Speaker 1: This guy. You ready, kurty b. I poured a liquid IV into a liquid death, so if I don't turn into a puddle or wet my pants, I have a feeling this is gonna be the greatest episode of Bananas we've ever done.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it already is because listen to this one. This is I'm very, very excited about this one. A study found sober rats like silence, but rats on cocaine prefer jazz.
Speaker 1: Mm yep, yep, this is gonna be a good one. Let's get into it, very very fun. Loff and laff and laft Bananas.
Speaker 3: World, would your mysillion pieces, Ena.
Speaker 2: Guyscales, non binary pals. Welcome to Tube Nanas, I'm kurb Brownolder.
Speaker 1: I'm banana Boy number two. Thank you for listening to the silliest little podcast ever was. We're glad to have you. It's a weird time out there. We're more masking outside in Los Angeles so that we don't breathe in nine hundred fires and it's freezing cold everywhere else.
Speaker 2: Because that's what we missed that when COVID was here, it was like this is fine, but could we also mask outside and Los Angeles delivered that for us, so I just want to say I'm grateful, so thank you very much. I always wanted to know what it would feel like to walk my dog with a giant P one hundred mask on absolutely and listen, Phoenix, Phoenix, or Zono, Arizona. We are coming to you March twenty ninth, a Saturday show three pm at Stand Up Live in Phoenix, Arizona, Arizona. I don't think we've ever done a show in the Southwest before.
Speaker 1: Scott no es La just well, this is big. We're breaking the seal. It's gonna my hopefully my dude brave man picks me up and we get him to bis around again. I am very pumped, and I know that venue. It's very fun.
Speaker 2: I'm literally looking forward to it, but I'm really excited. What I'm really excited about actually one more announcement. One more announcement, as we know before we do.
Speaker 1: This, h May.
Speaker 2: Sixth, May six, don't quote me on the date. I'm pretty sure it's May six. May six, I'll be in Asbury Park, New Jersey doing stand up. May seventh, I'll be in Chicago at the Den Theater doing stand up Fun and May eighth. I'll be in Kentucky, because why the fuck not.
Speaker 1: I like Kentucky.
Speaker 2: At the Commonwealth. It's a cool little venue in Dayton, Kentucky. At the I think it's something called Commonwealth Sanctuary. I'm at the Commonwealth Sanctuary. All those dates will be on my link tree and on the Bananas Podcast and everything like that. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Here it is.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited about this A long time coming, folks. I guess today is a friend of the pod who also recently happens to have been on The Price Is Right, so you know we're talking about that big time. She's a music and event producer who also helped us pull off Bananas Fest. She is the host of Sugar We're Going In, a podcast exploring the intersection of fallout boy and hip hop through research, deep dives, interviews, and more, season two, which is coming soon. Please welcome Scarlett Estelle.
Speaker 4: What is up? Y'all know? Those were my mouth air horns for you guys. What's up? Nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome to the pod, Scarlet.
Speaker 4: You it's been too long.
Speaker 5: I feel like we should have like an agenda in front of us, and I should be nervously running down it, but it's it's so nice just to chat it up. I was just thinking today, I was like, this will be the only episode I don't listen to because I'm.
Speaker 4: But any other one. Oh wow, you're missing.
Speaker 1: I would rather die. I'm with you on that.
Speaker 5: It's like a weird god complex thing where it's like I'm either the best or the worst, but it's it's it's the worst. When it comes to podcasting, it's like I love hearing myself like real time, like but recorded back, like I would rather end it all.
Speaker 1: I only I listen for.
Speaker 2: Like quality, like I'm interested in like where are they dropping the ads? Like what's how is it sound? When it's like on there, So.
Speaker 5: You're like the opposite of a skipper. You're like, I I let me get past the segments and to the segues.
Speaker 2: You're segue I'm literally just listening to segues. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 4: Research and development.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: You and two other people.
Speaker 1: So you were on the prices right, and you did very well.
Speaker 4: I did very well. I should.
Speaker 5: I've been watching the show for no lie twenty years. It is my special interest. When I don't watch it during the day, I watch them all during the weekend, one after another. I grew up as a kid with my parents owning bodegas, so when it came to like produce and checkout stuff, I was like, baby, isaf for me?
Speaker 4: Okay, Like he was like, you're doing great.
Speaker 5: The first the first game I hit, I guess the first like the first price, like to the penny. It was three twenty nine for like some catfish batter. I'll never forget it. And they made my game check out extra hard because it was for a car. Usually maybe it's like for a tramp or whatever. Trips are still very cool. I was just happy to be there and went all the way to the end wanted and got to a deal. It was a Kia, a Kia, a red Kia. And then I sat down being like, I don't drive, what am I going to sell this Kia for? But it was It was great because the story goes I had quit my job of ten years the week before and I was heading to La Yes, I was heading to La on just like a rub elbows, like fucking going to the Grammys for the first time. Yeah, And I took myself to the prices right alone, like the morning one. Oh Yes, and I won that car, and it changed my life. It allowed me this past year to be my own business and do my own things. So thank you to Carrie. I mean always thank you to carry, but specifically thank you to carry.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. So, and what was the original bid when you got called down? How many rounds until you got on stack?
Speaker 4: I think it was three. I completely blacked out. I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 5: I mean, just as bad as it is hearing yourself seeing and hearing yourself as another exercise on its own that I don't wish on my worst enemy. So completely blacked out. My parents have whatever I won, which was like a room bow for your lawn. Great, got up there at the lamba exactly and I went up, I played, and I sat down and I was like, I only care about touching the wheel.
Speaker 4: Got on the wheel.
Speaker 5: The first person got in an eighty five, the guy before me a ninety, and then I hit it with a ninety five right on the ninety.
Speaker 4: I am dead ass.
Speaker 5: I'm dead ass. And of course it's a broke podcast. Or you're like, what is my marketing? And they were like, hey, you can shout anybody out, but you know, no businesses, no companies, and I was like, watch this.
Speaker 4: I go up there.
Speaker 5: I'd like to say thank you and I love you to my parents, my fiance Martin, and Fallout Boy, because I knew at that moment someone would be like, did this girl just shout out fallout Boy on rices right?
Speaker 4: And I would look it up on Twitter and so I'd be like, yes, and I have this show about Fallout Boy.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great.
Speaker 5: It did really great on TikTok and Instagram. So I'm very very thankful for that. But that is that is my Price is Right story has completely changed my life.
Speaker 3: So did you? So?
Speaker 2: Did you went in the showcase showdown?
Speaker 5: You did not win that I did not win, but no, because I won just being there, like when you are like us, people like you are just happy to be there. And I was happy to be there girl. And I had won the car and I look at this woman who's sal I forget her name, but she was amazing and she looks over at me. She's like, you know when you bid on that Celesti pizza. I felt my mom there because my mom had passed and her name was Celeste. And the way her eyes lit up when she saw it.
Speaker 1: So sweet she sad named Pepperoni.
Speaker 4: Literally, I'm Pepperoni Junior. My brother's name three five, three twenty nine and.
Speaker 5: My sister two fifty for an ollipop. It's a family name. And the way sher eyes lit up, you can hear me on the tape when they go. I was able to pick first because I was the highest winner that day, and I just look at her and I'm like, that's actually yours, like I knew it was for her.
Speaker 4: And I was off by maybe two hundred.
Speaker 5: And fifty extra, which means that I have If I had bid two fifty less, I would have done a double showcase and I would have felt like.
Speaker 2: Damn crazy goodness.
Speaker 5: But I can play again in nine years, So a baby, I'm coming back to the day.
Speaker 4: I will be there, I promise you see.
Speaker 1: Kurt, and I would be terrible at the prices right now because we've lived in Los Angeles for two years. Oh, I would love to go. I'd be a great audience member. I want to have a T shirt. I may have said this on the pod before that has Barker's Beauties written on it crossed out and it says no and then underneath Drudi's quties which is so stupid, and I just want to chant Drudie's Cuties the entire time.
Speaker 5: I think, I think we can make this happen if we just want to put in the waters.
Speaker 1: Now, we've lived in two cities where everything is so expensive that if you're like, here's a jar of prey, go how much is this? I'd be like sixty dollars. They're like, hey, how much is bake? And I'm like twenty two dollars.
Speaker 4: Drew like like deals everywhere where am I.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Sometimes even in Los Angeles, there's like several levels of grocery stores. You know, there's arewon which we've talked about, which is a nightmare. Then there's like Wholefoods is actually cheaper than the local place, Skelston's. Then you go Vonn's, and you go John's, and you go Ralphs, and it's like sometimes I'll walk around Ralphs and I'm like, look at this. It's like I'm stealing from this place. It's so cheap. But you're like looking around seventy nine incredible, And then my mom comes in there with me from the East Coast and it's like this is so expensive. I would overbid by four thousand dollars on every item.
Speaker 5: I mean, being an East Coast like Philly piece of shit, Like I was just like really really like tuned in again. I grew up just like watching my parents run a like Bodega poppy store. You already know, like if you're on the East Coast, that's what we call it, the poppy stores.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so I mean it was just like wah.
Speaker 5: Wah prices, like what are like if I'm there at the wa wife, I'm there at the Giant at the stopping shop.
Speaker 1: Like what are you getting? It's the smartest show ever created. It's every single an advertisements.
Speaker 2: Also the show, it's so all advertising, it's all capitalism, and it's so fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's so fun.
Speaker 5: It was My husband knows this, but like best day of my life, Like like he's like I understand why, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Isn't it weird that the models talk now though, Like you know, they have they have men and women models now, which was a good upgrade. And now they'll like check in with them and they'll be like good luck, and I'm like I know what we're doing. We're just these people are human beings. They deserve some agency in this world. But it's also like.
Speaker 4: The same joke every time, where they're like, is that bag of money heavy for you?
Speaker 5: And they're like, I've been working out every time every time if I had a Nickel millionaire.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way about sports. When you watch the NFL now, they do interviews with the coach, the head coaches during the game, and I'm like, who is this for? Who is wondering what the head coach is thinking? Two minutes into this, it's like, just play the game, Hey, how you feel about this time out?
Speaker 4: Who just wind just covering his mouth, just like no, no, not today. I'm I'm manic, just watching.
Speaker 1: We don't care, not just turn the thing, touch the thing, we don't care.
Speaker 5: Do the thing.
Speaker 4: Play the song, Go Eagles, go Berts.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. I am so happy because so you are. I think the third guest we've ever had that was a fan of the podcast that became a guest, and it's Kathry McCafferty is a really funny stand up who listens to every episode. And Alison Miller, great actress and has been on the pod and has since become a friend. Top ser you are a true fan. Where when we did our Philly show, the loudest show Bananas will ever do.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Kurt, Yeah, yeah, it was hands. I mean besides, besides that was like a super special you know people from.
Speaker 1: That was for mine, that was also me.
Speaker 4: That was the Benn diagram is me. I'm the middle part of both of those moments.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But you.
Speaker 1: Were sitting one foot away from me at the Philly show to my left and you were screaming so loud and so great, and then it turned out you worked with us to build Bananas Fest and I just like, you're a radiant, good vibes, positive energy person and thank you. It's crazy that out of that I don't know, the fifty or six fifty shows we've done, you stood out even amongst you those audiences. So thank you for being such.
Speaker 5: A d dellusion and confidence. I mean, y'all just really bring it out. No, I mean, this is what happens when you get like a Dominican as a fan, like we are just fanatics in general, like of where we are, of who we are, what we're listening to, Like you will know exactly how we feel. And by we I mean me and I wear my heart on my sleeves at all time. So you're welcome and thank you.
Speaker 1: That means a lot, got it? And one last thing, did you really not know that my favorite murder Karen and Georgia were on the second Bananas Show?
Speaker 5: I really I was hoping we could take this off offline because when I'm telling you, like I was just it's just so delirious, just like so tie happy and excited thinking about everyone except for y'all at that point, you know, true, And and I mean I was sitting at a Lisa a shout out to Lisa, who really really just held me down all the way in the back, and I didn't I didn't know, and I didn't know how if y'all knew how big of a fan I was, and I was just very unwell. I I mean, Karen and Georgia are just two incredible, incredible people who like even pushed me into like podcasting and just talking about what I'm passionate about and being funny about it and just having a heart about it. So it was it was a hundred It was one hundred percent a surprise that I am amazing. If once a day you can just say this is the best day of my life, even if just like for something super small or super big, like it's a good day. And that was that was my moment where it's like, after this amazing bananas fest, like I am in the same comedy den living room lobby area with Karen and Georgia, and that was just it was.
Speaker 4: It was the magic on top. So thanks.
Speaker 1: It was a fun secret surprise, and I'm just glad that even you, one of the five main people.
Speaker 4: That made nobody tells me anything.
Speaker 2: I'm really really.
Speaker 1: Kept it under our hats. I mean, I'm surprised Karen, Georgia knew we told him we were going to dinner at Roots, Chris Steakhous. They walked on stage. You're scared shitless.
Speaker 5: You're in your pajamas. Everything's so scary, like one of those like Luna toys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, m.
Speaker 1: All right, curty b let's dive into a story.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Here it is controversial study shows rats prefer jazz to classical music, went on drugs.
Speaker 4: What's controversial?
Speaker 2: This is you know what this is from Classic FM. Classic FM doesn't care about cocaine, you know, I think.
Speaker 1: It's about giving rats cocaine. Is the controversial part.
Speaker 2: I don't actually think that that's the controversial part. Miriam Colette sent this, and thank you Miriam. And if you have want to send your strange news story, send it to our dms on Instagram, at The Bananas Podcast or email us at The Bananas Podcast at gmail dot com. Classic FM, uh classic FM, I don't even understand me.
Speaker 4: Classic fume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, but I don't think it's like FM like music. Oh maybe it is classic.
Speaker 1: F fiers, classic uh fart monster. Here it is.
Speaker 2: It's by Maddie Shaw Roberts. Thank you Matty Shaw Roberts.
Speaker 1: Oh here or shere. They are truly my favorite writer.
Speaker 4: I wake up every day and I'm like, what does she have to say? On Classic not FM?
Speaker 2: Rats prefer the sound of silence to Beethoven and Miles Davis, except when they're on drugs, then they prefer the jazz. It says, the jazz, which is I love. I don't know if it's a typo, but I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: These are the results of a controversial twenty eleven study. This study has been around since twenty eleven, and I am shocked to my core that no one has ever sent it into Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Study by Albany Medical College and with scientists exposed thirty six rats to for a lease by Beethoven and four a brassy jazz standard by Miles Davis. The rats overwhelmingly preferred Beethoven to Davis, but they liked silence best of all. In the second part of the experiment, the rats were given cocaine and played Miles Davis over a period of a few days. After that, the rodents preferred the jazz even after the drug was out of their system. The research, according to scientist, showed rats can be conditioned to like any music associated with their drug experience. Okay, guess that's what I guess that's what we learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: It is so here where it becomes controversial.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see.
Speaker 2: In the months after Albany's med paper was published, it attracted criticism from groups opposing animal testing. Study made it into the top ten list of most ridiculous research on animals of twenty eleven. We thought this was particularly wasteful, said Eric Kleman, research director for IDA, which is in defensive animals, who ranked all of these MEDS paper the second worst for two music experiments on rats.
Speaker 6: Really because I think they do some really crazy stuff to add giving rats cocaine and letting them list listen to it jazz great.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is a waste of cocaine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, I think they're fine.
Speaker 5: I think they all have ADHD and we're like super overstimulated. And then all of a sudden they have a stimulant and they're like, this is it. This is this is actually where I'm going. I now listen to Snarky Puppy. I'm following them on tour. This is where we're going.
Speaker 2: But it also means that there is a laboratory that creates laboratory quality cocaine in the United States, which I did not know that was a thing, because there's no there. I don't Is it only fort like what laboratories making cocaine specifically to give to rats?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because I don't know if cocaine is being used in any other applications that would require like a like a you know, a consistent supply that has the same qualities.
Speaker 1: It's for some.
Speaker 4: Reason in in in an RV like off of campus, like it's it's really a moment.
Speaker 1: Don't you wish you had taken chemistry more seriously your holding Like sometimes I'm like, man, if I could just cook. When I watched Breaking Bat, I'm like, why can't I cook? I know, why can't I do?
Speaker 4: Why can't I cook? Period?
Speaker 1: I cook?
Speaker 2: I remember when I was there, was it was a time that you were there that I my my friends and I. There was a a chemist who was an Irish chemist. He had lost an arm from an actually an ira A bomb and he and he had phantom limb pain. But he really liked to do special K. But he didn't like the K hole that you would get in on special K. So he, because he was a chemist, he went and altered one of the molecular arms on the K molecule. And then once you alter it, it's just a chemical compound and you can get any factory in the world to just pump it out for you. And then he gave the recipe to this to a Chinese factory and then you could just.
Speaker 1: Go for a while.
Speaker 2: It was called raffel copter, Oh yeah, and you could go online and just legally order like three or four grams of raffel copter and it would come to your house in the United States. And so my friend did this because he read it about it on the internet and he's like, this seems interesting, and it was the weirdest drug I've ever done in my entire life. Of course, this is twenty years ago at this point, or like fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Twenty seconds ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was.
Speaker 1: Twenty seconds ago. He love shows.
Speaker 2: But it was like, I was like, oh, this is what you could do if you don't like certain aspects of a drug and you're a chemist, you could just alter it and then send it to a Chinese factory.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's poetic that he was able to alter the arm of whatever configuration that is, and not of his Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, okay, thank you? So is why is she won? Folks ninety five? On the wheel at Wheel of Fortune? Is is it heavy?
Speaker 4: Is the wheel is heavier than you think?
Speaker 5: But I'm I'm a big strong girl. I held that I cranked that ship.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 1: I think we're going to have to get your best clip of it and put it in our story this episode.
Speaker 4: You have to send it to clip is the best clip?
Speaker 1: Thank you? That's very true. Well that's so interesting. Yeah, I I god, was it? What the bigger purpose of the study was it to see okay great.
Speaker 2: The ultimate goal of this research, oh good, is to find medications that can help diminish drug cravings in humans, said Jeffrey R. Gordon, spokesman for Albany MED. The top ten list was made up of blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Albany Medical College defended the research, which was aimed at the undertaking understanding whether music can evoke drug cravings and animals. According to the authors, the study demonstrated that rats can be conditioned like any music. Yeah, we got that.
Speaker 1: Okay, we get that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't understand how you go from look we can make rats like jazz with cocaine to find medications that can help diminish drug cravings in humans. I don't see the connection. But that's just because we're dumb.
Speaker 5: That's why it's so controversial. That's why we're podcasting right now and they're making the lab code.
Speaker 1: That's why we don't work at all.
Speaker 2: Beany MED.
Speaker 1: I've never met a question missed in my entire life.
Speaker 2: Don't question if there if there's people doing rat cocaine studies, don't you dare question them? You let those rats have their cocaine and you let them listen to whatever type of music they want to.
Speaker 4: All right, So cocaine's the gateway to jazz and not the other way around.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 4: That's really what what I'm I'm deriving from this.
Speaker 2: But then it's also the it's the gateway back into cocaine once you've stopped doing cocaine. Then when you hear Biles Davis.
Speaker 5: Saca vicious cycle until you make your own progressive jazz album, and then it ends, that is the cycle, and it ends right there.
Speaker 1: Jack. Going to see jazz is a little bit like bowling, where when you get invited and you go, you have a great time, and you're like, we should do this all the time, we should do this every month, and then two years goes by and you do it again. Like in New York there was a couple jazz places that were fine and you would sit there and watch and have a drink, maybe your own date whatever. But then you're like, oh, that was really good. I really feel like I had a good experience. And then five years blow by and then you're like, boy, I didn't go see jazz again.
Speaker 2: No, but I do feel like that when I am at like a good jazz club like where it's like really amazing music, I'm like, I why am I not here every Friday night? This is the most awesome display of human creativity that has ever happened in the night that it's ten years and I haven't got back.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's the lack of fanaticism right where. It's like this guy Alfonso who just did the sickest lick for like six minutes that you've ever heard, has three Instagram followers, like you'll never.
Speaker 4: See him again.
Speaker 5: You know, uses Facebook for like, you know, bookings and everything. I used to be the hostess at a jazz club and the yeah Chris's Jazz Cafe and Philly what up? And it was the regulars were were regular, not to the music, but but to to the space, you know what I'm saying. So it was it was a very exactly allegedly and yeah, like like people who are there regular are are are not the people you want to regularly go to jazz shows with.
Speaker 4: The jazz is a front.
Speaker 5: Everything else is like a Ceili's mattress form back there, like there's something nefarious happening. The jazz is just covering the noises of the nefariousness.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that. That's a cool thing. Yeah, put that in a horror movie or something.
Speaker 2: That's a really good idea.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting take on that. Do you know Scarlett. Do you know the comedian John Benjamin. He does the voice of Bob.
Speaker 2: Bob Burgers Archery. Yeah, so about ten years ago he still does it.
Speaker 1: He put out a jazz album. He does not play a musical instrument, so he sits at a piano, and then he hired like four of the best session jazz musicians in New York City and then he just to accompany him, bangs on the piano and plays little things and little riffs and little taps keys, and then these guys improvised with him, and he put out an entire album jazz music, and he does not know how to play the piano.
Speaker 2: Jazz Daredevil.
Speaker 4: Do you guys want to do drugs to it?
Speaker 1: It sounds yeah, you need to. It sounds like jazz. If you listen to it, you're like, yeah.
Speaker 3: This is it is.
Speaker 5: I think I think jazz is so punk. I think I think jazz is exactly like it's the same thing. I work with artists a ton and it's like, oh no, Like my post got twenty six likes. It's like, it's not about that. You could you can make art and never put it out and you're still an artist. I think it's so punk. I think it's funny. I think you can take it super serious. I think you can make it a fucking ship show and laugh at yourself. And I think that's what's so fun about it. I'm on so much cocaine.
Speaker 1: Your natural cocaine. Naturally you have that energy.
Speaker 4: To hear this.
Speaker 2: I encourage everyone to go just google the Mighty Boosh Jazz and there is that. There is like a moment from the Mighty Boosh Show, which was a show that happened and I don't know too early two thousands in the UK, and it is. It is one of the best clips about just like you fear jazz, you don't understand jazz.
Speaker 1: That's so good. I'll give it to me. I'll do one. I love doing this podcast. Eric Barbie sent this in. Thank you, Eric Barbie. What a great listener. I know, Barbie is a cool last name and it's B A R B E E. Very cool. You could see that being like a point guard for some big d one school here.
Speaker 4: It's gonna look great on a jersey. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, complex magazine, that's a real thing. I think it ain't simple, that's real, it's complex. Jay Lannie Turner Williams wrote this, Thank you, Jaylanie, you are the best at the business. Great and a complex magazine.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 1: Miami inmates explain how they had a miracle baby without ever meeting using ventilation duc Oh yes.
Speaker 4: Sir, absolute fucking lutely.
Speaker 5: And I'm so glad because I have no questions, Like from someone who's watched every like sixty days in like all these like prison documentaries. I'm like, I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. I think everybody who's surprised as a loser.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: I think these are the smartest people who just so happen to get caught. So let what what do you think they'll name the kidded dud.
Speaker 1: Don't yeh?
Speaker 4: Commas Commas middle Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: Cott is so funny. Cot Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Two Miami date inmates achieved the impossible deed of conceiving a child without ever meeting each other. After after delivering their baby child, a girl, in June, the parents are explaining how they were able to get pregnant from behind the bars of the Turner Guildford Night Correctional Center. I love it.
Speaker 2: I just imagine the meeting for the first time after be like right before the baby is born, and then the and then the mother is just like oh no, and the father like one arm is six feet long and the other ones two feet long.
Speaker 4: He's like, I'm sorry, I never mentioned this thick knack.
Speaker 1: According to according to Miami Fox affiliate w s v N seven, child's mother is Daisy Link. Cool name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she is d Link.
Speaker 1: D Link is twenty nine. And the father is it is it's Joan Depause, but I guess it's probably Johann Depause or.
Speaker 4: Like Johann deposited.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's good. Who is going to be a great name? Uh trage. Link was charged with second degree murder after killing her boyfriend in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: I thought, because of the impregnation, we don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she's killing in prison right now. After allegedly shooting her boyfriend in the leg, she yelled, you'll be fine, So this is good. Glad she's breaking somebody into the world. Meanwhile, Depause is charged with first degree murder and is now being held at the MetroWest Attention. Link claims her daughter was pro created by Depause putting a semen in Saran wrap. That's a good plug for that.
Speaker 2: Also notice this. Notice this. When they say the woman has second degree murder, they have to explain it because they're like, how did this woman murder someone? And then when they explain that the man did a worse murder, a first degree murder, there's just no explanation.
Speaker 1: It's like, of course he did. Yeah, yeah he was.
Speaker 4: He was a man, and now he's in jail. That's that's that's the pipeline.
Speaker 1: No, So, yeah, Depause put a semen in soran rap again, brand deal. I'm thinking sponsorship. Yeah, Saran's a cool name for a kid, Saran de Pause. That's a that's a pretty cool name. Passing it through the ventilation units and link, inserting the sperm through a yeast infection applicator. Okay, there it is. Look at that.
Speaker 2: That's pretty that's surprising that whatever chemicals are in the yeast yeast infect medicine didn't hurt the sperm.
Speaker 4: Admiral girl, it ain't looking for that. I know how medicine works. It ain't look for this.
Speaker 5: As a as a chemist and a doctor, I think that it wasn't looking for that. It was just like, hey girl, you go to the same spot.
Speaker 1: All right, you know, like it was Doorman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like, I'll take you. I know where we're going.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, she's a miracle baby, She's a blessing. Link said about the virgin baby. U excuse me about the virgin Mary. Yeah, I was, well, the baby's probably a virgin too. When it was crazy never having met Link, yeah, I would say so. Link revealed that she began conversing with Depaz through the neighboring ace events in their cells, classic stuff.
Speaker 2: How are and women like in the same building in this place, Kirk and find out.
Speaker 1: I don't know, being an isolation for so long, being an isolation for so long. He begin to spend hours and hours talking to this person, and you know, to the point where it's almas as if they're in the same room with you. This seems like a nightmare to me. It's like you'd have to put a pillow over it to be like, Okay, I'm going to go over to the other side. Yeah, stop talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how do you put yourself on? Do not disturb what's going on?
Speaker 2: You just don't answer no notifications.
Speaker 1: Please without having laid eyes on each other. Ever, the two began dating, and Depause shared his desires of having a child. I always wanted to have a baby, and I'm not going to get to do that for a really long time, he said.
Speaker 2: So I always hear somebody the best environment would be a medium class prison.
Speaker 5: Right here and right now, race all half. I think she's going to be a great mom. The way she handled that, get it, the shooting the guy, just being like, you'll be fine. She's going to say that to the kid all the time. You'll be fine, You'll be fair. You're gonna be fae.
Speaker 1: Real, walk it off, rubbed some dirt on it type of mom. Through email exchanges.
Speaker 4: Over the last Year's gonna snapchat it.
Speaker 1: So if I had to choose somebody, you know, it would be with you, And she was like, yeah, we could do that. See, they're just it's about communication. Relationships are always about communication. You gotta be on the same page, y'all. Depaz added that he put the semen in suran wrap like every day five times a day for a month straight.
Speaker 2: Five times a day. You gotta do I mean, yeah, for two months straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Twenty four hours, guys, twenty four hours in between your your saran wraps. Okay, that's how long it takes to get a full load.
Speaker 1: It was pulled through the L shaped vent using bedding material. Pretty interesting. So he was putting little paid baggies of dental dams and he's doing is you know, he's really going for it. He's pulling for the whole team, and then putting it on some sort of ripped sheet or mattress, and then she's dragging it around a corner.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 4: This is how much event has seen.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Of course they didn't get their law degrees. You know who would do that in prison? Who has the time? Not these two.
Speaker 5: This guy with the lot degree takes for years. Baby nine months, eight and a half. I understand it. I think it's a great hobby.
Speaker 1: I think Kevin Kardashian like seven years to get her law degree, so you know exactly, we don't have that time.
Speaker 4: Give me a baby for eighteen you know what I'm saying, and then fuck off. I love it for them.
Speaker 5: I think true love is real and out there. I think that most women would prefer to never see the man and just keep the babies. So good, good for her, you know, I just.
Speaker 1: Heard ninety thousand women nod at their iPhone as soon as you said that. After Link administered the Seman application, it was. It took a few tries, shockingly before she came pregnant. I was very excited. I was ecstatic about it. Links hid. The infant was born at Jackson Memorial Hospital, and the parents check in with her through phone calls and video visits. Depasa's mother is now raising the baby girl. Okay, okay, all right. While the birth was miraculous for the parents, officials are reportedly conducting and ongoing internal affairs investigation at Miami Dade Corrections. Well, I bet they are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're just flashing the flashlight in between the event back and forth for like three hours a day.
Speaker 4: I mean, be for real.
Speaker 5: And I like the fact that it took a few tries, like she really made it real, Like she missed the whole the first time, and then she was like, now you got it. You know, she really made it an experience for herself. I'm I'm happy as how I think this kid has a family and a future and a really good book deal coming up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you need a manager for this baby too. We gotta root for this baby.
Speaker 2: You gotta root for the baby. You can't really root for any other human being in this story. But also debate as well.
Speaker 4: I think that Wilita is a real exactly exactly so good.
Speaker 2: For imagine that though, you're just like, Okay, finally I raised a child. You know I did, I did my job great, and now, oh surprise, here you go.
Speaker 1: You did it so well.
Speaker 4: Here it is again.
Speaker 5: You know, like you're paying the perfection tax. When you did it so fucking well, you just gotta do it again. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: Also, you gotta you gotta shout out the mom Daisy for going to the hospital, the correctional facility nurse so many times, going got another yeast infection going on, and like how is this possible? She's like, what's gonna need another one of those houst infection kids.
Speaker 4: Dalink is a real one.
Speaker 5: Dalink dealing forever whatever whatever she's doing. Put her po box in her in her in her description, because we're.
Speaker 1: Hitting around forever.
Speaker 4: Get like an airbrush, like T shirt be like yo for your girl Dalink like.
Speaker 1: Is romantic. Yes, that they chatted so much through the HVAC system that they that they just knew each other. That there is something. This feels like a movie that if you saw a black and white version of this from the nineteen fifties, you'd be like, Wow, this is a crazy story. This is a classic. It's just weird now that you're like, yeah, they're both murderers and uh, saran rap was involved. But the falling in love through the vents. Yes, it it's like a John Chiever short story or something. Or it just feels like an American story.
Speaker 4: That's what I was gonna say, the American dream, Like this is this is why we're here.
Speaker 1: You got cool, Luke.
Speaker 2: It involves It involves innovation, incarceration, and saran wrap.
Speaker 4: This is America.
Speaker 2: And plastic products.
Speaker 1: I do have a good time in Miami. It's a very fun city.
Speaker 2: I'll tease this into us some thumbs up. Oh I got some all right, extinct bird. I'm only doing animal stories. Extinct bird re evolved itself back into existence.
Speaker 1: Good for that bird. Yeah, good for that bird. Here's your thumbs up. You can always send him to me. I do my best. Laura Kelly is thumbing up her best girl, Reedy. She was the best dog who ever hopped a tripod lady who recently crossed to the Great Dog Park in the Sky. That's a nice way to say that, yeah, Lara says the best. That reader was the best. And the best way that bananimals can honor ready would be to adopt older, disabled, or just a little bit different dogs next time they're ready to welcome one into their family.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Thumbs l And if it's Lara, I apologize, it's l a R. I'm going Laura. It might be Lara, but you're the best. Jennifer Lynn is thumbing her friend Mikey way up. He had a foot of his coal and removed and he's feeling like a champ. Younger men, she says, please go get kolonoscopies, but also younger women. Everybody go get it. It's so fun. My dad had that happen and he said he was part of the semi Colon club. So congratulations to Mikey for being in the semi Colton club. Kurt and I get kolonospy's. It's it's fun. Everybody grow up. Stop being so afraid of it. Go get it. It's so fun. Uh. Gobble is thumbing herself up because she has survived thirty six years and grade school having the last name Gobble. Her first name is Alexis, and she says, no, this is not a joke. It is actually my last name. So thumbs up to Alexis Gobble. That is a great name, and go a Gobble.
Speaker 4: We got you girl, a gob.
Speaker 1: A gobs great name. Stacy An, our New York friend, wants to thumbs up the company she works for, Dimension Renewable Energy in California. They help low income and energy and secure communities in California get powered up and back online. That's nice. Yeah, a few Stacy. Stacey's been a real one, been to a few of the Bell House shows in Brooklyn, and last but not least, one of my very favorite bananamal names that I've gotten to know over the last four and a half five years, right up there with Hero McNulty and Pal Brammerdam a Hero, which are just two great names. Pal Brammerdam is so good I literally think about it at the gym sometimes, so I'm like Pal Brammerdam.
Speaker 4: That sounds like the beginning of like that that one song.
Speaker 1: Uh, Old Black Betty. Yeah, it really does, Old Black Betty Palell Brammerdam. I'm sure she gets that. I hope she didn't go to school at like University of Georgia. She'd be screwed.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anyways, this name is just as good. Honey Donawitz Don Yeah, wow, Honey Donawitz. I mean, if your lawyer, your court appointed lawyer, is Honey Donalitz, you're getting off. Yeah, you're done. Bands down the other prosecutor. He just opens his briefcase and throws the papers in the air and walks out of the court.
Speaker 5: I want to brand them to everything, Honey, case closed, like it's just so, it's just so good.
Speaker 4: Honey, you got another thing. I don't know I'm giving that this voice, but it's all and good.
Speaker 1: I love you, Honey, and I hope you live how you want to live, do what you want to do. Honey Donowitz is thumbing herself way way up for doing her first open mic at the Creak and Cave in Austin, Texas. So she didn't exactly kill it, but she didn't bomb. Honey is proud of herself for not being a little bitch with a dream anymore. Nice Anyways, thumbs up to you and all these ban animals who are doing great things and trying to make this world a great place.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a fantastic and if funny we are here with the wonderful and fantastic Scarlet Estelle. So second season of your podcast is coming out soon.
Speaker 4: It's coming out soon, and I mean this.
Speaker 5: This podcast came out the year of the fiftieth anniversary of hip hop. That's how I was celebrating it.
Speaker 1: Fall up.
Speaker 5: He was my favorite brand, lol, and I love hip hop. Hip Hop is just such a big part of just my music taste and everything I do now. And so I was like, what a way to just bring journalism and broadcast and everything together and just tell the story of the ways that they interact, which is a lot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The lead singer Patrick produced for Loupei Fiasco. They've worked with Kanye, They've worked with Jay Z, they toured with fifty Cent, they toured Withis Khalifa. They just brought out with Was Khalifa at When We Were Young in Vegas last year. They have a whole album full of remixes with like original verses from some of the biggest rappers, from like Migos to like Zatoven the producer and everything in between.
Speaker 4: So that was my love letter.
Speaker 5: And the season one goes chronologically, I mean, the whole show is chronological, so you'll start at the very beginning of their career and we go year by year, topic by topic, and right now we're right in two thousand and nine where unfortunately they had hiatus and they broke up, so I'm also taking a little break. But this hiatus is great because this hiatus allowed them to really try out new sounds, and they grew up so much while they were in the band that when they did get back together, it's it's what made Fallout Boy today what it is. So we're gonna start crawling into the hiatus and how it's shaped what it is. And it really isn't just about hip hop. It's a love letter to black music, to black art, to the way that black you know, culture influences everything we love, even the things that we don't think it does. So it's again a love letter to just like black art and black fans and you know, people of color who are in the scene who might not always feel seen, but it's it's.
Speaker 2: For them, so go check it out. Check it out Fallout.
Speaker 4: Boys Too Men dot com. Yes, it's a real u are l and you can.
Speaker 2: Find ever really there. Yes, say it again, Fallout.
Speaker 5: Boys Too Men dot com, so b oc two men dot com. Or Scarlett Estelle as Sugar, We're going in on everything. It's a fun time.
Speaker 1: Scarlett, you don't know this, or maybe you do know this. I don't know what you know. Sorry to speak like I know what you know. Hurt once did a like a v H one MTV countdown Top one hundred videos of the Year, and he came over to my apartment with our good friend Chris and we wrote jokes together, and one of his jokes that got on was for a Fallout Boys song where you.
Speaker 2: Probably know the music video of your memory? Do I not remember doing this show? I don't remember any of this, And you remember the joke that got on television?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it is the music video and I don't remember the song, but.
Speaker 5: Probably Sugar were going in or thanks for the memories, Yes, thanks for the memories. And then Pete Wentz makes out with Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, So and Kurt goes, there's monkeys play guitars, there's monkeys singing. The only monkey that's got there Mickey Dolan's who was the drummer for the band the Monkeys, and Kurt Chris and I wrote probably seventy five jokes, and Kurt got two jokes on because those specials they didn't want jokes. What they specials wanted they would go. And Kirk got another one on for Bruce Springsteen where it was like Bruce's it was radio nowhere, it was yeah, this is ready to know where, And Kirk got on because what they want you to go is it's Bruce Springsteen. He's back, and that's all they want. They just it's all They wound bites that are like great band, great songs, love the video, and they're like all they were wanted.
Speaker 2: And I was always there, like with a punchline, and they're just like uh huh, uh huh. What was the do you remember the Bruce Springsteen joke?
Speaker 1: It was it was you complimenting Bruce being back.
Speaker 4: It was you saying, uh, Bruce is back, white guy.
Speaker 1: They were like, yeah, he's Jersey guys, but he's like I love it. He's like yeah, guitars, drums, Bruce singing about bubb but Bruce is back, and we were like yay, So four hours of joke writing, also watching those videos on YouTube and being like think think think think thing and then thanks for the memories, yeah, Kirk.
Speaker 2: And it was insane how those shows always worked because you would in there being interviewed for like two hours, and you always had to have like a good funny thing to say about every dumb thing that they would show you, and then they would ask you question after question after question after each thing. So like you, it would be like two two and a half hours, three hours under these lights of just like be funny, be funny, be funny, and then they would take like two things.
Speaker 4: God do I do that alone? I would have really five hundred bucks, no.
Speaker 1: Residuals, five hundred dollars and then over nine thousand times. Yeah yeah, damn, you got ripped off. They want people to sing along. They want the comedians or the talking heads to be like when it says dance dance, they want them to go like dance dance and they just wiggle and that's all they want. And they're like, god it you think those people are making five hundred dollars. No residuals. Damn. No wonder that network went under anyways.
Speaker 4: Could have been zero in a panic at the disc song.
Speaker 2: So here it does. Extinct bird re evolved itself back into existence.
Speaker 1: This is just fun.
Speaker 2: This is just fun. This was sent in by Parker Emri. Thanks Parker, Parker.
Speaker 1: Thank you for Parker or I'm Ri.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Imory, I'm right.
Speaker 1: Cool name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but it is a great nice name. This isn't US news, the.
Speaker 4: Very US news.
Speaker 2: This is by Alexa Ladieri.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: Alexa. Really good at typing about birds. She's the best in the business. Uh.
Speaker 2: Once the bird okay, this is the subhead. Once the bird became extinct. It took twenty thousand years for it to return and evolve into a flightless bird.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: That's the funniest part that it evolved into a bird that cannot fly, the one thing that makes birds birds. It's like, oh, it's still fails at it. I love it and it is a funny looking bird. A once a stick bird species re evolved itself into existence and returned to the islands it once colonized thousands of years ago. The al Aldabra Rail, named after the Aldabra atoll it inhabits in the is that how you say that, shells say shells shells, is the last surviving native flightless bird in the Indian Ocean region. It does a descendant of a flying white throated rail that is believed to have lost its ability to fly because the lack of predators made it unnecessary. I love that fossils of the Aldabra Rail have been discovered dating back one hundred and thirty six thousand years, but the island has since been submerged by the ocean, wiping out almost the ocean.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it takes it back.
Speaker 2: Aldabra went under the sea, and everything takes Julie Huge, a palaeontologist and author of the study, said in a press release from the Natural History Museum in London. There was an almost complete turnover in the fauna. Everything went extinct. Yet as the al Rail still lives on today, something must have happened for it to have returned. Newer fossils showed the Aldabra Rail was heavier than its ancestor, indicating that the bird had lost its ability to fly for a second time. Once the bird became extinct after the flood. It only took twenty thousand years for the white throat to rail to return and evolve. Okay, so I get it.
Speaker 1: So it's a bird.
Speaker 2: It's a bird that flies around the white throated rail lands on this island, finds that it's great, stays, doesn't have any predators, and then just stops flying altogether. So they become Americanized.
Speaker 4: They become Walllyes. So my so what my theory here? Hear me out?
Speaker 5: Are you about to take a huge trip here? Okay, so they went from air. They don't need air. The island part that they're walking around is just one step further because they will start swimming because the water is coming in. They're going deeper, they're getting heavier. Yes, yeah, this is an educational podcast.
Speaker 2: They're gonna become whales. Yes, they're going to become evolution works.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark my words.
Speaker 5: Play this back in two thousand years when they when they come back and they're swimming at you.
Speaker 4: That's that's what's next.
Speaker 2: I would love it if this became like a penguin bird. There is no case that I can find of this happening where you have a record of the same species of bird becoming flightless twice. It is kind of interesting. It kind of proves evolution exists right in just this like case real so weird when well, that's what I always hate about people like who are There's like certain science and Instagram accounts that I file that are always like they talk down to like like these idiot creationists who believe that God created the world in seventies. You know how dumb that is.
Speaker 1: This is how it happened.
Speaker 2: But then when you listen to like what actually happened, it's just as looney tune if it's crazy, if not more, it's just like, oh, an elephant went swimming a lot and now it's a blue whale. You know, it's just like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: It's so crazy. Yeah, And the people that get really mad about like being like I'm not a monkey, I'm not an ape, I'm not descended from them. You're like, it's just the opposite way, like an ape.
Speaker 5: Right now when they're saying it, they're like flinging shit and like their hands are in the air.
Speaker 4: It's really weird.
Speaker 1: Part of their body.
Speaker 4: It really weird.
Speaker 1: They just regret like apes. The number one most common bird in the United States. Do you guys know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm gonna guess.
Speaker 1: I think I know.
Speaker 2: Is it a swallow?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But is it a house finch?
Speaker 1: House finch?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: God damn it. What is it? It's the American robin is actually the most it's three hundred and seventy million. But there's this one called a junko and in a lot of states the j u nco.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 1: I looked up California and it's the junko and I'm like, I've literally never heard junko. I've heard Jenkos, but I've never heard of the dark eyed junko. Two hundred and twenty million junkos flying around and nobody's talking.
Speaker 4: About because birds aren't real. Oh no, hot take at the edge. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just think I just think it's really weird that we haven't seen them and that every household doesn't have them.
Speaker 4: If there's so many, I believe in signs and birds, you guys. That was just my hot take for that.
Speaker 5: In Philly, they're not real. They're not real. They're taking your money. It's it's not true.
Speaker 2: I would not put it past Philly pigeons to pickpocket people.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm a Philly pigeon.
Speaker 2: So many peas in that sentence. There was a lot of peas. That was all alliteration.
Speaker 1: It's a good vocal warm up for the podcast.
Speaker 2: It really is. My goodness, we're already at the end, Scotty, can you just tease us.
Speaker 1: A judge mocks drug dealer for not being very good at it?
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much, Scarlet Esteal for being okay.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys so much for having me. Thank you to the Bananamals for just being an awesome community. I think we all feel it where there's somewhere that we can turn to and be funny and cool and just chaotically positive, which is just always what I'm trying to get at.
Speaker 4: So thank you. I appreciate you both.
Speaker 5: I've I always just love listening to y'all and just love seeing y'all grow as artists as people.
Speaker 4: And thanks for having me around. I really really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You are so welcome. Follow listen, be a big fan of Scarlet because we are about sugar.
Speaker 4: We're going in fallout boys toomen dot com and all the social medias and.
Speaker 1: Bananas Bananas is an exactly right media production.
Speaker 2: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 1: The catchy banana theme song was composed and performed by Kahon.
Speaker 2: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard, and.
Speaker 1: Our benevolent overlords are the Great Karen Kilgarriff and Georgia Hartstart
Speaker 2: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern.