, and that's kind of what we're gonna do here. I would write an article for Lockdown Dolphins dot com and tell you the outcome of those search research projects.
Speaker 2: That's what we're gonna do right here.
Speaker 1: So just off of watching the tape when ten and seventeen were not on the field together or the defense whatever it was both or one on or one on, both off when they were taking them away, look elsewhere. The result was bodied, bodied, bodied hell. I saw a little rub route that freed up Cedric Wilson on a flat and it took it, and it took him across that man. I could have used a sun dial to measure how long it took him to get off that pick and turn the ball up field until run after the catch. Did you guys watch Odell last year? Limited opportunities? But I saw long touchdowns where he flat out runs past dude on a literal fifty yard bomb on a double move against the Rams, or a sixty five yard touchdown on a catch and run against the Bengals where he catches a little square in and takes off an outrun the entire defense. Do we have that last year in our number three? To quote Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street, absolubsolutely not. And that's just talking about what you have when they're all on the field together. One of the biggest detriments the Dolphins had last year was when one of those guys was out with injuries down the stretch. Because we had the Jets game, no Tyreek, the Cowboys game, Waddle gets injured early, Wattle not there for the Buffalo or Baltimore games, like the biggest games of the year, you didn't have both these guys in the field, and that's when your offense creater the biggest against the best defenses go figure right. But with one of those guys out now, we don't have the same issues where you can squat on Tyreek and completely take him out of a route concept the way Buffalo did in that season finale, because Odell Beckham is not gonna get plastered in one on one coverage every single rep.
Speaker 2: You can win with that.
Speaker 1: It creates a much bigger bubble, a bigger ripple effect of we can withstand this injury, we can compete at a high level despite this injury. And yeah, when they're all together, that's the best of the entire world. If you could that for the whole year, we're gonna break records in my opinion. But you can at least sustain and with stan injuries because of this, and it helps you just you don't have to change the entire complexion of your game plan because Odell can get to place as fast and quick and not take all those throws off the menu that you have with Wreek and Waddle. I talked about the play against the Cowboys. There's a play the Wattle pick the two a pick throwing to Waddle in the first quarter of the KC game in the playoffs. This is going to be a theme on this next project I'm doing right here, where there is literally four acres of land in the middle of the football field and we have to win a one on one matchup against like cornerback four. We can't do it. We cannot do it. This is one of those examples where Cedric is just completely wiped out one on one coverage three way go cannot get off the line of scrimmage with the press and he's wiped all the way out of the play.
Speaker 2: You can't have that.
Speaker 1: You can't win with that when teams are going to play the way teams playoff last year, it just completely took away any cohesion the offense had. I don't think it's possible now with Odell Beckham, the fold over, with John Husmith in the field four for that matter, or if Devon a chance splits out and plays receiver, because he can do that. When you have Jalen Wright and Raheem Moster, you've got options. But this is more about Odell Beckham, So I digress. But here's what I want to do. I want to take a look at this is the project third down sacks and turnovers, or the failures in the two games that we were atrocious on third down and that ultimately, in my opinion, cost us the division, the Tennessee game and the Buffalo finale. So let's go ahead and start here with the sacks and break each of these plays down and try to figure out what went wrong and where it went wrong. The first one is the week two game at the Patriots. It's a third nine play where they bracket waddle from that three high safety look they ran the entire night against US, and Kyle Duggar runs down and just walls off Tyreek on a crosser and it puts Barrios, Smythe and Moster all in these one on one positions. They rolled the third safety entirely away from Bragxon Burris a side of the field, so he had nobody outside of him, and from from the numbers all the way out to the sideline, nobody over there. The whole top of the field vertically, which with Beckham that's open, with Barros that's not accessible, and then anything underneath that he wants, which you usually get by threatening deep with the speed, So it's like thirty yards of space and we are completely erased on the play.
Speaker 2: You can't have that.
Speaker 1: The next third down sack is a game in Kansas City or in Germany, i should say, And it's a third and ten after a Claypool false start. But this is just Spagged being Spags gets a free round with the cat blitz. Good Night at the Jets in the third quarter, third and four, Austin Jackson gets destroyed by Bryce Huff. That sometimes happens, right. That was Austin's worst game of the year in my opinion. So it's three plays in one because of the receiver separation. We're going to do this whole thing here. The next one is a game home versus the Jets. A third and three. We tried to stress a corner route against a cover two blitz with Braxton and he just cannot get there fast enough.
Speaker 2: It's open, but we're not there. This is what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: There's parts of the field we couldn't stress because we couldn't have that third option get to this space quick enough. So two for four I'm chalking up to not having Odell Beckham on the roster and Dallas against Dallas in the fourth quarter again it's a third and eight play are hot, which is Barrios just takes way too long to get there. By the time two is the top of his drop, he's still trying to get off the reroute. At the top of the route, it's not accessible for your quarterback. And that's how you take these third down sacks because they double wattle, they double reek. They just run this one on one coverage in thirty yards of space and they win those plays. The third down I and T's against the Chargers, this is a third and twelve kind of hell Mary and they bracket Reek and Waddle and they try to throw the vertical to Braxon, which that's not his game. And to be fair with to be fair, he was interfered with. But I mean obj or that right right. Two more players here against the Giants are Iont's the pick six boneheaded throw by Tua. No need to go into that any further. Third quarter, it's a miscommunication between Tua and Wattle. Wattle stops Tua throws at the spot that he was running two And this happens a lot with Tua and Wattle. It happened against the Titans, it happened in twenty twenty one against the Falcons. Like, let's get that button, utboys. You guys have been together for four years now, going back in college, it's like six seven years at Philly. In the fourth quarter, throws a good ball. They don't call the DPI on Raheem Mostert, Like forget that game. By the way, Man total Bs also wattles in the exact same spot as his man, and he peels off, his man peels off for the pick, So no way the spacing was designed that way. That's your top line guy's waddle and just messing up the Patriots game here in hard rock. A third and fifteen and egregious throw by Tua right the right to the robber, so that one goes on Tua two is not you know, not to blame for some of these, Like I will acknowledge that there are some bad players, but a quarterback. I'm getting to a certain point though. The Jets game, the Black Friday pick before that, before the end of the half, third and one. This was made into a big deal, but it's basically, throw the ball to the sideline or the half is over. So a pick, an incompletion or even a completion inbounds all the same, not worth breaking down and over that. And then the two games that I think most people would say ruin the season, and I agree either or and the third down conversion rate was awful in both Buffalo and Tennessee. And we didn't have Reek for most of one against the Titans and didn't have Waddle at all or the other.
Speaker 2: So it fits the agenda.
Speaker 1: So the Titans we're five for thirteen, and what's funny is the first two third downs were conversions nineteen yards Tyreek one yard run to Moster with Tyreek on the field, and then Tyreek gets hurt and it goes the other way. In the second quarter, it's third and seven incomplete for Waddle bs route bs throw. Sometimes you have to take your medicine, and we sucked on that. One should have been a pick six. It's what I talked about earlier, where Waddle stops running to a throws where he thinks he's running and it should have been a pick six. The next is a third and fifteen draw play. I'm not gonna break that down. They did not convert that. The next is a third down play in the third quarter, third and two, and it's incomplete. To Cedric Wilson, it's a fade, And look, I get we all despise the fade, but sometimes it truly was the best option. You want to stop throwing fades a Tyreek or Cedric Wilson, go sign a separator like Odell Beckham. Sound good enough to me, sound good enough to you, Just to me. Third quarter of that game, just a couple I think the very next drive, third and four incomplete to h HN. Tua actually has Reek and Bury us underneath here, and I like that he big play hunts because I like him to stay aggressive. But he took a shot eight who ran a vertical and just cook the slower cornerback. I think it was Roger McCreery, who runs like a four to five, and it cost him an eighty six yard touchdown because he slows up for a beat and if he keeps running, I still think he runs under that ball and has a game changing touchdown. Don't change that style, by the way, keep going vertical when you have those opportunities in the NFL. Later on the game, a fourth quarter third and three sack, Tua just slips trying to change directions. Bad quarterback play there a couple of drives later, third and six sack. He doesn't pull the trigger here with Citri Wilson open. This was to his worst game of the year by far, in my opinion, just was not good at all. In the fourth quarter of that game. It's a third and six sack and there's a hold right here. But it's a perfect example because both Reek and Waddle are bracketed and Barrios gets open. But I put it on the clock, and it took him two point six to eight seconds to get to the top of the route.
Speaker 2: That's painfully long.
Speaker 1: It's an eight yard route to a climbs and resets, but the play is broken down by then and it goes as a sack. Like it's widespread across the offense. Here why these things didn't work out? And I'm gonna get to my point here. In just a second fourth quarter of that game, it's third and three eight, Chan goes for two. I forgot about this, but he had the inside track for the first down and tries to cut it outside to get out of bounds and doesn't make it out of bounds and doesn't make the mark, and we wind up turning it over on the next play because we have a total meltdown with immediate pressure, totally discombobulated, rookie mistake that I think eventually didn't give you a chance to a couple more throws to get back into field goal range to win that game. So it was a big issue in that big, critical game. How about the finale against the Bills four for ten on third down, the first one in the first quarter, a third and seven play on your opening drive. It's a pick. It's a BS throw. They bracketed Barrios outside and gave deep access, and Tua is a beat late and underthrows it to Tyreek Hill. That could have been a touchdown, but he missed on that throw. Later in the first quarter, a third and eight goes incomplete to Tyreek. They have safety help on Tyreek to the boundary the short side of the field and inside leverage funneling deep and outside. So you force a throw against that on an out and you miss. It's the one spot they're taking away, or the one I guess, the one area he can try to get to. But they're so well defended against that throw, and Tua never came off of that. And I'm watching inside where Barrios has this one on one, a three way go versus Taron Johnson, who is their best corner. I will give him that with literally though not another defender between the numbers or twenty yards in front of him. This is what I'm talking about. It's four acres of land. I keep making that number up. But the Bills did this because they knew if we put our best guy in that position, he can cover that much space. If it's Odell Beckham. I don't think he can. I really don't think he can. Later in the game, third quarter, a third and three complete to Barrios for two. We catch the ball six inches short of the sticks and can't make a move on an open field tackle to get those extra few inches, you gotta have those. A third and twenty four for ten yards to Durham, not breaking that down. In the fourth quarter twelve twenty six to play a third nine play, it's an incomplete pass to Cedric Wilson. Another cover two trail inside leverage. This is designed to force the ball to the perimeter. But if you can win a one on one inside, you don't have to do that at all. You can just take the inside cheese. We could not get open this time. Cedric gets the fourteen acres worth of space to work with inside and he's literally washed out of the all twenty two by a blue jersey. He has gone off the tape and it's number thirty. That's Dan Jackson. That was Buffalo's like cornerback four coming into the year, and the ball was money, but he broke it up because he was right there. But if you win that route, you extend that drive, you don't punt it back to Deontay Hardy, maybe that game goes different, And I think Odell Beckham is a better option in that spot. In the fourth quarter later on third and seven incomplete to Tyreek Hill, just dropped it, good throw, got a good look, just dropped the ball. So it's not just one thing like the quarterback can do better. Your best players can do better. But I'm telling you why. The best option is the route. The Dolphins took more on that second than the I int it wasn't a third down, but Claypool, like gosh, don't want to see that ever again. So that's nine plays in the plays we just evaluated where we had time, space and options to get open and just flat out couldn't do it. Just got bullied by one person on the opposite team. You have to find a way to beat those. If you convert even half of those four of them, less than half, that's honestly probably good enough to swing one of those games. And you're twelve and five and your division champions. Nine plays chalked up to the lack of separation outside of ten and seventeen, So you can here's the ultimate point. You can spend three million dollars on that. Or you can strip down your entire operation, rebuild the whole thing, the whole thing you've been building for three years, take a gamble on a Rickie quarterback who has less than a fifty percent chance to be as good as Tua, and start over and hope you get the same five hundred points and seven thousand yards on top of the stuff you just missed with Tua. Or you can sign Beckham for three million. I mean, the reason I write all of this out it's simple. If Odell can change the outcome of three of those plays, it's a home playoff game against Pittsburgh and a blowout win that erases so many of the takes you've seen out there, right, That's what I'm driving at here. So when you say you can't win with a certain guy, or the rebuild failed, or whatever you want to say, that, there isn't an industry in the world where that approach, where you would approach something so delicate and so important, with the lack of pouring over the why of something failed. I hope I provide you guys with the why here of why this thing failed the way it did and how this fix could be the ultimate solution for it. Speaking of that, to go ahead and take our last break right there, come back on the other side and talk about a little bit more of this, how the Dolphins can be flexible about a potential swap in personnel, A whole bunch of stuff here. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation. One thing I wanted to look at for this project or for this podcast was what the Rams did over the last couple of years. And they were originally like a ninety percent eleven personnel team when Sean mcvagh first came in. Then they changed and they have since gone back to that and found ways to get more guys on the field and effect. Jordan reg Jordan Rod Reig wrote a great story or maybe you should detail this in a podcast. I forget about how when the Rams drafted Cooper Cup, they originally signed two tight ends Tyler Higbe and Gerald Everett that year. I think it was to run a twelve personnel operation, kind of like the Dolphins run their twenty one personnel and all the two receiver sets they run down here, and then they drafted Cooper Cup and We're like, he's so good. If we don't run eleven personnel, we're going to take him off the field. We don't want to do that. Let's go ahead and adapt to that. And I look at Miami, a team that I start the podcast off with the idea that Odell gives us so many more options in the passing game, helps protect you against injury and provides more flexibility with what you can do when you do go eleven personnel with Reek, Waddle and Beckham. But that got me thinking about something else, and I tweeted this, so apologies for the redundancy. Here I discussed fast twenty one personnel. It's two running backs in the field and they're both running backs, not fullbacks. And how we don't just lose that package because of one injury now because you have Jalen Wright who can make up for Devon hen or Raheem Moster with his speed and explosiveness. That doesn't even include the options of a two back personnel that features, for my money, the game's best fullback and alec Ingold. We did that whole thing on Odell's third down conversion rate. How about John Huis Smith and think about the diversity you have between him smythe Julian Hill and Jody forts and Jody Fortson can play. I don't mean he can't stay healthy, but his tape is awesome. And then we talked about this with the Rams last year, a team that was the eleven the lowest eleven personnel offense in the league last year. Well, now you have Beckham, you can get the sense that number has to increase. I just see an offense that can get in and out of different groupings, has backups to the top options, and can essentially adapt for the type of opponent you're going to see every single week. And best of all, I think the Beckham signing indicates in my assumption that will get more three receiver sets. It shows to me a willingness to adapt and change, to see what the market offers, to get the best roster, and then formulate how you want to attack. Don't say, well he doesn't fit what I want to do. If you get a good player, change the way you do things, right. I just keep thinking about this. Two things. A we're more equipped with a depth we have this year to withstand the attrition than the previous two years. And be the law of averages it has to be better.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's not guaranteed, obviously, but at some point we have to make it to the playoffs without multiple entire position groups being wiped out or our top two quarterbacks being down for the game. Right, I just feel like that has to happen to some point. And I will say this, I'm seeing all these notes, and you know, I saw Adam Beasley tweet about how the Dolphins are a guard and a safety away from being better than they were last year. Like, it's good to see the beat coming around. It's amazing how we can go from the blackest Monday to they're actually probably better this year. And a couple of last points I want to make here, You're gonna look at the offensive line as the issue for the offense, right, I got that comment when I talked about us on Twitter. No one wants to talk about the offensive line. It was bad in December, Yeah it was, and they were banged up as hell. But even with that, what they did, and that was without the number three receiver for most you know, well, they didn't have a number two for most time. It definitelydn have number three year, but they didn't have number two for most of those games. They clearly think that was the biggest issue. How can you doubt these guys? Right, Like, that's the thing. I don't get number one offense five hundred point seven thousand yards and we don't trust those guys. And maybe this is just me reading too much Twitter. The guy who had a full blown melt down last year when toront Arms had got hurt in training camp and he said the whole year was over. Like, you were wrong, dude, and they were right. Surprise, Well, they're telling you again how they feel about it. And I look at how this offensive line was put together and it kind of reminds me of the depth. They've created a different positions across the roster. I think the most important thing, or maybe the mission for the offensive line this year was to have the entire roster and even some guys who will probably be cut, be a guy that you can slot in and say, Okay, we're gonna be good there. Like I look at our top ten guys just in terms of you know, who I think are the best players on the on the offensive line room, and there's ten guys I feel like can slot in and be like, Okay, we can live with that. We can we can have that guy play there and be okay. I thought Lester Cotton was responsible for so many miss yards last year, but I digress. We'll be fine, I think there. And maybe there's even more that's just based on past evidence, like clean late each year, and maybe maybe Leam Miikenberg gets the Austin Jackson jump this year. And I know the pushback here is going to be they need more. I agree they do. We need one more interior guy, in my opinion, and just be patient, like it's may I promise you there's gonna be players that contribute to this team in September or October whatever. They're not on the team yet, Capete, we be good with that. To bring it home. Five hundred points is the minimum. Six hundred is my goal. That's thirty five point three per game. I don't just think it's doable. I think that's the target. I think it's gonna happen. Sound good, All right, let's go ahead and get out of here. I have some other stuff I wanted to talk about in this podcast. We'll go ahead and bump that because we got long here towards the end. But you guys know what my favorite part of this job is, it's being around the guys, and you can too. Finn's Weekend returns May thirty first through June first, and Coconut Grove joined Dolphins players, coaches, alumni and more for a one of a kind offshore fishing competition and an evening celebrating with foods, drinks, and great music. Register your boat or purchase party tickets on Finnswekend dot com. All proceed from fins Weekend will benefit the Baptist Health Foundation. Also, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, Citterer, where we get your podcasts from. Go ahead, leave us a rating, leave us a review. If that helps me get to more Dolphins fans helps the show grow, we appreciate that. Follow me on social at Winkelin NFL the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast the Matt Moore episode really good one. Don't want to miss that one with Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities Dolphins Today, Drag Time Interviews, Odell Beck coms something by the podcast Udio here soon maybe probably gonna happen. Also the Miami Dolphins dot com. Last, but not least and of course as always finds up Caroline and Cameron, Daddy, come and hold