Speaker 1: It's one.
Speaker 2: With Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 3: This is it, you, guys, We have a very special guest today.
Speaker 1: My gosh, it's spent so many years.
Speaker 2: It's the Stalker. Your stalker.
Speaker 1: David bo Is coming on played Garrett Sland. What Janet? Is it going to be triggering?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel triggered.
Speaker 1: I really loved him in real life though, but just seeing him after just watching all these episodes, here he comes.
Speaker 2: You guys, get ready?
Speaker 4: Hey, how are you you are?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Should I be triggered right now?
Speaker 4: See hello? Donna?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it brings back too many memories.
Speaker 1: Still just as.
Speaker 4: Cute though, oh me will Yeah, thank you. You're just saying that because it's true. I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh my gosh, you were so creepy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 5: I I it was a big departure for me. You know, I had only really done a lot of comedy and like the Buddy you know part and uh, I'm not sure how uh it happened, but my my sisters both knew your upm uh Now his name is uh drawn a blank but no not maybe maybe not your upm uh uh Parae his last name was Paray.
Speaker 4: You remember him anyway.
Speaker 5: Uh, So I I went in there and uh tried to be as creepy as I could and and I got the role and it really changed my the course of my career in terms of uh, you know, I'd only, like I said, done mostly comedy and commercials and Happy Guy and then this, Uh this kind of brought me into a new world. And I continued to do some scary, heavy, heavy rolls, so much voiceover.
Speaker 1: Okay, do the I Hop forrest please please? Yes?
Speaker 4: Rio s French test is back at Ie Hop. Yeah, I was the I was the voice of I Hop for seven years and it was the best job I ever had. It was so much, so much fun.
Speaker 5: And what was interesting about their free No, I didn't get free food, but was there was there number one new product that they ever launched, So I can take credit for that.
Speaker 1: This was before Cable Guy, your first on season four, when you were in two episodes.
Speaker 4: Right right, Yeah, yeah, I were, Well I did.
Speaker 5: I just had the thirtieth anniversary of a movie I did called Heavyweights, which was a Disney movie about kids who go way to fat camp. Uh and it starred Ben Stiller, and I met Ben on that movie, and he and jud were working on.
Speaker 4: Or the next.
Speaker 5: One of their next projects that he and jud Aptel worked on was The Cable Guy and and Ben like you know, called me up and said, hey, I've got a part for you to you know, it's just a little thing.
Speaker 4: Do you want to do it?
Speaker 5: And I said sure, And when we shot it, it was actually at the very end of the movie and had there been a sequel, it would I would have been the guy. So unfortunately we didn't go to another movie. But that was a lot of fun. Ben and I worked a few times after Heavyweights, but it's funny. Nine O two and Oh was absolutely the number one show that I've been recognized for. I mean, I've done hundreds of stuff between commercials, voiceovers and more.
Speaker 2: Than Cable Guy.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know You've done so much, but it's so iconic and you're in the last scene is just like everything that like, oh.
Speaker 4: Awesome, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Nino two and Oh is by far and away that in UHF the Weird Al movie. I did the comedy UHF the with Weird Al back in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 4: I guess so that was people getting.
Speaker 1: Mad at you when they recognized you as Don's rapist.
Speaker 4: Almost Well, here's here's a true story.
Speaker 5: I was in Palm Springs having dinner and waitress was waiting on us. And then next thing I know, police officers have entered the restaurant and they walk over to the table and they said, sure, we'd like to ask you a few questions. I said, what is this all about? I said, Well, the waitress recognized you. She said she saw you on America's Most Wanted. You're a wait or something. And it turns out she thought she had a full memory seeing me on America's Most Wanted, but it was nine o two and same network, so you know, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh that is correct, like extreme version and people like can't place in there, like we think we went to high school with you.
Speaker 3: I think I saw you on America's.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that.
Speaker 2: Must have been scary. Were you scared at all?
Speaker 5: For a second for a second, and then I realized, oh wait, no, no, no, no, I'm not a real star. Yeah, you're just that good, hilarious.
Speaker 3: We've heard some good stories that I think might be a topper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, yeah, I mean I guess I was. I was that good, you know, She uh, she was.
Speaker 5: She immediately was frightened when she saw my face, so so that kind of was too.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I loved working with you. You were so kind and we we feel so comfortable in it not comfortable situation. That was a hard thing to help you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I mean it's it's interesting.
Speaker 5: I I I remember being you know, in terms of being on top of you, you know, in the bed and and you know, with a knife in my hand and everything, and we all had we had to be you know, so precise because of the camera of course, but also you know, personal space and this.
Speaker 4: That and the other. And it was it was so good that we had.
Speaker 5: A rapport immediately, you know, that we were able to you know, work together, you know that closely, that quickly.
Speaker 3: It was a fake knife though it was a rubber.
Speaker 4: Knife, right, Oh, I don't think it was. I don't think it's.
Speaker 2: They always give us those rubber knives, remember.
Speaker 5: Right, right, right, yeah, yeah, and then you could bend it on your There's.
Speaker 1: Like certain things that each of our characters like fans. It's iconic to them. And one of the big things for me is always, like in the phone with David you called him Dave. Never call him Dave like that's a huge thing.
Speaker 4: No, that was it.
Speaker 5: That was That was the whole reason he came back. It is because you said Dave instead of David, which is interesting. My name is David and Brian played David. But I I never go by Dave either.
Speaker 4: I'm David. I'm a David guy.
Speaker 2: You know the differences.
Speaker 4: I don't know because like Dave is like asking because her husband is Dave.
Speaker 3: His name is David, but he goes by Dave. So I know, I feel have a theory, but like what's yours?
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know, because my I think Dave is more more like uh inviting to be friendly or you know, kind of casual.
Speaker 4: But uh yeah, I just thought most people call me by my last name. I always there was. I'm bo Hey bo over here bo throwing the ball.
Speaker 1: My son's name is bo Oh cool. What's your theory, Jen?
Speaker 2: Same?
Speaker 3: Dave's are like everybody loves a Dave. You know, there's no Dave you don't love. And then David is a little bit more grown up and a little more maybe intimidating or you know, David got his together.
Speaker 1: Did people? I'm sure you've gotten this, can see the name and think it was David Bowie checking in to a hotel, or like my.
Speaker 4: Entire career, my whole life.
Speaker 5: I mean I I was in the first grade when Space already came out, and I was always called David Bowie, you know, from from that, And then when I was an adult, I kind of started taking advantage of that by making dinner raise reservations.
Speaker 4: For David Bowie.
Speaker 5: And then when they when you're not David Bowie, and I throw my idea and like, oh yeah, right this way, mister Bowie, you.
Speaker 1: Know is good, good one, good one.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 5: But no, I am a bisexual rock star married to a beautiful black woman, so the similarities are a little confusing.
Speaker 4: No. I I love David Bowie.
Speaker 5: He sees one of my one of my favorite artists, and it was very tragic when he passed. But but I, you know, to this day, I still get, you know, teased about the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you can't use that trick anymore.
Speaker 5: No, unfortunately I can't can't get dinner reservations.
Speaker 2: But did you know you were coming back for season seven?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Did you ever? Did they? When you ended your the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Now. I had no idea that bring me back. I thought I thought I'd be in jail for a long time.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, right, but Cable Guy had come out in ninety six, so this was ninety seven, right, right. So were you like, I don't need to go on that show. Anyone needed to go back to that show?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, Like I said, it was like totally changed my career. I definitely wanted to come back. I wanted to come back and and be creepy again, you know, and.
Speaker 4: Show the world and you were you were in the Rock, it wasn't the Rock. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I have a crazy history with student filmmakers. I did four graduate films when I was starting out, and the four directors turned out to be huge directors. Those four student films I did. The directors from those and one of the producers have combined for over sixteen billion dollars in box office.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. It's uh.
Speaker 5: And the actor, I mean the directors are John Turtletop, who did the National Treasure movies with Nicholas Cage. I did Sean Levy's graduate film at USC. Shawn Levy created Stranger Things and has directed.
Speaker 2: Month That's so critical.
Speaker 5: I did Michael Bays graduate film at Arts Center, and Michael put me in the rock. And the last person was JJ Abrams and Matt Reid.
Speaker 3: Did you spun the wheel and got lucky?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Were you in college at that time or were you?
Speaker 4: I didn't just hire now.
Speaker 5: I went to Santa Monica City College. I was going to transfer to UCLA, but I never did. But this was just, you know, happenstance. And you know two of my I knew Jj from elementary school. I had met Michael Bay through my friend Andy Lower, but the other two. Oh, and I met Sean leave You when we worked on a movie together. I did a movie called Made in America with Ted Dance and Whoopee Goldberg, and Sean played a director in the movie. He was also acting while he was in graduate school while he was at USC. So he met me on that movie and said, Hey, I'm doing this four eighty.
Speaker 4: You want to be in it?
Speaker 5: I love you, know, So it just all everything kind of worked out and and then uh yeah, and then I met Ben and Judd. So it's like everybody I meet are these huge filmmakers. So I guess I'm the good luck charm.
Speaker 4: So it's it's me. Yeah, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And just because I'm obsessed with cable guy. And by the way, Brian Austin Green does a fabulous cable guy till this day.
Speaker 2: We still do it every time. He's like, it's a pathwordieth.
Speaker 1: Can you give us any every every name he had, I loved he what it was, Aaron Stevens, Chip Douglas, every TV you know, husband or you know.
Speaker 5: I thought that was funny. My experience on that movie was well, two things. One, we shot at the hangar for the Spruce Goose in Long Beach where they did that's where they did the the big satellite dish that he falls in at the end, But that was all controlled, you know, on a on a kind of a stage.
Speaker 4: Then we went up into the.
Speaker 5: Hills where they're really work with the actual satellite dish out off the off the fourteen Freeway way up in the hills and that was kind of neat. And then Ben, God love him, when they were doing the exterior, when they were doing the shots from the helicopter which was up in the Bay Area, he said, hey, you want to come, you know, just come with us. We're not You're probably not going to see you, but you know, just come with us.
Speaker 4: So I went.
Speaker 5: I traveled with Ben up to the Bay Area, got on a helicopter with him and shot a bunch of shots and we hung out and just you know, it was it was a great experience.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I wish that Ben and I had, uh you know, worked, you know more together. But hey, there's there's still a little wild life. Yeah, still life left in me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Okay, So where where are you located right now?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: You're still living in?
Speaker 1: L A?
Speaker 4: I'm in my living room. No, I'm in Uh.
Speaker 5: I mean I live in mar Vista, between Marina del Rey and Culver City.
Speaker 1: Very good sushi there? Do you eat sushi?
Speaker 4: I do? Which? What? What? What sushi do you like? Where do you go?
Speaker 1: Oh god, I don't know the name. There's a really good one. I'm blinking starts with a tea right on.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been to Rice in Manhattan Beach?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, no, but I've heard of it. No, my friend lives in Manhattan Beach. That's a that's a very pross.
Speaker 1: The woman that doesn't eat sushi.
Speaker 4: Good food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, my family loves it.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I was born I was born in a small town off the West coast called Santa Monica, California, and I never left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I've lived in lam folks.
Speaker 2: Wait, have you ever been in it?
Speaker 3: You've had all these great experiences. Have you ever been in like on a toxic set, like a have you ever had a bad experience?
Speaker 5: I mean, you know what, there there are a couple of low budget movies that I wasn't show.
Speaker 4: It was not your show.
Speaker 5: No, now, your show is a great experience. Everybody was so nice on on this show. I mean because my my, I think I did one scene at the college where I was cleaning up your table and kind of spy, you know, looking at you.
Speaker 4: And I had other people in it, but for the most part it was just you. You, me and and Brian.
Speaker 5: But everybody else took the time to come up and introduce themselves and talk to me, and and it was a it was a great, uh you know, positive place to work. I absolutely, But but in terms of like places that didn't go so great, you know.
Speaker 4: What, I I shouldn't say it didn't go great.
Speaker 5: But I did a movie called Wedding Band with William Kat and Pollie Shore and Lance Kinsey and it was came out before the Wedding Singer, and it was basically the Wedding Singer, but a low budget version of it. And I'll never forget when William kat the first night, we're all sitting around, we're all ready to shoot our first scene, and he says, I always.
Speaker 4: Wondered what it would be. I always wondered what would do on the way down. Oh, I was like, oh wait.
Speaker 1: What attitude greatest American hero and hero? Right?
Speaker 4: He was the hero And we ended up having a blast and we ended up having a great time.
Speaker 5: And but it was that first night of like, yeah, oh God, is this going to be a horrible experience?
Speaker 3: And I'm glad it turned around for you.
Speaker 2: You've been to a lot of.
Speaker 3: Commercials, Like how many commercials have you done just this year?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: This year, I have not booked one commercial. So thanks for asking?
Speaker 4: Now about last year?
Speaker 2: How about last year? Maybe three years ago?
Speaker 5: No, I at my peak, I remember seeing myself three commercials in a row.
Speaker 4: Wow, I was on you were banking in a row? I was?
Speaker 5: It was, one was Jack in the Box, one was I was the spokesperson for a Remember when calling cards calling cards.
Speaker 4: Were a big deal. Yeah. So I did the uh friend MCI Friends and Family card.
Speaker 5: Or something, and that was one of them. And then I was also, uh, what was the other campaign? Oh, the bud Bowl campaign for the super Bowl where in the bottles fight each other, they play each other. This was the first time they have live action people in the Bud Bowl commercials.
Speaker 2: And had a super Bowl commercial.
Speaker 4: I've had several. Yeah, I was I was the man. Yeah, that's the goal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the super Bowl super Bowl spots for Butterwise. I did four spots, two of which ran for a couple of months leading up to the super Bowl, and then two spots ran only during the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: So it was a big deal. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You go into audition for commercials and people were like, oh, here he comes, Deveen, He's going to get it.
Speaker 4: It was for a while there it was like, oh, here he is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then and then it's also like I've had people, you know, rooting for me of course as well. Uh, the voiceover world and the on camera world are a little different. Voiceover world is is everybody's rooting for everybody else, and and you know it's a real tight knit, close knit group. On camera, it can get a little like, you know, uh competitive.
Speaker 4: But I remember one spot I read for.
Speaker 5: It was for Rice Crispies and it was a dad trying to get his kid to eat and he starts seeing the Rice Crispy song and then he puts the cereal on his head and all this and does a little dance. Everybody in the room said, there's your guy, and I ended up booking it. So it was it was a kind of fun, fun thing that people were rooting for me and it happened.
Speaker 1: Do commercials pay great? I mean Super Bowl commercials?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, Like, what's the difference if you get a commercial that runs like, you know, a whole run or a commercial super Bowl commercial?
Speaker 4: Well, there's there's two factors.
Speaker 5: One is how long it's going to run, and and they it breaks down to four quarters.
Speaker 4: You know, during the.
Speaker 5: Year, you have a four four month periods.
Speaker 4: I'm not four four month periods. What am I saying? Four to three month periods? Yeah? Four quarters?
Speaker 5: And if it if it lasts you know two one two, that's great. If it lasts the whole year, that's that's even better. But I guess my point is if it's a national network spot and it's going be more than it is now as opposed to a locally or regional spot. You can make a ton of money. I mean you can make you know, thirty thousand dollars on a national network spot per quarter. So that's you know, you can make over one hundred thousand dollars a year on one commercial.
Speaker 3: One commercial. Well, amazing TV. I mean, let's just start doing commercials.
Speaker 5: Animation is is really lucrative as well, and so.
Speaker 1: For you I've only.
Speaker 5: Done a couple of things, so that really that world didn't open up for me. But everything else I've been so fortunate. I've worked in commercials, work in movies, television, guest stars and voiceover, you know, on camera commercials. So I've just been very fortunate to have been able to work across the board animation. I never really cracked. But like I said, it's it's not too late.
Speaker 3: Right, No, no, he's ready.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 3: If you're putting to hire somebody to voiceover your cartoon, how.
Speaker 4: About you guys. You guys have been doing this podcast now for how long?
Speaker 5: It's it's a huge mash hit season.
Speaker 4: Everybody's listening. That's so long.
Speaker 1: Three more to go and then who knows.
Speaker 2: That's what are we going to talk about.
Speaker 1: It's been really great though, because we haven't really watched the show back since then and watching it as fans now we love it.
Speaker 5: I love That's so awesome and people are tuning in and listening and I think that's great. And so did you guys give yourselves ten years? We're going to do this for ten years. We're gonna do it for a certain amount of time or.
Speaker 3: The podcast we were just we just we're just covering all the seasons, so ten seasons.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so that would make sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been so fun. It's been so fun. It's been really fun. I just want to know what's next for you.
Speaker 5: That's a great question. I have been auditioning for a few things. It's been slow, it's been very slow. But the last thing that audition.
Speaker 1: The whole industry for everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, since that I auditioned for it is a soap opera, Days of Our Lives, so which is no longer on network. I guess you have to watch it on their streaming service. But a surgeon all sorts of medical mumbo.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'd so excited. I'm a lifer with Days of Our Lives.
Speaker 4: Yes, awesome. Oh good, you see you still watch it? Awesome?
Speaker 2: Now not anymore, She ended that life I had.
Speaker 4: One more story.
Speaker 5: I wanted to say real quick that I it's one of the most not embarrassing, but but I made a choice on your show. When I came back and David comes to the bar and we're about it looks like we're going to fight, and for some reason I decided it would be good that right before we're going to fight that I took my hands and I went like this, like I took each finger and closed them and if you watch, yeah, if you watch the episode, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To try it.
Speaker 4: If you watch the episode, it's just looks so bizarre.
Speaker 2: Were are your hands when you do that? Up here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I bring them up and I go like, okay.
Speaker 2: Well because because you're crazy, so it worked.
Speaker 1: What was behind that that you were like put a want pal? I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's like most people just put their hands up and I went like that, Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I like that that's a good choice.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like now that you pointed out, it's pretty cool. I didn't really notice it in the moment.
Speaker 1: But we have one son, Crats, I have two sons.
Speaker 4: I have two boys.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: My oldest son, Dane is in the Air Force. He is actually it's just stationed in Italy and he'll be there for three years. It's very exciting. My other son, Owen is twenty three now twenty two or twenty three, and he's in Chicago and he wants to be a culinary artists a show. And so I have two very very wonderful boys. And that's that's all I know. How about you guys, you have kids?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tried to go down the rabbit hole of your Instagram, which has two posts.
Speaker 4: So Instagram, you gotta do better. Gotta do better on Instagram now.
Speaker 2: No, I'm jealous of you not giving a shine.
Speaker 5: I have one more, another memory. I keep saying one more. But while we were filming, it was your birthday and I can't remember what birthday it was for you, Tory, but you invited me to your birthday party. And so it was at a restaurant in Beverly Hills. You had to go downstairs. I think it used to be a Chinese restaurant, but it was, you know, you rented, you rented out the place, and I remember going and uh, I was invited to Tory's birthday party in Beverly.
Speaker 2: Do you have fun? Who was there?
Speaker 4: Everybody from the show was there. I mean it was facked. There was wall people. So yeah, wait, if you.
Speaker 2: Don't remember this, then there's no chance to.
Speaker 1: Hold the fort. Wait. So this was nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 5: This was I believe after we did or during the time we were doing the first one.
Speaker 1: Maybe or just the It was the fourth seasons. So what year would that have been, ninety three or four? Was it the China Club?
Speaker 5: It was it China Club. Yeah, that's what it was. It was called the China Club. Now, why did I think it was in Beverly Hills because that wasn't.
Speaker 1: In Beverly Hills because it was in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, it all right?
Speaker 1: Well, no, I really connect it with you. I really loved working with you, and we had a really good groupport and you were great and it was a really scared you know, doing dramatic stuff Like I'm good with comedy and that's my comfort zone and doing drama is not is not easy for me, or so I tell myself. So how did all that Having a partner that really played ball and made me feel comfortable. I was really grateful for you.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate that, and right back at.
Speaker 5: You, I mean to me you you made the scene work is without the fear in your eyes and without your you know, reaction to me.
Speaker 4: You know no one's going to care, you know, so you not.
Speaker 1: Hear do I had and not seeing them.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to talk to you.
Speaker 4: It's so great to talk to you that. Thank you guys for having me on. And I guess when I start my podcast you'll have to join me.
Speaker 1: We will absolutely.
Speaker 2: Take care David, thanks so.
Speaker 4: Much, Thank you guys so much. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye,