Speaker 1: From the heart where Innovation, money and power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hide and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline Hyde at Bloomberg's Wheldo quarters in.
Speaker 3: New York, and I'm Ed Ludlow out here in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Coming up.
Speaker 2: We'll break down the battle between Twitter and Threads. Is the new platform hits seventeen million users like Elon Musk's company threatens legal action.
Speaker 3: Against Meta Plus, Ali Barber surges as China finds Ang Group and ten Cent, signaling the end of a regulatory crackdown could be near. We'll have more details.
Speaker 2: Ahead, and we'll get inside into Apple's vision pro plans as it read is a slow rollout of the three and a half thousand dollars headset. All that so much more to calm. Let's stick with threads and pieces, say Bloomg opinion columnists Davely has been writing all about it. It talks about how it was like run into a destination wedding with familiar faces but a pretty unfamiliar setting. Eventually, someone might be brave enough to quietly mutter, So do you think it'll last.
Speaker 4: That's Ring M.
Speaker 2: Blomberg, opinion tech columnist Daily. With all the analogies, it was a beautiful analogy of a destination wedding. Before I get into the wedding gifts that we're giving them of our privacy data and the money that they might be able to reap off the back of it, I want to ask just how this day too, of the destination wedding is going. Is the party still there is at hot people remaining dedicated?
Speaker 4: Well, I think day.
Speaker 5: Two may be the wedding itself. Right, everyone's here, The people who perhaps slow from other places have arrived.
Speaker 4: Soon.
Speaker 5: I guess we're going to start having questions about what exactly the staying power of this network is. And I think already you're starting to see people sort of pick apart what the future of Threads might be depending on what they're going to be allowed to do on the platform, allowed to say on the platform. There's been some unease about how tightly linked it is to Instagram, for example, and also people have been saying, well, where are all the feat If you go on Twitter, you can do spaces, you can do direct messages, you can do many other things that right now threads can't do. Adam Musseeri, the CEO of Instagram, he's there saying, don't worry, we're working on it.
Speaker 4: We're going to get to that.
Speaker 5: You just have to be patient, because what, of course they did was because Elon Musk was having such trouble with Twitter. They moved it forward so they could capitalize on that trouble. And so it's not perhaps quite as ready as they might have wanted it to be at the point that they brought it onto the market. But that initial reaction seventy million people, even though it's Facebook and they have this big head start with Instagram obviously, getting seventy million people to download a new app in the space of a couple of days, I mean, it's a remarkable feat of onboarding.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Now you're mentioning your musk in a wedding, there's always that moment where you can say, does anyone here perhaps speak against this nutal? And I feel like Elil Musk's that guy who's just walked into the church and saying, I protest you cannot get married.
Speaker 4: What is going on?
Speaker 2: What is and what is the realism of this legal letter? Because he sends a few around as the mistership prop.
Speaker 5: He does, he does, and the particular lawyer that sent the letter has been Elon Musk's right hand man in all of his legal battles, and you know, I've been in the court room for many of them. I mean, look, until we see the substance of any complaint, I think it's really hard to note, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, because the.
Speaker 5: Letter made some claims that there was people at Meta that had been taken from Twitter purposely to build threads, even.
Speaker 2: Though Twitter have lost so many employing white.
Speaker 5: I mean, they let them go themselves and perhaps they've gone on to new jobs at Meta. They've said no form of Twitter employees were involved in the creation of threads, and so I think it's really up to Elon Musk and his lawyer to bring that evidence and say here's why we think we have a complaint. There's a big jump between threatening to take legal action and actually taking legal action, and so I think until we see that moment, that's when we really know how serious Elon Musk feels about being copied by Meta.
Speaker 3: Just a quick point, Karen Dave, I read that letter that was sent on must behalf to Zuckerberg and Meta's legal counsel.
Speaker 4: So what's funny.
Speaker 3: Linda Yakarino, the CEO of Twitter, is not one of the co signatories, and she's not in copy either. It is sent on Elon Musks behalf to Meta Dave.
Speaker 4: What do you make of that?
Speaker 5: Well, I think this is another question, isn't it of the degree to which Linda Yakarino is in charge of Twitter at all? I mean, when Twitter was having its issues last weekend with the big rape limiting problems where you could only see a certain number of tweets, the CEO of the company didn't say anything for several days, and her interactions were only to like the tweets that Elon Musk had been posting. And even when she was first put into that job, I wrote at the time, and many others did, that there's only ever really going to be one person in charge of Twitter, and that's Elon Musk. And we've just seen that yet again with like you say this letter. One of the things I think is striking about the lawyer in particular is that it wasn't that long ago that he was describing his role as no longer being at Twitter, and that he was still Elon Musk's personal lawyer, but his business with Twitter had taken a backseat and the company was dealing with itself.
Speaker 4: And so this may be an instance.
Speaker 5: And we've seen it from Elon Musk in the past, this maybe an instance where he's just incensed personally and wants to go after this. But again, until we see exactly what he thinks his case is, it's very hard to address.
Speaker 4: You know what the merits are of that.
Speaker 3: Let's get back to the technology and the platform, right You point out in the Bloomberg opinion column that the onboarding is a big part of this. You can just simply take your Instagram following convert it over to threads. And you know, Caroline's heard me say this a few times in the last few days. I went back and looked at Twitter's s one. It took them a year to get from thirty million users to seventy million between March or twenty ten and March twenty eleven. Met has done it in forty eight hours.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's clearly a huge competitive advantage to have Instagram in your back pocket to launch a new social network. I think one of the interesting comparisons that I've seen recently is Facebook Meta has only managed to get two hundred thousand people into the metaverse, right, so this has already been vastly more successful than what their big strategy was meant to have been. I mean, look, it's being able to bring those Instagram followers over is obviously a great benefit.
Speaker 4: What I do think would be an issue.
Speaker 5: And something that I've heard people sort of talking about, is you know, what does that say about the nature of what Threads is going to be Because Twitter was a very diverse grouping of people on the Internet, whereas Instagram was particularly popular with influencers and creators and some of the more sort of celebrity culture online. And I think one of the risks might be that while Threads may be a Twitter killer, so to speak, it may not eventually be a Twitter replacement. You know, there could be a shift of people going from one platform to the other, but we might still lose what made Twitter a worthwhile place to be on the Internet, which is why, you know, when you look at some of these new alternatives, the smaller alternatives like blue Sky and T two and spill and we don't have time to say them all, I suspect they might be feeling quite downheartened by the fact that Meta have done this, But actually I think in time there will still be space for these, for these smaller alternatives.
Speaker 2: And to that point you mentioned their Marsterden. There's also Blue Sky. These are decentralized. And what's been interesting is this talk of a fediverse and the fact that eventually Threads could be built upon, you know, one of these overall protocols where you could take your people, your followers with you and share them amongst all these sorts of social media platforms. When do you think that might happen? Because we got teased it and then it didn't go live, of course, because they sort of pushed forward the outlet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's certainly something they've committed to. I'd like to see it quite soon. I think that would be one thing that could convince me that Meta is serious about being more open with the Internet.
Speaker 4: This is them.
Speaker 5: I think it depends what they see the value of threads being right, if Threads is a way to bring people into the Facebook family of apps as they call them, with the view of having more engagement on Instagram, more engagement on the Facebook Blue app, the main app, which is really not the place where things happen anymore, then it could potentially be useful.
Speaker 4: But yes, you're right, they could lose the ability.
Speaker 5: To own this entire community, put their ads in there, monetize it as much as possible. And that's where I think the most difficult thing for Threads is going to be almost fighting against the instincts of Meta the company. They want to have the control, they want to eventually monetize it. You'd think, if history is to go by, monetize it within an inch of its life, basically, and yet that might be the death knel for it. So the degree to which it will be open with these other with the rest of the fediverse, that feels like a very interesting experiment. Whether Metro is going to be corporately comfortable with that, I think that's a big test.
Speaker 3: What was it that Jack Dorsey said, Caro, we wanted flying cars and instead we got seven Twitter clones debate for another program, I think Dave Lee Bloomberg Opinion check out his latest opinion column on bloombog dot com. Thank you very much, all right, the show continues coming up. Today's June jobs report showed relatively strong gains in the labor market We're going to talk to Kara Brennan, Chief People OFFICO officer over at Lattice about the trends that she's seeing in the technology sector. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 2: Looks some pretty mixed macro signals today from the US labor market.
Speaker 4: Let's go through them.
Speaker 2: Because jobs growth melling out a little bit, they're still increasing at a faster than expected pace. In the last month. US added two hundred and nine thousand non farm jobs in June, making it the smallest advance it's the end of twenty twenty, but those wage gains still show the inflationary pressure of this pretty resilient labor market, and of course unemployment rate coming in at three point six percent. We're lucky enough to be able to discuss all of this. The Cara Brennan, San Francisco based Chief People officer over atlettis great towsent time with your Caaren. What did you make? Are you glass half empty? Glass off full? We somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 6: I'd say I'm probably somewhere in the middle. What I can say is that among our five thousand customers who are chief people officers, heads of people, there's a lot of discussion about what the second half of this year looks like in preparation for next year. I do think that the medium term, people are optimistic from sitting in my seat, because we're seeing really great talent in the market, and we're seeing some softening in some of our businesses as it relates to software sales and others. Is softening of the of the really tough times that we've been through over the past six to twelve months. So we're seeing those glimmers, but I can tell you that right now we're still in a place where we're all very conservative. Headcount is really being thoughtful in terms of who we're going to hire, where we're going to hire, and we're keeping a very close eye on the compensation data because what we're seeing is reflecting what these broader trends are as well well.
Speaker 3: In the technology sector. What do wages look like? How competitive is it from it but using compensation as a proxy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what's interesting is our data legs behind the real market. We know it does by about six months. So we're still seeing data that was from the end of last year that's still very high. And the hope is is that we will see some of those rates come down ultimately so that we can have better balance in terms of our salary spin, which, as everyone knows, is around a seventy percent of our total spin as businesses. We are starting to see that. We're starting to see that in some of those really spiky roles are top engineering roles, some of our roles on the sales side. We're seeing some of that come down, But it's not across the board.
Speaker 2: I mean, AI, I can imagine prompt engineers, you name it are going to be still pretty demanded for and recompensed in light of that car up. Do you feel though, the bracing that we had in the tech sector of yet more job losses, yet larger ten twenty percent cuts, is that a thing of the past Now people right size to a certain degree.
Speaker 4: In general.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's what I'm hearing from our customers, the folks that are now focused on the people that they have in seat, knowing that the growth is slowed for the second half of this year. But I do feel like people feel like their hands are on the wheel now and they're able to look forward to the next six months with the plan that's realistic. It's very different than this time last year when nobody knew what was happening, and we were all trying to manage to it.
Speaker 2: Well, said Ed. I mean when we look at the broader labor data and on FUM payrolls, it's very hard to really discern what's happening at a tech level, and indeed how broad the tech issues are the asyncratic to that particular sector or speak more broadly to for the overall environment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, let me jump in here Carol real quick, because I think Caroline's raised a really good point that what I hear from founders, public company executives and everyone in between doesn't match the data. Think about the challenger Christmas in Gray. We put so much emphasis on that and all the layoffs that were announced, but those were announced, not necessarily enacted. And there are loads of companies I know that are scrambling to find people they're desperate to hire. Why is there some inconsistency there?
Speaker 6: Think consistency is that we had a period of time, the two years during the pandemic where we were just hiring to hire, honestly, and what we've done is gone back to what the foundation of good businesses and knowing that we have to build for the future state, and we have to have the right people in the right seats. So what has happened on the HR side is there been lots of meetups, lots of webinars, lots of discussion about org design and how to make sure that you're optimizing the performance and productivity of the people who are in the seat. We know that because that's what Lattis does. We're a talent management platform. We've seen the usage of our tool increase month over month and year every year from our customers. People want to do a better job of managing the talent they have. It's not a hiring spree anymore.
Speaker 4: Carr.
Speaker 3: You know this sector. You know Silicon Valley. Elon Musk and his lawyer have threatened to sue Meta claiming abusive trade secrets and through the employment of Twitter employees. Can you enforce an NDA in Silicon Valley? What do you make of that situation?
Speaker 6: I can't speak to Elon and Meta's particular situation. What I can tell you is, in my experience, we're very clear in Silicon Valley that the state of California does not allow non competes to be enforced. For the most part, depends on the specific situation. And I've seen lots of CEOs and lots of nasty letters in the course of my career. And know that sitting in the seat that you move on, you bring your talent in and you're not as concerned about non competees as you might be in other states.
Speaker 3: Car Brennan, Chief people of Sir laddis always on the heartbeat of the tech sector. What's going on in jobs? Thank you so much for your time time for talking tech. First up, Samsung reported a forty six billion dollar decline in sales, it's worst in quarterly revenue since two thousand and nine. The tech company's operating profit plus ninety six percent, but still ahead of market expectations. Is the demand for electronics and memory chips has slowed, and US audit officials have started a new round of inspections for New York listed Chinese companies. The inspection comes there's a trade walk on technology from AI to chip manufacturing continues to mount. Tensions between the world's two largest economies. Plus China imposed more than one billion dollars in fines on tech giants and and ten cents, signaling an end to a crackdown on a sector that wiped out billions in market value and derailed the world's biggest IPO.
Speaker 2: Carol, And let's dig in on that because some policy saving mag News is Isabelle Lee is with us to just break down why the shares have popped quite so much for the likes of Ali Baba for ten cent, it's a hefty fine. But is it just relief that this over it?
Speaker 7: Definitely is? It sounds kind of counterintuitive, But then many of the analysts are saying that, okay, maybe this will put a lid to the multi year crack that we've seen in the tech sector that costs some of the Wall Street's biggest firms to call China uninvestable, and we've seen some of the biggest companies shed billions of dollars. But then now if that's going to be over and they can move on, and there are some speculations that, oh, maybe this can pave the way for another renewed attempt for ant to have an IPO. Possibly, but more people are just relieved. Even the NaSTA China Golden Dragon indexes up around three percent.
Speaker 4: What is moving on look like? Then?
Speaker 3: You know, we talk about the breakup of Ali Baba as an example, and what might be spun off.
Speaker 7: Yes, exactly. So we know that China has been really cracking down on the tech firms and this may look like the end of it. Like Ali Baba CEO Jack Ma came in March, there's a renewed appetite to kind of reinvigorate the tech sector and that's how many people are seeing. But this thing is an ANTIPO isn't looking like it's going to happen anytime soon because their bottom line is really not looking good. Their December earnings quarter was down fifty six percent. And if you go technically, if you want a list in China so called a share market, you shouldn't have had a change in corporate leadership in the past three years two years for the Shanghai Star market and one year for Hong Kong. But still at least hopes are there and that's probably what's buoying the market.
Speaker 2: Just take us back a little bit as well as to what's shifted in China's mindsot why have we sort of come to the end of the scrutiny we have.
Speaker 7: At least people are saying it's because when China locked down during the pandemic it really wasn't good for their economy, and when they were going to reopen, even strategists here in Wall Street thought that there would be a boom and that global growth will write on that, but that so called boom didn't quite happen. So I think they're just really trying to revive their sector, and tech is the biggest so why not try to do that? And if it will be good for China, it'll also be good for the world, like even for here in the US. So it's really just that shift in mentality and who wants to be called uninvestable?
Speaker 4: I think, so that's one.
Speaker 3: All right, Bloombergs Isabelle Lee. Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. Ed Ludlow here in San Francisco, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline heid in New York. Let's just check in on the new favorite platform for everyone to be getting to know each other a slightly different destination.
Speaker 4: We're all talking about.
Speaker 3: Threads flat on a Friday talking Threads up almost four percent over five sessions, excluding July the fourth. Let's talk more on Threads and bring in Stephen Wolf Perera, Three Parts Studios, Chief business officer. You are a multi platform entertainment company. I know you you're close to Threads and how it came about. Did what you saw on launch with Threads match what Meta told you it was going to be?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 8: I mean it's just been I think, exceeding everyone's expectations for it to launch and for literally the onboarding to be less than four seconds. Cause if you have an Instagram account, you effectively just poured over all that information data and now you're able to kind of bring that over. It's just been wildly successful, I think, beyond everyone's expectations. I read a stat today that was over fifty million subscribers already on the platform. So when you have three billion users across all of metas you know apps, you know being used every single day, uh, three billion people being able to kind of solve that cold star problem of getting audience, you know, finding how to bring your followers over onto a new platform.
Speaker 4: I think they've really done well.
Speaker 2: H You are someone who helps tell stories. How are brands telling stories on this new platform? How playful? How how different are we seeing things evolve over that?
Speaker 4: I I think that's a great point, Caroline.
Speaker 8: I mean to see some of the brands really understand that this is a different medium and it's not images, right, it's not video, it's text, and so being very witty understanding how do you have your brand voice come through? I think that something got a lot of brands are excited about because right.
Speaker 4: Now it's fun. It is positive.
Speaker 8: You don't have all the trolls and all the cesspool of so many different other platforms. So the fact that you have brands like American Eagle, Wendy's, you know, just you know, follow some of their threads and you know, it's it's funny. And I feel like that's kind of this gone by era of the early days of social where people were really excited to kind of open up the app and see what people were saying, what brands were saying, and of course what creators are going to be saying, including celebrities.
Speaker 3: Stephen, just an update for you and our Bloomberg Technology audience when you were racing over to our La studio, Mark Zuckerberg updated, it's seventy seven zero million now on board onto threads. So there you go.
Speaker 4: But it's interesting.
Speaker 8: I think he said something actually in the thread talking about he wasn't really thinking about monetization until they hit a billions describers and so obviously this is one of the fastest app launches in history. Certainly very exciting to see this trajectory. But let's see that billion dollar or that billion subscriber threshold and see what's going to happen when they hit that.
Speaker 2: Soon that billion, I think it was like on clear path to a billion. What do you think about the monetization options here and how they do that while also pretending well eventually to be within the federverse to be decentralized. Is it that the advertising remains in the app and then if it's moving across to different use cases and masterden you wouldn't be advertised against like what wore the discussions like and can.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I just got back from ken Lyons the International Festival of Advertising Creativity Alvin Bowles, who's met as new Global VP of their Global Business group. Alvin is now kind of overseeing what brands are going to be doing on their platform across all the different apps you know, from obviously Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook Blue.
Speaker 4: But the reality is this was.
Speaker 8: Something that was really being you know, I think on everyone's lips trying to understand how are we going to really integrate how we're going to use this and certainly when can we actually buy ads across you know, the threads, you know, kind of engagement and users and targeting advertising. I think all that is going to be in a wait and see because again, I think they want to really build the engagement, build the audience. And when you think about celebrities, you know, certainly I work with al Hindu the best. He's the biggest Latino actor.
Speaker 4: In the world.
Speaker 8: You know, he is a comedian, so you know, he's excited about getting onto threads to kind of talk about ways to engage his audience in you know, certainly lots of different languages. So when you see brands really trying to figure out when can we engage, I think there's going to be a little bit of a weight and see from metap because they really want to make sure that it's a safe place that they want the positivity and the fun.
Speaker 3: So how do you now think about Twitter and what was the talk about Twitter can lyon? You know, is this to kind of eat Twitter's lunch scenario to your mind?
Speaker 8: So well, it's at a little bit of an inflection point. I know, lots of people like to dunk on Twitter. And again, Linda's been there for you know, eleven seconds, right, so certainly she is going to uh have her work out out for her. But the reality is, you know, Twitter wasn't uh represented at camlines the way they used to be. Uh, you know, there used to be a big Twitter beach that was no longer there. They didn't uh have that space. But obviously they're focused on a really big vision and a big plan around X, and so I would say don't count them out. They obviously are trying to do something different. They want to take it into a different direction. Elon obviously is thinking about taking this into that super app of X.
Speaker 4: So I feel that Linda is really.
Speaker 8: Smart and obviously she is an active dialogue with so many different brands and advertisers. And when you see you know kind of what folks are doing, whether it's you know, Marsa Thalberg over at Sea World, or you're looking at Deacon Morgan Chase and you know Carla Hassen, or you know, all these different companies that are trying to figure out where am I going to engage, how am I going to find audience, and how do I really get my message out there? I feel like these are the different ways brands are going to be looking to engage.
Speaker 3: You know, Linda Yakarino, you have history in that relationship, but will you put money to play it in the Twitter platform right now?
Speaker 8: As you know three Pass you know, certainly we will because we actually have some films launching this fall. We actually have a film that one Sundance called Radical that's going to be coming out in October. So absolutely, I mean, we want to be where the audience is. And you know, to this day, you know, Twitter is still have a very active, engaged audience base. Obviously there's concerns around you know, kind of privacy or you know, the rhetoric or whatever it is, but there's still a very active audience. And you know, when you see Olheno with you know, one of the largest you know, kind of social footprints, he has over eighty million flowers across all social Twitter is obviously a platform that we're still involved with, but we're still going to be looking for other platforms.
Speaker 3: Stephen Wolf Perera Three PUS Studios, thank you for joining us out there in La c S.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Right, another top story here on Bloomberg Technology, Apple's headset will be available in retail stores early next year, but the rollout it's going to be a little slope. Mark German as the details. Next, this is Bloom Big Technology.
Speaker 7: Time.
Speaker 2: Now for VC round up by d you. Once India's most valuable upstart is internal after missing a deadline on financial statements giving payments on a one point two billion dollar alone and now that crisis is setting alarm bells throughout India's VC world, prompted Bloom Ventures, for example, one of India's biggest venture capital firms, to cut back on what they call frivolous investments and to push portfolio companies to increasingly shift focus to profitability. Meanwhile, while when Old is New again, Albert Einstein might have died in ninety fifty five, but the physicist is still a prolific conversationalist. As a chatbot of course, character Ai, one of the strangers startups on the Heyhi scene, but valued at one billion dollars Einstein. Einstein has responded to one point six million messages apparently, from theories of relativity to pat recommendation Zed.
Speaker 3: That is the best story we've done on the Bloombog technology ever. That's a big sta wow Yeah, no, it's a big sayman, but Einstein's back baby. Apple's headset is coming soon ish to store near you.
Speaker 4: Bit of a hard pivot there.
Speaker 3: The tech giant planning a retail launch of its Vision Pro headset, but only in select US markets early next year before expanding further. Bloomberg's Mark Gunman broke those details overnight. Mark, there is a very clear strategy here according to your reporting.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I wonder what Albert Einstein would think about virtual reality and the Vision Pro. But in terms of this story, so what we're hearing is that there's going to be a bit of a slow goo ramp up to the Apple Vision Pro launch. This is a thirty five hundred dollars device. It requires an immense amount of customization, the logistics, the way they're going to launch this thing a both online and in stores. It's a very cumbersome process. So here's how it's going to work. Early next year, so early twenty twenty four in the US, you'll be able to order the device either online or in an Apple retail store. If you're buying it in a retail store, if you're in one of those major markets La New York, San Francisco, Texas. In those retail stores, those bigger stores, you'll have a new virtual reality Vision Pro experience area where you can buy the device, experience the device, have it set up, and customize, get training on it. Right If you're in a smaller market store, you'd be able to go in there and buy it, maybe in a small corner at a table somewhere, But over time it'll ramp up that new experience center. But the important thing to note is you'll be able to buy the vision Pro in any US retail store from.
Speaker 1: The get go.
Speaker 9: Where things get complicated is if you have a vision prescription, so you'll have to upload your vision prescription to a website, either through Apple or through Zice because Apple doesn't want you handing that medical information directly to an Apple retail employee. You'll do that at the time of purchase, either online or Another important factor is it's going to be sold by appointment only in stores, so when you make that appointment, they'll upload that information.
Speaker 2: Mark the slow rollout. How much of that is about market education, about trying to navigate demand, and how much is it the supply side that also holds it up.
Speaker 9: I think it's a combination of all three, but definitely I would lean mostly towards supply. Right they don't have enough supply to do a global launch at this point. They think they'll have enough supply by the tail end of twenty twenty four or into twenty twenty five, and so what they're going to do is they're going to launch in Asia in early twenty twenty five. At the end of twenty twenty four, they'll be launching in Canada.
Speaker 4: And the UK.
Speaker 9: Over time, they're going to expand to France and Germany. Basically, they're going to probably get to about ten major regions by the end of twenty twenty five. In twenty two they're also looking at expanding to resellers as well.
Speaker 2: Fascinating the way in which these things, the logistics of getting this into our hands. Mark German, with all the news as we know, we thank you so much. Meanwhile, well let's talk about what's going viral right now. The Barbie movie. It has sixty four years, the Barbie doll has been both an icon and an embarrassment. Now with Greta Gerwig's new film, Mattel, the company that builds them, is now trying to prove that Barbie isn't hopelessly out of date?
Speaker 4: Did that?
Speaker 2: Betpan out? We're going to see. Let's bringing billiam ogs Thomas Buckling for more on that, because there's been a beautiful big take written by billiam Bag today all about how the birth of this occurred, and really all goes back to Mattel realizing that they're an IP company as much as they're a toy company.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, that's soritally right. And you know, before I launch into BET, I had to say that I was just watching Mark Gooman and Second Mons temper each others of his Pete Walls madst the interview from there, So it's incredibly interesting. I mean Ian Craze, the CEO of Mattel, who came in to run the company in twenty eighteen, background has been in entertainment for really most of his career, so I think that when he took hold of Mattel, he realized, Look, we've got these phenomenal brands, including Barbie, Hot Wheels, Barney and more that would be perfectly suited to the screen. And what's interesting is that Barbie has had its rations on screen, whether it's video games or whether it's straight to TV films, but it's the first time ever that's had a comprehensive theatrical release helmed by Greta Girl because you know, and produced by Warner Brothers. That a cost one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: Thomas producer John Harland makes a really good point, which is that the hype around this has been astonishing. It's been everywhere social media, on all the streaming platforms. I see ads for it. But the origins of this product, the history of Barbie. Some people say, actually, this is a pretty big risk for the company. Explain that to me.
Speaker 4: That's actually right.
Speaker 10: So I think mention it when Barbie launched in nineteen fifty nine, and she was immensely popular for several decades.
Speaker 4: I mean, she was.
Speaker 10: Modeled on the German build Lily, and you know, in a country that had recently embraced the eranism. So I think that, you know, the marketing of the doll at its early stages, blue eyed blonde Head appealed to you know, a set number of people, but wasn't necessarily that wide ranging. Now, Barbie's brand actually suffered because it was being perceived as very elitist in the past couple of decades and I think that what this film is going to try to do is really undo a lot of those preconceived notions that Barbie is only suitable to a set demographic by making her more accessible. And that really follows the trend of actually making the doll itself more accessible. A number of Barbies have been produced, you know, in current times that have, for example, alopecia or down syndrome or different skin tones in a bit to actually build the brand into something a lot more accessible than it has been in the past.
Speaker 2: I mean, I go back to that amazing outfit by jay Z and Beyonce when they came as Barbie dolls, really to highlight the point it was a Halloween costume to that end. If this does do well and there are limitations, we understand, you know, they've rouffle feathers to put it mildly in Vietnam, But what do they manage to make this a sequel if it goes well, if they managed to overcome those issues of Nam.
Speaker 10: There are some ongoing considerations. I believe, according to a familiar that a sequel is perhaps being put into development. It all depends on how well the film does. I mean, as ed rightly pointed out that the hype for this is really unmatched in recent times in Hollywood. I think that, you know, the only film that I can think of that's had as much hypersthisis maybe the Avatar sequel. Certainly, nothing this year has even come close. And we're observing the tracking for this film that is to say, how it's going to perform on this opening weekend, and the tracking jumped domestically by fifty four percent just in the last week alone. Set to open at about one hundred and ten million dollars. Now, if the film can grows you know, something like half a billion, which is a fall ask but not impossible given some of the hype around it, then I'm fairly certain that a sequel would be put into production.
Speaker 3: A right Bloomberg Thommas Buckley with the Barbie latest Thank You, Time for Another Story and You. Study from Watchfinder showed that as many as ten percent of the watches received from sellers last year were determined to be fakes during an authentication process, and half of those fakes were Rolexes. And the problem is set to become worse for the twenty seven billion dollars secondary market as fakes become more sophisticated and hard at a spot. The question out for you, Caroline is how does technology fix that?
Speaker 2: And there's a will, there's a way ed, and let's bring in someone who knows the luxury space specifically using technology to verify goods. Entropy authentication uses like a combination of artificial intelligence, of course it does, and microscopy. Microscopy, of course, the objectively kind of says is the authenticity of an item. I'm pleased to say the founders with us, the CEO of Entropy, it's video tun Okay, how does AI? How does micross compy help in the scenarios? What exactly are you doing and able to tell us?
Speaker 11: Sure? Firstly, thanks for having me. And what we do is we use visual we use images. We run images through AI models and help them understand the minute differences. So my new share per se and this could be at such a deep resolution that it's almost impossible, not impossible, but almost impossible for counterfeiters to actually beat that. And we train computers at scale to understand these differences. And then when our customers, anybody needs on demand authentication, Someone has an item in front of them and they need to know if it's real or not. We are providing them the ability to take images of the item, ship it out of the cloud. AI says yes or no. If it's a yes, then we give them a certificate and a financial guarantee.
Speaker 4: So it's almost like insurance videos.
Speaker 3: Where's the technology come from? Have you developed this yourself or you're bringing in the software component from a third party?
Speaker 11: No, everything is built in house, including the microscopy even any other camera information that we get is all processed in house. The data we collect and we train computers on is also completely in house, which makes it kind of unique and also valuable. And yeah, I mean when we started this there was no one else doing it.
Speaker 4: It was also a weird thing to do. Think about it.
Speaker 11: You're a Bloomingdale's, would you expect someone to walk around with a device like that? But it turns out there's a lot of value because about ten to twelve percent of all the items that we authenticate our counterfeit.
Speaker 4: And this is only with businesses.
Speaker 2: Wow, what's interesting. I'm looking at a handbag and can really understand how your technology would work for that. Are there items we were just talking about watches that sort of impossible because you've got to basically take the thing apart to be able to take the photos. Where are the limitations? Where is the scalability for you?
Speaker 11: Sure so scalability where scalability is available in almost any category where there are kind of fits. Because the beauty of AI is this flywheel of learning and improving constantly. Typically, when you do that long enough and at large scales enough, you are disincentivizing counterfeiters from constantly going off of that space making better quality fakes because at some point that their margin is at a ceiling, right, so you're always half a step ahead. So that's where the scalability and the AI piece is useful. Limitations wise, I think you raise a very good point. When it comes to certain types of goods, there's form and there's function.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 11: Forum is say a handbag or a shoe, or a piece of a paddle or an necessity. Function would mean does it work well?
Speaker 4: Right? So for a whilech you need to do both.
Speaker 11: AI is excellent at form, might not be the most ideal solution at function, but there are other ways. So the question is how can you put both together in a seamless way.
Speaker 4: That's what we're working on.
Speaker 2: Come back when you nailed the watch market as well. Really great to have some time with you. Thank you for any of us on their Entropy founder and CEO. We thank him while we all suddenly consider our goods and whether they're real or not. And I mean that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. It's been a very quick, short week, but a fun one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a short week dominated by threads, but there's a lot more to recap. It's interesting how real focus on social media, so much going on in China. A lot with the hardware side, with Apple and Mark German's reporting, so you can recap it. Don't forget.
Speaker 4: We have our podcast.
Speaker 3: You can find it on the Bloomberg terminal as well as online on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart, wherever you choose to get your podcasts. A short week, a big week in the world of technology, coming up from New York and San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.