Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin, And this is our second week doing three episodes back to back to back in a week. So today we're gonna get takeaways Quirtchins on a crazy Baseball weekend. Tomorrow because the NFL Draft is coming up this week, we're gonna have Mel Kiper, who obviously is just a character of all characters, Dat and an NFL expert in a draft expert for ESPN.
Speaker 2: Right, can't wait for Mel? Way?
Speaker 3: Do you listen to how weird Mel is? But weird in a really good way?
Speaker 1: And then of course another episode on Thursday to get you through your work week. So wherever you're listening right now, make sure to hit that subscribe button, whether it's on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, YouTube, you name it, we're there. And you can also listen at Great Game or what dot com, Share the podcast with a friend. Easter weekend is behind this.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, and I think a lot of families go through this, there was some sickness in the Kirkchten family, so we were unable to all be together. We were supposed to be doing this episode together. But Dad, in natural dad fashion, I get a weekend at home when I was supposed to be traveling. So what did I do? Did I go out and play golf with friends?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Did I spend extra time with the family? Kind of What I did was completely repainted the playground in my backyard because when my wife found out that we aren't traveling this weekend, she said, time for projects.
Speaker 2: Jeff.
Speaker 1: I completely redid our playground, sanded it, stripped it, repainted it, and then I redid the border that the playground sits on and brought in all new mulch.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I'm gonna ask you again, are you sure you are my son? Because as we've acknowledged from the poor Pop Pop segment on this podcas cast, that I stink at so many things. All I tried to do for Easter weekend was put a picture of Brooks Robinson, a poster of Brooks Robinson into a frame. A child could have figured this out and I couldn't, so I had to give it to your mom my wife, Kathy, who of course did it in five minutes, did it perfectly. Whereas you were out painting and putting together an entire playground in your backyard.
Speaker 2: I am so honest to god, Jeff's so proud of you.
Speaker 3: I just don't know how you're so good at this when you are my son.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I did make a standard dad mistake, though, and that was completely underestimating how much mulch we would need. I think every man and woman who has done any yard work has done that. We got twenty bags, Dad, and I went back get this. I went back to the store. I got twenty more bags, right, and then I laid out twenty bags and I'm going back after we record the podcast to get twenty more. So Dad, not only did I miss it, I missed times three. R Think about how bad that is, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I've done it before, I've multiplied it by four and still not had enough, Which is why I don't do the mulch anymore, because I'm not very good at it and I'm really bad accounting.
Speaker 1: You ever look at it and you're like, oh, if I just doubled what I did, that would be good. And now I was completely wrong. So that was my Easter weekend. To everybody else who celebrated, a happy Easter to you, and we're excited.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: Let's dive right in because you said before we even started recording, this was a crazy weekend in baseball, and you are not prone to hyperbole, Dad, So I'm excited to hear what you have for the takeaways.
Speaker 3: Well, we have to start with Friday at Wrigley Field. The Cubs beat the Diamondbacks thirteen to eleven. Sixteen runs were scored in the eighth inning. That's the most run scored in any inning in the history of Wrinkley Field, which of course goes back over one hundred years. It was insane. It was the first nine inning game, nine inning game ever in which both teams scored at least ten runs from the seventh inning on. So the Diamondbacks got ten runs in the top of the eighth, the Cubs got six in the bottom of the eighth to win. So the Cubs became the seventh team ever to give up ten runs in one inning in a game and still win.
Speaker 2: The game, which is incredible.
Speaker 3: But the interesting part, the most interesting part to me was that the official score in the game gave the victory to Ryan Presley, who pitched the ninth inning for the Cubs in a save situation. He comes into the game, I had thirteen to eleven. He pitches the top of the ninth, which in any case is a save. Instead, the official scorer gave him the victory because he thought that Ethan Roberts, who had gotten the last out of the top of the eighth, therefore would have made him the winning pitcher. Because the team took the lead in the bottom of the eighth, The official scorer used his discretion here and gave the save to a no save in the game.
Speaker 2: He gave the win to Ryan Presley because he.
Speaker 3: Didn't feel like anyone deserved the victory for the Cubs who had pitched in that eighth, And he do follow this, well.
Speaker 1: It's because and correct me if I'm wrong. Ethan Roberts only faced two batters. The first batter he faced, he gave up a solo homer and then he got one out. So he pitched one third of an inning, gave up one run, and recorded one out. So the official scorer has the discretion to determine was it a win outing, was it an outing that deserved the win? And I think it was a great call. Some people might say, oh, overreach, but because technically yes, he was the pitcher of record when they came back and won, but he didn't do he gave up a run, he.
Speaker 2: Got one out.
Speaker 1: I don't think he put in the work to deserve the win. So I love the call on the official scores.
Speaker 3: The official score has the discretion to decide win or save in that situation. So I got three different text messages Jeff, just from friends of mine saying have I ever seen this before?
Speaker 2: And the answer is I have.
Speaker 3: Many years ago, Mariano Rivera was going for the all time save record and he was in a similar spot and the official score gave him a victory because no one else before him pitched effectively.
Speaker 2: Enough to get the victory.
Speaker 3: And marianno greatest guy in the world, said hey, I'd rather have the save than the victory. But they gave him the victory nonetheless, So these things can happen.
Speaker 2: Just another reminder.
Speaker 3: Official scorer job is very difficult, and when you asked the official scorer to give more discretion to something, I'm not sure that's always a great idea. The game should tell you exactly who's the winner and who gets the same.
Speaker 1: You know, I know I'm jumping ahead, Dad, but and we talked about when we wanted to talk about Max Freed, but I think we have to talk about it here now that we're talking about official scorers.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, right now, this is it.
Speaker 1: So Max Freed actually lost a no hitter in the eighth inning, but he really lost it in the sixth inning. Let me explain. So the Yankees were playing at Steinbrennerfield against the Rays, and Max Freed gave up an error in the sixth inning. Paul Goldschmid the first basement, tough ball to him running to first is the fastest guy in major leagues, in the major leagues right now, and Chandler Simpson for the Rays, and they ruled it initially, the official scorer ruled it an error in the sixth inning, so we can continue. He's got a no hit bid between the top and the bottom of the eighth inning. The official score changes that error into a hit. So Max Freed lost his no hit bid while he wasn't even on the mound.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jeff, look, first off, I watched the play with Paul Goldschmid, who's an excellent defensive first baseman. I would have scored that a hit initially because it was a tricky second hop, not an easy play, And if you watch where Goldschmidt was on that play, he has ranged way towards second base. Max Freed, great fielding pitcher, would have really had to move in order to beat Chandler Simpson to first base. He might be the fastest player in the league. He's three point nine from home to first in the minor league.
Speaker 2: So what I would have looked at was, even.
Speaker 3: If gold Schmid had handled that cleanly, would he have been able to get it to Max Freed on the run to beat Chandler Simpson to first I would have scored it.
Speaker 2: A hit at Jeff.
Speaker 3: Again, the official scoer has the discretion to change his call at any point during the game, and you can change it after the game once it is reviewed. It was just a cumbersome situation that Max Freed lost his no hitter without giving up a hit.
Speaker 2: But normally, Jeff, it's the other way around.
Speaker 3: Normally, a guy's got a no hitter and suddenly, I mean, he's given up a hit and they change it to an error in order to you know, project his no hitter, which you shouldn't do. But Bill Matthews in this case made a decision that he made a mistake earlier in the game that should have been scored a hit. I know it's tricky, but I am all for the official scorer doing what he did, because again, it's a really really hard job.
Speaker 2: When you examine that play, I think it's a hit.
Speaker 1: Let's move on more takeaways from the crazy weekend in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: What do you got? Well?
Speaker 3: Yoshi Ya Yamamoto of the Dodgers is off to an amazing start. Dodgers, of course, are still at least through Sunday, behind the Padres, who are really good. But Yamamoto, he first five starts thirty five strikeouts, one point zero zero er. So the last Dodger to have an ERA that low with that many strikeouts through five starts was Fernando Valenzuela in nineteen eighty one, which was arguably the greatest start to a season by any pitcher ever. And that was Valnzuela's amazing nineteen eighty one season. Just a reminder how good the Dodgers starting pitching is. And Yamamoto is, who was good last year then got hurt, He's even better this year. And then they're the Brewers, the relentless aggressive Brewers. Jeff Sunday, they stole nine bases in one game.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jeff. There are two teams.
Speaker 3: The Tigers and the A's, who don't have nine stolen bases this year, and the Brewers did it in one game.
Speaker 2: Jeff.
Speaker 3: We're trying to bring the athleticism back into the game by making the bases bigger, and the you know, the the rule where you can't throw over, you know, the to first base more than twice without it being a back.
Speaker 2: All that stuff. It's working. But this is how the Brewers play.
Speaker 3: They put they put pressure on you all the time with the way they run the bases. Also, Euhanio Suarez, I got a kick out of this. He plays, Jeff for the Diamondback. So he's at the plate the other day. I don't know if you saw this, but a pitch went in the dirt and then kind of bounced up in the air.
Speaker 2: While Euhanio Suarez is at.
Speaker 3: The plate, he reflexively takes his right foot and dribbles the baseball on his foot like two or three times, and and then using his left foot, he kicks the ball over towards the dugout. You know what this shows me, Jeff? It shows me that he used.
Speaker 2: To play soccer. And one reason that he's.
Speaker 3: A good Major League baseball player is his feet really work.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: I did a story on omarvus Scale, you know, thirty years ago, about being this unbelievable great defensive shortstop. So I went to see him in Seattle in the off season on Super Bowl Sunday, by the way, And while I was talking to him for this story, we go out into his garage and there's a soccer ball in his garage and he takes the soccer ball and just dribbles it on his foot for like three minutes without losing it. And I said, Omar, when's the last time you did that? He goes, I haven't dribbled a soccer ball in ten years.
Speaker 2: Three minutes. He bounced it.
Speaker 3: Off his foot because he could because he had such great feet. Another reminder, so that Jose I Glaciers guy, the great singer who's also a really good baseball player, Omar Viscale told me.
Speaker 2: And I thought Omar had the greatest hands I've ever seen on anyone.
Speaker 3: He said, Jose Glaci's hands are just as good as mine. But the reason I'm even better than him defensively is because.
Speaker 2: Of my feet.
Speaker 3: So never ever ever lose track on a baseball player.
Speaker 2: How important his feet are. And we saw that from Ujanio Suarez.
Speaker 1: Does it make any difference that Eu Hennio Suarez and Omar Viskel have all of the vowels in both of their names or is that not relating?
Speaker 2: I am so proud of you.
Speaker 3: I taught you about Ujenio Suarez and all the vowels, but I did not recognize that Omar Viskell had all the vowels too.
Speaker 2: Jeff, boy, I have of your favorite guys. I have corrupted you so badly.
Speaker 3: All right, last thing, Jeff, Yesterday at Fenway Park Monday, at Fenway Park, they started a game at eleven ten, which they do once year at Fenway Park.
Speaker 2: It's a special.
Speaker 3: Day and they start a baseball game at eleven ten. And I only bring this up because Dustin Pedroia one of your favorite players, because you're about the same height as Dustin Pedroia. He used to show up Jeff to every game eight hours before the game began, so if it's a seven pm start, he would be there at eleven am. David Ross was once a teammate of his and David Ross is going out for breakfast at eleven o'clock in the morning, and he lives in the same neighborhood as Dustin Pedroya. He sees Perroi and he goes, where are you going? He goes, I'm going to the ballpark, and David Ross goes, It's eleven o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: The game is in eight hours.
Speaker 3: The point is when the Red Sox played that eleven AM game, when Pedroia was there, he would get to the ballpark at three o'clock in the morning. He would alert all the clubhouse guys and all the security guys.
Speaker 2: I'll be year at three in the morning. You better be here for me. How about that, Jack?
Speaker 1: I love that that work ethic is next level from paint.
Speaker 3: That's what he needed to do in order to be ready to play. Get their eight hours in advance.
Speaker 1: Let's jump into the quirk gins from the weekend.
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 3: Well, that thirteen to eleven game was an entire quirk gin, but we also kind of had one Sunday where the Reds beat the Orioles twenty four to two, and Noel v Marte and Austin Wins of the Reds, the eight and nine hitters in the game drove in thirteen runs. So the last time any eight nine hitters drove in that many runs was the famous August twenty two to two thousand and seven game when the Rangers beat the Orioles thirty to three, and Jared Salto, Lamachia and Ramon Vasquez in that game combined for fourteen RBIs out of the eight and nine spots in the order. And that game, of course was also played at Candod Yards.
Speaker 2: Which I got such a big kickout of. So in that thirty to three victory, Wes Lyttleton, if you remember.
Speaker 3: Got the save, which we've got such a kickout of because his team won the game by twenty seven runs, and he got the save because he pitched the last three innings of the game effectively, and by rule, you get the.
Speaker 2: Save for doing that.
Speaker 3: And yesterday, I mean Sunday, Randy Winn of the Reds got the save, his first career save, and he gave that his team won by twenty two russ, which I just how is he ever going to forget his first career save out of the game which is t won twenty four to two. And the other thing, of course, which was mentioned to me several times by my dopey friends, and that's why I love them, is so the battery at the end of that game was Randy Win and Austin wins.
Speaker 2: So that was our battery at the end of the game. People asked me if I noticed that. The answer is, what else do I notice?
Speaker 3: Those are the only things I really care about, our goofy crazy things like that.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of I want to shout out jj Elliott, who messaged us on Instagram at great game or what. You can see exclusive videos and more on our Instagram page, Dad, he said. Saturday in Baltimore, Hunter Green pitched against Brandon Young, making his MLB debut. This is the newbie matchup. It's Young against Green. You know when somebody is green to something, all right?
Speaker 2: I thought that was pretty great.
Speaker 3: Look anytime that our listeners and our viewers are adding to the show, you can count me in Young and Green.
Speaker 2: I like it. That's good, all right.
Speaker 3: Also this week, Jeff the Pirates won a game one to nothing. O'Neil Cruz led off the game with a homer and that was the only run scored. In the game one to nothing on a home run hit.
Speaker 2: By the first batter of the game. The Pirates have been around for well over one hundred years, and that is only the second time a Pirate player ever let off a game with a homer and they ended up winning that game one to nothing.
Speaker 3: Carlos Garcia did it nineteen ninety three against the Marlins.
Speaker 1: And for me, O'Neil Cruz is the only player in Major League Baseball history that I can think of that has a name better if it were switched, he should be Cruise Oz. Every time I see his name, I think, just doesn't feel right to me.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, he was named after Paul O'Neill. That's why he's got the first name, O'Neil Cruise.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And speaking of Cruise, Jeff Dylan Cruz of the Nationals different spelling, crws great young prospect. He went sixty at bats this year, sixty played appearances this year without an RBI, and then he drove in four runs.
Speaker 2: In one game.
Speaker 3: So I checked with Frank at the Elias. When's the last time anyone went sixty played appearances into a season without an RBI and then got four.
Speaker 2: Of them in the next game.
Speaker 3: Ridolfo Castro did that for the Pirates in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: He was the last guy to do it. But things like that jump out to me speak, all right.
Speaker 3: So, Jackson Holiday hit two grands hit his second Grand Slam. Remember of the Orioles, So Frank Robinson. Frank Robinson played six years for the Orioles. He only hit two Grand Slams in six years. Frank one of the great home run hitters of all time. But he hit both those Grand Slams in the same game against the Set in nineteen seventy. I mean, what are the odds of that? In fact, Frank's final thirteen seasons he only hit two Grand Slams total, and they both came in the same game.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. And Jackson Holiday's only twenty one years old and he's done it twice for the Orioles, right on this date in baseball history, Dad, what do you have for us?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Well, in nineteen seventy, Tom Severs struck out nineteen San Diego Padres in a two.
Speaker 2: To one victory. First up, Jeff. Nobody finishes a two to one.
Speaker 3: Game these days, right, there's always a reliever to pitch the ninth. But the point is Tom Seavers set a major league record with ten consecutive strikeouts.
Speaker 2: In that game.
Speaker 3: The point is with the last ten batters he faced. Think about that for a minute, talk about being strong at the end. The last ten batters of that game against Tom sever struck out. So he struck out the last guy of the sixth inning and then struck out the side in the seventh, eighth, and ninth. That's how great Tom Seaver was. We will be talking about him later in this week when we talk about the greatest mets of all time.
Speaker 2: And last thing, Jeff.
Speaker 3: From this date, April twenty second, Tito Francona's birthday. He is sixty five years old. I want to say today, so a happy birthday to Tito. We had him on the on the podcast just about a year ago this time when he was retired manager. Now he's the manager of the Cincinnati Reds. Do you remember any great stories from Tito a year ago.
Speaker 1: Well, my favorite story is the fact that when I had the opportunity to sing the national anthem in Cleveland before a then Indians game, he looked at me and Dad you introduced us. I had met him before, but reintroduced us, and he had said, you know, you said, Jeffson in the national anthem, you know this is going to be great. And he says, Oh, way to go, Jeff, don't f it up. And it totally loosened me. And we talked to him about that because it was one that I will always remember as a longtime performer. That's one thing that was really awesome.
Speaker 3: Terry Francona offering that, of course my favorite Tito story, and I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Tell it again because it's my favorite.
Speaker 3: His first year, his only year at ESPN, they put me in charge of him for some reason because his sense of direction is so bad he needed someone to get him around. So I'm covering spring training with Tito Francona. And the first place they put us on our spring training tour was a place called Camp Wilderness.
Speaker 2: In a It was a Disney property, Jeff. It was not a hotel.
Speaker 3: It was a series, a set of cabins set in the woods.
Speaker 2: You got your own little cabin. So I can't believe what we're looking at. And Tito checks into.
Speaker 3: His cabin and he calls me like five minutes later because they're like, Jeff, it was like there were bunk beds in there.
Speaker 2: It was like we were in the cubs gouts and we're both grown men.
Speaker 3: And he had won two World Series as a member as the manager of the Boston Red Sox. So after about five minutes he called to see if I have the same setup there, because he thought it was a joke.
Speaker 2: He thought like people were.
Speaker 3: Gonna jump out and say, no, no, no, you're not really staying here. So five minutes later he calls me back in my cabin and says, hey, do you want to come over to my cabin. We can go out in the backyard and make some snores. That's what it was like being with Tito.
Speaker 1: He is the man. He is the absolute best. So a happy birthday to Terry Frankcona, thank you so much for being a guest last year. You know, you can always go back. All the episodes are archived wherever you're listening right now, so go back if you miss that interview, especially keeping in mind that we interviewed him while he was on the beach so to speak. You know, he wasn't managing at the time and he was just playing golf a lot so for Cincinnati Reds fans. If we want to get to know Terry Francona even better, maybe go back to season one of Is this a Great Game?
Speaker 2: Or what?
Speaker 1: Scroll around find Terry Francona because he was a heck of a fun interview.
Speaker 3: Right now, Jeff, I need to clarify something from last week's podcast where we talked about, because you know your former umpire little level, I'm a former umpire equally small level. But remember we said last week that any runner who intentionally gets hit by a ground ball and therefore the ball is dead batter gets a hit. The umpire has the discretion to say no, no, you can't do that. You can't step in front of a double play ball get hit on purpose, so you only get one out on the play. What I learned from Rich Mazzati, who's our base is my umpire expert out there. Rich told me a story on why that rule was changed. And in nineteen fifty seven, Don Hokee, a very good third baseman for the Pirates during his day, a very good defender is in that spot as a base runner first and second and he's running to third on this okay ground ball to the shortstop that he knows is going to be a routine double play. John Hoak not only intentionally let it hit him. He caught the ball, he fielded the ball, and it was that play, according to Rich Mazzati, that that's when baseball changed the rule that you cannot do anything like that, because a really clever guy like Don Hoak says, if I get hit by this, there's only one out, and they said no, no, no. He not only got hit by it, Jeff, he fielded a ground ball, just amazing.
Speaker 1: And that was all the jumping off point from the almost no hitter from the unc pitcher in which the final out was made because a runner on first who reached not from a hit but reached otherwise, was hit by a batted ball and the game was over and everybody celebrated like it was a no hitter, but technically not technically by the rules, that's a hit for the batter and an out on the base pass because he was hit by a batted ball, and so and that's it stood. And the point of that was Dad, even though we're saying the same thing, it's different. There was, in my opinion, no chance for that first base or second baseman to field that ball. It would have been in right field, it would have been a hit.
Speaker 2: So it's just the correct call.
Speaker 3: Jet again, the official scorer has he made the right call because you can't punish a hitter just because it had hit a batter when that ball clearly would have gone in. So a pitcher lost a no hitter on the final play of the game, and the final play of the game was a hit, which is just incredible.
Speaker 1: And we have a little bit of time on today's podcast. Can we rip them really fast and do it's.
Speaker 2: In the cards? Of course.
Speaker 1: I've had this pack next to me for like months and we need to rip them. It's been a while, Dad. We did not find the Paul Skins rookie card, by the way, Yes, well it wasn't us, so we can't retire early. Trey Cabbage of the Angels is our first poll out of this deck of cards.
Speaker 3: I believe he was on our All Irish team, right, all Saint Patrick's Day team. All right, we couldn't find anyone named Bob corn Beef, but we had Trey Cabbage on our All Saint Patrick's Day team.
Speaker 1: We go into Anthony Rizzo of the New York Yankees is our next poll.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love Anthony Rizzo not playing this year. His career might be over.
Speaker 2: Who knows. I just know Anthony Rizzo was one of my favorite guys to cover.
Speaker 3: He used to tell me every spring training. He would go there to spring training, even in the prime of his career, and he would struggle so badly as all hitters do.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of spring training.
Speaker 3: He would always ask himself, can I still do this? Can I still hit in the major leagues? That's how difficult that skill is, especially today.
Speaker 1: One of your favorites, Jackson Merrill, is our next call card from the podject.
Speaker 3: Jackson Merril on the disabled list hamstring injury, signed a huge contract. Just had a birthday the other day. Maryland guy, really really good player.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize he was a Baltimore, Maryland guy.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I know friends of mine who played against him, saw him in high school all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and his birthday was this past Saturday from Run of Park, Maryland.
Speaker 2: Wow, twenty two years old, now, I believe.
Speaker 1: And then last, certainly not least Brian Reynolds of.
Speaker 2: The Pirates whoops, that dropped it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brian Reynolds can really hit switch hitter boy. The Pirates got to score some more runs though, for Paul Skiings and for everyone else.
Speaker 1: I know that can be the most frustrated. I'd never ever want to be in a dugout when you know a pitcher gets up one run and they lose one to zero.
Speaker 2: Started a pitcher, It happens. Yeah, all right, Jeff, before we go.
Speaker 3: Easter weekend just to recap, was absolutely great. Had such a good time, even though we missed you and McKinley and Emily because of sicknesses and everything else. But I did have one poor pop pop moment over the weekend, and I think it's I need to share it. The snake is back at our house?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Now, Famously, five years ago, two snakes showed up at our house, both in the garage, both on our doorstep like wanting to get into the house. Scared the life out of me and Uncle Matt of course took care of the snakes. We sent them down to the river and gave them a nice home somewhere away from our house. Well, it was a snake that came back the other day that Jeff. Again, I'm sure it's just a black snake, okay, but it was. It was five feet long, and it scared the life out of me because as far as I'm concerned, it's an anaconda out on our front driveway and it was close to the house. So I panicked because I'm afraid of everything, and I couldn't and Uncle Mac isn't here anymore to.
Speaker 2: Help me, so all I could do.
Speaker 3: All I could do was go in the house and get an umbrella, and I launched the umbrella. I threw the umbrella at the snake. I startled him like a javelin. I threw it like Mary Poppins.
Speaker 2: Let's put it that way. It was so bad, and.
Speaker 3: I didn't hit him, so I didn't hurt anybody. I didn't hurt a snake, a harmless black snake. Your cousin Christopher would have been there. He would have just gone out and picked up the snake and put him, you know, in the grass somewhere. But that's Christopher, not me. I'm the opposite. I'm scared to death of snakes. I can't even get so I threw an umbrella like Julie andrews at him. It was so bad, but he disappeared, but the point is he's still around the house.
Speaker 2: Something to keep in mind for Poor Pop Pop.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, in retrospect, Dad, you are closer to Julie Andrews than you are to Dick Van Dyke in that movie. Can you just establish.
Speaker 2: That that is absolutely clear?
Speaker 3: Dick Vandyke one of the great comedic actors of all time. Dick Van Dyke Show, third greatest sitcom in history to me behind Get Smart and on the family. As long as we're making a list here and I have a list for everything, as you know.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you had a Poor Pop Pop because I have about ten in the bank that I was going to use today, So I'm glad you had that one.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll use another one on Thursday for our third episode of the week. And let's not forget what do we have tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Jeff mel Kiper will join us tomorrow Wednesday wherever you listen to your podcast, And of course the NFL draft ad starts on Thursday, so what perfect timing to have him a full episode just that great interview with is this a great gameer?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Mel Kiper joins us, and.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a lot of football there of course, but it's mostly a baseball discussion, including the day that he met Brooks Robinson and Joseph Abank. I got such a kick out of that. Usually you meet Brooks Robinson, you meet him at the ballpark or a hall of fame, or he met him at a men's clothing store.
Speaker 2: I'm I can't. I just love that story.
Speaker 1: That mel Is gonna tell join us tomorrow on is this a great game or what? Thanks for listening and as always, thank you for being a part of our family.