Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio, Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good Morning.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today. Karen, we begin with politics. Both Republicans and Democrats are saying they are worried about the potential for violence this election season. Bloomberg's Amy Morris reports from Washington.
Speaker 3: The latest Bloomberg News Morning Consult poll finds half of swing state voters say they're worried about violence surrounding the presidential election. The poll results suggest Republicans, Democrats, and even more independents have misgivings about how the race will be received by a polarized electorate. Six and ten swing state voters, mostly Democrats, are worried about misinformation, and almost half, mostly Republicans, expressed similar concerns about foreign interference. In Washington, Amy Morris, Bloomberg Radio, Thank you.
Speaker 1: About Voters headed to the polls in four states for primary elections in Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, and Oregon. But one of the key races to watch was a special election in California for former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy's old seat. State Representative Vince Fong won that race with about sixty percent of the vote over fellow Republican sheriff Mike Boudreau. That brings Republican slim majority in the House to two hundred and eighteen. As for the presidential race, two states held primaries at that level. Both President Biden and former President Trump added to their delegate counts, but in Kentucky, the president took just seventy one point three percent of the vote. Seventeen point nine percent of Democrats voted uncommitted. Biden fared veteran Oregon. He won there with eighty eight point two percent. Former President Trump ran unopposed in Oregon, and in Kentucky he won with eighty four point nine percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: As for Georgia Karin, the key races to watch there were for the prosecutor and the judge in Donald Trump's election interference trial, and they both came up winners. Bloomberg zed Baxter has that part the story.
Speaker 4: If Prosecutor Fannie Willis wins the general election in Atlantis Fulton County, she will continue to prosecute the case. Willis last year obtained a sprawling iracteuring indictment against Trump and eighteen others Willis going in, had a very hefty fundraising pot and has run on a campaign that the future of the county should not be controlled by self interested politicians. The county usually votes heavily Democratic. Judge Scott McAfee won an uncontested race. He was randomly assigned to the Trump case by the court. At Baxter Bloomberg Radio, all Right.
Speaker 1: And thank you well, Donald Trump's defense team has rested its case in his hush money trial, with the former president opting not to testify. We get the latest at Bloomberg's John Tucker, John, Good Morning.
Speaker 5: And Karen.
Speaker 6: His lawyers wrapped up their case after calling just two witnesses. The question of whether Donald Trump would testify had been hanging over the trial. He had said previously he would take the stand. In the end, it's likely his attorneys strongly advised him to avoid testify. Flying Well, the juris have been sent home until next week. The judge Wan Marachan told them to return on Tuesday for closing arguments, and he expects they'll start deliberating Trump's fate the next day. After four weeks, the panel has heard from over twenty witnesses, including poor an actress Stormy Daniels, and the prosecution star witness former Trump fixer Michael Cohen. The final witness for the defense was a lawyer who was fiercely criticized by the judge. As this case nears conclusion, Trump is facing three other prosecutions in New York home John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio and John.
Speaker 2: One of those is in Florida, and there is movement there. Prosecutors and defense lawyers in the classified Documents case are do in court today for the first time since the judge indefinitely postponed the trial earlier this month. US District Judge Allen Cannon is scheduled to hear arguments on a request from the former president to dismiss the indictment on grounds that it fails to clearly articulate a crime and instead amounts to quote a personal and political attack against President Trump.
Speaker 1: Well, now turn to the market, Snathan and the big earnings are port. Wall Street has been waiting for Ai chipmaker and Vidia reports after the closing bell today on Bloomberg's Tom Busby has a preview.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 7: In Vidia has seen explosive growth in its data center division and makes the H one hundred chip a so called AI accelerator, at the heart of the burgeoning artificial intelligence boom. It also recently announced a new platform called Blackwell that promises to be even more powerful. One question for investors, though, can it get enough supply from manufacturing partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing to keep up with demand. Consensus calling for total revenue of twenty four point sixty nine billion, most of that from its data centers. Adjusted earnings per share five dollars sixty five cents. Tom buzzby Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Tom, thank you, and as we wait, those in Vidia earnings stocks as a whole stand at all time highs. The S and P five hundred registered its twenty fourth record close of the year. Max Kettner, chief multi asset strategist at HSBC Global Research, tells Bloomberg that earnings have been driving stuff.
Speaker 8: Look at the U S for example, the average earnings beat was around eight and a half to nine percent. When we look at the ten year average from before COVID that was just around four and a half percent. So we just came out of a reporting season where you know, the average earnings beat was almost twice as high compared to the pre COVID history like what's not to.
Speaker 9: Like with that.
Speaker 2: HSBC's Max Ketner also says inflation is not yet fully defeated and.
Speaker 1: Nathan, that's a sentiment we are hearing more and more from a course of Fed officials. Feder Reserve Governor Christopher Waller says he needs to see more positive news on inflation before cutting.
Speaker 10: Rates in the absence of significant weakening in the labor market. I need to see several more months of good inflation data before I would be comfortable supporting and easing in the stance of monetary policy.
Speaker 1: And Fed Governor Christopher Waller added that April consumer price figures where a reassuring signal that price pressures are not accelerating. Policymakers have not adjusted the benchmark interest right now at a twenty three year high since July, Well.
Speaker 2: Karen, Inflation is also in focus in Europe. Let's get the latest done that with Bloomberg's un Potts in London, Ewan.
Speaker 11: Nathan and Karen a sticky inflation shock for the Bank of England. Consumer prices in the UK rows two point three percent in the year to April, down from three point two percent the previous month. But that was a smaller drop than expected and mostly due to falling household energy bills. The core measure of inflation also dropped less than expected, and services inflation, something the UK Central Bank says it's watching closely well that barely budged, coming in at five point nine percent. In London. I'm une Pots, Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Radio, rand you and thanks well. Barclays is the latest firm that wants workers to return to the office. The bank is weighing whether to require US workers to commute to company offices five days a week. Source to say some managers have started warning employees to prepare to commute daily, and.
Speaker 2: In another banking note, Karen, the UK has fined City Group almost eighty million dollars for failures in its trading systems and controls. In twenty twenty two, a London staffer's fat finger trade caused a flash crash in European stocks. The blunder sparked a five minute worldwide cell off, wiping out three hundred and twenty six billion dollars at one point.
Speaker 1: It's time now for look at some of the their stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg so Michael Barr Michael, good Morning.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Karen. Norway, Ireland and Spain recognized a Palestinian state. Today's historic move drew condemnation from Israel and jubulation from the Palestinians. Israel ordered back its ambassadors from Norway and Ireland. Israel's Foreign Minister, Israel Katz, says that Ireland and Norway intend to send a message today to the Palestinians and the whole world. Terrorism pays. Multiple people have died and at least a dozen were injured since a powerful tornado tour through a small Iowa town. The twister destroyed homes and businesses, shredded trees, and smashed cars. The tornado destroyed much of the small Iowood town of Greenfield. Iowa State Patrol Sergeant Alex Dinklink.
Speaker 2: We're looking at just making sure that we have everybody accounted for.
Speaker 5: Tuesdays saw multiple tornadoes, giant hail, and heavy rain in several states. The National Transportation Safety Board will help investigate the sudden and severe turbulence that forced the emergency landing of a Singapore Airline's flight from London in Bangkok yesterday. There is at least one death and dozens were injured. This passenger was on the flight.
Speaker 9: Honestly, I didn't understand at all the full scale of what happened until we landed. The dents that were made in the overhead large compartments, and all the additional kind of paneling of heads that literally pushed through and broken those classic panels, and there's blood today.
Speaker 5: Singapore Airlines CEO Go Chun Pong says his company is deeply saddened by the tragedy.
Speaker 12: A relief flight with one hundred and forty three of the SQ three to one passengers and crew members who are able to travel, lended in Singapore this morning.
Speaker 5: It's believed the seventy three year old British Man who died had a heart attack. The White House announced this morning a new round of student loan forgiveness. According to the Biden administration, more than one in ten Americans with federal student loans have been approved for some measure of debt relief under President Biden. The administration went on to say more than one hundred and sixty thousand borrowers will benefit from the latest package, valued at seven point seven billion dollars. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you wanted with the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 1: Michael, thank you time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John Stashauer Junka morning.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Karen, the Indiana Pacer I have already had playoff upsets of the third seeded Bucks and the second seeded Knicks, and now trying to knock off the top seeded Celtics in the East Finals. Indiana nearly won the series opener in Boston twice. Rallied back to a double digit deficit, had the lead in the final minute of regulation, but had two cost the turnovers and didn't foul. With a three point lead, they let Jalen Brown hit a game time three. Celtics won and over time one thirty three, one twenty eight. Tonight at the Guard it's another East Final Game one Rangers and the Florida Panthers, who also got this far last year went on to the Stanley Cup Final two years ago. In this round, Rangers won the first two games, with Tampa Bay lost the next four. Chris Prider remembered a.
Speaker 14: Couple of years ago we were kind of running on fumes. Two very emotional series, kind of coming from behind, and obviously it was a fantastic experience. We really left that all out there, but I think we we feel like there's a whole other level to what we can do this year.
Speaker 13: Well, the second playoff series ever between these teams, the other back in nineteen ninety seven. Yankees are the first two game losing streets late April let the stadium Mariners at four home runs two by Dylan Moore, beat the Yanks sixty three flavor Torres three run shot for the Yankee runs. Mets in Cleveland hit three homers but never led. Came up short against the Guardian seven six. Red Sox moves over five hundred and five to two win at Tampa Bay Natural's loss of the Twins ten to nothing. Philly's beat Texas moved twenty one over five hundred Rangers.
Speaker 5: Sworez struck out ten.
Speaker 13: He's nine to zero with a one point three six ERA. Many have wondered why, with advanced technology, football games still employ the old fashioned chain gang to determined first downs. The NFL says it will experiment in the preseason with an optical system and if it's successful, it will be used permanently. There'll still be a chain gang, but only as a backup measure. Johns Stash she Edward, Bloomberg Sports, Gary all.
Speaker 1: Right, John, thanks, So we have one other note on the Yankees. Sources say businessman Ray Chambers is renewing efforts to sell him minority stake in the ball club. Chambers is seeking a buyer for the holding. Any Yankee Global Enterprises is the Major League Baseball franchise's parent company.
Speaker 15: Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 16: Good morning.
Speaker 15: I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: Let's get more now on our latest monthly Bloomberg News Morning Consult, Swing State Pole what it says about the mood of voters heading into a contentious twenty twenty four election. For that, we are joined by Bloomberg News National politics reporter Gregory Cordy. Gregory, Good morning. I guess first off, I should ask you where things stand in this latest poll. The dynamics changed in the seven swing states between the president and former President Trump.
Speaker 16: Good morning, Nathan, Well, yeah, I think there's maybe just a little bit of movement. You know, we this is a monthly tracking poll, so we parse it for just even microscopic moves, And what we see this month is that President Biden probably has increased his standing just a little bit with these swing state voters. Overall, if we look across these seven swing states, that's Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, and North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin. We look across those states, we've gone from President Trump Foreign President Trump being up by six points to now being up by only four. And the states that we are looking at most closely are those blue Wall states, those northern industrial states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin. President Biden continues to be very competitive there. They're all within a point or two. But Foreign President Trump continues to lead in those other states in the Sun Belt, except for Nevada. Nevada is the one sort of inscrutable one state that we have this month. Trump was leading by eight points last month now instead even there's a high margin of error in that state, So not quite sure how to interpret that. But overall, this is a pretty good pall for Joe Biden if he's going to make up ground.
Speaker 2: In terms of the issues that we've talked about this time around, we've gotten some pretty interesting insights about what voters are concerned about heading toward November.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you talk about the mood of the American people, and I'd have to say the mood is somewhat anxious about this election. Half of these swing state voters say they're concerned about the possibility of violence in the November election and its aftermath. You know, we've seen protests over you know, Black Lives Matter over the past few years now, pro Palestinian protests, but also of course January sixth, there's a lot of concern that if the other half of the country doesn't get its way, there could be violence, but also fears about misinformation, disinformation, foreign interference, election fraud. These are all sort of widely held, some more than others by the American people, and it's just sort of reflective of going into a very contentious and polarizing presidential election. People sort of feel that tension.
Speaker 2: Talking of the polarization, Greg Greed. Do those concerns cut across party lines or are they felt more by one side than the other.
Speaker 16: What's interesting about that violence question is that they're felt pretty exactly equally by both Democrats and Republicans, and interestingly, independents who are seeing it on both ends have even higher fears of violence on some of those other questions, on foreign interference and on misinformation a little bit more Republican or Democratic depending on the question. But yeah, these are pretty broadly held fears across the American electorate.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app. SERIUSXM. The iHeartRadio app and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak