Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zim coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. Hey, everybody, uh so excited to be back and talking to you today after what was a busy separated weekend from each other. Babe.
Speaker 2: I'm worried about you saying that because after we did the episodes with the divorce coach and Laura Wasserman divorce attorney, I had several people DM me and be like, but this doesn't mean you guys are getting a divorce, right, I feel like, so not have done?
Speaker 1: Ryan? What have we done? A Ryan interested?
Speaker 2: No, like said things to confuse people. No, you're not as poetic as Ryan.
Speaker 1: That's true, That's very true.
Speaker 2: But no, we're good just because we just always welcome all relationship discussions. So, no, we are not divorcing. And after you said busy separated weekend, no, no, no, we are not separating either.
Speaker 1: I also did a great episode coming up with a gut health doctor. Everything's fine there too, colonoscopy, all of it. I seriously go back and listen that. We had some great interviews and we kind of we did get on a tangent there. But one thing led to another when we had never heard about a divorce coach, and we dove into that, and then we had this amazing probably the foremost divorce lawyer on to talk about divorce. Yeah, if you had if it was negative though, that's the thing. It was actually very positive. No.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd actually never talked to Laura Wasserman before, despite covering her celebrity divorce cases many times for Entertainment Tonight, and she has this reputation of being fierce in the courtroom, so I was so surprised by how chill and very positive about relationships. She was not jaded at all, just very empathetic about it all. And so I thought, well, that must be why she gets so much business, because she's going to be kind of this pitbull on your side, but also be really human about the process. And if you haven't listen to that episode, go give it a listen because you are getting a lot of free, very good divorce lawyer advice in that episode. I had people from et DM me and say, oh, wow, you guys had Laura Walser on, like she's a big deal.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, give those a listen, but no, these were very positive trips. But the reason I was bringing them up, we couldn't have had more different weekends. We did a one to eighty. You were on a girl's trip.
Speaker 2: That's what you mean by separated. We just literally weren't together.
Speaker 1: We weren't together because you had your annual girls trip, which is a rite of passage, and it is this amazing thing that you and your amazing group of women do your friends from college and I went on a very very boys trip.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know if i'd call it a write of passage, but it's a pact that we've made to every year together. And I've said this before, so I'm sorry if you're hearing me repeat myself. But I also can't say it enough. I think in this day and age of cell phones and social media, we all feel connected, but there is nothing like in person connection to fill your soul, to fill your emotional cup, to make unforgettable memories. And what my girlfriends and I did my sorority sisters. Shout out to Cap Alpha Theta for changing my life forever. We made an agreement. Right after college. We kind of had a lot of weddings and bachelorette parties that kept us all hanging out, and we still have those on occasion, but we made an agreement to every single year we were going to do a trip together, and every year we would change the location and nobody misses that trip, and nobody wants to miss that trip unless they're too pregnant or have just said a baby or sick or something. And so we do it every year, and we just we make more memories and laugh more and cry more in those two days then I do in a lot of other weeks of my year. We all look forward to it so much, and it just like brings us back to life in a lot of ways in times when like work and kids and stuff can make you very busy, and there's nothing like hanging out with your friends. Now, you on this weekend that I just finished. I loved that you decided to do this. You said, I'm going to have a boys trip, and you got together with our son Josh, with your nephews Hank and Sam, and with your brother Glenn, and you guys also cried a lot, right, we did it all.
Speaker 1: We shot guns. Okay, I went to by the way, If you're ever around Nacadoch's, Texas, which is where we were, East Texas. The best gun range in Texas, meadow Ridge gun Range and out it's meadow Ridge Outdoors. Not just guns, but it is awesome. Asked for my man Sam and Kimberly Harrison, but my godson and they put on a great show for us. Went to meadow Ridge. We shot guns. We got up the next morning and went bass fishing. My other godson, Hank Harrison. If you're ever in that area, double h look him up. He's a great guide. He's a bass fishing guide. He put us on the fish. We went bass fishing. So shotguns, bass fishing. We then went to like a pool hall honky Tnk. Shout out to Benita the honky Tonk there. Then the next morning we got up and played golf.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's the core for you. Hunted, you fished, you honky tonked, and you golf.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So and it was a spectacular weekend.
Speaker 2: And again, how much did you share emotionally and cry? This is what's funny, talk about your fears and your stresses.
Speaker 1: And Laurne and I were sending each other videos as we often do when we're texting back and forth, how is your weekend, How is your weekend? What's going on? I would send videos of us shooting guns. You sent videos back of these different pods of women all in one room, twenty women all talking at the same time, having incredibly intense conversations. And she did a revolving little three sixty video of the room and it was just white wine and conversation.
Speaker 2: The activity is talking in What would our core for be. I guess our core forwardould be what we call tots and tench, which is totally intentional deep conversations. So tots and tench crying, laughing, and how many times did you cry this weekend? Like three? Really, it was all one conversation though honestly, everybody asked me about experience camps because it's coming up on me volunteering and experience camps again next week, and so I was just like talking about some of the kids that I volunteer that are in my bunk, and so that brought me to tears very quickly. But like you know, we're now at the life place where other member I was the first one of my friends to lose a parent, but now two more of my friends have and so it's like good for us to share on that. So I could cry talking about it now, but yeah, so I wanted to. I almost said the last of our core four would be drinking. Oh this makes us sense terrible.
Speaker 1: So Siue, you know you're sitting around, there was a fireplace going, and you have some good wine. Yeah, that's all good.
Speaker 2: I mean actually, honestly on this trip we didn't do that much drinking. I think we were just like in the past, we've done like Cabo. We did last year, and Cabo lends itself more to like tequila shots. And this year we did upstate New York at a lake cabin, and.
Speaker 1: I like that y'all moving around geographically it's good.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, it's very enriching to always be in a new place because it kind of creates new situations to make memories out of. So we've made that part of the pact. But the lake cabin vibe was more like glass of wine by the fire and so it was just a bit more chill. We did like some you know, paddle boarding and boat stuff, and actually that was a really great reminder I think to all of us that you know, we when you surround yourself with the right friends. And I'm not like poopooing drinking. I mean, you guys know, I love a glass of wine as of late, very into Montrachet white bergishes. If you hadn't tried those yet, it's my new chardonnay is a mantrache. But it's a good sign when you're with friends that like you don't need the alcohol to have fun, you know, like I think part of the reason, and I advise our kids on this when you're choosing your friends in college, when you're choosing your friends at any time, pick people who make you better. Pick dynamic individuals. When I look around the room at that group of women, there are doctors, lawyers, moms, you know, moms of four, stay at home moms, working moms, teachers, pharmacists, like people in marketing. There are It's such a dynamic, intelligent, successful, empathetic group of women that, like, it was a nice reminder that you know, we didn't need to like really drink that much to like laugh and have a great time and be silly and stupid with each other. And also as we're having these deep talks, you know, we're listening to each other challenging each other to think differently. So again you just leave with your cup really full.
Speaker 1: I think our version of that, the guys version, whether I'm on a guy's trip like with my buddies or this trip which was my son and two god kids, you know, my son's cousins and my brother was there the two why the two wives were also in and out of dinners and stuff, so we saw them as well. But it's just being silly and laughing. Yeah, it's just kind of cracking on each other, giving each other a hard time. Watching the kids bond. All the kids are pretty close in age, within two three years of each other, so they're all kind of in the same life place and just watching them reconnect, bond, be silly, be stupid, make jokes, but then also seeing you know, Sam there at meadow Ridge outdoors doing his thing, and then you know, Hank is also, among other things, as a guide. Shout out to double H percision precision fishing. If you are in the Nacadochus area and want to just crush the fish, Sam Rayburn all those lakes over there in East Texas, look them up. But watching them do what they do, watching and seeing them thrive and all that. My brother and I just got to kind of sit back and be proud parents. And it's fun obviously to be with my brother as well, who's two and a half years older than me, so it was great.
Speaker 2: It's always interesting to me that you prioritize saying god sons over nephews. Is that like both? I know, but you say god sons first, and I would just I'm not, like, is it just a different Is that a Texas thing? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean in my family we don't have like, we don't really have godparents period. But I think I always assumed god parents were like chosen friends, not family members.
Speaker 1: It could be anything, it can be totally.
Speaker 2: But I also would assume you would say nephews before you'd say god sons. God sons first.
Speaker 1: They're both, They're are all those things biological family.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, maybe it is a geographical thing for either way. I grew up when I was younger and having kids and all that, it's like they are. It was also kind of a spiritual and a religious guide to someone who will have your back and be a mentor and watch over you and you know, lead you hopefully down the right path.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting. I just always thought it was like, if your parents die, these people will take you.
Speaker 1: And traditionally I guess it's someone also who if something.
Speaker 2: Thinking it was also like if your parents died, and like if no family, then these people would take you. That's just you're picking the same people.
Speaker 1: That's a legal document. That's really weird. That's a really interesting conversation to have, by the way, that is.
Speaker 2: It's going to take your kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something we don't talk about on the show as much, but it was a real conversation when you have children, like, for example, your sister is pregnant and she's gonna have a baby. Her and her husband will have to.
Speaker 2: Have this discuss thing you hate thinking about.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's like, you know, it's irresponsible to not have those conversations. And it's really interesting because here's what's funny. It's very rare and this could be us. It's very rare that there's two people you really want to have the kids. What you really want is to split people up, so it'd be like, okay, how about your sister, my brother. You know, you really want to put together this perfect couple. It's rarely like that. You have one couple where you love both of them so much.
Speaker 2: But well, for some people they might have friends, the friends who they'd want to take the kids over family, you know not and everybody's close with family.
Speaker 1: And that's something you have to stipulate, you know, in your will. And it is a real conversation you have to have, like a phone.
Speaker 2: Tree, who's at the top of the phone tree and if they're not available, okay the next time no.
Speaker 1: And it's only something you have to worry about for two decades, you know.
Speaker 2: Well. And one more thing on the on the trips, I think being present is so important. One thing that I really love about these trips I take with my girlfriends is like everybody has a job, right, everybody has kids, but we've really come to know how important they these moments are. And like you mentioned, you and I send each other a couple of funny videos, which we did, but beyond like maybe a daily five minute phone call or a quick text to check in with family, we really are dialed into each other. It's like no one's on their phone or facetiming a bunch with their you know kids, and being like it's come here and be present, and that makes a big, big difference.
Speaker 1: Don't be the annoying friend who's constantly on their phone, especially face timing back home.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to be judgmental on that for a minute, but tell me, as I was never a parent of young children, Is it again a two minute FaceTime? Okay? But my parents would go away on trips.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one thing I really admired about my parents is that they very much prioritize their marriage. And I feel like from everything I've read that that actually leads to a very successful household where you make sure your marriage is a priority, like outside of your kids, that it's not just all about the kids and we're sacrificing our relationship. So my parents would go away on little weekends together, one night away together and leave us with our grandparents. And obviously back then you didn't really have cell phones, but like, we never missed them checking in. I don't know, I guess I just I think it made us better at being a little more independent and not like, is it a good thing to be doing the face times with the kids when you're away.
Speaker 1: No, First of all, it doesn't help.
Speaker 2: I'm asking you in part as well, because you had long chunks away from the kids when you were working on the show.
Speaker 1: And you know what's funny, the so when it all started, there was no face time and it was difficult to even call at times. You had to get the right plan for long distance and all that. Things obviously moved along with being able to text worldwide, and then obviously FaceTime came about or zoom or whatever you want to do face to face. I think that hurt. I think it makes it worse. I felt even just as the parent, I felt more lonely and more disconnected because I would jump into their lives real quick. Sometimes I would get up in the morning. I was around the world, so you know, it'd be in the middle of the night for me, and it would be seven in the morning for them. They were getting ready for school. And sometimes they would just prop me up and I would sit there while they eat breakfast and we would talk. And then you turn off the phone and boom, you're in South Africa. You're an Iceland, period and it's yeah, it's very painful, and I don't think it helps the kids. With that said, you do not need to talk to your kids or check in more than once today period period that's it. Everybody's healthy, everybody's good. There is zero reason you need to check in more than once today and again if your son's playing in a championship game or something you want to. I know there's little things here and there, but I'm just saying on an average day, we know people will go on vacation and they will face time with their kids five, six, eight times a day in the middle of dinner. Your kids need to know what you just said. Your time is important, your time away is important. They need to know that your mental health, your emotional wellbeing is good and they are fine not talking to you twenty four to seven. And if that is the case, you got to cut the cord man, because that is insane and it's not healthy. It's not healthy for you, and it's one hundred percent not healthy for your kids to talk to you five or six times a day. And the reason I say Munchhause and syndrome, you are abling and actually you're enabling your kids to exist on their own and know that they are fine and that you were fine. You are creating them.
Speaker 2: See you feel like this is like making the kids, yeah, and making sickness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're wanting to make them sick. You need them to, you need them to need you, and they don't. They don't need you. They're fine. Kids are resilient. Humans are resilient. They're going to make it twelve well.
Speaker 2: And it's a very new thing, right. I mean, I see now with my friends, and I think what's hard sometimes is that all of these things, social media, cell phones, technology is both good and bad, and so that's why it's really hard to like help make people see the bad sometimes. Like for example, now they have like these baby monitors where you can like watch your kid twenty four to seven on app through the monitor, like watch them in their crib. You could like literally turn it on and watch them sleep all night if you're away through an app on your phone. On the one hand, that's great. It's probably really convenient if you're downstairs, you can real quick look on your phone and see your kid upstairs without even walking up the stairs. On the other hand, I have been around friends before who like new moms, and I'm not. I don't know what it's like to be a new mom. But we're at dinner and they keep checking the monitor and I'm like, okay, But people didn't used to have this. This is a very new thing and I don't think we need that. And I you know, back in the day, how how did you keep in touch with your kids when they went away to college. They wrote you a letter once a week, you know, were they.
Speaker 1: Made a long distance phone call once a week.
Speaker 2: It's why getting back to camp. Actually, I think that going to summer camp is really good for the kids of today because they are technology free for weeks, if not months, They write letters to their parents. They get a sense of independence from that. I see a lot of benefits now that I'm kind of more in the camp world. There's a lot of good that comes out of being on their own, being around other kids, and being unplugged from technology.
Speaker 1: I try to give my kids days and days of no contact with them being at college, with them being in college, and even now Josh has graduated. But I try to go as as long as I can. You know, it won't be more than a week, for sure, but I'll check back in. But when I do have a conversation with them, it's a download and it's as serious as you say, more meaningful, and we are intentional about it. Like today, Taylor called me and we talked for forty five minutes and we really got into it and she asked me what I was up to, and vice versa. I don't need to talk to her ever, and I know some people do talk every day and all that, and I just I think it emboldens them to create their own lives, deal with their own problems. That's a huge thing. They need to have enough rope to live their life and make mistakes and fix those mistakes and not come running to you every time something happens. I just that is I don't know if that's a hot take or not, but I just I see more and more of that with parents of when you're with them, Yeah, and they act like that's that it's a viable excuse to step away from from the dinner table five or six times too, And it's not nothing's wrong. It's just, oh, Billy wants to talk real quick, and it's so cute and they think that all think it's cute, and I'm like, that's dependable.
Speaker 2: It's like we're at dinner with you, Like I know, I kind of we've been in that situation before. I sort of feel like, but we took the time to come to dinner with you, like if it's obviously, if it's an emergency, it's a different situation. But like, I'm not leaving dinner to go take a work call three times during the dinner. I would find that root if someone did that. And I do think it applies to the kid thing too, Like I'm here with you, I'm your friend. I wanted to have We're only here for an hour and a half. I wanted to have this dinner with you being present.
Speaker 1: And it's very simple, Billy, you're fine, We're at dinner with friends. I need you to respect our time. We'll be home in an hour and we'll talk about all.
Speaker 2: It's hard because it had they have the ability. I mean when I was a kid, I couldn't if my parents went out to dinner, I couldn't call them. How could you? You couldn't, so like.
Speaker 1: You have to call the olive gardener, red lobster.
Speaker 2: And did not Gosh, wow, Should we spend less time in total contact with each other?
Speaker 1: No, No, it doesn't go for us. But I will say when we're apart though, like we were this weekend, if I heard from you, great. I mean there were there was days where maybe you'd send me a text and that's about it. And then you'd take a night and I would I knew where you were and I knew what you were doing, and that was important.
Speaker 2: So you knew that I was just getting my nature on in those.
Speaker 1: And I didn't want to break into that emotional wall. Man, you don't want any part of that, right, What Like I'm at a gun range and you're doing that. Like we were polar opposites emotionally. I was not.
Speaker 2: I mean it was I say that, but it was funny. My friends know me very well and they were all saying, zeems, this is a pretty naturry location. How are you going to do here? It was a little buggy, but hey, you know, I handled it. I like an adventure. I will say that if we ever, if anyone ever suggests camping, I don't think I want to do that one. But it was cabminding. All right, We're going to be back with some headlines, okay, everyone from our personal headlines too, headlines all over the place. We wanted to talk about a few things in our world, the entertainment world going on. First of all, this headline from Sabrina Carpenter. I wanted to bring this up to you, babe, because you were in the industry for such a long time. I'm Sabrina Carpenter's having a real moment right now. Lots of hit songs opened for Taylor Swift, like killing It, and she revealed in a new interview with Variety that maybe her biggest hit of the past few months the song Espresso and you know it that higher ups, she said didn't want to release the song, that she had to convince them, and wow, did her sticking to her, you know, her standing her ground pay off because it was such a massive hit. And you see that a lot in our industry, especially now when decisions are made with algorithms and AI and tech people at the top making these decisions instead of creative people. Were you ever in a moment like that with any of the shows you did where you like pushed for something creatively and maybe you got your way or didn't.
Speaker 1: All the time, Yeah, it happens all the time, and it's that and you're right. It is this intersection of corporate executives and many executives who get to the level of at all these networks or streamers or whatever, and they've never actually created anything. They've never produced right, they're not producers. They who knows where they came from. And that's not to knock on them, because they have gone risen, you know, on the ladder their way, and clearly they were good at what they did, but they will get to a point where they got to cross over and instead of maybe leaning on someone creative, they are thinking, well, I've been good at this, so I'm good at everything, and you have to fight like the Dickens. And I think the best lesson I will learn is figure out whichhill you want to die on. And for her it a Sabrina Carpenter. I'm guessing she's like, this is the hill I'm going to die on. This single needs to be out in the world. I want this launched. And you win some of these fights, and you lose some of these fights, and they're probably good at what they do, but they're not good at everything, and they have blind spots too, and it's okay to point out these blind spots and to fight for what you believe in creatively. The other thing is, at the end of the day, if you're not the executive producer, if you're not the boss, you're not going to have the final say and sometimes you have to eat it and you got to swallow your pride and you got to go do the show that you don't think was probably very good.
Speaker 2: Is there anything specific that comes to mind for you, a time when you fought and you made it and it worked so well, or a time when you thought, man, they really should have listened to me on that one.
Speaker 1: There was a we're in the middle of an election. The last two elections ago, this would have been Trump and Hillary. And the thing about The Bachelor is it's never been political. I don't think people tune in to The Bachelor because they're on the left of the right or whatever. I don't care, and we've never cared. The point is you want to escape. That's what I thought the show was about. And one of our creators, one of the bosses, was just a hardcore lefty, big Democrat, and he wanted me to make And this is in the middle of a tape show, as women.
Speaker 2: Tell all, was it live?
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't live, So we're taping it. And in the middle of the show, they would get my ear They often do that. They would get my air and say literally an earpiece and say, hey, they want you to say this. They want you to say that. Ask this question. Most of the time, very productive, very good. This one time, in the middle of this, he wanted me to make a Trump joke and say something positive about Hill, and it was just we I've never done that. In the twenty years I've been on the show. We've never made a political joke, never made an innu window of any sort of politics. And so I looked at my direct camera because they I wasn't on camera, but they could see me, and I just shook my head no, and he got my air and said it again. They want you to say this. He said no, and then they got back and said, you know where this is coming from. You know who's asking. They want you to say this, And I again shook my head no. Go to commercial break, stop, Chris. They want you up in the control room. They called me up to the control room and I got absolutely verbally assaulted, screaming at me. There's thirty people in the room, and you know it's funny. The Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Remember who's the woman that runs It's Kelly. They were there because the Dallas Cowboy Chiliders were in an Oxnard for training camp. And I invited them and they were all there. They were in the next room, and they heard it. He was screaming at me of like, this is how this works. I tell you what to say, and you say it. And so I stood my ground and I didn't make a political joke. And so that's one where I'm glad I stood make ground because that's what we never stood for that. We never wanted to fight that battle or that's not what the show's about. It's about you escaping. And so that was one that really stood out where I got absolutely verbally abused in front of everybody, just got absolutely undressed. And then I went back down and I said, all right, well you know I agree to disagree. I'm going to go do the show I was going to do. And I left and never did it.
Speaker 2: You were glad you sucked to your Well, yeah, it's no place for that on the show. I think people would be surprised by how many times you were in situations like that when you were kind of having to fight what should be said or shouldn't be said behind the scenes, because you and I both shared this difficulty. You're working for a big brand and company and multiple companies behind the scenes, but it's your name the TV and it's you who's speaking with the words coming out of your mouth. Like that's a big difference to me between hosting and acting. When you're an actor, you're beholden to a lot of companies, sure, and you have bosses, but you're playing a character. When you're a host, you're beholden to all these people, but it's like, you got to say this stuff. There were definitely times at ET when I creatively disagreed with questions they wanted me to ask the ways that they wanted me to ask things, but I had to do it at certain times. And when I look back, and I think it's a lesson for anybody in your work environment, Like, sure, you have to do things sometimes at your job that you don't want to do. But when I look back, the thing that I'm proudest of at ET was Roses and Rose and that was creatively pretty much completely me. And I think that's in part why I'm so proud of it, because I got to do this like weird, quirky show the way that I wanted to do it, and I'm really grateful for my boss, Shana, who green lit it in the first place, because in the beginning you could have looked at it and said, like, what is this and it wasn't really like the et vibe. But I guess I'll toot my own horn and say, I think that's what happens when people allow creatives to do their thing. That became CBS's number one original digital show. And if you're worried, a piece of advice I would give if you're trying to figure out how to do your own thing at work is like tell them, like, start with small resources, because that is more likely to get you a green light. Like when I started doing Roses and Rose, I said I just need me and like one editor, that's all that I need. And that, truly, by the way, was pretty much what it was up until the end. We eventually had two camera guys and I had a producer who helped me a little bit with pulling footage show. So the team did eventually grow, But in the beginning that was kind of how I got it green lit. And you know, then when you proven the success of something, then you get more re sources for it. I do think sometimes people today, everybody's like, well, this is my idea, and they want like don't put the cart before the horse, you know, get the product and then get the budget after that. But I wanted to give a shout out to Sabrina Carpenter for sticking her guns on that and it worked.
Speaker 1: And that kind of leads into another, like very interesting interview we just saw.
Speaker 2: So Vince Vaughan was on Hot Ones, which if you haven't ever heard of it is ever do that you won't. It's the show where you eat you progressively eat spicier and spicier hot sauce on wings are all being interviewed.
Speaker 1: If he started with mayonnaise and went to catch.
Speaker 2: Up, Oh yeah, because you can't have I well.
Speaker 1: The show, but I mean I can't do paste Peccani sauce. I mean that show would I would, I would be in the hospital.
Speaker 2: I don't know what sauce you just mentioned, but so I guess I'll give another point of reference for people about how wimpy Chris is about spice. If there is a jalapeno, a single slice of jalapeno to be found on his sandwich, in his drink, like we are not going for at spicy margarita with this man, And every time he eats or drinks anything that like he didn't know was even a little bit spicy. His eyes start to water and he goes, it's gotta look kick to it, and I'm like, oh my god, it sure does not.
Speaker 1: That was teen or if I ever went on the show, I would just always answer honestly, because you don't have to eat if you answer correctly.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think that's not part of the premise. The premise is just you keep eating and they keep answering. It's not like an either or When people do that show, they're just signing up for the comedy of their own pain.
Speaker 1: I just I couldn't do it. I really, I honestly physically couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: You would throw up for sure, that could be.
Speaker 1: But I love the show and Vince Bond was on and he was fantastic.
Speaker 2: So he spoke about and I was a little frustrated because his quotes were very you know, it's part of the reason why I'm a little I've pulled back from my own industry of the media, but they were taken out of context by a lot of people. He gave this really thoughtful answer to why his the thing that kind of made him famous. Our rated movies like that aren't made anymore.
Speaker 1: Wedding crashers, old School.
Speaker 2: Just Dodgeball, Yeah, great movies, movies that we all love un quote. So he gave an answer about like you know, the people green lighting the movies, like maybe you know, they don't exactly know what works or not. But he also pointed out that a big issue has been this need for IP intellectual property over the past ten years or so, and we all see it. If you know it, go see any movies you see it. It's like things like Battleship the movie got made, and he points out, like why was the game Battleship? Why did that? There was no storytelling in that movie. But people just executives just think we need IP to make something because they're pulling from well, the Marvel movies were successful and and that's all this known IP. And he made the point like, well, what do we consider IP, Like he brought up John Hughes. He said, the IP of the brilliance of John Hughes' movies is like sixteen Candles was the known IP of what it's like for a girl to turn sixteen, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the IP of you know, kids skipping a day of school.
Speaker 1: Twenty half of age stories first love that that too is incredible intellectual property and.
Speaker 2: That has been lost. And I think he was so right. You know, he mentioned old school. The idea there is what if you could go back to your college days and now? And I just wanted to talk about it a minute because I saw, like the Hollywood Reporter posted on Instagram just one of the quotes he said where he kind of said, do people you know, people want to laugh and people want to be funny, and that kind of was construed into people in the comments. He was saying, people want to laugh and we just have to give them better material. So I thought his answer was brilliant. You said you'd separately seen this clip. What did you think?
Speaker 1: Well, And to further your point, what he said about the intellectual property is that the executives making the decisions on movies are searching and seeking out intellectual property because they're hiding behind it. They are just protecting their jobs because then they can say, well, look, battleship failed. It was a colossal failure at the box office, but we had the intellectual property, you know, we used it. So it is basically them playing it safe. Executives playing it safe so they protect their jobs and they're not taking risks like old school, like Ferris Bueller's day Off, like all those.
Speaker 2: All and he's signed with empathy. He said, I understand it people, you know, they don't want to lose their job. But I think that's totally true. If you say, well, yeah, the movie was a failure, but like I followed the intellectual property model, then you're going to be okay. The problem there is that overall the company goes into decline and the industry goes into decline. But I saw it at CBS too. It's people like just wanting to get to their retirement, like standing on the deck of the ship as it is sinking and hoping that they can just make it to shore before it does, and it ultimately hurts so many more people.
Speaker 1: I think you have this idea again that the people above you are in it to win it just like you are, like to be creative and to be innovative, to really push the envelope, and they're not.
Speaker 2: They're not. They're not. Most of That's what I meant by falling up earlier. It is the rare executive that has gotten there because they are a creative visionary. But that rare standout of a person makes people think that that human is in every job, and they're not. So many of those people have just fallen up. We're just made the decisions, like Ben Swannes is saying, of like not ruffled too many feathers, and so they keep getting promoted.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, recent history is showing probably what he's kind of revolting against, and that is Barbie did incredibly well. Heavy Ip, Deadpool, Wolverine are rated R. These are rated R movies.
Speaker 2: By the way, Twisters it was a kind of a sequel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like, man, it's like, but there's got to be room in the Jennifer Lawrence and Glenn pal also had some movies come out that were kind of independent. They weren't intellectual property, and they were good comedies.
Speaker 2: The Fall, Hard Feelings and Anyone but.
Speaker 1: You the Fall Guy intellectual property. So you know, I don't know if there's a rhyme or reason, but what he's saying is the reason they're choosing. If we have two great scripts, two great ideas, we're going to choose intellectual property because we can hide behind that. We're not going to take a flyer on this. And we're hearing more and more of these stories about you know, a jet Appatau show or Ben Still or whatever, and these shows are not getting greenlit and not getting picked up. These executives are not taking it for me.
Speaker 2: Like what I would have added to what Vince said is is what you just said. I think the issue is a lack of risk taking, and that lack of risk taking is coming from people being afraid to lose their jobs. But like Barbie, yes there was IP there, but it was written in such an unexpected way he did with it, so yeah. Or Oppenheimer, well there's that he's a known person. But like the way Christopher Nolan made that movie anyone but you. The Glenn Powell Sidney Sweeney movie is loosely based on Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing, So like all these things actually did have what you might call IP, but they did it in a new and fun way. And that's the thing is I think that it's like, Okay, do it based on IP, but be risk taking with it, like I think Deadpool has done so well because Ryan Reynolds just so leaned into like this is actually going to be the most intense rated R movie, like it's not a superhero movie for the family, and so I wish the risks were taken more. But both vincevonn and Sabrina Carpenter are talking about the same thing, which is we need to get back to risk taking and creativity. Because what I can tell you is that every movie and every song that's like ever touched anybody came from people. It came from something that people like connected to in their hearts. It didn't come from like, oh, I played the ship Battleship or I played the game Battleship as a kid. It didn't come from like like Barbie wasn't big because it was like, oh I played with a Barbie as a kid. It was big because of the statements that made about women and how women related to the moments and the movie like The Bachelor. I don't know. I guess you could argue the ip there is everybody wants to find love, everybody wants to get married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the oldest story in the book. We all want love, we all want to belong, we all want to be a part of something special and watch it.
Speaker 2: But people connected to the shower and I think The problem I'm saying is soulless movies are being made. It's not really about where you get the idea. It's like, is the movie a good movie or is it just a soulless movie that somebody made because they thought, well, we have this intellectual property, and if we just check these boxes and just bam out a script and throw a lot of money at the action sequences, well then it's going to be a box officer.
Speaker 1: You know. It's funny and you mentioned television, and there's so many stories of great art that nobody wanted to do. Survivor No one wanted to touch that. With a thousand foot poll, it's the longest running, most successful reality show on TV bar none. It was on a year or so before The Bachelor. It went around over and over and over and Barnette finding was.
Speaker 2: Like he was pitching it and no one wanted to really I want.
Speaker 1: To touch it. Mark Burnette's finally like, fine, I'm just going to buy the I'm on CBS, and they did. The Bachelor was passed around, you know, all over town, dancing with the stars. I remember being in the in the in the control room when they were talking about this dancing show. Nobody wanted it. It went around to every network, everybody passed. It's that is a story oldest time. But great art often is kind of misunderstood and then it's hard to find. But I think art is suffering right now. It really is with whether it's the music industry, whether it's movies, whether it's television. Everybody's looking for a correction and nobody's found it yet. No one's kind of figured out the way. I think the strike obviously hurt us. And there's finally we went to the movies, and we went to Deadpool the other night, and we finally saw several very interesting movies coming up and like Wicked intellectual Property, Yeah that's coming up, Beetlejuice, intellectual property, that's coming up.
Speaker 2: Although Vince Vaughn did say he was like, I think we're heading towards a turn and feels like I agree, it feels like it. I feel hopeful. I think that because I think actually what's helped is that Deadpool, aside the past couple Marvel movies have not hit that number in the same way. Now, granted they just pulled Robert Downey Junior to now play Doctor Doom, so they're still trying to like kind of reinvent the Marvel movie thing and reinvigorate it because it's such a cash cow. But I do think that those signs of audience fatigue will hopefully bring like some of you know, it's like everything old becomes new again. Try the rom com again. You know, we all want to see a rom com, so we'll see. But I just thought Vince Vaughn probably put it better than anybody I've heard.
Speaker 1: Saying eliquent by the way, I was kind of bombed a that anybody gave him grief for that. Like, go listen to the interview, which nobody does anymore, but go listen to what he said. He was very articulate, very eloquent. I've never heard Vince Vaughn actually speak from the heart like that, and I really enjoyed his insight. It was really fantastic to listen to speaking of success and intellectual property the Olympics.
Speaker 2: What's the intellectual property of the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Those rings, No, the Olympic IOC, the International Olympic Committee. There, it's killing it. I was I was very interested. I was looking up the ratings. The ratings are soaring, they are smashing records. And I was wondering how well this would do because I used to dislike the Olympics when they were overseas because you would just go to NBC at night and they would do their primetime coverage and you would only get what they got. So it's like this slow trickle. There's a thousand sports going on and you just got what they wanted you to see. Well, now we're kind of in this new modern era where we're really drinking from a fire hydrant. It's almost too much, and I was thinking, is it too broad? We're on USA, we're on TNT, we're on Peacock, we're on NBC, We're on CNBC and MSNBC. There's sports everywhere. You turn on YouTube TV and there's like that. It's just so much. It's an assault on the census. So I thought, are we so scattered? And then Mike Tarico, who is phenomenal, he's a legend, and he is hosting for NBC this year and a great choice to host the primetime coverage, and he's really doing a good job. And NBC's still they're still They've done a brilliant job of somehow making it fresh at night even though all the sports are taking place during the day here in America.
Speaker 2: What about Mike Trica? What do you like?
Speaker 1: You they've just done it. They just do a good job of I've watched a lot of this stuff during the day because that's the other thing is, so back in the day, you would never see what's going on in the middle of the day in France, you know, primetime there, so we wouldn't know. Like maybe you could see it eventually on the computer and stuff as things were coming out, but you didn't get to see it till at night. So say Carl Lewis won the one hundred meter dash, he's the fastest man in the world, or maybe the long jump, you would see that at seven o'clock tonight when NBC decided to show it. Same thing with you know some owe Biles and our gymnastics team. I watch them during the day, but somehow they repackaged it and made it fresh at night as well.
Speaker 2: They do. You just think they're doing a good job.
Speaker 1: I know, I think they've done a fabulous job.
Speaker 2: I haven't been watching it as intently as you because sports. But what I do love is when sports get emotional and the Olympics. That's the Olympics. I mean, when you see someone who's been working so long, the fact that it's every four years they've come here to like make their dreams come true. When it is you know, typically a lot of people you've never heard of before and then this is their moment, you know their lives are going to change. And the fact that we can come together and even though to be honest, I've i haven't felt as much unity as I've wanted, but like support each other as a country. I think the controversy around the opening ceremonies put a bit of a stain on like the unity feeling of it. But still it's like we're coming together pride in America, like we need this right now. I mean, I love America. I'm so grateful I'm from America and to see people champions hoist up the flag and be proud is definitely something that we need right now. I think just today, as we're recording this, we had just watched Gabby Thomas, our fellow Austin resident graduate of UT I know she's originally from Atlanta, but she lives here in Texas. Now just kill it in am I getting this right babe. The two hundred meter dash. Yeah, absolutely. I don't know what event I'm watching, but I do know that I love seeing her pull ahead of the pack and then like cry and be joyful and see her family and hold up the flag and.
Speaker 1: Boss Harvard grad.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, she's gorgeous, smart athletic. Like I just tope her career skyrockets from here. And I know she's already doing very well, but what an achiever, what an all star. Congrats to Gabby.
Speaker 1: I love watching her and she's she's been the darling of our tracting. We're you know they It's one of those things we there is. The thing about sports is interesting is there's the expectations and in track and field when you're talking about the one hundred meter dash and if y'all watch it the other night, the American one and I mean Jerry Seinfeld actually has a good bit that's resurfaced where he's like the difference at the Olympics where you're Mount Rushmore immortalized, your a legend and he kind of like there's a nose, right, he sticks this legend and he pulls his head back forgotten never heard of meaning milliseconds can separate someone from the greatest achievement in the history of sports and someone who's obsolete. It's like that that amount, that razor thin edge is fascinating to watch.
Speaker 2: Well. The level of competition I've also seen going around on like Instagram and stuff the past couple days, people comparing footage from decades ago versus now, Like how much more athletic people are now, how much more they're doing in their sport is just wild. The level of achievement and the level of competition.
Speaker 1: When they have the side by side swimming from like you know, the thirties or whatever to work.
Speaker 2: The gymnastics basically decades ago, they're just kind of like doing a flip and now you look at Simone Biles is doing seventeen flips.
Speaker 1: If you saw what Nadia comany Each did or even Mary lou Rettin was at ninety four Olympics in La it just doesn't compare to what Simone Bials and those ladies did.
Speaker 2: Can I say something that's a little bit sad, but well, one thing that's put in perspective for me is how trash our healthcare system and like the food that we get for normal people are not is now because when you see these Olympians, you realize how fit we all could be. Like, the reason they're in such great shape now is the advance of research and science and technology and awareness of what does well for the human body. Right, But like, the average American is so much less healthy than they were all those decades ago. Yea, Like our Olympians are in better shape, but our average American is in worse shape. So anyway, that's just like literally kind of a side depressing note and a reminder to eat naturally and get out and walk outside, every buddy.
Speaker 1: The stories. A couple of stories that stood out to me that aren't that we're kind of off the front pages are women's rugby team I've fallen in love with. I started watching the seven on seven rugby, which is so fun to watch, but we won a gold medal and it was they are They were so fun and I've been following a couple of them on social media and they are just cracking me up. Speaking of Harvard grads, this thirty one year old Harvard grad who won the gold medal in US in open road cycling. Her name is Kristin Faulkner, who didn't grow up cycling. She moved to New York and she grew up in the outdoors and just wanted to pick it up. So she was cycling around Central Park. Wasn't even like meant to be in this, but whoever was going to ride for us backed out. She got in and destroyed the competition, made this late move at the end and just took off from the most heralded cyclists in the world, you know, the Dutch, the French, the Italians, the people that are known for cycling. And this American woman absolutely pulled away in the gutsiest performance and just destroyed the field. And she is what a crazy story. She grew up in like Alaska, then went and then she moved to San Francisco because she was in a financial district and working as a financial analyst. Just a wild story.
Speaker 2: Well again, that's what's cool about the Olympics, right is anybody do something else? I know? And it is I have loved the NBC has done some incredible little like mini bio like mini biography videos. Yes on them. And you see you know a guy who's like literally working a day job and he like a remote I don't know, he's a job in marketing, or something, and he's like, and then I train at night for the Olympics.
Speaker 1: It's so impressive what these people are sponsored by other people.
Speaker 2: So okay, if you if it was like Chris, you need to pick a sport tomorrow to try to become an Olympian in what do you think you have the best chance at.
Speaker 1: I'm the best chance at soccer?
Speaker 2: Are there soccer Olympics?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are they part of this?
Speaker 1: The men got knocked out, Yeah, the US men got knocked out. The women the women, uh just moved on today. We're taping this on Tuesday, and the women just advanced big running Germany.
Speaker 2: Overall. Are our gals doing better from America? I've heard more about obviously our women's gymnastics team. Congrats to them killing it ladies. And then like in the pool DECKI yeah, yeah, there's that one. No, No, I'm trying to think I've heard a lot more. Well, I mean with the pommel horse guy, he crushed it.
Speaker 1: His life is said. I love the people whose lives are literally changing as you see.
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, and that's a beautiful thing about social media is that you know, in years past, the few and far between Olympians would get like a Wheaties box cover and they make some money. But social media has made it so that these Olympians can get true careers on Instagram or whatever out of working so hard for this achievement. But yeah, I've definitely can think of more like female stories out of the Olympics and Mail well, I.
Speaker 1: Mean one of the biggest stories in the pool of the Alma Shan. But you know what's interesting is a lot of these French, a lot of these people though we're talking about our American well, they basically are American.
Speaker 2: Uh Like he went to school in the Arizona right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to Arizona State and he trained with Michael Phelps and Bowman, the kid who.
Speaker 2: Are eltally surprising myself with my amount of not right now. I think it's just because of social media.
Speaker 1: You watched pole vaul lesson by the way, did you see the gentleman Unfortunately, and we know he's a gentleman that lost the pole vault because his manhood.
Speaker 2: I think we can say penis. The headlines said his man tackle. That that's a redneck word for penis. His penis knocked him out. He lost literally he knocked Yeah, yeah, well that you know if you're going to go out, at least didn't just fall into face. That's that's the way that's going to get people talking in a good way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's going to get lost. He'll get some interesting endorsements after this is over. But the young man who.
Speaker 2: Won, there's always stories about the hookups.
Speaker 1: And he broke his own world record. Armand du plantis Swedish. He won for Sweden last night. His parents are the coaches at LSU, ran track at LSU. He's at LSU, and he went over and did an interview. He sounds more redneck and American than I do. And a lot of what's cool is you see a lot of these women, like we were watching track today, they all race against each other at American colleges. You know, most of them are at American universities, and it's which is really cool. There's a lot of Austin ut swimmers, runners from the University of Texas and the Olympics, so it's kind of fun to keep up with where everybody's from. But over all, the Olympics, I think, you know, look, I know the opening ceremonies were politically a disaster and they really missed the mark. But they're French. What do you expect?
Speaker 2: I mean, the French are a little more naked than the rest of By the way, I'm not like defending it.
Speaker 1: I know it was silly and it missed the mark, and I think.
Speaker 2: It missed the mark. And I've talked to my friends about it. We'd actually came up on the girls trip, and some people were offended by it, and someoneed and some people were very offended by it. I just think, ultimately, like the French push the envelope more, and maybe this wasn't the time to push the envelope, but like that's their culture.
Speaker 1: I just I guess my final question why why?
Speaker 2: Because they're French, I.
Speaker 1: Know, but that's the thing. It's like, did you need it? Like?
Speaker 2: Why? All right? I think overall, when you're on that big literally on a world stage, it's better to just keep it more neutral.
Speaker 1: I'll be interested to see what we do in four years, because it's coming to Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: I know they've been claiming to be redoing LAX for I don't even know how Tommy Cruz. Guess what, guys, lax looks no different.
Speaker 1: Little Tommy Cruise is going to do some kind of a stunt in the closing ceremonies for France. Yeah, for in France because it's kind of the there's always that traditional hand off to Los Ange, hand off to the next site of it.
Speaker 2: Is that why Tom Cruise is doing it. So Tom Cruise is going to catapult into America doing the Olympics.
Speaker 1: There's always a traditional handing over of the flame, handing over something where they will dim the flame in Paris and it will move to Los Angeles and I'll be honestly, what.
Speaker 2: I thought this was was I thought that it was some kind of promo for Mission Impossible, for the Mission Impossible that was supposed to come out this summer, but that has ultimately been delayed. But I thought that Tom was just like, I'll just do this stuff.
Speaker 1: We're tying this into Hollywood. This is a welcome to America. Hollywood is next this.
Speaker 2: Well, that's cool. I love when sports and entertainment cross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it'll be cool. They hopefully they will not miss the mark, especially since Tom Cruise is doing some kind of crazy stunt right Oh, I can't wait to see what he does. But overall, take away the opening ceremonies very successful Olympic Games. It's been fun to watch, fun to dive in, fun to just cheer for these people from all walks of life, from all corners of our great country.
Speaker 2: Now, of course, there have been the headlines about the hookups in the Olympic village. Yes, people were joking, like, are the cardboard beds they had made gonna like hold up for the hookups. I saw some of the athletes jumping on the beds to test them. I think it was the women's rugby team. The beds seemed very solid.
Speaker 1: The Paraguayan swimmer got sent home because she's I guess been a little too active. Yes, and the Paraguayan contingent they sent her home. It wasn't the Olympic committee Paraguay there. Their Olympic committee sent her home. She's quite pretty, very beautiful model.
Speaker 2: And oh my gosh, I'm reading the headline kicked out of Olympic village first inappropriate behavior. Yes, the twenty year old athlete who retired from the sport after she had failed to advance out of her heat was asked to leave for creating an inappropriate environment.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't these people be hooking up?
Speaker 2: These are the best I fully support it.
Speaker 1: These are the most beautiful athletic They are in peak performance, the peak time of their lives. Let them procreate.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay. A separate report, The Daily Mail said she was deemed a distraction for wearing skimpy clothing and socializing with other athletes. Well, first of all, some of the uniforms are skimpy. So what do you mean was she just in her uniform? Like I mean, if you walked around in your beach volleyball custome, if you're in your men's speedo, aren't you in skimpy clothing? And I agree with you. These are beautiful, incredibly fit people, probably a lot of them single, and this is their work. Where do you expect them to meet people? They could find marriages out of this.
Speaker 1: I would love to see statistics as people leave and hear some stories. Are there any Olympic babies coming out of the village.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if there ever have been before. But this is nothing new. There's always been hookups in the Olympic village.
Speaker 1: They started providing condoms in the village at one of the Olympics and these look, these people have got it.
Speaker 2: Relax.
Speaker 1: These people are sent up and as soon as they're done, it's like time to party. One other baller guy who I don't think he's going to become famous because I think he's probably in hiding now. The Turkish pistol shooters, Oh yes, oh my god.
Speaker 2: The joke was is this just a hip man they pulled off the street. That was a joke.
Speaker 1: It's like low key. They were like, good job finishing second, getting the silver because they didn't want to bring too much attention to the guy. So when you're shooting pistols, you are usually you have all these contraptions and glasses and sights and optics and so you can shoot. He walked in nothing as you would call it, as the kids would call it, raw dog. He raw dogged the Olympics, just held his pistol one hand. No, he had glasses on, but they were just for his eyesight. They weren't special and just was a champ.
Speaker 2: I saw on Instagram that he's a cat and someone said, nobody better ever hurt this cat, or we're gonna have a Turkish John Wick on our hands. Seriously, these are the fun stories that we love. And speaking of hooking up with your fellow athletes, our last headline of this episode. So CBS does an article about how the new place to meet people like they're dubbing it a new trend is inn' run clubs, and Chris and I were just honestly kind of laughing about this. On the one hand, I'm glad this is happening. In the article they say that, you know it's a new trend why more single people are ditching online dating and turning to running clubs. Tired of spending their days swiping on dating apps, single people across the country are now hitting the pavement and joining run clubs as a fresh way to meet others. On the one hand, so glad this is happening. I think dating apps have had their moment, and they've proven that they are not very good. Like all the studies that I see are like, people are more miserable than ever with dating. Dating apps are not good. They encourage like It means that if one little thing goes wrong in a relationship, at the touch of a swipe, you can see what else is out there. People aren't forced to work at things. It's depressing. It's all about judging a book by its cover. I'm not a dating app fan. I think they've had their chance and have proven to not be very great. I know a few people who have met mostly on Hinge for some reason shout out to Hinge, but overall I know more disaster stories than dream.
Speaker 1: Stories or just hook up stories. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just think this is funny though, because they're acting like it's new, right, Like did.
Speaker 1: You just invent meeting people in person? Idiot reminds me, you know what it's giving. It's giving The girl who during the pandemic said she invented a drink where you put vodka and soda together with limes.
Speaker 2: She called it a video. She called it blackout water, and it was someone's like, you invented.
Speaker 1: A vodcast, So you these people have invented meeting.
Speaker 2: Just dating, but just literally dating.
Speaker 1: So but while I just I really do believe in this, and I really do believe this is a wonderful trend that we are getting out of our phones and getting back to real life and meeting people. And instead of meeting someone at a bar where you are drinking blackout water and it's dark and you're drinking, and I love the positive daytime and meeting where you're seeing people being athletic, being sober being. I love that and it's a very safe space because and I was down in downtown Austin at a meeting one night and I happen to be at this place called the me Night Cat, and apparently that's where they meet to go on this running club.
Speaker 2: They meet at a bar.
Speaker 1: I love that because what they do is they run, then they end up back at the bar on the a beer. So it's kind of both. It's kind of cocktail hour and there's different levels of they Because the lake is right there, Ladybird Lake that goes kind of through downtown Austin. You can run and there's different there's different mileages, so you can just run for a mile, you can run for the three mile. There's like a six mile loop for the more serious. And this is kind of this kind of goes along with all the walks and all these things. But there were hundreds of people at this run, and I was sitting there watching it. I quit caring about why I was there and started watching this, fascinated at these really attractive young men and women getting off work and coming to run together and all chatting and talking. And they went and ran, and they all came back and settled in and had a cold beer, and I'm like, what a wonderful creator.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, no, completely, look there, I'm on board. An episode of Sex and the City comes to mind. Keep in mind Sex and the City was in the early two thousands. There's literally an episode where Miranda meets a guy through her run club. Like that. This isn't new, it's not new, But again you agree, I'm glad it's happening.
Speaker 1: It's really trending, which I'm happy about.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like how podcasts reinvented radios. I mean, I saw a tweet not too long ago where someone said I wish there was a live podcast where I could get the news really quickly. And someone replied and said, that is the radio. It already exists.
Speaker 1: It's called local news.
Speaker 2: But everything old becomes new again, And I agree, I'm glad. I think we are in a moment like between us kind of like getting to this time now where we're seeing how unhealthy it's been for people to grow up with social media and for little kids to have screens in their hands. You know, people are craving community, they're craving things that we all loved years ago. Original movie ideas going to do things together in person, not being on a screen all the time. And absolutely it is better to meet someone in this way. I mean, if you can find love on a dating app, find love however you can. Everybody has a different story. But do I think it's more successful, more statistically likely for you to find a good relationship through a communal activity. Absolutely I do. And we've lost a lot of those communities, like people have their online groups now, but I think about my grandparents. They had such a community of people through church, you know, through church, through like hanging out with their friends were through church or like YMCAs used to be a great place for people to go and meet. I find especially because we know so many college age kids through the kids. Like they have asked us before, like how do you make friends after college? And the advice I always give them is find an in person activity and go do it consistently and wherever you move to for your job, like you're going to make friends through work, but also join a local run club, join something where and go to it consistently, because you might not make friends on the first time, but when you start to become regular, that's how you meet people.
Speaker 1: The toughest thing in meeting anybody is the icebreaker. What is the commonality? What gets the conversation started. If you're at a run club and you're just jogging, oh hey, well you've been here, you already have a shared injus you already have You already have the conversation starter, and then if it's interesting, you can move on from that. If you're in a bowling league, softball, community, theater, whatever it is, there's ways to turn your passion and your interests into a way to meet people. If you are lonely, if you are looking to meet somebody or whatever. It is a great way to when you move and to make friends. It didn't have to be a lover, right, You can make friends that way. If you're a guy and you just moved to Austin and you want to meet other dudes, well go meet other dudes that do what you do. There's paddle boarding, there's there's all.
Speaker 2: These things I do, like a men's you know, baseball team or something like that.
Speaker 1: Get involved. You know.
Speaker 2: The toughest thing they today you are.
Speaker 1: But the toughest thing is the icebreaker. And that is such a huge part of it. And that alleviates that, and that's one thing that apps our phones cannot overcome.
Speaker 2: And I think don't be discouraged if on the first time you don't make a friend, or if, like you know, if some activity you try doesn't work out. I think when I first moved to la I went to like Missoo alumni events, and I just didn't really connect with anybody at any of those. I don't probably honestly because I think what they always did was meet up to watch football games. And I was like, we have the shared experience that we went to Miszoo, but we don't have the shared experience that I want to be here watching this football game. So that didn't work out for me. But you know, like I went to the same yoga classes over and over again, and I kind of like found friends that way. Definitely met people through work, but I didn't get along with great with everybody at work. So right all, you also have to know that, like, not every relationship you pursue is going to be successful. Keep trying anyway.
Speaker 1: You got to put yourself out there. As Lauren said, not only do you have to go more than once showing up once just standing in the corner and no one talked to me. You also have to put yourself out there, you know, walk around the club and like again you have the ice breaker, just bea like, hey, it's my first time anything I need to know on this run? How many times have you been here? Like boom, you're in a conversation. It's very easy because everybody's kind of disarmed because they're there for the same run.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's a great group in Austin if you're here for women called No Girl Walks Alone. You and I went and kind of surprised them at an event last year. They meet every Wednesday at six thirty and it's just a walking club and they go and walk and like chat and Hot Girl walks. Yeah, started out as a trend called Hot Girl Walks. It's now called No Girl Walks Alone. If you are here and want to check it out, shout out to them. But yeah, I uh, what things should what old things should become new again? Anything come to mind to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we've reinvented local news in.
Speaker 2: Radio, walking, running people and media people as humans coming together in a human way.
Speaker 1: And I think we also covered movies need to come back, like so school.
Speaker 2: Movies, everything old It's time for you to become new again. We are ready to come together as a country and be unified and hang out together in person and be proud to be from America and go see a great movie and watch sports and I love it all.
Speaker 1: Oh what a great way to end on that.
Speaker 2: What an incredibly all encompassing way to I'm listen. So let's go.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for listening, and we will do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.