Speaker 1: What is Looks Maxing. It's very trendy. What is that? Is that true? Is that a thing?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh? I mean but by the way, I have a Looks Maxer like Adler is just I see his future, Like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if that's a good thing or is that a thing? Is it's a writer? You know what this is? You've heard of this?
Speaker 2: Yes, because he has a tween. It's going to be everywhere in just you know, I'm mewing right now. Yeah, you're mewing. Look at you, mewing stigma.
Speaker 1: I don't like any of this exactly. I don't like any of this.
Speaker 3: Hey, Will, can you stop mogging?
Speaker 1: Writer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're totally.
Speaker 1: I'm you.
Speaker 2: You're lapping Will your will with your mogging.
Speaker 1: Language. Right? Is this like the six seventh thing where actually, when you get down to what it really doesn't no one knows what it means.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I just I want to work on my cheekbones.
Speaker 1: Oh god? Is that the thing?
Speaker 2: The face take cameras or hard objects to their face to create micro fractures so that certain parts like it's all about manliness. Looks Maxers are boils who have decided that in order to avoid being an inceelluh, they are going to maximalize their beauty and so metrosexual. Well that yeah, that I guess We've had multiple different.
Speaker 1: Time you rebranded metrosexual. You rebrand metrosexual was always yeah, okay, and then in the seventies it was just being in touch with your femininity.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, metrosexual. To be fair, it was a little bit like just actually caring about your hygiene, a little bit like oh I trim my beard, hairs, I do my hair, I brush my teeth.
Speaker 1: But wasn't it also like guys starting to wear like base makeup and like you could wear a little bit of makeup and stuff like that, that was metrosexual.
Speaker 4: I thought, No, No, it was just for for straight men to actually care about what they look like. That's all the And that's why the word went away is because once men started it was like this is there's no longer hetero hoomo distinction.
Speaker 1: There's just looking good.
Speaker 2: They're just taking care of the word.
Speaker 1: The metrosexual just went away. So the word So the way to make yourself manly is by breaking your cheekbones with something.
Speaker 2: They've decided that like all high testosterone things like broad shoulders, high cheekbones, chisel jaw, you know, low body fat, like just that kind of stuff is ultimately the most important part of being high on the evolution food chain, and so to be an alpha. And so these guys, there's all the lingo of this young young generation mogging is to upstage someone with your beauty. So say we took a group picture, like Will or Rider could be mogging the other one based on who looks more manly, like who's got broader shoulders, who's got sharper cheekbones. And these people who looks maxers take it extremely far. Plastic surgery, hitting.
Speaker 4: Their testosterone, they're hitting their.
Speaker 2: Face, having hair transplants if they don't like their hairline.
Speaker 1: The idea of what masculinity is is so ridiculous when it comes to stuff like this. So essentially we've just gone back to Jersey Shore.
Speaker 2: A little bit, A little bit like Jersey Shore, Yeah, a little bit with that GT taking.
Speaker 1: What you got to take, Jim Tan laundry. It's just about how you look, and you know, it's the facial features and cutting down the body fat. We've gone back to just Jersey Shore. Okay, next generation, good luck for.
Speaker 3: Your kids, well, the situation. The situation in this case is a guy named Clavicular. He's like the main guy who also made.
Speaker 1: It sounds like something you need to take a pill form.
Speaker 2: It's taken from his claviical. He owns to have sharp classicals.
Speaker 1: This is a thing. What it worked. We're done, We're done, We're done moving.
Speaker 2: My biggest issue with it is that I read it and I was like, oh God, Adler doesn't know what a look snacksters. But Oddler is like kind of.
Speaker 4: What he really cares about what he looks like, and.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, he cares about what he looks like. And he's like, I just want abs. I want to, Mom, I want to I want to get Oh, I gotta get abs. And like he six and a half, and he anytime he comes, like he goes anywhere, even remotely home adjacent, his shirts immediately ripped off. And he's and I'm like, why where, why don't you have a shirt on? And he's like I just I just like it.
Speaker 1: He's just like, man, is he gonna get a try? Is he gonna get a tribal henna?
Speaker 2: He plays he would, he would for sure he would if he saw a guy with a big bicep and a tribal hen attack. If he saw, he'd be like, I want that. The other day I said to he was like, so, what do I have tomorrow? And it was Wednesday, and I know it was Tuesday. He was asking, and so he was asking about Wednesday, and I said, you have tutoring. He has a reading tutor and and he's like, oh, man, I don't care about reading. I don't care about math. All I want to be is strong and athletic, just full set camp.
Speaker 1: Is that surprise?
Speaker 4: You guys watched wrestling with him since he was like two.
Speaker 1: Sure, you could also take the theatricality about about wrestling. You could take the kind of my parents. My mom's an actor, and look at the theatricality behind the wrestling. So like I want is that.
Speaker 4: You're fighting one another in an athletic competitions.
Speaker 1: Fighting.
Speaker 4: You're not getting together to like wrap battle or you know. What you're doing against each other is beating the crap out of each other. So it's not surprising that he's gonna care about physical stuff. You gonna think that that's the highest value.
Speaker 3: He had the same situation, was set up in the same way and he's just straight up Jester maxing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, all these words, that's that's that's more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does all of this as a completely a joke, like ironically, like he is constantly, but he knows all the terms.
Speaker 1: They're all talking about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like they're.
Speaker 1: All so you know what in the nineties, would have just been a douche twat to bring back a word now we're making is now a maxine It would.
Speaker 3: Be it kind of would have been. I mean, truthfully, it probably would have been a jock.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but that's the thing. I would argue that most jocks that I knew cared more about winning and competition and their sport than they cared about how they looked doing it. Yeah, the difference in it.
Speaker 4: Jug gonna name names, but let's just say team beat crowd. Like we knew men who were in the team beat scene.
Speaker 1: That that's what they care liked being in the team beat seam, right, So what.
Speaker 4: They cared about was their clothing and their presentation, and that was the goal was to like be the hottest thing, and like that was exactly what like I couldn't stand to be around.
Speaker 1: That's why we would call them douchebags, That's what I'm saying. But he has always existed. Well, it's always there, it's just but it's like now it's but it seems like now it's become the thing.
Speaker 4: Becausecial media has just amped up everybody's obsession with looks and superficial you know, presentation in general. So you know, people are like kids are, I mean, it's distorting their brain to be on a screen and like constantly only be engaging with other people in like this context. Right, Like if I cared only about my relationship with you guys through the screen, man, I would look a lot better than I do right now, Like I would put an effort into it, right, And so if.
Speaker 1: I guess you're right too. That's all the social media and everything that that everybody's doing is it's a visual medium. So all you're doing is looking, and sometimes you're looking very quickly. So if you're just looking at a tile this big, you want abs and whatever because somebody's gonna sit by, so you want it to look as good. There's no substance to anything. But we never celebrated that before, at least as a society.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say it's being celebrated right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's kind of being it's like it's a little.
Speaker 2: Being mocked, and it is still still very very niche subculture. It's it is not it is not a thing that's you know, yeah, it's still a niche subculture right now, but it is going to be talked about a lot. All that's what this guy Clovicular. No, No, this guy Clivicular also has a very polarizing presence. He he's very obviously a person who's willing to do almost anything for likes and clicks and views, including you know, just behaving like a general awful human being. So this isn't someone that, like as of right now, is someone most people are looking up to. But I did want to read the tweet because this is the thing that made me see it. That was like, wait, I have to I have to know more about this. This was and it makes sense if you know the world Clovicular was mid jesture gooning when a group of foyds came and spiked his cortisol levels. Is ignoring the foids while munting and mogging mooids more useful than s MV chad fishing in the club.
Speaker 1: Wow, I got Club. Yeah, so it is. It's just it's a full on language. It really full.
Speaker 2: Subculture with its own language that soon, I do think, for better or worse, whether it's because it ends up being heralded or it becomes something people rebuke, it's going it'll be in the lexicon for all of them. We won't be It'll be the nose six seven.
Speaker 1: Very quickly. There's the thing these things are happening.
Speaker 4: Like, it's like culture has gotten more intense more quickly, and then it sort of fades away.
Speaker 1: Just I feel like.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be like like already six seven feels like last year's thing totally, and like, you know, that's what I love is like the more the adults start using all every time I write down everything that Indy says, I keep a list literally on my fridge of all these words and I use them all the time, and it pisses them off, and then they stops using them. You know what it becomes like if the second I make it dorky because I'm absorbing it, it's over and like because because and I think that's the way these things go. Like there are certain ones like man Bro has really taken over. Oh yeah, every we just say Bro all the time. Which there was a period when he was like six or seven. I was like six seven when I was like yeah. He still points out the license plates will be like six seven. He'll be you know, six seven, like indy, that means nothing. It means nothing. Why is that a thing?
Speaker 2: Fler says you.
Speaker 1: But anyway, Bro took over eighties? These are eighties, bros. Does come back.
Speaker 2: I have an eighties your teenagers.
Speaker 4: Man, that's when you were aware of teenage culture because you were a teenager.
Speaker 1: But I played on TV. It's always the same.
Speaker 4: It's like, that's just it's just teenage culture. They have to invent their own language. They have to separate and isolate themselves from their parents and like break.
Speaker 1: The rules and come up with their own things. Okay, So what was yours? What were both of yours? What was your six seven or what was the thing that you and your friend said all the time? What was your vernacular?
Speaker 5: Hella?
Speaker 4: Hella was crusty, crusty, We called good weed killer couche.
Speaker 1: Oh I had we had a whole language, dude. Yeah, we used to.
Speaker 4: We used to say, if I have no idea, But this was a very localized thing. But we used to have like if if somebody was like an adult, was acting really weird, we'd go unhappy mac noam, and like that was our way to say to one another, like.
Speaker 1: Wait, unhappy.
Speaker 2: Happy macnam yep.
Speaker 1: That was and like man like, if I said that to Shilah right now, he would.
Speaker 2: Lose uppy a voice note. I'm dying to see what he responds back. We had. I mean I was, you know, eighty early nineties, dude.
Speaker 3: Rad.
Speaker 1: Coast, West coast cool beans. Oh yeah, cool beans. Somebody just said that to me in in an email and I was like, what cool cools. Let's bring that back. Yeah, there a lot, And then you'd add a word like easy there, tough, easy there, all down, yeah, easy there, all star. You know we did that a lot.
Speaker 2: Don't have a cow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah that was.
Speaker 4: Don't think about how often we used to quote movies. That's all they're doing with memes. Like we used to sit around and be.
Speaker 1: Like we would quote, uh what did we quote?
Speaker 5: Will?
Speaker 1: We quoted so many?
Speaker 4: But like weird ones too, Like so I married an axe murderer, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Was a big one. Yeah, don't go in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Austin Powers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, doing much Mike Myers, because Mike Myers did Wayne's World, which was super quotable. He was a master of like coming up with those catchphrases that you know.
Speaker 1: People would just get addicted to.
Speaker 2: Are you send one?
Speaker 4: Am I?
Speaker 1: What am I saying?
Speaker 2: Uh say, I'm doing the podcast.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't give it any context? Send it full send? All right? How do I do a voice there? I don't do that ship.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's a video, there's a microphone.
Speaker 1: On hamarking them. All right, I'm just sending that.
Speaker 3: The irony of talking about clipicular when writer can't send a voicema.
Speaker 2: I'll let me know how that respond how that goes. It's very funny.
Speaker 1: He's probably just gonna write L O L or. Yeah, I'm trying to think.
Speaker 4: We had so many other ones like Sebastapolad. It's very particular, weird like George, Yeah, I'm trying. You know who I should really ask his neigh Brewer. He was the king of that neigh Brewer and Aaron Graile defined, right, you tried tried to start and that one never cut off.
Speaker 1: That was we tried. Yeah, we tried. Oh man, all right, we'll see we'll.
Speaker 2: See what he says. Welcome to Hodmeats World. I'm Daniel Fishal, I'm right or strong, and.
Speaker 1: I'm Will Vickilar just smortching on the Tim Tam.
Speaker 4: Smortching in the Tim TAM's great. I love that Indian I we have a running bit. We have a product called shin Tins that we're always doing commercials for and we just rip on it.
Speaker 1: It'll be like shins, carry your teeth and make this better. And you know, whatever c your teeth by the way.
Speaker 2: Your teeth you mean cure, like the way you cure something with a light.
Speaker 1: You know, like I think it's actually cure, like a disease, cure that squeak and your teeth shin tins. Shins.
Speaker 2: Well, today we are recapping season seven, episode ten. Guys, we're almost halfway through season seven. Possible picket Fences. It originally aired November twenty first, nineteen ninety nine. The synopsis Corey and Tabanga find themselves in a financial dilemma when looking for an apartment, while Jack and Eric get a new boss at the student union. It was directed just.
Speaker 1: Because we all know how you feel about the beat story.
Speaker 2: Dad is a well played silence goes a long way.
Speaker 1: Just what that that clip? Forever the way you read boss? It was.
Speaker 2: Crickets, Oh my gosh. It was directed by Jerry Levine. It was written by Erica Montalfo. Before I jump into our guest stars, I've shared.
Speaker 1: My overall thoughts, I think we're all agreed. Right again. The A story was good, but it was the same as last week. Rusty is also way worse this week and he was last week. And the B story is un It was.
Speaker 4: Funny how we predicted some of these things during our recount were friends, which was so nice we predicted and because we just actually remember, you know, it was somewhere deep. But yes, like a lot we we I mean to be fair, like a lot of the things that we said should happen did pretty much happen, and or or were said, you know, the things were said that we were.
Speaker 1: Like, why aren't they saying this? They did?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like the episode really bothered me for the first half, and then something happened and I was like, Okay, I guess this is just the way, and you know, I do think this is the Corey to Panga season.
Speaker 1: Like this and like you two has like a duo, Like that's cool.
Speaker 4: You know, it's always work, Like I don't think they take advantage of it enough, but like I totally forgot this dynamic me too. And then there's some really great moments like you two on the couch. There's like one there's that one scene in the in the in the living in your apartment. It's it's long and it goes all over the place, but there's a moment with the two of you on the couch where I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh wow, this is like real love.
Speaker 2: This is nice.
Speaker 4: It reacted, it's simple, it's not for the sake of a plot. And I was like, wow, I have never seen this Coreyan topanga.
Speaker 1: It was adult.
Speaker 2: And it felt calm, It felt non chaotic. There's a lot of koreyantopanga dynamic stuff that just feels like frenetic and that I know exactly what you're talking about. It felt very honest, like we were listening to each other, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, and and not.
Speaker 4: And then the scene proceeds for you guys to do like a bit like and that's fine, but that moment on the couch was just like, ah, I'm watching two people in love. Two characters in love be together and talking about their life, and I was like, that's cool that more of that would have been nice, you know, throughout the whole season or the show, because it makes sense.
Speaker 1: It makes you like Corey and Topanga way anyway.
Speaker 4: You know, It's something that I think I've always taken for granted throughout these recaps. Is I don't know, like I just never I never thought of the Corey to Panga thing as like the essence of boy Meets World, and it was in a lot of ways. It's like one of the main pillars. And I think part of the reason it became like the pillar is because of this season, which I forgot, Like this season just is about you know, it's why Girl meets World. It was what it was because this season sets up Girl meets World. It's about Corey and to Panga living on their own being trying to figure out being adults in this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's really weird though that Like there's that moment when the parents literally are like, congratulations, you are a grown.
Speaker 1: Up, Like so this was all a test. But then I'm like no, But if you go back to season one, there were moments like this.
Speaker 4: He always about the Yeah, it's just really heavy handed and manipulative to think about, like parents going this far extreme to be like, now you've grown up.
Speaker 1: It's weird, but it's very you know, it's was there was Bill not in this hmm.
Speaker 2: He had finals, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're right, what we're you gonna say? I'm sorry? Interrupted just popped into my head.
Speaker 2: No, I was, I was just gonna say I did. I feel the same way writer, especially that part where he says, you know, he asks, well, would you have come to help me fix the pipes? And he's like no.
Speaker 1: It's like no, what why? Why a lesson that gonna help me? That's a wild.
Speaker 2: Also, having help doesn't take away from the fact that you do something yourself, Like having help doesn't mean you don't have the sense of accomplishment. But I did at least under I did love the line, and I would have Your mother and I fell in love because we knew we were capable, and I never would have taken that opportunity away from you. I at least loved that idea. That sometimes because my parents talk about this too, even though you know, married for thirty years and then divorced and ruined my life just kidding. My life was not ruined. I just think my family was a fraud, But that doesn't ruin my life.
Speaker 1: It seems like this is a different, more intense presearch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, therapy.
Speaker 1: No. No.
Speaker 2: My parents when they got married to twenty one had practically zero money. They truly My dad was a full time college student. He was putting himself through college, and he was working two part time jobs to pay for college. So he would go to school full time during the day, and then one of his jobs was cleaning a bakery from midnight to four am.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then he had a setting up another business job from like five am to nine am, and then he would get to sleep on some days and then go to school all day. And my mom was working at a bank, and so they had they had I love the story. They had twenty dollars each to spend total on food for the week, if groceries or if they were had to eat out or get something on the go because of the schedule they couldn't come home to eat. They had twenty dollars a week, and then whatever they could save from that twenty dollars a week they put in their individual pots to buy each other a Christmas gift.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's how it shipped. My parents are the same. My there's a famous story in our family where they had such a small food budget that my dad surprised my mom their first year and he bought a beef tenderloin, and my mom cried because she's like, it's our whole budget.
Speaker 2: Right, why'd you do this?
Speaker 1: Like, we've got this is what we're eating now for a month, We've got nothing else. Yeah, so you could be a tenderline last week. Yeah, stretch it out.
Speaker 2: But like when my mom remembers those times and remembers thinking, in the moment, this sucks, this is hard, I hate this, I can't live like this. This is really difficult. And then you know, my dad graduated from college with a business degree and worked his way up and before long they were upper middle class and had two kids in a beautiful house. And my mom looked back at those years and said, those are some of the happiest times of my life. Yes, they were incredibly hard in the moment, but like I look back at that and we learned so many of our incredible skills about budgeting and communication, and like, so many good things came from that experience, and I loved that that was his message that like he and Amy had that and he knew that that's what was on the other side of it, and he didn't want to take that away from them by just giving them the easy way out.
Speaker 1: Now I agree with everything you said. I think they killed it with the character where when he says, would you have come to help me? Plumb, Rusty should have said co Absolutely, I'll always give you my knowledge, Like if I know how to fix something, of course I'm going to help you do that. That's all You're always my son. Yeah, and I'm always going to be teaching you how to be a man. That's all you need. But it said like no, I'm not going to come and help you.
Speaker 4: It was like I know what well this was, you know, like I feel like we've talked a little bit about this and then some people have pointed out to us that, like the show is from Corey's point of view.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that whole reading of right.
Speaker 4: And when I that that's what I feel like this episode really spoke to me, is like it fell into.
Speaker 1: This like, oh, this is about Corey growing up.
Speaker 4: This is the show about you know, an eleven year old boy who's in trouble at school and you know, no one pays attention to him figuring life out, And like, if I thought about it in those ways, it's like a cartoonish because it's so over the top, you know that a parent would actually do this to their son.
Speaker 1: But then I was like, oh, but it's it fits. It fits the show. It fits the narrative of Boy Meets World, you go all the way back.
Speaker 4: So I was like, cool, you know, and and I think that like, like you guys are saying, it's a nice lesson, you know, like, and it's it's especially nice because it counterbalances all the we were meant to be together, we're gonna you know, it's like the whole idea of ever after, right like once we get married, everything's great.
Speaker 1: And like the fact that our show tackled the idea of like no, it's hard, like you know, it's the fantasy versus the reality exactly.
Speaker 4: And if Boymans World just ended with their wedding day and that was the last episode, it would have been like the Cinderella story would have been nothing, you know, whereas like now it's something, it's like it's it's it's it's at least attempting to wrestle with really great, big issues.
Speaker 1: Well, you also said something really interesting, which is that it's it's what it was obviously where Girl Meets World came from. You could easily have had Boy Meets World not existed. You easily could have gone in and pitched this show Corey Intapanga together and pitched it as it's Mad about You at nineteen. Yeah, totally, and when it would have worked, I mean, that's that would have been a whole different sitcom. But it absolutely would have worked. And I couldn't agree more about Corey and to Panga being very likable and very real. There's a couple of moments where it was like, oh, that's not so good, but the rest of it was great. And then there's the beast story and the story. Oh and I am horrible in this episode too. Really, yeah, I hated my I'm like so just not into it.
Speaker 2: I only thought you were not into it. In the scene with Trina where you're laying no where you're like that at the end, at the very end where you're.
Speaker 1: Like it's the only one. I was like, oh, okay in that scene.
Speaker 2: I loved the scene of you in Corey and Tepeanga's apartment where you're having the conversation with him about like, wait, no, stop, why would you have fixed this? I thought you were great in that scene.
Speaker 1: I agree. I didn't. It's so I could tell I was just badly acting. But you think this was the most real I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was nice to see you turn it down.
Speaker 1: The subtext was there. That's it. It's not like that. But when Nicole said to us, I was supposed to do multiple episodes, I didn't realize how blatant it was going to be. Where she clearly they didn't it like there was no ending to the story. I went down to she do it?
Speaker 2: Does she do it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I think I thought she ended up doing two of the episode.
Speaker 1: I hope because if that's the end, No, no, because isn't the next one? The next one? I saw pop ups called what a drag? I think that's where Eric and Jack dressed like girls. She's not in that. This was it?
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, Jensen just said nope, she's gone.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: The fact that he blamed the b storyline not working on her is wild.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, who did what? Who blamed this on her?
Speaker 2: Nicole said when we had her, because Nicole's a formal former Pod Meets World guest, said, Michael kept telling her all week, you're not doing what I want you to do. You're not getting it, You're not getting it. And then when he cut, when he took the three episode arc away from her, he was like, because you just you're not you know, you're not getting it.
Speaker 1: What was there to get?
Speaker 2: Also, she plays that character. She was great perfectly.
Speaker 1: She was great, and the dynamic between her and Jack could have gone somewhere and Eric in the background, hello maybe hello mo honey, Hello Marac time and I was like, what the hell is happening? Is this two in a row that are unwatchable, watchable, beat stories, awful, awful, that's so creeah, it's so great. I mean also, like you'd already done all of this with Rachel, Like we.
Speaker 2: Did a whole season and then last week they did this with triplets.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: So this this notion of like maybe we introduce a female character and God messes up Jack and Eric what Like We've done so many versions of this, Like no, at least I mean, well, say what you want about the monkey storyline at least.
Speaker 2: I liked the monkey storyline because at least it was about two friends who were wildly different helping challenge each other to rise to the occasion of adulthood.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay something, it's yeah, this and I get the pitch for this. Let's bring in a female Jack. Okay, great, yep, that's I understand that really good looking, kind of smarmy from a rich, total spoiled rich brat. Wow, that could be an interesting story. And then they did this and it was like, what the hell is going on? And maybe this is the whole thing of well, it would have made sense if she was there for three episodes. I mean, you've got Nicole Eggert, You've got an eighties and nineties television mainstay who is doing really well, sorry with what she's given and and for something else was going on that we don't know about.
Speaker 2: Correct, something else is something else was happening, because it doesn't It makes zero sense.
Speaker 1: Something else was going on.
Speaker 2: Jumping into our guest stars former Pod Meets World guest as I mentioned, Nicole Eggert is Bridget Eggert burst onto the scene in another Michael Jacob's show, Charles in Charge as Jamie Powell. She also appeared in seven episodes of Who's the Boss, and would later don the iconic red swimsuit as a lifeguard on Baywatch. If you remember, Nicole told us during her appearance that she was originally told this role would have a three episode arc, but was asked after this one, so.
Speaker 1: I didn't see where they could add to and I think it ended perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, had a nice button. I set a button on that story. And then Marisol Nichols returns for her second episode as Kelly. We talked about her last week. Probably best known as the Audrey Griswold in Vegas Vacation and from her time on Riverdale and Joe Anne Worley is Missus. Stevens. Warley is famous in the generation of those who maybe loved the Monkeys and watched Happy Days. She was one of the stars of laugh In, a massive comedy variety show that ran from nineteen sixty eight to nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 1: What was Laughing? It was like a did you watch it? Will? It was? Well, no, I was. I was very young in sixty eight. It was, Uh, it's all old TV. I don't know. I didn't watch it time last. It's like the variety shows.
Speaker 4: What is there used to be variety shows?
Speaker 2: Oh, Sonny and Share Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all variety. I never saw any of the music guests.
Speaker 2: It's when you had to be a triple threat to be in entertainment. It's so cool original, right.
Speaker 1: That would still be a thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, sabrina Christmas Special is a bit of a variety show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sabrinas Muppets, Sabrina's Muppets show.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, people who can do it all used to do hour long shows a wildly entertaining the.
Speaker 4: Calburnett too, right, like she correct, Yeah, it's that's like.
Speaker 1: A variety show. They've tried it. They've tried it.
Speaker 3: The Osbourne's had one, Jessica nick Lasche had one. I mean it's it's failed a couple of times.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't Yeah, it doesn't work anymore. I'm translated anymore.
Speaker 2: But kids TV fans may recognize her as Aunt Beulah on Sabrina and the Teenage Witch or Maggie on Wizards of Waverley Place. She would also morph into a voiceover legend. She was Wardrobe in the nineteen ninety one Beauty in the Beast movie, Miss Maples in the Goofy movie and a co worker of Will's on Kim Possible. Was she that's what it says.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I loved working with her. I remember it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Yes, great, we never recorded with anybody. There's three that room, I know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jumping into our recap, we are in Angela, Rachel and Sean's apartment. I can't wait until we get to the.
Speaker 1: It was so funny.
Speaker 2: We just made so much fun of it at the end of the last episode about not being able to keep keep tracking, then being like, all right, so now it's this, all right, let's remember it.
Speaker 1: And then the next episode, who's coming. We need one of those like investigation boards with all the lines.
Speaker 4: Just to track the apartment, Like if if one of our listeners wants to dive deep and write out a diagram of.
Speaker 2: This apartment a family tree.
Speaker 1: A family tree going all the way back to Turners. Yeah, it's the same apartment. Let's be honest. It's has every character, not the adults, but all the younger characters. Has every character lived there, every other character at some point.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, that's everybody and everybody everyone Will us has lived in the.
Speaker 2: Has lived in the army episode.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the last episode he was he was expecting to live there, and then yeah he's there.
Speaker 1: I mean he's the kid in this room and kick him out. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So Sean and Angela are setting the table for dinner, catching up on their day. Angela gives him a kiss and asks, are the kids all tucked in? He grins, All tucked in? Mommy and daddy can have some together time. The inmates hoot and holler at the innuendo, and now at the dinner table, Angela wonders, when was the last time we had a moment alone? Sean notes, certainly before the kids came. Angela lets out a sigh. Yeah, life was better then on cue, Corey and Tapega walk out of their bedroom, frowning and wearing button up pj's. Sean admits, honey, I hate the kids. Corey complains, we're still hungry, and to Panga's eyes widened as she points at the dining room table and yells like a caveman spaghetti. The couple sprints to the food, and Corey cheerfully wonders, do you have any baked goods or frozen treats? Angela is not amused. You're our closest friends, but we are sick and tired of you. Shawn ads, please get out and don't ever come back. Corey and Tapanga focus on spoonfuls of spaghetti and Corey laughs. They crack me up, these two, but Tapanga gets the message, maybe we should go back to our Corey asks whole are dump our sewer. Sean steps in. We'd love to hang out with you guys forever, but right now you're on this new marriage thing and we're on this new living together thing. Angela tries to relate. They're both couples, they're the same. But Shawn ads, you're married and we're happy. Sean puts his foot down, get out. They're serious. Corey nods. They understand. In fact, they never want to impose on their little life of sin.
Speaker 6: This is such a weird chair, so weird life actually sluts is wild.
Speaker 1: I don't understand, Like I still am. Like, so Sean moved into a different room than Angela.
Speaker 4: Yes, because there's three bedrooms and his own bedroom right in the same apartment.
Speaker 1: With his girlfriend, right, but now I think he's living You're sleeping on the floor in Angela's room, right, because to take it over and now we're going to kick you out, and I'm going to go back to that empty room.
Speaker 2: God, he can have my own room. Honestly, I do think the key to a happy marriage of separate houses. I'm just gonna pull that out there. To Pega venomously spits out, you make me sick. Corey scals sluts, slats. Is this the closest thing to a curse word? We get the dom triplets and then sluts and.
Speaker 1: Maybe when she says, I wouldn't use this to wipe my at those three things and it's all season seven phase do funny.
Speaker 2: They start their exits still wearing pj's and to Pega explains they'll just hang out with their other friends. Cory asks, you think you're our only friends in the world to Panga Pipes and well you're not. In Corey ads because we are a beloved couple. Sean's shuts the door in their faces without a second thought.
Speaker 1: It was strange to watch this that part of the scene knowing you had to pee. That's right, this is one of her one of our outtakes. As you right out there going like I have to pee's so I'm much to see the whole time going, Daniel has to.
Speaker 2: Be that's hilarious. Outside in the hallway, Corey whispers to Tapanga, you got any other friends? She responds, no, you, He whispers, shouts no, why would we do that? What are we going to do now? Topanga has no idea. Then we're in the student union. Angela and Rachel are sitting on the couch giggling, and Rachel confesses, I've never seen you so happy. What do we think? She whispers to her. Do we think it's some?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's horribly sexy and dirty? Right okay, right in my head, I won't.
Speaker 2: Even say, oh, really, wow, I love that you.
Speaker 1: Oh they were crazy stuff too? Well, everyone's a slut?
Speaker 2: No, true, I mean I did. I did obviously go she said something sexual about Sean, but I didn't actually go as far as to imagine.
Speaker 1: What it was. Girls talk about that stuff with other girls way more than guys talk about that stuff with O for sure, like way more like it's detail stuff with girls.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that when you're when you're younger, yes, yes, no, even yes, even okay, hold on you think.
Speaker 4: Now to yes on, hold on detail like I've asked Alex and be like wait, you guys compare notes on and like yes, I'm like Jesus.
Speaker 2: Wow, yes, wait do you think that's the case if there's like maybe something they're asking an opinion on, like I need I want to share something because I want to know how you guys feel about it and okay and not just like oh god, you writer, had we been to like not.
Speaker 1: That, like we don't do my wife my wife?
Speaker 4: No? Okay, friends, yes, friends of ours are like that in a sort of somewhat jokey way, or like they'll talk about hot guys like you know, like yeah, like in a way that I'm like if my guy friends don't ever.
Speaker 1: Talk about No, but you and I are very close and we're not having full on graphic sexual conversations whatever, it doesn't happen, you know. It's definitely women do that. Well, hold on, just.
Speaker 2: Women do that? They do, they can, they have I'm sure and there are I think to Writer's point, there are some women who are more comfortable about doing that. I would never unless it was I'm concerned. There's what are you laughing about?
Speaker 3: I'm just.
Speaker 1: Do your friends do you sit You have a lot of girlfriends do will you sit there? And they talk about sex stuff.
Speaker 4: No, I I feel like my wife tends to know the regularity of everybody else's sex life because women talk about that, they talk about and they're having sex or worse, it's like it's too much, it's too little whatever. That is a top of a conversation which I never have with my guy friends, Like no one's ever talking about like, yeah, no, it's it's I do have friends.
Speaker 2: That that will that will say things about like I'm in you know, we're we have a couple's therapists and it's been really good for us and we we do now schedule sex, which has been better for us, Like that kind of conversation. I don't have any friends that guys don't.
Speaker 4: Even have that let's start. I mean that's like, that's distinction number one. I don't think really we talk about you know.
Speaker 2: As boldly as we're going to say, well, women talk about that, I could also very boldly say, well, men's relation, men's male friendships? Do you talk about anything of substance? And yet and yes on this call, I know the answer to be yes. But there are quite lots of yes, quite a few male friendships that actually don't they talk about sports, what happened on the news, and and there's really that is how they feel like there, I had my friend time. But they're not actually talking about emotional feelings or personal or personal experiences or relationships. That's so absolutely you know, I think I think we're.
Speaker 1: Talking about other of their male friends behind one male friend's back.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: They don't do that either.
Speaker 2: They don't do that there, don't you know.
Speaker 4: But it's interesting because when I think about when I was younger, will like, think about being a teenager, you did.
Speaker 6: Talk about everything all the time, and you talked about that hopefully when you're nineteen, right right, but but that what you do have like that guy friendship where I mean like we would talk about sex, like we would talk about like.
Speaker 1: Then and you're like, okay, you know, I don't write, I want to hear exactly to know that.
Speaker 2: So much about why you share that stuff though, is like where else are you supposed to learn it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Like when I remember knowing that my friends had started having whether it was kissing or then beyond kissing with guys, and it was like, great, thank you tell me everything?
Speaker 1: And so you did what with what? And how like you the internet?
Speaker 2: So I know exactly telling you.
Speaker 1: How to do it. Oh god, I just have Susan sign a NDA every morning, so it's just the easiest week day everyone new one. I just have a slack a stack of them by the bed and like, here's today's.
Speaker 2: Okay, Angela can't wipe the smile off her face. That's because I haven't been. And so Rachel reveals that's why, I'm not going to get in the way of you and Sean. I'm gonna move out. Here we are again in that same storyline that also didn't make sense the first time. Why does she have to move through three bedrooms?
Speaker 4: Three bedrooms and she's going to get out of the way, so it just becomes Sean and Angela's apartment.
Speaker 1: Now, is that really what happens?
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's what that's what.
Speaker 1: That's what happens. You're going to double my rent.
Speaker 4: So now I don't get Like I was watching this episode, and especially by the end, I was like, but wait, Sean and Angela are going to break up in like ten episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't. It's so weird.
Speaker 2: But don't worry. By the end of this episode, you're no longer living there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't matter anyway, because everybody has the pinnacle of marriage, which is just leaning against your partner on some kind of couch and reading a paper. That's Alan and Amy do it. This is It's like if this is it, this is ultimate marriage. You're reading over my shoulder and I'm a little sweaty on this side.
Speaker 2: Sit over there, Yeah, space, get in, go to your house.
Speaker 1: Someday you are going to have separates.
Speaker 2: I would do it immediately. I would have I would have done it the day we got married. Cheucer, are you going to live in? I love separate houses. Get out of mind. I want just MySpace. Just you don't need to share that much. Angela is shocked. She insists Rachel, she's not in the way. Rachel shrugs.
Speaker 1: I know I'm not.
Speaker 2: But I got this offer to be a resident advisor at Britney Hall and I thought it'd be fun. Angela promises she doesn't need to move out. It's not like she and Sean are a family. Set upset, upset up on cue, Sean is tugged through the door by a massive Saint Bernard. I didn't remember this dog being on set at all.
Speaker 1: This dog.
Speaker 4: This began my love for big dogs, because I remember like hanging out with this dog all week or whatever the couple days, and I remember.
Speaker 1: Lying on him or her. This was a hymn. I think it was a hymn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember lying like, it's just I fell in love with it having a big dog, so I ended up. You know, my the only dog I've ever had as an adult was a Bernie Mountain dog, and it was in part because I loved having a big dog because of that.
Speaker 1: I remember that because I couldn't get up in between takes when the dog was lying on me, so the whole time in front of the audience, I just laid there in between every take with the dog. And that dog cute has been dead for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's thank you for sharing that with us. That's a good thing. Look, Angela, I got us a baby. Angela rushes over and pets the cute dog, and Sean notes, now it's like we got our own family. Rachel watches on and just announces I'm going to be an ra. Sean responds, good.
Speaker 1: For you, and it's the weirdest good for you reaction, Like you can't tell us he joking, is he not? It is the strangest reading.
Speaker 2: It was just like what this was just this is like the writers just got to what we're there, like what do we do with this character?
Speaker 1: But what do we do?
Speaker 4: This whole scene is like a weird like sub Boy meets World because it's like.
Speaker 1: These three just don't like it doesn't that's a weird beat. That was I'm gonna be an ra good.
Speaker 4: For you for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then the dog bar and rushes out the door, pulling Sean along with him. Angela and Rachel follow closely behind to the park. Then we see Eric, dressed in his work uniform, wiping down a table. A pretty girl walks by, and his mind instantly turns to mush as he follows her. Pretty girl, Pretty girl. She turns around and simply asks him it stands and jump up on the couch.
Speaker 1: Jump up on the couch, make a fight. He pulls the top hat off cases. Yeah, it's oh god. Do you think everything went down hail with these three characters? When Jack and Rachel and Eric no longer live together, I guess like if they just kept them in the same apartment the whole time for the Beast stories, then maybe Maitland would have something to do and Jack and Eric would have something. The second they split him up, it was like, then what was the point? Yeah, because it was supposed to be Corey shown that whole click and then and now you're breaking us up? So what the hell is the point of doing?
Speaker 4: And there's so much more they could have done because they spent so much time just on the love triangle between the three of you.
Speaker 1: But what if they introduced another guy, another girl.
Speaker 4: But there's things you could have done at that apartment, like the regular like apartment living, roommate situations.
Speaker 1: You can easily have given Maitland something to do to where it's like she's with Jack, she really likes Jack, and then all of a sudden she's starting to have feelings for Eric and Eric doesn't feel the same way now. And I mean, there's so many ways to play with that, and they just went.
Speaker 2: Nah, Yeah, Well, I definitely I don't think watching the season of Boy Meets World that what we're missing is more characters. I am not getting the vibe. Then bringing in another guy I tried though into season seven would have helped.
Speaker 1: It worked in this episode with Nicole Eggert.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting that we just dropped school completely, like there's nothing about college.
Speaker 1: Is education learned eighth grade history? Last episode? It's true bag, Yeah, and that's what Alaska became the fiftieth state. I mean there's a lot to do in college, right, Like just this is just our hangout spot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She asks who's in charge here? Eric creepily responds, you are now do things to me?
Speaker 1: Iw esus ill.
Speaker 2: Thankfully, Jack intervenes, but he's just as awkward. Introducing himself as the student union manager. He boasts that everything she sees is managed by him. The store manager. Eric doesn't appreciate Jack's interruptions, so he jumps back in bedwetter. You can tell her Jack, She's gonna find out anyway. Eric finally asks the new girl's name, and she matter of factly states, I'm your new boss. Eric's still resourced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just give her a Southern ax.
Speaker 2: It's the same storyline, same same story. Eric repeats name, name, name, name, name name. She composes herself and says name is Bridget. Over to be funny girl, pretty girl, pretty girl.
Speaker 1: It's all it's crazy, It's like, what's happening.
Speaker 2: Name is Bridget Murphy. Eric grabs her hand and kisses it. Murphy like the bed. Jack interjects to understandably say vomit. Eric trudges on, If I may be so bold, how did somebody I can't even imitate you? How did somebody as you get to be manager of the student union.
Speaker 1: I want to see what this page looked like written?
Speaker 4: What was written in that spot yet?
Speaker 1: And also I wondered if it was in the script that you take her hand.
Speaker 4: Like you do right, because it's such a funny.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, And I'm like, did we'll just do that? Or is it in the script and grabs her hand? I don't know. I wanted to see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she smiles. I know a guy, Jack asks who, and she brags, so may call him the chancellor of this university. I, however, like to call him daddy.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: Why did anyone on the writing staff think that the chancellor of this university was gonna have give the audience some sort of like.
Speaker 1: Not Chancellor Murphy, not Chancellor Murphy. Yeah, none of it.
Speaker 4: No, I mean really it should be you know, my uncle Feene you know already done obviously, but like any sort of yeah, because right now there's creating.
Speaker 2: A cameras my dad William, my dad.
Speaker 1: His other family. None of it makes none of it made any sense. You also wonder if she was supposed to do three episodes and only did this one, was he going to come back? And also like how how was it planned? Because if what a drag is next, which is clearly Jack and Eric spending their time as that's the a story is we're dressed like women to avoid a bully. She wasn't in that anyway, so he probably was originally. I mean, yeah, they must have had sound plan to have this love triangle going on, but literally ends with me dropping on a frame to suck her toe. That's the last stop, saying it please, the last we see her to me, Danielle, me sucking on toes or spiders. You've got one room or another room. The last room is just is just spiders, and the right room is just me sucking feet. And you've gotta pick one. Which room do you take? Take one?
Speaker 2: I take the toe room, absolutely, But boy, oh boy, I don't want to think about it.
Speaker 4: She'd be vomiting the whole time. Oh god, oh god, should we look up Nicole Eggert on wicked feet feet?
Speaker 2: Eric leans in and seductively quips, I like to call him daddy too. Jack grabs his friend by the ear with a warning. Her father is Chancellor Murphy.
Speaker 1: Chance off, I'm Chancellor Murphy. Got the way with its.
Speaker 2: Bridget laughs, that's right, boys, Nepotism rears its ugly head. Eric Hoffson complains, nepotism. It's nepotism. Jack see's right through him. You don't even know what that means. Eric instantly shouts, why should I. Bridget's happy to explain, I own you. I can do anything I want with you, and I probably will because I'm a spoilt little brat who always gets her way. Just thanks tell for you are.
Speaker 4: Like literally well, think about the first line she's Eric says, is if you're in charge, I'll do whatever you want. It's like and it seems like a joke, but that is story. That is the extended the story. It's there's no nuance, there's no human character nothing, there's no regular behavior.
Speaker 1: It's just literally low.
Speaker 2: Also, her arrival and presence doesn't change either one of them in the slightest like there isn't some nothing just it's on.
Speaker 1: It's the it's it's the most pointless storylining character we've ever had on the show, like ever, the bear had more to do. It's so weird.
Speaker 2: Eric seems excited by this, but Jack keeps him grounded. They sit down next to her on the couch and simultaneously cross their legs. Eric announces, so far, I don't hear anything I don't like. She nods, good, go clean the toilets. He giggles and runs off. Thank you. What are you laughing?
Speaker 5: Out?
Speaker 4: Writer like, yeah, no, sorry, go on.
Speaker 1: I missed the monkey.
Speaker 3: I missed the monkey story.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a fully fledged, wonderful character developed peace compared to this. This that's like an Academy award.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, give the Emmy posthumously the Emmy. Give the Monkey episode of the.
Speaker 1: Organ Grinder and the Monkey is like, man, that was just high quality. Is there is there a part of you that's slightly impressed that they did worse than the best story last week? I know not, there's a part of me that was almost like this is this is impressive? This is impressive. I didn't think it was possible, but this is impressive.
Speaker 6: Just when I think they can't top themselves, there's another bottom to this bay.
Speaker 1: I forgot there's a floor under east the bottom of the barrel. So bad.
Speaker 2: Bridget turns her focus to Jack. I understand it must be somewhat embarrassing for you, having once held this position. And now we get a little bit. I don't get she's becoming the manager.
Speaker 1: Okay, because the chancellor of the school can place his daughter in the manager of the study store, which is.
Speaker 2: A very high pay, and we all know Chanler Murphy's power. Come on, yeah, I love this little bit of just shaming her for her body too. Jack explains, no, I'm okay. What would be embarrassing, though, is if I let some obviously spoiled She said it so yes, yep, and surgically augmented little daddy skirl ruffle my feathers.
Speaker 1: I think it just meant he knew that she was born with a vestigial tail, right, she had it, she had it removed. That's what he was talking about. I gotta go for the subtext, Daniel. This is high important, deep stuff.
Speaker 2: That's just something that happens to every rich kid. Because how did he know that? Because does one.
Speaker 1: Comes with money?
Speaker 2: She's intrigued. Are you gonna kiss me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Jack is unfazed. I'm gonna kiss you.
Speaker 1: Never by the way, their kids would be studding gorgeous, I mean studding.
Speaker 2: Do you think I don't understand good looks and a rich daddy. Yeah, you and I are cut from the same velvet cloth, Miss Bridget. He assures her. I know how to protect myself from you, and I know how to protect my friends too. On cue, Eric marches back out to declare toilets are clean. Boss, oh and hey look. He places a plunger on his head and brings back a version of the cartman voice. I'm at teletubby. Bridget is seemingly pleased with her brainless employee, and Jack is embarrassed. He's not my friend. Eric is still balancing the plunger on his head. Not the purple one though a little bit of gay panic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also ad libbed gay panic. That was on me.
Speaker 2: You give yourself credit for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ad lib that line like the second or third take, which is why you heard people laugh, because it was just in the zeitgeist about it was Jerry Folwell or somebody at the time coming out saying like the purple teletubby is clearly gay, This anamorphous blob of a thing, like, well, you know what it was because they hadn't know it had to try. They all had weird things. They had shifts on their head and it was an upside down triangle on the purple one. And he was like, well, that obviously means gay. And it was like, oh and so that, yeah, that became a whole thing. So yeah, that was me. I would love to blame the writers for that one, but I completely and totally threw out a gay panic joke and.
Speaker 2: Take credit for that.
Speaker 4: I do, I do well.
Speaker 2: Now in an empty, brand new house, Corey has walked to Panga into the living room, covering her eyes. He finally reveals to her their location, a spacious, newly painted home for sale. Behold our future. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and some kind of nook to Panga is baffled, Why would you take us here? Why would you take us to this house we could never afford?
Speaker 4: Okay, I got a response from Shiloh, Oh great, unhappy mcnam amazing.
Speaker 1: What did that come from? Feels like it was a Nate Brewer invention.
Speaker 2: Oh you said, yep, all right, funny. Now you got to reach out to Nate and ask.
Speaker 1: Him if that was his he's just gonna write back new phone. Who dis I'll send him the same thing. Unhappy mcnam.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: See what he says. Have you, by the way, have you seen the thing? I think I sent it to you both. It was either on Instagram or one of the other things about the Are you going to get into that.
Speaker 2: We do have the clip. Yeah, we have the clip. We're going to play it for everyone. Okay, good, you'll see you'll see it, writer, you'll see writer. I love that there's always some dynamic where two of us know what's going on and the other one has and we're always like you just told you, you'll find out.
Speaker 1: We get it breaks down like in those situations.
Speaker 4: How much of our audience is on the side of the knowers and how much of the audience is on the unknown?
Speaker 1: Like, how much of an audience do you think.
Speaker 2: Knows about Clovicular You want an actual guess, I would say of our audience where I think the smallest percentage of our listeners are twenty five and younger. Yeah, I would say two percent of our listeners know about Clivikiler.
Speaker 4: Okay, Really, I think it's in the zeitgeist.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's something I ever heard of. This is honestly sounds like something you need to take medicine for.
Speaker 2: We could do a poll.
Speaker 1: We just have do have articular Are we making this guy it's a guy, it's a guy guy? Can we making this guy more famous by doing this?
Speaker 2: No, No, we're not going to put a picture of him or any of that. We're just going to do a poll.
Speaker 1: Have you had you heard just sent back about ten hearts?
Speaker 2: Oh? He loves it?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 2: Was that a him invention?
Speaker 5: I think so?
Speaker 1: I mean we used to say it all the time, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: God's cute. He still asks if we could afford it?
Speaker 1: Do you like it?
Speaker 2: She crosses her arms. We can't afford it.
Speaker 1: We're all He's had a textback. We're all just Bozo's on the bus, which is something I don't remember.
Speaker 4: He's he's going deeper.
Speaker 1: Oh no, gosh, she.
Speaker 2: Got Maybe he needs to say it to you. Maybe if you heard it in a voice, you would know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe the ten hearts mean means you having heart problems.
Speaker 2: He begs her, don't do that, you're becoming a negative little missy. Tapega explains, it is just cruel to take a person who's this close to losing it, this close and taunt her with this cute, little, adorable house which she'll never ever live in. And I realized here in the scene that Tapega is wearing an exact outfit Danielle would wear today, just really cute sweater jeans with a little bit of a flare at the bottom, and a cute pair of shoes, so tennis shoes.
Speaker 1: I also have to say, except maybe season one, season seven to Panga is arguably my favorite Tapanga.
Speaker 2: Oh agreed. There are some moments that are just there are some moments that are weird aside from her for you know, making excuses for Corey's weird behavior. I don't understand, like in the coming up where I go liyap Liyeah, those are just like Michael, I am like Michael read yes, Like I don't get that. But I do, in general love this version of her.
Speaker 1: Yes, she has character agency and you're having yes, yeah, it's and hitting your like you're finding jokes where there aren't any and we're just playing more and yeah, this this this works for Tapanga.
Speaker 2: I agree. Thank you, Corey Gritts. So you like this house? She screams at the top of her lungs, I love this house. Why would you do this to me? And then a brightly dressed lady appears atop the stairs and cheerfully chirps hello, you must be my happy happy.
Speaker 1: But he told the audience to go crazy crazy. Don't you remember her kids from laughing? This is such a weird tradition on our show.
Speaker 4: I guess sitcoms in general they're like cookie side character for one scene with a big voice. Because we did like the wedding planner, yep, we had. I just feel like this is such a trope initcoms.
Speaker 2: It is a sitcom trope for sure, and by the way, potential for great drive buys, and in this case, I think it is a great drive by. For example the hair cutting episode, Oh wow, you know that's a talk about a perfect drive buy. So it is a trope for a reason, because when it works, it works well, it works well.
Speaker 1: Isn't there an Emmy for that? Isn't I think there's a guest star Emmy. Isn't there?
Speaker 2: Yes? I think there is.
Speaker 1: It always goes to like the most famous person, right of course, like Lane guest stars like on Star trek right.
Speaker 2: Tpanga asks if she's the real estate agent, and the lady chuckles, oh, yes, i am. We love that. But she greats blinds down the stairban and start to close the door and introduce herself, Edith Stevens, at your service, Oh how much do you love this breathtaking starter cottage with an ook? Do we think it's weird that Corey didn't bother to let his mother know the possible real estate agent herself?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Well, mom says the house, skip the household and then fill it with art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ex that's right, it's the joy. Topanga threatens the agent. I'm reporting you to the Better Business Bureau. Immediately, the woman is confused. Whatever for Topeka points to Corey, this man's a dope. You knew that after a few minutes of talking with him, and then you led him to believe we could afford this house when the truth is he can barely afford a sandwich. Edith laughs, My dear missus, Matthews, it is my joy to place young couples and cozy surroundings such as these. She grabs Corey into Panka's hands tight like most other couples. You think, I can't afford it. She then raises their hands high in the air and screeches, but you can. I just I've thoroughly enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: She's she's great.
Speaker 2: Tapanga is dumbfounded. How could they possibly afford an eighty thousand dollars house? Wow, the lady grins, very simple, over thirty years, I've already explained it to your husband. And she scratches Corey's chin, which is a decision. Tapega commands the lady, I told you not to talk to him. Corey argues, she can talk to me, and the agent degrees, yeah, I can talk to him. She turns to Corey and sings out the instructions. Remember, just a trifle of a down payment and a pittance of a mortgage and two living parents with a pen who can sign. This is the scene writer that has become social media fodder.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thirty years later, here is Instagram user Freddie Smith. He is at FMS MIH three one nine updating everything Corey and Tapanga hope for. But now, in twenty twenty five, let's play the clip eight thousand dollars house. It's very simple. Over thirty years, just to trifle down payment and a pittance of a mortgage and two living parents with a pan foo can sell.
Speaker 7: So that clip was from Boy Meets World, and that episode aired in nineteen ninety nine, and I couldn't help myself, so I had to run the numbers. The show took place in Philly, and I saw that the median house price was around eighty thousand dollars in nineteen ninety nine. Now, core Intopanga were high school students without a job, so they couldn't qualify. But what about the median household income? Back then, it's forty thousand dollars, which is about thirty three hundred dollars a month, and a three percent down payment on the median house was only twenty four hundred dollars, So somebody in Philly in nineteen ninety nine didn't even have to save one month's income to put a down payment on this house. And the interest rates were around seven percent, just like they are today. So with principal interest, property tax insurance, and private mortgage insurance, the total payment was seven hundred and fifty dollars a month to get the median house in Philly, and you're making thirty three hundred, so that's about what twenty five percent, So a family making forty grand could take care of their entire mortgage and just one week. And then I wanted to see, well, let's just see what happened to the prices in Philadelphics. We know the averages around the country, but let's look at Philly. Eighty thousand was the median price in nineteen ninety nine. It's now two hundred and fifty thousand, so below the average for the nation. But the income was forty thousand for the median household. Now it's sixty thousand. So the housing price even in Philly went up over two hundred percent in the last twenty five years, but the income only went up fifty three percent. So even in smaller cities, metro cities, no matter where we look, I don't think I have found a city in America where the housing and income was even close to keeping up.
Speaker 2: That's isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: Crazy? Yeah? When you busts down the numbers that you're looking at it like you can't do that anymore? Wow? Yeah. So the thing, it's weird because the kind of the story that Alan and Amy are talking about and want Corey in too. Panget To experience so.
Speaker 4: Much harder is impossible.
Speaker 1: It's almost unattainable. I mean literally almost done it. Well, we've got nothing. We've got to scrape together something to get a down payment. You can't really do that anymore. Wow.
Speaker 2: Nope, we could not shut up this episode. I don't know what got into us, but I hope you like it. You can listen to part two of this episode later today. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Pod Meets World Show, or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com