Speaker 1: Scotty Kurtie b hit me because boy, oh boy, I need a laugh and laugh and laugh.
Speaker 2: I thought about doing something funny, right, having a headline that's funny, That's a classic Banana's way to start an episode. But I can't because I'm so obsessed with this man and there's nothing there's nothing funny about this until we get into the details. But I am gonna tell you all about Adolph Sachs, the inventor of the saxophone.
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want a whole podcast, like a multi serious episode podcast about this man. He is amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's time to toot our own horns, because this is gonna be just an instrumental to your life episode of the bananas Pot Cast.
Speaker 3: Would you Billiant Pieces, Birthday, John Bananasa.
Speaker 2: Guys, Goals, non binary pals, Welcome to Bananas. I am kurb Brown Older.
Speaker 1: I am Banana Boy number two. Scotti landis you know for the next fifty one minutes, don't worry about the world, don't worry about anything except having a great time for fifty minutes and thirty seconds with the Banana Boys. We're here to ease you through the cruel existence that we're currently experiencing.
Speaker 2: I am so excited just to be here in a solo with you. We haven't done one in a very long time. We just had a slew of guests.
Speaker 1: We a great guess, all wonderful, each better than the last, and thank you, and keep a recommending guests to us too. You'd be surprised we reach out to pretty much all of them. People are very busy, they have their own lives, they have certain windows of time where they can record things, and there are a lot of people are very bad at emailing, so and.
Speaker 2: A lot of people hear the name of the podcast and think that sounds dumb, and we're like, no, no, it's dumb on purpose.
Speaker 1: That's right, We're dumb on purpose. Speaking of which, Kurtie B and I have a show in Phoenix on March twenty ninth at three pm that Stand Up Live, which is a very fun place to perform.
Speaker 2: Huge, Huge Phoenix. You gotta show up because this place is gigantic. If we don't have it at least three quarters full, it's going to feel like an empty cavern.
Speaker 1: Well I'm going hard either way, and remember to bring an idea.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be drinking. Then you're gonna be dripping back right.
Speaker 1: Off the wagon, I think. So it's been a it's been a fun adventure. But it'll be fun to have a couple of daytime BEVs with the ban animals.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, bring your confessions. We put a confessions box out in the lobby, so when you come in, there'll be a box that literally says Banana's Confessions on it. We'll have index cards. Right, you're steaming hot but true confessions and be a part of the Bananas Live Show.
Speaker 2: And Cincinnati, Cincinnati. I have never been to Cincinnati in my entire life. I realized that when I had to Google, when I had to look at it spelling five times and be like, that's out spelled. Is that really how Cincinnati is spelled? So I will be at the Commonwealth Sanctuary, which is actually in Kentucky, but I guess I didn't even know this. Cincinnati is part borders Kentucky as well. Sure, so it's right over the river, I'm assuming, and it's gonna be a great show. And that's May ninth, so I'm just focusing on that one. Of course, there's Chicago, there's Asbury Park, too, but May ninth, Cincinnati. Come on, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on Ohio show, CURTI be you care. So then the Banana Boys can follow suit and do an Ohio show in twenty twenty five. Yeah, oh man, it's eighty degrees today.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't. I don't trust it, Scottie, I don't trust a February eighty degree day. It makes me slightly uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. But I think after we record this, you know, once in a lifetime very special episode of Bananas, I'll probably take a long walk, like I'm talking like a three hour just wander. Oh, look at foliage. Wait, I like that fauna. It's gonna be nice.
Speaker 2: I have my I I think I maybe I'm gonna try and just blast some quads. I'm gonna work out after this. But my I'm I've been so stressed. The past ten days have been the most stressful ten days, and like the last like it's just basically like last week and the week I was traveling NonStop. I took you were I took five flights in six days, so that I had one day that I didn't fly out of like a whole week almost and then immediately came back and we had to put together this pitch in three days two and a half days. And we put a whole pitch together in two and a half days, Lauren and I and then I'm very happy.
Speaker 1: With it, you know.
Speaker 2: But you know, I feel like it's par for the course for Scotty putting a pitch together in two and a half days.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I don't have anything going on. You have a very full and complicated life. Also, happy birthday. You were on the road for your birthday.
Speaker 2: But first time looked really nice. First time on the road for my birthday. Oh, actually, I think in like thirteen years I was on the road in Minneapolis for my birthday, maybe in like two thousand and twelve or something. But first time on the road for a long time, and first time since I probably was seventeen or eighteen that I wasn't drinking on my birthday.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you did get a cake and you did do two big ass shows.
Speaker 2: Where were you York or toront I was into Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Vancouver Ooh nice? Yeah, coud You and I hung out in Oakland and had a wonderful time. You were so funny that theater was gorge that Oakland.
Speaker 2: My goodness, God, damn Oakland killed theater. Comeil killed New Hours great?
Speaker 1: Right, New Hours great? Molly and I drove up. Did you really not know I was coming up?
Speaker 2: I mean no, I didn't. No, I didn't know at all. No, Kumel. When I got there was like, uh, Molly and scotty'll be here soon.
Speaker 1: I was like, what do you what? Yeah, we drove up. We did a little road trip and uh, it was wonderful. Oakland was great. There. There was a very nice woman named Sharene who brought Comeil Pakistani food from across the street. And it's the only food I ate that day. Looking back, I woke up the next morning, I was like, all I had was that delicious Pakistani food, So thank you?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? That's all you ate all day long?
Speaker 1: Did you drop?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: We just kept we were hauling, but to get up there, to make sure we were there ahead of the show and check our hotel and get there. It's fun.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm happy you were there.
Speaker 1: It was great. I was lovely to see you kill it in front of so many lovely people. I'm sure there have been animals in that crowd.
Speaker 2: Here's Adolph Sachs, Dude, this is I mean, I got this off of the depths of Wikipedia, which is an Instagram page you should often follow heavy, but don't even follow it because I get too many stories off of it.
Speaker 1: It's so great.
Speaker 2: This is just I'm just going to be reading this man's Wikipedia page to you, okay. And it is so it's so filled with amazing things, all right. So Antoine Joseph Adolph was I guess his nickname sas. He was a Frenchman. He lived from eighteen fourteen to eighteen ninety four. I guess, sorry, he wasn't French. He was a Belgian inventor and musician. He invented the saxophone in the early eighteen forties. Early life. He was born eighteen fourteen in what is now Belgium. His parents were, I'm gonna, you know, jump aside.
Speaker 1: Long ago for the saxophone. I would have guessed it was from the fourteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: Agreed, agreed, well, the saxophone. I don't know. I feel like the saxophone feels like a more modern instrument, but you couldn't exactly I couldn't exactly put my finger on why maybe only because it's like in Lady in Red.
Speaker 1: Maybe because it's in Lady in the Red, Lady in Red, that Lady in Red? Is it even in that? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Here it is so he was His parents were instrument makers, which is awesome in the fact that there are no more instrument makers people inventing instruments. Like I feel like we got all the instruments and now we're just playing with them, you know, and the only the only things that are getting invented are like some insane like I taught this plant to play a synthesizer, you know, like that sort of instrument.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it sounds like that the whole time. So here it is Sacks. This is little baby Sacks. Sacks. It's funny to call him Sacks too. I mean, Sacks faced many brushes with death. This is second paragraph, the second paragraph of this man's life. Right as a child, he once fell from a height of three floors, hit his head on a stone, and was believed dead. At the age of three, he drank a bowl full of acidic water, mistaking it for milk, and later swallowed a pin. He received serious burns from a gunpowder explosion and once fell into a hot cast iron frying pan, burning his side go. Several times he avoided accidental poisoning and asphyxiation from sleeping in a room where varnish furniture was drying. Another time, young Sacks was struck on the head by a cobblestone and fell into a river, almost dying. If you are wondering what it takes, if you're wondering if you have what it takes to invent the saxophone, this is what you need to go through. You need to almost die eight times before the age of eleven. All right, Yes, his mother once said that quote, He's a child condemned to misfortune. He won't live. Whoa wow to have that in print, that means she said it to someone. Of note, that wasn't just something she said to nobody.
Speaker 1: And also think of medicine back then, in like hospitalists, probably just some country doctor just kept getting called to have to like the boy who wouldn't die, and they're like, here you go patch him up.
Speaker 2: His mother Okay, so his neighbors called him little Sax the ghost. So after leaving the Royal Conservatory of Brussels, sax Beyond experiment with new instrument designs while his parents continued their business of making conventional instruments. Sacks first important invent was an improvement in the bass clarinet. Then he began working on valved bugles and paris in eighteen forty two. Of course it's a classic. It's a classic lateral valve fugle move. While he did not invent the systrument, his examples were much more successful than those of his rivals and became known as sax horns. Hector Billios was enamored of these blah blah blah. Then he invented something called a fugal horn. Today, sax horns are sometimes used in concert bands, that's interesting, marching bands and orchestras. The sax horn also laid the groundwork for the more modern euphonium.
Speaker 1: I know about that one, I did not.
Speaker 2: The sax also developed the saxotromba family of valved brass instruments with narrower bore than the sax horns in eighteen forty five, but they only survived briefly. Just like him as a child, the use of sax horns spread rapidly. The sax horn valves were accepted as state of the art in their time and remain largely unchanged today. That's pretty surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah bah bah. In the period around eighteen forty he invented the clarinet boudon, which is the old the contrabass contra bass clarinet.
Speaker 1: Is what we call it now, sure it all the time.
Speaker 2: And then in eighteen forty six, Sacks of designed saxophones, ranging from the soprano to the subcontrabass, although not all were built, so he designed them. So he made the saxophone. Here's here's where it gets weird again. During the Crimean War eighteen fifty three to eighteen fifty six, Sacks made two more inventions. First, he designed the saxo tonaire A.
Speaker 1: I was just getting carried away, just a hamster shooter.
Speaker 2: He can't wait. A massive locomotive powered origin.
Speaker 1: Which was.
Speaker 2: Which was supposed to be so loud as to be heard across all of Paris at once. Imagine playing the locomotive powered organ. The person who plays it is death. By the time they're doud plague it. It could be heard across all of Paris. The second was developed in response to the crimean Wars sage of Sevistpool, where the French military and its allies were locked in a destructive conflict. As a potential solution to such lengthy sieges, Saxon thus designed the Saxocannon, a giant cannon whose half ton round shots would be powerful enough to completely destroy a quote average sized city. He's making the cannons. He's oh, and then and then he died.
Speaker 1: Weared that his instrument can entertain Paris, but this weapon canoni blow up half of an average sized city.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming that it is shaped as a giant saxophone.
Speaker 1: Or i at least launched from a giant saxophone. Yeah, just a big bellows on one end, and then it just goes down and ski jumps out of it.
Speaker 2: And I'm imagining that the locomotive powered organ looks like an organ that doctor Seuss would invent, you know, And this is this is the I can't even.
Speaker 1: Believe this detail.
Speaker 2: You know, how you play? Have you ever played a saxophone? You ever played any woodwind instruments?
Speaker 1: This is my first attempt. Yes, I played it for a month or something and was terrible at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I played saxophone for like a year or two.
Speaker 1: Equally terrible Sex suffered.
Speaker 2: From lip cancer between eighteen fifty three and eighteen fifty eight, but made a full recovery. What the guy who needs his lips to play all of his instruments and then he beat it five years later. I mean, this guy cannot die. No, And then he died and then listened to this, listen to this. In eighteen ninety four, he died of pneumonia in Paris, in pop tea, in poverty.
Speaker 1: I don't want to disparage the dead, but I have a feeling if he had all that saxophone money, he must have blown it on opium and sex workers.
Speaker 2: I think we definitely, I mean, like, first off, that's why we need to have a multipart podcast about him. Here's the other instruments. He invented scotti, saxotromba, which looks crazy, sax horn which looks fine, sax tuba.
Speaker 1: That's gotta sound so funny and be so heavy.
Speaker 2: It is from the picture I believe it to be if you put it on the ground, I believe it to be eight feet tall. And then a person puts it over their shoulders and then has it around, it circles their body and then just shoots out the top. And then a six piston trombone. This is the crazy that looks doctor Susie. So imagine a trombone. Okay, but then on the a right angle down from it. Okay, you then have six more of those.
Speaker 1: Slides, a vertical bone. That's cool. Yeah, and then the only I had more arms to play it, you know, you just wanna it seems like a word.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how you would play it. And then a bass sax horn, which looks just like somebody took like a tube and just crumpled it up and then threw it on the ground.
Speaker 1: So this is why he was putting all his money back into failed instruments instead. If he didn't, he should just ridden the saxophone into the history books.
Speaker 2: I know, but we know his nad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn, that's a really good that's a really good educational moment for this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is an educational podcast, so that's why we have these.
Speaker 1: I like a saxophone, but yeah, I was terrible at playing it. I didn't understand why there were so many buttons and valves. I was fine it making and I was finally blowing on that saxophone and getting a sound to come out of it. But I had no idea what notes I was playing, but it was It's a stylish looking instrument. I have to say, like I was watching, I was. I did some traveling last year. I was in Venice, Italy, and there's yeah, I think in Saint Catherine Square they have the thing where you sit outside and every restaurant or ice cream place has its own house band on a stage outside and they take turns playing standards and famous Italian songs and stuff, and then so one to play for twenty minutes, and you have a couple of drinks, and then two shops down their band plays, and then across the thing their band plays, and you got tourists just walk around. But if you take a seat, you kind of get to see one group play I don't know, four or five songs if you stay for a couple hours. And I was blown away by the clarinet player. My guy, I was like, I didn't know that's what clarinet sounded like in small instrumental bands. Oh my big takeaway from Italy. I'm a clear net guy and I didn't know that great instrument.
Speaker 2: It is a great instrument, isn't it. It's like a little it's like a higher pitch saxophone. It feels like I think that's what it sounded like, right, yeah, thinking of the right thing.
Speaker 1: Well it's a little maybe no, not higher pitch. Yeah, oh, I would say like a breathier God, it's the right way to say it. It's a it's like a warmer, less squeaky sound.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, great, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Mace one, but I mean, God, bless the saxophone. It's a cool instrument. And if you if you're at a wedding and then somebody in the wedding band pulls out that sax and starts warming up, you know that band's going to be rocking. Yep.
Speaker 2: And I have I have a I have a famous bit where I ship on the saxophone and I want to announce that it was invented, invented outrage. I don't really mind the saxophone that much.
Speaker 1: It's good to clear that up because we don't need protesters outside.
Speaker 2: I don't want any show because sometimes we get a little controversial here. M all right, Scottie, get us one for you know.
Speaker 1: I have another long one too about an equally Uh, it's a long article, but this guy also had grand visions. I love it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Ranch On, come on, Yo sent this in thank you Rich.
Speaker 2: We should call this episode grand Visions of stupidity.
Speaker 1: Okay, grand Visions of stupid men. And you could send your stories into The Bananas Podcast on Instagram just DM too a DMS those links. We love those links. Or you can also email us at the Bananas Podcast at gmail dot com. We check it a little less often, but we do check it. Wisconsin kayaker charged after official say he faked his own death and fled to Eastern Europe. Wow, this is a good one. This one babbles in the murder banana territory.
Speaker 2: It's always interesting when someone is just identified as kayaker. A piece of information about this guy. That's all he does, that's his whole personality. He's a kayaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did they check the rivers of Eastern Europe? Maybe they're very nice there.
Speaker 2: And we're talking about the flight discount website.
Speaker 1: This was on CNN dot com, which is sort of a light discount website written by three people. Obviously, Kurt, you can't tackle a Wisconsin kayaker with just one set of thinkies.
Speaker 2: We got one person on the ground, we got one person in the water, we got one person behind the keys.
Speaker 1: Karina Suey, Amanda Musa, and Taylor Romine. Way to go, gals, you really knock this one out of the park. Green Lake County, Wisconsin. This one's got more twist and turns than a saxophone. Kurt all Right Right, a Wisconsin man who officials say faked his own death and fled to eastern Europe, was charged with misdemeanor count of obstructing an officer Wednesday after he turned himself back into authorities. Ryan Borgwart, what a name?
Speaker 2: Bordwart spell borg bo rg.
Speaker 1: War dt.
Speaker 2: It got even better.
Speaker 1: It's a d Ryan Borgwart. I mean, you gotta love somebody to marry him and be like I might be become missus Borgwart. That's brutal. Ryan Borgwart, who was reported missing in August, flew back to the United States willingly, arriving on Tuesday, said Greenlink County Sheriff Mark Podole. Sheriff Poldole, who remained tight lipped on why the man left his wife and three children by allegedly staging a kayaking accident where where he has been for the past four months. In addition, in addition.
Speaker 2: To giving his wife and children the name Borgwart, he then abandons.
Speaker 1: Them, bingo, oh, I do not like Borgwart. We don't like this man. He came back on his own, Sheriff Poe Dole said during a news conference. When asked by media why Borgwart decided return, Podule added his family. I guess. I mean, I'm assuming that was his tone when he said it, But that is.
Speaker 2: That is why you need three reporters. You gotta get that kind of quote.
Speaker 1: So Borgwart's wife filed repetition for legal separation on Thursday. Yeah, I guess, so that's a wise move. In Wisconsin, a legal separation does not end a marriage on like a divorce, but allows the court to rule in the same issues of an upcoming divorce proceeding.
Speaker 2: I wonder what her last name is, because if her last if they have a hyphen ended last name, and her last name is like Alice.
Speaker 1: Targlart Polywalk Borgwart Polywalk. Nice to meet you, Alice. You can call me Alice BP. So yeah, Borgwart's wife is requesting sole legal cut of their three teenage children. I think so. Yeah. I think that seems like we should granted that, and claimed that the twenty two marriage was irretrievably broken. I can understand that too. Yep. So here's what happened. I'm gonna skip a bunch of this stuff, Poldole Sheriff. Podole declined to share the details of Borgwart's time away and whether he had been in touch with his family. The investigation involved a number of state and federal agencies, including the FBI and Homeland Security. Borgwart, who's forty five years old, was reported missing August twelfth after failing to return from a fishing trip on Green Lake, about an hour north of his home in Watertown, Wisconsin. For seven weeks. Seven weeks in the Green Lake County Sheriff's office search for Borgwart's body with help of trained volunteers, but only found the man's kayak, a tackle box containing his keys, his wallet, and his license. Wow, okay, suspicious.
Speaker 2: How does he get to the Eastern Europe without any of that?
Speaker 1: Eventually, officials uncovered evidence that Borgwart had fled to Europe by way of Canada. Investigators made contact with the father of three on November eleventh, So August twelfth goes missing a November eleventh, investigators make contact with the father when they say they learned he executed a plan to fake his own death for a quote number of reasons and quote I would hope he had at least one reason. Yeah, to abandon your entire family. I have a punch what this is. And the day he vanished, Borgwart traveled to Green Lake, one of Wisconsin's deepest inland lakes. There you go, who Okay, with the plan of faking his own drowning. Who and Saripoldo detailed the man's scheme. The experienced kayaker paddled out into the water, where he deliberately overturned the vessel, tossed his phone, and returned to the shore in child size inflatable boat. Okay, it couldn't just swam, but we're gonna He didn't want to get wet. Guy hates water, he does. He hate Bourgwart hates water. Alice Pollywog can't get.
Speaker 2: Enough of this stuff, and that is one of the many reasons he chose to go to eastern Europe, just more incompatible.
Speaker 1: Borgwart then rode an e bike through the night. Kurt just guess how many miles he rode through the night on an e bike. You've written e bikes many times. I have, I have all right through the night, through the night. Yeah, eighty miles, good guess, eighty miles to Madison, Wisconsin, go Badgers. Where then he boarded a bus to Detroit, eventually crossing the Canadian border and flying to Europe. So that was his escape plan.
Speaker 2: So but I don't understand. I like, he has to have his passport, it's immediately registered. Anybody does one search, they know exactly where he went, what is his Is he just an idiot?
Speaker 1: I think they initially did think he was just dead and missing and didn't think to like searched Canada, like aha, what you McCall it customs or anything like that. So before his disappearance, Borgwart transferred funds to a foreign bank account, changed his email, and communicated woman with a woman in Uzbekistan. Oh lord, the classic is Becha Stanic a criminal? That's according to the sheriff. A criminal complaint filed Wednesday said Borgwart brought approximately five five dollars in cash with him. Okay. Investigators were ultimately able to contact Borgwark through Russian speak through a Russian speaking woman, though He declined to say whether she was the woman he had been communicating with in his Beekistan or whether he was with her. Burgwart told police he had heavily researched how to disappear by looking up previous disappearance cases, and that everything hinged on me dying in that lake, he said, And the whole idea was to sell the death in January. I mean, all our murder bananas they know this one. Yeah. In January, Borgwak took out a three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars life insurance policy, which Poldol said was intended to help his family. So he's a thoughtful guy.
Speaker 2: Oh, look very thoughtful. He wants to go boink in. He's pekistan um but Cher.
Speaker 1: Poldol says that Borgwark has expressed regret for how he hurt his family and also feels bad about the amount of hours that he has put the community through.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, man, I am so excited for Borgwark to go to jail. I am very rarely excited for someone to go to jail. I want him to rot in jail.
Speaker 1: I don't think he'll go that long. I mean, I don't think it's like that big of a crime to be a dickhead. The long extensive search for Borgwark was costly and emotional taxing. It was an endeavor for both his family and charch crews. Borgwalk previously told investigators they thought that they would stop searching for him after two weeks. Potal said, quote, he picked the wrong sheriff and the wrong department. They yeah, totaled for so long.
Speaker 2: So total just sniffed something fishy. Huh, that's what he thought. He was just like this, done that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in October, so he disappeared in August and October investigators learned from Canadian officials that Borgwart had entered the country on August thirteenth, so the next day after the Drowningwart's passport was found at the family home. But learned that after he left the country, they did a deeper search on his computer and they found that he had replaced his hard drive on his laptop, cleared his browsing history on the Davis disappearance, and he had also reported his passport stolen and obtained a replacement secretly last spring. So oh, I see he had two passports. He lied about losing one, so Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Uh, he's he's supposed to hit in his mind, the person crossing is going to be the person who stole his passport. Is that like what people are supposed to believe.
Speaker 1: Or they're just supposed to find his old passport in the house and not think I think he was just really thought he would make it look like he died in the one of the deepest lakes in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Is there any way? I mean, like, I guess there's a way on some level to like to cross into Canada. Not at a checkpoint like through the woods, but it's probably like a twenty mile at like the narrowest point, like a twenty mile hike that you would have to do.
Speaker 1: And the road is teenage will do it all the time. I have a few things. I think it's so doable. Sure, that's a huge border.
Speaker 2: That's a huge border, right, so you can easily get into Canada. How do you get to eastern Europe without using a passport? Like a fishing boat, but still fishing boats are checked when they come, Like, no, fishing boats don't go from from.
Speaker 1: One hell of a Canada. His solar powered I guess the sailboat the coolest sailboat ever, But yeah, no, he flew. He just had a passport. He just man and you Okay, so what do you think happened? He fell in love with catfish online? Right, don't you think it was catfish or mat order something?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or it's just like a bot. It was just an AI bot that he fell in love with. Yeah, and then he decided to destroy his entire life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blow up his whole life for a cam girl bot in his Bekistan.
Speaker 2: At forty five. Like sure, I'm sure he was very unhappy in his life to lead him to do this. But like at forty five, do you really you really think you're going to start over and uz Bekistan? You don't speak Russian? You don't speak Uzbek is Uzbeka language. I bet you it is.
Speaker 1: I bet they have some dialect of Uzbek.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I couldn't identify whoz Bekistan on a map, could you.
Speaker 1: I could put my hand on a globe and I think I could cover it, but it would be my whole hand hand fingers.
Speaker 2: Definitely could do that. I could put my whole hand there.
Speaker 1: I know the general reha Yeah it No, I could not. I so when I was right before you and I left New York and moved to LA We had mutual friends with a big group of dudes, but I wasn't close enough to be in the wedding or anything. And they all went to a bachelor party in November in Myrtle Beach. Okay, so not you know Myrtle Beach of South Carolina. But November is not worn. That is, the beach is very shut down. The tourism is gone. I don't think anybody's even playing miniature golf at that. What year we talking about, twenty twenty eleven?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: So I had two friends that went on that trip. I had like five friends that went on the troop, but two of them were named Thomas. Their names are not really Thomas, ok. But two guys named Thomas and good guys, funny guys. So there's nothing to do in Myrtle Beach besides like eat steaks. I don't know. I don't even know what you do. The weather was crap, it was cold. And when they came back we met. We met at Fourth Avenue Pub. Why did they go?
Speaker 2: Do you know why they went?
Speaker 1: I think they had heard of it. I mean it was a bachelor party. Was why they all went.
Speaker 2: It was like, you know what I mean, like, but why were Myrtle Beach in November?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I think maybe they heard that Myrtle Beach was awesome and they didn't realize it was not that far south that it wasn't mean Miami.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, okay.
Speaker 1: Or maybe they were broke, I don't know. So they go down and there there are adult clubs there, and I think they went to some strip clubs and two of the dancers apparently took a real shine to the Thomases because the Thomases were the most single dudes there. They were unmarried. I don't think they had girlfriends at the time, And so for three nights in a row, the guys went to the same strip club, Treasure Club, and they both swore that the these two specific dancers loved them. Yeah. Yeah, and the Thomas I knew better again. I'm getting this in Brooklyn when they all return back, is devastated because on the third night, after spending fifteen hundred dollars, he shot his shot and said, can I have your number? Maybe you can come visit New York or Brooklyn. Maybe I can come down here and she says, of course, and gives him a fake telephone number. So he is devastated, and we are all like, you fool. Part of the transaction in those places is for them to make you think that they love you. And for three nights he just dumped so much money to lap dances and drinks and everything you do you want to hear? What's even more, bananaskart. Yeah, and the other Thomas married his dancer months later in New York City and they are still together.
Speaker 2: They're still together, yes, and they live in New York.
Speaker 1: Yes. Because I we were like, dreams do come true exactly, Dreams do come true like a saxophone. Life has lots of turns. And we were making so much fun of my closer friend Thomas for falling for it and just blowing out all his money on a woman that will never communicate in hopes to never see him again. And the other guy did it. He pulled off the impossible, and she came up and moved in with them, and they got married within three months.
Speaker 2: Oh believe god, I love that song.
Speaker 1: I know it's kind of like So the moral is, we don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know, There is no way, there is no moral either way. Everything's possible. Life is remember when you walk into a strip club, Guys, everything's possible. If you're looking to get married, it could happened tonight or never and never, and don't fall for it, you stupid idiots.
Speaker 1: Don't be an idiot. They don't love you. But sometimes sometimes do you live with you forever and be one of the best things that ever happened to you. So it's really up to you. It's a coin toss, guys. Everything in life is a coin toss. The tide goes in, the tide goes out.
Speaker 2: Mmm mmmmmm. I'll tease this into a little thumb's ubsession, no thumbs up session. Who doesn't like that child tired of waiting for mom crashes into daycare?
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's kids. They drive the darnedest things. I love them. Okay, I do have some good thumbs ups. This one actually got an update since I put it on my list, so I'll give you the update at the end. Larissa Cameron is a bananimal who lives in Jamaica and she works for the Peace Corps.
Speaker 2: Okay, awesome.
Speaker 1: She's doing a fundraiser for a seedling nursery project where they're growing seed links. It makes it easier for farmers. They're basically going to retrofit greenhouses to grow seedlings, which increases crop yield in Jamaica. Nice we donated, Kurt, I donated on our behalf and ban animals. If you want to, I will put the link for Larissa's project in our stories for a couple of days. But also Larissa says it got fully funded, so in the time, since I didn't have time to get to this one yet, she did let me know a couple days ago that it's fully funded. So congratulations, Larissa Cameron. I mean, working for the Peace Corps alone is wonderful, but then also funding this great thing that's gonna help farmers in Jamaica.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thumbs ups, right on thumbs up.
Speaker 1: May Bacon is thumbing up Kristin Shaw all right, a huge fan of her since Flay the Concords and Kristinshaw is a horse which Kurt invented with Kristin. May says, I know this isn't a real thumbs up, but if I could say hi to Kristin on an EPP, I would absolutely lose it. So May Bacon is saying hi, Kristin Shaw on bananas. I will tell her, we will tell her We're going to watch the Oscars with her.
Speaker 2: Is that this Sunday?
Speaker 1: I believe it is. Oh boy, I know Maya Miller. There is a baker Kurd and she did send us some gluten free banana cookies in the past and they were delicious. So Maya, thank you so much. She's telling me. Yeah, she's thumbing herself up for starting a new podcast for Love and Frosting and a blog with the same name for Love and Frosting. She's also writing a new novel after self publishing a novel appast year called Waste to Say Goodbye. Maya's a very busy, smart person and if you love baking or reading, I would suggest you check out the four Love and Frosting podcast and blog. That's great thumbs up Maya.
Speaker 2: Or now what I was just thinking about it, Like with everything that we like, it's so cool. Self publishing is awesome in the fact that like, you can write something, you can get it out there and it exists.
Speaker 1: It's real, you know where it's.
Speaker 2: Like all of these things we write, you and I the hundreds and hundreds of pages that are read by like four nerds at a network and then thrown in the trash and they never go anywhere. It's infuriating. But imagine if you just like, oh, yeah, go to my Amazon. You can see all of my You can go to see all of the scripts I wrote in the past ten years, that would be great. Be like, look at that I did something. I didn't waste twelve years of my life in Los Angeles just developing for idiots.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's right. There's a there's a series of like storage locker things, big sort of walking closets on the Paramount Pictures lot, and every time I walk by it to pitch, yeah, I have to not look at it because apparently it is full of bought scripts that were never produced, but Paramount didn't want other studios to have it. So it is just like rows and rows and rows of boxes and boxes and boxes of full feature screenplays that were optioned or purchased and never shot.
Speaker 2: Think about that too. Before email, it was just a physical thing that a studio could put it to a cage and put a lock on.
Speaker 1: That's crazy physical. So they were hiding it and locking it away. I think some got ruined during a flood or rains or fire or something. But I'm like the sheer amount of creative will power to sit down and write. I mean. And also, you know, like Ozarks, A lot of people like the TV show Ozarks. The pilot script was just on a pile of failed scripts and Jason Bateman's manager read it was like maybe this and then brought it back to life like a decade after it was written.
Speaker 2: Wow, Black Monday was the same thing that Showtime show that I was on was written ten years beforehand, and like they went in to pitch a new idea and the assistant accidentally sent the old this script from ten years ago, and they were like they sat down in the pitch, like we read the script, we love the script, and like, oh no, no that was no. Oh you're talking about that. No, no, that's ten years ago.
Speaker 1: That's dead.
Speaker 2: They're like, no, we want to buy it. And that's how it happened. Yeah, because an assistant accidentally sent the wrong script.
Speaker 1: And back to your original point, it's because they exist in the world. So self publishing is so valuable because you never know who's going to read it and who's going to go this was actually really good, So congratulations Maya yeah, last, but not least, Georgie wants the thumb. Her big sister braun Up Bron introduced Georgie to bananas during the Great Choir, and every few weeks one of them would text the other asking did you listen to bananas? And the other would reply with an episode specific quote like baby bird, whiskey in the mouth or eyes only or whatever part they knew the other one would love. So now they're closer than ever. And Georgie says they grew up in a house that wasn't very emotional. You really weren't supposed to express yourself. So Georgie wants to say I love you. Bron to her, yay, oh that's lovely. Yeah, and those are the thumbs uppies.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. All right, here we go. This is a child tired of waiting for mom crashes into independent daycare. This is on Fox four, written by Dave DeMarco and you Dave.
Speaker 1: Best in the business.
Speaker 2: This is an Independence Missouri. A woman is facing charges involving a car the crash into a daycare Wednesday, but she wasn't one behind the wheel. Please say the driver was an impatient eleven year old boy. Count on me Academy near two ninety one and Gudgel.
Speaker 1: Gudge Go Beautiful Gudge Goal.
Speaker 2: Gudgel remains partially closed from the crash, only serving younger children on the north side of the building. The other half of the building's blocked off where a bush is missing in front of the brick building and there's a large crack and portion of the wall below the window is pushed in significantly. These people went and looked at this. I'm thinking, Hm, the window was pushed in. Okay, this is a quote. The window was pushed in. It looks to me at least four inches or more because you can see the edging there. So I think it's probably gonna cost a little bit to get fixed. Lisa Greenwall, who works at the salon next door, said they didn't even talk to anybody who works at the daycare.
Speaker 1: Salon workers they keep their eyes and ears wide open. They are the original operators.
Speaker 2: Police say a mother arrived around four pm to pick up children at the daycare and left her eleven year oldest son in the car.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of scary leaving an eleven year old char in the car. Car in eleven year old child in the car unattended. Charlene Williams says, nowhere is it explained who. Charlene Williams is a random person. Maybe she's at this line, maybe she's getting her hair done. She's just a person who has an opinion, and I would like to speak to that opinion. You these I have heard so many people like online, it's just this big. We've talked about it too. Sometimes you gotta leave a kid in a car.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, eleven.
Speaker 2: Is like a I would say that's close to an adult I've seen. Have you seen eleven year olds recently?
Speaker 1: I'm terrified of them.
Speaker 2: I am terrified of eleven and twelve year olds.
Speaker 1: I crossed the street when I see him coming, I'm like, oh my mean this.
Speaker 2: The idea that you can't leave it. I'm not talking about leaving an infant in a in the car, locked up while you go to the bar for two hours. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking leaving a kid in a car so you can run into the store and get something. Life is so hard, you got to leave the kid in the car. Sometimes it's easy for eleven year old. It's the kid's fault that I mean, it's not the mom's fault. That kid got into the car. This is what he said. Boy told police his mom was taking too long inside, so he decided to drive off. He thought the car was in reverse, but because he's eleven, fine, it was actually in drive and he crashed into the building. Thankfully, no one was injured. I mean, that kid's an idiot. That kid should get in trouble, not the mom. Mom's just trying to get stuff done, just trying to live her life. I'm on the mom's side one hundred percent. Don't think she should be. And they were gonna arrest her, they were gonna is.
Speaker 1: A totally big kid, A big kid.
Speaker 2: Eleven is a big kid. Yeah, eleven is. You could be left at home. I was definitely left.
Speaker 1: Oh, we walked to school at after school. We would walk, just walk to my to my sister had a friend whose mom watched us after school. We just walk, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I oh the time my daughters seven. I'm about to let her do the banking for the family. She's smarter than all of us.
Speaker 1: She should she Yeah, she's better than turbotack. She's really good. Yeah, eleven's totally fine. Also, I will say and I know nothing of anything, of course, especially not being a parent. But like the length of time that you leave kids in child seats are car seats now seems it's so long. To me. It's I have a car like one hundred pounds or something, one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twenty pounds. My car seat is rated to one hundred and twenty pounds. It's like one of those ones that like keeps changing, so like it starts off as like a backward facing seat for when they're infants, and then you like racket it up and then put it on the back and then it's for kids until they're forty forty pounds, and then you don't have to use like the five point straps. You can use the strap from your car, and then you take the back off and then it's just a booster seat until they're I don't know, eighteen years old and they.
Speaker 1: Stay riding the car. That's what it seems like.
Speaker 2: I wasn't in a car seat everver. Was I in two car accidents? Yes? Did I break my back, yes, But I was never in one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're not a dork, You're just a regular cool guy with a broken back.
Speaker 2: I'm a cool dude, who knows what it's like to have a broken back when you're twelve.
Speaker 1: That's fine. No, I'm sure that they've saved countless lives and injuries. And also, I'm a pro helmet guy. I will yell out the window and people wear a helmet when I see adults riding. Pro I'm in the city.
Speaker 2: I'm pro car seat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I do feel like it goes very very long now, like I'm not. I'm a little surprised you didn't say the eleven year old got out of his car seat, got in the driver's seat and slammed into the salon. But also, I do I mean, like take care.
Speaker 2: I mean, but the car seat culture is probably what made that kid not understand that it was in drive. You know, give them a little more responsibility so he kind of knows how to drive the car a little better. Right, maybe he could get home.
Speaker 1: They need to make car seats. That becomes something else that just seems like a I guess you give it to friends who have children or something, But don't they just get demolished with the nil a wafers yogurt and what you can.
Speaker 2: Like, you can disassemble almost all of the pieces, and you can put the can't like the soft part into a washing machine. Even after the wash it comes out and it looks like the ghosts of disgusting have been there. You can just see outlines of like melted raisinets and stuff.
Speaker 1: They need to make them so that they become like elevated planting beds. They need to make biodegradable children's car seats, That's what I'm talking about. An easy one too.
Speaker 2: Made out of the stuff that egg cartons are made out of, you know, so you can just get wet and it dissolves. God, why do we have We're not using them for eggs, so why aren't we using them for car seats?
Speaker 1: Thank you? Okay, I mean not to be controversial, but.
Speaker 2: I don't like being controversial guys.
Speaker 1: But these are vision huge visionary ideas from stupid man. Chris Talbert sent this in. Thank you, Chris Talbert. Oh boy, I just got myself. This was This was on Kurt's favorite website. Uh, pork business dot com. Come on, come on, it was a pork business dot com written by the best in the pork biz, Jennifer Shike.
Speaker 2: Is it really about the pork business or it is we given the business to the pork. Now it's really about the pork business.
Speaker 1: It is, and I could this is a true story. I verified this one because when I saw pork Business dot Com. Oh man, I'm glad I didn't open it on a work computer.
Speaker 2: And then sometimes an episode just gives you a just a wealth of different titles, and pork business dot Com could also be a great title for this episode.
Speaker 1: It could have been the it could have been where my friend Thomas's fell in love with the dancers at business business dot com. And I'm not talking about the dancers hell Man, Jennifer Shyke pork business dot com.
Speaker 2: Do you think the person who started pork business dot com he's They got to be proud, right that they like there. They put a lot of time and effort into pork business dot Com. And they must have like cards, right, they have calling cards that say like great great gene. Yeah, the pork business gene at pork business dot com. Just give me an email over that gen at pork business dot com.
Speaker 1: They probably sell advertising. I mean, there's probably a few people that pay their mortgage and their car payments because of pork business dot Com.
Speaker 2: You know what I would this is what this is. I think pork business dot com could make a lot of money or renting out email addresses to people, because if I could say email me at pork at pork business dots.
Speaker 1: So happy, you would sell every pitch for the rest of your life. Like I just follow up, will send you a script and it comes to Netflix from pork at pork Business.
Speaker 2: I'm actually gonna see if I could buy pork business just different. Spell while you're reading this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you can always send your stories to pork at pork business dot com. Oh my god, I think I about have deleted the story. I was laughing so hard. There it is, okay, okay again, this was sitting by the Great Bananamal Chris Talbert. Thanks you.
Speaker 2: Okay. Oh wait, got it, pork business dot com. Make it mine and it's b I z nyss.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm getting it right now.
Speaker 1: Here's the article from Jennifer Shike at pork business dot com. Mission complete. Iowa man eats a pork tenderloin in all ninety nine Iowa counties. What this is a big one. This is a big one. When JJ Goodwin revealed his quest to eat a pork tenderloin in all ninety nine Iowa counties. There were certainly a lot of people asking the question, is he for real?
Speaker 2: No one asked that question.
Speaker 1: When here we go. I focused on pork tenderloins because it's probably the most comferous. But it makes sense why this story would be a pork business dot com.
Speaker 2: It really does. This is the most pork business article that pork business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've ever done. Even the Great pig Stampede of the nineteen eighties to would quite compete with JJ Goodvin. I focused on pork tenderloines because it's probably the most popular sandwich in Iowa, says Goodwin, who serves as the chief explorer of the Iowa Gallivant, another website that I'm frequenting. I knew it was going to be huge, but I didn't realize it was going to be this huge. It took off from video one. People were like, holy crap, this guy is doing it. And again, what he's doing is he's needing a pork tenderlined sandwich in all ninety nine Iowa counties. First of all, didn't know there were ninety nine counties in Iowa. So it's an educational podcast. You're learning something every day. Since starting his Tenderloined tours ten months ago, Goodvin's videos have accumulated more than twenty eight million views. That's a lot actually across his social media platforms. I made a tentative list of where we were going to go, but my list probably changed fifty times because we let the locals guide us. The lows very rarely steer you in the wrong direction. Good Vincent and paid attention to the comments. Every single time we put up a pork tenderloin. There was always comments on other places we should go, and the engagement was unbelievable. Did you get pork at pork tenderline our pork business? I got it.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to screen grab it so I can send you pork business dot com?
Speaker 1: Is yours? Tell you? I'm pumped? Do you want what?
Speaker 2: Do you what? Do you want your email address to be? At pork tenderloin, tenderloin at perk pork Business.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I haven't had so much fun in years.
Speaker 1: It's just that easy. It's good to have fun for Woods Goods.
Speaker 2: This this this episode really picked up on the last story. Yeah, sure, did I think I'm saying we got to call it pork. At pork business dot com this episode.
Speaker 1: Switching it Up, We're switching it up. On February thirteenth, he announced he will announce his favorite tender from the ninety nine counties visited. My biggest takeaway here is there's great restaurants all over the place. I can't tell you how many off the beaten path places we went to. Oh God, some restaurant, Goodvinstor has been away for people far away to learn what pork tenderlines are true. I mean they're massive too. These things are hammered flat Kurt. They're bigger than a dinner plate. These sandwiches, it's like a regular sized bun and then a home plate of a baseball diamond size breaded pork tenderloin. Oh my god, I'm trying to see if there's one. Okay, here's the last sentence of the article on pork business dot Com. Although he didn't share too many details from his travels about what makes a great pork tender loin, he did share one requirement. It has to be hot.
Speaker 2: That that is a basic requirement of most foods.
Speaker 1: At Goodvid just likes it coming out scorching hot, Kurt, I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to. It's an old pork tender.
Speaker 1: I think he described somewhere that I went over that his preferred size are huge, elephant ear pork tender. Lloyd, Honestly, if we do a banana show in Iowa at any point, you know, I'm getting a pork tender loin when we go.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, what's it? What's the city in Iowa?
Speaker 1: Des Moines?
Speaker 2: There we go, gotta go, I mean, Moin, Moin's pretty cool. Actually, I like des Moines. I remember driving through there. I saw this punk band Teenage Bottle Rocket at a like I think it's called the gas Light in Des Moines, driving cross country. They were great, and I was like, well look at this little little Midwest punk rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, we go. Maybe we'll get a des Moines show on the books at some point.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. I don't know, dm us if you know what des Moines place?
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, And I think that's it for us. Curdie b Oh, yeah, that's it. That's it. That's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, are you kidding? Made? We can't do email us at Pork at Pork Business and tenderloin at pork business dot com. Those will forward to the Bananas email. If we can just say, send all your strange hues to pork at pork business dot com.
Speaker 1: Well you now you've got to make business cards that we can hand out a live shows of people.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Now we're in the pork business together. This has been bananas. Bananas is an exactly right media production.
Speaker 2: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 1: The catchy Bananas theme song was composed and performed by Kahon.
Speaker 2: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard, and.
Speaker 1: Our benevolent overlords are the great Karen Kilgareff and Georgia Hartstart
Speaker 2: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern