Speaker 1: Welcome to rich on tech Live, Umrich Dmiro, And this is the show where I talk about technology we can all use every day. Plus I take your calls live and answer your tech questions. What is going on on? Rich Dmiro the tech reporter at KTLA five News in Los Angeles. You can learn more about me at richon tech dot tv. This is episode two hundred and eleven. You can find show notes at richon tech dot tv slash two eleven. Rich on tech dot tv slash two eleven. And if you're listening to this by podcast, I would love if you shared a screenshot with your friends. Just take a screenshot of you listening to the podcast on your screen and share it on social media. Phone lines are open right now for all you folks watching on Facebook live three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. So welcome. This is the last show before Christmas. Can you believe it? Christmas always seems to creep up on me. I don't get why it happens every year, but for some reason, I don't know, I always feel like I run out of time, and this year I feel like it's really weird because Christmas is on a Monday, and so I feel like it's just really strange because I'm off next week and not this week. So usually I have time off before the holiday and then you get time, but now I don't. So but it's fine. We all have Saturday and Sunday, which is kind of fun and that's different. So if you want to call me and talk tech, you are free to do that. But I want to talk about this big story first that everyone is talking about, and this is the thing about Apple with their iPhones. This is Apple confirming that iPhones with older batteries are sort of slowed down. And this is the thing I've been getting this question as a tech tech reporter for Everyone's always like, hey, Rich, does Apple slow down my old iPhone? Because it sure feels that way, And I always said no, of course, they would never do that. Why would Apple do that? They would never knowingly slow down your phone. Well, it turns out they do. So this all started with a bunch of people on Reddit noticing that their phones were slowed down if they were a little bit older. And then people did a bunch of tests and they figured out that if they replaced the battery on the phone, it would actually speed up again. So people figured, h is it a battery thing? And then of course they asked Apple some some tech reporters, and next thing, you know, Apple says, oh, yeah, actually, here's what we do. Because lithium ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands and cold conditions, or they age over time, the device can unexpectedly shut down. So we released a feature last year for the iPhone six, iPhone Success and iPhone se to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down. Now what does all that mean. Basically, what it means is Apple is saying as the batteries age on these phones, they don't work as well, and Apple doesn't get the performance that they deserve out of these devices, and so they slow them down to kind of smooth it out. Now do they slow them down to a crawl? How slow do they make them? We're not really sure. But the reality is Apple did this. People are just finding out about it. People are up in arms about it. They're not happy. And here's my advice for Apple, because you know, I don't think this is a bad thing. On part of the iPhone. And it's kind of interesting because if you look at the Android world, here's the biggest difference I see. When you're on an Android device, you feel like you're in control of that device. And that's what Android lovers, and that's why a lot of them are kind of nerds love about their Android phones is they can tweak everything they need to about that device. When you're on an Apple device, you can't really tweak very much. Yes, you can download some apps and pick things up, but you can't really you can't even put apps on the home screen the way you want to. You know, you have to arrange them the way that Apple wants you to arrange them. And that's nice and it keeps the phone working very nicely. But the reality is, I think Apple needed to tell people they were doing this, just let them know, and then if they could put the option in the settings to say, hey, I don't want this done on my phone. I have an older phone. I'll deal with the peaks and whatever and the automatic shutdowns, but I don't want to have my phone slowed down. So that's the difference here, and I think that's the mistake they made. We'll see what they do. It's you know, it's still not the company. Look, it's still a good phone. The iPhone is still a great phone. It's and they do run longer than most of the phones out there, So I still think in that aspect, they're pretty darn good. They last a long time. You know, when you get when you're done with your iPhone, you give it to someone else. You sell it to a family member, you give it to a I mean you sell it to a friend or you give it to a family member. I don't really see that happen as much with Android phones. When those things are done, they're like they're they're toast. You're not giving those to someone else to use. So Apple, interesting little story. Apple seems to not be able to catch a break late. They had the home Pod delayed, They had the mess up on the Mac operating system with the hacker issue with the route, they had the iOS eleven problems. I mean, just so many. I feel like there's a new iOS update all the time. Doesn't mean it's over for this company. Look, you got to hand it to all these tech companies. They're doing stuff in a way now that they never did before, and that's making fast iterations on things, and so you have to give them credit for that. We're living in a new time. This is not the old days where you buy a washing machine and it does the same thing for ten years. This is a phone that constantly changes, and that's what we're dealing with. So phone lines are open three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. You want to talk about tech, you want to talk about your iPhone slowing down, tell me what you're getting for Christmas, whatever you want, or you can chat on if you're watching on Facebook Live, just go ahead and chat me up and I will tell you. Jill says on Facebook Live, I just got a new computer. It already says my one drive is full. Am I supposed to update it and add more storage? Well, Jill, it sort of depends on what you have in your one drive already. So if you're signing in on a Windows machine, it's probably carrying over everything from your other device. So it really depends on how much you have in that one drive and how much you want to pay for storage. So let's see what the one drive pricing plans are. So I think it's like ten dollars for a terabyte. Yeah, so let's see one drive plans. Let's see here we go. One hundred dollars for the year gives you five gigabytes five terabytes total. So or you can pay seventy dollars for the year and get one terabyte. Or you can pay fifty gigs and pay for two dollars a month. So I say go with the fifty gigs for two dollars a month and see if you need more than that. All right, nine o nine, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 2: Hey, Rich, I am watching your show right now, and I had a quick question.
Speaker 1: Sure who speaking with the Holidays?
Speaker 3: My name is Vince.
Speaker 1: Vince Yeah, okay, cool, what's up?
Speaker 4: Awesome?
Speaker 2: So I am getting the Apple air Pods for Christmas, and I really have been reading the reviews online that you know it's at, you know, being Apple's first venture and the wireless headphones and so forth and so on, and I wanted to know your take on the Apple AirPods.
Speaker 1: Apple AirPods are the best, the best headphones I've ever used. So I hope that answers your question. They are amazing. Did you are you a runner at all? What are you gonna use these for.
Speaker 2: Basically, I just don't want to carry my phone around and I'm basically going to stream music from my watch. Well I'm out and about just kind of just trying to ditch the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's absolutely amazing. They are. They are my favorite gadget of all time when it comes to these headphones. So there's two that I like, and one of them is the air pods. And what I love about the AirPods is number one, they work with both iPhones and Android devices, so you don't have to use them just with the iPhone. They work equally well with Android. On iPhone. You get some benefits like they pair up to your phone really fast, you can put them in your ears, you can take them out, they will pause the music on your phone. You can summon Siri from them as well. So there's a lot of things that they do when they're connected to an iPhone. But they also work really well with Android, which is really nice and most people don't talk about that. They don't fall out of my ears, so I love that aspect. The battery lasts so long on these things, I really don't even think about charging them ever because it always just seems to work and so every time, and if you do need to charge them, they will charge up really fast. So I mean, I literally if I need to go out on like a run, I'll just put them on the charger for a couple of minutes. So I mean they're really really good little devices. Is there anything specific that you were wondering, like anything you read in reviews that you were worried about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually you just brought it up when you said they don't fall out of your ears. That's the thing I was worried about, Like am I going to be running or am I going to be somewhere and they just fall out? And if they do, ever do is there's like a like a I don't know how, like string or something that you suggest that they're that they make that holds them together so they don't fall out.
Speaker 5: So I.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've run many many miles in mine and I've never even thought about them falling out. And if they do fall out, the one thing that's good is that your music will pause, so you'll you'll have like an audio queue that something happened. But I've never even I've never even had like a thought that they might fall out. They're that secure in your ears. Now, I'm sure you can look online and they might have like little rubber tips you can put on them, like maybe that that go around the tops of these things that will keep them in your ear even more. I don't think you need them. I don't think you need the string. I really think you're going to be just fine with these things, because I was very skeptical because every single pair of headphones that I get, they fall out of my ears. No, no headphones ever stay in my ears. And I put these things in at the Apple event back when they came out. God, it's going on like two years ago, I feel like now, or maybe this was last year, but they just stayed in and I moved my head around and it was fine. So I think you're gonna love these things. I really I want to get my wife a pair, but they've been out of stock. Now they're back in stock. But I've really just been talking up the praise on these things. So I hope that helps answer your question, does it, Vince?
Speaker 2: It sure does? And thank you for your advice, Richie.
Speaker 1: All right, good good luck, and send a tweet with a picture of you with these headphones on. All right, Vince, take care, thanks for calling. I appreciate it, all right. Phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. So you know, it's so funny this whole uh, this whole Skype thing. They are, yeah, they I always tell you, guys the problems I have with this podcast, but so they change Skype and literally I'm like, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to turn off all these like while you guys, you guys keep calling in, and the problem is when you're calling in, I get like a thousand notifications while I'm on the phone with the caller. And it doesn't make sense to me that that Skype while you're on the phone with someone would literally give you one hundred and fifty notifications with all these different sounds and stuff of people calling. So Skype, come on, figure this out. Please. People want to do a radio show with Skype? All right? Six three zero You are on with Rich six three zero. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 3: How you doing Rich? This is Giuseppe from Chicago.
Speaker 1: Giuseppe and Chicago. How you doing.
Speaker 3: Good? How are you good?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great? Are you ready for the holidays? Or what I think. I think I am very good. Okay, well, you've got.
Speaker 3: Enough electronics and more than that, I can imagine that I really want that I can't get yet, but I will.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the way I feel. Sometimes we all do. So what's on your mind? What can I help you with?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: So my question is on the Google Hole, yes, and Google Mini. So I've had the Google Home for since it pretty much came out, and uh, I love it. And then I started adding, uh, you know, the smart plugs and everything, and then and that's after I got the Google Mini. But I've noticed that the Google Home has a problem a talking to the smart plugs, like I have the Smart.
Speaker 1: Life okay plug.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if I tell say, I say, okay, Google, turn on the Christmas tree. I on my Google Home. I can't do that. I have to I have to go into Google Home like this. I have to say, okay, Google talk to smart Life and then smart Life comes on and says what would you like to do? And if I turn on the Christmas tree by that time, I could go over there and hit the switch. But my Google Mini, which is my master bedroom, I could tell it automatically, you know, Okay, Google, turn out my my my Christmas tree, and it'll do it right away. Well, I don't know if if it's just something that because Google Home is a little older.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't have that absolutely no, no, no, I mean I'm I use mine for my Christmas tree every day. I think it sounds like there's something that's not set up properly because okay, so you're saying you can say the exact same thing to the mini and it will turn on the Christmas tree, and you can say that exact same thing to the other one and it won't.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I was driving my wife nuts one day because I kept trying it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my wife is always Google.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, get up and do it. I'm like, no, this is why I got this thing. But I don't know. I don't know if it's because Google Home is a little older and it's an older version.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely no, I'm thinking of that.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Have you so you've have you been in the app? And have you have you been inside the Google Home app on your phone and have you looked at all the settings in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because of what I noticed yesterday, I noticed that all my settings were reset inside my app because I was having some trouble with one of my devices and I noticed that everything had gotten reset, and I was like, that's weird because I didn't do anything differently, So maybe your setting's got reset. But I would go in and kind of look through everything and see or maybe just kind of refresh the Google Home and just start fresh with it and see if it kind of picks up everything once again. But it should absolutely be able to do that command, and the same command should work across both of them. There's no different software. Believe me, these things are almost one hundred percent software based at this point, so they're getting the same. I mean, yeah, they don't have different capabilities based on the Home, the Mini or the Home. So but yeah, I've got all that stuff set up. I love it. I mean I've got my Christmas tree, I've got my lights outside inside, I got the smart plugs, I've got the lights. And the best thing I was telling this story to my friends at work today, the best thing that ever happened was I was in my office right here when you see me on the Facebook, and I was testing something for Halloween where you can say, okay, Google, get spooky or something like that. And I thought it would just like change the stuff in my office. Well, it was changing everything throughout the entire house. So my wife comes running in. She's like, what are you doing? Everything is messing up and I was like, oh, whoops. So these these smartphone things are really fun for some reason. We really like love it. We love to play with these things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm love it where it's going And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you checked out the Max that's the one I was playing with today.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Max, not yet.
Speaker 1: So that's like the Giant. That's the giant Google Home one. And this thing. I had it at the office today. I was doing a segment with it and it is so loud that I mean, that thing is unbelievable. So it's four hundred dollars. It's way way expensive compared to the Mini. Is like pretty awesome for like thirty bucks, forty bucks whatever they charge now. Yeah, but Max is, uh.
Speaker 3: You really need the speaker than okay, maybe the Max, but I mean the Google Home is a pretty good speaker of the many you know esause she putting it in every room in the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I think I think the speakers on these things are awesome, even though they're they're pretty small, and the MAX just takes it to a next level. I have a so no speaker that's pretty loud, so I use that most of the time for my music, so I don't necessarily need to get the MAX just yet. But we'll see, we'll see. Schoogles slowly converted me. All right, Jeppe, thanks so much for calling in from Chicago. How cold is it over there?
Speaker 3: Only forty degrees today. We've been having a pretty good one.
Speaker 1: Okay yet, oh well we expected Okay, all right, we'll have a great day and have a merry Christmas. Okay, okay, bye bye. All right, there you have it. Uh oh sorry, I am so sorry. Oh I just got Amy on the live stream is saying, oh my god, my Mini is hearing you say the words. So I'm so sorry. Uh, I know it's I it's one of these things where, uh you know. That's why I don't really try to say this stuff on TV or on the air, because if you say these code words, basically, the problem is that they all these things go crazy, they all go nuts. So I don't say the word the a word I call it, which is I don't want to say. It's like the Amazon One, you know. And then the the B word, which is a R. I'm sorry, the A word and the B word. Sorry, I'm trying to figure out these notifications on my computer, so I'm a bit distracted. But the A word, which is you know, A L E X A, or the G word which is g O. You know, okay, g O O G L E. All right, let me talk about something else I think is really interesting. And I feel like this is something that I predicted in my mind a while back. But GM turning a million cars into basically rolling podcasts destinations. I guess they're saying it on the USA today. So you know, these new General Motors cars have a infotainment system with a four G L T E connection, right, And so now what they did was they have eight news and entertainment companies like Fox Sports, USA Today, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, NPR, People Magazine, and Dash Radio. And now you can download an icon for those services right onto your home screen on your GM car. And what does this mean? Well, that means you get one click access to that audio. And you're like, okay, well big deal, Rich, I can do that with my phone. I can get any audio I want. But here's the difference, and this is what's kind of crazy, is that this is coming right to your dashboard. So I'm talking. Imagine if there was a one touch button for rich on Tech and you get in your car in the morning and you just tap that and next thing you know, it's streaming this podcast twenty four to seven and you're always hearing the latest tech news. That's pretty cool, now, I get it. You can already do that with your phone. But this is kind of cutting out the middleman. And this is what's really interesting when you think about radio stations, how they have the broadcast territory in a market or like serious you know fifteen one hundred and fifty different stations. Well, now imagine anyone is available to have one touch access to anything they want, like any content without going through a phone. I get it. A phone is easy. But the difference is and this is I think their problem with this. This is this is their mistake that GM's making. And this is because GM, you know, they have a deal with AT and T to get the four g LT in there, but they really want to sell data plans because to use this, you have to have a data plan on your car, which I don't think a lot of people are going to do the data plan in their car. We all have unlimited plans nowadays. I don't think people want to payn extra twenty bucks for the unlimited plan inside a GM car. Now maybe I'm wrong. If you have that, if you pay for that plan, tell me on the live stream on the chat, But personally, I don't think that a lot of people want to pay for that. Already, our cell phones are so expensive. Why have a dedicated data plan just for your car. I don't really see the point, to be honest. So I think that's their mistake. I think they should have made this free, and by making it free, it would have driven the adoption of this, and then they could have built upon that. But I think it's really really interesting because when you think about a one tap access to your favorite show. So, for instance, I really like a guy named Dave Ramsey, Imagine if I could just tap one icon on my dashboard on whatever you call that infotainment screen and it just starts his show. Now I already do that through my podcast, but it takes a couple of clicks. Now, I think that this is kind of tough because a lot of us are already using a lot of us are already using the Apple car Play and the Android Auto, so it's kind of tough. I guess this would be more for people that don't want to do that, Like my dad is not going to do that. He's not going to use Android Auto or car Play. All right, six six to one, you're on with Rich. Sixty six to one, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hey, Rich, it's Greg from the Antelope Valley.
Speaker 1: Hey, Greg, what's up?
Speaker 5: Not a whole lot.
Speaker 6: I actually got no question today. Oh okay, I just called in to wish you everyone merry Christmas and healthy and happy New Year.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much. Merry Christmas to you two. I'm I can't believe that it's already Christmas. I feel like it was just last year that we celebrated Christmas. And I know it's been a year, but for some reason, it just goes faster and faster the older you get. You know, when I was a kid, it was like, man, Christmas, it took forever to get around. Now it's like, give me some more time. I need two more shopping days. But I'm excited. Well, thank you so much for that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: All I can say is thank God for Amazon Prime because I'm getting all my deliveries in two days.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I feel so bad for these guys that have to deliver all these things, and now is like the you know, this is the time, you know, like they are they are really under the wire. But man, it's crazy. It's just I see in my neighborhood they have them delivering them like all different ways. You know, There's like guys on bikes, there's guys out of tractor trailers. I mean there's so many like rented trucks. I see with the Amazon stuff. They are just really doing a good job this year.
Speaker 6: So yeah, last night I got a UPS delivery at nine forty five. I was about to go to bed, and I got scared because the doorbell rang.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you forget order, We forget that, we order this stuff. My wife is always ordering Prime now, and so I just get the knock at the door. I'm like, who is this and it's like delivery. I'm like, oh okay, oh man, all right, Greg, Well, thanks so much for calling in. I do appreciate you being a regular caller. In twenty seventeen and We'll see you probably in twenty eighteen. How about that?
Speaker 2: Yep, you will all.
Speaker 1: Right, have a great holiday. Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: Bye bye, you did the same, byebye.
Speaker 1: Let's see here I saw a question about let's see. Can I go back on my questions? Okay, Jen from the live stream says, Hey, rich how do I listen to a podcast? Where do I find them? Do I have to download an app to find podcasts? If so, which one you mentioned you're on a podcast? How would I access it? Great question? So here's the deal. If you have an iPhone, you have an app on there called podcasts. You can just download the podcast through there you can search if you try searching rich on tech, you'll find it. If you want a better podcasting app, the one that I prefer on a iOS is called overcast, and so overcast dot fm is the iOS app that I like. I just think it feels nicer, it looks better than what you can get from Apple on THEIRS. And you just download that app. It's free, and then you search in there for podcasts. So try download that app, then search rich on tech and then you will find my podcast. You subscribe press like a little plus button and then when you're in your car, hook up your phone or Bluetooth whatever, you do, play the app, play the podcast, and next thing you know, you're listening to this in your car. It's pretty cool. I'm like almost like exclusively podcasts right now when I drive. Maybe a little Christmas music mixed in there. Now, if you're on Android, my favorite Android podcasting app is called pocket Casts, and pocket Casts I think it's like four dollars, but it really is amazing, so I think it's one of the better ones. My favorite feature is that I can star episodes that I want to listen to to listen to later. And it's just a simple little thing, but I can go through it when I'm sitting at my desk at work and say, oh, there's a new podcast, there's one I want to listen to, and then I can just star them, and then when I get into my car, I just go to my starred playlist and just pick one that I want to listen to. So Joel says, Hey, Rich, your info is invaluable. Thank you. Can you suggest a cloud based storage service free and paid that you love? Thanks well? Personally, I am all about Google Drive. I really really like Google Drive. It sort of depends what platform you're on. Now, on iOS, you can use the built in iCloud, and there's Cloud Drive, which might be easy if you're on iOS, you have an iPhone, you have a MacBook, you have an iPad. That might be the easiest for you to use because it's just sort of into graded into the system and the pricing is about the same. Actually, I think I think iCloud might be cheaper than Google. So I pay ten dollars a month for one terabyte and I throw everything in there. So I just have everything in Google Drive and I have a backup of that as well. So the thing you need to know, Joel about doing this is that you want to make sure you have a backup of everything that you put in one of these drive services. And that's the scary part is that most people don't do that, so you have to figure out a way to do that. I have a little server that I use. I know it's a big setup, it's kind of a little bit more than most people are probably gonna do, but that's what I have. It's called Synology. Synology I'm looking at it right now, and that's like a little server that mirrors anything that I put on Google Drive, so I always have a copy in real life of what I upload to the cloud because I don't think it's gonna happen. I don't think that Google is going away anytime soon, but if they ever do, I would like to have a copy of my stuff and not have to deal with the billions of other people that are trying to download their stuff from their servers before they go out of business at the same time. And I'm not saying that's gonna happen, but that's, uh, that's just a something that could happen. We've seen these things happen with other with other cloud services. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. I'm on the hunt on my Mac computer to figure out when someone calls me on Skype. I'm getting all these notifications like these blue bloop bloop blop bloop. Let me see if I can just turn on do not Stir, Do not Stir from one one pm two, I'm gonna I'm just gonna turn on do nuts sturb and see what happens one pm and uh, let's see one pm to seven pm. Let's see what happens okay, cool, So now I should be on do nut sturb all right?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Three one zero you're on with Rich three one zero Hello, Hi, how are you good? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: Rock Sam from Miracle Mile.
Speaker 1: Rock Sand How you doing good?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 5: I have a question for you, Rich. When the Apple id the computer? I got a five K Retina and I have my iPhone but it's it's a six S plus iPhone, which I still enjoy. But for some reason I updated. You know that problem with the Apple and the root issue? The security is just.
Speaker 1: Like we ago, yeah, on your desktop computer?
Speaker 5: Yeah. Ever since then, I've I've been asked to change my my password several times on my computer and also my my phone. So I changed it on my phone. I'm just going to keep this password. But for some reason it's my computers it's not accepting the password and it's been a few days. So I don't know what to do. I have Apple Service, but I think you probably would give me a better opinion.
Speaker 1: Well you never know, but okay, so let me just get this straight. So your computer? Which password are you talking about? iCloud? Are you talking about the the past?
Speaker 5: Apple? Apple?
Speaker 1: Okay, so when you sow Apple i D. So it says like, hey, log in with your Apple I D and where are you trying to log in on your computer with this like iTunes or what?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, And the password is working on your computer or not working on your computer, but it works the same password works on your phone.
Speaker 5: Yes. Shouldn't they be soneimaus? Shouldn't they be the same?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's okay.
Speaker 5: I don't And and I did call Apple about that. And it was funny because this was a few weeks ago, because it's been doing this for a while since I had the computer in September. It's the newest five k ret now, which is a great computer. That's a nice computer, but it is and why I edit, so I need a big screen, and I need a lot of I need a lot of you know band you know, all right, And but it was funny because the tech guy on the other other in and maybe go to a go on the computer, and and it was just really strange. He made me put in the word root and all kinds of stuff. So this this root thing kind of freaked me out. But anyway, I'm still not able to to get on the iTunes with the same pack who is this tech guy?
Speaker 1: Who is the tech guy that helped you?
Speaker 5: Oh it was on Apple. You don't have Apple Care.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you called them, you called them through a number and then the person did they access your computer somehow remotely?
Speaker 6: Or no?
Speaker 1: Yes they did?
Speaker 5: Yea, well no they told no. They gave me the instruction.
Speaker 1: They just gave you that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they told me to put the root and I and I. That was That was kind of funny because wait a minute, that's kind of the password.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh I see. Okay, yes, he used the route to to do some things in your computer. Okay, here's what I would do. Number one. Okay, no worry. So number one, what I would do is close out all the apps on your computer. Just close everything, Okay. Then I would I would go onto the apps, you know, the the Apple app store, like on your computer. You know that blue icon, and I would make sure you got all the updates for your computer. So I just clicked it looks like it looks like the app store icon on your phone, but it's the one for your computer. Go to updates. Make sure you have everything, Like right now, I'm looking like I have one update. Okay, so make sure you do all that, then restart your computer, okay. Then I would open iTunes, I would go into account and I would sign out, okay. And then once you do that, I would go to this website. I think it's let's see I forgot, let me see what it's called iforgot dot Apple dot com. Okay, and so I would I would start there, and I would change your password on that website. And once you have your password and write it down, like, write it down on a piece of paper. I don't want any kind of mistakes, you know, letter upper lower whatever, make sure you write it down perfectly. And then I would sign in, you know, make sure you can sign in on iTunes, and then go to your phone, and it's probably gonna prompt you to say, hey, can you sign in again because I noticed it changed and see if that helps. But it seems really odd that your computer would not take this password because it should be working. I mean, that seems really strange.
Speaker 5: So it's kind of scary, to be honest. It's like a minute they know each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, so cool. What kind of stuff do you edit?
Speaker 7: Just like like.
Speaker 5: Movies and just independent stuff, nothing big, you know, movies and I'm just someone to be well. But I use Avid Media Composer and sometimes Premier. You know, I use all that stuff. If you know editing software, it's pretty it doesn't it's really hard to on the computer with this kind of editing software I use. So that's why I just just decided to splurge some Ramen noodles for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: It was worth it, Oh totally.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: I got my new laptop just about, I don't know, a couple of months ago, and I waited four years, and it's it's like night and day with editing because it's just so everything's so much faster. But I that's why I stick with Max that laptop. Oh yeah, well I edit for TV. You know, I don't do my I have an editor at work, but I do some of my own stuff for like you know, little things like Facebook and that kind of stuff. But you use I use Final Cut. I use Final Cut ten.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, seven ten ten. Yeah. Ten is easy. It's nice, a good good product. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: It's kind of weird. I mean I learned on Avid back in the day. Well, I actually learned on you know, VHS back in the day. But uh, well you know, now it's all about uh, it's all about digital. So now I do most of my editing on my phone. I mean you could do. You can have an iPhone edit. It's pretty amazing what you can do. I can trim graphics everything.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I use I edit all the time on my iPhone. Matter of fact, for a final and a production as cinema production class, I use my iPhone and I get an A plus.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: See my movie was great. Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 1: It's it's unbelievable what you can do nowadays on your phone. And I'm talking Android too, I mean there's amazing. There's programs on Android. I just upload a video today from Android and it worked great. I mean it really, it's really pretty amazing. Rock Sam. All right, well thanks so much for calling from Miracle Mile today. Have a great Christmas.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, Thank you you too, me Christmas.
Speaker 1: Bye. If you guys want to know a cool program on Android and iOS that's good for editing, it's called Video Shop v I d e O s Hop, very simple, but I like that one. There's one called Adobe Clip. I like that one. There's a lot you can do. I mean it's really it's really quite amazing what you can do. Let's see here. Okay, I don't know what that's all about. Oh, let me tell you about this phone number if you want to call in by the way, three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. I'll be with you for another non fifteen minutes or so something like that. I think I told you guys about this before, but I think it's worth reiterating. So now on Amazon fire TV, great feature they added you can now surf the web on your TV. And I did a video about this on my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash rich on tech. People are loving it because you can now download Firefox or the Silk Browser, which I know you're like, what's the Silk browser? That's Amazon's own browser. You can now access that on your fireTV. Download those browsers. They're both free and now surf the web on your TV screen. So I get it now. Ten years ago, I would have thought this was amazing because everyone remember that dream of WebTV being able to surf the web on your television screen. Well, we don't care about that anymore. No one even needs to do that really anymore. There are some use cases where it comes in handy. But for the most part, we have apps. I mean there's apps for almost everything from redfin to Facebook. Facebook has an app, Twitter has an app, so you almost don't need to really be on there news. You know, if you're watching news on your TV screen, you're probably watching news. You're probably not reading it per se. You probably go on your phone for that. So there's really it's a very small slice of use case for these browsers. But the reality is it's kind of nice to have because sometimes you might be wanting to access a live stream or a video or something on your TV that is not optimized for TV, and so this will let you do that. So if Facebook says or Amazon says, you can do Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Reddit, local and international news sites, so international news I can definitely see if you watch a live stream of like a news station from somewhere else, video sharing services, cloud photo sites, and other social news, sports, and entertainment content. So what's the difference between Firefox and Silk. While Silk seems to be a little bit more full featured at this point, Firefox seems to be kind of thrown together. But that doesn't mean that it's bad. I mean it does the purpose. You surf the web, you find a link, you click the link and you can watch a video, or you can just use it to surf the web. So I would download both. See which one works for you. Now, I'll tell you the one time that this would have come in handy. There was an iHeartRadio concert. I think this was like last year or the year before, but there was streaming just on Yahoo, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out a way to, you know, watch this thing on my TV. I wanted to watch the concert on my TV, not on my phone, and I ended up casting it to my TV using Google Chrome Cast, but it was kind of a pain. I had to like mirror my screen and stuff. So this would have been a perfect use case. I would have just put the the coordinates in for the website and watched it right on my screen. Now, if you're into KTLA, which some of you are, you can use this to watch the KTLA live stream. And that's that's a pretty good use case there as well. Phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three six one four. You're on with rich? Hello? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 1: I can barely hear what's going on?
Speaker 4: My name is kay Hi.
Speaker 3: Well, that is exactly my problem.
Speaker 5: Whenever I try to talk to people, get gets cut out and it sometimes.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work on what on on your phone?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: What service do you have?
Speaker 2: I'm how you Sprint?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sprint? Okay, hmm. And does this happen everywhere using your phone or just in certain places?
Speaker 3: This actually happens in certain places, but sometimes everywhere.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Well, if I had to guess, maybe you're in an area that doesn't have the best service, and it could be I mean, it could be a lot of things. It could be that there's something on your phone near the microphone, So maybe I would get some canned air and perhaps as see if that helps. If you spray that very gently into your phone. You can use a little Q tip to kind of clean out all the different kind of openings on the phone, like on the bottom. And also you know where the microphones are kind of around the edges of the phone. That could help. I mean, it could be a Sprint issue too. Your phone might not have the latest provisioning. You can bring it into the Sprint store and say or you can call them up and say like, hey, I don't know. Maybe it's not on the latest tower or technology. It could be your roaming is turned in the wrong direction. You know, you might not have the roaming properly turned on. Your phone just might not be provisioned properly. So I would check those things and see what happens, and perhaps it would work better, because I kind of got it when you were talking to me here. It was definitely cutting out a little bit. So hopefully that helps. And I don't know what phone you have, but it could be the device as well. Wayne Smith on Facebook says, Merry Christmas to you and yours. Keep you keep up with all the good information. Rich Demro, just want to let you know up north in Winnipeg it is currently negative sixteen Oh my gosh, negative sixteen degrees in Canada. Who what is it here in La Let me see it is currently sixty degrees, So sixty degrees here in Los Angeles. And the phone number three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three three zero you're on with Rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 6: Ali?
Speaker 5: Rich?
Speaker 4: This is Peter.
Speaker 1: Hey Peter, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Not much.
Speaker 7: I was just wondering and I did already write it in the comments. What what camera you would you suggest that would be good for use in making videos, i e. YouTube and things like that.
Speaker 1: Good question. You know, it sort of depends on I mean, how professional are these videos? Like how do you want to be a blogger? Like what kind of videos are we talking?
Speaker 7: Yeah, kind of like that, like blogging, I would say, like mid range, but not like completely like you know, like KTLA or anything like that. Like, you know, just like something for a person that might want to make some YouTube videos or some educational videos.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's there's several ways you can do this. I mean the first is just to use the cell phone that you have, So that's like the easiest way, and then you probably want to get a microphone and a light because that will help as well. So when I shoot my stuff for like Facebook, we shoot on whatever cell phone I have at the time, So we've shot them on iPhone. You're on a cell phone now right now, I'm on a cell phone. Yeah, this is an iPhone that you're watching for you. Yeah, okay, so yeah, it's it's you know, and I've tried different things, and the thing is that cell phones are sort of the easiest because you can upload you can trim videos, you can transform to your computer. I also really like the GoPro, but the problem is the GoPro is not that convenient when you're trying to hook stuff up to it, Like it has a lot of accessories, but it's not the simplest as a phone is so and also there's no screen that you can see, like if you're trying to record yourself. It's super easy to see yourself on a phone because you can just put it, you know, facing yourself and see yourself on the screen like a selfie. So that's why I like the phone as well. But if you're doing if you're doing anything outdoors, like anything like hiking or out you know, at the beach, or you know, any sort of like driving, skateboarding, whatever, GoPro is probably gonna be your best bet because it's just simple, it's easy, you can get really cool shots. And the GoPro also has a wider angle. So that's one little trick, by the way, with all these videos is that the wider the angle, the better it looks. So right now, the video you're seeing on Facebook is a pretty standard angle. It's it's the iPhone selfie camera. It's not very good. But if you get something called an olo clip o l l O clip you can use that on your phone and I'll make the angle wider. There's another uh, there's a phone, the lg V thirty which has a wide angle camera, which is amazing. So if you're looking to do videos seriously, that's a nice camera to get it. And then of course the GoPro also has the wide angle, so that's really nice as well. So I think those are your best bets. But it's it's kind of fun. I mean, you just got to you know, like people that have been watching me doing this here, it's it's never perfect, but it's really fun because I'm just using whatever I find around the house to create this, you know, and that's the beauty of what the world we live in doesn't cost that much to do all this stuff anymore.
Speaker 7: Thank you for getting so thorough. I appreciate it. I I what I'm interested in getting the Google Pixel, is that the phone that you would recommend or what on?
Speaker 1: I love, love the Google Pixel, But for for creating what you want to do, don't get it because here's the problem.
Speaker 3: It takes.
Speaker 1: It takes amazing videos, amazing pictures. You cannot connect a microphone to that thing, and that's the biggest problem with it. So what I found is there's several phones and basically the LG's of the world and the Samsungs of the world, when it comes to Android, they really let you be more creator because you can hook up a microphone to those phones, and you know, I'm talking about an external microphone. And when it comes to the iPhone, of course, there's a billion accessories. That's really easy. When it comes to GoPro, there's a lot of accessories. For some reason, Google has decided to cut out all creators from its device and not let us connect a microphone. And I've tried this over and over in some of these other phones too, like the OnePlus does not accept a mic input, and there's ways around it, but they're not easy, and I don't recommend it. So that's that's I notice.
Speaker 7: My Samsung actually like has it without even connecting It really does a great job. I have the Samsung S six Edge Plus and it does a great job without connecting anything. So you're saying that the pixel wuldn't even.
Speaker 1: Do that mean I find that the audio I'm talking both. I find that the audio quality on the Pixel, even on the regular microphone is not very good either. So yeah, it's just not and I love that, believe me. I love that phone like I love If I could carry one phone, it would be the Pixel. But it's just it's it really disappoints me when it comes to actually creating stuff as a creator's device, it's very disappointing. Now anything Samsung, thank you for that, is very There's so many tools on those phones. There's audio recorders, there's so many things that are built in that let you be creative, whereas the Pixel just doesn't really have that. So when it comes to the real creators devices, I say LG, Samsung and iPhone and go Pro, those are your best bets. And if you really want to get expensive, all the YouTubers use this like super fancy like Cannon camera that's like six hundred bucks and it has a flipout screen so you can record yourself in it. But that's too expensive.
Speaker 7: So great, Yeah, definitely, thank you for the advice. All right, Peter, thanks for saving me money perspectively.
Speaker 1: You got it all right. Good luck with the videos and sem me one when you're done.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Mitch are have a great holiday. But byee, there you have it? Wow. Okay, so many of you guys call on three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. It's uh, we're at forty five minute, so I'll just take a couple more right now, do you guys? Uh? Two on three you hear me? Nope, okay, all right, I don't know what just happened there. That's uh, man, I just got like an error message to end all error message five six you hear me? Hello, Yeah, Hi, what's up?
Speaker 6: Hey? Y? How's it going?
Speaker 1: Who's this?
Speaker 4: This is Miguel from Long Beach.
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 5: I'm doing I'm good, I'm doing this.
Speaker 6: I just have a question.
Speaker 4: I just got an Apple Apple Apple TV four K, and according to Apple, they were supposed to convert your your your your HD movies to four K if.
Speaker 1: They were available in four K, right, yes, and you're not kidding.
Speaker 4: So I'm not getting that. I see I see them in H I see that they're in four K. But once I play them and I put down the info, it's this HD and.
Speaker 3: Not four K.
Speaker 1: Interesting. So you're saying, okay, now, what what movie? What is this happening with every movie?
Speaker 7: A lot of the movies.
Speaker 4: Well, I linked my movies on the Movies Anywhere. You know that you're obviously we're doing a transition right now where they're trying to join a bunch of studios. So I did the Movies Anywhere, and I had a bunch of movies on Voodoo and I had them on iTunes. But since I thought that maybe it was because of the Voodoo, I decided to buy new movies and I renewed them through through uh through iTunes. But it's still won't up convert them to four K even if they're available in four K.
Speaker 1: Hmm. So it's just the Voodoo movies.
Speaker 4: Huh, yes, well, yes, I think it's the Voodoo movies. Yes, that are that are having the issue?
Speaker 1: Were they recently or HD?
Speaker 4: I bought them in Blu ray, not not for k oh.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you bought them on Blu ray put in the code to voodoo like the the movies anywhere before it was called ultraviolet. Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well yeah, well yeah, but uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting and so is it's happening with every movie across the board, because I've noticed with the I've noticed with the four k Apple TV that not every movie has been upscaled to or not upscaled. It's just they give you the four K version basically. So I noticed with some movies it's there and some movies it's not. But you're saying it's across the board with all of them. Have you checked, like various movies, because you should have some that are in four K. It depends on the studio too, because like Paramount.
Speaker 4: Yeah, noe, yeah, yeah, I bought, I bought a few movies in four K, and I get the digital code and in the digital codes.
Speaker 3: In four K, so there are in four K.
Speaker 4: My question was like, you know how Apple said that they were going to convert your HD movies to four K for free, right and right, So that was my question. My thing was to save money was to buy Blu rays with digital copies and then redeemed them, redeemed them on through iTunes and get them unconverted to four K. That was that was the deal I kind of wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that plan should work because it's you know, I mean, now here's the thing. It's interesting because you bring up an interesting point and and the companies will always want to make you know, their money. So I'm wondering if now they've sort of turned off since you can buy four K now, I'm wondering if they turned off that ability to put in that code from a Blu Ray and get the four K version. Have you tried this recently or are these all old movies?
Speaker 5: No, I just did it right now.
Speaker 4: I just came from you know, from a retailer and I bought buy they on sale, and I just did it right now, and it didn't do it. I saw that it was available in what I did. I saw them movies that weren't four K on on iTunes, and I bought them in Blu Ray and I got the digital copies and it didn't and didn't up converted or remastered, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting, and that might be that that could be miguel because they don't want you doing that, and that could be a nice little a little trick that they're using now. I don't know, because it seems like it seems like it should be doing it no matter what. Because a lot of the movies, like even stuff I bought years ago still came in as four K, but it was already in my library. I have not tried putting it a code from a Blu Ray now since I got one and seeing if it comes through as four K. But it's an interesting point that you bring up, because I see what you're saying. You can save the money by buying the Blu Ray and even gifting that Blu Ray to someone if you wanted to, you know what I mean, and keep the digital copy, which is maybe they're just hip to that. So I don't know. That's a really good question. What I'll do is I will ask some friends at different places and see if they can come up with an answer to that and send me an email, and I'll see if I get a rich at KTLA dot com and I'll see if I can send you some more clarity on that. But it's interesting. So what Miguel's saying is that he basically bought the Blu Ray copy of a disc which is HD, he popped it into the redemption code in movies anywhere, and it should come up as four K on Apple TV, but it's not. So it's really interesting. I don't know. I haven't seen that happen with mine, because a lot of mine have come through in four K so, but I haven't redeemed a code lately. All Right, before we go, let me just tell you about one one app that I discovered that I really like. So if you're on Android and you are looking for a text messaging app, I really found one that I like. Now I switch phones more than the average person, so I'm always testing phones out. But and I kind of lose my text messages when I do that, because you know, I can sync them and I've backed them up, but it's kind of a pain. But this app is called Pulse SMS Pulse p U L s E SMS, and what it does is it backs up all of your messages onto their web cloud, you know, their cloud platform. And so I know on iPhone that's taken for granted, but on Android it's not. So it's getting better on Android, but it's still not there. But this app will do it for you across all your devices. And the cool thing is, I don't care about that part as much for the average person. I think for the average person, what you're gonna like the most is that you can access your same messages and type them on your computer. So all of the iPhone people they have I message it works on their phone, the same message comes to their desktop. Well, this one will do the same thing for you. And I discovered this last week and I'm absolutely obsessed with it because it's just so great. The app is clean, it looks really nice. It can replace your SMS app on your phone, and then you can access your messages everywhere, so you can access them on your computer. You can access them on various devices, so if you have, you know, a different phone or something like that, or maybe an iPad. It's not as pretty as on an iPad, but it'll still work. And the other cool thing this is the feature that I've loved and I hope that Apple adds this to the I. There's a feature called pinning, so you can pin your favorite conversations to the top of your text message list. And what's really cool about that is I pin like four conversations like my wife and a couple friends and a group I have And it's so cool because it takes me like a fraction of a second less to respond or to type a new message to them because I don't have to do anything. It's just right at the top of my list. And I love that feature, and I can't believe I've never seen that before. Pulse SMS also does a night mode, so if you're at night, it just automatically changes to a darker mode. You can have a delayed sending mode. Everything's encrypted, which is good. You can search all your messages, and you can schedule messages, so if you want to send something out, you can do that later. I'll take one more comment from the chat and then we'll close this up. Terry Miller says, hey, Richard me, I have an Apple five se and it wants to update to eleven point three. I'm afraid because last time I did an update, my phone had a lot of changes. I didn't like any suggestions. Thank you, sir, Terry. I think you already went through the big change of the iOS eleven, so at this point, point three is not going to make a big difference. I think it'll actually improve your device because they're always fixing bugs. If you were on iOS ten, I would have said maybe not do it, but since you're already on eleven, I would just go ahead and update your phone. All right, friends, that is gonna do it for this for this episode of rich On Tech Live. This is episode number two hundred and eleven. So eventually I'll put up some notes on the website. You'll be able to go to a rich on Tech dot tv Slash two eleven and you'll be able to see everything I talked about, get linked everything we talked about a lot in this show. And again, thanks so much for following me. Thanks so much for being here and watching the show. You can follow me on Facebook dot com, slash rich on Tech, Instagram, rich on Tech, and Twitter at rich DeMuro. If you can do me a favor, if you're listening to this podcast, or if you just want to be my friend, rate and review this in iTunes. That's that way more people discover this. And I know I get comments from you guys all the time. You say, rich thank you so much for helping me out. So I love doing this and I want more people to be able to tune in and more people to listen, and more people to share, because that's what it's all about. It's all about it's my full time job to learn about this stuff and share it with you guys. You don't have time to go through all these stories and figure out what's interesting. That's my job, and so I want the most amount of people to be able to listen in and hear what I have to say, so thanks so much for listening. Have a fantastic holiday, whatever you're celebrating, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, everything else that's out there. Seriously, have a great holiday, enjoy the time with your family, and I'll be here for you when you need me again. Probably not next week, but maybe after that, and then we'll talk again. But I'll be on Facebook and Twitter and all that good stuff, So thanks so much for joining me. I will see you guys next time. Bye bye.