Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final hour.
Speaker 2: In this Meet Friday, we'll talk to Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk, also Jason Garrett Football Night in America will stop by your phone. Calls are always welcome. Each seven to seven three DP show it is to Meet Friday. And in case you're wondering burgers and waffle fries, who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: All right, seet and pull question for the final hour of the program. And if you want to recap the first two hours of the program, that'd be great. Yeah, we got one up here.
Speaker 4: Now, Polly sent over NFL quarterbacks get too much credit or too much blame?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 4: That is a fifty one to forty nine split. Do you want to guess.
Speaker 2: Which one they get too much blame?
Speaker 4: Fifty one percent have them getting too much blame? Yes, too much blame. Does that mean that they those people will simply they don't get enough credit? Is that the flip side of that coin?
Speaker 1: Or No?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 5: I think so, yes, Paul, Based off this result, the quarterbacks getting the exact amount of blame and credit.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going to point out. Great point by you, Paul. They get too much blame and too much credit. And this bears that out. The poll question for the final hour. Yeah, we just put that one up about three minutes ago. Okay, yeah, and what about the poll questions the previous hours? Anything to recap there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, we have up there, Texans aside, if the Lions reached the Super Bowl, who should they want to play?
Speaker 2: Right now? They should want to play?
Speaker 4: At forty two point three percent of the vote, the Chiefs at forty two point one percent is the Bills. I'll tell you one thing. They don't want to play the Ravens. I'll tell you apparently not.
Speaker 2: Apparently not. But it's weird to say. Yeah, bring on, Patrick Mahomes. I know it feels like they've been vulnerable all season long, but they also win these games. Yeah, they're close games. They win these games. The number, the inordinate amount of games that are decided by seven points or less, it's at an all time high this season. You've got the one guy, you got, the fixer, you got the closer, you got Mariana Rivera enter Sandman, and that's the difference in these games. It can be one possession and oftentimes it is, and if I have the ultimate one possession guy, I don't want to face him. I want to see Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen do it and keep doing it at you know, whether the pressure is really on them. We've seen the pressure on Mahomes. He does really good when the pressure is on it. So I understand where you'd say that it feels like they're vulnerable, and they probably are, but Patrick Mahomes isn't vulnerable. Now. I would worry about the offensive line, as we saw when they played against Tampa a few years ago. When Patrick Mahomes has an ordinary line, he's ordinary and Tampa treated him that way. It doesn't happen very often, but it does feel like Kelsey is not Kelsey great Kelsey. He's good Kelsey, but he's another one of those big game game on the line. Six catches for ninety yards in a touchdown just feels like you can pencil that those kind of numbers in there, all right. Eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Sunday, the playoffs continue the divisional round. It'll be the Rams going to Philly to take on Saquanity Eagles the winner. One step away from the super Bowl. Coverage begins on NBC and Peacock at to Eastern. You can watch us on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to our radio affiliate's over four hundred around America. Mike Florio's book, it's an ebook and it's now just ninety nine cents on Amazon, Father of Mine, Son of Mine, and on our way home, and I'm guessing AJ Brown on the sidelines. That would be great product placement, Mike, if he's reading your book on the sidelines. This weekend, We're.
Speaker 6: Going to Philly and I'm taking it with me and I'm gonna sneak over to the bench. I'm gonna skirt past Big Dom. I've got Sims and Devin mccorty ready to create a diversion, and I'm gonna put it in the right spot and I'm hoping that we have that same jarring moment that we had.
Speaker 3: And I was watching the live and I'm like, what the hell He's got a book, and it was awesome.
Speaker 6: I always promote reading ninety nine cents. Can't find anything cheaper than that. Can't get this for ninety nine only the e book. You know, paper ain't free. But I want to get this in aj Brown's hands, and I'm taking it to Philly.
Speaker 3: It might get a little wet because it's going to snow now, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: What are you being told weatherwise? I know Kansas City will be cold. There's the chance for snow in Philadelphia, maybe in Buffalo as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: The thing about weather forecasts, and I don't mean to indict the entire industry, but it seems to me the only weather they ever get right is yesterday's. But at the same time, it's moving towards snow, and the temperature is gonna peak at thirty six degrees.
Speaker 3: This is your weather on the ones here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 6: It's gonna peak at thirty six and it's gonna gradually drop throughout the day. And then we have a nor'easter or something that's going to cause four to five inches of snow.
Speaker 3: Throughout the day.
Speaker 6: And it looks like the greatest chance of snow comes right about the time we'll be freezing our asses off on the sideline before the game and during the game. And remember that twenty thirteen Lions Eagles game in Philly. Matthew Stafford was the quarterback of the Lions. Then he's been through it. The rest of the team has not been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we were talking to David Carr and he said, cold is what affects you. He said, you know, if it snows, you're okay with that. Wind is that's the big thing, if you know, if it's windy in these conditions here. And I was just talking about I kind of stumbled on this last hour where I said to David Carr, it feels like the Lions have pressure on them than anybody else, including the team trying to threepete in the Kansas City Chiefs. You're gonna lose your coordinators. Probably you had your opportunity last year. These windows close and it just feels like they have the spotlight on them shining a little brighter than anybody else.
Speaker 6: Your thoughts, yo, when you talk about yourself as a team of destiny, that just amps it up even more. Now you're coming in as eight and a half point favorites against a team that feels more If you watch the outcomes of some of these Commander's games, it feels like destiny is on their side, not your side. And the challenge I think for Dan Campbell and the Lions because they've crafted this identity and being aggressive and going for it, and that's who we are.
Speaker 3: You don't even wonder anymore when it's fourth and anything less than five.
Speaker 6: But man, when you get into single elimination, you have to wonder, are there moments where you should set aside who you are and work the circumstances toward winning the game. I go back to the NFC Championship. They're up seventeen at the half, the forty nine Ers get a field goal to cut.
Speaker 3: It to fourteen.
Speaker 6: On the first drive of the third quarter, they get in position to put it back to a three score game and really put the clamps on the forty nine ers, But they went for it because that's what we always do, and that's fine as long as it works. When it doesn't work, it opened the door for the comeback and they came back and they knocked out the lines. Will Dan Campbell pivot from the nature of the team in the right moment to preserve a win? And when you're talking about a team like the Commanders that thrives on close games, it introduces even more risk if you are caught in this idea of do we go for the kill here or do we play it conservatively? And maybe with the commanders you could make the argument it is the smart thing to do to go for a knockout whenever you can get one.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Mike Florio Pro Football Talk. You can see that show preceding hours on Peacock. Why is the coaching carousel slowed down.
Speaker 6: Because there's only two guys who were no brainers going into it, Mike Vrabel and Ben Johnson.
Speaker 3: Now with Ben Johnson, the question.
Speaker 6: Is is there a spot where he is willing to go and give up this opportunity to be part of an emerging juggernaut in Detroit. And also, not every guy wants to be the guy at the front of the room. I've heard that Ben Johnson relishes his current role as mad scientists, coming up with all these trick plays, running the offense and not dealing with the pressure of being the head coach. Look at what Dan Campbell has to deal with. I mean, he got docksed. They had people show up at his house. When you're the offensive coordinator, that doesn't happen when you're the head coach. That happens, and alignment has been the word most associated with Ben Johnson. He wants alignment with the front office. So you look at some of these jobs where there's a GM that maybe isn't going to be as aligned, and then you look at the Raiders where two days after they fired the head coach, they cleared out the GM. The alignment is more likely going to be in Vegas if he chooses that job, And all indications when you talk to people around the league are the Raiders really won question is does he want to leave the Lions for anyone, specifically a Raiders team that needs a lot of help to become a contender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wondered about this that does he stay. I don't know how many assistant coaches, Mike and you probably have a better handle on this. Coordinators who realize that they aren't head coaches or that maybe they don't want to be head coaches. And I'm just throwing that out there. I don't have any numbers to back that up. It feels like that's the natural progression. But yeah, as I've said many times, the audience is tired of hearing it. Not every coordinator is meant to be a head coach.
Speaker 6: Well, the other thing too, Dan, When you're a coordinator in the window opens for you to be a head coach, some guys feel like they'd better jump through it now because it might close by next year. Johnson has the confidence, and it's backed up by having a great team on the field that he's working with that the window is going to stay open, so I don't have to go this year.
Speaker 3: He didn't go last year. You'll wait for the right spot.
Speaker 6: The problem is these jobs rarely come open because the team looking for a coach is a properly functioning NFL franchise. Every team, unless you have a retirement when the guy walks away and the team's on top, every team that's looking for a coach is a bad team that is trying to find a way to get better. So you go into a dysfunctional situation. Two or three years later, you get fired, you have that scarlet letter on your coaching resume, and then.
Speaker 3: You go back to being a coordinator.
Speaker 6: I think Johnson understands that and it makes him reluctant to just take whatever comes along. There's a lot of factors that go into it, but number one is alignment, and if he doesn't have the alignment. He's not leaving, and I think this year, when you look at the jobs out there, you look at the teams that have interviewed him, like the Jets are at least sufficiently self aware to not even bother to try to interview Ben Johnson, right, So I give them credit there.
Speaker 3: They know what they are.
Speaker 6: But I think it's the Raiders or Lions take that Raider's job or stay put for Ben Johnson.
Speaker 2: Favorite player, Aaron Rodgers. Not sure if he's going to play again next year, but I saw where the Vegas odds the favorites the Vegas football team. Your thoughts on Tom Brady bringing in Aaron Rodgers for a year, Well, it.
Speaker 6: Makes sense depending upon who they ultimately hire as GM and head coach. I think he's not going to be back with the Jets. I think he wants the Jets to be the ones to end it.
Speaker 3: But I don't think he.
Speaker 6: Wants to go back to the Jets after the last two years. When you consider your ultimate football legacy, nothing's going to take away what he did in Green Bay.
Speaker 3: But I think any.
Speaker 6: Competitor wants the last memory of you to be something other than what it's been with the Jets the last two years, and for him, where's my spot where I can do what I thought I was going to do with the Jets? And I don't know that the Raiders are in. When you're looking at the Chiefs and here are the Broncos who are ready to make a push, and the Chargers with Jim Harbaugh, it's going to be very difficult for the Raiders as long as there is that division competing with those three teams. So that would be the one downside if you're Rogers. Yeah, hey, it makes sense. I know, Brady, Hey, they need a quarterback, you know, Las Vegas whatever, proximity to where he lives in the offseason. But is it really a spot where you're gonna have a chance to compete for a postseason berth and ultimately a championship.
Speaker 2: How real is the Deonda Dallas story in your opinion?
Speaker 6: Well, I think it was a master stroke of publicity and attention. They drop it that Deonna talked to Jerry Jones during the Rams Vikings playoffs game. They know what they're doing and there's a lot of that Carnival Barker and Jerry Jones. But I just don't see it happening under the current circumstances. And now Deon's a guy who said a year ago he'd never coached in the NFL. Then he says, I'd only coach my sons. Well, Shadur's not going to be the quarterback of the Cowboys next year. He may not be the quarterback of the Cowboys for a long time to come because of Dak Prescott's contract. So I don't see it making sense. But how many things do the Cowboys do that make sense? And at the end of the day, who are they going to hire? And here's the problem with doing the Hey we're gonna talk to dian and Hey we're going to talk to this guy, and hey we're gonna talk about Bill Belichick, and our new coach is Kellen Moore. It's kind of a letdown, all due respect to Kevin Moore at the end of Kellen Moore at the end of the day, if that's where it goes. But I think a lot of people are thinking it's going to be Kellen Moore when it's.
Speaker 3: All said and done.
Speaker 6: With this weird possibility that Jason Witten could make the jump from high school football coach to Cowboys coach, because there are people who think one of these days is going to be the head coach of the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: It just might not be now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he made that jump to broadcasting and that didn't go well for Jason Witten. I would think it would be a tough a tougher jump from high school football to coaching the Cowboys. See, Oh my god, you're right.
Speaker 3: Here, right Dan, It's not real. I mean, is it really a coveted job? Is it really?
Speaker 6: When you go to Dallas, you have to accept the fact that Jerry's the one who's shopping for the groceries, that Jerry's going to do two radio spots that are going to make headlines during the season, that he's going to do a postgame media scrum that's going to outshine your postgame press conference.
Speaker 3: You've got to be ready to deal with that if you're a head.
Speaker 6: Coach, and a lot of these guys who want to be the head coach don't want Jerry Jones to be the face and voice of the team.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think being the coach of the Cowboys means as much as it once did thirty years ago. I still think being the quarterback of the Cowboys still means an awful lot. But that's the problem I have with this job. No matter who takes the job, you've got a thirty two year old, injury prone, immobile quarterback who's making who's owed over two hundred and thirty million dollars guaranteed. That's not something I want to walk into.
Speaker 6: Cowboys have done a great job drafting and developing. They have made numerous mistakes figuring out what to do with their young players when it's time to pay them. They've paid the wrong guys like Michael Gallup. They've not paid or waited too long to pay the right guys, which paints them into a corner. They did that twice with Dak Prescott. They did that Dak Prescott current contract sixty million a year with all that guaranteed money, on the morning of the regular season opener, because they knew, we need to do this or he's going to.
Speaker 3: Walk away as a free agent.
Speaker 6: And in hindsight, plenty of Cowboys fans would say we should have let him play it out and start from scratch at the quarterback position. But they have just mishandled the negotiations. They wait too long, They lobe all the players, and then they come around and cry, uncle, it's just not a good way to build a sustainable, successful franchise.
Speaker 2: Let me look at a couple of resumes here before I let you go. If I said Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy, who are Hall of famers right now?
Speaker 6: And I saw a tweet earlier in the week from the guy at ESPN who goes by HIMBO that McCarthy needs a better publicist because McCarthy has a better track record than Peyton and Tomlin when you look at some of the big picture things, I think that Tomlin right now, given the eighteen years in Pittsburgh, given that it's the Steelers, two super Bowl pace pearances, consistent contender, never had a losing season, I think Tomlin is the guy who walks right in. But you know Peyton and MacArthur are going to have strong cases. But then there's a logjam. There's plenty of coaches who deserve to be in who haven't gotten in, and they always change the rules a little bit, and you never quite know what the standard is, or what the process is, or whether coaches are competing with other players are competing with owners or they have their own lane. It's hard for guys who deserve to be in to get in, like a Mike Holmgren and a Mike Shanahan. So the coaches of today are going to be caught behind that.
Speaker 3: But I think Tomlin is the one.
Speaker 6: Eighteen years, no losing seasons, two Super Bowl appearances, playoff appearances.
Speaker 3: I think Tomlin is the one of the three that's the most likely to get in.
Speaker 2: Safe travels to Philadelphia. Play nice there, Mike, Well.
Speaker 6: I'm not the one that needs to be told to play nice. I gotta worry about the fans. Rodney Harrison's gonna throw snowballs at me. It's going to be a challenging day.
Speaker 3: I might wear a helmet.
Speaker 2: He's Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk Live co host and he'll be there with NBC Football Night in America. His book All of his books available on ebook Novels and just ninety nine cents on Amazon, Father Mind, Son of Mine, and on our way home, We'll take a break. Jason Garrett said to join us next year on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together. We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 3: So check us out.
Speaker 7: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls coming up eight seven, seven and three DP show update the poll results here in a moment as we catch up with Jason Garrett and NBC Football Night in America will be on the road Sunday at two eastern in Philadelphia. It'll be the divisional game between the Rams and Eagles. Kickoff will be at three eastern on NBC and Peacock. By the way, Jason, this summer was a busy guy. He was working with NFL Films and in May he was with Troy Aikman and Dak Prescott. He then traveled to San Diego he was with Drew Brees, North Turner, and then the legendary quarterback coach Tom House. Went to Phoenix he worked with Kurt Warner. He also was therefore Aaron Rodgers and in Buffalo with Josh aut So what was he doing with all of these great offensive minds, all of these quarterbacks and what he did is available on YouTube. Jason joins us, Now, so give us this synopsis of what you were trying to accomplish or did accomplish with your summer project here. Yeah.
Speaker 9: You know, a couple of years ago, I was up in training camp visiting the Packers and Matt Lafour was great. I spent the whole day with him, a setn meetings, and at the end of the day we're finishing out the quarterback meeting. And you know, I used to always tell our players in Dallas that if you get a chance to be around greatness, don't ask guys about their house or their car or their boat, right ask him about why they're great. And so I'm sitting next to Aaron Rodgers and I said, I'm going to take my own advice here. And I just turned to him and said, hey, just before I leave, just give me one thought. I'm throwing one of the best throwers of his generation, one of the best of all time. And I've known him for a long time. My first year coaching was in Miami for Nick Saban and it was two thousand and five, the year that Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers were coming out. We had the second pick in the draft, so spent a lot of time with him then and coached him in the Pro Bowl and competed against him. And he's always been very generous with me, and so he jumps up out of the seat and he says, all I think about when I throw is getting the way to the inside of my left ankle, the inside of my left half, and the inside of my left knee. And I'm like, like, what are you talking about. I've never heard anybody talk about that, And so it struck me. I'm flying home that night and I had a throwing sequence of Joe Namath on my wall when I was growing up. It was eight throws from his book The Classic A Matter of Style. I don't know if you remember that, but it was just incredible, and so I had this image of name it in my mind. But bu buh buh buh buh buh buck talking about throwing. That's that's how I envisioned the perfect throwing motion. And here's Aaron Rodgers fifty years later talking about the inside of his left ankle, like what are we talking about here? So what it struck me that the best thrower then throw it one way. The best thrower now throws it another way, and the evolution of the throwing motion it's different. And so I asked a few people about it, and they kind of agreed with me, and I said, I want to talk to the principal guys. I want to talk to the guys who are actually throwing the ball. And so I got with Troy and Dak and then they kind of grew to a chance to talk to Drew Brees and Tom House and Norv and everybody from there, and eventually would talk to Aaron and Josh Allen. And what we found out is it has evolved that the great throwers back then could really throw the ball. You go back and look at the tape of Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw and those guys. They could throw the heck out of the ball, Marino, Elway, Aikman, all these guys, but they do it differently than the guys are throwing it today. And so we just did an examination of it. We did it with NFL films, and NFL films, as we all know, is one of the great entities of all times. So it was a really fun project to do.
Speaker 2: But also this is the evolution of the golf swing. They're hitting it further, they're using the ground getting kind of leveraged with that. With baseball, we're seeing pictures throw, you know, more pictures throwing faster than ever can can. Are these quarterbacks throwing the ball faster like that is that important? Or is it the quickness of the release that's more important.
Speaker 9: Well, one thing that you know part of this project is we're going to try to go deeper on this. It was a twenty two minute segment NFL Films Presents, and one of my pangs when we finished it was we probably use less than one percent of the content for each of the guys. Troy Aikman talked about it for over an hour, Drew Brees hour and a half. I mean, we had so much great stuff and you have to try to fit it in into this little window. So I think you can go a lot deeper on all this. And one of the great takeaways is all these rotational athletes do things with the same principles of physics. And you said it, it's ground force, it's rotation, it's lag. You know this concept of lag where you're opening your hips and you're keeping your upper body closed and you're kind of cork screwing and then it all whipping together. That's not something we talked a ton about when I was growing up throwing a football. It was more about showld, the rotation, it's all coming together, and so I think these guys are more into that. And a big part of this is the game has changed. When you think about name It, we go back and we see these pictures of name It. He's literally taking a thirteen step drop, He's fifteen yards behind the line of scrimmage, rifling these balls down the field. And you know, some people say name when I completed fifty percent of his pass as he threw more interception than touchdowns. Well, the game was completely different back then. Bubble screens and rocket screens and get it out of your hand and all that kind of stuff. That's not what the game was. So these guys were bigger, stronger, like rifling it down the field. Now it's more like shortstop the second base. We're getting the ball out of our hand a lot. So how do you generate hower with using ground force and rotation and have these quicker, little Derek Jeter type throws in the middle of the infield. I think the game has become a lot of that, and these guys are awfully good at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's available on YouTube. It's nerdtastic, Like you'll nerd out if you're into this stuff and Jason sent it to me, and I'm like, this is great. You did a great job. Jason will be in Philadelphia. It's the Rams and the Eagles coming up on Sunday. There's always a surprise divisional round weekend. Give me this surprise.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's a prize this weekend. I really don't. I think Kansas City wins as great as Houston was last week. You know, we had the show on Sunday night and we had these gigantic pictures of Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, and Travis Kelsey behind us, and I just turned around and said, first ballot, first ballot, first ballot, and they're playing at home. I think it's hard for Houston, as great as they played last week, to go up there and beat them, I really do. I think it'll be hard for Washington to go into Detroit to win as great as Jayden Daniels was last week. I think it's gonna be hard for the Rams to go to Philly and win. And then the one that I think everybody's waiting for is Josh against Lamar, and I think that's a pick him anyway. So I don't see any big surprises. I think we's have four great games.
Speaker 2: You got to take Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 3: How you taking?
Speaker 9: Every time I'm on this show, you're asking me these kinds of questions. Uh, gun to my head, I'd take Josh Allen, but I think Lamar Jackson's one of the most amazing players I've ever seen in my life, so it's hard for me to argue against him. Two time MVP, he'll probably be a third MVP, and he's revolutionized the quarterback position.
Speaker 2: But well, I thought Josh Allen was the MVP this year, even Lamar had the stats. Last year, Josh had the stats, didn't win. So I like, it's a fluid philosophy or criteria for voting for MVP, and I think that's where I go. Okay, I didn't expect Buffalo to be this good. Now, granted they were in a bad division, but I looked at them as an underdog, and I thought I'd actually seen Josh Allen become a great quarterback this year where he didn't force it. He didn't put on the Superman cape as much as he likes to, and it felt like that was a true team effort. So MVP for a team, I would give it to him. I thought Derrick Henry is a great security blanket. Now, I did have somebody, a coach who said the following. You keep talking about how you know Derrick Henry helped Lamar Jackson. Did you ever think Lamar Jackson helped out Derrick Henry as well? Because what he was in Tennessee, anybody could have had him. Nobody wanted him. They take him and he rushes for nearly two thousand yards. So a long winded way of saying, I would take Josh. There's no wrong answer in this.
Speaker 9: Yeah. The trickiest thing for me is I was fortunate to be on those great teams with the Cowboys in the nineties, and one of the things I learned was everyone benefited from each other. Troy Aikman made Emmitt Smith better. Emma Smith made Troy Aikman better. Emmitt Smith made the receivers better. The line made Emmitt better. Emmitt made the line better. They made the defense better, you know. And so that's that's when when you're a great team, that's what happens. And sometimes you say each of the guys, their candidacy for something like MVP gets diminished. Because hey, he's got Derrick Henry well, yeah, you know, and and fair or unfair, but that's what teams are. You know, Magic and Kareem played together. You know, Burd McHale played together. I mean, Jordan and Pippin played together. I mean, if you want to be a great championship team, you have to have good players around you. And so I don't think we should diminish Lamar, but it certainly is an advantage for Lamar to have Big twenty two behind him.
Speaker 2: Jason Garrett, NBC Football Night in America, former Cowboys head coach, what advice would you give Dion Sanders about taking the Cowboys job if offered.
Speaker 9: If he wants to do it, he should take it. He's done an amazing job at Colorado. I think he's changing college football in some ways and he's impacting a ton of lives. But if he feels compelled to dive into it, dive into it. He and Jerry have a long relationship and.
Speaker 2: They need to know though, Jason, about Jerry the owner, don the coach, that's different than that owner and that player. So this is different. This is day to day, week to week, game to game, and that's a whole different game.
Speaker 9: No doubt. But I bring that up just because that relationship matters. I think Dion knows Jerry. Jerry knows Dion, and I think they can have the kind of conversations you need to have between owner slash general manager and head coach. You got to be able to be honest and to direct with each other. And when you're the head coach in that situation, sometimes things don't go your way. Sometimes you want to do something u and the owner in general manager wants to do something else. And that's part of the deal. Everybody's got a boss, right, So I do think they can be honest with each other. I don't think they'll be walking on it bashells around each other. I think they value their relationship and I think they can be direct with each other. I think that benefits that situation. So my encouragement to him would be, tell Jerry what you think it might not go your way, tell him what you think he needs to know. What you think about this player, this coach, this philosophy, what we're doing on offense defense, And then if it becomes something where you have to get into it you have a disagreement, hopefully you can rely on that relationship. You've had to work your way through it, and I think that's an important thing.
Speaker 2: Just feels like they're two CEOs though, Jason.
Speaker 9: Well, if you think about what the what the position of head coach is, there's a lot of great coordinators on offense and defense who go become head coaches and they're not real good at it because maybe they don't fully understand that being a head coach is a leadership position first and foremost, and there has to be layers of leadership in an organization. It's multi tiered leadership, and so it's owner and general manager, but then it's head coach, and then it's coordinators, it's quarterback, all of that. So I don't know that because both of them have leadership CEO type skills, I don't know that it has to be combative. It can be layered, and I think that's an important piece of this. Hopefully they don't step over each other, and hopefully the big CEO gives the next CEO a chance to put his imprint on the team, because I think that's an important part of it.
Speaker 2: But what was it like when Jerry's holding his own press conference?
Speaker 9: Sometimes it could be challenging because, as you know, media people.
Speaker 2: It's a fun word there, challenging.
Speaker 9: Media people love to find the wedge and so sometimes, you know, Jerry would say something and I think the people who were covering our team knew that probably that wasn't something that I agreed with, and they say, hey, Jerry said this, what do you think about that? So you had to deal with that. But you know, it comes with the dinner. As Troy used to say, you just figure it out and you can't let you can't let those things detract from what you're trying to build. Sometimes you'd wish they weren't there, you didn't have to deal with those distractions. There's a lot of attention on that team anyway, so why we you know, and fuel to the fire. But you know, again, it's part of it and you'll work your way through it.
Speaker 2: I asked Tim Callishaw. If I said to Jerry Jones, you can't hold can't have a radio show, can't do any interviews for the next five years, but you're I'm going to guarantee you as Super Bowl, would Jerry be able to go without being interviewed do his radio shows? If I said you're going to win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: Again. I just don't think I just don't think he wants to give that up. Asked me the other day, you know, do you go in there and do you try to do you try to change Jared Jones. I said, he's eighty two years old. You're not changing him. This is what he wants to do. He took a lot of risk in his life. He made a lot of money. He'll tell you the story about how he bought the Dallas Cowboys, a risky endeavor and with that risk comes a lot of reward and a lot of freedom. And part of it is he feels like he wants to be the lead voice of the organization. And I don't see him giving that up anytime soon.
Speaker 2: That's for sure. You'll find Jason Garrett this video. I don't even know how to describe it, but it's on YouTube. And if you love sort of the evolution of the quarterback and throwing and hearing from all these Hall of famers, it's really great. It's nerdtastic, as I've come up with that word. And Jason will be on the road. It'll be Football Night in America in the afternoon on Sunday. They started two o'clock with the Rams and the Eagles save travels. Thanks for joining us, Yeah, thanks, Dan.
Speaker 9: Always enjoy it that.
Speaker 2: Jason Garrett, there's always one of those questions. I have to ask Jason where he goes. You always do this to me every time I come on. Yep, And if I was on Football Night in America still I would do that too. For a national TV audience, yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: But so many people speculate on coaching the Cowboys and what it's like day to day. This guy for a long time, did it. I mean it's I can't imagine the juggle of when you go to the podium and the owner. It's just spoken.
Speaker 2: You don't know what he says, like, wait a minute, what does he do? All Right? When we come back, if you're watching on Peacock Burgers and Waffle Fries, we will close up shop. This day in sports history, last call for phone calls. All of that coming up next here Dan Patrick's Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Get your voice ready, Marvin, here we go.
Speaker 10: Ever since I was a tiny bar, no one, no condy, I don't mean it's us.
Speaker 2: Yeah two three four uh. The man named after Marvin Gay. Thank you for the accompaniment there, Marvin. All right, last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store? On Monday, Hall of Famer Steve Young will be back to dissect everything that happened over the weekend. Eight seven seven three DP show stat of the Day was brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Oh we got breaking news slash good breaking news. You ready Yes.
Speaker 5: For the first time in almost two years, Dick Vitel will return on air at ESPN for the Duke Wake Forest game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome baby, awesome baby.
Speaker 1: That's awesome baby.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd, thank you. That's great. That's great. Been a long, long, long haul here for Dicky V. But this is what he lives for.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: We talk about coaches who want to coach until they die. Dicky V wants to broadcast until he dies. That's what he does. He loves basketball, He loves the environment, the students, the coaches, everything about that. He is college basketball and has been for close to forty years. Yes, Marvin, who's the.
Speaker 10: Dick Vitell of other sports where they're so passionate about a sport you could just see oozes out of them.
Speaker 2: Well you don't, I mean, Dicky V's unique, don't. I don't know if there is. John Madden was kind of that. But but you know, John was a really successful coach. Dicky V was not a successful coach, and he coached a little bit in the NBA and then in college as well.
Speaker 10: Yes, Mart, well maybe not in terms of enthusiasm, but the way they spoke about the game, even if they were even kill emotionally, you could tell this do list for this game.
Speaker 2: I once again, I don't know if there's anybody that passionate about their sport than Dickie V. But but Dicky V got to broadcast like he was different than anybody else. He did it in a way that was different than anybody else. And I don't know nobody's going to try to emulate that. I mean, you'd be crazy to go I'm going to be the Dicky V of NFL or college football. That just that that would be almost impossible. By the way, I got a random stat of Rando here, most fifty point games allowed since the start of the twenty twenty season in the NBA, You guys want to guess the team that has allowed the most fifty point games since twenty nineteen twenty one.
Speaker 5: Yes, Pauly, it feels wizard ise, you know, a little wizard. It is the Wizards of Waverley the job. Yeah, they have allowed ten fifty point scores over that period. The Pacers are next, Hawks and Spurs after that. And in case you're wondering, ooh boy, let me see, is there one in here?
Speaker 2: Now? These are all pretty good names there that scored fifty against the Wizards. Let's see the Pacers. I'm trying to think if there's any, um, well, here's one. The Hawks. Steph Curry did it twice, Luca did it once, Kevin Durant, Zach Levine, Klay Thompson. And who is the other player to get at least fifty against the Hawks over this time frame. I don't even what team he plays on. I don't even know if I pronounced his first name correct. Mala Malachi Flynn.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he didn't know that, Malauchey Flynn. Yeah, I don't know why. That kind of caught my eye here and just random, Andy, and Rhode Island is back.
Speaker 2: Hi, Andy, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Kay?
Speaker 12: Damn woman's cross wap?
Speaker 7: Oh hello.
Speaker 2: Andy?
Speaker 12: Oh sorry, guys, guys, I'm crossing the streets.
Speaker 2: Somebody just flew past his cross wap.
Speaker 12: I'm sorry, So let me get this together.
Speaker 9: Guys.
Speaker 12: I was thinking, you guys have a most valuable Dannette, you have a least valuable Dannet. But what happened to the most underrated Dannet?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 12: You know, I've been thinking really hard about it, and you know, I feel that there would be some good contended for it. And also, what would the optics be on Princey if he showed up having a rough day and he just started reading a book in the middle of the show, what would office.
Speaker 9: Be on that?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 2: No, that Aj Brown had a good game, so it wasn't like if Fritzy showed up and was having a great show, then you know he would be he could he could be reading a book.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just don't pay attention sometimes I'm not reading a book. Eleven, Yes, Mark, get out of my head. The irony is what number does Aj Brown wear?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 2: Eleven full circle. This day in sports history, Paul just one.
Speaker 5: Nineteen sixty three, Wilt Chamberlain of the San Francisco Warriors score sixty seven points against the LA Lakers.
Speaker 2: Nineteen fifty one, two Manhattan College basketball players three book makers arrested for conspiring to fix basketball games. Ultimately saw thirty two players from seven different schools arrested for point shaving. Of course, that couldn't happen nowadays, could it. Let's see, Todd, would you learn today? Shake Gilders Alexander is a nickname.
Speaker 6: SGA is simply his initials because it's too hard to say his full name.
Speaker 2: Seet no counter SGA.
Speaker 4: Nicknames are pretty tricky to come by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Todd came up with the kids. I like it. Marvin Lawyer is going to wear a helmet in Philly.
Speaker 5: Paul, it's all our time.
Speaker 2: It is speed up your hiring process. Express employment professionals reduced time to hire, cut costs, and find the right talent for connecting full time roles. Visit expresspros dot com today, transform your transform your hiring process. Have a great weekend, a safe weekend. We'll look forward to talking to you on Monday.